P.K. called to order at practice

Subban
Coaches took the young defenceman to task at Tuesday morning practice in Brossard.
Randy Ladouceur urged Subban to “wake the (f-word) up!”
P.K. took it the right way: “You can’t be messing up drills. That’s hockey. It’s not a big deal.”

AUDIO after practice: Randy Cunneyworth | P.K. Subban | Carey Price | Tomas Kaberle

P.K. on whether hockey is enjoyable for him these days:”I’m always having fun, man. Sometimes I have too much fun and it gets me into trouble.”

Carey Price on Tim Thomas: “It’s bold and good on him. He’s standing up for something he believes in, I guess.”

If Price were on a Stanley Cup winner, would he meet Stephen Harper?

“I’d be there with bells on. But that’s just me. Everyone has their own opinions.”

Tetteri Nokelainen and Travis Moen are doubtful for Wednesday’s game against the scary Red Wings.

Ryan White still isn’t ready.

1. habsfan0 says:

IMHO PK Subban is a future James Norris trophy winner. If the Habs trade him, it’ll go down as just an astute a trade as the Patrick Roy deal.

2. Bill says:

Of course PK is available. Everyone is available … barring an iron-clad NTC, and even then, things happen.

Full Breezer 4 Life

3. bighabber says:

For all of the criticism that Subban is getting and all of the bullsh*t trade talk, he’s still the best defenseman we have with apologies to Gorges. How many coaches would be giving him the majority of the minutes game in and game out that he gets when their jobs rely on wins and losses if he was so bad. If we have so many great D’s then why is he playing? He does so many good things in a game yet so many of you pick on the one or two mistakes he makes in a game. He’s 22 and trying to improve, yes he gets frustrated when he makes mistakes, yes he might be a little irritable. But who wouldn’t with the constant bullsh*t he hears daily. He is a breath of fresh air on this team. Most would consider trading Price a huge mistake, so would trading P.K. Try and remember how many of the HoF defensemen that have pulled on the Canadiens jersey were stars in their first, second or even third years? How many had to step into the first pairing twosome in their 2nd year? I can’t think of any. Cut the kid some slack and enjoy the ride he’s giving us with the ups and the downs.

4. Propwash says:

If the same words were said to a different player, this would be a non-issue.

_____________________________
    Don’t let the wultures getcha.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Or a player with a similar personality on a less prominent team. I’m absolutely convinced these things happen elsewhere and that Subban isn’t the only young player in the entire league who might have similar flaws so to speak.

• ABHabsfan says:

Putting this as a headline though sure gets lots of folks to post stuff; more hits better numbers to show advertisers, more money for HIO. Damn I just added to the problem…Making PK headline news is good business, keeps the Man Behind the Curtain in single malts and off the blends

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Kinda agree. Two Laffs fought in practice a few days ago and I’m not sure anyone outside of Toronto even knows it happened … because it’s no big deal and it does happen all the time.

I hope the guy’s shoulders are big enough to carry all this.

5. jedimyrmidon says:

“It seems like PK is involved in an incident in practice almost every week now. Emotion is one thing but is he starting to become a cancer for this team?”

That’s the top-rated comment on the TSN article about Subban. Just goes to show the result of the speculation and suppositions brought up by these articles and the media, which tend to lead one thing to another…

• powdered toastmann says:

I was 21 or 22 quite a while ago. He’s done some stupid things, but If I had been subjected to just a small fraction of the crap/ unwarranted/and warranted criticism at his age that he’s been getting of late, I’d be lashing back/doing stupid things as well.

• LA Loyalist says:

Larry Robinson injured himself sticking Q-Tips ™ in his own ears.

That said, we need a coach for the D. While someone screaming sometimes is no biggie, if it becomes ongoing it is not going to be effective.

• PEC Hab says:

Larry’s QTip injury was at the 1981 World Championships. Not saying he wouldn’t have tried that joke on the team, because he was known as one of the “keep the team loose” guys. But if you look at his career it was really in year three when he found himself, after being drafted at 20 and 1.5 years with the Nova Scotia Vees, and not playing much his first year, although winning the cup while playing regularly in the playoffs. Heh, now Larry would be a great coach for P.K. Oh ya, they didn’t return his call.

6. naweed235 says:

As I have said it before I don’t think that this team is too far from being a contender and I don’t think that we need to resort to tanking to get there … A few moves and we are there:
    1) Try to trade Gomez, Weber, Kaberle and Gill… Take whatever you can get in return… In Gomez’s case, if you can’t trade him it’s either the minors or Europe
    2) Resign Moen and AK, give Price a long term at no more than $ 6M per year.
    3) Do what ever it takes to bring Shae Weber here (Give him all of Gomez’s money + 500K more)
    4) Trade Pleks or Eller with Subban to Anaheim for Getzlaf. Throw in a 2nd rounder if necessary.
    5) Bring in Evgeni Artyukhin from the KHL over the summer.
    6)Sign a big tough stay at home D… O’brien (Spelling) comes to mind but there is plenty good ones out there.
    7) IF POSSIBLE, Sign another top 6 winger that can score 20 – 25 goals per year (If you can get Parise then you get an extra cookie) in this case Gio can be traded as well…
    8) stand back and watch this team kick some butt.

Lines

Bourque – Getzlaf – Gionta OR Parise if possible
    Cole – DD – MaxPac
    Moen – Eller or Pleks – AK46
    ARtyukhin – White – Darche

Markov – Emelin
    S. Weber – Georges
    Stay at home D – Diaz

Heck sign me as a GM and I’ll getter done. :)

7. Selkie says:

P K is fine its called learning and i bet he’s learning everything he can, trading him is stupid let the kid develop give him time. how good would you be filling in for the top deffenceman at 22? (just cause he has all star potential everyone is all over him, let him develop into an all star) good lord give the kid a break. if he’s the reason we lose the cup then come talk to me. its alway frustrating when they (deleted) up but look at this season it takes more than one player to make this season what it is! leave him be, he’ll be fine… i’m not worried about him at all! GO HABS GO!!

8. RC-51 says:

PG should trade Ladouceur !!?!!

9. RC-51 says:

Rumours that PK is available for trade should be just that a rumour! In the best interest of the Habs only Price/PK and Pac are UNTOUCHABLES! I would also include Weber even though he’s not playing as much as he should considering this season is a wash. Give the DAMN kids as much ice time as possible, give them the experience they need!!

10. The_Franchise31 says:

I would not trade a 22 year old dman after one terrible managed season… Well it depends on the re-turn lol

11. John Q Public says:

The coach to smooth over relations with the media has announced P.K. will be made interim Captain of the team.

12. habsfansince91 says:

Any of you guys see the footage of the hockey arena collapse a couple days ago?

Some scary stuff.

13. Hobie Hansen says:

OK, woah woah woah….

I just had a free moment to check back on a comment I posted below…

“It’s just amazing the attitude Ovechkin, Semin and Backstrom have in Washington.
    They came into the league, were treated like gods, given huge deals and none of them give a s*%t.
    It sure helps support the argument that Canadian and North American players want “it” that much more and a lot of Europeans come over here to collect a paycheck”

I was called a bigot and a nut and god knows what else.

Do you guys listen to what players, coaches and ex players/coaches say about the three of them?

There’s been a 100 stories about their attitude ranging from them goofing around after losing an important game while other members of the team have been crushed.

I heard an interview with an ex Capital on the Ottawa radio who was traded to Florida and said Ovechkin was generally OK, Backstrom could give a bit more and Semin is just pathetic.

Yes they are fantastic players for sure! But their work ethic and dedication to winning the Stanley Cup is questionable for sure.

Not sure how people missed that?-

14. Malreg says:

Yahoo! must be getting really desperate if they’ve resorted to posting Jack Todd articles…

“Hockey Player Called Out”

15. christopher says:

this isn’t news. poor, poor reporting–i’m disappointed in H I/O.

16. mb says:

I know Marinaro isn’t exactly the one I’d look up to, but still:

TonyMarinaro Tony Marinaro
    Last week I said PK Subban was being “shopped”. @Real_ESPNLeBrun just said on RDS’ le 5a7 that 1 NHL team just told him Subban is available.

