O’Byrne says he’s in tonight

Ryan O’Byrne told colleagues this morning that he’s back in tonight’s lineup for the Canadiens. Head coach Jacques Martin said that he’d announce his roster after tonight’s warmup.

O’Byrne’s return would give the Habs seven defencemen. Benoit Pouliot is back in, by all indications. Mathieu Darche should be out; he had a brief one-on-one at centre ice with Martin during the skate. Sergei Kostitsyn’s comeback ends at one game.

Jeff Carter skated with the Flyers but didn’t seem ready to go just yet, wincing on at least one drill.

1. Drive_For_25 says:

Who cares??  Full Russian squad against all the Canadian rookies.  And the game would have been a lot closer if Canada had a good goalie, at least 2 of those goals were just brutal.  Hope the Ruski’s feel good about winning a tourney no one cares about.  I hope Germany takes them out in the semi’s.

2. SeriousFan09 says:

Bryzgalov was the superior goaltender this year though contrasting the two netminders I feel, I didn’t find Nabokov to be that solid before the Canada-Russia match and while the whole Russian team was outplayed, I think Bryzgalov could have kept the score down a bit. Nabokov has the weight of 240 games in the past 3 years on his back and he’s not exactly getting younger, goalies going into their thirties really don’t take the strain of 70-game seasons well, or even young goalies for that matter.

Last 20 years nobody but Brodeur has won a Cup with a 70-game regular season, it burns them out rather than ‘keeping them sharp’. But the cap era denies the team the ability to sign a good backup without a serious sacrifice on D or O, so their 6-million dollar goalies never get to rest.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

3. Slovak says:

Yeah :-) he is funny :) Is he good coach?

4. Slovak says:

Basically all free Russians’ NHL STARS joined the team – they wanted to come – I don’t understand why canadian Stars did not want to play hockey instead they went for a golf… but the same thing is with slovakian guys, they did not show up, on the other side the peak of this international season was olympic so… I don’t know… but gold medal or any medal from WC means something too…

5. Slovak says:

So now you know one :-), but I was watching this because I am killing time before the main event and you know which one it is…

6. Slovak says:

We are home already, we had there only some no name students, 2 guys from KHL and SATAN from Boston on 1 game, but 2 young talents – Tatar and Panik – they will be great one day. But from this WC Slovakia has canadian coach – Hanlon… he is little strange – seems like he is going to blow with emotions… but seems like a fair guy and great person… so we will se what he will do with our team

semifinals:

CEZECH – SWEDEN

RUSSIA – this one i am not sure who it is, probably Germany… I am not watching it this year – it does not have the quality because this is olympic year… I did watch the game because I am waiting for Montreal game…

All bells must ring tonight COME ON MONTREAL

7. ab-hab-nut says:

I gave up trying to figure out JM, he is in his own world, like I said once, maybe the guys on antichambre are paying him to play MAB, they think MAB is the best thing since sliced bread, french bread at that…:)

8. habsfan321 says:

Now the guy is saying it wasn’t him. He “found the photo” online and “knows who did it”… Lies!!

Pat, you’re being too nice. Set an example, press charges, and make this guy (if proven
    guilty) do jail time and community service.

9. avatar_58 says:

I feel the same way, I don’t know a single soul whos’ following this

10. Slovak says:

Nabokov was great…

11. Kooch7800 says:

hahahaha

12. Kooch7800 says:

hahahaha

13. Slovak says:

RUS 5 – CAN 2 – it is over, Canada going home – Russians into semifinals… Slovakia is home already, but we had there only some young students learning… I am not interested in WC so much this year, but I am brutally interested about Montreal tonight…:-)

14. HFX-HabFan says:

I know you’re from Slovakia.  I’m just saying that this supposed “world championship” is like the NIT of college basketball.  You’re not getting the best talent available by any stretch.  For the Russians to put so much stock into this tournament so that they can win a third straight “championship” when they’ve only managed to make the finals of a few best-on-best tournaments in the last three decades looks a little foolish to me.

Notice that Canada has one guy from their Olympic team and maybe a few others who were invited to our evaluation camp in the summer.  Russia has almost all their top names.  If they didn’t win, it would be an even greater disaster than the Olympics.

How has Slovakia fared by the way?  I briefly saw somewhere that Sweden and the Czechs were through to the next round.  Did the Slovaks make the quarters?  Did they have any NHLers on hand, or were they relying on the likes of Branko Radivojevic?

15. SeriousFan09 says:

Actually, considering his Olympic performance, no Nabokov is a bonus for them.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

16. Slovak says:

they DID  it is 4-1, but Russians far better

17. Slovak says:

But did you noticed I am from Slovakia :-) Actually I did post this one because it was Halak who made up Russian’s all stare team with Ovechking, Malkin, Gonchar, Semin etc… and this Canada team can’t comptete with them at all…

18. TripleX says:

Russia has the Olympic team minus Markov and Nabakov.  I would have been surprised at any other outcome.  I would have liked Canada to score at least one though.

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

19. Danno says:

Habs in 6, pick up stix!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

20. HNS says:

HABS in 7. U better believe it!

21. somerslovesthehabs says:

love this move, agree that MAB on PP has a Bomb, but OB much better for us in our own end, don’t think I could handle watching MAB turn the puck over much longer

Go Habs

22. Center of the Universe Habs Fan says:

When the bring the guy to justice, can they also explain to him that any of the Habs of any consequence are Canadian, and their goal scorers are all French Canadian?

We had no problem going to Pittsburgh for round 2.  No way were we going to Philly for round 3.  There are very few places that I don’t feel safe — Philly is one of them.  Ironically, their fellow Pennsylvanians shared our view when we were talking with some in a bar after game 5.

“Gionta goes into a corner with a guy who’s 6’4″ and comes out with the puck. Who’s the bigger guy?” – Cammy

23. HFX-HabFan says:

Yawn.  Even if Canada were to win, not many people this side of the Atlantic would care.  The only tournaments that actually mean anything are the Olympics and the Under-20 WJCs. Everything else is watered down crap. Best-on-best is where it’s at.

But go ahead Russia, win your third straight “world championship” and pretend that you’re some sort of international “dynasty”. We all know that you crapped the bed when it really mattered. You’re only fooling yourselves.  Silly Russians.

24. Center of the Universe Habs Fan says:

Gill and O’Byrne aren’t goal scorers.  They do a good job of keeping the opposition off the board, but they can’t score.

Let someone like Pouliot (who needs to prove himself) or Moen to hang out in front.  Both CAN score and are big & gritty enough to do some damage.

It’s SOOOO frustrating watching them make Leighton look unbeatable.

25. Slovak says:

How do you like this:

RUS 4: CAN 0

12 minutes remaining in 3rd.