Over to you, Shanny

justice_is_blind
First order of business for Brendan Shanahan on Monday morning: Jordin Tootoo’s hit on Ryan Miller Saturday night.
It was the Buffalo goaltender’s first game back after the concussion he suffered at the hands of Milan Lucic.
What a league …

François Gagnon on Jacques Martin’s job security

Pierre Ladouceur’s game report card

1. songles says:

It looks bad, but Gionta does something like this on most nights. He’s just a wee little man so it doesn’t seem as dramatic. Given Tootoo’s size and the general recklessness of the play, it probably deserved a minor penalty.

2. Bill says:

Tootoo is taking the puck to the net and when he loses it, he has far less time to react than Lucik had: get real! Tootoo could have annihilated Miller but he tries to skirt him instead.

No suspension I’d say. Which means that idiot Shanaha will give him 5 games right? Haha!

Full Breezer 4 Life

3. Drive_For_25 says:

This league is a JOKE!!!!!

ANDREI MARKOV IS A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Chrisadiens says:

Is this a joke?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

Apparantly the HI/O filter is broken again, Spam getting through, only thing missing is some fine Corinthian Leather Gloves for $12 in that post.

• Bill says:

lol

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Danno says:

No plane. Helicopter boss. Rescue mission – wink, wink…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Drive_For_25 says:

I’m definitely not laughing about either of those two things. Not an “anti-fan” over here, just think the whole Markov situation is ridiculous. He’s made of glass, was never very productive in the playoff’s anyway and is taking this long to recover!! I really don’t think he’s putting in much effort to get back out there, otherwise he’d be playing by now. Watch his “Your Canadiens” segment from before the season started last year. The host asks him how his summer was and he said it sucked because he had to work out all summer to rehab his knee!!!! So that means if he’s not injured he’s not working out in the off-season??? That’s why Ovi’s coming back down to earth and we should ditch guys like Markov. Good, not GREAT, good player but no heart!

But other than that you have nothing against Russians correct?

• Drive_For_25 says:

Did I say anything about Russians?? Not my fault if they tend to be the ones with no heart. I say the same about lots of Canadian players too, like “big” Joe Thornton.

• Drive_For_25 says:

Your profile pic is a joke by the way too!! Canadian Hockey all the way!!!!!! haha

Although I do really like Emelin. Hope he’s the real deal.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Bripro says:

So, you have nothing to say against Russians except they have no heart. I guess your next post will be that you never generalize.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

And I thought Dr. Recchi was dumb. You make him look smart.

• C_exacte says:

LOL, we’ve got a donnybrook!!! You may only insult Gomez, Darche, Budaj, Cammalleri, Jacques Martin or Pierre Gauthier without retaliation.

4. Vid says:

Too me this isn’t as bad as lucic. Lucic followed a totally straight trajectory before hitting Miller. Miller clearly got to the puck first and Lucic had plenty of time to try to avoid contact.

Tootoo here doesn’t have a straight trajectory at all thus he isn’t coming into Miller with as much momentum plus he’s also fighting off a Buffalo Dman. To me it looks like Tootoo tries to jump over Miller but fails at it. It’s complicated by the fact that the Buffalo Dman was trying to box out Tootoo making it hard for Tootoo to avoid Miller at all. Tootoo will probably get suspended which I’m fine with,

But whatever suspension Tootoo gets, Lucic should’ve gotten more and it only makes that mistake more glaring.

5. likehoy says:

I like how kostitsyn has been quietly productive this year.

he’s putting up points like it’s nobody’s business

- If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

6. rwp1990 says:

how great is it going to be to see Leblanc on the ice in MOntreal?
    can’t wait for the Blue Jackets game.
    Is is just me or is Eller turning into a beast before our very eyes?
    this team is going to surprise people down the stretch.

c’est le but!

• Danno says:

That is going to be very special indeed.

And Eller is improving all the time.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

7. JasonM says:

I think not Boone.

Looking at the replay, the only reason Tootoo goes over Miller the way he does is because he’s trying to stop. Right as contact is made his skates are actually on the ice and Tootoo goes flying over Miller because he managed to lose enough momentum to avoid plowing through him completely.

An unfortunate play and probably worth a minor penalty but it probably wouldn’t have been a 5+ game (along with media attention) if that wasn’t Miller on his first game back.

Basically, Ehrhoff’s cut the angle and 22 had nowhere to go.

If you didn’t suspend Lucic for his obvious hit, you cannot suspend 22 for this unfortunate incident. This is what happens when you don’t do your job right the first time around.

Not saying this because “I don’t like the Bruins” (in fact I’d take Lucic in my team any day of the week), but when 3/4 of GMs thought it was suspension, you did your job badly.

• DearyLeary says:

What are you babbling about, it’s easy to suspend Tootoo. The problem is that now Shanahan is going to try to vindicate himself for absolutely butchering that call. He’ll say it was in the crease, that Tootoo left his feet, that the principle point of contact was to the head blah blah blah…

But he’ll say that because he suspended a 4th liner in Tootoo that he’s not soft on offenders. It’s the same old poop from the NHL front office.

But come on, defending Tootoo? Erhoff barely touched him.

• LafleurFan says:

There is a goalie crease. Miller was plain for all to see, in his crease. Any player including the Buffalo defender who would have decided to cut across the crease was going to collide with Miller. A very dangerous play and the non-occurence of serious injury was pure chance.

From Tootoo’s point of view, colliding with a padded goalie was much less likely to cause HIM injury than alternatively colliding with the net.

“May you live in interesting times.”

8. Chrisadiens says:

Good news for Leblanc. Palushaj assigned to Hamilton. Maybe he will stay with the big club?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• 24 Cups says:

I hope not. Last time that happened we almost ruined MaxPac.

Leblanc’s hockey resume (in terms of quality playing time) is pretty thin. The best thing in the world for him is to play a ton of hockey (in all situations) in Hamilton.

Lots of young kids look good for the first dozen games in the NHL and then hit the wall.

It’s a shame that White has been out so long. His chance to step in and shine has been wasted. Just like Markov, it’s really hard to know what level of play White will be able to perform at once he finally returns.

You also have to figure that Gomez’s eventual return will mean another forward will get bumped.

