Optional practice for Habs

The Canadiens had a team meeting, an off-ice workout and an optional skate for six in Brossard this morning.

Goalie Alex Auld, defencemen Yannick Weber and Alexandre Picard and forwards Tom Pyatt, David Desharnais and Max Pacioretty skated.

The Canadiens are home to the Calgary Flames Monday night at the Bell Centre before flying out immediately to Buffalo, where they’ll play the Sabres Tuesday. Then it’s back to practice with a game Friday in Ottawa vs. the Senators and home next Saturday for the homecoming of former Habs captain Saku Koivu and the Anaheim Ducks.

1. habs365 says:

what ever Bruins fan wrote this..is very ignorant and uneducated

2. observer says:

You don’t try to pressure the QB your coach is trying to lose the game and he will succeed 98% of the time. Sanchez even had enough time to waive Edwards to the sidelines where he caught the biggest pass of the game.

3. Everlasting1 says:

Season ain’t over.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

4. CBrady12 says:

O’byrne = Komisarek

5. CBrady12 says:

it’s funny how only 5 months ago that was the ONLY debate…

6. Mark C says:

Well, Montreal’s one cold streak took place on the road. It’s a chicken and egg debate; was the team cold because of playing on the road or was the team just cold, and all those road L’s killed the record.

7. Everlasting1 says:

In addition, the Habs have the 2nd best penalty kill %, the Blues 20th.

Habs are 11th best on the pp, the Blues 25th.

This all looks good on Capt. Kirk!

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

8. Mark C says:

That also counts majors, their 22th in minors.

9. CBrady12 says:

what a dumb post

10. Mark C says:

Kinda of missing the point on O’Byrne’s +/-, O’Byrne is on the ice for almost 1 ES goal per game (0.90). Spacek leads Montreal in this stat at 0.69 which is a huge difference, over 45 games which is how many Spacek has played it is an additional 9.45 goals. If Montreal scored like Colorado, Spacek could be plus 15 or 16. +/- is a really poor stat to judge players on, and it is beyond useless when comparing players on different teams. O’Byrne has done well in limiting goals against at ES, but he’s been weak on the PK. O’Byrne has been on the ice for 10 PK goals in 31 games, Hammer and Spacek have been on the ice for 13 goals in 45 and 43 games respectively. But those goals don’t count, most of O’Byrne great +/- comes from goals scored at ES, which he has very little to do with.

Forget any coaches; the reason O’Byrne is playing well is because of playing with John-Michael Liles. Liles is like Markov, who O’Byrne played well with. O’Byrne has to play with a player like Markov or Liles to cover for his short comings as a player.

SK74 is getting a point every 24:05 this season with a 22.9 SH%. His first 3 seasons in Montreal were as follows: 27:37, 34:27, and 36:59, if his shooting % were closer to his career norm is point production would be about the same as his time in Montreal.

11. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Yet they only allow 28.1 shots per game. 5th best in the league in terms of SA.

Montreal is 11th in terms of SA. One could debate that Habs goaltending has been better than St. Louis’s this season. Haha, not trying to spark a fight here bud.

12. Everlasting1 says:

Here’s a stat for all the whiners of unfair officiating hehe..St.Louis are the 2nd most penalized team in the league with an average of 15.9 pim/game.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

13. Bill says:

It can barely be disputed that Martin has a negative effect on young players in Montreal. The young players who leave blossom. The young players who stay stagnate or decline. No point going into all the names over again … it’s been well-discussed.

You spend a lot of time diminishing what several young players have managed to do since leaving Montreal, why, I do not know. Probably in attempt to buttress your biased point of view? However, some of the information you provide does not support your own argument. If Colorado is, in fact, a bad defensive team, that makes O’Byrne’s +13 look better, not worse. The Habs are apparently a good defensive team – good goaltending anyway – but OB’s +13 would rank him first on the Canadiens’ roster by a substantial margin.

You also pick away at S. Kostitsyn’s production, not regarding the fact that it has steadily increased along with ice time since the start of the year. As for your sarcasm regarding his “whopping total” of 23 points, please note that that would place him sixth on the Habs, one point behind Gionta and AK46, ahead of Gomez, ahead of Pouliot (whom you cite as an example of a young player performing well in Montreal?) and way ahead of talented prospect Eller, whom Martin has effectively buried.

Your sophistry reaches its nadir when you argue that if we credit Sacco with OB’s performance, then we must credit Martin with Wisnieski’s performance. No. Because Wisniewski was performing just as well before coming to Montreal.

Full Breezer 4 Life

14. Hagar says:

Love the pic. Where did you get it?

15. habs03 says:

Its tough to get line match up’s on the road since we don’t get the last change.

16. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Sounds good, but no one could pay me enough to go to Dallas or Atlanta for anything. Stars game is over, but I’m requesting off any Thrashers road games in advance. Add Glendale to that list!

17. habs03 says:

Come on are you serious, Auld will not get the back to back, even if he plays lights out, you kept saying how Auld was going to play Saturday vs the Rangers and JM still went Price. I wouldn’t be suprised to see Carey play all 3 games until the Ducks game and Auld plays that. But one thing is for sure, Auld is not getting back to back games.

18. HUDSONHAB says:

I would say Auld vs Flames. He has not played at the Bell Centre yet. I don’t think.

19. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Man, those are terrific numbers!

Me and the entire Hi/o members will pay you to go to every road game haha

Gotta keep the undefeated streak going!

20. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

As I mentioned below on another topic, I have been to 4 Habs road games so far this year… and they’ve won every one! Very luck, Saw one home win as well. I’m 5-0 total, looking for 6-0 Tuesday.

21. Hagar says:

Gotta please the home crowd.

22. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

I’ve seen the Habs in person 5 times this year, twice here in Buffalo, once on the Island, the Leafs game at Centre Bell, and the NYE game in Florida… So I’ve managed to see Auld TWICE though he has only started six games, and I ALMOST went to the game at the ACC in December. If Auld starts Tuesday here (I’ll be at the game), I’ll flip out. Nothing against the guy, but half my games seen shouldn’t be with the benchwarmer in net!

In other words, I’m with ya… so it’s not selfish at all haha.

23. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

WOW! I just noticed this (call me slow haha)

Habs record at home: 15-6-3

Habs record at road: 10-11

What a vast difference, holy cow!

24. jimmy shaker says:

Auld for sure vs the flames because Carey hasn’t been historically stellar vs the west over his career, and Price on tuesday for sure because he does have a great record vs the sabres during his tenure in the NHL.  And Price can’t play both because JM wants more starts for Auld so Auld will go.  And the only way you might get screwed out of seeing price in buffalo is, Auld has a very light routine 20-25 save shutout over the flames, than JM will have to give AUld the back to back, but I truly doubt ALex will get a doughnut tomorrow night.

25. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

I reeeallllly don’t like the childish fits people have with each other on here, which is why I rarely comment, but I am SO TIRED of these ridiculous posts about how horrible Jacques Martin is in general and with young players specificially. There is no basis for any of it. Subban playing well again… must be DESPITE his benching and MARTIN, Pacioretty WAY better than last year when he looked like a paper doll on skate (IN SPITE OF MARTIN), Weber looks like an adequate D-Man (IN SPITE OF MARTIN), Price, a career year with a new goaltending coach brought in by MARTIN. Thankfully he’s managed to overcome this mishandling, though. Only a matter of time before Desharnais, Weber, and Eller are ruined to the point that they can’t play on this team… because so many believed they were capable of it to begin with right?

O’Byrne has 6 points since joining the Avs with a Plus 13. He’s sure not getting those points that make him a +13. Must just be a great defender… yeah sounds good except that they are the FOURTH highest scoring team in the league, and their team GAA has went down .1 to a still awful 3.12 since he joined. They also have the FOURTH worst Goals Allowed total in the NHL on the year. What leads us to believe that he’s so markedly improved? Because he gets TOI on a team that has little or no defense and routinely wins games 6 to 5 ? Also, what do you stop being ‘young’? If everything that O’Byrne does so well (supposedly) in CO is due to someone else’s coaching at age 26, then I suppose we will give him credit for everything Wisniewski does since coming to MTL at age 26? Only fair… 😉

As for Sergei, 9 of his points including 5 goals and 4 assists (out of a whopping total of 23, a guarantee of a great career if I’ve ever seen one) have come in a span of 6 games out of 40 played. He’s done nothing for 3 games now… must be having flashbacks. I guess the Pouliot debate has to wait since the fat ass in Minny is injured, but anyone should be able to see that Benoit is a better player here than he was for the Wild.

This point of view has no grounds. “DISCUSS” haha

26. sm00re says:

JM’s system was a big factor in last year’s playoff run. He holds players accountable in an intelligent way — he gives veterans a little more time to pull it together (Spacek finally on 3rd line D pairing). As for him not being able to develop players: O’Byrne got outcompeted and Sergei forced management to deal him. JM is doing a good job with Price, PK, Webber and MaxPac.

JM is the first coach in a long time who wins games through his coaching and I’d really hate to see him go.

27. dre1744 says:

Thats  my  trademark…….

28. dre1744 says:

yup haven’t missed a day in over 5 years  here.   And  I don’t  have a easy office job either!!!!!!

