No lineup changes for Habs in Game 2

The Canadiens hit the ice in Tampa just before 11:30 a.m. for an optional morning skate as they prepared to face the Lightning in Game 2 of their playoff series Friday night (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

A dozen players took part along with both goalies – Carey Price and Peter Budaj. After the skate, coach Michel Therrien told reporters in Tampa there would be no changes from the Game 1 lineup, which won 5-4 in overtime Wednesday night.

Only 10 skaters and goalie Kristers Gudlevskis took part in the Lightning morning skate. Rookie winger Ondrej Palat, who suffered an upper-body injury in Game 1, wasn’t on the ice and will be a game-time decision.

After the skate, Dale Weise, who was acquired from the Vancouver Canucks in February and scored the OT winner in Game 1, talked about the leadership in the Habs’ locker room.

“I think we have great leadership in this locker room,” Weise told reporters in Tampa. “It keeps guys grounded when we have good games and we don’t dissect things too much when we have bad games. We have some things we want to tighten up from last game, but we didn’t dwell on that and at the same time we don’t think we’re awesome because we scored five goals. The poise on this team is unbelievable.”

Here’s how the Habs lines are expected to look for Game 2:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Prust-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller-Gionta
Bournival-Briere-Weise

(Photo by Chris O’Meara/The Associated Press)

Game 2 preview, NHL.com

Game Notes

Game Day Report, Canadiens.com

Morning skate interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Habs hope to tighten defence in Game 2, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Five keys to Game 2, Canadiens.com

Catholic church gets Habs Fever, montrealgazette.com

‘Subtle’ Stamkos sparks Lightning, by Bruce Arthur of Postmedia News

Three keys for Lightning and Canadiens in Game 2, NHL.com

Stamkos dealing well with great expectations, Tampa Bay Times

Lightning coach says Game 1 was worse on review, Tampa Bay Times

Lightning needs to shoot if it wants to score, Tampa Bay Times

30th anniversary of Good Friday brawl between Habs and Nordiques, Stu on Sports blog

1. Haberoooo13 says:

I think the Charleston Chiefs are the only acceptable 2nd team.

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

2. Danno says:

300!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

3. Izzy says:

Go Habs….Go Wings….Go Stars……Go….sun for tomorrow…fer chrisakes…

After Emelin hits you, you get coloring books for christmas……

4. WVHabsfan says:

My second team is the Blue Jackets

5. Mr. Biter says:

Habs Bleacher Report just popped up on my Hotmail for anyone who reads it. Good read but for fun go to the “Best Playoff Beards” to #15.Now that was some beard.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

6. Maritime Ronn says:

Hi CJ

Good/Great to see you back!

You are a very polite, knowledgeable, and respected young man with great posts and insights to offer, yet you should NEVER be cyber-intimidated by a clown – a ‘certain Habs player’ know nothing, moronic apologist that challenged you some nights ago with his so very cute and imbecilic and subtle personal attacks.
    He knows who he is….

Your opinion – whether right or wrong ( It was absolutely right…) is always very much appreciated, and don’t let some perhaps drunk/drug infested low life attacks make you go away.

HIO is what it is – a great and marvelous place to exchange.
    Pick you spots….

From here, you are a wonderful poster.
    Ignore those idiots.

• CJ says:

Thank you Ronn. I replied below. Again, my sincere thanks. Kindly, CJ

• Adidess says:

A lot of “compliments” in your post towards somebody, Maritime Ronn. I don’t spend enough time here during weekdays, so I am not sure I know who that person is, but clearly you could pay CJ all the compliments in the world, without having to put anybody down like that. It’s unnecessary.

I like CJ too as a poster – he’s knowledgeable and passionate. We would miss him if he left. But you can tell him all that without resorting to this type of language and personal attacks.

Being challenged is something one should expect when you’re vocal and part of fan community with affinities with many different players. Nobody is above it, no matter how much you think you know about the players and the game. Unless the person challenging you is impolite, arrogant, angry, and completely unreasonable that is…

CJ – welcome back!

Go Team CHanada!

• Maritime Ronn says:

As mentioned above…

“… his so very cute and imbecilic and subtle personal attacks.
        He knows who he is….”

• CJ says:

Thank you Adidess! Glad to hear from you! Cheers, CJ

On an aside, I love talking hockey, or sports otherwise. I love hearing stories, especially from the more mature members of our community who shared memories of the old forum, seeing Beliveau, etc. I can’t get enough of that. Let’s keep it there. Nothing should be about me.

Again, best wishes, CJ

• habcertain says:

are you referring to me?

7. CJ says:

Quick question, does anyone have a second and/or third favorite team?

Allow me to provide some context. My buddy, a Sens fan, tells me that he is now cheering for the Av’s and Flyers because they are his second and third favorite team respectively. I told him that this is the issue with Ottawa, and one of the biggest reasons why I’ve been to games this year where only 12,000 fans were in attendance (on all three occasions it was reported as an official attendance total over 17,000 which is a joke. I digress). I told him the issue, IMO, with the Sens is that their fans are not 100% in. It’s like betting $100 on red, than hedging the bet by placing $50 on black. I told him that there are teams I enjoy watching more than others, but I don’t have second and third favorite teams who I cheer for. I cheer for Montreal only. When hockey ends, I cheer for the Yankees, and Dale. jr, Philadelphia Eagles, Syracuse Orange, etc……

This IMO, is why hockey is suffering in Ottawa. Too many casual fans. Any opinions? Agree, disagree or otherwise…..CJ

• Haberoooo13 says:

Plus arena location

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

• Danno says:

I think we’re all Red Wings fans for the moment, if they can beat the Bruins

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Whenever I watch any hockey game there is always one team that I would rather see lose, but I definitely don’t have a “second favourite” team. My favourite team in any sport hasn’t change since I was about 6 years old either, except in baseball when the Expos ceased to exist. If you’ve got a second favourite you don’t really have a first favourite IMO.

