Milestone for Rynbend atop Habs therapy machine

screen-capture

Canadiens head athletic therapist Graham Rynbend (right) with assistant Nick Addey-Jibb in the team’s Bell Centre clinic last Tuesday afternoon.
Marie-France Coallier

Two-part feature on Canadiens head athletic therapist Graham Rynbend, who on Tuesday night will mark his 1,000th game in the NHL – all with the Canadiens.

Rynbend marks his 1,000th game, all with the Canadiens
How Habs’ ultra-pro medical team jumped into action to aid of Pacioretty

A great quote from Graham when I asked him whether he and his medical team are now doing more repair work than preventive work with the players:

‘We’re definitely doing a lot of body work and patching up, there are a lot of dents and bumps and bruises we’re dealing with. Guys are breaking down more. It’s time for an oil change because they’ve put the mileage in. We have a lot of guys with muscle strains, sorenesses and pains and aches that go with already having played 70-plus games. We’re kind of doing a bit of preventive work because we don’t want them to totally beak down, patching them up and trying to maintain their intensity level to participate at a high level of play.”

1. WestHab says:

bonne match …

2. geo_habsgo says:

I don’t like the thumbs up/down addition anymore. It was fun for a couple of hours but I realize that it brings out my inner troll and I just thumbs people down for the fun of it.
    I liked it better before when the only way to show that we disagreed was to engage in (mostly) rational conversation.
    Ho hum maybe this little rant is because i dont like getting my feelings hurt when i see how many people disagree with me with thumbs down…

…or maybe it’s because I know that I am NEVER gonna win the thumbs up contest. The internet is a scary place.

• WestHab says:

I like the thumbs so far. Somtimes I’m too lazy too post. Soz I at least get to vote on something. But what?! I can’t vote on my own comment…waz wit dat?

3. newbrunswick troy says:

tsn has aday in the life special with hal gill…on tsn2….has anyone seen these specials? what ones did i miss

Our Team Injuries
    Think about it for a moment. How come so many and often?

Well here it is, and it is quite simple to explain. Most injuries occur on the defensive side of the game, back checking, fore checking, keeping the offensive team to the outside, blocking shots, standing players up crossing our blue line and keeping the front of the net clear.

Many ways to receive body punishment playing J. Martin’s defensive style of game.

Holding the opposition to few goals every night, playing defensive hockey requires a lot of body sacrifice. It is a system that works, but you better have a lot of bodies in reserve, and we do indeed.

Success comes with great sacrifice. And it takes a very professional medical team, coaches and management to keep it all together.
    They are doing one hell of a job.! RIGHT!

5. rated_R says:

Thumbs up if it’s gonna be a perfect night! Devils beating Bs in and Habs beating Sabres

6. Chuck says:

“So think about that, if even for a second, when you think that anyone is dogging it now.”

Read between the lines, and you can pretty much figure out who Stubbs is talking about.

7. jpsh34 says:

Is just me or does it seem that there is a lot more trolls here since switching to “Hockey” insideout. Seems like the switch has stemmed the free exchange of conversations , thoughts and meaningful facts or points and been replaced by meaningless jabs and people who are merely competing for stupid thumbs down/up!! Move to yahoo!answers if that’s your goal!

8. ooder says:

hey guys.. the nhl is doing a ultimate leader competition.. vote for our captain Brian Gionta
    ultimateleader.nhl.com
    ——————
    GWG = game winning gionta!

9. Mark C says:

Habs signed Joe Stejskal from Dartmouth to a two year deal, he will be reporting to the Bulldogs. Here’s to hoping he has a little Nash in him.

10. C_Hand says:

Gomez will have an awesome game tonight. BOOK IT!

11. Bugs says:

Picture looks familiar…

Chillin like MacMillan, potty-boy says he’s L. B. Potter, esq.

• Dave Stubbs says:

At least the stories will be original, Bugs. Exclusive, even.

Dave Stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out
      Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
      • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

• Say Ash says:

Oh, snap!

