O’Byrne’s stay in Hamilton a short one

The Canadiens have recalled defenceman Ryan O’Byrne from the Hamilton Bulldogs after he played only two games since being sent down on Feb. 7.

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey reports that  head coach Guy Carbonneau was not happy with his defencemen after Saturday’s game. It’s unclear who might sit, but Patrice Brisebois played less than 10 minutes against the Senators.

Here is the team’s official release on O’Byrne’s recall:

The Montreal Canadiens announced today that defensemen Ryan O’Byrne has been recalled from the Hamilton Bulldogs of the American Hockey League.

The 23-year-old rookie played 11 games with the Canadiens this season, scoring two points (2 assists) while delivering 20 hits and blocking 18 shots. He was assigned to Hamilton on February 7 after missing 16 games due to a hand injury suffered on December 28 in Florida. With Hamilton, O’Byrne registered eight points in 20 games (2 goals, 6 assists), a plus-3 and 49 penalty minutes.

O’Byrne will join the Canadiens on Sunday in Tampa Bay.

1. TradeRyder says:

hope you’re not including me. I hate alll this “midseason meltdown” stuff. It was one game. We’ll come back – but it does point out some flaws. You have to have rose coloured glasses not to see that. It’s just as bad to be a Pollyanna as to catastrophize.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

2. TradeRyder says:

Here’s your answer about Brisebois:

He took two stupid penalties that led to two goals. They should give -1 for every goal that happens when you’re in the box but they don’t. On top of that he cowered in the corner during the fight, missed a COUPLE of pucks during the power play at the blue line and made bad passes half the night. You need more????

Jeez I hate it when people defend Brisebois. He seems like a nice guy but there’s a reason Colorado didn’t want to keep him and EVERYONE knows he just plain sucks.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

3. TradeRyder says:

I am used to agreeing with most of you malcontents but today I disagree about Carbo. Coaches aren’t born, they’re made. I think Carbo is still learning how to control himself, and has been doing better, and does not have the team he needs. Yes, he seems to be stuck in a rut with certain players but I think it’s also true the team doesn’t have the depth we think it does.

For me – Gainey has to wake up to the team’s problems. He needs to realize that having a player like Sergei Kostitsyn fight Redden shows that the team is missing a piece or two (and also that the coach does not have the right people – the Cube excluded – stepping up at the right times). And players like Smolinski and Brisebois, who everyone knows are sucking, are not depth they are baggage. Those two are not just coaching problems they are obvious GM problems too – Dandenault (our minus leader) and Latron (who shows up every third game) are more coaching issues. Koivu too is a GM and Coaching issue. The fans know something is up, the team is obviously not doing enough about it.

60% of our team is solid almost every game; 30% is 50-50; the other 10% should be dumped, benched, retired or traded. And I’m not even talking about Ryder here who I put in the 50-50 camp… lately has been more of the good 50 for him. But why Breezer and Smokey the bearly-there-ski are playing is WAY beyond reason. Would Scotty Bowman be playing Smolinski and Brisebois at all let alone in clutch situations? When that happens – we are not like the Laffs – we ARE the Laffs! Other teams should be sending gifts to Carbo for some of his choices.

I have a specific question abouut last night’s game too. I didn’t see the super stats but think I heard we were outhit in the last two periods. What do you do when you are 3 goals down and the other team has superstars flying all around the ice? You hit – and hit – and hit!!!!! Komi is GREAT but he should have flattened someone. He had opportunities. How come it’s the Kostitsyn brothers only who seem to have that killer instinct? We need it – Gainey needs to go get it. I promise you he WILL make a trade for this but let’s hope it’s not for some minor-league, glass-jawed lumberjack on skates.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

4. Ed says:

I can tell from all of your posts that you are a real Ryder lover. But you should not be so blatant about it. Try to curtail your enthusiasm.

5. ColRouléBleu says:

Question for the Brisebois bashers: how come he was +/- 0 last night and Komisarek/Bouillon were both -3 ? It is clear the Brisebois should only have a limited role on the team but where does all that hate come from?

I’m glad that OB was called back, we will hopefully see a ‘normal’ D-squad again this week: Markie/Komisarek – Hammer/O’Byrne and Bouillon/Gorges.

Note for Carbo: when will you understand that Markov and Komisarek are joined at the hip and that separating them is a surgery that has 0% odds of succeeding…

6. stephen says:

Yes, but what do you think of Carbo?

7. Hockey11 says:

Amen Brother, the team has no respect for his indecision and knee jerk reactions not to mention his highly emotional bench antics and referee smirking. One would think the French press are running this team. Maybe they are?

8. planet habs says:

the habs mid season meltdown has begun. want to know why: Carbo is unable AGAIN to motivate his players, and too many european players, (too lazy and no grit). When Gainey was coach, we didn’t have all these NO SHOW games, and less euros. Has to do with respect. The players don’t respect Carbo, and NO COMMUNICATION between Carbo and the players. Carbo is the wrong coach for this team.If the habs fail to make the playoffs, heads will definitely roll.But I still say that when Carbo goes, along with Koivu, then, and only then will this team’s psyche improve. This team has gotten stale with Koivu, no jump, bad attitude, no energy, lack of determination. It’s time for a new regiem to begin.

9. Xtrahabsfan says:

Ya ,he scored in bunches last nite,lol! Oh ya,it was out of his hands,lol

10. Xtrahabsfan says:

Isaw the Marlies/Bulldogs game,make Biron a forward.

11. showey47 says:

for sure, great size, will drop the gloves but skates at the speed of smell. Career minor leaguer who will help prospects like valentenko, carle etc.

12. nightmare_49 says:

Biron’s just getting back from injury and is slower than Latenderness and the Breezer.

13. mrstewart61 says:

I like it. I’d like to see the following forward lines with that D:

K-P-K
    Higgins – Koivu – Ryder
    Lats – Lapierre – SK74
    Streit – Chips – Tom/Begin/Dandy

14. mrstewart61 says:

I would love Chipchura over Smolinski.

15. Xtrahabsfan says:

Call up Biron as well,get some more size and protection !!!!

16. Xtrahabsfan says:

Did you see Huet yesterday,he was a joke!And then they throw Price into the fire cold with no D,LOL.tRADE HUET and play price/Halak!

17. N.B.habs fan says:

Keep Ryder in ,he will come around…I didnt see to many goals by anyone else last night. Leave this line alone and give them time to work it out or untill they make a trade.

18. Samantha says:

Ryder shouldn’t sit. i think he’s been playing better than Higgins this year. Carbo is scapegoating the wrong guy. But Koivu was awesome last night in my opinion.

19. Vancouver Hab Fan says:

I am also hoping Brisebois is done with the team, he has been playing worse and worse over the past few games and that’s descencing from average/mediocre play.

Now if the team would aslo recall Chipchura and cut Smolinkski (who is actually playing worse than Brisebois) then that would be a big step forward in my opinion.

I have not really been a Locke fan because I have seen him play numerous games in Hamilton and he did nothing to impress me but since his one game with the Habs he has been putting up points at a better pace than at any point in his AHL career. Maybe they should recall him and try him as a winger, see if he can give a line some offensive punch.

What is going on with Higgins? I thought he would break out this year, and I still like him but he’s got to start putting up some points.

Go Habs!

20. Samantha says:

I’m happy that O’byrne is back, but the person I want to see called up is Halak. Price is not ready and to me, Halak is the goalie of the future. All around, Halak is a better goaltender. He can’t rely on his size so he has to use technique, the opposite is true for Price. I just don’t see anything great about him. Halak gets called up for a couple of weeks, plays 0 games, Price plays the second game he’s there. If I were Halak, I would leave. But I honestly think everyone will regret focusing on Price because I’m telling you, Halak is better and he will kill us in a few years.

21. Chuck says:

It’s not too difficult… start a “Carbo Sucks” chant every time Brisebois steps on the ice.

