Ovie vs the flag kid: Not a scandal, folks

OK, not that Alexander Ovechkin needs my support, but here’s a little background on his pregame kicking of snow on the socks of the young Canadiens flag-bearer that’s got so many folks’ knickers in a twist.

Here’s the YouTube video of it (image at left is from the RDS feed).

When Washington emerges from their room across
the Bell Centre rink, every Capitals player turns a few quick warmup laps. Not Ovechkin. Not
last night, not for Game 3 Monday. Ovie sprints absolute full bore
across the ice to the Caps bench, hits the brakes and immediately takes
his seat at the end, beside where the Habs’ backup goalie sits.

Other players need the fast laps to get pumped. But Ovechkin does this. Game 3,
he came so hard that his stop nearly sliced the stray cable of the
cameraman kneeling on the ice to shoot the Habs coming onto the rink. He’ll do the same for Game 6, if there is one and if he’s not in the
starting six.

The good news is, this flag-waving
kid will live forever on YouTube. Too bad for him the snow from
Ovechkin’s skates melted on his socks, or he could have sold them for a
pile of dough on eBay.

But imagine if Ovie had slipped. They’d
still be taking the kid off the boards with a spatula.

1. sidhu says:

I agree 100%.

2. sillywalk says:

Yeah, 41 home games this year and only the Caps managed to NEED to enter that door of the bench while spraying the kid and almost pulling the flag onto the Caps’ bench at the same time. Ovie knew exactly what he was doing.

3. sprague cleghorn says:

Sorry, when does the Leafs’ opening round series begin?  I haven’t seen any coverage yet.  I mean, really, people complain about Toronto getting so much media attention in this country, but, to be fair, they’ve had zero playoff coverage for years and years now.

4. Keith says:

Good one Frank! laff fans should never be allowed to reproduce. They probably don’t know how to do it anyway.

5. PattyBoy31 says:

Crosby had nothing to do with it

6. cautiousoptimist says:

Come on guys, this is some serious mountain-molehillery — he probably did it on purpose thinking the kid would love it, and he was probably right.  If Ovie had given the kid a toothless grin and a playful nudge with his glove afterwards, we’d all be talking about what a classy guy he is.  Was it potentially dangerous?  Maybe, in the same way that it’s dumb for dads to toss their kids up in the air and catch them — but there’s a big difference between doing something a little reckless to make the kid smile and being a jerk on purpose.

Either way, that kid is now the coolest kid in his class, and he’s got a memory he’ll never forget.  He can thank the league’s best player for that.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat

7. Bob Barker says:

Marleau? You mean Johnny No-show in the playoffs. He’s big and talented but he obviously doesn’t play well when the pressure is on.

8. Caballero says:

The kid should have impaled him right on the flag.

9. Storm Man says:

Like who? This team has no one that could whip him and OV knows it. If he does this in Boston number 17 will make OV his ….. you know the rest

10. oshawahabsfan says:

Well we don’t need a goon for one thing. Considering what that guy did in University hockey, it’s embarassing that Hamilton signed this two bit thug. Absolutely useless hockey player

11. yves_on_habs says:

Really, I think Ovie’s got all the talent in the world…

But it was reckless. All it would have taken is one speck of fabric from one of those flags.. or a gum wrapper….etc.

Alex would have crippled that kid (and himself I suppose) in the process.

I think it would have been funny if the kid would have draped the Habs flag on him or something for retaliation.

Yeah Alex, you’re a big star. But you’re still a human being like the rest of us.

– Yves –

Blog – http://yvesonhabs.com

Twitter – http://twitter.com/yves_on_habs

12. PattyBoy31 says:

Does it really matter what he usually does? Just because its Ovechkin and he’s all intense and mighty, doesn’t mean he doesn’t have to respect the fans and CHILDREN at the opposing teams arena. Any other player in the league (besides maybe avery) would have gone to the other door or directed his snow to the LEFT of the door.

13. zozotheclown says:

Theres something to be said for getting in the zone, I realise each player has their own routine, and some need to follow it perfectly to feel comfortable performing at the highest level. But the thing is alot of athletes need to consider why they get to be in the zone, why they get to follow any routine they want and make millions doing it. Its for the fans, sports are a form of entertainment, they only get to play for money because people want to watch it. That said, I think as entertainers they need to do a little more then just perform on the ice (and I realise they all do), which is why I’m not a fan of players who don’t sign autographs in general or in this case do something like this, because is it really that hard to skate slightly diagonally instead, and snow the boards right next to the kid?

