One to go

322809

The signing of Ryan White means the Canadiens have 20 players under contract for the 2011-’12 season and leaves Josh Gorges as the only unsigned RFA.

RDS is reporting White signed for $625,000, which seems low.

The team announcement:

Montreal Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier announced today the signing of forward Ryan White to a one-year contract (2011-12). As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
White, 23, completed in 2010-11 his second season with the Canadiens in the NHL. In 27 games, the centre registered five points (2 goals, 3 assists), including his first NHL goal on March 20 against the Wild at Minnesota. He served 38 penalty minutes, maintained a +5 plus/minus differential, obtained 70 hits and 30 shots on goal, while averaging 8:55 seconds of ice time per game.
White totalled 12 points (3 goals, 9 assists) in 33 games with the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs during the 2010-11 regular season. One of his goals was tallied on the power play. He collected 61 shots on goal and served 77 penalty minutes. Since 2009-10, White has registered seven points (2 goals, 5 assists) in 43 NHL regular-season games. The 6’00’’, 198 lbs forward has recorded 54 penalty minutes and collected 35 shots on goal.
A native of Brandon, Manitoba, White was the Canadiens’ fourth pick (third round, 66th overall) at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

White’s Gordie Howe hat trick:

And his set-to with Johnny Boychuk, who had tried to low-bridge P.K. Subban:

1. Bedbugsquin says:

Cool…pic..really…memorable moment…

Bed Bug pictures

2. emann_222 says:

Who wouldn’t be thrilled with this signing? I mean seriously??? All this talent for a 4th line center at a mere $625K for the year!!! PG continues to impress.

This kid will be thrilled with a one way deal, will be ok with the cash knowing that he can get more next year if he keeps the peddle to the floor. And the fans are in for a sweet ride.

For more of my thoughts on the signing of Ryan White, please visit this post (http://www.allhabs.net/?p=14570) and leave your comments!

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.wordpress.com and http://www.allhabs.net

3. BONZOHABS says:

Every team needs a guy like Ryan White to be successful and WIN! He adds grit, and lots of it. Hard work ethic and a nose for the dirty areas on the ice. Love this signing and I hope Gorges is next! Go Habs Go!

4. bwoar says:

BRANDON REPRESENT

This team needs more Manitobans.

5. V says:

See some still wanting to give Kovalev a look. That ship sailed for me. His own level of play aside, I don’t think he fits this team and their style of play at all anymore.

Good to see White back. Not surprised and he’s another guy that should get a bit better.

6. BeeGee says:

Interesting article on useful tough guys…

To be honest I really find Olympic style hockey to be the most enjoyable kind. Hockey will always be a tough physical game but it gains nothing with all the gooning IMO.

But for now, I still would like to see PG adress the issue as it still is very much apart of the NHL game.

• pat s says:

well on this one, I agree with Gauthier–this was a good signing–Imlike ryan white–he plays with heart and he is not scared to mix it up–my type of player

in regrds to olympic style hockey–keep in mind that they only play a few games, than the medal rd —if they played 82 games, it wouldn’t be like that and those games would be boring–no hitting, no anomosity, no fighting, in other words boring hockey

• bwoar says:

Why would 82 games of Olympic hockey be boring? That was the best hockey I’ve seen in forever. 1000x better than this past years’ playoffs.

• pat s says:

b/c they would not play like that for 82 games–sure olympic is exciting b/c it is a very short tournamnet–its a tournamnet for crying out loud–82 games no hitting or fighting–no thanks i’ll watch criminalminds or NCIS instead

• olematelot says:

“No hitting”!!! what Olympic hockey were you watching

• pat s says:

olematelot–maybe usa vs canada had hitting but what other teams hit–russia/sweeden–are you kidding me–now i know why the habs have this play nice hockey system, b/c if you think the olympics is physical you must think the habs have a goon team–

7. Marc10 says:

Love White. Not a heavy weight, but he’s willing.

Too bad Marchand will never fight him… I’d love to see that fight!

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
    Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

• Kooch7800 says:

I think they should have gave him a little more cash. He is a good 4th liner. Plays with energy every shift and can mix it up if needed. I like the fact he isn’t a meat head like Dan Carcillio or other and taking stupid penalties all the time.