Or… you could go the other route and be supportive of they guys wearing the jersey that you love and show some support instead! ;)

22. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

exactly…someone understands.

all the posts here are saying its good that Breeze will be out and Obryne inserted!!!…but CARB will simply move Striet to forward, eject Ryder and insert OBryne back on D!…BREEZE STAYS!!!!!!!!

what a bloody joke…
    ———
    1. BREEZE MUST NOT SEE THE ICE AGAIN
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your’re not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

23. Ed says:

Does this mean that if O’Byrne plays, then Streit goes up front, and Ryder sits? Remember he sat 3 games in a row after he was in the lineup for a 4-1 win over the Islanders. Also, after the loss last night, maybe Dandenault will be put back in. Who knows? I doubt if even Carbonneau knows yet.

24. Shiloh says:

Three more goals AND he can skate AND he can pass AND he can shoot AND he checks AND he hits. I wouldn’t give you AK46 for 100 Latendresses.

25. WestHab says:

(I can’t get far enough)

26. WestHab says:

I hated the way Brezzer was treated by fans in the years just before his departure to the avs. When he got the move he said that , I can’t far enough from Montreal. Fair enough statement I thought.
    But then He’s back with the Habs a year after??? I was shocked! So far the fans at the centre Bell have been polite. Better keep him in the press box where it’s safe for all of us.

27. habsgod says:

good i hope we’ve seen the last of brisebois who is just brutal!!welcome back ryan now we just need hammer back hopefully he plays against tampa-bay on tuesday!!

28. mjames says:

I read somewhere last night that Hamrlik was accompanying the team to TB. I assume he is feeling better and is not contagious. I would like to see O’Bryne and Hammer back together . I assume the defense parings could be

Komi Markov
    Hammer O’Byrne
    Cube Gorges

You could move Streit to the 4th line which would really bolster that line while giving it some offense. As to who you would sit out from the 4th line – take your pick .

mjames

29. CaptainKomisarek says:

Pull Breeze-by out of the lineup, put O’byrne in.
    It makes sense because O’byrne was a regular before he got injured against Florida.
    Brisebois really is a liability on D, like Souray. Except Souray’s shot sort of made up for it.

30. Keith says:

Put O’Byrne in and take Breezby OUT, NOW!!!

31. nightmare_49 says:

2nd unit – Cube with Gorges , 3rd unit – Streit with O’Bryne. Breezer to tend to his foot though he wasn’t the problem last night but the game has caught up with him. Hamy only back when he’s not contagious only , unfortunately.

32. PureGuava says:

Latrendesse is a young Piere Dagenais in the making!

33. Jonnyboy says:

It would be amazing if someone found a way to boo carbo.

34. Jonnyboy says:

Well said. Let a few more young guns have a try. Its been working hasn’t it.

35. Y says:

Welcome to HIO Don.

PS: Get some new ties will ya?

36. Chuck says:

Instead of booing Brisebois for being on the ice, would your energy be better focused on why he received so much ice time? It’s not like Brisebois jumps over the boards at will; it’s the coaching staff the decides how often and in what situations he plays in. With Komisarek getting so little ice time in the second half of the game, well… SOMEBODY had to play, right?

The question then becomes why Komisarek played so little, and why the coaching staff felt that Brisebois was the better option. Was Komisarek injured? Was he feeling under the weather? Or was his ice time pulled back for the lacklustre play that he had given the team over the last couple of games, including a lack of willingness to use his size to tie up forwards in front of the net on plays that led directly to goals? If that last one is the case, then maybe it should be Komisarek feeling your wrath, and not Brisebois.

37. Shiloh says:

I think Latendresse was injured for three games and sat for one.

38. Richard says:

Every month on the 15th a new block of tickets goes on sale for the subsequent month.

Any seat in the house is fun, so you’re better off trying to buy straight from the organization instead of a scalper.

Don’t buy any marked up tickets until you try that first.

39. The Teacher says:

Talk about a guy who is happy he signed before the salary cap came into effect!

40. Hoegarden says:

Might as well bring back Lupien !!

41. G-Man says:

lol. I hope they ain’t that desperate! :D

Gilbert

42. Hoegarden says:

G-man
    the latest rumour has Marty Lapointe coming here for a bag of pucks.
    How desperate are the Habs ???

43. G-Man says:

It’s time to trade or waive goodbye to a couple players. More toughness and size with Hamrlik and O’Byrne back in the line up means no more soft D. Not that Gorges, Bouillon and the Breezer didn’t try. They were simply run over the last couple games.
    We all want that gritty power forward, but no team will part with one until the 25th of February. Any team that is way out of it will know by then that they won’t make the playoffs and may be sellers. We’d all like a Marleau, Jokinen or Hossa but BG won’t pull off a trade that takes away future picks.
    It’s up to the young guns in Hamilton. Chipchura has to come back and Smoke, Dandy and Breezer have to sit. Now is not the time to fall backwards; it’s the time to right the ship and sail on.

Gilbert

44. Shiloh says:

I’m glad you find me funny. First, Ryder is not my guy – I agree he may have to go. What drives me is that every time I watch LaTenderness play I just shake my head in wonder that we could have actually moved up to draft a guy with this little talent. I give my head a second shake when I see players like Andrei Kostitsyn benched while LaUseless plays every single game. Either I am missing something or at some point he will drift off to the minors never to be heard from again.

45. ZepFan2 says:

Yesssssssssss!

46. Blitzen says:

After we beat TB and Florida back to back this week, people will be back here pining for the Cup.

Having O’Byrne and the Hammer back and (hopefully) playing Streit at forward instead of one of the other stiffs will help immensely.

I still don’t think Bob will pull off a trade.

47. jrshabs1 says:

Please friend do not defend the breeze, his play speaks volumes and does not need any compliments. The breeze is the most passive docile defenceman that the NHL has ever seen and the 10 mins he got lastnight would be 10 more than he would see on any other team. Odds of the Habs succeeding with the breeze playing everyday – 0
    Bob’s #1 colosal mistake – bringing the brezze back to retire as a Canadien and actually giving him minutes.

48. TradeRyder says:

Hey Timo – any tips on which games you might actually find tickets for? I am new in the area so have only been twice with friends (friends tickets).

Sorry about the Laffs comment! The truth hurts! Painful to watch our guys stumble around like losers. And BTW – as I posted last night, screamed at the TV and heard the announcers say, why the hell didn’t CArbo call a time-out 2-minutes in and 2 goals down. He seems to think the team is like a ball rolling down a hill. You just let it go. Until that is, you need to put Smolinski in to lose a crucial face-off, and Ryder in to get 0 shots on a crucial power play. Ouch!
    Man, ya gotta be a little better after a loss like that!

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

49. Hossa is Coming says:

Sing it! __________________________________________________________________________
    “WE WANT VINCE! WE WANT VINCE!”

50. TradeRyder says:

I didn’t say we don’t have a replacement… I would rather see a rookie call-up mess up than have to watch Breeby and Smokey the Bored. I have NO idea why Chips was sent down – his points, plus-minus, and to everyone’s eye – his play was good. He should be up. I agree there’s politics to it – partly personal politics. I think Carbo may become a really good coach and every coach has players he favours, I just think Carbo has made some really stupid choices – and NOT favoring Chips, and properly supporting Price are just two of several.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

51. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

agreed…its time….in fact more so than before.
    ———
    1. BREEZE MUST NOT SEE THE ICE AGAIN
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your’re not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

52. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

All my comments towards the breeze are strictly about his play on the ice…not who he is off the ice!

in fact i’m sure 99.9% of the comments here are about players actions on the ICE!…its about their performance,
    SO WE CAN COMMENT FREELY ON THAT PERFORMANCE..THEY ARE BEING PAY’D MILLIONS TO ENTERTAIN!!!
    ———
    1. BREEZE MUST NOT SEE THE ICE AGAIN
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your’re not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

53. HKisses says:

100% agreed…..way to many people are putting the blame on Carb’s…… Pisses me off to come on here and see people bashing Carb’s after one and the first big blow out of the season against us…..We will rebound from it …GO HABS GO

54. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

you have to put a percentage of the blame on CARB because you argument is about personnel and Carb controls that (along with BG)

you say we are short on substitutes?

lets see, both KOST’s and Lap and CHIP were not in the plans this year, they were given a chance and they have performed enough to make an impact to be full timers.

so why not take the next step with whose next in line?

your telling me we don’t have a replacement for BREEZE and SMOKE?

answer is we do…..unfortunately we must be dealing with politics…
    ———
    1. BREEZE MUST NOT SEE THE ICE AGAIN
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your’re not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

55. Hossa is Coming says:

Also got tickets to the Habs when they play Atlanta on the trade deadline day. Should be interesting. Will Marian be wearing a new Jersey…IN MONTREAL?

____________________________________________________________
    “WE WANT VINCE! WE WANT VINCE!”

56. TradeRyder says:

These are great questions – I’m sure someone can answer better than me so I will wait to hear.

But I can tell you it’s a good stadium where you can see well from almost any seat…. and that a great way to get a discounted ticket is to pick up a scalper ticket just after the game has started. Just be careful the tickets are real – ask around, most of the scalpers know who’s legit.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

57. Hossa is Coming says:

I have given up on Vincent is Possible, but we need a superstar to compliment Kovalev.
    Maybe Marian can come to the Canadiens and play Kovalev’s game with his own line (kovy’s game meaning pretending that he listens to Carbo and pair up with a couple younger players (who will listen and respect him) and totally ignore Carbos instructions. then when you line producing Gainey tells Carbo to leave the line alone. I’m thinking Hossa, Andrei and ?) What do you think?

___________________________________________________________________________
    “WE WANT VINCE! WE WANT MARIAN!”

58. Chuck says:

As far as I know, everything is sold out, so you won’t be able to walk up the the box office and get a couple of tickets. Day of game your probably looking at having to deal with scalpers.

59. mbplekfan says:

They had to make room for the new guy Trotter.

Im interested to see how NCAA talent shows in the AHL.

He may find the game a lot rougher.

60. Shiloh says:

I am taking my son to the game in Montreal on March 13. Neither of us has ever been to Montreal. I am looking online at tickets and there are lots of choices. Can anyone recommend a section to sit in? Should we be looking at row numbers as well? Can tickets be bought on the day of the game? If so – what should I expect to pay if I go that route?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

61. Shiloh says:

Thanks for posting some sense, Timo. I know I’m regarded as a Latendresse basher, but his lack of skill is not my main point. My main point is that only some seem to have to pay the price of being sent to the press box. As unbelievable as it seems now, AK46 was banished for four games earlier this year. He paid the price. Chipchura paid the price. Ryder is a whipping boy – he pays the price. Higgins and Koivu pay the price. But never LaSlowesse. He is absolutely golden – never a day in the minors. And he looks more and more lost out there every game.

Now I know he gets a few goals – but only if they’re served on a platter for him. He doesn’t check anybody, doesn’t hit anybody and refuses to fight anybody. He is a horrible passer – what has he got – 5 assists? He has no shot to speak of and is undeniably the worst passer on the team.

Everybody says, “He’s young – give him a chance.” Well, Ryder is young, too. Chipchura and some of our other guys in Hamilton are young too. They are all paying the price while Latendresse calmly suits up every game and does absolutely nothing out there but look slow.

62. TradeRyder says:

Hey, I think we’re on the same team – I agree with everything you say!

Plus-minus is only one factor, you have to take other things into account… which is why for example Streit gets a pass but actually I think that Streit is good but the plus-minus is a problem. Defensively he’s very beatable and sort of like Ryder, to be an offensive threat he needs to be so focused on the net that he doesn’t contribute defensively. Still – he’s a real help on the power play which is crucial… unlike Dandy or Ryder or.. a lot of other guys. And you can’t just look at ONE game. No-one can look at A Kost and say he’s not one of our top players – he puts up points, close to a point a game in the last month or so, is strong on the puck, hits, makes plays, can shoot, AND he’s near the top in the plus-minus column. Pretty hard to argue that. His brother is talented but I think if he takes many more hits to the head he’ll never get past being a 4th liner. Still, he works hard, is talented, and gritty, and as a rookie what he’s done is more than fair.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

63. Chuck says:

If anyone cares, in addition to calling up O’Byrne the Habs also assigned Jon Gleed to Cincinnati.

64. Hockey11 says:

Dandy your minus leader is tied with Streit and is one game away from half a dozen others, he also has more points than all the other line four candidates and he switched positions and is out performing some of them. Your D is thin at best OB has never played a playoff game and you have Steit who is a winger? What is the fascination with these fourth liners, in Dandy’s last game he had one shot in 9 mins played. The Kostitsyn brothers were 1 shot COMBINED in 31 minutes. What do you want from these fourth liners? Koivu has what 10 goals? Dandy has 7, all of them at EV strength. Look to the top two lines for all your problems and then look at the D, the last thing we need to look at id the fourth line, BTW Lapierre has been awful and has for all his chirping has he ever fought ANYBODY in this league?

65. TradeRyder says:

PS: Plekanek (your photo) – now THERE’S a hockey player!
    _____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

66. TradeRyder says:

Of course he wasn’t “the” reason, but at the pro level sports are half mental. And what we see the players see too. Soft players are like having a hole in a bucket. 98% of the bucket is still there, but that doesn’t mean you still have a good bucket. Soft players miss opportunities and spread soft play instead of gritty play. We need more grit. Soft should be disallowed.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

67. ColRouléBleu says:

I guess my real question was: was Brisebois the only reason for last night’s miserable game? I’m not a Brisebois fan any more than the next guy or gal. I just dont understand the concept of targeting one player for being responsible for a collective collapse :)

68. Vancouver Hab Fan says:

That is a very accurate recap of Brisebois’ night. Some of it sounds like the game before as well!

69. RudeMood19 says:

They better not trade O’Byrne.

70. obrien says:

I too would trade Huet for:

A proven RW to replace Ryder asap that will stay for a couple of years.
    A solid defensive D (rental)
    Prospect forwards and/or package.

I would only trade him west, except if the offer is impossible to refuse of course.

But what team needs a good goalie? I can only think of colorado…

So I don’t foresee this to happen. Unfortunately we will loose him after he sucks in the playoffs (and his replaced by Price). I hope to be wrong. I like Huet…

71. habitual says:

Many posters seek a saviour for our team, via a trade or free agency this year and last. Soon a revival tent will be pitched, hosannas will fill the air, and Bob Gainey will be asked to kiss babies.

Here is a list off the top of my head of names that the Habs were rumored interested in for the last couple of years, not including Tanguay because I don’t believe there ever was any interest in him for Kovalev:

Gagner: 18 points in 24 games, -7. Just suffered 2nd concussion this season.

Brier: 52 points in 54 games, – 18. Yikes!

Kariya: 47 points in 53 games, -4.

Hossa: 49 points in 55 games, – 14. Still think he is attractive?

Shanahan: 32 points in 51 games. Currently injured.

Gomez: 54 points in 58 games, +3.

Smyth: 28 points in 36 games, -5. Injured for a while now.

Sourey: You know tis one.

Drury: 39 points in 58 games, – 12.

I am sure I have missed some names but for the purpose of discussion, of these 8 players only Gomez is performing at a level justifying big bucks. Even then, do the Habs need another small forward?

Last year GM Gainey was dead set against acquiring a rental player at the trade deadline, and when you look at how, with out exception, unsuccessful teams were last year with that, I doubt he saw anything that will change his approach. So let’s not expect any dramatic trades this year either. The Messiah is not coming.

The Habs are in the top 10 in the entire league, and even if they slide back a bit will make the playoffs. If you were told that they would make the playoffs at the beginning of the season, would you have been satisfied?

Koivu would have. Even the captain didn’t anticipate how well the team is doing this year.

72. jimbo says:

uh Montreal needs a goalie which they wouldn’t have a number 1 if they traded him

73. cournoyer12 says:

No loyalty,eh. Just to be spiteful, lets trade Huet, go ahead, and WISH that Price and Halak hold down the playoff fort. That would be fun for me to watch.

74. gohabzzzz says:

yo peopless…all I’ve been hearing in my ears is ” HALLELLUJA!! HALLELLUJJA!! HALLLEE…” ok well, i think ya go the point. It’s SO awesome O’Byrne’s back !cross your fingers hammer’ll be back. I think we have realised( or already have realised) the importance of no.44 and we know that breezer is not the best defenceman to replace him.
    hopefully, our habs won’t get distracted by the heat and babes
    and we’re supposed to be good on the road
    gohabzzzz

75. mjames says:

Refreshing to hear a “voice of reason”
    mjames

76. nightmare_49 says:

It’s so cournoyish.

77. showey47 says:

off topic but i’m listening to the sabres and panthers on xm radio and jokinen cut zednik in an artery in the neck ala clint malarchuk with his skate and there is a ton of blood on the ice. They are actually using the zamboni to clean up the ice because there is so much blood

78. cournoyer12 says:

Right on, his size and Hammer coming back will make a big difference to our team. Geaux Habs.

79. cournoyer12 says:

Smoot..

80. cournoyer12 says:

10;20 pm.

81. habitual says:

Suspendable act, or accident?

82. showey47 says:

well considering they are the same team i would say accidental but the game is on the radio so i never actual saw it happen. Just what is being said by the commentators.

83. KerryPrice says:

Man that`s brutal. Is he alright?, i imagine it`s to early.

84. showey47 says:

they just announced that he is stable and is on his way to hospital, its still not decided if they are gonna finish the game.

85. obrien says:

You think Huet will be loyal to us? Hey, it could be, I don’t know the guy personally.

Markov said he was going to sign with us and I believed him.

If he would accept a 3 year deal with us, fine. I think he would rather be a sure nb 1 in, let’s say TB.

He is a very good goalie. With great stats. But stats don’t tell everything, and do you really see him as a clutch goalie? The only time he really showed me poise and clutch was after he blew our lead vs Atlanta. The rest of that game and the next couple of game he was hot.

But then again, if Toskala can get hot… Lol. Leafs sucks.

86. habitual says:

Doh! Sorry, somehow JFK Jr was translating on my frequency.

87. cournoyer12 says:

Lets all pray for him a moment…he was one of us once.

88. Smart Dog says:

Must be time to make some big trades. Start with Datsyuk.

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

89. Smart Dog says:

And Colorado is starting to think the theodore has found his game.
    ________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

90. BataviaHabsFan says:

I was watching the game on MSG and it was unbelievable the amount of blood on the ice…I suspect it was a jugular vein that was cut. He looked like he was close to passing out as they got him to the bench, while putting pressure on his cut. The last word I heard was that he was stable in a local hospital. The total silence in the arena with a sell-out crowd was spooky…it lasted for at least 10 minutes.

91. Sulemaan says:

It’s great O’Byrne is back with the big club. Our defense will become feared once we add that potent mix of size and mobility. With Markov, Komnisarek, O’Byrne, Hamrlik and top prospects like McDonough, Fischer, Yemelin and Valentenko (to name a few) we are looking good.

I really don’t recall such a good Habs defense corps or one with such promise since the days of Robinson, Green, Chelios, Ludwig, Svoboda, Lumme and Desjardins.

I would like to see is a solid former defenseman (Larry Robinson or Jacques Lapperiere) on the bench as an assistant coach.

We also need to be patient. Defensemen take a long time to develop so a kid like O’Byrne will make mistakes. We (including myself) cannot start howling when he makes them. That is the only way he will learn and improve.

(On a sidenote, I really hope Zednik is okay. I always liked him. It’s unfortuante that dirty McLaren took him out as he seemed to be a changed player after that elbow. Can’t say I blame him.)

92. cournoyer12 says:

What a “Nightmare of a weekend, eh?

93. cournoyer12 says:

Your contradictions, sure.

94. P St. Pierre says:

I too am excited about the return of Ryan O’Byrne. He brings a physical element to the lineup that the team needed in a game like last night’s. He hits like a truck but he’s also a very good skater. If he is again paired with Hamerlik, I think he’s going to be a force on the blueline. Hopefully, his thumb injury was a flukey thing and injuries won’t be a concern in the future.

95. mrstewart61 says:

On another subject, I was just doing some reading on Ryder and was thinking, since he grew up a Leafs fan, I wonder if it has been his plan all along to do one year contracts so in his UFA year he’ll negotiate with Toronto. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him there next year.

Valentenko is playing well. He was a +4 in three games this week. And Milroy is picking up his game, +14 overall to lead the team.

96. Hoegarden says:

Suleiman,
    I have been calling and hoping for Desjardins to turn up behind the Habs bench since last year. He’s currently doing analyst work with Radio-Canada and his comments are always to the point with tons of common sense.
    I too hope Habs management can hire someone to look after our pack of young D’s. Their progress is in whose hands at the moment ?????

97. habsgod says:

hey suleman congratulations to the new additon to your family!!i don’t know which will cost you more sleepless nights our habs or your daughter hahaha lol!

98. mrstewart61 says:

Valentenko has stepped up his play lately. He was +4 in 3 games this week.

99. Sulemaan says:

Thanks for the kind wishes John. It’s a bit of a toss-up but you know the expression “With a boy you only have to worry about one prick. With a girl you have to worry about them all.” Habs are the least of my concerns. :-)

100. Sulemaan says:

I’d have to assume Carbo, Muller and Jarvis. They were all excellent defensive forwards so that’s okay but Desjardins wouldn’t be a bad guy to have on the bench.

My preference would be Robinson first but he’s pretty comfy in the Devils organization. I’d even go for a former Bruin who wore #77.

101. WindsorHab-10 says:

Off topic but best wishes and a speedy recovery to Richard Zednik after getting his neck sliced accidentally by Ollie Jokinen’s skate. Surgery was performed and he’s in stable condition.

102. SUMO says:

In Bob we trust.

I also like what Ryan O’Byrne brings to our team and really hope he can develop into another Komisarus (Remember he still has only 11 games of NHL experience). However his and Hamrlik’s absence really demonstrate our lack of quality depth on Defense.

I pulled this data off nhldb.com Some of the prospects we have coming thru the pipeline and will hopefully be standing in front of Carey Price for the coming seasons. My only concern is David Fischer who some are starting to call a 1st round bust. Also not sure about Emelin and his commitment to come to North America.

Pavel Valentenko – 21yrs olds, 6’2″, 202lbs, Shoots: Left

Mike Komisarek – 26yrs old
    Roman Hamrlik – 34yrs old
    Francis Bouillon – 33yrs old
    Ryan O’Byrne – 23yrs old
    Mark Streit – 31yrs old

103. SUMO says:

Forgot Josh Gorges, 24yrs old.

My bad.

104. Shiloh says:

Sulemaan – I have four daughters. They also say:

A son is a son till he takes a wife
    A duaghter’s your daughter the rest of your life

105. Robert L says:

I’m not sure if anyone has caught this grim scene yet. It’s not for the weak at heart.

Former Hab Richard Zednick had his throat sliced by Ollie Jokinen’s skate in a game against Buffalo tonight. Much in the same manner as Clint Malarchuk over two decades ago, Zednik was rushed to the bench and by all accounts his life may have been saved.

I’ll be scanning You Tube to see if a video had been posted yet. As soon as I have it, it will be added to this post.

Former Hab Zednik Suffers Life Threatening Injury

106. planet habs says:

i watched the Buffalo-Florida game in which Zednik got cut. it was very serious because the skate cut his carotid artery, which means someone could blled to death. It was deathly quiet in Buffalo for 15 minutes afterward, until announced on the PA that he was in stable condition on the way to the hospital, then the crowd gave a standing ovation. fluke accident.

107. nightmare_49 says:

Thanks Robert L.

108. Sulemaan says:

I like that one Don. I like it a lot.

109. Chuck says:

Thanks, but I already own a clock.

110. nightmare_49 says:

WELL DONE.

111. showey47 says:

your forgot the breezer, lmao. Thats ok i’m sure we would all like to forget him also

112. Chuck says:

Man, seeing that just leaves a pit in your stomach. Here’s to hoping for a full and speedy recovery for Richard.

113. Robert L says:

May be he back netting hat tricks against the Leafs soon, but more importantly may his health not suffer from this incident.

Prayers, and the big picture, folks!

114. CHsam says:

Whatever it is, just kiss sleeping till 9am goodbye. But more sincerely, congratulations =)

115. Sulemaan says:

Amen. (Thanks Sam.)

116. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

ZEDNIK was a GREAT player for the Habs.
    were all with you ZED…get well soon.
    ———
    1. BREEZE MUST NOT SEE THE ICE AGAIN
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your’re not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

117. cournoyer12 says:

Ditto, his wife was chartered to Buffalo tonight, and he is stable.

118. CHsam says:

Probably puts a hold on his career…

119. showey47 says:

yup, time to clean house in detroit

120. showey47 says:

there will be doubts if he ever plays again. I remember watching this happen to clint malarchuk with the sabres a long time ago and he was never the same afterwards.

121. habs12345 says:

also dandeneault can be added to that list techniqully

very interesting post i knew they have alot of defensive prospects but never really put them on a list like that to truly realize the hoard of defensive talent maby bob should thinking of cashing in on some of that talent

122. showey47 says:

true, because there is no way all of these guys can crack the roster.

123. Xtrahabsfan says:

Zednick is resilient,this will slow him down for a little while then watch out.

124. wild flower says:

Bulldogs article about Marlies games and lack of scoring

Also, David Fisher (UofM Gophers) scored his second goal of the year in a losing effort to Brock Trotter’s old team:

125. Bouleau noir says:

Nice D wrap-around sumo and yes lets not forget Gorges, his progression has been significant and who knows what his limits will be,… he could well be around for the long haul.

Whats not to like about our current D roster,.. once O’Byrne is NHL broken and settles in….. man our 6 men unit will be a class act… an awsome mixture of finesse and thoughness… a near ideal squad with enought renewable parts in the minors to keep it that way for years to come…. a conforting thought.

We also seem to be on the verge of being set goaltending wise but I am less confortable when thinking about the situation we are in forwards wise,… I cant quite see how and when this ensemble will have all the pieces needed to make it a force to be reckoned with on its own…. I think Gainey will have no other choices but to out-do himself here for that to eventually happen… and hopefully sooner rather than later.

126. Da Hema says:

You are right on the mark Timo. I thought he would become the kind of power forward the Habs needed since they traded away Leclair. Zednik was overpowering the Bruins until McLaren concussed him. I always thought someone from the Habs in return should have two-handed McLaren and shattered his wrist. That would have been justice. I wish Zednik the very best in his recovery.
    _________________________________________
    “It’s not a lie if you believe it.”
    –George Costanza, “Seinfeld”

127. showey47 says:

Did we drop the ball with Aaron Downey? He just took down George Perros in a fight

128. The Teacher says:

Yeah we dropped a 100 pound ball. What is the basis behind your comment?

Why would it be better to have Downey than what we have? Because he won a fight?

The guy can barely skate!

129. The Teacher says:

Haha, no problem.

My point was really that YES, we all know we need someone who wil stick up for our team, but a guy just for that? What’s the point?

Everyone says we need a Chris Neil type of player, well DUUUUUHHHHH, but how many Chris Neil type of players ARE there, and where do we expect to get them from?

Who will we have to give up to get a player of that ilk? Will giving up that player improve our team enough to justify the trade?

There are many questions to consider, not just as easy as saying, “GET US A GOON” “Get us a Neil type of player”

don’t you think?

130. showey47 says:

Well the basis of my comment is that everyone is wanting a guy who can fight and occasionally win. Aaron did not just win a fight, he won a fight against a true heavy weight. I understand why aaron was let go, he can’t play a regular shift on the 4th line without being a liability. Carbo likes to roll 4 lines and aaron can’t do it, but if we want someone who can play the roll of enforcer carbo is gonna have to change his coaching style.

After 2 periods downey has 5 mins of ice time and probably won’t see third period ice time unless things get ugly. Thats his role, i’m not saying i want him back what i am saying is that carbo should of handled him differently.

131. HotHabs says:

Hello O’Byrne = buh-bye Brisbois!!!!!!!!

enjoying the high’s of being a Habs fan

132. Smart Dog says:

Facts = good! LOL

What has happened over the season is a lot more important than what happened one game. Huet had a bad game. Luongo has them, Brodeur has them, and yes, unfortunately Price has them too.

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

133. showey47 says:

My feelings exactly, can’t wait to see hamrlik and obyrne back on the ice to give us a second shutdown pairing.

134. The Teacher says:

I agree, season long is more important than just one game. However, has Huet been able to play a full season? Ever? Has he won a playoff series? Ever?

For a team that wants a Cup, do you not think these are valid facts to consider as well?

This year is his chance. If he doesn’t prove he can, there is no reason to not let him go. As an insightful poster once said, the salary cap world is different, letting a player go can also be a benefit in that it clears up cap room, especially if you are unsure of your guy’s abilities to handle the long stretch..

135. The Teacher says:

The Key there

“Carbo likes to roll 4 lines and aaron can’t do it, but if we want someone who can play the roll of enforcer carbo is gonna have to change his coaching style”

I think BG and Carbo know their styles and don’t care if “we” think we need an enforcer. They will do what THEY believe is right. I see no benefit to having a guy like Downey on the 4th line if he can’t play. Did George Parros play many games in the playoffs last year?

136. showey47 says:

Hey teach, do you think we should trade huet and give the ball to a price/halak duo? Considering we can probably get a pretty good roster player or prospects/draftpicks.

137. Smart Dog says:

You’re right. It’s an unkonwn. But we do know that when he’s on he’s pretty darn hard to beat. Carbo (to the degree he influences this) doesn’t seem to be able to keep him “on” that well but his stats are darned good.

On the other hand – if we had played Halak and he looked good that would’ve opened up some options. Now Price is a bigger question mark than Huet, and Halak bigger still don’t you think? We pretty much need Huet if we have a run – and even then.. like you say who knows. I can’t say I think Carbs has done a great job handling the goal-tenders. Old news this – but his calling out Price especially I think did not show much savvy for a very young player that was brought up a little prematurely to be grooomed carefully. Not every player should be treated the same.

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

138. The Teacher says:

I think this situation is a lot like Souray of last year. BG is in a damned if I do/damned if I don’t position.

The fact that they did not give Halak a start seems to indicate that they are moving in a direction of keeping him for the remainder of the year.

Do I think Huet has talent, yes I do. Do I have doubts of his ability to lead us to the promised land and beyond? Yes I do. I am only glad that BG has control of the reigns.

Do I think throwing Price into the fire this early is risky. Yes I do, but so was the throwing of Cam Ward into the fire not so long ago and Patrick Roy a bit further down the line.

We have to balance out our future cap needs with our present situation.

So in a nutshell, who would we be trading Huet to? Certainly can’t trade him to another contending team in the Eastern conference as that sort of defeats the objective.

Western conference? The only teams that possibly need a goalie for the stretch run are Colorado (unlikely with Theo at 6 million) and Nashville.

139. showey47 says:

True, but you will never see our star players get run from behind and physically manhandled knowing there will be some repercussions. I for one am sick of seeing guys like sergei having to fight and having our players recieve cheap shots. Have you noticed the big drop on the cheap shots on crosby since laraque was brought in. He may not play much but just having him on the bench is enough of a deterent. I for one would rather have “team toughness” than one enforcer but our system just doesn’t have those kind of players.

140. The Teacher says:

Well here we can pick on Carbo. I hate the cheap shotting with no retaliation either.

His philosophy (Carbo’s) as I see it is to turn the other cheek and take advantage of the PP which for the most part is a smart move.

As for Laraque, he is more than just a goon. I would take him on my fourth line any day as he can play a regular shift there.

141. The Teacher says:

I agree, he’s very convenient, but this is the last I’ll say ;) I suggest you take the same advice.

142. Infanteer says:

Now kids, play nice. The sandbox is big enough for both of you.

143. showey47 says:

I’m just thinking that with huet being a ufa and will probably be wanting a 3 year deal minimum from anywhere between 12 to 14 million. But i really think we don’t need huet for 3 years and thats alot of money to invest in someone who can easily turn into a back up and hence an expensive contract that we would be unlikely to dump. I say cash in on huet and let halak and price battle it out. Price has already proven he can play in high pressure situations (calder cup,wjc).

As for trading partners, LA kings could be a partner, tampa or like u said nashville. I for one would at least test the trade market for him.

144. Shiloh says:

He’s a better skater than Latendresse.

145. The Teacher says:

LA is rebuilding, they will not want Huet IMO. They have a Price-alike coming next year in Bernier.

Tampa needs to clear salary, how will they clear it for Huet and why would they give anything for a pending UFA?

Nashville seems to be our only bet.

146. Infanteer says:

No, the situation is not like the Souray debacle last year.

At the trade deadline last year, the Habs were likely not going to make the playoffs. Trading Souray therefore made complete sense. Not doing so, I believe, has been Gainey’s biggest blunder during his tenure. (There have not been too many to choose from.)

This year, the Habs likely will make the playoffs. (Knock on you know what). Trading your starting goalie before a playoff run seems ludicrous, no matter who you have as a backup.

147. showey47 says:

i guess therrien thinks different, george played 5:51 today with 10 shifts against the flyers, but i get your point. I would love to have him and i think he can contribute more than just a serious physical pounding.

148. The Teacher says:

Thank you for your insightful contribution. We already know that your opinion is that every player in the NHL AHL ECHL and Junior leagues in Canada, Finland, Russia and Australia skate better than Latendresse.

149. Hockey11 says:

How can Halak battle it out when we call him up we don’t let him play, he deserves better treatment, he was great when called upon last year.

150. Hockey11 says:

Begin is a wonky skater and Chippers style looks very inefficient too.

151. HKisses says:

Im really looking forward to seeing Hammer and Obby on shutdown line

152. Shobud says:

Teach.. Are you saying we have guys that can play on the forth line now I would rather have Downey.. At least people knew that if they started something he would be out their next shift

153. The Teacher says:

Who’s team has a fourth line that is better than ours?
    As far as I know, any other team that has their fourth line match up against Spezza, Heatley and Alfredsson would have suffered the same fate.

154. HABZ 24 says:

ive heard the real stat when breeze -easily- by plays, we have a losing record. discard that useless peice of drift wood once and for all.keep up o’byrne if he can stay outa the bars and from behind bars.

155. showey47 says:

Well, for one i agreed that we should of traded souray but the fans and media would of been crying that bob is throwing in the towel on the season. It was a no win situation no matter what. Coincidentally it was halak who got us to where we could of made the playoffs only to have huet have it taken away from us, plus the guy we should of traded was a -3 that game. There is only 26 games left in the season, between halak and price we can still easily lock up a playoff spot. Huet only has 6 career playoff games, Price carried an average hamilton team to the calder cup. Trading huet is not like trading brodeur, luongo, kipper, nabokov. Huet may be a starter, but a true number 1 is still very debatable.

Don’t get me wrong i like huet, he is a good goalie. But for one i don’t think we should invest another 3 or 4 years into him and also don’t want to have him walk away for nothing ala souray. Perhaps another no win situation

156. mjames says:

Will you please give the Koivu, Higgins, etc. basing a rest. It is tedious to say the least. After months of your monotonous rant we know how you feel.

mjames

157. The Teacher says:

Please keep ignoring me.

158. Bouleau noir says:

The variety of the goods (size, grit, speed+talent) that was brought about by O’Byrne, Lapierre and Sergei’s insertion into our Club at mid-term made us a better team at once and stopped the rather serious funk we were in preceding it,… and despite O’Byrne’s early lost to injury the CH kept on moving forward well away from the troubled time during that period.

Those additions improved the scoring depth of our team and jumped started Andre Kostsitsyn’s play to another level…. which gaved us a highly performing offensive line ever since.

In a nutshell, this improved roster had ameliorated our scoring capacity when 5 on 5 and had enabled our team to play even more of a game that was based on speed and offensive pressure than it had been the case up to that point,… better team profile made us more efficient and more constant in our efforts while we maintained the team’s highly disciplined and PP prowess level that was already established in the early season.

The fun thing about watching this team is that they have managed to do well
    without having all the right cards to do well and this is all I can expect them to do to survive the season.

Whats on the banch and behind are doing well….. this is clear,… Gainey might one day deliver all the cards needed to be a contender but it hasn’t happen yet… and it might never happen…. until that hapenned I dont see the point of being overly critical…. althought I am conscerned about Gainey’hability to acheive it sooner rather than later.

159. cournoyer12 says:

For all Habs fans that question Huets worth, thats fine, as Gainey and Habs management will decide on that, and not any of us…thank goodness. Since we are on the topic of who will stay, and who will eventually go, may I remind fans about the constant criticisms of this being a one line team, and Ottawa showed us what a real first line looks like. Now top that off with the 8.5 million dollars we are paying Koivu, Higgins and Ryder combined for a grand total of 34 goals TOTAL,are we getting our moneys worth from them?

160. N.B.habs fan says:

Nice post..have to agree with you mjames.

161. Puck Bard says:

The Habs go on the skids for two games and everyone turns on each other.

Settle down.

162. showey47 says:

yep, lose 2 consecutive regulation games for only the second time all year and its time to fire the coach and the entire team sucks. Detroit just lost three in a row, 2 of them to the kings and laffs.

163. KerryPrice says:

If Huet won`t sign for 2 years , trade him. Not like he has any real playoff success. 3 goals , 3 shots like Guy says,haha. Not just based on yesterdays steller performance. Hate losing players via UFA, for diddly squat.

164. RiverviewCanadien says:

I agree some posters do say one thing and mean another. But oh well, don’t let them get to you. I am still chanting Huet! Huet! Huet!

165. linp says:

It is obvious that our team, players and coaches included, still has a lot to learn. We were going into a hostile environment where the home team lost the previous game to us. The coaching staff should get the team better prepared and slowed down the opponent in the first ten minutes. Instead, our team appeared to be shocked and in disarray. The 4th line was so bad and allowed Ottawa’s top line free skating and shooting.
    We’ll face similar situation during the playoff. I hope that our coaching staff and the players can learn from the last game and don’t give the game away in the first 5 minutes.
    The power play also gets me worry. They were not effective in the last two games. Our opponents have done their home work to stop us. In the past, we establish the position and shoot from the line and then go for the rebound. It doesn’t work anymore. We need to skate and create traffic and play faster.
    Al least Koivu’s line has shown some life. With Hamrlik back, our defense should be more focus. Now is not the time to panic.

166. RiverviewCanadien says:

Yes Huet played bad, very bad in my books. He is a better goalie and I have seen some pretty BRILLIANT stops by him the past month or so, but THEY ALL have a bad one some nights don’t they?

As far as the koivu, higgy, ryder situation, I hope it gets resolved….soon. Hey, if Price can go down as well as Chips, and Grabs, and O’Byrne, I think the said mentioned should have had a stint down there just a while ago…I mean sitting players for 3 consecutive games, bring up some young talent to do the same in the box and maybe get a shot one night. Our #! line – AK27, TP14, AK46 – could not get it together, but after the run they have had, somebody else needed to step up their game and show them they are not doing it ALL BY THEMSELVES, I also think the coaching had something to do with it as well.

Bitter losses after being so close, now….just get back on the winning track HABS…

GO! HABS! GO!

167. Corio says:

Excellent decision Carbo, WB Ryan!

168. Chuck says:

I’m not saying that we was benched… but there has to be a reason why he saw so little ice time in the second half of the game. He was caught standing around watching his man (Spezza) when he scored his third goal in an almost exact replay of Kyle Wellwood’s goal in the Toronto game. That doesn’t sound like he learned from his mistake. Komi is only our most powerful defenseman if he plays like it; and if he hits a rough spot, he also has to know that he faces the same reprocussions for poor play as the rest of team the does.

169. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

and the breezes two errors for 2 goals results in NO BENCHING.

and breeze started a commotion that ends up wth kostyjr taking punches and where is breeze?
    on his knees like a scared cat…that alone I would bench him.
    ———
    1. BREEZE MUST NOT SEE THE ICE AGAIN
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your’re not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

170. Chuck says:

Why would you bench what is essentially a spare part who’s just there to eat up ice time as needed? That won’t get the point across to Komisarek. Benching Komisarek will get the point across to Komisarek. It’s far more important to the defence, and the team as a whole, to have Komisarek’s head on straight, not Brisebois. The issue is what’s best for Komisarek’s development.

171. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

so you bench our most powerful defenseman like he is in PEEWEE.

thats bad coaching, really bad…KOMI has a brain he knows if he made a mistake and he’ll be coming back the next shift with a vengence to make up for it, but Carb benches him and puts his pet in.

what a joke
    ———
    1. BREEZE MUST NOT SEE THE ICE AGAIN
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your’re not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

172. Shiloh says:

Either learn to read or shut the ^%%$% up. Try to make it through 3rd grade before you even think about commenting on anything I post.

173. Shiloh says:

I have more than enough balls to say anything to you. I’m 58 years old, but I won’t have somebody implying that my dislike of a player is racially (or culturally) motivated. Latendresse is a lousy player in my eyes – end of story.

I should have accepted your apology – I reacted far too quickly and now it is I who should apologize to you for that.

174. Scotty90 says:

Just heard a little something about his being an honourary something or other for the Armed Forces.

175. Smart Dog says:

Hey – maybe Harper could send him to Afghanistan!

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

176. sidhu says:

hahaha! Wonder what Brisebois will give away then, military secrets? Weapons?

177. Shiloh says:

If you’re implying that I’m anti-francophone you are waaaaaay off base. I have a very senior position where I am frequently required to address stakeholders en francais. I love the richness that the francophone culture provides to our nation’s fabric.

I honestly felt that because one of the jouers from the 1948 Olympic gold medal hockey team honoured last night was francophone, perhaps Brisebois was asked to be a part of the ceremony. After all, it was in the nation’s capital.

Do I think la presse francophone would react negatively if Lats was sent down? Absolument – sans doute. But that should not be licence for you to toss a veiled charge of racism my way.

178. ZepFan2 says:

According to Pat Hickey in todays gazette, Hamrlik met up with the team at the Ottawa airport.

179. MikeMcLaren says:

“This could be an indication that Roman Hamrlik’s illness could keep him out of the lineup longer than expected.”

…OR it could be an indication that Patrice Brisebois sucks and Guy Carbonneau has finally come to the revealation that he wants to keep HIM out of the lineup longer than expected.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

180. Chuck says:

If he wanted to keep Brisebois out of the lineup, he wouldn’t have given him more ice time than Komisarek last night.

181. Hoegarden says:

Wow, out of the loop for a couple of days and it’s fire at will on all sides.
    Lets’ rewind the tape to September when the majority of bloggers here agreed on two goals for the Habs this year.
    1. Make the playoffs (obvious).
    2. Youth movement (a great success in my opinion).

Habs fans need to relax and realize that so far we have been blessed with no major injuries, except the obvious hole left by Hamrlik in the last three games.

So the goal is still to make the playoffs and my hope is being realistic in hoping for a top 4 spot so we have ice advantage.

The Koivu line has to sort out it’s problems and they have to stay together until the end of the year. No more experimenting please. Have them tied down to a chair and watch their top 20 or 30 or whatever goals from last year, over and over, until they figured between themselved what they need to do to get scoring again.

And yes, Smokes is as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle. He needs to hit someone and I wish someone would do the same to him to see what he’s made of. What a wuss he is.

Breezer; I suggested last fall that he goes behind the bench. He’s no longer with it.

I could go on but it’s all been said in the many posts below.

We need the pacifier we’ve all been waiting for.
    You don’t see Neil yapping at the Penguins bench do you ?
    Lapierre needs to wake up and drop the gloves(all bark no bite).

All games are important but Tuesday’s will really show what this team is made of.

Go Habs

182. mrstewart61 says:

Good post.
    I’d like to finish 6th so we play the Southeast champs in the first round. :)

183. Ian G Cobb says:

Naila- Just hope you got back home last night in that dirty weather O.K.

IAN

184. Shobud says:

Hi Ian Hope you enjoyed the game LOL.. Do you see anyone on the bulldogs or in the ahl that impresses you as been a tough guy that can still play hockey.. I don’t get to see many ahl games so I have to go by what I hear.. We do need someone to help protect our young guys

185. cournoyer12 says:

Look at Boones Capital Punishment article from yesterday at 10;20pm, this is the post that KJ denies he said. WOW.

186. Chuck says:

Let’s hope that he’s not contageous!

187. Smart Dog says:

Hello Habsters and Habettes!

Reading these posts I am curious about a few things.

1. Does ANYONE disagree that Brisebois should not be playing?
    2. Does ANYONE disagree that Smolinski should not be playing?
    3. Does ANYONE disagree that the team needs more grit – and that at least a trade for this (not giving any strong prospects) would be a good idea?

Just curious! I’d love to hear if you agree or disagree!

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

188. Hoegarden says:

1. NO
    2. NO
    3. NO

189. mrstewart61 says:

1. O’Byrne rather than Brisebois
    2. Chipchura rather than Smolinski
    3. Chris Gratton

190. Barts says:

ENJOY THE PRESSBOX PATRICE!! Better yet, why not retire?

191. A. Berke says:

To all the posters who have been repeatedly asking for a trade to get a certain player (Getzlaf, Lecavalier, Hossa, Ovechkin, mr.X, etc.) and to other posters who are not only bashing but also using insulting and derogatory adjectives for Carbo and Gainey:

I’m re-posting my thoughts on the subject making a trade.

However before doing so, let me add that the postings that I referred to above are, more often, from the “usual suspects” who like to repeat the same inane lines over and over in each and every thread. You know what? This is not only immature but also offensive to the intelligence of the other folks here. You’ll do yourselves and the rest of us a good deed by tuning down. One post of your opinions is more than enough (besides trying to read 500 or so posts whereas most of them fit this inane category is too much, pushes the patience and the goodwill of everybody else.

Now, here is again my previous post about the possibilities of a trade: (yes I’m repeating myself this time but not a dozen or so times)

+++

ALL the folks out there asking to trade away this or that or want Gainey get a centre/winger etc.:

The race to the playoffs is so close (blame 3 point games) in both conferences that there is NOT a single team out there who is willing to trade right now. Because, technically all 30 teams have a chance to get in (no one will screw with whatever team chemistry they have right now). If the GM’s can be amenable to a trade, then they would want your best forward+ D men+ your first born son and daughter + your 1st and 2nd round picks.

Sooo, don’t expect any trades right now (maybe after Feb 20). What we got now is what we go to the dance with (hopefully we’ll make it there).
    +++

Furthermore both Gainey and Carbo have to work with what they have on hand, I for one get very offended as a longtime Habs fan, when some people call them (constantly) “idiots” or such.

Considering that they brought the team to the current status against all adversities and limitations and pundits giving us no better than 13th place, it seems that the ones calling them names deserves those names much more than Gainey & Carbo. You people may dislike anyone but that doesn’t give you the right to insult them publicly.

Unfortunately we are not as deep as we led ourselves to believe in. To further compound the problem, Koivu, Higgins, Ryder line has been a big disappointment almost the whole season leaving only one GOOD scoring line. When the opposing teams (caps, rangers, leafs and sens of late) having figured this out, were able to shut our offence down and win big.

Our defence is missing the injured players and furthermore, there’s no point bashing Smolinski, Brisebois or Dandenault etc., because these players were acquired with the intention of complimenting the core team. Now for one reason or another (injuries?) they have been asked to replace the core, which may be a rather daunting task on occasion for some of them.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and free to post their thoughts. However, let’s keep things civilized please.

Cheers,

Ali B.

PS: I apologize for the long post.

192. mrstewart61 says:

Thank you, Ali.

193. Smart Dog says:

The point is a good one, but a little bit lost – even if it is ONLY the second time to repeat the post – especially at such length. As long as people are intelligent about it and adding new information (even if the views are old) I think it’s all good….

Though I have admit I AM tired of hearing “we need Vinny” or who-ever. That’s just kid stuff, and boring, nothing to learn or laugh about. Those posts don’t really get commented on anymore Thank Dog. :)

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

194. habsgod says:

has anyone else heard this rumor?i heard when o’byrne was healhty again and recalled ,him and ryder would be traded to calgary for tanguay!!somehow i don’t believe this because tanguay said we wouldn’t waive his n.t.c to come to montreal but you never know what bob has up his sleeve?

195. otter649 says:

Does anyone know why Brisebois took the cermonial faceoff instead
    of Koivu yesterday ?

196. Shiloh says:

I wondered if it was because one of the two honourees was a francophone.

197. Yeats says:

No, no and no!!!

198. teamplayer says:

drafted by tampa bay 3rd overall in 93. went to phily traded back to tampa after a full year, traded to buffalo, traded to phoenix (him and a fourth for BRIERE AND A 3RD, poor gretzky), traded to colorado, signed as ufa to florida then traded once again to tampa bay for a 2nd rounder.
    6 different teams but played for tampa 3 seperate occasions, so id say yes to eight.

career 1/2 a point per game player but -143! alot of years of around -20 but alot of those teams were bad.

199. The Teacher says:

We know who thinks Carbo is an idiot, We know who thinks the team should be traded for the Borneo Griffons.

I’d prefer to read logical stuff that assesses the state of the team without hearing that Carbo should be coaching a pre-novice team and that Brisebois should be dropped off the face of a cliff.

200. A. Berke says:

Smart Dog

FYI, I put the repeated post between the +++’s. The rest was my today’s addition. I didn’t mean to bore anyone but I couldn’t find a way to say all more succinctly.

I guess in my old age I became a bit long winded! ;-)

Cheers,

Ali B.

201. Smart Dog says:

Or at least say something new. I’m not one to keep my yap shut, but I try to keep it interesting. And excessive trash-talk is just that, trash.

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

202. Da Hema says:

I realise it is off-topic, but I see Emery was involved in another “incident” yesterday. I was talking to a friend, and the subject of Emery arose. My friend suggested that Emery’s unpredictable behavior and aggression could be caused by steroid use. That certainly seems plausible. Does anyone know whether the NHL even tests players for drugs?
    _________________________________________
    “It’s not a lie if you believe it.”
    –George Costanza, “Seinfeld”

203. Smart Dog says:

I disagree with the poster below. I think stats like this are REAL content,a nd interesting to discuss. People may not like your conclusion (though I think it’s a good point) but that’s the way humans are. They disagree.

Was it you who posted the win-loss with and without Smol/Breeze? That was scary cool.

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

A small little detail but Washington beat the Rangers today which had the Senators leap frog Carolina for the SE seed and keeps us 9 points ahead of the final playoff spot. That’s good news the way I see it. In a perfect world Florida would defeat Buffalo tonight. Every small angle helps at this point in time.

The Original 24 Cups

205. otter649 says:

Washington wins today and goes from 11th to 3rd place in the conference….

206. Scotty90 says:

Can’t we do something to get Riley Cote from the Flyers or DJ KIng from St-Louis? I would like Laraque, Booguard, McGrattan or maybe even Brashear but I don’t think they would be available.

Hey Captain – I missed that mistake totally. I will attribute it to the lingering state of shock from last night!

The Original 24 Cups

Otter – I figure it benefits our chances of making the playoffs by having the SE teams battle back and forth to win the division. Today Washington went to 59 points which has no bearing on us. Carolina falls back out of the playoffs and is 9 points behind us. The Rangers picked up a point which puts them 4 back of us but we have 3 games in hand so that’s more beneficial. I know it all sounds a bit anal but the final playoff spots have come down to just a few points the past few years. It’s kind of like your RSP – every little bit helps in the end. It’s advantageous for us to have these teams play a tug of war in terms of trying to see who makes up ground during the last 25 games of the season.

The Original 24 Cups

209. Smart Dog says:

A truly foolish system.
    ________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

210. HKisses says:

Thank god…..i was hoping this would be done b4 florida trip

211. showey47 says:

sweet, and with the hopeful return of hamrlik to the lineup we can finally put breezer in the box for the rest of the season.

212. Infamous says:

yes my sentiments exactly .. o’byrne in brisebois out

213. Habby67 says:

My sentiments exactly. It’s time to revamp the D. Put Breezer in the pressbox.

214. nick says:

“O’Byrne will join the Canadiens on Sunday in Tampa Bay.”

I thought it was Tuesday?

215. MikeMcLaren says:

I’m sure the team is flying there today. Think about it, Montreal in February or Tampa Bay in February? The choice is a simple one!

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

216. N.B.habs fan says:

About time…I have allways loved Carbo and never questioned his coaching,but when Brezzer plays like he did last night and Carbo puts him back in the line up,I have to Question that move.
    Showey47,It allways a pleasure to read your comments .
    Infanteer, keep the faith and being fron Gander is allways good,love that province (great people)

217. Chuck says:

To tell you the truth, I thought that Komisarek looked like the weak link last night, not Brisebois. Komi’s third period ice time beard that out, too: only six shifts for a total of 4 minutes. Methinks that carbo was not to happy with his play.

218. Cdnman1 says:

I doubt that it is a reflection of Hamrlik’s health and more likely the end of Breezer after that performance last night.

I hope finally we’ve seen the end of Breezer! I was a big supporter of Breezer for most of his years but it is very clear he has outlasted his usefulness.

Number 25 in 2009

219. nick says:

Ahhh yes… Wasn’t thinking of it that way – was thinking game day.

I’m sure Price and K2 are happy to have him tag along and help pay for the rookie dinner hehe.

220. Ed says:

You are on to something. Price was called up several days ago, and now O’Byrne. Without them, it would only be K2. Maybe he requested it. I heard PJ Stock talking about his rookie dinner, and it was not cheap. He actually had to get a loan from one of the veterans, as his visa limit was not high enough at the time.

221. Chuck says:

How can a stat be “selfish”?