One more week till camp

Do you like this page?

It’s one of an estimated 15.4 billion on the Web!

Kinda puts things in perspective …

• Randy Phillips feature on Louis Leblanc

• Pat Hickey on the price of new Nordiques

• Here’s a surprise: Pierre Karl Péladeau won’t be investing in a new QC arena

• Chantal Hébert on Stephen Harper’s dilemma

An American expert on the cost of new arenas weighs in

• They may not see much action, but their faces are on game tickets this season: Ryan White, Yannick Weber, Alexandre Picard and Ben Maxwell

Adam Proteau of THN tabs Habs for seventh

We’ll watch ANY hockey

2TeW6P-Xiao

• Eric Duhatschek on Alex Tanguay

Jacques Demers on the mend

Jaro meets Blues fans

You be Lou Lamoriello

1. Greg says:

Guys, watch that video and tell me that the coach you see at 2:20 isn’t Sergei Samsonov with a moustache.  Tell me with a straight face that it isn’t.  Then I’ll call you a liar.

“I lined up next to him at a faceoff, looked over and said “Hi Rocket”. All he did was growl.”

-Gordie Howe

2. Mattyleg says:

How dare he?!

So soon after Metropolit left… It’s an outrage. Just the kind of thing I’d expect from such a horrible organization! This is all Gainey’s fault!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

3. SeriousFan09 says:

What I meant, Leblanc and Kristo tear up the Q and NCAA respectively, Tinordi builds his game in London, than the trio unite in 11-12 for the Bulldogs and really put on a show.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

4. Rice Miller says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the Broons also have to find a way to dump a little over 3 million worth of salary to meet their cap quota, so maybe one or two of those players might not be there at the start of the season.

I work with Savard’s uncle and he thinks they’re trying to move him. He also says his nephew has short listed Ottawa, Toronto or Montreal as his choices of where he wants to play. I can just imagine the up roar from the ‘Allo Police’ crew, when they figure out Marc Savard doesn’t ‘parlez vous Francais’ He also says Marc is a little perturbed by their attitude towards him, especailly after he came back earlier than expected from his head injury last year.

5. mbplekfan says:

Lets give the kid some time to develop and learn about a 2-3 game a week schedule.

He has his hands full with being on the ice much more often and mental fatigue may be a factor.

One full year in junior and at least one in the AHL is in his future.

6. Storm Man says:

Funny you would bring that topic up. The Expos asked for Quebec to step up and help with a new Stadium guess it fell short on priorities that day. If Montreal would get a NFL I would move back in a heart beat. Safe to say I won’t be moving back full-time anytime soon.

The main ingredient in stardom is the rest of the team.

7. observer says:

they were 1st in conf the year before had injuries but still got as far as they did. except for kessell from year before most players are back and added some new parts. not as if they traded away their star goalie.

8. observer says:

to get his confidence back

9. observer says:

but would you say the same if it was for a stadium for the expos or a nfl team in montreal?

10. Jordio-oh says:

I was reading the hockey news predictions and noticed that Paul Bissonnette not only has a blog with THN, but he also has his twitter back again. I’m causing a commotion at work because of how hard I’m laughing at these tweets. He’s such a meathead, but his stuff is fresh.

Waste the best 30 minutes of your day right here:

11. Storm Man says:

Good to see one premier has balls. Ed Stelmach says Alberta’s priorities are Education and Health. Ed goes on to say cash for new hockey arenas should come from private sources. Harper you need to grow a set now.

12. SeriousFan09 says:

From the Twitter of notable journalist Marc-Antoine Godin, @MAGodin: “Carey Price has been practicing with an old friend’s junior team this week in BC. http://bit.ly/9VFdoX

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

13. Gil says:

Sea Dogs are going to be a really strong team this year.

I’m hoping i get to see 10 or 15 games at Harbour station.

14. SeriousFan09 says:

Disagree, proud member of the NMRP (No More Rushing Prospects) movement at Habs I/O. Leblanc’s physical training at Harvard obviously paid off (1st in physical testing at the WJ Camp) but a season in the AHL I think would be best. He and Danny Kristo (old USHL teammates with the Omaha Lancers) could unite and tear up the AHL together, they’d also likely be spending that season with Tinordi, nice team-building with the kids.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

15. Greg says:

I can’t wait until hockey news on HIO is about hockey again.

-Gordie Howe

16. HFX-HabFan says:

Interesting.  I would have put him down for number 22.

17. habs-hampton says:

He picks Boston for 2nd because “They’ve got so many talented players with something to prove – most notably, Nathan Horton, Tyler Seguin, Marc Savard, Milan Lucic and both Tim Thomas and Tuukka Rask”

Is he serious???  I have no problem with Horton and Rask or even Savard, but Thomas? Lucic? Seguin?

Give me a break.

18. Chorske says:

OMG. Maybe… if Calgary builds a Wayback Machine.

