Ovechkin knots series vs Rangers; Kings cruise past Blues to take 2-0 lead

scramble

Beneath the pile lays Los Angeles Kings goalie Jonathan Quick, with another save against the St. Louis Blues.
Dilip Vishwanat, Getty Images Sport

So what if Washington Capitals captain Alexander Ovechkin got barely enough ice time from coach Dale Hunter – 13:36, by night’s end – to work up a sweat?

Ovi bagged the third-period winner for his team Monday at Madison Square Garden, the Caps downing the New York Rangers 3-2. And now the Eastern Conference semifinal returns to Washington with the Caps and New York Rangers tied 1-1 in their best-of-seven series.

In St. Louis, meanwhile, the Los Angeles Kings jumped out to a shocking 4-0 first-period lead then cruised the rest of way to beat the St. Louis Blues 5-2. This returns the Western Conference semi to the West Coast with the Kings holding a semi-commanding 2-0 lead.

On Tuesday: the New Jersey Devils, down 1-0, meet the Flyers in Philadelphia.

1. The Jackal says:

Im neither a PM supporter or detractor. I think PM would be a good GM though. He is highly touted by people with NHL jobs and other pundits. It seems his detractors are those who have just seen him on TV and judge his TV persona as well as those who have read a decades old article judging him on a performance we know from anecdote. I think that’s the issue, people just judge him based on these two things yet we have no first hand knowledge of him. However those in the NHL think highly of him and has been considered for GM in recent years. I think there is a good reason for this and that is that he is competent. If he is the next GM, I wouldn’t be worried. All that matters is that we get a good GM and if PM is that guy then good, if not, good.

2. HabFanSince72 says:

Who are the top two scorers for the Nashville Predators in the 2012 playoffs?

1. Alexander Radulov
    2. Andrei Kostitsyn

Also they are both in the black on the plus/minus scale.

I love how everyone assumes that the Russians are to blame here while the sobre-minded Anglo-Saxons David Poile and Barry Trotz are in the right.

Maybe Poile and Trotz are making the mistake.

I just know if Barry Trotz was called – say – Jacques Martin and David Poile was called – Oh I don’t know – Pierre Gauthier, H I/O would have a different view of the situation.

Fine. The Preds will lose and both players will be available cheap.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• habstrinifan says:

I am replying to you only because I am astonished by your analysis. This is neither here nor there and you may indeed regard it as gratuitous. But I find your contribution to the board very level headed and realistic and worthy reading. Hence my surprise at your take on this one.

Even acknowledging that there might be a too easy disposition in HIO to negatively stereotype Russian players, I dont think this is an instance that on which you draw-up battle-lines to fight that war.

Plain and simple the players disobeyed team rules at a crucial time and are being disciplined appropriately.

3. Un Canadien errant says:

Another complicating factor when assessing the draft candidates for the June draft: Mikhail Grigorenko was suffering from mononucleosis during the playoffs . Further, he won’t be able to participate in the draft combine physical testing, so coaches and scouts won’t be able to compare his fitness and maturity to Mr. Galchenyuk’s, for example.

Some of you guys watched him play in the series recently and stated that you weren’t impressed with his play. Would this diagnosis explain what you saw?

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• HabFanSince72 says:

Absolutely. Just like Couturier last year. Someone’s going to get themselves a bargain.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• habstrinifan says:

Heard the news this afternoon. Quite a decision for the ‘GM’. So many players have recently rebounded from various injuries or illness to play at the level of their original draft standing.

How can one decide.. is his inconsistent play indicative of his character or his health problems? Glad I do not have to make that call.

4. bellcentre hotdog says:

From AP:

The Nashville Predators have suspended forwards Alexander Radulov and Andrei Kostitsyn for Game 3 of their Western Conference semifinal with the Phoenix Coyotes for a violation of team rules.
    Nashville general manager David Poile announced the decision Tuesday in a statement but did not elaborate on what rules were broken. The Predators trail the Coyotes 2-0 ahead of Wednesday’s critical Game 3 in Nashville.
    “I’ve been a manager for 30 years, I care about each individual player, but I’ve never put an individual player above the team. In this case, the players violated a team rule,” Poile told TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com. “It’s disappointing any time a player has to miss a game because of violating a team rule, and it’s even more significant at playoff time, but the decision between the coach and myself was very easy. “We have to do the right thing. Their actions spoke volumes in terms of their lack of commitment and focus to give our a club a chance to win.”