• slapshot777 says:

I was an Expos fan too, Sean but when the Expos left and the way in which MLB allowed this to happen, left a bitter taste in my mouth. I mean when this was going on the there was suppose to be three teams “contracted.” The other two were suppose to be Minnesota and Pittsburgh.

Funny how MLB never really pursued the contraction issue with Minnesota and Pittsburgh but were hell bent on moving the Expos. Jeffrey Loria = a$$hole he was in my opinion the guy who MLB wanted to buy the Expos and then move them. He cleaned the Expos out right down to the office furniture. I believe the deal with Washington was done several years before the Expos left. MLB never wanted the Expos to last, so once they got their chance to pull the plug it was a no brainer. It must have killed MLB to see the Jays win it twice.

I hope I get to see the Expos return, but until that day I never watch MLB again.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…if the Habs do not make the playoffs, or are eliminated, that’s when I am as interested in who wins the Cup as I am in who wins the British Legion Hall Darts Competition

…this season, if anything unfortunate happens to Our Drive for 25, I believe I will occasionally be looking-in to see how Patrick is doing in Denver …solely based on Patrick, not any feeling for the Avs

…Your friend and I diverge completely when it comes to the Philthydelphia Phlyers, though …the last team I would follow :)

_________________________________________________________
      Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Syracuse going to have a breakout year in football Cj!

Agree, I can’t imagine cheering for another team but Montreal. Even the thought of it makes me ill!

• D Mex says:

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Clay says:

I’m not certain you could say that I have other favourite teams, but there are only certain other teams I want to watch play (in the playoffs – not so much in the regular season). I am very interested in the Blues/Hawks series, and the Wings/Bruins series. I have always has a lot of respect for both the Wings and Hawks, kind of like the Blues, and love to see the Bruins lose…

__________________________
      ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

• unclefester says:

Very good question CJ. May I piggyback on your thread and expand by adding the following?? Is there any team you absolutely cheer against 24/7. For me it’s the Leafs. Doesn’t matter who their opponent is. They’re getting my full support when playing against Toronto. Thanks CJ

• CJ says:

Ottawa, Boston and Toronto – in that order. Ottawa bothers me more than any other franchise in professional sports.

For example, people often talk about Matt Cooke’s hit on Marc Savard and the fact that it was one of the reasons his career was cut short. Does anyone remember Neil’s hit on Chris Drury? Without looking it up, the short answer is likely no. It was the prelude to the brawl during which Andrew Peters and Ray Emery fought. Neil, unbelievably, is lauded as a clean player, yet he is among the cheapest, dirtiest, in the entire league.

• slapshot777 says:

Hi CJ, I never have and never will have “alternate” teams when t comes to Hockey and the Habs. I have always been a Habs fan true and true. Once they are gone I still watch hockey but have no allegiance to any other team. I bleed the Bleu, Blanc and Rouge.

I have always felt and said that anyone who has second and third teams, do not hold allegiance or are very confident in their original team to begin with. If you have a team you stick with them though the ups and downs. I have been lucky enough to see seven championships. I hopefully will live long enough to see a few more.

This cheering for other teams, just doesn’t wash or do anything for me.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• Lafleurguy says:

Jets, old loyalties die hard. Sutured a cut for Dale Hawerchuk.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

When the Habs’ season ends, I switch to baseball. I love the game of hockey, but if the Habs aren’t playing, I check the scores online.

Ottawa suffers fan shortages because it is a small town and the Sens have not become part of the culture, from what I can see. It isn’t a real city with deep hockey roots, and there are probably more ‘old loyalty’ Leafs, Flames and Habs fans there than Sens followers. A lot of the people in Ottawa haven’t taken root there, and the team is the same. The suburbs are like big campgrounds and the hockey team is just an entertainment option.

A few years ago, one of the Sens’ players lived around the corner from my sister, and I remember watching kids playing road hockey pretending they were Sundin while he walked by with his dog, not even drawing a look from them. That would never happen in Montreal.

• CJ says:

Thank you for the replies. Keep them coming. Very interesting information.

In fairness to my friend, and to those of you who do have second favorite teams, it never donned on me that people did that. I do enjoy watching certain teams, but again, it never donned on me to cheer for one. I do cheer against Ottawa, Boston and Toronto, and don’t like certain players around the league, but otherwise I’m mostly on the lookout for good hockey and good fights (sorry, I know that’s not popular). I don’t like to see guys hurt, but I’ve always enjoyed a good, fair exchange. I’m not a fan of the staged stuff, but watching Tinordi step up to Gryba after he hit Briere was exactly what I like seeing.

8. WVHabsfan says:

Actually. I am kind of a good responsible citizen. I am 36 going on 16 teen!!

It is abundantly clear that the Habs, who have always been very good at amateur scouting, are finally now giving every impression that they are very, very good at pro scouting.

