O’Byrne says he’s in tonight

Ryan O’Byrne told colleagues this morning that he’s back in tonight’s lineup for the Canadiens. Head coach Jacques Martin said that he’d announce his roster after tonight’s warmup.

O’Byrne’s return would give the Habs seven defencemen. Benoit Pouliot is back in, by all indications. Mathieu Darche should be out; he had a brief one-on-one at centre ice with Martin during the skate. Sergei Kostitsyn’s comeback ends at one game.

Jeff Carter skated with the Flyers but didn’t seem ready to go just yet, wincing on at least one drill.

1. HNS says:

HABS in 7. U better believe it!

2. somerslovesthehabs says:

love this move, agree that MAB on PP has a Bomb, but OB much better for us in our own end, don’t think I could handle watching MAB turn the puck over much longer

Go Habs

3. Center of the Universe Habs Fan says:

When the bring the guy to justice, can they also explain to him that any of the Habs of any consequence are Canadian, and their goal scorers are all French Canadian?

We had no problem going to Pittsburgh for round 2.  No way were we going to Philly for round 3.  There are very few places that I don’t feel safe — Philly is one of them.  Ironically, their fellow Pennsylvanians shared our view when we were talking with some in a bar after game 5.

“Gionta goes into a corner with a guy who’s 6’4″ and comes out with the puck. Who’s the bigger guy?” – Cammy

4. HFX-HabFan says:

Yawn.  Even if Canada were to win, not many people this side of the Atlantic would care.  The only tournaments that actually mean anything are the Olympics and the Under-20 WJCs. Everything else is watered down crap. Best-on-best is where it’s at.

But go ahead Russia, win your third straight “world championship” and pretend that you’re some sort of international “dynasty”. We all know that you crapped the bed when it really mattered. You’re only fooling yourselves.  Silly Russians.

5. Center of the Universe Habs Fan says:

Gill and O’Byrne aren’t goal scorers.  They do a good job of keeping the opposition off the board, but they can’t score.

Let someone like Pouliot (who needs to prove himself) or Moen to hang out in front.  Both CAN score and are big & gritty enough to do some damage.

It’s SOOOO frustrating watching them make Leighton look unbeatable.

6. Slovak says:

How do you like this:

RUS 4: CAN 0

12 minutes remaining in 3rd.

7. K-hab25 says:

7 goals, in 4 1/2 periods, doesn’t cut it, he needs to step it up, period.

8. Danno says:

Finally, some justice. Of course this means the momentum has shifted in Montreal’s favour.

Definitivement…

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

9. GoalieT says:

You noticed that too, huh? That little tactic is something they’ve used since game 1 already. Our defenseman would have to stay high with him and then it left 2 forwards busting in on only one of our D-men and, if we were lucky, a forward that had the presence of mind to come back and help out.

While I recognize its not a nice thing to say, I hope Briere loses teeth tonight ala Eric Belanger. Looking at that little turd-burgler makes me mad.

Ultimate Die-Hard Since 1986.

T.

10. GoalieT says:

Now all we need to do now is reveal who the real Michael Leighton is before its too late. That guy isn’t nearly as good as everyone is making him out to be. His rebound control is brutal – like bouncing pucks off a trampoline. We’re going to score the first goal tonight, and then we’ll see how these Flyers cope.

Ultimate Die-Hard Since 1986.

T.

11. Drive_For_25 says:

I agree but I think it’s more the fact that I’d rather have ANYONE in there besides MAB, OB’s size is just a bonus.  It’s not like we’re just getting hammered out there and size is the only issue.  If we could move the puck better size wouldn’t matter because we are way faster than they are, and we really could only use some size up front to match better against their D.  Which is why taking Darche out of the lineup is dumb.

12. Habby2CU says:

All we have left tonight is hope — and that’s more than can be said of 26 other teams.

I love it! Let’s win one at home!!!

13. Drive_For_25 says:

You clearly didn’t watch one game BGL played for us.  He was the worst player on the ice in every game and did none of the things you suggested he would do out there for us.  Just sayin.

14. TripleX says:

FriedmanHNIC

Pat Hickey finds fan who
    vandalized his car — http://bit.ly/9Egmzz

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

15. Drive_For_25 says:

MAB still playing!!

16. Drive_For_25 says:

No Pyatt???  What have you been watching??

17. pmaraw says:

we need our wingers to trail their puck carriers in so they cant just stop on the blue line and wait for reinforcements to get deep.

18. Rage says:

I love the guy to death but come on?? “most skilled guy on the team”?? For god’s sake leave him on defense where he plays well. The last thing we need is yet another defenseman playing forward. As for skill there are at least 6 if not 9 forwards on the team that are FAR better offensively than PK. Defensively? He is easily top 5 if not higher. But have some perspective.

19. Kooch7800 says:

I agree.  the only way we will win is playing our speed and skill game.  They can do it.  Pronger is SLOW.  Dump it in and chase is down.  The third and fourth liner should keep pounding away on the defense of the flyers.

20. Kooch7800 says:

Bang on. I used to love BGL.  Now I have no respect for a player who lives on his past.  I hate to tell you George fighters and grinders have to work hard every game cause they don’t have skill for a regular shift.

ah, don’t get me started on him.  He is not worth it

21. A. Berke says:

Unfortunately, IMHO, lack of skills does not equate to wins (in spite or not).

Ali B.

22. Shublips says:

I don’t understand what JM”s love affair with MAB is all about.  This guy scored one big goal in the Caps series and hasn’t done anything since.

Plus he is minus-11.  Ridiculous.   That plus the insertion then deletion of SK74, and the refusal (until now) to put O’Byrne into the lineup, just make no sense.  I don’t understand what JM is thinking…

Anyone else able to make heads of tails of it?

Habs Addict.com http://www.HabsAddict.com on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Habs-Addict/293450486615 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HabsAddict on Hockeybuzz.com: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=137

23. Malreg says:

You don’t only need some one big, they need hands and a little bid of speed to jump on the loose puck.  I would give Lapierre a chance on the PP.

24. pmaraw says:

the birthday party is over!!!

25. Habs4ever Fan says:

HABS IN 7 in spite of JM’s coaching skills

26. lenny says:

anybody have a link to the “streets of phily” song they have been playing on team 990

27. Habs4ever Fan says:

HABS IN 7 in spite of JM’s coaching skills

28. B says:

I don’t agree with all of your player assessments, but I agree with the first part. Now is not the time to try and radically change their whole game plan and certainly trying to out physical Philly is not a wise approach either. There are always some tweaks to be made,, but they need to play their game, use their speed and stay disciplined. If they can get back to executing on special teams again, they should do fine.

29. Mrhab24 says:

I thought my Wife and I were the only ones who called him POO POO. HAHAHAHAHA

30. tdrmoss84 says:

Go 20! Our time has come to notch our first victory of the series…Go Habs Go!

31. B says:

If all they need is a big guy in the slot on the PP against Philly, they have had Gill all along. Perhaps it is not that simple?

32. TripleX says:

If JM continues with the same PP unit I might go insane.

33. Will Longlade says:

I would park OB in the slot for one or two PP’s to see how that works.

34. avatar_58 says:

Yeah BGL helped last year against that physical Bruins team!

Wait…

35. avatar_58 says:

Lapierre has been clutch in the playoffs, and Pyatt has been very strong defensively. I’m not sure why 2 games would make you write them off. They played well for 2 ROUNDS. That means something.

36. Mr_MacDougall says:

I’ll agree with that. If he made that save and the period unfolded the same way, we’d have felt pretty good about being tied at zero on the road after one.

37. Max_a_million says:

I bet Gionta could take out Carcillo in a saltine eating contest.

38. Mr_MacDougall says:

Hopefully that’s why Pouliot is in tonight.. PP crease presence.

39. Mr_MacDougall says:

HAHAHAHHAHAH That’s great meterial! If we need really big men.. we wont have them until October.

40. Mr_MacDougall says:

I was not a Pyatt supporter, but I think he is a servicable 4rth liner that is a PK specialist. Lapierre, I am not a fan of, but as a 4rth liner I like, Unfortunately I think he has bigger plans, so he is out (nice to have a 4th liner that can score 5-10 per season and one per playoff series however). Darche is sound defensively and may be useful in Hamilton. Sk out of the organization all together. AK should be an attractive player in a trade, young 30 goal scorer.. he needs to go, hopefully get a nice 20 goal grinder in return! Mara, I honestly wasnt watching as intently in the regular season to notice him at all. MAB, oh dear.

I like Gomez a lot, contract is the only issue… if he was getting Koivu money i’d be happy. Hammer is done, one year left, I wish Millburry were still a GM then we may be able to move his 5.5 mill!

41. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

No water, I thought it was going to be easy but I couldn’t get past 4.

42. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Pyatt will be here next year.

43. homerbowen says:

We are not going to beat Philly in the size dept so move on from that. We cannot afford to get into it with them tonight as we are not toughj enough, in fact we have no toughness at all. Let Philly take the penalties and make them pay for it that way. All we need is for Gorges to decide to take on Carcillo, get his ass whipped and possibly injured. Play hard, skate and stay out of the box.

Not in next years plans……Darche, AK, SK, Pyatt, MAB, Mara.

I wish were not in next years plan….Gomez, Hammer, Lapierre

Good luck tonight boys you’re going to need it.

44. adam76 says:

Love it – at least he didn’t sing Celine Dion.

45. Max_a_million says:

I would guess

(A) Under sea oil wells spewing oil throughout the ocean at 100,000 barrels a day

or

(B) High Taxes

46. adam76 says:

and join the green party?

47. ArmyFan says:

He’s sure to retire now, what with his awesome new gig…

48. Max_a_million says:

Doesn’t that seem unbelievable, yet I know that you are right about this.  isn’t it without water too?

49. roblack says:

HABS FOREVER,FOREVER HABS

I agree we need to bury one or two early. If we dont score in the first ten minutes I have a feeling we are doomed. What about playing PK up front? Has he ever played forward? Hes got size,and tons of skill,probaly the most skilled guy on the team. This is where Halak has to show his stuff,and hes got it!

50. habs3161 says:

WE NEED THE BELL CENTRE TO BE ROCKING TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!I WAS THERE IN GAME 6AGAINST PITTS…

WE ARE THE 7th MAN ON THE ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!

51. lenny says:

not to be rude BUT…Are you fu****g nuts….get this through your head….he is useless

52. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

On a side note the World Record for Saltine crackers eaten in a minute is 7.

53. adam76 says:

So now what are you “smart” fans going to complain about now?

54. CHsam says:

Absolutely agree with you. 100%.

We need OB not to knock em around, but to somehow slow them down a bit which could really help us when we transition. And when we do, I agree with what you say about the second player.

Well cheers all, here’s to a good game 3 tonight.

55. Tis Himself says:

The real question is why did Big George go vegan on us?

56. SeriousFan09 says:

Laraque was a pacifist in the CH and doesn’t belong on this team, wouldn’t fight anyone without an invitation and was too slow to be effective against the Flyers, wouldn’t stand up for his teammates and was a joke player. Wouldn’t be shocked if he retired.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

57. shaw says:

Why didn`t we keep Laraque I thinkg that was a biggggggg mistake from BOB Gainey we could have put him up against  pronger ,casillo, hartnell. I mean we really need a big men  that can hit and  do some damage, at least prevent  the flyers from  having teh fast break.

O`bryne can`t be the only one , now that we lost Markvov  it`s gonna  be tough

58. Max_a_million says:

Therein lies the rub.  When the only thing you have to eat in the world is a saltine cracker, it is the best thing to eat in the world (Eddie Murphy).  When you have too much to eat, you get picky and raise your expectations.

59. ArmyFan says:

Game 1 – not a chance.  That loss was a full-out team effort.

Game 2 – maybe.  In my view (and I’m sure there are many who disagree), Halak should have had that first Briere goal.  Arguments for and against for sure, but that was a punch in the nuts regardless.  “Here we go again” thoughts start on both teams, from two obviously different perspectives.  It’s sets a tone, plus allows Philly to sit back a bit, play defensively and wait for opportunities.  Getting behind by a goal, especially when they’re at a premium for your team, forces you to open up a bit, leading to those opportunities that Philly is waiting to pounce on.  On the other hand, if Halak makes the save, and you get the first goal – tides are turned and the game is completely different.

Neither loss was Halak’s fault.  But your own goaltending absolutely has an indirect impact on your ability to score goals yourself.

60. Max_a_million says:

Under

Under

It’s bad luck to say

It’s bad luck to say

61. Max_a_million says:

After thinking about it, I think JM didn’t want to go with size (OB), because we have no ability to match Philly in size anyway so he was trying to play to a strength in quickness and puck moving instead of trying to be Philly lite.

I think playing O’Byrne made sense Game 1 and it still does game 3.  He desrves it, and he will help.

I don’t understand the people who post saying to knock them around?!?  Ummm, we have no chance of knocking them around, in a physical battle we lose.  Somehow we have to develop movement and passing that gets us away from the Left Wing Lock, do some more dumping and chasing with speed, and get the second player up more quickly.

The good news is that as well as Philly has played they should be stagnant in their strategy giving JM a chance to try to overcome a stationary target.

The bad news is 7 game series drain teams a lot, and no one has ever won a series after winning two consecutive 7 game series previously.  Plus Philly is a bad match up for us.

Boy I hope we can come up with a little magic tonight … Cammelleri will be double shifting looking an opportunity.

62. habz says:

DUDE..Chilll..i was just wishing halak a good game tonite. i think we all know they have to work harder to put pucks in the net.

63. wall2bay says:

If we can start by getting just 1 early goal on Leighton, it will be like cracking the dam!  A Tsunami will follow!!

“I kind of feel sorry for players who never got a chance to be a Montreal Canadien” – Cammalleri

64. habsperspective says:

Over Under Obyrne 2.5 Penaltys

Over Under Philly Power Play 2.5 Goals

Over Under Habs Total Goals 2.5 Goals

Habs Win or Lose

Over

Over

Over

Win OT

65. Norcal Habsfan says:

What did it do to the room to have him back in after acting like a selfish a** during the playoffs. Send to the weight room again if thats what it takes.

66. Say Ash says:

And have him come up on the power play – he’d hold the blue line better than MAB.

67. Norcal Habsfan says:

I thought beating Caps and Pens would be enough for me, but it’s not. I think we all want and expect more. Screw the reverse jinx. We’ll solve them tonight. Habs 3-1 (reverse-reverse)

Go HABS Go. Boo the crap out of Briere for me.

68. Chorske says:

LOL, that slacker better start carrying his weight around here.

69. habsperspective says:

If only it doesnt light a fire under Poo Poo’s goaless ass!

70. wall2bay says:

Here’s a suggestion…..park Gill or O’Byrne in front of Leighton on the PP.  It just might work!!!

71. Max_a_million says:

Let’s hope.  That move didn’t make a bit of sense.

72. _Habsoloutly_ says:

By A-game do you mean he has to score a goal as well as stop 30-50 shots?

73. Anal_Surprise says:

Well, I guess that’s the end for Sergei in Montreal.

74. Anal_Surprise says:

Even if he does, why would the outcome be any different with the team having yet to score this series?

75. habz says:

Here’s hoping Halak Brings his A-game Tonite.