Good Freakin Riddance AK46.

• shiram says:

Might as well put the rest, as it puts in a different spin :

“Let’s not blow it out of proportion, it’s not the first time a player has missed a game because of a team rule violation,” said the veteran hockey man. “We’re full of second chances in this business.”

• HabFanSince72 says:

Maybe we can sign AK and Radulov cheap.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Bripro says:

Hey, I said that!
        I mean, uh…great minds think alike! ;)

• HabFanSince72 says:

Either that or we’re both out to lunch.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Bripro says:

:D That’s very possible. I think it has to do with working our asses off to pay for tickets to watch a game where a bunch of millionaires decide whether they want to actually earn their millions.

• Les Canayens says:

I’m sure they would take a hometown discount to sign with Montreal just for the night scene alone.

5. Un Canadien errant says:

Another candidate bites the dust.

After Vincent Damphousse and Pat Brisson, François Giguère is now out of the running for the GM position of the Canadiens.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Bripro says:

It was posted earlier. Thanks Norm.
      The difference here though is that Vinny and Brisson politely declined, whereas Giguere is disappointed.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, I notice how I’ve been Sergeant Stale News today. Being three time zones away hasn’t served me well today in being a timely provider of new grist for the mill.

As far as the distinction in how they are no longer candidates, I wasn’t paying attention to that. I’m just really interested in who wins this horse race. At first, we had so many great candidates, it seemed like we wouldn’t be able to choose just one.

Speaking of which, I hope that Mr. Damphousse is hired in some capacity by the team, in a role he can fulfill and still meet his family obligations. He’s a smart guy, well respected, good leadership, we can’t have too many of these guys at the New Forum.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• habstrinifan says:

WOW. I thought I heard speculation that he was still in consideration especially as an assistant.

6. Bripro says:

I don’t know about you, but if David Poile or Barry Trotz came to me and said that there would be no partying until after the playoffs are over, my answer would be “sir, yes sir!”.
    That might just explain why the K brothers aren’t here anymore. It’s painfully obvious that maturity is not a prerequisite for the NHL. But it might keep you out of the press gallery.

• shiram says:

Strangely enough, Little K was not involved this time.

• Bripro says:

I hope he chewed his older brother out!
        This might mean that we can pick AK up for a song….although doubtful.

• shiram says:

I think AK had enough chances in MTL, Nashville gave him another chance, and he is not doing much good with it.

• HabFanSince72 says:

3 goals in 7 playoff games and a +3 on a low-scoring team.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• shiram says:

Come on Paul, you have to know you cannot judge AK based on so few games.
            We all know he can play hockey, and be good at it, but if he can’t follow such basic instructions it says alot about his character.

• Hobie Hansen says:

An incident like this proves that once again fans really have no idea what goes on behind the scenes.

Kostitsyn supporters were busy voicing the frustrations after he was traded but for all we know he could have been showing up to the rink hungover twice a week and pissing of his teammates.

• Bripro says:

And I was one of those supporters. I guess it’s hard to focus on the game with a hangover.

• Hobie Hansen says:

In saying that, it could just be one isolated incident…we really have no idea.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Hobie, that’s relatively naive. It’s not a one off thing. These guys have one job to do: show up on time for practices, meals, games, curfews. Easy. They’ve been doing it for years.

They didn’t happen to forget the clock was ticking. It’s a clear demonstration that they put their own personal interests above their athletic endeavours, above their job.

Saying we have no idea is completely false. We have some idea. We can judge what happened by the fact that the team decided to suspend them. If it had been a trifling thing, a minor transgression, the coaches would have excused it. That they chose to suspend them for a playoff game when they are down 0-2 speaks volumes. We actually have a very clear idea.

Not trying to assail you there Hobie, but I think you’re being very loose with language, and taking presumption of innocence to an extreme, in an unwarranted setting.

