Owuya eyes blueline job with Bulldogs

Sebastian Owuya

Sebastian Owuya with Team Sweden in a 2010 photo.
Bruce Bennett, Getty Images

Swedish defenceman Sebastian Owuya says he’s decided to seek his hockey fortune in North America because the style of play suits his game. The 20-year-old is in Sherbrooke with the Hamilton Bulldogs at the AHL club’s training camp. Pat Hickey has more here.

Here’s more on the Bulldogs camp, from the team’s website.

• In the Czech Republic on Sunday: Locked-out Canadiens Tomas Plekanec and Tomas Kaberle are in action with HC Kladno, on the road vs HC Ceske Budejovice. The game is due to stream live here at 11 am ET.

From Saturday’s Montreal Gazette:

How Denis Brodeur came to shoot Canada’s most famous sports photograph: Dave Stubbs
Habs oldtimers skating for a good cause: Brenda Branswell
Bulldogs hopeful Corbin returns to his roots: Pat Hickey

Coming to HIO later Sunday: Stubbs’s in-depth one-on-one visit with Canadiens defenceman Andrei Markov, and a companion sidebar on how the Russian has been rebuilt inside and out.

And former Canadiens defenceman Sheldon Souray, now with the Anaheim Ducks, is auctioning the Habs gear (he’s photographed in it below) and that of the Edmonton Oilers and Dallas Stars he’s dug out of boxes in his Malibu, Calif., garage, all proceeds going to an Edmonton children’s hospital. The eBay auction, linked here, ends shortly after 4 pm ET on Sunday. Dig deep if you can for a good cause. Click here to link to the auctions of Souray’s Oilers and Stars stuff.

1. Bripro says:

Frustration song no. 4

Cue the music.

I slave off to work on a Monday morning
    Earning to save lots for a game soon
    I’ll be looking out before Bettman’s got it right,
    I’ll be crying on a Sunday afternoon

Blogging on every weekly evening
    And making a vague attempt in the afternoon
    I come from hockey town, I’m just an ordinary fan,
    He doesn’t get the sense that it behooves
    I’m hoping to be watching on a Saturday night (There I pray again)
    Or I’ll be crying on a Sunday
    Yearning on a Sunday
    Withdrawl-ing on a Sunday Afternoon.

*********************************************
    “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

2. Mark C says:

Brady Vail is looking like another Brady with 2 goals and a helper after 2 periods today. He’s off to a good start with 4 goals and 8 points on the year.

You guys figure out how to get this link. You have to see this.!
    “http://www.youtube.com/embed/dcgpghm2tGw?rel=0″

Shut the Puck Up (NHL Lockout Song) – YouTube

4. Rad says:

So Sebastian Owuya, who was originally drafted by Rick Dudley, says “I’m a bigger guy and like to hit people and knock people off their feet.” He had injuries last year, but prior to that he played a full year for Medicine Hat in the tough WHL. Hey, maybe this kid will come through for us, we could use the attitude.

5. English is not a Crime says:

Looks like the lockout is hitting those out of work players hard, forced to auction off the clothes on their backs to make ends meet… what a shame. (I’m kidding of course, and I’m firmly on the players’ side of this debaucle, so don’t misinterpret the sarcasm for scathing sarcasm or anything.)

6. New York Times article claims Bettman is running the NHL show and isn’t simply a puppet…

Telio

The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

• HardHabits says:

There was never any doubt in my mind that Bettman is ruining, er I mean running, the show. He’s not the first person who has turned a profit for an enterprise. He wont be the last.

For all the income he’s garnered short term however, I still perceive that his methods are creating alienation and animosity among the most long standing and die hard hockey fans. The most ardent among us are being held hostage and upon release are being charged a fee for our detention.

I am happy to see the expression of disgust among fans but only hope that when hockey returns they don’t forget the object of their disdain.

Bettman needs to go. It’s not just about profit. In life there are those who make a better quality product, make a smaller profit margin, who care about their customer and take pride in their work. Added quality service is added value.

Currently, the NHL’s culture is one of lowering standards and raising prices.

Eventually their will be a backlash. There is far too much to do in life and enough hockey outside the NHL to put this ponzi scheme in jeopardy. Bettman is getting a little too smug for his own good. He’s running the risk of being an architect for building a house of cards.

I want to see it come down around him.

This last 20 year period of NHL history is a blight on the game. The sooner the NHL has a new commissioner the better. Hopefully the next one will be more concerned with the product and not just the packaging.

• Welks says:

I read something similar in the book ” Counsel in the Crease” by Robert Swados. He was the formal NHL executive counsel and member of the board of the Sabres for years. He covers his tenure from the beginning of the Sabres until he was forced out of his NHL role by Bettman shortly after he took over.

7. commandant says:

Today I look at the WHL U.S. Division, home to the Portland Winterhawks, and one of the top prospects for the NHL draft in defenceman Seth Jones.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Boomer says:

potentially the next Pronger (skill wise)

• commandant says:

I don’t know about that.

He’s got the offensive game, but Pronger is a dirty S.O.B. and a mean defenceman where you need to keep your head up against him.