Available… I hope not.

• HabFanSince72 says:

One NHL team trying to sow confusion – and dutifully Lebrun repeats it like the useful idiot that he is.

What a putz.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• ManApart says:

What on earth makes you say this particular team who talked with Lebrun is lying? You have no basis for that at all. Complete story-telling from your own brain because you can’t believe that Subban isn’t Bobby Orr like you thought he was. Get with it bro.

• jedimyrmidon says:

That’s how it works, isn’t it? You have an unknown source report something and the mouthpiece repeats, causing other people to wonder about the same thing and then it snowballs. Sort of like the shopping-Cammy around comment.

The same would seem to apply to Ladouceur getting mad at PK: “PK messed up a drill and coach responds angrily” leads to “PK must have attitude problems; seems to fit in with certain previous comments”, which leads to “PK must be a cancer in the room and thus he should be shipped out ASAP”.

• Les Canayens says:

And it will only benefit the supposedly “GM” who spread that, and the 29 other teams, by depicting PK in such negative light so his value will go down, thus requiring less to trade for him.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
          ❝ I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.❞

• otter649 says:

So A NHL GM asks Gauthier what to do you want for Subban so that makes him avaiable when Gauthier answers a question……

• slamtherimtim says:

hes availible if malkin or toews is coming back our way

17. habs_moleman says:

Good for pk. Just saw his interview on Tsn and the thing that struck me is when he said: “I have a great relationship with Randy and I’d hate for you guys [the media] to ruin that.”

That’s exactly what this is about, another stupid media constructed controversy that doesn’t exist. They’ll run the damn kid out of town, just like they ran out so many other great players, and we’ll be regretting it for years. Is he playing great? No. Is he young and learning? Yes. Does he have star potential and a strong work ethic? Absolutely. He’s got an ego, just like every other hockey player, and quite frankly, who wouldn’t if they were 21 and playing big minutes in the show? He’ll work on his attitude, we’ll be patient with his progress, and soon enough he’ll be the kind of player we all expect him to become.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Yeah, just watched the interview as well. That comment also stood out to me. The media, when they smell blood in the water (i.e. a horrible season) likes to bring attention to small things that really should be no big deal.

Here’s the related article: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=385967

• powdered toastmann says:

If this BS doesn’t ruin him…as a young kid given responsibility appropriate for a far more seasoned defencemen, he’ll be much the better for it. Knowing what little I do about his personality/work ethic etc., Under the watchful eye of the right mentor, I think he’ll come back much stronger, much more self assured, and much more effective (in time).

18. HabFanSince72 says:

Manapart says he would trade PK for Ovechkin.

I’m not so sure.

Ovie is signed for a $9.5M cap hit until 2021!

Since 2008 his point and goal production have gone down every year. Right now he is 38th in points in the NHL.

He turns 27 this year.

In my opinion he has clearly fallen out of the top tier (Malkin, Stamkos, Sedins, Toews, etc …), and this for a 3rd year running. He may never get it back.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• shiram says:

What have I started, noooo!

• ManApart says:

I’m sure you were saying the same thing about Malkin a few years ago.
      Ovechkin has more talent in his little finger than Subban does in his whole body. If you turn down a PK for Ovie deal, then just close it down right now, you will never win a thing. You also are very sick and need to go away for a while.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I said “I’m not so sure” that I would trade for Ovie, and explain why – and that makes me “very sick” and ” I need to go away for a while.”

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Habfan10912 says:

Tremendous debater isn’t he? But just in case feel better my friend. : )

• ManApart says:

Even saying you are not sure is crazy. Ovechkin is playing (deleted) yet, last year he had 32 goals and over a point per game. This year he’s on pace for 35 and around a PPG again. The guy has scored 50 four times and 65 once. He’s had four 100 point seasons. He’s also a physical beast. And he’s only 27!!

And you are not so sure? C’mon bro, what do you expect me to say….

• HabFanSince72 says:

Not “you are sick and need to go away”.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• ManApart says:

OK, sorry. I’ll rephrase. You need to take another very hard look at your logic and what will help the team win more.

• The Jackal says:

No way bro!

• sheds88 says:

Check out ManApart’s recent comments….all negative and pessimistic. Are you even a habs fan brah ?

_______________________________________________________________________
            i don’t know why they keep comparing Carey Price to God………i mean he’s good, but he’s no Carey Price.

• viper says:

if ovie is so great why hasn,t he helped the caps win s h i t he is very good but to much money for the habs to take on .and i don,t think he would lead us to the cup either

viper180

• saskhabfan says:

Don’t expect a reponse to your post viper. When manapart gets schooled with posts like yours he doesn’t respond.Trust me,i’ve been doing the same thing to him for a long,long time.

• Ton says:

don’t rule out a trade for OV, he can be traded! he does love montreal! Lots of money however and certainly risk attached to it.

• powdered toastmann says:

I really like PK and think he will be great in the future…but I would still make that trade.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Or it could turn out to be an even worse situation than with Gomez. What a disaster that could be to take on a massive contract like that.

Sure, Ovechkin has been called a generational talent like Crosby, but he’s really been struggling lately (past 2 years) even with all the talent on his team’s top line.

I’m hoping the Habs build through their young players and don’t take any more huge contracts for the time being… especially not one that lasts into the next decade.

• powdered toastmann says:

Hear you…but his degree of struggle (@ a much younger age) does not even come close to matching that of Gomez

• jedimyrmidon says:

Oh, I don’t disagree with you. I was just commenting on how trading for such huge contracts could have the potential to become even worse than Gomez because of its incredible length and even larger salary. Ignoring Gomez’s abysmal production, if Ovechkin cannot consistently produce at a very high level (because that is what is expected of him) then he’s not worth his contract ($$$ and term).

19. ManApart says:

Wow, Subban has really fallen since he started last year. With his Brisebois impressions in many games and being called out as selfish by JM, he sure has a ways to go to become a leader of this team. He may not get that opportunity. I don’t say we give up on the kid, but all options should be on the table.

I am not impressed at all, with his hockey sense. He really isn’t that good. On the PP, the guy has no clue what he is doing. Terrible shot selection, no talent as a passer. Look at a guy like Letang on the PP. He’s head and shoulders above PK in skill.

• HabFanSince72 says:

So there’s Manapart on one side. Every ex NHLer who’s weighed in on the subject on the other.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• ManApart says:

PK’s PP skills are a joke right now. He has no hockey sense. His defensive awareness is also average. He’ll get better, but he doesn’t have the skill people think he does.

I don’t expect you to see that, but those that really know hockey should understand what I’m saying.

• SmartDog says:

That’s the “apart” part.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• fun police says:

looks like you are a student of the rejean houle school of scouting. you have to be trolling for a response. you lost me at “he really isn’t that good”.

• matt jordan says:

two years ago, letang scored just 3 goals.

Manparts wouldve traded Letang for a bag of pucks.

Pittsburgh held on to their asset and developed a talented offensive defenseman

• ManApart says:

I never said the team should dump Subban. He still will be a good defenceman. I’m just saying he’s not as skilled as everyone thinks. He just doesn’t have the brains. He’ll never be a Norris trophy candidate in my opinion.

• Ton says:

manapart your right on this one!!! Your posts are getting better!

• ManApart says:

They were always right on. I’m one of the very few who saw this debacle coming, caused by management, in the first place. As well as calling them out for cap management, lack of size, physicality and every other thing years in advance.

• The Jackal says:

Why don’t you have a job at TSN or HNIC yet bro?

• saskhabfan says:

What use could HNIC have for manapart? Calling manapart a hockey expert(or even credible) is like calling rita mcneil skinny.

• ed lopaz says:

Manapart is not entirely wrong.

Subban has had a real crap season on the power play.

His shooting has been dreadful and he really needs to practice this aspect of his game.

I like Subban’s skating and stickhandling as being at least as good as Letang.

But truthfully, Letang is off the charts unbelievable offensively.

And so it is no shame to be considered behind Letang.

Defensively, I really like Subban’s game.