Anyway I don’t feel bad for the kid, he probably loved it lol, but it still looks bad, even though no harm was done.

14. Storm Man says:

15. Big Ted says:

You can say all you want about how he does the skate every game, but even then, it doesn’t take much to stop three more inches to the left and not spray the kid. There is no doubt in my mind that Ovechkin saw that as an opportunity to get away with angering the fans a bit. After all, we’ve seen how he waves and jumps after his goals, we’ve seen how he tried to make a controversy out of Halak’s wavering hand. If the guy had any respect, he wouldn’t have done that to an 8-year-old kid. Imagine if someone had accidentally left an American flag at center ice so that when the other kid went to light the flame before the game, it had gone up in flames. You don’t think Americans and Boudreau and the caps would be upset? We could say, oh sorry, we light the center ice before every home game in the playoffs, I guess it’s a shame your American flag was there… Ovechkin knew perfectly well what he was doing, and as someone else pointed out, that doesn’t explain why he squirted water at the kid too. As I said before, he is a good hockey player but he is classless and unsportsmanlike. I hope someone from the Habs actually saw this and challenges him on it next game.

16. Bob Barker says:

It’s too bad Price didn’t hit Backstrom harder, like Clarke on Kharlamov hard. Price gets suspended maybe but they lose a huge part of their offence and coming back from 3-1 seems less daunting.

17. Instant Karma says:

He looks like a crazy MFer .. that would be great on the habs

18. Storm Man says:

Join the club

19. Storm Man says:

He is the one that does the lineups how much icetime one gets and the game plan, Cammy was 3 for 5 on faceoffs lastnight you would think JM would have kept him taking faceoffs, Im not just pointing the finger at JM alone dont even get me started on Hammersuck, The Molson bros need to clean house over the summer PB PG and JM need to go and get some new fresh hockey people running the team.

20. Le Jadester says:

Ya, hard days ahead if we have to talk about this.  I hope JM really gets put on the hot seat this summer cause it seems like all his bone head moves and coaching philosophies really kept this team from realizing its potential. I believe we underachieved under his leadership.  I would bet that we would overachieve with Boucher if a miracle was to happen and he was named the coach next year.

Anyways if you think Ovie was bad , check out what Stevei Gerrard does to a little kid wearing a Chelsea Jersey.  Too Funny !

Habs, OLE !

21. ColRouléBleu says:

Perhaps someone forgot to tell Ovechkin that there are doors at both ends of the bench.

22. ColRouléBleu says:

“But imagine if Ovie had slipped. They’d still be taking the kid off the boards with a spatula.”

So this is like hits to the heads no injury so all is cool?  Sure the kid is probably a hero in school today but what Ovechkin did is still careless, classless, dangerous and stupid.  He can make a show after every goal if he wants to or even have at it with adults spectators during a game if he wants to but , you know, messing around with kids is something else.

23. Barts says:

I was at the game on Monday night, and the kid on that side appeared to wave the flag in Ovechkin’s face as he attempted to get on the bench, so this may have been a reaction to that…

24. HabFanSince72 says:

Off topic, but if we need a goon for next year this joker from the Bulldogs isn’t the answer:

25. PeterStone says:

Maybe put the kid on D….couldn’t be any worse.

Perhaps the organization should just focus on putting a better product on the ice?

26. Storm Man says:

JM Dinosaur I think as a man you should stand up and do the right thing and step down in the summer. I for one think todays game has passed you by, You will still have a job with the team for the next 3 years but not as coach or GM thanks for your time this year all the best to you.

27. nunacanadien says:

Hey, we all know Pierre Gauthier and Bob Gainey can do way worse, we’ve seen it time and again, what get rid of Plekanec so Gauthier can scout a small forward thats smaller than Gomez or Gionta?

28. nunacanadien says:

29. nunacanadien says:

I thought it was Scott Gomez, or in fact it could be any of the Habs in fact, with exception of a few, considering 6 feet tall in the NHL is small now a days, no wonder the west usually wins the stanley cause the playoffs have become the classic struggle between brute might and talent.  The exception would be well very few in fact.  Of course this doesn’t stop Gainey’s scientific experiment to see if he can win with might mites.

