On to the nation’s capital

The Senators will be testy – but maybe tired – tonight after having their clocks cleaned in a fight-filled game in Philadelphia.

The Bruins game in hand was a loss.

And Saku’s team hits town after a loss to the Leafs, and Carolina beat the Rangers, which means the Canadiens can move back up to sixth with a win tonight.

Habs reload for trip to Ottawa

Gomez says he’s cool with P.K.’s act

Réjean Tremblay on the Canadiens transcending their injuries

Martin Leclerc on the return of Saku Koivu

Red Fisher shows off his 1970s vintage mini-computer (and he’s still got that hat)

Incendiary quotes from Kings GM Dean Lombardi

1. Cool Ice Price says:

I agreee 24

Habs Passion unites us all

Senators show some fight but still lose 6-2 to Philadelphia.

3. Cool Ice Price says:

Auld OR Price tonight, that is the question?

Habs Passion unites us all

Who’s to blame – Muckler or Murray?

I think you’ve got to come back with Auld.  Logic dictates this is the game he should start and win.  It’s also way too early to start dwelling on the one lousy outing he’s had so far.

6. The Cat says:

I have a feeling it might get ugly tonight. They go from a team they couldnt handle last night to a team they can handle tonight.

Ottawa’s version of the Mike Boone reverse jinx.

The heat continues to build on Cory Clouston.

9. Julie H says:

Little sad that Koivu and the Ducks couldn’t pull of a win against the Laughs. Hopefully we can pull off a win against the Sens. That would be a nice way to welcome the weekend.

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

10. RGM says:

For all those of you that have complained about officiating and called for the Molsons or somebody to do something so foolish as to call out the refs publicly, the comments emanating from Dean Lombardi are a perfect example of what I’m glad that the Canadiens take the high road and don’t get into publicly. Yes, you and I will agree that NHL referees are the worst in all of professional sports, but c’mon this comment is absolutely absurd:

“When the guy in Toronto making the decisions on the goals, in Ottawa and the one tonight, wanted the G.M.’s job in L.A. and was not happy about not getting it, you have to assume you are going to get those type of calls,” To actually accuse the NHL war room people of having a vendetta in that fashion is bush league and sounds so pithy. I lean towards the incompetence side of things as opposed to the tin foil hat conspiracy theories. If the Canadiens organization has a grievance with the refs do it privately so you don’t sound as stupid as Dean Lombardi.

Does Coach Martin need to show more emotion?

12. Caballero says:

Gomez needs to ditch the number 11, it has been unlucky for him for a reason.

13. CP31 says:

This may not be the proper thread but I don’t care! I’m getting ready to drive out for Saturday night’s game vs Anaheim, it was no mistake that my buddy and I chose this game when we bought tickets from the initial sale………….THE RETURN OF SAKU!!

I can honestly say that I have never been so excited for a live hockey game before in my life!

Ironically enough I began following the Habs in 1993 during their Cup run, the same year the Habs drafted Koivu. I never would’ve thought that over the course of the next 13 seasons I would so passionately love the Habs partly due to Roy but mostly due to The Finnish Lion.

Captain K played hard day in and day out, he played with a tenacity that you would expect of someone that was 6’6, 250lb player. He played throughout the turmoil of the Montreal media, through his battle with cancer, through various serious injuries, etc and not once did he ever complain but rather ALWAYS gave back to Montreal and always thought of this place as home. This was our CAPTAIN!

The respect and admiration of the fans that grew fond of him throughout the years, culminated that night Koivu returned from cancer against Ottawa. He loved his team and he loved his city, Montreal.

It’s now time for US fans to show the respect to one of most memorable Captain’s we have ever had. The love affair that I have for the Montreal Canadiens was built by Saku Koivu. And I for one expect to see 21,273 people (myself include, most likely the loudest person!) give Koivu an ovation that will rival the one he received after coming back from cancer, one that will make grown men cry and one that will create new love affair’s for young Hab fans.

WE WELCOME YOU BACK WITH OPEN ARMS SAKU, EVEN IF IT IS FOR ONLY 1 NIGHT!! THANKS FOR THE GREAT MEMORIES!!

“SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU, SAKU”

14. RGM says:

I suppose so. But would you really want the Habs to be on that level? This is a classy organization – I would rather they remain as such instead of having a buffoon behind the bench that makes his team look ridiculous. For the benefit of 2 extra power plays per game, it just isn’t worth it.

15. CP31 says:

Sorry about the formatting, but you get my point!

FROM SAKU TO GIO, SAME STATURE AND JUST AS MUCH HEART!! GREAT DECISION!!

16. Cool Ice Price says:

I see your point, I really do. But how many times are you going to get kicked in the guts before you lose it?

Habs Passion unites us all

17. Off-side says:

> So many things were running through my head.

Like coffee?  :)

18. mike g says:

Yea for sure, but it’s strange that I only had one cup so far and was able to type so much.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

19. RGM says:

I wouldn’t be at all amazed to learn that at some point during this year a phone call or two to Colin Campbell’s office has been made. With some of the calls/non-calls that have gone against the Habs’ fortunes it would take a true saint to remain completely silent about the issue. It’s all a mater of how the team handles it. There’s a professional way to do it, and a bush league way to do it. Let Ruff and Lombardi do their thing, sometimes a little quiet diplomacy can go a long way.

20. Julie H says:

This will be my 17th live game since becoming a fan of the team and being able to afford tickets. This is the first time I am expecting to be overly emotional at a game. I’m usually pretty composed until I get there and start screaming my head off. I adore Koviu and am exteremly excited just to be able to see him again. #11 forever in my heart is and always will be Saku Koivu

21. mike g says:

I think Saku’s return could not have had better timing. He’s coming back over a year after he left. We’ve had time to move on, for things to settle in and appreciate him even more. If he would’ve returned last year, I think some of the bs regarding his tenure here would have still been fresh and it wouldn’t have been the same. Tomorrow will be something special, probably the last time we see him lace up a pair and skate on the Bell Center ice.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

22. matraque says:

Saku’s return… Great man, a lot of respect for what he has accomplished as a person.

Hall of Fame, probably not.

Number retired, probably not.

He’s no Yzerman, Sakic…  Not a great captain.  A good one in a not so good team…  Koivu was over-evaluated by Habs…  It would probably have been a diff story if we had a better team at that time and him as a 2nd line center.

I’ve never been a big fan of the hockey player (i stated that many times).  Tomorrow, it’s the return of a great and and a good hockey player.  Not a great one.

Habs win tomorrow… 3-1 and the only Ducks goal scored by Lapierre (i’m kidding… Koivu).

——

Canadien en 5! Never go Full Retard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svwGRJA28lY&feature=related

23. Displaced says:

Some HIO folks have been railing about the draft for wrongly providing a reverse incentive for teams to underperform.  It finally hit me while watching an Ovechkin replay. Drafting in reverse order is a relic of a non-capped NHL./

The NHL drafts rules (pun intended, but not worth much) like revenue sharing, player movement, salary floors and caps, to help ensure parity.  Accordingly, all teams have reasonably similar chances for success and there is no inherent reason to suck./

How does this affect the Habs? Good question.  We’re not going to waste a season.  So, our chance to get an ultra high pick is slim to none.  When considering how important this is, look at the list of Hart Trophy winners since the NHL started the cap and that player’s draft position: 2010, Sedin (third overall);  2008 and 2009, Ovie (first),  2007 Sid (first), 2006 Thornton (first)./

So, why should non-playoff teams automatically have a shot – let alone a weighted improved chance – to draft the best players each year.  It makes NO SENSE.  The draft should be fully randomized, like a draft in a fantasy league.  The NHL could select the order for selections in the first round and then let those teams chose players in reverse order in alternating rounds.  For example, the team randomly selected to draft first in round one, gets pick #30 in round 2, pick #1 in round 3, pick #30 in round 4, and so on./

Viola – no bias for teams to tank and no reward for screwing up.  There are two minor (IMO) problems with this.  First, it would make trading first round picks very dangerous.  Second, teams that do suck would lose a big marketing opportunity parading out the next Patrick Stepan (bad example, but you get the point)./

But, there are counter arguments to each.  Going from memory (I’m sure someone can proffer a stat on this) most first round picks are traded in the off-season when teams know where they draft.  For cases like throwing in a first rounded for Kovy last season, both teams would have to really think about the value of that pick – it could be #1 or it could be #30.  The counter to the second point, is likely less acceptable to the NHL marketing department.  The most needed team from a marketing standpoint loses an asset.  On the other hand, all teams can market the “chance to pick first”.  Second, and really the point of all this, teams have to focus on winning.  There is no Mario Lemieux payoff to losing more games down the stretch compared to NJ (sorry Kirk, you were really good, just not “Super”)./

Sorry for rambling, it just took me a while to understand what you’ve been talking about./

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

24. fbkj says:

auld started 2 games ago, hes the backup, we arent platooning the goalies

25. The Cat says:

Koivu wasnt the habs longest serving captain btw.

26. The Cat says:

My thoughts pretty much. But its his moment to enjoy and hes earned it and hopefully the fans will not be douchebags.

27. Off-side says:

Who cares what they say in Toronto.  Besides, let’s assume for a minute that a few people did not like that Koivu made no attempt to speak French.  This does not mean that those same people didn’t like anything else about him.  Is this what a Torontonian would do?  If they say this then they must THINK this way themselve

28. Matt_in_TO says:

After reading what Lombardi and Murray said after the game concerning the goal, I would love it if just once someone in the Habs organization would do the same thing.  It would be worth the fine.

– In Price We Trust

29. HabsFanInTampa says:

I have reservations about this marketing strategy. What do you folks think?

Agree, totally.  Right from the start, I always thought that Auld would get about a dozen starts at well timed intervals of the year.  I figure this game qualifies as one of those times.  We’re playing one of the weakest teams in the league on a back-to-back weekend.

31. fbkj says:

love hockey, love comics, hate this

mike g – I think you’ve hit on an important issue that we all face here on HI/O (see his post below). The glory days of the Habs are long gone. In fact, it will soon be 20 years since the team last won a Cup. The harsh truth is that those days will probably never come back. In today’s NHL, a Cup once in a lifetime is all that any team can expect. The only ones that can possibly do better are the franchises with elite superstars. Right now, I only see three of those players in the NHL.

I watched the Richard brothers, Beliveau and Lafleur wins numerous Cups. I also marveled at how Patrick Roy won the Cup for us back in ’93. Reliving this great history is a joy for me, but it’s also my Achilles Heel. I still want the Habs to be like they were, I still feel that anything less than winning the Cup is failure. Making the playoffs to only get bounced in the first or second round is not much better than not making the post-season. I realize this isn’t a realistic viewpoint in today’s age, it’s a struggle that I try and deal with when posting on the site. I sometimes lose the enjoyment of the moment because I’m always looking at the big picture. Always wanting the Habs to be like they once were.

Every generation has their heroes. The Flower was my man. For many, Patrick Roy was the last great Hab. That may be true in terms of Cup glory, but the Hab fans of today must still try and cheer for the players that excite them the most. Even if those players will never be all-stars or win Stanley Cups. They need to live in the moment and not dwell on a long, gone era. If that’s true, then I would suggest that Saku Koivu is a true hero for the Habs. He was a beacon of light during Montreal’s dark ages. He may not have a Cup ring, but he’s still the player we should admire the most as we look back on the last 15 years. He is due his place in history. Today, players such as Price, Pleks and Subban prepare to take his place. They may well become the next great generation of Habs, even if they don’t have multiple Cup rings. These are the jerseys that today’s fans should be wearing, not the ones from the past.

The criteria for greatness has changed in Montreal. We’ve had to adjust our expectations. Failure to do so, leaves us clinging to the past. What joy is there in the here and now, if we are unable to enjoy the love of the game?

It’s time for all of us to turn the page and accept what we are given by today’s team in the new, modern era of the NHL.

33. likehoy says:

psyched for saku!

– Gomez is holding down the “overpaid” button

34. Rudy says:

Exactly right, Saku was my Captain growing up. He deserves to be appreciated tomorrow night. I hope people put a very detailed description here of the welcome Saku gets for those of us who won’t get to experience it.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

35. habfan53 says:

To further your question do the Blues still have to pay 1/2 his salary ??  This is the second time they were burned.

I don’t know why Nabokov or Wellwood had to clear waivers they were out of the league they should be FREE AGENTS.

I suppose it would be the same if somebody tried to bring Metro back

36. jimmy shaker says:

Someone please explain the wellwood thing.  St.Louis wanted him, so they signed him…..so why did he have to clear waivers?  Then the sharks come in and swoop him up……how did that work?  Any team lower in the standings than the blues can go after him? But they have to pay the contract that he signed with the blues?  If this is the case, I would be very interested in stealing Nabokov from the wings for that price and letting auld go.  Or do you think it would just create another goalie controversy?

Shaker

37. Matt_in_TO says:

I’m guessing it’s being aimed at young kids.  Kind of a cool concept but don’t really see how it relates.  At least our guardian is cool and seems to be pretty powerful.  I can’t wait to see the Toronto one and what Lee came up with.  How exactly do you translate a leaf into a super hero?

– In Price We Trust

38. mike g says:

So, Nabokov on waivers at 12. Who’s gonna pick him up? I think a team will snag him before he gets to Detroit, especially since it’s only a one year deal worth a pro-rated 575k. That’s peanuts for Nabby. And you know what, if he gets unclaimed and it’s the Habs’ turn to decide if they take him or not, I say take him. Don’t play him, instead call the teams who are interested in him and trade him. If they really want him, they’ll have to trade for him. It’s playing hardball, but teams this year seem to have no fear in doing it. If you wanna sign a UFA for free, do it in the summer. If you do it now, too bad you might have to pay the price. Unless there’s an unwritten rule out there in the GM world that goes against this, then every team should try do it. But the way players have been claimed this year, I’m not sure it’s that popular of a rule…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

39. HabsFanInTampa says:

Same here.

40. shiram says:

I’m a recent hockey convert, though I’m older than Mike G.

I guess it affects us all differently, and while I would love to see the Habs hoist the Cup, I do rejoice at every little victory they achieve, I guess you have to realize you cannot dominate year after year, and the playing field has leveled some. There are still powehouse teams, but they cant keep their rosters for too many seasons.

You have to enjoy what you can in the game, this season I find it awesome to see Pk progress, he is showing so much improvement and maturity lately. Price too, and then there is this youth movement coming into the team.

41. mike g says:

I would claim him but not play him, because like you pointed out I fear another controversy. Price and the Habs are fully commited to eachother, and Price now feels comfortable and is doing an excellent job as our #1. No need to mess with that chemistry. But, I’d still claim him, but make him sit at home until I trade him and get something in return. It’s business. If I can get a valuable asset like Nabokov for free and use him to acquire a player needed on this roster, I’m winning that deal 100%.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

42. HabsFanInTampa says:

As a child I once had to use a leaf to wipe my behind when I had to go #2 in the woods. Maybe Stan Lee can use that as his motivation for his Toronto Maple Leaf superhero.

43. krob1000 says:

yup…..that about sums it up.  Saku deserves nothing but respect…and I hope that if any of you are there and some idiot boos him….I would be really disappointed if I found out you didn’t pop them in the mouth…twice.

44. mike g says:

Thanks man…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

45. fbkj says:

still remember koivu’s first goal, vs the la kings… same game benoit brunet had an AMAZING short handed goal… watched it at carlos and pepe’s… i was also at the game when he came back from cancer… im going to the game saturday… where ill be wearing my koivu jersey for the last time… edit: ooooohhh i found it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57O2kOY6vm4

46. TomNickle says:

If anybody has the stupidity to boo Koivu at the game they’ll very likely have a face full of knuckles courtesy of some bystanders.

47. Hobie Hansen says:

Since people are conjuring up their old memories of Saku Koivu, I thought I’d share a quick story.

It was the summer after the lockout. I took my girlfriend at the time to Montreal for the weekend and we made plans to meet up with another couple on Crescent Street.  We met at Hurley’s, where my friend’s girlfriend was just finishing up her bartending shift.

The four of us sat there, getting more intoxicated by the minute. The girls decided to head down to the lower level to use the washroom and were taking an extraordinary long time to return.

After about half an hour we made our way downstairs to see what was keeping them. As soon as we rounded the corner there they were, sitting at a table with Saku Koivu and Craig Rivet. My jaw almost hit the floor and next thing I knew Rivet was smiling at me and waving us over to join them.

Not to drag the story on too long here but the six of us, Koivu, Rivet, my friend and the girlfriends, sat at a table and drank for a good two hours. We didn’t pester them about autographs or pictures, we took a few at the end, but we sat there and talked hockey the entire time.

Koivu had his arm around us and he and Rivet we amazed with amount of knowledge my friend and I threw at them about the Canadiens. They were also impressed with my friend’s many injuries that he sustained during his junior hockey career. At one point I was squared off with Rivet and wrestling with him in front of our table. He could have snapped my neck like a breadstick.

People were walking by and thought we were part of the Canadiens too, I loved that LOL.

Koivu and Rivet were out to have fun that night and it’s a night I’ll never forget. I have the picture, blown up in my family room of the four guys sitting around the table with pints of beer and shooters everywhere. They were a couple of great guys!

48. TomNickle says:

I’m on the fence when it comes to the decision on whether or not to retire his number.  The problem with doing it is that every name and number hanging at the Bell Centre is close to transcendent in hockey, his name is not and will never be.

If you retire his number you open up a big can of worms going forward by setting a lower bar on who’s jersey goes up.

49. joeybarrie says:

WELL, when Koivu first came to town, in his first season he was walking across the parking lot to the Brossard Champlain Mall. I was driving with my Girlfriend (at the time). We were arguing in the car and i was looking at her, and when she looked up, she screamed. I looked up and jammed on the brakes as i saw a guy walking across the street and had a deer in headlights look at my car, where he though i was going to run him over. I was pretty close. He just walked away, and my girlfriend said, hey isnt that the new guy we just got from Europe??? I said couldn’t be. Well fast forward 5 or so years and I saw him having a drink at the bar at McKibbon’s. I decided to go over and say hi and offer to buy him a beer since I almost killed him. Fully expecting that it wasn’t really Koivu by the way, he responded with a simple….. GREEN VOLVO as he pointed to me. Well Koivu doesn’t pay at most bars he goes to, so I couldn’t buy him a beer, but he is a pretty nice guy.

Again, same thing, no autographs or anything. I just look at it like any other guy at the bar. I saw him a few times after that at a few other bars and we had a few drinks again, but I can’t tell those stories, cause we would both be in trouble…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

50. CanadienBoy says:

I always said than Koivu lost some of the room and heart went they traded his friend and back up in Rivet

51. Rugger says:

I could live with a half dozen power play goals.

52. TomNickle says:

That trade was a homerun for us.

53. mike g says:

Yea, I’m not too sure about retiring either, but I’m all for honouring his number and having it hang up above. You can still have Habs players wear #11 in the future, but at least the new generation can look up there and remember the most symbolic Habs player of the past era. Maybe even a banner with his picture and his number. At least something for the new generation to relate to. But, it’s a very touchy issue.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

54. avatar_58 says:

According to Bob Mackenzie if he’s claimed, he’s either a starter and on a good team he likes – or he can just not show up and skip the year.

So he’s not an option for teams who want a good backup

55. Matt_in_TO says:

If you read LeBrun’s interview with Saku, he says that’s one of his biggest regrets about his time in Montreal, albeit with a grin on his face.

I love Saku to death and I agree that he should have at least made an attempt.  It’s the one thing other than not being able to bring a Cup home that will tarnish his legacy in Montreal which is a shame considering all the good he did for the city.  He didn’t need to become fluent but at least give it a shot much like our current captain has.   But one has to wonder how much the PR arm of the team are making sure that Gio speaks a little more french just to avoid this whole soap opera again.

– In Price We Trust

56. Icey Matt says:

You are obviously unaware of the stipulations of the Nabokov deal… if he is claimed off of waivers the team who claims him is unable to trade him without Detroit having the option to “steal” him back.

57. fbkj says:

koivu always said merci at the end of an interview and in regards to gionta, well thats a marketting decision and pre-game production for habs games really only amped up post lockout so thats not a fair argument as you pointed out

58. mike g says:

I think the PR department had a really big say in the new players’ “willingness” and “want” to learn the language….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

59. joeybarrie says:

I don’t know if there is an unwritten rule, but I have to tell you that it’s a mistake. If I was a GM and I saw that, I would very much make sure that I NEVER did any kind of business with you unless I had no choice, and even then, you would have to have the short end of the stick.
    As much as GM’s compete with each other, they still have to work together, and doing things the right way and being honest and upfront is the best way to harbor a relationship.
    Trust me, a move like that will come back to you, and our club does not do things that way.
    Plus what happens if they do not trade for him? Then we have Auld who is unhappy cause it looks like we are trying to replace him. We have Nabokov who is unhappy cause we picked him up for no reason and to use him as a commodity. Plus any other Free Agent we try to sign will always wonder what our motives are, and I imagine no one would be interested in signing with a team that would do that to a player. There can be no good coming from a move like that. If you ask me…
    There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

60. TomNickle says:

That entire post is your opinion, and while you’re entitled to it, others are entitled to disagree with it.  If you asked me today if I would retire his number, I would say no.  That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t reconsider, but as of today his jersey shouldn’t be up with the others in my opinion.  And just because Denis Savard is up there doesn’t mean he should be, two wrongs don’t make a right.

61. mike g says:

No doubt it could come back to haunt you and sort of puts a black stain on your GM’s resume. I even said that in my post. But this year we’ve seen 2 teams do it to the Blues. I never thaught teams would do it, let alone twice to the same team in 1 month. So maybe teams are starting to do it now because the ice has been broken and it’s more acceptable? I don’t know, and none of us do because were sitting here on HIO and not in a front office position.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

62. matraque says:

Of course it’s marketing decision!  But a well received one and that is all the management had to do with Saku.

Gary Carter is a perfect example… everyone thought he was speaking french… In reality, he was not.  He knew and was taught how to place the 30 french words he knew.

——

63. fbkj says:

when did you start following the habs, honest question?

64. fbkj says:

you skipped the part about pre-game production

65. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Denis Savard? Let’s not get crazy here. 18 is retired for Serge Savard. I am also on the fence about a Koivu jersey retirement, although I’m leaning more towards doing it. If it doesn’t happen, I wouldn’t call it a travesty, but I think we could stand to lose one more number. Who says we can’t start going into triple digits?

Louis Leblanc – #572 in your program, #1 in your heart.

66. TomNickle says:

Personally, I’m not ready to put his jersey among those others.  Time could change things, but just looking at that list is a reminder of how special of a fraternity that is.

If there isn’t anybody worthy for the next 30 years, so be it.  I’m not willing to give my vote to put somebody in just for the sake of having a new name up there.

67. The Cat says:

Nice story man. I remember when I was 19 and in Montreal walking, I almost got hit twice in the morning, one car even hit my leg, I was alright though. Montreal drivers are the worst drivers.

68. notbigbird says:

The Flower is pretty well it for me too. I was kind of young for the fifties team and even missed Beliveau at his very best. So it’s Lafleur for me for the best with Beliveau actually earning more respect. I wasn’t paying as much attention in the Roy years.

Being in southwestern Ontario at the time, I didn’t have a lot of access to Habs stuff. I was in Leafs/Wings territory. I was also peeved about the loss of the Fyling Frenchman days. Winning grinding cups seemed like a come down although I would now be thrilled with one gained any old which way.

I also became peeved with hockey in general in the clutch and grab days. I think the New NHL (with all of its warts) and the arrival of BG kind of brought me back into the fold. Now, although I don’t post a lot, I’m pretty well glued to this site.

69. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

You have to look at which teams did that to the Blues though. Nashville is a divisional rival, so it is unlikely that they will make any significant trades with each other. The other was San Jose, who are 2 points ahead of St. Louis in the playoff race (St. Louis has 2 games in hand). It could be argued that those two teams made those moves to hinder a direct competitor’s playoff chances. Since we are in the other conference, it wouldn’t be wise to piss off a team we might want to deal with in the future.

70. TomNickle says:

This isn’t about the torch though.  Gionta has it.  Gainey, Roy, Bouchard, Dryden, Savard, Lach, Robinson.

These guys had their numbers retired twenty years after they were done playing hockey for the most part.

Don’t expect Koivu to go up there in the next two decades is all I’m saying.

And there are players more deserving to go up first.  Starting with Lemaire, Shutt, Carbonneau

71. krob1000 says:

Carbo capt 5 years, a cup, 3 selke’s, 12 years with club…widely regarded as the best defensive forard in the game in his time…I would not have a problem with that either…not any time soon since his terrible coaching stint may have temporarily tarnished his image but I think Guy is also deserving.  Koivu capt 10 years, 10th all time scoring, 6th all time assists, 2nd longest serving captain, perhaps greatest off ice Hab next to Beliveau, hero to any human being for hsi ability to defy odds and battle through any obstacle, never had a team or two real wingers to play with, could have left for greener pastures but chose not to.  I have no oudbt in my mind his jersey will get retired …and Carbo too will someday…Carbo is the last guy fromthe winning teams that deserves it but I think he delayed it witht he coaching stint..that’s all. Carbo deserves it too IMO.  Thee best in the game at his role for nearly a decade….

72. TomNickle says:

Read below, I think Lemaire and Shutt will go up before Carbonneau and or Koivu.

73. HabFanSince72 says:

Poor Nietzsche was only ever in love with Lou Salome, and she only liked him for his intellect.

I suppose Blackhawk and Penguins fans have no pride.

Face it. Apart from Burke’s Kessel fiasco there are no other ways to get the most sought after talent. Look at Tampa Bay. Think they’d be where they are without Stamkos?

Like I said earlier. 3 years and that’s it. If the Habs aren’t sniffing at the Cup by then and are still languishing in the middle of the pack, tanking better happen.