Nokelainen, Nash re-signed for one year

Petteri Nokelainen

Petteri Nokelainen
Mitchell Layton, NHLI via Getty Images

He wasn’t extended a qualifying offer, but that hasn’t stopped the Canadiens from re-signing centreman Petteri Nokelainen to a one-year contract.

RDS’s Renaud Lavoie reports tonight that Nokelainen signs a one-way deal $575,000. Defenceman Brendon Nash, meanwhile, signs a two-way contract for the same sum.

1. TomNickle says:

Since the group of free agent defensemen is so thin I thought I’d take a look at NHL rosters to see if some could be had via trade. The first roster I looked at was the San Jose Sharks. They have Boyle, Burns, Stuart, Vlasic, Murray, Demers and Braun all under contract next year. I highly doubt that any of them will be played as a seventh defenseman. I would say one of them will be moved and that’s something the Habs should try to get in on.

Any of those defensemen would be a nice addition to the Habs’ roster.

• steve17 says:

Petrecki might be a good option too, Same age as Subban, big, mean and a lefty who could be paired with Subban. Was a first round pick

Habfan17

• TomNickle says:

If I could have one of their defensemen it would be Douglas Murray. He’s cheap, he’s big and he’s mean.

We all know now how Bergevin loves his Swedes.

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

I was just thinking yesterday and yesteryear, it would be nice to get Douglas Murray on the Habs blueline.

But what would SJ need/want in return?
        _______________________________
        Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

• TomNickle says:

I’d be willing to guess that a 2nd round pick gets that done.

• commandant says:

If all it costs is a second rounder, we should do it now. Murray would be a perfect fit.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
            Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• TomNickle says:

Well he only has one year left on his deal and I don’t see how he plays anything other than a #5 role with them now.

Boyle, Burns, Vlasic, Stuart are a cemented top 4.

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

Maybe they ask for Gorges and Patches in return for Murray and a signed Craig Rivet poster.

_______________________________
            Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

• TomNickle says:

Haha.

• Mike D says:

A 2nd round pick wouldn’t be bad for Murray assuming we could re-sign him after his contract and for reasonable dollars/term. If a 2nd would do it, I wonder if Weber + a 3rd (or something like that) would work too.

While a 2nd would be fine, I’d rather keep as many 1st and 2nd round picks as possible.

– Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

• nickster13 says:

Id go for Murray. He gives us size and a friendly price tag.

edit: Damn TomNickle you just beat me to the punch!

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

San Jose is apparantly in on the Rick Nash sweepstakes, therefore many players on that roster could be in play for that potential trade. If indeed they don’t get Nash, I think then some of these dmen could be in play for a trade. Agree on Murray.

• TomNickle says:

Sorry about the game yesterday. Hope you aren’t too hungover today buddy.

That Balotelli makes Ronaldo look like a warrior. Unbelievable diving.

Yah crappy game, my team did not finish well early on. Unfortunate, led to far less Jagrmeister in my blood stream though. My support will be behind Spain in the final, but I will now be golfing so can’t watch.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Balotelli scored two superb goals.

I guess you missed those.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• TomNickle says:

No I didn’t. And I didn’t say that he didn’t play a great game. I’m saying he was diving in embarrassing fashion yesterday.

2. pher pher says:

Okay, for some reason my picture is gone and I can’t figure out how to put a new one up… help please.

3. centre hice says:

GOMEZ WILL NOT PLAY IN HAMILTON.

If he is sent to the AHL it will be to play with another team, not Hamilton. Just like Souray and Redden.

We can’t have all our prospects in Hamilton (who are there to develop) in the same locker room as Gomez.

• TomNickle says:

Funny that nobody has ever come out and said that Gomez is a bad teammate. Only rave reviews in that department.

But hey, I’m sure you’ve been in a locker room with him more than his teamates.

;)

• steve17 says:

The Rangers did it with Redden, the Habs can do it with Gomez if need be!

Habfan17

• commandant says:

Redden plays for the Rangers farm club in Connecticut. He was not sent to another team ala Souray.

The only reason Souray was sent to Hershey was that he was publically feuding with and bashing Oilers management at the time and Management did not want him to be a locker room cancer to the kids.

Gomez is acknowledged by nearly all players, as a good guy, whoa has a good personality, and is a leader. Say what you want about his on-ice play (its sucked for 2 years) but there are no indications he’s a locker room issue.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
      Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

4. Mike D says:

So Sidney Crosby signs a 12 year, $104.4mil contract yesterday. That must’ve been a tough predicament for the Pens. On one hand you have the best player in the world and you have to pay him fairly, but on the other, he’s had concussion issues and there’s a legitimate risk he could hang’em up early if he takes another bad hit to the head….in which case the team still has to pay him. A team that almost went bankrupt not too long ago.

Sid’s a great player and any hockey fan would love him on their team, and I feel bad for him or anyone who experiences brain trauma, but in SOME ways I’m glad it wasn’t the Habs taking that risk.

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

In theory, the Pens could have waited another year to see if the concussion symptoms persisted/returned before signing Sid to a lengthy contract.

The Pens’ brass took a risk, but also acted in good faith for their franchise player. SC87 rewarded their actions by accepting a lower annual salary than he would have gotten had he hit the open market.

In my opinion, it’s a win-win for all three parties the Pens, Sid, and the NHL.

As for the financial future of the Pens should SC87 not be able to complete his contract – surely have an insurance against such cases. Perhaps they pay higher premiums for this insurance, but those increased premiums are subsidized (and then some) by the additional profits gained in merchandise sales.
      _______________________________
      Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

• Mike D says:

Good points. In regards to his contract, it was reported that the last 3 years are at a much reduced salary. I can’t remember the exact numbers but if you subtract those years, it’s more like 9-10mil per year which basically ties him with Ovie as the highest cap hit in the league. Rightfully so mind you, but the ‘discount’ is pretty small especially considering the injury risk.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

Between Crosby and Ovie, I would say Crosby deserves that title over Ovie.

Realistically, all too often contracts are awarded for past accomplishments. I think what Crosby has accomplished in PIT trumps what Ovie has accomplished is WSH.

Additionally, now that I look at the numbers: The media is saying the reported $8.7M cap hit is a discount rate to allow the Pens to sign some better quality teammates for Sid. Assuming he could have earned figures north of $10M, that’s only, what $1M-$2M worth in savings? What kind of quality can $1M-$2M get a team these days?

Perhaps, moreso, it sets the benchmark for the rest of the team (à la Lidstrom in DET). Think of the players you could sign if each player signs for 10% less than market value? Starts with the captain and trickles down.

_______________________________
          Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

• Clay says:

I believe there is insurance to cover the salary if he gets injured.

__________________________
      ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• Strummer says:

Insurance won’t cover concussions which are classified as “pre-existing”

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

5. frontenac1 says:

Buenos Diaz Amigos!Heading up to the most beautiful city in Canada,Montreal, with the most beautiful Mrs.in Canada to take in some live Jazz. If I spot Nokie in the crowd ,I will pass along felicitations from everyone!Hola!

6. centre hice says:

The Noke signing didn’t impress me at first, I thought we could try to improve the 4th line. But when I saw the salary, only 500k, I realized this is a good depth move.

Signing UFAs never gets good value, almost every UFA is overpaid on the contract they receive. It’s just the nature of market. It’s an auction.

Like most here, I want Prust to centre the 4th line (and we still could sign him), but we’ll have to overpay and give a lot of years. Noke gives us a very cheap plan B.

7. commandant says:

Today I did the top UFA defencemen available.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
    Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• 24 Cups says:

That’s a pretty thin list after Suter. Garrison and Allen would be the only guys I would want for the Habs but Allen is going to get a four or five year deal at 4M a season.

I say we wait a few weeks and then pick up a a depth Dman at that time on a one year deal. Greg Zanon would be perfect. Or Mark Eaton if he can stay healthy.

8. what-ever says:

I don’t think MB is gonna do much, sign most of last years players to a 1-year deal and get another good draft pick 2013
    if your rebuilding it’s not a bad way to go. we,re not good enough to win a cup with the bottom six we have. why waste money and a chance at getting a good draft pick next year.
    MB is playing it smart and it’ll all work out in the end. get rid of Gomez big contract and Karberle’s we’ll be laughing.
    Remember we’re looking for a cup not just making the playoffs. we’ve done that for too many years.

Gomez on the 3rd line works for me. A different coaching philosophy will understand better who to put with him, and how to use his speed and play making, instead of trying to make him the scorer on the line.

Either way he will be playing for us again this year.!
    And besides, this team always needs a guy to dump on by the media and fans, might as well be him instead of destroying one of our kids.

• 24 Cups says:

Ian – If Gomez is the 3rd line centre, then that means one of DD, Pleks or Eller is playing wing. Why screw up another decent player when you can ship Gomez out of town?

I can’t believe that the Gomez issue wasn’t part of the interview process for Bergevin. There has to be a plan in place.

• Clay says:

I agree. We can’t have that cap hit for a marginal player. Unless the plan is to tank…
        __________________________

10. HabFanSince72 says:

Nadal was upset by a compete unknown from the Czech Republic by the name of Rosol at Wimbledon.

Rosol’s dad (I assume) was wearing a Habs cap. Anyone know the reason?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

11. habstrinifan says:

Drop the puck! drop the puck! drop the holy puck!
    Toss it hard or drop it soff he dont give a fkkkk
    Drop the puck! drop the puck! drop the holy puck!
    Face-off here or face-off there.. Noookie’s got the luck!

One goal down with two to play; it’s Web.. and Kaberle
    Price is set! So start the play… Nookie’s gonna rock.

Drop the puck! drop the puck! drop the holy puck!
    Toss it hard or drop it soff he dont give a fkkkk!
    Drop the puck! drop the puck! drop the holy puck!
    Face-off here or face-off there.. Noookie’s got the luck!

The TV pans to MT’s way… he looks like he’s gonna shit!
    So hurry hard you stupid ref and start the freakin play.

Drop the puck! drop the puck! drop the holy puck!
    Toss it hard of drop it soff he dont give a fkkkk!
    Drop the puck! drop the puck! drop the holy puck!
    Face-off here or face-off there.. Noookie’s got the luck!

2012 HIO Fan Summit news Flash!

Dear Ian Cobb
    Organizing a group requires time and effort and to that effect, I would like to thank you on behalf of the Canadiens organization for all your hard work and support during the last season.

As a club we’re looking forward to coming back strong in 2012-13, and the first steps toward this goal have already been taken with the arrivals of our new Executive Vice President and General Manager, Marc Bergevin, Michel Therrien as head coach, and his team of experienced new assistants. I can assure you that at all levels of the organization, we are determined to bring back the tradition of excellence which has been the hallmark of our franchise for more than a century.

In mid-July, we will be forwarding to you our official calendar for the 2012-13 season as well as detailed information concerning related group sales and ice rental programs. A new program will be offered: a package which will combine the purchase of tickets for a Montreal Canadiens game during the regular season with the possibility of playing your own HIO game among friends on the Bell Centre ice after the Canadiens game is over. Additional details will be available on http://www.canadiens.com.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you and all your HIO members an excellent summer; we look forward to seeing you next season. Until then, please do not hesitate to communicate with us at any time, should you have any questions.

Best regards Ian,

Pierre
    Director – Group Sales and Ice Rental

Please do not book your flights or any other arrangements until I have secured all the game tickets. I am dealing with new faces at the Bell and things might change! I will keep you posted.

Ian

CLICK HERE for Summit news, pictures and comments.

13. steve17 says:

Signing Nokelainen for a year gives players like Nattinen one more season in Hamilton to be used in all situations and round out their games. But, it does beg the question, is there something in the works? Let’s just say Galchenyuk makes it impossible to cut him and he makes the team, Now you have Gomez, DD, Eller, Pleks, White, Nokelainen, and Galchenyuk. I did not mention Leblance because he can play right wing and should probably be in Hamilton. White can also play right wing. As a 13th forward, Nokelainen is a bargain. There are a lot of right wingers working for the 2 open positions behind Cole and Gionta, unless Gionta is not in the plans. left wing has patches, Bourque and hopefully Moen. That leaves one spot for a UFA or one of the young players if they earn it. Or possibly a trade!!

Habfan17

• HardHabits says:

Galchenyuk will play next season in Sarnia. Gomez in Hamilton (or hopefully traded). No log jam.

• Ronin says:

Let’s face facts.

1. Gomez is gone.
      2. Nokelainen is a bandaid so some others can gain experience playing more minutes in another league. 4-6 minutes a game and taking some key faceoffs won’t help prospects develop.
      3. Reality check: Galchenyuk will not make the team.

What this also means is that we won’t be pursuing a Konopka or other face-off specialist…or at least its unlikely.

Let’s hope Nokie spends the summer working on his draws to improve his percentage their…..its how he can be most effective for us.

• steve17 says:

I would love it if a team took him off the Habs hands. They may have to throw in Weber. Mind you, the actual salary for Gomez drops to around $4 million so if they just need a player with a big cap hit to hit the floor, Gomez works well, doesn’t cost too much in todays market but would eat up a good chunk of the cap.

Habfan17

14. HabFanSince72 says:

The good news is we finally have our “Fail for Nail” type slogan for 2012-13.

Play Nokelainen for McKinnon.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

15. pmaraw says:

Im a lot more curious to see where the big payouts are gonna go this year, i have no problems with nokia, he plays gritty hockey imo.

16. Gumper Knows Best says:

The nervous nellies are out and the UFA signing period hasn’t even started.
    Trades? GMMB has to figure out his cap situation after the RFA signings. His hands are also somewhat tied as trading prospects or draft picks defeats the purpose of a rebuild. Trade vets? Which ones and for who and then how do you fill that hole? And please, no Weber and Bourque for Bobby Ryan joke suggestions.

17. Marc10 says:

I hope Blunden gets resigned. Unless his injury has caused him to miss a step, I would think he is a useful 4th liner/role player.

He’s big, he hits, he fights and on the odd night he’s even scored. Put him in there as a replacement for any of the bottom 4 wingers and I don’t see it as a problem. And he’d probably be cheap too… and we need that.

I’d love to see him play with White, Prust or Moen (assuming the latter are signed…)

• habs-fan-84 says:

I was really impressed with Blunden last year, especially after he was unnecessarily given the short end of the stick from JM. Once he was brought back he played like he was a man on a mission.

I was hoping he’d be with the club this year.

18. twilighthours says:

Wait, someone said that this signing makes noke the 4th line centre by default and indicates gomer is gone.

Now this deal is starting to look good

19. wjc says:

Who was the better G.M…..Savard, Gainey, Pollock, Selke.

Did Selke have an advantage, that Gainey, Savard never had.

Did Polock inherit a better team then Gainey did.

Was it easier to win a cup in a 6 team era, where you owned thousands of players from 14 years old and on.

Just interested to hear what others have to say about history and 70 game schedules and underpaid players and no salary cap to worry about.

Were the Canadiens the same yesterday as today a profit driven business. Remember the world was different back then, train travel, (less travel). French players could be controlled in Quebec and welcomed it because of language.

How would Gainey do in a 6 team league and inheriting a farm system (that is no longer possible) from Selke.

wjc

• wildwilly says:

Those comparisons are hard to answer because the environment for each GM was very different. In my opinion, the only (abeit unfair) way would measure success with Stanley Cup championships. You don’t get part marks for being an also-ran.

• Clay says:

Gainey would have traded the farm system for Gomez.

__________________________

• RGM says:

Gainey did trade the farm system for Gomez.

Fixed that for you.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
        “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Clay says:

Lol…yeah, that’s what i meant :)

__________________________

• LizardKing1967 says:

Well, your question is a good one. But, taking into account that it is impossible too compare different eras in sports, same as for players, I would have to look at the achievements one did with what thye had in comparison to everyone in their era.

Going on that basis, I would have to say that Pollack, hands down, was the greatest GM in history (obviously arguably). Not only did he build great teams (and yes, he did have the luxury of drafting the top Quebec player first), but he was an ever so shrewd dude when it came to trades. He probably NEVER got shafted on a trade, and he did win his fair share of trades.

And if we look at the rest of the league throughout the 70’s, show me one other team that was able to do what the Habs did for TEN YEARS. That”s a whole DECADE of domination.

So, to answer your question, I would have to say that Pollack was and is to date the most succsesful GM ever.

PS Hope Gomer is gone for good. Please please please.

Drive for 25. 2012-2013. Max-Pac for Conn Smyth.

I BELIEVE!

• Chris says:

Pollock did not have the luxury of drafting the top two Quebec players each year. The cultural exemption to which you are referring was only created in 1963 with the start of the NHL entry draft and was abolished in 1969. During this time, there were actually very few Quebec-born players that had not already been signed as 13-, 14-, or 15- year olds by the Canadiens (or, in rarer cases, other teams) under the old rules where ANY team could sign kids to developmental contracts. This meant that Montreal only used their Quebec exemption three times, drafting Michel Plasse in 1968 and the pair of Marc Tardif and Rejean Houle in 1969. Those are useful players, but certainly not the basis of Sam Pollock’s reign.

If anything, Pollock benefit tremendously by the sheer depth in the Canadiens system that allowed him to trade very, very good players to other teams to secure his goals. That depth was built up by his predecessor and Pollock continued the trend through some shrewd moves throughout his career.

I think Pollock did have an advantage in that the Canadiens were so wealthy can could afford to tie up far more kids than the other teams seemed to be able to do, giving them the asset base to make trades like the one that secured them the 1st overall pick that they used to land Guy Lafleur.

But he did not benefit from the cultural exemption rule much (if at all).

• 24 Cups says:

The ineptitude of his competition also didn’t hurt.

The Rangers never were that good and then Toronto fell off the face of the earth after 1967. That only really left Boston, Chicago and Detroit as real foes. Win two rounds of the playoffs and you hoist the Cup.

Expnasion meant a free ride in the finals until Philly finally assembled a solid team. Contrast all of that with today’s NHL where you have 30 teams, four sets of playoffs and a salary cap.

• wjc says:

Selke didn’t have to draft anyone. They signed the french players and others to “b” forms when they showed promise at an early age, usually around 14 years old.

Boston had Orr signed up at 14. Beleveau was playing hockey on a Quebec team and was being taken care of so he didn’t sign on with Montreal. So they brought the whole team to ensure he could go no where else…you could not do that today, because players are subject to a draft.

wjc

• wjc says:

Good response, however he did not have to draft, Savard, Lapointe, Lemaire, Lambert, Mahovalich (Redmond trade) Cournyia, Richard, Beleveau, Ferguson and many more.

He made plenty of so/so trades and later drafts but they had such a stock pile it didn’t really matter as much.

wjc

• Whatever says:

It’s impossible to compare different GMs in different eras. However, Selke and Pollock were masters over the others of their eras, working under the same conditions as their competitors. They figured out ways to be better given the same advantages and limitations of the time. While obviously more difficult in the modern era, given the same conditions as their competitors, Selke and Pollock would still find a way to be better than the rest.

• wjc says:

Their competitors would/could not spend the money on a farm system when hockey was behind baseball, football, boxing, wrestling basketball in popularity.

wjc

• Old Bald Bird says:

Selke IMO because he took an organization that was in poor shape and built the powerhouses of the fifties and laid the foundation for Pollock. Pollock also made some good moves, such as nabbing Lafleur, but I think he was able to do this because Selke had built a very strong farm system, giving Pollock room to maneuver.

• New says:

Savard, then Gainey, then Selke, then Pollock.

20. RobertAlanFord says:

I never would have guessed that Nokelainen was part of the plan. One way contract too.

my weekly Habs analysis:

21. DMAN says:

Does anyone know if Matt Bradley is worth the bother at 33 years of age?

22. alwayssunny says:

Locking up Nokelainen is huge and shows how desperate we are at center but shifting to one of the bigger RFA. Bergevin hasn’t stopped gushing about Carey Price since he got his job. How lucky we are to have a great goalie like him. How easy it to not have to worry about the goaltending position, like other GMs have to do.
    Mind you, nearly all of the other team’s goalies have outperformed Price. But we know what this kid (wait, can we still call him that?) can do. Well, we don’t really know what he can do, but we know what he has done. He was a hell of a Junior. He hasnt’t done sh*t in the NHL really, but I say we break the bank right now because he is ready to put his sexy black cowboy hat on and grab the bull by the horns. I say 10 years – 75 million is worth the hype.

23. AnimalMother says:

Noke will prove us all wrong and get waived in the first quarter of the season.
    What. A. Waste. Of. Time. We suck.

24. AnimalMother says:

Waste of league min.

Cant think of better spent $575K

26. AH says:

Nokelainan yes!!!And a one way deal too, fantastic!

Boy we’re climbing our way out of the basement now…one year at a time, next year who’s projected to go 4th overall??

27. Castor says:

I think after Darche turned down the deal they just decided to keep Noky for cheap for depth

28. habsmandes says:

My god, what could be a better signing than this. Just imagine this 1st round draft pick for the Islanders should be put on Pleks line and geez it actually works. Holly garnoogle, it cost the team so much money to find out, because he’s proved he can play fourth line and maybe even 3rd line. Give the guy a chance. I’ve got a lot of confidence in MT to get the most from Noki.

29. Boomer says:

so it’s pretty much gonna be the exact same team as last year ey?
    … so let the debate begin, seth jones, nathon mckinnon or sean monahan?
    ;p

30. alwayssunny says:

Shrewd negotiating. After the doom and gloom of losing Darche and Engqvist, it’s great to see these two guys locked up. This summer is like a roller-coaster.

31. Habilis says:

So I was just checking out some other sites for draft reviews and such and I read that the Isles offered the Blue Jackets their entire draft for the number 2 pick. That’s 7 picks to move up 2 spots. Columbus said no.

Seriously, what planet does Scott Howson live on??? He’s apparently been asking for everything including the kitchen sink for Nash, and while I can’t really blame him for that I sure can call him coocoo for cocoa puffs for saying no to this one. This trade would have given Columbus the following picks: 4, 31, 34, 62, 65, 95, 103, 125, 152, 155, 182 and 185.

He must REALLY like Ryan Murray. That or he doesn’t want everyone else to know that Garth Snow gets his scouting reports from Mike Ditka.

• ProHabs says:

If Columbus made that deal, it would have been neat to see the Islanders draft Murray #2 then say “that’s it for us boys”, then the whole table get up and walk out of the arena.

• neumann103 says:

I was absolutely astonished that Howson was still employed by draft day.

Even more astonished he still has a job after turning down the kitchen sink from the Isles

“Et le but!”

• DMAN says:

Imagine if it wasn’t even Murray that the Islanders wanted. What if they wanted someone else like say Galchenyuk and then montreal had selected say Forsberg then they ended up getting Murray at 4th plus all the picks………hey it could’ve happened. How dumb could the Islanders be.

32. Propwash says:

To me, it’s even Steven, except Darche is on the wrong side of his 30’s Nokia comes cheap too.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

33. ooder says:

all this moaning over Nokelanien..yeesh
    this guy can win a face off and is being paid league minimum, JM is not our coach anymore.. he won’t be on the PP so no worries.
    ——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

34. Marc10 says:

I don’t get this signing other than it adds depth with size at center on the cheap. MB said organizational depth was an issue, so he’s getting warm bodies ready to step into the breach.

You know exactly what you’re getting with Nokia and it ain’t much. Maybe MT thinks he can eke out some value from 5-7 mins of ice time. If he can do that, this is good insurance.

I still would rather have some ‘mean’ back there on the 4th line. But maybe that’s just going to cost too much at center.

• Mike D says:

He’s also right-handed (which we don’t have otherwise) and career-wise pretty good at faceoffs from what I can remember.

He can be used on the 2nd unit of PK duty and although he’s not big/tough/mean, he’s not soft either. I can recall a few times last year where he got his hands dirty and he didn’t play much. Brad Staubitz he ain’t, but he’s no pansy.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

35. Sean Bonjovi says:

So, with Nokelainen signed can Mike Blunden (← pictured left) be far behind?

• Un Canadien errant says:

I posted when he wasn’t qualified there was a faint hope he might be re-signed at a lower salary, but he was only making $615 000 last season, not much of a savings there. I don’t know that they’d jerk the guy around for 50 grand.

36. jedimyrmidon says:

I’m hoping that MB has decided to keep Nokie as a depth player, seeing as he’s being paid so little. So perhaps once free agency rolls around, MB will look for what many posters would consider a ‘good’ 4th line centre. I’m really hoping that’s the case. It doesn’t look like any prospects in Hamilton could fill that role.

And, as much as we may not like it, the Habs haven’t been able to stay healthy recently and I’d rather they use a plug player than prematurely call up the prospects who should be developing.

37. Gumper Knows Best says:

For the Darche lovers, if he was so convinced he was NHL caliber with the Habs, why didn’t he just sign the 2 way contract and make the team? And playing the poor me in the media was the last nail.
    The only team that might offer him something are the St. Judes located in Tampa.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t agree with your take, he answered the flood of questions from the media in a forthright manner, and explained that he understood that hockey was a business. He explained clearly that he would have loved to remain a Canadien, and why he didn’t sign the two-way offer, but didn’t whine like other players leaving town.

38. Boomer says:

I was hoping we’d sign a 4th line center with a little more grit… Now we pretty much have to sign a guy like Staubitz who’ll drop the gloves on a dime or it’ll be pathetic like last year. I suppose if we kept him around as a 13th forward (healthy scratch) that wouldn’t be too bad

• ProHabs says:

The line up is looking exactly the same as last year sans Darche. It will be pathetic.

• Boomer says:

thts why i was hoping we’d sign someone else!!!
        Heck even Blair betts would of been a step up for our 4th line

• ProHabs says:

Agree, I want new blood on the team that will play tough , not just figure skate around the ice.

I understand short term pain for long term gain. But we havea already gone throught 10 months of very crappy hockey from les boys. That is long enough.

• Mike D says:

I think this will be somewhat of a transition year for les boys. Preparing for the future, but no major moves or stop-gaps which hinder the team’s true progression.

If we happen to be competitive enough to get into the playoffs, great. If not, short-term pains for long-term gains.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

39. Mike D says:

We shouldn’t worry too much about this signing. Sure Nokie’s ‘nothing special’ and we could have done without him, but he’s only making slightly above league minimum and my guess is that he’s more of an insurance policy for 4th line Center and is likely to be a 13th forward.

If there’s someone better out there who’s bigger/tougher, better at faceoffs and the PK, AND can be had at a reasonable pay, then sure, sign him up. If not, Nokie’s an okay fill-in.

I can see him and White battling it out for 12th forward in either the C or RW position.

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

40. ProHabs says:

THe only free agent signing the Habs will make on July 1st is Franky the Bull Bouillon.

41. smiler2729 says:

Was Nokawhatever on the team last season??

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Tim Thomas is a Nugentian lunatic.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

42. rogieshan says:

IF he makes the team, Nokelainen will virtually be playing for free @ $575K.

However, the signing once again underscores the lack of depth at the centre position.

43. jedimyrmidon says:

Man, Schneider, Quick and Rask signed in one day. Kinda puts pressure on MB to sign Carey soon.

44. Chrisadiens says:

Sorry if posted already but it sounds like Price is close to signing a 6-7 year deal worth about 6.5 per year. Nothing is confirmed obviously, but curious to hear everyones thoughts….

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• bwoar says:

0.7- 1.5M too much.

• Chrisadiens says:

Slightly high yes. Term is perfect though IMO.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• bwoar says:

For 6-7 years he’d have to take 5.5M max in my books. Which seems unlikely in reality. The tem has little leverage with no one in the system ready to challenge Price anytime soon.

• Rozz says:

Here are a few of my thoughts,

1. Montreal destroys weak minded players, especially goalies.. price has proven that he can deal with the pressure of this rabid fan base and media.. as well as bounce back and triumph over adversity.

2. He is 24 and is already a franchise goalie who can play 70+ games .. who is believed to only get better

3. You don’t just pay players for only what they have already done.. you pay them based accomplishments they have made and what you believe they are capable of achieving in the future. you gotta weigh both side of it. If we just look at past accomplishments, then Gomez is worth 7 mil…

4. He’s got one hell of a pedigree

5. The cap just went up 6 million so inflation dictates higher contracts.. in 6 years when the supposed term of price’s contract is up what do you think franchise goalies will be getting?

6. Montreal always has to pay more due to taxes etc

In the end price is definitely worth keeping around even if we have to “over” pay him by a million.. JUST PAY THE MAN!

“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.”

Mark Twain.

• And when he wins 45-50 games a year he’ll be a bargain.

All how you look at it.

They Call Me Shane
        “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
        Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I’d love to get Price signed for Dennis Wideman/Mikhail Grabobski money too, but I don’t think that’s realistic.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

That’s like 9¼ % of next year’s salary cap and presumably a smaller percentage of the cap in later years. Considering the fact that the contract would cover 4 or 5 years that price could otherwise be a UFA those numbers seem fair. It’s no discount, but those aren’t crazily high numbers either IMO.

45. Adidess says:

I don’t want to believe contract negotiations are difficult with Price and Subban, just because I’d find it a bit disconcerting.

So let me try an idea on you guys I am more comfortable with. My speculative theory is that MB knows he likely won’t make any big splash in free agency this year. Though contract talks have pretty much landed by now (my speculation), they’re deliberately hammering out at details more slowly than they would normally just so they can announce the official signings over the week-end, around July 1st.

July 1st is important for picking up highly coveted free agents, it’s also become a key PR day where teams want to be in the news doing something. I could see why a new GM might want to have something announced that day, especially if there is no big free agent signing in the plans…

Sounds plausible to anyone?

• bwoar says:

No. And nothing so far indicates difficult negotiations, either. Put your mind at ease and enjoy the summer. Remember that these negotiations can easily go on well into August.

• Gumper Knows Best says:

No rush. GMMB is looking how the RFA market is panning ot an there will not be offer sheets this year. Price will be annonced within 48 hours maybe Subban too

• Un Canadien errant says:

That would be a good conspiracy. I don’t buy into it though, I’m pretty sure the brain trust is busy getting ready for July 1, figuring out who to target and what the plans are (Plan A with Bryan Allen, plan B with Jason Garrison, etc…). The contract talks with the RFA’s are possibly into the initial offers stage, but there’s no rush, those guys aren’t going anywhere.

If anything, the only serious negotiations that are being conducted right now would be with the UFA’s, notably with Travis Moen.

46. ProHabs says:

It still makes my blood boil that Martin Lapointe is working for the Bleu, Blanc et Rouge. He turned his back on this team once before to sign with the Bruins of all teams. He should never be allowed to work for this organization.

• HFX-HabFan says:

To be fair, it’s not like he would have been the answer to the Habs at that point in the team’s history. If anything, he likely would have been miscast on a pretty punchless squad and probably labeled as a huge disappointment.

• ProHabs says:

Ya but how is he suppose to talk about life as a Hab to our young prospects when he put his tail between his legs and ran to Boston when he had a chance to come here.

If I was a prospect, and Marty Lapointe started talking to me about what it is like to play in Montreal, I would laugh in his face.

• bwoar says:

“Life as a Hab” is a mythology all it’s own. Invoking it, frankly, is in itself an arrogance the team is hopefully ready to move on from. If I hear one more member of the brass, or media, talk about “how important it is for kids to learn about what it means to be a Montreal Canadien” I think I’ll just ignore them permanently. That was the big lie of the recently finished Gainey era – that the CH legend itself was something that, once inculcated in a player, would shield them from ever doing anything that wasn’t in the team’s best interest.

Everyone else on the planet knows that for the happy hippy whorespit that it is. Not to say the the club’s heritage is meaningless, far from it, but that the real focus is the pragmatic, to wit: simply teaching teenagers how to grow into responsible men while playing a boy’s sport for a living, along with the attendant fortune and glory that comes from being in a big hockey market.

Lapointe is there to wrangle and mentor kids who have every reason to try their hearts out, and who will be afforded every opportunity to shirk that and simply flame out at the same time.

The conceit that only a former Hab could instill the necessary lessons to future Habs, for only the true Habs warriors possess the secret knowledge, is a relic of an idea finally obliterated by the Gainey regime and should be swept aside by the current management group. It’s cult thinking, while the rest of the league snickers at the anachronism.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Great post. I’m one of those who think that a link to the past and having former Glorieux on hand is important, so we might seem to be on different sides of this issue. I do agree that the most important aspects are to have a solid organization with smart, hard-working guys having specific responsibilities, and to have everyone pulling together. I think Marc Bergevin has accomplished that, with a lot of talent from different organizations, but also some former Canadiens who will serve as the bridge between the past and future Cup winners.

I was also one of those who felt so comfortable with Bob Gainey as GM and Guy Carbonneau as the coach, I thought we were set. I was ready for Bob Gainey to assume the role of the wizard, priorly embodied by Serge Savard, and to a much greater degree by Sam Pollock. But it seems that Mr. Gainey was competent at best, stuck in an old NHL-managerial mindset, and a lot slipped through the cracks while other teams skated circles around us. It’s okay to rely on a few able hockey men like Trevor Timmins, but if he’s overworked and doesn’t have a voice at the table you’re handcuffing him. Bob Gainey wasn’t a total failure as GM, but his methods didn’t work, and the current régime seems to have the right idea on how to run a team.

We don’t need a magician or a Saviour, we just need good managers who will find 3 NHL’ers in every draft as opposed to the average of two that’s the norm. If we make good picks and then groom them properly, we’ll return to contender status relatively soon.

47. L Elle says:

There is no UFA store, maybe Costco?

There are not a lot of players to go around, and whoever is left, their teams are locking them up with ridiculous contracts. Just because other teams are panicking, doesn’t mean ours has to.

Nokia is just insurance. You can’t let everyone go…WTF happens if you can’t replace the bodies?

I’m more concerned about getting that mean psycho D man, or someone to play with Pleks or Eller.

Much ado about the 13th forward.

48. krob1000 says:

575….for a guy content to sit in the pressbox….no big deal. Mathieu Darche…does not deserve to be in the pressbox or in Hamilton….but there are only so many spots and everyone wants a kid or two to make the lineup…but at the same time we want to add full time established 4th liners …can;t have our cake and eat it too. Signing Nokia is exactly what I see below..an insurance policy, he plays fairly tough, he’s a right handed center, he has no issues with not dressing and when he does he is what he is…a 4th liner…not an incredible one, not a great one….just your average 4th line plugger. No issues with this….I would be shocked if he gets in 30 games this year…and if he does..he deserves it….he could surprise..likely won’t though

49. Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t think l’Antichambre is as bad as it’s made out on here sometimes, but they will lose their marbles over this news.

• krob1000 says:

Lose their marbles? I take it marbles in this context has nothing to do with intelligence…
      I often wish I had a better understanding of French …but after the game when that show comes on…..I am kind of thankful because I know after every loss they are no diff’t then good ol HIO after a loss….

50. habsavvy says:

15th place is ours.

51. habsfanforever7631 says:

What’s up with all this Subban trade talk?
    Come on guys nothing else to talk about?
    People always say, “I heard it here.” “I heard it there.” “This person said it”
    Name the dam person!
    Subban’s not being traded, unless Bergevin’s a liar, in every interview he is asked about Subban, he doesn’t say, “I don’t want to talk about it.” He says “no.”
    Subban, Price, Pacioretty = our future, nuff said.

52. SlovakHab says:

This is really disappointing. Nokelainen is an AHL calibre player, doesn’t bring anything that this team lacks and there had to be a better option. So far this is the step I dislike the most in Bergevin era.

53. Feraco says:

Will I miss Darche’s work ethic and a good story being a hometown boy.

Will his play be replaced on a last place team? I’m confident it will. Can’t be worse.

54. mrhabby says:

If mb somehow gets rid of gomez as his only move this summer ….that’s okay with me.

55. Gumper Knows Best says:

Just a depth insurance policy and what is the % of $575K on a $70.2M cap?One way means he would be paid the same in Hamilton and you can be sure he doesn’t have a NMC.

He is only 26 and has bounced around like a ping pong ball. If the Habs get lucky on Sunday or make a trade then good. If not they have a cheap familiar face that cost nothing. Therrien must have seen something

56. SmartDog says:

Wow. 20 goals in 245 games, with decreasing production, Nokelaine must be doing carpentry for upper management. I was gonna say something else, but you know what I mean.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

57. habstrinifan says:

Things on HIO that aggravate my ulcer.

4th line. If I see more HIO posts wanting to put another player on our 4th line I will go crazy.

Trade Subban: Nuff said. It’s getting to the point that I say to f&*k with it… make the trade for another 4th liner.

Gomez comeback. Makes my food comeback on me.

Injuries.. like if we could cut down on our injuries we would be in the playoffs. No! If we could cut down on our 4th liners we would be in the playoffs.

Erstwhile Habs we should bring back.

Geez! Is this team ever gonna be good again?

• Chrisadiens says:

Can I add…..
      comparing MB to PG

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• habstrinifan says:

Dont know if you are implying that I am. My post is simply my way of venting that I am getting the same feeling that I had last pre-season when nothing but shitty two-penny moves were made and we became a joke.

It is too early to panic I agree but too late to be idyllic.

• Chrisadiens says:

No, I wasn’t. I was agreeing with your ulcer inducing list…and wanted to add something that aggrevates my ulcer. :)

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• habstrinifan says:

Understood.

Just getting that last year pre-season feeling here. I hope something happens to change it.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, you’re right, but it’s all we’ve had to bitch about since the draft. As soon as bigger news come along, we’ll jump on that.

• Rozz says:

EFFIN’ EH!

Mark Twain.

58. Malreg says:

So Cory Schneider gets a 3 year $12 million deal…

That’s pretty much why Price is going to get around $6 million a year.

Schneider has never played more than 33 games in a season and has a total of 68 regular season games in his career, and he gets $4 million a year. Of course the whole Luongo situation gave him a lot of leverage.

By comparisons, Price is 2 years younger, and has 271 career regular season games.

59. Un Canadien errant says:

Are we to believe Mr. Bergevin when he say he doesn’t have big free agency plans? If we’re holding on to Mr. Nokelainen, we may be just making do next season, just keeping the ship afloat until the kids in Hamilton are ready.

———————————————————————–
    June 22: Alex Galchenyuk [x]
    June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
    June 24: Travis Moen
    June 2627: Mathieu Darche
    June 26: Ryan White
    July 1: P.A. Parenteau, Taylor Pyatt
    July 3: Shane O’Brien
    July 5: Carey Price
    July 9: P.K. Subban

60. lenny says:

Well at least if I need to buy a vowel I know where to go…

61. commandant says:

At 575K I wonder if this is a deal for fourth centre or for pressbox duty?

Its only 25K above NHL minimum

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
    Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• bwoar says:

I expect he’ll replace Darche as 13th forward. He wins draws, which in short supply on this team. I think it’s safer to call Gomez a goner today. If they were keeping him around as insurance this move wouldn’t make tons of sense.

Or, Ryan White will play wing and PN will be the #4 centre. Which wouldn’t be my choice.

62. Un Canadien errant says:

Lots of angst on social media on Justin Schultz and how unfair it is that he can choose the team he plays for rather than go to the team that drafted him, and I suspect all the guys who were drafted by the New York Islanders last week agree with this sentiment. Why does he get to use this loophole and others don’t?

There are many facets to this issue. One of the main ones is that as fans, we have now come to accept and maybe even revere the universal draft as a just and immutable way to distribute talent throughout sports leagues, to help competitive balance, and as an annual tradition that promises better days ahead.

Yet the NHL draft has a more complex history. Before it existed, the Original 6 teams had farm systems that included junior teams and pro teams. Players were scouted as young teenagers and signed to contracts before they reached adulthood. Once they signed, the player belonged to that team until traded or released, for their entire career. Society being what it was, the modest sums offered as signing bonuses seemed astronomical to well-meaning parents unprepared to negotiate, and the chance to play in the NHL was too much to resist.

Now some players were the subjects of bidding wars as early as twelve or thirteen years old. Player agents began to enter the fray, notably Alan Eagleson with Bobby Orr, and all of a sudden, monopolistic owners began to frown at having to pay more than a pittance for a player’s rights. This is how the NHL draft morphed from one to claim all players who hadn’t yet been signed by NHL teams by the time they turned 20 to a universal draft. Now teams didn’t have to bid against each other for phenoms.

Meanwhile, courts began to strike down the ‘reserve clause’ that bound players in all major sports to their teams for their entire careers, which was seen as unfairly restrictive and monopolistic. Player unions and owners began to negotiate collective agreements that tried to allow for competitive balance yet allow some freedom of movement for players.

In this way, it has evolved that a player who is drafted yet cannot come to terms with the team which drafted him is not forced to sign. This comes at a significant cost to the player. For example, a junior player who doesn’t sign a contract with the team that drafts him must wait out two years, but even then doesn’t become a free agent but rather re-enters the draft, for his rights to potentially be held by another team for two years. NCAA college players such as Justin Schultz and Blake Wheeler before him have to wait out their entire four year college career before they can elect to not sign with their draft team. In the latter case though, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent.

To some it may seem that it is too easy for a player to play for four years in college, possibly earn his degree, and then call his shot in the pros, yet it’s inaccurate to call it a loophole. This facet of the Collective Bargaining Agreement was freely negotiated by the owners and players. With the attention focused on this area by the Justin Schultz situation and the frustration voiced by the Anaheim Ducks, we can expect that the next round of negotiation will spend some time on this issue.

Having said that, it is unreasonable in modern society to expect that a player will be bound to the team that drafts him for an indefinite period of time, courts wouldn’t allow it. Leagues are already pushing the envelope by limiting rookie wages with entry-level contracts. Sports leagues walk a tightrope to avoid anti-trust scrutiny; the probable remedy will be to allow for greater compensation for teams who lose players this way by awarding valuable draft picks.

In the case of Justin Schultz, I personally have to say that I don’t have a major problem with the kid’s decision. He didn’t do anything illegal or immoral or rig the system, he played the cards he was dealt and is making use of his options, the same as players who choose to go to the KHL rather than earn less than what the market would dictate normally in the NHL or AHL.

Further, as hockey fans we have to like that he’s turning his back on a glitzy Southern Californian franchise and looking to play in hockey markets such as Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver. The inclusion of Edmonton on this kid’s list is his get-out-of-jail card. He wants to play hockey and he’s trying to do so in the right environment so he can have a regular shift on an NHL team, we should cut the kid a break.

———————————————————————–
    June 22: Alex Galchenyuk [x]
    June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
    June 24: Travis Moen
    June 2627: Mathieu Darche
    June 26: Ryan White
    July 1: P.A. Parenteau, Taylor Pyatt
    July 3: Shane O’Brien
    July 5: Carey Price
    July 9: P.K. Subban

• habstrinifan says:

He still screwed Anaheim.

• commandant says:

He never collected a single penny from the ducks, what loyalty does he have to them.

He never asked them to draft him.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
        Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• neumann103 says:

How?

What does he owe Anaheim? His undying fealty? He was drafted. He pursued his education. He did not make one red cent from Anaheim or any other team. He exercised his rights under the CBA, which barely provides enough cover to withstand the slimmest of anti-trust suits.

Did you read Norm’s post?

“Et le but!”

• The Jackal says:

The short and sweet is that Schultz was drafted by a team, and thanks to a clause in the CBA did not have to play one game for them while finishing up a degree, now he gets to choose where he plays. Not bad for a guy who has not accomplished anything at the pro level.

63. WesternHabFan says:

Nash was one of the 10 players offered a qualifying offer.

64. what-ever says:

so far we have the same regulars as last year. they must think therrien is the answer. all they needed was a coaching change.
    no need to panic yet. maybe there’s a blockbuster trade coming for PK…..

65. Les Habitants says:

I had hope we could upgrade on our 4th line center but oh well…

66. Talik Sanis says:

We offered Darche a two-way deal, but Nokelainen merited a one way contract? That displays a terrible ability to evaluate talent. Granted, Darche wasn’t my first choice for a 12th/13th forward, but he has significantly more value to a team than Noelainen, who was noticeably inferior both in terms of his five on five play and his ability to kill penalties. Moreover, there are a dozen better UFA fourth line centres available. This is just a waste of a roster spot and Molson’s money.

It’s good to hear that we haven’t given up on Nash, however. He looked promising prior to his injury, and may yet become a bottom pairing defenseman.

• commandant says:

Quick name the dozen better UFA Centres

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
      Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• Talik Sanis says:

You’ll forgive my slight hyperbole, but there are many NHL players available out there to fill the fourth line position. These include Mcclement, Torrey Mitchell, Burish (who is a right wing, but can play center), Moore, Erik Christensen (who is likely only just Nokelainen’s equal five on five, but brings something of real value in his shoot out skills), Halpern (I salivate at the prospect), Konopka (and I hate “useless” goons), Blair Betts (if he recovers from injury), and John Mitchell. Even Santorelli, whom the Pathers placed on waivers, would likely be an upgrade.

Some players in whom I was interested, including Nichol, have re-signed with their respective teams, but I’m confident that there are others out there about whom I have not thought.

• 24 Cups says:

TS – Great post. Thanks for saving me the time.

• habstrinifan says:

I absolutely agree with you re Darche and Nokelainen. I wouldnt want either back but Darche brings a whole lot more than Nokelainen in my estimation.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I agree that on the surface, it’s puzzling that an ineffective player like Petteri Nokelainen gets this treatment while Mathieu got the bum’s rush. I trust the evaluation of the Canadiens’ management team, I guess they think they’ll get more of the fourth-line centreman than the fourth-line hometown winger, but it’s a little bit surprising and disappointing.

I assumed if Mathieu goes, and if Mike Blunden goes, then certainly Mr. Nokelainen goes, and Aaron Palushaj is in Hamilton for the season.

• skoalbandit says:

He is a better 13th forward than darche based on his ability to take FACEOFFS.
      Also he is a easy waiver drop at a leag min one year contract.

• habstrinifan says:

BS. Sorry not aimed at you really… just what his signing ‘for faceoffs’ mean. Can’t help it. This is getting depressing.

• Talik Sanis says:

The ability to win faceoffs is useless when you are so ineffectual a player that you turn the puck over immediately. If the ability to win faceoffs, a somewhat overrated skill overall, was critical to our team, both Halpern and Konopka (God help me if I restart the Konopka wars) bring more value than Nokelainen.

If faceoff skill did raise Nokelainen’s value over that of Darche, it would be borne out in his results. Even granting your argument that his proficiency with faceoffs had a positive impact on the number of goals against scored by his opposition, he was still on the ice for almost .4 GA/60min than Darche, despite playing softer minutes, and they were roughly equal in terms of goals for per sixty minutes. His faceoff ability did not help him killing penalties either, where he allowed almost two goals per sixty minutes more than Darche.

• bwoar says:

I think if Darche had been a C, who could actually win draws, he would’ve been kept on. That’s the difference here as I see it.

eDIT: skoalbandit, didn’t see your comment before I posted. We’re of the same mind about this.

• Adidess says:

Two low impact players, I didn’t want any of them back like most here. One explanation I would try is – and there must be one if we agree Bergevin and his team aren’t fools – Nokelainen is 26, can skate, and take face-offs. Darche (bless his heart) is over the hill (36 in November) and could hardly skate when he was on the young side of 35. I’ll be surprised if he plays 50 games with any NHL team this year.

He’s been great for the Habs in community outreach and other things. I say keep him in the organization in some capacity if he’s not playing in the NHL. I hope nobody is seriously complaining about not having Darche in the line-up next year.

——————————————–
      A big Centreman, please. Thank you!

67. habsfanforever7631 says:

Omg, why?
    And Here I was hoping for a tough forth line center!
    Nokelainen is not even tough.

68. Hali_Hab says:

BOoOoooo!

69. Feraco says:

Noki is ok. He will be on the 4th an I think he will be better than he was.

Nash is an asset…to Hamilton.

Still waiting for the PK and Price signing!!!!

70. HFX-HabFan says:

Meanwhile, the Canucks signed Schneider to a 3-yr, $12mil deal ($4mil annual cap hit), further backing themselves into a corner in their potential returns for Luongo.

Interesting that Schneider is the third goalie to get an extension today, and the Price rumours suggest he’s not far off either.

• The Dude says:

And now we know what Price is worth …$4mil per!

• commandant says:

Yes cause Price is worth the same as a guy who has a career high 33 game season and less career games played than Carey has wins.

P.S Schneider is older too

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
        Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• The Dude says:

Ya know commandant if ya got your fact sheet out you would see that Price’s record is average and then add in the loser point if you want his real record. He’s got style but that it so far.

• L Elle says:

You finally hit the nail on the head Dude. They are paying Price the big bucks based on style…yup…style.

Now can we move on? If not, the next 7-10 years are going to require you and some others some couch time. ;)

• commandant says:

Dude,

Facts He has almost double the career wins, that schneider has starts… and guess what, thats WINS, not loser points.

and he’s almost two years younger

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
            Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

71. HFX-HabFan says:

Nokelainen is a good option as a thirteenth forward, but they can’t seriously be thinking that he’s the answer as the fourth line centre.
    Trade Weber or a mid round pick to Phoenix and snag Boyd Gordon!

72. ProHabs says: