Video: One-on-one with Habs coach Michel Therrien

Michel Therrien

Canadiens head coach Michel Therrien directs a training camp practice this week.
Allen McInnis/The Gazette

Canadiens head coach Michel Therrien was ready to launch into his second tour of duty behind the Habs bench four-plus months ago when a pesky lockout got in the way.

Now, he’s within sight of his team’s home opener. On Saturday, when the Canadiens play host to the Toronto Maple Leafs, Therrien will coach his 500th NHL game, his 1,001st in pro hockey. And don’t think he’s not aware of the expectations being heaped on a team that colossally underachieved last season, finishing dead last in the Eastern Conference.

Wednesday afternoon, looking and sounding as tired as you’d expect two-thirds of the way through training camp with a frantic week of preparation before it, Therrien sat for 45 minutes with The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs for a one-on-one chat in his Bell Sports Complex office to discuss the lockout past, the 2013 season, Alex Galchenyuk, Tomas Plekanec, P.K. Subban, the heavy schedule, a new culture on the Canadiens and much more.

The interview is here in four parts of video. Or, if you’d prefer, read the edited transcript here.

1. ZepFan2 says:

:mad:

Just testing

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

“Bring it back home to me baby”

Bring it on Home

2. Loonie says:

If money is the issue with Subban, and you need a proven commodity in return it presumably must come with a reasonable cap hit.

When you trade a player like Subban, you can spend decades looking for a replacement.

Yakupov, Benn and other suggestions don’t cut it for different reasons. Good luck replacing this player if you truly are considering moving him Mr. Bergevin.

If we play our 1st game Saturday night without PK as a member of the club, then I expect he is not in Marc Bergevin’s plans for the future at the money Meehan is asking.

The phone lines out to other clubs inquiring about a move for him are now real I’m afraid.

I am a big fan of PK, but he is still developing on a dead last place team, so the big money should not be paid to him just yet.

I am firmly in Bergevins corner on this move! to not give away the store until the product has arrived.
    Ian

• Kooch7800 says:

Ian….you are a smart man but I hope you are wrong on this one….but my gut feel is that you may be right

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Cal says:

100% Ian. I want PK on the team. Now, we’re all getting a sinking feeling.
      The Habs need a 5 game win streak out of the box to make PK feel he should be with the team and not missing out.
      Then again, a 5 game losing streak ups his demands. ;)

• Mustang says:

Ian, I have said all along that I want to see P.K. as part of the Habs team, but not at any price. It would be very interesting to know where the two sides stand and if they are getting any closer. P.K. is (eventually) going to earn far more than he will ever be able to spend in his life time so I really don’t understand why they can’t get this done.

• Rad says:

Yes, I suspect Bergevin is now listening to offers. And perhaps that is not such a bad thing, after all. The best-case scenario would be something like Subban for Yakupov. Daryl Katz is willing to spend the money.

• Loonie says:

If he can’t get the money. I think it’s fair to scrutinize why others were given extensions.

• Timo says:

Maybe, just maybe this is one of the reasons Habs are and have been in the bottom of the league for most of the past 2 decades. Wasting money on “proven” talent like Gomez while getting all $$$ conscientious about good young players that come through this organization once in a while.

I am not in Bergevin’s corner on this one. Markov will not last the whole season and even if he does, he is not Markov of old. PK is the ONLY good dman we’ve got. Unless, of course, Bergevin has subscribed to HH’s tank movement.

4. commandant says:

A look at this year’s Calder Trophy race, including my picks for the top 20 contenders.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• VJ says:

Good stuff as always. I agree with most of your picks, although I would have Tarasenko higher. That guy is an absolute tank . I think given the chance (and I’m sure he’ll get it), he’ll move past Chris Stewart on the depth chart and rack up some points.

5. nunacanadien says:

Man, Gomez made the CNN and world news, apparently there are many teams including the KHL who are just chasing after Gomez who it turns out was really a superstar after all. In fact all of Gilette’s/Gauthiers and Molson/Gauthier signings were golden, and now Bergevin it seems has found the solution…who would have thought we had the right combination after all? As if.

It’s sad when we rely on Plekanec who while he is good in short spurts cannot be relied on in the same way as Bourques, both have excellent personal one on one skills but this is a team.

We need a high scoring forward and the Penguins have finally seen the light, they’ve decided to trade Crosby in return for Gomez….yes Crosby for Gomez cause the habs are never wrong. They don’t sign bad contracts, it is us fans who are wrong…..

If only that was the real world, in reality, Geoff Molson refuses to make this into a real hockey team.

6. Habfan10912 says:

OK fellow hand wringers. Listened to Tony M this morning (only because he had Derek Wills on) and one of the issues discussed was Louie L. Derek had no knowledge of the junk that that radio station had reported about Louie being abused by coaching staff but was baffled just the same by the drop off in his play. He said even before the injury he was not the same player but believes its the injury that is know hampering his play. He also said he thinks Louie now lacks confidence.
    On the plus side Derek raved about Tinordi. Feels he’s the closest of the Dman to make the jump.

———————————–

7. Gerry H says:

Wouldn’t you know it. Shanghaied into a fiftieth birthday party for Saturday night at a comedy club.

I am PVRing the game and turning off my cell phone.

8. shiram says:

The way these contract negotiations are going with Subban, I’m hoping for a long deal, 7 or 8 years, just so we don’t have to go through this again!

• Habfan10912 says:

I really hope that’s the case shiram. I am a huge PK fan and I’m so disappointed he’s not in the fold yet. Kind of puts a damper on the opener for me.

———————————–

Pernell Karl was a Hab
    Yes a big Hab
    But his ego’s bigger
    Than the contract’s figures that he dreams

Pernell Karl was a Hab
    Yes a big Hab
    And he fought for a contract that was
    Part of his agent Meehan’s schemes

From the afro cap on the top of Subban
    What a heel if a deal he won’t do;
    Not the rippin’est, scorin’est, fightin’est Hab
    That the fans at the Bell Centre knew

Pernell Karl was a Hab
    Yes a big Hab
    Pucks he scoops and he faulters
    Yet the fans in the nosebleeds cream their jeans

Pernell Karl was a Hab
    Yes a big Hab
    So don’t cry me a river
    If by July you’re still missin’ on the team!

10. Habfan10912 says:

Dreger reporting that the Leafs putting Tim Connolly on waivers today.

———————————–

11. alfieturcotte says:

In a shortened season, what does a team need most? Simple answer — it’s MVP. Who is more important to the team than PK – nobody…..not Cole, not Pleks, not DD, nor Markov and certainly NOT Price. That GM MB wrongly assumed Price to be our MVP and went as far as call him a thoroughbred (Gaineyism) prior to negotiating an absurd contract shortly after being hired
    coninues to have me scratching my greyish head. He should have expended that energy for PK. I am also not pleased with Therrien’s attitude towards PK. I am afraid MB and Therrien will wind up chasing him out of Montreal blaming him for not being a good citizen (I believe there is a whiff of racism in the air)…What a shame – let him be, let him go – he is the best player to play in Montreal since Guy Damien Lafleur and he is a winner….