30. SLONCOLD says:

ovi was being playfull with the kid. you guys would complain if he skated by without saying hello to him as well. i’m sure the kid was like” omg ovi skated right by me !!!!”. not what an a*s*s…

31. HabFanSince72 says:

Marleau has no goals and one assist in 4 games so far. Last year: 3 points in 6 games

He makes Thornton look like Mr Playoffs.

32. 123456 says:

good one. i’m a big gionta fan bc he’s from my hometown.

secret mod

33. SportsDude says:

Why no mention of RDS reporting that Ovi also sprayed water on the kid from the bench… or is that part of his pre-game warmup as well? If a Habs player did that to a kid in another city we’d be ripping him as well this morning.

34. Frank2468 says:

Classy reply, kind of expected from a Laffs fan.  Say what you want jaw back and forth that’s OK but when it comes to kids all bets are off jerk.  Your response is the kind of thing that happened to my daughter when she was wearing her Habs jersey.  My kid was waiting to get on the ice to skate and she was just talking about hockey and happy to be wearing her new jersey when some stupid ignorant Laffs fan turns to her and says well guess we can’t be friends then because I’m a Laffs fan.  My kid just looked at him and me and I said in return was don’t worry honey you wouldn’t want him as a friend anyway, he’s a Leafs fan and they haven’t won a cup since daddy was your age, their just jealous.

I don’t understand why people have to be mean to kids I don’t get it.  Kids have told me they are Laffs fans when I was wearing my Habs jersey and all I ever said the kids is.  That’s OK your a Laffs fan and I’m Habs fan.  I hope your team does well.  By the way I never use the term Laffs with kids I use the proper term Leafs.  So mickygrabovskiiiiilz guess your response here is the kind of thing you would say to a kid.  My advice to you my friend is not reproduce your gene pool has been found lacking.

35. SLONCOLD says:

is JM creating turn overs? he’s doing the best he can with the lineup he has. lots of people talk about adding this or that person into the lineup but we’re talking about 3rd and 4th liners being scratched or played, not exactly deal breakers…

although i have to say mab and his icetime is a bit strange

36. Chuck says:

He certainly cringed.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

37. Olay Olay Olay says:

Ha ha, I can only imagine how big the kids eyes were when he say Ovy coming at him 100 mph.

38. Olay Olay Olay says:

Ovechkin may be a lot of things but a boor is definitely not one of them. I would put Crosby in the superstar boor category.

39. Caballero says:

I wonder if the new players had a hard time adjusting to the pressure of playing in our building during the playoffs?

40. Olay Olay Olay says:

LOL. Little G is awesome.

41. punkster says:

Ah the children on here Ian, the children. Let’s just focus on the hockey.

42. Dave Stubbs says:

And if he played in Montreal, he’d be eccentric, intense, and one hell of a talent.

Don’t worry about it. The kid survived and he’s a legend in school today. He’ll be telling his grandkids about this.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

43. smiler2729 says:

Ovenchicken is a classless boor, no matter. And OV is a bad beer.

44. jimmy shaker says:

That was a good site, thanks!

And if I added up all those players salaries that we are on the hook for next year (not sure if all the guys that are in Hamilton count or not, but I added everyone who has money owing to them next year looking off this list).  Basically we have 9.05 mill left aside after all the boys under contract are paid, we pay laraque his 1.5 mill (or does he only get half)?  We have 9 roster spots still available.  7 forwards and 2 goalies to share 9 or 10 mill.  Our D is all tied up and it doesn’t look good.  Markov, O’Byrne, GIll, Gorges, Hammer and Spacek.  All signed and locked for next year….OUCH, not a good start for next season in my books.  So can PG spread out 10 mill over 9 players?  Don’t think so.  After he signs Pleks, and a goalie that number goes down to about 3 mill left over for 7 roster spots.  Man we are in trouble next year, unless we get 5 rookies that all come up here and have unbelievable seasons.  Man now, I’m even more pissed!  Thanks Laramy!

45. CoachJoe says:

Not a bad name to toss out there..except I still don’t think money spent on Plekanec would be wise…but Moreau might fool people around here with the family name into thinking he is from chez nous

46. DraftBeer says:

You make too much sense. Why are you on this board?