———————————
            How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• boing007 says:

They were bad boys but Trotz and Poile might regret the harshness of their punishment. An early exit from the playoffs.

Richard R
            Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Good job owning up to it Bripro. I don’t mind telling you I feel somewhat vindicated. I always saw the talent, but also the lack of effort and lack of hockey sense. I’m glad we got a second rounder out of him, goodbye and good riddance.

———————————
          How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Bripro says:

I don’t mind agreeing with most of your analogy. My contradiction to you is his hockey sense. He definitely has it. But he’s lazy. Pure and simple. He’ll give the initial surge, or hit, but then….nothing. I really thought that trading away a 20-25 goal scorer and top hitter with sweet hands would bother me. Maybe it’s because the season’s over, but …. meh.

• arcosenate says:

I would say, “Barry, how much do you save a year not needing collars for your shirts?”

7. Habsrule1 says:

Hey Boone,
    In all seriousness, a poll asking who would be our choice for the next GM, with the options being McGuire, Bergevin, Brisebois, and Giguere would probably be very interesting….and get you even more hits this time of year.

• shiram says:

Giguère is no longer in the running, according to the post just below.

• naweed235 says:

i’ll tell you right away that Bergevin would come in first followed by Brisebois and McGuire

• Habsrule1 says:

You think so? I’m not sure about that. I think the McGuire supporters are just tired of the insults after stating they think he’d be a good candidate. I say it would be pretty close.

8. mdp2011 says:

Habs GM update:

Francois Giguere has been told by the Habs that he is not in the running to get the GM job.

9. naweed235 says:

Grigorenko has Mono… not that it matters but I hope that increases the chances of MTL picking Galchenyuk over him

10. ont fan says:

Listening to Gary Roberts about Rad and AK. He can’t believe 2 new players to the team would bring controversy to the room during the playoffs. They had such a tight group before they showed up.

• The Cat says:

• adamkennelly says:

LMFAO….guess we weren’t imagining it here in MTL…really cares a lot about winning and playoff hockey eh…can’t even keep it under control in a situation where he’s the new guys, bet his teammates love him.

11. smiler2729 says:

Funny how the two new Pred comrades AK46 and AR47 get the axe yet former Hab bad boy and reformed Trotzky SK74 was home in bed reading Dryden’s The Game or something…

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

12. Gerry H says:

Hmm. So, pretty safe to say that AK is definitely going to be a rental to the preds. His stock has taken a bit of a hit. Is there a place for him on the third line with Eller?

• shiram says:

That reasonning would mean Radulov would be available too, but as a RFA.
      I doubt AK will be back next year, he’s been given plenty of chances in MTL already.

• Gerry H says:

But isn’t a consistent 20-goal scorer at around $3 million/yr decent value?

Yeah, for sure.
          But I’m thinking AK is aiming higher than 3 millions per, as he is already making 250k more.
          I think he can get at least 4 millions elsewhere, maybe more.

• Habfan10912 says:

Gerry I don’t think I’d use the word consistent while describing AK. Skill? Yes? Potential? Yes. Lets turn the page on this guy. We’ll find a 25 goal scorer somewhere with a stronger work ethic.

———————————–

• shiram says:

3 season over 20 goals, and a shortened one where he was on pace for 20 goals, Gerry did say a consistent 20 goal scorer, not a consistent player.

• Gerry H says:

Yeah, what Shiram said. He is frustrating to watch, sometimes. The guy has the skills of a 30-40 goal scorer, but the output is little more than half that. Then again, so is the salary, so…

13. Stormin says:

Video Released of Radulov’s suspected DUI try and watch whole video without laughing

14. Say Ash says:

What happened to those Russians? Were they enjoying May Day a little too much?

15. Habsolutely says:

So I guess Sergei showed some good judgement and wasn’t hanging out with big bro when the rules were broke?

16. commandant says:

Andrei Kostitsyn violating team rules.

Where is Jacques Demers to cry and call this the darkest day in Predators history?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• ont fan says:

Why did we let those Kostitsyns go?

• shiram says:

This news just made Benoit Brunet’s day.

• Habfan10912 says:

Underperforming, inconsistent athletes with talent underperform for a reason. Afraid the evidence may be piling up on this “great in the room” player.