Calgary is screwed.

19. mike g says:

If he gets some bounces, and plays alot of PP time, 60 pts is possible….

70 pts is alot for a guy with absolutely zero confidence. After the 1st 20-25 games, you’ll be able to tell what type of year he will have. I wouldn’t draft him in a pool unless it’s a really deep pool with alot of teams, for the sole reason that he’s playing in Calgary.

If it was a more offensive team, I’d gamble with him.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

20. derfab says:

There is no question that Leblanc has the necessary smarts and grit for the NHL. The intensity of university hockey, with its low games to practice ratio, is underestimated as good training ground in this sense. With time to fill out physically, and the opportunity to play 25 mins. a game in junior, he could be ready to leap-frog the AHL and cause a stir next year.

21. Puck Bard says:

Commenter’s note on Tanguay:

“Easily 70 points for Tangs and 85 for Iggy in 2010-11.”

Ba-ha-ha-ha!

22. derfab says:

Language police got me. And it took a whole half-cup of coffee to write my brilliant diatribe!

23. derfab says:

I have no love for Peladeau et. al. but I think that a strictly quantified, financial perspective on this subject is, by definition, limited and unfair.

An NHL venue and club in Quebec shouldn’t be confused or compared with Walmart and McDonalds, and just might be qualitatively worth more than a symphony, ballet and arts center combined.

24. mike g says:

Yup..

St John Sea Dogs

Quebec Ramparts

Drummondville Voltigeurs (get to see Sean Couturier, best player in the Q)

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

25. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

So I am finally going to get myself out to see a Montreal Juniors game this year. Any recommendation for opponents I should see? I know almost nothing about QMJHL teams.

26. habs03 says:

Seems like Jeff Halpern will be wearing number 15 this year.

27. Praj12 says:

October 7th is so far away!! I want the HABS to beat up on the LAFFS now!!

28. Mattyleg says:

Just saw on RDS that Péladeau doesn’t want to back it.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

29. Harani says:

Been out of the loop for a while but what happene to Kovalchuk’s contract?

“It must be love!”

30. HabFanSince72 says:

La Presse has been good about exposing the fraud that a publicly financed arena would represent. Public pays owner reaps the profits. I think even in Quebec the tide might turn.

It’s amusing to see that noted small-government conservative  PK Peladeau would be the beneficiary of this public largesse.

31. SeriousFan09 says:

It’s the last of it’s kind, NHL’s bringing in new rules to limit these kinds of contracts and cap circumvention but 15 years at 100 million dollars was approved,

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

32. nickster13 says:

Nice hockey clip! skill level in the KHL is pretty solid

33. New says:

Largesse? Is that what they term an investment where the public pays, you put in a floundering team, make a bucket of money, write some off to charity and have a wing or small building named after you, sell for a huge profit, and bank the rest in the Cayman’s to avoid the taxes? Largesse…good word.

34. Mattyleg says:

…so you’re saying that you’d move back to Montreal if it became more American.

Hmm…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

35. DavidKB says:

Tom Brady get something like $70 million for a 4 year extension to his contract. Why would anyone want to play hockey?

36. G-Man says:

How much of that $70 mil is guaranteed? That’s the true value of that contract, unless Brady gets really lucky and manages to play 4 more years.

37. madcap_habsfan says:

because it’s a much better sport then football (that of course is just my opinion) :)

-”People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” Chuck Palahniuk

38. Mike Boone says:

That will be up to his O-line.

39. Mark C says:

$48.5M is guaranteed, and barring catastrophic injury, I see no reason Brady won’t play 4 more years.

40. derfab says:

Hebert explains the situation quite well. Harper will have alot of explaining to do to his puritan pilgrim base but he has to say yes to a Quebec arena or lose his 5 seats and the next election. I am a bit puzzled by her comments about Mulroney and Chretien (with the 2 biggest majorities in electoral history) not having been successful at buying votes in Quebec.

Coincidentally, Hebert also fails to note that Harper shut down parliament because he is a huge hockey fan (with several aliases on this site)who has let Stockwell Day make many of his non-hockey decisions.

41. sholi2000.com says:

Tanguay;

I was so excited to see Tanguay in a Habs jersey.  I thought for sure that by just wearing the CH that he would play on an entire different level than he had in the past.  But he didn’t.  The guy is Swiss cheese, and plays like he’s a member of the Norwegian female Hockey Team.  Sorry Alex, you are one player I could care less about.

Nice Mask Jaro, how original!!  I’ll be happy to see the Blues lose a few games so we don’t have to see your Name here anymore.  Again, thank you for your run here in Montreal.  The playoffs this past seaosn were one to remember, but you’re a Blues now.

I hope the Nordiques do come back, maybe some of the members here will go back to their team in QC so we don’t have to listen to their drivel

EDIT:  My little fella and I watched the NFL’s season opener.  For a low scoring game I thought it was really entertaining.  Matthew (9) had enough after the first half, he’s a smart kid.

Happy Friday Everyone :)

They Call Me Shane

42. derfab says:

Here’s to Lapierre running Jaro into the back of the net on his first shift!

43. HabFanSince72 says:

Actually, Alex  Tanguay was very good in Montreal. 41 points in 50 games made him our top scorer that year (in points per game – roughly equal with Kovalev, Markov and Lang).

He was also the team leader in +/- at +13 (for what its worth).

44. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

That is such a missconception when the French media says that a quebec born player will elevate his game if he plays for the Habs because “il a le c-h tatoue sur le coeur”, that is such hogwash. You can’t tell me that a player like Stve Begin, will play less hard for the Bruins than he did for the Habs, the guy has one speed his energy works on and will work as hard for any tean in the league.

45. derfab says:

These guys still can’t throw a decent body check. The goalie interference-trip on that second Dynamo goal was brutal. Gotta love that whistling babe-ushka on the lone AK marker. I think i would have to be drunk on cheap vodka to watch the rest of that game.

46. COPOKA HA KOPOBE says:

Hossa has scored for AK Bars.

47. sholi2000.com says:

Considering the division the Blues are in, there will be a lot of something in the back of the net.  ;)

They Call Me Shane

48. jimmy shaker says:

Is your middle name gracious?

Shaker

Adam Proteau does a decent job of predicting  the final standings for the Eastern Conference although I’m not too sure about Carolina this year.  Four teams appear to be a lock for making the playoffs and there’s another 3 or 4 teams who stand little chance of qualifying.  That means the Habs are battling 7 other teams for one of four remaining playoff spots.

50. Mark C says:

That was a pretty fair take of what the standings will most reasonably look like at the end of the season.  I too, cannot see the reason for all the love for Carolina.  At best they are slightly better than average on D, and in net.  However, the team was no forward depth, and outside of Staal and to some degree Jokinen, little in scoring. The projected four other members of the top six are: Ruutu, Sutter, Cole, and the Magical Muscovite. A lot will have to go right for this team to make the playoffs.

51. Mattyleg says:

Just read observer’s post below about Zubrus wanting to stay a Devil.

In toady’s salary-cap world, I have two questions for you:

1. Could a player re-negotiate a new, cheaper, contract before his current one is finished in order to stay on a team that he wants to play for?

2. Would a player do that?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

52. HabFanSince72 says:

It’s illegal as per the CBA to renegotiate a contract.

53. Mattyleg says:

Wow, that’s crazy. I wonder why that is? Who does it benefit, do you think? The players or the team?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

54. RGM says:

Guaranteed contracts have been around for many years now, and they’re unlikely to be ditched in favour of the NFL’s system. I would say that for the most part it benefits the player, which is likely why the PA would NEVER allow the League to jettison them. Look at some of the players out there that have these albatross contracts that make them unmovable and put the team into a salary cap conundrum–Brian Campbell, Rick DiPietro, Mike Komisarek are but three examples–and it’s a foregone conclusion that the team who signed the player to such an absurd deal might like to re-consider after a year or two.

—————————————– Josh Gorges for Captain!

55. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

It doesn’t benefit the players, remember when Karia and Selanne wanted to sign in Colorado for 1mil per, significantely less than their value, it had the player’s association up in arms because it devalues their worth as a whole.

56. adam76 says:

They played solid the second half of the season – toss in a healthy Cam Word, and you have the makings of a possibly “dangerous” team.

57. Mark C says:

Maybe, but they lost Whitney and Cullen (3rd and 5th on the team in scoring respectively and Cullen even got traded), no great shakes mind you, but two of their better forwards without replacing them. Outside of Staal and Jokinen (is he really as good as his numbers last year? he had a 18.8% SH%) they don’t have any above average top 6 forwards.

Maybe I’m down on the team because of Ward. IMO, Ward is a slightly better than average NHL starter, his hot run to winning the Cup has led many to think of him has one of the elite goalies, which the stats do not back up. His SV% last season had him tied for 12th in the league, and only .004% ahead of the “sucky back-up” in Montreal.

58. Storm Man says:

The team is very high on Brandon Sutter and he is a must as a sleeper pick in any hockey pool.

59. Mark C says:

He’s a nice looking young player, was never known as a high level offensive prospect until taking off last season. He’s going to need to take another large step forward to be a legit #2 center on a playoff team. Boychuk and Bowman are nice prospects too, but they’ll have to contribute a lot for this team to be good.

60. HFX-HabFan says:

With a healthy Ward and a healthy Staal, I put the ‘Canes ahead of the Rangers, probably the Bolts and maybe even the Sens.

Sutter isn’t much of a secret anymore, but watch for Jamie McBain on the back end this year.  He is a dark horse to usurp John Carlson on the All-Rookie Team (we all know Subban will have the other D spot locked up).  McBain could get 40 points running the Carolina PP.