O’B traded

AUDIO from Boston: Ryan O’Byrne | Jacques Martin | Hal Gill

Ryan O’Byrne has been traded to Colorado for Michaël Bournival.

The deal takes O’B’s $941,667 cap hit off the Canadiens’ books.

Bournival is an 18-year-old centre from Shawinigan who was Colorado’s third-round choice, 71st overall, in the 2010 draft.

He’s 6′, 190 lbs and shoots Left.

In his first season with the Cataractes, Bournival scored 11 goals and added 11 assists in 46 games. Last season, his production jumped to 24 goals and 38 assists.

Through 17 games in the Q this season, Bournival has 10 goals and 14 assists.

Video scout Jarred Friedman found a highlight reel

52h3lpEShwM

From Buzzing the Net:

He’s not the most well-known name in the Q.

But
Bournival, off to a hot start with 24 points in 17 games, turned in a
solid all-around game, hustling both ways and scoring a goal. Playing on
a line with a pair of 2011 NHL draft prospects in Jonathan Huberdeau
and captain Sean Couturier, Bournival one-timed home a nice setup from
Huberdeau to put QMJHL ahead 3-2 in the second period.

“He hasn’t
been on the radar a whole lot but everybody has the same opinion of him,
he’s just an excellent hockey player,” veteran scout Kevin Prendergast said. “He’s not
great at anything, but he’s good at everything. I think we’ll probably
want to have a look and see if he’s versatile. Can he play the wings as
(well) as playing centre too? We think the centre situation is going to
be taken, but he’s got the kind of hockey sense and the grit that we
think he has a chance to maybe be part of the camp.”

Hockey’s Future says:

Possesses the ability to play in all three zones and a no-quit, win at
any cost attitude.  Bournival might not be the most talented player
available, but his work ethic and dedication will help ensure that he
becomes a viable NHL prospect.

Gotta like that.

1. Storm Man says:

Rabbit the HIO pundit, Mr No Objectivity, The Analysis “Du Jour” . Don’t be upset with me as more and more people on here see you for who you are. The oxygen must be running a little low for you today.

2. MTLForever says:

yes out 3 months

3. Mark C says:

Per Capgeek, I think you are right, only if/when he gets added to the Bulldogs roster does his cap number come off Montreal’s books.

4. Bugs says:

I never said that.

Not only do you defend yourself by radically changing the subject just so you can jab me, but you fabricate your jab as well. (consider the child Stormy who’s come to support you in this endeavour; it’s his favourite means of rhetoric)

Habs SHOULD’VE kept Halak. Halak is better than Price. Price is fantastic. Halak is sensational.

Or at least, gotten equal return. We didn’t get equal return.

So to recap: preferring a goalie who scores 97% on the test over another who scores 96% on the test and wanting EQUAL return on a deal means I’m stupid and you’re a superhero, right?

Because the smart thing to do is to keep the goalie who’s a liiiiitle less good and to give away a num1 goalie for an AHLer, yes? That’s really, really smart and if I don’t see that, that’s just my stupid, stupid problem, right Double-H?

(shakes head)

Ok, mate; I’m sorry.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

5. Propwash says:

Could you imagine!

I’d LOVE to see Parise in a Habs uniform, won’t ever happen though.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

6. gregg says:

Actually i believe that because he cleared waivers but was not sent down, he remains on the habs roster and on the cap. I`m not 100% on this however.

If it were as easy as putting players on waivers to get rid of the contract, Gomez and Spacek probably would have been there a while ago.

7. Storm Man says:

The post of the year to this point. Glad you point out the Halak sheep herder.

8. CharlottetownHabbies says:

He also had a penchant for strangers purses……

Let us know when you give up your membership to the Habs should’ve kept Halak or at least been able to get a top 6 forward in return crowd.

10. Storm Man says:

Is he not on the IR?

11. Bugs says:

Ferpetessakes, Double-H, what’s with the snark all of a sudden? This wasn’t you.

What’s happened to you?

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

12. Bugs says:

He had four years, mate…

C’mon.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

13. Rugger says:

Hello Lou, we are clearing cap space so you can send Parise our way!

I am happy about the trade too but for different reasons. I am happy because the Habs clear up cap space and get a decent prospect for their 8th defensemen depth-wise. Have fun at ObiInsideOut.

15. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

Its League orders, not player creativity. Just sayin’you can’t say a guy is a class act because he does what the league and/or team told him to do.

“When I was a baby I wish my first word had been “QUOTE”, then right before I die I could say “UNQUOTE” – Stephen Wright

16. TripleX says:

I am actually happy about the trade.  O’Byrne finally gets to play a game.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

17. Bugs says:

Well, Jack Marty can get us to the ECF. That’s not too bad.

If he can do that, I can live with the other stuff.

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

18. Mark C says:

And Halak in the 9th round! Montreal did well to get what they did out of O’Byrne as 3rd round picks are a real toss up.

19. habitual says:

Subban is a star who has played well since his first game, and who will develop under the auspicies of the three stooges.

Pleks line is clearly feeling the effects of AK off of it and if you had been watching, he isn’t scoring anywhere near like he was with Pleks.

