One man’s view: Koivu for Jokinen

And Ken Campbell of The Hockey News explains why this trade would put the Canadiens over the top in their bid for a run at the Stanley Cup.

1. Stephen York says:

I’ll have to disagree with you here, REB.

Streit is an integral part of the Habs power play; he’s our quarterback. He’s a big part of the reason we don’t miss Souray very much.

If Ryder is back for real, do we really need another forward??

I like the team the way it is (save for Smokes and Breeze-By)…and I think we can go all the way with this lineup.

2. arcosenate says:

I saw Macphee last summer in St. Peter’s, CB, we were at place called MacBouch for the best club sandwiches in the world. My sister’s son is 7, lives in Quebec City and is a HUGE Habs fan, should have got an autograph for him. He couldn’t believe that someone who played for the Habs would be having lunch in such a small place! Anyway, MacInnis was one of my favourites too, except for the year he won the Conn Smythe! Enjoy the game tonight, I can’t wait for to see the ceremony.

3. Ed says:

He was a good player too. MacInnis was fantastic, and our son’s favourite player when he played with Calgary.

4. arcosenate says:

i use it. because we find it funny. yes, he’s from port hood. mike macphee is from cape breton too.

5. Ed says:

Or you might be flogged.

6. B says:

Are you trying to tell us “if you don’t like it, don’t read it” or “if you don’t like it then don’t comment”? I actually read something first before deciding if I like it or not, so it is kind of difficult for me to not read articles I don’t like or disagree with. As for commenting, I don’t do that very often so I may not be up on the rules for it.

It does not seem that HIO needs to “press nerves” in order to get readers and replies. I can see where some folks might see it as gratuitous trolling and don’t blame them for hoping this site is above that kind of easy stuff. Oh well, it’s not a big deal (certainly not hell breaking loose or anything like that).

7. Ed says:

OK, I accept your explanation. As for Cape Bretoners, I have never heard that line, and I sure would not use it. Cape Bretoners are generally very friendly, hard working people, who mostly have had to carve out a living under very difficult circumstances. Isn’t Al Macinnis from Cape Breton?

8. Ed says:

OK, you are a senator from the old Roman Empire. So what does that have to do with Ryder, and a Russell Sprout from Newfoundland? Is it supposed to be some kind of dig at Ryder and Newfoundlanders? You should clarify why you use them both in the same sentence.

9. arcosenate says:

I’m actually Roman…

“I am glad that you are much more tolerant than some of us.”
    -Ed

You shouldn’t call people vegetables…

10. habsguy says:

LOL…your welcome dave. I always enjoy your well thought out posts..keep up the good work…:-)

11. Moey says:

In all due respect 24, what is the title of this thread? There are other threads about BG’s retirement tonight.

12. Dave Stubbs says:

Folks, I don’t take any of this personally. If I did, I’d be typing these words in a room with padded walls. I know some of the things we post here touch nerves; that’s what being a Canadiens fan is all about. Our hope is only that readers here enjoy the variety of what’s being served up. Just push the brussels sprouts to the other side of the plate!

And I’m in total agreement that we all enjoy this special night for Bob Gainey. There’ll be more games next week, and the week after that. The Canadiens tonight will honour a gentleman who for many years was – and to many, still is – the heart and soul of the organization. I hope fans at the Bell Centre tonight save the trouble of hoisting his banner to the roof, and instead bring the roof down to his banner.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

13. Josh says:

Koivu isn’t going anywhere.

14. nightmare_49 says:

Nice post , the trouble with the Jokinen deal is that GM Martin needs established players in return as he has 7 players on the IR and must make the playoffs or he might be gone and prospects and picks won’t get him there. The Saku deal is rubbish.

15. Moey says:

You’re so eloquent Dave, that’s why you’re the professional and I’m just the frustrated poster that would have been flagged trying to convey the same message.

The funny thing is, it was a sensible viewpoint for a speculation. I saw nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

Sorry Dave, I went off in error.

