One-on-one: Captain Kirk thrives at work

Canadiens assistant coach Kirk Muller says he has to control his emotions now that he takes in games from behind the bench rather than from on the ice.

In this week’s One-on-one, The Gazette’s Kevin Mio sat down with Canadiens assistant coach and former team captain Kirk Muller.

Here is a sample of some of the questions Muller answered:

What do you think is harder, playing or coaching in the NHL?

"It’s easier on the body being a coach, but it’s easier on the mind being a player (deep laugh)."

Have you received any advice or inspiration on what it takes to be a successful NHL coach?

"I think it’s more I have just kind of picked up on different positive traits from different guys I have had. Jacques Demers, the great thing about him to me was that he was a really good communicator and his door was always open. He always welcomed input and I think that is sort of what my attitude is as well; to listen to your players and I think that is something I take from a guy like Jacques."

1. MTL LOVE says:

Captain Kirk was our 93 hero!!
    On the ice, behind the bench..he is one of a kind 🙂

2. fuhgawz says:

I was one of the guys who once said Ryder should be traded …… i also stated i would eat my words if i was wrong ……consider it done — but lets see how he does next game. still not sold (yet)

3. Grabs says:

I just watched NHLNET’s classic series program, tonight they aired the 93 Mtl. – Buff. series that was capped off by Kirk scoring the series ending overtime winner. During the post-game interview, in typical Muller fashion he praised John Leclair for breaking to the net and thus giving Kirk the room he needed to get a good shot off. That guy was a captain in every sense of the word. Seeing him jaw at Julien last night was the highlight of the game.

4. xeonus says:

Kirk rocks -period-

I’ll always remember and respect how he played with such grit, determination and smarts. Everyone talks about how Roy’s OT heroics won ’93 for us, and I’ll never dispute that fact, but among the many unsung heroes on that team, Capt’n Kirk was definitely one of them… leading by example.

5. TradeRyder says:

Kirk rocks. Second only to Picard.

Hope makes a good breakfast, but a bad supper! Trade Ryder!

6. TradeRyder says:

I had some respect for Julien too – as a developer of players especially. Always thought he was a little too soft for the NHL… we’ll see how he does long-term with the Bruins.

I TOTALLY agree with what you say about Theirrien. He reminds me of Rodney Dangerfield. He has too little in the way of finesse to deal in a finesse game. I agree he’ll be out of a job by year’s end.

Hope makes a good breakfast, but a bad supper! Trade Ryder!

7. showey47 says:

yeah julien and therrien have a real hate on for the habs organization in general. I had alot of respect for julien because he has proven that he can coach, but most of that respect left last night. As for therrien , he is the worst coach in the league and will be out of a job soon enough

8. JasonM says:

I’m a huge Captain Kirk fan and I’m very pleased to have him as our assistant coach.

9. TradeRyder says:

Great to see Kirk hasn’t lost his passion.

Seems like Claude J has a little frustration burning at him – maybe being back in the building where he was canned. You know he’d LOVE to beat the Habs, but his is the one team that can’t. Must bug ’em.

Chara… someone should clean his clock. But who?

Hope makes a good breakfast, but a bad supper! Trade Ryder!

10. Da Hema says:

I will never forget seeing Kirk cry when the Habs traded him. The list of talent given away by the Habs in the 1990s still makes me ill: Desjardins, Schneider, Leclair, Muller, Roy. It has taken a long time for this organisation to recover from those dark years.

I too laughed when Muller wanted to jump over the boards and spank Clod Julien. I always thought Clod was a clown, but last night confirmed it. While I am amazed at Chara’s skills as a player, he is just simply too big and tough to fight. Some people in the previous thread were suggesting the Habs need an enforcer. Didn’t Chara smash Raivin’s (sp?) face into 20 pieces–and he weighed something like 260 pounds when he briefly played for the Habs? If Chara intends to hit players like he did Kovalev, then my suggestion is to “tap” Chara on the wrist or ankle. Although it was interesting to see that Chara can get worked up and take bad penalties. That might be useful in the future.

“Play every game as if it is your last one.”
    –Guy Lafleur
    “All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity.”
    –Gordie Howe

11. The Teacher says:

Ahhhh, I love Kirk ‘Is Work’ Muller. Always have and always will…his goal turned our playoffs around on a pass from Vinny Damphousse in 93.

On another not, glad to see some spirit in our team again, defending each other even against a 6’9 bully who should be suspended for his actions last night in my opinion.

12. Thumper says:

I always remember Kirk Mullers black eye in game 4, 1993 playoffs at the Aud vs Buffalo, he looked like a warrior, played like a warrior and then scored the game winner in OT to send us to the conference final. That was my great memory. My other memory for some bizarre reason is when his helmet flipped around the wrong way in I think game 2 of the finals in 93 and I was shouting at the screen directions of how to get it back on as he struggled to fathom why it was back to front and on his face and had to skate to the bench.