He angles very well and forces the puckhandler to make plays he does not want to make – taking the time and space away with superior skating.

he also plays with an edge – hitting and rubbing guys out along the wall.

there’s a lot of work ahead for Subban but he is already a d-man who could play 20+ minutes on any team in any situation.

that’s quite an accomplishment at 22

• GrimJim says:

The other part that people seem to be missing is that Letang is a 5-year veteran while Subban is in his sophomore year. And interestingly the year Letang’s stat backslid as a pro came at age 22.

• habs_moleman says:

Letang is 2 years older and playing for the Pittsburgh Penguins, that is a huge difference at the professional level. Besides, check out his stats from two years ago as a 21-22 year old player in the NHL:
      Kris Letang (2009-10) – 73 GP – 3 G – 24 A – 27 P +1 — Average TOI: 21:33

compare that to Subban’s projected stats for this year (from TSN):

Subban (2011-12) – 80 GP – 5 G – 27 A – 32 P +-0 — Average TOI: 23:55

His stats are pretty damn similar to PK’s and he was playing on a significantly better team (and still is). Trade PK and you many very well be trading a defenceman that can be even better than Letang. Every team in this league wants a player like him, give the guy a chance to bloom.

20. SmartDog says:

Driving about an hour ago, Tony Marinaro on Team 990 was commenting about how fans saying we need to trade PK, or Price or Plekanec, are wrong and need to just “Chill Out”. I know this is not an unlikely statement to make, and to bring in Price’s famous “chill” statement makes sense, but it’s exactly what I said in a long post (posted twice) on HIO today.

Coincidence? Sure, it probably is. But wondering if anyone’s had this happen to them before.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• ManApart says:

This team is 2 points out from last place in the Conference. All options should be on the table. I’m not saying go nuts and trade everybody, and it absolutely should not be considered with Gauthier and Gainey at the helm. With the new management team that should come in this summer, everything should be carefully considered and they should be open to listening to anyone who wants to talk.

This team is nowhere near contender material. It is a team that includes Price, Subban and Pleks.

• GrimJim says:

Ah HA!!!! SmartDog just admitted he’s Tony Marinaro….
      Or he thinks with Tony Marinaro’s brain…
      Or he hears Tony Marinaro’s voice in his head…
      Or Tony Marinaro’s voice gives him chills…
      Maybe I should Wake The $%%# Up…

• SmartDog says:

Probably about the second or third time I’ve heard the guy. He sounds like a generic sportscaster….like a cartoon. And yeah “wake the $%*&!! up!!” LOL

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

21. aemarchand11 says:

Remember when everybody was bowing down to PK, and calling a Norris trophy candidate….. back in September? Nobody cared about the risk of his play back then did they? It was “PK being PK”, now hes going to some maturity stages in his career and is struggling, but will overcome.

Montreal fans are so fickle, first Price was the savior, then stumbled and had to go. He was then was signed and it was protested around the message boards until he rebounded, then again was the savior.

Pk was the savior, then stumbled…… Sound Familiar? Thought so.

Its a 22 year old, on a sub-par team playing top 2 minutes. He’s going to be an amazing hockey player, in time.

• viper says:

i agree pk needs some fine tuneing if you will but since we are not gonna make the playoffs this year and hopefully get a real good draft pick i say this year would be the perfect time for that fine tuneing ..he is gonna be one h e l l of a hockey player in the future

Shouldn’t the real story be that Mr. Ladouceur was using inappropriate and foul language in front of our young impressionable hockey team? I for one am truly dissappointed that such language is being used, and perhaps more angered by HI/O practically repeating such language. This website should be R rated.

• Habfan10912 says:

I continue to be amazed at what constitutes news involving this hockey team. A coach trying to motivate a player? What next? Skating drills? Gee whiz!
      I seldom defend these modern day players of the compensation they receive but it has to be difficult at times to play in this environment, no? If it wasn’t so sad it’d be funny. Maybe its funny anyway.

• SmartDog says:

It IS “R rated”! R for RAWESOME!

Uh, sorry… kids were home from school watching Scooby Doo all day.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• habs_flan says:

You live in your own little world if you think that should be the real story. I heard langage far worse than that when I played minor hockey. That’s nothing. Far worse gets said every practice and game then “wake the (expletive) up”.

23. jyeager11 says:

Even Batman & The Joker are making fun of us. :-(
    Look : http://on.fb.me/xoh40i

24. Laramy87 says:

All the armchair GM’s out there saying trade PK for this trade PK for that. 1) thats not going to happen and 2) have someone come in who is going to be a bust in Montreal.

You ppl will see Subban go an develop into one the premier d-man in the league and then all whine and complain that he was once a hab. He is 22 and needs to develope, no one develops over night. When i was 22 i was out drinking and parting my ass off all the time, not having to carry the entire defensive load of the historical Canadians on my back.

Wow! Same ppl who wear trying to chase Price out of town 2 years ago (when he was 22). Now look at him. Let Subban develope and mature he will be just fine.

25. J_P says:

all this subban stuff is blown EXCESSIVELY out of proportion. Everyone needs to get a hold of their lives here. a player being told to wake up in pratice?! definitely the first time thats ever happened! (sarcasm)

26. Donnie Murdo says:

Enough with these kids who think they worth more than they are. It’s time to get back to basics and to listen to the coaches who are there singularly to make this team better.

How fabulous that he’s having too much fun. What a pro he’s turning out to be. Get serious, kiddo.

PK might think that he is Mtl’s saving grace, but his arrogance is going to get him perceived as a problem child and traded out of town.

• D Mex says:

Subban is a 3rd year pro – it’s not unreasonable that he be expected to conduct himself accordingly.

As I listened today to Ovechkin’s weak attempt to explain his ‘ decision ‘ to avoid the All-Star event in Ottawa, it struck me that I was listening to an over-age adolescent who is really only pouting because he didn’t get another dose of the special treatment that he feels entitled to – it wouldn’t surprise me that Bruce Boudreau is having a chuckle about it today as well.

Time for these guys and others like them to grow up : now’s as good a time as any for them to start pulling their heads out of their asses and start to behave like role models and young adults.

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

27. SteverenO says:

@ Tim Thomas

TOP TEN QUOTES

. In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress.

— John Adams

2. If you don’t read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed.

— Mark Twain

3. Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.
    But then I repeat myself.

— Mark Twain

4. I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is
    like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the
    handle.

— Winston Churchill

5. A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

— George Bernard Shaw

6. A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money.

— G. Gordon Liddy

7. Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.

— James Bovard, Civil Libertarian (1994)

8. Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries.

— Douglas Casey, Classmate of Bill Clinton at Georgetown University

9. Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

— P.J. O’Rourke, Civil Libertarian

10. Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

— Frederic Bastiat, French economist (1801-1850)

regards,

Steve O.

28. Phil C says:

One of the issues I have with the lines recently is that Blunden, Darche, and Moen have been playing on three different lines. Among active roster players, only Noki has less points per game than Blunden and Darche. Gomez and Moen would be next on the list. Does anyone else find it strange that you would spread your least productive players out between three lines? I think it negates any chance of synergy and chemistry between similarly skilled players. The MaxPac-DD-Cole line is the only line with three offensively gifted players, and they lead the team in scoring. I can’t help but think Pleks would be more productive if he played with Bourque and AK consistently.

29. Psycho29 says:

YIKES

A non hockey item but Prince Fielder signs with the Detroit Tigers……Nine years, $214-million.
    That’s $23.8 million a season……..

30. montrealtilldeath says:

Another point. Coaches who leave an organization for one reason or another almost never knock the players they coached. It just is not done. JM doing this about players like Subban shows no class at all. We are well to be rid of him.

• ed lopaz says:

OOPS!

Guess the Habs don’t read your posts.

Just announced yesterday that Martin is staying on a special consultant to the General Manager.

Saying that Subban does not “understand hockey” on RDS was laughable.

We could give Martin ANOTHER 30 years – and he would still NEVER win anything at the NHL level.

Martin coaches like the Leafs play.

Martin coaches not to lose.

31. montrealtilldeath says:

Is this silly bugger time? Any one who has played hockey and been involved in practice knows you hear that phrase all time from coaches directed at many different players . To single out an instance with PK for a news article on this is really piling on the BS.

