One-on-One: Chipchura taking it all in

Canadiens’ Kyle Chipchura at close quarters Saturday night with Toronto defenceman Hal Gill.
André Ringuette, NHLI via Getty Images

In this week’s One-on-One, The Gazette’s Kevin Mio sits down with Canadiens rookie forward Kyle Chipchura, who has quickly established himself as an important player on the roster.

Chipchura was the captain of Canada’s national junior team that won the gold medal at the 2006 World Junior Hockey Championship held in British Columbia and has been known as a leader throughout his career.

In the one-on-one, Chipchura discusses his experience at the WJHC and what adjustments he has had to make for playing at the NHL level.

Read on for a sample of a few questions:

You have been a captain in junior and with the national junior team. Do
you dream of one day becoming a captain of the Canadiens or any other
NHL team?

"That would be great, but at the same time, there are some pretty
good leaders in the room, some of the young guys who have been here for
a while. I think the leadership of this team is going to be solid for
many years."

What has stood out for you as a highlight so far this season?

"I guess my first NHL game in Pittsburgh. Also, my first game here
at the Bell Centre against the Hurricanes is something I will never
forget. You dream your whole life about that."

1. KamiDave says:

Good idea, thanks.

2. Drew42 says:

Hey KamiDave,
    I know how you feel after moving out to Vancouver not to long ago, you could always try and go to “Bang-on prints” (at least I think thats the name of the place) they make custom T-shirts they should have a CH logo….they have one of their stores downtown right near the HMV.

– Drew

3. NYhabster says:

Create a custom T:

If you Google “custom T’s” you may find more sites like this. Pick out a T and upload your image. Not sure if the image has to be high res or not. Should be plenty of CH images out there.

4. Andrea says:

I really like chipchura , I didnt expect much out of him in his 1st year but he has been really good. he has more offensive skills then I thought.

5. habsguy says:

yup, could be some kind of a bug….I haven’t read many of your posts, but there are some people who keep posting the same stuff over and over again, like who we didn’t draft, if thats all they have to say, they should be deleted….gets kinda boring!!!!!

6. fuhgawz says:

that would be awesome !!!!! —- love to see that ….. if that wouldn’t make him smile on the ice i’m not sure what would

7. KamiDave says:

TOTALLY off topic, but…

I’ve been looking for a habs t-shirt for a while now to no avail.. all I want is a white tshirt with habs insignia, that’s it. No writing, nothing else.. can’t seem to find one anywhere… I’m from BC and they don’t have any at the sports stores here (lucky to find Habs anything) and I was just in Montreal last month, but had no luck then either. (Found lots of stuff, but it was all long sleeve multicolored lots of writing or just not what I was looking for).. if anyone has any suggestions of what website or where to look, that’d be just peachy! I need a shirt to piss off my co-workers, and be stylish at the same time.

8. Bouleau noir says:

I didn’t expect much from Chipchura, I guess his reputation of being a checking line center type and my concern for the CH lacking offense when the season began had me looking elsewhere,… but not for long.

It was readilly apparent that Chip was a more complete player than I had expected, as good as he was ” without the puck ” its when I realise how well he was doing “with the puck” that I started to get excited about having him on board,… and before too long I started thinking Ron Francis and the likes.

As for now I see him as a true competitor and a classic ” two way player ” that sees each instant on the ice as crucial moments to a game.

Great hockey mind, responsible yet eager as well as able to make things happened offensivelly as well…. without question an excellent 5-on-5 performer for years to come.

9. Habs-Kat says:

Imagine the Bell Centre chanting in unison everytime Higgins scores: “Maximus! Maximus! Maximus!”

10. The Teacher says:

Hey Kevin,

Why were cournoyer12 and my posts both deleted?

Thank you.

11. habsguy says:

now that we’ve got the goalie fpr the future, I guess we could try to draft a big guy

12. sidhu says:

Higgins wants to be called Russell Crowe! Maybe we should start referring to him as “Maximus” on this site.