On to New Jersey

Luongo
The Canadiens will practice in Brossard Friday morning, then board a 3 p.m. flight.
To where Martin F. Brodeur awaits.
We’ll get an update today on Brian Gionta’s injury.
Or we won’t.

Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

Dave Stubbs in the Canuck’s room

Red Fisher’s take

Pierre Ladouceur’s game report card

Stubbs on Réjean Houle

Sean Gordon’s game story

1. Everlasting1 says:

Three yrs @ 12.74Mil ??? Goatier, where do I begin, um..BWAAHAHAHAHAHA

——————————————————————-
    “For I will go through the land of Egypt on that night, and will smite all the first-born in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the Gods of Egypt I will execute judgments: I am the LORD.” Exodus 12:12

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

2. mrhabby says:

Have been a long time supporter of the organization for 40+ years. Last couple of years have really been draining on the direction this organization has been headed. I just don’t get it….arghhhhh.

3. Marcusman says:

Could be worse.. the way PG roles these days it could of been Kaberle for Price or Pk or F’ing both. It’s obvious now that Markow won’t bee back for some time and this is a weak attempt to replace him.

4. habsnyc says:

So now PG has committed $30 million and four and three years respectively to two aging veterans on the downside of their careers. Lucky that Cole and Kaberle are used to not making the playoffs.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

5. Everlasting1 says:

Talk about passing the (p)buck..

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

6. hansolo says:

Is it worth pointing our that with all the injuries the team has had, that this is basically a sub-cap-floor team, playing 2 rookies and 2 sophomores on defence? Could such a team be expected to do better? No.

You are all right: the vets need to step it up and some haven’t, whatever the reason. To lay it all at the feet of JM might be OK in theory, because as head coach, he is ultimately responsible for how the team performs on the ice. The reality is this is not a very good team, as you have all eloquently pointed out, and the coach isn’t the only problem.

Whether JM stays or goes is immaterial to me personally. I agree with the blogger who maintains A theory of Ice — coaches aren’t irreplaceable. Generally, though, you do want someone who won’t HARM the team (and there are plenty that will) . I am interested in keeping the team competitive and if anyone can offer me cogent reasons why someone else would do better and why his style would work where JM’s doesn’t, I’m certainly willing to listen. I don’t want the Canadiens to act rashly as they did when Serge Savard and Demers were fired — that set the team back more than a decade. I know how emotional I felt then (I wanted Savard and Demers gone) but I could never have foreseen the damage Houle and Tremblay would wreak on the team. In retrospect, I should have been more patient.

The realities are:

a) There aren’t great coaching candidates around. If you’re pining for Guy Boucher, just look at TB’s record. There’s a reason Bob Hartley isn’t coaching in the NHL. St. Patrick? No. Carbo or Tremblay in their second comings? No.
    b) Spacek, Campoli, Ryan White, Markov and, yes, even Gomez, are crucial to the team’s success. I know we haven’t had Markov for a long time and we managed before without him but it’s different now. Then we had other vets on D we could rely on; now, we don’t.
    c) For the Wiz/Hamr supporters: yes, both were great. But we couldn’t have afforded Wiz’s salary, or Hamr’s term. Just look at their stats. Wiz is at the bottom of the league in +/-. Last time I looked, Hamr had one point and was minus on a team that scores well. There’s no guarantee our record would have been better with them.
    d) Some vets are struggling. Whether this is bad luck or a slump they’ll work themselves out of, or something else, I don’t know. If someone can unequivocally prove their bad play is Martin’s fault, then by all means let’s replace him. But be careful what you wish for. I believe Mario Tremblay won several consecutive games after he replaced Demers, too.
    e) We all assume Martin is desperate to keep his job. He doesn’t behave like a coach that’s afraid of being fired. He has a good severance package and will be sought after as a commentator if he is fired. I think he long ago came to terms with the adage the at coaches are hired to be fired.

As difficult as it is, because we all want “something” done, I think the best course of action is hang in there until our injured players return. If the team doesn’t improve then, or if Martin has lost the room, he’ll be gone, believe me. I’ll assume PG has someone competent lined up to replace him. As to whether PG himself might be gone, I doubt it, but that’s for Mr. Molson to decide.

7. HabFanSince72 says:

Kaberle is -12 this year with no goals and 9 passes, and signed to a ridiculous 4.25M contract for three years. This has to be the worst deal since … since Gomez I guess.

Also this must mean Markov isn’t coming back any time soon.

8. Everlasting1 says:

How would a modern day Hab fan feel about ex-Leafs,Bs on the roster? The never-ending recycling? Pointless roster turnovers?

Cammaleri : ” I feel sorry for.. blah blah blah…” Who HASN’T been a Hab??? And who cares? What a joke of an ‘organization’ this franchise has become. This is as low as it gets, folks. No semblance of a ‘team’.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

9. Morenz7 says:

I think I’m gonna be sick

• LA Loyalist says:

What does this say about Campoli’s recovery timeline? Wasn’t he the Markov insurance so we could let Wiz go? We can’t blame PG for Campoli being hurt, but his recovery must be screwed up too or why would we get Kaberle?

This is pure panic by PG, whatever kind of lipstick we put on the pig.

I pray it’s not Molson’s leaving him a post it note saying “Make the playoffs – or else. We don’t care about the future. Beer is the future.”

Beer is the future, guys. The team is just a cost line item.

Stop drinking Molson’s until the madness ends.

10. Maksimir says:

Oh Efffin hell!

His last 2 seasons he sucked in Toronto, then he sucked in Boston, then he sucked in Carolina… and now he gets to suck in Montreal for 3 years and a lot of money.

The worst is after his recent track record is if he sucks here – no one will touch him. Gomez 2.0

11. Bob_Sacamano says:

What a joke! Two more years at 4.25m for a former Leaf and Bruin who´s finished. PG has surely lost his mind. I liked Diaz and Emelin at the point yesterday btw…

12. TheMock780 says:

Oh……..my……..god. 2 MORE SEASONS AT 4.25 MILLION A YEAR FOR TOMAS KABERLE!!!!!! HAVE THEY NOT BEEN WATCHING HIM THE LAST 2 YEARS!…………..(*deep breath*)……….there are no positive angles to look at in this deal. Gainey’s time as GM (i think his time as GM and player should be looked at separately. He did too many great things as a player to solely be remembered for his time as GM) will forever be remembered for Gomez. Gauthier will now forever be remembered for Kaberle

13. SeriousFan09 says:

Alright, I am officially pulling my support for Pierre Gauthier with this Spacek for Kaberle deal.

Trading away a defencemen, who was off our cap at the end of this season, not to return in exchange for Tomas Kaberle, who is in serious decline, has a contract running until 2014 and is going to hurt the team FURTHER on the salary cap in is a pathetic window-dressing move and shows once more, Pro Scouting is the weakest link of the Front Office and the General Manager has become desperate to protect his job.

Let’s hope Molson takes a look at the contract his organization is now responsible for in Kaberle and decides to clean house. Honestly, this is inexcusable.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• LA Loyalist says:

Today at 4 pm they will announce that Markov his having his leg amputated, but he’ll be ready for training camp.

• TomNickle says:

Or Kaberle will come in and help a badly struggling powerplay.