• Chrisadiens says:

Thats true, but I remember SeriousFan09 commenting that he’s been a perennial rookie everywhere he has gone. He’s performed pretty well at every level. No need to rush him though, you are correct.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• twocents says:

I agree, Steve,

It will be nice for the kid to get a game in Montreal, but I hope it’s not a permanent thing.

To that end, I hope he doesn’t light it up in his first game and pressure builds to keep him here.

• 24 Cups says:

Eric – I think a lot of this depends on when Gomez and White return.

White hasn’t even played a game yet, so as I mentioned he needs to go to Hamilton for two weeks. He won’t enter the picture until 2012.

Think what you might, but when Gomez is ready he’s taking someone’s top nine spot. That probably pushes Eller to the wing.

That means the only spot left for Leblanc is getting mimimum minutes on the 4th line (although it’s a job he could probably handle. He would certainly be better suited than Weber or Palushaj). I’d rather see Leblanc play 25 minutes a game in Hamilton where he is the main man who gets tons of top line & PP minutes. People have to think long term. Right now Leblanc is the only pro bridge prospect we have in the system.

• twocents says:

As I said, I agree re: Lebalnc.

As for call ups, I think Palushaj is not without promise, but he’s entirely unsuited to the forth line role. Much like D’ags was. He’s a complimentary offensive player, put him with some more skilled guys on third line and he could contribute.

• Bill says:

Look at Plekanec: he played years in the AHL and made a smooth transition. He was developed. Leblanc doesn’t need to spend the year playing 4 minute grinder shifts under JM.

Full Breezer 4 Life

9. petefleet says:

I like Lindy Ruff. Always have. He’s a coach who isn’t scared to say what he thinks to the media or the league. It’s too bad more coaches wouldn’t follow his lead, there may be a wave a change that everyone wants for the NHL. I also liked what Miler did to Tootoo. Good on him and a complete lack of class on Tootoo’s part considering that Miller just got back off injured reserve.

******************************************
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

***Habs Forever***

10. dallyd31 says:

This is a real pickle…and potentially revealing and embarrassing situation for Shanny

This hit was no worse than the Lucic hit…in fact I would argue it was not as bad. At least this was part of the play. With Lucic, the puck was in the corner and nowhere near Miller…Lucic skated from the blueline, unhindered and levelled Miller. Shanny’s excuse….Lucic had his head down and thought he was on a breakaway. Yeah…an NHL player who keeps his head down from the blueline, and has no idea where the puck is….yeah right. But I digress.

So, if Shanny does nothing with Tootoo, he looks like a fool and a hypocrite. Yet if he suspends Tootoo, he looks incompetant, inconsistant and looks like he is playing favourites for not suspending Lucic, but suspending Tootoo.

Shanny has only himself to blame for this. If he called things consistent there would be no problem.

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Agreed.

• athanor says:

It’s too bad Shanahan didn’t think, when he took the job, to include a poison-pill clause stipulating at least three years with a double (or more) indemnity if the NHL decided early that they didn’t want him any more. So, if he got fired after only one year, he would be paid double for each year left on the contract.

That would give him a measure of insulation from owners bleating about their players’ getting suspended. It wouldn’t quiet the complaints, I’m pretty sure, but it would give him room to make decisions based on what was best for the players and the game.

11. keepthefaith says:

Tootoo will get suspended because this is a joke league. Shanny will pull something out of his ass about being in the crease or leaving his feet. Bruins get a free pass. It was obvious last year. Nothing has changed.

12. habs63 says:

It wasn’t a Boston player who hit Miller so I’m guessing 10 games.

13. habs17 says:

Martin coached a great game last night go job martin GO HABS

14. Chris Boyle writes about how Fenwick has correlated to success over the last 4 years, where the Canadiens rank in comparison to the last 4 years, and why even strength play is more important than ever.

______________________________

• 24 Cups says:

AB – Chris mentioned the three other problem factors that impact the Habs: Markov’s injury, bad luck and poor execution.

Nothing can be done about Markov – the team needs to move on and play the games. Luck, whether it be good or bad, should eventually even out. That leaves execution by the top line players of the team. Five on five play aside, there are times when players such as Cammy, Gomez, Gionta, and Subban just aren’t hitting their mark. I also worry about our 5 on 5 carrying us through the year when you see how carppy our PP has been. I don’t expect a Kovalev office party type PP, but we do need to show more PP finish in order to take some of the pressure off of the 5 on 5 play that you mentioned.

• A lot of the reason the PP has been so crappy has been luck. While they had a terrible stretch over the last several games until San Jose, for most of the year it’s been a top 10 powerplay in the league in terms of shot and scoring chance production.

______________________________

• 24 Cups says:

Andrew – There’s something a bit strange about your EotP guys getting into an analytical mode and then defending it by sighting the notion of luck.

You can’t have it both ways.

It’s like Chris stated, shots and scoring chances don’t mean much if you can’t provide the finish.

I’ve got to hit the sack. Until next time.

15. MontrealBruin says:

I don’t know if you guys read the article on PuckDaddy. Ryan Miller states that maybe he did not suffer a concussion after the Lucic hit, it was more of a neck injury then anything else. I watched that game where Miller was hit by Lucic and let me tell you, if Lucic did concuss Miller, Miller wouldn’t have played all of the first or second period. If you watch the play closely, Lucic never made contact with Miller’s head and Miller’s head never did hit the ice, also sometime late in the second period of that game, one of the Buffalo defensemen shoved Seguin into Miller. Anyways, I know all of you Habs Fans hate Lucic and no matter what I say will change your mind but this is something that I had to get off my chest. Here’s the article. Enjoy.

• petefleet says:

Only two things to say about your post:
      1. Get off the site
      2. You’re an idiot

I just had to get that off my chest.

******************************************

***Habs Forever***

• LL says:

It doesn’t matter if Miller was concussed or not, it was a typically “I can do whatever I want” gesture by Lucic, anyway you spin it.

This is the exact issue. The act needs to be punished, and not the resulting injury or lack thereof.

Interesting he/she makes the post but won’t respond eh LL?

• petefleet says:

Cowardly huh?

******************************************

***Habs Forever***

It is that kind of ridiculous reasoning that is the issue. So this Bruin fan believes if no concussion play is good. Then the stupidity of the argument that had he been concussed he wouldn’t have finished the game. This coming from a fan of a team who probably cut short Marc Savard’s career by selfishly playing him in the playoffs before he was ready to go, while he was still suffering from Post Concussion effects. Unbelievable, amazed they know how to use computers. Okay that is me overreacting.

