On to the nation’s capital

The Senators will be testy – but maybe tired – tonight after having their clocks cleaned in a fight-filled game in Philadelphia.

The Bruins game in hand was a loss.

And Saku’s team hits town after a loss to the Leafs, and Carolina beat the Rangers, which means the Canadiens can move back up to sixth with a win tonight.

Habs reload for trip to Ottawa

Gomez says he’s cool with P.K.’s act

Réjean Tremblay on the Canadiens transcending their injuries

Martin Leclerc on the return of Saku Koivu

Red Fisher shows off his 1970s vintage mini-computer (and he’s still got that hat)

Incendiary quotes from Kings GM Dean Lombardi

1. fbkj says:

auld started 2 games ago, hes the backup, we arent platooning the goalies

2. krob1000 says:

nah..no can of worms….it’s all relative…is there another NHL player that captained a team for a decade whose number is not retired or won’t be? I doubt it…don;t know for sure but I also doubt very much we’ll ever have another captain with a tenure like Saku witht he evloving NHl landscape…no bar lowering…just amrking on the curve which is appropriate…it isn;t a 6 team league, he played through several career ending injuries, he was the heartbeat of Montreal and for many years the ONLY hab worth watching.  Saku’s numbers are not all that impressive but we all saw him play….we also saw what he could do witha  inger everytime he played internatinally…where by the way he is very successful…..but there is nothing wrong with Saku’s number getting retired…people just view it taht way because were the Habs.  Let’s just suppose that the Habs wint the cup this year ….does that mean someone from this team gets his number retired if they only play a handful of seasons here? that is likely the way it will go…..Tenure is very important in number retiring in my opinion especailly in a time where it is very rare it happens.  You need to look no further than Stan Smyl, Dave Talyor, BRian Sutter,Glen Wesley, Thomas Steen, Neal Broten, Ken Daneyko, Danny Gare, Dale Hunter, Trevor Linden (probably best example), MaRKUS nASLUND..(vANCOUVER SEEMS TO HONOUR THEIR LONG SERVING CAPTAINS…RIGHTFULLY SO imo).We retired Denis Savard’s number despite his brief stay and being injured during our cup run. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_retired_numbers#Retired_numbers

We have an artificial sense of retired nubmer requirements like we have an artificial sense of success based on our past.

3. TomNickle says:

The difference in expectations is paramount when you consider that the glory day teams were booed in close victories and this team is cheered after a 1-0 victory after hanging on for life for 40 minutes.

The thing that sets our fans apart from every other teams is that this fan base acknowledges the subtleties of the game and appreciates them.  Blocked shot, stick checks, pass break ups, deflections.  You name it.

mg – A quick example of what we’re talking about.  I attend the Hab Summit every year and usually go with the head pro from my golf course.  He’s 36 and is a huge Hab fan.

He was born in 1975 and basically witnessed the two Roy Cups.  He has no direct link back to the “glory days” and tends to view the team from a here and now perspective.

Contrast that with myself who tends to hang out with the old farts like Ian, Punkster and Mike Boone.  We talk about today’s team but we do with a bit of smugness that we were fans of the “real” Hab teams from the glory days.  It’s not intentional, or elitest.  But the difference is quite evident.

5. shiram says:

I’m a recent hockey convert, though I’m older than Mike G.

I guess it affects us all differently, and while I would love to see the Habs hoist the Cup, I do rejoice at every little victory they achieve, I guess you have to realize you cannot dominate year after year, and the playing field has leveled some. There are still powehouse teams, but they cant keep their rosters for too many seasons.

You have to enjoy what you can in the game, this season I find it awesome to see Pk progress, he is showing so much improvement and maturity lately. Price too, and then there is this youth movement coming into the team.

6. HabFanSince72 says:

I have absolutely no time for Rejean Tremblay and Michel Blanchard (the ring leaders of the Saku doesn’t speak French stupidity), but did Saku really have to be so stubborn? The fact is he didn’t need to “learn French” – he only needed to learn like 30 words of French.

Footballers Andriy Shevchenko (Ukrainian) and Clarence Seedorf (Dutch) both learned to speak good Italian after moving to AC Milan (I suspect David Beckham didn’t but he has the IQ of a turnip).

Heck, I learned decent enough Italian from a book in one month prior to my first trip there after graduation. I can order a beer in German and haggle with a hooker in Dutch. All Saku had to do was learn 4-5 sentences. That’s all hockey players say anyway.

In any case I was a big fan and still am. I hope any H I/o ‘ers who go to the game start a standing O when the little guy takes his first shift.

7. notbigbird says:

The Flower is pretty well it for me too. I was kind of young for the fifties team and even missed Beliveau at his very best. So it’s Lafleur for me for the best with Beliveau actually earning more respect. I wasn’t paying as much attention in the Roy years.

Being in southwestern Ontario at the time, I didn’t have a lot of access to Habs stuff. I was in Leafs/Wings territory. I was also peeved about the loss of the Fyling Frenchman days. Winning grinding cups seemed like a come down although I would now be thrilled with one gained any old which way.

I also became peeved with hockey in general in the clutch and grab days. I think the New NHL (with all of its warts) and the arrival of BG kind of brought me back into the fold. Now, although I don’t post a lot, I’m pretty well glued to this site.

8. TomNickle says:

It’s a good point Steve you make Steve.  Dynasties will be a rarity in pro sports going forward.  Not because you need the big superstars, but because of several factors, like complacency after winning the big one and not having the mental toughness to do it numerous times, talent pools in all sports are so deep that teams are far more balanced.  Those are just two of the biggest reasons in my opinion.

And your entire post is why I don’t support tanking ironically.  If I can’t take pride in a dynasty I choose to take pride in our team building the right way, giving fans hope by fielding a competitive team while making the most out of the draft, trades and free agency.  Tanking is not a ticket to the Finals, I’m sure the Jackets, Thrashers, Panthers, Islanders and Coyotes can vouch for that.  So I admire the difficult decisions that the team faces(Price/Halak, whether or not to trade assets prior to playoff runs Kovalev/Komisarek).

This team, with the exception of the Roy years has never been about one man, and I appreciate that this franchise doesn’t allow it to become about one man.

9. habfan53 says:

Mike  I don’t think it is pro rated I understood last night that it was 550K for the balance of the season.

I disagree with you though If anybody wanted him they should have gone out and signed him (Wellwood too) He should be a free agent.  Nice move by Holland if he gets away with it.

10. krob1000 says:

great post …nothing wrong for shedding a tear for Saku…he is our Rudy…and that movie gets me every time…that and Rocky lol.

11. krob1000 says:

Hall of fame…probably not…number retired…absolutely. Koivu was not overevaluated…he was never over paid…he was a victim of various circumstances…injuries, the guy couldn’t escape them…and not little injuries things like cancer and having your eye nearly whacked out…nothing to do with fragility,etc. Koivu would repeatedly attack guys like Chara like David vs Goliath…but his body was the slingshot…Saku took more punishment in front of the net than any Hab in my time as a hockey fan…despite his size, Saku not a great captain? that is the worst assessment I have ever seen…..you think he was our captain so long because he wasn’t good at it.  Koivu was the only think keeping our torch lit for nearly 15 years….he was the only bright light in an otherwise dark time.  Was Gretzky a terrbile captain in the years he didn’t win? what about Messier when he went to Vancouver and they unretired a dead player’s number for him and they won nothing? does tha mean he couldn’t lead? Iginla has won nothing in Calgary…terrible captain.

Saku is one of the good guys…one of the truly good guys…..but we all know where good guys finish to many people…..sad but true…

12. mike g says:

Yup, good stuff..

I wanted to write a little about the change of expectations in the new NHL, including sadly having to lower our expectations for Habs dynasties, but my post was getting way too long.

But adding to what you’ve said, that’s why as crazy as it may sound, I think it may be right to retire his number one day.

We can agree that we’ve lowered our standars to the point that winnning a Cup every 20 years might even be the norm if this franchise has a rock solid foundation. And that’s nothing compared to before. So we can’t wait and hope for heros during that Cup year every once in a while, or hope that a 50 goal scorer pops onto our team for 10 years.

It’s time for us to honour and/or retire Saku’s number for everything else he did apart from winning trophy’s. He was the most dedicated player to this team and it’s city for almost 15 years. And since we likely will never see heroes like we once had and Cup parades almost every summer, I think it’s time to open the door to retiring player numbers based upon different standards. And if they simply can’t retire it, hanging an banner with his number up in the raftors but still allowing a player to wear it is just fine with me. As long as he’s up there with the other most important players this franchise has had during each era.

And who better to open that new beginning than Saku, a guy who’s medical contributions continue to open doors for the people of this city.

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

Who’s to blame – Muckler or Murray?

14. habfan53 says:

Watched the Fisher / Irvin Video.  Call me old but I like seeing the ice and boards with no advertising

15. joshua94k says:

If Ovechkin and the Capitals win against the leafs it could get ugly….

From the Toronto Star:

Talk about too easy of a target. Tim Horton’s in Toronto is selling the Leafs Donut in honour of their local heroes.

16. Caballero says:

Gomez needs to ditch the number 11, it has been unlucky for him for a reason.

17. Hobie Hansen says:

No problem buddy, you’re one of the good guys.

18. da habs says:

here here

19. CP31 says:

This may not be the proper thread but I don’t care! I’m getting ready to drive out for Saturday night’s game vs Anaheim, it was no mistake that my buddy and I chose this game when we bought tickets from the initial sale………….THE RETURN OF SAKU!!

I can honestly say that I have never been so excited for a live hockey game before in my life!

Ironically enough I began following the Habs in 1993 during their Cup run, the same year the Habs drafted Koivu. I never would’ve thought that over the course of the next 13 seasons I would so passionately love the Habs partly due to Roy but mostly due to The Finnish Lion.

Captain K played hard day in and day out, he played with a tenacity that you would expect of someone that was 6’6, 250lb player. He played throughout the turmoil of the Montreal media, through his battle with cancer, through various serious injuries, etc and not once did he ever complain but rather ALWAYS gave back to Montreal and always thought of this place as home. This was our CAPTAIN!

The respect and admiration of the fans that grew fond of him throughout the years, culminated that night Koivu returned from cancer against Ottawa. He loved his team and he loved his city, Montreal.

It’s now time for US fans to show the respect to one of most memorable Captain’s we have ever had. The love affair that I have for the Montreal Canadiens was built by Saku Koivu. And I for one expect to see 21,273 people (myself include, most likely the loudest person!) give Koivu an ovation that will rival the one he received after coming back from cancer, one that will make grown men cry and one that will create new love affair’s for young Hab fans.

WE WELCOME YOU BACK WITH OPEN ARMS SAKU, EVEN IF IT IS FOR ONLY 1 NIGHT!! THANKS FOR THE GREAT MEMORIES!!

“SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU”

I suppose Blackhawk and Penguins fans have no pride.

Face it. Apart from Burke’s Kessel fiasco there are no other ways to get the most sought after talent. Look at Tampa Bay. Think they’d be where they are without Stamkos?

Like I said earlier. 3 years and that’s it. If the Habs aren’t sniffing at the Cup by then and are still languishing in the middle of the pack, tanking better happen.

21. Everlasting1 says:

Mon dieu. Some of us have ADD, ya know.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

22. joshua94k says:

I was listening to Team 590 from Toronto yesterday and they said that Saku Koivu’s return to Montreal is a big story but they were wondering about the French Canadian fans giving Saku a warm welcome as they believe those fans weren’t apperciative of him being captain since he did not speak French.

What ignorant fools!

Only a few token media made a big hoopla about the language issue. All Canadiens fans, French Canadian included, loved Saku because he played with his heart every game. He was an inspiring leader who led by example. There is a reason he has served the longest term as captain of the most storied hockey franchise in the most demanding city. It is very sad that he could not hoist the Stanley Cup as a Montreal Canadien, what a great moment that would be. Let’s hope that he does comeback to this team again.

Hockey Night in Canada, please do the right thing be televising this game nationally. Fans who do not have cable from B.C. to P.E.I. do not want to watch the slumping Ovechkin and Capitals against the lowly Leafs.

23. Off-side says:

Just think what you could compose with two cups of coffee!

24. The Cat says:

I didnt say win, I meant as in being physical.

25. mike g says:

Yea, I know. Sorry about that. So many things were running through my head, and I just threw them out there. Next time I’ll keep it simple and to the point.

26. W35T5ID3 says:

Let me get this straight kitty,so…are you suggesting that the lowly lame struggling worse than the leafs Sens are gonna take the Habs???Did i hear that right?We aint gonna lose to those losers,eeesh.HAVE MORE BLOODY FAITH THAN THAT!!eeesh….Lose to the Sens?Lolollhaha

27. Cool Ice Price says:

Does a bear poop in the woods? LOL

Habs Passion unites us all

28. Cool Ice Price says:

It seems to work for Cindy Ruff

Habs Passion unites us all

29. krob1000 says:

yup…..that about sums it up.  Saku deserves nothing but respect…and I hope that if any of you are there and some idiot boos him….I would be really disappointed if I found out you didn’t pop them in the mouth…twice.

30. Hobie Hansen says:

Wow, Mr. Mike G. I love reading your comments, most of the time. This one however is a tad too long….

31. mike g says:

So, here’s my take on Saku’s return……

To start, I was never his biggest fan. I loved him for being on our team and knew that he was an important piece of the puzzle, but for some reason he was never my favorite player. After I turned 11 and stoped cheering for Jagr and the Pens, the Habs went from my 2nd favorite team to my 1st. And Saku was there, but being used to Jagr’s style of play and flash, I somehow chose Richard Zednik as my favorite Hab. I’m glad to say my choices have gotten better, as after Zednik I’ve chosen great guys like Markov, Pleks and Price. But anyways, back to Saku.

I always appreciated what he did for this team and city. But, I never found the need to really look at the details and consider everything he went through; small player at the end of the clutch and grab era, tons of injuries (most of them he played through), illness, being captain of the Habs during their longest and saddest drought, etc… I always figured that even though he never won the Cup here, the Habs would someday bring him back one night for all of us to enjoy him, simply because they know more than anyone just what he did for everyone. But even knowing he would be honoured one night, I didn’t know how it would go. Usually when they retire a jersey or stuff, they mention every personal trophy and Cup that they guy won. But Saku doesn’t have any of those, so I wondered how it would be.

But driving to work this morning, I realized that missing the trophy’s just adds value to the Saku era in this city. You see, some people have lifted me from my seat and made me jump with joy after scoring a big goal in the playoffs or something. But then there are those who go about their thing, without being too flashy or noticed, but once you sit back and think of it you get this feeling inside of you that overpowers every other emotion you’ve ever felt. And listening to a beautiful audio clip of Ron Fournier this morning, where he wonderfully honoured Koivu himself, that inside emotion took over.

Look, I’m 22 years old. I don’t remember winning the Cup in 93, I was 5 years old. I’ve never witnessed or been able to share the great feeling of “win” with all of my friends and family. Last year was the closest I came, but it wasn’t the way most in this city have celebrated over the Habs’ long history. But driving to work this morning, that emotion I spoke about above simply got the best of me. A tear, then 2, and I’m not sure how many more. But my eyes were so wattery that it was very difficult to drive. But I sucked it up and continued driving, just like Saku did his whole tenure here in Montreal.

I’m a little embarrased to share this with you guys, but maybe you would understand. We here on this site follow hockey more than anything else. We share the passion that players like Saku make us have. And in some special way, he was able to deliver that message to me without me even knowing it. I’m probably like most of you guys, a regular guy who doesn’t show much emotion. I think I can count on one hand how many times I’ve shed a tear for as long as I can remember. But what I do know for sure, is that the beautiful game of hockey has made me shed a couple only twice in my life; this morning remembering Saku, and when he returned from battling Cancer. Like I said before, he was never my favorite player because I liked the flashyness. But in following him my whole Hab life, I now know he wasn’t sent here to be flashy. Guys like Zednik and Kovalev were, and they sometimes did it very well, but once they’re gone they’re mostly forgotten. Some memories here and there, but that’s about it.

But guys like Saku are different. Guys like him are so much more special. It’s too bad for him that he wasn’t blessed to be on the best teams here, or play with the best players so that he could win a Cup for this city. But Koivu didn’t care, he took that as a positive and gave not only the hockey fans a treat, but he gave every single person in this province a gift. He gave sick little kids the gift of hope, hope for not a Stanley Cup, but hope simply for A life. He gave every small hockey player out there the hope of one day being able to play in what is often called a big mans sport. He showed constant passion and will to win, even when he could have given up and asked to leave because he knew there was no hope for this franchise back then.

But no, Saku was better than that. He knew that giving the gifts of life and instilling nice/hardworking qualities into Quebecois people, even when all odds were against them, was much more worth it than winning a Cup. And what better way to send those messages than playing for the Montreal Canadiens?

There simply isn’t.

A franchise who has the most trophy’s and Cups, by far. If anything, the one thing this new generation of fans needed was a life lesson linked with hockey. It’s great to open a book about Habs history and read about stories years and years ago, that made people so proud and everything. But I never get that feeling of, “hey, I remember that.” But now, after looking back at everything Koivu has done for this city, it’s people and this hockey team, I can finally look back and fully appreciate the man and player that he was.

And, I can finally say, “hey, I remember that.”

So thank you Saku. Thank you for never giving up…..

32. Hobie Hansen says:

Yikes. Hopefully the Sens don’t come after us tonight like they did in Philadelphia last night. I think Neal, Ruttu and Carkner could take out our entire team…unless White is in the lineup, he may be able to go toe to toe with Ruttu?

I think you’ve got to come back with Auld.  Logic dictates this is the game he should start and win.  It’s also way too early to start dwelling on the one lousy outing he’s had so far.

34. Cool Ice Price says:

I agreee 24

Habs Passion unites us all

Senators show some fight but still lose 6-2 to Philadelphia.

36. The Cat says:

Koivu wasnt the habs longest serving captain btw.

37. Cool Ice Price says:

Auld OR Price tonight, that is the question?

Habs Passion unites us all

38. krob1000 says:

Carbo capt 5 years, a cup, 3 selke’s, 12 years with club…widely regarded as the best defensive forard in the game in his time…I would not have a problem with that either…not any time soon since his terrible coaching stint may have temporarily tarnished his image but I think Guy is also deserving.  Koivu capt 10 years, 10th all time scoring, 6th all time assists, 2nd longest serving captain, perhaps greatest off ice Hab next to Beliveau, hero to any human being for hsi ability to defy odds and battle through any obstacle, never had a team or two real wingers to play with, could have left for greener pastures but chose not to.  I have no oudbt in my mind his jersey will get retired …and Carbo too will someday…Carbo is the last guy fromthe winning teams that deserves it but I think he delayed it witht he coaching stint..that’s all. Carbo deserves it too IMO.  Thee best in the game at his role for nearly a decade….

39. mike g says:

I think Saku’s return could not have had better timing. He’s coming back over a year after he left. We’ve had time to move on, for things to settle in and appreciate him even more. If he would’ve returned last year, I think some of the bs regarding his tenure here would have still been fresh and it wouldn’t have been the same. Tomorrow will be something special, probably the last time we see him lace up a pair and skate on the Bell Center ice.

40. The Cat says:

I have a feeling it might get ugly tonight. They go from a team they couldnt handle last night to a team they can handle tonight.

41. The Cat says:

My thoughts pretty much. But its his moment to enjoy and hes earned it and hopefully the fans will not be douchebags.

42. Icey Matt says:

You are obviously unaware of the stipulations of the Nabokov deal… if he is claimed off of waivers the team who claims him is unable to trade him without Detroit having the option to “steal” him back.

43. TomNickle says:

I’m on the fence when it comes to the decision on whether or not to retire his number.  The problem with doing it is that every name and number hanging at the Bell Centre is close to transcendent in hockey, his name is not and will never be.

If you retire his number you open up a big can of worms going forward by setting a lower bar on who’s jersey goes up.

44. fbkj says:

koivu always said merci at the end of an interview and in regards to gionta, well thats a marketting decision and pre-game production for habs games really only amped up post lockout so thats not a fair argument as you pointed out

45. TomNickle says:

If anybody has the stupidity to boo Koivu at the game they’ll very likely have a face full of knuckles courtesy of some bystanders.

46. TomNickle says:

That entire post is your opinion, and while you’re entitled to it, others are entitled to disagree with it.  If you asked me today if I would retire his number, I would say no.  That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t reconsider, but as of today his jersey shouldn’t be up with the others in my opinion.  And just because Denis Savard is up there doesn’t mean he should be, two wrongs don’t make a right.

47. mike g says:

No doubt it could come back to haunt you and sort of puts a black stain on your GM’s resume. I even said that in my post. But this year we’ve seen 2 teams do it to the Blues. I never thaught teams would do it, let alone twice to the same team in 1 month. So maybe teams are starting to do it now because the ice has been broken and it’s more acceptable? I don’t know, and none of us do because were sitting here on HIO and not in a front office position.

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

Ottawa’s version of the Mike Boone reverse jinx.

49. mike g says:

I would claim him but not play him, because like you pointed out I fear another controversy. Price and the Habs are fully commited to eachother, and Price now feels comfortable and is doing an excellent job as our #1. No need to mess with that chemistry. But, I’d still claim him, but make him sit at home until I trade him and get something in return. It’s business. If I can get a valuable asset like Nabokov for free and use him to acquire a player needed on this roster, I’m winning that deal 100%.

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

mike g – I think you’ve hit on an important issue that we all face here on HI/O (see his post below). The glory days of the Habs are long gone. In fact, it will soon be 20 years since the team last won a Cup. The harsh truth is that those days will probably never come back. In today’s NHL, a Cup once in a lifetime is all that any team can expect. The only ones that can possibly do better are the franchises with elite superstars. Right now, I only see three of those players in the NHL.

I watched the Richard brothers, Beliveau and Lafleur wins numerous Cups. I also marveled at how Patrick Roy won the Cup for us back in ’93. Reliving this great history is a joy for me, but it’s also my Achilles Heel. I still want the Habs to be like they were, I still feel that anything less than winning the Cup is failure. Making the playoffs to only get bounced in the first or second round is not much better than not making the post-season. I realize this isn’t a realistic viewpoint in today’s age, it’s a struggle that I try and deal with when posting on the site. I sometimes lose the enjoyment of the moment because I’m always looking at the big picture. Always wanting the Habs to be like they once were.

Every generation has their heroes. The Flower was my man. For many, Patrick Roy was the last great Hab. That may be true in terms of Cup glory, but the Hab fans of today must still try and cheer for the players that excite them the most. Even if those players will never be all-stars or win Stanley Cups. They need to live in the moment and not dwell on a long, gone era. If that’s true, then I would suggest that Saku Koivu is a true hero for the Habs. He was a beacon of light during Montreal’s dark ages. He may not have a Cup ring, but he’s still the player we should admire the most as we look back on the last 15 years. He is due his place in history. Today, players such as Price, Pleks and Subban prepare to take his place. They may well become the next great generation of Habs, even if they don’t have multiple Cup rings. These are the jerseys that today’s fans should be wearing, not the ones from the past.

The criteria for greatness has changed in Montreal. We’ve had to adjust our expectations. Failure to do so, leaves us clinging to the past. What joy is there in the here and now, if we are unable to enjoy the love of the game?

It’s time for all of us to turn the page and accept what we are given by today’s team in the new, modern era of the NHL.

51. Off-side says:

Who cares what they say in Toronto.  Besides, let’s assume for a minute that a few people did not like that Koivu made no attempt to speak French.  This does not mean that those same people didn’t like anything else about him.  Is this what a Torontonian would do?  If they say this then they must THINK this way themselve

52. joeybarrie says:

WELL, when Koivu first came to town, in his first season he was walking across the parking lot to the Brossard Champlain Mall. I was driving with my Girlfriend (at the time). We were arguing in the car and i was looking at her, and when she looked up, she screamed. I looked up and jammed on the brakes as i saw a guy walking across the street and had a deer in headlights look at my car, where he though i was going to run him over. I was pretty close. He just walked away, and my girlfriend said, hey isnt that the new guy we just got from Europe??? I said couldn’t be. Well fast forward 5 or so years and I saw him having a drink at the bar at McKibbon’s. I decided to go over and say hi and offer to buy him a beer since I almost killed him. Fully expecting that it wasn’t really Koivu by the way, he responded with a simple….. GREEN VOLVO as he pointed to me. Well Koivu doesn’t pay at most bars he goes to, so I couldn’t buy him a beer, but he is a pretty nice guy.

Again, same thing, no autographs or anything. I just look at it like any other guy at the bar. I saw him a few times after that at a few other bars and we had a few drinks again, but I can’t tell those stories, cause we would both be in trouble…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

53. matraque says:

Of course it’s marketing decision!  But a well received one and that is all the management had to do with Saku.

Gary Carter is a perfect example… everyone thought he was speaking french… In reality, he was not.  He knew and was taught how to place the 30 french words he knew.

——

Canadien en 5! Never go Full Retard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svwGRJA28lY&feature=related

54. fbkj says:

when did you start following the habs, honest question?

55. Matt_in_TO says:

After reading what Lombardi and Murray said after the game concerning the goal, I would love it if just once someone in the Habs organization would do the same thing.  It would be worth the fine.

- In Price We Trust

56. RGM says:

I suppose so. But would you really want the Habs to be on that level? This is a classy organization – I would rather they remain as such instead of having a buffoon behind the bench that makes his team look ridiculous. For the benefit of 2 extra power plays per game, it just isn’t worth it.

57. matraque says:

Saku’s return… Great man, a lot of respect for what he has accomplished as a person.

Hall of Fame, probably not.

Number retired, probably not.

He’s no Yzerman, Sakic…  Not a great captain.  A good one in a not so good team…  Koivu was over-evaluated by Habs…  It would probably have been a diff story if we had a better team at that time and him as a 2nd line center.

I’ve never been a big fan of the hockey player (i stated that many times).  Tomorrow, it’s the return of a great and and a good hockey player.  Not a great one.

Habs win tomorrow… 3-1 and the only Ducks goal scored by Lapierre (i’m kidding… Koivu).

——

58. HabsFanInTampa says:

As a child I once had to use a leaf to wipe my behind when I had to go #2 in the woods. Maybe Stan Lee can use that as his motivation for his Toronto Maple Leaf superhero.

59. fbkj says:

you skipped the part about pre-game production

60. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Denis Savard? Let’s not get crazy here. 18 is retired for Serge Savard. I am also on the fence about a Koivu jersey retirement, although I’m leaning more towards doing it. If it doesn’t happen, I wouldn’t call it a travesty, but I think we could stand to lose one more number. Who says we can’t start going into triple digits?

Louis Leblanc – #572 in your program, #1 in your heart.

61. CP31 says:

Sorry about the formatting, but you get my point!

FROM SAKU TO GIO, SAME STATURE AND JUST AS MUCH HEART!! GREAT DECISION!!

62. HabsFanInTampa says:

I have reservations about this marketing strategy. What do you folks think?

63. TomNickle says:

This isn’t about the torch though.  Gionta has it.  Gainey, Roy, Bouchard, Dryden, Savard, Lach, Robinson.

These guys had their numbers retired twenty years after they were done playing hockey for the most part.

Don’t expect Koivu to go up there in the next two decades is all I’m saying.

And there are players more deserving to go up first.  Starting with Lemaire, Shutt, Carbonneau

The heat continues to build on Cory Clouston.

65. Off-side says:

> So many things were running through my head.

Like coffee?  :)

66. Cool Ice Price says:

I see your point, I really do. But how many times are you going to get kicked in the guts before you lose it?

Habs Passion unites us all

Agree, totally.  Right from the start, I always thought that Auld would get about a dozen starts at well timed intervals of the year.  I figure this game qualifies as one of those times.  We’re playing one of the weakest teams in the league on a back-to-back weekend.

68. Matt_in_TO says:

I’m guessing it’s being aimed at young kids.  Kind of a cool concept but don’t really see how it relates.  At least our guardian is cool and seems to be pretty powerful.  I can’t wait to see the Toronto one and what Lee came up with.  How exactly do you translate a leaf into a super hero?

- In Price We Trust

69. mike g says:

Yea for sure, but it’s strange that I only had one cup so far and was able to type so much.

70. Julie H says:

Little sad that Koivu and the Ducks couldn’t pull of a win against the Laughs. Hopefully we can pull off a win against the Sens. That would be a nice way to welcome the weekend.

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

71. TomNickle says:

Read below, I think Lemaire and Shutt will go up before Carbonneau and or Koivu.

72. Displaced says:

Some HIO folks have been railing about the draft for wrongly providing a reverse incentive for teams to underperform.  It finally hit me while watching an Ovechkin replay. Drafting in reverse order is a relic of a non-capped NHL./

The NHL drafts rules (pun intended, but not worth much) like revenue sharing, player movement, salary floors and caps, to help ensure parity.  Accordingly, all teams have reasonably similar chances for success and there is no inherent reason to suck./

How does this affect the Habs? Good question.  We’re not going to waste a season.  So, our chance to get an ultra high pick is slim to none.  When considering how important this is, look at the list of Hart Trophy winners since the NHL started the cap and that player’s draft position: 2010, Sedin (third overall);  2008 and 2009, Ovie (first),  2007 Sid (first), 2006 Thornton (first)./

So, why should non-playoff teams automatically have a shot – let alone a weighted improved chance – to draft the best players each year.  It makes NO SENSE.  The draft should be fully randomized, like a draft in a fantasy league.  The NHL could select the order for selections in the first round and then let those teams chose players in reverse order in alternating rounds.  For example, the team randomly selected to draft first in round one, gets pick #30 in round 2, pick #1 in round 3, pick #30 in round 4, and so on./

Viola – no bias for teams to tank and no reward for screwing up.  There are two minor (IMO) problems with this.  First, it would make trading first round picks very dangerous.  Second, teams that do suck would lose a big marketing opportunity parading out the next Patrick Stepan (bad example, but you get the point)./

But, there are counter arguments to each.  Going from memory (I’m sure someone can proffer a stat on this) most first round picks are traded in the off-season when teams know where they draft.  For cases like throwing in a first rounded for Kovy last season, both teams would have to really think about the value of that pick – it could be #1 or it could be #30.  The counter to the second point, is likely less acceptable to the NHL marketing department.  The most needed team from a marketing standpoint loses an asset.  On the other hand, all teams can market the “chance to pick first”.  Second, and really the point of all this, teams have to focus on winning.  There is no Mario Lemieux payoff to losing more games down the stretch compared to NJ (sorry Kirk, you were really good, just not “Super”)./

Sorry for rambling, it just took me a while to understand what you’ve been talking about./

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

73. mike g says:

So, Nabokov on waivers at 12. Who’s gonna pick him up? I think a team will snag him before he gets to Detroit, especially since it’s only a one year deal worth a pro-rated 575k. That’s peanuts for Nabby. And you know what, if he gets unclaimed and it’s the Habs’ turn to decide if they take him or not, I say take him. Don’t play him, instead call the teams who are interested in him and trade him. If they really want him, they’ll have to trade for him. It’s playing hardball, but teams this year seem to have no fear in doing it. If you wanna sign a UFA for free, do it in the summer. If you do it now, too bad you might have to pay the price. Unless there’s an unwritten rule out there in the GM world that goes against this, then every team should try do it. But the way players have been claimed this year, I’m not sure it’s that popular of a rule…

74. HabsFanInTampa says:

Same here.

Kovy is gone in three months.  However, the three year, +35 contract to Gonchar has to be the most assinine sigining of the summer.  A desperate measure by a desperate man.

76. TomNickle says:

We want Spezza, no we don’t, yeah we do, no we don’t.  I am throughly convinced at this point that the Sens have no direction or grasp on what they want to be, where they want to go or who they want to do it with.

Which of course, is good news for us…..for now.

77. TomNickle says:

Spezza and Gonchar would be the first two to go.

How Murray put a lazy and very one dimensional player like Gonchar on that roster in good conscience is hilarious to me.

I’ve been saying all year, since this summer in fact that he’s put together the laziest team in NHL history.  Spezza, Gonchar, Ruutu, Campoli, Kovalev among others.

It’s unreal.  Mike Fisher, Erik Karlsson, Chris Phillips and Nick Foligno are the only roster players I would keep on that roster.  He really needs to clean house.

78. TomNickle says:

They’ve been playing for Clouston’s job for a month, it hasn’t changed the results.

I think the real problem is that some of these guys haven’t been playing like they want to save Clouston’s job.

Bryan Murray has assembled the biggest collection of half-milers in the NHL.  It’s time for a total re-build, just like in Calgary.  It starts by firing Murray.

80. Cool Ice Price says:

Not play JM’s system?

Habs Passion unites us all

81. joeybarrie says:

You obviously didn’t see the play. It was all Gomez. He played the defenders like they were puppets.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

82. habfan53 says:

Pac’s is only 4 games and 3 minutes

83. StevieRay says:

Last 5 games ..
    Gionta 0 points ,
    Pacs 0 points ,
    Gomez 1 point…
    Gomez’s 1 point …thanks to PK
    ..nuff said !

84. HabFanSince72 says:

Gionta is really bad.

I know I know – he has a big heart. But give me someone with a regular size heart and a nasty wrist shot any day.

85. anotherhab says:

you must admit it was a nice setup by G-Love!!!

86. mike g says:

Last 5 games, Habs are 3-1-1. 7 out of 10 points, fine with me if those guys don’t score but we still win. And were 5-1-1 in our last 7. I know those guys need to pick it up, but it’s great to see the team can still win when the big guys don’t score. Well, they’re not big, but you get my point.

87. Habsrule1 says:

Hey guys,

Ovechkin is having a lot of trouble this year. What would you think about the Habs trading Darche, White and Spacek for him? Maybe throw in Auld?

The Habs never think of these things!!

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

88. fbkj says:

darche, white, spacek and auld for ovechkin… washington would be INSANE not to jump on this

89. krob1000 says:

that’s a joke right? you do know they would want Pyatt or Desharnais too right? give your head a shake.

90. smiler2729 says:

Oh here’s a good deal: how ’bout Washington trades Ovechkin to Montreal for NOTHING!

91. kempie says:

Only if they throw in Backstrom and Semin and a 1st.

92. The Cat says:

I think Washington and San jose are not going full pedal to the metal on purpose so far.

93. andrewberkshire says:

Did that pretty much all of highschool, that’s Fort Mac though, everyone works obscene hours.

94. andrewberkshire says:

Haven’t lived there since 2005 (not counting summers) but yeah I don’t miss it. My parents still live there and they can’t wait to get out.

95. CBrady12 says:

Ok but I never said how long he would play or that hes fine and it would be easy. I just said that two weeks for a bruised rib is excessive. for god sake its written right in front of you and you still take it out of context…

96. Propwash says:

You missed a few conversations that were doozys

I don’t follow the NBA, but this Blake Griffin is amazing.  Great entertainment.

This is the kind of guy we should be drafting!

98. Maksimir says:

Last name Brodeur = Shut Out against Habs tonight.

How’s that for positive thinking!

99. Matt_in_TO says:

There’s a connection there.  The Al’s and Bulldogs is pretty obvious.  Southern Ontario is full of Habs fans and you can bet they were the ones starting it at the World Jrs.

- In Price We Trust

100. Mattyleg says:

Anyone see the video of me snubbing HI/O this morning?

All I have to say about it is this:

“You know you don’t really want to see that… it’s just… you know, I was looking at my girlfriend… the website is obviously excited… it’s like, I’m probably going to laugh about it later… she was just like… I’ll probably write something on the wall later… I don’t know what this is all about…”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

101. CBrady12 says:

How is it any different? Both are exactly the same, COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS!! there are professionals who work for the team and if they say he can play, then he can play. No matter what you or I or anyone here says, our comments mean nothing and have no bearing on what actually goes on inside an nhl team. So sorry, there is no difference.

102. petrov14 says:

Is that quote for real? Wow, so sad…..

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

103. observer says:

c/p ny giants blog

If draft was today, I’d trade down and draft C, Stefan Wisniewski.

104. VancouverHab says:

Yo HBs72L

For a famous philosopher, your empiricism sucks.

Beckham speaks Spanish (with a pretty decent accent)

105. PeterD says:

Long hours but the money is good though… :-)

106. PeterD says:

good one , LMAO

107. punkster says:

Bit early for “post of the day” but you’re in the lead.

***Subbang!!!***

108. petrov14 says:

*Slow clap* Well done!

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

109. andrewberkshire says:

This is very true.

110. PeterD says:

I feel for you man…I lived in Fort McMurray for 33 1/2 years…lots of winters and sub zero weather…here you have had some -40 weather there lately…It is a great place to live, earn a living and retire from…

111. StevieRay says:

YOu can say that again .. the kid who was a #1 pick for the LA Clippers has a Double Double in over 20 straight games .. 20 points /20 rebounds don’t know how to putthat in Hockey context but it’s a rare feat .. especially for a young guy .

112. CBrady12 says:

no but what difference does that make? getting checked is going to somehow turn his bruise into a fuckin collapsed lung?

Ya know Gainey once played with two separated shoulders at the same time…The trainers just popped them back into place and he went back onto the ice…

Stop babying these guys…

113. athanor says:

And did he have guys trying to crush him into walls?

Of course the Bell Centre crowd wont boo Koivu. He’d have to be wearing a Habs uniform for that to happen.

115. Bugs says:

Forgive absence. Hard at work. Paid off.

Media agent infiltrates Habs ranks: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/2011/01/undercover-media-agent-infiltrates-habs.html

(What, no hyperlinkin no more?)

116. twocents says:

Ah Bugs, good to see ya. I had begun to wonder if those NESN bastiches had cyper-napped you. I was trying to get someone on here, with some technical knowledge, to rally a bunch of nanobots to find you.

Anyway, just glad your back.

I’m looking forward to those reports from Svenski.

117. fbkj says:

pretty sure i told you but i took mona to that game and they were sitting like 2 sections away from us… against the oilers… we won… pk wasnt even playing lol

118. observer says:

the more important thing – it is lapierre’s first game since leaving unceremoniously.

119. CBrady12 says:

Well obviously he wont be at 100%. He will be in pain, but somehow humans are capable of living and yes, even playing hockey through pain…we arent talking about playing with damaged ligaments or something where playing with it will make it much worse, we are talking about playing through pain, and I’m sure he will be out there before the all star break.

120. The Cat says:

Hab fans are generally held in low regard throughout the league, but thats understandable, passionate fans of any team are bound to be hated. BUT stealing a south american soccer chant and claiming it as your own is over the line and uncalled for, should be above that sort of thing.

121. CBrady12 says:

listen. first he was at practice yesterday so obviously by some miracle he can breathe. Second, Im not sayin he shouldnt miss any time, take today and tomorrow off that fine. Im just sayin to the OP who said that he shouldnt play until after the ASG that IMO two weeks off for a bruised rib is excessive. Seeing as how we need him in the lineup, i wouldnt be surprised to see him play tonight.

122. Hobie Hansen says:

The Sens are completely brutal, played last night and are without their top player. if we lose tonight it would be disturbing. Especially since we’re playing in Scotia Bank Place where 60% of the building are Habs fans..

123. JD_ says:

I think I’d want to see the guy on skates before draftin’ him, 24C.

I wondered about that, too.

MaxPac is the only one who really knows how bad it is, but I’m sure it hurts like hell.  Breathing is going to be an issue.

Watch out for guys like Neil, Carkner and Ruutu.  They’ll be trying to take advantage.

125. The Cat says:

You mean they sing it? Or do they just go Ooooleeee! I dont think thats quite the same thing.

126. ZepFan2 says:

Trust me. The cheers will drown out any idiots that are booing!

127. smiler2729 says:

C’mon man, NOBODY will boo Saku Koivu tomorrow night, in fact, it’ll be an ovation to remember like the Rocket in ’96 and Saku’s return in ’02.

The sh*t-for-brains that would boo are the same baby brains that boo the anthems. Real Hab fans will drown them out.

128. Cool Ice Price says:

If recent history serves me correctly, the Habs tend to lose to teams that suck. No?

Habs Passion unites us all

129. andrewberkshire says:

It’s a Spanish bull fighting chant, so soccer fans stole it too.

130. habaholic68NJ says:

I hope the team rests MaxPac until after the all-star break.  Until then, Pouliot can play in his place and White can take over on the third line.

131. bwoar says:

A slight hesitation, due to pain or lack of breath, can lead to a turnover and goal.  That’s hockey, please start watching it for a while before commenting.

132. Propwash says:

He will probably stay away from the front of the net and do his best to avoid checks. He won’t be the same player for awhile.

133. savethepuck says:

His first start of the season, he’s come in in relief 3 times this year. He had 3 starts last year, one of them was a 4-2 win over us at the Bell Center last Jan 16th.

134. avatar_58 says:

Umm…pretty sure they sing OLE during Montreal CFL games. They also sung it during the Canadian juniors game. Sometimes people sing it at Bulldogs games.

So it’s not just the habs

135. habfan53 says:

Some thoughts and figures on Saku for tomorrow night.

For his carreer with Montreal Saku is 18th in games played with 792,  26th in goals with 191, 6th in assists with 450, 10th in all-time points 641.

Saku came to play almost every night (nobody is up for every game) but he showed courage in more ways than one. Was too much expected of him? definitely he was an exellent 2nd line centre who never had great wingers for a sustained period.

Will he be booed tomorrow night ?  Probably by a few idiots who will think it is funny (or are Rejean Tremblay fans) HOWEVER they will be drowed out by the 21,000 plus who will appreciate what he gave our team for 15 years .

136. HabFanSince72 says:

Sens have only 1 win in their past 11. They suck.

137. Storm Man says:

Don’t hurt yourself reaching for another drink….

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

138. andrewberkshire says:

They sing it, that’s where the chant came from. Look it up.

139. Sportfan says:

Tonight we have to be careful everytime Ottawa is slumping and then plays us they win. I know we can win go guys kick the sens to the curb haha

140. Sportfan says:

Haha what a carzy computer im 21 so it was really interesting to watch that. The best was Red Fisher saying how he hated quotes and tried so hard not to use them now on the Saturday paper quotes everywhere haha loved the video

141. Cool Ice Price says:

Sens have only 1 win in their past 11. They are due for a win tonight & the Habs had to be the ones they play.

Habs Passion unites us all

142. Mikey_39 says:

Did anyone happen to see the comment on the Koivu article on RueFrontenac? The statement that habs fans are the best fans must be self-proclaimed, because there are way too many garbage excuses for human beings that call themselves habs fans for this to be true.  People like this give true habs fans a bad name.  I really hope Saku doesn’t get booed, and the fact that I’m actually worried that it might happen, tells you a lot about the fans in the stands.

143. jennifer1984 says:

ive been reading your comments for over a year and you have yet to bother me….. except the Jenny comment

144. aemarchand11 says:

Just bought tickets to the Habs v Leafs game on Feb 24! Molson Ex Section!

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

145. Mats Naslund says:

Ottawa is starting Brodeur tonight… does the fact that its Mike and not Martin change things? I guess we’ll find out if its the name or the netminder that has killed us so many times over the years.

146. CBrady12 says:

Anyone wanna actually go play hockey this afternoon?

147. CBrady12 says:

You want him to rest for two weeks from a bruise?

148. DearyLeary says:

Bruised ribs are painful as all hell.  I’d let him rest a game or two if he wanted, but if he wants to play I sure don’t expect him to be playing at 100%.

149. shiram says:

Bruised ribs, yea, that definately warrants rest. It hinders your movement and breathing.
    Its not like ajust a random bruise.

150. fbkj says:

how clear cut IS the origin of the ole chant? considering the version they play at the bell center after a win is from new jersey’s bouncing souls? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YowSB2cJH1c

151. CBrady12 says:

Yeah but for two weeks? common…One of my best friends had a jet ski accident in Jamaica and had contusions on his rib and on his lung. I actually caused him to cough up a small amount of blood right after it happened. It hurt like hell but after less than a week, the guy was able to be back at work in construction.

152. Mikey_39 says:

I guess.  It’s just a worry of mine.  The problem is they never cease to amaze me…booing the national anthem, for example.  Classless people giving us a bad name.

153. shiram says:

You really cant know unless it happened to you, i had a bruised ribs, and its a pain to live with. Cant imagine playing hockey that way.

154. Mikey_39 says:

Maybe it’s just me, but i really don’t think they’Re saying olé olé olé…I swear you can’t hear the ”L” being pronounced.  It sounds like they’re saying Ah-oué

155. ZepFan2 says:

Bruised ribs = extremely hard to breathe. How many shifts will Pacs be able to endure?

156. Hoegarden says:

Brodeur gets the call for tonight’s game.

Michalek is the one to watch out for this evening. Keep our old timers on the D away from him.

157. ZepFan2 says:

The worst were the two knuckleheads that dressed in blackface and wore Subban jerseys. As for anthems. I’m one of those that feel there’s no need for anthems at sporting events. That still didn’t make it right (the booing).

If Lats can get drafted…..

Maybe Laraque can give him lessons.  That’s if the code permits.

159. StevieRay says:

reaching …..

160. Say Ash says:

too bad Cammi’s out, eh?

was looking forward to the biggest fight since SK and Grabs

161. JD_ says:

I PMed you a quick question.

162. habsfansince91 says:

you’ve obviously never experienced bruised ribs before. I had to endure them 5 years ago and I stil remember the pain vividly. I had trouble breathing (everytime i would inhale there would be excruciating pain) for at least a week. I’d be very surprised to see max play more than 10 minutes tonight.

163. shiram says:

There’s a difference on discussing plays and lineup, or trades, and saying a player should play injured or how long a recovery from an injury takes.

So alright… your opinion is that a bruised ribs is a bout a week of recovery i guess? My take from my experience with a bruised rib is that it takes a long time for the pain to subside.

164. CBrady12 says:

Was the insult necessary? So I dont watch hockey eh? First of all, I’ve been on this site for over 3 years. Second of all, I have season tickets to the Canadiens. Third, and most importantly, I’ve played hockey my entire life, and still play twice per week.

Fourth, I can comment as much or as little as I choose. If you have a problem with it, then don’t read it.

165. habsfansince91 says:

what happened exactly with lapierre and cammalleri?

166. shiram says:

I guess i’ll take the suggestion you posted below and not read you posts from now on.

167. Storm Man says:

You forgot PK also.

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

168. Say Ash says:

Doesn’t matter. The important thing is, Gomez is to blame.

169. Bugs says:

Heh! …nanobots…

170. ZepFan2 says:

Actually, they said he had some trouble breathing. I’ve had broken ribs. It hurts to even laugh. I do agree, two weeks for bruised ribs is a bit excessive.

171. andrewberkshire says:

Have to say, I don’t think you understand what you’re talking about. My little brother just had an injury that ended up being a severe bruise to his right thigh, and he was told to stay away from physical activity for 3-4 weeks while it heals. Having that same type of bruising on ribs where you get hit all the time in hockey… not a good idea.

172. Habsrule1 says:

Anyone here going to the game tonight in Ottawa? I’ll be in section 118.

173. Storm Man says:

If you watched college ball when he was playing with the Sooners you could tell this kid was something special. Just wait to see what he does when he join’s my Lakers. It will be showtime Griffin style:).

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

174. jennifer1984 says:

bugs, i’ve missed you and your comments!!!!

175. Bugs says:

Give it awhile…

176. CBrady12 says:

“you really cant know unless its happend to you” well there are HUNDREDS of things that happen to the habs on the ice, off the ice, with the media, etc that NONE OF US on this site have had happen to us, yet that doesn’t stop us from having an opinion…

177. LA Loyalist says:

there are only a few rotating topics, ever, the main excitement was that Price/Halak has been replaced by Gomez/PK Subban

Other topics: Does Gomez suck? (with occasional interjections that Gomez’s unobstructed pass to PK was the equivalent of Cammi knocking the puck up off his knee to his stick and then scoring in the playoffs last year) but I digress.

Does Martin suck?

Will Koivu cry? alternating with “Will the crowd cry?”

You are also just in time for the post of the day (my vote) something from 72 (whom I usually fight with brutally) but anyone who can jam Nietsche and Dutch hookers into a post about ice hockey in Montreal gets my vote, even 72.

178. LA Loyalist says:

You have obviously never hurt your ribs.

The muscles wrap around tightly the torso and with the torquing hockey players do and the breathing it can be extremely painful. Even regular breathing.

179. LA Loyalist says:

CEGEP is not med school. Not even in Quebec.

180. Say Ash says:

so was gomez

181. fbkj says:

i snubbed him

182. LA Loyalist says:

oh crap, that’s JM’s system in a nutshell. “stay away from the front of the net and avoid checks”

He’s going to want everyone to get bruised ribs.

183. andrewberkshire says:

Count me as extremely jealous. I was in Fort McMurray, Alberta working at Canadian Tire after school.

184. andrewberkshire says:

No way, part time (if 35 hours a week is considered part time for a grade 9) manager of the hardware section.

185. fbkj says:

35 hours a week in grade 9? wow

186. shiram says:

Wow… Hmm, well the game changed a whole bunch since the Gainey time, hockey is harder and faster now, and more is expected out of the athetes.

You know also back in the good old days, goalies didnt wear mask, but the game somehow evolved past that, you can’t bring back something from the past and expect it to be the same thing nowadays…
    And the players have to look out for their health, and so does the team.

187. Bugs says:

How’s that? Were they about me?

188. ZepFan2 says:

Funny, cause it’s true.

189. andrewberkshire says:

Agreed, last thing we need is to turn a minor injury into a major one.

190. smiler2729 says:

Probably would have happened in the old days… this new CBA salary cap CRAP makes trades both rare and boring.

191. Max_a_million says:

I was wrong.  I predicted a trade would have been made by this afternoon.  I was under the assumption that Patches had a broken rib and would be out for four weeks.  That turned out to be not true.

I was wrong.

“I need player who hate to lose” D. Irvin

192. mike g says:

I still think PG is trying to acquire a d-man. He knows Hamrlik, Gill and Spacek will be gassed come playoff time. And I don’t think Webber and/or Wiz should be playing 20+ minutes per night of 5 on 5 hockey. One’s too young, the other needs to be the main point on the PP and have his regular shift 5 on 5. I hope, and I think PG’s taking his time trying to find the right guy to come here and eat up some big minutes. The name that I keep dreaming about is that stud in CGY, but I have little confidence we’ll be able to land him. I’m not even sure he’s being shopped. But anyways, I hope a nice d-man is added. The scoring will come afterwards, because it all starts with solid play in your own end.

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

“The Detroit Red Wings signed veteran goaltender Evgeni Nabokov to a one-year, $570,000 contract on Thursday.

The contract includes a no-move clause and Nabokov, who must clear waivers before joining the Red Wings, cannot be put back on waivers after Friday without his permission.

Also, he is ineligible to play in American Hockey League this season due to league rules regarding free agents coming from Europe after Decemeber 15″. (From TSN)

It’s all in the details.  And people wonder why Detroit is always a step ahead of the pack.

I wonder if Chicago might put in a waiver claim.  Turco isn’t cutting it and Nabokov would be good insurance to go along with Crawford.  There would also be an opportunity to sign for next year, just like there will be in Detroit.  I can’t see much difference between playing in the two cities.  They’re both upper echelon teams.

194. HabFanSince72 says:

Nabokov should have stuck to butterfly chasing. He is not the keeper you want for a run at the cup.

195. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Sometimes I don’t even know why I bother. It’s like you guys are TRYING to wreck our penalty kill.

196. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Pyatt? Deals off, OV doesn’t kill penalties.

197. fbkj says:

ovie and a conditional for moen

What are you talking about? OV would be great on the PK. Martin would convert him to a defensive forward faster than you can say Lemaire coaching Lafleur.

199. Say Ash says:

“not playing nearly as badly as their record indicates. They are getting scored on pretty easily and finding it hard to score”

uh, this makes no sense

200. notbigbird says:

Don’t get too cocky. From what I read the Sens are not playing nearly as badly as their record indicates. They are getting scored on pretty easily and finding it hard to score. The Habs are usually a perfect pick-me-up for struggling goalies.

201. Cool Ice Price says:

It doesn’t matter where it is. A Veteran player making that kind of money & producing next to nothing for what he gets paid should just keep quiet IMO. But who am I but a lowly Habs fan that pays top dollar to see my team play hockey

Habs Passion unites us all

202. HabFanSince72 says:

The Martin Leclerc article on Saku gets it precisely right. Nothing to add really.

203. Top Corner says:

Iam really pumped to see what this team will play like tonight !!!

Saturday night will be fun as well , especially with Saku’s return….and this guy >>  http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/01/20/pesky-lapierre-0/

204. habs001 says:
    many times stats may not tell the real story of a team but these are some of our stats and some have to be improved to become a true cup contender

overall points  12th
                         road points tied for  21st
                         home points tied for 2nd
                         plus minus  12th
                         pp  11th
                         pk  2nd
                         goals for 26th
                         goals against 4th

we really have only two stats that are are pretty bad and that is the road record and goals for… if we can maintain the other stats but improve a little bit on the 2 poor stats we can become a real contender
  205. awesomerino says:

Sigh … histrionics?  Really, Hickey?  It’s bad enough he can’t sustain a thought for more than a paragraph, now he’s exacerbating the PK drama with hyperbole?  Booooooooo.

It’s getting to the point where Boone’s is the only readable local Anglo coverage of the Habs.

206. da habs says:

ok this is getting bad i have to say my 2 cents worth first and formost i wish the media  leave subban alone to play hockey and gomez what right does he have to say something abouth subban”s celabrations on scoring the overtime goal first this is comming from a guy who gets paid MILLIONS and plays like crap,second when ovechkin scores its a huge deal when he jumps into the glass listen if all the players toned it down  hockey would be so boring nobody would want to watch it, thats why we are having shootouts, we need kids like this to create fun and leave us guessing what they will do next.

207. Cool Ice Price says:

I don’t think that Gomez has the right to talk about any player on the team. It’s the players making half of his salary playing harder that have the right to say something if they choose. IMO Gomez has been a bust since he got here. He reminds me of Kovalev in that he bursts to the oppostions blue line only to lose the puck more times than not. Some may say that he was great in the playoffs last spring, so were alot of other Habs. No sense in beating a dead horse but the Gomez signing was the biggest mistake that Bob Gainey ever made. Well maybe second, Bob should have handled Price better then he did when Price 1st came to Montreal. A player getting over $7 mil per should produce more than what he has. The Habs could get to good players for $4 mil per.

Habs Passion unites us all

208. da habs says:

yes your right bang on i would trade gomez for a 200th draft pick and take the loss he should be so lucky to play in the NHL never mind montreal and im a big gainey fan and your right he did make a mistake on that one.

209. RGM says:

Last I looked this is Canada. He has every right to say what he wants. The amount of credibility and stock that people put into it is variable.

210. CanadienBoy says:

Hey new subject the oilers will be  trading before the dead line and will get a other first round pick + finishing bottom 3, way to built a new dynasty,are we  ever going to get a top 3 pick ?

211. RGM says:

As I’m sure that you’re  a smart fella, barring a trade that lands us a pick from a team that does unexpectedly auwful, you know that won’t happen. Habs are just too good to be a lottery team.

Andrew Ladd – the one that would have looked great in a Habs’ uniform.

213. clichabs says:

Hockey is a TEAM game. It’s about individual players working TOGETHER in a task called WINNING games. It’s not about who made the best play on a goal.

214. avatar_58 says:

So what? If Plek made that play he’d be cheered. I don’t get why Gomez isn’t allowed to be patted on the back

215. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Yes, I agree. Also, if Gomez doesn’t make that nice play to make sure PK is open, he never takes the shot in the first place. It took two great plays to make that goal happen. Nice job, boys.

216. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Watch the play again. Gomez freezes Pardy with a fake wind-up, giving PK the room to shoot. No question that laser was the better of the two plays, but without Gomez’s fake, PK never gets that off. EDIT: Here’s the link, just so you don’t have to search for it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pBSS6hEHiw

217. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Like I said, Gomez made a nice play. But, let’s be honest, if PK hits the goalie in the chest, no one even remembers Gomez’s play. It would just be another inoffensive shot from the perimeter.

218. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not, but I am kind of getting sick of reading how Gomez made such a great setup for PK (some people mentioned that PK should have gone right to Gomez after the goal to thank him for the nice pass.)

While Gomez did make a nice play to stop at the blue line and wait for PK, his setup isn’t such an amazing play. It’s not like he left PK with an open net or anything. He gave a PK a pass at the sideboards where PK had some room to shoot. The key to the goal was not the pass, but the laser that PK fired over the goalie’s shoulder short side with very little room for the puck. THAT was the nice play.

219. joeybarrie says:

Gomez does a great job of knowing exactly where to go with the puck to give himself the two options that froze the def. PK coming along his right side, and (Gio i think???) is on his left moving to the net. His fake was great, it was unsure whether it was a pass to the right or maybe a shot, which he turned into a pass to PK. Just because it wasn’t fancy and over dramatic doesn’t mean there isnt alot of skill in poisiton playing and knowing how to move defensive players.

THE ONLY THING PK DID WAS PUT IT IN THE NET, everything else was Gomez. Now don’t get me wrong, it takes alot to do that too, and he deserves all the ARCHER accolades he gets, but Gomez was in a good position to receive the puck which he did, he moved it up and created the space for both players. He gave himself two options and one of the worked out…. BEAUTIFUL.

The fact you said IT WAS A NICE PLAY, you really should be giving the players that made the WHOLE PLAY happen some credit, including the defender that blocked the puck and got it right away to Gomez (Gill I think).

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

220. Max_a_million says:

There are only 3 games left in January, I think there might still be a trade, but with such a light schedule PG has time.  I do think if Patches had been out for a month or more, they would have had to have done something.

221. StevieRay says:

differance maker … my mistake

222. DearyLeary says:

I’m always wary of teams that just got thumped.  I think it’s going to be a tough game tonight, especially with a depleted lineup.

edit: and if Saku gets anything less than a standing ovation, it’ll be a travesty.

223. mike g says:

And especially since the Sens have only 1 win in their past 11, who better to beat than a team who’s got a ton of injuries. They may be tired from getting smoked by the Flyers last night and travelling overnight. We shall see..

224. StevieRay says:

They will also be playing for Coulson to keep his job …
    wonder how the habs would play if it was for JM to keep his job ??

225. StevieRay says:

I get your point but at the same time the “real ” big guys did step up .. Pleks 4 in 5 , Cammi 3 in 4 ,Benny 3 in 4.
    Some secondary offensive support from G&G would be nice .
    just saying ..tonite should be fun to see a couple of new faces …

226. J_P says:

I think the most annoying thing is that the team is never firing on all cylinders.  Pleks and Cammy will light it up for a stretch and than go quiet while gomez and gionta step it up with a little sprinkle of 3rd and 4th line scoring in between.  Its almost like the players feel that when one line is having a good night, they can take the night off.

227. coachdoug says:

He is a dirt cheap back-up at that price though…Holland and the Wings are the masters at making “lemonade”

228. Cool Ice Price says:

Yeah, I hit my stubbed my toe last night on the way to the bathroom. Yup I had tears in my eyes I tell ya.

Habs Passion unites us all

229. mike g says:

I think a really loud standing O and Saku chant will. I’d even like to see it, not because I like to see people cry lol, but it would be like him saying thank you to us and showing how much he misses his time here. The “thank you” hand gestures are all nice and stuff, but when you see tears you know it hit home.

230. avatar_58 says:

So do you think a standing O + ole chant will make Saku cry?

231. Say Ash says:

Their goalies, part of the team, are playing badly. Their record plainly indicates that. No misleading going on here.

232. notbigbird says:

Let me spell it out. It’s a lot about goaltending.

233. notbigbird says:

I give. You’re an Einstein.

234. StevieRay says:

your reaching …..

235. Captain aHab says:

I like when he says rather proudly that a 1000 word article only takes a couple of minutes to transmit to the office from the Forum.

236. twocents says:

The Red Fisher segment on Hockey Magazine with Dick Irvin is gold, baby, pure gold.

237. Aaron13 says:

Does Red still play the original Pong on his old Atari mini-computer?

238. mike g says:

Kovalev returns to the lineup tonight for the Sens. Well, physically at least..