29. deuce6 says:

I just read that Colin White may be available…Think PG should make a pitch..I would love to get him in MTL..Good stay at home, 3-4th pairing guy with leadership/toughness..

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

30. RGM says:

While we’re at it let’s bring back Sheldon Souray and Radek Bonk too.

31. twocents says:

O’Byrne and Sergei started having problems under Carbo. Both were demoted in Carbo’s last year.

32. Hagar says:

A penny for your thoughts on our development strategy.

33. adam76 says:

It was the 7 (seven) exclamation marks that sold it for me.

34. habsfansince91 says:

I hope its Price. Mainly because I’m going tomorrow night.

35. 23 HABS 23 says:

Hey there fellow HI&Outers, does anyone know who will be getting the start in net against Calgary?  Maybe Alex?  I hope so … I am going to the Game in Buffalo on Tuesday night – would really like to see Price play there again … I know that is selfish … but I do not get to go to a lot of games – if anyone has the inside track to the net minding rotation … please let me know!  Thanks

GO HABS GO! (Let’s go get that elusive 25th Stanley Cup!)

36. avatar_58 says:

No, sorry. I don’t like him anymore after his playoff attitude.

37. fbkj says:

i was at roy’s first game back

no tribute

i understand totally different circumstances BUT

paying homage to a player on the opposing team

its just not happening (ive been to many…. maaaaany games over the years my friend)

i see your edit: tv, thats a whole other story, tributes aplenty probably

38. Duracell3 says:

I don’t think I’ve ever been to a game where a former player has come back for the first time so I couldn’t say, most of those players would have probably been before video tributes anyway. If for anyone, it’d be Saku, given length of service, impact, and the fact that he plays for Anaheim versus say, the leafs or sens.

I should also point out I didn’t mean just at the game on the jumbo, I meant by TV as well for there being something. Although yet again, if they made no note at the game, that’s just embarrassing.

39. TorontoHabsFan says:

What a reasoned, well-thought, cogent argument!

40. habs365 says:

a lot of young players are looking for easy coaches, not like the old days..if they were sent to the AHL instead of being traded..they’d think twice..they get good money and that’s how they should play..there’s a lot of AHL players that would love to get a chance with the NHL and probably never will.

41. fbkj says:

not trying to be a dick here but tell me ONCE in team history when they ever did a tribute for a player on the opposing team…

im not saying im against it and ill be at the game in my koivu jersey, but this is not how the habs roll

42. adam76 says:

He had a bad run starting in Halifax.  I love guys like you, I bet you take a week off work the second you get the sniffles.

43. Duracell3 says:

I highly doubt they’d do anything after he retires, which in my opinion does not reflect well on the city or the team.

44. Duracell3 says:

Not sure about pre-game, but there will at least I’m sure be a video on a  timeout, perhaps not if there is something pregame, at least on TV if not at the game.

45. punkster says:

…and then?

46. gatorhabs says:

We tried that already,  didn’t work out too well.

47. HabFanSince72 says:

Interesting article by Richard Labbé on why our players do better elsewhere, with especial reference to Sergei and O’Byrne.

The writer tries his best to be fair and balanced, but it ends up a serious indictment of Jacques Martin.

He will finish the season, but if the Habs want to be a team that develops young players he has to go or completely change his approach to younger players. (Not only young players – he’s helping sap the confidence of vets like AK46 as well).

48. habsfansince91 says:

Patriots are going to make a comeback.

Edit: they just scored a TD and converted the 2-point conversion to make it a 3 point game.

49. Hagar says:

You know if Louis showboated at all during his 4 pt game?

50. dre1744 says:

hell no….  he  is a pussy  and won’t play hurt!!!!!!!

Jets are playing well! I had the Pats winning by 7. I wonder now.!

Here is where we place in the 30 team league, compare to last week.

important team stat for a winning play off team is the amount of goals
    that a team gives up against the rest of the league. We have stayed all
    year between 4th place and 2nd place. Martin sure has us play off ready

Now we start to develop the power play and a more
    consistent manner of face off wins and puck control at both ends of the
    ice, producing a few more goals for us.

Not to worry boys and
    girls, even with our injuries, we will peak at all facets of the game
    just in time for another great run into this play off season. Although
    we are sure going to ware out the edge of our seats and our finger
    nails will be a lot shorter.!

Goals Against—107,   We are in   4th place.   Last week we were in  3rd place with  99.

Total Points—– 53,   We are in  12th place.   Last week we were in 12th place with  49.

Goals For——-112,   We are in  24th place.   Last week we were in 27th place with 105.