Murray, Briere, Weaver, Weise and Vanek have all proven to be fruitful acquisitions. Kudos to the Habs brass.

10. WVHabsfan says:

Hey Biter. I was hoping to hear from Front. I have a feeling that he is a Canadian version of me. Probably had more than he should but is a good responsible citizen!!! Beat the Bolts!

11. Sportfan says:

Lindback is in again tonight?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

12. Sportfan says:

Can’t wait for the game tonight, I’ll be at the Manoir with a group of friends tonight celebrate the winter semester and its end and hockey of course!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

13. WVHabsfan says:

Ha ha. Thank you Hobie and Habkin. You are exactly right, I drank myself sober. Thanks for the laugh brother. Beat the Bolts!!!

14. habkin says:

WVhabsfan, you drank yourself sober:) Go Habs Go! Our boys will get to their goalie tonight early! Cheers

15. WVHabsfan says:

Any of you ever been drinking and can’t even get a buzz going? I have been drinking for hours and I got very little going on

16. Adidess says:

Another thing people need to realize… The Habs can play better than they did in the last game, no question. But they can play better and lose this time, ironically.

Let’s cheer for a second win on the road tonight, but let’s not get too cocky at this point.

17. CJ says:

Good afternoon folks.

Just picked up my playoff tickets. On that subject, and I’m not questioning Ronn from the previous thread, but the information regarding average ticket price seems very inflated. I know what I paid as a season ticket holder for seats in the lower level Reds. I just don’t understand how the average price is listed at $306? The only explanation I can figure is the average must include the boxes. In any event, I’ve always questioned the revenue reporting from professional sports franchises, so, unless you have direct access to the books, I’m not sure anything posted on the internet is more than an educated guess.

I do appreciate that this is a very subjective statement, and I don’t have statistics to back my theory, but I’ve always considered the odd number games the most influential in a seven game series. Game 1 sets the deck. Game three changes momentum or puts the opponent on the ropes. Game five is pivotal, while game seven is the clincher. Tonight is an important game for Tampa, and 0-2 as opposed to 1-1 is fantastically different, however the team that manages the moment better will be the victor. Tampa is a young club and may get into a panic mode if they get down early. I’m sure the Lightning, their fans and Tim Peel will do everything they can to prevent that from happening, however I fully expect Montreal to play a much more rigid game, within a defined system. We were a little loose in the defensive zone and we had an uncharacteristic number of breakdowns which let Tampa hang around. I expect that this gets cleaned up. What’s amazing, IMO, is the scoring through the first game, which has been significantly higher then the regular season average. Sure, very small sample size, but to see it repeated across every series is very interesting. Probably nerves and young players over hyped…..

Lastly, does anyone know what number Tim Bozon wore at the development camp? I’d like to get two jerseys done at the team store on Tuesday night for my boys. I know he wore 21 in Kelowna, but I’m getting conflicting information on what he might have worn in Montreal. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, CJ

• Mavid says:

welcome back :-)

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Al Burtlap says:

Glad to see you back CJ – i am very happy for you that you get to attend a (some?) home playoff game(s).

• habcertain says:

I see him in a 56 practice jersey

• Hobie says:

My buddy bought two tickets in the reds, corner, about half way up, Habs shoot twice, for game 3 for $225 a piece. Face value from canadiens.com

Sold them on Stubhub for $1000 for the pair.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi CJ

Good/Great to see you back!

HIO is what it is – a great and marvelous place to exchange.

From here, you are a wonderful poster.
      Ignore those idiots.

• CJ says:

I thank you for the kind words Ronn. Glad you are online as one of my questions was a derivative of your previous post regarding ticket prices.

Zero hard feelings regarding any comments made. I have nothing but respect and admiration for all members of this community. I grew up in a very small town and was taught to be humble and respectful. I revered my parents, teachers, coaches and God (I’m not preaching religion, just stating a point). It’s me that needs to develop a greater understanding for online exchanges. I take people literally and at face value.

I regarded my break as an opportunity for reflection. I’m going to move forward, with new lessons and experiences under my belt. Again, all good.

Best wishes, CJ

18. Habitant in Surrey says:

…now I’m not going to second-guess the Coach that led Us to the play-offs, and has given Us Our best season in years

…BUT !!! …if Patrick Roy had been Our Coach, would not Jared Tinordi and Nathan Beaulieu be in Our defensive alignment in place of Boullion and Weaver ?

…total respect to Weaver and Bouillion, whom are war-horses and in Their own-right are giving Their all for Our success so far

…but wouldn’t Our offence be much more productive and have much more offensive zone possession with Tinordi and Beaulieu ?

…My opinion is that would be but one significant difference between a Roy-team and Our present Therrien Team

…hey, when the Guy is winning, I won’t second-guess

…right ? :)

• BJ says:

Roy is confident and secure and Therrien is not.

• boing007 says:

Wrong. Would prefer to see Beaulieu and Tinordi as well. They fit in better with a speed, puck possession
      game.

Richard R

• johnnylarue says:

If Roy were the coach, Tiny and BeauBeau would have been on the roster with the big club from the start of the season, and would at least theoretically be totally ready to see some real ice time in the playoffs.

As it stands playing them now is a bit more of a gamble than it ought to be.

• CJ says:

I agree with this 100 percent. No sense debating the issue further. I can’t argue the results thus far, but our defence is significantly older than any other team in the playoffs. Funny, we are older, but we are not more experienced. Emelin played his very first playoff game on Wednesday night. That was also Weaver’s 12th career playoff start. Funny, they both looked like rookies in terms of mistakes and poor reads.

