O’Byrne says he’s in tonight

Ryan O’Byrne told colleagues this morning that he’s back in tonight’s lineup for the Canadiens. Head coach Jacques Martin said that he’d announce his roster after tonight’s warmup.

O’Byrne’s return would give the Habs seven defencemen. Benoit Pouliot is back in, by all indications. Mathieu Darche should be out; he had a brief one-on-one at centre ice with Martin during the skate. Sergei Kostitsyn’s comeback ends at one game.

Jeff Carter skated with the Flyers but didn’t seem ready to go just yet, wincing on at least one drill.

1. K-hab25 says:

7 goals, in 4 1/2 periods, doesn’t cut it, he needs to step it up, period.

2. Danno says:

Finally, some justice. Of course this means the momentum has shifted in Montreal’s favour.

Definitivement…

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

3. GoalieT says:

You noticed that too, huh? That little tactic is something they’ve used since game 1 already. Our defenseman would have to stay high with him and then it left 2 forwards busting in on only one of our D-men and, if we were lucky, a forward that had the presence of mind to come back and help out.

While I recognize its not a nice thing to say, I hope Briere loses teeth tonight ala Eric Belanger. Looking at that little turd-burgler makes me mad.

Ultimate Die-Hard Since 1986.

T.

4. GoalieT says:

Now all we need to do now is reveal who the real Michael Leighton is before its too late. That guy isn’t nearly as good as everyone is making him out to be. His rebound control is brutal – like bouncing pucks off a trampoline. We’re going to score the first goal tonight, and then we’ll see how these Flyers cope.

Ultimate Die-Hard Since 1986.

T.

5. Drive_For_25 says:

I agree but I think it’s more the fact that I’d rather have ANYONE in there besides MAB, OB’s size is just a bonus.  It’s not like we’re just getting hammered out there and size is the only issue.  If we could move the puck better size wouldn’t matter because we are way faster than they are, and we really could only use some size up front to match better against their D.  Which is why taking Darche out of the lineup is dumb.

6. Habby2CU says:

All we have left tonight is hope — and that’s more than can be said of 26 other teams.

I love it! Let’s win one at home!!!

7. Drive_For_25 says:

You clearly didn’t watch one game BGL played for us.  He was the worst player on the ice in every game and did none of the things you suggested he would do out there for us.  Just sayin.

8. TripleX says:

FriedmanHNIC

Pat Hickey finds fan who
    vandalized his car — http://bit.ly/9Egmzz

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

9. Drive_For_25 says:

MAB still playing!!

10. Drive_For_25 says:

No Pyatt???  What have you been watching??

11. pmaraw says:

we need our wingers to trail their puck carriers in so they cant just stop on the blue line and wait for reinforcements to get deep.

12. Rage says:

I love the guy to death but come on?? “most skilled guy on the team”?? For god’s sake leave him on defense where he plays well. The last thing we need is yet another defenseman playing forward. As for skill there are at least 6 if not 9 forwards on the team that are FAR better offensively than PK. Defensively? He is easily top 5 if not higher. But have some perspective.

13. Kooch7800 says:

I agree.  the only way we will win is playing our speed and skill game.  They can do it.  Pronger is SLOW.  Dump it in and chase is down.  The third and fourth liner should keep pounding away on the defense of the flyers.

14. Kooch7800 says:

Bang on. I used to love BGL.  Now I have no respect for a player who lives on his past.  I hate to tell you George fighters and grinders have to work hard every game cause they don’t have skill for a regular shift.

ah, don’t get me started on him.  He is not worth it

15. A. Berke says:

Unfortunately, IMHO, lack of skills does not equate to wins (in spite or not).

Ali B.

16. Shublips says:

I don’t understand what JM”s love affair with MAB is all about.  This guy scored one big goal in the Caps series and hasn’t done anything since.

Plus he is minus-11.  Ridiculous.   That plus the insertion then deletion of SK74, and the refusal (until now) to put O’Byrne into the lineup, just make no sense.  I don’t understand what JM is thinking…

Anyone else able to make heads of tails of it?

Habs Addict.com http://www.HabsAddict.com on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Habs-Addict/293450486615 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HabsAddict on Hockeybuzz.com: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=137

17. Malreg says:

You don’t only need some one big, they need hands and a little bid of speed to jump on the loose puck.  I would give Lapierre a chance on the PP.

18. pmaraw says:

the birthday party is over!!!

19. Habs4ever Fan says:

HABS IN 7 in spite of JM’s coaching skills

20. lenny says:

anybody have a link to the “streets of phily” song they have been playing on team 990

21. Habs4ever Fan says:

HABS IN 7 in spite of JM’s coaching skills

22. B says:

I don’t agree with all of your player assessments, but I agree with the first part. Now is not the time to try and radically change their whole game plan and certainly trying to out physical Philly is not a wise approach either. There are always some tweaks to be made,, but they need to play their game, use their speed and stay disciplined. If they can get back to executing on special teams again, they should do fine.

23. Mrhab24 says:

I thought my Wife and I were the only ones who called him POO POO. HAHAHAHAHA

24. tdrmoss84 says:

Go 20! Our time has come to notch our first victory of the series…Go Habs Go!

25. B says:

If all they need is a big guy in the slot on the PP against Philly, they have had Gill all along. Perhaps it is not that simple?

26. TripleX says:

If JM continues with the same PP unit I might go insane.

27. Will Longlade says:

I would park OB in the slot for one or two PP’s to see how that works.

28. avatar_58 says:

Yeah BGL helped last year against that physical Bruins team!

Wait…

29. avatar_58 says:

Lapierre has been clutch in the playoffs, and Pyatt has been very strong defensively. I’m not sure why 2 games would make you write them off. They played well for 2 ROUNDS. That means something.

30. Mr_MacDougall says:

I’ll agree with that. If he made that save and the period unfolded the same way, we’d have felt pretty good about being tied at zero on the road after one.

31. Max_a_million says:

I bet Gionta could take out Carcillo in a saltine eating contest.

32. Mr_MacDougall says:

Hopefully that’s why Pouliot is in tonight.. PP crease presence.

33. Mr_MacDougall says:

HAHAHAHHAHAH That’s great meterial! If we need really big men.. we wont have them until October.

34. Mr_MacDougall says:

I was not a Pyatt supporter, but I think he is a servicable 4rth liner that is a PK specialist. Lapierre, I am not a fan of, but as a 4rth liner I like, Unfortunately I think he has bigger plans, so he is out (nice to have a 4th liner that can score 5-10 per season and one per playoff series however). Darche is sound defensively and may be useful in Hamilton. Sk out of the organization all together. AK should be an attractive player in a trade, young 30 goal scorer.. he needs to go, hopefully get a nice 20 goal grinder in return! Mara, I honestly wasnt watching as intently in the regular season to notice him at all. MAB, oh dear.

I like Gomez a lot, contract is the only issue… if he was getting Koivu money i’d be happy. Hammer is done, one year left, I wish Millburry were still a GM then we may be able to move his 5.5 mill!

35. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

No water, I thought it was going to be easy but I couldn’t get past 4.

36. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Pyatt will be here next year.

37. homerbowen says:

We are not going to beat Philly in the size dept so move on from that. We cannot afford to get into it with them tonight as we are not toughj enough, in fact we have no toughness at all. Let Philly take the penalties and make them pay for it that way. All we need is for Gorges to decide to take on Carcillo, get his ass whipped and possibly injured. Play hard, skate and stay out of the box.

Not in next years plans……Darche, AK, SK, Pyatt, MAB, Mara.

I wish were not in next years plan….Gomez, Hammer, Lapierre

Good luck tonight boys you’re going to need it.

38. adam76 says:

Love it – at least he didn’t sing Celine Dion.

39. Max_a_million says:

I would guess

(A) Under sea oil wells spewing oil throughout the ocean at 100,000 barrels a day

or

(B) High Taxes

40. adam76 says:

and join the green party?

41. ArmyFan says:

He’s sure to retire now, what with his awesome new gig…

42. Max_a_million says:

Doesn’t that seem unbelievable, yet I know that you are right about this.  isn’t it without water too?

43. roblack says:

HABS FOREVER,FOREVER HABS

I agree we need to bury one or two early. If we dont score in the first ten minutes I have a feeling we are doomed. What about playing PK up front? Has he ever played forward? Hes got size,and tons of skill,probaly the most skilled guy on the team. This is where Halak has to show his stuff,and hes got it!

44. habs3161 says:

WE NEED THE BELL CENTRE TO BE ROCKING TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!I WAS THERE IN GAME 6AGAINST PITTS…

WE ARE THE 7th MAN ON THE ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!

45. lenny says:

not to be rude BUT…Are you fu****g nuts….get this through your head….he is useless

46. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

On a side note the World Record for Saltine crackers eaten in a minute is 7.

47. adam76 says:

So now what are you “smart” fans going to complain about now?

48. CHsam says:

Absolutely agree with you. 100%.

We need OB not to knock em around, but to somehow slow them down a bit which could really help us when we transition. And when we do, I agree with what you say about the second player.

Well cheers all, here’s to a good game 3 tonight.

49. Tis Himself says:

The real question is why did Big George go vegan on us?

50. SeriousFan09 says:

Laraque was a pacifist in the CH and doesn’t belong on this team, wouldn’t fight anyone without an invitation and was too slow to be effective against the Flyers, wouldn’t stand up for his teammates and was a joke player. Wouldn’t be shocked if he retired.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

51. shaw says:

Why didn`t we keep Laraque I thinkg that was a biggggggg mistake from BOB Gainey we could have put him up against  pronger ,casillo, hartnell. I mean we really need a big men  that can hit and  do some damage, at least prevent  the flyers from  having teh fast break.

O`bryne can`t be the only one , now that we lost Markvov  it`s gonna  be tough

52. Max_a_million says:

Therein lies the rub.  When the only thing you have to eat in the world is a saltine cracker, it is the best thing to eat in the world (Eddie Murphy).  When you have too much to eat, you get picky and raise your expectations.

53. ArmyFan says:

Game 1 – not a chance.  That loss was a full-out team effort.

Game 2 – maybe.  In my view (and I’m sure there are many who disagree), Halak should have had that first Briere goal.  Arguments for and against for sure, but that was a punch in the nuts regardless.  “Here we go again” thoughts start on both teams, from two obviously different perspectives.  It’s sets a tone, plus allows Philly to sit back a bit, play defensively and wait for opportunities.  Getting behind by a goal, especially when they’re at a premium for your team, forces you to open up a bit, leading to those opportunities that Philly is waiting to pounce on.  On the other hand, if Halak makes the save, and you get the first goal – tides are turned and the game is completely different.

Neither loss was Halak’s fault.  But your own goaltending absolutely has an indirect impact on your ability to score goals yourself.

54. Max_a_million says:

Under

Under

It’s bad luck to say

It’s bad luck to say

55. Max_a_million says:

After thinking about it, I think JM didn’t want to go with size (OB), because we have no ability to match Philly in size anyway so he was trying to play to a strength in quickness and puck moving instead of trying to be Philly lite.

I think playing O’Byrne made sense Game 1 and it still does game 3.  He desrves it, and he will help.

I don’t understand the people who post saying to knock them around?!?  Ummm, we have no chance of knocking them around, in a physical battle we lose.  Somehow we have to develop movement and passing that gets us away from the Left Wing Lock, do some more dumping and chasing with speed, and get the second player up more quickly.

The good news is that as well as Philly has played they should be stagnant in their strategy giving JM a chance to try to overcome a stationary target.

The bad news is 7 game series drain teams a lot, and no one has ever won a series after winning two consecutive 7 game series previously.  Plus Philly is a bad match up for us.

Boy I hope we can come up with a little magic tonight … Cammelleri will be double shifting looking an opportunity.

56. habz says:

DUDE..Chilll..i was just wishing halak a good game tonite. i think we all know they have to work harder to put pucks in the net.

57. wall2bay says:

If we can start by getting just 1 early goal on Leighton, it will be like cracking the dam!  A Tsunami will follow!!

“I kind of feel sorry for players who never got a chance to be a Montreal Canadien” – Cammalleri

58. habsperspective says:

Over Under Obyrne 2.5 Penaltys

Over Under Philly Power Play 2.5 Goals

Over Under Habs Total Goals 2.5 Goals

Habs Win or Lose

Over

Over

Over

Win OT

59. Norcal Habsfan says:

What did it do to the room to have him back in after acting like a selfish a** during the playoffs. Send to the weight room again if thats what it takes.

60. Say Ash says:

And have him come up on the power play – he’d hold the blue line better than MAB.

61. Norcal Habsfan says:

I thought beating Caps and Pens would be enough for me, but it’s not. I think we all want and expect more. Screw the reverse jinx. We’ll solve them tonight. Habs 3-1 (reverse-reverse)

Go HABS Go. Boo the crap out of Briere for me.

62. Chorske says:

LOL, that slacker better start carrying his weight around here.

63. Slovak says:

I know, but look into the past – all free russian stars always did show up – Canada can make up 3 teams to roll over all others anytime – you have much more great players than any other country… Russia is maybe close to you maybe…

Europeans think differently about “World Championship” for us it is maybe more important – that is all and it is understandable, we don’t have NHL, KHL is a piece of crap…

64. habsperspective says:

If only it doesnt light a fire under Poo Poo’s goaless ass!

65. wall2bay says:

Here’s a suggestion…..park Gill or O’Byrne in front of Leighton on the PP.  It just might work!!!

66. Max_a_million says:

Let’s hope.  That move didn’t make a bit of sense.

67. _Habsoloutly_ says:

By A-game do you mean he has to score a goal as well as stop 30-50 shots?

68. Slovak says:

Ovechkin, Malkin, Gonchar, Datsjuk etc. they all called Bykov they want to play, no one had to please them or force them… it is true… I don’t know maybe for Canada and USA WC is just a crap but for all other countries it is chance to represent and give back the country something… even Jagr still plays in there for Czech…

Look at the embarrassment of USA… I don’t want to be like them… struggling to remain in A category…

69. Malreg says:

Because the Russians clearly have some unfinished business.  They were embarrassed in the most important tournament of the last 4 years, a tournament they were supposed to dominate.  They let their entire country down when the world’s spotlight was on them.  It was an insult to all Russians.

They knew they HAD to go, because this is the last chance for them to win at least 1 tournament this year.   They failed at the World Juniors, Olympics, and U18.

Imagine if in soccer they held a “World Championship” 2 months after the world cup, and while all the major leagues are playing their playoffs?  How many players do you think would go?

70. Anal_Surprise says:

Well, I guess that’s the end for Sergei in Montreal.

71. Anal_Surprise says:

Even if he does, why would the outcome be any different with the team having yet to score this series?

72. habz says:

Here’s hoping Halak Brings his A-game Tonite.

73. Slovak says:

I believe Jaro will be next Brodeur like goaltender… he has skills and mental power to achieve it, beside that all Slovakia best NHL players believe in him – All of them commented Jaro as “Finally after all these years we have a great goaltender”. This is the first time in many years they all agreed on our goaltending issue.

Russians are great because from early age they are learned to work hard – I love the old school style – In Slovakia this approach is fading out – hope it will turn on the right track again…

74. Drive_For_25 says:

They did.  The best ones are still playing.  Most of the older guys wouldn’t go playoffs or not, especially the ones on the Olympic squad.  Eric Staal is probably the only top player that should have went and didn’t.  And it’s all up to the players in this tourner, no one is forced to go, unlike the Russian team.  It also just shows that you win in the playoffs with Canadians, not Russians.

75. Slovak says:

I simply think Canada should send the best available players – or tell me why not? Except injuries…

76. ManApart says:

I mean, you talk about holding the Habs in the game, until they score, is a reasonable request. You do know that it is possible that goal will never come. It’s bee 120 mins as it is.

77. Slovak says:

I think being 2 games down by 2 shutouts – not a tragedy – does not mean anything according to series with Pitt – they are capable of turn this around and suddenly they will be “something else” team…

I would love to see them playing 120 mins, I will just call to work and take a sick day because I would be up till 6 in the morning :-)

78. Willy the bum says:

I predict: Habs 4-3 overtime, and a dangerous one.

79. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

well, what do you know….OBRYNE in…POULIOT in…SERG out…MAB exiled.. why did it take till game 3 for this major adjustment…. thanks JM… now we can climb back into this fiasco.

80. Bugs says:

Fell deeds awake: goals and slaughter!

Boards shall be shaken, sticks shall be splintered, a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!

Skate! Skaaate now! Skate to ruin, and the World’s ending!

Death!!!

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

81. pmaraw says:

my 4 year old son just calls them the bad guys lol

82. chilli says:

Put in Chicken Man, MAB out, Darche, Little Tits....it doesn't matter.....all this crap is just rearranging the shirts you don't wear in your closest.  It's all about out top 6, the top 4 D and the goalie tonight.

83. pmaraw says:

habsinsideout1

We’ve got an O’Byrne, no Darche and no SK74 in the #Habs warmup just underway

84. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

wrong, not with this team, it does matter, we are strong on the farm…in fact possibly stronger in most current positions, but as you know contracts have to play out…

just look at Subban against Wash/Pitts,,,instant top 4 on the ice…on paper a #8 or #9 according to your theory, it may apply to teams with standout superstars, but we are too balanced across the 4 lines, so a callup or insert will make a difference.

85. pierre lapuck says:

I’m with Bugs!  They need to be the Flying Frenchmen and air brush these Phugly Phlyers through the boards!

Pierre…happy employee of the department of redundancy department.

86. CHsam says:

Wow JM.

Should have done this in Game 1. Really.

87. ths says:

Cmon OB Take someone’s head off and end to end rush and a goal and a fight

A Larry Robinson hat trick

Rememeber when the greatest Habs team in history was wobbling against the Isles I think and Larry went end to end to end all doubt.

Or maybe Subby gets a desjardinesque  cup saving hat trick tonight.

Im .928 with my predictions

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

88. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I hope O’Byrne scores a goal, kicks someone’s butt and makes life miserable for the flyers in the Habs zone.

89. HabFanSince72 says:

Last time he played against the Flyers O’Byrne got KO’d by Ian Laperriere, and scored no goals.

How he became  the latest missing piece of the puzzle (after the Minsk Magician) is one of the most bizarre things I’ve read on this site.

90. B says:

He is not likely to score a goal. A fight in the playoffs is not likely either. He is likely to throw some big hits. I just hope he can do it with out taking any penalties, he must have a lot of pent up energy having sat out for a while now.

91. mrhabby says:

what took you so long..

92. Dunboyne Mike says:

Apart from poor MAB, having a horrendous series, the D was pretty good in Game 2 (3 goals allowed, but one or arguably two softies).

So while the addition of RO’B is welcome against a team with big players, the critical issue that remains to be solved is goal-scoring. If we get more good D and Jaro returns to form, the game will be closer but we will still lose because we don’t put the puck in the net.

(So simple – I should be coach…)

93. RetroMikey says:

We need more toughness on the D, I don’t see why we can’t call up Shawn Belle from the Dawgs in this series.

Glad to see little Sergei back watching from the press box, the experiment inserting him into game 2 was a mistake and I am expecting a full force effort by the team tonight.

This series reminds me of the epic story between  David and Goliath, but will David win tonight in Montreal and the rest of the series?

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

94. SeriousFan09 says:

Out of AHL call-ups unless the Bulldogs were to be eliminated (and that won’t happen soon with a 2-1 series lead over Texas) and I’ve seen Belle play, he’s a physical player certainly but he doesn’t seem to have the reaction time necessary to play at the NHL level.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

95. TripleX says:

The Habs are not allowed any more call ups as long as the Bulldogs are in the playoffs and BGL is taking up a roster spot.

Even Gretzky would have problems having an impact with 4 minutes of ice time on the fourth line and no PP time.  Saying that, putting SK in the line up instead of O’Byrne was dumb, and another example of JM’s stubbornness.  JM will hamper the teams chances of winning just to prove his point.  Sad.

96. mrhabby says:

from what i have heard belle is very slow and a career minor league guy..i don’t think we need slow but some toughness might do..

97. Lafrich says:

MAB small and -11.

O’Byrne BIG and +1

Do the math.

98. _Habsoloutly_ says:

If you don’t get why OB is more usefull than MAB you’re beyond hope.

99. TripleX says:

Physical presence and stops MAB ( the human give away machine ) from playing 18 minutes a game on D.  Seems logical to most of us except you and JM.

Your hatred for SK is well known.  A more pertinent question is why would JM who shares your feelings for the man would put him on the roster in a critical game two?  Is it really prudent to try to send messages to either SK or Pouliot in a conference finals game?  Would not a wise coach at least put in O’Byrne if he wants to send a message, then at least the roster spot is not wasted?

ps why do all you O’Byrne haters talk about his lack of goal production?  when has Gill or Georges scored a goal and does that make them useless?

100. SeriousFan09 says:

Halak had allowed 6 goals in his last game against the Flyers before he pitched a shutout against them in our final game against them this year in the regular season. We haven’t won a game against the Flyers with Subban in the lineup this year, let’s kick him off as well.

But yeah, bench the 6’5″ defencemen in favour of a 5’9″ fraud with a slapshot to handle a big physical team that’s running over us in our end and crowding the Canadiens crease. O’Byrne factored into the 3-1 Comeback against the Capitals let’s not forget, adding size to our blue line and presenting a challenge to oppositon players in our end. Yes we need to score Goals but we need to stop allowing goals from occuring by having dirtbags like Hartnell stand in front of Halak without challenge.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

101. HabFanSince72 says:

TripleX –

Leaving aside the question of who should play (I like O’Byrne), the phenomenon whereby you and some others on here  assume that the Habs organization needs your input is really mind-boggling.

Obviously you still retain enough sanity to know that you couldn’t do a better job than Halak or Gomez, but you seem  to really think you could coach an NHL team better than Jacques Martin. And this based on a lifetime of
    watching games sitting on a couch, drinking beer, and yelling at the TV.

From a purely clinical standpoint, I’m fascinated how one arrives at that delusion.

102. TripleX says:

If you are making a clinical study then I assume having all the facts is critical in order to make valid conclusions.

I have played competitive hockey since the age of 10, and I am too young to drink.  Besides I truly hate the taste of beer.  I may at times throw the pillow at the television but rarely yell.

Why did you question the insertion of SK last game?  How presumptuous of you sir?  SK was obviously a success because JM as a professional coach does not make mistakes.  I assume that is your point?  The paid coaches never make mistakes and thus should never be questioned or criticized.  Our job as fans is to simply sit in silence with our cup of tea and quietly nod at the brilliance of management, coaches and players.

Thank you sir.  I will endeavor to be a better fan.

103. HabFanSince72 says:

In this province we start drinking at age 12.

104. HabFanSince72 says:

My point isn’t that O’Byrne should or shouldn’t play, nor even that we shouldn’t debate whether or not he should play (this is what this site is for after all).

105. Aaron13 says:

There were better choices for a head coach than Martin. From a PRACTICAL point of view, if a coach continues to make strategic errors then he’s nothing more than a “Chateau General”. He ruined careers in Ottawa and had a losing playoff record before migrating to YUL. He’s always preferred nifty players to grinders.

You need to focus on the scientific method:

Ask a Question

Do background research

Construct a hypothesis

Test your hypothesis by conducting experiments

Analyze your data and draw a logical theory

Are your conclusions (theory) reproducible

Communicate your results effectively

As I’ve said before, he’s inconsistent. As with the Pens and Caps, you have to “hug the enemy”. Deprive them of space and time. This is not a surgical war. It’s more like WWII’s Stalingrad.

106. B says:

O’Byrne is better defensively than Bergeron (not saying much) but I don’t think Bergeron’s lack of size is why the Habs lost the first two games this series. He has only been on the ice for one goal against this series, the goal by Leino in the last game, and Bergeron’s size had nothing to do with that one. I don’t really think Philly won the first two games by pushing little Montreal around, I think it had more to do with them executing better.

Montreal needs to score and Bergeron despite his short comings (pun intended) is one of their offensive weapons. They have to start scoring on the PP again or they are toast. I have no problem if they limit Bergeron to PP duty but I don’t think they have many better options right now than having him at the point on the PP.

107. TripleX says:

Wow…..nice dude!  LOL

108. SeriousFan09 says:

MAB is a PP specialist who hasn’t been doing his job much of late, the number of times I see the puck drift by him when he’s lazily reaching for it on the point during PP situations… It drives me nuts. My argument hs always been if we’re going to have a forward play 4 minutes a night, put him in the press box, use MAB for PP duties only and use OB as a regular defencemen. We are having an offence problem, but MAB causes a defence problem, if he is on for a goal against each game and is only good for creating a goal scored every 3 games…

We need to defend our zone and set up protection for Halak again so he can do his job, MAB can’t be a factor in using Halak as our MVP again, but OB can since he’s got the muscle to clear the crease.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

109. B says:

None of the Habs have been doing the job on the PP of late. :( I sure hope that changes tonight. They have to start scoring again on the PP at some point, hopefully that will coincide with the Flyers starting to take some stupid penalties again (and Montreal not retaliating). They have to be smarter.

110. rogus says:

Finally! Got to move those mutts from in front of the net…no insults to our canine friends out there!

111. SeriousFan09 says:

First European Official to join the NHL for next season.

Not a bad idea, tap the pro leagues across the pond to help fill out the gaps that the 4-man system has created for competent professionals to officate games. How long until we have a remark about ‘Soft Euros are going to wimp up the game!” I wonder…

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

112. joeybarrie says:

What is JM’s point???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

113. punkster says:

I’m in a foul mood this morning and just itching for an argument…so forgive me for being contrary here. No, he would not likely jeopardize the team just to prove a point. He’s a professional NHL coach and not one of the posters one this site can lay claim to that level of experience. He may be stubborn but I doubt he’s dumb. Like I said, no offence, I’m just grouchy today.

FEEL THE PRIDE!

114. Tis Himself says:

He is being outcoached, but it isn’t helping that his team is being badly outplayed and outworked.

115. RetroMikey says:

Who do we blame if BGL is still on our current roster? What a waste!

Don’t blame JM for being stubborn, it’s little Sergei who has been stubborn these past 3 seasons with our club.

JM is taking order, kudos for putting little Sergei in order!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

116. Chorske says:

I don’t think he is being outcoached. Laviolette’s team had more in the tank and did not have a four day layover after a huge emotional high. The Habs’ second game was already better than the first.

To paraphrase Seinfeld: this bandwagon. It’s fat! It’s thin! It’s fat! It’s thin! What’s with this bandwagon?!

117. Chorske says:

I agree- however, he is only human, and even the best bosses are sometimes prone to making irrational decisions based on “chemistry” rather than rational thinking. Maybe JM read Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking last week. Maybe Sergei flirted with his daughter. Maybe he doesn’ t like the way Sergei ties his skates.

118. Tis Himself says:

I disagree. I don’t think they had more in the tank after the Bruins series. They were actually due for a letdown.  Laviolette has his guys playing damn-near perfect hockey given his roster. They aren’t gooning it up at all. Also, let face it, he’s solved the riddle of Halak and his squad is making him look no better than Jose Theodore.

119. TripleX says:

ArponBasu

#Habs Martin alluded to
    dressing Sergei to get more out of others. We’ll see if Pouliot got the
    message, but he needs ice time to prove it

120. TripleX says:

George Bush Jr. was president.  I am positive I could be a better president.

Ever hear of the “Peter Principle”?  That might explain JM’s rise to such heights based on a .550 regular season record and a .467 playoff record.

JM is defenitly stubborn, I agree the dumb part is only debatable.

121. adam76 says:

I am positive I could be a better president.

Love guys like you.  So tell me, what year did you finished you undergrad at Yale, how about your law degree at harvard?

122. TripleX says:

Actually, I hope to go to Cornell.  The world has far too many lawyers as it is.

If you think GB was intelligent, and or a fine President, well I have nothing to say.

ps from the grammatical errors in your comments I assume you graduated with Mr. Bush

123. Mr_MacDougall says:

Yeah but could you have thrown out a 75mph first pitch strike at a MLB game like GWB? best ceremonial first pitch of any president!

124. BoomBoom says:

I’ve read an article that said scouts and AHL coaches thought that along with Subban, Shawn Belle was ready to make the permenant jump to the NHL next year. He is another player who has come a long way under Boucher. I believe the article was by M. Brunet at LaPresse

125. RetroMikey says:

All I am saying is we need a physical presence in front of Halak, that’s all, I’ve seen Belle play throughout most of the season and while not the most skilled player, he could be that Goliath DMan we need for this series.

Either Belle or Alex Henry to bring some physical mojo to our game on the D.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

126. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Oh I know it’s unlikely,  I would still love to see it happen though.

127. Price_31 says:

I’d go with the second point. I think Jaro plays better in front of the home crown and they’ll all be behind him forsure!

128. Slovak says:

What will show tonight’s game – there is one point that interests me – after all the work – not considering only this playoff or only this season but all his career – I believe there are 2 possibilities about Halak:

1.He is on the way to become elite goaltender – he needs more time to develop…

2.He is already elite goaltender – he will be able to bring his magic back and hold Montreal till the first goal in flying monkeys’ nets and he will be significant point for MOntreal to win this one against all the psychical exhaustion against all obstacles and everything…

If the second point is true – Halak will hold them no matter how long they will need to score the first goal, even if they should play a week…

129. HNS says:

I just took a Ferraro!

130. tanhaa says:

Coach Jacque Martin

Senators Vs. Flyers

Oh the fights in that game!!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1-25s4uwFQ&feature=related

131. 0-3To4-3 says:

Ah, memories:)  I was at this game with a few buddies, one of which left about two minutes before this to ‘beat the traffic’.  He had apparently just walked past the point of no re-entry when he heard the cheers and wasn’t allowed back into the Wachovia Center.  He missed a ridiculous comeback by the Phillies a few weeks after this for the same reason.  I’ve been to probably 10-15 Flyers/Phillies games with him since and he’s never made the same mistake again.  I’ll have to forward him this link to remind him why we never leave a game before the final horn sounds.

132. habs001 says:

i love all the post saying Michael Leighton is not that good which is probably true but that the problem is the majority of our forwards are not that good in goal scoring. our line up is full of hands of stone forwards.

133. Slovak says:

How much shutouts MAF had in series with Pitt?

134. Slovak says:

I mean MAF had 1 shutout and one near shutout – so in numbers it is pretty close plus minus – boys can wake up any second, Halak just must hold them in the beginning…till the first goal

135. 0-3To4-3 says:

Well this ought to spice things up a little bit in front of Halak’s net.  As a resident of the real world, as opposed to some of my fellow Flyer fans who have seemingly forgotten the three games that we lost in the last series, I still think this series is far from over.  My theme for tonight is ‘losing the battle, while winning the war.’  I can totally accept a loss tonight, but the Habs have to earn it.  I can only imagine the effort from the home team will be at least as strong if not stronger than the 1st period from G2.  I’ll be interested to see how JM handles the matchups now with last change.  Obviously he’ll want to get Cammalleri away from Pronger, but how much will he actually use O’Byrne vs the other D-men and against what lines?  I thought coming into this series that I would see more of Gorges and Gill at even strength then PK or Hamrlik, but so far that hasn’t seemed to be the case.  Should be a good one tonight.  I’ll begrudgingly give this one to you guys, 3-2.

136. habs001 says:

hopefully we dont come out in the first 10 minutes and get lots of chances but dont score and the flyers score on their pp .  plecks and gomez may have an overall winning % on face offs but they seem to lose most draws in our zone when we are on the pk.  4 players are the key if camm and gion are shut down…gomez 1 goal in 16 games..plecks 0 goals in 10 games..ak46 no goals in 15/16 games..pouliot one goal in his last 29 games..these stats are pathetic…the majority of the other goals scored by our other forwards have been as a result of bad goaltending by the opposition…the main issue as all year has been scoring…

137. TripleX says:

Nice alteration of the stats dude.  If you are going to compare goal scoring slumps it helps to use the same measuring stick for all the players.

Gomez 1 goal in 16 games

Pleks 4 goals in 16 games

AK 3 goals in 16 games

ALL three have not scored in far too long.

I give Pouliot a pass in the playoffs since it is hard to make an impact on the third and fourth lines.  Pouliot is not a playmaker but rather a shooter and who is going to set him up on those lines.

138. habs001 says:

he had one shut out…was 30 seconds away from a second one…and in the 3-2 win he gave up terrible goals to pyatt and lapps and gion goal went off the d…easily he could have had 3

139. Danno says:

With nobody crashing the crease and few shots from the slot, Leighton got two of these from the Habs. That must change tonight. We need a big physical presence in front of Leighton’s net and we need to clear the zone in front of Jaro to change the outcome in our favour.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

140. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Biggest problem with our PP at the moment is that MAB is handling the puck too much.  He’s our shooter, they should be getting the puck to him to set up for the bomb.  Obviously that was Markov’s role, but I don’t think the answer is to have MAB be in charge of managing the PP while also being the shooter.  PK has shown that he can play at this level…let him handle the puck more and look to MAB for the one timer.  Someone else posted about giving Lapierre a chance to stand in front of the net on the PP, I agree.  Pouliot too, he scored a lot of his goals early in the season from in tight.

141. FSUPhi1584 says:

That ingenious suggestion was made by me lol. I think one thing we need to start with is making sure the center wins the draw on the faceoff anf having a set play when he does win.

One other thing I’d like to see and have mentioned often is using an umbrella system while MAB is on the PP so that he handles the puck scarcely and pretty much just shoots. one of our forwards down low should be scrappy like Laps so he can cash in on rebounds. The majority of the puck handling should be done by the guy in the high slot (Spacek or Subban), until the PK switches to a diamond at which time Gomez will do most of the puck handling, or the other wave could come on in an overload system with Cammy and company.

142. slapshot777 says:

Finally O’Byrne draws back in, we need his big body to move the guys out from the front of the net.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.