Hopefully he gets a long term deal next year

• pat s says:

like i said i’m glad we signed ryan white–i like how he plays and he does deserve a chance to improve and be a valuable player for the habs–the only thing i question is ryan white better than konopka b/c we could have had a chance to get him

8. Gerry_j6j says:

I say give Kovalev a chance at 1 mil 1 year third line with kostisyn and eller

9. SeriousFan09 says:

White coming back rounds out the forwards at a full count of 12, PG now has to decide whether it is outside help or a Bulldog who makes it 13.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• Mike D says:

Do you have any picks for the 13th spot Serious?

I have a funny feeling PG will give it to Enqvist. He’s already 24 so it’s time to determine if he has what it takes to be an NHL player, or if he’s of the “career AHLer” mold.

- Honestly yours

10. durocher says:

The terms of [Shane] O’Brien’s contract are 1 year for $1.1 million.

Source: http://milehighsticking.com/2011/07/13/avalanche-becoming-a-team-of-yetis-sign-shane-obrien/

11. byrneoNL says:

This kid should be making 825,000. 625,000 is definately low. My guess is he wants a place on that fourth line in the great City of Montreal, and was basically willing to take whatever Gauthier offered.

I like this guy. He’s not a “goon” but he stands up for his team mates, and embraces his role as a fourth line role player. I’m glad we signed him. Hope he works on his game (two way) and brings it to camp.

12. Hobie Hansen says:

I could watch that fight where White laces Boychuk in the face with upper cuts all night.

White might not be a heavyweight but he knows how to fight.

13. habstrinifan says:

See Colorado signs my boy Shane O’Brien!

Guess PG is still dickering with Glen Metropolit’s agent and drooling over some Alex Kovalev’s YOUTUBE hilite reel.

• JayBee says:

Shane O’Brien is not a PG/JM kind of player.

• habstrinifan says:

Glen Metropolit is though. ‘Interchangeable spare part’ type of player.

The type JM thinks he works magic with.

Not too many coaches can make sure that night after night every player on his team looks like the other.

Sergie get to efff of the ice! Gillsy tell that icorrigble rookie no Spinorama.

What’s that you say P.K? Serge Savard’s coach did let him do the Savardian Spinorama? Then that coach didnt know how to teacch his ‘players to be professional’.

• Hobie Hansen says:

No way! He would have been a huge upgrade over Spacek or Weber. Was hoping we’d get him. Did he get a raise over his 1.6 last year?

• habstrinifan says:

Terms not released yet.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Bummer. I did hear he did like to party like a rock star and wasn’t 100% committed though.

And if you follow him on twitter he’s constantly talking about what club he’s hittin’ up next…

Could mean nothing but just an observation…

• HardHabits says:

In that case forget about him. Montreal would just chew him up and spit him out like a puppy with a worn out rag doll.

Signing White (and eventually Gorges) is no great surprise. The real question is when are we going to sign our 22nd player – a centre to give us the depth we need for the 4th line. Chris Drury come on down!

Poor Columbus can’t catch a break.

NHL Predictions: Ranking the Montreal Canadiens’ Forwards Going into Next Season

Not a bad article considering, and by that I mean considering it’s the Bleacher Report. I usually like about 1 in every 5 articles I read there as the site is mostly candy coated schlock. This is article is decent though, although I might be a bit biased in saying so given the subject matter, regardless of whether or not my POV deviates slightly from the author’s, but all in all IMO he makes a good assessment of the Habs forwards.

17. Icey Matt says:

More years !! I love White, sticks up for his teammates. Just need more size and he would be great.

Follow me on twitter – https://twitter.com/#!/IceyMCMatt -

18. G-Man says:

This very much reminds me of the Darche signing last season. Both head coach and manager saw a player willing to do the work necessary to make the team. Let’s face it, White and Darche aren’t there to score goals. They are there to work hard and be examples to the ones in Hamilton aspiring to be Habs. That White defends his teammates while playing the game with a lot of energy and presence is a reason why the one-way contract. I bet, if anything, he plays harder and better this season, earning him that 2-3 season contract in the $3 to $3.5 mil range.

19. Everlasting1 says:

Jonathan Cheechoo is the latest Bluenoter. Talk about left field. This guy a headcase?

——————————————————————-
    “God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment: “How long will you judge unjustly and show partiality to the wicked? Psalms 82:1-2

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• 24 Cups says:

More a case of Cheechoo not being able to skate that well.

St Louis tanks to get a bunch of kids over the past few years and then goes out and signs a bunch of old farts and rejects.

They better make the playoffs this year or there could be a revolt.

• Everlasting1 says:

We talkin’ Pouliot bad?
        Management/coaches must feel they needed some vets.
        The only revolt I see coming is for incompetent officiating/referees.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Mark C says:

No, Benny can skate pretty well, he just falls down a lot. Cheechoo is just plain s-l-o-w.

• Everlasting1 says:

Skates well, yet falls down a lot..um, k.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Mark C says:

Well, when he’s on his feet Benny can keep pace with game at the NHL level. Just because he falls down an inordinate amount doesn’t mean he’s a bad skater, overall Benny is a well above average skater.

Cheechoo is constantly behind the play due to his weak skating.

• Everlasting1 says:

That doesn’t make any sense to me. How can a good skater ‘fall an inordinate amount’ of times?

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

20. kevin m says:

How I long for these days again. Was at this game BTW.

21. punkster says:

Just have to apologize for the mistakes I made on the other thread. Sometimes you just have to step up and be held accountable for what was clearly a couple of childish, moronic and downright st00pid errors on my part. I’m a big enough man to admit when I’m wrong and take my medicine.

I referred to this as the “Bash Berkie Day” and mentioned tonight would be the “Berkie BBQ Beatdown”. Well, as was so eloquently pointed out to me, I was a week or so early. Andrew Berkshire doesn’t return until next week so I guess I’ll just have to hold off on my invective until then. But, boy oh boy, when he does return I hope you’ll all join me in giving that guy the kind of bashing and trashing he deserves.

In conclusion I would like to extend my apologies to one Brian Burke whose name apparently has caused all this confusion. Mr. Burke, rest assured we at HI/O respect you and all you’ve done to bri…wait…what? The Leafs? The Toronto Maple Leafs? That Burke?

Um…never mind….Burke sux!

***Subbang Baby!!!***

22. habsfansince91 says:

good signing. Would’ve preferred two years though.

23. thehabsfan29 says:

so much for getting o’brien….

signed with the avs

• longbow says:

Colorado now over the roster limit and probably still under the cap floor.Someone will have to go to make room for a bigger salary.
      Will he be paired up with O’Byrne ? The announcers are gonna love that.

“Wanting is often more pleasurable than having.It is not logical but it is often true.” – Spock

24. Gotta love White. The best thing about that scrap is he didn’t have to consult his “code” book before he went after Upchuck. That was very Souray-esque. Go after our one of our star players expect knuckles to start flying at your face.

• HardHabits says:

If you only saw the way Robinson went after Schultz in 1976. There’s a tape of Robinson and Schultz on YouTube but that is from another year. I’d love to find a copy of game 1 of the 1976 SCF’s.

• Bill J says:

Man, you’re reminding me of how badly I want him to be the defensive coach for the Habs.

Specially with all the young talent the Habs have…

• ZepFan2 says:

In that video, during a break in the melee, Robinson skates over to the glass. Some fan hands him his beer and Robinson takes a swig.

F-ckin hilarious.

I also like when Robinson starts pointing at the Flyers players to let them know they’re next.

———————————————————————-
        Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• HabFab says:

HH.If my memory is correct, Schultz fought 3 Habs that game. Well, if you count Risebourgh on your back trying to hang on for dear life as a fight.

• longbow says:

The best Robinson vs Schultz fight was mid season,1975 – 76. Sunday afternoon in Montreal. Live across the US on NBC. The Flyers were never the same after that.

• otter649 says:

It was the exhibition game that season where Montreal beat up The Flyers on home ice & The Flyers were never the same after that……

• HardHabits says:

For a great read, The Game by Ken Dryden, the parts where he talks about Robinson. Amazing stuff.

When Serge Savard left back in the day I was hoping that Robinson would’ve been named captain.

• harpman says:

Bill Clement acknowledged that….also an exhibition game with a play off atmosphere. The good old days!!

• Neutral says:

would love to have the 1976 team in montreal right now, Boston wouldn’t be winning stanley cups or any other team. they had everything….

• Viruk42 says:

While we’re making wishes, how about a combination between the 1976 and 1956 teams? Imagine a defense of Harvey, Robinson, Savard, Johnson, Lapointe and some guy who never actually got to play. Imagine having Lafleur, Shutt, Gainey, and Cournoyer alongside the Richards, Beliveau, Boom Boom, and Dickie Moore? Imagine a goaltending duo of Plante and Dryden?

…hmm, I don’t think we could fit them all under the salary cap.

