O’Byrne, Kostopoulos arrested in Tampa

Police mugshots of O’Byrne (left) and Kostopoulos

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey reports this morning from Tampa that Canadiens defenceman Ryan O’Byrne and forward Tom Kostopoulos spent last night in a holding cell in the Tampa jail after they were arrested outside a South Tampa night club early this morning.

O’Byrne was charged with grand theft, while Kostopoulos was charged with resisting an officer without violence.

Both were freed shortly before 9 this morning after posting bail. O’Byrne’s bail was set at $2,000, while Kostopoulos has to pay $500. Read the full story here.

1. Morenz7 says:

Doesn’t explain the missing $20 (if indeed $20 was missing; not sure who gets the benefit of doubt on that).

2. mjames says:

Your comment seems very plausible. The alcohol had everything to do with it. He did not steal the purse he was drunk and being a smart ass or something. Speaking of alcohol what were Tenders, Price and SK74 doing? They are twenty and are underage. Management should explain that any rookie funded parties have to comply with the law. I am assuming these three were drinking cokes. Yea right!

Maybe Carbo should call up O’Bryn’s mom and dad.

3. RH says:

‘so i guess we dont look as bad now! maybe they were scared a big black guy was going to come for them next so they grabbed the first phone they could find to call komisarek to come save their asses.’

I really want to laugh but, I’m confused. What black guy? Do you mean the basketball player was going to come after them next? Why would they call Komisarek if they know how fight, themselves?

4. idle says:

Doesn’t take much to poke those feelings out of you…

5. HabsFanInTampa says:

Hey Pete, don’t forget about the two Carolina Panther Cheerleaders “assisting” each other in the bathroom stall at Banana Joe’s πŸ™‚

6. idle says:

I don’t know, what purpose would ‘go steal that ladies purse’ serve towards rookie initiation? I can’t imagine a handful of players, drunk or otherwise, would think it was funny to go along with that.

7. idle says:

It could be that klepto thing. I know he has been injured lately but earlier in the season he was stealing ice time from Breezer.

8. idle says:

But you don’t know the facts yet, so how can it be funny and how can it be a good thing for Tom to stand up for his teammate in any situation until we do know the facts. If it comes out that there is no reasonable excuse or even if it was just a prank I don’t think stealing or getting arrested is funny. This is not a frat house and you can argue that those things aren’t funny in a frat house either. And if it comes out that Tom was drunk and causing a fuss with the cops then that seems less about standing up for your teammate and more about being an idiot. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting those things happened, because we don’t know the story yet but it goes both ways, we can’t be too hard on them yet but we can’t just laugh and shrug it off either.

9. RS says:

Like I said, “drunk and stupid” “poor judgement”!

And it would be interesting to find out who else was there.

10. HabsFanInTampa says:

The unfortunate “Rule of Thumb” is that if you’re a northerner, and you live or are visiting anywhere in the Eastern USA south of Virginia……You’re guilty of something!!!! πŸ™‚
    Hey Bubba, the Civil War is over….You lost….Get over it already!

11. habitual says:

Maybe not, RS, but O’Bryne is charged with a criminal offense nonetheless. I doubt the judge who hears the case will think it’s a judicial knee slapper.

Beyond that, what are players doing out at 3:00am, obviously pissed as billy goats? This speaks to a lack of judgment from those involved. It’s not like you can’t drink if you are a professional athlete, but remember how demanding the NHL schedule is and how hard some players train to keep themselves at the top of their game (think Higgins & Komisarik).

A brand new rookie and others who should be taking him in hand should have a more professional approach to keeping themselves game ready. I like Kostopolis but he should have his butt kicked.

12. HabsFanInTampa says:

Damn it! My beloved Canadiens are partying it up in my humble town and I’m at home watching TV?… I definitely need to get out more! Whiskey Park, mons freres!?! C’mon guys, What were you thinking!?!? You coulda (or shoulda?) taken the Greek to Tarpon Springs and have him surrounded by the largest Greek community in FLA has to offer. O’byrne shoulda went to “Hattricks” and got his head screwed on straight by some true hockey fans. Stealing a purse? Grow up OR take off that Hab’s jersey you friggin’ idiot, you don’t deserve the Bleu, Blanc et rouge!

13. otter649 says:

Tampa seems a popular place for Habs to have fun…Back when The Habs played Tampa in the playoffs – Riberio & Dagenais broke curfew down there
    with Dagenais getting benched….

14. downeast hab says:

Sounds like he is being pegged as guilty already. This is not a goverment agency, so he is INNOCENT until proven guilty. Until I hear is statement, I will not draw conclusions.

15. planet habs says:

total morons! have to steal a woman’s purse? your salary of $590,000 not enough for you? what a piece of work! resisting arrest? maybe that’s why you can’t follow directions from your coach on the ice! selfish act! screw up your team, as if things aren’t bad enough for this team!

16. TC says:

Apparently, from reading the report, O’Byrne is outside at the bar’s front entrance, waiving the purse in the air for all to see. Doesn’t strike me as somebody trying to get away with stealing a purse. It sounds to me that things got out of hand quickly and escalated.

As I said before, sounds like a prank gone horribly wrong. At the very least it shows poor judgement.

17. projectpete19 says:

on another note, an ex-NBA player got arrested 20 mins earlier for punching a guy out and kicking out the window of a cop car as stated in the tampa tribune http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/feb/11/tampa-police-net-2-pro-hockey-players/ .

18. Richard B says:

too bad Higgins, Ryder and Breezer wern’t there to get tazered. Might have done some good.

19. RS says:

Hockey players getting drunk and stupid. Now that’s a first!

As stated below, it does sound like the Corson-Chelios years. Poor judgement, but hopefully Gainey doesn’t over-react. Sounds like a practical joke gone wrong. OB was probably set up by one of his teammates. Probably Kots.

Not exactly Dany Heatley, Craig MacTavish or Rob Ramage material.

20. showey47 says:

its essentially not listening to an officer when he tells you to back away, thats all, nothing physical.

21. Richard B says:

I would love to know what other players were there with him.

22. nick says:

Unfortunately you really don’t have to do much in the states to get arrested… To be perfectly honest i’m surprised they weren’t both tasered πŸ˜›

23. HabsInBlood says:

LOL – you got that right!!

24. habitual says:

Kevin, pls feel free to delete my previous post.

25. habfan53 says:

It’s not standing up for a teammate when the police are involved. It’s stupidity.
    When I was readind the story and They caught him on the phone I thought he would say I was trying to reach her or a friend from the phone list.
    I guess he’s not that smart.
    He’s been rumored to be one of those being traded, this will just hasten it.

26. habitual says:

This isn’t even close to being funny. But what in God’s name does “resisting an officer without resistance” mean? Surely a classic oxymoron.

27. Kevin Mio says:

Guys, the Kostopoulos charge was actually “resisting an officer without violence.”

The story has been corrected.

28. Jim M says:

The only thing I don’t want to hear is that he thought it was his! (Not that there is anything wrong with that.)

29. 1010 says:

Hope you’re right TC, that this was some sort of initiation gone bad.The more I think about it’s the most logical explanation.

GO HABS.

30. TC says:

At first glance, this doesn’t appear to be too good, but we should wait a little bit before jumping to conclusions. From the sounds of the article, it seems that a few members of the team were there. Hopefully, this is a rookie prank gone horribly wrong. Maybe we’re lucky that more guys weren’t arrested.

It’s starting to seem like things are turning against the team this year, I hope not but ….

31. 1010 says:

Only two possibilities here; although I’m having a hard time believing you would actually steal someone’s purse and find that even remotely funny.
    Or the guy is some kind of klepto’.
    If all this is true then you know Gainey will not tolerate it… nor should he. This-again, if it’s true-is insane.

GO HABS.

Let’s not jump to conclusions here. This happened at 3am in the morning so you would have to think that some of these people might have been half in the bag:-) I wouldn’t assume that O’Byrne stole anything and that maybe a situation that could have been rectified unfortunately got out of hand. The cops can be different down in the southern states. There are a lot of details that need to be filled in here. What kind of charge is “resisting without resistance”? Regardless, this won’t sit well with Gainey.

Get ready to see Brisebois in the lineup for Tuesday and Wednesday.

THe Original 24 Cups

33. Naila Jinnah says:

Agreed. DUI would have been much worse.
    This is unfortunate and irresponsible, but definitely laughable.

34. Naila Jinnah says:

Benched or simply fined?

Now this is a rookie dinner gone bad… $2000 bail after he had to pay for dinner? lol.

It’s unfortunate that this incident won’t teach anyone any lessons. Nice (ish) to see TK standing up for his teammates in all situations. I wonder how everyone else reacted…

35. HabsInBlood says:

Guys … chill out and let the details come. I’m sure there’s some kind of explanation for what happened. I’d much rather have him arrested for “stealing a woman’s purse” as opposed to fighting or pissing on the street or impaired driving.

Think about it … you’re the opposing team in Tampa. When people find out who you are at a bar … who knows what happens, what tricks might be played to get you in trouble.

36. nick says:

Nope not smart at all. I’m sure it had to be some kind of prank or rookie hazing. I mean why would you bother stealing a womans purse if your making x hundred thousand a year.

37. Exit716 says:

Gainey isn’t going to like his explanation. What can it be? Sorry Bob, I was drunk?
    They’ll bury him so deep you won’t be able to find him with the Hockey News.
    They were probably getting too cocky with the cops as well.

38. Norm0770 says:

It had to be some kind of prank, bet or dare. Not smart by any measure.

39. nick says:

Haaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha… i suppose it better then re-breaking his thumb on the officer. In the end i don’t suppose it’s all that funny cause they’ll both most likely be benched.

40. drecha says:

This is in the “I do not beleive it” catagory. How the hell is this possible. O’byrne buddy I hope you have a logical explanation for this.

The tank is full, now let’s map the route for the drive to 25!!