• LL says:

We’re the victims of a drive by comment. :)

• otter649 says:

Do you think anyone here cares that a Bruin Fan has to get something off your chest on a Habs Board – Try going to a Sabres Board with the same comment……..

Is there a reason we are supposed to be concerned whether it was concussion or neck sprain. Also, Lindy Ruff clarified it was concussion after Miller made those comments. And did you just wake up yesterday, players in the NHL do continue to play games while concussed. Ever heard of Sidney Crosby, played after the Steckel hit and the next game in TBay. Or perhaps Kris Letang who came back in OT against Montreal and is now suffering from concussion symptoms.

Your boy Luchicken made a dirty hit, don’t really care if it was concussion or not, the play was dirty.

Guess you bruin fans will never learn to discern clean hits from dirty hits either.

• Jim Edson says:

Never will discern clean hits from dirty hit because all the Goons fans know is hits and fights.

Its MMA on ice and that is how they sell tickets in Beantown.

Listen to that moron Jack Edwards for 1/2 minute and you get a real insight to the mentality of being a Goons fan.

Often wonder why they have a disclaimer in both French a English on the Goons fansite saying that any dissenting opinions are not tolerated in any way?

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Barak Obama or Gary Bettman.

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Poor misunderstood Milan… I feel badly now..

16. Curtis O Habs says:

Anyone notice the forearm to the back of Leblanc`s head in the first period? CBC described it as a “jolt”.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I saw Matt Greene hit someone and throw a forearm to the back of the head, but I thought it was on Frédéric St-Denis, not really sure. If we’re talking about the same hit, it was the usual kind of garbage that happens in the league without a whistle. The clincher was seeing Mr. Greene commenting on the importance of ridding the league of dangerous hits during a between-periods interview.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

17. deuce6 says:

I LOVE LINDY RUFF!!! HAHA

Now that is a coach that goes to bat for his players.

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

18. db says:

At one point in the 3rd last night… Pleks was chasing down a puck and their goalie was about to play it. I actually yelled at the tv for pleks to hit their goalie (like they did ours), since he was out of the crease. Instead, bernier plays it and the puck easily gets out of the zone… should he have bumped him?

Does everyone just hate Miller?

• Curtis O Habs says:

I was thinking the hit on Price was payment for the Eller hit on Doughty.

• Habfan10912 says:

Db I remember that play as well as that same thought crossed my mind. My thought, lets keep the high ground and play with class. Makes it easier to root for the Habs that way.

In photo from left to right. Chrisadiens, my Grandson, and me.

We did get away with one when Gio got Reimer. I don’t think Gio is dirty, but the more I wath that replay, the more I think he ensured some contact occurred. But I would prefer we not go the dirty route. Clean hits to the puck carrier are all well and good.

Emelin so far has provided nice physicality and nothing really over the line. I remembered after watching his late boarding hit at the World’s last year and was worried he may be a bit of a cheap shot artist, but so far so good.

19. The Dude says:

Habsinbuington….hello? And thanks Twilight ,my only excuse is that I ‘m on the IPhone in the” can.”. Man,lol

20. deuce6 says:

So players can’t go hard to the net anymore either? Pretty soon, player’s uniforms will be tutus (no pun)…and the NHL brass has only themselves to blame..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

21. diehardhab says:

Because of the Tootoo incident last night its overshadowing this terrible headshot by Marc Fistric. Shanny should be involved… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoJj0YW4MU8

The torch be yours to hold it high!

@MTLJosh

22. Kooch7800 says:

Tootoo should not be suspended. He was driving the net and even got a little shove from the defensmen and even jumped to try and get out of the way. Was it a smart play no….suspspendable no. You can’t go after Jordan cause of something Lucic did.
    Lucic should have been suspended but wasn’t so you can’t suspend this hit that was at least a hockey play

All true except this is the NHL wheel of justice we are discussing. All logic has left the Head Office.

• Kooch7800 says:

I hear you man. It just makes so much confusion as a fan and for the players it is unreal. I also can’t stand Lindy Ruff. Such a cry baby. Was a player and still is as a coach.

He had the right to rant about Lucic but this one is just a normal everyday play that happens nightly in the NHL

• JERM says:

I agree with you Kooch, but Lucic gets off scott free and now Tootoo will be suspended probably 3 games to made an example of. Shanhan will blab on about Tootoo having a previous history of suspensions or fines. Will the real Shanhan please stand-up.

23. JohnBellyful says:

MONTREAL – Although Andrei Markov is expected to return to the lineup in three weeks, the Montreal Canadiens aren’t taking any chances. They’ve signed a Russian-speaking defenceman to take his place and to help further Alexei Emelin’s development as a topnotch blueliner.
    Boris Badenov, a career minor leaguer who’s played more than 500 games with the Frostbite Falls Assassins, agreed to a one-year contract and will see action against the Columbus Jets Tuesday night. The diminutive defenceman who’s listed at 140 lbs has been compared to another fireplug rearguard and a former Hab, Francis Bouillon, but with “a nasty streak,”said a Canadiens spokesman.
    The Pottsylvanian was directly responsible for numerous rule changes in the Minnesota Minor Pro Hockey League, including prohibitions against possession of concealed weapons and explosive devices, water boarding, spearing (using real spears), and slew footing (which resulted in seven players being slain and 31 games of suspensions in total for Badenov before the league decided to crack down on fatal fouls by ordering the removal of poison tipped skate blades).
    Badenov isn’t likely to play much in his first game as a Hab, “but then he won’t need much ice time to leave an impression,” the spokesman said, “especially if he gets an opportunity early to ram a player from behind into the boards, using a mini-battering ram.”
    The spokesman added that the team is not looking to convert Emelin into a cheapshot artist – “we’re not the Bruins” – but to have Badenov, and his agent, “the incredibly beautiful” Natasha Nogoodnik, help Emelin master the English language more quickly so that he can communicate better with his teammates on and off the ice.
    “Shaddup your mouth!” Badenov interjected, the only time he spoke during the press conference called to introduce the Canadiens’ latest acquisition.
    “Dahlink, that’s no way to talk to the nice man,” Nogoodnik admonished her client, as she ushered him out of the room.
    Badenov has asked to wear the number 666.