• bleedhabs81 says:

“and certainly NOT Price”

Wow, I may have only watched 74 or 78 games last year, but I felt that without Price this team had absolutely no reason to even put skates on and compete most nights.

I am not arguing against PK being one of their best players and arguably their MVP last year, but why do you call out Price like that?

I think Price did a commendable job with the all lumps in front of him. At one point last year, I thought they painted a bunch of pylons in bleu, blanc, et rouge. Certainly, Price was the reason they were not destroyed every night.

Forget the numbers, just watch the games.

Edit* I just finished reading your post and the validity of anything you said just went out the window with the speculation MB and MT are racist

• K-hab25 says:

You’re waisting your time, he’s a Price hater from way back.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I typed the response out after I read the “Not Price” comment.

Had i finished reading I would have just ignored him. People that want speculate that others are racist with absolutely no proof are not people I want to debate with.

Although I hear he might be an anti-semite and hate puppies, i suspect (but have absolutely no proof). See, it is not very nice to label people like that is it?

• alfieturcotte says:

Open those blinders….racism in hockey exists and sadly, probably more so than in other professional environments. Had PK not been afro american, people would be less pertubed by his “flamboyance”, in fact, they might embrace it. I hope I am wrong, but …….

• alfieturcotte says:

p.s. I am not sure what 74 games you watched, but I watched all of the habs games in 2012, and Price was generally just average. Certainly not anywhere near the kind of money they threw at him.

If only we still had the real Alfie Turcotte on the team, then we would be fine.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Some nights he was average, some nights were rough, most nights he was facing numerous shots from dangerous areas and keeping the game close.

Sure, his numbers were not the best, but I suspect if you took quality of shots vs number of shots, you would find out he was one of the better goalies in the league despite his lower save percentage.

Is there a place to look up this kind of stat?

Also, racism is still around, but you don’t call someone racist because your pissy because your man crush is not signed to a contract. Just like I don’t say your a criminal or a sexual deviant without having some proof of it. It is slander and it is wrong.

I am not wearing blinders. I just don’t cast stones without cause.

• reddog24 says:

He has been listening to the Sportsnet staff and other supporters building his ego up, so between him and his agent they are shooting for the moon. I would not call it greed but close. He should prove himself more both on and off ice and take a reasonable lower salary and shorter term now, then aim for the top when he has proven to himself, team, and fans that he indeed is worthy of a huge long term deal. Many stars have waited to prove their point in the past.

• mrhabby says:

whatever alfie.

12. pottymonster says:

another post regarding PK because it hasn’t already been discussed to death:

for the people who want to sign him to a bridge contract, say he signs 2 years at 2.5 and 3 mil which i think is what most people who want him to sign the bridge want him to sign for. in two years when that deal is up and he’s 25 years old, what kind of player do you expect him to be?

there are three options:
    a) he’ll be better than he is now.
    b) he’ll be the same player he is now.
    c) he’ll be a worse player than he is now.

a) if you believe he’s going to be better than he is now, then why not just skip the bridge and lock him up for 8 years at something like 5.5 to 6.5 per year? if he does get better in the next two years, when it comes time to sign him long term he isn’t going to be asking for 5.5 to 6.5. he’s going to be looking for the huge money. 7.5-8.5 for max years. the habs would be unlikely to sign him for that much so we’d basically be in the same situation we are now. if he isn’t willing to accept a discount now, he won’t be willing to accept it then.

b) in this case his value will never be higher then it is now, why not try to move him?

c) same as b.

basically, the only thing that makes sense is to sign him long term now. maybe he’s looking for the 7.5 mil contract now, i dont know. if he is, then maybe he’s asking a bit much. but if he’s asking what i think he would be, which is the 5-6.5 contract, then it should be a no brainer no matter what option you believe. just do the math:

pay him 5.5 mil for the next two years.
    pay him 60 mil for the 8 years after that.

or

pay him 48 mil for the next 8 years.

sounds to me like there should be no place for bridge deal. either its give him the money and term or ship him out. since i believe option a, i say give him the 48 mil now and get it over with.

• Loonie says:

I’m displeased that his signing has taken this long but will be livid if he gets $6.5 million on this contract.

He should fit somewhere in between Gorges’ and Markov’s salary.

If you split the difference it’s right around $4.75 million and I think just about everyone here can live with that. Question is, can Subban and Bergevin.

• pottymonster says:

you’re looking at the player he is RIGHT NOW. when you sign the guy to a contract, you need to evaluate where he’ll be later too. it a, b, or c.

currently, he’s better than both gorges and markov in terms of ability and importance to the team, so why should he be in between them?

• Loonie says:

I’m looking at the player he is now and the player he should become. $5 million is an overpayment on what he is now.

$6.5 million on his second contract is unrealistic and far too much.

You’re talking to somebody on Subban’s side of this by the way.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree. Plus long term deals are risky for an organization so early in a D man’s career. To give them anything over 5 long term now seems like quite a risk. I like PK but there are holes in his game that need to be worked on.

• pottymonster says:

hey loonie, yeah im not attacking you. i know you’re on the right side :P

its just an example. id be prepared to go up to 6.5 in 8 year contract, in the last few years. but yeah, he probably ought to start closer to 4.5 this year and then grow up to the 6.5.

but still, it’s a case where you have to look at what he’s going to ask for after the hypothetical two year deal is over. he’s going to ask for even more than he’d be asking for now long term, so i’d pretty much be willing to give him the house if he wanted it. carey priceish money wouldnt kill me. we already got max on a huge discount.

• BJ says:

He might make Mike Richards look like a genius if he doesn’t sign soon. And if he doesn’t sign real soon, option B sounds like an option. Let him take his dog and pony show to LA for Kopitar or whoever and wherever for someone of his value. For me the biggest issue is attitude not talent.

• Cal says:

2 years at up to $5mill per season would be just right.

• Mustang says:

I have tried to look at this from the big picture point-of-view. I agree that P.K. is a very important part of this team and I also think that he will get even better than he is right now. The problem is treating his case as an isolated situation rather than how it fits in to the overall team business strategy. Whatever is worked out for P.K. will have a direct effect on the rest of the team. With a reduced cap next year, the more that goes to him, the less there is for other players. In other words, how does his contract effect the budget for the rest of the team during the term of his contract.

When I watched and read the MT interview, I knew the PK comments would strike a chord with some here. I actually had zero issue with it and liked his answers.

My question is this, Why would MT have an axe to grind with one of the best players on the Habs current roster. A player whose value to his position is so vital to the teams short and long term success.

If indeed he has an issue, is it possible that MT may just know some things which we outside fans don’t?

I don’t think there is an axe to grind, but I wouldn’t be surprised to hear there are a few things which could be improved upon. This doesn’t have to be life altering changes, these can be very small issues.

It makes no sense for MT as a professional coach, to start his career again in Montreal with an axe to grind against arguably the teams 2nd or1st best player. Hate on Therrien all you or we want, but he does want to be successful, he didn’t accept this job hoping to be fired shortly. To me it is ludicrous for him to start with a grudge etc… He is talking to all the other players, and did people listen to when Gio and Gorges were asked about PK?

• shiram says:

For now all we can is speculate.
      Hopefully PK signs soon and we can all analyze every time MT sends PK on the ice… First worry is signing the young guy.

• Kooch7800 says:

It is that PK lightening rod thing. With PK not signed people are looking for any information they can use in their arguments pro or con as we are not getting any information from his agent or the organization other than that they are talking. I am sure the Canadiens organization and MT are more than well aware of how important PK is to the team long term.

He will get signed but I don’t expect him to be playing for the next couple weeks until a deal is done. The habs and PK need to work out a good deal and hopefully that happens sooner rather than later.

Either way we get to watch hockey on Saturday!

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• TommyB says:

For many of the fans who frequent this site, if they had nothing to complain about then they would have no reason at all to come here. I learned that long ago on “Habs” Inside/Out.

Therrien’s answer regarding PK was perfect. He has to deal with, and concentrate, on what he does have, not what he doesn’t have, in this so-called camp.

I liked Therrien’s answers to all questions put to him. If the players come in and give him a chance to prove himself, I think we could have a decent year. He stresses “work” and “team”. That’s what I like. I had the feeling there was a country club atmosphere around the Bell Centre for the last few years. Maybe we do have the people in place to change that. With PK, or without PK.

• Loonie says:

I don’t disagree with the desired mentality or team philosophy. Problem with Therrien in the past is that it’s become about him more so than the team. Time will tell if that’s changed.

• TommyB says:

I’m prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. I was never a fan of MT, but like you say time will tell. He’s saying all the right things right now.

• K-hab25 says:

I agree 100%!! I liked all his answers aswell and especially liked how he stressed hard work and team play. If PIT can lose the best player in the world and continue to play at high level, we can play without PK and still improve as a team. Which is the important thing, the team, not whether or not PK is rich, or really, really rich.

• New says:

Hockey is a team game. Therrien’s job is to prepare the team. You might as well ask him which player the Habs should draft in 2014. It isn’t his job to know or to care. His job is to put the right guy in the right spot at the right time so the team succeeds and Therrien becomes a success. He isn’t about to shoot himself in the foot.

14. Mattyleg says:

Alright, so I know that hockey’s back and all, but has this felt like THE LONGEST GODDAMN WEEK IN HISTORY to anyone else on here?

Must be the anticipation.

But still, dammit…!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

15. Ozmodiar says:

The most interesting part of the MT interview, to me, was when the question was asked regarding PK. MT seemed to become agitated and defensive at that point and for the few minutes afterwards. Notice the crossed arms in the last video? That’s the PK effect. :)

• Luke says:

Probably because he’s sick and tired of being asked the same question, everyday, by 30 reporters, in both official languages.

• New says:

Well how would you react if you were asked to drop everything and do an interview about your job and your changes, all the while knowing that a slow start would result in a miserable year and likely termination. So you drop everything in an already shortened work schedule and the guy starts asking you about some other department. Would you smile and begin discussing the GMs job, providing more fodder for AC (this is so ironic), or just get frustrated and try and drag the interview back onto the schedule?

16. shiram says:

That was interesting interview with Therrien, I liked what he had to say, seems a bit more open than Martin was. He does not sound very enthused about PK though, well not enthused might not be the best word, but there’s something there.

Words are nice but the proof of his skills will be displayed on the ice!

• ed lopaz says:

he’s not a subban fan that”s obvious

• shiram says:

Well I would not want a coach to be a fan of a player… like JM with Darche!
        He seems to love his vet like JM though.

• K-hab25 says:

Actually I agree with you Ed and was surprised The PK Krew weren’t throwing huge fits over this interview. It’s clear he see’s PK as immature and not a team player, much how I see him aswell. I also think with proper coaching, help from the veterans and just plain aging he can fix those issues. PK, to me, is a better defender on the road, than at home. On the road he seems calm, focused and makes the best play for the team. At home on the otherhand, he seems to suffer from Kovalev-itus. He seems to hyped, less focused and tries to make the play that will excite the fans, even if it’s selfish and foolish.

• ed lopaz says:

I don’t think he’s immature, selfish or foolish.

I saw Larry Robinson break in to the NHL and Chelios as well. I don’t see any more mistakes from Subban then I saw from these Hall of Famers.

playing defence in the NHL for 25 minutes a night is quite a difficult challenge.

Subban is way ahead of the curve, and we’re lucky to have him.

And no one called Robinson or Chelios selfish and foolish.

• K-hab25 says:

Well he is most definitely immature, like most players his age. Which is why when guys his age aren’t immature, people make big deal out of it. As far as being foolish or selfish, I didn’t mean he is that way all the time, I’m saying he has tendencies, especially at home, to make foolish or selfish plays.

17. RetroMikey says:

To the organization and press of our hockey team:
    UPLOAD THE PDF HABS MEDIA GUIDE WHEN IT COMES AVAILABLE ON THIS SITE OR THE CANADIENS NHL SITE.
    Other teams are doing it and I see no reason why we are so cheap to give something back to the fans, and no, I don’t want to spend $20 or more to purchase a hard copy of the guide which most clubs are going the internet route by supplying press notes for each game as well for fans.
    We fans deserve every right to have these documents as well, not just the media.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Luke says:

This one I’ll agree with you on! :)

I’m not sure why they’d try and hold it back. The world is changing, and it seems the NHL doesn’t want to get inline.

Infact, I updated the NHL Gamecentre App yesterday. One of the new features? They removed the live radio broadcasts from the free App so you have to buy the pay App to get the feed.

Now, I haven’t looked into it too much, but I’m guessing I can stream most of the broadcasts from the originating stations for free…

Odd that they’d change this,. Odd that they’d change it when apologizing to fans.

And Heck, I even get making video streaming part of the pay App, but the radio? weak. Mind you, video is probably PPV.

• RetroMikey says:

Luke,
        Sad to see that our once proud organization will swallow every penny you earn to put more money in the Molson;s pocket and to our players as well.
        It’s a white collar sport now.
        Throw the family night out to see a hockey game out the window if you want to see Montreal or Toronto play, I’ll go to Buffalo, it’s worth the drive to take the family and the wings are da best!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

18. K-hab25 says:

Is it me, or are the same people who want to give PK whatever he wants, the same people who put all the blame on the owners during the lockout. While those of us who want PK to take the “bridge” contract, thought they were both at fault. Seems this issue has less to do with PK and more about how we, as individuals, view things.

• geo_habsgo says:

I think that this PK contract whether it goes to a bridge contract or not, will be the hill most of us are prepared to die on. :)

• Habsrule1 says:

I want the Habs to give PK what he wants….or almost. I’d hate to see him get 7M, but I think I’d go up to 6M if they go long term. I also think PK would be smart to take 4M for 2 years and break the bank after that.

I didn’t blame one side much more than the other, but I had a worse taste in my mouth for the players. Hard to fathom players being anything but ecstatic for what they were and are getting to play hockey. Benoit Brunet said it well, saying that players only realize how lucky they were when they retire.