• jmsheehy19 says:

Anyone who watched 24/7 knows that most hockey rinks and locker rooms are completely devoid of such vile language or criticism. This story clearly proves that PK is not only a trouble maker, but more than likely an alien spy sent in to infiltrate and destroy human society as we know it…

What’s that?

I’m reading to much into this you say?

I’m overblowing a story you say?

Well that sounds like something an ALIEN SPY WOULD SAY! HAVE AT YOU!!

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Yes it certainly is and in one clip P.K. tells the media that if they are going to blow everything out of proportion every time he so much as farts (okay, I am paraphrasing) that they’re going to create a &*^% storm that never actually existed.

So how about HIO … maybe take a step back from the bombast and the hyperbole in the headlines. I mean, you get the hits, we’re here and there are enough howling lunatics that the actual bloggers don’t need to fan the flames.

32. Flobomb12 says:

It doesn’t matter what Subban does, just trade him and Price cause all the matters is that we still have this guy. As long as we are double-shifting him and giving him his well deserved PP time, then this organization is in a good place!

33. slamtherimtim says:

they better suspend OV and i am sure they will for not going to the allstar game, this guy is such a baby , its funny

• Hobie Hansen says:

• shiram says:

Subban for anyone of those guys??
        At least could shift the blame…

• Bripro says:

Shiram, you’d trade a future super star, be it with an attitude, who currently plays hard every game against these under-achievers?
          Sorry. PK makes mistakes, but he’s just a kid, with loads of talent.
          So do they, but they bring egos and disruption with them.
          I’ll bet my money on PK…for now.

I would however make him sit out when he mouthes off at the coach!

• shiram says:

I’d have to start be being the GM for the Habs, tough cookie right there.
            But, I was joking, as it’s funny to see other teams have “problem” players.

Also super star for Subban might be a little precocious, while Ovi is clearly a superstar right now, underachieving or not.

• J_P says:

So subban is a future superstar while alex ovechkin and backstrom are underachievers…. Didnt realize that a career 1.27 Point per game average in ovies case (including playoffs) was considered “underachieving” these days… and backstrom…well i mean hes only averaged 1 point per game…but no, subban is a far more valuable player…

• Arrow77 says:

I only agree with you about Semin. Backstrom has never caused any problem off the ice and Ovechkin, despite his rock star attitude, works hard every game and is still pretty popular with his teammates (and ex-teammates).

Also, their level of play is so high, Subban would be lucky to ever reach it.

• Bripro says:

J_P, No one doubts the talent of any of those three players.
            I only mention this because PK shows up for every game, whereas it’s well known that (especially) Semin, Ovy and (to a lesser extent) Backstrom have been on a two-year down-swing.
            Is it permanent? Probably not. But they do have massive egos, and Ovy is like Gomez (only much better) in that he’s a one-man show on the ice, and not much for the team concept.
            Would I realistically trade one-for-one? I’d have to give it some thought.
            Give Subban another couple of years, and let’s see just how good he turns out.

• ManApart says:

If you are saying you wouldn’t trade Subban for either Ovie , Backstrom or Semin, you are an absolute fool. Ok, maybe with Semin there could be an arguement, but Ovie and Backstrom? You must be from the Gainey/Gauthier school of GMs.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“It sure helps support the argument that Canadian and North American players want “it” that much more and a lot of Europeans come over here to collect a paycheck.”

This only helps support my argument that you’re a bigot

“Max Pacioretty could be our Phil Kessel”
        – Sean Bonjovi

• HabFanSince72 says:

Ovechkin is probably the most intense NHL player since Mark Messier.

Nicklas Backstrom has been a ppg player since his rookie year.

They’re both fantastic players.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

34. habinkam says:

I don’t think people dislike for P.K. is because of his skin color. Nor do I think his actions are because of such either. One of my fathers close friends brought up a very good point that I must agree with.
    Non of us can argue hockey has changed for the better (in most aspects) but what is the Major difference in the type of players we are seeing. (now before i go on i am not saying all players fall into any category, it is just an observation and personal opinion)
    Hockey has always been a working MANS game, and since the lockout players have been getting younger and younger. The product we see now is young mans game. Especially if you are growing up in the states, with the way the economy is.. it’s a rich kids game. Most of the gritty players are coming from the prairies or small towns. Most of the younger players have grown up with a perimeter game as “snipers, or goal scorers” The is no honor or work ethic do or die mentality in todays young players. Now im not saying one is better than the other but more and more we are seeing weasels (avery cooke marchand) taking over the game more and more we are seeing players like Pax Subban and many other just to use habs as examples of player that have never had to overcome any “hockey adversity” i cant say what type of life any players have had as i dont know them, but pax and subban are both well educated and come from secure family’s from what i understand. Not to say they are bad people or hockey players for that matter. But when it costs 4000$ per season just to play midget AAA you are going to limit the number of players, due to income of there families that will even try out for these teams. Thus giving us the rich boy product in the NHL we see today… I feel P. Kane is the perfect example of this.. Great hockey player but really just a spoiled brat…. As much as people hate him here (myself included) Lucic is at the other end of the spectrum. He had a less than ideal upbringing and was forced to work and earn everything that he got. Played Junior B one year before being drafted. Now look at the type of player he is, yes dirty but putting the blue/blanc/rouge glasses away for a minute any one in this city would kill for a player like him in the CH. My point regarding subban is this: would he have been forced to overcome adversity early on in his career or in life this would not be the first time he would have to overcome it making it a little easier for him. Also would he have had a harder walk of life we would have seen a different type of hockey player as well, less flashy and selfish, but just as talented. All in all when we say the next generation is selfish and lazy with an un earned sense of entitlement, we have to apply it to hockey as well.
    I don’t think any player with the exception of Gorges on the habs really understands what it means to wear the CH. I think it eludes even our captain and best players (plecs included) at times. If the habs are serious about winning and serious about respecting the fans in the product they put on the ice, they need to find players that do the same. That will live and die for their teammates, their fans, and the CH on the front… not the name on the back..

35. MacHabFan says:

Tom Brady, remember him, practices like he is playing the game and always fighting to keep his position. In case you forgot, he knows how to win championships.

Subban …. earth to Subban!

Listen and learn.

36. habs178 says:

It’s interesting how Ovie can skip the all-star game this year, but Datsyuk and Lidstrom were both suspended a game for missing the all-star game in Montreal.

37. BLACK ICE says:

@ RGM:

Thomas sure looked like Carey’s PAL @ the All star game last season. He wouldn’t give Carey the time of day!

• RGM says:

I totally assumed a couple things once. It’s fun eh?

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez, a potential Hall of Fame player, has two Stanley Cup rings and a Calder Trophy that says ‘I’m a player whom any authentic NHL coach will rely on to fix a game problem.’” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

38. SmartDog says:

You play how you practice.

That’s why inattention in practice is unforgivable. And given his brain cramps lately… he needs to sort out why he’s making mistakes. Or the coaches need to keep at him.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

39. ZimHabwe says:

Mr Boone, I honestly don’t understand why it is so important for us to know that one player was called to order as if it is an unusual thing for a coach to out a player. Only in Montreal……. sigh. If PK is f—ing up and we the fans can see it then I’m sure the coach sees it better. That’s why they pay him the big bucks. Or else we would all have jobs coaching.

40. RetroMikey says:

lol!
    Way to go Ladouceur! PK needs to show whose the coach!
    I’d trade the cocky young kid or send him down to ride the buses in Hamilton and learn the game of defense.
    Fearless prediction, if PK is not traded, this kid will sign on to greener pastures and not play for Montreal much longer when he becomes a free agent.
    As for Thomas, kudos to the guy.
    We live in a world of democracy not tied up in shackles to be forced to see a Harper or Obama.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• RGM says:

RetroMikey for Habs GM effective the 26th of Never!

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• lenny says:

Fail for Nail

• HabFarmer says:

Ok, you know we gotta get this straight. You pronounce “Nail” like “Nayeel”, apparently. So technically it would be “Fayeel for Nayeel”.

There, now I feel better.