– “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” –

24. habstrinifan says:

Watched the video re Tootoo. This is one of the EASIEST video for Shanahan if he had any backbone and yes past fairness. Let me clarify the FAIRNESS part. May be I should have said consistency because I dont think he has it in for any one team including the HABS. But I do think that he ‘consults’ with others and their ‘biased’ input has affected his decisions.

So having said that this is an absolutely easy call.

NO SUSPENSION! NO SUPPLEMENTARY WHATEVER! And even an on ice penalty, if any was given, was questionable.

Tootoo came at full speed. He tried to cut in and seeing that he would make contact with the goalie he tried to go AIRBOUND as much as possible to avoid Miller.

Clearcut indication of this is the way Tootoo proned his body completely while in flight…hands outstretched together, legs outstretched together… no hint at self protection or bracing for a hit… just aiming to ‘fly over’ Miller.

Even the analyst when he viewed a slow moe came to that conclusion but still tried to be a homer by saying ‘you could say that Tootoo tried to avoid Miller, but….”

This one is so easy really.

But then who am I to try and figure out the NHL today?

25. --Habs-- says:

You know hockey is like society today. There’s just no respect anywhere anymore because rules and lows protect the offender more than the offended. Case and point! Casey Anthony had more rights and was better protected than her own daughter that died most likely in her hands.

26. The Dude says:

Racism rampant on the white man’s Sabre’s and they’re hate for the Eskimo people’s !Sign Too Too Pierre.

27. Number31 says:

Personally I think Shanaban should be more concerned with the flying elbow Fistric sent to the head of Nino Niederreiter…

Tootoo being Tootoo, I am not surprised. Price got run twice last night as well. Difference is Price is bigger and built like a truck. One thing though, the book on Miller has always been to play chicken with him, because he’ll freak every time. And this is before Luchicken hit him. (Who’s hit was way more unnecessary and deliberate in the spur of the moment than this).

28. Grumpyoldhab says:

“Boston” Shanahan will probably suspend Tootoo because Toots is not a Bruin.

• Jim Edson says:

Guaranteed!

No Goon no free pass!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Barak Obama or Gary Bettman.

• Habfan10912 says:

Nashville was wearing the Boons Colorado last night. Could confuse “Boston” Shanahan.

29. --Habs-- says:

This is the quagmire that the NHL has created” I call it playing God!
    When you try to decipher intent, what goes through a players mind, conditions, speed, direction and I could go on and!!!! Its kind of like trying to figure out if 50 % of the time you’ll be wrong 100% of the time. And now nobody knows the boundaries because the NHL has no boundaries. Players are making hits because coaches tell them to play on the edge and players don’t generally take the time to think if he’s going to hit a head or not. SO if you set the rule of any contact with the head intentional or not is a 5 minute major, game misconduct and 1 game suspension doubled on every incident. SO 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 and so on.

30. Big Ted says:

Does anyone from H I/O have the video of Penner drilling Carey? Would be nice to put the two videos up side by side.

31. LafleurFan says:

Max-Pac’s suspension’s done. I think Louie should stay up for a full nine games which would really help his individual development. Probably on the big club next season.

“May you live in interesting times.”

32. WestHab says:

I actually think the Lucy hit was more intentional than Tootoo’s. But i get the feeling this hit will get serious time just cause of the fact that Miller just got back and all.

33. dufour says:

I think Tootoo’s jump was an awful attempt to avoid collision. I agree with the posters saying 2 mins was good, and no suspension. And if that Lucic hit never happened, would we even be discussing this? Or perhaps if it wasn’t Miller in net

• CanadienBoy says:

IT like open season on hot goalies ,the stratagies is simple run the goalies at any cost ,this is not standing in front anymore the rule change as created that, head for the net at full speed without the puck and make it look like a accident ,the D can not cause interference before the rule change u will have been on u ass before u could get to the goalies .This is where Burky yes Burkys bear hugs rule could save some concussions

34. TINMAN17 says:

Should the league go back to a toe in the crease during a goal makes it a no-goal? It seemed a few years back when that was the rule fewer players even set foot in the paint. Every game it seems goalies are getting abused post-cover up of the puck. Although, it has really no bearing on this Lucic/Miller/Tootoo discussion I just thought it was interesting to note.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

35. Chris F says:

Sign AK now. Yes he’s in a contract year, but come on. PG will probably lose this guy for nothing.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I am joining the sign AK camp. Three years, 12 million.

• Chrisadiens says:

I’m with you Bob, he’s making a believer outta me. Will he sign for 4m per? I’m not so sure though. Some retard GM will probably overpay for him.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Well, tough to say but it´s early december. He doesn´t know how the season goes on, he doesn´t know if there´ll be another injury, if he goes into a slump, if he sucks in the playoffs. So if he gets offered 12 for 3 now, he would be tempted to take it I guess. Of course his agent will probably say: No, wait Andrei, you might get 18 for four years somewhere else in the summer. It´s certainly worth a try I think.

• CanadienBoy says:

You right and Georges as well but that make to much senses

36. Storm Man says:

I had a dream last night. Lord martin was fired.

37. twilighthours says:

Tootoo’s hit might not happen if Shanny does the right thing on Lucic a month ago.

• Captain aHab says:

I disagree with that. I honestly don’t think Tootoo was trying hard to nail Miller but he will get suspended for political reasons.

• Big Ted says:

Precisely. The fact that we’re even talking about this as being a suspension is because of what Lucic did, not because of what Tootoo did. Tootoo’s got a reputation as being a dirty player, but at least he makes something of an effort to avoid Miller. It’s a penalty, no doubt. But we wouldn’t be mentioning the word suspension except for the fact that the Sabres feel slighted because Shanahan messed up on the Lucic call. As I posted, Penner made a similar hit on Price yesterday too, but he got 2 minutes, while Tootoo got 5 minutes and a game misconduct. Why the discrepancy? Because the refs knew it was Miller. If the league had called everything fairly, it would have been 5 games for Lucic, 2 minutes for Penner, 2 minutes for Tootoo, 2 minutes to Miller, and 4 minutes to Gaustad, and Nashville, right or wrong, would have been on the PP. I don’t respect Tootoo’s game all that much, but this is the case of him hitting the wrong guy at the wrong time and the refs and league becoming overly-sensitive because of the player and team involved. If the league suspends Tootoo, I’d be outraged if they don’t give the same to Penner. Otherwise, it goes to show that once again, there are different rulebooks for different teams.