Go Habs Go!!

• K-hab25 says:

Ahh, see you show your true colors when you say PK would be smart to take the bridge contract. You’re one of us, just admit it. :-)

• Habsrule1 says:

Not sure what “one of us” is, but I want him on the team. I can’t see how anyone thinks this team can be better without PK. I’d sign him for 8 years at 5M per if he insisted on that, but I think that if he’s smart, he opts for short term to maximize his earning potential.

Go Habs Go!!

19. Mothstoflame says:

If the intra squad game wont be televised, I say Boone live blogs it =)

20. mdp2011 says:

This is why I love this place and have been coming here for years, I post something that was meant to be a joke, and this place erupts in a lively debate on scouting and GMs.

With regards to new Habs scout in Russia. When I look at the Habs website and the scouts currently listed, there is no specific scout mentioned for the region of RUssia. There is a scout listed for Finland and a scout listed for Europe Pros and Amateurs.

So I gather from this, they have added a scout to work exclusively on Russia. I would imagine it will be up to Timmins to look at the players this individual starts recomending to get an idea of what kind of eye for talent he has.

I still at the end of the day, feel this person essentially brings names to the table with a listing of strengths and weaknesses etc.. I may be naive but would think if one of these players is ranked high enough to be an early round pick that Timmins himself will be going to watch the player also and perhaps bring along another scout.

I just think this is another person added to try and mine some talent from later rounds who may otherwise go completely unnoticed.

Time will tell. And lest we forget Doug MacLean also thought Gilbert Brulet was can’t miss, he and Howsons role in listening or not listening to their scouts can’t be discounted.

No doubt though, given where the guy comes from it sets some alarms off. I guess end of day I have alot of faith in Timmins and believe this to be a move of his as opposed to that of MB.

22. commandant says:

Columbus drafted exactly 1 player out of Russia who is a bust… Filatov, and another Zherdev who was a decent NHLer but didn’t live up to expectations.

Filatov and Zherdev share the same problem…. they are both talented, but are also both headcases.

Unless we have Telepin’s scouting reports on them, we don’t know what they say. Do they give warnings about their attitude but rave about their skill and Howson drafted them anyway? Do they ignore the warning signs of their work ethic and attitude, or were they mentionned and the GM didn’t care?

Howson and Maclean also have to take some responsibility for the interviews with these prospects and not identifying flaws at that point.

Thats a question that none of us here can adequately answer.

I’m not letting Telepin off the hook here, but we really don’t know how responsible he is for the picks, unless we see the scouting reports.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Loonie says:

I think it’s fair to presume that their Russian scout had a lot of good things to say about the Russian players they drafted. He well could have been in the room pointing out the flaws, and that’s likely. But I find it hard to believe he was in the room pounding his fists on the table telling Howson and MacLean not to draft them.

• K-hab25 says:

He wasn’t the GM or the head scout and your tearing him apart for picking a guy in Filatov that every scout thought highly of. Your grasping at straws here Tom.

• commandant says:

I didn’t say he was pounding fists saying don’t draft them.

I am saying he would have given the GMs all the information (as he saw it) and they make the final call

Did he tell them they had character/work ethic flaws or not? and if he did, did they go for the pure talent and take them anyways?

We’ll never know, but I bet Bergevin has asked around to find out.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

23. von says:

Trivia question for you guys: Has a Canadiens player ever missed the start of a season due to a contract dispute? Or even any regular season games for that matter? Curious…

_________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

24. Cal says:

RDS is dropping the ball on tonight’s intra-squad game by not televising it. This game is something all of us have been waiting for. Even a bare bones production would be appreciated as we’d get to see Tinordi, Gallagher, Dumont and the rest of the Dogs up against Pleks, Cole and the rest.

Unfortunately, it looks like all we’ll get is a 20 second highlight reel.

• Strummer says:

Normally an intra-squad game would be relegated to an upper tier specialty channel – like Leafs TV.

However this game would get more ratings than whatever else RDS has on the sked tonight.
      ______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

25. scuba says:

Was at the game last night. Real sloppy which was to be expected but a few players definately stood out. Jones completly dominated the first period, controlling the play all over the ice. However, I didn’t notice him at all in the 2nd and 3rd which was disapointing.

Watching team Cherry their D was terrrible but Nurse and Subban both stood out. Subban made a lot of mistakes but he has a tonne of skill and can skate like his big bro. Nurse was big and physical and has all the tools but looked very awkward at times. At foraward, Drouin had an off night as the puck wasn’t bouncing for him which is rare to see. The only guys who seemed to step up were Hartman physically and MacKinnon. MacKinnon was by far the best player on the ice and seemed to get stronger as the game went on.

On team Orr the players who really stood out were Petan, small but skilled, Erne, a force all over and Zodorov and Jones on the back end.

Some guys who a was excited to see but didn’t show up were Mantha, Monahan, and Lazar.

The goalies all played great with only Fucale giving up any goals but he still looked strong as his team was completely dominated in the period he played.

All in all it was a great chance to see all the top prospects even if most of them looked out of sorts playing with new teamates.

• ed lopaz says:

I saw Drouin have a few very good shifts in the 1st period, and he was involved in a few excellent scoring chances which were not finished.

Petan’s goal was set up by Duclair – who also had a great set up earlier. I saw Duclair as being very creative, hard working, fast, and tenacious. He was playing on the left wing with Petan.

Agree that Jones and Mackinnon were dominant.

I thought Furcale looked real good in nets.

I didn’t watch any of the 3rd period – switched to the Gun Control debate.

• scuba says:

Drouin did look good in the first with MacKinnon but in the second and third the puck kept bouncing away from him and his passes were way off the mark. very rare to see him not controll the puck effortlessly but he definately struggled in the 2nd and 3rd.

You’re right about Duclair as he made some nice plays but he didn’t consistantly jump out at me like Petan did. It’s hard in a game like this when you are trying to watch everyone. All you can do is try and watch the game itself and think about who stood out when it’s over.

• ed lopaz says:

the cool thing about Duclair is that he was playing with 2 linemates who play together – and the announcer between periods highlighted that fact since it was much tougher for Duclair to play in that situation.

I watch for break out speed – guys who can open up space by moving their feet.

I focus on skating.

Glad you went to the game and brought us the report – thanks!

• scuba says:

Yup, in a game like this the thing that always stands out is the skating. That’s why even without a point, MacKinnon looked so good. It’s also why Subban was so impressive even with the mistakes. Dulair was a very quick smooth skater.

The skater who impressed me the most was Erne. I know he is a power forward but didn’t realize how great of a skater he was and what his top end speed is. I’ve seen him a half dozen times in Hlaifax but this was the best he has looked to me.

For all the Mike Boone Live blogger fans!

Mike wrote: “Ian: Live blogging resumes Saturday for the opener. I’ll be scouting but not writing tonight.

So the NHL ran a full page ad in the local Boston paper for the fans.

Gary Bettman seems like a real good hearted soul afterall.

28. Newf_Habster says:

What time will the intrasquad game start? Will it be on TV? Which network?