It’s inexcusable if it doesn’t work. Let’s see how the season plays out.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

4.25 M for two more years! That´ll hurt this team. Imagine we might not be able to resign AK because of this stupid deal. Btw: I rather miss the playoffs than see Kaberle in a Habs shirt.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Kaberle is in decline and to me he strikes me as a player had his heart firmly rooted with a team and once he had to go that was the signal of an inevitable decline.

Some guys are Leafs, some guys are Habs, some are Oilers. Look at Ryan Smyth out in Edmonton, could not be happier that he’s back where he believes he belongs. Kaberle’s shown nothing since he left Toronto, nor do I imagine he will.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• mrhabby says:

maybe its a reaction to markov…smoke and mirrors.

• TheMock780 says:

There’s no way Molson didn’t sign off on this deal. This Molson/front office pairing could be as bad as the Houle/Correy/Tremblay grouping. I know that’s harsh, but it’s sure looking that way

14. Gindan69 says:

Kaberle for spacek. They are the same player except kaberle has a point shot. That’s about it. Both suck, old and soft. The salaries are about the same too.

15. sprague cleghorn says:

‘ow could we forget dat?

16. Hali_Hab says:

Someone should prevent him from making trades . Espically ones with 3 years @ 4.5 million for garbage! We don’t need a reconstruction project! And of anything this should give us all a real clear idea of Markov’s REAL status

17. avatar_58 says:

Oh jesus H murphy

18. mrhabby says:

LMAO…is kaberle a replacement for Markov???

this gets better all the time.

19. Psycho29 says:

Thomas Kaberle for Spacek…
    Just announced on 990

20. Armitagej says:

Another idiot move by our fantastic GM, take another teams garbage that nobody wanted and give them a free pass. Spacek for keberle? What a joke. gimmie a break.

21. habsnyc says:

kaberle, disaster.
    Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

22. Thurston says:

Darren Dreger states that Spacek has been traded to Carolina for Kaberle.

• bel33 says:

OMG. This is the final straw…. Is everyone DRUNK in mgmt?

• sprague cleghorn says:

I live in Toronto. I saw lots of Kaberle. For the last two years he has SUCKED! SUCKED! And he has two years left on his deal a 4.25 million dollars!

‘ow could we forget dat?

• LA Loyalist says:

This is PG acknowledging he should have kept Wiz as insurance until Markov was proven healthy, and now it is going to cost us financially to have said insurance.

Kaberle is a great fit with Gomez and Gionta and Gill, all their “best before” dates were 5 years ago.

Spacek is no loss, but of greater concern is this proves they are going to try and cut and paste in an effort to salvage a playoff spot (2 home nights of beer sales guaranteed), rather than doing what they should do: dump the Floating Veterans Club and accumulate draft picks.

Admit the Bob Gainey era is over. His youth picks may well eventually redeem his managerial rep, but in terms of putting the team on the ice… he gets a D-

They’re not going to blow it up. Look forward to 2 more years of suffering, at least….

… and we thought the years sucked so far… there goes our lottery pick.

Ca change, plus ca change.

23. EsseV says:

Tomas Kaberle just got traded to MTL for Jaroslav Spacek according to Dreger on twitter
    wow, didnt see THAT coming

24. Sharks9 says:

Habs just traded Spacek for Kaberle.

25 before 14

25. Everlasting1 says:

What will it take to fire JM?
    Fire the two Randys.. Pearn, Muller weren’t enough.
    Firing.

lol

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

26. TomNickle says:

5 Reasons Why Pierre Gauthier should be kept as GM.

1. Foresight

- He knows what the team needs and has a great handle on the roster. He has added Erik Cole, Lars Eller and Alexei Emelin to the lineup since his arrival. He’s drafted Jarred Tinordi, Nathan Beaulieu, Darren Dietz, Daniel Pribyl and Morgan Ellis to ensure that size isn’t a weakness on this roster in the future.

2. He is building for now and the future.

- When he trades a pick, he more often than not either acquires a pick to fill the gap, or a player that has already been taken at a similar value, like Bournival. He hasn’t hesitated to spend on something the roster desperately needs, like an Erik Cole, and bringing Diaz and Emelin over appear to be great short and long term adds.

3. He has a good team in place.
    - Our CHL scouting has been great since he took over, our European scouting is top notch. The Quebec league scouting is really the only one that hasn’t produced and that appears to be turning around with the Beaulieu and Archambault selections.

4. He doesn’t panic.
    - If he were going to make a stupid move for the sake of saving Martin’s job he would have by now. He doesn’t overpay for assets and his patience has lead to a nice core developing here.

5. He deserves more time.

- Having added Cole, Eller, Emelin and Diaz to the mix, it’s clear he sees what the team needs. He’s overstocked the roster with defensemen, a clear sign that he recognizes that he can’t continue to trade 2nd or 3rd round picks for short term injury replacements.

He’s done a good job so far. He’s given Martin the tools to put together a winning team.

• Habfan10912 says:

Duck! This is gonna get ugly. : )

• Everlasting1 says:

The Ole BG/Goatier tandem switcheroo worked on you..

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I agree 100% with you actually. I also think you put together a rational list of reasons why JM should get the boot.

I think that Gauthier has more of a firm grasp on his job than JM. Martin is not a bad hockey coach, but he is not right for the group of kids we have here already and the group coming up. We have some kids with skill, size and personality/confidence/cockiness (PK, Price, Beaulieu). I do think that JM has instilled some good team qualities since he’s been here, but we need someone a little more inspiring and aggressive for the kids that are coming up.

Adn you 100% right on the fact that we need to focus on creating turnovers rather than waiting for them to happen. Our best stretch was when we played with an aggressive forecheck that caused opposing D to cough up the puck. Eller, AK, Cole, MaxPac, Leblanc, Moen, etc. can do that. A line of Cammy-Gio-Plex cannot.

• habsnyc says:

He should be fired because he was unable to put 20 NHL ready players on the roster to start the season. He should be fired because with a team clogged with aging forwards he gave four years to another 30+ year old. Four years to Cole is the very definition of overpaying for an asset. He should be fired because he lost the best young coaching talent in the organization.

But really, if during the off-season you let go half the defensemen on your roster and start the next season without enough defensemen, you should be fired.

And Kaberle is a panic disaster move.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I agreed with you until I heard about the Kaberle deal.

• LA Loyalist says:

PG has made some good moves – but:

Cole: A
      Eller: to be determined
      Emelin: A
      Diaz: to be determined
      Letting Wiz go: D
      Having to replace him with Kaberle: F

Do all the math, not just some of the math.

27. Thomas Le Fan says:

Dear Gazette. I will never pay to read your articles on line. Nice try.

Around 1993, the Teachers’ Pension Plan bought a majority share in the Leafs for $180 million. It has now been sold for $1.3 billion. Nice.

In 1993, Montreal won it’s last Cup. They have accomplished very little since then. Not so nice.

Carry on my wayward sons.

29. Thomas Le Fan says:

Does anyone else find it absolutely vomit inducing to hear Henrik to Daniel to Henrik to Daniel to Henrik to Daniel ad infrakking infinitum? When Gorges intercepted a pass, why wasn’t it Henrik to Daniel intercepted by Josh back to Hal over …

And as for the poll … I doubt an INJURED Markov will play any games. A recovered Markov is another story.