• Al Burtlap says:

Last night was difficult – watched McDonagh play a (mostly) solid game then pined over Patrick during the Colorado game.

long sigh…

And for me, this is not an indictment of Therrien whose results speak for themselves it is simply stating my desire that Roy coach the Habs one day. I will always believe he would have been a better choice for developing our youth.

But hey – who cares about that right now when we’ve got all these great guys right here to cheer for! Here’s to big energy tonight and hopefully a lot of sound and inspired play.

19. RetroMonkey says:

The Stanley Cup winners start kicking ass tonight!
    Read the media guide.
    It’s the truth.

Bruins will win with Rask in nets.

20. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I was going to pass on tonight’s game as this sexy Asian neighbour of mine asked if I would be interested in her ‘special’ Moo goo gai pan recipe at her house for supper

…then I heard Nazem ‘The Dream’ Kadri was hired by HNIC to increase the apparent low ratings of the Habs’ and Lightenings’ series

…what do You Guyz t’ink ?
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least:

Mike Boone; Hockey Inside/Out blogger: MARCH 25, 2014 AT 7:54 AM

“Finding every way to stir up sh.. is pretty much my job description.”

21. The Teacher says:

The unconventionality of it just might actually work. Never try and we’ll never know. Go Habs Go

22. UKRAINIANhab says:

Imo, habs win tonight and its done.

Tick, tock tick, tock

23. Prop says:

That can’t be good, there’s a tornado warning for the Tampa area…

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

24. For all you non twitter people.

After Elliot Friedman reports Nazem Kadri will be on HNIC’s panel one twitter fan replies.

Ben Dawson ‏@BenjaminJDawson 14h@FriedgeHNIC
    Will that make him the Maple Leaf with the most playoff experience?

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

25. formerly known as the hc says:

There will be no sweep in this series. It’s going 6 games for sure. GHG

-The beatings will conmtinue until morale improves-

26. RockinRey says:

Big game tonight!!!! Love to see them get a stranglehold!!!!

——————————————————————————————————
    ‘This organization going forward must set its sights on competing for the game’s ultimate prize every season — and no lesser standard should be accepted.’

27. Adidess says:

Warning!!!

Many seem to believe we can only win tonight’s game. Well, we’re all cheering for just that, but don’t lose perspective.

In fact, I know some of the people who think we’ll likely sweep Tampa are the same folks who will say the Habs suck if they lose tonight. It’s tough to win two consecutive games on the road in the playoffs, unless you’re really, really lucky or a much better team than the opposition. I don’t know if we know for sure on any of these propositions.

Go Team CHanada!

• Phil C says:

I feel they are playing with house money tonight. Even if they lose they go home with the split on the road.

• Donkey Hoat says:

Have to agree; TB will come out very strong tonight, and more than likely their coach has made some good adjustments.
      I just hope our coach has done the same.
      And yeah, if we’re behind 2-1 after one period, the same people who think we can sweep TB will be demanding to trade PK, Plekanec and Price.

• JUST ME says:

Although i understand your cautious warning i do not think that anyone is that naive to underestimate the Bolts if they have any idea on how the season went and ended. But i do not see either why we should not root ,cheer,spit,yell and enjoy if the idea is to share our passion for the Habs. And why not a sweep ? So far so good !

I do understand what you mean but am so tired of having the mentality to be happy to have made it in the playoffs when actually sometimes it would not hurt to think big mug !

Who knows where it could go or how soon it can end ? Let`s enjoy !

• Adidess says:

There is a world of difference and a wide spectrum between being happy just to be in the playoffs and predicting a sweep after one win in OT.

Expecting a sweep is setting yourself up for disappointment. The power/irony of expectations is such that winning this series 4-3, will feel a little disappointing. A sweep would be nice and all, but it’s not necessary for anything, so why put your expectations at that level. If it happens, than you are over the moon. If it doesn’t, no big deal, you’re on to the second round, so you’re happy.

You can cheer for 16 consecutive wins all the way to the Cup all you want, but to expect it, for example, would be foolish. You may not be able to see the big win for what it is when it happens, because you expected so much more. I know people like that who can’t enjoy anything they have in life, because they thought they would have had so much more.

Go Team CHanada!

• habcertain says:

TB will be firing on all cylinders tonight, being down 2-0 starting at home, is no treat. If they get the goaltending, the Habs will need to be much better than game 1. The D needs to step up, I thought Tiny would have been a nice insertion for Frankie, or Weaver, who was god awful in game 1.

28. The Teacher says:

It’s to move PK to a “Cammy position” and have vanek on the defense with Markov.

• Mr. Biter says:

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen PK play anything but defense. Rather Vanek in Cammy’s old spot which would open up the points on the PP. See below post.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

29. on2ndthought says:

On the subject of our powerplay: I think we’re over-thinking. Get Vanek in front, and just dump the puck there. Don’t worry about a perfect shooting lane or shot. Dump it from behind the net, from the point, from the half-wall. He is big, slick, and super competitive. Yes, you will lose possession and chase a lot; but we’re already doing that. Vanek will tip, wrist , head in the puck, or an occasional rebound will squirt out to MaxPac. Lindback seems to be an easy read: if he’s standing, shoot low, when he goes down, top shelf.