47. PeterStone says:

I dont think he is tradeable .. i am going to guess he spends next season in Hamilton.  We need the cap space, and he uses too much of it for what he brings to the party.  At this point I would rant about who brought him here, but, I guess I will eventually have to let that go.  Maybe its time I do that now.

We also need to make a move at C.  I think we have painted ourselves into a corner with our 2 tiny Centers .. I guess it could be worse, we could still have Grabovski on our team.

48. DraftBeer says:

Little cheese with that whine?

49. DraftBeer says:

The kid should sell the socks on eBay.

50. DraftBeer says:

51. SLONCOLD says:

as quick as naming a captain lol

Slower days are coming! is this our only news to gripe about?

How about the way we play in Washington. I would have prefered to play all our games there instead of the Bell.

53. jimmy shaker says:

Frustrated is the word of the day!  THese guys have had a shot every single game, but Washington comes down the ice and score almost at will it seems.  Where are guys just haven’t been able to bury there chances.  Knowing that we’ve played well enough the last couple of games, arguably our best hockey of the season and it still isn’t enough is another source of frustration.  And the last cause of the frustration is that we are stuck in mediocreville, not bad enough to get high draft picks and not good enough to be a continual favorite year after year.  Since most teams are built through the draft nowadays, and we are usually picking in the middle of the pack, we haven’t been able to catch any big name kids in the draft.  I’m not sure what the answer is….. For the Price/Jaro angle, I want them both back……but if one is traded, I hope it’s done quick and not speculated in the media for days and days for me/us to all ponder.  I would let Poulliot go, if he’s not under contract and let PATCH have a shot at that line next year.  Hopefully this year in Hamilton has done the trick for him.

54. Mr_MacDougall says:

Ha, Marleau? I watch a lot of west hockey, and he doesn’t wow anybody.. and 6-7 million could be spent in a much better way.. hewll, we may be able to resign Plex and get Ethan Moreau (who I like a lot) for that price

55. mickygrabovskiiiilz says:

waving a disgusting flag like that, the kid was asking for it.

56. Mr_MacDougall says:

We wait one more year. Sad, but true..

57. CoachJoe says:

Why sign Plekanec?  I like the guy and he is a very crafty player…but we have a center in his role under contract in Gomez.  We do not need two “number 1 goalies” and we do not need two “number 1” centers unless they are different body types.

IMO, Patrick Marleau has to be the #1 priority of this team in the off-season.  Woo him, clear spce for him (Hamrlik), and get him under contract.  Gomez and Marleau I can live with.

58. craz11 says:

Poor Brian Gionta. That’s him holding the flag right?

59. Caballero says:

Ask yourself if Crosby would have done that, how about the Great One, how about Lafleur or Jean Beliveau. I think he should have given the kid a little tap or something.

60. topher5468 says:

Shaker, how are we this Morning, Me, Im sooooo depressed. I really believed this team could win. I guess this team has zero margin for error and we make to many of them. Hamr must go, I want Price to be our Goalie, I think halak is good but I own 2 Price Jerseys and I cant afford to buy another one. I was down on Pouliot and most of the other Posters were against me, Mr Boone especiallly. I guess I was just real frustrated. I like Pouliot but I guess I was expecting him to be a goal scorer. I think he will get better.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

61. Say Ash says:

All season long, I thought those were two of our players. Kids, eh? Go figure.

62. craz11 says:

That kid got hit with an Avalanche! And we’re not even playing Colorado!

63. HabFanSince72 says:

I think the bottom line, roughly speaking, is that after we sign Plekanec and one of the two goalies, and a coupe of cheap forwards (Moore, etc …) we will have very little left to work with.

Count on more or less the same team next year with a few rookies thrown in.

64. jimmy shaker says:

Hammer was the “Monster” for the Caps 3 wins and the TSN turning point in for the habs in all 3 losses.  How can we get rid of this 5.5 mill waste of skin?

2nd question:  the cap is going up by 900,000 next year, so what does that bring it to?

3rd question:  can someone give me all the guys who are under contract for next year and their respective cap hit as well?

I probably could do the digging on my own, but I’m going to pull a Hammer and let you guys do the work for me!