One more sleep

And then, finally, a Canadiens game.

And while we’re waiting, the Juniors go for Gold.

Price says he’s not tired

Team hopes worst is behind them

• François Gagnon on the impact of the wizardly Wiz

• Presse Canadienne feature on P.K.

Who is Brett Festerling?

Islanders winning

Dwayne Roloson hangs a goose egg on the mighty Caps

• Damien Cox writes nice stuff about the city of Buffalo

Jacques Lemaire loved this:

axJE1dG4uxo

1. HabFab says:

Me thinks you have been “Subbanged” once too often!!

2. CHsam says:

who are the other two again?

3. PeterD says:

Si I hear you saying you are happy with this team the way it is. Maintain the status quo and even re-sign the UFA’s and RFA’s for next season…
    I don’t think that is good enough…as it sits right now a few wins for Carolina and we are out of the play-offs right now.
    AK is an RFA and will be due an atuomatic raise next year and I assume he is eligible of arbitration…if we don’t wign him he can sign an offer sheet, but at his salary and performance if he does sign for even his current salary we would get a 1st and 2nd round pick in compensation.

4. Will Longlade says:

I would try to steal Perron from St. Louis by sending AK and possibly another body or pick the other way. I don’t think Gomez is going anywhere, and what he brings to the team is underappreciated. His performance tends to be measured only in relation to his contract and nothing else. Another young Canadian d-man. AK for Brayden Schenn?

5. HabFanSince72 says:

You were arguing that their coaching was great.

The fact that they have prospects is not the result of good coaching ( the opposite in the case of Taylor Hall).

6. thorandresson says:

You’d be surprised at AK’s value, last year I thought Latendresse wasn’t worth very much and was very surprised we got Pouliot, granted he’s been a bit of a dissapointment.  He did play well after the trade and that added offense made a big difference down the stretch.

Gill is staying, besides he’s the kind of guy who only gets his legs going after december, he’s a second half/playoff player, if we’re going to make a run like last year he’s needed.

PG doesn’t have his hands tied, he has tons of cap room to work with and some decent prospect he can move. Don’t know if you heard Bob Gainey mentioning earlier this season that the Habs have at least 5 guys in Hamilton who are NHL ready (3 are currently with the Habs).

7. PeterD says:

Related to the Gomez $7.3M cap hit, the Islanders have a problem that they have only $40.8M under contract and need at least $43.4M just to come up to the league minimum cap “floor”…Gomez likes New York area, Islanders need salary and need veteran help to stabalize the larger number of young players and take pressure off Tavares…

I would like to see Gomez to Islanders for Moulson $2.4M…Would improvew both teams cap hit…raise Islanders to the cap floor and drop ours by about $5M…

8. JF says:

Agree absolutely.  I said the other day that pundits who argued that the signing of Auld would cost us a playoff berth might turn out to be right, not because Auld has been playing badly, but because the coaching staff are making it clear they have no confidence in him.  His numbers for us have been good; he had one bad period against Toronto, but otherwise has done well.  If the team did not have confidence he could play between 15 and 20 games for us and win a good percentage of those, they should not have signed him.

As you say, the real problems are failure to capitalize on scoring opportunities and defensive breakdowns.  The first in particular drives me crazy.  I flung the remote on the floor after the Colorado game, I was so angry at all the missed chances.  It seems this team has an inordinate amount of trouble scoring and wastes many more scoring chances than other teams do.  This is probably subjective, but lately I’ve been finding it incredibly frustrating to watch the Habs.

9. LA Loyalist says:

No one can play 70+ games in goal in the modern game with the flying and time zones etc., and it’s got to be discouraging playing behind a mediocre defense. Price and Markov covered up a lot of sins, without Markov the pressure is even more.

This is 100% on Count Chocula. Price needs to rest, even if he doesn’t think so, if he’s going to have a good edge for the playoffs.

10. Hobie Hansen says:

Lets not split hairs here but i didn’t say they played 70 games the year the won the cup. Making the finals, winning the cup…whatever. Price can easily play 70.

11. joeybarrie says:

First off doing any of that to Gomez will ensure no free agent signs with Montreal for at least 5-10 years. Also interesting enough, why would you do it when he is our hottest point getter? That being said, Gomez is a HUGE addition to this team, and we would be much worse off without him.

As for Eller he is already on the team.