“a cannonading drive”

30. Mattyleg says:

In other news, anybody else notice how brutal Quick looked last night?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

31. RockinRey says:

Bergevin will never live this down

32. RoofDaddy says:

Tampa sweep still in the books…4 straight from here on in

Tonight’s score

TB 3 – MTL 2

1st Period
    TB Stamkos
    MTL Gallagher
    MTL Desharnais

2nd Period
    TB Killorn

3rd Period
    TB Paquette

• habsfan0 says:

Don’t bet the mortgage on it.

• Adidess says:

Two things:

1. Tampa dominated the regular season games between the two teams. It’s one game, they are far from dead. They won’t be playing dead tonight.

2. Watch the referees tonight! We will have to win this one hands down. We won’t be enabled to sweep anybody, that’s sure.

Go Team CHanada!

• Mr. Biter says:

Dominated? 3 OT games and one game with an empty netter. If that’s domination I have some Warm Beach front Property in Northern Manitoba with a lovely view of the Gulf of Mexico to sell you at a cheap price.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• Adidess says:

Biter,
          They won 3 games out of 4, and physically dominated us, as far as I can remember… You could call it domination, if you’re looking at it from that angle.

But fair. I like what you said for another reason. If their 3 wins against us during the season can’t be viewed as having been dominating, why do we have this feeling of overconfidence after 1 OT win the other night?

Go Team CHanada!

• JUST ME says:

Wow ! Member since yesterday ! Keep it up troll !

33. Habfan10912 says:

Do all NHL officials get to work games in the first round? Perhaps its based on seniority?

I’m trying to figure our how Chris Lee gets to work playoff games. Clearly his evaluations put him near the bottom of officials. Just mind boggling. Talk about rewarding poor performance. Jeez.

34. Mattyleg says:

Buddy of mine was telling me about Cretin’s Corner last game, where Don Cherry was talking about Gallagher, playing highlight clips of him, during the Habs game, and within seconds they were talking about the Leafs and why they’d missed the playoffs.

Hilarious.

That, my friends, is yet another reason why I am RDS all the way.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

35. RockinRey says:

I pose this question to the commentariat…….

Scenario – Habs playoff game 2…. You have to make a choice between pretty much guaranteed sex or watching the game but you can’t have both and the option for sex is not on the table before or after the game . What do you do? And sex is not on the table the day before or the day after the game…..

———————————————————————————-

36. habsfan0 says:

3-0 Habs.
    Bouillon,Weaver,Patches.

37. WVHabsfan says:

Live near pittsburgh not love

38. WVHabsfan says:

@Mad Habber. I love near pittsburgh and the pens play by play guys suck royal d&@$! Totally bias. They will talk about Crosby regularly even if he is not in the game.

39. RockinRey says:

40. JF says:

Random playoff thoughts:

I expect the Lightning to play the kind of tight-checking, defensive game they played against us all season as opposed to the more wide-open game we saw Wednesday night. They’ll try to shut down the centre of the ice and keep us to the outside, and they’ll do a much better job of protecting the front of their net. They’ve been successful against us playing that way, giving up only a single goal in each of the four games (plus the SO goal in the one game they lost). So they’ll hope to win a low-scoring game, preferably in regulation. If they win, they’ll try to play the rest of the series like that. If they lose, they’ll be in trouble, particularly if they lose because of goaltending.

That Rangers team is excellent. No absolute stars apart from Lundqvist (although, sadly for Habs fans, Ryan MacDonagh is well on the way to becoming one), but they’re very well balanced and they have depth and enough grit. They play a much more dynamic style under Vigneault than they did under Tortorella. I felt positively jealous watching them score two beautiful goals on a four-minute powerplay. They’re my dark horse candidate to come out of the east.

The Blackhawks could be in trouble. They had an already almost lifeless Blues team down on one knee, so to speak, and let them get up. Instead of sucking out most of what life the Blues still had after six consecutive losses, the Hawks gave them life. Last night’s game could already be the turning point of that series, especially as Ryan Miller, who had been only mediocre lately, suddenly seemed to find his confidence and his big-game demeanour.

41. Adidess says:

It’s often said, it is the little things that make a PP effective or completely deflating.

My (amateur) observations on the current structure are the following. Vanek may not be parked right in front of the goalie all the time on the PP, but he’s always around the net. With those hands, I’d be tempted to leave him there for deflections or rebounds.

Pacioretty has benefited from the addition of Vanek, but on the PP it seems he’s not sure where to be now in the zone. When he moves, ne needs to be more purposeful in terms where he’s going.

In any case, we need more puck directed at the net from angles other than the point. I have been feeling our forwards return the puck to the point too often or too soon, when they have it on the half-board. They need to let the PK challenge for the puck a bit more, in order to move it into open space. Otherwise, it’s too easy.

I know little about structure, but watching so many games over the last 14 years gotta count for something. Half-board: God, I hate that term!-)

Go Team CHanada!

42. zoomzip says:

There were 2 goals that Price should have had. If he would have been on,they would have won in regulation. There’s only 2-3 scoring threats with Tampa. And for Cripes sake get the power play going!! It’s at the point that I get mad when they get a power play. PK, shoot shoot shoot.

43. WVHabsfan says:

Think of how many players who are undersized would love to be built like Bourque.

• RockinRey says:

And he is as dumb as a bag of Hammers . I have heard him speak!

• 365fan says:

Therefore will fit right in on HNIC (apologies to Friedman)

• RockinRey says:

Friedman is ok. He is a little sanctimonious on the fan.

