On to the nation’s capital

The Senators will be testy – but maybe tired – tonight after having their clocks cleaned in a fight-filled game in Philadelphia.

The Bruins game in hand was a loss.

And Saku’s team hits town after a loss to the Leafs, and Carolina beat the Rangers, which means the Canadiens can move back up to sixth with a win tonight.

Habs reload for trip to Ottawa

Gomez says he’s cool with P.K.’s act

Réjean Tremblay on the Canadiens transcending their injuries

Martin Leclerc on the return of Saku Koivu

Red Fisher shows off his 1970s vintage mini-computer (and he’s still got that hat)

Incendiary quotes from Kings GM Dean Lombardi

Dude. As much as I disagree with most of what hfs72 says, Nietzsche kicks philosophical ass. He reasons with a hammer. Who cares that he slept with prostitutes and died from complications he acquired from syphilis.

Nietzsche is without doubt the most important philosopher/thinker of the modern era. Hands down.

2. oldrrty says:

Where is this interview? I would love to read it.

I don’t care who wins as long as Toronto doesn’t!

3. BJ says:

Haggle with a Dutch hooker! I can see why if your avatar is actually your likeness.

4. smiler2729 says:

No kidding! Loved Rivet but he was slowing and getting both Gorges and the pick that became Pacioretty is pure fleecing! Rivet played two months for the Sharks and UFAed his way to being a healthy scratch captain in Buffalo!

5. krob1000 says:

it’s been nearly 20 years as it is……93 is the last year being commemmorated…..1993 Tom is a long time ago now….we’re talking Windows 3.11 time here, tnumber one hits we’re recorded by Boy George, Whitney Houston, Meatloaf, Madonna, UB 40 and Janet Jackson…..that is a long time ago and for the foreseeable future we have noone…even if a current player deserved it we would be talking 15 years from now….too long….torch needs to be kept lit.

6. TomNickle says:

If Koivu goes up, Carbonneau does, it’s that simple.

7. TomNickle says:

Ed Ronan is more deserving.

8. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Yeah, easy trick on the eyes. I actually had to look it up to make sure, but just struck me as being crazy immediately. A guy who was a great player, right up until he put on the CH. I’m sure he made great contributions behind the bench as we won the cup in ’93, but I think he can get in line behind Stephan Lebeau for jersey retirements.

9. kempie says:

It kills me to say this but you just know that, somewhere in the Bell, this exact situation is going to be played out. Hope not, but I can see it happening.

10. krob1000 says:

lol my bad but if you go to the link they are right beside each other (obviously with same last name) but they also have the same jersey number retired so I just typed it….sorry everyone

11. krob1000 says:

whew …was just browsing the list…i thought that was odd and didn;t remember it…and thought surely someone would have complained…..Serge..abslutely deserving….my bad…and glad it was because I couldn;t beleive it when I read that (even though I read it wrong).

12. TomNickle says:

By the way, are you sure Denis Savard’s number is retired?  Are you sure you aren’t thinking of Serge Savard, WHO ABSOLUTELY deserves it.

Edit :  Denis Savard doesn’t have a jersey in the rafters.

Plante, Harvey, Bouchard, Beliveau, Boom Boom, Morenz, Richard, Lafleur, Moore, Cournoyer, Richard, Lach, S.Savard, Big Bird, Gainey, Dryden, Roy.

13. matraque says:

In my opinion, Saku was captain by default…

Canadien en 5! Never go Full Retard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svwGRJA28lY&feature=related

14. lenny says:

Any more “meeting Saku” stories…

15. jimmy shaker says:

SO he won’t be staying with Detroit from what Bob is saying….because when Howard comes back, he’s the guy, and when Osgood comes back he’ll be the second guy.  The wings won’t disrespect Ozzy or piss howard off, so this Nabokov deal with detroit is only until their 2 tenders come back from injuries, than Nabokov will be placed back on waivers or traded.  But I do believe someone else will take him before he gets a shot with the wings.

16. mike g says:

Oh ok, perfect. Thanks for the info. In that case, I still think another team will claim him. His on ice value along with his cap hit, IMO, will be too attractive for 29 teams to pass up. He had 44 wins last year, so what makes people think he can’t help another team. People didn’t sign him because he wanted something like 5-6 mill per year, but at half a Mill he’s worth every single penny. I can see the Caps, Flyers or Tampa snagging him.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

17. Malreg says:

The last thing I heard about this deal was that Detroit and New Jersey have an arrangement.  Detroit will sign him, put him on waivers, and New Jersey will claim him.  Then New Jersey will wait a few days and put him back on waivers, and Detroit will have priority in claiming him since they had just lost him, or something like that.

If he gets claimed by a team he doesn’t like then he will refuse to play this year.  His agent already sent a letter out to all the teams.

Also, if I remember correctly, you cannot trade a player you just claimed off of waivers.  I remember when the Habs claimed Jay Leach a couple years ago, they wanted to trade him a few weeks later but he had to go through waivers again and SJ picked him up.

18. krob1000 says:

nah..no can of worms….it’s all relative…is there another NHL player that captained a team for a decade whose number is not retired or won’t be? I doubt it…don;t know for sure but I also doubt very much we’ll ever have another captain with a tenure like Saku witht he evloving NHl landscape…no bar lowering…just amrking on the curve which is appropriate…it isn;t a 6 team league, he played through several career ending injuries, he was the heartbeat of Montreal and for many years the ONLY hab worth watching.  Saku’s numbers are not all that impressive but we all saw him play….we also saw what he could do witha  inger everytime he played internatinally…where by the way he is very successful…..but there is nothing wrong with Saku’s number getting retired…people just view it taht way because were the Habs.  Let’s just suppose that the Habs wint the cup this year ….does that mean someone from this team gets his number retired if they only play a handful of seasons here? that is likely the way it will go…..Tenure is very important in number retiring in my opinion especailly in a time where it is very rare it happens.  You need to look no further than Stan Smyl, Dave Talyor, BRian Sutter,Glen Wesley, Thomas Steen, Neal Broten, Ken Daneyko, Danny Gare, Dale Hunter, Trevor Linden (probably best example), MaRKUS nASLUND..(vANCOUVER SEEMS TO HONOUR THEIR LONG SERVING CAPTAINS…RIGHTFULLY SO imo).We retired Denis Savard’s number despite his brief stay and being injured during our cup run. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_retired_numbers#Retired_numbers

We have an artificial sense of retired nubmer requirements like we have an artificial sense of success based on our past.

19. TomNickle says:

The difference in expectations is paramount when you consider that the glory day teams were booed in close victories and this team is cheered after a 1-0 victory after hanging on for life for 40 minutes.

The thing that sets our fans apart from every other teams is that this fan base acknowledges the subtleties of the game and appreciates them.  Blocked shot, stick checks, pass break ups, deflections.  You name it.

mg – A quick example of what we’re talking about.  I attend the Hab Summit every year and usually go with the head pro from my golf course.  He’s 36 and is a huge Hab fan.

He was born in 1975 and basically witnessed the two Roy Cups.  He has no direct link back to the “glory days” and tends to view the team from a here and now perspective.

Contrast that with myself who tends to hang out with the old farts like Ian, Punkster and Mike Boone.  We talk about today’s team but we do with a bit of smugness that we were fans of the “real” Hab teams from the glory days.  It’s not intentional, or elitest.  But the difference is quite evident.

21. HabFanSince72 says:

I have absolutely no time for Rejean Tremblay and Michel Blanchard (the ring leaders of the Saku doesn’t speak French stupidity), but did Saku really have to be so stubborn? The fact is he didn’t need to “learn French” – he only needed to learn like 30 words of French.

Footballers Andriy Shevchenko (Ukrainian) and Clarence Seedorf (Dutch) both learned to speak good Italian after moving to AC Milan (I suspect David Beckham didn’t but he has the IQ of a turnip).

Heck, I learned decent enough Italian from a book in one month prior to my first trip there after graduation. I can order a beer in German and haggle with a hooker in Dutch. All Saku had to do was learn 4-5 sentences. That’s all hockey players say anyway.

In any case I was a big fan and still am. I hope any H I/o ‘ers who go to the game start a standing O when the little guy takes his first shift.

22. TomNickle says:

It’s a good point Steve you make Steve.  Dynasties will be a rarity in pro sports going forward.  Not because you need the big superstars, but because of several factors, like complacency after winning the big one and not having the mental toughness to do it numerous times, talent pools in all sports are so deep that teams are far more balanced.  Those are just two of the biggest reasons in my opinion.

And your entire post is why I don’t support tanking ironically.  If I can’t take pride in a dynasty I choose to take pride in our team building the right way, giving fans hope by fielding a competitive team while making the most out of the draft, trades and free agency.  Tanking is not a ticket to the Finals, I’m sure the Jackets, Thrashers, Panthers, Islanders and Coyotes can vouch for that.  So I admire the difficult decisions that the team faces(Price/Halak, whether or not to trade assets prior to playoff runs Kovalev/Komisarek).

This team, with the exception of the Roy years has never been about one man, and I appreciate that this franchise doesn’t allow it to become about one man.

23. habfan53 says:

Mike  I don’t think it is pro rated I understood last night that it was 550K for the balance of the season.

I disagree with you though If anybody wanted him they should have gone out and signed him (Wellwood too) He should be a free agent.  Nice move by Holland if he gets away with it.

24. krob1000 says:

great post …nothing wrong for shedding a tear for Saku…he is our Rudy…and that movie gets me every time…that and Rocky lol.

25. krob1000 says:

Hall of fame…probably not…number retired…absolutely. Koivu was not overevaluated…he was never over paid…he was a victim of various circumstances…injuries, the guy couldn’t escape them…and not little injuries things like cancer and having your eye nearly whacked out…nothing to do with fragility,etc. Koivu would repeatedly attack guys like Chara like David vs Goliath…but his body was the slingshot…Saku took more punishment in front of the net than any Hab in my time as a hockey fan…despite his size, Saku not a great captain? that is the worst assessment I have ever seen…..you think he was our captain so long because he wasn’t good at it.  Koivu was the only think keeping our torch lit for nearly 15 years….he was the only bright light in an otherwise dark time.  Was Gretzky a terrbile captain in the years he didn’t win? what about Messier when he went to Vancouver and they unretired a dead player’s number for him and they won nothing? does tha mean he couldn’t lead? Iginla has won nothing in Calgary…terrible captain.

Saku is one of the good guys…one of the truly good guys…..but we all know where good guys finish to many people…..sad but true…

26. mike g says:

Yup, good stuff..

I wanted to write a little about the change of expectations in the new NHL, including sadly having to lower our expectations for Habs dynasties, but my post was getting way too long.

But adding to what you’ve said, that’s why as crazy as it may sound, I think it may be right to retire his number one day.

We can agree that we’ve lowered our standars to the point that winnning a Cup every 20 years might even be the norm if this franchise has a rock solid foundation. And that’s nothing compared to before. So we can’t wait and hope for heros during that Cup year every once in a while, or hope that a 50 goal scorer pops onto our team for 10 years.

It’s time for us to honour and/or retire Saku’s number for everything else he did apart from winning trophy’s. He was the most dedicated player to this team and it’s city for almost 15 years. And since we likely will never see heroes like we once had and Cup parades almost every summer, I think it’s time to open the door to retiring player numbers based upon different standards. And if they simply can’t retire it, hanging an banner with his number up in the raftors but still allowing a player to wear it is just fine with me. As long as he’s up there with the other most important players this franchise has had during each era.

And who better to open that new beginning than Saku, a guy who’s medical contributions continue to open doors for the people of this city.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

27. habfan53 says:

Watched the Fisher / Irvin Video.  Call me old but I like seeing the ice and boards with no advertising

28. joshua94k says:

If Ovechkin and the Capitals win against the leafs it could get ugly….

From the Toronto Star:

Talk about too easy of a target. Tim Horton’s in Toronto is selling the Leafs Donut in honour of their local heroes.

29. Hobie Hansen says:

No problem buddy, you’re one of the good guys.

30. da habs says:

here here

31. Everlasting1 says:

Mon dieu. Some of us have ADD, ya know.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

32. joshua94k says:

I was listening to Team 590 from Toronto yesterday and they said that Saku Koivu’s return to Montreal is a big story but they were wondering about the French Canadian fans giving Saku a warm welcome as they believe those fans weren’t apperciative of him being captain since he did not speak French.

What ignorant fools!

Only a few token media made a big hoopla about the language issue. All Canadiens fans, French Canadian included, loved Saku because he played with his heart every game. He was an inspiring leader who led by example. There is a reason he has served the longest term as captain of the most storied hockey franchise in the most demanding city. It is very sad that he could not hoist the Stanley Cup as a Montreal Canadien, what a great moment that would be. Let’s hope that he does comeback to this team again.

Hockey Night in Canada, please do the right thing be televising this game nationally. Fans who do not have cable from B.C. to P.E.I. do not want to watch the slumping Ovechkin and Capitals against the lowly Leafs.

33. Off-side says:

Just think what you could compose with two cups of coffee!

34. The Cat says:

I didnt say win, I meant as in being physical.

35. mike g says:

Yea, I know. Sorry about that. So many things were running through my head, and I just threw them out there. Next time I’ll keep it simple and to the point.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

36. W35T5ID3 says:

Let me get this straight kitty,so…are you suggesting that the lowly lame struggling worse than the leafs Sens are gonna take the Habs???Did i hear that right?We aint gonna lose to those losers,eeesh.HAVE MORE BLOODY FAITH THAN THAT!!eeesh….Lose to the Sens?Lolollhaha

37. Cool Ice Price says:

Does a bear poop in the woods? LOL

Habs Passion unites us all

38. Cool Ice Price says:

It seems to work for Cindy Ruff

Habs Passion unites us all

39. Hobie Hansen says:

Wow, Mr. Mike G. I love reading your comments, most of the time. This one however is a tad too long….

40. mike g says:

So, here’s my take on Saku’s return……

To start, I was never his biggest fan. I loved him for being on our team and knew that he was an important piece of the puzzle, but for some reason he was never my favorite player. After I turned 11 and stoped cheering for Jagr and the Pens, the Habs went from my 2nd favorite team to my 1st. And Saku was there, but being used to Jagr’s style of play and flash, I somehow chose Richard Zednik as my favorite Hab. I’m glad to say my choices have gotten better, as after Zednik I’ve chosen great guys like Markov, Pleks and Price. But anyways, back to Saku.

I always appreciated what he did for this team and city. But, I never found the need to really look at the details and consider everything he went through; small player at the end of the clutch and grab era, tons of injuries (most of them he played through), illness, being captain of the Habs during their longest and saddest drought, etc… I always figured that even though he never won the Cup here, the Habs would someday bring him back one night for all of us to enjoy him, simply because they know more than anyone just what he did for everyone. But even knowing he would be honoured one night, I didn’t know how it would go. Usually when they retire a jersey or stuff, they mention every personal trophy and Cup that they guy won. But Saku doesn’t have any of those, so I wondered how it would be.

But driving to work this morning, I realized that missing the trophy’s just adds value to the Saku era in this city. You see, some people have lifted me from my seat and made me jump with joy after scoring a big goal in the playoffs or something. But then there are those who go about their thing, without being too flashy or noticed, but once you sit back and think of it you get this feeling inside of you that overpowers every other emotion you’ve ever felt. And listening to a beautiful audio clip of Ron Fournier this morning, where he wonderfully honoured Koivu himself, that inside emotion took over.

Look, I’m 22 years old. I don’t remember winning the Cup in 93, I was 5 years old. I’ve never witnessed or been able to share the great feeling of “win” with all of my friends and family. Last year was the closest I came, but it wasn’t the way most in this city have celebrated over the Habs’ long history. But driving to work this morning, that emotion I spoke about above simply got the best of me. A tear, then 2, and I’m not sure how many more. But my eyes were so wattery that it was very difficult to drive. But I sucked it up and continued driving, just like Saku did his whole tenure here in Montreal.

I’m a little embarrased to share this with you guys, but maybe you would understand. We here on this site follow hockey more than anything else. We share the passion that players like Saku make us have. And in some special way, he was able to deliver that message to me without me even knowing it. I’m probably like most of you guys, a regular guy who doesn’t show much emotion. I think I can count on one hand how many times I’ve shed a tear for as long as I can remember. But what I do know for sure, is that the beautiful game of hockey has made me shed a couple only twice in my life; this morning remembering Saku, and when he returned from battling Cancer. Like I said before, he was never my favorite player because I liked the flashyness. But in following him my whole Hab life, I now know he wasn’t sent here to be flashy. Guys like Zednik and Kovalev were, and they sometimes did it very well, but once they’re gone they’re mostly forgotten. Some memories here and there, but that’s about it.

But guys like Saku are different. Guys like him are so much more special. It’s too bad for him that he wasn’t blessed to be on the best teams here, or play with the best players so that he could win a Cup for this city. But Koivu didn’t care, he took that as a positive and gave not only the hockey fans a treat, but he gave every single person in this province a gift. He gave sick little kids the gift of hope, hope for not a Stanley Cup, but hope simply for A life. He gave every small hockey player out there the hope of one day being able to play in what is often called a big mans sport. He showed constant passion and will to win, even when he could have given up and asked to leave because he knew there was no hope for this franchise back then.

But no, Saku was better than that. He knew that giving the gifts of life and instilling nice/hardworking qualities into Quebecois people, even when all odds were against them, was much more worth it than winning a Cup. And what better way to send those messages than playing for the Montreal Canadiens?

There simply isn’t.

A franchise who has the most trophy’s and Cups, by far. If anything, the one thing this new generation of fans needed was a life lesson linked with hockey. It’s great to open a book about Habs history and read about stories years and years ago, that made people so proud and everything. But I never get that feeling of, “hey, I remember that.” But now, after looking back at everything Koivu has done for this city, it’s people and this hockey team, I can finally look back and fully appreciate the man and player that he was.

And, I can finally say, “hey, I remember that.”

So thank you Saku. Thank you for never giving up…..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

41. Hobie Hansen says:

Yikes. Hopefully the Sens don’t come after us tonight like they did in Philadelphia last night. I think Neal, Ruttu and Carkner could take out our entire team…unless White is in the lineup, he may be able to go toe to toe with Ruttu?