• J.J. of Turku says:

Brilliant picture. I almost coughed coffee to my laptop. Can’t stop laughing! what’s wrong with me… :D

• Bugs says:

“Exclusive” seems to mean “getting the clichés right from the horse’s mouth” more and more often these days. Nothing to do with you; just sayin, but…our stories aren’t original???
        Oh, Stubby, you hurt me with that one…

Chillin like MacMillan, potty-boy says he’s L. B. Potter, esq.

• Dave Stubbs says:

No, Bugs, “exclusive” in this case means speaking alone in a timely fashion with the subject whose trust has been gained over many years, to profile a very humble 1,000-game Canadien, one of the unsung heros on this team, and writing a second piece on how the Habs’ medical team moved into action to the aid of Max Pacioretty – how nine guys surrounded Pacioretty in a choreographed ballet that had been rehearsed in case such a ballet was required to save a man’s life. No clichés, sorry.

Dave Stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out
          Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
          • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

• C_Hand says:

Wham Bam thank you ma’am

• Say Ash says:

Oh, you’re in the zone today, Stubbie.

• Bugs says:

More and more often clichéd the exclusive part, I said, not always. That’s what I said and with the advent of better and faster modern communications networks, surely you cannot deny it. Certainly not what I was implying by saying we’d used that picture during the Flyer series but whatever.
            We know that not having the level of credentials on your press-pass as you do, our methods need be more sneaky and may not hold the same validity as one published by your esteemed publication. No surprise there.
            But it was the “original” part that I actually disputed, Stubby, cuz whatever folks have been saying about us over the years, let me assure you that “unoriginal” wasn’t one of’em.

Chillin like MacMillan, potty-boy says he’s L. B. Potter, esq.

• LA Loyalist says:

Thanks for a great story – while you’re on the topic – some of the young’uns (though it was not that long ago…) may not know about the young Hab who had his throat smashed in a game, forgive me for not remembering the names, but the Canadiens doctor did a tracheotomy (or some such heroic procedure) out on the ice and saved the player’s life, I believe. Isn’t that worth re-posting? Those guys don’t get enough credit.

Thanks for all the good work.

• Dave Stubbs says:

Bugs: No harm, no foul.

Dave Stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out
          Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
          • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

• Bugs says:

Actually, Stubby, I realize upon rereading that you meant to say that, as opposed to the PICTURE, your story would be “original”, and not as opposed to my and my bro’s SITE.
            Which is what I originally understood.
            Forgive my confusion, sir.

Chillin like MacMillan, potty-boy says he’s L. B. Potter, esq.

• HFX-HabFan says:

Bugs, questioning the journalistic integrity of Stubbs?

Unbelievable. Especially considering that Bugs’ “blog” is nothing but poorly-written, made-up nonsense.

• Ian Cobb says:

Things are coming along Dave, I was in a fog starting out, but I’m in a fog most of the time.
        One thing though, Are we going to be able to click on and see others PROFILE and contact info to e-mail through the site like we had before.?

Thanks

12. Rudy says:

Really looking forward to this article. Mr. Rynbend has been busier this year with all sorts of different injuries. It will be interesting to hear about his season.

13. Cookies says:

Hope for the team to be up and running smoothly. Best cure is prevention in terms of injuries.

I mentioned this a couple of days ago, here it is again;
    We will witness less injuries next season if everything goes according to plan with the readjustments in the Bell Centre arena.

Cheers :)

• samTHEman says:

The only injury that the readjustments in the Bell centre would of avoided is Pacioretty’s. The other injuries are accidents that happen on open-ice, blocking a shot, pulling a groin, injuring a knee on the boards (Markov, Cammalleri), etc

• Cookies says:

Oh nono, the Patches injury was unavoidable no matter what present NHL arena it played in.

Readjustments in terms of changing the boards, tempered glass to plexiglass (I think) and other minor touch ups that, even the players have said, would wear and tear a little less than the current state of the arena.