• Adidess says:

I am not so certain that Kadri is dumb. I have heard him speak as well. My personal opinion is: inconclusive.

CBC is probably trying to appeal to its depressed ‘core’ audience by inviting him, but I will wait to make a definitive judgement on how dumb Kadri is.

Go Team CHanada!

44. Mavid says:

I want the honey badger to score at least one..GWG would be nice..I just love that kid..works like a dog and he is always smiling..he deserves it

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

45. UKRAINIANhab says:

Habs 3
    Bolts 1

Pacioretty, Plekanec, Boullion

46. Danno says:

Everybody’s doin’ the Bergevin Boogie.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

47. on2ndthought says:

I’m not liking the way TB is not being given credit. The Habs (except Prusty who was rusty and Emelin, who couldn’t keep up with the pace of the game) played about as good a road game as I’ve seen; and we still almost lost.

The TB forwards are big, fast, brave, and creative. We can’t ask Price and the D to shut them down. Our forwards were awesome most of the game, backchecking, creating turnovers (mostly in the offensive or neutral zones) and then maintaining pressure. When breakdowns in coverage occurred TB was quick to capitalize, and Price had many uncomfortable moments.

Hopefully Emelin will rebound, run around a bit less (I know his numbers were good, but he had truly awful moments). Prust will be better each game. Just expect every game this series to be bitterly contested. Second string goalie, top forwards injured, whatever…. that is still a top-notch team we have to beat.

“a cannonading drive”

• Adidess says:

I somewhat agree that we’re overlooking the fact that Tampa Bay almost won that game. There was one scoring chance in particular in OT where I couldn’t believe Tampa didn’t put it in, and Price actually made a couple of outstanding saves in the extra period.

I completely disagree that the Habs played a perfect road game, however. Few shots, but plenty of scoring chances for the opposition. So many key guys had sub-par game (Markov, PK, Price, Emelin, Patches), it’s hard to believe we’ll see something like that again and come out with a win.

So I see where both sides are coming from. If you’re Tampa Bay, you think we only need to shoot more to score more goals and be a tiny bit tighter defensively. The breakdown that led to the OT goal was ridiculous.

If you’re Montreal, you’re thinking, we played like that and still won. Price, among other guys, will be better, no way we’ll lose to that team.

Go Team CHanada!

• RockinRey says:

They had the takeaway by Gorges the backcheck by Vanek that could easily have been goals. There were at least 4 or 5 times wide open nets were there for the taking.

Remember too that the Habs hit the post twice.

• on2ndthought says:

That is kinda my point (your 2nd paragraph). Those WERE dangerous opportunities they created in the midst of being dominated possession wise. Our plan was to keep them pinned back; that has inherent risk. Our D and keeper looked bad when TB broke the pin. This should be a good series, but we are going to have to play our butts off.

“a cannonading drive”

• BJ says:

I agree Tampa has an excellent team and cannot be taken lightly. The Habs are also a good team and will have to have the pedal to the metal every game, this will dictate how many more excellent teams we will face from series to series. There are no easy teams left, its a battle to the end.

• JohnInTruro says:

If Price played the way he did throughout the year this game would have gotten out of hand early. TB was never in it, but Price wasn’t on his game. Hopefully he is his normal self tonight. Something like 40-14 the shots after the 3rd never should have had this game in doubt. TB’s forwards do not scare me outside of Stamkos. They have no depth beyond their 2nd line (save Purcell). If we’re worried about TB’s forwards we’re in trouble in round 2 and so on…

48. ont fan says:

As for the predictable PP, steal ideas from the good ones in the league. Don’t get it. Lots of talent and no results.

• RockinRey says:

I agree Ont Fan. Look at works and duplicate it. Even though the pk is working there are some teams that are able to take advantage of what others teams give them. I say break down the video of teams that are successful against the Habs to see what they do . Or dissect the best PP’s to see what kind of things they exploit.

• Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Pk needs to use his wrist shot more often, like last year.
      This year he’s abandoned it.
      Execution speed needs to be quicker.
      And then there’s put someone in front of the goalie.
      How many times do we have to say that!

• RockinRey says:

Yup!

49. PADPZ says:

Good places to watch the games in Calgary, with sound?
    Thanks!

50. The Teacher says:

Score? 4-1 Habs. Habs in 5.

51. The Teacher says:

Mr. Biter.

All they have to do is switch PK and Vanek in the PP and you have a different look, and the kovalev scenario is reborn in the form of PK subban’s howitzer.

• RockinRey says:

How so ? PK down low? And vanek at the point? He hasn’t got the legs to get back if there is a puck lost at the line. Cause Markov is not going to have the foot speed to get back.

• Adidess says:

Good point. You need a guy with food speed and great skating at the point, that’s why the part-time second unit of Gorges and Emelin scares me sometimes.

Go Team CHanada!

• Mr. Biter says:

Sorry but I’m missing the point your trying to make. Is it to move Vanek to the point and PK to a forward position or Vanek to the other point with PK still on the point or move Vanek to where Cammy used to wait for the cross ice passes )which in my opinion would be the solution). Doing the 3rd option would open up the players on the point for more and less blockable shots.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• RockinRey says:

If teams take away PK do the reverse and let Markov unload.

And I said it further down PK has to use is dipsy doodling a little more efficiently. He does all this spinning and dangling but has nothing left when it comes time to dish. Make proper use of your energy…..

• joewindsor habfan says:

I agree with your 3rd option it will create more opportunities and possibly a higher success rate.

52. Danno says:

Will we see the Great Wall of Latvia tonight?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

53. JUST ME says:

I have absolutely zero doubt that Carey will rise to the occasion and something tells me that number 67 would also like to see his name invoved in the direct successes of the squad. Now is the time Max!

Let`s get this one. It`s in our reach ,we are better than the Bolts and can take a serious option on that round. This is the key game in my book .

54. habs001 says:

While Tampa did some hitting but the Habs would have been much more bruised up if they played any of the other playoff teams…

55. Hobie says:

In playoffs past there has been such turmoil in front of Price that you couldn’t completely fault him. There were some soft goals that he should have stopped but overall the team just sucked in front of him, causing his confidence to just completely drop.

The one year the club had some success in the playoffs, Price was still young as hell, had an up and down year, and lost his starting job. Halak came in and played the best stretch of hockey he ever has and probably ever will. The defence that year also rounded into from quite nicely.

Like I said, last year in the playoffs was a complete joke. it was a circus in front of Price. He played well and lost to Boston in game 7 a few years ago. Boston went on and won the cup, made it back to the finals and has been one of the best teams in the NHL the last three years.

In the first playoff game this year, Price was a tad shaky, but some of those goals were ridiculous again. A spin-around slap shot right in the slot, Stamkos tap in…

Price is now mature, the team in front of him is better and he has looked very good this season. There hasn’t been more than a game or two where Price has looked shaky all season. He won an Olympic gold medal and posted like a .950% save percentage in the process.

I think we can forget about game one of this series. The Habs will eliminate a few of those crazy, wide open scoring chances and Price will be locked in. If not, Price is now old enough, has enough experience and the team is healthy enough for him to be fairly criticized.

• habs001 says:

Price will be fine..he has to come up big in key situations…sometimes one period can change a series..Last year vs Ottawa the game one 3rd period meltdown changed the series…After winning 2 games in Boston the two home game performances were below par…

• Mr. Biter says:

Agree with you and that’s why I thought Murray would be in tonight to help alieve the jam’s in front of the net especially on the PP. He’s the best Hab D-man for clearing the front of the crease so Price can see shots coming.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• frontenac1 says:

I agree Biter. Just look how many times Price taps Murray on the shins to thank him after he clears his kitchen. Carey has a much different opinion of Crankshaft than many posters here. Saludos!

56. habs001 says:

Habs may be shorthanded 4-6 times this game…the pk has been good but Tampa looked dangerous on their pp but hopefully the shorthanded goal makes them a bit tenative..Would be nice to get the first goal….This is a series the Habs should win…Tampa has too many inexperienced players…Is there another team in the playoffs that you would rather play than Tampa?

57. Al Burtlap says:

Sweet fancy Moses! and this is why I love the internet!

58. joewindsor habfan says:

Folks Timo’s not too far off in regards to the Habs ‘D’, they could use a little mobility and physicality. Insert a Tinordi or maybe Beaulieu and that can offset Tampa’s speed. Weaver and Boullion are capable stay at home defencemen but unfortunately in the first game they looked like a couple of pylons standing on the side of the road. The Canadiens forward lines were very effective applying constant pressure on Tampa’s defence and as long as they do there due diligence by coming back and tying up Tampa’s trailing forwards it should be a victory for the Habs. I just think that the speed of Tampa’s forwards creates a great deal of havoc for the likes of Weaver, Boullion and Murray. They’re more suited for a Boston or Philly series where there’s a lot mucking up during and after the whistle.

59. RockinRey says:

One of the things we have to be impressed with is a little more balance in the scoresheet. 11 habs picked up a point the other night. Everyone contributed significant minutes.

For tonight I would like to see Price locked in a little more like he was in OT.

It is worth noting that a few posters sensed he was a little nervous from the get go.

Another thing I would like to see is Subban simplify his game. Focus on playing smart defensively and pick his spots better and not always be so cute. The spinoramas are impressive though I often feel at the end of the dipsy doodling he has nothing left and more often than not gets knocked off the puck or does not make a high percentage play.

His Cannon can be alternated with just trying to get the puck to the net.

Habs 4-1 tonight!!

60. Al Burtlap says:

Good morning Hab fans,

Three things:

1)Here’s hoping MTL takes the game to them again – dictate the pace and head home up 2-0
    2)The Barbie’s Resto Bar Grill jingle on RDS is the single greatest jingle in the last twenty years(and the anglo version at the end made me howl…)

3)Thanks to those of you staying excellent to each other,we’re stronger together, variety is the spice of life and all that eh?

Go Habs!

61. HankHardball says:

Bad news for the Charasites…

The President’s Cup winner has won the Stanley Cup only twice in the last 10 seasons.

Could the upset be Wings over Beantown?

62. zephyr says:

tb shouldn’t have even been in the last game with only 16 reg sog. if we get some decent goaltending tonite, we’ll win.
    someone tell price to go screw his nerves & stop the puck.
    fingers crossed so the refs don’t job us like they did vs. Ottawa last yr..

63. BJ says:

Anyone ever have the thought that Timo is actually Boone using an alias to incite?

64. WindsorHab-10 says:

No matter who’s in net for Tampa I would love to see shots directed at the net from every possible angle. Good things happen when you shoot. Team should be much looser tonight but should still go all out and grab a 2-0 series lead. That would be awesome.