25. solomio says:

Mike 600 grand is low? Most of us will have to work at least 10 years to make that. That is a lot of money to make in one year…no matter what you do.

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

• Mattyleg says:

…uhh… we’re talking about the NHL.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bill J says:

Uhhh. Not for a young player with White’s talents. Not taking anything from him, but he’s well paid for what he does, at this point in his career. He will get better money with time.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Uhhh. That’s not his point

• Bill J says:

Uhhh, it was Mike Boone’s point up above, which sparked the original post by solomio and the subsequent replies….

• Trisomy 21 says:

No Bill, I don’t know why i have to ague with you on this. Solomio’s comment is stupid cause even a bench warmer is fortunate compared to a a 9-5er. Hence the comment ‘we’re talking about the NHL’ so of course any wage will be nothing for any of us to complain about being too low. Seeing lots of dollars is the norm.

Basically looks as though matty was saying ‘no shit’ and you created a strawman fallacy. My original reply wasn’t addressing Solomio, it was addressing your reply to matty, which like I said, you’ve misinterpreted.

If you need to see his comment in a similar context to prove my interpretation, look below. He’s not saying White is underpaid.

• Don’t bother, Bill isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed. Pretty soon he’ll be threatening to punch you in the face for disagreeing with him.

A few more Ryan White’s please.

27. Hobie Hansen says:

White is AWESOME. His buddy Travis Moen ain’t too bad either!

Gauthier should add one more 6’3″ 230lbs version of White or Moen and this team is set!

We don’t have enough guys like White and Moen and that’s a fact!

Peace!

28. Neutral says:

$1 m a year to play 10-minutes a game, not bad money more than any local guy makes in a year for working 8 hrs a day…

• Mattyleg says:

Once again, as I said above, it’s the NHL we’re talking about here.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Neutral says:

my apiology in regards to the money white will receive. I heard $1 mil somewhere I see it’s $625,000 that’s not too much for the work he does and as far as points don’t expect too many as he only gets around 10 minutes a game so I think if they want to keep him he’s well worth it, he’s a hard worker…

29. twilighthours says:

Pet peeve: the use of the phrase “low-bridge”

If I ran into a low bridge, I imagine I might get my head taken off, and not tripped at the ankles.

30. gatorhabs says:

I remember those two games well. I hope to see at least a couple of Gordies a year from White.

Makes me think… all those jokes posted yesterday clearly sent a message to Habs management to get this deal done.

Now what do we need to post to get Gorges signed?… Poetry? Haikus?

31. Wow, can you believe Jacques Martin coached this game?

32. jo_maka says:

Wish him the best. The kid is a warrior……..and speaks crazy quite fluently.

A keeper :)

_________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

33. Mattyleg says:

That’s great. Love the kid.
    I also love how his hair doesn’t get sweaty, so it’s always blowing around like a shampoo commercial.

…or is that weird…?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

34. Thenumber11 says:

I totally forgot how well white handled boychuk. Love the guy and AK-Eller-White is a line I want to see tried out at some point. 3 guys who all hit, or at least play physical, and I think White wont slow them down offensively.

35. Top Corner says:

Love this kid !!! Glad he’s staying….he can throw ‘em !!!

36. HabFab says:

Mike, his salary is low as he got a one way deal. So he makes the same here or in Hamilton.
    Absolutely love the Boychuk fight! That is what team is all about.

37. habrez says:

Great video of throwing down for the open ice hit attempt on PK by another dirty Bruin.

• savethepuck says:

The announcing really sucked tho

“That beautiful bastard scored semi-conscious.” On the Rocket’s Game 7 game winning goal against the Bruin’s April, 1952

• Jim Edson says:

Jack ( moron) Edwards, say no more!

That was one of his more objective moments!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Mohamar Ghadaffi or Gary Bettman.

38. MTLForever says:

Quite happy about this.

39. Haligonian-Hab says:

wish this was more than a 1 yr deal. Perfect young fourth liner. i’ll take a +5 over 27 game fourth liner anyday. Tough and proud.

• slamtherimtim says:

at that price they should have gone at least 2 , he would probaly have more confidence

• Rugger says:

Why would he want to sign for more than one at this point in his career, assuming he stays up for the full year and shows a good deal of improvement (which I think he will), he should be able to get considerably more next year, maybe $1M-$1.2M.

• secretdragonfly says:

If I’m not mistaken, he’ll be RFA next year – he’ll have the whole season to prove himself. Very happy with this signing – next stop, Gorges-town.