Jones has the offensive skill, and the size, but he’s just not mean and nasty right now. He’s not a big hitter, or a threat out there.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s an excellent player, and he’s good defensively and offensively, but I don’t think Pronger when I see him. Not mean enough.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Boomer says:

For sure, I meant more along the lines of talent, I dislike Pronger and Chara because of the nasty streaks but I gotta give it up when it comes to talent. I meant more along the lines of what he brings to the table with skill. He’s already big but lacks the nastyness. Maybe a year in the WHL will bring some out of him lol
          One things for sure, we got a few good reasons to watch the Americans at the WJC ;)

• frontenac1 says:

Thanks Commandant. Keep those reports coming. They are much appreciated Amigo.

Wonder if we can motivate the Gazette to start following the Hamilton Bulldogs on here more closely by putting up daily news of the team on here. They are in Sherbrook right now, then their pre season games, as well as following them into the regular season.
    There is a lot of players that will be wearing the Red White & Blue next year and beyond playing great hockey this year!
    Waiting in vein for the NHL is a losers story!! Forget them for this year.

Ian

• ProHabs says:

I agree Ian. The NHL is dead to me. Bettman and the owners blabbed about having a close relationship with the players after the last lock out and working together from then on. They also talked about one of the reasons for the last lost season was to lower ticket prices. It was obviously all BS.

I hope if this lockout lasts a year, the result is the riddence of at least 5 existing teams. Make some of these owners and players pay for their greed.

• frontenac1 says:

Same with me Amigo. Not even thinking NHL anymore. Fifteen bucks to see great OHL hockey here in the Limestone city. Is satisfying my addiction nicely.I am also envious of you lads at the other end of the Lake who will be watching the Dogs regularly. Last lock out I was coaching Midget hockey and we had people out for weekend games that never came before and they loved it. There is plenty of great hockey being played out there at a fraction of the price. Get out and enjoy it amigos, the big money BS will never kill our game. Saludos!

• Ian Cobb says:

I agree with that my friend, maybe we can take in a game together later on. In Kingston or in Belleville.

• JF says:

I envy you guys who live anywhere in southern Ontario. You can buzz around from one OHL team to another and keep tabs on a whole bunch of them.It is ironic that, although many NHL players talk about Montreal being the greatest place in the world to play hockey, it is actually a bad place to watch hockey. No AHL team within reach, no junior team; the nearest is Blainville-Boisbriand. I’m hoping that if the lockout is prolonged, RDS will show a bunch of Bulldogs games.

• English is not a Crime says:

I’m blessed to live within about an hr’s drive of a half dozen or so OHL arenas that I frequent each season. Tickets range anywhere from 15 bucks a pop to as much as 21 *gasp* bucks a pop in the more popular buildings (or in other terms, I could see 1 Leaf game in the cheap seats or 10-20 OHL games in the most expensive buildings for the same price).
            On top of that, there’s almost always at least one of the Canada/Russia jr games that hits one of those half dozen arenas each year so I always manage to catch one of those as well.

I agree, in certain areas of Southern Ontario, we’re beyond blessed with a plethora of great hockey games available to us, and it sure makes it so that the lockout isn’t carrying nearly as great a weight on us.

• JF says:

To English is not a Crime: You should read Ellen Etchingham’s superb piece on Canadian hockey, “Ice Houses of the Holy.” She is an American Habs fan, but this piece is mainly about junior hockey, especially the OHL. It is written with passion and brilliance, and recreates exactly the atmosphere of those smallish Ontario cities and of the junior rinks:

9. Habfan10912 says:

Happy Sunday to you as well Ncognito. Agree. Good to read about hockey for sure instead of the other crap occuring to the game today.

Edit- Misplaced post. Meant to reply to Ncognito below.

10. centre hice says:

Molson could have the Bulldogs play in Montreal this year and probably make more profit than in a NHL season.
    They would come close to selling out every game. Ticket prices would be cheaper, but considering he isn’t paying NHL salaries……….
    Plus it’s another venue for them to sell beer, which is Molson’s real business.

• joeybarrie says:

Its too bad he doesn’t own the Bulldogs. Montreal would be great to have them play. However Hamilton and Andlauer probably wouldn’t be too happy.

• commandant says:

Other teams wouldn’t be happy either.

Remember the AHL schedule is planned with minimizing travel costs and a lot of bus trips in mind. A team might go on the road and play Rochester or Toronto one night and bus to Hamilton the next (or vice versa).

Moving the team to Montreal, where flights would be required and increasing the league travel costs wouldn’t make their opponents happy, especially AHL teams that are not owned by their NHL team.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• B says:

Geoff Molson, the person, is but one of a group of investors (albeit the principle one) who own the Habs. Molson’s brewery itself does not own the Habs, although they may still hold a small percent of the team (I am not sure if that is still the case).

I doubt that Molson’s brewery makes any more off of one of its beer being sold at a Habs game than it does when one is sold elsewhere (there may even be a bulk discount in place that makes the price per beer from the brewery even lower at Habs games than say at your local bar). I believe the profits off the huge mark up on that beer being sold at a Habs game goes to the players (57%) and the team (43%), not the brewery. I wonder if that beer would be any cheaper if they didn’t have to give the lions share of the profits on its sale to the players? :)

11. Ncognito says:

Happy Sunday – Thanks for Bulldog reads!