53. TorontoHabsFan says:

A potential trade target whose name you should get accustomed to hearing – Alex Tanguay.

As a UFA he’d cost little (3rd rounder I’d reckon) and he’s rebounded nicely from his lost season in TB – 32 pts in 45 games (which incidentally would have him 2nd on these Habs).

54. fbkj says:

friday night is hockey night in buffalo

and they are in a division with 3 canadian teams

this is the natural result

55. fbkj says:

not the teams style, the crowd will cheer for saku, but a ceremony or tribute of any sorts probably wont be had while hes still a player in the league…

this is what their past handlings indicate to me at least

i could be wrong…

56. SeriousFan09 says:

QMJHL Prospect Update:

C Louis Leblanc had a 4-point game for the 3rd time this season with 1G, 3A as his offence created the first four goals in a 5-2 win for the Montreal Juniors over the Halifax Mooseheads.

D Morgan Ellis had a season-best +4 with 1A as his Cape Breton Screaming Eagles snapped a 5-game losing streak.

C Michael Bournival created the scoring for his Shawinigan Cataractes to stage a comeback with 1G, 1A for a 3-2 lead, which became a 3-3 tie and went into OT and an eventual 4-3 SO win.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

57. jennifer1984 says:

E) habs aren’t playing and Steelers won yesterday

58. jennifer1984 says:

im from stratford but my mom’s from london.

i miss home 🙁

anyway have fun at the game!!

59. punkster says:

So what’s your guess?

a) The Jets suffer a total collapse this half

b) The Pats decide to crank it up to 50% effort in this half?

c) A temporal anamoly creates a rupture in the space/time continuum and the stadium is thrust 100 years into the future, a future where the New York Jets and their bionic owner/quarterback Joe Namath leads the team to his 27th consecutive championship season!

d) You don’t really care because the Habs aren’t playing today.

60. Mike D says:

Yes.  Yes it is.

– Honestly yours

61. Mike D says:

I have no doubt that the REAL fans will give him a great ovation (I’m hoping for a 10 minute standing-O myself), cuz they realize that it wasn’t his choice to leave – Gainey just didn’t offer him a contract.  My only fear is that there won’t be enough of those types of fans there.  I’m trying to keep my expectations in check but considering everything I went through to get the tickets, to (hopefully) get the jersey in time, plus all the travel I have to do in the middle of winter just to be there, it’s kinda hard.

I realize the autograph thing might be a bit far-fetched, and likely not something Saku would do given his humble nature, but because of the charities he has I thought it could be a possibility.  The Ducks play in Toronto on Thursday but have Friday, Sunday and Monday off, so it’s feasible from a scheduling standpoint.

Keeping my fingers crossed…

– Honestly yours

62. 1010 says:

The high sticking call and the penalty given to Stamkos last night show how bad the situation is in this league. It’s very apparent the refs are calling what they think they see and cannot follow the play in this league. Add into that their dislike for some teams (our habs) and their love affair with others ( how about those leafs?) and it’s no wonder teams are pressured into not commenting on this crap.

Best refs in the world are they? Then Houston, we got a problem.

It’s very sad.

GO HABS…

63. punkster says:

There once was a youngster named PK,
    Who we all think is having a field day.
    His moves are so sweet
    And he loves to compete
    And the crowds simply can’t help buy hooray!

64. silent_witness says:

that would be amazing, but keep your expectations low, it probably is wishful thinking… but you never know with Saku Koivu, the man who gave his heart to this city.

I really hope the REAL fans chant his name with pride and give him an ovation worthy of his character.

Win with the Habs, Die with Habs… GO HABS GO for Life

65. habsfansince91 says:

I hate the Patriots, but I hate the Jets even more.

66. Mike D says:

Does anyone know if Saku will be having an autograph signing or anything this weekend while he’s in Montreal?

I know it’s not overly likely, but I figured it was possible cuz he still has active charities in the city (or at least I think he does).

– Honestly yours

67. solomio says:

Too many optional practices. Habs need more pratice in order to start clicking more. Oh yeah and establish an offensive system which they don’t have. Free form and naturals is all well and good but some low end cycling would be good and knowing where their team mates are gonna be positioned would be good too. There are too many errant passes in the offensive zone for my liking.

68. thebigguy says:

Was at the game last night. Noticed that most of the Rangers were chirping at Subban until those 2 powerplay goals shut them up. From then on, Dubiknsy was invisible.

Also, isn’t it great having young players (Pacioretty, Subban) who can get into the head of the other time.

69. Mike D says:

I really hope so!  I’m driving all the way from London, ON to Montreal just to see his return.  I’d like to see them do it during the pre-game AND have it televised, but that may be wishful thinking.