Gionta playing better? He has one goal since joining that line.

20. matraque says:

All 1st Stars throws puck in the crowd.  That’s a new thing.

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

Where have you been lately, like the last 3 months? I’ve been so cheery these days people think the real HH has been kidnapped and replaced with an impostor!!!

22. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

Oh please…that stuff is coreographed by the team not the player. Just like AK throwing the pucks to the crowd.

23. Storm Man says:

Where on the world map is this Colarado place?

24. habfan53 says:

AK and Laps were also drafted in 2003 10th and 61st overall

I am sure you’ll be bringing us daily reports.

26. Corporate says:

Thanks you for the post. For once a positive one.

27. ctony says:

Sorry to disappoint you, but I agree with you verbatum

28. Corporate says:

Um… Let us see what you havae said.

He can’t develop younger players?.Well Subban is doing a bang up job. Eller isn’t playing that bad either considering he is getting limited ice time. As for struggling vets, He put Kostitsyn with Gomez to spice up the line. Kostitsyn is still playing a decent game but the Gomez cheesy passes have to stop. So until Gomez hmself realizes that he is the problem, nothing will change. as for Gionta, he has been playing better since he has been with Pleks.

You need to massage your Habs spot. It appears to be sore.

30. adamkennelly says:

anyone even mentioning Bill Guerin needs to give their head a shake.  If PG actually makes that move it will prove he has no idea what he is doing.  Guerin is too old and too slow- period.  Good news is that our team record means there is no need to panic.  There are teams out there with CAP issues – I would assume PG is talking to them.

31. habfan53 says:

That is the BAD news  Montreal has FAILED to develop any draft choice in the last 5 years. Price in playing well this year inspite of the Canadiens not because of them it was will learning to rodeo that he changed his practice routine last summer.

On Defence only Subban was drafted by Montreal, (2007) and up front AK, Laps were drafted in 2003 and Plekanecs in 2001.

That is a total of 5 drafted players on their roster

32. TripleX says:

Respectfully disagree Mr. Boone.  He was mishandled and his confidence destroyed in Montreal.  We always talk about potential and greater upside of players in Montreal.  Well O’Byrne has way more of both than Picard.  Watch O’Byrne become the player some of us always believed he could be in Colorado.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

33. rgallagher says:

A few thoughts…

• I’m guessing he’s closser to 5’10” than 6’1″ players/teams always exagerate their height;
    • Reading some Bios and scouting reports on him, it appears he plays bigger than his size and has some offencive pottectial based on what he’s done in the Q
    • This clears up some much needed cap space (what are they doing about Boyd?)
    • Contrary to what some others here believe I don’t think this is another failure in bringing along a good prospect.  He’s way too nervous with the puck and often found himself out of position.  For a big man that is a fatal flaw in the league now, he just doesn’t have the speed to save himself when he finds himself in a those situations.  He was given a fair chance and the numbers worked against him in Montreal.
    • He may very well develop into a solid defensive defenseman but they are easier to find and trade for than a gritty forward who plays hard and can score.

This is a good pick up and we won’t miss him much with the guys we have now and in Hamilton.

34. Matthew says:

I truly hope he does well with Colorado as he is class act all around. What classy gesture it was to give his jersey to Butch Bouchard right before his number was retired…

35. ctony says:

I fault management constantly about not developing picks.  But I think OB had a fair chance.  He played 14-15 minutes per game, 30-50 games a year for the past three years and didn’t seem to develop.  He’s a 5,6,7 defenseman making $1m.

A  top pick rookie like Tinordi counts less than that and older veterans (like Picard) can be  signed for less.  In a salary cap world, it doesn’t make  of sense to keep him on the roster whether his plays or sits.

This was a good, thoughtful deal.

I am very impressed with the stable of prospects the Habs are assembling. It’s good to see the positive posters point out the obvious:

1) French Canadian prospect, not under 6 feet tall, point per game player, competitor

2) Habs clear up cap space

A win tonight and I’ll be having a beatific vision.

Oh yeah. Forgot to mention:

3) The Habs are Smurfs crowd are up in arms. I wonder what Xtra has to say about this?

37. WestHab says:

Yep. OB had to get a full time spot beofre PK made his way up. The clock ran out.

38. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

WOW, I didn’t realise that.

39. WarHero says:

Totally agree :)

——
    Follow Anthony on: Twitter & Ottawa 67s Fan hub & HockeyBuzz

40. habitual says:

So, Martin can’t develop younger players, and he can’t do anything with struggling vets …

Exactly what is it that Martin can do?

Having broken the chemistry of Plec’s line, our best line now is Halperin, Darche, and Pouliot  …

41. WestHab says:

It”s not enough to be just big anymore. What OB had in size he lacked in speed. That’s where Picard out played OB. I like Ryan and I hope he gets a spot where he plays most nights.

42. Say Ash says:

Good to know…

43. Mark C says:

Boyd contract is currently off the cap.

44. Mike Boone says:

O’B is a fine fellow. But he’s a third-round draft choice who keeps making the same mistakes and taking the same dumb and ill-timed penalties. He was projected as Mike Komisarek’s replacement and never lived up to that hope. Alexandre icard is a better, more reliable and cheaper seventh Dman.

45. CrashTheNetCrashTheNet says:

PLOP…the sound of the other shoe dropping.

46. Corporate says:

Well… Let’s see…

Halak, Price, Plekanec, Lapierre, Pyatt, A. Kos… Not too bad… Now there are gambles and I admit we have dropped the ball on a few occasions. But O’Byrne this year was the 6th or 7th Defenceman and it was his to lose. He lost it to Picard. So you now what, we are better off him leaving than having a player on the sidelines that doesn’t play.

47. Hockey Socks says:

I don’t think they’ve decided yet if they want to send him down to Hamilton or not.

48. Mark C says:

If it makes you feel any better only Colin Fraser, Dan Carcillo, Clarke MacArthur, Alex Picard, and Zach Stortini have played in more NHL games than O’Byrne has from his draft round (3rd in 2003). Picard and Stortini were the only ones picked after O’Byrne.

49. BJT says:

Haunt us how? Will this push the Avs. over the top so they beat us in the cup finals this year? And who do you think we should’ve subbed off for him so he can “develop properly”? Subban? Markov? Spacek? Hamr? Gorges? Gill? I think not.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

50. shiram says:

So what was that post 6 minutes ago??

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

51. gumper says:

But think of how long it took Gill to stop being “pylon who plays for the Leafs”, to learn his limitations and play within them. Would you have that much patience to wait for Rhino to arrive at that point?

52. habfan53 says:

Before saying anything I will wait to see (hear) what Patrick Roy has to say

53. ooder says:

and Picard

——————

88 is the new 23

54. PureGuava says:

They’ll shoot you if you’re caught stealing a purse in Colarado…

55. Habfan29 says:

Agree, OB never got a fair shake with the Habs, I think that this deal will come back to haunt us. If he had been give the opportunity to play more often I believe that he would have been a top 6 D-man with the habs. Poor development once again by the habs. I don’t know about you but I am sick of this crap with the habs…..

56. gumper says:

Ya gotta think this is as much about clearing cap space as it is about stocking the farm system. Pg now has (potentially, depending on what happens to Boyd) an extra 2 million to play with that he didn’t have last week.

57. samTHEman says:

With Boyd waived and OB traded, could they be clearing up some space to sign a top 6 winger? Guerin?

By the way, is Boyd’s contract still counting against the cap?

58. HabFanSince72 says:

Have you ever actually seen O’Byrne play? Zdeno Chara he ain’t.

And he’s not a prospect anymore. Remember, O’Byrne is actually older than Josh Gorges.

59. forskis says:

I tend to agree….I had him pegged as the team’s eventual Hal Gill replacement…I just hope that this does not mean that Tinordi gets rushed.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

60. shiram says:

Well then the good news is that they get another chance at developping a prospect with this Bournival kid!

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

61. habfan53 says:

Although not unexpected I feel this is another failure by the Canadiens to developpe a draft pick.

62. ooder says:

is he 6″1, 5″10 or 5″11 everywhere i go i see different stats for his height

——————

88 is the new 23

63. BJT says:

Imagine having him, Leblanc, and Gallagher on the WJ team this year. That would be amazing, I don’t think I’ve ever seen more than 1 Habs prospect on the team at any time before.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

64. shiram says:

I dont know that Bournival kid, but hopefully that will give some ice time ot OB, and he can blossom elsewhere maybe.

And we get a french prospect back, so thats pretty good, for the media at least.

Another center though…

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

65. TripleX says:

Montreal will regret this deal I think.  O’Byrne is the big physical Dman who will drop the gloves that Montreal has needed for years.  Hope the Montreal backend stays healthy.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

66. boneheadslanger33 says:

Should have traded him for Halak…

67. Propwash says:

All the best Rhino!

68. thebigguy says:

Classy move. Obyrne was no longer getting a shot here. Considering the 7 defencemen we have in the NHL plus the players we got in the AHL. Glad they gave him his shot elsewhere.

69. BJT says:

So this is pretty much Tom Pyatt V2, then?

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

70. WestHab says:

looks like the new guy has gorw 2 inches and gained 13 lbs since the nhl.com info. But he still shoots left.

71. Chuck says:

O’Byrne’s first clue should have been when they were shooting the team photo and the photographer kept telling him to back up.

Centre Hice: NHL to allow ads on jerseys

72. nick says:

Just did some quick searches for this guy…

* Michael Bournival
        * Left Wing
        * Height: 5-11
        * Weight: 179
        * Shoots: Left
        * Born: May 31, 1992 – Shawinigan, Quebec
        * Draft: 2010 – 3rd round (71st overall) by the Colorado Avalanche

Buzzing the Net states hes off to a great start:

Hockey Prospects says this about the guy:

Possesses the ability to play in all three zones and a
    no-quit, win at any cost attitude.  Bournival might not be the most
    talented player available, but his work ethic and dedication will help
    ensure that he becomes a viable NHL prospect.

Quick note added. Hockey Prospects rates Bourninval at 6.5B. The same site lists Pyatt at 6.0B and White at 6.5B.