O’Byrne suffers broken thumb in fight

Ryan O’Byrne
Costly fight in Florida

Canadiens rookie defenceman Ryan O’Byrne broke his right thumb in a fight against Tanner Glass late in the third period of Friday night’s 5-1 victory over the Florida Panthers.

O’Byrne has returned to Montreal. Mark Streit will move to defence for the road trip-ending Sunday night game against the Rangers in New York.

Kyle Chipchura, a healthy scratch for the two games in Florida, will centre the Canadiens’ fourth line with Mathieu Dandenault and Tom Kostopoulos.

Cristobal Huet will make his third consecutive start in goal for the Canadiens.

1. showey47 says:

not saying he would be a good coach, he would just hurt us less as a coach then he would as a player. By coaching i mean opening the bench doors and handing out towels.

2. Ed says:

Can anyone explain how there is no instigator on that last fight. The Florida player came a long ways just to fight O’Byrne. It was preplanned.

3. linp says:

It was quite a game. The Pat’s defense looked weak in the first half. No pass rush on Manning. The offensive line was weak also. Brady was rushing the flow until the 4th quarter. The two 15 yards penalties resulted in 2 touch downs. That is not Patriot like football. Still they have enough to pull out a victory. Kudos to them.
    What makes Patriot great is not only they have good players, their coaches know how to adjust the game plan. They were down by 12 points and Brady was being rushed. They put their Tie-end to help out the O-line in the 4th quarter. Once Brady had more time, they scored 22 straight points. It shows that coaches are vital to a team’s success.

4. Chuck says:

Laffs lose to yet another back-up goaltender. What a shame.

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

5. The Teacher says:

And the Patriots have just run the exact same play to break every single modern day individual QB and WR records. Wow, what a team. to run the same play twice and connect. Wow.

Can we transfer it to the Habs someway?

6. WindsorHab-10 says:

I breathed twice. I hope it’s ok.

7. WindsorHab-10 says:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

8. WindsorHab-10 says:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

9. WindsorHab-10 says:

Another reason why this team needs an enforcer. Can’t afford to lose the likes of O’Byrne for any games.

10. WindsorHab-10 says:

You forgot Greg Millen, my brother-in-law & TSN.

11. WindsorHab-10 says:

I knew the Leafs stunk but I didn’t know they really stunk.

12. CHsam says:

Ovechkin = Senator killer

13. Alirio says:

Here! Here!

I mean, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

COUGH COUGH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I’ve made a huge mistake…

14. Les-Habitants says:

lol, i was about to post the exact same thing

15. sidhu says:

Best Leafs Game Ever

16. Forlando says:

Darn, broken thumb could easily mean 3 weeks out maybe up to 6….any doctors in the room? I don’t like this.

17. idle says:

Timo, I feel the same way about your posts as you do about Brisbois :)

18. Smart Dog says:

I’ve heard this before. What would make Brisebois a good coach? I’m curious.

________________________________________________________________
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

19. AdamG says:

rough break. o’byrne has looked much better these past two games. and wow: third straight game habs get a team coming off a game the night before.

20. vic says:

He has to learn to throw the punches straighter

21. sidhu says:

Props to OB for standing up for himself — I’m sure he gained a lot of points in the dressing room (and with the broader Habs community) by taking on the two Florida dolts. Here are the fights:

22. Higgins21 says:

Hear, hear

23. sidhu says:

Carbo may not be on crack afterall, he’s assembled four lines that skate hard and work well together, and he did the sensible thing in placing Streit on D and putting Chipper back in the lineup.

We can breathe a collective sigh of relief — no Brisebois in the lineup.

24. Higgins21 says:

Every time I see Kerry Fraser doing a Habs game, I fear for the worst. Last night at least they won. And I agree with your Toronto comment. Four blind mice.

25. Higgins21 says:

Too bad about O’Byrne. He has impressed me so far.

Isn’t it different not to have a Habs’ game on Sat. night? See that the Loafs are dressing Belak to address Avery and Orr. Could be interesting. Hope they beat each other up and leave the Rangers worn out for tomorrow night.

26. CHsam says:

Maybe he should give Aaron Downey a call to talk shop about issues concerning the art of hockey fighting lol

27. ColRouléBleu says:

Yes, Carbo confirmed it on rds

28. linp says:

Everything has a silver lining. O’Byrne is big and strong enough to be a policeman. Now that he has some time off, he should study how to fight on the ice. At least how to protect yourself and avoid getting injury. He could become more valuable to the team.

29. RH says:

May sound kind of callous but, I wonder if the trainers are going to try and see if O’Byrne can have at least some maneuverability with a broken thumb? He may not have much of a shot but, if he can clear guys from in front of the net, pass the puck with accuracy and basically do everything a defenseman does, except for the hard shots from the point, it might be worth considering.

The injuries to O’Byrne and Smolinski mean that we don’t have to make a decision on a roster spot for at least another month. And that’s assuming Brisebois is back and ready to go by then. It’s quite possible (and probable) that we will have one player on the injury list at any given time for the rest of the year. If so, then we don’t have to adjust the roster and Brisebois can finish out the year as a substitute 7th defenseman and insurance for the playoffs. As I stated earlier in the day, for now it makes sense to go with Streit on defense (playing with Hamrlik).

The Original 24 Cups

31. Chuck says:

Merely a flesh wound. Tape it up and walk it off.

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

32. showey47 says:

i know breezer isn’t a top 4 d but carbo uses him like one, i just feel breezer would help us more behind the bench as an assistant coach then he does on the ice.

33. WindsorHab-10 says:

Not the news we were looking for. Hopefully he will not miss too much time.

34. Ian G Cobb says:

Brisebois will be alright, he was never a #1,2,3 or even 4th D. He is a liabilaty at times, but nobody works harder at his game than him. Cut him some slack. He can play a lot better than some in this league!

35. Smart Dog says:

Thanks Paul. Carbo said he’s going to go with the hot hand… I guess unless he thinks Price has sat too long. But the way Huet is playing – you’d think he’d leave him there. The guy was a wall last night. Fantastic to see him back in full form!

________________________________________________________________
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

36. Keith says:

I don’t know. All I know is he fought three times and in my view that makes him a very valuable commodity on a small team like the Habs. In short he is a warrior.

37. Ian G Cobb says:

Hi Paul, Yep, good time. Holiday here every day now that i have retired. Drive school bus just to get back to childhood and up in the morning.

So far so good with the Jr,s, – 1 zip

Talk at you later

38. Hoegarden says:

Not to worry Showey, last I read, his shoulder is still bothering him enough to be out for another two/three weeks.

39. JF says:

I would expect to see Huet again on Sunday. Carbo said the other day that he would go with the winning goaltender. Why replace Huet when he is playing so well?

40. showey47 says:

Please no brisebois, i will guess streit goes back to defence and chipper back in the lineup

41. cautiousoptimist says:

Does that mean he broke his thumb in his first 3rd period fight, and then not only stayed in the game but fought again!? Whatta guy. Reminds me of when Ryan Smyth took a puck to the teeth, lost two of them, scooped them up off the ice, missed two shifts, and then came back to score the game-winning goal in an Edmonton playoff game a few years back.

42. paul b says:

carb.will raise the banner (: (soon)

Hi Ian .did you have a good holiday ,we are getting alot of snow here I was out most of the day with the snowblower.I really enjoyed the 2 games this week makes a big difference on here to read these comments ,have to go and watch the junior games .

43. paul b says:

carb.will raise the banner (: (soon)

44. paul b says:

Smart dog, nice to see you back…O’Byrne is tough and I expect him back sooner than most.who do you guys think play net on sunday?

45. Keith says:

I wonder if he broke his thumb when he pulled that guy’s helmut off in the first fight he had. Very unfortunate, he was starting to really get more comfortable out there after a few hiccups on defense but I just love his physical play, excellent hip check last night. I think the guy has tremendous upside. GO HABS GO!!!

And GO CANADA GO!!!

46. Ian G Cobb says:

Not to worry Boy’s & Girls, he won’t be out to long, and besides the Mtl. Canadians have depth in the organisation for the first time in many years! Thanks Mr. Gainey

47. RH says:

I just don’t know what it is. I’ve always found the Patriots a boring franchise. Other than Brady, I couldn’t tell you who else is on that team. Whenever someone would start talking Patriots, I’d just tune out……………….uh………..what was I talking about now? Oh yeah! The undefeated NHL team was actually a tongue-in-cheek comment but, I guess, humour isn’t for everyone. Hey, since I’ve obviously drawn your ire, allow me to give you some fodder for your insulting pleasure. I’ve been a Bears fan, for the last twenty odd years, through thick, but mostly, thin. So there you go. Have at ‘er.

48. Smart Dog says:

Way to go Gorges! How long has it been since a Hab broke a thumb against someone’s face. Too long! Almost brings a tear to my eye…. Come to think of it, that means Dandy or Streit or – ulp! – Breeze-bye will be on D. Okay, now I AM crying!

________________________________________________________________
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

49. Shawn S says:

Damn. Even when we win in Florida we lose. At least Chips can find his way out of the pressbox.

50. RH says:

No surprises. Congrats to the boring Patriots. I’ll really be impressed when a team goes undefeated in the NHL though.

51. Higgins21 says:

Here’s hoping that the entire Tronna contingent has a very bad night and a very bad 2008. In no particular order:-
    Mats Sundin