Regardless, I can’t wait to be there when they announce him and have 21,272 other fans at the Bell Centre go balistic with me!

I just hope the Koivu jersey I ordered gets here on time (Habs jersey of course, not his Ducks one – that would just be blasphemy).

– Honestly yours

70. silent_witness says:

Will there be a tribute for Saku Koivu during commercial break at the Bell? The same way the Leafs paid tribute to Sundin when he played at the ACC as a Canuck.

Win with the Habs, Die with Habs… GO HABS GO for Life

71. habsforthecup says:

Sabres have 22 b2bs. We can’t really complain…

Oops, this is supposed to go lower, sorry!

– A

72. Propwash says:

Yesssss, interception!

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

73. Propwash says:

Ugh, I hate the Patriots.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

74. Matt_in_TO says:

Funny, I thought next Saturday was the homecoming of Yapierre.  We all know who RDS is going to be paying attention to.

– In Price We Trust

Optional practice for Habs

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Carey Price

Coming off Tuesday’s 2-0 shutout of the Vancouver Canucks and last night’s 3-1 victory in Boston, Canadiens coach Jacques Martin offered his troops an optional practice this morning in advance of tomorrow’s home game against the Carolina Hurricanes.

A dozen players hit the ice in Brossard: goalies Carey Price (who plays tomorrow for his 15th start in 16 games this season) and Alex Auld and, in no particular order, skaters Scott Gomez, Alexandre Picard, Mathieu Darche, Dustin Boyd, Tom Pyatt, Jeff Halpern, Lars Eller, Maxim Lapierre, Travis Moen and Josh Gorges.

The rest of the team participated in dry-land workouts, notably a little indoor soccer.

Below, Price says last night’s win came with a style of game similar to how the Canadiens played during the postseason last year. (The first Habs Inside/Out-shot video clip, by the way. Expect to see more of it.)

1. DearyLeary says:

1) I thought we’d be in the 6-7 slot by season’s end, so this has been a pleasant surprise.

2) Price.  All have been playing great, and I’ve expected big things from Price from the beginning, but he’s playing lights out so far.

3) Gionta, he’s like Superman’s little brother.

4) Tough call… I’m gonna say Halpern, just because I already expected to be Josh to do what he’s doing.  Halpern is earning 600k this year.  He’s killing penalties, and winning faceoffs.  He’s giving confidence to Darche and Pouliot, and is off to maybe a career type year.  I don’t know if this is what PG was expecting when he signed him, but he’s getting every penny’s worth out of Halpern.

5) I’d bring Pacioretty or Palushaj up from Hamilton, let him duke it out with some of the wingers (Max, Pyatt, and Moen haven’t been a hinderance, but I’m not entirely convinced they’ve been big contributors).  A little competition, see if either one is ready to take the next step.  It’s hard to complain when the team’s winning though.

5b) On a non-personel issue, I’d love for Martin to keep up a more agressive style, akin to what we saw last night.  With smart dump-ins, good retrieval, puck support, and timely pinches from the D last night, Boston looked lost, all of which can’t be chalked up to fatigue.

2. Say Ash says:

It’s OK, I’m sure he found a way to console himself.

3. christophor says:

It’s how they played against Pittsburgh much of the time and Washington some of the time.

They weren’t averaging over 40 shots against a game. But they generally won the games in which they gave up that many shots.

From these unlikely wins, mostly due to goaltending and shot blocking, people romanticize the whole experience being like this:

-the habs were in their end the whole game

-the leagues best players were getting buckets of shots from inside 10ft, all game

-the one or two habs counter attacks that happened per game panned out.

Really they weren’t terribly outplayed by Pitt and even though there were games where Jaro played like a demon, they actually held their own a lot of the time against Wash, even when they lost.  They could easily have had game 2. People assume the whole playoffs was like the third period in Game 2 but with Jaro performing miracles.

4. geo_habsgo says:

Jar Jar I didn’t  know you were a habs fan!

5. Say Ash says:

Ah, Montreal. When I left the silly language debates behind, I didn’t realize they were keeping my cost of living down.

6. habaddict_andy says:

Looking at how Higgins looks so delighted to be with the team, makes me think he must have been bumded out about the trade.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

7. punkster says:

1. No, but you know how unreasonably, rose-coloured glasses, glass half full, positively optimistic I can be

2. Price (by a moustache hair over Pleks…but wow, Pleks is lights out awesome, ain’t he?)

3. Tough one. Have to say Gomez because of his forecheck, backcheck, stickhandling and skating skills. People often use goals or points as the measure but the complete players are more well-rounded.