“No, I see. The monkey’s out of the bottle now!”

• Bill says:

So you think the Habs should trade PK ’cause he’s a jerk, but you think Thomas is a great guy. K.

Full Breezer 4 Life

41. SmartDog says:

This might get me in trouble but:
    A. Racism is certainly not rare. It just is. And there is some of that with PK… he’s just ‘different’, looks different, acts different. He stands out. it’s not right but there it is. He’s a big boy though, and smart enough to shrug off a bit of it. I respect him for that.
    B. Racism, IN MY EXPERIENCE is more tolerated in Quebec. A friend of mine who was a Political Science PHD said that whenever you have government-endorsed nationalism, racism gets a bit more freedom. I had another friend who was a therapist (of all things) and who would use the “N” word. I stopped being friends with her after awhile. She couldn’t understand why that mattered, said she was “only teasing” and her friends did too. It’s different here. The issue isn’t really PK in Quebec…. but again, there it is.
    C. PK is an awesome dude. But he needs time and he does need to STFU and listen. And I hope he does. AND that he gets that time. Wild colts are hard to tame but so worth it if you’re up to the task. He could be a dynamite player for us – or for someone else if we can’t keep him improving.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• shiram says:

Only PK can change people’s opinion of him, and it seems his antics have only had a negative effect on the way he is perceived.

• TomThompson says:

So….he is responsible for changing the opinion of people who are biased against and hold him to a higher level of conduct because of his skin colour?

• slychard says:

One time while talking to a tourist here on the island when I told him I was from MTL he mentioned how during a visit there he was treated great but his friend was somewhat discriminated on. He’s a black man, his friend is American Indian. Racism differs by region I suppose.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• ed lopaz says:

The Red Sox were the LAST baseball franchise to have a Black on their roster.

The Celtics used to be an NBA team that had very few Black men in their lineup – for some reason.

PK is booed in Boston for no reason.

To this day there is a racial tension in Boston unique to that city.

42. Habitoban says:

All this Subban scrutiny stuff reminds me of that great Martin Luther quote: “When I fart in Wittenberg, they smell it in Rome.”

43. Jim Edson says:

A sulking Russian diva?

Who could have guessed?

———————————————————————-
    What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

• slychard says:

You anti-Russite…

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Jim Edson says:

How do you come to that conclusion?

Just stating the obvious when the Great 8 takes a powder from the ASG cause the league had the balls to suspend him!

———————————————————————-
        What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

44. ed lopaz says:

at G-Man.

sorry to reply up on top, but this site really sucks when you want to discuss something.

you wrote:

Am I missing something?

Do you think that almost every team rolls 4 lines equally??

Because that is simply not the case.

there are very few teams that can roll 4 lines – because the $500,000 players on the 4th line are not nearly as talented as the $5,000,000 +++ players on the first 2 lines.

look up Time on Ice at NHL.com

and show me how many teams are rolling 4 lines.

Do you want Nokeilinen on the ice as much as Plekanec?

Its not going to happen.

our 4th line can not handle the minutes.

Darche is barely NHL calibre this year – another example.

Cole has been double shifting because he’s been so good.

I agree with it.

if you don’t have the depth, you need to over play your best players by a long shot.

• G-Man says:

Successful teams do roll 4 lines, giving their 4th liners close to 10 minutes a game. I know circumstances affect ice time- a team behind one goal usually double-shifts the top scorers- but the general rule should be the same. A 4th line of energy players mixed with physicality can change the game’s momentum. If the 4th liners in Montreal aren’t good enough, why are they still on the roster?
      Otherwise, screw having 4 lines. Dress 3 with 6 D and forgetaboutit.

• ed lopaz says:

but you are critical of the coach’s of THIS HABS team – which obviously does not have the type of 4th line players you are describing in your post??

the Habs coach’s have to coach the team they have.

not the “successful” team that you wish we had.

• G-Man says:

That’s the thing. The way RC is coaching, it’s as if management has decided to throw away the rest of the season. 7 Dmen every game is fruitless. Double-shifting players hasn’t worked. It may be time to do something radical, like playing 4 lines.

45. otter649 says:

When The ASG was in Montreal Ovechkin threaten not to show up if he did not get #8 so Komisarek who was entitled to #8 gave it up and wore #44 for the game…..

46. MiltonHab says:

Another slow media day? Leave the kid alone…..

47. Due to Alex Ovechkin’s 3 game suspension,
    he has to forfeit just under $155,000 for 3 days pay.
    Should we take up a collection for him?
    Maybe the Bank of Montreal would handle it.

Also, he is refusing to go to the all-star game saying and I quote:
    “I got suspended, so why should I have go there?”
    I think he needs our support, the poor baby.

So in other news, Leaf News, Jonas Gustavsson will be an UFA this summer. Given it appears he has taken over the number one position on the Leafs, is Burkie going to have to shell out another contract for Jonas and match Reimers? Will be interesting how it plays out.

49. Fansincebirth says:

Is this the only hockey city where a coach yelling at a player can be blown out of proportion the way this (RC & PK) is?

Just read PK’s media response and I think he’s 10 times more mature than the ones asking the questions!

• Les Canayens says:

1) Yes

2) Oh yes.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

• TheDagger says:

It’s something that Tortorella hasn’t ever yelled at any of his players during practice, isn’t it!

• RGM says:

C’mon, just yesterday they were tried to make hay out of two “guys that look the same” on the Leafs getting into a fight at practice.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

50. BLACK ICE says:

WTF is wrong with Price? He keeps talking about Floppy as if he is a great guy!

It is time Price to wake the F up!

• mb says:

You have to tell Pierre Groulx about that, so he can tell Price at the next team’s practice.

Then we’ll have another non-story to discuss!

• Furk says:

I wish Pricey had beat the crap out of Floppy when he had the chance last year.

Size does matter! The Habs are a living example of that.

• RGM says:

They’re pals. Why is this problematic for you?

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

51. Habs_4_ever says:

Please get off his case! P.K. can’t even scratch without someone making a big deal about it. I’m sure every day someone, somewhere in the NHL gets “called to order” and no one gives a crap about it.

————————
    “Can we lose the parade float?…..Thank you!”

52. habs178 says:

Sorry my comment below is for lopaz…but my phone thought it should correct me.

53. habs178 says:

Lopez:
    Habs fans boo Chara every time he touches the puck. Does that make them racist against Czechs?

I think people just don’t like Subban’s attitude, and I doubt that most dislike him cuz he’s black.

I personally think he makes a lot of dumbass mistakes, but I realize he’s young, and hope he grows out of it.

54. G-Man says:

Next Thread: PK farts in other people’s hearing.
    Seriously, it’s nice to add another thread. The other was simply too crowded…with comments.

So do we speculate Moen is hurt from the Hit Komi put on him? To not have Moen or Whitey in lineup Wed sucks. Wonder if the team will call up Leblanc for the game.

56. RobertAlanFord says:

Reminds of JM yelling at Sergei Kostitsyn during practice a couple years back. “WTF are you doing over there?!!!!”.

• Les Canayens says:

Or Mario Tremblay’s shout match with Donald Brashear.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

• RGM says:

Someone made a couple great motivational posters out of that.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

57. habs03 says:

So were going to play with 10 Forward and 8 D-men next game. Oh man its going to get ugly when we trade Moen/Gill/Campoli/Maybe A.Kost. Bright side, we’ll have money to spend on a good forward, two if A.Kost isn’t kept, and a good D-men this summer, and get a nice top 5 pick :)

Perhaps we finally unveil the 2 – 3 system with 2 forwards and 3 dmen on the ice per shift. Campoli/Weber/Kaberle will play the 3rd dman and serve more of the Rover role which was common in the earlier versions of the NHL.

• G-Man says:

I am wondering when the hell RC gets his head out of his ass and plays 6 Dmen with 12 forwards. Roll 4 lines. The Habs can’t be much worse.

• habs03 says:

Randy Ladouceur too, calling out Subban on the bench during the Pitts game. Atleast JM never did that to players on the bench. Cant wait until both are gone after the season.

ps Eli is going downnn!!!!

• G-Man says:

Sorry, 03; Brady going to find his receivers too frightened to catch footballs (I hope.)

Got your back on this one Gman! The Giants front four is going to inflict pain on Brady and his sore shoulder. Should be a great game!

• Bripro says:

G, I hope you realize you’re going to have to change your avatar after my man Brady mixes and matches. Sorry bud!
            And Gerry, how do you expect a team that barely took it in OT to hang in there against the Pats’ machine?

San Fran was arguable 2nd best team in the entire NFL all season behind Green Bay, so therefore you beating a team of should be convicted felons because their kicker dreams of becoming Scott Norwood or Lee Evans who figured he could start celebrating before he landed on the ground, are in no position to speak of how you got there.

Add to that simply put the Patriots defense SUCKS!

• G-Man says:

@bripro- Brady hasn’t had this front 4 to deal with. Rushed passes make it hard on the receivers to complete their routes. I am hoping for a 35-32 game.

• Bripro says:

Sorry to disagree guys, but I don’t think it’ll be a repeat of their last SB outing. It’ll take more than a lucky recovery on a Williams fumble.
            I think his tight ends will pick the blues apart, IF (Big if) Brady can hold the pocket for the time he needs it.
            Granted, NY’s front line and blitz are pretty good (I can see your eyes rolling), but if Grongowski and Hernandez can stay unchecked, they’ll outrun your blue shirts.
            I agree on the 3-point spread though, for the Pats. 31-28.

Bri, Bri, Bri (Shaking head slowly) how can you say Giants win lucky, while your team is in because Lee Evans dropped a sure touchdown and the Baltimore kicker Shites his pants on a 30 yard chipshot. Giants front 4 pretty good? I am a Steeler fan who hates the Pats and the Ravens, but I admit that Giants have an excellent D and an excellent QB.

Two more weeks of trash talk Bri! LOL

• Bripro says:

Gerry, Gerry, Gerry (laughs to himself as he visualizes Gerry with his head in his hands)…
            How can you say that a Machine for an offensive line, with a center weighing in just short of a Sherman tank, sucks?
            Carter and Anderson alone accounted for over 20 sacks this year.
            Bruisers.
            The only thing sucking in two weeks will be the Giants’ fanbase’s breath.
            I hate to break it to ya, buddy, but you have a much more honest perspective of hockey. ;)

• ed lopaz says:

he explained that 3 weeks ago.

Gill is a PK specialist

kaberle is a PP specialist

they are playing more limited minutes than they did under martin.

I think its the 3rd time I’m posting the same thing.

• G-Man says:

Look, ed, it’s still stupid. 3 weeks later. Why manage player’s minutes when the playoffs are a just a distant dream? Play your best possible players. If that means Diaz, Gill and Kaberle rotate in and out of the line-up, so what?

• ed lopaz says:

they are playing their best players.

they are trying to limit the exposure of Kaberle’s and Gill’s 5 on 5 play,

they NEED Gill for the PK

they NEED Kaberle for the PP.

and Diaz is better 5 on 5 then both of them by a long shot.

its not stupid – it makes very good sense.

• Bripro says:

They need more than just Kaberle on the PP. They need a miracle.

• G-Man says:

@ed- anything that prevents the club from rolling 4 lines (like pretty much every other team out there) is not smart. Diaz- for all his offense- is too small and soft to play regularly.

• Bripro says:

I’d rotate Weber rather than Diaz.

58. Propwash says:

Another mountain out of a molehill.

59. remi_10069 says:

I’m a big Gomez fan despite his drought but thought this was pretty funny. Prolly old news but still. They should add others to the list..

“Did PK slew foot someone and then run away like a girl?”

didgomezscore.com

pipes

60. Hobie Hansen says:

I could be narrow minded on saying this but I haven’t see any evidence of racism ever demonstrated towards PK Subban.

Even the banana throwing incident in London this year involiving Wade Simmonds…who gives a s%^t?

It was some dumb kid, in London Ontario, who through a banana. He represents 0.0001% of hockey fans.

I find it quite stupid that anytime a black player is in a bit of hot water that people turn it into a racism issue. Get over it. It is 2012.

• TomNickle says:

If you haven’t Hobie, forgive me, but you’re being naive.

The attention paid to his every single word, shift or action off of the ice and the criticism that accompanies most of it is the result of what I detailed below.

a) People disliking him for his celebrations for on ice accomplishments.

b) Fans of opposing teams not enjoying an excellent young player enjoying success.

c) Racists who don’t like a black man thriving in a white man’s game.

If the attention paid to him weren’t race related, then why didn’t Mike Richards take more heat for his actions as a young player?

The truth is, Subban’s extroverted demeanour and the colour of his skin come together to draw unnecessary attention and criticism.

My comment specifically toward a poster here was an indirect accusation that this poster was a racist by the way. Saying that Subban has a “yo yo smart ass” attitude is a racist comment. That poster should be sent packing immediately. While there are no slurs used, the intent of the comment is obvious.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I agree with you 100% Tom.

PK has received an unreasonable amount of criticism and attention for doing things that MANY young players have done before him.

When I hear comments like “PK Subban thinks he’s in the NBA” or other similarly loaded statements, it tells me all I need to know about why PK Subban is disliked by so many.

• ed lopaz says:

thanks Tom – I could not have said it better and it needs to be said.

• jrshabs1 says:

I’m talking hockey….. not a 2nd year social science class. I don’t care what colour P.K. is, was or will be. P.K. is not 1/2 the player he was last year. End of my story!!! Say what you want “Tom”, I know what I see and if P.K. was playing at the level he was last year then I’d think he was great.
        If you are running for election somewhere good for you. I’ll vote for you only ’cause your a Hab fan.

Go Habs Go!!

• TomNickle says:

I wasn’t calling you a racist. And I’m not quite sure why you put my name in quotation marks. He’s having a poor season sure, he’s also 22 years old and is the most skilled skater this team has had in quite some time. The way to aid his development isn’t to throw him under the bus at every turn.

• jrshabs1 says:

I know you weren’t calling me a racist. I would just like to see P.K. play like we know he can. I’m sick of his antics..actually I’m sick of defending his antics to all my friends that aren’t Hab fans. To quote Bob Gainey ” just shut up and play”.

Go Habs Go!!

• Hobie Hansen says:

I realize that you were speaking to a poster Tom and I should have clarified I wasn’t speaking directly to you.

I just find it ridiculous that the topic of racism still comes up. That’s all.

And I’m not defending the poster in any way. But Avery could be considered a “yo yo smart ass” and so could Steve Ott.

My girlfriend is Native and I have plenty of black friends and co-workers. And yeah, I wouldn’t feel uncomfortable describing PK’s attitiute as “yo yo smart ass.” I don’t find that racist at all.

You’re a little too sensitive if you think “yo yo smart ass” is racist.

• LA Loyalist says:

Well, Tom, here we go again. The comments you list (except obviously the black one) could apply to Ovechkin, too. He rubs lots of people the wrong way, but last time I looked, he isn’t black.

“Freedom is the ability to tell people what they don’t want to hear.”
        — George Orwell

• ed lopaz says:

Hobie,

I think I’m a little older than you – I’m 47 – so I remember a different era – in the very late 60’s as a young boy, and then the 70’s to today.

you are right – partially – that it is 2012 – and the “racism issue” is not the same as it used to be.

but don’t kid yourself.

racism is alive and well all over our society.

and it comes in different forms.

like some posters on this site who NEVER have a good word to write about Subban – ever! – even as they claim to be habs fans and Subban is clearly one of the best defenceman on this team

or in Boston when Subban is booed every time he touches the puck – why is that exactly??

like the people who believe in the double standard that Subban is not “allowed” to “mouth off” at other players without “backing it up” –

do you know how many NHL players never stop yapping and never fight – or very rarely fight like Subban – dozens and dozens.

subban is not “allowed” to celebrate – its “in bad taste”.

Subban is not “allowed” to carry the puck –

and it goes on and on and on.

when I was a kid, it was less subtle.

that is true.

but racism is alive and well, Hobie, unfortunately, alive and well.