29. Habsrule1 says:

I am in disbelief that the Habs could start the season without PK. To me, this is worse than the lockout itself. It’s a short season, and the Habs will have trouble making the playoffs WITH PK. I’m an eternal Habs optimist, but I don’t like their chances without him in the line-up. I know it’s a business, but the best thing they can do for their fans is sign PK. I don’t know how, but get it done.
    If he’s not there Saturday, I hope the fans chant his name.

Go Habs Go!!

• BJ says:

Its a win win situation. We win PK gets a good dose of much needed humility. We lose we get into the top 4 picks.

• Habsrule1 says:

PK is part of my Habs team that I expect to make the playoffs. He’s the most exciting player we’ve had in Montreal since Lafleur.
        If they don’t sign him, I’ll be pissed. Then I’ll embrace whatever player we get due to the incompetence of management, but I’ll still be pissed.

Go Habs Go!!

30. Loonie says:

This is hilarious. The Russian scout for the Columbus BlueJackets isn’t accountable for the busts they selected from Russia BECAUSE Scott Howson was his GM.

Yet Timmins is responsible for all of our good draft picks and it has little to nothing to do with the leadership he was working under.

Interesting idea.

I suspect the poor work of this scout being seen as mitigated by Howson’s incompetence has a lot to do with him being hired by the Habs today.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Maybe our GMs listened to Timmins, partly because he is a clearly good at his job, and partly because, for all their failings, Gainey and Gauthier were actually pretty shrewd.

I don’t think anyone would call MacLean and Howson shrewd.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Loonie says:

The mentality and work of the GM with their scouting department shouldn’t go unnoticed, and Howson is the most qualified idiot GM in the NHL.

Having said that, this scout had to come back with rave reviews of Nikita Filatov and their other Russian busts for them to have been selected, and it speaks volumes of the rest of the Jackets’ scouting department that they weren’t able to convince their Head Scout or Howson of the flaws in those players.

His scouting reports not being a final word dictating what the Jackets did doesn’t make his work good.

• nunacanadien says:

The only question I have is, here we are the second richest team in the NHL and our scout extraordinairre and man who got us the greats we love like Maurice Richard, Ken Dryden and even Vladislav Tretiak, ok we make Trevor seem like he picked a dynasty, but really what has Trevor got us and what were the busts too? After all not all rookies are NHL material you’re bound to get some wrong.

But really where was Trevor in helping to select the Yakupov’s etc? if he is so good??????

Well at least you have a bone to chew on for the day with the rest of us Tom. :)

• Luke says:

I thought McClean was responsible for the Columbus mess. When did Howson take over?

I should said: McClean is responsible for the mess that is Columbus. When did Howson take over, and has he screwed things us further?

• Strummer says:

I don’t have the data but lets do an apples to apples comparison with the Habs Russian draft picks in order to see if the scout is the problem.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Loonie says:

Emelin already puts the Habs ahead.

• Strummer says:

How long did it take to get him here?

How do you know he wouldn’t have failed in the CBJ (dis)organization?

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Loonie says:

That’s not a question of scouting. That’s a question of how much you can pay the player to come over.

His presence in one season is better than any Russian BlueJacket drafted while this scout was with them.

• Ozmodiar says:

Hilarious that you’re judging this scout’s work as poor when you really don’t know what was said in meetings, who made final decisions, etc…

Filatov was the top rated European skater heading into the draft. Somehow I doubt it was the Russian scout’s job to make the decision between him and, say, Tyler Myers.

TT and MB seem to think this is a good hire, but you don’t. I see.

• Loonie says:

And everything they do should be seen as a step forward. I get it. They can do no wrong.

How foolish of me to presume that the Russian scout for the Jackets gave good reviews of Russian prospects drafted by them.

• Ozmodiar says:

No, just foolish to presume his work was poor. :)

• Loonie says:

It was his responsibility to get to know the players on and off of the ice. If he’d done an adequate job there’s a chance Howson and MacLean may not have drafted them. But that situation I will agree was beyond his control.

• Ozmodiar says:

If the Habs were picking such a highly ranked prospect, you can bet TT would be in the player’s house having tea with his parents….as he did with Forsberg last year.

Regional scouts are always going to have their top picks for their respective areas. At the time, Filatov was the best in Russia. It’s likely the final decision is made up the food chain (director of amateur scouting, GM).

31. Clay says:

I’m kind of ambivalent about the season, yet thrilled at the Gomez buyout. Nice guy, and I wish him well, but as far as on-ice performance goes he was a disgrace to the uniform.

__________________________
    ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

32. mdp2011 says:

Hmmm, Habs hire a former Blue Jackets scout in Russia, considering the success or lack of success the Blue Jackets have had with russian players, not sure this is a good move by the Habs, LOL.

“Abe Hefter ‏@hefteronthehabs As per @THNKenCampbell : Former Blue Jackets scout Artem Telepin has been hired as Montreal Canadiens scout in Russia.”

• Loonie says:

Just saw that too. Even the most neutral observes will find it difficult to like that move unless of course they’re a big fan of waiting on double zero to hit at the Roulette table.

• Habitforming says:

I don’t think I’d trust any scout Columbus has employed over the years. How can you draft in the top 5 picks for a decade and still have a horrible team and prospect pool.

• Cal says:

I think that is more on the GM than their scouts.

• Loonie says:

So we can chalk up Pacioretty, Subban, Price, Tinordi, Beaulieu and the rest of our good prospects drafted under Gainey’s leadership to Gainey’s work instead of Trevor Timmins’?

I love that the opinions here are re-shaped and sized every day to suit the agenda of the people forming them.

• Habsrule1 says:

To me, the drafy selections are 75% head scout and 25% GM.
            That being said, it can be such a crap shoot. You can literally have one of the best scouts available and still make some lousy picks. You just hope the good outweighs the bad.

Go Habs Go!!

• Cal says:

Gainey and PG actually listened to their head scout, but the final decision is the GM’s.
            BTW, what is my so-called agenda? Is it the crime of rooting for the Habs?

EDIT- @ Loonie nee Tom- kk- Bergevin still has a long way to go to impress me, too. I hope the team he assembled gives all us Hab fans the results we want: #25!

• Loonie says:

There’s a lot of truth in that but you can’t miss with top ten picks in today’s NHL. This scout had a direct effect on that with Columbus because his scouting reports on Filatov and others were the basis from which the rest of the team worked from.

My biggest dog in this fight is that it’s ridiculous to excuse this man for the busts and chalk it up to Howson’s incompetence and at the same time give Timmins sole credit for our homeruns. Doesn’t work like that.(and I know you didn’t say so).

@Cal,

I wasn’t referring to you specifically. Many here, an overwhelming majority in fact give zero credit to Bob Gainey for the delegation of duties to his scouting department. But at the same time I can see the writing on the wall. This will be seen as a great move by Bergevin because…….he’s Bergevin, and not Gainey or Gauthier.

Their good work is dismissed and placed in the laps of others. Bergevin’s moves have near unanimously been seen as homeruns without much objective analysis. It’s just all been seen as great.

