On to the nation’s capital

The Senators will be testy – but maybe tired – tonight after having their clocks cleaned in a fight-filled game in Philadelphia.

The Bruins game in hand was a loss.

And Saku’s team hits town after a loss to the Leafs, and Carolina beat the Rangers, which means the Canadiens can move back up to sixth with a win tonight.

Habs reload for trip to Ottawa

Gomez says he’s cool with P.K.’s act

Réjean Tremblay on the Canadiens transcending their injuries

Martin Leclerc on the return of Saku Koivu

Red Fisher shows off his 1970s vintage mini-computer (and he’s still got that hat)

Incendiary quotes from Kings GM Dean Lombardi

1. Cool Ice Price says:

I agreee 24

Habs Passion unites us all

Senators show some fight but still lose 6-2 to Philadelphia.

3. Cool Ice Price says:

Auld OR Price tonight, that is the question?

Habs Passion unites us all

Who’s to blame – Muckler or Murray?

I think you’ve got to come back with Auld.  Logic dictates this is the game he should start and win.  It’s also way too early to start dwelling on the one lousy outing he’s had so far.

6. The Cat says:

I have a feeling it might get ugly tonight. They go from a team they couldnt handle last night to a team they can handle tonight.

Ottawa’s version of the Mike Boone reverse jinx.

The heat continues to build on Cory Clouston.

9. Julie H says:

Little sad that Koivu and the Ducks couldn’t pull of a win against the Laughs. Hopefully we can pull off a win against the Sens. That would be a nice way to welcome the weekend.

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

10. RGM says:

For all those of you that have complained about officiating and called for the Molsons or somebody to do something so foolish as to call out the refs publicly, the comments emanating from Dean Lombardi are a perfect example of what I’m glad that the Canadiens take the high road and don’t get into publicly. Yes, you and I will agree that NHL referees are the worst in all of professional sports, but c’mon this comment is absolutely absurd:

“When the guy in Toronto making the decisions on the goals, in Ottawa and the one tonight, wanted the G.M.’s job in L.A. and was not happy about not getting it, you have to assume you are going to get those type of calls,” To actually accuse the NHL war room people of having a vendetta in that fashion is bush league and sounds so pithy. I lean towards the incompetence side of things as opposed to the tin foil hat conspiracy theories. If the Canadiens organization has a grievance with the refs do it privately so you don’t sound as stupid as Dean Lombardi.

Does Coach Martin need to show more emotion?

12. Caballero says:

Gomez needs to ditch the number 11, it has been unlucky for him for a reason.

13. CP31 says:

This may not be the proper thread but I don’t care! I’m getting ready to drive out for Saturday night’s game vs Anaheim, it was no mistake that my buddy and I chose this game when we bought tickets from the initial sale………….THE RETURN OF SAKU!!

I can honestly say that I have never been so excited for a live hockey game before in my life!

Ironically enough I began following the Habs in 1993 during their Cup run, the same year the Habs drafted Koivu. I never would’ve thought that over the course of the next 13 seasons I would so passionately love the Habs partly due to Roy but mostly due to The Finnish Lion.

Captain K played hard day in and day out, he played with a tenacity that you would expect of someone that was 6’6, 250lb player. He played throughout the turmoil of the Montreal media, through his battle with cancer, through various serious injuries, etc and not once did he ever complain but rather ALWAYS gave back to Montreal and always thought of this place as home. This was our CAPTAIN!

The respect and admiration of the fans that grew fond of him throughout the years, culminated that night Koivu returned from cancer against Ottawa. He loved his team and he loved his city, Montreal.

It’s now time for US fans to show the respect to one of most memorable Captain’s we have ever had. The love affair that I have for the Montreal Canadiens was built by Saku Koivu. And I for one expect to see 21,273 people (myself include, most likely the loudest person!) give Koivu an ovation that will rival the one he received after coming back from cancer, one that will make grown men cry and one that will create new love affair’s for young Hab fans.

WE WELCOME YOU BACK WITH OPEN ARMS SAKU, EVEN IF IT IS FOR ONLY 1 NIGHT!! THANKS FOR THE GREAT MEMORIES!!

“SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU”

14. RGM says:

I suppose so. But would you really want the Habs to be on that level? This is a classy organization – I would rather they remain as such instead of having a buffoon behind the bench that makes his team look ridiculous. For the benefit of 2 extra power plays per game, it just isn’t worth it.

15. CP31 says:

Sorry about the formatting, but you get my point!

FROM SAKU TO GIO, SAME STATURE AND JUST AS MUCH HEART!! GREAT DECISION!!

16. Cool Ice Price says:

I see your point, I really do. But how many times are you going to get kicked in the guts before you lose it?

Habs Passion unites us all

17. Off-side says:

> So many things were running through my head.

Like coffee?  :)

18. mike g says:

Yea for sure, but it’s strange that I only had one cup so far and was able to type so much.

19. RGM says:

I wouldn’t be at all amazed to learn that at some point during this year a phone call or two to Colin Campbell’s office has been made. With some of the calls/non-calls that have gone against the Habs’ fortunes it would take a true saint to remain completely silent about the issue. It’s all a mater of how the team handles it. There’s a professional way to do it, and a bush league way to do it. Let Ruff and Lombardi do their thing, sometimes a little quiet diplomacy can go a long way.

20. Julie H says:

This will be my 17th live game since becoming a fan of the team and being able to afford tickets. This is the first time I am expecting to be overly emotional at a game. I’m usually pretty composed until I get there and start screaming my head off. I adore Koviu and am exteremly excited just to be able to see him again. #11 forever in my heart is and always will be Saku Koivu

21. mike g says:

I think Saku’s return could not have had better timing. He’s coming back over a year after he left. We’ve had time to move on, for things to settle in and appreciate him even more. If he would’ve returned last year, I think some of the bs regarding his tenure here would have still been fresh and it wouldn’t have been the same. Tomorrow will be something special, probably the last time we see him lace up a pair and skate on the Bell Center ice.

22. matraque says:

Saku’s return… Great man, a lot of respect for what he has accomplished as a person.

Hall of Fame, probably not.

Number retired, probably not.

He’s no Yzerman, Sakic…  Not a great captain.  A good one in a not so good team…  Koivu was over-evaluated by Habs…  It would probably have been a diff story if we had a better team at that time and him as a 2nd line center.

I’ve never been a big fan of the hockey player (i stated that many times).  Tomorrow, it’s the return of a great and and a good hockey player.  Not a great one.

Habs win tomorrow… 3-1 and the only Ducks goal scored by Lapierre (i’m kidding… Koivu).