• Habitall says:

Fact is hockey has always been a conservative sport, and showboating has always been frowned upon. Remember when Selanne and Jagr started with their stupid machine gunning and saluting after goals? These guys were Europeans, but their showboating was regarded in much the same way that taunting your opponents in the end zone would be. Remember Gilbert Dionne beating his chest after scoring a game winning goal? The guy was savaged for it. Exuberance is a good thing, but PK’s one of those guys who teeter on the edge.

And also, regarding yappy cheap shot artists — they called Kenny Linesman “the Rat,” everyone was after Claude Lemieux (remember how the Flyers ganged up him during pre-game warmup in the playoffs and nearly beat him to a pulp?

I’m not saying some people don’t like PK cuz he’s black, but there’s plenty of evidence that the world of North American hockey doesn’t like his style, even when they see it in white guys.

That said, I like the guy, but would prefer it if he tones it down. Which, I think, he will.

61. BadHabit says:

So apparently Ovie has decided to pass up on the All-Star game. Sounds to me like he’s pouting…

We are kind of lucky, any normal NHL week and this PK practise thing would be big news. Thankfully Thomas pulled his stunt, Ovie did this, and news out that the Devils are pretty much broke.

• Les Canayens says:

Wait til next year when the Kovalchuk $11 million per year salary kicks in. Ouch.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

• They were talking about OV on Xm 92 this morning. Pretty much called him a little baby who’s taking his ball and going home.

Never liked the player and this just adds to the dislike. Thousands of kids are going to the AS game to see him and get his autograph and he says NO.

Shane Oliver
      http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
      Custom Sports Figures
      Brandon, MB,Canada
      R7B 2R7
      hockey@sholi2000.com
      Ph- 204 724 8418

• Les Canayens says:

So he too pulled a Tim Thomas.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

62. mb says:

I don’t mean to interrupt this very busy hockey news day, but apparently, TSN can’t figure out how to put a 50%/50% result on their poll.

Results are 49.9% and 50%

OK, irrelevant, of course. But still, I’ve never seen a TSN poll so close.

63. For no other reason than I needed a break from designing my latest custom and read Big G’s reply earlier.

Favourite Non Hab

Vladislav Tretiak

Not sure when the Summit videos came out in the early 80’s but that’s when I knew I loved the guy. My ol man was one of the best goalies on the Island, so I was always a goalie fan. But when I watched Tretiak play for the first time, I was more than impressed.

Then later on in life he was interviewed for different documentaries and I read his Sports Illustrated interview. I found out he always wanted to be a Canadiens goalie, and then the story of his 1983 draft was told. Man, could you imagine having him play for a couple of seasons. I know it was at the end of his career but it would have been historical.

I loved the guy so much I named all my Huskies after him (we had three purebred Siberian Huskies).

Most famous Canadien to never wear the jersey.

Vladislav Tretiak.

Shane Oliver
    http://www.Sholi2000.com Inc.
    Custom Sports Figures
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

Always liked Tretiak as well Shane, I too had hoped he would play a couple years for us.

• Bripro says:

That was a great read. I had never seen it before. Thanks Shane.

• RGM says:

Dude, Tretiak was a Hab. He was a bust as a draft pick, though. LOL

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Les Canayens says:

So how can you differentiate your 3 dogs if they’re all named Vladislav Tretiak?

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

64. Rad says:

Just a quick heads up to Mr. Boone … you have a typo on Nokelainen’s first name :)

65. CanadienBoy says:

Roy said it best ,if u gone miss the playoff mind as well finish last, then get a top pick ,better i said pick up his protege Gry…ko and make Patrick the coach

• who cares any more says:

As if we needed yet one more reason to dismiss the prima dona.

definition of insanity: keep doing same thing expecting a different result

• Furk says:

Patrick coach?? I’m a big fan of Roy for his accomplishments and his over-confidence on the ice. However, Roy will not be able to put his ego on the side to coach and mentor guys like Price and Subban, who also demonstrate the on ice confidence he did.

Size does matter! The Habs are a living example of that.

66. slychard says:

Sen John Kerry (D) Mass looked more like a hockey player then the bruins during the visit.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Les Canayens says:

Even better, he got that look from a “friendly hockey game”
      haha he even did a boxing pose in the video.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

67. jmsheehy19 says:

Did this really need a new thread?

68. HABZ24 says:

about time someone told pk off. hes young with a yo yo smart ass attitude. he is playing over 20 mins a game gone to his head now he needs to calm down think smart think team first

• TomNickle says:

What is it exactly that Subban has done to give anyone the impression that he has a “yo yo smart ass attitude”?

Nice racial tone mixed in there. You’re wading into dangerous waters, I’d head back for shore.

• jrshabs1 says:

P.K. plays like a rodeo clown….
        is that better?

Go Habs Go!!

• TomNickle says:

I’m not sure how you could interpret PK’s style as a smart ass style of play. I don’t see him sarcastically passing the puck, but that’s just me.

Seems to me that some people have a personal problem with Subban and that it’s effecting their judgement of him as a hockey player.

• Shane1313 says:

Thanks for being reasonable on this. I actually think PK is a great rep of the game. He loves it and has fun. I’ve never seen so many people crap on someone for that.

• jrshabs1 says:

He dives… he turtles… he runs his mouth. he makes bad defensive plays….he doesn’t score very much…..he gets in fight’s with his team-mates…he argue’s with the coaches.
            This is not a personal or racial issue..it’s the fact of life for P.K. He needs to clean up his game, keep his mouth shut and earn his $$$$.

Go Habs Go!!

• TomNickle says:

There are three groups of people who don’t like Subban.

1) People rubbed the wrong way by a kid who celebrates on ice accomplishments.

2) People who are fans of other teams and don’t like that he’s an excellent young player.

3) Racists.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

jrshabs1:

At the salary PK is making right now on an entry-level deal, I would say he is earning it and then some. I don’t know too many players who make under $1 million and play 25-28 minutes as well as PP and PK time.

• TomNickle says:

@ JR

He’s fought three times in less than two seasons. He fights on his own terms. Not unlike every other player in the NHL who isn’t a paid fighter. If you want to say he turtles, be prepared to include every non-fighter in the NHL. Because they walk away from fights consistently under the direction of their coaching staffs and by their own judgement.

He runs his mouth? To opposing players? Yeah, sure he does. And other players do too. Lecavalier is one of the mouthiest players in the game. I don’t see people coming down on him for it.

He doesn’t score very much. He’s a defenseman playing 25 minutes each night at the age of 22. If you want him to be a 20 goal scorer and 60 point player, you’re expectations are out of control for the time being.

He gets in fights with teammates. Got anything to say about Tomas Plekanec? Who has now had two fights with teammates in his career as a Hab.

Keep his mouth shut and earn his money? He’s being paid around $900,000 while Markov is making $5 million to go to a trainers room, Gill makes $2.75 million playing under 15 minutes each night, Kaberle earns on the high end of $4 million, Gorges earns $3.9 million. The list goes on and on. What defenseman with this team not named Emelin deserves more money?

Your idea for what a hockey player should be isn’t a universal standard for every athlete to live by. Sorry if that upsets you, but he’s going to be PK Subban, not JR’s version of what a hockey player should be.

Perhaps it’s you who needs to grow up.

• Les Canayens says:

+1+1
            =+2

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

• TomThompson says:

Of course, when PK hits someone, he is expected to fight anyone who may have taken objection to the hit, despite the fact that (a) he’s a skilled player who doesn’t know how to fight and (b) people take runs at him all the time and unfortunately the habs don’t have enough fighters to back him up.

I really liked the contrast in the Montreal-Toronto game, when Komisarek levelled Moen, then ran away from a fight. The commentators made the excuse that “oh he was at the end of a long shift, of course he doesn’t want to fight”, yet Komi~ stayed on for about 35 more seconds. You can guarantee that if it was Subban people would have been outraged over his failure to back up a clean hit by getting in a fight, possibly injuring himself, with the habs ending up losing their top defence (in terms of icetime).