Desharnais is a 1 in 100 chance.

Leblanc is still a work in progress. How can you kill a guys potential when he isnt even thru his first season in the AHL?

NOW, as for all 3 of these players, their cap hit is LOW, and we will have no problem signing ANY of them and fitting them in next season.

In my opinion we keep AK and try to sign him for under 3 million next season. He hasn’t lived up to his numbers and if he is willing to sign for that I will say I am all in. If not, trade him. NOW, LATER, makes no difference we wont get anything decent for him. He is not playing like a game changer and no one will be interested in picking him up for this season when they can potentially get him in July for nothing.

We will also not get a good return for Gill, and he is one of our better players. So no reason to get rid of him.

MOEN is a great player, and losing him would only hurt this team. Unless he is part of a package, why would we get rid of him?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

12. punkster says:

Grab him now before anyone notices. DO IT PG!

***Subbang!!!***

13. LA Loyalist says:

He had a serious injury, it’s not a “demotion”. I would want to do the same thing before facing NHL speed and hitting.

14. light_n_tasty says:

You mean the predecessors who won a cup in 2004?

15. LA Loyalist says:

Gomez is un-moveable until Mike Milbury gets a GM job… in other words, we are screwed until his contract expires.

I have a 1982 first growth Bordeaux I will open on that happy day.

Or maybe a miracle will happen, I guess there is always hope.

16. Mark C says:

It’s important to read the other side of the coin too. That being that Montreal has scored an average of 1.55 goals a game in the losses during the recent slump.  Including two shutouts and one one goal game out of the last 8 losses.

17. light_n_tasty says:

It’s because the ONLY difference between this team and the one that was winning in October and November is Carey Price.  He has been fine, not lights-out amazing.  Nothing else has changed.  So, when he’s not lights-out amazing, the team loses, and the glaring difference is Price.

I’m not bashing him, but he was covering the suspect defence and anemic offense earlier in the season, and is no longer able to do so.  That is why people single him out.

18. joeybarrie says:

It’s interesting, because Yzerman can send him to the AHL for 2 weeks on a conditioning assigment without putting him through waivers. So clearly they want him to play in the AHL for at least the next 6-7 games. I imagine it will be more. Also interesting is the contract is for 1 million.

Interesting moves for a team that can score fairly easily, but is scored on fairly easily as well. I don’t know if Roloson at 41 can play all their games, but I am sure Ellis is not happy about that signing.

I guess we will see what the league thinks of MAB in the next 24 hours. Cause after picked up on waivers it would cost a team less than 500k in cap space to have him.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

19. PeterD says:

I agree with moving AK, Moen and Gill before the deadline…but I think for hte longer term future of the team we need to do something about Gomez and his big contract…either buy him out and get nothing in return, demote im to Hamilton and hope he gets picked up on waivers (again nothing in return) But on re-entry waivers someone may pick him up for half his salary so taht would cut some of our cap space by on;y paying half hsi salary…but that too would suck…Finding a team with lots of cap space like the Islanders and making a player and cash offer for them to take his contract might make some sense…

By moving Gomez, we open up space for young guys like Eller, Gesharnais, LeBlanc…which needs to happen next year or we will kill these guys potetntial with the team.

20. light_n_tasty says:

Is that a bad thing or a good thing?

21. jrshabs1 says:

Agreed. #31 is not the player he was during Oct and Nov. This is his 4th season as an up and down goalie and the natives are just plain restless with his inconsistent play. I ran out of excuses for him 2 seasons ago which is why I’m baffled by the amount of mollycoddle #31 gets from the rest of the faithful.

Go Habs Go!!

22. lenny says:

get rid of AK, although I doubt you would get more then a draft pick.

Moen, he is a dime a dozen in the NHL

Gill may only be good for a team heading to the playoffs that need a vetran whos been there and done that

Gomez, no one will touch his contract

all in all hands a re pretty tied

shed the old and let the guys from hamilton take over

23. jrshabs1 says:

Now that he’s healthy and “off the shelf”and ready to resume his carrer as a pp specialist.

Go Habs Go!!

24. lenny says:

yes, the same one with a ton of young prospects with managable salaries that will be a powerhouse in a couple of years!

25. Jordio-oh says:

Bernie Parent played 73 games and won the Cup with the Flyers in 73-74.