4. Gorges. He’s a rock.

5. Rotate Picard with The 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse  (Hamrlik, Spacek, Gill, Markov) on occasion. Give him some experience and allow them to recharge for a game or two.

Hey, I may be on to something with this 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse thing. Now which one is which?

8. habaddict_andy says:

I think you are refering to the Kovalev’s Christmas hangover.  Not this time Chorske.  This is a complete new team leadership wise.  Last year we struggle the whole year.  But we came together in playoffs.  That’s my opinion anyways.

9. DearyLeary says:

I must say, Pricey rockin’ the Mo is fantastic.  He looks older, maybe he’s getting special powers from it.

10. fbkj says:

naw, 10-15 out of the city

11. krob1000 says:

Bobby Holik is that you?

12. Everlasting1 says:

Two Blues on that list..scratch Oshie.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

13. Chorske says:

True story: a colleague at UBC was saying that they sometimes have trouble attracting new faculty because it is impossible to find affordable housing in Van. I have to admit that Monteal, despite a crazy boom (total seller’s market these days), is still relatively affordable.

This always makes people sick: we pay 730$ a month for our 6 room apartment (three bedrooms). But that’s only because my girl has been living in the same place for twenty years. 😉

14. Say Ash says:

lol! pic 2 is classic – check out Higgins’ left hand

15. Jar Jar Binks says:

bugs wanna his munchy and he wanna it now

16. habaddict_andy says:

I think the lady is Batwoman.  Still cool.

17. Chorske says:

1. Sure, the Habs usually get off to a decent start. The true litmus test comes during the annual December meltdown, not to mention the annual western road massacre. I am actually more surprised at how poorly some of the other eastern teams are doing, most notably NJ and NYI.

2. Price, for dealing with external pressure. Pleks, for dealing with his internal pressure.

3. Gionta, by about ten trillion miles.

4. Darche. What a great story of perseverence there.

5. Probably trade Spacek.

18. Jar Jar Binks says:

missa likein whena da habs win

goin da habs goin

19. twocents says:

Yes, he has.

There are moments when he has the puck, you can tell that he sees the play very well and he can control where it’s going. Never seen that from Pacioretty.

Eller is very smart on the ice. He makes mistakes, sure, but he’ll improve there. He is also not showing signs of frustration.

20. habaddict_andy says:

1) I did say we would fight for the division title.  That is where we are at the moment.  We beat to great teams this week and that is a good reason for me to be excited.

2) Subban – some thought he could not possibly repeat last years playoff performance.  He’s exactly doing the same thing.  Very impressive.

3) I would’ve chosen Gomez but he’s not scoring as much.  Gionta is more likely the most complete player.

4) Halpern to me is the hero so far.  Not afraid to go in the mix.  That is awesome.  Pouliot is also doing really well.  Keep this line together, it’s doing wonders.  I have to admit I was dead wrong about Pouliot.  When Bugs was incouraging this guy, I thought he was not thinking straight.  But Pouliot is liking his line and showing some great hands and doing the right things.

5) I think JM is doing just about right.

21. ZepFan2 says:

I’ll try again. Benny was not a lamp lighter when he was a rookie. Give Eller the same amount of time Benny had and then come back and give your assesment.

Besides, we have a #1 goalie!

Zero replies is always telling.

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

22. Bugs says:

Everyone has a great set of skills and attributes, Deuce. Every kid will be better in 2-3 years.

I don’t see his skills being superior to other prospects in our organization at the moment though.

Has he shown you more than the Pac-Man for example, who also has skills and will be better in 2-3 years? Honestly? Cuz it looks the same to me.

Halak = Pac-Man?

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

23. twocents says:

1. No

2. Price

3. Good question, can’t honestly say, splitting hairs.

4. Halpern

5. Shea Weber straight up for Spacek. We become very very hard to beat.

24. showey47 says:

You should have given a warning about picture number 2 of 8. You see a different side of AK also,which is funny to see.

25. Bugs says:

Which is probably why we didn’t give a num1 goalie to get him at the time.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

26. twocents says:

I appreciate that.

I was just pissing around.

27. gauver says:

1.  Neither.  I would have accepted it as a reasonable expectation based on the team we saw in the playoffs. (yes, more players then just Halak played well)

2. Price.  Expectations were high for Plekanec and Subban, relatively low for Price.

3. Gionta

4. Halpern

5. Sidney Crosby for Scott Gomez

28. andrewberkshire says:

I just always had a respect for the trade, my grandfather was a carpenter. When I was a kid I loved going into his garage for the smell alone.

29. joeybarrie says:

10-5-1…. A little better than I though, but I tought we would be doing pretty good.

HALPERN…No doubt. I think we are getting what we hoped for with Gorges, I don’t think he has been unsung.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

30. Corio says:

It was exactly the style they played in the playoffs last year, both against the Canucks and Boston.  Only difference is they allowed less shots!  Keep it up boys!

1. No. The Habs had relatively easy opponents thus far and stayed healhty, and it’s early in the season. This was on unimaginable that they’d do ok with essentially the same roaster where no 25 game gelling period was required.

2. PK. Price I expected to be what he is right now because well… he is a good goalie. PK is entering his first full rookie season and quite frankly I thought JM’s “managing” would get to him. So far he’s been very very solid.

3. Gionta – can score (sort of), doesn’t mind traffic and has best defensive sense of the 3

4. Although Pouliot has made a great turn around (i am very impressed with him this season), I say Gorges cause the dude just keeps on taking the beating game after game and still gets up and does his thing.

5. Do you even have to ask? MAB is back on the top D unit and gets all PP time.

32. Say Ash says:

It’s on his business card, I believe.

33. NightRyder says:

1. Not crazy, just off by two wins.

2. Price

3. Don’t you have to produce offensively to be a complete player?

4. Halpern.

5. Gomez for Crosby. You said ANYTHING I want…

34. Say Ash says:

I know, I know. But still, I’d have to go half way to the Yukon to get that kind of deal in “Vancouver”.

35. SeriousFan09 says:

1. Way optimistic, banking on an explosive scoring campaign by Cammy and Gionta.

2. Price, I’m a huge fan of his but I didn’t think he’d play so well without barely resting.

3. Gomez seems better at the takeaway and D, while I love Gionta, his size/lack of reach does hurt him in the D zone a bit too often. Cammy is just offensively minded, he’s better than last year but he’s never going to be a top 2-way guy.

4. Halpern, a ton of faceoff wins and an expert on the PK, he’s giving the team a huge boost in PK efficiency, 96.9% on the road is just obscene.

5. Just move AK back to Plek’s line.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

36. RGM says:

Soon we won’t have our favourite tool to kick around anymore…

37. habs365 says:

His best days are behind him….in his younger days he was a good player….averaged around 25 goals per year….wouldn’t waste money on him now….the habs has to look for a player that scores 20-25 goals a year….that would probably fix or at least help the second line….other than that….more money wasted….

38. SmartDog says:

Great to have a winning team…

1. If someone told you in August that the Habs would go 10-5-1 to start the season, would you have thought they were crazy or at least – way optimistic?

2. Who’s been more impressive so far – Price, Subban, or Plekanec?

3. They’re all touted as specialists, but who’s the more complete player – Gionta, Gomez, or Cami?

4. Who’s the team’s unsung hero so far- Halpern, Pouliot, Gorges… or??  (I won’t include Subban… there’s been a LOT of singing about him, some of it even by other people. 🙂

5. The new head of whatever mafia is now in charge of Montreal’s streets has the power to get one favour from JM, owing to some photos he has from his Florida nude-beach days…  he offers YOU the power to make ONE roster change – anything you want.  What would it be?

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

39. HabFanSince72 says:

2 bedroom flats go for $400K and more in Mile End. Candiac is 30 min out of Montreal.

40. SeriousFan09 says:

Finished my copy of Todd Denault’s “The Greatest Game” That I picked up at the Summit raffle, well worth your time if you want to examine the 20-year build up that was the New Year’s Eve Game.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

41. SeriousFan09 says:

Miro was scratched from 7 games in 2009 and had 1G, 5A the whole time, averaging about 10 minutes a game, inability to play with the two most dominant players in the 2009 playoffs is not a healthy indication of his reliability.

He’s too enigmatic to be liked by JM to insist he is brought in.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

Alan Walsh, takes the “cl” out of class. Should be his new slogan.

43. twocents says:

Well, it all depends what you’re looking for.

If it’s money, a healthy and safe work environment, and a career that you can continue into your golden years, there are better choices.

Interesting line combos. I like them.

45. ZepFan2 says:

Like your boy Benny lit it up when he was a rookie.

~Serge Savard~

46. Storm Man says:

You don’t say…… Allan Walsh talks BS in the media???? this from such a class guy…….. Just take the cl out of class.

47. joeybarrie says:

Are the Habs about to sign Satan???????

Satan has ALOT of money. I doubt he would hassle himself for 500-700k extra minus taxes so he could float around and not care, especially coming halfway into the season. Another poster pointed out that he had a good playoffs last season and probably wants to play some good hockey again. Not that long ago he was a 30 goals scorer. He was one of the forwards with the most ice time last playoffs.

He is a GOOD PP player gettig 33% of his goals on the PP, AND he won a Stanley Cup 2 years ago. Played with Hal Gill. I don’t know if this would be such a BAD thing. He can be used on the 2nd and 3rd line in a pinch. JM LOVES veterans.

INTERESTING at the least. Would I rather have Guerin? IDK. two good options IMO.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

48. Don Carnage says:

So where is that fella who said the Habs were going to be stomped and crushed by the Bruins xtra.. something or another ??

49. Chorske says:

Candiac is NOT Montreal. 😉

50. twocents says:

Bugs I am willing to bet you, in some suitable medium, that Eller becomes a very good player within the next two or three years.

In my view he clearly has a great set of skills and attributes.

Carrot or drum… sticks?

51. Mattyleg says:

….yeah, but you have to live in Candiac…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

52. andrewberkshire says:

An excellent trade.

53. andrewberkshire says:

HA! I’m just glad we’re not gonna waste valuable cap space on someone like Satan, too much of an enigma.

54. secretdragonfly says:

Satan needs to get a new agent.

55. Say Ash says:

Man, I forgot how cheap living in Montreal is! Eight hundoh for five bedrooms? Wow.

56. twocents says:

Being a carpenter I’ve an unfair advantage.

57. Harani says:

On an aside, Carey Price has bought a 800 000$ 5-bedroom house in Candiac. Looks like he’ll be settlign in on the South Shore with his gf. Good for him. (source: 25stanley.com)

“It must be love!”

58. Chorske says:

That’s good. As soon as I found out I was scooped on the Church Lady SATAAAN?? avatar, I lost interest.

59. andrewberkshire says:

According to Renaud Lavoie, you hit the nail RIGHT on the head. He says the Habs told him they have zero interest in Satan, all media BS by Allan Walsh.

60. NightRyder says:

Jannik Hansen wants to fight you now.

61. NightRyder says:

Let’s go with it would be a very bad thing.

62. Bugs says:

In-depth report on everybody’s favourite Dane.

Lars Eller making a splash.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

63. twocents says:

I don’t like the idea of Satan being signed, and when you combine it with Walsh, I really don’t like it and highly doubt PG is actually considering it. The comment above makes it sound like an agent trying to prop up the value of his player and makes all of this even more remote.

I say, as long as we are winning, keep trying to work it out with the assets we have, come January, if nothing has clicked for any sustained time, then think deal.

64. andrewberkshire says:

Renaud Lavoie says Habs tell him they aren’t signing Satan, phew!!

65. Chorske says:

this was going to be my new avatar. And someone beat me to it!

well that’s just…. inconveeeeeenient.

66. andrewberkshire says:

Apparently Walsh also said the negotiations involve other teams.

67. Propwash says:

Ventuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaa…… Yes Satan? All kidding aside, I’m not sure if it will be a good or bad thing to sign him, if it is actually going to happen.

68. habs365 says:

right now the Habs are playing good defence….excellent goaltending from carey….and one of the best penality kills in the league….for now that’s the reason why they’re winning.

I have watched most of the Habs games and find they don’t have a balance attack….having said that….the first line is looking good….with cammy..pleks and gionta….they only thing I would like to see on that line….is to move cammy to the right side….he has a wicked one timer there….and try gionta on the left side….if it doesn’t work out….switch them back.

the second line is not for lapierre….sure he might have lots of drive and a decent shot but that’s it….I know you’re gonna jump on me for this….that’s alright….everyone is entitled to their opinion…I would move halpern up on left wing….and put ak46 on the right wing with gomez….ak plays better on the right wing….that’s where he was getting his points with pleks….I honestly think the second line would be almost or as good as the first line with this combo

the third line….jm could have pouliot..eller..darsche….they could produce bonus goals now and than….which is needed badly….you can’t have a talented young kid like eller playing on a checking line….he won’t learn anything and this kid is gonna be ruined.

the fourth line is for players like….moen..lapierre and pyatt that play a checking role and they’re very good at it no shame there….every player on a team has a specific role and they are put in a certain position and situation to carry out that role….that’s how you produce winners

congrats to the Habs….you’re playing great guys….just a little more scoring.

The Rocket.

69. Hobie Hansen says:

Satan would be OK I guess…nothing to jump and down about that’s for sure. He’s 35-years-old and maybe a 15-goal-scorrer if he were able to stay healthy for 82 games. There’s a reason he’s not playing for anyone right now, kinda like MAB.

70. andrewberkshire says:

From what I’ve heard about him over his career, very similar to Kovalev, moody and quiet. Interesting guy, but goes into funks all the time and isn’t exactly a great teammate.

71. Mike says:

Anyone know about Satan?( The players)  Anyone know how he plays. I remeber he was decent last year when he signed. What about in the locker room?