O’Byrne, Brisebois in, Hamrlik, Kostopoulos out

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey has provided the following update on tonight’s game in Tampa Bay.

Defencman Ryan O’Byrne will play against the Lightning, but his cellmate, Tom Kostopoulos, won’t.

Other scratches include Steve Bégin and Roman Hamrlik. Hamrlik practised this morning, but still isn’t 100 per cent recovered from the flu. That means Patrice Brisebois will play.

Cristobal Huet will start in goal.

1. Naila Jinnah says:

Bummer.

2. Cable Guy says:

For the love of God what kind of super strain flu does Hammer have?

3. krob1000 says:

The Smolinski line could look a whole lot differnt though if both Streit and Dandy are on it…..I kind of like that one better to amtch up when need be. We have a definite depth advantage over Tampa and that is where we should be able to gain momentum. IF we can keep Vinny in check(no easy task) and if we play with the three lines that I suspect (kid line back and Kioivu line reunited) then we should have the firepower to offset Hamrlik’s absence….I hope.

4. RH says:

Why’s Begin out? Numbers game?

5. showey47 says:

I just hope carbo just doesn’t try to match vinny with the smolinski line, they are not fast or skilled enough for it. Play the pleky line against them with komi and markov on defence, even if vinny plays 25 to 30 mins. This will be tough on the road with tampa getting the last change. But the other 3 lines are a better option than the smolinski line when trying to shut down vinny.

6. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

although every game is interesting and important…this one has a story to it that needs the last chapter written…I’m expecting a stellar performance from Obryne and the BREEZE.

if Hammr wasn’t sick, would obryne be in the holding cell with kostop? or would Breeze be there, thats what i’d really like to know…

4 very very important points….
    ———
    1. BREEZE MUST NOT SEE THE ICE AGAIN
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your’re not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

7. Scotty90 says:

Does Hammer have something more serious than the flu? it should have cleared up by now… shouldn’t it? or maybe he needs a couple of days to get his strength back.

8. Chorske says:

Fair enough. I have no lessons to learn about coming down on the morons that boo him every time he touches the puck or misplays it during a game. I’m on record here and elsewhere, speaking out against it. It’s crass.

But I am allowed to state that I don’t think he’s the strongest Dman on this team, and that against Tampa, I would prefer to see some more solid guys on the blueline. End of story.

9. HKisses says:

Ya we need some class ….SIGN TuLUSTY ….Gainey Please …Just for FFS

10. Habs_008 says:

I cant help but feel bad for him, he is a Canadien, I have not been very supportive of him this year either. Lets see how he does Tonight, maybe we will say something good about the guy tomorrow. When I went in 1999 they also booed Jeff Hackett and he wasnt even playing, he was injured! Fans were pissed off back then, and rightfully so…we sucked!

11. nightmare_49 says:

Scotty – I’m surprised that you’ve never been to the Bell Center to see a game and you should try to make the next summit , it’s a blast , unfortunately they won’t let you in with your mug (stein,bock) though you can improvise.

12. Wops says:

Thanks!

I guess they removed it so he is not playing indeed.
    _______________________________________
    CH is for Chris Higgins

13. HKisses says:

Honestly i just put my self in any of those players situation and jus imagine being Booed . Horrible feeling i can tell you that, no matter how bad or crappy Brisbois can be i refuse to boo him. Either way he is part of this damn team. This guy got booed b4 he was traded like you said ,but clearly he has a passion for this city and team to come back and take on the fans….This guy is not only playing against opponents but also the fans…i hate it….

14. Habs_008 says:

I remember going to a game in 1999 against Philly, and everytime Briser would touch the puck he would get Booed! I mean EVERYTIME! for 3 periods. Poor boy. That said, he does give it away a lot.

15. HKisses says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA……and then we have Tulusty posing naked ……LAFFS….Why don’t you poitn that out instead of jking aroudn about the HABS….

16. Habs_008 says:

Enjoy the Sun, You Deserve it! Have fun at the game, i am sure seeing a game in Tampa is nothing compared to MTL, but a hab game is a hab game. Have fun!