Glenn Hall played 70 games and won the Cup with the Hawks in 60-61.

Terry Sawchuck played 70 games and won the Cup with the Red Wings in 51-52.

Jacques Planted played 69 games (almost 70) and won the Cup with the Habs in 59-60.

That took me 10 minutes to find out. There might even be more.

26. Exit716 says:

I’d laugh if some team scooped him up like Doug MacLean did to the Habs with Hainsey and Beauchemin.

He actually had been playing for two years. The WJC plus his regular team Tri-City Americans and then going on to Calder Cup finals and winning in them, two MVP trophies along the way. Then winning the starting job on an NHL team. He’ll yet add to his resume, Halak’s heroics notwithstanding.

The problem really isn’t Price’s game. It’s the Habs inability to capitalize on chances and prevent them from  happening. Most of the bad goals have been due to missed defensive assignments, however when you now add a few bad goals from Price into the picture, add that to can’t score and blowing coverage here and there, and then you wind up with a recipe for disaster.

Aulds numbers are respectable. This coaching staff had the Panthers’ goaltenders 2nd and 3rd over-all in save percentage when they were there. Let the percentages average out then and play Auld more. The team needs to learn to win regardless of who’s in nets IMO. My argument is that the Habs as unit and individually started cheating because of Price’s stellar play and as a result exposed Price to a higher probability of error. Sit Price not because of his play but because of the team’s play. Well I don’t mean sit. I am not arguing replace him with Auld. I am saying give Auld a more respectable work load for a back-up netminder.

Would you rather have your prize thoroughbred physically over-worked and mentally weary or chomping at the bit when the big race comes up?

28. PeterD says:

Hypotheically…Put yourself in the GM’s shoes…at this point in the and the teams continued performance…low scoring to no scoring team…aging Defense, serios cap space limitations, next years crop of RFA’s and UFA’s…what would you be looking to do bewtween now nad the trade deadline this season to improve the team?

My move would be to trim one or two of the low performing forwards (AK, Moen, Gomez,) and a older D-man (Spacek, Gill) and make a pakage trade to try and get a top line big scoring left winger or Center that has contract left so we don’t lose them right away as a Free agent this summer (Iginla, Marleau).

29. Jordio-oh says:

Pavelec is the real deal based on what?

30. HabFanSince72 says:

His save percentage during the slump was 87%.

How bad is that?

It’s worse than the worse season save % in the league (88% – Martin Broodeur).

He has not been playing OK.

31. habsruleworld says:

so true,

thanks for clarification, I missed that one obviously

32. PeterD says:

They signed MAB to a one year/two way contract.  I assume that since he has not been playing the want him on their farm team to get in shape…thus the demotion to the farm and the placing him on waivers.

33. Jordio-oh says:

Its been said before, but unless Price plays stellar, this team will lose.

Right now we’re averaging less goals per game than we did last year (and last year 22 teams scored more than we did).

In October we scored 2.63 goals per game. In November we scored 2.38 goals per game. In December we scored 2.47 goals per game.

In October Price had a 2.38 gaa. So we won games since we score more than we let in. In November Price had an outstanding 1.59 gaa so we win more games. This month Price has a 2.96 gaa so we lose more games.

My point in all of this is we just don’t score enough goals, and when our goalie suddenly isn’t playing like the best goalie in the league some of the babies on here like to blame Price. My train of thought leads me to be thankful for Price for the first two months because without him we wouldn’t be where we are. Some of the other people in here (ManApart) like to take shots at him because he isn’t winning us the games he used to. Sure, his 2.96 and and .893 in December isn’t great, but neither was Jimmy Howards 2.90 and .902. The difference is Detroit scored well over 3 goals per game in December and we weren’t even close to that.

Considering some people thought he was terrible last year, for those same people to just immediately expect him to be a top 3 goalie all year in order for us to win games shows just how ridiculous their expectations are and it just shows the rest of us how full of sh*t they really are.

34. HabFanSince72 says:

They have to in order to send him to the AHL for conditioning.

It’s a formality.

35. HabFanSince72 says:

Are these the Oilers that finished last in their conference last year, and are last again this year?

36. Omit says:

Before you go saying it was a stupid move on Gainey’s part, can you tell us why Dandenault hasn’t been able to find a spot on another team?  Is it because other GMs don’t have your insight or is it because you’re wrong?

37. habsruleworld says:

TSN reports Lightning placed MAB on waivers?

Am I missing something here? they just signed him? why place him on waivers rightn away?

38. VancouverHab says:

Have you tried eating All Bran for your breakfast?

39. Psycho29 says:

Yes he will score 15 goals, but will be responsible for 25 goals against…..not a concern.

Plus he’s coming off a knee injury…

40. rocketsglare says:

There’s nothing wrong in management finding out what Price is capable of handling. Hell, I’m sure Price too

would like to know himself.

41. lenny says:

There has been a lot of talk of the HBO series 24/7 which is awesome. But, there is also a great series on TSN called Oil change which is about the oilers organization. It is also a behind the scene look  at the oiler organization. The only bad thing about watching is it gets me depressed when I see the others teams coaches taking charge acting with enthusiasm and passion. I have never seen JM behind the scenes but from all outward appearances he doesn’t strike me as a guy with passion who can motivate a team….I wish there was something on the Habs that we can watch, but with all the red tape it would probably be pretty boring…bravo to the Pens, Caps and Oilers for allowing us to have this sneak peak

42. The Cat says:

Because Price is light years better than Pavelec in Atlanta? That sounds like hot air. Pavelec is the real deal.

43. CHsam says:

Wow. Thanks for posting. Very inspiring. Great person, great character, great athelete.

44. notbigbird says:

We are probably getting paranoid, but …

- People worry that he’s reverting.

- Some goals seem soft, whether others are partly to blame or not.

- He sure doesn’t stop many breakaways.

45. christophor says:

Even though Yzerman and Boucher are doing a good job, I think a huge factor to consider is how bad a job their predecessors did. With 3 all stars, there’s no excuse for being at the bottom of the league like they were. We’re not talking about a staff working with an average team (see Barry Trotz in Nashville).

I know some that do for sure, but they would never say or comment. That would be suicide and they have been taught not to.

47. Propwash says:

I figure it’s because he’s the last line of defense. He’s kept the Habs in alot of games even after letting in a softie or two.

There is an old saying “One oh-s*** erases a hundred ‘attaboys”. Then again, it seems a few people around here want him to fail so they can say “See, I toldya so!”

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

Tanking to get Stamkos and Hedman.

Goals against are always looked at as a team statistic anyway.

If not for price, our goals against would be solar.

I would not trade Price for any other tender in the league. Those that would, don’t have a clue, just hot air.

50. jimmy shaker says:

Nope your wrong, the only one of those 3 that played 70+ games and won a cup was Brodeur.  Hasek played 70+ with Buffalo but lost to Dallas in the finals, and Eddy played 70+ but lost to the penguins in the finals.  Hasek and Eddy won cups with Detroit and Dallas when they played in the low 60 game range.  Marty is the rare exemption to the matter.

Cheers,

SHaker

51. The Cat says:

Well if the plan was to get a backup that sucks so bad so that Price has to have 70+ starts for the team to be competitive, then thats not very smart. In fact its downright stupid.  After the past couple of years they shouldnt even be toying with this idea even if they think he can handle such a load.

52. samTHEman says:

I don’t get it. Price hasn’t necessarily been playing bad despite allowing weak goals now and then, but he hasn’t been lights out like he was earlier in the season…all this during the team’s biggest ‘slump’ thus far (note that a goalie can’t win games if the men infront of him aren’t putting the puck in the opposition net, just fyi). During a ‘slump’ if you want to call it that, I imagine that team morale is at its lowest, resulting in a general lack of team effort. My question is this: why do you Price-bashers always have to single him out? He’s part of the team, just like any forward or defensemen. Price is not the only player to have seen his game drop since the beginning of the season, yet the same fans that were shitting on Price during the off-season, and praising him after the first quarter of the season, are the same ones to jump off the bandwaggon again. It’s actually becomming pretty sickening. You know who you are. And you call yourself Canadiens fans….please

53. Jordio-oh says:

Moens hits per game since he started with the Habs is almost identical to his career hits per game. So he isn’t hitting any less now that he’s with the Habs.

But his fights have definitely decreased . Last year he fought four times, and the year before (with the ducks/sharks) he fought around 8 or 9 times.

Different culture between the Habs and Ducks, i suppose.

54. Hockey Socks says:

Can’t say something like that. Gretzky and Lemieux both scored at least 150 points regularly at some point – doesn’t mean Pavel Datsyuk is a bad player because he doesn’t.

55. christophor says:

now you’re being a deuce

56. shiram says:

Yea let Auld take us to the Cup, you selfish Price guy!

57. deuce6 says:

I have no problem with Price admitting that it isn’t fatigue that has set in, but what is it then? Contentment?

Does he feel that he doesn’t have to work as hard simply because earlier in the season he told fans to “Just Chill”? Does he feel by winning over most of the fans that he has done enough?

Here’s news for ya, kiddo…We are not settling for less..Either give your all for this team or leave…

58. Hobie Hansen says:

What about Brodeur, Hasek and Belfour they all played 70 plus games and won Stanley Cups?

59. habaholic68NJ says:

Listen up youngster.  There is nothing wrong with being 50 (or older).  Some of us have learned something about the game after watching our team win 10 stanley cups (compared to your 1).  Respect the Vets on this site or you will find yourself in the press box.

60. rocketsglare says:

There’s a reason that Auld has traveled far and wide in the NHL and besides, management wants to see

what Price is capable as a starter. Whether Price can start 70 games or not will be determined this year.

Next year will probably reflect his true potential in the number of games he will be expected to start.

61. JF says:

I think it’s clear Price is playing too many games now, and equally clear the coaching staff have little confidence in Alex Auld.  Price may struggle through the season playing 70+ games, but I think that if he doesn’t get enough rest, we’ll see the negative results (we’re already seeing them) even more in the playoffs.  The year he started with us, he had a great stretch after Huet was traded and into the first round of the playoffs, but was clearly tired in the next round.  He said afterwards that he felt as though he had been playing hockey continuously for about two years.

I think he’s stronger mentally this year than last, but if this losing streak is prolonged, the effects will become very demoralizing and it will be more difficult to pull out of it.  I was sorry he started the game on Sunday; but I’m hoping the few days between then and tomorrow’s game will have allowed him to refocus and work on the aspects of his game that have seemed a bit off lately.  If he hasn’t been able to do this, the next couple of weeks will be tough and will likely see us fall out of a playoff spot.

62. jimmy shaker says:

Easy on Dandenault……..he’d be our second best D-man on this team behind Subban if Gainey would’ve kept him.  Stupid move on his part by the way.

SHaker

63. KenD29 says:

Take a look at any goalie’s body language when they are not playing well!

And as others posted, should Price be scoring gaols too?! Pretty hard to win when you can not score a goal !

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

64. jimmy shaker says:

No tender should play 70+ games.  60 -62 games is what Carey or anyother starting tender should play with the back up tender getting the rest.  This is a good balance and was how Patty Roy played most of his career, and even less than 60 games in some seasons.

Shaker

65. The Cat says:

And some guys on the bubble like the 3rd-4th line guys probably are scared to take time off. They probably have a higher pain threshold than anybody else on the team.

66. The Cat says:

After what has went on the past couple of years, am I the only one that thinks this is nuts? Its not like Auld has been that bad.

67. RJB says:

Disgusting, who are you to suggest such a thing. The team is in a slump. Stop making such ridiculous accusations. One of the most pathetic things I have ever read on here.

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    - Bilbo Baggins

68. Mattyleg says:

And insulting.

And depressing.

And amusing.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

69. rocketsglare says:

Where definitely going to find out this season if Price has what it takes to be a 70 game starter. He may struggle

and even stumble initially, but IMO he will learn and gain invaluable experience as he continues the season and

will become better for it. I do believe Price has the potential to become a 70 game starter, especially if he has

the benefit of a solid D helping him. It sure helped Brodeur in N.J.

70. SmartDog says:

He was when he got here.  But he’s been nice-ified.  Blah blah blah… respect.. blah blah blah… fairness.  I mean these are important but the Habs have made being nice more of an art than being dominant. And it’s spilling out the sides in stupid chippy penalties.  A big hit is okay, a love tap on the heels is 2 minutes. Where did the big hits go?

——-

71. Mattyleg says:

Dunno, but five or six times is enough for me.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

72. KenD29 says:

Think some of our D have been worn down since almost the beginning of the season!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

73. SLONCOLD says:

i’m sure some have looked but i doubt they care too much. they probably find it pretty amusing

74. Mark C says:

It’s a two-way deal, MAB gets $105K while playing in the AHL, yet gets a prorated $1M while being in the NHL.

One more sleep!

Cough, please. It’s hockey season.

Training camp begins with medicals tomorrow.

Gillett passes the torch to the Molson family and their partners.

The day in Laval.

The language thing. Again.

• No captain? No problem.

Price predicts good chemistry.

Golf tournament gallery.

• From New Jersey and New York, via Four Habs Fans,  scouting reports on Brian Gionta  and Paul Mara.

The Phoenix show continues.

A Heatley deal that Bryan Murray is denying.

(Gazette photo by Pierre Obendrauf)

One more sleep

I am TOTALLY stoked for the conference finals.

And yes, the live blog will be dusted off and revived for each of the games.

I can’t promise I’ll post as frequently (or as chemical-free) as for a Canadiens game, but the old college try will be given.

It should be off-the-charts great hockey.

My sentimental choice; the Penguins. Five Quebecers (I’m a bit of a chauvinist) and a superstar who’s in the process of grabbing the 2009 playoffs by the short fuzzies.

Sidney Crosby blew my mind in the Washington series. I had never appreciated his skill set (he hasn’t been that great against the Canadiens), but Crosby’s vision, his recognition of opportunities and instant acceleration into openings. Wow!

Then add surprising strength, toughness and an absolute refusal to lose …. especially to that Other Guy. Sid the Kid is the indisputable leader of a very talented and well-coached team.

If my man Gino shows up, I don’t think Carolina has a chance.

But that’s what Mr. Always Wrong-pants thought before the Hurricanes beat Boston. I’d have bet my house (if it were paid for) that the Bruins were going to win that Game 7 – and the result proved, once again, that if I gambled on sports I’d be living in my car.

I don’t know how Carolina does it, but their success offers hope for the Canadiens. Cam Ward is the best goaltender left in the playoffs, and maybe we’ll be saying that about Carey Price one of these years.

On the other hand, Tomas Plekanec isn’t Eric Staal. But still, a no-name defence, secondary scoring from a guy they plucked off the waiver wire, 82-year-old Rod Brind’Amour, Sergei F. Samsonov … and they’re eight wins from the Cup.

Props to Paul Maurice and the great Ron Francis for having their guys prepared every night. Carolina proves what hard work, dedication and a sound, disciplined system can accomplish.

As for the west …. well, regular readers of this blog know I love the Red Wings. And I hope I’m not alone, because of you don’t like the way Detroit plays, then you don’t like hockey.

Two anecdotes say it all about the greatest organization in hockey:

Hakan Andersson scouts his native Sweden, Finland and the Czech Republic for Detroit. He’s responsible for such steals as Henrik Zetterberg (drafted 210th overall in 199) and Jonathan Ericsson (291st: THE LAST PLAYER DRAFTED in 2002).

A few years ago the Wings wanted to pay Andersson a six-figure bonus. The scout was thankful but turned it down because, Andersson explained, he made quite enough money to live well in Sweden.

Then there’s the story about Zetterberg’s first training camp. Scrimmages begin and Darren McCarty pounds the snot out of the Swedish rookie, cheap-shoting Zetterberg all over the ice.

Afterwards, McCarty apologizes, explaining that Ken Holland, Detroit’s genius GM, had instructed him to tune the kid up and see if he could handle the NHL.

There will be a fair bit of tuning up in the Detroit-Chicago series.

For one thing, it’s the Western Conference, where they don’t screw around. This is not Canadiens-Senators in a 7-5 hot dog fest.

The Blackhawks and Red Wings will play smash-mouth hockey – the kind that wins in the playoffs. And the young Hawks are awfully good at it.

You have to like Detroit to advance, but they survived a brutal war of attrition against Anaheim.

Chicago is rested – and they’re utterly fearless. A big key in the series will be goaltending, and Nikolai Khabibulin has the ability to outplay Chris Osgood.

God, I love that Jonathan Toews kid. Did he lose one single puck battle against Vancouver? An NHL captain at 21. What a horse!

Something to keep an eye on: I don’t know that Detroit will have a answer for the agitators, Ben Eager (who’s become a hockey player in Chicago) and Adam Burish. Then there’s that Dustin Byfuglien kid, who’s a cheeseburger shy of 250 but can skate and score.

It should be a great series.

Just seeing those two jerseys …