———————————–

• SuperHabFan says:

Sad part is Andrei and Radulov have been putting up some points, that are hard to come by…

• H.Upmann says:

stealing purses and smashing cell phones no doubt…at the rippers to boot!

• habs-fan-84 says:

Russians want to win World Championships. North Americans want to win Stanley Cups. To suggest otherwise would be naivety of the first and highest order; and no, despite the musings of some, the aforementioned statement is not racist.

• Habsrule1 says:

Not racist but a bit off. There are many, and I mean many Russians that want the Stanley Cup more than a World Championship. You’re statement was more accurate about 20 years ago than it is now (although it is still true for some).

• commandant says:

How about we paint these two players as individuals, rather than saying that all players from Russia don’t care about the Stanley Cup.

And I agree your statement isn’t racist. Russian isn’t a race.

Your statement is however bigotted… painting a large group of people with stereotypes based on actions of two members of that group.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

17. Stormin says:

On that note did anyone notice Radulov back check, or i should say stroll back to the defensive zone in game 1 and 2 of the series, totally must be tearing team unity apart,

18. arcosenate says:

If Giguere is hired he will in turn hire Roy as coach, the connections are too strong, Colorado and both from St. Foy.

Ah, the obvious is my specialty.

19. Stormin says:

Nashville Predator news release
    Andrei Kostitsyn and Alexander Radulov will not be dressed for game 3 for breaking team rules

• naweed235 says:

I for one will be more upset to see Price signed for anything more than $5.5 M for 5 or 6 years as opposed to a team putting in an offer sheet which will send us those 1st round picks…
      Not because it’s Price but because no goalie in the world is worth crippling a team with that kind of money thrown at them…

• Habsolutely says:

5.5 for 5 or 6 years is ok with me. I just hope they don’t throw crazy term at him like the Loungo contract.

• boing007 says:

If that’s what he wants and he refuses to budge, then I say trade him.

Richard R
          Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• shiram says:

Offer sheets being accepted are such a rarity, apart from Penner in 2008, you have to go back to 1997 for another accepted offer sheet.
        Price would have to get a 6.3millions or more offer so the Habs get 2 first round pick.
        And upwards of 7.8 millions for the 4 first round pick.

• smiler2729 says:

Nick Kypreos knows squat about other than blue & white gossip.

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• Un Canadien errant says:

As a footnote to his article, Sportsnet appends this:

“Nick Kypreos is a Stanley Cup champion and Hockeycentral analyst”

I want to hurl. How did this guy become a Stanley Cup champion? Like Tomas Kaberle did in Boston?

The blurb should read: “Nick Kypreos is remembered only for his targeted takeout of Grant Fuhr in a playoff game by crashing and falling on him and blowing out his ACL, taking Mr. Fuhr out of the series and effectively ending his career. Mr. Kypreos never achieved anything else in hockey. Yet, he’s a HockeyCentral analyst.”

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

20. smiler2729 says:

Nashville suspends bad Russians for game 3, maybe they win…

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

• shiram says:

“The Nashville Predators have a few simple rules centered around doing the right things,” Predators president and general manager David Poile said in a statement. “We have always operated with a team-first mentality and philosophy. Violating team rules is not fair to our team and their teammates.”

Wonder what those rules are. Never liked the Radulov deal, and how he
      bolted and came back for the Playoffs, that sets an awful precedent.

edit : rumour say it’s a curfew violation.

21. ont fan says:

AK and Raduloff suspended for violating team rules.

22. shiram says:

Grigorenko out with mono, apparently it started at season’s end.
    french:

• HabFanSince72 says:

That’s two consecutive years the top prospect in Quebec comes down with the kissing sickness.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• 24 Cups says:

Depending of the severity, that pretty well guarantees that he will return to the Q next season.

That means regardless of which player the Habs draft, the 1st round choice will not play for the big team next season.

I’m fine with that. Montreal can go with Pleks/DD/Eller at centre again for 2012-13. It just means the team needs to go out and find a 4th line pivot.

• shiram says:

He’s supposed to be in total rest for 4-6 weeks.

