One-on-one with Brian Gionta

Brian Gionta

Brian Gionta in discussion about his captaincy and his life at and away from the rink.
Stubbs video capture

Brian Gionta is heading into his second season as captain of the Canadiens, having been so named last Sept. 29 in, appropriately, a low-key ceremony in his team’s Brossard dressing room.

I had the opportunity last week, one year to the day since his first game as captain, to sit down with the 31-year-old native of Rochester, N.Y., and talk about how his life has changed – and hasn’t changed – since he was chosen the 28th Canadien to wear the C on his jersey.

Here are the key parts of the discussion in a 16-minute high-definition video. The companion Stubbs feature story will appear in Thursday’s Hockey Inside/Out preview section in The Gazette, and will be linked here.

1. eeffvv says:

Good news: this website ((http://itshrunk.com/cd9649) ) we has been updated and add products

and many things they abandoned their increases are welcome to visit our website. Accept cash

or credit card payments, free transport. You can try oh, will make you satisfied.

It’s game day , very pumped. The new Gomez era begins!

3. Marc10 says:

Yes. PG made JM very happy with the Betts signing.

I hope Scotty G plays well in these first games and proves to one and all he followed up the pre-summer talk with the walk.

No passengers this year. On y va!

4. Marc10 says:

I’d actually like to see our boys paste the Laffs on our way to number 25… but because I know the TO media cabal would get all “Laff Nation” with it all… It’s a big fat no from me.

No Cup for Toronto until Cherry bites it.

5. The Cat says:

Yes Id like the leafs to make the playoffs, getting tired of habs-Boston and habs-Philly all the time.

• 24moreCups says:

Yeah I’d like to see a Habs vs Leafs playoff series, I just hate the Leafs and a us beating them out of the playoffs would put a big smile on my face! haha

6. j2w4habs25 says:

sooo excited for tomorrow’s game I cant even sleep because I keep thinking about it. OMG Habs hockey is BACK….. DAMN I love the Canadiens sooo much!!!!!! GO HABS GO… lets RAKE emm’ LEAFS!

Carey Price #31

7. Habitant in Surrey says:

…thanks Dave for all the great video scrums, interviews and profiles You have been making …first class

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

8. Habitant in Surrey says:

Poll Question: ‘Would You like to see the Toronto Maple Leafs make the playoffs this season ?’ …84 % NO Damn Way !!! :)

…talk ’bout pilin’ on !

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

How come “who cares” isn’t an option?

____________________________________________________
      They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

9. mamacat says:

gaawd… enough with the captaincy questions! Is this why you do this Stubbs? Because we’re such hard critics.

I’d like to go on a tangent here if y’all don’t mind.

You know how people complain about uncivilized discussion. Those discussion on here where the cutest of insults appear. I’m thinking of ‘troll’ here. I love that jargon! It’s so fantasy world related. Anyway. On the topic of online arguments escalating. This is the internet. Whatdyou expect? Don’t worry about it guys!!

#seriouslyStubbs, c ut that shit out.

• mamacat says:

in retrospect: peace is a better choice.

• The Dude says:

I love lil Gionta and besides the fact I believe he needs a couple of Gorilla’s on his line I think “here’s the wow factor” Gomez is the true C on the C.H.. Yes ,I know he SUCKed for a couple of years now but He’s gonna have a KILLER year this year”you can feel it” and when Lurch almost killed MaxPax, who got in that big loafs face?…Gomez! I feel we are going to all have a spanish Christmas present under our tree this year and the team will be lead by our $ 7 million dollar man regardless of who’s the captain.Oh by the way,if he chokes this year “he better be injured” eff him and feed him too the Dawgs! R.I.P. Steve Jobs,thanks for making Star Trek real.

10. HABSsince92 says:

So I just found out that Price is going to be wearing pink Reebok equipment for October for Breast Cancer awareness……pretty sweet.

The Scott Gomez line………..where wingers go to die.

11. naweed235 says:

When everyone’s healthy, this line up isn’t too shabby if you ask me…

Cammaleri – Plekanec – Kostitsyn
    Pacioretty – Gomez – Gionta
    Desharnais – Eller – Cole
    Darche – Betts – White
    Moen can rotate with Darche if we play more physical teams…

PK – Gill
    Markov – Yemelin
    Georges – Campolli
    Spacek can… ummm… he can ummm…. something with Gatorade?

I think Webber can be traded for a 2nd or 3rd rounder…

12. pmaraw says:

nhl on tsn panel thinks habs will finish 8th…. bubble team as bob talking head mckenzie puts it. cant wait till they eat crow.

13. alfieturcotte says:

Canadiens should have gone after Owen Nolan instead. Proven leader, consumate team player, solid scorer, great hands, still has some legs…..

14. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

I really dont want to start this season off 0-2. Were gonna need big things from price again this season. hopefully, this is the year, he begins to take the team on his shoulders. I feel like its gonna be a big season for him and he establishes himself as a true nhll sll star goalie.

15. Nitroslices says:

Puck drops for the Habs tomorrow against the Leafs. They better take them seriously because the Leafs will play like it is the Stanley Cup final.

16. caladin says:

@trisonmy
    No. For one thing you can send any player down for conditioning after an injury without fear of waivers as long as it’s for no more than 14 days. Also Eller is pretty young, he may still be immune to waivers, idk. Remember that 1way or 2 way contracts have no effect on waivers.

17. Trisomy 21 says:

So until Eller and White return, our lines are set… I ‘spect that our fourth liners as well as Weber will feel some fire under their arses.
    Does Eller have to clear waivers if the Habs want to send him to Hamilton for conditioning?

18. DEANDALLEY says:

The game at the ACC Thursday night will be a statement game for our Habs. They will make an example out of the Loafs…

This yrs team should be good for 3 goals a game maybe 4.

The D have to clear the net for Price at all cost. 95% of the goals scored on Price last season was due to our D not taking out the man.

Martin has to stop line juggling all the time. Pick his lines and stick to them. Let the guys get used to each other …

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing”

19. Matt. says:

I have a good feeling about this year’s addition… As long as they stay healthy the Canadiens should be a lot of fun to watch, i think they’re going to skate teams into the ice..

And Blair Betts was an excellent addition, exactly what the Habs needed.

Go Habs!!

20. Mavid says:

only a few more hours…
    second place is just the first loser

21. Trisomy 21 says:

Praise Allah hockey is back tomorrow