On to the nation’s capital

The Senators will be testy – but maybe tired – tonight after having their clocks cleaned in a fight-filled game in Philadelphia.

The Bruins game in hand was a loss.

And Saku’s team hits town after a loss to the Leafs, and Carolina beat the Rangers, which means the Canadiens can move back up to sixth with a win tonight.

Habs reload for trip to Ottawa

Gomez says he’s cool with P.K.’s act

Réjean Tremblay on the Canadiens transcending their injuries

Martin Leclerc on the return of Saku Koivu

Red Fisher shows off his 1970s vintage mini-computer (and he’s still got that hat)

Incendiary quotes from Kings GM Dean Lombardi

1. likehoy says:

psyched for saku!

- Gomez is holding down the “overpaid” button

2. fbkj says:

love hockey, love comics, hate this

3. HabFanSince72 says:

Poor Nietzsche was only ever in love with Lou Salome, and she only liked him for his intellect.

4. mike g says:

Thanks man…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

5. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

You have to look at which teams did that to the Blues though. Nashville is a divisional rival, so it is unlikely that they will make any significant trades with each other. The other was San Jose, who are 2 points ahead of St. Louis in the playoff race (St. Louis has 2 games in hand). It could be argued that those two teams made those moves to hinder a direct competitor’s playoff chances. Since we are in the other conference, it wouldn’t be wise to piss off a team we might want to deal with in the future.

6. CanadienBoy says:

I always said than Koivu lost some of the room and heart went they traded his friend and back up in Rivet

7. Rudy says:

Exactly right, Saku was my Captain growing up. He deserves to be appreciated tomorrow night. I hope people put a very detailed description here of the welcome Saku gets for those of us who won’t get to experience it.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

8. Hobie Hansen says:

Since people are conjuring up their old memories of Saku Koivu, I thought I’d share a quick story.

It was the summer after the lockout. I took my girlfriend at the time to Montreal for the weekend and we made plans to meet up with another couple on Crescent Street.  We met at Hurley’s, where my friend’s girlfriend was just finishing up her bartending shift.

The four of us sat there, getting more intoxicated by the minute. The girls decided to head down to the lower level to use the washroom and were taking an extraordinary long time to return.

After about half an hour we made our way downstairs to see what was keeping them. As soon as we rounded the corner there they were, sitting at a table with Saku Koivu and Craig Rivet. My jaw almost hit the floor and next thing I knew Rivet was smiling at me and waving us over to join them.

Not to drag the story on too long here but the six of us, Koivu, Rivet, my friend and the girlfriends, sat at a table and drank for a good two hours. We didn’t pester them about autographs or pictures, we took a few at the end, but we sat there and talked hockey the entire time.

Koivu had his arm around us and he and Rivet we amazed with amount of knowledge my friend and I threw at them about the Canadiens. They were also impressed with my friend’s many injuries that he sustained during his junior hockey career. At one point I was squared off with Rivet and wrestling with him in front of our table. He could have snapped my neck like a breadstick.

People were walking by and thought we were part of the Canadiens too, I loved that LOL.

Koivu and Rivet were out to have fun that night and it’s a night I’ll never forget. I have the picture, blown up in my family room of the four guys sitting around the table with pints of beer and shooters everywhere. They were a couple of great guys!

9. RGM says:

I wouldn’t be at all amazed to learn that at some point during this year a phone call or two to Colin Campbell’s office has been made. With some of the calls/non-calls that have gone against the Habs’ fortunes it would take a true saint to remain completely silent about the issue. It’s all a mater of how the team handles it. There’s a professional way to do it, and a bush league way to do it. Let Ruff and Lombardi do their thing, sometimes a little quiet diplomacy can go a long way.

10. Rugger says:

I could live with a half dozen power play goals.

11. RGM says:

For all those of you that have complained about officiating and called for the Molsons or somebody to do something so foolish as to call out the refs publicly, the comments emanating from Dean Lombardi are a perfect example of what I’m glad that the Canadiens take the high road and don’t get into publicly. Yes, you and I will agree that NHL referees are the worst in all of professional sports, but c’mon this comment is absolutely absurd:

“When the guy in Toronto making the decisions on the goals, in Ottawa and the one tonight, wanted the G.M.’s job in L.A. and was not happy about not getting it, you have to assume you are going to get those type of calls,” To actually accuse the NHL war room people of having a vendetta in that fashion is bush league and sounds so pithy. I lean towards the incompetence side of things as opposed to the tin foil hat conspiracy theories. If the Canadiens organization has a grievance with the refs do it privately so you don’t sound as stupid as Dean Lombardi.

12. TomNickle says:

That trade was a homerun for us.

13. fbkj says:

still remember koivu’s first goal, vs the la kings… same game benoit brunet had an AMAZING short handed goal… watched it at carlos and pepe’s… i was also at the game when he came back from cancer… im going to the game saturday… where ill be wearing my koivu jersey for the last time… edit: ooooohhh i found it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57O2kOY6vm4

14. mike g says:

Yea, I’m not too sure about retiring either, but I’m all for honouring his number and having it hang up above. You can still have Habs players wear #11 in the future, but at least the new generation can look up there and remember the most symbolic Habs player of the past era. Maybe even a banner with his picture and his number. At least something for the new generation to relate to. But, it’s a very touchy issue.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

Dude. As much as I disagree with most of what hfs72 says, Nietzsche kicks philosophical ass. He reasons with a hammer. Who cares that he slept with prostitutes and died from complications he acquired from syphilis.

Nietzsche is without doubt the most important philosopher/thinker of the modern era. Hands down.

16. mike g says:

I think the PR department had a really big say in the new players’ “willingness” and “want” to learn the language….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

17. habfan53 says:

To further your question do the Blues still have to pay 1/2 his salary ??  This is the second time they were burned.

I don’t know why Nabokov or Wellwood had to clear waivers they were out of the league they should be FREE AGENTS.

I suppose it would be the same if somebody tried to bring Metro back

18. jimmy shaker says:

Someone please explain the wellwood thing.  St.Louis wanted him, so they signed him…..so why did he have to clear waivers?  Then the sharks come in and swoop him up……how did that work?  Any team lower in the standings than the blues can go after him? But they have to pay the contract that he signed with the blues?  If this is the case, I would be very interested in stealing Nabokov from the wings for that price and letting auld go.  Or do you think it would just create another goalie controversy?

Shaker

19. avatar_58 says:

According to Bob Mackenzie if he’s claimed, he’s either a starter and on a good team he likes – or he can just not show up and skip the year.

So he’s not an option for teams who want a good backup

20. Matt_in_TO says:

If you read LeBrun’s interview with Saku, he says that’s one of his biggest regrets about his time in Montreal, albeit with a grin on his face.

I love Saku to death and I agree that he should have at least made an attempt.  It’s the one thing other than not being able to bring a Cup home that will tarnish his legacy in Montreal which is a shame considering all the good he did for the city.  He didn’t need to become fluent but at least give it a shot much like our current captain has.   But one has to wonder how much the PR arm of the team are making sure that Gio speaks a little more french just to avoid this whole soap opera again.

- In Price We Trust

21. oldrrty says:

Where is this interview? I would love to read it.

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

22. BJ says:

Haggle with a Dutch hooker! I can see why if your avatar is actually your likeness.

23. smiler2729 says:

No kidding! Loved Rivet but he was slowing and getting both Gorges and the pick that became Pacioretty is pure fleecing! Rivet played two months for the Sharks and UFAed his way to being a healthy scratch captain in Buffalo!

24. joeybarrie says:

I don’t know if there is an unwritten rule, but I have to tell you that it’s a mistake. If I was a GM and I saw that, I would very much make sure that I NEVER did any kind of business with you unless I had no choice, and even then, you would have to have the short end of the stick.
    As much as GM’s compete with each other, they still have to work together, and doing things the right way and being honest and upfront is the best way to harbor a relationship.
    Trust me, a move like that will come back to you, and our club does not do things that way.
    Plus what happens if they do not trade for him? Then we have Auld who is unhappy cause it looks like we are trying to replace him. We have Nabokov who is unhappy cause we picked him up for no reason and to use him as a commodity. Plus any other Free Agent we try to sign will always wonder what our motives are, and I imagine no one would be interested in signing with a team that would do that to a player. There can be no good coming from a move like that. If you ask me…
    There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

25. krob1000 says:

it’s been nearly 20 years as it is……93 is the last year being commemmorated…..1993 Tom is a long time ago now….we’re talking Windows 3.11 time here, tnumber one hits we’re recorded by Boy George, Whitney Houston, Meatloaf, Madonna, UB 40 and Janet Jackson…..that is a long time ago and for the foreseeable future we have noone…even if a current player deserved it we would be talking 15 years from now….too long….torch needs to be kept lit.

26. TomNickle says:

If Koivu goes up, Carbonneau does, it’s that simple.

27. Julie H says:

This will be my 17th live game since becoming a fan of the team and being able to afford tickets. This is the first time I am expecting to be overly emotional at a game. I’m usually pretty composed until I get there and start screaming my head off. I adore Koviu and am exteremly excited just to be able to see him again. #11 forever in my heart is and always will be Saku Koivu

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

28. TomNickle says:

Ed Ronan is more deserving.

29. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Yeah, easy trick on the eyes. I actually had to look it up to make sure, but just struck me as being crazy immediately. A guy who was a great player, right up until he put on the CH. I’m sure he made great contributions behind the bench as we won the cup in ’93, but I think he can get in line behind Stephan Lebeau for jersey retirements.

30. The Cat says:

Nice story man. I remember when I was 19 and in Montreal walking, I almost got hit twice in the morning, one car even hit my leg, I was alright though. Montreal drivers are the worst drivers.

31. kempie says:

It kills me to say this but you just know that, somewhere in the Bell, this exact situation is going to be played out. Hope not, but I can see it happening.

32. krob1000 says:

lol my bad but if you go to the link they are right beside each other (obviously with same last name) but they also have the same jersey number retired so I just typed it….sorry everyone

Does Coach Martin need to show more emotion?

34. krob1000 says:

whew …was just browsing the list…i thought that was odd and didn;t remember it…and thought surely someone would have complained…..Serge..abslutely deserving….my bad…and glad it was because I couldn;t beleive it when I read that (even though I read it wrong).

35. TomNickle says:

Personally, I’m not ready to put his jersey among those others.  Time could change things, but just looking at that list is a reminder of how special of a fraternity that is.

If there isn’t anybody worthy for the next 30 years, so be it.  I’m not willing to give my vote to put somebody in just for the sake of having a new name up there.

36. TomNickle says:

By the way, are you sure Denis Savard’s number is retired?  Are you sure you aren’t thinking of Serge Savard, WHO ABSOLUTELY deserves it.

Edit :  Denis Savard doesn’t have a jersey in the rafters.

Plante, Harvey, Bouchard, Beliveau, Boom Boom, Morenz, Richard, Lafleur, Moore, Cournoyer, Richard, Lach, S.Savard, Big Bird, Gainey, Dryden, Roy.

37. matraque says:

In my opinion, Saku was captain by default…

——

Canadien en 5! Never go Full Retard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svwGRJA28lY&feature=related

38. lenny says:

Any more “meeting Saku” stories…

39. jimmy shaker says:

SO he won’t be staying with Detroit from what Bob is saying….because when Howard comes back, he’s the guy, and when Osgood comes back he’ll be the second guy.  The wings won’t disrespect Ozzy or piss howard off, so this Nabokov deal with detroit is only until their 2 tenders come back from injuries, than Nabokov will be placed back on waivers or traded.  But I do believe someone else will take him before he gets a shot with the wings.

Shaker

40. mike g says:

Oh ok, perfect. Thanks for the info. In that case, I still think another team will claim him. His on ice value along with his cap hit, IMO, will be too attractive for 29 teams to pass up. He had 44 wins last year, so what makes people think he can’t help another team. People didn’t sign him because he wanted something like 5-6 mill per year, but at half a Mill he’s worth every single penny. I can see the Caps, Flyers or Tampa snagging him.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

41. Malreg says:

The last thing I heard about this deal was that Detroit and New Jersey have an arrangement.  Detroit will sign him, put him on waivers, and New Jersey will claim him.  Then New Jersey will wait a few days and put him back on waivers, and Detroit will have priority in claiming him since they had just lost him, or something like that.

If he gets claimed by a team he doesn’t like then he will refuse to play this year.  His agent already sent a letter out to all the teams.

Also, if I remember correctly, you cannot trade a player you just claimed off of waivers.  I remember when the Habs claimed Jay Leach a couple years ago, they wanted to trade him a few weeks later but he had to go through waivers again and SJ picked him up.