17. Lafrich says:

Hey Dave,

Don’t let the few idiots even phase you for a second. This site is AWESOME! I don’t even bother checking the Gazette or TSN for articles anymore. Anything worthwhile will be pointed out here! I love reading your posts, all the links and pics, and Boone’s insight.

Great link, and keep’em coming.

That is why I was Exited to get on here to read about also 24, and I was hit with trading our Captain. But all is fair in love and war. Ian

Chuck v and Moey, Thanks for setting me streight, sorry Dave I’m a little over protective at times.

20. von says:

I know myself and I’m sure alot of other fans enjoy reading these articles. This site truely is “Absolutely everything about the Montreal Canadiens.”

Thanks Dave and co.

21. von says:

Man, Jokinen would be sweet… But I would cry to see Koivu go :(

22. habsguy says:

YA YA YA …I bet you are one of the MANY who boo’ed Ribs out of town..LOLOLOL…

23. Dave Stubbs says:

It is kind of funny, how visitors to our site link in their comments to all kinds of sites, and to blogs which are written by themselves or by others, many of them featuring outrageous points of view, mindless rumours and nonsense that’s hip-deep. But one link here to one writer’s viewpoint and all hell breaks loose and we’re torched for linking to it.

We do advertise this site, a little immodestly, as “Absolutely everything about the Montreal Canadiens.” If you don’t like a post, please, just skip it?

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

24. king ddd says:

LECAVALIER SHOULD BE HAB! THATS IT THATS ALL! I SAY TRADE ANY ONE EXCEPT PLEKS, 2 KOSTYS, KOVY, KOMISAREK, MARKOV STRIET, O’BYRNE & GEORGES….. & PLEASE I HOPE GAINEY DOESNT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE AS HE DID WITH RIBEIRO BY TRADING RYDER..

The Habs and their fans have lots of time off before the trade deadline on Tuesday to dialogue back and forth about possible trades. Today is Bob Gainey’s day and I feel we should focus on that – as well as defeating Columbus tonight.

The Original 24 Cups

26. habsguy says:

On a happier note..I was handed “for free” tickets to the Habs Laffs game March 29th at the ACC..

27. habsguy says:

WOW, with all the trade talk that goes on here after a loss, I don’t think Mr Stubbs thought his little “what if” would cause such a commotion…
    Think back a week guys, when Captain K’s line wasn’t scoring, 90% of the posters here wanted to give Saku away for a bag of pucks…..how fickel Hab fans are, worse than the leaf fans…..

28. usversusthem says:

What? Maybe I’m a little out of it, but his proposed trade of

Jokinen

for

Koivu, Halak, Grabovski, a pick, and Perezhogin

Am I the only one that sees that as being a little one-sided? I know Jokinen’s got better numbers, and that the Panthers are more in the driver’s seat for a trade like this, but wow. Maybe I’m just missing something?

29. OldGrover says:

Gotta add my voice to say this is rubbish – I can’t see Koivu going at all. Should he go, he definitely wouldn’t go anywhere else other than another contender – and that sure ain’t Florida. It is his choice and I can’t see him leaving Montreal to play in the tropics. He’s shown he can take the heat here!

30. sadave says:

Re: Odber’s post below and others with the same sentiment: “Koivu’s our captain and he isn’t going anywhere . . .”

I agree; I really don’t like when we trade away our captains.

31. REB2 says:

I would love Jokinen in a Montreal jersey for the next 2 years – Ryder and Streit for Jokinen, straight up,

1. Salary hit on both sides should be similar (FLA might pay a little more)
    2. Jokinen is older than Ryder, younger than Streit (who isn’t over the hill yet), so both fit Fla needs.
    3. Although he’s played well the last several games, Ryder appears to need a new team.

Having siad all of this, it has to tempered with the Kovalev experience…everybody was ready to trade him last year, for a bucket of pucks; he has reallt rebounded – will Ryder do the same thing next year, and could he do it here?