Time will tell.

@Loonie, Tom I ask this in sincerity and not to stir the pot. Did MB fire the buddy you had as scout in the Habs organization? When MB was first hired, I seem to recall you being fairly positive about it, along with Dudley etc… Then you had the scoop on the possible Kane trade. Seems since then you have really had a burr in your saddle as it relates to MB.

Gerald,

The person is still with the organization in the same capacity. I was enthusiastic. The enthusiasm nearly eroded when Therrien was hired, Moen and Prust were given four year deals, Subban’s contract didn’t get done in the summer, Price got the salary he got and players who should have been moved or not brought back were(Weber, Kaberle). In addition, he signed a first rate thug in Colby Armstrong, a pet for Therrien in Bouillon and ignored the team’s need for size and physicality on defense in the short term.

I loved that he gave Pacioretty the extension and that he hired Sylvain Lefebvre to coach the Bulldogs.

But in my opinion the bad has far outweighed the good so far and I see few people providing objective opinion. I have no problem debating the good and the bad based on merit, I don’t particularly enjoy it based on faith.

Now to be fair. I agree with nearly all of the moves I see as bad if his intention is a high draft pick in June.

• nunacanadien says:

Trevor did a hicup there, Patches doesn’t fit the Trevor Timmin’s miniature pony stable of players…..I guess Patches was Gainey’s pick. There.

Clearly I know nothing about the scout in particular, but I do know who the GM’s at Columbus have been over the years. Scouts give opinions and GM’s make the choices, or at least listening to Doug MacLean talk about his time in COlumbus that was his way.

I am not to concerned as Timmins would be overseeing the scout and would probably look at the players the Russian scout points out. I suspect this may be to help find players in the later rounds.

• Loonie says:

Will you be correcting those that attribute the successful Habs choices to Timmins’ acumen then?

Can’t have it both ways.

I’m not TOO concerned about this because protocol is that the entire scouting team deliberates after all of the scouting has concluded and everyone gathers to analyze every player and they critique from there. But having this voice in the room isn’t a good move until proven otherwise.

I seem to think the MB gave Timmins much more control of the draft than PG did in the past. I see your point, but given this is just a scout, not the chief scout I don’t see the individual doing much more than bringing to the attention of Timmins some players that may otherwise not have been noticed.

• Loonie says:

Gainey allowed Timmins to announce all selections that had team presence on the podium because he was in charge of the draft. I don’t remember if Gauthier did the same but I believe he did.

Unless we something concrete that Howson didn’t cede control of his draft to his chief scout this man’s work should be scrutinized. Because it was he who did player evaluation in Russia until the conclusion of the NHL regular season unless they worked by committee in Russia, and I don’t believe they did.

• Sportfan says:

That sounds like a terrible idea, they must see something we don’t

• nunacanadien says:

Hey if he picks the next Yakupov as Trevor Timmins can’t always get us the Maurice Richards, the Jean Beliveaus of the world now can he? Or has he already got us dynasty players? If he did Bob Gainey and Gauthier traded them away I am sure as they were probably way too big to fit in the Habs MiniVan and the Habs Ultralight aircraft that the grinch Molson uses to ship the team around. The team’s second most richest team scrimping and saving by only signing the world’s smallest midget NHL players…..I wonder if Geoff Molson has a stable of miniature ponies, oh wait, he’s already bought Trevor Timmins, the best miniature pony getter for the habs.

33. Cal says:

The burning question for today is…
    Will there be a Boone live blog tonight?

2 more sleeps to puck drop! I will deep in the heart of Leafland at a local sports bar here in Burlington. Need a Habs win or I could have quite the bar tab, I tend to accept bets rather easily when watching amongst the enemy. Lets hope I don’t have to pass the hat around here Monday morning. Had Gomez been sent to Hamilton, I could have had him join me at the bar and helped cover the tab, assuming he would join me in betting on the Habs.

• Loonie says:

I’m the same way pal. I won my football pool this season and a buddy in it owed me $75 when it was done. He offered to go double or nothing on the BCS Title game for the pool money and I obliged getting all nostalgic about Notre Dame. Didn’t work out so well. Fortunately for me 10 other guys owe me similar coin…..:)

• geo_habsgo says:

How did Pen State do this year? :)

• Loonie says:

You mean the kids who got punished for something their former assistant coach did and former head coach allowed?

Sorry. Sore subject. NCAA sanctions are ridiculous sometimes. Throw Sandusky in prison and throw away the key, fire Paterno and erase his name, but why punish children for the actions of adults? Makes no sense.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree! While on topic did yuu see the item about the disparity universities spend on athletes as opposed to a normal student. Huge. But one can also argue that athletic programs draw money????

• Loonie says:

The money that BCS football programs draw is unreal. Some think that the student athletes in those programs should be paid.

• geo_habsgo says:

Just teasing. I agree, I feel bad for the players since they earned their spot and are not to blame for the transgressions of team management.

I am curious to see if it will be possible for the university to rebuilt its football reputation after all this is over.

• commandant says:

Tom, the kids were allowed to leave Penn State on free transfers and not have to sit out a year.

Other schools were given 1 extra scholarship for every Penn State student they took on a transfer, in order to encourage movement and not have any of the kids stuck at Penn State if they didnt want to be there.

The NCAA did everything possible to avoid punishing the kids.

That said, you can’t ONLY punish Sandusky. You need to send a message to the school that covering something up for a decade in the name of “protecting” the football program is unacceptable. Administrators needed to be made an example of so that other schools know that covering up a scandal is the worst thing you can do for your football program. The institutional coverup went past the coaches, and into the AD, assistant AD, and even possibly the University President. Thats unacceptable and the institution needed to be punished IMO.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Loonie says:

I don’t disagree Ben. But not every kid on that team had the opportunity to transfer. And out of the over one hundred student athletes that are members of that football team, the number of kids who actually could have transferred at that point were low.

In addition. Why should those kids have to transfer? They’ve built relationships and the beginning of their young adulthood at that school and were punished for actions that had nothing to do with them.

• Ozmodiar says:

What?! You’re not going to the Marlies v. Bulldogs game??

Jan 19, 7pm – The place will be rockin’!!

• habstrinifan says:

Keeping fingers crossed for you.

35. Habfan10912 says:

We’re coming up on day 6 and still no wjc sighting. All kidding aside, I’m worried. Should we send someone on a welfare check?

———————————–

36. Cal says:

Have to laugh out loud at the 8 year deal for Zajak.
    It appears the ludicrous contract for Kovalchuk isn’t enough.

2 more sleeps! :)

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Cal, I agree. See my post below. I think I saw someone else, (24Cups?)make a similar comment.

———————————–

• Cal says:

Hey, Jim. Heading to the Bell Centre for the freebie?
        I have a feeling the place is going to get crowded by noon.

• Habfan10912 says:

:) Believe it or not I told the wife I was thinking of making the 6 hour trek to Montreal. She said, “Oh, they’re playing a game already?” and I said “no, just practice.” She looked at me strangely for a moment and then said, “Should I call the Doctor?”
          Gonna look for a live stream instead. CHeers bud.
          ———————————–

Another mid-season draft ranking list. You know, I have to wonder, do these guys who make up all these rankings ever get to see all of these players? Lots of “experts” post stuff on the internet and hockey sites about prospects but I actually wonder just how much they really see first hand. Anyway, here they are.

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks for sharing Steve. I am no draftnik by any means but I really enjoy watching and reading about all the young prospects. One thing that strikes me, watching the prospects game last night, was the level and quality of play of these teenagers. Holy crap what skill. It seems the talent of players continues to improve year after year. If money hadn”t interfered so much with our game, the future would look so much brighter, huh?

———————————–

• 24 Cups says:

If the Habs really stink, they might just get a chance to take Drouin. If they are just mediocre, then it could well be Gauthier.

• habstrinifan says:

If I may take a different view. I was really disturbed by the lack of passing.. I mean forehand to forehand in stride ‘parallel’ passing on the rush. I know it was a game with teams of strangers but wow…

• Loonie says:

Each year that passes I continue to lose more and more faith in the scouting services in addition to media rankings.

I’ve been in the room when these guys debate the top dogs(only a couple of times however) and the premiums are……size, production, a complete skill set and whether or not they have something that sets them apart in a measurable way. Heart really only matters if they have the tools to go with it. Character gets overblown by TSN in the pre-draft process.

Mackinnon and Jones are GREAT prospects. Jones has the most upside of a defenseman since I don’t know when and I think if their conversation comes down to the two he ends up on top. Having said that(and I know I’ve mentioned this before), Aleksander(Sasha) Barkov should be considered a near unanimous #1 and I’m afraid he would be if his name were Dougie Smith or John Williams. He’ll have been a pro hockey player for two years at the time he’s selected and at season’s end will have produced near elite to elite offensive numbers in a low scoring league as a 17 year old. Has the size, hands, vision, puck distribution and shot that will translate to an elite winger at the NHL level. Or if you prefer, what they’re all hoping Mackinnon will become.

• Chris says:

Ah, but he didn’t tear up the World Juniors. That is another ding against the rankings, in my opinion.

They put FAR too much stock on a short tournament in the middle of the season when players are thrown together for 2-3 weeks without much familiarity with their teammates or the system.

• Chris says:

Darnell Nurse at 11 seems VERY high to me. He’s big, but he’s a very awkward skater. Whoever drafts him should be prepared to wait 2-4 years for him to develop into an NHL skater.

• krob1000 says:

I recall getting scolded pretty good on here a couple of months ago for saying Jones is the better prospect….but a dman like him does not come around very often (or like he could become I should say). HE has the ability to become a Pronger/Blake/Chara type force who can eliminate half of he ice for half of the game defensively and be an offensive threat…really the complete package from a dman.
      The knock was that his defensive ability was not up to snuff…well he is 18 and a monster…they always take longer to develop that (need to consistently play top end players to learn to rspect time/space and risk vs reward)but he has the athletic ability and the pedgiree to become special. OF course he could become Bouwmeester which isn’t awful either but if that is the case Mackinnon will have the better career but I think if given the choice and assuming a team needed both a d and a forward…I go Jones. Some also question his toughness…..that too may come with experience and age though….
      I was talking to a scout recently about Jonathan Drouin and he said all other scouts are just blown away by his skill level which is also accompanied with a drive and ability to utilize it in tight spaces..and that the rate of improvement is so alarming that he commands serious consideration for top 3 and by seasons end could be in the conversation for first overall…other two would need to take steps back along with him improving but it is a possibility.

So the Zajac contract is front loaded in a different way. Seems the early loophole discovered is to make the contract lower early when escrow is expected to be higher, and making the larger payouts later in the contract when revenues should be higher and thus less escrow.

If indeed PK is signed soon, I wonder if a similar patterned contract will be done.

• Habfan10912 says:

I see the Devils play often and Zajac is a very nice player but doesn’t put up huge offensive numbers which IMO warrant the 8 years, A very good two way player though. The money? With Kovalchuk’s huge cap hit and with Patrik Elias soon to be looking to be paid, I can’t help but wonder if the Devils have mismanaged their cap space. Lou get’s a lot of credit for his GM skills and rightfully so but his cap management skills may be something else to be desired.
      The money? Who knows but 8 years for Travis Zajak? I’d pass.

———————————–

• 24 Cups says:

Gerald – It appears only the first year is lower (5M). Then it jumps to 6.5M but I stand corrected.

3.5 then 5 then 6.5 with a slight drop at end. Interesting seems he also got a NTC thrown in there as well. Seems strange to have to give that kind of term and still a NTC for a 2nd line player, but then again NTC seem to be pretty common nowadays for any player of significance.

39. Habfan10912 says:

Was finally able to spend 30+ minutes on watching the above videos. I was very neutral as it pertained to the hiring of MT. Watching this interview he appeared very relaxed and seemed to say all the right things. He obviously knows the game and one would hope like all of us, he’s learned from past mistakes. I loved what he said about Gionta. From a distance it never looked to me that Brian had an active role as captain. If that was true then it appears that is going to change.
    Jury is still out but I get the feeling we will see a lot more positives this season. My apologies to Timo and the other anti MT crowd. I’m going to base my judgement on results.

———————————–

Good Morning Jim, I suspect Gionta’s role with the team will be expanded with MT as coach. I seem to recall from the Spacek and Gill articles that JM did virtually no communication with the team. This alone should help as all players should at least know where they stand with roles and where they stand with the coach.

• 24 Cups says:

I truly hope Gionta has a decent season. I had to laugh last year when some posters on the site stated that he should be dumped. This was while the poor guy was on the injury list for half a year!

Make Gorges the captain. No, switch that to Cole. How about Subban. LOL. Five years ago, it was a battle for Higgins and Komisarek to replace Koivu. What a merry-go-round. Lots of names were bandied about a few years ago in terms of who should be captain. Joining Gionta were Cammalleri, Gomez, Gill and Markov. Looks like the team made the right choice.

Gionta is strictly a 2nd line winger. His goal scoring tends to be streaky. However, the guy shows up every night, punches above his weight and isn’t afraid to get his nose dirty. His play will be the least of Therrien’s worries.

• Cal says:

I am looking for a turnaround for all the underperformers and recently injured this season. Gionta, Bourque and Kaberle will lead the way to the promised land. (snicker) Seriously, a playoff spot isn’t out of the question, but many things have to go right.

Agree about Gio, I have to believe when teammates see a guy like him busting his tail every shift and not being afraid to go to any area of the ice despite his size he becomes a role model.

You are correct in that Gio will be the least of MT’s concerns. I really appreciated hearing MT speak that way about his Captain and how he plans to run the team through Gio.

Have to say it was riveting TV listening to Nick Kypreos miked up during prospects game. Prior to watching the game I wouldn’t have known a team needs to get 1 goal before they can get to 2.

I see a bright coaching career in Nick’s future. :)

41. VancouverHab says:

Okay, Mr. Stubbs: Pleks suffered because of revolving linemates last season. Was there another important centre last year who had even more linemate revolutions? If there was, one assumes that fairness will demand even stronger sympathy for that centree..

And DD gets Patches and Cole, whom even I would score points playing between, and he is a media darling.

It’s almost as if journalists write from the same pet feelings and blind sentimentalities as the average fan….

May just be words at this point but like what MT has to say, philosophy seems good to me.

43. EL_PRESEDENTE says:

By the end of this season we all will be wanting Gomez back.
    The future is black.
    MacKinnon is the only way out.

44. naweed235 says:

so i PK signed yet or is he still under the impression that he is the chosen one?

45. Habilis says:

Thanks for the video Stubbs, great stuff.

Regarding Galchenyuk, I saw on L’Antichambre tonight, Therrien said that if the kid does stay, he would bunk up with one of the older Habs a la Crosby with Lemieux. His words at the end of the answer, loosely translated: “We’re certainly not going to let an 18 year old kid loose in Montreal”. Made me chuckle.

So, who would be the best Hab for Gally to live with? I imagine it would be someone like Gionta or Cole. Suggestions?

• jols101 says:

Subban. lol. Ohhh boy would those 2 ever light up Montreal.

I think you are right with Cole or Gionta. Maybe Markov or Gorges as well.

• Habilis says:

LMAO @ the thought of him and Subban together. You could make a reality show out of that.

Yeah Gorges or Markov could be in the mix. The reason I think Cole and Gio are perfect is that they are obviously both seasoned veterans. Both are professionals on and off the ice. Both are Cup winners. And I could be wrong but I think they both live here year-round.

• The Jackal says:

The only reality show I would watch. Other than HBO 24/7, if you count that as a reality show – its more of a documentary/

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• SlovakHab says:

That’s a fantastic idea. This should have been done more players.
      I think any of the veterans would work fine. As you guys say – Gionta, Cole or Gorges sound like very good choices.

• HabFanSince72 says:

That mafioso who looked after the K Bros.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Chris says:

Not quite as simple as looking through the roster and trying to see who fits.

Players have personal lives as well. Cole and Gionta are both married with children. Their wives and kids obviously get a large say in the matter! :) Plekanec and his wife had a baby last year, didn’t they? Their hands are probably a little full. Same goes for Brian Gionta and his wife, whose youngest son was born in May of this year.

Having a 19 year old living in your house can be irksome if it isn’t your own kid. And it obviously helps if the house is set up properly so that that 19 year old has some privacy and a personal life as well. I know that my own personal hell has a crying baby soundtrack, so some of the oft-mentioned players might not be quite as good of a choice as people think.

46. The Dude says:

Alot of posters slamming Nuna but I find him alternative….he’s kind of like our very own Alex Jones ;)

47. JayK-47 says:

In WTF news, Scooter Gomez is a Devil and the dead girlfriend LennayKay is tweeting.

48. pete says:

hey every one im new here just wanted to say hello and its nice the habs are giving back to the fans would like to see more of it not just the habs but the whole leauge nice to see the new look for the habs now lets hope MT,MB get the habs on track i would also like to say i think that nunna guy is off his rocker sometimes well cant wait for sat go habs go

49. jols101 says:

Thank You Dave Stubbs. Great interview.

I was really hard on Bergevin when he chose Therrien as head coach and if memory serves me correct I called Therrien several choice names. After listening to this interview I think I may have judged him harshly. Therrien is saying all the right things and I look forward to watching my Habs under his new system. Lose to the Laffs on Saturday night and the love fest is over though. lol.

• Phil C says:

I just watched the Therrien interview and I had the same reaction. He had all the right answers and his experience as an NHL coach was coming through with all the little decisions he has made like having a small number of players in camp, being very prepared, treating it like a practice instead of training camp, taking the pressure off Galchenyuk, keeping good lines together, not worrying about Subban, having some practices in the Bell Centre, etc.

I was especially impressed with his communication skills with his players in how he uses his Captain and his open door policy. Communication is the lifeblood of an organization, so that bodes well for the season. If the Habs stay healthy, this could be a fun season!

50. commandant says:

Gotta be impressed with the goalies in today’s top prospects game especially considering that Eric Comrie wasn’t even there. I think there could be a good one available in the third round in a guy like Tristan Jarry and that might be a good project for the Habs going forward.

Considering our 3rd will be our 5th pick overall. I think it would be a good time to land a goalie as our cupboard (prospect wise) is pretty bare.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

51. EL_PRESEDENTE says:

Plekanec is out for the season. Subban wont sign, Cole won’t produce, Pacioretty will flop, Price will choke, Markov won’t last a game, Borque will float, Gionta will be traded and Galchinyuk will be a bust. the farm is empty. The future is black.

TANK FOR MacKinnon!!!!!!

Don’t know if it’s been posted but here is Brian Wilde’s prediction for the Habs. *** Spoiler Alert*** He thinks they’ll be better than last season.

53. longbow says:

Funny how the first 5 or 10 comments to every thread seem to encapsulate the HIO experience !

” Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm ” – Winston Churchill

I haven’t logged into Twitter in ages. My first act… to un-follow Hockeyy Insiderr. I have enough already with nuna.

55. AceMagnum says:

Please please please don’t trade Budaj!!!!

Thomas Hickey, drafted 4th overall by LA in 2007, has been claimed on waivers by the NYI. Alas, Hickey never played a game in the NHL. The players chosen immediately after him were: Alzner, Gagner, Voracek and Couture.

First things, first. Let’s give the guy a chance.

• Bill says:

Oh, fine. 48 games.

I’m lying. 20 games. To gel. Hahaha.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• HardHabits says:

I was one of the people clamouring for Patrick Roy. In retrospect I am glad it was Therrien instead. After last season’s debacle can it get any worse?

EDIT: Just read Stubbs’ interview with Therrien and I am psyched to see what he will accomplish in the next 3 years. Yes you heard me. I am very patient and I advise patience. If MT lives up to his motto of making the Habs appear like a hard working team I believe fans will forgive him if we don’t win the Cup this season. I look forward to seeing how the Habs use their speed and forecheck. I am tired of the 0-1-4 and 0-2-3 systems that Carbo and Martin held dear to their hearts.

Or a high draft pick.

59. sane hockey fan says:

duuuude… http://www.tsn.ca/montreal/feature/?fid=50981

edit: is it a geoblocking issue?

60. Trisomy 21 says:

I’m not sure if this is an option for you but you could stream it. I find these guys to be the best because streaming sites seem to come and go, but these guys always find several links for each game.

61. 24moreCups says:

TSN 990 is now TSN 690, should work just fine.

I never set it up, but I know if you are blocked due to geographical location, you can bypass that by using a proxy, but you’d have to google on how to do it.

63. habstrinifan says:

They were going out as in off the air but were saved when a decision by our Fed agency which regulates broadcasting etc held up the deal (maybe altered) that would have seen them totally disappear. They were saved from extinction but had to give up their spot on the dial.

64. BJ says:

Agreed and I also think we are a much better team. Hopefully other teams are not so improved.

That a boy NORM!
    And I agree, healthy, we are a very good team this year!