One from our hockey vaults

No, it’s not the Canadiens, but it’s spectacular.

Here’s a 65-second Universal Newsreel, released April 1, 1937, featuring that night’s first game of the 1937 Stanley Cup semifinal between the New York Rangers and Montreal Maroons at Madison Square Garden. The Rangers swept the two-game series – they won this match 1-0 on Babe Pratt’s goal and the shutout goaltending of Davey Kerr – before dropping a five-game Cup final to Detroit.

The Canadiens lost a five-game semifinal to the Red Wings that season after having finished atop the NHL’s Canadian Division with a record of 24-18-6. Johnny (Black Cat) Gagnon, all 5-foot-5, 140 pounds of him, led Habs scoring that season with his 20 goals and 16 assists in 48 games.

swWwkG7JRDk

1. The Teacher says:

LOVED, LOVED THIS!!!

and yes, they were FASSSTTTT

2. CHsam says:

In the 1937, the HIO server was running on a RCA phonograph whose administrator was young Red Fisher.

HIL-AR-I-OUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. habitual says:

Stubbsie:  This is the coolest thing on HIO in a long time.

A tip of the fedora (if you remember that reference!).

Interesting. I thought the same thing. Then I read these comments so I watched it again a few times but full screen this time and now I don’t see it as being anything faster than our game, maybe slower, definitely less crisp and precise. The camera is closer to the ice and the surface appears the same size as toady. I think it’s just that the players are less padded down with protective gear back then as they are now and over-all and on average the players are smaller. That’s my POV of course. Classic footage though. The crowd surely loves it.

6. keepthefaith says:

Awesome. coolest hockey video ive seen in a long time.

7. The Cat says:

Thats why the Gazette pays mr Stubbs the big bucks!

8. Keith says:

Wow, great stuff Mr. Stubbs. I just love watching all the old footage of the Original Six Clubs. So is the bald-headed guy who played for the Rangers Bun Cook? I didn’t realize he was that big until I saw this. And it did look fast to me as well. I would really like to see more of this stuff in the future if it’s possible.

9. Maksimir says:

Is it just me or do these guys look like they are really moving fast?

10. GoalieT says:

Those were my thoughts exactly! Shockingly fast, actually. I was already trying to determine whether the ice surface was smaller, lending itself to quicker end-to-end rushes.

That attempted save at the end with the two-pad stack was heroic! I couldn’t even IMAGINE what it would feel like to get shot in the bare face with a puck.

Ugh!

Ultimate Die-Hard Since 1986.

T.

11. Julie H says:

Very cool footage. Thanks for sharing this.

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

12. Psycho29 says:

Re the fast skating: I think its just the type of film they used back in those days….

If you look closely in the background you will see a couple of very young studs named Mike and Dave releasing carrier pigeons, which is how Habs Inside Out worked back then.

Some would say that way was faster then some game nights in 2010-11…..but I certainly would never say that!

:-)