——

Canadien en 5! Never go Full Retard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svwGRJA28lY&feature=related

23. Displaced says:

Some HIO folks have been railing about the draft for wrongly providing a reverse incentive for teams to underperform.  It finally hit me while watching an Ovechkin replay. Drafting in reverse order is a relic of a non-capped NHL./

The NHL drafts rules (pun intended, but not worth much) like revenue sharing, player movement, salary floors and caps, to help ensure parity.  Accordingly, all teams have reasonably similar chances for success and there is no inherent reason to suck./

How does this affect the Habs? Good question.  We’re not going to waste a season.  So, our chance to get an ultra high pick is slim to none.  When considering how important this is, look at the list of Hart Trophy winners since the NHL started the cap and that player’s draft position: 2010, Sedin (third overall);  2008 and 2009, Ovie (first),  2007 Sid (first), 2006 Thornton (first)./

So, why should non-playoff teams automatically have a shot – let alone a weighted improved chance – to draft the best players each year.  It makes NO SENSE.  The draft should be fully randomized, like a draft in a fantasy league.  The NHL could select the order for selections in the first round and then let those teams chose players in reverse order in alternating rounds.  For example, the team randomly selected to draft first in round one, gets pick #30 in round 2, pick #1 in round 3, pick #30 in round 4, and so on./

Viola – no bias for teams to tank and no reward for screwing up.  There are two minor (IMO) problems with this.  First, it would make trading first round picks very dangerous.  Second, teams that do suck would lose a big marketing opportunity parading out the next Patrick Stepan (bad example, but you get the point)./

But, there are counter arguments to each.  Going from memory (I’m sure someone can proffer a stat on this) most first round picks are traded in the off-season when teams know where they draft.  For cases like throwing in a first rounded for Kovy last season, both teams would have to really think about the value of that pick – it could be #1 or it could be #30.  The counter to the second point, is likely less acceptable to the NHL marketing department.  The most needed team from a marketing standpoint loses an asset.  On the other hand, all teams can market the “chance to pick first”.  Second, and really the point of all this, teams have to focus on winning.  There is no Mario Lemieux payoff to losing more games down the stretch compared to NJ (sorry Kirk, you were really good, just not “Super”)./

Sorry for rambling, it just took me a while to understand what you’ve been talking about./

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

24. fbkj says:

auld started 2 games ago, hes the backup, we arent platooning the goalies

25. The Cat says:

Koivu wasnt the habs longest serving captain btw.

26. The Cat says:

My thoughts pretty much. But its his moment to enjoy and hes earned it and hopefully the fans will not be douchebags.

27. Off-side says:

Who cares what they say in Toronto.  Besides, let’s assume for a minute that a few people did not like that Koivu made no attempt to speak French.  This does not mean that those same people didn’t like anything else about him.  Is this what a Torontonian would do?  If they say this then they must THINK this way themselve

28. Matt_in_TO says:

After reading what Lombardi and Murray said after the game concerning the goal, I would love it if just once someone in the Habs organization would do the same thing.  It would be worth the fine.

– In Price We Trust

29. HabsFanInTampa says:

I have reservations about this marketing strategy. What do you folks think?

Agree, totally.  Right from the start, I always thought that Auld would get about a dozen starts at well timed intervals of the year.  I figure this game qualifies as one of those times.  We’re playing one of the weakest teams in the league on a back-to-back weekend.

31. fbkj says:

love hockey, love comics, hate this

mike g – I think you’ve hit on an important issue that we all face here on HI/O (see his post below). The glory days of the Habs are long gone. In fact, it will soon be 20 years since the team last won a Cup. The harsh truth is that those days will probably never come back. In today’s NHL, a Cup once in a lifetime is all that any team can expect. The only ones that can possibly do better are the franchises with elite superstars. Right now, I only see three of those players in the NHL.

I watched the Richard brothers, Beliveau and Lafleur wins numerous Cups. I also marveled at how Patrick Roy won the Cup for us back in ’93. Reliving this great history is a joy for me, but it’s also my Achilles Heel. I still want the Habs to be like they were, I still feel that anything less than winning the Cup is failure. Making the playoffs to only get bounced in the first or second round is not much better than not making the post-season. I realize this isn’t a realistic viewpoint in today’s age, it’s a struggle that I try and deal with when posting on the site. I sometimes lose the enjoyment of the moment because I’m always looking at the big picture. Always wanting the Habs to be like they once were.

Every generation has their heroes. The Flower was my man. For many, Patrick Roy was the last great Hab. That may be true in terms of Cup glory, but the Hab fans of today must still try and cheer for the players that excite them the most. Even if those players will never be all-stars or win Stanley Cups. They need to live in the moment and not dwell on a long, gone era. If that’s true, then I would suggest that Saku Koivu is a true hero for the Habs. He was a beacon of light during Montreal’s dark ages. He may not have a Cup ring, but he’s still the player we should admire the most as we look back on the last 15 years. He is due his place in history. Today, players such as Price, Pleks and Subban prepare to take his place. They may well become the next great generation of Habs, even if they don’t have multiple Cup rings. These are the jerseys that today’s fans should be wearing, not the ones from the past.

The criteria for greatness has changed in Montreal. We’ve had to adjust our expectations. Failure to do so, leaves us clinging to the past. What joy is there in the here and now, if we are unable to enjoy the love of the game?

It’s time for all of us to turn the page and accept what we are given by today’s team in the new, modern era of the NHL.

33. likehoy says:

psyched for saku!

– Gomez is holding down the “overpaid” button

34. Rudy says:

Exactly right, Saku was my Captain growing up. He deserves to be appreciated tomorrow night. I hope people put a very detailed description here of the welcome Saku gets for those of us who won’t get to experience it.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

35. habfan53 says:

To further your question do the Blues still have to pay 1/2 his salary ??  This is the second time they were burned.

I don’t know why Nabokov or Wellwood had to clear waivers they were out of the league they should be FREE AGENTS.

I suppose it would be the same if somebody tried to bring Metro back

36. jimmy shaker says:

Someone please explain the wellwood thing.  St.Louis wanted him, so they signed him…..so why did he have to clear waivers?  Then the sharks come in and swoop him up……how did that work?  Any team lower in the standings than the blues can go after him? But they have to pay the contract that he signed with the blues?  If this is the case, I would be very interested in stealing Nabokov from the wings for that price and letting auld go.  Or do you think it would just create another goalie controversy?

Shaker

37. Matt_in_TO says:

I’m guessing it’s being aimed at young kids.  Kind of a cool concept but don’t really see how it relates.  At least our guardian is cool and seems to be pretty powerful.  I can’t wait to see the Toronto one and what Lee came up with.  How exactly do you translate a leaf into a super hero?

– In Price We Trust

38. mike g says:

So, Nabokov on waivers at 12. Who’s gonna pick him up? I think a team will snag him before he gets to Detroit, especially since it’s only a one year deal worth a pro-rated 575k. That’s peanuts for Nabby. And you know what, if he gets unclaimed and it’s the Habs’ turn to decide if they take him or not, I say take him. Don’t play him, instead call the teams who are interested in him and trade him. If they really want him, they’ll have to trade for him. It’s playing hardball, but teams this year seem to have no fear in doing it. If you wanna sign a UFA for free, do it in the summer. If you do it now, too bad you might have to pay the price. Unless there’s an unwritten rule out there in the GM world that goes against this, then every team should try do it. But the way players have been claimed this year, I’m not sure it’s that popular of a rule…

39. HabsFanInTampa says:

Same here.

40. shiram says:

I’m a recent hockey convert, though I’m older than Mike G.

I guess it affects us all differently, and while I would love to see the Habs hoist the Cup, I do rejoice at every little victory they achieve, I guess you have to realize you cannot dominate year after year, and the playing field has leveled some. There are still powehouse teams, but they cant keep their rosters for too many seasons.

You have to enjoy what you can in the game, this season I find it awesome to see Pk progress, he is showing so much improvement and maturity lately. Price too, and then there is this youth movement coming into the team.

41. mike g says:

I would claim him but not play him, because like you pointed out I fear another controversy. Price and the Habs are fully commited to eachother, and Price now feels comfortable and is doing an excellent job as our #1. No need to mess with that chemistry. But, I’d still claim him, but make him sit at home until I trade him and get something in return. It’s business. If I can get a valuable asset like Nabokov for free and use him to acquire a player needed on this roster, I’m winning that deal 100%.

42. HabsFanInTampa says:

As a child I once had to use a leaf to wipe my behind when I had to go #2 in the woods. Maybe Stan Lee can use that as his motivation for his Toronto Maple Leaf superhero.

43. krob1000 says:

yup…..that about sums it up.  Saku deserves nothing but respect…and I hope that if any of you are there and some idiot boos him….I would be really disappointed if I found out you didn’t pop them in the mouth…twice.

44. mike g says:

Thanks man…

45. fbkj says:

still remember koivu’s first goal, vs the la kings… same game benoit brunet had an AMAZING short handed goal… watched it at carlos and pepe’s… i was also at the game when he came back from cancer… im going to the game saturday… where ill be wearing my koivu jersey for the last time… edit: ooooohhh i found it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57O2kOY6vm4

46. TomNickle says:

If anybody has the stupidity to boo Koivu at the game they’ll very likely have a face full of knuckles courtesy of some bystanders.

47. Hobie Hansen says:

Since people are conjuring up their old memories of Saku Koivu, I thought I’d share a quick story.

It was the summer after the lockout. I took my girlfriend at the time to Montreal for the weekend and we made plans to meet up with another couple on Crescent Street.  We met at Hurley’s, where my friend’s girlfriend was just finishing up her bartending shift.

The four of us sat there, getting more intoxicated by the minute. The girls decided to head down to the lower level to use the washroom and were taking an extraordinary long time to return.

After about half an hour we made our way downstairs to see what was keeping them. As soon as we rounded the corner there they were, sitting at a table with Saku Koivu and Craig Rivet. My jaw almost hit the floor and next thing I knew Rivet was smiling at me and waving us over to join them.

Not to drag the story on too long here but the six of us, Koivu, Rivet, my friend and the girlfriends, sat at a table and drank for a good two hours. We didn’t pester them about autographs or pictures, we took a few at the end, but we sat there and talked hockey the entire time.

Koivu had his arm around us and he and Rivet we amazed with amount of knowledge my friend and I threw at them about the Canadiens. They were also impressed with my friend’s many injuries that he sustained during his junior hockey career. At one point I was squared off with Rivet and wrestling with him in front of our table. He could have snapped my neck like a breadstick.

People were walking by and thought we were part of the Canadiens too, I loved that LOL.

Koivu and Rivet were out to have fun that night and it’s a night I’ll never forget. I have the picture, blown up in my family room of the four guys sitting around the table with pints of beer and shooters everywhere. They were a couple of great guys!

48. TomNickle says:

I’m on the fence when it comes to the decision on whether or not to retire his number.  The problem with doing it is that every name and number hanging at the Bell Centre is close to transcendent in hockey, his name is not and will never be.

If you retire his number you open up a big can of worms going forward by setting a lower bar on who’s jersey goes up.

49. joeybarrie says:

WELL, when Koivu first came to town, in his first season he was walking across the parking lot to the Brossard Champlain Mall. I was driving with my Girlfriend (at the time). We were arguing in the car and i was looking at her, and when she looked up, she screamed. I looked up and jammed on the brakes as i saw a guy walking across the street and had a deer in headlights look at my car, where he though i was going to run him over. I was pretty close. He just walked away, and my girlfriend said, hey isnt that the new guy we just got from Europe??? I said couldn’t be. Well fast forward 5 or so years and I saw him having a drink at the bar at McKibbon’s. I decided to go over and say hi and offer to buy him a beer since I almost killed him. Fully expecting that it wasn’t really Koivu by the way, he responded with a simple….. GREEN VOLVO as he pointed to me. Well Koivu doesn’t pay at most bars he goes to, so I couldn’t buy him a beer, but he is a pretty nice guy.

Again, same thing, no autographs or anything. I just look at it like any other guy at the bar. I saw him a few times after that at a few other bars and we had a few drinks again, but I can’t tell those stories, cause we would both be in trouble…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

50. CanadienBoy says:

I always said than Koivu lost some of the room and heart went they traded his friend and back up in Rivet

51. Rugger says:

I could live with a half dozen power play goals.

52. TomNickle says:

That trade was a homerun for us.

53. mike g says:

Yea, I’m not too sure about retiring either, but I’m all for honouring his number and having it hang up above. You can still have Habs players wear #11 in the future, but at least the new generation can look up there and remember the most symbolic Habs player of the past era. Maybe even a banner with his picture and his number. At least something for the new generation to relate to. But, it’s a very touchy issue.

54. avatar_58 says:

According to Bob Mackenzie if he’s claimed, he’s either a starter and on a good team he likes – or he can just not show up and skip the year.

So he’s not an option for teams who want a good backup

55. Matt_in_TO says:

If you read LeBrun’s interview with Saku, he says that’s one of his biggest regrets about his time in Montreal, albeit with a grin on his face.

I love Saku to death and I agree that he should have at least made an attempt.  It’s the one thing other than not being able to bring a Cup home that will tarnish his legacy in Montreal which is a shame considering all the good he did for the city.  He didn’t need to become fluent but at least give it a shot much like our current captain has.   But one has to wonder how much the PR arm of the team are making sure that Gio speaks a little more french just to avoid this whole soap opera again.

– In Price We Trust

56. Icey Matt says:

You are obviously unaware of the stipulations of the Nabokov deal… if he is claimed off of waivers the team who claims him is unable to trade him without Detroit having the option to “steal” him back.

57. fbkj says:

koivu always said merci at the end of an interview and in regards to gionta, well thats a marketting decision and pre-game production for habs games really only amped up post lockout so thats not a fair argument as you pointed out

58. mike g says:

I think the PR department had a really big say in the new players’ “willingness” and “want” to learn the language….

