One month to go

50269_183688944393_4321896_n

RDS will telecast the Canadiens exhibition opener – against the Dallas Stars at the Bell Centre – on Sept. 20.
Fans will be able to watch seven of the team’s eight pre-season games on RDS.
The only omission is the Sept. 23 game in Ottawa.

Maybe they’re worried about Pierre Houde’s vocal cords. The game at Scotiabank Place is the Canadiens’ third in four nights.

Red rags on shootouts again

Fantasy Focus on Andrei Markov

Mitch Melnick bids his role model, Ted Tevan, adieu

The next Russian superstar?

And Dennis Kane’s video collection includes our own Patrick V. Hickey:

1. yanjiangas says:

Something unexpected surprise——Hello. My friend

[w w w }}{{jordans forking }}{{ c o m ]–[ w w w b2b jordans com ]

Dedi cated service, the new style, believing you will love it!!!

WE ACCEPT PYA PAL PAY MENT

YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!

thank you!!!

2. weiweirr says:

.http://proxy4biz。com
    Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!
    Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $30
    DG,JUICY,Lv,Gucci,Coach Hand-bag price is $35
    Polo,Locaste,Levis,EdHardy,Bape,Christan Audigier AF,COOGI Tshirt price is $12
    Jeans price is $34?Door to Door services!
    5 days arrive your home or you

3. Thomas Le Fan says:

Red may be like a broken clock but he’s still right twice a day. Nothing wrong with a hard fought tie.

4. TheChangeling says:

This place can be predictable as my next cigarette. Face it, we got Scotty G for another season. You know what? He’s gonna be damn solid in ’11-12! He knows the expectations, he admitted this past season was bunk! It’s a waste of time to continually hate him daily like this!! Keep dropping those tears in yer brandy, or look forward to this Habs team having a good shot at home ice this season! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!

5. Muckbringer says:

my brothers going through his basic training.
    please give him, and our boys some encouragement.

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”
    — John Quincy Adams

this is a birthday wish. speak up lads. all others, keep the stereotype alive

Well with the change of the kickoff rule in the NFL this year, get used to never seeing a kick returned again. Haven’t seen one yet in 3 games. Every kicker can now put it to the back or through the endzone.

7. SyntaxLove says:

Just wondering, is/are there any yahoo, or other fantasy leagues in place for HIO members?

Chinchillin’

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’d join a hockey pool if you set one up.

As you probably saw, I’m setting up a HIO fantasy football league, would love to have you join. My post is below.

———————————
      For my training camp surprise, I want the second coming of Mike McPhee. And maybe Kent Carlson.

• SyntaxLove says:

I’m going to participate in a few with friends. I’ll bring it up again once registration opens. I’m not really into football though, but thanks anyway!

Chinchillin’

• I ran an HIO hockey league on yahoo last year. We had a couple people who ended up not being very serious about it so I was hoping for some new members this year.

• SeriousFan09 says:

With the talk of the Fantasy season starting to come up, I’ve decided to form my own league this year on ESPN Fantasy. It is a Head-to-Head format, 12 teams. League name is Habs Inside/Out Memorial, password is subbang

Draft Day, Saturday, Sept. 17th at 5 PM.

I’ve found anything over 12 teams and you’re doing nothing but scrapping the barrel for any player with a pulse.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

Looks like a few fans of the Florida Panthers have found out the hard way how they plan on paying Brian Campbell’s contract down in Miami.

9. TorontoHabsFan says:

Don’t know if any one has posted this yet – but there’s an excellent column by Dave Bidini (of Rheostatics fame) in today’s National Post discussing some of the darker tendencies in hockey culture.

“There is homoeroticism and there are girls. One player used to called girls “filths.” He’s grown-up now, and he calls women “filths.” In hockey, there are fine moments of personal triumph and good guys hanging together, model citizens and fine Christian athletes who play the game – I’ve met them. They exist. They are among the best of men. But “filths” and sodomy are part of the culture, too. So let’s talk about it, let’s acknowledge it. Let’s discuss whether this is good for young men, and whether any of what happens to a player in the midst of their career – or in their post-career – is tied to this kind of behaviour: the sadness, the darkness, the addiction, the depression. I have no idea whether any of this had anything to do with what happened to Derek Boogaard or Rick Rypien; still, how many stories about dead hockey players do we have to tell before they stop dying?”

• HabFab says:

Unfortunately hazing has been around in sporting and the military for a long time. Large steps have been taken over the last couple decades to address but no doubt it still exists.

• Everlasting1 says:

Darcy Tucker is an ‘out’spoken staunch supporter.

——————————————————————-
        “God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment: “How long will you judge unjustly and show partiality to the wicked? Psalms 82:1-2

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

One of the strange things in sports indeed. While I managed to get to a fairly high level of sport in basketball (University) our rookie initiations surrounded around carrying equipment picking up basketballs after practise etc… I have never understood why some sports, hockey in particular took this hazing thing to such high degree. Unfortunately, a certain former coach who gets listened to every week downplays these stories as exceptions and that we don’t understand hockey like he does and the players do.

• HabFab says:

Hockey and football would probably be the worse, probably due to being more physical contact sports.

Then I can only imagine the hazing done in Aussie Rules Football!

• HabFab says:

Thought of them and rugby after I hit the submit button.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Big reason for hazing and initiations is that the current members have all gone through it, so they view it as their turn for payback, they get to do to the rookies what was done to them. And some take it a shade further, and so on. It takes a courageous coach and team management to step in and put an end to it, but after a couple of years the battle is won.

I’ve been through a few initiations for hockey, football and rugby, as well as in a fire department. I enjoyed them all, even when I was being initiated, I went in with the attitude that they wouldn’t kill me, and they deep down really wanted me to succeed and be a productive member of the team, so I had trust. Later on, to read what is going on in minor hockey and in the military, I wouldn’t have had the same confidence in those settings.

———————————

Thanks for the link, interesting read.

• The Cat says:

Ive heard some stories I tell you, often retold with laughter, and honestly it aint funny, its just sick…Canadians as a whole worship hockey players too much -bottomline is theyre not exactly splitting the atom. Some of the least well rounded people I know are hockey players, they know little else it seems, and that has to change with the importance given to their schooling and all. Making big money doesnt have to be the only end game.

• New says:

That’s a pretty cool writer, discussing what may or may not have been in the minds of guys now passed away. Throwing in his own sense of deep, dark, foreboding as he walks the streets of life alone in his depression. Chucking in a couple stories about players he knows but whose names he has forgotten. Then toss in Doug Harvey’s name and smear him with the same brush.

You stay classy there National Post.

10. punkster says:

Look, call me old school but I never liked the weeny 5 minute OT or the shootout. You lose, you lose, no points for you.

As for this new Bear Hug Rule does the league really believe this thing has some value? I have a few suggestions these bozos should also consider.

- Skunk Bomb Rule (drive the opponents head between your legs and pass gas in his face)
    - Porcupine Shiv Rule (stab an opponent repeatedly with sharp objects)
    - Python Squeeze Rule (wrap your arms around an opponent and squeeze him until he passes out)
    - Elephant Trumpeting Rule (scream in a loud and annoying fashion directly in your opponent’s ear)
    - Doggy Style Rule (mount an opponent in an undignified fashion)

Come on Buttman, Animal Equality is a pressing and important issue. Don’t ignore the rest of the animal kingdom.

(Oh Lordy, Lordy…30 days to go and nothing but drivel on the tube tonight)

***Subbang Baby!!!***

11. HabFab says:

Don’t think Koci is the answer.

A hockey fight with over 1,000,000 views, don’t think fighting will be gone soon!

This guy has been mentioned as a possibility.

12. Un Canadien errant says:

HIO Fantasy Football League alert:

A couple weeks back when the NFL lockout was about to be resolved, I floated the idea of forming a HIO members fantasy football league. I got some positive responses, so we are going to go ahead with the idea. So far we have four teams, with Rabib, Rick, Gerald Dueck and me.

We will use CBS Sportsline’s service, mainly because I’m familiar with it and find it superior to ESPN’s, SI’s, Facebook’s or Yahoo’s games, although I can be convinced otherwise.

The league will consist of twelve teams, so if we could get twelve HIO members to join that would be great. If we don’t get twelve the league will get filled in by outsiders, but that is less than ideal since some of these last-minute joiners tend to stop playing after a week or two.

We’ll use a format with 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K and 1 DST active per game, and with five more players on the bench. Other rules and details can be had by visiting the link below.

If you are interested please reply to this post and I will keep track. Once we hit about six or so I will set up the league online and we can get ready for a draft. When you reply please let me know what day and time you would prefer for the online draft, we’ll try to get one that works for those North, South, East aaaaaaand West of the Pecos.

13. ProHabs says:

How come Boone can’t find a good picture of Hal Gill but in his collection he can find this nice picture of Pierre Houde. Very bizarre.

I think if he was going to talk about RDS in this post he could of at least found a picture of Chantel Macabee.

So, what are the chances I can get tickets for the Laffs game on the Oct 22?

15. Dunboyne Mike says:

Keep wondering about Sid’s future. Found this on NFL and concussion, Jim Mahon currently the best-known of a group of former players taking an action against the NFL.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Saw this a few days back on Canoe or some such portal and wondered what sort of a ripple effect the outcome might have on hockey. I do not follow any football, but given that they are actually tracing brain trauma to repeatedly heading soccer balls it makes me wonder about hockey. Our sport actually stands a chance of being played from the shoulders down without severe impact to what we are currently seeing …. football and soccer are screwed.

16. SeriousFan09 says:

I always hate the blanket ‘these teams had more man-games lost to injury’ argument. It is about the quality of the players lost. A 4th liner who misses 76 games means next to nothing. Markov and Gorges being out is somewhat significant to MTL’s success and last year we did not have the depth to take serious injury well. This year we look to be in better shape for it.

Also MTL was in the top 5 for Regulation/OT wins last season in the East. With the improved depth and scoring, that could easily flip this team to a NE title.

• Timo says:

I wonder what would happen if Gomez missed 82 games to injury? Would that put Habs in a better or worse position?

• patience is a virtue says:

I wonder what Timo and others who fairly consistently look for the empty half of the glass will do if Gomer has a bounce back year and scores 65 points, the Habs finish in 3rd in the East with 106 and go the SCF, and JM is a runner up for the Jack Adams.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I agree, no matter what the stats show, the most affected team last year was Pittsburgh, who lost arguably the two best players in the world for the season.

We took it on the chin losing Mr. Markov and Mr. Gorges, but it does seem that every year we complain about injuries to the team. Maybe we’re whiners, or maybe it’s just an illustration of the lack of depth in the organization, there’s no Larry Robinson to pluck from the farm team when a Terry Harper goes down.

Another point raised often when comparing the playoff Bruins to the playoff Canadiens is that the Bruins were just as affected by key injuries, having lost Marc Savard. I disagree with that one, since losing him to injury saved them from salary-cap trouble. If you remember last summer, the chatter was that Tim Thomas would have to be traded to clear cap-space, since no team could afford an expensive backup like him. Also, the Bruins had been trying to trade Mr. Savard for a while before he got hurt to relieve themselves of his contract. While regrettable, his concussion forestalled what would have been a salary dump for prospects from the Bruins. Had he been healthy, they might have had Tuukka Rask in nets and a logjam at centre with Krejci, Bergeron, Sequin and Savard.

———————————

17. Un Canadien errant says:

A while back I did some research on Ben Maxwell and Milan Lucic to see how they were ranked coming into the draft. Doing so I stumbled across a Ryan White writeup, wherein he was described as a high-energy player whose coach trusted him to play center in pressure situations and always seemed to be around the puck. It was an eye-opener for me, but what really surprised me was the fact that he was ranked the #7 prospect in the WHL, higher than both Mr Maxwell (#12) and Mr. Lucic (#14).

The writeup did state that despite winning most battles, Ryan was not an ideal physical specimen, and needed to dedicate himself to his conditioning. According to the article on Canadiens.com, this is no longer a concern. So it’s refreshing that apparently he’s one of the kids who gets it, as opposed to Benoit Pouliot, and it shows that there is hope for someone like Ian Schultz, who apparently is not well-conditioned. Mr. White’s success story is also refreshing in light of the torrent of negative comments from posters who castigate Canadiens’ management for poor asset management and development.

This is a clear steal for our club. Here is a player who showed character and produced in junior, but who ‘fell’ in the draft, maybe after a poor showing at the combine. Having to parade shirtless before scouts may not have helped his stock, but we were lucky to scoop him in the third round. Good work by our scouting staff on that one, it kind of reduces the sting of David Fischer and Ben Maxwell being drafted in the first and second rounds.

One thing which worries me is that a lot of posters here in the HIO community, who may reflect the average Montreal fan to some degree, seem to stress the importance of Ryan’s pugilistic prowess above all else. In light of his performance in Calgary and Hamilton, I think we should consider him to be more of a Mario Tremblay type of player, one who will hit and go into the corners and show character and passion and pot a timely goal, instead of reducing the expectations to him being a cruiserweight.

———————————

18. Gionta knew what Chara was like before the Patches hit. Watch how Chara acts like a douche and sticks his finger into Gio’s ear socket.

19. HabFab says:

Here is another Subban video…

What!! I did say another! Ontario Champ and went 5th overall in OHL draft this season.

Serious, how would you like to add this to our brother’s act?

20. adamkennelly says:

Question-

I live in the States – and was wanting to set myself up with Bell Express Vue – I have heard stories of it working – anyone know, have any details they could share? I am actually traveling home to MTL tomorrow and was thinking of buying the required gear and shipping it back to the States. I have family in MTL I can use for billing purpopses – anyone know if this actually works. would love to get Habs games on home feeds in HD instead of the crap I am subjected to on Center Ice.

Some optimists here would say that if the Habs can stay healthy they’ll be in the top 10 in the league in scoring. I’d like to counter that if the Habs can be in the top 10 in the league in scoring they’ll stay healthy.

• HabFab says:

Sounds like 6 or half a dozen BUT I hear ya!

• GrimJim says:

You do realize that Vancouver led the league in scoring last year yet had more than 100 more man-games lost to injury than Montreal, right? In fact, of the 10 teams with the highest man-games lost to injury (none of them Mtl, BTW), six had a higher goals/game average than Mtl.

• Timo says:

You are not saying this has anything to do with coaching, are you? Well, are you?

• HardHabits says:

Stop confusing me with facts.

That’s why I float trial balloons. They make easy targets and get shot down easily. I gotta do something to raise morale here.

But seriously. The ‘Nucks were explosive in the goal scoring department but also played a good defensive game. They scored the most goals last season but also let in the least. That is probably why they were in the infirmary too.

The Habs don’t need to be tops in any category. Just top 10 in the following; PK, PP, goals for and goals against, and not be top 10 in penalties taken but be top 10 in fewest taken. I would also like to see the Habs, as somebody here has suggested, use their speed to avoid hits. And by playing a high octane game of keep away score goals and stay out of the box and the infirmary.

If the power play starts clicking early you know teams are going to not want to take penalties against the Habs.

However. The Habs really need to improve on their discipline. The amount of lazy penalties they take belies chinks in the JM system’s armour.

• Everlasting1 says:

Though St. Louis is only 7th on the list, I would argue they sustained the costliest man-games lost, other than Pitts. of course.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• dude why do you post here

i mean seriously

why?

im not saying you cant, because thats what your assuming im asking when i ask you why, because yes its a free world and i have no problems with you posting here, so with that all said

why

why do you post here?

• Everlasting1 says:

For the same reason you do.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Bill J says:

Crosseyed posts her cuz he’s a Habs fan, I doubt you post for the same reason he does.

If you want a days count till Habs hockey, I recommend this as your home page: http://bit.ly/mTnegr

22. naweed235 says:

So on a quiet Saturday to beat the dead line up horse, Here is my starting lines for this season:

Kostitsyn – Plekanec – Cammaleri
    Cole – Gomez – Gionta
    Pacioretty – Desharnais – Eller
    Moen – White – Darche
    /Trotter/

Markov – Georges
    Gill – Subban
    Webber – Yemellin
    /Spacek/

Reasons for the Pacioretty placement:
    1- As much people want him to be our top power-forward, he is still coming back from a serious injury and I am sure it will take some time before he will be back to the top shape we saw him in, before the Apeman incident
    2- When he was called up last year, he associated most of his success in the minors with Desharnais and I am sure he would not mind playing on his wing on the third line who has offensive responsibilities.
    3- This will also keep our Belorussian Princess happy for a while at least :)
    4- I have a feeling a USA line made of veterans like Gio gomez and Cole can make some noise!

I like that combination to start year. I can see JM keeping it that way at least until the first commercial break in Game 1!

You make a valid point regarding Max-Pac/DD. As I recall his quote was something like DD is the best player he had ever played on a line with. (I paraphrase)

I miss the days of great lines have nicknames. Lots of options for that All-American line.

ATM Line as #1 is a great moniker. Money in the bank!

• naweed235 says:

yup I remember that quote too… I think these combos can provide a well balanced offense and each line has good back checkers…. only problem I see with it is the fact that Eller showed better things playing center rather than Wing… Maybe Eller and DD can switch spots …. I remember DD was brilliant when playing with Gomez and Gio on the wing for that short period of time in playoffs… you know before he got injured

• Nice line combinations

*gently strokes beard and nods with interest*

• jo_maka says:

Been saying this for the whole offseason.

The ATM is golden, they carried the Habs for most of the 1st half of the season

That Yankee line was an Olympic official one (’06), for those wondering about Cole’s chemistry with anybody in there

The young guns with DD on the wing, Eller at the C, easing Patch back, developing some nice groove between the franchise’s future faces

Just enough ice-time and we’re good to go
      _________________________________
      Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

23. Chris79 says:

Milbury takes advantage that there is no one in the english Broadcast Tele that defends the Habs.. until then.. this will never stop. him and what’s his Face..Cherry. so openly hating the Montreal Canadiens on National Television. Montreal Canadiens seriously need an English Broadcast of *all* the Games. not just a few.

Yup and that moron that used used to open and close the gate in Pittsburgh for Lemieux and Jagr won’t stand up to him either, be it on NBC or TSN. Oh I am going to miss that Jarhead MacGuire NOT!

24. Tony McLean says:

Milbury on HNIC is more offensive than Duceppe on CBC.
    ——————————————–
    Do you think Toe Blake or Scotty Bowman would have let the Bruins get away with it?

• Mattyleg says:

Uhh… about your tagline:
      What exactly would those two coaches have done to the Bruins?
      And what is ‘it’? Win the Stanley Cup?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Matty many of us have posed that same question. I wish you the best in finding answers to this question.

Edit: I am thinking Scotty’s answer may have had something to do with his bucket of ice he chewed on behind the bench. Perhaps he would have told Yvon Lambert to go stuff a bunch of the ice cubes down chara’s hockey pants. Having not watched Toe Blake coach I can’t answer. However, John Bellyfull had promised that he was going to provide the reasoning behind the Big Toe getting that nickname. Perhaps the answer will be found in his sure to be brilliant explanation.

• Mc says:

To answer the trivia question, Toe Blake’s younger sister couldn’t pronounce his given name, Hector, when she was learning to talk and it came out as Hectoe, and got shortenned to Toe……(yes, I’m old enough to have heard this in an interview Blake did while he was still coaching…..)

25. HabsFanInTampa says:

Concerning the OT and shootout debate. I’d love to see one TEN minute overtime period with a 4-on-4 format. The winner gets two points and the loser 0 points. If the OT period ends in a tie, both teams get 1 point each. Very simple. What do you guys and gals think?

• Un Canadien errant says:

My preference would be 3 points for a win, 2 for an OT win and 1 for OT loss. This assuages those who believe they should get 1 point for earning a tie after 60 minutes, and ensures that teams won’t coast at the end of regulation to ensure their 1 point, they’re going to shoot for the three points.

If there are no ties, and teams are going to win either 2 or 0 points, and no 1 points awarded for anything, then why even bother awarding 2 for a win? It might as well be 1 point for a win, 0 for a loss.

———————————

Agreed, we have already bastardized the old records with the current point system, at least in making 3Points for wins, there is a proper reward happening. The reason points will stay the same is the current point system keeps many teams in the playoff hunt.
        Good for the Rangers, Leafs of the league!

• HardHabits says:

The reason for the current point system is that it makes it look like every team has a winning record. People say 32-27-10 is 5 games over .500 when it is in fact 5 games under. But in the standings, awarding the loser point skewers perception. It also keeps the standings closer and it leaves the play-off picture unsettled until the last day of the regular season.

26. SmartDog says:

Milbury is a moron.

Worse than Cherry at his worst. Nothing else to say.

*****WARNING: Testing out new dog icons for the coming season. *****

To get your Hab’s juices going, watch this. From L. Sparky!

28. JD_ says:

“You’re gone! 7-9-O!

Somethin’ tells me Pierre Houde’s new sidekick, Marc Denis, ain’t gonna be no Ted Tevan. I’m even willin’ to bet dollars-to-doughnuts that RDS viewers are gonna start missin’ ol’ Benoit pretty early on, as improbable as that seems. Denis seems like a nice enough guy, but comes across like a charisma-challenged GooberDrip™ on the boob tube.

The $129 off-the-rack Tip Top special and the wore-it-to-his-high-school-prom tie doesn’t help. Wouldn’t be half-surprised to see him wearin’ the cheesy one with the piano keyboard runnin’ the length at some point this season. And, fer eff’s sake, someone straighten out the knot. This isn’t a repressed English prep school, you’re on teebee, man.

Lame move by RDS. I’m half-convinced Houde won’t vet the hirin’ of any colour guy that might be an even remote threat to him.

But, that’s just me.

Wouldn’t worry too much about the fate of the shootout. Seems to me the tiebreaker rule change last year – i.e., points earned in shootout victories are no longer included – kinda rang the death knell on that front. I fully expect the OT format will eventually be finessed enough to render the shootout virtually unnecessary.

[This space reserved for insertion of your favourite line combo suggestions.]

‘Member when White trashed Boychuk for tryin’ to cap Soobs? That was awesome.

So, this Sens fan who was yappin’ about Soobs last weekend said that he and Soobie-Doo had a run-in. Apparently, Poindexter Bentley was standin’ in front of this guy in line for a golf tournie buffet. PK then stepped out of line to talk to some friend and the guy moved up to fill the void. When PK was done, he turned around, noticed the closed gap, and walked back to the end of the line.

Wow! Ali-Frazier gots nothin’ on that smackdown, man.

What an uppity bag of arrogant shiznat that PK is, what with bein’ all polite like that and not in any way bein’ even slightly confrontational with an Average Joe.

Kid’s got a lot to learn.

Seems the Battle of Ontario is now for the title of douchiest fans in the league.

29. 1010 says:

So Milbury is calling out a member of the media for a statement he made regarding a player that suffered a broken neck. Good stuff Mikey. I can only assume he’s called out the moron Jack Edwards for his insane opinions that accompany every game the idiot announces.
    Yeah right.
    Boston media must be like their hockey team, professional to the the end… in Mikey’s world.

GO HABS…

30. SmartDog says:

Everyone loves White, and rightly so.

But White not only shows what having a more physical team does – which is make space and rattle the other team and shake loose pucks – but he also shows WHY we need a more physical presence.

Guys like White play with an edge and get into scraps, which is their job. But what happens when White pisses off Lucic? Or another big monster? Who steps in when WHITE is in trouble? On this team – no-one. And that’s the problem. Last play-offs we had Paul Mara at least, and Mara did stick his face in everyone’s business when White (or some other smaller dude) got in a bit too deep. But we’ve no Mara to stand behind White this year. And we need one. It’s not a “fighter” that we need. It’s a big scary dude with enough attitude that guys won’t want to tangle. I worry for White this year if all he has to back him up is Moen and Gill.

*****WARNING: Testing out new dog icons for the coming season. *****

31. Chrisadiens says:

That video really is unwatchable. I need one of those sea sickness patches now.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

We do have a contending team this year folks. Like Hickey say’s, we have speed and finesse to burn. We have become a litter bigger and tougher over the last two years. Not as big as some people think we need.

But I think the coaching might differ this year slightly.

I think the style and approach of coaching this year, is still up in the air somewhat with Kirk gone and Cunneyworth now in Montreal.

Who now will set up and coach special teams, (PP & PK also a very critical play, face offs.? Perne or Cunneyworth.?

Another point about our very defensive structure is that this style of 5 up and 5 back is very effective at keeping the best opposition to the outside and away from the better shooting lanes. It is also responsible for many of our injuries as well.

Defending your zone and blocking shots is much more dangerous to the health of the team than it is playing with the puck.

So I was just wondering how you might see the coaching shift slightly this year.
    Any comments.?

• HardHabits says:

Thank you for saying what I’ve been saying as well.

I’d rather the Habs run and gun it during the regular season and lock it down come play-off time.

Limping into the play-offs is like begging for a mercy killing.

• Ian Cobb says:

I don’t know if I want them to run and gun it as you say. But we can now open it up a little more for sure.

• HardHabits says:

I am not necessarily saying open up to the point of letting in a plethora of goals but I am suggesting that a good offence is a best defence. If the Habs have the puck in their possession they wont need to always block shots and defend the zone.

What I am also hinting at is that by playing a more offence oriented style during the regular season, or opening it up a bit as you say, possibly the Habs can stay out of the IR, and then come play-off time the team can lock it down and go into play-off shut down mode with fresh bodies to absorb bumps and bruises as opposed to players who are already banged up, all with the added benefit of a team waltzing into the play-offs with a lot of confidence from having scored plenty of goals during the regular season.

• SeriousFan09 says:

I will guess that Cunneyworth fills in a lot of the duties held by Muller and with Ladoucer coming on board as well we’re going to have a very good system for personal coaching with the players. Those two took the Dogs last year, missing Subban, missing Weber for most of the year than having Pacioretty and Desharnais taken away but still, a Division Title and a Conference Finals appearance (and a lost Game 7 the Refs jobbed them on).

Habs may get more aggressive this year, going “Three Lines Deep” with the offence will certainly give JM more options and not have to resort to throwing Moen or Darche onto a Top-6 line at the very least.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

33. t1tan5 says:

I think that’s one of the lowest quality Youtube videos I have ever seen. If you want to take a video of a TV screen, at least try to keep the camera steady.

34. New says:

Add one more vote to Red’s ban the shootout quest. Why should you get 1 point for losing? You lose every game in the season in overtime and get in the playoffs with 81 points?
    I think they should name the new turnbuckles the MaxImpac post protector. Now Chara will have to accidently aim people towards the gates on line changes.

35. Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey, maybe a bit of a soft example of “ripping”, but interesting to see and bring it back. I can’t actually watch the hit any more, so different is my take on it from the league’s. Chara brought his arm up so there was nowhere for Max’s head to go.

I actually don’t believe this singles Chara out as an exceptionally evil player – the red mist will descend in big games in big rivalries. But how the act could go unpunished is completely sickening.

And Pat! Better to have 5 times as much brain as Milbury than to have played half as much hockey!

• derfab says:

Well said. I am concerned about Pacioretty having a hard time getting past this emotionally. It didn`t happen to me or my team mate but all I can envision myself thinking about, if I were him, is how to do Chara some serious harm at some or any opportune moment.

Tiger Woods – his improbable decline continues. How the mighty have fallen. The lesson being that no star is bigger than the game he plays, whether it be golf, baseball, football or hockey.

• is that the lesson you got out of it? mine would be “if your an @sshole, dont get married!”

• punkster says:

Seriously Steve, and ignoring the snide comments that any Tiger discussion now generates, of any golfer on the tour isn’t he the one most capable of a comeback? The one you would really enjoy seeing back at the top of his game? The guy has incredible talent and he’s chasing Jack’s records. I hope he can get there.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Bill J says:

Tiger is to Golf as Crosby is to Hockey, like em or not. Most of us want them back at the level they used to be.

• 24 Cups says:

Dave – I think it really comes down to how well his knee and back holds up. Mentally, Tiger is probably totally recovered from any emotional trauma he might have endured. With his history, I don’t think it’s a huge leap. More a case of getting caught rather than being remorseful.

He will be 36 next season. If he wins a major every six attempts, it means he will tie Jack by the age of 42. Can he win a major after 42? For sure. If he does that, he will still go down in history as the greatest golfer of all time. If he can’t beat Jack’s records, then he will be judged as a flawed and tragic figure who threw it all away.

• punkster says:

Good point regarding his mental state. That’s why I think if anyone can pull off a comeback it’s this guy. Because his head is so focused on that goal he has the ability to will his body to follow through. Not that he can magically cure any ailments but he, above most other golfers, can adapt his swing to compensate if required.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

I would argue his mental state is the single largest problem he has. The fact he can hit hundreds of drives on the practise tee straight and cannot find a fairway in competition is mental. He no longer is making 10 foot putts for par routinely.

He is now on his 3rd swing change, and even though Sean Foley hails from the same Burlington I live in, I no longer think it matters who coaches him.

While his knee, achilles, etc… maybe aching, he no longer has the field intimidated and I think that has more to do with his own mental state of game than anything else.

And by the way, i am quite happy to watch the next batch of young golfers take over.

37. Neutral says:

I hope when the regular season comes to an end in 2012 PG has put together a team that will compete in the final game of the playoffs for the cup less than that it’s just another season….

Eric Fehr (now with the Winnipeg Jets) will miss the first six weeks of the season after recent shoulder surgery. You have to wonder if this guy will ever break through to a higher level.

Chris Drury retires at age 35. I guess his knee just can’t take the punishment anymore. Too bad, he would have been a perfect fir for our 4th line.

$50M over 12 seasons including his buyout (which is under review). Which proves timing is everything in the NHL. He won a Cup as well as two silver medals. Captained two teams and as well as winning the Baker and Calder trophies. Always there when his team needed a vital goal.

40. HabFab says:

YIPEEEE!!!
    One month from today we can watch a hockey game.

41. centre hice says:

Hey! Where’s EOTP #11?

42. 24moreCups says:

Hockey makes summer less fun then it used to be haha
    Just want it to start already!

Very good point. Why am I hoping the beautiful summer of Canada comes to end soon? Because I love the Habs, oh boy, I need to get a life, in the meantime Drop the Freaking Puck!

• 24 Cups says:

Gerald – Funny, I see it the opposite way. The NHL schedule is way too long and the playoffs are a marathon that should never go one day past the Victoria Day long weekend. Kids going to hockey schools and camps in the summer is a joke. Let them play other sports and just enjoy being a kid goofing away an outdoor summer. As for me, A home opener right after Thanksgiving would be perfect.

Well my comment is partially true. I am anxious like crazy for the Season to start, but more so than this year than past due to my belief our team will be highly competitive.

As for kids playing other sports, I cannot agree with you more. I really believe the over specializing of sports at young ages is a detriment to the game. Playing the same sport 12 months a year I believe not only saps the passion of the sport from kids, but also limits the development of the kids. Playing soccer or lacrosse in the offseason for hockey players is a great way to continue conditioning plus develop athleticism in other ways which can help the hockey player.

• 24 Cups says:

“due to my belief our team will be highly competitive.” Here’s five reasons for optimism.

- Markov and Cole full time. (I realize they are both injury prone, but why dwell on that in August?)

- Subban and Price have another year of experience. Getting ready to take on the role of being building blocks.

- Gomez has to be better (not being sarcastic, just realistic).

- MaxPac, Eller and DD just might give us some more pop in terms of offensive production. We don’t have a true #1 line so three balanced lines just might be an alternative.

- Yemelin and White are rookies that address a glaring need.

24cups – must you put such logical reasons for optimism together? Haha, it is a promising season. Add to that the fact Mr. Shanahan will now provide video evidence of Jeremy Jacobs handing envelopes of cash to Mr. Bettman, Mr. Campbell and Mr. Shanahan and now we will have complete transparacy in this league!