• JUST ME says:

Who gave him 20 minutes of ice time ?
      Why did he play 20 minutes at least every game ?
      Who yelled when he was benched last year ?
      Who would be innocent enough not to go through his temper tantrum associated with his young age ?
      Who is against the coaches giving his special attention instead of blaming the habs of lack of developpment energies toward the youngsters?
      Who would be dumb enough to trade a guy that obviously has a natural talent for the game ?
      What would the habs look without him ?
      Who would yell and play the blame game if he was traded ?

Questions that might as well find answer now when it`s time.

69. Ali says:

the same reporters who make mountains out of molehills complain about how everything PK does is scrutinized. Jeez.

70. LesHabs says:

Good on Ladouceur.

PK is going to be a star in this league.

71. TomNickle says:

It really looks like Randy Ladouceur has rubbed a signifcant number of players the wrong way. I’ve seen him in some players’ ears on the bench and it looks like they’re just tuning him out.

Wonder if he’s maybe a bit too aggressive in his approach with these guys.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Maybe Gauthier will “Pearn” him and replace him with Trevor Timmins or some other management member who has no coaching experience.

• db says:

He’s a rookie too….

• D Mex says:

Habs sitting 24th overall as I write this : only 6 teams and 12 points stand between them and last place overall.

Seems to me that a ‘ significant number ‘ of players NEED to be rubbed the wrong way on this club. True professionals, and by this I mean adults intent on grabbing every opportunity to improve and play hard, should have little difficulty receiving the tough message and responding. It’s a sign of character.

Maybe what you’re getting at is that there are a ‘ significant number ‘ of prima donnas on this team … this 24th-place team …

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

RePosting, didn’t see new thread

Well I just heard Butch Goring on the radio here in GTA, and was reminded of why he was one of my favourite non Hab players of all times. (Aside from the fact is from Winnipeg, okay technically St. Boniface)

He was talking about the Islanders and said that Garth Snow is doing a good job getting the team back in order after Mike Milbury sent the franchise back Light Years!.

Love it Butch, Love it!

73. lenny says:

And he HABS gong show of a season continues!

74. alwayssunny says:

Poor little Timmy Teabag, another spoiled millionaire getting paid to play a child’s game and doesn’t want to share any of his rewards. He heard someone call Obama a Keynesian and is convinced he was born in Africa.

75. shiram says:

Bah, they made it into news.

76. jrshabs1 says:

Unless P.K. changed his name to Bucky Larson he’s not a star.

Go Habs Go!!

77. Furk says:

Hopefully the extra money doesn’t make his heart skip a beat!

Size does matter! The Habs are a living example of that.

Haha, LOL, I knew you could find a way to blame Gomez for this Sh&#storm. Too funny my friend.

79. ed lopaz says:

I agree with you Habsolutely.

If the fans at the Bell Center start booing him, that will trigger a trade.

And then Subban will go on to have a 15 year career with another team.

His skating and stickhandling are definitely hall of fame potential

80. SmartDog says:

I agree with Habsolutely. And getting my hair cut today (in the very French “Sports Barbershop” in St. Adele) they were saying how the Cammallerri trade was necessary because of Gomez. Gomez is the kick-in-the-pants that keeps on kicking. He’s getting worse. Sure he has a good game here and there when the coach really puts pressure on him, but most games he’s LOUSY, out of position, lazy. He’s a disgrace. And the Habs biggest problem.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

81. habsfan0 says:

Re: a) Interesting. Habs got rid of Cammalleri and Halpern,both Jewish. Now, this sentiment seems to be rising against PK.

82. mb says:

Really??
    OK, maybe I didn’t get your point. If that’s the case, I apologize. But seriously, are you implying that Montreal fans are running players out of town because they’re Jewish, or Black, or whatever?

If so, you guys must not walk into Montreal streets a lot then. Many, many different cultures and MANY Montrealers would tell you they embrace this diversity.

83. LA Loyalist says:

… good thing we’re not paranoid around here.

84. habsfan0 says:

I did not intend to imply or infer that conclusion.

I was merely stating a fact,let others draw their own conclusions.

85. Trisomy 21 says:

As many Anglos as there are in Montreal, it’s funny that there is no tolerance to have one which doesn’t speak French as the head coach, no? I just mean to say what you see on the streets isn’t necessarily what people want in the hockey team they support. Although I’m aware it’s a minority of people who don’t want Cunnyworth as coach for that particular reason.

86. mb says:

Alright then, I apologize.
    I just thought that’s what it sounded like.

Those crazy left wing Alaskan Mexicans!

88. HabFab says:

Damn Palin, she “rat”ed out Scotty didn’t she?
    She had better be careful, in Alaska they don’t throw shoes at politicians…30 pound salmon is the norm. Smack that b….. down. Holy king crab!!

89. Da Hema says:

I am more concerned about those evangelical Republicans, such as George Bush Jr., who want global war so that Jesus will arise and presumably save our collective souls. These people have their hands on some very powerful weapons.

90. Les Canayens says:

Or shoot from a helicopter.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

91. Bripro says:

You’d better watch what you throw at her.
    Remember, she can see it coming from clear across the ocean. :)

92. HabFab says:

Those fools are scared crazy!
    Seems that Romney is a Mormon and Obama a “closet” Muslim (bet you didn’t know that huh) SO poor American will not have a Christian President.
    Actually those fools are just plain crazy!!

93. mb says:

I can’t disagree with you about the language stuff you pointed out. However, I think religions / skin color are not the same as language. I know I’m gonna sound picky, but if RC was black or if he was buddhist or atheist or …, BUT he was able to communicate in french, then people wouldn’t care as much. I don’t think they’d care at all, in fact.

And I don’t think it’s about intolerance.

I really don’t want athat language debate started once again, but I’ll just say that my point is that people are scared. Yes, scared, that their language would disappear, after all this nation have gone through in terms of politics and culture. And since the Habs are one of the most, if not the most, valuable and important organization to the French Canadians, I can fully understand that this language “issue” concerns them.
    (I use the word “them”, but I might as well include myself in that group, even though I support RC whatever language he speaks.)

94. Trisomy 21 says:

That point makes me look at the situation a little differently. Being an Anglo from MTL my first impression got me a little annoyed that it seemed to be a matter of intolerance. Although this wasn’t my intention to spark this debate, I was merely using it as an example of the comparison of the people who make up the city and who is on the team either as a hockey player or management.

95. Da Hema says:

If the Tea Partiers in the US had more common sense, they would direct their inner rage to dangerous fools like that instead of half-baked conspiracy theories that the US government is now co-opted by alien (and by this is meant real aliens, e.g., not Mexicans) forces bent on the total destruction of the United States. At any rate, the US will not need “alien forces” to be destroyed — the American people are doing a fine job of this all by themselves.

It’s conversations like this when i almost miss E1.

97. Da Hema says:

Call me a fool, HabinBurlington — many do — but this is the second time I have seen the acronym “E1.” To what does that refer?

Hmmmm, how does one explain this. I am afraid to say for he sees and hears everything. An intriguing poster who hasn’t been seen in awhile, unsure if he moved to St. Louis or his visit to Area 51 in Nevada has taken longer than he expected having run into family.

99. HabFab says:

E1 is the acronym for Everlasting 1, the poster with the weird avatar and the long biblical quotes as his signatures. Into aliens and conspiracy theories along with Halak and the Blues.

100. CanadienBoy says:

Can believe all the B…..s about PK today really what it is people don ‘t understand trade him for some body as good and what happen, tell you what no chemistry ,PK and Price been facing adversity together since day one ,throw Georges ,Pleck ,Max ,Markov ,DD and AK and u got guys fighting it out night after night that is what create teams chemistry ,that’s once in a well produce cup if PK was traded right now do u think Price would not second guess where the team going i sure would

101. Bill says:

Still one point up on Bolts, don’t be negative, lol.

EDIT: oh ….

Full Breezer 4 Life

Can I be posinegative?

Habs are 0 points away from last in the East… with games in hand.

Or is that negapositive?

103. Bill says:

They actually can’t help but Tank. You don’t even have to ask!

Full Breezer 4 Life

104. citizenSanto says:

you could load a whole supertanker full of your posinegativity.
    However, your tankard only looks like it’s half full of negapositivity.