• BJ says:

I agree with the shots from anywhere but you need bodies close in to deflect or go for the rebounds.

• Hobie says:

Teams might be looser in mood but the game itself should be much tighter. There should be much less turnovers and wide open chances. IMO.

I’d like to see the Habs play a strong defensive game in front of Price. I don’t care if they allow a lot of shots, just cut down on the point blank shots in prime scoring areas, 2 on 1 and breakaways.

65. krob1000 says:

Habs playoff preview montages I just found with my little guy …

66. Hobie says:

We all know the Bruins have the worst commentator in professional sports, Jack Edwards. I just heard a guy who covers the Avalanche go beyond crazy when Colorado scored, you hear the same crap in baseball for the Yankees and White Socks.

How can anyone in those cities listen to that crap? It’s terrible! It’s fine for the announcer to get a bit more excited when his team scores but to be blatantly biased and even go as far to insult the other team is unacceptable, IMO. It’s such trash, I would never listen to that and would be embarrassed if I were a fan of those teams.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but if I had a couple beers in me and saw Jack Edwards walking the halls at the Centre Bell, saw that no security was around, I’d give him a quick uppercut to the chin.

• PrimeTime says:

It’s now considered acceptable to be biased towards your home team and tell your audience what they want to hear. There is no neutrality anymore.

• Mad Habber says:

Great but the NHL/Bell sell tv coverage of out of market games. Not everyone is form the home networks coverage area nor do we want to be trolled by an idiotic commentary when watching. NESN is the worst, but there are some other commentators that are really biased. I find it is usually the colour guys that are the worst. It isn’t just the U.S. guys either, Ottawa’s play by play is probably one of the worst, as is Joe Bowen. I can’t stand listening to those idiots and I only moderately watch the games they general do.

In my opinion Carolina’s seem to be some of the better unbiased coverage.

• BJ says:

Make sure you’re wearing a Bruins jersey.

67. All I wanted them to do last game was get pucks to the net, thank you, that’s how you win games no matter what skill level. Great Job Turk! :lol:

Not going to predict anything, just going to enjoy the day and hang out with the family.

But yeah I’m a little excited :)

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

68. Rad says:

Much tougher game tonight. I have to give the edge to Tampa. They will be playing for their lives, and Habs will be somewhat complacent after winning Game 1.

• Timo says:

Habs should not be complacent, if they know anything about anything. That was not an comforting win and much is to be desired, especially as far as D (except for Bouillon, of course) and goaltending are concerned. Looking for better games from Price and Emelin and Turtleneck boy.

I hope Francis Bouillon didn’t practice.

a) he is so awesome he doesn’t need to
    b) he needs to be well rested to play another 60 minutes.

70. habs001 says:

Habs should win this game ..may be low scoring..unless the pp works

71. Slackman says:

+100. Thanks for saying what had to be said.

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

72. RockinRey says:

Sensitive are we? He is free to write what he wants. Negative or positive

73. Adidess says:

Unless you’re new here, Black Horse, you should not bother with it. Timo has been doing this for years.

It feels weird when Timo says something positive about the team. I don’t know if we expect Timo to change, he would have to change his name to be accepted :)

Go Team CHanada!

74. olematelot says:

Be like me, don’t read his posts.

75. ont fan says:

Getting the attention he needs. Boring as it may be.

76. RockinRey says:

So what? taking the bait. Post something intelligent if you have something to say to create some balance to what he says!!!

77. zephyr says:

he was good in ot. it shouldn’t have gotten that far tho. looking for a better game 2nite.

He’ll be sharper and hopefully we don’t commit major gaffes resulting in such good scoring chances either.

6 and a half hours to go, come on clock getta movin’!

79. RockinRey says:

It does not have to be a howitzer. The Habs whole pp has been predictable. Why not have Briere off the Half wall, or VAnek . Or the back door play.

The Habs have completely lost any creativity. If they take away Subban open up Markov. He has a pretty nice shot and it often finds the target whereas PK lets the bomb loose and it misses the net.

80. Mr. Biter says:

Miss the day’s of Cammy’s one timers on the PP from the opposite face off circle. On the stick and in.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

81. Clay says:

Black Horse is far from new – his account has had more name changes than you can shake a stick at.
    Right, Priceberg? Or Dean Dally. Or…….

__________________________

82. RockinRey says:

They have guys like Briere and Vanek and Patches that they can look for. I think the Habs should be looking to see what the other teams give. Dont allow them to Key on the points . If they cheat DD can seek out VAnek or Patches or Briere. Even Pleky.

83. Mr. Biter says:

Agree with you RockinRey. To bad MT hasn’t figured it out as we have. Have a good one.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

84. RockinRey says:

Shows you he was not thinking and in the playoffs guys go haywire

85. zoomzip says:

Point is, if Price goes, so do the playoffs. He needs to be in top form. And PP has been crap for a long while,not just last game. Ugly wins are fine but only the cream will rise to the top.

86. RockinRey says:

I wish that was an option

87. Mr. Biter says:

Now that funny. Just don’t tell her that her sister also likes it that way. Beer & ashtray will be flying all around. Likely hospital visit to follow.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

88. JUST ME says:

Come on guys ! Show a little tender loving care here ! After all there is a risk to spill the beer !

89. boing007 says:

Want to see Gudas flat on his ass. Over and over again.

Richard R