Odds stacked against Lightning heading into Game 4 vs. Habs; Reno to sing anthem again

The Canadiens held an optional morning skate in Brossard as they prepared for Game 4 of their Eastern Conference quarterfinal series against the Tampa Bay Lightning Tuesday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Defencemen Andrei Markov and Alexei Emelin, who both took therapy days Monday, took part in Tuesday’s morning skate along with P.K. Subban, Josh Gorges, Mike Weaver, Douglas Murray, Jarred Tinordi, Brendan Gallagher, Daniel Briere, Michael Bournival, Ryan White, George Parros, Travis Moen and goaltender Peter Budaj.

The Canadiens, who won the first three games, will be looking to sweep the best-of-seven series. The Canadiens haven’t swept a playoff series since 1993, when they beat the Buffalo Sabres in the second round en route to winning the Stanley Cup.

Only three times in NHL history has a team come back from a 3-0 deficit to win a best-of-seven playoff series: the Philadelphia Flyers against the Boston Bruins in 2010;  the New York Islanders against the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1975; and the Toronto Maple Leafs against the Detroit Red Wings in 1942.

“We have to control our emotions,” Canadiens coach Michel Therrien told reporters after Tuesday’s morning skate. “We’ve done that all series long and I expect we’ll do the same thing tonight.”

Said Gorges: “We need come out with the same preparation, the same mindset that we’ve come out with in previous games. It might be redundant, but it’s a new day, a new challenge. We’re facing a desperate team, a team that’s on their last legs and we know that. They’re going to come out with everything that they have, so we’ll need to match that. We’ll need to have that killer instinct, that mentality to win every battle, the battles in front of the net and the battles at the blue line. We’ve got to have that strong mindset tonight.”

The Lightning held its morning skate at the Bell Centre and injured goalie Ben Bishop spent 15 minutes on the ice, but coach Jon Cooper told reporters afterwards there was “no chance” he would start Game 4. Anders Lindback was the first healthy goalie to leave the ice at the morning skate, indicating he will get the start.

Ginette Reno confirmed on Twitter Tuesday afternoon that she will sing the national anthem for the second straight game at the Bell Centre before Game 4.

If the Lightning wins Game 4, Game 5 would be Thursday night in Tampa.

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

Here’s video report from Monday’s practice:

Game 4 Preview, NHL.com

Game Notes

Game Day Report, Canadiens.com

Morning skate interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Five keys to Game 4, Canadiens.com

Canadiens ‘riding that wave,’ Eller says, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Vanek soaks up Montreal’s playoff vibe, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Habs’ patience with Eller, Bourque paying off, NHL.com

Is Rene Bourque the new Dustin Penner? Wake me in the spring? The Hockey News

Stamkos, Lightning recharge for Game 4, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Lightning plan to empty tank to avoid sweep, NHL.com

Cooper encouraged by Bishop taking shots at morning skate, NHL.com

Lightning aims to fight back from 3-0 deficit, Tampa Bay Times

Playoff series has been a blur for Lightning coach Cooper, Tampa Bay Times

Cooper calls for more NHL replay use, Tampa Bay Times

1. thebonscott says:

Reno Reno Reno Reno Reno Reno Reno Reno Reno Reno Reno Reno Reno Reno Reno Reno Reno Reno Reno Reno Reno Reno Reno Reno

Everybody now!!!

2. Mattyleg says:

I’m not going to lie.
    Feeling excited about tonight, but think it’ll be the toughest game yet for our boys.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

3. laRacaille says:

There’s a misconception that teams exist to win, when they actually exist to entertain and make money from an identified market. That should preclude one from asking questions about whether the coach needs to be bilingual in order to win..

• Hobie says:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• The Jackal says:

That’s not so. If a team never won and was mired in mediocrity, then fans would not follow the team and the team would thus lose money!
      The objective of a sports team is to win games and championships. It is a form of entertainment but it is not pure entertainment in the sense of a show – sports teams have zero sum goal in relation to other teams in the form of winning.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…last I looked, We have a Francophone Coach that is bilingual, and one game away from sweeping the opening series in this season’s play-offs

…I don’t understand the purpose or necessity of the discussion

4. Mavid says:

Ya carefull Versage, you don’t want to give any credit to the Habs..its all because Bishop is not in the nets…boohooo bummed because you gave him up for the bald one…boo hooo hooo…

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

5. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Ginette Reno was a blast from the past for Me …I knew her through My girlfriend at the time

…I was a squarehead with the sharpest most pointy corners on My forehead, but somehow wound-up with a sweet sweet french-Canadian girlfriend who herself was at the top of the charts with several pop hits in the francophone world internationally

…besides Ginette I met Charlebois, Félix Leclerc, Pierre Lalonde, Renee Martel …and even France’s Jacques Brel

…it was a pretty nationalistic world of discovery exploding from the Quiet Revolution at the time, yet this then almost completely unilingual ‘Anglo’ of that time somehow got by (maybe with ‘a little’ behind the scenes ‘persuading’ to her friends from My girlfriend :) )

…all I can say, from this Anglos perspective is how much I envied the passion and soul of those great chansonniers, pop singers and entertainers in the parallel world We Anglos lived within in Quebec, compared to the generic pablum of the North American (English speaking)

…I don’t think most in the English speaking world know how much dynamism, passion and talent came out of Quebec, so I’m glad seeing Ginette Reno’s appearance singing the anthem these past 2 games has created a discussion and hopefully an awareness of how much Quebec’s french-speaking culture is inherent in the Montreal Canadiens Fan-base

…for it is a sporting institution’s Fan-base that defines the institution …and, I think, it is incumbent, whichever Your ethnicity, language background, to try to understand that, especially if You are a Montreal Canadiens’ Fan

6. bwoar says:

Also can we please get a game day thread up in this mother?

7. bwoar says:

Glad to see Ginette Reno sing again tonight! She did a fantastic job and I love hearing someone just nail the anthem before a game. Great stuff.

8. JohnBellyful says:

I see below a return once again to the debate over bilingualism as a requisite being a hindrance to finding the best coach available for the Canadiens.
    There should be no argument. I think being able to communicate in a second language, whether you’re a coach, player, executive or reporter, can at all times be really handy.

9. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Lightning strikes 0%!

10. Luke says:

I wonder if tomorrow’s ALN headline will be:

“Matty’s Curse continues: Blame soley on Leggo as Habs drop Game Four to Lightning 8-1″

or could we see:

“Not even Matty could ruin this one! Habs win 1-0 in 7th OT, despite being outshot 106 to 4″

Only time will tell…

• JohnBellyful says:

If they lose:

Fan found dead after game; police interview 21,000 suspects

And if they win:

Missing fan found trussed up outside Bell Centre

11. BriPro says:

I’m just checking… not attacks here.

Matty is NOT going to tonight’s game…. right?

12. frontenac1 says:

Man,Jeanette Reno. She was a porker back in the “70”s but now? Jeesh. Hey anybody remember Montreal gal,Nanette Workman? Damn she was hot and had a set of pipes.

• Cal says:

Sang back up on the Stones’ “Gimme Shelter”. She rocked that session right out.

• frontenac1 says:

Damn right! Amazing voice.Saludos!

• sprague cleghorn says:

Actually Merry Clayton is the female vocalist on “Gimme Shelter”, but Nanette did plenty of work on the Stones’ Let It Bleed album, as well as on the single of “Honky Tonk Women”.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

• boing007 says:

@ sprague cleghorn
          You beat me to it:
          Jagger said, in an interview on NPR in 2012, that:

“It was a very moody piece about the world closing in on you a bit…When it was recorded, early ’69 or something, it was a time of war and tension, so that’s reflected in this tune. It’s still wheeled out when big storms happen, as they did the other week [during Hurricane Sandy]. It’s been used a lot to evoke natural disaster.”[3]

After the first verse, a higher-pitched second vocal part enters, sung by guest vocalist Merry Clayton. Of her inclusion, Jagger said in the 2003 book According to the Rolling Stones: “The use of the female voice was the producer’s idea. It would be one of those moments along the lines of ‘I hear a girl on this track – get one on the phone.'” Clayton gives her solo performance after a solo performed by Richards, repeatedly singing “Rape, murder. It’s just a shot away. It’s just a shot away,” and finally screaming the final stanza. She and Jagger finish the song with the line, “Love, sister, it’s just a kiss away.” To date it remains one of the most prominent contributions to a Rolling Stones track by a female vocalist.[4]

At about 2:59 into the song, Clayton’s voice cracks twice from the strain of her singing; once during the second refrain, on the word “shot” from the last line, and then again during the first line of the third and final refrain, on the word “murder”, after which Jagger can be heard saying “Woo!” in response to Clayton’s emotional delivery. She suffered a miscarriage upon returning home, attributed by some sources to the strain involved in reaching the highest notes.[5] Merry Clayton’s name was erroneously written on the original release, appearing as ‘Mary’.
          Richard R

• BriPro says:

Sorry Front!
      Yes, Nanette certainly had a set of lungs, but “hot’? Nah..
      Cheers amigo!

• Man Front, you’re showing your age and while I’m pretty close to your numbers, I try to keep-up (pun intended) on current trends and one little hottie Quebec singer is Alizee Jacotey. Here’s a PG link here;

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• Mavid says:

Porker…really?

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

13. montreal ace says:

I was thrilled when I turned on the tv, and seen Ginette Reno about to sing the National Anthem, during the last game. I love her voice and the emotion she sings with, an international treasure, Bravo Ginette

14. Mondou6 says:

Just to think of something to fret about…

How soon could Bishop come back? I’m thinking of a nightmare scenario where Tampa wins game 4, then suddenly Bishop is ready for Game 5.

As much as we’ve outplayed Tampa, their goaltending has been horrendous (decent in Game 3 though). And if memory serves correctly, we’ve had problems scoring on Bishop in the past.

If Tampa survives long enough to get Bishop back, it would definitely be a huge morale boost for them.

• bwoar says:

Bishop or no, we’d have them.

• shiram says:

Their D would still be not so great.
      And I doubt he returns for this serie.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Lindback kept it close in Game 3.

• Butterface says:

Really ? Your biggest fear is Tampa getting Bishop back ?

My biggest fear is Montreal getting (the old) Bourque back.

***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
      ***********************

• Luke says:

i woudn’t say horrendous.

I’d certainly say that Lindback hasn’t been exceptional, but he made some great saves during the 1st last game to keep it close.

Their problems aren’t goaltending.
      It’s a lack of scoring depth. They have an all-worlder in Stamkos and really nothing much after that.
      It’s a slow and immobile Defense built around a 6’6″, 230lb-er who gets repeatedly schooled by DD physically (much to Timo’s chagrin).

So, while Lindback hasn’t been great, he’s not the first guy I’m putting the goat horns on.

Callahan’s looking for 6+million/season? yikes. You better have a couple of other guys who can put up points to compensate for his game. He may bang in some pucks and throw some checks, but he does not create offense.
      (INTANGIBLES!!)

• Loop_Garoo says:

If we get the Bishop from the 2nd half of the year, we’re still up 3-0, hard to believe after such a long layoff he’ll come back 100% sharp.

15. bwoar says:

The discussion on here about culture today reminds me why I never, ever want to see a Nordiques team again.

• Cardiac says:

Explain.

– Jerry Maguire

• Cal says:

I want them back. It’s the BEST rivalry, and that includes Boston.
      Those days were just insane. Loved it.

• bwoar says:

I know. The hockey part was great. But the verring off into political discussion. Over a freakin’ one-off anthem appearance.

There’s a brigade that sits around waiting for a reason to tear their shirts off over culture, language, and identity. And it gets mixed in with perfectly good hockey discussion. The only time it sleeps is when we can cuss out the team for losing. That says it all about that crew of people. I don’t want them to breed and I feel that a team in Quebec is the surest way to make that happen. I do miss the old days though.

• Cal says:

Good points, but it is our lot to be surrounded by those we admire not. I’m sure people everywhere feel the same way.
          There’s always something that nags at the comfort of being. Good thing there’s another Habs playoff game tonight to get my mind off things! ;)

• DipsyDoodler says:

The only time I remember Quebec culture making an appearance here is when people were complaining about Therrien, Desharnais and Bouillon being incompetents who owed their jobs to ethnicity.

They’re quiet now, those people, but they’ll be back as soon as we’re eliminated.

• laRacaille says:

Couldn’t have said it better. Seems many of the people who complain about the cultural issues do so while blinded and deafened by an inability to recognize their own bias.

• bwoar says:

It comes up when the team has long stretches of success and there’s nothing else to argue over.

Anyone who spends 5 minutes in a city like Montreal, as anglicized as it is, should be able to discern a distinct and separate culture. It’s something I liked very much during my time there and respect. Sometimes it grates with respect to hockey, but I’d rather Quebec stay largely how it is then become a generic North American jurisdiction like Ontario or Manitoba.

I just wish it didn’t become a topic to fight over while we wait some thing better to argue about!

• Ouch! Some sore nerves out there… Works on both sides so let’s all just agree that we love Montreal in the summertime, grab a brew and enjoy our lovely ladies! ( I know, that’s somewhat sexist, but hey, I’m a guy and our ladies are some of the most beautiful and well put together in the world and I’ve traveled quite a bit!)

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

16. DipsyDoodler says:

And still on the topic, has anyone heard the song ex-enforcer Andre Roy recorded about the Habs? They played it on l’antichambre.

It’s un-be-f***ing-believably bad.

17. joeybarrie says:

“Easter BBQ on Sunday with my soccer team mates. Lamb was great. Cigars and scotch. Very relaxing. Life doesn’t get much better than that.”

Then again my friends and I didn’t get paid 70 million dollars collectively to choke to miss the playoffs for the 9th time in 10 years…. So I figure its ok that i reward myself for working hard and let people know about it….
    Of course, if I was Myron Ullman, I probably wouldn’t post on the companies intranet how wonderful my vacation to Tahiti was after I announced I was closing 33 stores and cutting 2000 jobs……..

What is wrong with Kessel???? Did he think he was going to get a bunch of “LIKES”???? after his relaxing fishing trip, and watching the Habs go 3-0 up on Tampa?????

MAKES ME SMILE.

• D Mex says:

I don’t think there is a single thing wrong with Kessel – he is just taking the winter mindset into the off-season. Ahh Laff-land, gotta love it …

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

18. Ozmodiar says:

Woohoo!! Quitin’ time.

Just gotta pick up a work-working project and a couple steaks on the way home, and I’ll be all set for game time!

19. 24AW says:

Other than Columbus, the Habs couldn’t have had an easier opponent, but it will get tougher down the stretch. should they sweep tonight don’t expect another one. Glad they are doing well sings of improvement for down the road.

Don’t know how far the Habs will go, I’m picking Boston to win the Cup, best all around team in the league.

• boing007 says:

The Sharks will tear the Bruins to pieces unless the Wings or some other team does it first. Chomp! Chomp!

Richard R

• FlyAngler says:

The Bruins problem IMO is that it will be difficult for them to play better than they did during the regular season and it might even be a challenge for them to play as well. Some teams are able to take it up a few notches when the playoffs start as the Habs seem to be doing.

By way of contrast, the Bruins looked asleep in game one and took advantage of very shoddy goaltending by Jimmy Howard in game 2. I think that they are very good but beatable and with the addition of Tomas “Bruin killer” Vanek and the new and improved Rene Bourque, I would put the Habs even with the Bruins were they to meet in round 2. It will be interesting if they both advance.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• JF says:

I don’t think Columbus would necessarily be easy. They play a hard-hitting, physical game.

20. DipsyDoodler says:

While we’re on the topic of singers who stoke nationalistic passions, and to take our minds off the game tonight, has anyone noticed how every Welsh person just loves Tom Jones? Even people whose musical tastes don’t tend towards his style of oleaginous warbling?

21. laRacaille says:

“They should have a Greek or an Italian or a Muslim sing the anthem”…

It’s my fav when someone gets on their high-horse of morality and exposes themselves as actually being the ignorant one. If you can’t figure out what’s wrong with that, then there’s no hope for ya.

Next, Mr. Paz, as much as it might pain you, since you clearly have some problem with Québecois, Montréal is NOT known and loved because it is multicultural. Every big city is multicultural. Unfortunately, alot of people think the only cities in the world that are diverse are Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

Quebec is special because of the French fact. You might not like this, and that sucks for you. Doesn’t make it any less true. And I am not French nor Quebecois, so don’t even go down that road.

22. Fansincebirth says:

Done work in 5 minutes, some errands to do then head home. I have a client coming to the house to pick up a woodworking project I did for him but I told him to make it there before 7!

Have a great game folks….GO HABS GO!!!!!

23. GoldenSeal says:

Judging by some of the commentary about Ginette Reno, I would say that we have a lot of Têtes Carrées on this blog.

24. GoldenSeal says:

Any of you degenerates thinking about indulging in some “Purple Kush” tonight better think again as our friends at Health Canada have recalled it. Something about the buzz not being intense enough, I think…

The odds are stacked against Lightning heading into Game 4. Seeing only three teams have ever come back from 3-0 in the NHL history, that thread title seems to be a bit of an understatement. Especially with Tampa having to rely on Lindback to pull off the miracle.

Tampa’s playoff hopes basically ended when Bishop got hurt. Lindback won a few regular season games but wasn’t up to the task when Price had on off game in the series opener. With Bishop in net, Tampa would have stood an excellent chance of taking Game 1 which could have totally changed the ebb and flow of the matches.

Bishop’s injury plus the awakening of some Hab bobbleheads took most of the drama out of the series. That’s why I hope Stamkos isn’t taking a chance with his health and long term career by playing tonight. It’s really not worth the risk if he’s not 100% ready to go.

24.2 Cups

26. DipsyDoodler says:

Paz – must you exaggerate everything? “Culture is the buzzword in Quebec for French speaking, white, Catholic, “pure laine”.

No it isn’t. It just isn’t.

Jesus!

• The Jackal says:

Not to pile on Paz but that comment was as unwarranted as it is false.
      I realize there are a few salient cultural issues in Quebec that can be polarizing and controversial, but Quebecers in general are not a prejudicial people and Quebec society is not bigoted. There is the unfortunate reality that some groups within Quebec do hold those opinions and views but they do not reflect the majority view, they are a loud political minority that makes everyone else look bad – there are groups like that in every society, not just in Quebec and we don’t say that the Tea Party, for example, is what all Americans are like.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Paz says:

Have you ever even lived in Quebec?

Seriously.

• The Jackal says:

I have Paz, and as an immigrant too. Saying Quebec is intolerant is a huge blanket statement that doesn’t apply. As with other societies, there is the unfortunate reality that some groups are intolerant, but it’s not unique to Quebec nor is it a widespread attitude.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• habcertain says:

as far as the PQ look at it, it is not far off.

27. Loonie says:

Some talk about whether it’s better to be fresh for the second round versus whether or not it makes a team rusty.

1. The series isn’t over yet
    2. The more games a team plays the bigger the risk for injury.

I’ll take the sure thing and would prefer the series end tonight so that the second round is a guarantee and there’s far lesser risk of injury going into the second round.

28. Butterface says:

Well….. Vanek would be nice. Moulson has done nothing in this playoff. Stastny looks great.

If we don’t get Vanek, go for Stastny. If we don’t get Stastny, then we start the year the same as last year.

PK playing in pre-January form. Lets hope he keeps it up. I really liked him firing back at JJ. That seemed to have sparked him.

So do you think we can get Bourque to play like this for two more years ?

Maybe we can ship him to Dallas for someone while his trade bait value is at an all time high. I think they could make some sort of sitcom like CH24: Bourque and Lindy. “Nano, nano”

Big game for the Boston Wing series and the NY PHI series.

Will the LA Kings have any push back or are they the new recipient of Gaborikitis.

Quick is .824 SV% and 7.20 GA…… he might need to change his name….false advertising.

First the Sharks pretend they suck and perform poorly for several years…. then you stop taking them in your pool because they under perform. Only to turn around and screw you when you bet against them. I hate pool sharks.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

• D Mex says:

Really, the only thing the team – and we – can do is focus on the job at hand.
      This said, I have wondered if the playoff performances of the Habs and Wild, respectively, will be a factor when the time is at hand for Vanek to contemplate where he really wants to play.
      Time will tell …

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• Caesar is along for the ride for 25 says:

A full year of Vanek would be pretty nice. I was thinking we would improve our seeding but that is not guaranteed as a full year of Stamkos would help the bolts also.

I would love to see a Vanek or Vanek caliber player on our top line witjh Max for a full year.

• DipsyDoodler says:

The Bolts will be a lottery team again next year. You read it here first.

They got nuthin’.

They’re the Sens of 2014, propelled to the top by unsustainable goalkeeping.

• Ozmodiar says:

J Drouin says ‘hi’. ;)

• boing007 says:

Drouin’s not a shoe in to become a superstar. Remember Alexander Daigle?

Richard R

• Loop_Garoo says:

May not be ready. He was not anywhere near ready at the beginning of this season.

• Butterface says:

I kind of feel Bishop is for real. I felt it and was not surprised the bolts put up Conacher…. I did not realize that Conacher was garbage……

That being said Bishop doesn’t have a defence corp. They may well fall based on that.

But seriously what is up with the Kings ?

***********************
          If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
          ***********************

• Cal says:

Pro athletes should leave the Twits alone.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I’d be angry because he says night finishing is the best thing. It’s in fact the worst thing. Worse even than fishing during the daytime.

• D Mex says:

Worst, huh ?
        How would you compare night fishing with being a Laff ?

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

• DipsyDoodler says:

Let’s see. Being a leaf: adulation, money, more vacation time than any other team.

Night fishing: bugs, cold, damp, boredom.

• D Mex says:

OK, you got me with the reference to vacation time.
            Similar to the time off teachers enjoy each summer, it’s not likely to change much, either …
            Boom ! lol :-D

ALWAYS Habs –
            D Mex

• habsfan0 says:

At least Kessel doesn’t have to worry about back checking any fish.

• Loop_Garoo says:

This is kind of ridiculous. He’s a young man with boatloads of money, he should be enjoying his time off. He did his job and did it well for the most part, and he was not the problem the leafs had. Do we really expect him to spend his entire summer pouting and sad? It’s like the rest of us do all the time, put the past behind us and move on, at least if we have any hope of being healthy we do.

29. Mattyleg says:

Aaaaaahhhh!!!!

Getting pretty stoked for tonight’s game!
    I’m at a 100% win-rate for watching games during the Vanek Era: I witnessed the stomping of the Colorado Avalanche.

Pity about the rain…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

30. FB says:

I was at the game on Sunday and have to say what an amazing place Montreal is. The Bell Centre was rocking.

Highlights of my night

1… The win
    2… The opening ceremony goosebumps
    3… Free Gallagher goal beer (Section 310 Row D)
    4… MORE BOURQUE
    5… The atmosphere…

What an amazing trip to Montreal….

31. SmartDog says:

I found a source for the HNIC intros.
    Here’s the awesome one from last game:

That scoring sequence just after Stamkos falls is brilliant.
    If someone knows of another great Habs intro in this bunch let me know. I clicked on another and saw a Leaf and gave up.
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

32. JUST ME says:

Oh man ! I apologize for having lit the fire of the french coach thing. I was just awestruck by the fact that some people knew nothing about Ginette Reno who has been a very popular figure in the province for the last 50 years and tryed to make a link with the reason why some do not understand the need to have a french coach..I shouldn`t have but it appears that madame Reno will sign again tonight . She had to get the o.k. from her doc but is good to go!

Still i do not know why Rene Bourque is the one that invited here back . Anyone knows ?

Go Habs Go !

• krob1000 says:

I am sure there are plenty of very popular hispanic bands in various states like California, Florida and Texas that I have never heard of. I went to immersion school, was one credit from bilingual certificate, watch all Habs games on RDS, my son went to an immersion school as did my wife….I have never until Sunday heard of Ginette Reno. I live 20 minutes from the American border…when I was a kid I collected hockey cards and every time my team went of town I would go to the local card store. One time we had a tournament 20minutes across the border and I heard they had a huge card store…this was in Watertown. They did …I went in and they had a few packs of hockey cards…..they had no singles, had no idea who Patrick Roy, Mario Lemieux or Steve Yzerman was……they had heard of Wayne Gretzky but didn’t have any of his cards. Football, basketball,baseball and even NCAA and they would know everyone….it is amazing how much of a difference 20 minutes could make….I am not shocked at all that most people outside of Quebec don’t know who she is.

• Habcouver says:

I regret to say most people on the other side of the country are respectfully ignorant of Quebec’s iconic figures. Madame Reno has a wonderful voice! How about a trade, straight up, for the Nuck’s Mark Donnelly? :)

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Luke says:

I’m sure plenty of folks in Quebec (and other places) are “respectfully ignorant” of Newfoundland’s or Saskastchewan’s iconic figures.

We could do a poll in Quebec (and elsewhere) tallying the number of folks who know who Connie Kaldor is.

I think that poeple are for some reason sad that she isn’t already known, as opposed to being happy that she is getting recognition and that they are curious about her.

I dunno, some folks know who some folks are, others don’t.

• Colombiahabs says:

Well said Luke. The problem is that Quebecors tend to think that people who are “Stars” in Quebec are important anywhere else in the world. The fact is you could catch them all in a half season of Tout le monde en Parle reruns. Get over yourself Quebec.. no one else cares!

• boing007 says:

Like Celine ‘Screech Owl’ Dion?

Richard R

• No worries — you sparked a good discussion. : )

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

• shiram says:

Maybe Bourque is superstitious, he did score very quickly after Reno finished singing.

Or he just really liked her interpretation.

33. Phil C says:

Ginette Reno is a gifted singer who sang the crap out of Oh Canada in an extremely passionate and inspiring way. That’s the cultural significance, not where she was born. You’ll have to do a lot explaining to convince me that as an anglophone that I didn’t quite get it, because I’m pretty sure I got what she was going for. So did Rene Bourque, who speaks less French than me.

• D Mex says:

Not real sure how to interpret your post : it strikes me as pure positive that (a) Bourque is looking to get pumped at game time, and (b) he finds her singing inspirational.
      It’s tough to imagine that an athlete, hell – anyone, would not be inspired by a voice like hers, isn’t it ?

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Everyone is assuming some sort of patriotism or musical appreciation on the part of Bourque. Could just be some old fashion superstition having scored 11 seconds in … tongue in cheek as I type.

• To be fair, the emotion in Reno’s voice counted for a lot, but who the singer is has a lot to do with it the impact too. If it were Saku Koivu up there singing — even if he was way off-key — he’d get a 12-minute ovation. Ditto for Beliveau or Robert Charlebois. Cultural impact matters.

Ginette Reno’s Quebec roots and 50-year career here have a lot to do with the way people see her here, and consequently with how the fans received her singing. If a person isn’t familiar with her cultural impact, they can’t get the full effect of what it means to have her singing the anthem.

• Phil C says:

Cultural impact? She’s a pop singer right? Won a Juno for a Chrustmas Album. So she used to be popular and they recognized her because she is a local girl, like would be the case in any North American city with a local star singing. What did I miss?

• Cardiac says:

She won Junos, was appointed to the Order of Canada, and has a star on Canada’s Walk of Fame. Not only that, she was awarded the country’s highest recognition for the performing arts by Canada’s Governor General. She’s also a critically acclaimed actress nominated for several Canadian cinema and television awards.

She’s a little more than a local girl who won a Juno for a Christmas album. You’re thinking more of Marie-Mai…

– Jerry Maguire

• Phil C says:

Sooooo, she’s a successful pop singer and an actress. I understand her accomplishments, and her talent was obvious. So it’s kinda like Sarah McLachlan singing at the Heritage classic?

• Paz says:

Montreal is NOT representative of this “culture”. Montreal is unique in Quebec because we are multi “cultural”.

Montreal is a wonderful mix of hundreds of different cultures, languages, religions, and colors. And we welcome all of them!!!

We should have an Italian or Greek or Muslim Montrealer sing at tonight’s game.

Would be even better if she sung in a full, covered religious garment.

• Cardiac says:

She looked a little like Mrs. Claus the other night… Does that count?

– Jerry Maguire

• D Mex says:

You’re out of line there, Cardiac.

ALWAYS Habs –
            D Mex

• Un Canadien errant says:

Normand Brathwaite. Kate and Anna McGarrigle. Nanette Workman. Zachary Richard. Sugar Sammy.

• Luke says:

@UCe
            Nope. I’m wrong. Nevermind.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…wasn’t JUST ‘a local girl’ Phil

…she was famous throughout the French-speaking world in her day …especially France

• DeadEnd says:

If I remember correctly, Johnny Carson loved her and had her on his show many times.

• Phil C says:

Ginette Reno was born in Montreal, so she’s a local girl. I meant it literally, not to diminish her accomplishments.

• Colombiahabs says:

hard to disagree with that also.

34. D Mex says:

Hockeycentral at Noon ‘ on location ‘ from the Bell Centre.
    Not that I really give a phoque but, listening to it, I wonder if they are still in denial (Kypreos and Millard are always tough to digest, too) …

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

35. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

So Cunneyworth wasn’t a cunning linguist who cares ?
    Ok a bad attempt at humor or is it humour.

36. D Man says:

Lots of comments about Bourque’s goal 11 sec into the game and Gainey 7 sec into the game vs Isles in 1977. I remember Gainey’s goal well. For some reason fans were into giving their team long “standing o’s” prior to the game that year. Announcers were timing them and home team fans were trying to out-do each other with longer and longer times. The Islander’s fans started early and continued through the anthems and into the game. For 7 seconds that is. Then for some reason it became very quiet.

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

37. youngwun says:

Chris lee is the ref tonight… Let’s see how this works out.

38. Un Canadien errant says:

We’re a little glum about the Bulldogs’ poor results this season, but imagine how the Canucks feel. They missed the playoffs, lost some key pieces on their roster with little to show for it, and their farm team also missed the playoffs. They have very little in Utica that gives hope for the future, despite this article that tries to put lipstick on a pig.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• Chris says:

And after watching Dane Fox get exposed in the series about Guelph, I think some shine is coming off that star.

Fox has been absolutely brutal in the first three games. He’s been ineffective offensively, and has been losing his composure frequently. He ended up getting benched for much of the third period last night because Kris Knoblauch was trying to send him a message to cool down. Fox was tossed from Game 1 for verbally abusing the officials and refusing to go to the penalty box…they gave him a LOT of leeway, but he just wouldn’t stop so they finally tossed him.

Between Gaunce and Fox, they have been held in check. Gaunce has 1 goal and is -5, while Fox has 1 assist and is -5. Both have struggled mightily with the speed of the Guelph Storm, which doesn’t bode well for them as professionals, where the average speed of the players is significantly faster than what you see in the AHL or junior.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I have been reading your recaps, and I did notice your take on Mr. Fox. I had already tempered my expectations after reading some articles about him, one good one that compared him to other high-scoring undrafted twenty-year olds juniors. Not that I wish him ill, or the Canucks, but the hype that this guy has been getting here, being mentioned in the same breath as Bo Horvat and Brendan Gaunce, every time, is getting to be a little much. It reminds me of the way some posters on here projected so much on Patrick Holland based on his final season, despite the fact that he was a seventh-rounder, and he was playing with two strong linemates.

39. habsfan0 says:

When was the last time the Habs blew out the opposition in a playoff game,winning by 5 goals?
    It seems to me they’re due.
    Max scores in bunches and seeing that he hasn’t scored in 6 games but the team keeps winning is also a very good sign.

40. chesterfiled says:

Am all for posters making digs at players and management as is their right. Some hate it, but my read on specific long time posters is that they are great lancers to obvious boils. DD got it bad, his numbers and game went 180 after november. Bouillon, overtime goal, is solid now strutting like a bull in full swan song. MT, all over the place, now all over the place in a grand strategy that is winning… in fact, I admire his new hiding all emotions demeanour wether scored for against his team. Would like a win tonight.
    Gagne le CH!

41. WindsorHab-10 says:

Don’t mean to be rude but who is Ginette Reno? I know she sang the anthem b4 game 3 but what’s her claim to fame?

42. JoaquindaPark says:

Cooper has us on the defensive with his disallowed goal mountain out of mole hill. Cooper should concentrate on limiting Ray Bourque’s and Co breakaways, and get his forwards not to do stick plants into their own net. Karma may not be enough.
    Furthermore, why is the assault on Gionta by Barbeiro not driving a suspension? If that isn’t attempt to injure I don’t know what is.

• GoldenSeal says:

Wow, now Rene has turned into Ray Bourque…what a difference three games make. Let’s hope he can keep it up for the rest of the playoffs.

43. Habcouver says:

I wear my favourite Habs clothes on a daily basis. More and more Hab fans are donning their jerseys and hats in Greater Vancouver.

I had a nice impromptu chat with a proud and superstitious Hab fan sitting in a restaurant… he flashed me a cautious look when I suggested the broom motion.
    Later in the day, I was shouted at, “Go Habs Go!” at the Supertsore parking lot.

There’s nothing comparable than the Habs in the post season!

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

44. Luke says:

Where’s Matty today?

Is he too busy getting ready to wreck any chance Montreal has for a sweep?

We are watching you, Matty.
    We are watching you.

• Ozmodiar says:

You’ll see during the pre-game spectacle….

SPOILER ALERT!!

The show will go down something like this… When the lights go out, a spot light will flash 24 times on each of the Stanley Cup banners… then… on an unsuspecting Matty. (who will look up sheepishly as takes a sip of beer. the crowd will boo.)

45. naweed235 says:

Just curious, How many of you actually wouldn’t mind having the series extended maybe by 1 or 2 more games just to avoid a long layoff time that might get the guys rusty.
    I think the rust and momentum factors are very real in the playoffs and I’m not sure how beneficial it is to have more than a week off in the middle of such high tempo competition.

46. Mavid says:

Wow..the homers on 1200 interviewing Fraser..and he is back peddling now..saying that Price threw himself into the TB player on purpose, Fraser then proceeds to bring up another incident involving JVD..the homers are lapping it up..of course because they still think this is the reason why they lost to us on that famous saturday night…un friggen believable..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Hobie says:

Flip over to 690. We get it in Ottawa. :-).

• habs-fan-84 says:

Fraser was interviewed yesterday and completed supported the refs decision. At the end of the day, it was a bad call imo.

Quite frankly, Price has been given a few goalie interference calls he probably shouldn’t have received (like the call on JVR on Nov. 30th). Price has obviously got the respect of the refs these days.

• Luke says:

After the initial play, Fraser said basically, it was the proper call and a bad rule.

It’s funny how “they” keep complaining about the call. Don’t argue the call, argue the rule.

• Mavid says:

Exactly..they are making this about the Habs as opposed to the rule..sore losers.

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

I agree that is exactly what’s happening here. Attacking the Habs not the rule itself. I see it all the time up here. No credit for the Habs. Lightening don’t have Bishop, other wise they’d be winning, the disputed goal call. They really are sore losers. Many are not very knowledgeable nor are they fair minded / good sports…

24 cups and counting….

• GoldenSeal says:

Don’t worry they are all a bunch of disgruntled Leaf fans.

47. habs11s says:

Patrick Marleau, Ryan O’Reilly and Martin St. Louis named Lady Bing Finalists as per TSN

I guess it would go great with Marty’s ‘Hissy Fit of the Year Award’

_____________________________________________________________

48. DipsyDoodler says:

The “French coach” thing is a red herring. I’m fairly sure if we sign Babcock no one will complain. In fact, almost no one complained about Cunneyworth. Something like 20 people protested before one game and it was blown up into a major thing.

The argument as I understand it is if you’re going to sign a retread – say it’s between Laviolette and Therrien, then might as well go for Therrien.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I stand by what I said. A tiny handful of people protested, the media amplified it.

• Ozmodiar says:

Perhaps you should read the article, particularly the quotes from the politicos. (I don’t think they were among the handful of protesters)

• DipsyDoodler says:

Yes some politicians made hay out of it.

I live here and know a lot of Canadiens fans, some of whom are separatist. The French speaking coach thing matters very little to them.

The pronouncements of politicians are taken for what they are. Noise.

• Ozmodiar says:

Okay, so now it’s a handful of protesters + politicians.

The latter group tend to be a very vocal bunch, often as a means to please their constituents.

• DipsyDoodler says:

It’s the Habs Oz – people freak out about lineups for pre-season games.

The Cunney storm lasted like 2 games.

• Ozmodiar says:

True dat.

Although, I think the group that raised a fuss over the Cunney hiring wouldn’t know a Habs line-up if you smacked them in the face with one of RetroMikey’s gameday programs.

• Paz says:

No one complained about Cunneyworth? They roasted and ridiculed him right out of town on RDS. It’s no red herring. It’s very real.

• Caesar is along for the ride for 25 says:

I think his coaching and not his mother tongue was more to blame

• DipsyDoodler says:

They did not roast him on RDS for being Anglophone.

This is wrong and I remember it very clearly.

They discussed the issue, and many said he would have problems if the team kept losing.

But no RDS did not run him out of town for being an Anglo.

• Paz says:

It was obviously more subtle. No one on RDS is stupid enough to roast someone for being Anglo. They just convinced everyone that he had “no system” which was 1000% false, of course, but convenient, because the Anglo coach had to be removed.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Sorry, but you’re veering into paranoia.

Now you’re suggesting Cunney was actually a good coach undone by the media?

He inherited a train wreck and he drove it off a cliff.

• Paz says:

13-12 and 7 is no train wreck. Martin was fired because Gauthier did not want him and did not hire him.

• Hobie says:

I wish you were correct Dipsy. It’s just one man’s opinion, me, but I have the feeling the coach must at least be able to converse in French at lets say a Bob Gainey level.

There might not be anything in writing but the entire organization all agrees that it would cause so much of a s*&t storm, mainly brought on by the French media, that it’s not worth the hassle and will only hire French coaches.

• Paz says:

I agree Hobie. Francophone media stirs the politics of division every time.

• Hobie says:

It’s all comes down to $$$. The Habs hire an English coach, the French media goes wild, the fans are brainwashed by their BS, the team starts losing money.

• Paz says:

100% agree.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Don’t believe it Hobie. The “French media” did not go wild.

• Hobie says:

OK, what causes the Habs to be frightened to death to hire the best the best coach available? It’s just luck of the draw that all our coaches have been French?

How about the “BYE BYE RANDY” front page of the Journal de Montreal when Cunneyworth was fired? If that’s not a clear indication of the French media being jerks about an English coach being hired I don’t know what is?

**And ya, we should not be discussing this on a day like toady where everyone is really excited about tonight’s game. I had to answer though because your statement was obviously wrong. Sorry everybody!**

• Paz says:

Hobie, people don’t like to admit the bigotry. They cover it up.

• Un Canadien errant says:

It’s the ‘hiring a French coach is a problem, we should hire the best-qualified people’ meme that’s the red herring.

The policy has forced the Canadiens over the years to hire obviously unqualified candidates such as Pat Burns, Alain Vigneault, Claude Julien, and Michel Therrien, who were so far out of their element that they were fired, and quickly washed out of the league, never to re-appear. Right?

The idea that there’s a ‘best-qualified’ candidate that can be objectively determined, who will receive a determinate score of 98 while all others score in the 70’s and 80’s, is a fallacy, and flies in the face of the realities of recruiting and people management.

Thought experiment: is there a best-available candidate to manage a restaurant, objectively, or many that are suitable, with some strong on experience, some on youthful enthusiasm and fresh ideas, some on hitting the numbers, some on motivating and training and retaining staff? And then is it just a question of figuring out what your priorities are, and hiring the manager that will be the best fit?

What about if your restaurant is in Montréal or Toronto or Shanghai, is the objectively-best candidate one and the same? Do you tailor your choice based on your staff and clientele?

———————————————————————–
      My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• Paz says:

The language on the ice is English. The language for team meeting is English.

The reason why the Habs CHANGED their philosophy of hiring in 1985 was because of the “politics” of division led by the Parti Quebecois and supported by the Francophone media.

This whole “cultural” rationale is code for the Habs being fearful of negative press and backlash, which is exactly what happened under Cunneyworth.

Its politics of division and bigotry, and those days, along with PQ, are hopefully way behind us now.

• The Jackal says:

I think those politics and days are behind us, at least for the most part. There are certainly some groups that see the language issue for the team as a political issue, but for the most part that is not the way most fans in Quebec see it. But at the end of the day, the Habs have had a very unique role in their community’s society, something not done or enjoyed by other teams, and part of that unique history involves French identity. I don’t think the team would lose fans if they had a unilingual coach but it would put up one more barrier for unilingual fans who spoke French, and that’s the issue. Other teams don’t have to think about connecting with fans on a cultural level, but the Habs do, and that is part of what makes them special. IMO it’s important for that connection and heritage to be upheld and honoured and it does not impact the team negatively in any way, just positively.

And before people bring up historied soccer teams having coaches and management that don’t speak the home language, let’s go ahead and settle the fact that that is not a proper comparison. The key to the Habs is their role in the cultural and social history of Quebec, the team is in many ways a reflection of Quebec identity as a previously oppressed group. Manchester United, AC Milan, Real Madrid… they are storied teams but not in the same way that the Habs are. The closest thing I can think of is Barcelona, a Catalan team. But I wager that if there was a Catalan speaking coach who could coach at the elite level, then he’d be hired in a heartbeat. And that brings us to another key consideration – The Habs can hire French-speaking coaches because there are many good candidates who can coach in the NHL and win. On the other hand, how many Catalan-speaking coaches are coaching elite level soccer teams? If there were no good French-speaking candidates, the Habs would not hire a bad candidate just to have a French coach, they’d go with the best choice.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Paz says:

We need to get past this. The best, most qualified coach must be hired. The language he spoke coaching Major Junior in Quebec is irrelevant in the NHL, which is an English language league.

• The Jackal says:

Thanks UCE, totally agree with this.

PS – thanks for the recommendations, I didn’t end up checking one of the places out as we left early yesterday due to the bad conditions, but I’ll give you a shout next time I’m in Whistler and catch a Habs game!

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Habspark says:

I understand your point and agree with the point you are making, but personally I would prefer a coach to bring a further intangible to the dressing room, not one that involves flattering ‘the clientele’. In my experience, it’s what comes out of the kitchen that counts, not how well you get on with the guy who delivers it to your table.

It’s a sad reflection on the politics of Quebec that the majority of ‘the clientele’ – who hold Canadian passports – can’t understand/aren’t educated to understand English (as a second language) from a very young age. I am proud that Quebec has it’s Frenchness, and long may it remain, it makes us unique in North America; but, speaking as one of ‘the clientele’, we are part of an English-speaking North America and looking inwards never got anyone anywhere, least of all Montreal.

• Phil C says:

People who really care about hockey don’t care about language and people who really care about language don’t care about hockey.

49. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Yeah, hey, it’s gonna be a bright (bright) bright (bright)
    Habby day.

50. I know there are some folks on here (44%) who want a piece of Boston in the second round. If Boston stuck to hockey instead of thuggery, I’d be one of them.

But in a league where Lucic gets fined 0.083% of his annual salary for trying to end DeKeyser’s parental ambitions, and where Seabrook gets a measly 3 games for knocking out the Blues’ captain with an elbow to the head, there are simply no meaningful consequences for intent to injure. Twice on Sunday night, Bolts players boarded Habs with no call — and Montreal got away with some things too. And these are two teams that work to beat their opponents on the scoreboard, not in the alley — imagine what the Bruins will do (and get away with). If that’s just peachy with the league, then they should say so, so that all 30 teams can adjust their styles and rosters accordingly. If not, then for the love of the game, they need to crack the hell down.

It’s a sad statement about the game, but because of all of this, I’d rather forgo a classic high-stakes original-six rivalry and face the Wings instead. They’re fast and skilled and frankly are probably more likely to beat us given recent history, but they’re a hockey team — in the sense that they’re there to play hockey, not end players’ seasons/careers.

In that spirit, let’s go Wings. If anyone can teach Boston the merits of clean skilled hockey, it’s Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Babcock and the rest of a solid Detroit team.

• kalevine says:

hear here

• bwoar says:

Plus, it’s the first time we’ve had Detroit in our division in an eternity. I want to play them and start a new rivalry!

• GoldenSeal says:

Yes of course, but that is why it will be even sweeter when the Habs take out the Bs. I mean someone has to show the Leafs how to do it, heh.

• Sure it’ll be sweet — unless we end up facing the Penguins with Subban, Price and Markov all nursing cheap shot-induced injuries from the press box.

Maybe we finally have the toughness to push back (though I doubt it). But even if we do, I’d rather watch a hockey game than a goonfest.

• GoldenSeal says:

I think this team is tougher than you might think.

Murray, Tinordi, Chucky, Eller, Bourque (wow, can’t believe I’m adding him to this list), Vanek, White, Bournival, Prust (not so much these days), Moen (probably won’t make it back for the playoffs), Parros, Weise, Emelin, Gorges, Subban, even Patches, seems to have ratcheted up a notch. Don’t think the Habs will be pushed around as much as you think they will.

They will probably go after the smaller guys, especially Gallagher.

• I hope you’re right, and I agree team toughness has improved. But St. Louis is proof that team toughness doesn’t prevent cheap shots to important players.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Just look at what Minny did to Colorado last night.

It works.

Moving. Forward.

• Yup. Minny loses a 3rd-liner for a few games, and COL loses their best offensive D.

Good news for Minny. Bad news for the sport.

• FlyAngler says:

In person hearing for Cooke means possible suspension in excess of 5 games.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• GoldenSeal says:

They are likely to make an example of him once again as no one will complain. This serves them well in light of some of the joke justice they’ve meted out so far this playoffs.

• FlyAngler says:

You make valid points optimist. But the NHL seems poised to send Matt Cooke into oblivion and will be in a difficult position if it appears indifferent to premeditated thuggery on the Bruins part. I have mixed feelings myself but just do not see the Wings beating the Bruins with Howard in the net and Rask at the other end. Post Chara-Pacioretty, the league will have to be vigilant if the Habs and the Bruins meet in round 2 lest the Campbell connection and Jacobs influence become the subject of undesired commentary.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• Hi Angler — it’s true that Cooke is in hot water. But while he, Raffi Torres and a couple of other thugs get lengthy (well-deserved) suspensions for their gooning, I don’t think other guys have received the same level of punishment. That seems especially true if the offenders are good players.

I really hope that you’re right, and that the league finally feels compelled to crack down. But similar pressure seems to have yielded few results in the past, with not so much as a symbolic fine for Lucic’s charging of Ryan Miller, or Chara’s attempted decapitation of Pacioretty. Marchand’s attempt to wreck Salo’s knees springs to mind too — a measly 5 games, or 6% of the season. Probably would have been half that in the playoffs.

• krob1000 says:

The preferential treatment is what bothers me. I am surprised the NHLPA has noissues with this mentality…on one hand they are protecting their offenders…but that comes at the expense of hurting a member. I guess from their perspective, the palyer gets paid while injured and doesn;’t while supended? Is it really about that? That is the only trationale I can come up with why an organization like the NHLPA with so much clout does nto wantt o protect its membership. Ovechkin, Lucic, Chara, all guy who seem to be coated in disciplinary teflon. Then others like Sean Avery were targeted…..don;t get me wrong Avery was a pest…but I wonder what would have happened had he tried his goalie dance thing on a no name foreign goalie and not Marty Brodeur.

There are vicous incidents that happen all the time and a guy gets up…no consequence…..the guy lies down or is actually hurt and it is a suspension or longer penalty. I know intent is the issue and is hard to gauge but at some point recklessness and intent need to be weighed and carry similar clout to resulting injury.

• FlyAngler says:

Hi Optimist,

I am far from having great faith in the League doing the right thing but do think that things have improved greatly since Shanahan took over from Campbell and Murphy which I think was partly due to the fallout over Chara-Max.

Lucic has stupidly put himself on the skyline with his spearing incidents of late and he and Marchand have both previously received supplemental discipline. Any serious player safety incidents could cost either of them 4 or 5 games or more at least in theory.

What troubles me is that in the playoffs some officials seem to “let them play” and allow illegal hits- charging and boarding for instance as long as there is no significant head contact. It will be interesting to see what happens if they meet up.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• You may well be right, and maybe the league will finally enforce the rules — certainly I hope I’m wrong. Meanwhile I’ll just have to stay cautiously optimistic. : )

• WindsorHab-10 says:

I ‘d like to win the first round before worrying about my next opponent.

• You’re a wiser man than me. : )

• FlyAngler says:

C’mon Windsor! your avatar says otherwise as you are clearly already pissing all over the Bruins! Unless someone comes up with an image of somebody taking a big dump on a bear, you will continue to have the best avatar on HIO IMO!

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• frontenac1 says:

I’d love a Habs/Bruins match up! Just like the old days. Bring it On!! Saludos!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Just a technical point, but whether we face the Bruins or the Wings, it will be an Original Six matchup.

51. Un Canadien errant says:

Just to clarify, the NHIC team has been lauded for many seasons for its musical montages to open its broadcasts. It’s not something they came up with this year.

Here is a National Post article profiling Tim Thompson, the filmmaker who puts these together.

Here is an article with what the author considers are seven of the best ones.

The one that really stuck with me was the one he did with “Le But”, the rap song which the Canadiens now use as their goal song. Just chock-full of great Hab legends and memories, and a song that I liked instantly.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

52. habs-fan-84 says:

Seriously though, where is Charles Prévost Linton? Why is he not doing the anthems anymore?

• Was wondering the same thing. Boone, do you know if he’s well?

• LizardKing12 says:

Relax it’s just a playoff gimmick. CPL sings the national anthem at like 90% of home games so he wouldn’t exactly get the crowed fired up. Roll out a local celeb and the crowed will go wild!

• Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

They need to get him out there in a tux.
      Or maybe her.

53. Iceberg84 says:

I hope TB starts Gudlevskis. I feel bad for the kid having those terrible numbers on his stat sheet: 10.37 GAA + 0.667%. Imagine having that follow you around your whole career.

• Chrisadiens says:

Cooper is too smart to start Gudlevskis. The Habs would eat him alive.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Strummer says:

Don’t feel too bad for the kid. Those stats represent less than 6 minutes of playing time.
      He made his mark on the biggest hockey stage in the world and looked well doing so.
      That’s probably why he is even getting a look in the NHL. __________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

54. JUST ME says:

Cool picture with Max and D.D. Honestly it has been a long long time since i have seen the Habs have fun as they are having for the last months. Something in the spirit of that team is catching up. Could it be the job of the infamous Michel Therrien ?

Here i go now into a very tricky subject and this being said without malice of any kind. Every month (at least) the subject of the francophone coach comes back and some of you do not understand why it has to be that way. I agree that only results are important but try to tell you that there is something more you have to understand about Montreal …And meanwhile some of you have no idea who Ginette Reno is ! She has been singning for 50 years in Québec ! So you see when we say that there is something you must understand about Montreal and the province of Québec ? Again i am not blaming anyone but just trying to make a point and illustrate how the coach`s language relates to so many other things…

Let`s win this one tonight ,rest and look at the other teams piling up injuries …

• GoldenSeal says:

I’m loving the Habs run this year but do not kid yourselves, MT is still the weakest link on this team. I prey that he doesn’t pull an idiotic move during the playoffs as is his wont.

At least it seems he has finally figured out that PK is not only the best offensive DMan in the league but also the best shutdown DMan in the league. Stamkos lack of results is greatly due to PK’s coverage.

• Cal says:

No credit, but all the blame for MT. You sure you’re not Timo?

• I’m not a Therrien fan either, but you can’t argue with his results. He’s way outperformed my expectations this year — taking a strong 2nd-tier team and competing hard with the first-tier big boys. And come playoff time, he switched to playoff mode — adjusting the team’s style as appropriate. I may not like him, but I respect what he’s done.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

You know I read all posts on here most often…but your posts almost always contradict reality….PK is not the best offensive D and not even close to the best defensive shut down D…..don’t you even watch him. Even in this current playoffs he is still not playing near the level (other than occasional spurts ) he needs to play to be considered great. One fancy play in 3 games does not make him anything special. Get a grip on reality man.

• GoldenSeal says:

Another PK hater I guess. Sorry to disillusion but PK has been the Habs best player this series.

• Phil C says:

“So you see when we say that there is something you must understand about Montreal and the province of Québec ?”

Is it any different than any other city in the NHL when they have a local celebrity sing?

• JUST ME says:

@ Phil C

good point !

• Un Canadien errant says:

There is a difference Phil. When posters say that the only reason the Canadiens hire a francophone coach, or sign Québécois players, is so that media types don’t have to go through the trouble of translating the interviews, it reveals a profound ignorance about how much of a barrier language is. They’re immersed in an anglophone culture, with Canada and the U.S. able to communicate freely. They don’t run up against the obstacles francophones do. If they want to know what Céline Dion or Claude Giroux think or say, they can hear it first-hand, because most media personalities from Québec learn to speak English. The reverse isn’t true. A kid from Sorel who speaks French can’t hear 50 Cent or LeBron James has to say, he can’t communicate with him directly.

Anyone watching 24 CH gets a glimpse of this. When the team made a trip to Lac Mégantic, the players who got the most attention, and could share the most with the fans, were the francos, David Desharnais, Daniel Brière, Francis Bouillon. The coach, Michel Therrien, is seen in a ‘bain de foule’, signing autographs, comfortably exchanging with residents. There is a scene where Daniel Brière is speaking with workers and volunteers at the arena, and they’re explaining what happened during the tragedy, which areas were affected, etc. It’s a moment of humanity that happens because Daniel can speak with these guys directly, and which wouldn’t happen with Ryan White or Kyle Turris.

Another moment is when P.K. meets with the young boy who got hit by his errant shot a few weeks ago. P.K. goes the extra mile, calls the family, invites them to another game, and meets with them afterward. Now, P.K. has a million watt personality, and tries to engage with the kids, who are agog at meeting their hero in the flesh, but unfortunately they don’t speak English, and the parents have to translate. It’s still a moment the kids will remember forever, but comparatively less special than it could have been had P.K. managed to learn to speak French, as Ken Dryden and Bob Gainey and Steve Shutt and Larry Robinson did, just enough to hold a basic conversation.

I met a few of the Expos as a kid, I was there with my Little League team, and we got autographs, but none of us spoke English, and none of the Expos spoke French, so it was all orchestrated by intermediaries, and was a little wooden and stilted. I loved the Expos, but the Canadiens, they were special to me, they were mine, I could identify with them a lot more.

So the difference between Ginette Reno and Kate Smith is that a kid from San Diego or Tallahassee can identify with and understand Philadelphia’s good-luck charm, but the kid from Sorel can’t. It’s goes beyond the ‘local singer’ angle.

———————————————————————–
        My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• Cal says:

Just so. Well said, UCe.

• Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

The crime is that both languages are not taught from an early age.
          Throw in Spanish and they have 90% of the planet covered.

• Phil C says:

Ginette Reno sang the anthem in a way that would make you want to fix your bayonet and charge the castle. If that does not transcend language, I don’t know what does.

I also think you don’t give enough credit to the kid from Sorel about watching Kate Smith. It is also not accurate to lump all English speaking people into one cultural group. Coming from the east coast of Canada, I often found more in common culturally with many of my francophone friends than I did with many of my english speaking friends once we got past the language barrier. The cultural significance of language is highly overrated IMO.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Phil, are your francophone friends speaking to you in English, or are you speaking to them in French? Because if they’re speaking to you in English, you’re being accommodated, and insulated from the barrier that you dismiss as not that important.

• Phil C says:

A little bit of both. I was living in Quebec at the time, so I was necessary for me to learn the language to at least a functional level. I certainly agree that you get to know someone much better when you can talk to them in their native tongue. I much prefer to listen to Therrien in his French press conferences, for example, even if a miss some of it. My vocabulary has shrunk a lot since then.

• Ass in TO, Heart in the Forum says:

Thanks UCE. You’ve got a gift for eloquently communicating sensitive topics without offending. Well said.

• LizardKing12 says:

Sorry not buying your french speaking coach argument. We’ve had nothing but french speaking coaches for the last 2 decades why haven’t any of them ‘inspired’ the hometown crowd and brought along certain ‘intangibles’ that lead to success?

The Habs aren’t winning because the coach speaks french or because the anthem singer was a french icon, they are winning because they are a good team with talented players at every position. There is no logical argument for restricting our selection of coaches to ones who can speak french. The priority of an NHL team should be to win games and acquire/sign the best possible players, managers and coaches. The coach needs above all else to be able to communicate with his players and seeing as there are at least a half a dozen different native languages on the team the common denominator is always english. Any argument pro french speaking coaches is purely emotional and ideological and that has no place in running a business I’m sorry. 99 out of every 100 press conferences are made up entirely of cliches and trying to say as little as possible. If you watched the press conference after last game you will notice that Therrien clearly had a set message he wanted to say and didn’t actually directly answer most of the questions, instead choosing to stick to the cliches.

Hey Liz.

He’s not saying a Francophone coach will make the team better.

You’re right about the press conferences though.

• Cal says:

“There is no logical argument for restricting our selection of coaches to ones who can speak french.”
        It’s okay if you don’t get it.

• LizardKing12 says:

Ok give me a factual reason why we have to restrict our selection to french speaking coaches. Give me an argument that isn’t the majority of the Quebec population is french speaking. The job of the coach is to communicate with the players not the fans. You are sorely mistaken if you think the argument for hiring french coaches isn’t 100% ideological. It has nothing to do with providing a better on ice product and everything to do with culture.

55. Say Ash says:

I heard our record with Chris Lee is 3-13. Seriously? It can’t be the good.

56. FlyAngler says:

Really hope the boys close it out tonight so that they can begin to focus on their inevitable encounter with the miscreant, the missing link, and char-magnon man- Marchand, Lucic and Chara.

I just do not see Jimmy Howard out dueling Rask in a best of 7. Bring it on!

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

57. DipsyDoodler says:

Chris Lee is like Peter Sellers in Dr Strangelove – his right arm keeps wanting to go up almost as a tic.

58. shiram says:

Ryan RishaugVerified account ‏@TSNRyanRishaug

Cooper says zero chance Bishop plays tonight.

• GoldenSeal says:

Can’t say that I have a lot of respect for the Bolts medical staff. Letting Stamkos play in the third period after stumbling to get off the ice was pathetic. Only neanderthals like Cherry respect crap like that. Stamkos should be smarter than that. He should take a look at some of the pictures of brains of dead hockey players that had their bells rung repeatedly. Unfathomable.

59. B says:

Stubbs’ tweet of an awesome photo from Sunday’s game:

–Go Habs Go!–

60. Hobie says:

Odds stacked against Lightning heading into Game 4 vs. Habs : Not with Chris Lee!

61. GoldenSeal says:

I really liked Carey’s skate routine after the icing call. Seems that teams have been doing it against the Habs forever. Another sign that this team may be ready for primetime.

62. bwoar says:

Seen in “You Might Also Like”:

“Bourque to Colorado trade falls through: reports;”

Heh. It’s the trades you don’t make, eh?

63. LizardKing12 says:

Looking a little farther ahead, I think Stubb’s article about Vanek is encouraging. Seems to me that he really enjoys playing in this city and really likes the group of guys in the room. If the Habs can manage to have a really deep playoff run I am cautiously optimistic that Vanek will be willing to stick around long term. The Habs have the cap space to offer him as big a contract as any other team in the league. Montreal is the mecca of hockey and he will not experience a more electric building or city during the playoffs that is for damn sure!

64. Fansincebirth says:

1st – Tampa comes out gang busters but fail to score..we get 2. 2-0

2nd – Tampa gets one back before we go up 3-1.

3rd – Tampa makes it 3-2 on yet another BS call from Lee early in the 3rd but we score 2 more including an empty netter.

Final – 5-2 Habs.

Yup….sounds good to me :)

65. FlyAngler says:

Chris Lee & Francois St. Laurent in stripes tonight. We should not expect any breaks or gifts in this one. In fairness, I do think that the two of them are better than they were 2 or 3 years ago.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

66. Prop says:

Given the fact that one of the worst refs in the NHL is at the game, the Habs will need to be all buisness and get this done.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

67. krob1000 says:

Being in KTown…3-0 is not safe!!! Fronts blew a 3-0 series lead and then were up 3-0 in two games with chances to close out series vs Peterborough Petes…they lost…..it happens. It ain’t over til it’s over.

68. Phil C says:

You’re too fast for me. ;-)

69. Ozmodiar says:

was waiting for someone to bite on that one :)

70. bwoar says:

Seems like Rene Bourque cares, good enough for me. Also, I like nice singing.

71. johnnylarue says:

Ginette’s a French Canadian cultural icon–basically the Anti-Celine. She’s a force of nature, and a refreshing change from the usual milquetoast blonde poptarts usually found doing anthems at sporting events… (with all due respect to blonde poptarts.)

72. Psycho29 says:

Kind of like one of your posts. Who cares?

73. sprague cleghorn says:

If you enjoyed that you’d probably like the movie “Twenty Feet from Stardom”. It’s on Netflix at the moment, I think.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

74. Maksimir says:

I’ll take one blonde poptart please? ummm.. make that 2.

75. Mavid says:

milquetoast..LOL…now there’s a blast from the past..thats what my mother used to call boring people.. **sigh*** I miss her…

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

76. johnnylarue says:

Conveniently enough, they come in 2-packs! Unfortunately for you, I believe a “blonde” poptart is one with no frosting on it.

77. Corsican specifically, which is why she moves like in Shiram’s link… still shaking over here…

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

78. johnnylarue says:

Yup–still a good word, Mavid! ;)

79. johnnylarue says:

+1. That dude was hella ‘turned on’, man. :D

80. Mattyleg says:

I’m a Frog, you’re a Frog, kiss me: x x… and I’ll turn into a price, suddenly…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

81. frontenac1 says:

Lalonde sucked. Offenbach, that was the Real Deal.