• 24 Cups says:

Mono can have a real lingering aspect to it. It basically knocks the hell out of a person. On the other hand, the guy is an athlete and is just 18 years old which should help.

It sounds like he won’t be doing much of anything until July 1st and then training camp starts in two months. I don’t know, it was only an outside chance that he would ever make the team so what’s the rush?

• Chris says:

Yeah, it depends on the severity. One of my former housemates was a pitching prospect as a teenager when he contracted a particularly nasty case of mono. His spleen and liver were enlarged for over a year and he spent a lot of time in hospital. Basically derailed his career before it ever got going.

23. Stormin says:

Looks like when Michael Andlauer, is back in town the Habs GM committee will move onto round 3 of the interview process with the most probable battle for the job between Marc Bergevin and Pierre McGuire,

Good Luck to both candidates , and here is hoping Geoff Molson,Michael Andlauer and Serge Savard can decipher and question the future plan proposals put forth in earlier interviews and come to a favorable and unanimous decision for our next GM so he can get busy.

• Cal says:

I really hope to hell Mcguire’s consideration is only the fantasy of TSN Radio fans. He hasn’t been involved with a NHL team in any capacity for a long, long time. Just because he researches junior players doesn’t mean he knows SFA about drafting and developing players. Throw in working within a cap and attracting free agents, McGuire is more a monster in a closet than an actual candidate.

• Habsrule1 says:

That’s your opinion, but I think if he’s getting the consideration he seems to be, then perhaps he knows a lot more than you’re aware of. Is that even remotely possible, or have you read his resume?

• Habsrule1 says:

Are you aware from that that he was Assistant GM in Hartford? I’m sure the Habs committee is smart enough to figure out if McGuire is qualified.

• Cal says:

@Habsrule:

Yes, and they did so well they are in Carolina. He was assistant GM years before the Cap.
            McGuire would be wise to remain where he is. He can analyze all he wants and be thought of as something more than he is. As GM, he would be responsible for growing a team and winning a Cup. Isn’t going to happen.

24. ont fan says:

Guess I’m surprised at all the speculating on the new GM when most of us, if not all, don’t really have a clue who would be good. None have any real experience at the job. It’s a crap shoot just like our draft picks. We can only hope, with all the time they are taking to pick one, they have taken all steps to find a suitable person to do the job.

• HabFanSince72 says:

The day having a clue becomes a prerequisite for commenting online is the day Internet chat dies.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Habsrule1 says:

So now it’s McGuire’s fault that Hartford moved. You’re hilarious. He was 32 years old. As I said, the search is very thorough, and he’s on a very short list of potential GM’s right now. I don’t think he’ll get it, but it speaks volumes that he is still on that list at this point.
      You simply cannot admit the man could be a good GM. You’d rather stick to your guns and say everyone who believes he could be is wrong….not you.
      Whatever.

25. punkster says:

So many interesting questions, so few concrete answers. Who will be the new GM? Who will he/she choose as coach? Will the new management team seek to enact a wholesale change of personnel and philosophy? Will they go big and tough, speedy and skilled, or stay the course and perform a slow build? Do they trade a few existing roster players for higher picks? Will they trade some high picks for proven and experienced vets?

And the most pressing question asked daily on HI/O? Should the Habs keep RC on the coaching staff next season?

Come on Mike, inquiring minds and all that but let’s get a new poll going.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

26. sims says:

So if jordan staal is potentially available i would think that we need a manager asap to get this kid signed. we bitch and complain about no size up the middle….so lets make this happen. yes, it will cost us but we have enough youth to spare

any chance timmins is being interviewed for the job? have not seen his name mentioned anywhere but is that a long shot?

• shiram says:

I’ve had Timmins has my dark horse candidate, Seriousfan09 posted about him in his blog, and I liked the idea.

As for Staal, unless we part with first rounders, Habs do not have much to offer for a guy like him, especially for a team like the Guins that are likely looking for either scoring wingers or D.

27. commandant says:

Giguere’s stint in Colorado certainly wasn’t pretty, but he was appointed GM after the season when they made the Theodore/Aebischer deal. That one is on Lacroix.

Giguere’s worst deal was giving up the 1st round pick to get a washed up Adam Foote back from the Jackets.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

Has anybody been able to figure whom the other 2 people are on Montreals GM Search Committe that Darren Dreger refers to? He mentioned the other day that it was a 4 man search team, would Larry Carriere be part of this group or dare i suggest Bob Gainey still has input?

29. Dr.Rex says:

Reading Eric Engel’s article this morning it surely seems like he is warning fans to prepare themselves for Pierre McGuire.

• RGM says:

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst…as they say. I like McGuire more than most as a commentator, but I don’t believe that he would be the ideal GM candidate.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• awesomerino says:

I happen to think that Maguire is the best man for the job. I also think that the LCC connection b/w Molson & Maguire will seal the deal.

• Cal says:

Let us all hope you are so wrong it isn’t even funny.

• awesomerino says:

Cal, it saddens me beyond expression that the Habs have been conducting their search without the services of your infinite and definitive wisdom.

• Cal says:

The 2 candidates are Bergevin and Brisebois. Going beyond them is just a show so people can see “how wide a net” they are pretending to be casting.
            Only acolytes of Moronaro and Mitch Dullnik actually believe McGuire is a feasible candidate. Ridiculous.

• Habsrule1 says:

Glad you are in on those meeting Cal. I’ll sleep better at night knowing you’re at the helm making this decision.

30. shiram says:

Kovalchuk out for tonight’s game, lower body injury, some speculation it’s the lower back.

Numerous commentaters have made mention for a few days now that he is not skating well at all recently. Pretty big blow for the Devils.

31. Dr.Rex says:

IT seems many have fallen under the spell of Pierre Mcguire since the GM search begun. THe question is why?……………Well it really is quite simple, everyone always hears PM and his extravagant plans and what he would do to “save” the franchise. But what if we heard the same day in and day out from the other candidates? What if Marc Bergevin or Brisebois were on CJAD and let us all know their first few courses of action if they got the job. I think its quite possible that these same people that idolize and kiss PM’s boots were quickly be tooting another horn.

• Habsrule1 says:

The opposite is also true. People hear McGuire when he makes a mistake an evaluating a player. For all we know, Bergevin & Brisebois thought getting Gomez was a good idea but we never heard about it (ok, bad example, but you get the point).

• Cal says:

Remember his Big 3 in Toronto comment? Ya, he can evaluate talent, all right. Phaneuf, Beauchemin and Komisarek. Yes, you are reading correctly.

• Habsrule1 says:

Again, you have not heard anything from the other candidates. How do you know they didn’t feel the exact same way. You are picking on a couple errors when he’s been right hundreds of time.
          I hope they choose him just so you’ll go cheer for a team with a great GM like Brian Burke.

• Cal says:

I don’t hear from the other candidates because they aren’t on tv and radio displaying their “knowledge”. They actually are working for NHL teams and not just talking about it.

• Habsrule1 says:

Good point, but it also just says that while McGuire is an easy target, you don’t know where the others would have gone wrong.
            I see you are dead set against it without having the tiniest bit of an open mind, but that’s ok. We all have our opinions. I just see a lot of positives with McGuire, and he’s not even my first choice.
            I think I’d go with Brisebois given only the information that is available to me. The point is the Habs likely have much more info available to them, so I’m sure their choice will be much more educated than mine….or maybe even yours.

32. FanCritic says:

I don’t know if Maguire would make a Good GM but I do think he’s very knowledgeable when it comes to hockey. and he keeps himself well-informed with players around the globe. Having said that whom ever they decide on for GM I hope for a change he can build a cup team not just a playoff team…with a little luck here and there we could have made the playoffs this time around, but that’s not good enough. gotta win a cup once in awhile.

33. rhino514 says:

Halak wasn´t the backup last night so I assume he is still injured?
    Any word on when he could be ready to play? …not before the series is over, the way it´s looking, which would be too bad.

• RGM says:

He is confirmed to be out for the rest of the series due to a lower body injury sustained in the first round.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• habsfan0 says:

St. Louis Blues: No Halak..no chance.

34. shiram says:

It’s funny seeing the 10 million man getting bottom 6 minutes, funnier seeing that C on his chest.
    Seems Ovie’s stock has been dropping in Washington for a while now.
    Does Hunter have a better chance of staying a Caps than Ovie does?

• RGM says:

Look at it this way: if you’re George McPhee, who do you side with: a rookie head coach or the guy that puts 15,000 asses in the Verizon Centre seats every night?

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• shiram says:

I agree, Ovie is still a star player, but how long can he go on playing such minutes without blowing a fuse.

• HardHabits says:

You should have watched his interview with Elliot Friedman last night. Ovie said he will suck it up. As Clay noted yesterday in the live blog thread, Hunter is putting the screws to Ovie in a way that will make him a better team player and will help the team.

How far have the Caps gotten with an unkempt and free wheeling Ovechkin?

• shiram says:

Conference semi finals, twice.
            I did not see that interview, I usually skip the non hockey segments, so thanks for that.
            It will be interesting to see if it will actually make him a better player or not, it does not seem to have helped the team recently.

35. Cardiac says:

Another example as to the whole “Europeans suck in the playoffs” argument is hogwash, with Kopitar’s two goals last night, he’s now a +7 with 6 points in 7 games and 11 points in only 13 playoff career games. Not too shabby for a kid from Slovenia.

– Jerry Maguire

• Lafleurguy says:

You give great info, Cardiac. If you keep on the high road with your passions, the authorities may include you in the HIO elite.

Reason Over Passion influenced me as a youth. Then great players like the superb Mats Naslund, the charismatic Saku Koivu, and stalwarts like Kjell Dahlin, and Roman Hamrlik were Europeans who gave me pride when watching them play in les tri-couleurs. A couple who weren’t great, Cristobal Huet, and David Aebischer are still remembered in a positive light because they were Montreal Canadiens!

“May you live in interesting times.”

36. HabFanSince72 says:

I hate to say I toldja, but I did say that the Blues were all smoke and mirrors before the playoffs started.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Cardiac says:

Maybe the Kings are just that damn good?

– Jerry Maguire

• Lafleurguy says:

One game. Kings did make two major moves, the off-season one with Phillie, and the risky one with the Blue Jackets. May be paying off.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• christophor says:

You’ve forgotten about Counterfactual Man, Jaro Halak.

We all know what would’ve been if he started the series: flip the 2 and the 0.

37. HabsFaith says:

Anyone else thinking it might be the old flyers vs the new flyers in the stanley cup finals?

38. DarthAlexander says:

Maybe we’ll all get lucky and our new GM will be Mike Milbury with Barry Melrose as our new coach.

“We only have one person to blame, and that’s each other.” – Berry Beck

39. commandant says:

Today we’ve got one of my personal favorites I hope slides to the second round for the Habs.

Ulf’s son has a mean streak, and I’d love to see the Bruins’ fans reaction if Ulf’s kid is wearing the CH.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• 24 Cups says:

Draft picks from the 31-35 range can be golden (Neal, Valsic, Bolland, Eriksson, Stoll, Roy, Schultz). The Habs’ 33rd pick will need a few years to develop but could turn out to be a vital part of the new rebuild. This has to be where TImmins hits a homerun.

• commandant says:

Agreed, not much difference between 33 and a late first rounder.

It could be as high as the 32nd pick too.

Devils need to choose a year to forfeit a 1st rounder due to their Kovalchuk punishment.

This could be the year they do.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• JayK-47 says:

Oh wow, what years do they have the option to decide on? Can they do it draft day? During their pick?

I can’t imagine they’d forfeit the 2013 pick.

• commandant says:

Not sure when they decide, but they must forfeit one of the 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 first round picks.

SInce they’ve used their 2011 already (4th overall – Hedman)
            and 2013 is such a good draft, i think its likely they forfeit this pick and not take their chances of 2014 being a tank year without Brodeur.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

Absolutely Steve, an early 2nd round pick and having a couple the next two years, have to believe we can hit pay dirt on at least 1 of the 4, maybe get lucky with 2.

• Lafleurguy says:

Our best second rounders in recent memory have been P.K. Subban and Guillaume Latendresse. I share the optimism that a new trend will arise where we get talent like those two and the others mentioned on this thread. Add Patrice Bergeron to the list of stars who were 2nd rounders. If Danny Kristo pans out, and the odds seem longer every year, another triumph. It’s no longer about “kid turned out to an NHLer,” rather it’s about “our players are better than the other teams’.”

Given the fact that Plekanec was a third rounder, isn’t it unfair that HIO posters criticize him so much?

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Lafleurguy says:

P.S. A favored son of HIO posters is 26 yr. old Alexei Emelin, who was a 3rd rounder in ’04. If hits were more important than points he would be up there in value. I like the kid, but you need triple the number of defencemen and forwards to hit like him for that style to be effective for the team as a whole. Warning bells sounded when our second most physical defenceman threw a heavy hit in an exhibition game in Switzerland.

“May you live in interesting times.”

Well nothing like having your fans smash a car with a sledgehammer to get them into the game. Wonder if Nashville got this idea after reading about what Flyer fans did to Pat Hickey’s car.

• smiler2729 says:

Probably from the bus driver in Slap Shot…

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

41. Old Bald Bird says:

A quote from some article/blog that I clicked.

“The St. Louis Blues don’t have a high-end goalie like Jonathan Quick, but they seemingly had a nice thing going with the Jaroslav Halak-Brian Elliott one-two punch. “

• smiler2729 says:

It’s so easy to blame the goalies…

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

Agree, while Elliot may not have been stellar last night, the Blues as a team were horrible. A goalie to be consistently good must have a consistent group in front of him. It isn’t rocket science, but some fail to recognize.

The Messiah will not be making an appearance in the St. Louis vs. L.A. series.

Guess it will be another day of how Geoff Molson is deciding between Mike Emerick, Glenn Healey, PJ Stock, Kelly Hrudey and Pierre McGuire for the GM position. ;-)

• shiram says:

Halak seems to be more injury prone since going over to the Blues, luckily fro them, they make goalies look good there.
      Now if only they could score…

43. Habs_4_ever says:

Let’s get it started!

————————
    “Can we lose the parade float?…..Thank you!”
    -This Old House, GMC commerciall-

• CanadienBoy says:

McGuire is a tool

• Habsrule1 says:

Tools can be very useful.
        lol

Go Habs Go!!

Paul, I have to commend you sir. While I may be diametrically opposed to you as it relates to Pierre McGuire, you have been extremely diplomatic in your discussion of this matter. CHeers to you sir! Have a good day bud.

• Habsrule1 says:

Thanks. I appreciate the comment. I don’t really know who should get the GM job. know that I’ve been a Habs fan my whole life…well, let’s say I really remember starting to follow them a few years before Roy got there. I remember Sevigny, Walmsley, Soetart, as the first goalies when I started paying attention.
            I really don’t care who gets the job. All I know is what I hear from McGuire, and it seems to line up with my vision for the team for the most part. I also love that he openly has stated that what is important is surrounding yourself with good hockey minds, which displays that he knows he is not all-knowing as some people make him out to think. The thing is I don’t know if he is actually capable of getting the players or building the team he says he would like to. I know he has said some things that have been in bad judgement, including some evaluations. The thing is he actually says them so we can all hear it and critisize him. None of the other candidates have said these things or at least not for all to hear. I think McGuire has made much more correct statements than incorrect ones though. Again, that does not mean he’s the best choice. For that, we have to leave it up to the Habs brain trust.
            My gut tells me they will go with Brisebois….and I’ll be fine with that. Whoever gets the job will need some time to get things in order.

• Habsolutely says:

So calling someones posts “shit” and telling them they know nothing about hockey because they don’t like McGuire is diplomatic? If you say so. Must be a summiter thing.

• Habsrule1 says:

LMAO I thought you were over that joke from last night.
            You’re too much, Mr. Sensitivity.

• Habsolutely says:

you guys brought it up this morning, not me. looks like you two guys are the sensitive ones. I’m sure you’ll be patting each other on the back at the next summit discussing what a terrible person I am. Good luck with that.

• Habsrule1 says:

I did not bring you up at all today.
            I don’t judge people from their online persona.
            Personally, I’m really nice on here, but I’m even nicer in person.