• JF says:

It certainly looks like it from the way Sahanahan’s reasoning process tends to get reversed for certain teams. He can always bring in a factor like the player’s intention or the player who gets hit moving his head or failing to defend himself in order to justify his decision.

The whole process is corrupt and will remain so as long as one person is in charge and the decisions are subjective. Get a panel to decide, remove the bs about intention, angles, movements of the head, etc., and have clear guidelines and defined penalties. The one question the panel should be asking is, “Was the hit illegal or not?” If it was, it’s a suspension, with different numbers of games for particular situations and depending on whether the player is a repeat offender or not. That way, all teams and players would know the rules, and the rules would be applied the same way in every case.

38. Neutral says:

from what I seen – he was cutting across the net – was partically steered into miller and believe it or not – he knew he was gonna collide with miller and tried to prevent it by going over the top of him – I don’t know how he could have gotten out of his way that’s my view – don’t know what shanny will come up with.

39. Exit716 says:

Shanahan has to suspend Tootoo for at least eight games. That’s the penalty he gave Wisniewski. Let’s look at it from a political perspective. Nashville is a welfare receiving parasitic franchise and Tootoo is a third rate goon. Eight games at minimum, 10 would be ideal and 20 would be perfection.

40. mdp2011 says:

I see nothing wrong with the Tootoo hit, besides a 2 minute interference penalty. This was a good hockey play, he drove the net with the puck and as he was turning to cut for the net he lost the puck and had no where to go. He actually tried to avoid Miller, no suspension IMHO, this is nothing like the Lucic hit which desevered a suspension.

• Wayne says:

Just saw the play myself for the first time here. You’re absolutely right on this. Tootoo’s line was broken and it changed his trajectory on the way to the net. He may have thought he could make it but he ran out of room when his angle changed. Having said that, a more skilled and prudent player would have over-shot and decide to go around the net, aborting that kind of play. But it’s Tootoo, a balls-out tye of player. It’s a penalty, but NOT suspendable. He WILL BE suspended now, under the circumstances that it’s Miller and the previous incident is still fresh. Lindy Ruff’s post-game lobbying only seals the deal.

• mdp2011 says:

I agree with you, he will probably be suspended because of the all the backlash.

• ABHabsfan says:

I would like to see all you guys put the pads on and stand there while meatheads take full runs at you with your knees bent over like cracking a Christmas wishbone. You may change your tune. Lucic should have got games and Tootoo better get games. You can’t charge the crease with abandon, it’d not a hockey play it’s goonery. I wouldn’t mind seeing one of these guys try it with CP, so long as he is not hurt, ’cause you can bet that Cowboy Carey will tune the f**ker up

41. Big Ted says:

If Tootoo gets suspended, the league also needs to look at Penner running Carey Price last night. Penner also clips Price in the mask and made no attempt to stop. Neither hit is as bad as Lucic’s hit, which should have been a 5-game suspension, but because Shanahan’s already dropped the ball, he’s wrong no matter which way he rules here.

42. LafleurFan says:

Deep breath time.

Nit picking over what is borderline acceptable (as opposed to what’s clearly illegal) has brought us to today’s standards: frustrating, flawed, and unprotective of the players.

Whereas the bodily contact of MMA, UFC, boxing, and other such sports is to disable and while not desired, even injure an opponent, the bodily contact in hockey is for the sole purpose of gaining possession of the puck. You’re not allowed to hold an opponent if he does not possess the puck. Holding doesn’t cause injury.

Elite athletes skating at full speed may in fact generate more physical force than 300 pound football players. This era in hockey is clearly associated with more dangers; can you picture a single game where only Bobby Rousseau, Dick Duff and J.C. Tremblay wore helmuts like we saw in the 60′s?

Shanahan’s job is one dimensional and he’s lost sight of the mission. He has not created any deterance. He has trivialized this important issue. It began in the pre-season with the ludicrous suspension of Wisniewski for a non-injuring elbow, and the non-suspension of Ryan Malone when Campoli could not be dipossessed of the puck, because he had already passed it!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• LafleurFan says:

P.S. The Flower doffed his helmut in his fourth season, and boy, would I have feared for him if he played now. No way his career would have lasted 18 years!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Habfan10912 says:

Right on the button. I question the credibility of the league. It started last year with the questionable decisions handed out by Daddy and its continued this year. This is leading to the inconsistent decisions Imo. Judge Judy says if you tell the truth you don’t have to have a good memory. The league ain’t been telling the truth.

43. Habfan10912 says:

Lots of concern over Weber’s play of late which is justified Imo but have you guys noticed Hal Gil’s play on 5 on 5. Yuck.

• V says:

NHL needs to deal harshly with this running the goalie thing – every team with a dominant goalie is one incident away from a lost season.

Too much risk for any owner. No where is this more true than in Montreal.

Should have hit Lucic but that’s water under the bridge. Now he should start to set real precendent. We will see.

• TINMAN17 says:

Too true, Gill is a nightmare at even strength, surprisingly he is lights out at 5-3. How weird is that? We played better with St. Denis in his place.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

• Sharks9 says:

I forgive him because he’s leading the league in shot blocks.

25 before 14

44. HabsFanMTL says:

why would he get a suspension? that wasn’t a head shot?
    Ryan Miller wasn’t hurt at all, sure he was pissed……..at the very least it deserves a penalty…….

• Danno says:

Tootoo will be suspended in order to make up for Shanahan not calling what should have been called with the Lucic hit on Millar. It makes no sense but that’s what’s going to happen.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

45. Habfan4lfe says:

Hahaha he wont get suspended, that is a typical play in the NHL and similar happens all the time, plus he was steered into the net and then he will likely say he tried not to hit the goalie at the end. If anyone should get suspended it’s the goalie who jumped on him and started pounding him with his goalie equipment on.

• Captain aHab says:

If there’s no suspension, Ruff will get one his lesser players to nail another team’s goalie. Heck, I’d do it.

After the Lucic hit, and after Ruff said it was now Open Goalie Season, Shanny said that Ruff’s comment was irresponsible. He HAS to do something with Tootoo or else Ruff will just say that his comment was spot on as he has already said in his post-game rant. Tootoo will be gone to appease Buffalo.

I think also at this point, the new owner of the Sabres (who is a huge passionate Hockey fan) will be glad to pay any fine handed to his GM or Coach for comments made. I am hopeful an owner like Pegula can start to work with Molson and other owners of teams whose players play hockey first.

Here’s what bothers me the most about the NHL regressing into a head-hunter’s league. We are on the cusp of a golden era of hockey in terms of the talent that is presently in the NHL. Presently, that potential has to take a back seat to the grunts who now rule the league.

You have two distinct groups of players who are very young and super talented. They have the true elite skills that could make this game shine, not only in traditional markets but also the ones that the NHL covets so badly.

The first group is let by Crosby, young studs who are in their mid 20s. Sadly, he became the poster boy for the league for all the wrong reasons.

Then there is this magical second wave of stars in the making who can play the game at a superior level with skills that truly exhibit just how great the game can be. It’s been a long time since the NHL has had so many young players who are just bubbling with talent. There’s at least a dozen or more. Wouldn’t it benefit the league to highlight players such as Nugent-Hopkins instead of constantly hearing about suspensions? Or worrying that a star in the making might be felled by some brain dead thug?

You know who’s killing the league right now? It’s not Tootoo, Lucic or Wisniewski, it’s the old guard owners, GMs and coaches who can’t see past the next game or playoff round.

Bettman doesn’t need a sheriff, he needs a visonary who can help craft and build a game that puts skill and creativity above brutality.

47. Captain aHab says:

Hell if Tootoo doesn’t get suspended, dress Blunden for the next Bawston game and have him nail Timmy. But I’m sure that then Shanny would detect far worse intent.

• LafleurFan says:

I think Mike B. has a history of NOT gooning it up.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Captain aHab says:

He doesn’t need to goon it up. Just skate real fast right at the goalie and “catch an edge” and be sent flying just before getting there.

Now I’m not really advocating it should be done…only that teams will if it’s not more penalized strongly enough.

48. kempie says:

When Tootoo meets with Shanny, he should show up wearing a Bruins jersey. Can’t hurt.

49. Danno says:

If Tootoo gets suspended for that after Shanahan letting Lucic go unpunished then the league loses any shred of credibility it might have had.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• So then don’t punish a hit that they think should be punished because they blew a call in the past?

• Danno says:

That’s not my point. Lucic should have been suspended but wasn’t. So how do you justify punishing Tootoo?

My point is the league lacks credibility because it is selective in the way it hands out discipline. It provides lame excuses for not punishing players on teams it gives preferential treatment to and makes questionable judgment calls on teams it discriminates against.

Shanahan is no different than his predecessor.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Captain aHab says:

Guarantee you he’ll be suspended. The reason will be that Miller was in his crease. That is all the reason Shanny needs to claim it’s different from the Lucic hit. And he gets to appease Buffalo.

Honestly, I’ll be happy if he gets suspended because if he doesn’t, Price will get absolutely creamed soon. And you know it. He might get creamed anyway if the suspension is 1-2 games. Totally worth it for another team to do that with a 3rd/4th liner.

50. The Big M says:

Lucic had all the time in trhe world to avoid Miller.
    Tootoo, I believe actually tried to lessen the blow by trying to go over Miller.
    Imagine the impact if he didn’t leave his feet.
    No suspension.

51. Clay says:

I don’t think the Tootoo deserves a suspension at all. Tootoo is an ass, but this wasn’t nearly as serious as Lucics hit on Miller. If that wasn’t a suspendable offense, then no way this is.

__________________________
    “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.” – Jean Beliveau.

• ABHabsfan says:

Areyou watching the same clip as the rest of us? Tootoo needs 10 games minimum; launched himself with at least 1 extra step after the puck was gone. He knew he had nowhere to go but through the crease when he turned at the bottom of the circle. There was no chance of scoring, the only possible result was to steamroll Miller. Luckily Miller was injured, a play like that can wreck a guys knees forever.
      Tootoo is a bum and a hooligan who adds nothing to the league. Kick him the f**k out

Will Ryan White return to our lineup before Andrei Markov?

If our 4th line could pickup White we may finally have a pretty good energy line which is also defensively responsible. Darche/Nokia/White.

Team needs to hang close for one more month until our injured players can return to the lineup and give this team a shot in the arm. Curious how close Campoli is, while he is no saviour he would be another upgrade for us.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Where does Gomez fit in then? I´d like to see Nokelainen – Gomez – White on the fourth line. I definitely don´t want to see Campoli in for Emelin and if Diaz keeps on playing like he did yesterday he´s also more valuable than Campoli.

Yah, perhaps that works for Gomez. If and when Markov returns it seems so natural for Emelin to stay with him. Perhaps we finally get JM to run a rotation for our Dmen and the veterans can actually be rested as the playoffs approach.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Agreed. I said yesterday I would keep PK and Gorges always in but the rest could use some rotation now and then. Gill and Spacek obviously because of their age, Emelin and Diaz because they are not used to play that many games. That being said I can´t wait to see Markov and Emelin together.

• Habfan10912 says:

Really worried about Markov. Just gotta think his injury and latest setback is Bobby Orr like and might mean his career is over . White will be back this month but he is a forth liner with some energy at best. Spacek will help more when he finally returns.

The Markov scenario will be finally answered after this scope. Either he simply has some remaining scar tissue floating in there causing the swelling or indeed there is actual structural damage (PG said otherwise but….).

Slightly different, but my brother had his ACL repaired twice and after the 2nd still was able to play Volleyball at the National Level. I have not given up yet, thankfully the Doctors of Bobby Orr’s era have improved dramatically.

• 24 Cups says:

Gerald – Tuesday’s game takes us to the 1/3 mark of the NHL season. The return of White is anybody’s guess. I’m assuming that he can go to Hamilton for a two-week conditining stint. After that, he has to clear waivers which isn’t going to happen. That’s not an issue unless the team has to try and save a Dman’s spot on the roster. This far into the season, I seriously doubt that either Diaz or Emelin will be going to Hamilton.

I can’t ever see us having nine healthy defensemen. That means we should be able to have White as the 12th forward with Weber as the spare. That would give us Markov/Subban/Gorges/Gill/Spacek/Emelin/Diaz as our seven man defensive unit. If by chance they are all healthy, it would mean someone would have to go on waivers (Darche?) or get traded for a low end 6th or 7th round pick (Campoli?).

With this team’s recent history, I doubt we’ll ever have to worry about the waiver wire.

53. RGM says:

Nice win yesterday.

Though I am still concerned about this team to some extent, there is something very important worth noting: despite the rather slow start, the Habs are only 3 points behind a Toronto Maple Leafs team that is sitting in 6th place and appears to be faltering. Obviously these regular poundings they’re suffering at the hands of the Bruins has an effect, but our fate remains in our hands. It will only take one good streak of 4-5 wins in a row to vault up the standings somewhat and overtake the other middle-of-the-pack teams. Of course, that would require some consistency out of our boys first and foremost.

Five of the next 6 games are at home, so if there was ever a time to go on a hot streak, this is it.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
    RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

54. CranbrookEd says:

Milbury bashing PK on the People’s Network (Candiens Bashing Club) actually deserves a suspension . . . for complete and unadulterated bias – even pure hate! It was all too obvious (once again) that Milbury and his hate for PK goes well over the line of regular commentary . . .

CranbrookEd
    Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”!

55. Chorske says:

How does Shanny punish Tootoo and NOT punish Lucic? At least Tootoo had Erhoff pressuring him (not that I am excusing the inexcusable elbow that he brought up to Miller’s chin).

This is what happens when the disciplinarian drops the ball and fails to send a message about player safety. The minute Shanny worried more about the letter of the law than the intent on the play, he lost all credibility. Lucic and Chara, no games. Pacioretty, three games. Tootoo? If Shanny is consistent, zero games. And even if he gives Tootoo three games, we now know that Shanny is every bit as much of an asshoyle as his predecessor.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Indeed, this reminds me of when the NHL let Richards off for Intent to Cause Brain Injury to Booth, so they were caught looking like impotent fools when Cooke broke Marc Savard’s career and had to make up a rule at a Governor’s Meeting to act like they cared about player safety.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• Chorske says:

We don’t need more rules: we just need the league to start enforcing the ones they have. Also, the discipline needs to come from the players side. Replace the league toady (and I hate to refer to Shanny in that way, but he’s earned it) with a three-member committee of retired players that are not affiliated with the league- an arms-length group that reviews plays and recommends suspensions. The minute the disciplinarian starts listening to the GMs, he’s cut off his own penis and filed down his own teeth. And Shanny has managed to do that is a couple of months.

Speaking of concussed players such as Tootoo and Miller, David Perron of the St Louis Blues finally returned to action last night after missing 97 games. He even scored a goal.

Alas, his return is too late to save his coach’s job. You really have to wonder about the logic of firing a coach knowing that one of his best players hasn’t suited up in close to two years.

Hmmmmm trying to think of another situation which could be similar but the Pearning has yet to occur.

• Chorske says:

Trying to say something, Steve? :D

• Chris says:

I think the problem in St. Louis was more the lack of progress with their young defence than anything else. The Blues were not good defensively last season, and were even worse this season. Throw in that Halak struggled out of the gate and you had the nightmare start that got Payne fired.

The Blues are 8-2-3 since Hitchcock took over after starting out 6-7-1 under Payne. Whatever the difference is, it has been working even without Perron. Perron will just make the Blues that much more dangerous.

57. pg says:

I think Lucic should have gone 2-3 games for the head shot to Miller, no doubt. Tootoo? That wasn’t a head shot, just an old fashioned running of the goalie. 2 minutes. Miller defended himself – good for him.

You can’t take Miller’s previous events with Lucic into consideration. If Miller’s back on the ice, he should be healthy and ready to play. Every player in the leagues has been injured at some point, you can’t have designated “no hit” players just because of their history (exception – Koivu’s first game back after cancer). I’m sure when they’re back, no one will avoid hiting Komisarik just because he hurt his arm, or Markov’s knee, or Gomez’ heart.

58. smiler2729 says:

La la la, la la la, Gary’s World…

So Elmo’s league is full of dumbass players and dumbass officials, and people wonder why I’ve lost interest in the NHL…

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

59. SeriousFan09 says:

Prospect Round-up:

Saint John Sea Dogs hosted Shawinigan, Beaulieu versus Bournival. Each of them recorded a goal, Beaulieu’s 8th and Bournival’s 13th, however Beaulieu’s was the deciding factor it was the OT Winner in a 3-2 win for Saint John.

Morgan Ellis collected an assist for Cape Breton in a 6-1 win over the Moncton Wildcats.

Jarred Tinordi collected an assist, +2 and then picked up an instigator and fighting major looking to avenge a head hit late in the game against one of his teammates, albeit it was more of a wrestling match going by the video I saw.

Olivier Archambeault has no points in 7 of his last 10 games.

Steve Quailer’s road to redemption continues, had his 5th goal of the season, a GWG over Notre Dame. 5G, 10A this season over 13GP, 3G, 10A in 38 last season as he had a tumultuous year coming back from an ACL tear.

Danny Kristo had a goal and assist as North Dakota completed a sweep University of Alaska Anchorage in their weekend series. Pretty sweet goal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZsHaJqsIxA

Bulldogs snapped a 6-game losing streak off of a Joonas Nattinen goal in a 3-2 win over Rochester. Mike Blunden and Mark Mitera had the regulation markers. Philip DeSimone and Gabriel Dumont picked up an assist each..

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

60. New says:

I think that if the TooToo twain had the puck when he got to the net it would be fine. Though it was too late to change when he lost the puck he did lose it before getting to the net and the blue. The goalie was in the blue, the puck wasn’t, and TooToo hit Millar. That indicates TooToo was going to try and jam Millar and the puck into the net with the force of the collision, something they try with Price every game, only he forgot the puck. Give him 4 games and next time be sure to use the four officials to stop his teammates from entering the scrum.

61. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m wondering why Fistric on Niederreiter is not getting more play this morning. Clear flying elbow, leaves his feet to make the hit because he wants to make sure he catches the head.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

62. Habfan10912 says:

Nashville was wearing the Boons colors last night which may confuse Shanny into not issuing a suspension. Ruff is absolutely correct in calling out the league.

63. bajd says:

In isolation, I don’t think it’s worth anything more than a 2-minute penalty but you put it into the context of Lucic and the overall mood of the league and you can certainly make a suspension argument. It seems like people wanting a suspension, want one more for recklessness and lack of class displayed by the offender. I thought the Lucic hit by itself was borderline suspendable but when you see him smiling and laughing after the play and then again on TV after that, it just comes off as a personal who’s an absolute jerk and part of me would like the league to step in on those cases

Well put LL, kind of a perfect summation of his role.

• New says:

Shanahan is new at this. He doesn’t understand he is deciding, then justifying. The unfortunate thing is the league is run like that so if he learns how to do this right it will be a credit to him.

When (if) he learns how to do it right, he will be replaced.

• LL says:

I would be thrilled had he stuck to the tough love he started the season with.

He’s regressed, for whatever reason. I agree with both of you, unless the higher ups are still there, Shanny is just video candy.

• 24 Cups says:

As for the hit, ref #34 was standing right behind the play and watched the whole thing unfold. Should have been an automatic call.

Shanahan? I agree that he got off to a good start, in fact I would have wrenched up the suspensions as the year went on. Once the players know he means business, he could put the fear into them.

As you stated, it appears the old guard GMs in the league have put the heat on Shanny.

64. BoomBoom says:

Why should Tootoo get suspended, he was pushed into Miller, he played the puck and seemed to try to avoid Miller. If Lucic couldn’t avoid contact then I’d have to give the benefit of the doubt to Tootoo. I am sure he can argue intent with Shanahan. But Tootto doesn’t play for the Bruins so he’ll get a few games. The NHL is a bush league…a complete bush league. What’s worse, the Bruins get away with everything while other teams must follow the rules. A bush league.
    Shanahan is as big a joke as Campbell was. No consistency.

C’est le but!

65. CranbrookEd says:

There is no way that you should be able to run a goalie without consequences. Lucic should have been suspended, period. TooToo however is a different situation in terms of “the play”. After viewing the replay a number of times, I believe that he actually was trying to avoid fulll contact as there was no way to avoid any contact given that he was indeed driving the net . The inane announcer pointing out the position of Tootoo’s arms claims that it clearly shows intent to injure Miller . . . IF Tootoo wanted to injure Miller, his arms would have been down at his chest which is where Miller’s head was . . . TooToo was (I believe) trying to avoid full contact. IF Tootoo gets the book thrown at him, it will because of past history and an irate Buffalo organization, not because he tried to run over (can you say Lucic) Miller. If Lucic had been suspended, then this incident becomes one in which it is clearly a player driving the net with the puck, with the ensuing melee as a result. But instead, it will be a an attempt to use TooToo as the example that Lucic should have been.

CranbrookEd
    Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”!

66. HighlanderHab says:

Part 1 of a 3 part story about Derek Boogaard is on the front page of the NY Times.

67. I love how Miler wastes no time at all before proceeding to pummel him,. heh.

68. G-Man says:

Shamahan’s poor judgment led directly to this play, as well as that Stoll play yesterday. League discipline must be taken away from former players and placed onto a committee of retired refs.
    3 of them. Let them watch the play from as many angles as possible and then render a decision. No meeting with the player as they will most likely drum up a bs excuse a la Chara and Lucic.
    I am for the offending player to be out as long as the one hit on the play. In other words, if the victim can’t play, neither should the offender. If any of this happens on the street it’s an assault charge and time in jail.

• Chris says:

I don’t know if it has to be taken away from former players, but a mix of players and referees and coaches might be better.

And for the love of hockey, stop picking the same type of players. Brian Burke, Colin Campbell, Brendan Shanahan…not exactly the Lady Byng Trophy list there.

On the Paciroetty hit, the one interview from the absolutely useless Brendan Shanahan that I could actually stomach (I find his explanations smug, personally) mentioned that he consulted with Rob Blake and Stephane Quintal. Again, similar players.

Get Kerry Fraser. He’d love to be the face of the videos. ;) Grab Mats Naslund or Joe Mullen. Maybe add a former goalie like Mike Liut or Billy Smith (see if a goalie gets run with Smith on there!).

As long as it is one player, the discipline is going to remain biased and ineffective. Especially if that person is as moronic as Shanahan.

• G-Man says:

Agree. I am just tired of seeing this bs and it being termed “a hockey play.” We all know it’s a “deliberate attempt to injure” play.
        Fraser has credibility and his explanations on TSN are great reading.

Fraser would not be afraid to stick to his guns even when the league was against his rulings. He would eventually embarrass Bettman. The league only wants puppets in this role whom will do as they are told. They are given free reign on lesser than players, but when it comes to star players or Bruins, the Brendans or Colins do as they are told. I am probably overly dramatic in this assessment but hard for me to think otherwise.

69. malmn says:

This is suspendable? Geez, the NHL is turning into the RHL (Ringuette Hockey League)
    GO HABS GO!!!

70. MilaKunis says:

Suspensions only occur when a star isn’t involved. This is the NHL. He will be suspended.

So first Chara illegally hits MaxPac gets no suspension but the hit along with Crosby’s injury leads to dramatic changes in the headshot rule. Of course no long term penalty to the Bruin.
    Lucic clearly makes zero attempt to avoid hitting goalie, spawning another revisit by the clowns at head office to now institute stricter rules against contacting the goalie. Lucic receives no penalty (Suspension) but watch Tootoo pay the price which Lucic should have paid.

Begs the question, what next illegal tactic will Boston do next without longterm penalty which some other team will pay the price for?

72. Haligonian-Hab says:

He’ll get suspended, but the sad part is that Lucic’s hit on Miller was far worse. At LEAST Tootoo had the puck, was pushed, and looked like he tried to avoid Miller.

I say 5 games.

73. If it were someone other than Jordin Tootoo, I might give him the benefit of the doubt. Ehrhoff did give Tootoo a push, and that could have rendered him unable to avoid Miller. And maybe Tootoo was actually trying to jump over Miller. But, again, it’s Jordin Tootoo, so he probably did it on purpose.

74. CranbrookEd says:

Well said!

CranbrookEd
    Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”!

That is exactly why I am frustrated with BS and his new yet old version of selective punishment. Is this really any different than what we had with Colin?

76. LL says:

BS is more camera-friendly than Colin. ;)

You see LL the league does care about the Ladies! hehe

78. LL says:

Oy Burly, too bad he’s not attractive on the inside.

If only he had suspended Lucic and Malone, instead of MaxP, we wouldn’t even be talking about it.

Instead we’d be talking about the beautiful passing and goal between Eller, Leblanc and AK, and what a baby Doughty is. lol

79. Kooch7800 says:

Wiz will score on us on the PP. Have a feeling