17. HKisses says:

Ummmm…. first Yes we got smoekd the other day….but the whole team lost…And they didn’t lose because of Brisbois….yes i don’t liek him either…but hey the loss wasn’t because of him….. Im sure he’ll be just fine today…you know somtimes its better to keep a positive attitude , maybe our fans woudln’t run players outta this city if we did keep positive attitudes,or maybe players wouldn’t hessitate to come here…..

18. Hockey11 says:

We need another D, take Dandy and make him or make Streit a full time D man or call Jamie Rivers, we dropped the ball signing Carbo old roommate, he is not good enough and that’s not bashing.

Lest not we forget, the playoffs are looming and OByrne is playing his 12th career NHL game, don’t expect too much.

19. Chorske says:

I don’t get the scratching of Kostopoulos.

I don’t get the playing of Brisebois.

We got absolutely SMOKED the other day, I would’ve hoped to see a more profound changement in our alignement, esp. regarding Brisebois not being in the pressbox.

I am, on the other hand, glad to see that Carbo is playing O’Byrne. Business as usual until this gets sorted.

20. PGHABS says:

I can’t beleive Brisebois is in the lineup. I don’t think Kostop is very good either, but Brisebois is a nightmare. I can’t believe the Canadiens did this to us and signed Breezer. The last two years when Breezer was with the AVs i always ragged on my buddy who was an Avs fan. His complaints were basically the same as all of ours…

______________________________________
    Pessimism is a cowards way out.

21. Kevin Mio says:

I just read that story and nowhere does it say anything about Hamrlik. Also, the information I received on Hamrlik came from Pat Hickey, who is in Tampa and was at the morning skate. I’ll trust his word.

22. RS says:

C’mon, quit making sense! I don’t know if that’s allowed around here. It’s way more fun to argue that the Habs would be in first place if it wasn’t for Breezer.

23. The Teacher says:

Although I don’t really like Brisebois and never did, this is a great post.

His salary and role are different now and he is handling himself with class. If he was still making 3.5+ I’ll be hammering him here as well.

Komi has a few holes in his defencive game at times also but he gets away with them because it’s not normally an outright pass to the opposing team or it is overlooked because of his Komisaurantic Hits. He is still improving but is not critiqued with the same perspective.

24. HabsFanInTampa says:

To Habs_008: I know the feeling all too well! I grew up in Chomedey, Laval shoveling snow from the time I could walk. Then, I moved to Rochester, NY and shoveled more friggin’ snow for another 15 years. :)

25. jew4jah says:

thank you so much for putting that in perspective.
    excellent post.

26. Ed says:

I could be wrong, but I think that Guy Lapointe had a similar type problem.

27. krob1000 says:

Excellent post!!!!

28. Bean says:

Yeah, La Presse is reporting it too. I just saw it online. François Gagnon’s article says the rash developed as a reaction to the medication he was taking for his flu bug.

Man, Hamrlik must be so frustrated. First he gets felled by the SuperFlu and then the drugs he took to help get rid of it make him break out. Can’t cut a break!

29. Chris says:

Yep, I’m a Brisebois fan. He does what is asked of him, hasn’t complained all year, and is doing it for less than an equivalent defenceman would make. He takes the brunt of Habs fans critcism year after year, whether warranted or not, with much more grace than most people would. As a 4th, 5th or 6th defenceman in his last season on a rebuilding team, I have no issues with him. He makes horrific mistakes occasionally, as do all defencemen. Of late, even Komisarek (who really played terrible last game…looking for a bounce-back from him tonight) and Markov have been slipping a little in their defensive coverage.

But as for why Carbonneau keeps playing him, I would say that it is part of Gainey and Carbonneau’s long-term plan for the defence corps. Who are the alternatives? Streit if FAR more effective as a forward, and makes a lot of gaffes of his own when he’s playing D. Dandenault was simply brutal last season on D. O’Byrne and Valentenko are probably the best prospects in Hamilton. However, young defencemen often require patience as they adjust to the nuances of the pro game, the increased speed and strength of the players. Valentenko is in his first pro season in North America, while O’Byrne is in his 2nd pro season out of US college. By playing Brisebois and letting O’Byrne & Valentenko get more minutes under their belts outside of the spotlight that comes with playing with the Habs, the Canadiens are investing in their long-term future. The alternative would be to watch those guys’ growing pains on the Habs defence. While I suspect that many of the posters here would say that they are all for that, I have little doubt that that sentiment would go flying right out the window after 5-10 games of mistakes costing us goals while we are fighting for a playoff spot.

Appreciate Patrice Brisebois for what he brings to the team instead of always focussing so much on what he does not bring. Much like Vladimir Malakhov before him, Brisebois has been an average defenceman with above-average offensive skills who was asked to fill the role of a #1 defenceman and all the pressure that goes with that in one of the largest hockey markets in the world. That he was not that #1 defenceman (or #4 defenceman, as the case is today), is not his fault. He does what is asked and plays as well as he can in that role. I have never felt that Brisebois’ defensive failures stemmed from a lack of effort, but more just the limitations he has as a player.

30. Habs_008 says:

I wish i was in Tampa, must be nice, its a blizzard over here in T.O!

31. HabsFanInTampa says:

If any of you fans are going to the game tonight, I’ll be in section 217 in the Wachovia Bank Club seating. Please stop by, I’ll be the one guy with the red Habs’ “Home” jersey on, surrounded by a bunch of old men in suits cheering for the last place Lightning.

32. Bean says:

D’oh! You’re right, thanks for the heads-up! I’ve edited my tix post.

33. Habhopeful says:

the 15th is on a friday

34. HabsFanInTampa says:

To Habs.since.birth: Go to ticketmaster.com and buy tickets to a Canadiens vs Sabres game. It’s a lot closer to drive and way cheaper, especially with your favorable exchange rate on your Loonies. As an added bonus, on the way back you can stop by the Casino Niagara.

35. Shiloh says:

Mario Tremblay had this condition and it hastened his retirement. The rash wouldn’t disappear until he’d been without equipment on a few weeks into the summer.

36. idle says:

I hate chaffing. Maybe he could try some baby powder?

37. Kythehabsfan says:

I remember that – Ken Dryden also talked about it in his book The Game.

38. Wops says:

If I was Andre Roy I would go on the ice with a purse…

ahha
    _______________________________________
    CH is for Chris Higgins

39. Habs_008 says:

I also live in T.O. I have seen games vs the Laffs in T.O and I have been to the Bell Centre a few times. There is NOTHING like seeing a game in MTL. I am going to a game this month vs Columbus, try http://www.vipprotours.com or call there toll free line at 1-800-567-8687. I go with them everytime, its not the cheapest, but they hook you up with tickets to the game, hotel and the last time they gave me a couple of Montreal Hats. I go with them everytime I got MTL. I am sure they have some tickets remaining for this year. Enjoy! and go to a game!

40. Guy21 says:

The only thing now is for O’Bryrne to be so hyped in trying to make a good impression that he is suckered into a fight and re injures his thumb….Breeze by is a give away waiting to happen-does he not know its over for him?Hey Carbo lets pick three lines and go with them until the bitter end no matter what….would it be possible??The fourth line will have different participants due to the numbers but that can’t be avoided.

GO HABS GO

41. HKisses says:

LMAO…..Thank you well said

42. Sbah Reverof says:

I saw that too. They also mentioned that he is now over the flu.
    I hope all of this muck-a-muck isn’t a sign that last year’s dramas will be again visited upon the team.

43. HKisses says:

LMAO…..Thank you well said

44. Habs64 says:

Sheldon Souray, who signed a five-year, $27 million contract in the offseason with the Edmonton Oilers, will not suit up with team for the rest of year, following arthroscopic surgery on his left shoulder late last week

45. Blitzen says:

I’m surprised no one has mentioned this today but yesterday on RDS they were saying that Hamr also has a skin condition that has developed that is making it extremely uncomfortable with his equipment on. Carbo said they were trying to find different types of underwear (I absolutely kid you not) to see if it could alleviate the problem. Carbo was saying that Hamr tried to swim in the ocean a little to see if the salt water would help but that it hadn’t.

I am not making this up.

46. projectpete19 says:

i got the same thing at christmas, i was down for 8 days straight, i have never felt anything like it, it went through my whole family too

47. planet habs says:

seeing Briseby play, makes me want to vomit! I can’t stand this guy. Maybe the zamboni will run himm over!

48. Jonnyboy says:

I agree, this was a hardcore strain. Lets hope no one else gets it.

49. projectpete19 says:

a very good site for tickets is stubhub.com, i would try here before any others

50. Wops says:

Kevin

on the Habs website, they say Hamrlik is playing… scroll down, *Hamrlik de retour*

Who should I believe ;-D
    _______________________________________
    CH is for Chris Higgins

51. tony d says:

Hey Michelle
    In the past, I’ve bid on tickets on Ebay.ca
    also my son and I have been to more games in Buffalo (VS the Habs) cause those ticks were usually easier to get than at the Bell center. But if you want that rock the roof experience, the Bell center’s the place to be (provided the Habs win, when they lose, it’s eerily quiet there)
    another site that has habs ticket sellers is Kijiji.ca (just click the Montreal city and go to tickets)
    hope this helps….unfortunately you’ll be paying about 5X the face value on most of these sites but the Bell center’s a hot commodity
    good luck
    tony

52. idle says:

And where do you think we get these more solid Dman from? Does BG just squat and shit one out?

53. idle says:

Just keep blaming all of our loses on Brisebois and give the rest of the team that dropped eggs all night the free pass.

54. Bean says:

Hi Michelle!

That’s a really cool thing to do for your dad, and I wish you the best of luck! All the games are sold out, with the exception of 200 seats per game that the Canadiens organisation puts aside to give fans a chance to buy tickets throughout the season. The tickets for March and April games go on sale THIS Friday (the 15th) at 10am (you’re just in time!). Here’s the link for info:

They will go FAST, I suggest trying online and on the phone simultaneously if you can. Make an account with admission.com before trying. This’ll be your best bet for tickets at face value.

If this doesn’t work, there are always scalpers out before each game, but you will pay at least double face value. You should also look online, kijiji.ca, craigslist, and Ebay usually list tickets for sale. If you’re on Facebook, there’s tickets for sale on there too.

Here’s a link to the Bell Centre seating chart for help with sections/sightlines:

Good luck!

55. ebk says:

you do know it will happen, though

56. wd40 says:

hi Michelle, I’ve been to a few habs games this year and one place I typically look is on craiglist. I’m not promoting this site, but it’s worked for me in the past and it’s certainly one way for you to see what’s available and what sort of prices they’re fetching.

good luck!

57. G-Man says:

I’d rather go with 5 D. With Streit playing up, rotate him into the D pairings every 3rd go round. This way Breezer sits and Streit gets more ice. Of course, I’d much rather have the Hamr back in the line up, but until then…. FOR GOD’S SAKE CARBO, SIT BREEZER DOWN! There, I said it. I feel better now. OOooooooooommmmmm!

Gilbert

58. habs.since.birth says:

thanks, Scotty! what can i say..he’s my dad, and he passed on this passion for the Habs that’s been with me my whole life and will always remain. It’s the least i can do for him!

59. Scotty90 says:

Hi Michelle.. very nice of you to do that for your dad. I wish I could help you out but I’ve never been to the Bell Centre. Been to the old Forum a lot for Habs and junior Habs games but that is little help to you today. Hope you get the info you need from all your knowledgeable friends on this site…. i’m sure you will!

Regards

60. habs.since.birth says:

oh,i forgot to add, if you wanna reply to my own email instead of on here, please contact me at braea76@hotmail.com
    thanks again, guys!

61. habs.since.birth says:

Guys, off topic, but please look this over…
    Ok…i tried posting this before, but i guess it got lost in cyberspace..
    I am looking for some help here from my Habs friends..
    My dad (he passed the torch on to me) is a die hard Habs fan and always has been. My brother and i have decided that because he has NEVER seen a Habs game and is nearing 70, our mission is to get him to a game, pronto. Now, we would love to be able to take him to Montreal to see his beloved boys in bleu, blanc et rouge. The problem is, because we live in Toronto, we are used to the price of seeing a hockey game being somewhere in the three million dollars a ticket area. I have NO idea how much it costs to see a game at the Bell Centre, what the different sections are like with respect to lines of sight, what the best way is to get tickets, or even if tickets are still available for this season. Soooo, i’m calling on all my Habs friends here for a little help…anybody that lives in Montreal or knows about this stuff, presumably from going to games at the Bell Centre, please help me out. I’m just lookin’ for some info here, so i can do my best to make my dad’s lifelong dream come true…
    Thanks, guys!
    Michelle

62. krob1000 says:

Blame Mark Streit. Dandenault and Begin are rotating along with Tommy K from here on in unless/until we make a move would be my guess. Streit will not sit and unless one of the kids falters that is and should be the reality. Otherwise we sit Ryder and have one of those guys in….I don’t think that is the way to go regardless of how many times we have gone there.

63. krob1000 says:

I am a fan of any Hab who ever hoisted the Stanley Cup above his head. I am even more of a fan of a guy who took on several hundred thousand critics to come back to retire with the organization that gave him his chance and that he loves. I know he is a fill in dman now on this team and so does he. Good luck Patrice ….a couple months to go and you can let that body rest forever.

64. HabsWatcher says:

For the life of me I can not understand why Begin is constantly in and out of the line-up. He play his position well, works his butt off, and plays a physical game. He is a perfect 4th line guy and should be in the line-up every game.

65. habs.since.birth says:

Brisbois in? This is NOT a good sign, friends. Expect many give aways and letting the puck out courtesy of Breezer

66. Bean says:

You mean you haven’t seen the incriminating pictures of Carbo? Well, Breeze has all the copies if you’re curious.

67. jew4jah says:

are markov & komisaurus reunited?

68. Ed says:

Kevin Mio says Kostopoulos and Begin are out, and O’Byrne and Brisebois are in. However, Brisebois played the last game, so that means there has to be someone else in to replace Begin. It has to be Dandenault. He is the only healthy player that was in the press box for the last game.

The boys on Team990 are upset that Kostopoulos in particular, and Begin, are not playing tonight. By the way, the news was on HIO before Team990 reported it. They think it sends a bad message about Kostopoulos, after the purse incident, but I have a feeling that the decision was already made. A look at their records over the last 5 games that they have played, shows they both have zero points, and Kostopoulos is -7, and Begin a -6. These are not exactly figures that will keep you in the lineup, plus these are supposed to be two of our shut down guys.

69. jew4jah says:

i’m just curious. are there any brisebois fans out there? don’t be shy.
    to me, it’s like getting bad news when i see he’s in the line up, and i don’t see that i’m in the minority here either. well for some reason, carbo keeps playing him, and i would love to know why. am i missing something?

70. von says:

Now if only Hammer was healthy and Breezer out, everything would be lovely.

71. showey47 says:

Perhaps being extra cautious?

72. Bean says:

I don’t think this is the regular flu — I know a few people down with a really bad case, seems to be going around, maybe Hammer has a similar bug? The people I know with it are/were all bedridden for at least a week and away from work for two.

Get Well Soon, Hammer! We’re missing you big time back on the D.

73. idle says:

well said vipah

74. the_vipah says:

Hey I get crazy about all sorts of things. Mostly im talking about the people whos only contributions to the board are:

“OMG Brisebois sucks”.
    “Oh Noes! We are gonna lose now what Breezer is in”
    “WTF is that moron Carbo thinking playing that useless twit brisebois!@#$”

etc…

I usually tend to bitch about the Refs :)

Anyways in the end, every single team in this league has a player with an annoying attribute, we happen to have several, lets spread the blame around instead of placing it all at Breezers feet.

75. idle says:

He did it twice. And point out when in the past this has been an issue with him?

76. G-Man says:

The day he retires. How this softie toffee has had a 15 year career is beyond reason. I’ve seen peewees who have better technique taking a slap shot. Sheesh!

Gilbert

77. HKisses says:

So why is everyone bashing him?

78. the_vipah says:

People on here bash Breezer because its popular to do. AKA the “mob” mentality. Another way to describe them would be “complete morons” -or- “drama queens”. Heaven forbid that they should come up with their own conclusions.

Anyone who watched the last game knows Breezer was actually less responsible for the loss then for example:

Cube -3
    Komi -3
    Tom -3

Also, people call Breezer soft? I agree. However Markov is equally soft if not worse. Luckily hes got other attributes that help make up for it.

79. habfan53 says:

Actually whenI did look it upBrisebois was +/-0 so it sure as hell was not his fault.!!!!

80. habfan53 says:

He’s an EASY target.

HKisses – “So why is everyone bashing him?” It’s a HabsInside/Out tradition. Just like saying Carbo can’t coach and Smolinski can’t skate. When the watering hole gets smaller the animals start looking at each other differently. It’s all to do with the mentality of the herd. The real question is who will Habs fans turn against next year when Brisebois and Smokes are gone.

The Original 24 Cups

82. HKisses says:

Seriously…Good question…Glad to ehar im not the onlyy one asking my self why their are such haters here

83. TommyB says:

I don`t think I could be accused of bashing brisebois (you can go back through the posts to verify), but I did watch the game Saturday. In fact, I sat about 50 feet up and behind the Habs net for two periods.

I am not a drama queen, nor a complete moron. I can say that Brisebois had a less than stellar game. Plus-minus stats are not the tell-all of a player`s performance. My pet peeve on Brisebois, and it has been my knock against him all the way back to when he was here the last time, is that he cannot hold the blue line when we have the puck in the opposition`s end. The puck comes to him along the boards and he bobbles it, and lets the opposition fly by him. That`s where his nickname Breezeby comes from. He did this no less than 4 times in Ottawa Saturday night. I don`t care one bit about plus-minus. It`s a useless stat. Watch what a player does on the ice during the game instead of reading the stats in the paper the next day. I wonder how you could not see this as you say you watched the game, and I am pretty sure you don`t refer to yourself as a moron or drama queen….do you!

84. HKisses says:

Sorry to say i was at the Habs game as well, and what i noticed is that everytime their was goal …he wasn’t on the ice… Can you explain?….. Wat i noticed is Komi played like crap…But Breeze was on the ice for the only goal…

85. Corio says:

History really. He is famous for bad passes, giveaways etc.. He is known for being a sloppy player. This year he has been somewhat better but I still cringe when he touches the puck..

86. TommyB says:

I guess you don`t read too well. I never said anything about Brisebois being on the ice or responsible for any goals against. I commented on his inability to hold the blue line, and the irrelevance of plus-minus stats.

87. HKisses says:

Yes i did read ur psot well,because his inability to hold the blue line ddin’t lead to any goals did it?…Sure he has issues with holding the blue line, but if it doesn’t turn into a goal aginst then so be it. Otherwise i don’t see any reason to bash him if he does ok…

88. TommyB says:

The inability to hold the blue line leads to odd-man rushes against you, or on the power play you lose the zone and have to peel back and re-group. Yeah, you`re right…so what, eh! We probably could use two more just like him.

89. HKisses says:

Ok ,but if thats his flaw….then i could jus go and bash Komi and say this guy is f’n slow which leads to odd man rushes as well right?…Honestly man ,i see the things you do as well,but either way we r stuck with him. We just have to deal with the team we have and support them….I just get tired seeing Brreze get bashed 75% of the time on every blog

90. idle says:

The thing about it that gets me is that everyone has been complaining all along about his giveaways or his ‘soft’ play. We hear it over and over. So he has a game in Ottawa where twice he failed to hold the puck in at the blue line on the power play (not too good of course) and now every is talking about how he can never hold the blue line like that has been his problem all along.

My point is that each time he makes a mistake we act like it is a mistake that has plagued his whole career. I can’t remember too many other times that his inability to stop the puck at the blue line has been an issue. If fact I think he is more aggressive at pinching then most of our D and he has been around long enough that he knows when to do it or not. That is one area that I see Obryne needs work at is recognizing when to pinch and not always retreating.

If all you do is focus on one player and wait to find his mistakes and come on here and post the hell out of them then you can make any player look like a sive. Of course there are better players then Breezer but no team is going to have 6 really solid D, just like no team is going to have 9 great offensive players. That is why some players make 5 or 7 million a season and some make 1 or 2.

91. habfan53 says:

I don’t get all the negativity about Brisebois. Is he a Norris candidate of course not but with limited playing time 14-17 minutes he is filling more than adequately the #6 spot on defence.
    Just some comparisons since the beginning of the year.

MARKOV 17 games 2 goals +3(+4 in 1game) 4PIM 25.3 min
    GORGES 17 games 0 goals -4 4PIM 16.47 min
    Brisebois 7 Games 1 Goal -2 4PIM 15.05 min per game.

Has he seen better days? YUP
    Will he retire after this year PROBABLY
    But when no free agents want to come to Montreal and he was BOOED out of town last time I say CUT HIM SOME SLACK

It is not Patrice Brisebois that is going to cost Montreal a cup.

What concerns me is that over the last 3 games (Fortunately I missed Ottawa) the number of times we were not able to keep the puck in the offensivezone on a Power Play The puck always seemed to elude a certain point man.

Anyway “nuf said

92. HKisses says:

Exactly ,seriously it seems to be only me and you that think this way.. If this isn’t a O’byrne bashing Blog, it ahs to be a Brisbois bashing blog..F’n hate it….Look at the stats from last game and tell me who was on the ice for most of the goals …SERIOUSLY look it up….As for Habsfan53I’m with you man stop the Brisbois bashing

93. Chris says:

I think Timo and many others are looking for a trade at the deadline: Brisebois for Whipping Boy to be Named Later.

94. idle says:

I suppose that’s true.

95. vic says:

Brisbois should help tampa bay for 2 goals

96. vic says:

Rangers showed the rest of league how to play Montreal,I hope Carboneau
    will have adjustment for this ,But if they forecheck Brisbois then we are in big trouble .

97. The Kid says:

Brisebois in again? Only God can help us now boys.

98. the Maritimer says:

Another loss, unfortunately.

99. Les-Habitants says:

You can’t relate Beezer being in with TK being out, and Begin had a really poor game. Carbo’s motto of keeping a winning lineup is being put into effect, and unfortunately the guys who have to battle for a spot in the lineup on a regular basis are going to be Dandy, Begin and TK.

In the loss against Ottawa, our checking line was by far the worst line on the ice. If you remember from earlier in the season, the 4th line of Streit-Smokes-Dandy was a really good one.

Breezer is only in until Hammer is 100%…it seems that they really like the size that O’B brings to the team, enough so that they’d rather have Streit playing forward.

Hopefully Carbo will reunite Komi-Markov and Gorges-Cube, leaving OB with Breezer. Will be a good test for the rookie to see whether he can play decently without Hammer watching his back.

100. MatttheHabsFan says:

Someone on ek’s site has said that the charges against O’Bryne have been dropped…not sure how true that is….but hopefully it’ll be the last news about it if it’s true
    Alex Kovalev ~ “I still have four fingers left”

101. Angry Almond says:

For those inquiring minds…

The over/under for tonight’s number of purses thrown on the ice is 7. Bets?

Music is the best. FZ

102. HKisses says:

Go post this 2 blogs Under………

103. RH says:

What better way for O’Byrne to atone for his incident, than to go out and prove WHY he belongs on this team. Or, at the very least, why he belongs in the NHL. The Habs need a strong game from the D and, he’s the one that’s going to help them. He brings toughness and grit and will take some pressure off of Komisarek. THAT is what the Habs need right now.

104. HABZ 24 says:

oh no not breeze by, deff loss if that bumms in.

105. tony d says:

sending get well wishes to Roman…. hurry back,please!!!!!
    Brisebois in?? yikes and oy vey
    O’Byrne….. tonight’s the night to step up and silence the critics
    Go Habs Go

106. krob1000 says:

That was quick….I literally just asked this and Voila….thans guys. Too bad about Hammer….that is very bad news ….I wonder how much better he can possibly be by tomorrow too. I guess that means Ryder plays….good. I am curious to see if they leave Koivu with Higgy and Ryder(I assume that is the plan?) or if they mix it up though. O.B should help offset Hammer’s loss froma physical standpoint although he is young and light years from Hammer’s hockey IQ at this stage.

107. Dave Stubbs says:

There will never be a shortage of Canadiens game-related news on this site. That said, the O’Byrne/Kostopoulos story deserved a day-after follow-up. We’ve given it that, people have discussed it, and we’ll continue to follow it as the news warrants.

Now, on to two important games in Florida.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

108. Woah_Dana says:

For eff sakes.. Get Hamrlik some damn antibiotics so Breezeby can sit!

GO HABS!
    ~Sergei Kostitsyn, marry me!!

109. habsgod says:

i agree get hamrlik some antibiotics !i’m getting sick from seeing brisebois play!!

110. idle says:

For the same reason that you won’t stop bringing it up I guess. Have you tried getting a hobby?

111. krob1000 says:

Let’s sort this out……Does this mean our fourth line is Dandy, Streit and Smolinski. That could mean a reuniting of the kid line and Koivu’s line. Anyone got any clues???