59. joeybarrie says:

I don’t know if there is an unwritten rule, but I have to tell you that it’s a mistake. If I was a GM and I saw that, I would very much make sure that I NEVER did any kind of business with you unless I had no choice, and even then, you would have to have the short end of the stick.
    As much as GM’s compete with each other, they still have to work together, and doing things the right way and being honest and upfront is the best way to harbor a relationship.
    Trust me, a move like that will come back to you, and our club does not do things that way.
    Plus what happens if they do not trade for him? Then we have Auld who is unhappy cause it looks like we are trying to replace him. We have Nabokov who is unhappy cause we picked him up for no reason and to use him as a commodity. Plus any other Free Agent we try to sign will always wonder what our motives are, and I imagine no one would be interested in signing with a team that would do that to a player. There can be no good coming from a move like that. If you ask me…
    There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

60. TomNickle says:

That entire post is your opinion, and while you’re entitled to it, others are entitled to disagree with it.  If you asked me today if I would retire his number, I would say no.  That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t reconsider, but as of today his jersey shouldn’t be up with the others in my opinion.  And just because Denis Savard is up there doesn’t mean he should be, two wrongs don’t make a right.

61. mike g says:

No doubt it could come back to haunt you and sort of puts a black stain on your GM’s resume. I even said that in my post. But this year we’ve seen 2 teams do it to the Blues. I never thaught teams would do it, let alone twice to the same team in 1 month. So maybe teams are starting to do it now because the ice has been broken and it’s more acceptable? I don’t know, and none of us do because were sitting here on HIO and not in a front office position.

62. matraque says:

Of course it’s marketing decision!  But a well received one and that is all the management had to do with Saku.

Gary Carter is a perfect example… everyone thought he was speaking french… In reality, he was not.  He knew and was taught how to place the 30 french words he knew.

——

63. fbkj says:

when did you start following the habs, honest question?

64. fbkj says:

you skipped the part about pre-game production

65. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Denis Savard? Let’s not get crazy here. 18 is retired for Serge Savard. I am also on the fence about a Koivu jersey retirement, although I’m leaning more towards doing it. If it doesn’t happen, I wouldn’t call it a travesty, but I think we could stand to lose one more number. Who says we can’t start going into triple digits?

Louis Leblanc – #572 in your program, #1 in your heart.

66. TomNickle says:

Personally, I’m not ready to put his jersey among those others.  Time could change things, but just looking at that list is a reminder of how special of a fraternity that is.

If there isn’t anybody worthy for the next 30 years, so be it.  I’m not willing to give my vote to put somebody in just for the sake of having a new name up there.

67. The Cat says:

Nice story man. I remember when I was 19 and in Montreal walking, I almost got hit twice in the morning, one car even hit my leg, I was alright though. Montreal drivers are the worst drivers.

68. notbigbird says:

The Flower is pretty well it for me too. I was kind of young for the fifties team and even missed Beliveau at his very best. So it’s Lafleur for me for the best with Beliveau actually earning more respect. I wasn’t paying as much attention in the Roy years.

Being in southwestern Ontario at the time, I didn’t have a lot of access to Habs stuff. I was in Leafs/Wings territory. I was also peeved about the loss of the Fyling Frenchman days. Winning grinding cups seemed like a come down although I would now be thrilled with one gained any old which way.

I also became peeved with hockey in general in the clutch and grab days. I think the New NHL (with all of its warts) and the arrival of BG kind of brought me back into the fold. Now, although I don’t post a lot, I’m pretty well glued to this site.

69. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

You have to look at which teams did that to the Blues though. Nashville is a divisional rival, so it is unlikely that they will make any significant trades with each other. The other was San Jose, who are 2 points ahead of St. Louis in the playoff race (St. Louis has 2 games in hand). It could be argued that those two teams made those moves to hinder a direct competitor’s playoff chances. Since we are in the other conference, it wouldn’t be wise to piss off a team we might want to deal with in the future.

70. TomNickle says:

This isn’t about the torch though.  Gionta has it.  Gainey, Roy, Bouchard, Dryden, Savard, Lach, Robinson.

These guys had their numbers retired twenty years after they were done playing hockey for the most part.

Don’t expect Koivu to go up there in the next two decades is all I’m saying.

And there are players more deserving to go up first.  Starting with Lemaire, Shutt, Carbonneau

71. krob1000 says:

Carbo capt 5 years, a cup, 3 selke’s, 12 years with club…widely regarded as the best defensive forard in the game in his time…I would not have a problem with that either…not any time soon since his terrible coaching stint may have temporarily tarnished his image but I think Guy is also deserving.  Koivu capt 10 years, 10th all time scoring, 6th all time assists, 2nd longest serving captain, perhaps greatest off ice Hab next to Beliveau, hero to any human being for hsi ability to defy odds and battle through any obstacle, never had a team or two real wingers to play with, could have left for greener pastures but chose not to.  I have no oudbt in my mind his jersey will get retired …and Carbo too will someday…Carbo is the last guy fromthe winning teams that deserves it but I think he delayed it witht he coaching stint..that’s all. Carbo deserves it too IMO.  Thee best in the game at his role for nearly a decade….

72. TomNickle says:

Read below, I think Lemaire and Shutt will go up before Carbonneau and or Koivu.

73. HabFanSince72 says:

Poor Nietzsche was only ever in love with Lou Salome, and she only liked him for his intellect.

I suppose Blackhawk and Penguins fans have no pride.

Face it. Apart from Burke’s Kessel fiasco there are no other ways to get the most sought after talent. Look at Tampa Bay. Think they’d be where they are without Stamkos?

Like I said earlier. 3 years and that’s it. If the Habs aren’t sniffing at the Cup by then and are still languishing in the middle of the pack, tanking better happen.

75. jennifer1984 says:

ive been reading your comments for over a year and you have yet to bother me….. except the Jenny comment

76. andrewberkshire says:

Haven’t lived there since 2005 (not counting summers) but yeah I don’t miss it. My parents still live there and they can’t wait to get out.

77. petrov14 says:

Is that quote for real? Wow, so sad…..

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

78. Storm Man says:

Don’t hurt yourself reaching for another drink….

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

79. andrewberkshire says:

They sing it, that’s where the chant came from. Look it up.

80. StevieRay says:

reaching …..

81. shiram says:

I guess i’ll take the suggestion you posted below and not read you posts from now on.

82. Storm Man says:

You forgot PK also.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

83. ZepFan2 says:

Actually, they said he had some trouble breathing. I’ve had broken ribs. It hurts to even laugh. I do agree, two weeks for bruised ribs is a bit excessive.

84. Bugs says:

How’s that? Were they about me?

85. ZepFan2 says:

Funny, cause it’s true.

86. CBrady12 says:

Ok but I never said how long he would play or that hes fine and it would be easy. I just said that two weeks for a bruised rib is excessive. for god sake its written right in front of you and you still take it out of context…

87. CBrady12 says:

How is it any different? Both are exactly the same, COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS!! there are professionals who work for the team and if they say he can play, then he can play. No matter what you or I or anyone here says, our comments mean nothing and have no bearing on what actually goes on inside an nhl team. So sorry, there is no difference.

88. punkster says:

Bit early for “post of the day” but you’re in the lead.

***Subbang!!!***

89. StevieRay says:

YOu can say that again .. the kid who was a #1 pick for the LA Clippers has a Double Double in over 20 straight games .. 20 points /20 rebounds don’t know how to putthat in Hockey context but it’s a rare feat .. especially for a young guy .

90. fbkj says:

pretty sure i told you but i took mona to that game and they were sitting like 2 sections away from us… against the oilers… we won… pk wasnt even playing lol

91. fbkj says:

how clear cut IS the origin of the ole chant? considering the version they play at the bell center after a win is from new jersey’s bouncing souls? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YowSB2cJH1c

92. CBrady12 says:

“you really cant know unless its happend to you” well there are HUNDREDS of things that happen to the habs on the ice, off the ice, with the media, etc that NONE OF US on this site have had happen to us, yet that doesn’t stop us from having an opinion…

93. twocents says:

Ah Bugs, good to see ya. I had begun to wonder if those NESN bastiches had cyper-napped you. I was trying to get someone on here, with some technical knowledge, to rally a bunch of nanobots to find you.

Anyway, just glad your back.

I’m looking forward to those reports from Svenski.

94. observer says:

c/p ny giants blog

If draft was today, I’d trade down and draft C, Stefan Wisniewski.

Of course the Bell Centre crowd wont boo Koivu. He’d have to be wearing a Habs uniform for that to happen.

96. observer says:

the more important thing – it is lapierre’s first game since leaving unceremoniously.

97. CBrady12 says:

listen. first he was at practice yesterday so obviously by some miracle he can breathe. Second, Im not sayin he shouldnt miss any time, take today and tomorrow off that fine. Im just sayin to the OP who said that he shouldnt play until after the ASG that IMO two weeks off for a bruised rib is excessive. Seeing as how we need him in the lineup, i wouldnt be surprised to see him play tonight.

98. JD_ says:

I think I’d want to see the guy on skates before draftin’ him, 24C.

I wondered about that, too.

MaxPac is the only one who really knows how bad it is, but I’m sure it hurts like hell.  Breathing is going to be an issue.

Watch out for guys like Neil, Carkner and Ruutu.  They’ll be trying to take advantage.

100. bwoar says:

A slight hesitation, due to pain or lack of breath, can lead to a turnover and goal.  That’s hockey, please start watching it for a while before commenting.

101. habfan53 says:

Some thoughts and figures on Saku for tomorrow night.

For his carreer with Montreal Saku is 18th in games played with 792,  26th in goals with 191, 6th in assists with 450, 10th in all-time points 641.

Saku came to play almost every night (nobody is up for every game) but he showed courage in more ways than one. Was too much expected of him? definitely he was an exellent 2nd line centre who never had great wingers for a sustained period.

Will he be booed tomorrow night ?  Probably by a few idiots who will think it is funny (or are Rejean Tremblay fans) HOWEVER they will be drowed out by the 21,000 plus who will appreciate what he gave our team for 15 years .

102. shiram says:

Wow… Hmm, well the game changed a whole bunch since the Gainey time, hockey is harder and faster now, and more is expected out of the athetes.

You know also back in the good old days, goalies didnt wear mask, but the game somehow evolved past that, you can’t bring back something from the past and expect it to be the same thing nowadays…
    And the players have to look out for their health, and so does the team.

103. andrewberkshire says:

Agreed, last thing we need is to turn a minor injury into a major one.

104. Propwash says:

You missed a few conversations that were doozys

I don’t follow the NBA, but this Blake Griffin is amazing.  Great entertainment.

This is the kind of guy we should be drafting!

106. Maksimir says:

Last name Brodeur = Shut Out against Habs tonight.

How’s that for positive thinking!

107. Matt_in_TO says:

There’s a connection there.  The Al’s and Bulldogs is pretty obvious.  Southern Ontario is full of Habs fans and you can bet they were the ones starting it at the World Jrs.

– In Price We Trust

108. CBrady12 says:

no but what difference does that make? getting checked is going to somehow turn his bruise into a fuckin collapsed lung?

Ya know Gainey once played with two separated shoulders at the same time…The trainers just popped them back into place and he went back onto the ice…

Stop babying these guys…

109. athanor says:

And did he have guys trying to crush him into walls?

110. Bugs says:

Forgive absence. Hard at work. Paid off.

Media agent infiltrates Habs ranks: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/2011/01/undercover-media-agent-infiltrates-habs.html

(What, no hyperlinkin no more?)

111. CBrady12 says:

Well obviously he wont be at 100%. He will be in pain, but somehow humans are capable of living and yes, even playing hockey through pain…we arent talking about playing with damaged ligaments or something where playing with it will make it much worse, we are talking about playing through pain, and I’m sure he will be out there before the all star break.

112. The Cat says:

You mean they sing it? Or do they just go Ooooleeee! I dont think thats quite the same thing.

113. Cool Ice Price says:

If recent history serves me correctly, the Habs tend to lose to teams that suck. No?

Habs Passion unites us all

114. andrewberkshire says:

It’s a Spanish bull fighting chant, so soccer fans stole it too.

115. habaholic68NJ says:

I hope the team rests MaxPac until after the all-star break.  Until then, Pouliot can play in his place and White can take over on the third line.

116. Propwash says:

He will probably stay away from the front of the net and do his best to avoid checks. He won’t be the same player for awhile.

117. savethepuck says:

His first start of the season, he’s come in in relief 3 times this year. He had 3 starts last year, one of them was a 4-2 win over us at the Bell Center last Jan 16th.

118. avatar_58 says:

Umm…pretty sure they sing OLE during Montreal CFL games. They also sung it during the Canadian juniors game. Sometimes people sing it at Bulldogs games.

So it’s not just the habs

119. The Cat says:

Hab fans are generally held in low regard throughout the league, but thats understandable, passionate fans of any team are bound to be hated. BUT stealing a south american soccer chant and claiming it as your own is over the line and uncalled for, should be above that sort of thing.

120. Hobie Hansen says:

The Sens are completely brutal, played last night and are without their top player. if we lose tonight it would be disturbing. Especially since we’re playing in Scotia Bank Place where 60% of the building are Habs fans..

121. ZepFan2 says:

Trust me. The cheers will drown out any idiots that are booing!

122. smiler2729 says:

C’mon man, NOBODY will boo Saku Koivu tomorrow night, in fact, it’ll be an ovation to remember like the Rocket in ’96 and Saku’s return in ’02.

The sh*t-for-brains that would boo are the same baby brains that boo the anthems. Real Hab fans will drown them out.

123. HabFanSince72 says:

Sens have only 1 win in their past 11. They suck.

124. Sportfan says:

Tonight we have to be careful everytime Ottawa is slumping and then plays us they win. I know we can win go guys kick the sens to the curb haha

125. Sportfan says:

Haha what a carzy computer im 21 so it was really interesting to watch that. The best was Red Fisher saying how he hated quotes and tried so hard not to use them now on the Saturday paper quotes everywhere haha loved the video

126. PeterD says:

I feel for you man…I lived in Fort McMurray for 33 1/2 years…lots of winters and sub zero weather…here you have had some -40 weather there lately…It is a great place to live, earn a living and retire from…

127. Cool Ice Price says:

Sens have only 1 win in their past 11. They are due for a win tonight & the Habs had to be the ones they play.

Habs Passion unites us all

128. Mikey_39 says:

Did anyone happen to see the comment on the Koivu article on RueFrontenac? The statement that habs fans are the best fans must be self-proclaimed, because there are way too many garbage excuses for human beings that call themselves habs fans for this to be true.  People like this give true habs fans a bad name.  I really hope Saku doesn’t get booed, and the fact that I’m actually worried that it might happen, tells you a lot about the fans in the stands.

129. aemarchand11 says:

Just bought tickets to the Habs v Leafs game on Feb 24! Molson Ex Section!

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

130. Mats Naslund says:

Ottawa is starting Brodeur tonight… does the fact that its Mike and not Martin change things? I guess we’ll find out if its the name or the netminder that has killed us so many times over the years.

131. CBrady12 says:

Anyone wanna actually go play hockey this afternoon?

132. CBrady12 says:

You want him to rest for two weeks from a bruise?

133. DearyLeary says:

Bruised ribs are painful as all hell.  I’d let him rest a game or two if he wanted, but if he wants to play I sure don’t expect him to be playing at 100%.

134. shiram says:

Bruised ribs, yea, that definately warrants rest. It hinders your movement and breathing.
    Its not like ajust a random bruise.

135. CBrady12 says:

Yeah but for two weeks? common…One of my best friends had a jet ski accident in Jamaica and had contusions on his rib and on his lung. I actually caused him to cough up a small amount of blood right after it happened. It hurt like hell but after less than a week, the guy was able to be back at work in construction.

136. Mikey_39 says:

I guess.  It’s just a worry of mine.  The problem is they never cease to amaze me…booing the national anthem, for example.  Classless people giving us a bad name.

137. shiram says:

You really cant know unless it happened to you, i had a bruised ribs, and its a pain to live with. Cant imagine playing hockey that way.

138. Mikey_39 says:

Maybe it’s just me, but i really don’t think they’Re saying olé olé olé…I swear you can’t hear the ”L” being pronounced.  It sounds like they’re saying Ah-oué

139. ZepFan2 says:

Bruised ribs = extremely hard to breathe. How many shifts will Pacs be able to endure?

140. Hoegarden says:

Brodeur gets the call for tonight’s game.

Michalek is the one to watch out for this evening. Keep our old timers on the D away from him.

141. ZepFan2 says:

The worst were the two knuckleheads that dressed in blackface and wore Subban jerseys. As for anthems. I’m one of those that feel there’s no need for anthems at sporting events. That still didn’t make it right (the booing).

If Lats can get drafted…..

Maybe Laraque can give him lessons.  That’s if the code permits.

143. Say Ash says:

too bad Cammi’s out, eh?

was looking forward to the biggest fight since SK and Grabs

144. JD_ says:

I PMed you a quick question.

145. habsfansince91 says:

you’ve obviously never experienced bruised ribs before. I had to endure them 5 years ago and I stil remember the pain vividly. I had trouble breathing (everytime i would inhale there would be excruciating pain) for at least a week. I’d be very surprised to see max play more than 10 minutes tonight.

146. shiram says:

There’s a difference on discussing plays and lineup, or trades, and saying a player should play injured or how long a recovery from an injury takes.

So alright… your opinion is that a bruised ribs is a bout a week of recovery i guess? My take from my experience with a bruised rib is that it takes a long time for the pain to subside.

147. CBrady12 says:

Was the insult necessary? So I dont watch hockey eh? First of all, I’ve been on this site for over 3 years. Second of all, I have season tickets to the Canadiens. Third, and most importantly, I’ve played hockey my entire life, and still play twice per week.

Fourth, I can comment as much or as little as I choose. If you have a problem with it, then don’t read it.

148. habsfansince91 says:

what happened exactly with lapierre and cammalleri?

149. Say Ash says:

Doesn’t matter. The important thing is, Gomez is to blame.

150. Bugs says:

Heh! …nanobots…

151. andrewberkshire says:

Have to say, I don’t think you understand what you’re talking about. My little brother just had an injury that ended up being a severe bruise to his right thigh, and he was told to stay away from physical activity for 3-4 weeks while it heals. Having that same type of bruising on ribs where you get hit all the time in hockey… not a good idea.

152. Habsrule1 says:

Anyone here going to the game tonight in Ottawa? I’ll be in section 118.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

153. Storm Man says:

If you watched college ball when he was playing with the Sooners you could tell this kid was something special. Just wait to see what he does when he join’s my Lakers. It will be showtime Griffin style:).

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

154. jennifer1984 says:

bugs, i’ve missed you and your comments!!!!

155. Bugs says:

Give it awhile…

156. LA Loyalist says:

there are only a few rotating topics, ever, the main excitement was that Price/Halak has been replaced by Gomez/PK Subban

Other topics: Does Gomez suck? (with occasional interjections that Gomez’s unobstructed pass to PK was the equivalent of Cammi knocking the puck up off his knee to his stick and then scoring in the playoffs last year) but I digress.

Does Martin suck?

Will Koivu cry? alternating with “Will the crowd cry?”

You are also just in time for the post of the day (my vote) something from 72 (whom I usually fight with brutally) but anyone who can jam Nietsche and Dutch hookers into a post about ice hockey in Montreal gets my vote, even 72.

157. LA Loyalist says:

You have obviously never hurt your ribs.

The muscles wrap around tightly the torso and with the torquing hockey players do and the breathing it can be extremely painful. Even regular breathing.

158. LA Loyalist says:

CEGEP is not med school. Not even in Quebec.

159. Say Ash says:

so was gomez

160. fbkj says:

i snubbed him

161. LA Loyalist says:

oh crap, that’s JM’s system in a nutshell. “stay away from the front of the net and avoid checks”

He’s going to want everyone to get bruised ribs.

162. andrewberkshire says:

Count me as extremely jealous. I was in Fort McMurray, Alberta working at Canadian Tire after school.

163. andrewberkshire says:

No way, part time (if 35 hours a week is considered part time for a grade 9) manager of the hardware section.

164. fbkj says:

35 hours a week in grade 9? wow

165. andrewberkshire says:

Did that pretty much all of highschool, that’s Fort Mac though, everyone works obscene hours.

166. Mattyleg says:

Anyone see the video of me snubbing HI/O this morning?

All I have to say about it is this:

“You know you don’t really want to see that… it’s just… you know, I was looking at my girlfriend… the website is obviously excited… it’s like, I’m probably going to laugh about it later… she was just like… I’ll probably write something on the wall later… I don’t know what this is all about…”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

167. VancouverHab says:

Yo HBs72L

For a famous philosopher, your empiricism sucks.

Beckham speaks Spanish (with a pretty decent accent)

168. PeterD says:

Long hours but the money is good though… :-)

169. PeterD says:

good one , LMAO

170. petrov14 says:

*Slow clap* Well done!

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

171. andrewberkshire says:

This is very true.

172. avatar_58 says:

So what? If Plek made that play he’d be cheered. I don’t get why Gomez isn’t allowed to be patted on the back

173. clichabs says:

Hockey is a TEAM game. It’s about individual players working TOGETHER in a task called WINNING games. It’s not about who made the best play on a goal.

174. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Yes, I agree. Also, if Gomez doesn’t make that nice play to make sure PK is open, he never takes the shot in the first place. It took two great plays to make that goal happen. Nice job, boys.

175. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not, but I am kind of getting sick of reading how Gomez made such a great setup for PK (some people mentioned that PK should have gone right to Gomez after the goal to thank him for the nice pass.)

While Gomez did make a nice play to stop at the blue line and wait for PK, his setup isn’t such an amazing play. It’s not like he left PK with an open net or anything. He gave a PK a pass at the sideboards where PK had some room to shoot. The key to the goal was not the pass, but the laser that PK fired over the goalie’s shoulder short side with very little room for the puck. THAT was the nice play.

176. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Watch the play again. Gomez freezes Pardy with a fake wind-up, giving PK the room to shoot. No question that laser was the better of the two plays, but without Gomez’s fake, PK never gets that off. EDIT: Here’s the link, just so you don’t have to search for it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pBSS6hEHiw

177. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Like I said, Gomez made a nice play. But, let’s be honest, if PK hits the goalie in the chest, no one even remembers Gomez’s play. It would just be another inoffensive shot from the perimeter.

178. joeybarrie says:

Gomez does a great job of knowing exactly where to go with the puck to give himself the two options that froze the def. PK coming along his right side, and (Gio i think???) is on his left moving to the net. His fake was great, it was unsure whether it was a pass to the right or maybe a shot, which he turned into a pass to PK. Just because it wasn’t fancy and over dramatic doesn’t mean there isnt alot of skill in poisiton playing and knowing how to move defensive players.

THE ONLY THING PK DID WAS PUT IT IN THE NET, everything else was Gomez. Now don’t get me wrong, it takes alot to do that too, and he deserves all the ARCHER accolades he gets, but Gomez was in a good position to receive the puck which he did, he moved it up and created the space for both players. He gave himself two options and one of the worked out…. BEAUTIFUL.

The fact you said IT WAS A NICE PLAY, you really should be giving the players that made the WHOLE PLAY happen some credit, including the defender that blocked the puck and got it right away to Gomez (Gill I think).

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

179. StevieRay says:

differance maker … my mistake

180. StevieRay says:

I get your point but at the same time the “real ” big guys did step up .. Pleks 4 in 5 , Cammi 3 in 4 ,Benny 3 in 4.
    Some secondary offensive support from G&G would be nice .
    just saying ..tonite should be fun to see a couple of new faces …

181. J_P says:

I think the most annoying thing is that the team is never firing on all cylinders.  Pleks and Cammy will light it up for a stretch and than go quiet while gomez and gionta step it up with a little sprinkle of 3rd and 4th line scoring in between.  Its almost like the players feel that when one line is having a good night, they can take the night off.

182. Max_a_million says:

There are only 3 games left in January, I think there might still be a trade, but with such a light schedule PG has time.  I do think if Patches had been out for a month or more, they would have had to have done something.

183. habfan53 says:

Pac’s is only 4 games and 3 minutes

184. anotherhab says:

you must admit it was a nice setup by G-Love!!!

185. mike g says:

Last 5 games, Habs are 3-1-1. 7 out of 10 points, fine with me if those guys don’t score but we still win. And were 5-1-1 in our last 7. I know those guys need to pick it up, but it’s great to see the team can still win when the big guys don’t score. Well, they’re not big, but you get my point.

186. joeybarrie says:

You obviously didn’t see the play. It was all Gomez. He played the defenders like they were puppets.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

187. StevieRay says:

Last 5 games ..
    Gionta 0 points ,
    Pacs 0 points ,
    Gomez 1 point…
    Gomez’s 1 point …thanks to PK
    ..nuff said !

188. HabFanSince72 says:

Gionta is really bad.

I know I know – he has a big heart. But give me someone with a regular size heart and a nasty wrist shot any day.

189. coachdoug says:

He is a dirt cheap back-up at that price though…Holland and the Wings are the masters at making “lemonade”

190. HabFanSince72 says:

Nabokov should have stuck to butterfly chasing. He is not the keeper you want for a run at the cup.

“The Detroit Red Wings signed veteran goaltender Evgeni Nabokov to a one-year, $570,000 contract on Thursday.

The contract includes a no-move clause and Nabokov, who must clear waivers before joining the Red Wings, cannot be put back on waivers after Friday without his permission.

Also, he is ineligible to play in American Hockey League this season due to league rules regarding free agents coming from Europe after Decemeber 15″. (From TSN)

It’s all in the details.  And people wonder why Detroit is always a step ahead of the pack.

I wonder if Chicago might put in a waiver claim.  Turco isn’t cutting it and Nabokov would be good insurance to go along with Crawford.  There would also be an opportunity to sign for next year, just like there will be in Detroit.  I can’t see much difference between playing in the two cities.  They’re both upper echelon teams.

192. Cool Ice Price says:

Yeah, I hit my stubbed my toe last night on the way to the bathroom. Yup I had tears in my eyes I tell ya.

Habs Passion unites us all

193. Cool Ice Price says:

Not play JM’s system?

Habs Passion unites us all

194. TomNickle says:

We want Spezza, no we don’t, yeah we do, no we don’t.  I am throughly convinced at this point that the Sens have no direction or grasp on what they want to be, where they want to go or who they want to do it with.

Which of course, is good news for us…..for now.

Kovy is gone in three months.  However, the three year, +35 contract to Gonchar has to be the most assinine sigining of the summer.  A desperate measure by a desperate man.

196. TomNickle says:

Spezza and Gonchar would be the first two to go.

How Murray put a lazy and very one dimensional player like Gonchar on that roster in good conscience is hilarious to me.

I’ve been saying all year, since this summer in fact that he’s put together the laziest team in NHL history.  Spezza, Gonchar, Ruutu, Campoli, Kovalev among others.

It’s unreal.  Mike Fisher, Erik Karlsson, Chris Phillips and Nick Foligno are the only roster players I would keep on that roster.  He really needs to clean house.

I think the real problem is that some of these guys haven’t been playing like they want to save Clouston’s job.

Bryan Murray has assembled the biggest collection of half-milers in the NHL.  It’s time for a total re-build, just like in Calgary.  It starts by firing Murray.

198. TomNickle says:

They’ve been playing for Clouston’s job for a month, it hasn’t changed the results.

199. avatar_58 says:

So do you think a standing O + ole chant will make Saku cry?

200. mike g says:

I think a really loud standing O and Saku chant will. I’d even like to see it, not because I like to see people cry lol, but it would be like him saying thank you to us and showing how much he misses his time here. The “thank you” hand gestures are all nice and stuff, but when you see tears you know it hit home.

201. Aaron13 says:

Does Red still play the original Pong on his old Atari mini-computer?

202. notbigbird says:

Let me spell it out. It’s a lot about goaltending.

203. Say Ash says:

Their goalies, part of the team, are playing badly. Their record plainly indicates that. No misleading going on here.

204. notbigbird says:

I give. You’re an Einstein.

205. mike g says:

Kovalev returns to the lineup tonight for the Sens. Well, physically at least..

206. Say Ash says:

“not playing nearly as badly as their record indicates. They are getting scored on pretty easily and finding it hard to score”

uh, this makes no sense

207. notbigbird says:

Don’t get too cocky. From what I read the Sens are not playing nearly as badly as their record indicates. They are getting scored on pretty easily and finding it hard to score. The Habs are usually a perfect pick-me-up for struggling goalies.

208. mike g says:

I still think PG is trying to acquire a d-man. He knows Hamrlik, Gill and Spacek will be gassed come playoff time. And I don’t think Webber and/or Wiz should be playing 20+ minutes per night of 5 on 5 hockey. One’s too young, the other needs to be the main point on the PP and have his regular shift 5 on 5. I hope, and I think PG’s taking his time trying to find the right guy to come here and eat up some big minutes. The name that I keep dreaming about is that stud in CGY, but I have little confidence we’ll be able to land him. I’m not even sure he’s being shopped. But anyways, I hope a nice d-man is added. The scoring will come afterwards, because it all starts with solid play in your own end.

209. smiler2729 says:

Probably would have happened in the old days… this new CBA salary cap CRAP makes trades both rare and boring.

210. Max_a_million says:

I was wrong.  I predicted a trade would have been made by this afternoon.  I was under the assumption that Patches had a broken rib and would be out for four weeks.  That turned out to be not true.

I was wrong.

“I need player who hate to lose” D. Irvin

211. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Sometimes I don’t even know why I bother. It’s like you guys are TRYING to wreck our penalty kill.

212. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Pyatt? Deals off, OV doesn’t kill penalties.

213. fbkj says:

ovie and a conditional for moen

What are you talking about? OV would be great on the PK. Martin would convert him to a defensive forward faster than you can say Lemaire coaching Lafleur.

215. fbkj says:

darche, white, spacek and auld for ovechkin… washington would be INSANE not to jump on this

216. kempie says:

Only if they throw in Backstrom and Semin and a 1st.

217. The Cat says:

I think Washington and San jose are not going full pedal to the metal on purpose so far.

218. Habsrule1 says:

Hey guys,

Ovechkin is having a lot of trouble this year. What would you think about the Habs trading Darche, White and Spacek for him? Maybe throw in Auld?

The Habs never think of these things!!

219. krob1000 says:

that’s a joke right? you do know they would want Pyatt or Desharnais too right? give your head a shake.

220. smiler2729 says:

Oh here’s a good deal: how ’bout Washington trades Ovechkin to Montreal for NOTHING!

221. StevieRay says:

They will also be playing for Coulson to keep his job …
    wonder how the habs would play if it was for JM to keep his job ??

222. DearyLeary says:

I’m always wary of teams that just got thumped.  I think it’s going to be a tough game tonight, especially with a depleted lineup.

edit: and if Saku gets anything less than a standing ovation, it’ll be a travesty.

223. mike g says:

And especially since the Sens have only 1 win in their past 11, who better to beat than a team who’s got a ton of injuries. They may be tired from getting smoked by the Flyers last night and travelling overnight. We shall see..

224. Cool Ice Price says:

It doesn’t matter where it is. A Veteran player making that kind of money & producing next to nothing for what he gets paid should just keep quiet IMO. But who am I but a lowly Habs fan that pays top dollar to see my team play hockey

Habs Passion unites us all

225. Captain aHab says:

I like when he says rather proudly that a 1000 word article only takes a couple of minutes to transmit to the office from the Forum.

226. twocents says:

The Red Fisher segment on Hockey Magazine with Dick Irvin is gold, baby, pure gold.

227. HabFanSince72 says:

The Martin Leclerc article on Saku gets it precisely right. Nothing to add really.

228. Top Corner says:

Iam really pumped to see what this team will play like tonight !!!

Saturday night will be fun as well , especially with Saku’s return….and this guy >>  http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/01/20/pesky-lapierre-0/

229. habs001 says:
    many times stats may not tell the real story of a team but these are some of our stats and some have to be improved to become a true cup contender

overall points  12th
                         road points tied for  21st
                         home points tied for 2nd
                         plus minus  12th
                         pp  11th
                         pk  2nd
                         goals for 26th
                         goals against 4th

we really have only two stats that are are pretty bad and that is the road record and goals for… if we can maintain the other stats but improve a little bit on the 2 poor stats we can become a real contender
  230. awesomerino says:

Sigh … histrionics?  Really, Hickey?  It’s bad enough he can’t sustain a thought for more than a paragraph, now he’s exacerbating the PK drama with hyperbole?  Booooooooo.

It’s getting to the point where Boone’s is the only readable local Anglo coverage of the Habs.

231. da habs says:

ok this is getting bad i have to say my 2 cents worth first and formost i wish the media  leave subban alone to play hockey and gomez what right does he have to say something abouth subban”s celabrations on scoring the overtime goal first this is comming from a guy who gets paid MILLIONS and plays like crap,second when ovechkin scores its a huge deal when he jumps into the glass listen if all the players toned it down  hockey would be so boring nobody would want to watch it, thats why we are having shootouts, we need kids like this to create fun and leave us guessing what they will do next.

232. Cool Ice Price says:

I don’t think that Gomez has the right to talk about any player on the team. It’s the players making half of his salary playing harder that have the right to say something if they choose. IMO Gomez has been a bust since he got here. He reminds me of Kovalev in that he bursts to the oppostions blue line only to lose the puck more times than not. Some may say that he was great in the playoffs last spring, so were alot of other Habs. No sense in beating a dead horse but the Gomez signing was the biggest mistake that Bob Gainey ever made. Well maybe second, Bob should have handled Price better then he did when Price 1st came to Montreal. A player getting over $7 mil per should produce more than what he has. The Habs could get to good players for $4 mil per.

Habs Passion unites us all

233. da habs says:

yes your right bang on i would trade gomez for a 200th draft pick and take the loss he should be so lucky to play in the NHL never mind montreal and im a big gainey fan and your right he did make a mistake on that one.

234. RGM says:

Last I looked this is Canada. He has every right to say what he wants. The amount of credibility and stock that people put into it is variable.

235. CanadienBoy says:

Hey new subject the oilers will be  trading before the dead line and will get a other first round pick + finishing bottom 3, way to built a new dynasty,are we  ever going to get a top 3 pick ?

236. RGM says:

As I’m sure that you’re  a smart fella, barring a trade that lands us a pick from a team that does unexpectedly auwful, you know that won’t happen. Habs are just too good to be a lottery team.

Andrew Ladd – the one that would have looked great in a Habs’ uniform.

238. StevieRay says: