Non-Olympic Habs get back on the ice in Brossard (with video)

While Team Canada was wrapping up its heart-stopping 2-1 Olympic quarterfinal win over Latvia Wednesday in Sochi, the Olympic vacation was coming to an end for Canadiens players who weren’t at the Games.

The non-Olympic Canadiens hit the ice in Brossard Wednesday afternoon for the first time since a 4-1 victory over the Hurricanes on Feb. 8 in Carolina that extended their winning streak to three games.

Alex Galchenyuk (photo above), who had been sidelined since breaking his hand on Jan. 6, was on the ice Wednesday and looks ready to play, as does Travis Moen, who was sidelined with a lower-body injury. Davis Drewiske, who has yet to play this season while recovering from a shoulder injury, was absent from the practice for family reasons, while Michael Bournival didn’t skate because he is still suffering from concussion-like symptoms.

“It’s my first practice with the team and I feel that I’m on the right path,” Galchenyuk told reporters in Brossard after practice. “I am still looking to get more speed and flexibility back into my hand, which would help me on moves like toe-drags, since I was in a cast for three weeks. The movements have to become natural again.”

With seven players in Sochi – Carey Price, P.K. Subban, Max Pacioretty, Andrei Markov, Alexei Emelin, Tomas Plekanec and Peter Budaj – the Canadiens needed to recruit some players for the practice. The goalies were former Hab Jocelyn Thibault and former minor-leaguer Martin Houle, while former Habs defenceman Patrice Brisebois laced up his skates along with strength-and-conditioning coach Pierre Allard.

“I’d really like to thank (general manager Marc Bergevin) for giving me this opportunity,” Brisebois, who was part of the Canadiens’ last Stanley Cup winner in 1993 and now works in player development for the Habs, told reporters after practice.

The Canadiens will continue to practise in Brossard with a depleted lineup through Saturday. They will enjoy a day off Sunday and the entire team should be on hand by next Tuesday at the latest.

The Canadiens will play their first post-Olympic game next Wednesday, when the Detroit Red Wings visit the Bell Centre. The Habs will be in Pittsburgh the next night to face the Penguins.

If you’re in need of a non-Olympic hockey fix, the Hamilton Bulldogs will be at the Bell Centre Friday night to play the Binghamton Senators in a 7:30 p.m. start.

The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell spent some time in Hamilton during the Olympic break. Below is a link to her article on Hamilton’s Big Three on defence – Nathan Beaulieu, Jarred Tinordi and Greg Pateryn – as well as a video shot during a Bulldogs practice.

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

Habs enlist Thibault, Brisebois to fill out practice roster, by Pat Hickey

Hamilton’s Big Three developing on blue line for Habs, by Brenda Branswell

Habs Notebook, Canadiens.com

Mike Boone’s take on Canada vs. Latvia game, Postmedia News

Complete Olympic hockey coverage, Postmedia News

1. 25 Stanley Cups says:

The definition of a Bully, is to try to control or intimidate with fear.

What do you think you are trying to cause another to feel when you say the word TROLL to them.

Exactly that, you want to bully that individual into submission, for his opinion is not of mine.

Bullies are people in fear of others, something to think about also.

The overuse of the word Troll, as it pertains to someone’s views you don’t agree with on this site is perverse.

How many posters here are part of the boys club, who feel a sense of entitlement to begin with, that it’s their responsibility to control others comments or views, and bully them for it.

Many particular bullies seem to think someone expressing an opinion that differs from the boys club, is considered below them. First off, who are you. Are you a judge, or a fan. Are you someone that feels is your responsibility to control, change, or set others straight. Were you given the book on what is fact, and what’s not. Or do you just have an opinion like anyone else.

Seems what the bigger problem than someone saying – whatever they want to say – is people like yourself and many others from this boys club, attacking others for it. You, nor anyone on earth are going to change someone else’s opinion. So either respect and debate, or move along. Bullying is not the answer, your not going to bully someone into thinking like yourself. NEVER has happened, and never will. So take the advice of much wiser posters then yourself, and walk past the comment if you feel like “reacting” instead of responding.

The bullies MO has always been to control. So I ask again who are you?

Regardless of your opinion, we are all equal here, perhaps only in your ego, do you feel you’re the voice of reason over others.

Get a job in politics, and stop standing behind your own computer, and leave it to the MODERATORS to sort what they think is acceptable or not. If you need to feel the urge to control, move along.

Stop the chain, let others say what they want, its not your responsibility, and that goes to all the boys club members. Your fans with opinions, nothing more then the rest, park your egos.

Whenever I hear the word Troll from now on I will think of that poster as a BULLY!

GO CANADA, GO HABS

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

I know what you mean by the boys club here. Respectful comments and opinions should be allowed and healthy debate should be encouraged. New blood and new perspectives should be welcome. Calling troll all the time is annoying and bullying. I do admit it is hard to read Leaf Fan comments on here for example but this is an open forum afterall and we are not alone on this site. Leaf fans aside though some good posters here are sometimes hammered for thoughts that maybe run against the group think here. Again it is an open site and usually not a bad place to visit.

24 cups and counting….

2. Ron says:

Prust not at practice today D to D with upper body injury. When in hell did he get this, last night at home ?

3. boing007 says:

Canada’s female hockey players play tougher than their male counterparts.

Richard R

4. jols says:

Looking ahead to July 5th – Matt Moulson or Thomas Vanek ?

I know we will probably end up with neither but if we had a choice, which one would you like to see a Hab.

5. habs001 says:

The USA forwards overall are not that imposing but their gritty forwards can cause trouble…some Canadian forwards have to step up and not be super soft…The roster talent favours Canada by a good margin but the forwards for Canada have looked liked the typical 15 to 40 point NHL player that gets lots of chances but has trouble finishing…

6. Chuck is a Canuck, and he is also going to go for the gold medal in the event of "longest nickname ever posted on Hockey Inside-Out, just to see how long of a nickname you can input before the hamsters explode" says:

Has MB called Garth Snow yet?

7. BJ says:

Anyone else starting to get Habs withdrawal symptoms. Can’t wait for the next fix.

8. jayvanni says:

Don’t know if it’s been posted yet but Tavares’ season is over:

• ClutchNGrab says:

It has been, he was the leading scorer of my fantasy team. I’m really angry right now. Had to trade him with Nugent-Hopkins for Crosby and Nick Foligno. Very sad day for me, and maybe him and the islanders, but mainly for me.

9. ClutchNGrab says:

Some hockey betting going on:

The White House ‏@WhiteHouse
    .@pmharper and I bet on the women’s and men’s US-Canada hockey games. Winner gets a case of beer for each game. #GoTeamUSA! -bo

Stephen Harper ‏@pmharper
    I’m betting @barackobama one case of Canadian beer per hockey game this week. #teamusa is good, but #WeAreWinter. #GoCanadaGo @WhiteHouse

10. Phil C says:

The Americans are better on the wings, that’s it, every other position I think the Canadians are better. The American defensemen are mobile but not big, so they could have trouble with Canada’s cycle game. The first goal will be huge. Can’t wait!

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi phil

I may be wrong, yet the cycle game is so far from the net on the big ice that it doesn’t appear to have the same impact as it does in the NHL game.
      Maybe it will with the 4 remaining better teams.
      We’ll see…

• Phil C says:

I think that is a fair observation. However the big ice offers more room for cycling behind the net. If Canada can maintain possession across the blueline, get it low and grind their defense down low and in front of the net, the American D will have their hands full, especially with the Getzlaf line. I am predicting a bit of a chess match tomorrow, so little things like this can make a difference.

11. Habfan10912 says:

I dare anyone to look at the picture of Galchenyuk and not get excited for his return. Chucky is coming back and he’s going to instantly make this team better. He’s exactly what was missing.

Smile and wave!

12. TMan1969 says:

Hello,

I would love to see PK big minutes in the Olympics but they have enough big dmen there – it would be like having 7 Gretzky’s but only being able to play 6…even Hamhuis is playing ahead of PK, I think that’s okay because for the amount of minutes he get – he might as well be sitting in the stands. He’ll come back energized and ready to play because he wants to prove just how good he is…I take the positive road here because it’s Team Canada, the key word being Team and even Babcock said “PK is a professional…” meaning he’s accepted his role and will contribute when they need him…that’s the PK I see but then I again I’m always wearing my Canadiens beer googles.. :) Go CANADA Go!

“If I knew the answer to that I’d bet $10,000 on the game and retire from coaching.”
    —Montreal Canadiens coach Toe Blake after being asked if his team would win an upcoming game

13. bwoar says:

So wait, Gorges can pump Price’s tires but has a big fat “NO COMMENT” on Subban? Geez what a limp noodle. That’s just… shabby. Shabby is what it is.

“On a team that’s relying on D to score, they aren’t playing PK freakin’ Subban. WTF” I think that’s what you meant to say, Capt. Josh.

AGH!!

This is so silly!!!
      He can’t pump PK’s tires because he hasn’t been playing!
      He’s supposed to say that the coach is wrong?

And how did “It’s not easy to play when you don’t face a lot of shots” pumping Price’s tires? Or “he’s good at staying in the moment”?

This place is worse than a bloody knitting club sometimes…

• DoopsyDiddler says:

” he’s good at staying in the moment” sounds like a line from a romantic comedy. Starring Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston.

• bwoar says:

Heh I knew that would bug you.

You should know by now I take every opportunity to crap on Josh Overpaid Gorges. I just don’t care for him and guys with his style of play making that much money are a big part of what’s broken in the NHL salary structure.

Why I oughta…

It’s hardly his fault that teams are willing to pay him so much, though.
          I get paid way too much for what I do, but my boss thinks it’s a good idea.

• Ozmodiar says:

I think those knitting club members would be pretty upset if Gorges suggested that coach Babcock might be wrong. :)

14. Maritime Ronn says:

Not a huge fan of women’s hockey (sorry… :-) ) yet you just have to love the spirit of Team Canada

@TSNRyanRishaug:
    Wickenheiser re: USA “Sometimes you do wish there was hitting and fighting because you have to contain your emotions”

• Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

Why aren’t you a fan of women’s hockey?

• Maritime Ronn says:

matty

Different people like different sports.
        Nothing new there.

Perhaps some would say they don’t like women’s golf or NASCAR or NFL…or NBA ( don’t like that either)…so be it.
        As for women’s golf, I followed both Annika Sorenstam and Nancy Lopez at different tourneys and they were more than worth their price of admission…as is Paula Creamer, but not for the same reasons.

15. jols says:

Boy, for a team that hasn’t lost a game yet, Canada really sucks according to many of you. If they lose tomorrow or in the finals against Sweden/Finland then bring out the pitch forks and crap all over the coaches and players. I’m sure many are hoping and eagerly anticipating this happening so they can say ” I told you so”. But till they lose a game can’t we stay a little positive?

• Cal says:

I am positive Team Canada is playing boring shit hockey. Happy?

• Maritime Ronn says:

jols

I may catch some flak here, yet here’s hoping for a great ‘hockey’ game and both Carey and Max play well.
      I love the game – love Canada, yet over the years, have come to realise that misplaced or manipulated nationalism may sometimes cause more problems than it solves…in general.

• jols says:

I have no “misplaced or manipulated nationalism”, I was just pointing out that we played 4 games and won them all. Reading most comments on here you would think we went 0-4. They haven’t played their best but they have done what is needed to win and there is no reason to be negative until they actually lose a game.

16. arcosenate says:

Babcock is really starting to bother me, they can’t score and they’re leaving one of their best offensive players and Norris winner in Subban in street clothes.

I guess the term no-brainer definitely applies in more than one way to coach Babcock.

17. Maritime Ronn says:

Great stuff Jennifer Jones.
    Must be a great feeling to know your team is the best in the world in the sport you do.

18. Sportfan says:

Jennifer Jones and Team Canada win gold in the women’s curling, going undefeated during the Olympic tournament.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• huge_polar_bear says:

Unbelievable achievement to run the table the whole tournament. Some Olympic magic going on in Sochi, hope team Canada rides the wave till the end of the Olympics. Two more gold medal matches already guaranteed (men-curling and women-hockey). Hopefully there will be a 3rd one on Sunday. Go Canada Go!

19. petefleet says:

Here’s what’s wrong with Team Canada (from my living room):
    You can’t have a team of 20 minute/game guys for all of your forwards and 25 minute/game guys on defense. These guys all need that time to perform and if they don’t get it they don’t.
    It amazes me that a guy like Yzerman can put a team together like this when he played on one of the most dominant teams of the last 2 decades himself. The Wings didn’t have a team of superstars, just a good group of guys in all positions who were good at their job with their allotted time on the ice. You need guys who can carry the play and guys who can slow it down. You need guys who can shoot the puck and guys who can block it. You need guys who can go into the corner and come out with the puck (sorely lacking right now). You need the guy on the top line that makes the other team look over their shoulder. Role palyers….that’s what wins a championship on all levels.
    I remember when we sent over the team that had 12 centres on it a few years back and what a disaster that was. This year is almost as bad. Every guy on the team can’t score 2 or 3 goals a game. It doesn’t work that way.
    Team Canada would be way better off with a balaced lineup of guys who are super at what they do in all facets of the game…not just scoring.

“Being on the PP doesn’t make you an offensive threat anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.”
    Henry Ford

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
    Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

20. jols says:

So who starts with he hammer in the men’s final?

21. Phil C says:

What a tournament for Jennifer Jones. Has to be one of the best ever performances in Olympic Curling.

22. GL says:

If MB makes a trade for Hemsky. he’s not trying to improve the team. Bringing in another Average Player plus his age. We need to bring in players for the long haul. Hemsky, Bad move.

• Shiram.ca says:

He’s 30 which is not that old, and signed for only this season, so it’s not a long term move, more like a rental, and a RW, which the Habs are short on.

That’s if that rumor is even true.

• krob1000 says:

Hemsky would be the most skilled ripe (Chucky not yet eligible)player the Habs have had since Kovalev up front. Hemsky is a guy who can create his won cances but most importantly he is a righty and the Habs only have righties who are 5’9″ or under and all are very similar…Briere, Gio, Gally, C Thomas. Of those guys one is a guys non e has the ability to break down a defense like Hemsky. Hemsky is not a cure all…but he is an upgrade and the cost is likely not much.I would rpefer someone the team is looking to retain but HEmsky is better than standing pat IMO.
      Also Hemsky for the last few years has been pushed aside by the young guns in Edmonton who teh team is clearly trying to get us much experience as possible…in the right situation I think Hemsky could again be a 50 pt guy and help a pp.

• 24 Cups says:

Hemsky has been in decline for a few years now. Totally living on his past reputation. I’d rather stick it out with Gionta until the end of the playoffs.

• krob1000 says:

disagree….I think he has had to take a back seat to the kids who the Oilers have given the prominent roles to in hopes of future gains. This is a round about way of saying “tanking”. I think if a guy like Hemsky played on a line with Pleks both would see heir offensive numbers increase….it may also pave the way for Pleks to get first line pp minutes finally.

HEmsky is 7th among fowards on his team on the pp…his skill set should have him there…he was effective when younger but Edmonton went into tank mode and they pushed the kids

• CJ says:

Hi GL. I agree with everything you are saying, however to land that kind of player (younger and for the long term) you are likely going to need to give up a young player.

As I noted below, Hemsky is the kind of player that we could potentially get for Briere or Bourque. I’d say Gionta, but that is a lateral move as both are pending UFA’s. The advantage to trading Bourque or Briere for Hemsky would be the salary relief going forward.

It would be a bad trade to give up a prospect or pick for Hemsky, but if we could unload one of our vetrans, maybe there is some value in making that trade. It all depends on who might be going the other way. Again, totally hypothetical as it seems that only 1/100 rumours end up having any real merit.

• jayvanni says:

The only way I’d consider taking on Hemsky would be if we were able to dump some of our dead weight (Briere, Bourque) in exchange.

Would not be willing to give up any assets for him nor would I want to take on his salary in addition to our other questionable contracts.

23. Prop Is Canadian says:

Davis Drewiskie’s mother has passed away :(

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

24. JUST ME says:

Is the paint dry ?
    Looks like it.
    You sure ?
    Don`t know..
    Should we touch it ?
    You think ?
    Not sure…

25. ClutchNGrab says:

I’m fully behind my Canadian hockey teams (OG, WJC, WC), but it looks like every sub par teams are playing the trap, which makes me wonder why do we even send the NHL players in the Olympics? The only other professional league doing this is the NBA, but they do have good reasons for doing it. You don’t see soccer professionals asking to get a gold medal, they have their own tournament and so should hockey professional players (and I’m not anti-dentite).

Now, a few years ago I read an article on another sport and wondered if that could be in the Olympics instead. I’m talking about bandy, I think I would be ready to get behind a Canadian team every four years, it certainly would be more competitive than hockey and more in the spirit of the Olympics.

But seriously, go Canada go. Just can’t wait to get my Habs back.

• Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

In those other sports, there are sub-par nations doing the same thing.
      Denmark got to the quarter-finals in the World Cup a few years back having only scored two goals, if I’m not mistaken.

But I do like the international competition idea.

26. jols says:

That was huge!!! Should be a stress free 10th end. I hope so anyway. I know very little about curling but this is stressful and exciting.

27. GL says:

I predict a USA win tomorrow. Their forwards have it together and ours don’t. U.S.A. 3 Canada 1

28. aversglay says:

Way to go!!

29. Shiram.ca says:

People like to complain and they have unreasonable expectations.

As I was sitting down in the food court yesterday, a crowd gathered around to watch the game, but it seemed to me, most were just shooting the breeze, going through the motion of a hockey conversations.

“Who’s the Canadian goalie, he’s awful, barely facing any shots and he let one in, they should put someone else in.”

“That other team is dominating the Canadian, you can see it in their eyes, the Canadians are already defeated.”

“If they had X instead of Y they would have won the gold already”

The nonsense was basically endless.
    I figured the best thing to do at that point was to put on my headphones and just shut out the nonsense.

It’s not as easy to do here, but if you know someone that posts trollish content, just skip over their post, don’t reply. If all their posts never got a single reply they would eventually leave.

30. RockinRey says:

Spectors hockey trade rumors reporting Habs Have interest in Hemsky….not sold on him…

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• piper says:

Lets hope not, but I can see it happening.

• CJ says:

That’s the kind of player we could get in a one for one swap for Briere or Bourque. Neither of these guys, if used as trade bait, is going to land a younger, faster version of themselves.

If memory serves me, Hemsky is a UFA at the end of the year, so it would make sense that the Oilers would try and get something for him. If he provided cap relief (no future contract), I can see how he might hold some value. As such, I would regard a move like Gionta as being lateral as both players are UFA’s. Sadly, in a cap world, player salary and contract status play a major role in determining the equity in trades.

Hemsky is a decent player. He has had trouble staying healthy and consistency has been a concern.

31. aversglay says:

The micrometer does exist, sop saying you invented it. They have said that about seven times, does no one have internet there:

32. jols says:

So that 8th end wasn’t a great result for Canada? Advantage Sweden?

33. PsyCONADIAN29 says:

Yesterday I was unable to watch the game live, so I was relying on game updates from HI/O. From many of the posts, Canada was total crap. Playing awful, didn’t deserve to be there. The players should be ashamed.
    I had to see for myself, so I watched the game vs Latvia last night; Canada totally dominated Latvia. If it wasn’t for the Latvian goalie, and a bit of luck (couple of posts/crossbars…a defenseman covering the puck in the crease), it probably should have been close to double digits. Scoring chances were something like 35-10????
    So tomorrow, I’m unable to watch live again. I would appreciate a little more accurate reporting ;-)

Can’t wait for NHL North vs NHL South tomorrow! Go North !!!!!!!!!!

34. RockinRey says:

I am hoping the Habs have some cajones and trade Markov at the deadline….

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

For who?
      He’s our most-played defenceman and a role-model who has come through the entire system and given everything for the team.
      Let’s hope the Habs have some common sense and do nothing of the sort!

• RockinRey says:

He is not the best defenseman. I hope the Habs unload him for some prospects….We had the debate on this site a few weeks ago and I am not alone in thinking they hold onto him for sentimental reasons. In fact I hope the unload Gio, Bourque, Briere, and Murray too.

——————————————————————————————————
        You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

I don’t think I said he was our best defenseman.
          That makes no difference.

I don’t have a problem getting rid of those other players (losing a pile of players all at once is a bad idea in the first place, however), but it’s hardly sentiment that’s keeping him here.

If he were playing badly, then I would agree.
          But he ain’t, and I don’t.

• Maritime Ronn says:

GMMB will do what’s best for the team.
      If he wants to trade Markov, he had better have something resembling a Top 4 come back in any trade

35. montreal ace says:

As Canadians we are defined by more then just hockey, but for today and tomorrow for 6 hours, I won’t believe one word of that. I really get a real charge out of countries playing against each other

36. Strummer says:

Babcock will proably shorten his bench tomorrow.
    He already started yesterday- Bouwmeester down to 11:17, Pietrangelo 16:13 and Keith and Weber pushing 23-24 min.

Nash only palyed 10:58 and was low-man of the top 12 forwards

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

…except for 4:00 Martin St.Louis.

Which was crap.

• montreal ace says:

I hope Marty and Sid play a lot big minutes together tomorrow, they need ice time to get going.

• Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

They were clicking great on the couple of shifts they played together, I thought!

• nunacanadien says:

Team Canada is all over the ice, offensively and defensively. They are playing chase the puck hockey, that is all. Chase the puck so they can spend the 20 minutes per period trying to line up Carter and Crosby.

All they need to do like in the Austria game is have a decent defenseman like Subban who can both hit back, he would have given Latvia a good sh*t kicking, instead we watch Hamhuis and Benn and Petrangelo basically giving up the puck.

Sure Canada has let in a few mainly because Price has been great. Time Canada let Subban play, as the main players like Crosby and Carter don’t have to come back to play defense. Oh wait I thought Babcock dressed defensemen. Team Canada has not offense punch because it spends the whole game playing defense. Play Subban and snap out of it Babcock!

37. Sportfan says:

The Russians losing in the quarters is hilarious, but I am so thankful they are out now Markov and Emelin can take a few days and be healthy for the rest of the season.

For those who watched the Russia games did Markov ever go on the powerplay.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

38. montreal ace says:

Its a pretty thankless job being associated with Team Canada, so I have to say that as a Canadian I appreciate their time and effort. I don’t agree with every move the team has made, but they have not been outrageous decisions. Go Canada GO for the gold and thanks for the last one in Vancouver, that was a beautiful day.

39. krob1000 says:

One thing I noticed with the Latvians…the few times they did get the puck into Canada’s end the puck carrier was willing to skate into the middle and take the hit to dish off to his support guy. They also were always willing to put two guys in front. On the flip side the Canadians were playing more on the perimeter for the majority of the first two periods and were forced outside. I can’t help but wonder though if the fact they know tey are worth tens of millions and many are going to be instrumental in their teams playoff runs is a factor. I know I see Crosby play a much grittier game regularly for the Pens, with his concussion history, does he subconsciously avoid injury? Same with others? As has been stated other countries dream of the Olympics. It is also likely no secret that there will not be another NHL Olymnpic team going to Korea…there is no benefit for the league and the fact that both NY teams just lost their leading scorers IMO has made that even more likely.
    Don’t get me wrong I am not saying Canada does not want to win…and in fact they will probably be matched better against the US who will be playing a similar game…but a team like Latvia who has nothing to lose and everything to gain….tough to play against.

• frontenac1 says:

My buddies at the Saloon and I were saying the same thing amigo. Those Latvians were on the world stage and playing their guts out for the NHL scouts. Like how much dough are they making in Latvia, where ever the hell that is?

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Interesting perspective. I can see some truth to it. They have all the pressure of representing Canada and then the concern and responsibility to return to their club teams healthy. Every one of these guys are one bad hit away from a season ending injury and many have a history of injuries. Not something most of us consider when watching them. There has to be something going on with Team Canada, I thought it might be a division in the room over some issue but maybe it’s just trying to survive another long season made extra long with the Olympics. I don’t cry for them especially considering those outrageous salaries but these could be factors for the players that determine how they play.

24 cups and counting….

40. RockinRey says:

Very telling comment from Gorges on Subban.

He had no opinion on Subban being left out of the lineup for all but one game thus far by Babcock, who will no doubt hear about that from Canadiens fans when the Red Wings visit.

“It’s not up to me to decide,” said Gorges. “It’s up to the coaches and management staff and they make their decision.”

But then goes on to say this about Price:

He didn’t watch a lot of Olympic hockey, but enough to be impressed at how Price performed in goal.

“Probably the biggest difference for him is not having as much action as he’s used to,” said Gorges. “I’m sure it’s tough when you don’t see a shot for five or 10 minutes at a time and then there’s a breakdown and he has to come up with a big save.

“It’s hard to stay in the moment, but I think that’s why he’s there. He’s good at staying in the moment.”

What is so hard about saying I think he deserves to be in there, but I can see he is up against some good depth on defense.

If one of my fellow teammates was playing and he was not getting a chance ….and I consider him a difference maker for my club….then I would say he has to be in there. This Politically correct stuff iritates me.

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• DoopsyDiddler says:

Way to stick your neck out, future capt.

• RockinRey says:

I have to agree. The thing I heard about that is most upsetting is when Subban sat out last year for a better contract players felt he was selfish. HUh?! You have a short shelf life as and athlete. Was he worth what he was asking for at the time? Perhaps not but to weigh in on another players contract negotiations was strange indeed. I’m sure they didnt feel that way about Price…and he has done bugger all in the playoffs to deserve his salary.

——————————————————————————————————
        You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Perhaps he views future captaincy as a political position, in which he has handled beautifully.

• boing007 says:

Milquetoast.

Richard R

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

I agree with both of the above. Support your team mate for gods sakes!

24 cups and counting….

Naahh.

Saying that he knows better than the Team Canada coach is pretty bad form, and saying that his teammate is better than the other defensemen there is also bad form.

Why they are asking Gorges about it at all in the first place is beyond stupid.

And what he says about Price has no bearing on his comments on PK.

• RockinRey says:

Absolutely it does . He could say he is playing great. RE Pk …he could say I would love to see him in there but I know they have a lot of depth on defense….

PK is definitely held to a different standard. When he takes a penalty he is sat for 7 or 8 min. When Gio does he is not made and example of for it.

I think there is unwarranted resentment towards him.

Its too bad….

Besides this Team Canada has been overcoached anways. The tinkering by Babcock leads us all to believe he should have checked his ego at the door!!!

——————————————————————————————————
        You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

This is silly over-reading, Rey.

Whatever Babcock decides is his thing.
          I’d like to see PK out there too, especially seeing as how he can add offense on the point. Gorges knows that there’s nothing he can say to change that, and if Price wasn’t playing, he wouldn’t be saying, “It’s a shame that Price isn’t in nets.”

Why? Because that would be like Gorges saying, “Babcock doesn’t know what he’s doing, and Price is so much better than Luongo despite Canada’s winning record.”

That is a crap and disrespectful thing to say in both cases, and Gorges knows that.

There is nothing at all in Gorges’s comments that indicate resentment. Where do you get the idea that Gorges resents PK in that? He was asked about Price’s last game, and he commented on it. He wasn’t asked about how PK has played, so he didn’t comment on that.

C’mon…

• RockinRey says:

It has nothing to do with whether Gorges agrees or not. Would he say the same thing if posed a question about Price?

NO!! He would say something canned like “Obviously I am biased because I see him work every night and know what he can do…and think of him as one of the top goalies in the league so yah I think he would/could /has play(ed) great.

I reside in Toronto. Leaf players are raving about Kessel…..Imagine the same question posed about Patches being sat out or the Russians sitting out Markov…do you think Gorges would be Politically correct?

Am I imagining Michele ” I want to make PK a better ” person treating PK a little differently too? Nope!

Disrespectful how? Its an opinion….Gorges is never playing for
            Team Canada unless every other player who has missed the playoffs turns it down….

I dont get the idea …I just know from reading there are jealous players. I have seen the interviews when PK was sitting out for his contract…Gorges was one of the ones to pipe up….

——————————————————————————————————
            You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• Luke is Canadian says:

You are finding unwarranted resentment only because you want to.

Gorges, for no other reason aside from trolling by the media, is asked about PK. Did they ask about Duchene or St. Louis or Smith? But, they ask about PK we’ll assume ONLY because he is a teammate and not a hity generator.

Well PK isn’t playing, so Gorges diplomatically says nothing. Yes, we know that you want him to say: “I hate PK. He’s a terrible teammate and I cannot wait until he is traded.” But sadily, he says… “Not my call” and offers no further opinion, allowing you see resentment towards PK (as opposed to resentment towards team Canada).
          In fact, you say “when PK take a penalty he is sat for 6-8 minutes.” That happened once. ONCE.

As for the Price, he’s playing but Gorges gave the same non-answer. “Tough to play when you don’t see shots”

You are looking for drama.

PK isn’t playing… personally, I’d have him playing. He isn’t. It’s no more of an insult to him then it would be to Hamhuis if he wasn’t playing. But if you would sit Hamhuis that shows you resent him, correct?

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

I agree with Rockin Rey, show a little support for a teammate. How bad could that look? I feel Georges is a little sour grapes over PK somehow. How much could it hurt to say PK is a great offensive talent and I would love to see him in the mix? That’s not being critical of Team Canada. That’s just a positive comment supporting a fellow team mate. How hard would that be to do?

24 cups and counting….

• RockinRey says:

Well said Habs4 life and he would say the same thing about Price.

Fellow Leaf players would be saying great things about Kessel lighting it up….

——————————————————————————————————
            You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

Subban isn’t lighting it up.

• Ozmodiar says:

Bad form to endorse a line-mate? C’mon, man.

A little “PK’s a great player and teammate, and if were up to me, he’d be in the line-up, no doubt…” wouldn’t ruffle any feathers. It would be coming from a teammate, after all. Most would expect nothing less.

How P.C. do you want these players to be?

Would you have preferred a question about the weather?

• Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

I’m sure Gorges would have.

Okay, so let’s say I buy into you guys’s theory.
          This means that:

a) Gorges will be a crap captain because he refuses to stand up for his team-mates
          2) Gorges, like, totally hates PK, OMG
          iii) Gorges is some kind of Machivellian genius for whom every discussion is like a chess game, taking and conceding advantage

• RockinRey says:

Matty….you are reading too much into what I said. I said nothing about Gorges being captain….And that has nothing to do with him ostensibly auditioning for the captains job if indeed you believe he is… I just know there is an undercurrent….Go back and look at interviews from the holdout….

If you holdout….good for you if you can get what you are worth. But for any other player to weigh in is disrespectul. Get as much as you can. At that time Gorges didnt play the PC game. Now he does it is curious. He has nothing to lose by saying PK is a big part of this team and gave up time off to do whatever team CAnada asked him…Instead he chose to pull the chute on the question….Lame!

——————————————————————————————————
            You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

24 cups and counting….

• Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

There’s a big difference between supporting a team-mate who is playing well and supporting a team-mate who has been left out of the roster.

One is sharing in a team-mate’s success, and the other is calling coaching decisions into question.

One is good, the other, bad.

• tophab says:

gorges is a bum who cares what he say,s

• RockinRey says:

Exactly. For anyone to say he should never have been posed the question is asinine. It is the topic of the day and they just finished watching the game before practice…

——————————————————————————————————
          You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

41. HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Canada just dodged monstrous end in curling, only gave up 2, now tied 3-3 heading into 6 Canada with Hammer.

Yeah, just saw that.
      Yipes.

• jols says:

How do you determine who has the hammer? Does it just alternate each end?

• DoopsyDiddler says:

No, you get the hammer after you give up points.

• jols says:

Thanks. How do they determine who gets the hammer to start the game?

• jols says:

Never mind HiB explained it all below. Thanks Burly.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

During the round robin, hammer is given out such that every team got it the equal amount of times throughout the week. Essentially random, but each time had an equal amount of starts with and without hammer.

In club play we just flip a coin before game. Winner of coin toss picks either last rock or colour of stones (rarely chosen, only if you know there are some bad stones on a certain sheet). Loser of coin toss ends up picking colour stones 99% of time. As hammer is a big advantage.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Opening hammer of the game was Canada based on finishing higher in round robin. From there on out, whomever scores points the other team receives hammer the following end. If the end is blanked, as the 6th just was, the hammer remains with the same team.

Ideally you want to score 2 or more with hammer, without you want to steal 1 or force the other to team to take 1.

42. Sportfan says:

With Tavares injury the GMs must be calling Team Canada, USA, Sweden and Finland saying for the love of god tone it down lol. Upside to PK not playing he won’t get hurt!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• SPATS says:

Sure would be sweet if PK gets in for what he can bring to our agitation and trash talking game. Would not surprise me if he gets the call now that we’re down Tavares. We’ll need him on the PP as this will be a much chippier game too. If this doesn’t bring him in, another injury is the only way he backs in, and by then you can be sure he’ll sit by Lou and ride the pine. So sad.

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH

43. Mattyleg Won't Change His Handle For The Olympics says:

I really hope Bourni gets it together.
    Such a stupid injury.
    Just clipped with a stick, and must have hit him right on the button.

I imagine they are just taking their time with him, but that really sucks.

44. stevieray says:

What a win for the Swiss ladies ….Can’t help but be super happy for them . Can you imagine a 15 year old scoring into the empty net for the winning goal . This my friends is what the Olympics are all about .

45. Phil C says:

Canada is playing a conservative, boring style, but as a result, the US will be in tough tomorrow and will not see a lot of opportunities. I think it will be a tightly-checked, close game that will likely come down to goaltending and who gets a bounce. With the defensemen Canada has and the system they are playing, I think it will be another low scoring affair.

46. jols says:

All that happened so far in this tournament can be thrown out the window. This game will be played on pure emotion. Teammates on their NHL teams playing against each other for bragging rights, the USA looking to avenge the Vancouver finals, Canada looking to keep the title. This game has nothing to do with the previous four games and everything to do with which side shows up tomorrow. Go Canada Go!!!

47. Cal says:

Team Canada’s “risk averse” style will be the stake that is driven into the heart of the team. It is a far cry from Gretzky’s “They have to watch out for us” comment during his international playing days.
    The coaching and style of play of this All Star Dream Team has been uninspired and, too be blunt, boring as watching paint dry.
    The Americans, who play exciting high speed hockey, will smoke Canada tomorrow (and maybe the US ladies will do it today, too) thanks to the dream team we have coaching.
    Maybe one team will be exciting, but it sure as shit is not going to be Canada.

48. Maritime Ronn says:

Poor fella.

The Russian coach’s post game press conference Q&A.

From the Wall Street Journal

Headline:
    Russian Olympic Hockey Coach: ‘Eat Me Alive Right Now’

Excerpts:
    Q: What future, if any, do you see for your own work and for your coaching staff? Because, you know, your predecessor was eaten alive after the Olympics—

A: Well then, eat me alive right now—

Q: No, I mean—

A: Eat me, and I won’t be here anymore.

Q: But we have the world championship coming up!

A: Well then, there will be a different coach because I won’t exist any more, since you will have eaten me.

Q: But you’re staying, aren’t you?

A: Yes, I will remain living.

49. DoopsyDiddler says:

Lots of complaints about the complaints but, Timo and adadi aside , the criticisms of Team Canada have been legitimate.

Here’s what I consider a vacuous argument: “don’t question Babcock he has a cup ring and a gold medal.”

50. Walmyr says:

Breaking news: PK Subban in…Pietrangelo out for tomorrow’s game.

Source: some brazilian guy who knows nothing about hockey, who have zero connections in the Canada team (or related) and who would like to watch a CAN-USA game with PK playing top six minutes.

BTW, hello everybody…still hot like hell here in Rio…

CHeers

51. jols says:

The NYI were not making the playoffs this year anyways. If they were in the thick of the playoff hunt the Travares injury would have been devastating. This will only ensure that they don’t do anything stupid like stringing a series of wins together that will do nothing but jeopardize a top draft pick.

• Lopaz is Canadian says:

Someone is going to give them a ton for Vanek at the deadline, as well.

The Islanders took a huge risk on the deal but I think they will re-coup their losses at the deadline.

• CJ says:

I’m not so sure about that. He has become, strictly speaking, a rental. They might recoup a first and second round pick, but the team who is giving up these future assets is very unlikely to be selecing in the top five. As it currently stands (and I do appreciate that there is a draft lottery, so things can change) there is a very good chance that Buffalo gets a top five pick and a second round pick somewhere around 35th overall. If the Isles defer the first round pick this year, they might lessen the impact of losing a lottery (top five pick), but they are giving away a first rounder in a very deep draft (2015 draft class). It is not without risk.

For the Isles to come out ahead, they would need to receive a player equal to or better then the one they lost (Moulson), who they had a great chance to resign and who wanted to be there. They would also need to receive a first and second round pick that have the potential to land in the top third of each respective round.

Time will tell, but I think it was a rushed move to try and vault a team who is still at least a year away into a playoff position. They need a goaltender in the worst kind of way. Without Tavares, I would say they are not likely to improve on their current standing. If anything, they are most likely to sink further into the basement, a spot they are all too familiar with. In any other hockey market and with any other owner, Garth Snow would have been fired.

52. GL says:

Team Canada’s weakness. All kinds of fire-power can’t put the puck in the net and if they lose to Team U.S.A. this will be the case.
    Maybe the Goalies they have faced were better than the other divisions!!

53. jols says:

Great bronze medal hockey game for the women. I’m excited for the main event at noon. Go Canada Go!!!

54. Bald Canadensis says:

Does this seem at all familiar?

“The Russian coaching is in crisis. Russian hockey legend Vladislav Tretiak said today that the Russian team must be coached by a Russian, and that there will not be a foreign coach under his watch. Yet there is little alternative in Russia, with the coaching style stuck in late 80s failing to adjust to the modern game.”

From this article.

• knob says:

My theory, mostly an assumption not found by any facts, is that the Russian players were bigger than the team and I doubt that the coach was anything more then a face behind the bench. I couldn’t even imagine trying to coach Kovalchuk for example.

• Lopaz is Canadian says:

There is a difference, however. In Russia, many players can not speak English and I’m sure the practices and video sessions are in Russian.

On the Habs, the irony is that the practices and video sessions are all held in English!

Imagine that. Therrien would not have qualified for the job if he coud not communicate in English!

• Ozmodiar says:

I heard that team Russia was going to replace their coach with an egg timer. Cheaper, and just as effective.

• Le Jadester says:

Dumb dumb dumb !

Russians are pathetic and the product I saw on the ice angainst Finland yesterday was poopy. I agree that coaching was probably an issue.

I wanted to see a Canada – Russia final so bad !

If they had any brains over there they woulda thrown all their GazProm money at the Hunter Bros. !!!!!

Or imagine if they stole Nolan from Latvia ????

Habs, OLE !

55. Ozmodiar says:

If I could show Babcock one play from this season to make a case for PK playing against team USA, it wouldn’t be a goal, or a big hit, or a nice break-out play. It would be a little play against the Leafs that I quite enjoyed.

Kessel was carrying the puck through the neutral zone, gathering speed … he was moving at a good clip. Just as he was about to cross the blue line when he looked up and saw PK quickly sliding across for the hit. Kessel didn’t try to squeeze by, or absorb the hit. Oh, no. He just bailed on the play. He hit the breaks, and slid the puck into the corner. Done. Completely neutralized by our defensive liability.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Olympic ice 15 wider and a play like that is huge risk if not impossible to make.

• Ozmodiar says:

Yeah, “huge risk”. I hear the same thing about that play in the NHL. Yet, I still love it.

Definitely not impossible on these large international ice surfaces. Don’t make me break out the videos. :)

• Phil C says:

As long Kessel thinks it is possible, PK would be in his head. Would you risk being wrong? If PK backs up into Kessel while Kessel is at full speed, it would be devastating.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

OHMYGAWD! Risk! No risk = the soccer on ice we’ve been witnessing. Like a tedious chess match that ends with three pieces on the board, I’d prefer to attack and lose in 20 moves than to play like that. The game is supposed to be fun!!!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Lopaz is Canadian says:

I remember that play. Good post.

• Phil C says:

Good example, PK’s defensive skills are greatly under-appreciated. There is no way Pietrangelo brings the same intimidation. Neutralizing Kessel will be very important tomorrow.

56. knob says:

Canada should role with a traditional line-up: 12 fwds and 6 dmen. The extra 2 players and the 4 min of ice time that they get, in my opinion, interupts the flow of the guys that miss their shift.

As for the defence, notwithstanding the fact that Canada allows the fewest shots per game, is not as solid as Babcock and Management thinks. AP and JB looked terrible at times against Latvia and I’m still not even sure what ME.V adds to the team. I think that it is time to put Subban into the line-up.

As for the forwards, time for Kunitz to sit.

• montrealtilldeath says:

Totally agree. We are going to lose. Babcock is no genius. We barely won at home in Vancouver. Joy on Sidney’s winning goal but in reality we stunk for most of the games. For those crying for Luongo his weak goal created the OT. He went on to stink in the game 7 against the Bruins. I was cheering for Vancouver but when I saw him in the pre-game quick dressing room peek I commented to my son “My God he has already lost”, There was no confidence in his eyes. As for this Team Canada the vaunted D is not as good as people think. I noted in the Latvian game and the Finn game when pressed Keith, Bowmeister and Pietrangelo turn over the puck. The Latvians just did not have the NHL polish to finish. Weber and Doughty are solid. The US is not Latvia. Players like Kessel will finish. The US blood is up. It will be Quick in goal not an AHL player. 57 shots and we cannot score? Take the blinders off. If we get behind the US will not drop into a defensive shell. It will be “no prisoners” hockey for 60 minutes like Lake Placid. Drop in the inherent superior Canadian hockey demeanor and take a good look. Of course if we lose the designated scape goat will be Price even if he stands out. The cry from the all knowing ones will be we should have started Lou/
      Go Canada
      Subban should be in. This is a big game. PK is a big gamer. People that perform well in playoffs or big games are unique. I keep a book in every sport on those whose numbers and performance excel in big gamesl. They have that extra gear that the others do not have. St Louis Blues play well during the year but how did they do in the playoffs? Not well because timid “careful eddy” play doesn’t cut it when the heat is turned up. We all remember PK’s tying slap shot against Boston. He has it. Just look at the fire in his eyes. You saw the same intensity in the eyes of Gretzky, Robinson, Orr. Messier etc, And of course the ultimate the Rocket. I always remember the famous word description of him pouring in on goal ‘eyes shining like two burning coals”. The opposite Peyton Manning; folds in the big one. I had Seattle all the way. My bud lost the football pool because he did not listen’ In the words of Gene Hackman “winners want the ball”. This is a big game. Play winners.

57. DoopsyDiddler says:

Canada is getting outhit because they always have the puck. Nothing to do with lack of grit.

• Habfan17 says:

That makes sense. Overall the team is strong. I find that there are a couple of players, notably Nash and Kunitz that seem to be having a hard time keeping up. I would have liked, like many other here. to see Giroux on the team.

My concern is that they are lacking finish. Pierre McGuire was defending Sid this morning saying the other teams are concentrating on him, making it hard for him to do his thing. Although it is true, that he may be keyed on, I would disagree. If teams go after Sid, then the other players should be getting better chances since they are the best of the best. I also disagree with it since Sid faces that game in. game out and still finds a way to deliver. Not to mention that the teams Canada have faced have been categorized as decent AHL calibre teams.

I think it is more than that, maybe it is fear of injury before the medal games, fear of peaking too early, maybe some nagging injuries. They just seem to be off.

Habfan17

58. boing007 says:

Darren Dreger just said that Team Canada is an allstar team. Too bad they’re not playing in allstar games.

Richard R

59. Mavid is a Canadian fan and thinks they should free PK says:

Traverse done for the season…Yikes…its the risk you take..but man o man imagine if that was Price..or PK…

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

60. habsguru IS CANADIAN - is Babcock? says:

i dug around the various websites for stats, but had no luck. does anybody know if Crosby has been on for a goal against?

61. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning friends. What a dark day it was for HIO yesterday. When I joined this site it was to have enjoyable adult conversation around the Habs and hockey in general. I understand the site gets visited occasionally by troll or two but they never last very long.

Lately I’ve also noticed a more aggressive mean spirited posters who have recently joined. They hide behind the safety of their computer and behave in ways that I’m guess and hoping that they’d never do in public. A once enjoyable place to visit has become uncomfortable on many days because of these socially challenged folks.

Someone (sorry I forgot who so I can’t give you credit) posted an interesting article on this phenomenon yesterday. May I suggest this be required reading for all.

I’ve personally stayed away from game blogs as that seems to be the high tide for trolls and childless rude behavior. Lately we’ve seen this behavior spill into all hours.

Yesterday, quite frankly made me ill. Our friend Trini posted several days ago about the behavior of Hab fans and how our behavior soils the franchise and very well may have a negative impact on its on-ice performance.

My initial reaction was to disagree with him. But upon further thought he raised an important issue. As you can see from the article, Montreal fans don’t have a patent on troll behavior.

If you missed yesterday I’ve taken the liberty to repost some of the lowlights:

– There goalie, if the goalies would of been swapped, the game would of been over in the second period.

– Come on, you useless losers. Score.

– Pure entitlement, no heart.

– I’m cheering for Latvia in the third.

– Latvia (a country with a total of 1200 players) taking Canada to the brink. Does not compute and is what happens when arrogance, incompetence and RACISM, are combined to run a team. I’m pretty sure they could use PK’s “attitude” right about now.

– They SUUUUUUCK!!!!! Go home you freaking overpaid millionaire primadonnas. You suck like no other team Canada ever sucked before.

– Another point, how many times do we see a team confident up front, because who`s in net.

-And I don’t understand, how come most people here can’t see how unsettled Price is, and has been for a while.

I’m disgusted by the seeminly new direction some of our “newer” posters along with some older members want to take this site. I’ve heard insults about “you and your friends all stick together” and “Its my right to post what I want here” so often of late it makes me want to hurl.

Yes, many of us are friends here and some of us are even family. It’s what happens in a civilized society. You know who you are and perhaps someday you’ll try joining in. Until then, you make me nauseous.

End rant.

• ? says:

You are what you eat.

• Habfan17 says:

Good morning 10912!

I hear what you are saying and have been chastised for posting my opinions in the past, which were not negative, or fall under the category of bad behaviour. It wasn’t one of the “trolls” as they are referred to, which I also feel has no place here, it is a form of name calling and brings us to the level of the posters we take exception to because of bad behaviour. I was chastised by a poster who everyone seems to worship.

I do find the posters can be hypocritical. I see some people post an observation or opionion and they are summarly dismissed, and then a “revered” poster says the same thing and people bow at his/her feet.

I used to let it get to me at times, but then I sat back and thought about the fun conversations I have had with you, Maritime Ronn and a few others and that is what brings me back and now I just ignore the other stuff.

The fact is, none of us knows what is really going on or what is behind decisions made by Bergevin and Therrien. We see what is happening and based on our knowledge of the game and our passion for the team, make our comments. The same holds true for team Canada.

I agree with what you wrote, it is disgusting and upsetting to read some posts here. I choose to focus on the insightful posts that actually present a point or position, backed up by examples or stats.

I hope to see you continue to post! Cheers!!

Habfan17

• DoopsyDiddler says:

This is nothing compared to what gets said about the Canadiens on a daily basis. And anyway half of those posts are from Timo.

• Ozmodiar says:

Don’t feed the trolls – especially big platters like this. :)

Probably better to just ignore these posts. They’re not going away anytime soon.

I don’t mind them, really. They add a bit of color to the site. In fact, most comments like this aren’t posted by trolls. Just fans venting frustration, but taking a shortcut to thinking.

• Mavid is a Canadian fan and thinks they should free PK says:

agree 100% not sure what the solution is but I hope all the good ones stick around..we have lost too many already..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• 24 Cups says:

I’ve been here pretty well from the very beginning. I find that the site runs hot and cold at times (and has been pretty good for quite awhile now) . The days of Cournoyer12, the Price/Halak wars and coaches walking the plank before the ship even leaves dry dock are some of the historic dark times on HI/O.

I think the newest edition has to be the sacrosanct Subban saga. It has been relentless ever since NHL talk of forming an Olympic team began. Maybe the guy should be playing. However, the reasons for playing other candidates are there for all to see. As biased, homer Hab fans most will disagree with Subban sitting out but enough is enough. Maybe it’s time to accept that fact and start talking about all the other issues and events surrounding the Olympics (i.e. losing Stamkos and Tavares has been a huge blow). Maybe all this Subban sorrow has indirectly opened the door for the HI/O loons to fly in.

Do you know what the biggest problem is on HI/O? Posters taking the bait and responding to idiots who post lowest common denominator comments and replies. They are simply baiting people, waiting to see if anyone gets reeled in. Truth be told, they probably don’t even care about the Canadiens or the Hab story of the day. They are just visiting the site to garner attention and yank our chains. Sadly, someone always responds which just feeds the trolls even more. They are delinquent children seeking undeserved attention that we continually provide for them. They win – we lose.

• Mavid is a Canadian fan and thinks they should free PK says:

I think the PK debate is a bigger focus because it is not just Habs fans that think he should be playing..its most fans..this just fuels the beleifs of Habs fans that they are right and the coach of Team Canada is being unfair.

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Ron says:

I read and see what your saying Jim and it has been brought up many times in the past ( alot by you ) but it is what it is and although alot would like to akin HIO as some sort of a social gathering it is not. Quite a few people here attend the Summit each year ( I hope to this coming season 2014-15 ) and derive some long lasting friendships from it. This still does not make this place a fraternity as such.

Many new and old posters tend to slag or attempt to discredit some of our players to the dismay of others ( PK, Price, Murray, DD and Parros etc ) which is their right even though those players are part of our Habs this season. Yes most want the best for our team but some just can’t wait till MB gets the changes made.

As 24 mentioned, taking the bait is all some need to continue on. Some here have the tendency to bait the baiters when the case arises which also is wrong.

I see no difference to the amount of so called trolling than I have seen over the last 8 years on here. What I do see is some quick over reaction to it. Like you have said in the past Jim, smile and wave.

• New says:

I find the site has a decidedly whiny tone at the best of times. Every goal against is a mistake. Every post or miss is an almost goal that failed. The game day blog is a total waste of time, a litany of snarky off topic comments that have little or no relevance to the plays that spawned them. The end result is that within a team game, for some people at least, there apparently must always be a whipping boy or two chosen, the opposite of everything I was taught even as a child about play and sport. Likewise there must always be the hero who can do no wrong, is unfairly treated by the opponent, refs, management, League, and world. “We” would always win if our chosen ones weren’t fouled or the whipping boys hadn’t failed us again.

Then, just as you decide that the board is a total waste of time, someone quietly writes a really relevant comment and you sit back and think how you never saw that and how right they are.

It is what it is. Often more mirror of the writer than reflection of the game. The Olympics are on and the best players in the world are trying as hard as they can to struggle through an elimination tourney where frozen spit could decide Gold or 4th. We talk about how unfair it all is that our guy isn’t playing as much as we’d like, get ourselves all worked up, and ignore that he was picked as a spare anyway.

Meanwhile we are oblivious to the millions of fans just cheering for their team, Canadians or Canadiens.

62. BriProfessional Team Canada Hockey Fan says:

Good morning all.
    I turned on the tube for an Olympic update, and my grandson came running out…

“You watching the oliclics, g’pa?”
    Yeah that’s it buddy…I’m watching the Oliclics.
    “Go good guys!”

63. Maritime Ronn says:

8 minutes ago
    @TSNBobMcKenzie: NYI expect John Tavares to miss the balance of the season due to the injury suffered at the Olympics.
    ————
    I don’t even want to imagine if that would have been Subban-Price-Plex-Max-Markov….

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Huge blow, let the firesale of players on the Islanders begin.

And as 24Cups pointed out earlier, the fact they don’t even have their own first round pick this year! Buffalo have to be excited.

• Maritime Ronn says:

They have to be careful and not go under the madatory spending Cap Floor of $44M

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi Burli

the 1st round pick that went to the Sabres is conditional;

” if the 1st round pick NYI sent Buff ends up top 10 in June, Isles have option to defer the pick to 2015.”

Right now, the Islanders could defer to 2015 as they are in 26th place and would pick 5th in the 2014 draft.

• Habfan10912 says:

That’s a good thing because I think the Isles are really close to turning it around. Real close.

• Maritime Ronn says:

:-)
            they may be better off gving the draft pick away this year…but they won’t.
            Poor new jersey.
            Their forfeit pick from the Ilya Kovalchuk cap circumvention is this year after delaying for 3 years in a row.
            Currently, NJ would pick 7th.

• Marc10 B All About Gold Baby! says:

Yep. The pros are done at the Olympics. Only a USA win with TJ Oshie highlights could get the owners to think twice.

• CJ says:

Terrible news. One of my favorite players. Looked like an innocent enough play. Bummed out big time. Get well JT!

64. habsguru IS CANADIAN - is Babcock? says:

100% MR

I think all of the players don’t want to be “un Canadian”. there is absolutely no emotion, nor fun, on that bench. people keep trashing Crosby, but let’s face it, he’s the best player in the world, and could probably beat LAT 4th line by himself. NOBODY wants to be the guy to step outside the box, or break Babs system, which makes NJ look like CHI. too cliché, too safe, AND too disciplined. PK couldn’t tow that line through 5 games, he has too much personality to behave like the rest of the team, SEDATED.

65. Maritime Ronn says:

Regarding Team Canada.
    No doubt this is a highly skilled team – they have easily outplayed the rather weak opposition to date, yet cannot seem to bury chances.

Whether they win Gold or not, there is something bothersome watching this team.
    Even though Coach Babcock was seen pacing up and down behind the bench and was quite animated, the team itself on the bench looked Dead – No Fire.

The Team Canada management picked a talented and skilled team – yet the same could have been chosen by any 12 year old hockey player with access to NHL.com scoring stats.
    Something is missing…

When looking at Team USA, they opted not to choose just plain outright scoring talent (Bobby Ryan-Kyle Okposo-Pominville), yet guys with character that could get things going via a well timed hit or in your face crease presence with guys like Dustin Brown, Ryan Callahan, and Derek Stepan.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but this is not Canadian hockey.
    Yesterday against Latvia, Team Canada was pushed and banged around with NO physical answer back, until Latvia had nothing left in the tank.
    There is no fear of a Team Canada physical presence from other teams.

Team Canada misses a few guys like Claude Giroux and Milan Lucic.
    Leaving Giroux off the team was a monster mistake.
    Not only does he bring character, yet Giroux would have ranked 6th in scoring for Team Canada forwards.

As an example, flashback to the 2012 playoffs.
    Crosby’s Pens vs. Giroux’s Flyers.
    Game 6.
    The puck is dropped – Giroux hammers Crosby and puts him on his butt – then scores the opening goal a few seconds later, and the Flyers go on to beat the Pens 5-1 and win the Series.

The sequence:

• grizzles says:

Interesting point. But it’s hard for me to justify agreeing that we have a lineup void of character guys.

Our lineup is littered with Captains and Assistant Captains who are proven vocal leaders, as well as players with tons of playoff/Stanley Cup experience.

There are definitely a lot of younger players on this team making their first appearance at the Games but with a lineup including guys like Toews, Doughty, Nash, Getzlaf, St. Louis etc.. Its really hard to believe that this lineup is lacking character.

Not to mention that we won gold 4 years ago with many of these same players

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi grizzles

Not saying lack of character, yet the mix.
        The team has been manhandled and I cannot remember a forward throwing a check.
        Teams like Finland knew they were not going to have to pay any type of physical price and played their game.

• CJ says:

Good points. Regarding the number of captains, could that itself be an issue? Too many guys who have become accustomed to the unbridled role of leader, now taking on a new identity? Maybe waiting or deferring to see who else will step up.

I see that in businesses sometimes. Where there is a defined leadership structure in place and assigned roles there appears to be a greater cohesion and by extension an improved chance for success. Although the collection of talent might be far superior, if there is either a leadership void, or undefined structure, this can present issues, even among a collection of top talent. Notable example would be breakout sessions during general manager conferences. Please stand back waiting to see what others are doing. Deferring. Being polite.

We are Canadian after all…..

• CJ says:

Good post. Missing Giroux was a mistake. Whether that miscalculation will prove to be monumental or not will be determined within the next 72 hours.

Further I agree regarding the composition. The proof is in the results. Tavares was playing on the fourth line. He couldn’t get into the game. Limited ice time and seemingly no defined role contributed to keeping him off the scoresheet. Guys like Marleau have no identity. At least the Getzlaf, Perry and Benn line can hit and create offence from a sustained cycle down low.

IMO, I see too many of the same type of player. Like it or lump it, a guy like Lucic, Ott, or Marchand sure would be nice to have against the Americans.

I don’t want to be too critical, yet. There will be lots of time for second guessing. Obviously I still hope and believe this team can win gold, despite my opinion regarding the make up of this team differing from management’s.

• Captain aHab says:

I don’t think the Getzlaf line has been getting pushed around…they’ve been doing the pushing. Furthermore, you have to look at the last few times Team Canada played on big ice…they’ve had tough times so management may have thought that going for speed and skill might be best this time round.

I have to say though I am still somewhat baffled that PK can’t crack this team. Not necessarily for all games but I have not seen Hamhuis, Pietrangelo and Bouwmeister playing so well that PK couldn’t draw in. That being said, by not playing he is: not getting injured [see Tavares, John] and getting a chip on his shoulders for when he comes back. Let’s hope he scores 3 against Detroit when they play next….

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• SC27 says:

P.K. will not play as long as Hitchcock is there. It really is frustrating to see both Boumeester and Pietrangelo out there. There is an obvious pattern that every time those two are on the ice the puck is in front of Price. Now with Tavares out, Subban will be watching alone, with the third string goalie (not knocking Smith!) Politics strikes again.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Think I will reserve judgement for now. Let’s see how they play and look against a team who play the same style which the Americans do.

Team still hasn’t lost, team has controlled play and just hasn’t buried chances.

• Marc10 B All About Gold Baby! says:

Hmmm… I don’t know. To me Toews, Keith, Doughty, Weber, Bergeron, and St Louis are the very definition of character. What is interesting is they aren’t loose. They’re carrying a huge weight and playing cautiously. The USA are having a great time and going for it. Canada needs to find that spark. They do that and they have it in them to take the Americans to the woodshed.

What concerns me with the team is our captain. Crosby as good as he’s been as a player, lesser teams have been able to neutralize him and shut him down, and they’ve taken his team’s mojo with it. If he’s our leader, he’s very much like Ovie, a great player, but not an invincible one. Giroux in that respect, and you make a good point, seems more junkyard dog and would have been a great inclusion. We need a bit of emotion injected into this lineup.

Norway, Finland and Latvia have proven that Canada is very beatable. They laid it on the line and it was only through sheer skill, and the ‘step up’ play of two of their character players Doughty and Weber, that Team C made it through. Now we need all the other guys to get it in gear and start playing with emotion. As the great philosopher Michel Therrien once said: “Hockey is a game of emotion. It takes passion to compete and win.” (Or words to that effect.)

66. Storm Man says:

PK has a lot of people to show they were wrong about his skills set can’t wait till he makes this ass clowns pay.

67. mount royal says:

Tim Bozon has 13 points in his last 6 games.

68. CJ says:

Good morning everyone!

Anyone going to the Bulldogs game on Friday night at the Bell Centre? Depending on the weather, I might bring the family down for the night.

Not a great deal of information from yesterday’s practice. I suppose it’s difficult to assess line rushes when we are missing 7 Olympians and Drewiski for personal reasons. Bad news regarding Bournival, although, as others have noted, not entirely surprising. Hopefully he returns to 100% in the coming weeks. Such a fluke injury.

Have a great day everyone! Cheers, CJ

69. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning

There is a possibility that this has already been posted as not much alludes HIO.

This is the list of the Detroit Red Wings Top 7 Dmen + 2 others that have played a few injury fill in games for the Wings this year:
    Kyle Quincey-Niklas Kronwall-Brian Lashoff-Jakub Kindl-Brendan Smith-Danny DeKeyser-Jonathan Ericsson + Xavier Ouellet-Adam Almquist…That’s 9 Detroit Dmen.

The question is, what do they ALL have in common?
    The answer.
    They are ALL Left Handed shots.
    Did Backward Chaining apply for Team Canada?

• Cal says:

Babs has a plan. More and more, I am hoping it blows up in his squinty-eyed face. Effing dolt.

• CJ says:

Good morning Ronn.

We are under the assumption that the left right thing is Babcock’s doing. We are also assuming that he is making all the personnel decisions. Respectfully, as I noted earlier this week, I find that to be a tremendous amount of responsibility for the coach. I’m suggesting these decisions are being made by committee. The research you have provided seems to support this theory.

Babcock speaks at the podium, but I firmly believe these choices are being made by consensus within the team Canada executive. Babcock is there to serve as bench coach and report to the executive what he is seeing from ice level. He will make in game adjustments, in counsel with the assistant coaches, but he is not solely responsible for who’s on or off the roster.

Reading some posts from our commentariat, I find it amazing that the coach gets slammed the way he does. IMO, if you don’t agree with the personnel decisions, ie PK, criticism is fair, but undone if it’s directed at the wrong source. Yzerman is the executive. He should hold more sway then the coach. By extension, he should also be the lightning rod for controversy.

Just my two cents…..

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi CJ

The post above did not blame the coach.
        The backward chaining comment applied to Team Canada.

It’s easy to see there was a hell of a lot of politics going on.
        Word out is that Coach Hitchcock has huge influence.
        If so, then there was no way his 2 guys on the back end were not going to be Top 6.

That is not saying they don’t deserve to be there.
        Just that a great injustice was done because the present Norris guy had no one in management/coaching staff to lobby for him concerning place and time on the team…and that includes Bruins Coach Julien…

• CJ says:

Hi Ronn. My apologies. My post was not meant to critique your findings. I was using it to leverage my point regarding Babcock having become the point of contention, unfairly IMO.

Sorry if it came across the wrong way.

• DoopsyDiddler says:

The left/right thing is an excuse to leave PK out of the lineup.

It sounded like that in November.

70. Habitant in Surrey says:

…You see, there is the la-la kumbaya world of love and smiles of these Olympics, …and then there is …The Real World

‘Pussy Riot attacked with whips by Cossack militia at Sochi': http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pussy-riot-attacked-with-whips-by-cossack-militia-at-sochi-1.2542843

‘Ukraine protesters, police standoff leaves 28 dead': http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ukraine-protesters-police-standoff-leaves-28-dead-1.2544349

…what are the odds of Russian tanks rolling into the Ukraine following the love-in of the closing ceremonies ?

…losing in hockey won’t make The Bear more warm and cuddly, that’s a certain

71. ths says:

Is it true based on today’s practice Brisebois has taken PK’s spot on the roster and PK will be sitting when he gets back until he can regain Terrien’s trust and he can risk finding a place for him on the top 8 ?

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path