O’Byrne’s stay in Hamilton a short one

The Canadiens have recalled defenceman Ryan O’Byrne from the Hamilton Bulldogs after he played only two games since being sent down on Feb. 7.

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey reports that  head coach Guy Carbonneau was not happy with his defencemen after Saturday’s game. It’s unclear who might sit, but Patrice Brisebois played less than 10 minutes against the Senators.

Here is the team’s official release on O’Byrne’s recall:

The Montreal Canadiens announced today that defensemen Ryan O’Byrne has been recalled from the Hamilton Bulldogs of the American Hockey League.

The 23-year-old rookie played 11 games with the Canadiens this season, scoring two points (2 assists) while delivering 20 hits and blocking 18 shots. He was assigned to Hamilton on February 7 after missing 16 games due to a hand injury suffered on December 28 in Florida. With Hamilton, O’Byrne registered eight points in 20 games (2 goals, 6 assists), a plus-3 and 49 penalty minutes.

O’Byrne will join the Canadiens on Sunday in Tampa Bay.

1. Chuck says:

It’s not too difficult… start a “Carbo Sucks” chant every time Brisebois steps on the ice.

Or… you could go the other route and be supportive of they guys wearing the jersey that you love and show some support instead! 😉

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

2. Shiloh says:

Three more goals AND he can skate AND he can pass AND he can shoot AND he checks AND he hits. I wouldn’t give you AK46 for 100 Latendresses.

3. PureGuava says:

Latrendesse is a young Piere Dagenais in the making!

4. Jonnyboy says:

It would be amazing if someone found a way to boo carbo.

5. Jonnyboy says:

Well said. Let a few more young guns have a try. Its been working hasn’t it.

6. Y says:

Welcome to HIO Don.

PS: Get some new ties will ya?

7. Chuck says:

Instead of booing Brisebois for being on the ice, would your energy be better focused on why he received so much ice time? It’s not like Brisebois jumps over the boards at will; it’s the coaching staff the decides how often and in what situations he plays in. With Komisarek getting so little ice time in the second half of the game, well… SOMEBODY had to play, right?

The question then becomes why Komisarek played so little, and why the coaching staff felt that Brisebois was the better option. Was Komisarek injured? Was he feeling under the weather? Or was his ice time pulled back for the lacklustre play that he had given the team over the last couple of games, including a lack of willingness to use his size to tie up forwards in front of the net on plays that led directly to goals? If that last one is the case, then maybe it should be Komisarek feeling your wrath, and not Brisebois.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

8. Shiloh says:

I think Latendresse was injured for three games and sat for one.

9. Richard says:

Every month on the 15th a new block of tickets goes on sale for the subsequent month.

Any seat in the house is fun, so you’re better off trying to buy straight from the organization instead of a scalper.

Don’t buy any marked up tickets until you try that first.

10. The Teacher says:

Talk about a guy who is happy he signed before the salary cap came into effect!

11. Hoegarden says:

Might as well bring back Lupien !!

12. G-Man says:

lol. I hope they ain’t that desperate! 😀

Gilbert

13. Hoegarden says:

G-man
    the latest rumour has Marty Lapointe coming here for a bag of pucks.
    How desperate are the Habs ???

14. G-Man says:

It’s time to trade or waive goodbye to a couple players. More toughness and size with Hamrlik and O’Byrne back in the line up means no more soft D. Not that Gorges, Bouillon and the Breezer didn’t try. They were simply run over the last couple games.
    We all want that gritty power forward, but no team will part with one until the 25th of February. Any team that is way out of it will know by then that they won’t make the playoffs and may be sellers. We’d all like a Marleau, Jokinen or Hossa but BG won’t pull off a trade that takes away future picks.
    It’s up to the young guns in Hamilton. Chipchura has to come back and Smoke, Dandy and Breezer have to sit. Now is not the time to fall backwards; it’s the time to right the ship and sail on.

Gilbert

15. Shiloh says:

I’m glad you find me funny. First, Ryder is not my guy – I agree he may have to go. What drives me is that every time I watch LaTenderness play I just shake my head in wonder that we could have actually moved up to draft a guy with this little talent. I give my head a second shake when I see players like Andrei Kostitsyn benched while LaUseless plays every single game. Either I am missing something or at some point he will drift off to the minors never to be heard from again.

16. ZepFan2 says:

Yesssssssssss!

17. Blitzen says:

After we beat TB and Florida back to back this week, people will be back here pining for the Cup.

Having O’Byrne and the Hammer back and (hopefully) playing Streit at forward instead of one of the other stiffs will help immensely.

I still don’t think Bob will pull off a trade.

18. jrshabs1 says:

Please friend do not defend the breeze, his play speaks volumes and does not need any compliments. The breeze is the most passive docile defenceman that the NHL has ever seen and the 10 mins he got lastnight would be 10 more than he would see on any other team. Odds of the Habs succeeding with the breeze playing everyday – 0
    Bob’s #1 colosal mistake – bringing the brezze back to retire as a Canadien and actually giving him minutes.

19. TradeRyder says:

Hey Timo – any tips on which games you might actually find tickets for? I am new in the area so have only been twice with friends (friends tickets).

Sorry about the Laffs comment! The truth hurts! Painful to watch our guys stumble around like losers. And BTW – as I posted last night, screamed at the TV and heard the announcers say, why the hell didn’t CArbo call a time-out 2-minutes in and 2 goals down. He seems to think the team is like a ball rolling down a hill. You just let it go. Until that is, you need to put Smolinski in to lose a crucial face-off, and Ryder in to get 0 shots on a crucial power play. Ouch!
    Man, ya gotta be a little better after a loss like that!

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

20. Hossa is Coming says:

Sing it! __________________________________________________________________________
    “WE WANT VINCE! WE WANT VINCE!”

21. TradeRyder says:

I didn’t say we don’t have a replacement… I would rather see a rookie call-up mess up than have to watch Breeby and Smokey the Bored. I have NO idea why Chips was sent down – his points, plus-minus, and to everyone’s eye – his play was good. He should be up. I agree there’s politics to it – partly personal politics. I think Carbo may become a really good coach and every coach has players he favours, I just think Carbo has made some really stupid choices – and NOT favoring Chips, and properly supporting Price are just two of several.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

22. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

agreed…its time….in fact more so than before.
    ———
    1. BREEZE MUST NOT SEE THE ICE AGAIN
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your’re not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

23. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

All my comments towards the breeze are strictly about his play on the ice…not who he is off the ice!

in fact i’m sure 99.9% of the comments here are about players actions on the ICE!…its about their performance,
    SO WE CAN COMMENT FREELY ON THAT PERFORMANCE..THEY ARE BEING PAY’D MILLIONS TO ENTERTAIN!!!
    ———
    1. BREEZE MUST NOT SEE THE ICE AGAIN
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your’re not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

24. HKisses says:

100% agreed…..way to many people are putting the blame on Carb’s…… Pisses me off to come on here and see people bashing Carb’s after one and the first big blow out of the season against us…..We will rebound from it …GO HABS GO

25. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

you have to put a percentage of the blame on CARB because you argument is about personnel and Carb controls that (along with BG)

you say we are short on substitutes?

lets see, both KOST’s and Lap and CHIP were not in the plans this year, they were given a chance and they have performed enough to make an impact to be full timers.

so why not take the next step with whose next in line?

your telling me we don’t have a replacement for BREEZE and SMOKE?

answer is we do…..unfortunately we must be dealing with politics…
    ———
    1. BREEZE MUST NOT SEE THE ICE AGAIN
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your’re not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

26. Hossa is Coming says:

Also got tickets to the Habs when they play Atlanta on the trade deadline day. Should be interesting. Will Marian be wearing a new Jersey…IN MONTREAL?

____________________________________________________________
    “WE WANT VINCE! WE WANT VINCE!”

27. TradeRyder says:

These are great questions – I’m sure someone can answer better than me so I will wait to hear.

But I can tell you it’s a good stadium where you can see well from almost any seat…. and that a great way to get a discounted ticket is to pick up a scalper ticket just after the game has started. Just be careful the tickets are real – ask around, most of the scalpers know who’s legit.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

28. Hossa is Coming says:

I have given up on Vincent is Possible, but we need a superstar to compliment Kovalev.
    Maybe Marian can come to the Canadiens and play Kovalev’s game with his own line (kovy’s game meaning pretending that he listens to Carbo and pair up with a couple younger players (who will listen and respect him) and totally ignore Carbos instructions. then when you line producing Gainey tells Carbo to leave the line alone. I’m thinking Hossa, Andrei and ?) What do you think?

___________________________________________________________________________
    “WE WANT VINCE! WE WANT MARIAN!”

29. Chuck says:

As far as I know, everything is sold out, so you won’t be able to walk up the the box office and get a couple of tickets. Day of game your probably looking at having to deal with scalpers.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

30. mbplekfan says:

They had to make room for the new guy Trotter.

Im interested to see how NCAA talent shows in the AHL.

He may find the game a lot rougher.

31. Shiloh says:

I am taking my son to the game in Montreal on March 13. Neither of us has ever been to Montreal. I am looking online at tickets and there are lots of choices. Can anyone recommend a section to sit in? Should we be looking at row numbers as well? Can tickets be bought on the day of the game? If so – what should I expect to pay if I go that route?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

32. Shiloh says:

Thanks for posting some sense, Timo. I know I’m regarded as a Latendresse basher, but his lack of skill is not my main point. My main point is that only some seem to have to pay the price of being sent to the press box. As unbelievable as it seems now, AK46 was banished for four games earlier this year. He paid the price. Chipchura paid the price. Ryder is a whipping boy – he pays the price. Higgins and Koivu pay the price. But never LaSlowesse. He is absolutely golden – never a day in the minors. And he looks more and more lost out there every game.

Now I know he gets a few goals – but only if they’re served on a platter for him. He doesn’t check anybody, doesn’t hit anybody and refuses to fight anybody. He is a horrible passer – what has he got – 5 assists? He has no shot to speak of and is undeniably the worst passer on the team.

Everybody says, “He’s young – give him a chance.” Well, Ryder is young, too. Chipchura and some of our other guys in Hamilton are young too. They are all paying the price while Latendresse calmly suits up every game and does absolutely nothing out there but look slow.

33. TradeRyder says:

Hey, I think we’re on the same team – I agree with everything you say!

Plus-minus is only one factor, you have to take other things into account… which is why for example Streit gets a pass but actually I think that Streit is good but the plus-minus is a problem. Defensively he’s very beatable and sort of like Ryder, to be an offensive threat he needs to be so focused on the net that he doesn’t contribute defensively. Still – he’s a real help on the power play which is crucial… unlike Dandy or Ryder or.. a lot of other guys. And you can’t just look at ONE game. No-one can look at A Kost and say he’s not one of our top players – he puts up points, close to a point a game in the last month or so, is strong on the puck, hits, makes plays, can shoot, AND he’s near the top in the plus-minus column. Pretty hard to argue that. His brother is talented but I think if he takes many more hits to the head he’ll never get past being a 4th liner. Still, he works hard, is talented, and gritty, and as a rookie what he’s done is more than fair.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

34. Chuck says:

If anyone cares, in addition to calling up O’Byrne the Habs also assigned Jon Gleed to Cincinnati.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

35. Hockey11 says:

Dandy your minus leader is tied with Streit and is one game away from half a dozen others, he also has more points than all the other line four candidates and he switched positions and is out performing some of them. Your D is thin at best OB has never played a playoff game and you have Steit who is a winger? What is the fascination with these fourth liners, in Dandy’s last game he had one shot in 9 mins played. The Kostitsyn brothers were 1 shot COMBINED in 31 minutes. What do you want from these fourth liners? Koivu has what 10 goals? Dandy has 7, all of them at EV strength. Look to the top two lines for all your problems and then look at the D, the last thing we need to look at id the fourth line, BTW Lapierre has been awful and has for all his chirping has he ever fought ANYBODY in this league?

36. TradeRyder says:

PS: Plekanek (your photo) – now THERE’S a hockey player!
    _____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

37. TradeRyder says:

Of course he wasn’t “the” reason, but at the pro level sports are half mental. And what we see the players see too. Soft players are like having a hole in a bucket. 98% of the bucket is still there, but that doesn’t mean you still have a good bucket. Soft players miss opportunities and spread soft play instead of gritty play. We need more grit. Soft should be disallowed.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

38. ColRouléBleu says:

I guess my real question was: was Brisebois the only reason for last night’s miserable game? I’m not a Brisebois fan any more than the next guy or gal. I just dont understand the concept of targeting one player for being responsible for a collective collapse 🙂

39. Vancouver Hab Fan says:

That is a very accurate recap of Brisebois’ night. Some of it sounds like the game before as well!

40. RudeMood19 says:

They better not trade O’Byrne.

41. TradeRyder says:

hope you’re not including me. I hate alll this “midseason meltdown” stuff. It was one game. We’ll come back – but it does point out some flaws. You have to have rose coloured glasses not to see that. It’s just as bad to be a Pollyanna as to catastrophize.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

42. TradeRyder says:

Here’s your answer about Brisebois:

He took two stupid penalties that led to two goals. They should give -1 for every goal that happens when you’re in the box but they don’t. On top of that he cowered in the corner during the fight, missed a COUPLE of pucks during the power play at the blue line and made bad passes half the night. You need more????

Jeez I hate it when people defend Brisebois. He seems like a nice guy but there’s a reason Colorado didn’t want to keep him and EVERYONE knows he just plain sucks.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

43. TradeRyder says:

I am used to agreeing with most of you malcontents but today I disagree about Carbo. Coaches aren’t born, they’re made. I think Carbo is still learning how to control himself, and has been doing better, and does not have the team he needs. Yes, he seems to be stuck in a rut with certain players but I think it’s also true the team doesn’t have the depth we think it does.

For me – Gainey has to wake up to the team’s problems. He needs to realize that having a player like Sergei Kostitsyn fight Redden shows that the team is missing a piece or two (and also that the coach does not have the right people – the Cube excluded – stepping up at the right times). And players like Smolinski and Brisebois, who everyone knows are sucking, are not depth they are baggage. Those two are not just coaching problems they are obvious GM problems too – Dandenault (our minus leader) and Latron (who shows up every third game) are more coaching issues. Koivu too is a GM and Coaching issue. The fans know something is up, the team is obviously not doing enough about it.

60% of our team is solid almost every game; 30% is 50-50; the other 10% should be dumped, benched, retired or traded. And I’m not even talking about Ryder here who I put in the 50-50 camp… lately has been more of the good 50 for him. But why Breezer and Smokey the bearly-there-ski are playing is WAY beyond reason. Would Scotty Bowman be playing Smolinski and Brisebois at all let alone in clutch situations? When that happens – we are not like the Laffs – we ARE the Laffs! Other teams should be sending gifts to Carbo for some of his choices.

I have a specific question abouut last night’s game too. I didn’t see the super stats but think I heard we were outhit in the last two periods. What do you do when you are 3 goals down and the other team has superstars flying all around the ice? You hit – and hit – and hit!!!!! Komi is GREAT but he should have flattened someone. He had opportunities. How come it’s the Kostitsyn brothers only who seem to have that killer instinct? We need it – Gainey needs to go get it. I promise you he WILL make a trade for this but let’s hope it’s not for some minor-league, glass-jawed lumberjack on skates.

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

44. Ed says:

I can tell from all of your posts that you are a real Ryder lover. But you should not be so blatant about it. Try to curtail your enthusiasm.

45. ColRouléBleu says:

Question for the Brisebois bashers: how come he was +/- 0 last night and Komisarek/Bouillon were both -3 ? It is clear the Brisebois should only have a limited role on the team but where does all that hate come from?

I’m glad that OB was called back, we will hopefully see a ‘normal’ D-squad again this week: Markie/Komisarek – Hammer/O’Byrne and Bouillon/Gorges.

Note for Carbo: when will you understand that Markov and Komisarek are joined at the hip and that separating them is a surgery that has 0% odds of succeeding…

46. stephen says:

Yes, but what do you think of Carbo?

47. Hockey11 says:

Amen Brother, the team has no respect for his indecision and knee jerk reactions not to mention his highly emotional bench antics and referee smirking. One would think the French press are running this team. Maybe they are?

48. planet habs says:

the habs mid season meltdown has begun. want to know why: Carbo is unable AGAIN to motivate his players, and too many european players, (too lazy and no grit). When Gainey was coach, we didn’t have all these NO SHOW games, and less euros. Has to do with respect. The players don’t respect Carbo, and NO COMMUNICATION between Carbo and the players. Carbo is the wrong coach for this team.If the habs fail to make the playoffs, heads will definitely roll.But I still say that when Carbo goes, along with Koivu, then, and only then will this team’s psyche improve. This team has gotten stale with Koivu, no jump, bad attitude, no energy, lack of determination. It’s time for a new regiem to begin.

49. Xtrahabsfan says:

Ya ,he scored in bunches last nite,lol! Oh ya,it was out of his hands,lol

50. Xtrahabsfan says:

Isaw the Marlies/Bulldogs game,make Biron a forward.

51. showey47 says:

for sure, great size, will drop the gloves but skates at the speed of smell. Career minor leaguer who will help prospects like valentenko, carle etc.

52. nightmare_49 says:

Biron’s just getting back from injury and is slower than Latenderness and the Breezer.

53. mrstewart61 says:

I like it. I’d like to see the following forward lines with that D:

K-P-K
    Higgins – Koivu – Ryder
    Lats – Lapierre – SK74
    Streit – Chips – Tom/Begin/Dandy

54. mrstewart61 says:

I would love Chipchura over Smolinski.

55. Xtrahabsfan says:

Call up Biron as well,get some more size and protection !!!!

56. Xtrahabsfan says:

Did you see Huet yesterday,he was a joke!And then they throw Price into the fire cold with no D,LOL.tRADE HUET and play price/Halak!

57. N.B.habs fan says:

Keep Ryder in ,he will come around…I didnt see to many goals by anyone else last night. Leave this line alone and give them time to work it out or untill they make a trade.

58. Samantha says:

Ryder shouldn’t sit. i think he’s been playing better than Higgins this year. Carbo is scapegoating the wrong guy. But Koivu was awesome last night in my opinion.

59. Vancouver Hab Fan says:

I am also hoping Brisebois is done with the team, he has been playing worse and worse over the past few games and that’s descencing from average/mediocre play.

Now if the team would aslo recall Chipchura and cut Smolinkski (who is actually playing worse than Brisebois) then that would be a big step forward in my opinion.

I have not really been a Locke fan because I have seen him play numerous games in Hamilton and he did nothing to impress me but since his one game with the Habs he has been putting up points at a better pace than at any point in his AHL career. Maybe they should recall him and try him as a winger, see if he can give a line some offensive punch.

What is going on with Higgins? I thought he would break out this year, and I still like him but he’s got to start putting up some points.

Go Habs!

60. Samantha says:

I’m happy that O’byrne is back, but the person I want to see called up is Halak. Price is not ready and to me, Halak is the goalie of the future. All around, Halak is a better goaltender. He can’t rely on his size so he has to use technique, the opposite is true for Price. I just don’t see anything great about him. Halak gets called up for a couple of weeks, plays 0 games, Price plays the second game he’s there. If I were Halak, I would leave. But I honestly think everyone will regret focusing on Price because I’m telling you, Halak is better and he will kill us in a few years.

61. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

exactly…someone understands.

all the posts here are saying its good that Breeze will be out and Obryne inserted!!!…but CARB will simply move Striet to forward, eject Ryder and insert OBryne back on D!…BREEZE STAYS!!!!!!!!

what a bloody joke…
    ———
    1. BREEZE MUST NOT SEE THE ICE AGAIN
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your’re not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

62. Ed says:

Does this mean that if O’Byrne plays, then Streit goes up front, and Ryder sits? Remember he sat 3 games in a row after he was in the lineup for a 4-1 win over the Islanders. Also, after the loss last night, maybe Dandenault will be put back in. Who knows? I doubt if even Carbonneau knows yet.

63. WestHab says:

(I can’t get far enough)

64. WestHab says:

I hated the way Brezzer was treated by fans in the years just before his departure to the avs. When he got the move he said that , I can’t far enough from Montreal. Fair enough statement I thought.
    But then He’s back with the Habs a year after??? I was shocked! So far the fans at the centre Bell have been polite. Better keep him in the press box where it’s safe for all of us.

65. habsgod says:

good i hope we’ve seen the last of brisebois who is just brutal!!welcome back ryan now we just need hammer back hopefully he plays against tampa-bay on tuesday!!

66. mjames says:

I read somewhere last night that Hamrlik was accompanying the team to TB. I assume he is feeling better and is not contagious. I would like to see O’Bryne and Hammer back together . I assume the defense parings could be

Komi Markov
    Hammer O’Byrne
    Cube Gorges

You could move Streit to the 4th line which would really bolster that line while giving it some offense. As to who you would sit out from the 4th line – take your pick .

mjames

67. CaptainKomisarek says:

Pull Breeze-by out of the lineup, put O’byrne in.
    It makes sense because O’byrne was a regular before he got injured against Florida.
    Brisebois really is a liability on D, like Souray. Except Souray’s shot sort of made up for it.

68. Keith says:

Put O’Byrne in and take Breezby OUT, NOW!!!

69. nightmare_49 says:

2nd unit – Cube with Gorges , 3rd unit – Streit with O’Bryne. Breezer to tend to his foot though he wasn’t the problem last night but the game has caught up with him. Hamy only back when he’s not contagious only , unfortunately.