I’m too old for this stupid world!

30. TomNickle says:

5 Reasons Why Jacques Martin should be let go from his coaching duties.

1. Bench Management

- This team has consistently lead the NHL in bench minor penalties. There have been several bad line changes that have lead to scoring opportunities for the opposition. I said earlier this week, if this team can’t execute a line change, how can it be expected to execute anywhere else?

2. Personnel Decisions

- Erik Cole was added to provide a size balance throughout the lineup. He’s played on a line with Max Pacioretty for the majority of the season leaving Cammalleri, Plekanec and Gionta to struggle with puck possession(which is his foundation for winning). Mathieu Darche has been on the Powerplay, and Yannick Weber on the penalty kill.

3. Blowing Leads

- In the last week, this team has blown leads against the Ducks, Sharks and Canucks. Not once has Martin called a timeout to settle the troops down during their collapses. The team is 7-5-2 when scoring first.

4. The kids are already good at what he preaches.

- Are any of Desharnais, Eller, Subban, Diaz, Emelin or Pacioretty below average defensively? No. So why stifle their creativity and structure offense. The answer is you can’t. You can’t teach creativity offensively and you can’t structure scoring. You can try to manufacture it, but that only gets you so far. If ever there were a time for an aggressive coach who can encourage offense with a hard working defensive mentality, this is it. They don’t need to wait for turnovers, they need to create them.

5. What Jacques Martin relies on isn’t working

- Puck Possession, Powerplay, Penalty Kill and Discipline. These are the Jacques Martin keys to victory, and other than the penalty kill, this team is mediocre at best in these areas. This team does not lack skill, it doesn’t lack size when the roster is pieced together appropriately and it doesn’t have a bunch of meatheads.

I’ve been a supporter of Martin’s for two full years and liked the hire up until this season. But wins and losses aren’t factoring heavily into my opinion, this is a move that should be made to move this team into the future.

31. twilighthours says:

This poll, conducted about a year ago:

Prescient, wouldn’t you say? The players were right.

—————————————————————–

32. Chris F says:

What will it take for Martin to be let go?
    Seriously, do we have to lose 10 in a row?
    What will it take?
    3-0 at home, with the season this team has had so far, and to blow it in yet another shoot out.
    Brutal. I wouldn’t feel as bad if we had people running the ship which I felt were capable.
    I truly believe looking at someone’s past as a pre-cursor to the future, yes, people can improve, change, make changes, etc.
    But I don’t see PG and JM doing anything to turn this around.
    Martin has never won anything, never. Doesn’t that mean anything. Besides the Wiz, PG has done nothing except keep the status quo. I would argue the Halak trade was rushed, and Eller was the least we could have had for him.
    I hate how the team is run by two individuals who have zero personality. And…..if they have one, they certainly don’t show it. Bring in a young coach, someone with energy, someone to get the guys going. Their has to be one star in the A, or the entire CHL ready to make the jump.
    3-0 at home, I went to bed after the second. Felt comfortable, but the shorty at the end of the second was horrible, ………ahhhhhhhh, what’s the point.
    Click to Edit

• habsnyc says:

We could lose 10 in a row in overtime and still make the playoffs.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Psycho29 says:

If they are going to replace Martin, I think Randy Ladouceur should take over in the interim until the end of the season.
      I saw a piece on Ladouceur on RDS and the players they spoke to seemed to think highly of him (for what that’s worth)….
      At the end of the season they could make a decision or keep him, depending on how the rest of the season goes..

33. Psycho29 says:

Home today on a benilyn day. (Ok, benilyn and rum. I sleep better!:-) )
    Listening to Marinaro on 990. I can’t believe that none of the NHL teams have hired a man of his expertise and knowledge.

My proclamation of the day. Fire JM and PG and start building the team around Cole, AK, Emelin, Price and maybe PK (hope he can turn it around). The rest of this team can be blow to pieces.

Oh, and bring back MAB!

35. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Looking at things ridiculously optimistically, the team hasn’t played up to their potential at all, with the exception of a couple of games. Yet they’re only one point out of a playoff spot (others have games in hand, but still….we’re been optimisitic here). So when (optimistic, remember!) they start playing well, they haven’t dug themselves into such a terrible hole that they can’t still make noise.

They’ve played badly, but have managed to keep afloat despite that. Now, turn on the engines and let’s go!

(optimism like this is a self-preservation technique for me, feel free to join in or not)

Jacques F Martin and Pierre F Gauthier are still around? Shame.
    Was really hoping to wake up to headlines saying these two morons have been let go.

Ah well, at least Bell and Rogers are now owning majority of Maple Leafs Ent. More Laffs hockey will be shoved down our throats on a daily basis.

As for the Habs… ah, who cares.

37. habsnyc says:

forget the record, forget the playoffs, if price, pax, pk improve then the team has a future. if this is as good as price gets, it does not matter what the team does.

montreal is an easy two points, but in becoming an easy two point team, they are figuring out how to steal a point for themselves. sure we will let you win, but give us a point for the favor. they are getting enough freebie points that they can make the playoffs.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• J_P says:

CP has a 2.24 and .919…those arent exactly atrocious numbers. I think Montreal fans have been spoiled by ridiculous goaltending too much. We cant always expect our goalie to singlehandedly win every game for us.

“if this is as good as price gets, it does not matter what the team does”…what kind of stupid statement is that? honestly? Without him last year, playoffs are a pipe dream, and taking boston to 7 games is complete fantasy.

• habsnyc says:

it is a correct statement. the offense is not going to improve. the majoirty of top six forwards are well past their prime, taking up salary space and there are no young forwards to replace them. teh offense is not getting better because it is not good and cannot be replaced for three years.

According to Bob Gainey’s endless babbling, Carey Price has the potential to be a top five goalie, probably top three. Right now, Price is not even top 10. So if the team wants to win, it needs its best player to be best in the league.

Price is playing well enough to lead Vancouver, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Boston or other contenders deep in the finals. At the moment, he is not playing well enough to lead a below average team like Montreal into the playoffs.

So I think my statement that if this is as good as Price gets, it does not matter what the team does, makes huge sense.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• habsnyc says:

price is 16th among starters in save percentage. i call that average in a 30 team league.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

38. Hobie Hansen says:

I heard everyone’s favorite hockey analyst “Pierre McGuire” doing his regular morning segment on the Ottawa sports station today…

I have to agree with him that Martin doesn’t deserve to get fired and Gauthier should be the one to go. Gauthier is not supplying him with the right tools to succeed.

The blueprint to success is speed-size-youth. Gauthier has attempted to do some patchwork to address those areas but not nearly good enough!

Keep Martin and can Gauthier!

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold the Smurf tradition high.”

• kempie says:

Sorry, but guys like Emelin and Cole are EXACTLY the players that Martin needs. At training camp and early in the season Martin’s response was basically “I don’t much care for either of them”. They’re playing decent minutes now because, like PK last year, Martin has no choice and they both are leaving no doubt that they are among the best on the team.

Like Serious has been saying this morning, if you’re going to play boring Lemaire trap style hockey, it’s assumed that your system includes a way to hold a 3 goal lead for 20 minutes.

And speaking of tools, McGuire’s an idiot.

• J_P says:

Mcguire has it in for PG though, so i cant really listen to someone with that level of bias.

• SeriousFan09 says:

The two most pleasant impact skaters of late have been additions by Pierre Gauthier in Erik Cole and Alexei Emelin. JM to start the season, would rather have spent more than 3$ on a tie than put either of those two in meaningful situations for more than 12 minutes a night. Gauthier’s been working to improve the team’s weaknesses, Cole a highly effective 5-on-5 power forward and a freight-train checker in Emelin.

Mcguire wants Gauthier fired for no other reason than Gauthier fired him from Ottawa in the mid-90s and to this day Mcguire holds a grudge over it. He’s railed against JM’s strategy plenty of times on MTL’s sports radio, but he wants PG fired because he still fantasizes that opens the door for him to get the GM job in MTL.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• Kooch7800 says:

PG isn’t the problem here. If we had white, Markov, even Campoli on this team right now we would be better off.

I wouldn’t listen to McQuire for anything. There is a reason he doesn’t have an NHL Job.

JM on the other hand has not done well this year with what he has. Our PP has been pathetic to say the least

39. arcosenate says:

This team has basically been missing Markov, White, Spacek and Gomez for most of the season. Markov would be a huge lift and help on the PP, but is he the answer, would increased PP production allow this team to score enough goals to actually win some of these tight games they’ve been playing? Gomez, Spacek and White certainly aren’t going to increase the offense enough. So it’s just Markov alone that we are waiting for to magically make the playoffs? And we’re going to hover around .500 until mid-January when he comes back and saves the season?

I doubt that’s going to happen, but I guess stranger things have…

40. J_P says:

The habs might be only one point out of a playoff spot but we’ve also played two more games than the two other teams we are tied with. Also, how bad is the east if the habs are only one point out considering how poorly they are actually playing?

Being this close to a playoff spot is extremely dangerous. I am certain that PG is drawing up a scheme right now to trade a solid prospect or 2nd rounder for another one of his infamous patch n’ band-aid jobs to try to help us squeak into the playoffs, and get good ol’ uncle Geoff his valuable two home playoff games. Another quick fix is the last thing I want to see right now as I would rather just let the season play out and let the kids learn some valuable lessons. If PG can make a real hockey trade and land us an actual star player, than I am all for it, but its hard to make a good deal when your team is struggling.

41. twilighthours says:

Posted by CHCanadien:

“Points blown this season:

10/15 vs Avalanche – 1
    11/17 vs Islanders – 2
    11/27 vs Penguins – 1
    11/30 vs Ducks – 2
    12/6 vs Bluejackets – 1
    12/8 vs Canucks – 1

Total – 8″

Bad teams find ways to lose games. Montreal is a bad team.

—————————————————————–

• Bullsmith says:

Remember when PG talked about only needing to tweak a solid lineup this year. He added Cole and preened that we were ready to compete for a cup. The guy is not a good enough GM. Period.

• habsnyc says:

did they steal any points this season with last minute goals or comebacks?

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

42. novahab says:

On a lighter side of thing MLSE has been sold did anyone feel the earth move lol.I am betting CBC loses the Leafs and Don Mclean and the big mouth. Now you all know why that new arena is being built in southern Ont. Bettman will move a team there for the CBC so they have one to brag about on Saturday nights.

• J_P says:

Honestly, why do so many businesses/owners/managers come out and say things in the media that they have no intention of sticking to?
      -Dean Lombardi saying he would never pay doughty $7 million per year, only to go ahead and do it anyway…
      -the Teachers pension saying they were no longer selling MLSE, only to sell it a week later…
      -Geoff Molson giving a vote of confidence to PG and JM, only to fire both of them next week (I can dream can’t i?)…
      -David Stern saying he made the players the best offer and that he will lower the amount if they dont accept, only to give them a better offer…

Idle threats are just that, idle. Eventually, people won’t take you seriously anymore. Although maybe in the case of the ontario teachers pension fund, it worked in their favor because they got a kings ransom. $1.32 BILLION?! unreal…

43. habMAINEac says:

It makes me sick to say my Habs suck, but I would like to be a realist. We simply stink. Watching games is painful.

Is it our system or is it our players? In my opinion it’s neither and it’s both. In other words, our system can work and our players can win solid games, BUT SEPARATELY. What I’m trying to say here is the system JM wants, can work but not with these players and the level of talent they bring to the table. From another angle, our players are fine and can excel but not in this sytem. We must either change the system, or the Habs roster will need change.

We have to come to the realization that our beloved Habs and managements are doing the best they can…but overall they are achieving nothing. Under the current system/player combination the closets our Canadiens will come to a stanley cup is in their dreams.

Mediocre teams work at their best; teams seeking excellence strive to do better.

44. novahab says:

Time for everyone to sit down and take a deep breath. As Price would say chill out. Lots of teams are not winning and there are spots to be had to get in the playoffs. I am no big fan of JM so called system but they won’t fire him with all those key D-men out. Starting Sat. some will be coming back and I am betting JM has been told you better start winning.

45. Mutt says:

To quote the great Boney-M
    “the demands to do something about this outrageous
    man became louder and louder”

46. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I want this team to win. I dislike the notion of tanking. However, if the team is in the same position or worse by the end of January, they should seriously think about being sellers at the deadline.

I would not be opposed to trading away Cammalleri, maybe Gionta, Moen, Spacek, Campoli and if some crazy GM were willing, of course, Gomez. If we’re out of it with little hope of making the playoffs or if Markov is clearly not what he used to be, then they should sell and get more prospects/picks for the next two years and clear cap space.

Keep building the young core, which is very good. If you make a run at UFAs now, then make one at a Parise or wait until 2013 when MAYBE a couple out of Crosby, Getzlaf, Perry, Staal, Zajac and Clowe become available.

If we right the ship in the next month and go on a tear, then stay the course and make changes in the offseason. Under NO circumstances should this team trade any youth outside of maybe Yannick Weber.

• CanadienBoy says:

Good move but we need a GM that is pro actief who there ? Holmgren ,Talon ,Burke those are 3 of the best one who else ?

• G-Man says:

UFAs rarely right make a team better. After the blowup of 2009, where 11 players went unsigned, there was no choice but to pick up players. Getting Gionta, Cammy and Gill same day was pretty good. Did these additions make the Habs a contender? Not really, but they actually have a work ethic, unlike Kovalev that was left to sign with Ottawa.
      I am happy if the team works hard and succeeds. This edition of the Habs has been mediocre for many reasons. Early on, Price couldn’t stop anything and the team didn’t score much, if at all. The D corps continued to be ravaged by injuries. After a 1-5-2 start, they rolled 4 lines and earned a 4 game win streak. Since then, it’s been win 1, lose 1 in SO or OT. Then lose a couple more in regulation. Eke out a point here and there.
      Despite all this crap, they are not eliminated. Playoff positions are still close enough to get to by season’s end. Achieving that, however, will not be enough for those out to get the coach and GM.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I agree with everything you said. I also want to make the playoffs. However, I don’t want PG to sacrifice quality assets just to squeak in with this group.

If we are out of it and Markov can’t play until end of January or he is not making a huge difference, then we should think about gearing up for 2013.

Philadelphia and (to a lesser extent) Boston have shown that a bad season combined with some good decision-making can create quite a turnaround for your franchise if you already have some good pieces in place. If we were to get some quality picks or prospects out of this bad season, we could see a quick turnaround by building up our young core and complementing them with a more impactful UFA if we are lucky in 2013.

47. adamkennelly says:

only headline I will be satisfied with is a cleaned house…this is a joke – can’t keep doing the same thing and expecting difference results – every single game that goes by brings us closer to no playoffs and it pisses me off.

48. hockeyfan69 says:

Pg should read all these comments. We are the fans. We want to win. If we see whats wrong why can’t they. There was a time that losing was not acceptable. Get back to our roots. Make this a feared team again. Right now we are a easy 2pts.

49. LA Loyalist says:

The level of delusion among some of the posters here is utterly beyond my comprehension, maybe you guys are like 14 years old and have never seen a decent Habs team and don’t understand the heritage.

Anyway, I’m not going to argue with you, it’s pointless. All I pose the purely mathematical example of the Devils last year, who went on a tear after firing their coach and getting a real coach in Lemaire, and still could not quite make up enough ground to get to the playoffs.

We are done for this year.

Markov, Peter, Luke, Mathew and John the Baptist could come back and it would not be enough.

So play the kids and let them learn under fire, give them the minutes. It will pay off next year when the housekeeping is complete.

We will win nothing until Gomez and Martin and “Le Systeme” are just a bad memory.

Sorry to write the reality check but last night was unfreaking believable.

Which book in the New Testament described the games of shinny which the apostles gained their fame of hockey in. I have not read those, sounds intriguing.

• habsnyc says:

some mgmt teams are stuck in antiquated systems that led to success in other eras. it is why boston (until synden left) nyr, toronto and montreal, with entrenched executives and huge profitiability tend to muddle along without ever taking risk to win.

if you want to root for a logical team that makes mistakes, but keeps trying to win, you have to look towards better organizations like detroit, san jose or the team that wears orange and black that we don’t mention on this site.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

50. Duke_Rauol says:

So a matinee against Marty F at 1300, then el classico, Barca and Real Madrid at 1600, pretty nice lil Saturday!

——————————————————————-
    We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold……

Certainly a frustrating time for the fans, and I suspect an even more frustrating time for the players. I see a team that is completely lacking in confidence with many players almost playing scared to lose. There is little signs of confidence with the “skilled” guys.

Despite the point gained, and the fact the team is still “in the hunt” for a playoff spot, it must be apparant to all involved with the team that the current product is not going to get it done. This doesn’t mean the current group can’t, but it just seems they are like a dog chasing its proverbial tail.

To me, whether it is JM’s fault or not is a mute point, something needs to change. Essentially 4 options:
    1. Start making trades
    2. Change the coach
    3. Change the GM
    4. Wait for injured players to return, and say many prayers to whatever God the person chooses to pray to.

Seems to me the easiest choice would be Door #2. Of course then the question of who to replace. I am starting to wonder if indeed Carboneau may just be the guy. We know he is passionate about the team, he has experience, but did he learn enough from the first go around? Was the problem the first time with him or the fractured dressing room he had. The interesting thing about the current group, is there seems to be a unified group in the room.

Don’t know at this point what is best the option, that is ownerships/mgmts issues, but I for one am hoping option 4 is not chosen. While Andrei Markov would help, he is no shrink and this team I think needs a new Head Shrink.

• Duke_Rauol says:

I always got the feeling Carbo was more passionate about speaking to the media than coaching the team.

——————————————————————-

I have that concern as well, while I know BGL is a self promoter, of interest to me was his comment that Carbo read all the media’s reports on what the team was wasn’t doing. It is this type of thing, that I wonder if he has learned from. I just don’t know who else would be an option right now, perhaps Randy C interim.

• kempie says:

Yes. door # 2 please.

• Kooch7800 says:

There needs to be something done and the easiest would be the coach. How do you blow a 3 goal lead. They just sat back and waited for the clock to run out hoping Van city would not score. Our current Defense is not strong enough that we can sit back on the lead.
      After the coach if that doesn’t work start dumping either Gio, Gomez, Weber etc.

In my opinion this team is playing worse than it was the year before they blew it up.

52. joshua94k says:

Like Tomas Plekenac said last night, “At least we got a valuable point.”

This team continues to battle, playing with AHL defensemen, they don’t give up. It is uncertain how they relate to Jacques Martin, but these players believe in each other. In December they fought for a point every game. The same cannot be said by other so-called elite team like the Bruins who lost 2-0 last night or the 5-1 losing Lightning.

The season is long, remember the ugly start the Bruins had. The Leafs have become a .500 team after a strong start.

I like how Emelin has improved his game. Subban plays more minutes every game than any player on either team on most nights, a true warrior. Josh Gorges is playing like one of the best defensemen in the league. Gill is his reliable self. When Campoli and Spacek comeback this defense unit will be solid. Remember when Spacek returned in late October, the team won the next 4 games in a row because there was a more experienced group in front of Price

Yes, Markov will come back.

Cammalleri is on a point streak, Gionta is a warrior who gets hit with a skate in his face and comes back to score. Cole is a powerhouse, Plekanec is a forward every coach wants. Pacioretty is unstoppable from setbacks. Desharnais defies the odds. Kostitsyn (should be in the shoot-outs) does his great job without complain.

Despite all the setback, they are tied for 8th place. There are no stronger teams in the NHL anymore.

Despite how bad many say the Canadiens are, the fact is, the Bruins, Flyers, Canucks, Sabres, Sharks, Kings have struggled against the Canadiens.

When the defense gets healthy, I don’t want to play the Canadiens. The Bruins, Capitals and Penguins remember their play-off meetings.

Also, Carey Priced is the best goalie in the world today.

Name another team in the playoffs that was forced to play an elimination game without three of their top six defencemen at their disposal. Without James Wisniewski, without Josh Gorges, without Andrei Markov…These are your Canadiens; a team of warriors. – Eric Engels CTV

• Pamps says:

“At least we got a valuable point” Are you serious? The canadiens struggle beating the worst team in the nhl. Heck they struggled taking shots on the worst team in the league. Did you look at the turnover numbers? I mean come on. I don’t know what games your watching but they havent battled all season.

Everyone speaks about Markov like he’s the answer to our prayers. Im very sorry but Markov will never be the same. He hasnt played for almost 2 years. You guys make it seem like hes gonna rip up the league when he gets back.

And as much as i hate the bruins they hadn’t lost a game in how long? and if you watched the same nhl as most of us youd realize Florida has 1 game in hand on the habs with 7 more points then us and has been playing outstanding. The bruins fought hard last night and did all they could against Florida. So please don’t bother telling me the habs are the only team out fighting everynight when there home record is pitiful, when you lose a 3-0 lead at home and when getting a shot on net is suddenly an accomplishment.

Yes the habs have had some unfortunate injuries but you want to talk about a team who battles everynight, look at the penguins who without crosby and malkin were winning games with ease.

To be honest I can’t wait to see everyone come back from injury because i believe nothing will change. I thought the canadiens goal was to win the stanley cup lol, looks like there goal has now become not to finish last.
      “Let them hate, as long as they fear”

• Kooch7800 says:

I like your optimism but I think you may have drank a little too much Christmas cheer!

When your three highest paid players (gomez, gio and Cammy) are struggling your team will pay for it and we are. That isn’t mentioning the highest paid defensmen not playing a game yet.

We were up three nothing last night and blew the lead and the game. Not smart.

The only players who have really played well are Price, Diaz, AK,jorges, Max P, plex, Cole and DD so far. Emelin is now coming around and is playing well now that he is adjusting

Cammy has struggled but seems to be coming around but needs to be a dominant player like he can be.

Molson won’t fire JM or PG cause of the injuries on our back end and Markov not playing yet. That is just enough of an excuse for him to let it ride out.

Our PP has been the biggest thing killing this team. With having Cammy, Gio, Max P, Subban, Cole, Pleks there is no reason our PP should be 26th in the league. That is coaching

53. kerrgte says:

M Molson expects excellence. His people, Mssrs Gauthier and Martin understand this but are dealing with a depleted line-up. So, M Molson cannot really attach responsibility for this patch-work team’s performance given the injuries.

I’m certain that once the line-up is healthy, ie the return of Markov, Campoli, & Gomez, scrutiny on the performance of Mssrs G and M will intensify.

I’m also certain that M Gauthier is on thin ice anyway because of:
    1. the Wiz for Markov decision – the downside risk of this decision will have cost the line-up 1/2 of the season without a talented defenceman and no guarantee of any extended health. Will this decision eliminate participation in the post-season, ie profitability?;
    2. building the line-up to include too many small, aging players;
    3. inviting complacency by allowing the line-up to remain essentially the same as last year; and
    4. Losing badly in the 2011 edition of the Montreal – Toronto rivalry to build a winner.

• hockeyfan69 says:

problem with that is when we finally are healthy it will be too late. Got to make some changes now. I use to be so proud of the canadians and would tell everyone that i was a canadians fan. But now i find myself keeping that to my self. We use to have pride. Teams use to fear us. Now we are a easy 2 pts

54. habsfan reduxit says:

… this team is no contender for ‘the Cup’, so who cares if they make the playoffs. For me the season is over. I’m more interested in the upcoming World Series between the Marlins and the Angels.

“Whenever you have the puck, and don’t know what to do with it, put it in the net.” – Toe Blake

55. Mattyleg says:

Oh maaaannnn…
    Rogers and Bell just bought a 75% stake in the Laffs.
    Sort of blows that whole ‘competition amongst corporations’ myth out of the water, don’t it?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

56. Stuck_in_To. says:

Subban needs a rest. I am a big fan of his but the man has lost all confidence. At one point in the third last night, the winger opted to reverse the puck in our zone and put it back into the corner for Subban. I yelled “No!” at the television but he could not hear me. Henrik then took the puck away from Subban like it was nothing. He is hesitant, fragile, and needs to learn he is not carrying this team.

Cammy’s hands turn to stone in our end. What is up with that? And he seems to think he has all the time in the world. The man has considerable skill and is clearly a cerebral hockey player. Why can’t this be fixed?

Eller has to learn to be careful in the O zone but he is just getting better and better. I am super happy with him. I agree with Boone that he is learning. On the other hand, … was that penalty from our leader Gorges to make it 5 on 3 was a veteran play? How dumb was that. Kudos to Gill who gave the Sedins fits.

Diaz generated some O and has some egregious D plays. Emelin’s mistakes are much more minor and he often is able to recover enough to cover up himself. I also loved his passing on the PP time he got.

Hard to criticize Cole given his general level of play but he often deigns not to hit the D in the O zone when it seems to me that is the play to achieve puck separation.

Habs looked slow against Vancouver and when it came to four on four it was hard to see the Habs as a skill team.

• 24moreCups says:

Good post, I agree with you.

Pk is playing too many minutes and it’s showing, there’s a lot of pressure on him.

I’m loving Emelin! I’m always looking forward to his next shift.

57. Old Bald Bird says:

Honestly, The Gazette’s attempts to get us to subscribe are annoying. Yes, I can get by it, but switching to the new tab and then hitting ESC in time is a wee bit of a pain. I guess if this is as bad as life gets, then it’s a good life, but still … I have my doubts that even one person has subscribed for this reason.

58. kempie says:

I haven’t taken the time to dig up the numbers because I’m very busy (lazy) but I’ll bet that, if we grouped together all the 1st periods this team has played, all the 2nd periods and all the 3rds, this team would be playing around .600 hockey.

• Lafrich says:

If my grandmother had a pe—

• TommyB says:

Careful there, don’t be giving Bettman and Company any ideas…..hmmm, let’s see, 1 point for first period lead, 2 points for a second period lead…..uh huh, uh huh, the owners are liking it, the fans can be duped…yeah, that just might work.

• CanadienBoy says:

We still need a legit first line and guess what a legit grinding line to change game momentum Rangers started to play better with Avery back ,i guess the last one we had was Claude Lemieux

59. SeriousFan09 says:

The Molsons are either a gift or a curse to the Habs. Geoff Molson’s decision-making this year will reveal him to be what kind of owner he will be.

Let’s hope he channels a little more Rocky Wirtz to make up for the tainted legacy his family started to leave on the team, rather than Bill Wirtz.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• neumann103 says:

Bill Wirtz is the appropriate yardstick for terrible (but not necessarily criminal) NHL Ownership.

I do wonder if Molson is just waiting til the end of the season to make changes, to avoid disruption, or give PG and JM one last kick at the can or because there are not really any stellar replacement candidates out there.

I was never enthused about the Martin hiring. I think he is an okay coach, but the wrong one for this team at this time. But I have lacked passion for the Dump JM! movement (or dump PG) because of the question:”Who then?”

But i think there is an argument to be made for a mid-season canning and replacement by an Acting GM and Randy Cunneyworth as Acting Head Coach. Could half a season of that reality get people a bit past of the “has to speak French so we limit our choices to 5% of the talent pool” meme.

On that same theme, while I am sensitive to the notion that the coach ought to be able to communicate with the local fans and media in french, considering that Gauthier never talks to anyone, how much of an issue is the GM speaking French?

“Et le but!”

• Mattyleg says:

I see ownership as a very iffy position.

You don’t want to do too much and get too involved, or you could end up like Charles Wang, and destroy your club.

I’d be interested to know how involved owners get across the league, and what the agreed wisdom on owner interference is. It doesn’t seem to me like Gillette stirred the pot too much… Then again, I don’t pay a lot of attention to owners. Which is why I’m asking, I guess.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• G-Man says:

Smart owners let the hockey people do their jobs. Fans want wholesale change after every loss. Let’s hope a little common sense prevails.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Common sense would be to drop a defensive coach who can’t take advantage of a lead.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• G-Man says:

Common sense would be to not crosscheck someone in the offensive zone with a 1 goal lead and around 5 to play. It’s time to look at the players and their failings, too, instead of the “It’s always the coach” shit that goes on around here.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

@GMan, is the coach not responsible for imparting wisdom on his players, especially if they are young/inexperienced? Seems to me they’ve either stopped listening to the guy behind the bench…..

____________________________________________________
            They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

• SeriousFan09 says:

Players behaviour can be a reflection of the coach. This team takes far too many bad penalties across the board.

The team was up 3-0 and the coach couldn’t put a lid on it. Just read Boone’s About Last Night to count up the number of times this team has been unable to control a lead this season. JM’s system is known to the league, if you fall behind against MTL, just keep pressing, they won’t push back.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

@Gman, your opitmism is incredible and I respect that. But to put the blame of last nights game on Eller and make that the only problem is similar to saying it’s just a little fire, while the rest of the house is in flames. Every game it is a different piece making the mistakes etc… just seems to me the team is completely lacking in confidence right now.

60. Blouin says:

Not a fan of the shootout. The team effort was for 65 minutes. True we blew a healthy lead, but we were still in it.

To me, the shootout is a lot like the Super Committee that just failed in Washington DC: You pick six people (indeed, barely 1%) to dictate the direction and future of the other 550 or so in Congress, and in turn the nation. On the ice, we leave it up to three shooters and Price to win the game in a skills competition, while the bench sits on and can do zero about it.

• Lafrich says:

We were dominated in the OT. Did the Habs even touch the puck?

• Blouin says:

Not only did we touch it, but we had some pressure towards the end.

(that’s what she said)

But, you don’t get to overtime by being dominated by the other team for 60 mins. And you don’t make it to the shootout by being dominated in OT. I think Le System is missing the shootout component.

• Mattyleg says:

Heh heh.
          The Canucks had the momentum going into OT, so I wasn’t surprised to see them have the upper hand in that period.

And as for the shootout, as I’ve said before, I NEVER get excited for the shootout. I just can’t get enthused about such a dumb, pointless All-Star ‘skills’ show. Yaaaaaawwwwwnnnnn….

—Hope Springs Eternal—

61. avatar_58 says:

I dont know how the rest of you feel but I’m about done watching Jacques Martin hockey. Blah blah blah it’s not all the coach, blah blah young defence, blah blah Price in the shootout

ENOUGH. Results or get out. Fire the coach, trade a player (old vet, not youth or picks) and light a fire under their arses. Enough is enough.

62. Neutral says:

one of our best players playing on the 3rd line with two wanna be’s when he could be playing with our best center – what kind of coaching is that – and we wonder why we’re losing. add another one to the loss column tomorrow in NJ – and bring in a coach that can put the best players with the best players – we need to make one move – Gionta for AK – Than we’ll have our best two lines established win or lose and Gionta would be a teaching tool for Eller – the 4th line – I’ve seen junior players better than these guy’s and they’re paid enough to buy a coffee and a donut.

63. Marcusman says:

On the bright side….we’re still only 2 points out of a playoff spot with much more hockey to play.

64. TommyB says:

Another one-period effort (well, even that was more to do with Lou letting in three softies). Another blown lead. Another shootout loss. And, another loss at home. This record has more scratches in it than my 45rpm copy of Love Me Do.

I know many around here think blaming Martin is unfair, or whatever. But listening to him after each game, blaming the young guys, is getting rather comical. Never is there any hint or suggestion that he and his staff could be part of the problem. Well, really, who’s going to point the finger at themselves? But take some acknowledgement of the fact that you are not finding answers, JM. Man up! No answer to the home record, no answer to the PP woes, no answer to the blown leads, no answer to the shootout (actually, I was pleased to hear a reporter question him on the shootout, but he fluffed it off rather arrogantly). The only thing he knows, is putting blame on the kids and how special teams were the difference. You know what, the Montreal Canadiens used to be a “special team”. They are that no more. This season is close to being unreclaimable. Somebody do something to put this team back on track. And although Markov would be a big help, at this stage of the season I doubt he makes much of a difference.

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

I agree blaming the youth on a nightly basis is fruitless for the coach and media. I believe the Laffs have one of the youngest teams around and they’re doing better than the Habs.

I think JM has done reasonably well with the team in past years, but, IMO, the drastic inconsistencies from period to period is attributable to the coaches.

_______________________________
      Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

65. JF says:

It’s beyond ridiculous to blame Jacques Martin for last night’s loss and to think that he would tell the team to sit back when they were up 3-0. The coach and the players all know that the best way to defend a lead is to go on attacking. But two things happen: the players are afraid of making mistakes and therefore try to play it safe (Cole even said this after the game); and the other team exerts a lot of pressure to force turnovers. In just about any game, a team defending a lead in the third period is going to be outshot and out-chanced. There will be penalties and mistakes.

The real problems are not JM’s coaching or “system,” but that we don’t have enough offensive talent and that our overpaid veterans are not performing as expected. We are once again near the bottom of the league in scoring. Cammalleri, who was signed to produce close to 40 goals a season, is on pace for all of 17. Gionta and Paccioretty might get close to 30 each, Kostitsyn and Cole about 20, but that’s it. In other words, the games will be low-scoring, and the Habs will be often forced to defend a lead, which, with our inexperienced defence, is very difficult against a top team like the Canucks. When the powerplay goes -1 on the night, it becomes even tougher. And when our chances of scoring in a shootout are about one in five, there are going to be a lot of points squandered.

We need more offensive talent. The free agents Gainey signed two years ago are just not good enough. They’re streaky and inconsistent. In the long run, the best thing for the team would be to finish near the bottom and draft an elite scoring talent, because we’re not going to get one any other way. But at the moment we don’t look bad enough to be right at the bottom, just nowhere near good enough to make the playoffs.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Do you feel that JM bears any responsibility in the fact the scorers who come here end up being low scoring checkers? Do you feel that he bears any responsibility for the same scenario being played out over and over again?

• Storm Man says:

I will have two of the stuff you take before you post on here. I have no clue how you come up with what you just posted..” We need more offensive talent” With lord martin as coach?

• TommyB says:

I respect your comments. Always well thought out. But for the love of God, don’t you think it’s odd that every offensive player on this team is in a funk at the same time? I guess it could just be coincidence, but I suspect it has more to do with the system they are being asked to play, as well as a coaching staff that has run out of ideas, motivation, whatever. It wouldn’t be the first time a coach was fired because you can’t fire 20 players, but something has to give.

• JF says:

I don’t know why every offensive player on the team is in a funk at the same time, but I really don’t think it’s because of JM or his system. I’m getting tired of the argument that he stifles the offensive talents of our players. From what I see, the Habs create scoring chances when they go hard to the net. They just don’t convert often enough, and I’m reaching the conclusion that they’re simply not quite good enough.

When you look at the team, the only player (leaving aside Gomez) who is on pace for well under the number of goals we would expect from him is Cammalleri. Gionta will probably get about 30, Kostitsyn, Plekanec, and Cole between 20 and 30. We don’t know yet what Patch and Desharnais can do in a full year, Eller has not shown a lot of offensive talent, and there isn’t much on the fourth line or the defence. To be successful, the team as it is built right now needs to win low-scoring games, and special teams have to be excellent. The penalty kill is solid, but the powerplay is more often negative than positive. If we don’t give up a short-handed goal, we lose momentum through the sheer futility of the man-advantage.

• TommyB says:

Again, special teams. And I can’t argue with you about the importance of special teams, but it’s all on the players that the PP is utter crap? The coaching staff has nothing to do with it? One other thing…when Cole admits that they are afraid of making mistakes when playing with a lead, why do you think that is? What are they afraid of? Sometimes you have to read between the lines when a player speaks. Just give that some thought for awhile.

• JF says:

When I say they’re afraid of making mistakes, I mean they don’t have the confidence to think they can win unless they play it safe. And the reason they don’t have that confidence is precisely because they don’t often win.

As for the powerplay, I don’t know exactly what the problem is apart from the fact we’re missing Markov. At times it looks dangerous even when we don’t score, at others (like the game against Anaheim), it looks like utter crap. When the players aren’t moving enough and passing the puck fast enough, it becomes mechanical and static, and it’s very easy for the other team to defend. When they move around and pass quickly, they get the other team moving as well, and shooting lanes open up. I’ve seen them do this, they just don’t do it often enough. So I tend to think the problem is execution more than coaching.

66. G-Man says:

Kinda funny how the coach gets blamed for Eller’s brain dead penalty in the offensive zone last night with about 5 minutes to go.

67. CanadienBoy says:

Funny how Philly can trade two top players one there captain because they where not leading but we still stuck in mediocrity

68. Habfan10912 says:

Some events sure to happens in the next week.
    - will get called for too many men penalty
    - a forward will be injured
    - Markov will have a setback
    - give up a short handed goal
    - lose a game in the shoot out
    - owner will give Coach and GM vote of confidence

69. RiverviewCanadien says:

The Panthers have 36 points right now. They finished 28th overall last season. And Theodore recorded a shutout against the Bruins last night.

Something is not right. Habs were supposed to be better this season, they have in fact, become worse.

Playoffs seem next to impossible at this stage in the season. Sorry, but I am not very optimistic about this team anymore.

• Storm Man says:

Riverview I recall you said AM79 would be playing last week 100 percent… What happened Doc?

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Don’t believe I stated it that way, I said his first game back would be at home, not on the road.

If you are just being a “I told you so”. Right on, you know what finger I am pointing at you.

Keep it real Storm Man, just keep it real.

• Storm Man says:

Oh the finger lol… You did say that AM79 would be back playing read back what you post. As for your finger you know where to put that.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

So I was wrong, I was being hopeful, everything was pointing to him coming back. I guess you know more.

In your vast expanse of knowledge, please enlighten me on this team then.

BTW, I decided to make it 2 tall cans for ya!

70. Storm Man says:

How did the Habs do last night? I’m so glad we have the best coach ever in martin…… Time to flush!

71. tony d says:

oh good, a 1:00 start on Sat afternoon in Jersey. So for those of us who get up early, we can all go back to sleep when the defensive snore-fest begins.

72. bajd says:

Woke up this morning kind of expecting, hoping to hear Molson had cleaned house. The PP is what get’s me. It’s not even NHL caliber and more than anything, can probably be fingered as the biggest reason for missing the playoffs. Another 5 goals for the PP and we probably have 5 more points and not nearly the amounts of complaints. If the PP has only scored 13 times this season and has 5 shorties against it, it must surely be the least efficient PP in the league

73. Marcusman says:

Took the wife and kids to the Nutcracker last night in Halifax, raced home to out the little ones to bed and catch the third period, overtime and the shootout. I’m now wishing the ballet had gone into overtime.

Martin Brodeur is as done as Gomez and Gionta are. A visit by the Habs should make him look like an all-star again.

75. Habfan10912 says:

Robert (seriousfan) said something last night that was dead on right. These two idiots (Martin and PG) could in their effort to save their own positions, trade away our future. That to me is the real danger in postponing the inevitable.

While I know that BG doesn’t get alot of love here (as a result of the Gomez trade/fiasco) he clearly still has a role and is probably within earshot of Geoff Molson and PG.

Have to believe that at this juncture PG would be required to talk to either GM or BG before any significant trade. I have always admired and respected BG, he has made some mistakes but I think he is a man of character that learns from his mistakes. I believe (hope) that he would not allow PG/JM to make even more short term beneficial decisions at the expense of the future.

Now watch the horror you describe occur and find out later BG blessed it. (This last statement was from a little voice on my other shoulder)

• Habfan10912 says:

Rough night. The wife suggested anger management. LOL

• TommyB says:

Fans can say whatever they want about Gainey, they have that right, but Gainey always had the team first and foremost in everything he did as GM. Nobody is perfect, and some moves do come back to bite you in the ass. Gainey deeply cares for this team. He’s been a part of it for most of the last 45 years. Bob Gainey always did what he felt had to be done, whether it meant dismissing a good friend from coaching the team, or trading away a captain. He always put the team first. I sincerely hope that Gainey does still carry some clout upstairs, and that any major player moves would have to be run by him first. I don’t trust a GM who is in “save his own ass” mode. And that is where Gauthier is squarely situated right now, whether Molson publicly admits it or not.

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

That is a scary thought… but then again, what moveable assets do we have? And by moveable assets, I mean players (and their salaries) that could be moved (i.e. other teams see value in them)to improve the Habs immediately but still have cap space? Trading draft picks would not be ideal but do the Habs have the cap space to acquire somebody that would immediately change their fortunes?

_______________________________
      Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

Explain Diaz then? I think it’s not necessarily rookie vs a veteran. I think it is just having his favorites (for whatever reasons) and giving them ice time vs having some players on a very short leash. Bet Eller (not that I ever liked him) will be riding a pine next game for that questionable penalty that led to the tying goal. Had Gomer, Gionta or heck, even Diaz done that…

77. G-Man says:

Yeah, like Diaz last night, right? 25:11

78. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I’m getting so tired of these silly proclamations. “JM hates rookies!” “Gauthier doesn’t understand what this team needs!”

Both are false. While JM and PG have serious faults and may not be what the team needs to get us a Cup, I think it’s false to say JM hates young guys and Gauthier hasn’t addressed our needs.

First of all, JM likes young guys that work hard and listen to directions. That’s why even though Eller took a penalty that tied the game up, he sent him out on the ice with the game tied with 1:30 to go in the 3rd and again in overtime. It’s also why Emelin got almost 25 minutes of ice to Gill’s 17. It’s why PK plays 32 minutes even though he’s making tons of mistakes. It’s why Desharnais gets playing time. Cole is a veteran, and he is underused, if anything. Enough with this bull already. JM doesn’t have it out for the young guys who work and listen. The Sergeis, O’Byrnes and Webers of the world however, he puts in their place.

PG has made steps to address our needs (size on D and the wings). He has drafted many larger players in the last couple of years and he went out and signed Cole. He brought Emelin over. These guys know what they need to get better. Unfortunately, they are saddled with some bad contracts that Gainey gave and those guys are underperforming right now.

79. J_P says:

I dont think JM hates youth, I think he loves certain players too much (Darche with 1 pt in 29 games played, but still gets PP time), and is way too hard on others (eller, AK46). There was NO REASON for Diaz to have a team leading 28 minutes of ice time against the sharks the other night.