32. howtathor says:

Gainey would never trade Koivu to a backwater like Florida. Anaheim, maybe. Gainey has a commitment to Saku Koivu as a man and as a player. That commitment is to make Saku Koivu a champion whether it be in Montreal or elsewhere. If we were in 14th place then there would be no question, trade Koivu and rebuild but we’re contending and Saku is an integral part of that contention.

33. Lafrich says:

This is nuts. Trade Koivu? No way. When playoff time comes, he is as good as it gets. His intensity level picks up, and he becomes even more clutch.

Just look at his playoff point totals every year we make the playoffs:

Year Ga G A P +/-
    2005-06 3 0 2 2 +1
    2003-04 11 3 8 11 +1
    2001-02 12 4 6 10 +2
    1997-98 6 2 3 5 +4
    1996-97 5 1 3 4 +1
    1995-96 6 3 1 4 +2
    Totals 43 13 23 36 +11
    Pro rated 82 25 44 69 +21

I’d say those are pretty good numbers for playoff hockey (mostly pre-lockout officiating!).

It would be a MAJOR mistake to trade him.

34. arcosenate says:

as a cape bretoner i hardly feel qualified to make any digs at newfoundlanders. the line is cape bretoners are just newfoundlanders with their brains blown out isn’t it? russell sprout is a funny name, isn’t it? that’s all.

35. Rogie30 says:

Dont care what Koivu is doing, what have we won with him? Jokinen, YEEEEES.

36. Rogie30 says:

When I saw this, I was the one jumping up and down in glee.

37. 1010 says:

Agreed. And if we get Tanguay we’re going to find out that he won’t do a damn thing to improve this team. I mean really: has anybody seen what he’s contributed to the Flames’ this year. This from a guy who says he’s happy.

GO HABS.

38. king ddd says:

habsguy:
    to be honest with you man.. i always like ribeiro..most of my friends wanted him to leave MTL..but i actually didnt want him to leave, beacause after kovalev he was one of the most skilled player we had

39. Bill H says:

24 if you feel “we” should be focusing on BG’s day, what are you doing in a thread about a THN article? And who are you to decide what “we” should be focusing on? LOL

Nice post Dave. Keep up the great work. And promise us all that if and when a trade does happen, even if it is a teeny weeny one, that I won’t have to go anywhere else to read about it.

40. OldGrover says:

Well, other than the fact it doesn’t consider Koivu’s NTC at all :)

Bill/Moey/Dave/and others! – Wow, I now know what it feels like to be ForFactsSake:-) I think if you follow most of my posts over time you might have an idea of who I am and where I come from in terms of posting and being a Habs fan. I certainly wasn’t being critical of anything or anyone and I can assure you that I didn’t mean to dictate anything in terms of how the site is run. The intent of what I wrote(and meant) and how it was interpreted seemed to go astray. Somehow, things kind of got totally blown out of proportion. I’m not sure what else I can say.

I’m really looking forward to tonight’s ceremony and a Hab victory.

The Original 24 Cups

42. arcosenate says:

How about a subject change? My girlfriend knows a guy from Newfoundland named Russell Sprout. I wonder if Ryder has ever heard of him?

43. The Teacher says:

What are so bad about Brussel Sprouts, Dave? You’re giving them a bad name. I thought journalists were supposed to be impartial here :(

44. Josh says:

Koivu isn’t the reason we’ve been losing all these years.

45. Ed says:

Is this supposed to be some kind of joke? I don’t get it. Why don’t you tell us some more about Russell Sprout, since your girlfriend knows him so well.

46. arcosenate says:

What are you implying Ed? Do you know something I don’t? Or is Ed really just an extremely clever alias for the one and only Russell Sprout?

47. Ed says:

Ask your girlfriend.

48. arcosenate says:

i can’t she’s shopping for vegetables.

49. Ed says:

Is that why you have the name senate in your handle? I hear there are a lot of vegetables in the senate.

50. Forlando says:

I think if there is any big move we have a good chance of being one of the teams getting the big fishes. Here’s why: Any team with a shot at the cup will not trade a good roster player, after all you are trying to improve your team’s chances…so you need to ADD to your team…not replace. That is exactly what Bob said yesterday and I agree 100%. What will the teams trade then? Picks and prospects. Not many teams have better prospects than we do IMHO. I trust Bob. He will catch us a big fish.

51. johnnyhab says:

I can’t see any team going into the playoffs and getting rid of your team leader. on the flip side I can’t see Fla. trading for two ufa’s for a guy under contract.

52. Sulemaan says:

This trade will never happen. Kind of like any potential Sundin trade.

Speaking of Mats Sundin, I thought you might get a kick out of this ‘version’ of the classic hockey sweater:

53. J.T. says:

This article is ridiculous and pointless. There’s no mention of Koivu’s NTC, or the fact that he said LAST WEEK that his years of futility in Montreal are turning around and he’s happy to be part of the revival, or the fact that there’s no logic in a veteran player going from a playoff team to a bubble team. Reading that was a waste of time.

54. Ian G Cobb says:

I am a little disappointed in Dave Stubbs putting this total fabrication up.

Running out of headlines Dave. How about Gainey going to T.O. as per phone call from Fletcher. He is going to hang his sweater up in there barn instead.!!

55. N.B.habs fan says:

The way I see it is if we do pick up players that we need I want them to( want to play here).Not to play here because they have a chance to win the cup.The team we have now worked hard and are excited to play here to get where we are.I know Bob will do the right thing..

56. Chorske says:

I’d like to think that we’ve most past our previous tendency to trade our captains willy-nilly.

That said, I’d really like to see Jokinen in a CH, locked up for 4-5 years.

57. Bill says:

I know the grass is always greener, but Habs fans have an amazing ability to overrate other teams’ good players, especially so when comparing them with Saku. Jokinen is a better goal scorer, but he’s not as good a playmaker and in my opinion not as good a leader. Is Jokinen a better player right now? Yes, but he’s only on pace for 75 points, exactly what Saku got last year. Koivu’s on pace for 59, but we all know the problems his wingers have had finishing plays.

I’d rather have Saku than Jokinen, or Briere, or Richards, or a lot of other overrated centers. I like Jokinen, but don’t pay the moon.

58. Moey says:

Hi Ian,

In defense of Dave, it’s not a fabrication or rumor, it is simply one guys’ opinion, basically if ifs and ands were pots and pans. IMO, if Saku wanted to go, what he is saying makes sense. But that’s not the case, and I’m glad, I want Saku to hoist that cup above anyone else.

He’s only speculating, and you know as well as I do that’s what mostly goes on here anyway.

59. Chuck V. says:

Ian he’s only linking to another story by another publication, as this site has been doing since its inception. I don’t really see why that would be a problem. If you (like me) don’t like what the Hockey News guy has to say, then fine, but I’d rather have a link and be able to read the stuff in case it did interest me.

If anything, be thankful that we do have a site where complete rubbish isn’t written all the time and where our writers at the very least have some common sense!

60. Peter Young says:

I’d be astonished if it or anything like it happened. But thanks, Dave Stubbs, for keeping us informed on what is being said elsewhere about the Canadiens, even if it’s nonsense. I don’t have time to scour the web for what’s written elsewhere about my team, and I’m grateful when those who post here–both blog staff and readers–keep me up to snuff. I want to know what kind of attention we’re getting, even if it’s misinformed or way off base. The Canadiens have largely been ignored the past few years, but we’re going to get more and more attention very soon.

Dave – In fairness, I believe that all Ian and I were saying was that the trade deadline overload was going over the top and maybe it could take a rest on this special day. I don’t really see ‘all hell breaking loose’ or any sparks flying. To be honest, I was a little taken back by your reply.

Steve