Noise/Bruit: Habs all smiles after sweeping Flyers

We’ve decided to restart a regular News/Bruit column that will give our readers a look at what other media outlets and websites are saying about the Canadiens and their opponents, so let’s get right down to business.

> Pierre Durocher of the Journal de Montréal writes that the Canadiens were smiling after Sunday’s game and expressed satisfaction at being where they are and proving the experts wrong. Durocher also writes that the doors to the Philly locker room stayed closed long after the game as the Flyers held a meeting after their seventh straight loss.

> The headline in the Philadelphia Inquirer reads: Montreal punishes the Flyers.

> In the Globe and Mail this morning, the news was all about the Flyers seventh straight loss and how they can stop the slide.

> With the Canadiens now tied with the Ottawa Senators with 73 points, the Ottawa Citizen looks at the team’s steady decline recently.

> Not only did the Canadiens hand Philly its seventh straight loss,
they took out some of the Flyers in the process, according to phillyBurbs.com. Those injured include Steve Downie and Joffrey Lupul.

> Marc Antoine Godin of La Presse writes that with 23 healthy bodies, Guy Carbonneau has to leave three players in the stands every game, and that doesn’t make everyone happy.

128 Comments

  1. The Teacher says:

    LMAO

    I’ll take a playoff spot any day over having one guy 1 point up in the scoring race over a player for Les Glorieux.

    You’re soo funny.

  2. Chorske says:

    LOL, who cares about last year? In this town you’re only as good as you last three games- heck, sometimes, you’re only as good as your last shift. So don’t talk to us about last year.

    How far back you gonna go for your moment of glory? Man, when I was an embryo, I was AWESOME! Heck, even before that, I was awesome. Semen, first class.

  3. The Teacher says:

    poor guy. poor guy..I’m just laughing so hard right now it’s not even funny….poor guy…

  4. The Teacher says:

    You describe yourself so succinctly FFS. Good job I applaud you.

  5. Chorske says:

    Rattler. You’re contradicting yourself.

  6. showey47 says:

    Just think if he score more powerplay goals they could make the playoffs, that why hockey is a team game, not just one guy, fact.

    Could you imagine the laffs if half of their games were not against back up goalies? Or if almost half the nhl refs were not from ontario?

    Maybe 25 points, but i think i’m being generous

  7. The Teacher says:

    Cup winners is also a fact :D

    OLeeeeeee

    I remember a lot of heartfelt

    “Na na na na
    na na na na
    Heyyy-eeyyyyy
    Goood-byyyyeeeee” ‘s that year.

    It was sweet. Too bad you don’t have colour photographs of the Leafs last win.

  8. The Teacher says:

    Wow, you’re kind of clueless…9 points is crappy. Where is the advantage fact man?

  9. Chorske says:

    Rattler! We missed you.

  10. Chorske says:

    Couldn’t agree more, great post.

  11. HabsFanInTampa says:

    There’s nothing more satisfying than beating the “Broad Street Bullies” at their own game! Not to mention sweeping the season series. The Flyers are constantly touted by the U.S. media of their physical and intimidating play. I’m so proud of our Habs not backing down and actually being the aggressors the last two games against the Flyers, but not necessarily bullies. The frustration was so evident in the Flyers’ players faces. The two on one goal when “what’s his name” from the Flyers wanted to fight and we just kept on playing was priceless! More satisfying was him “jawing” at the ref after we scored. What could he possibly be saying? As someone once said, “to beat a bully, you bully him back and he’ll back down” or something like that :)

  12. LizardKing1967 says:

    Who the heck is this bloody moron Leafs fan? Kisten Fact Sakes….

    I have 4 numbers 4 u: 1967!!!!!

    Jim-out

  13. HABZ 24 says:

    nice to see we rebounded from our 3 game slide with 2 back to back wins.it shows the habs still have heart.with huet hitting his 45 game slide mark, its great to have price back playing solid.if i were bob i wouldnt make any changes,were tied for 1st in the east today,stick with what got us here,no need for trades.unward and upward. luvin it! go habz go!!!

  14. showey47 says:

    Yeah i know, I don’t think he enjoyed my poem much either, lol. I was told by other posters not to retaliate with his clueless facts. But i just like having some fun at his expense, just like i do with the laffs.

  15. HKisses says:

    And u guys still didn’t make it…..Atleast we Improve….and you guys just get worse…….That wasn’t an answer…u need to name a TEAM..

  16. Exit716 says:

    I don’t think the mainstream Toronto media can quite wrap their Leaf-centric brains around the concept that Montreal might be for real. Remember Healy’s quote about Carbo and Muller being two of the better players if they laced them up? Ron McLean studiously changing the subject any time the Habs do something positive. I could go on and on.

  17. Ian G Cobb says:

    If we are 3rd in the league in scoring and we don’t have one player in the top 25. I like that a lot, they cannot key on one or two players because were getting scoring from all over. Also if one or two guys go down to injury, we stay afloat. Unlike Ottawa, Pittsburg, or can you imagine what would happen to Washington if the big O went down. I’ll take a bunch of 20 goal scorers every time.

  18. HKisses says:

    its funny when WE (HABS FANS) ask questions he doesn’t answer them…liek your question …………..How many teams from southern ontario are gonna make the playoffs this year?
    ————————-
    Guranteed he won’t answer this….

  19. Scotty90 says:

    I hear the laffs are making some cap space so that they can get Johny Bower back in nets. The hope is that such an addition could attract others such as Bobby Baun and Eddie Shack.

  20. The Teacher says:

    just in case you missed it above donkey fact master, im reposting it so you can read and understand.

    “””””””Huh? Ten games and nine points. Thats sub- .500 buddy. We’re definitely not getting an advantage. I’m sure if we got those points in back to back games we could have managed another 4 wins in 10 games in ANY other situation.

    So your facts actually aid our cause. You might want to stop spewing your donkey-ish facts and move on to a new argument. The favourable schedule washes out with the snow today, right down the sewer.

    For fact’s sake. Realize it, we are 9 points up on a playoff spot and I expect us to finish in 5th or 6th place.

    So, Laughs are handcuffed into maintaining the status quo. Now THAT’S funny!””””””””””‘

  21. Ian G Cobb says:

    I love the album, Dark Side Of The Moon.

    Have you ever been on the other side?

  22. showey47 says:

    Who knocked the laffs out? An islander team playing a third string who played the night before while the other team was resting.

  23. Hoegarden says:

    Kerry,
    yes indeed, my mistake. My point was on Smolinski finally getting the no-go from Carbo. I’m very anxious to see if he sits the Ranger’s game tomorrow. If that is the case, will BG step in ?

  24. showey47 says:

    Umm……..they draft some guy from afghanistan to a ten year contract with a no trade clause?

  25. Ian G Cobb says:

    I’m a little surprised Doug, this has changed since the new rules. Thanks for this.

  26. The Teacher says:

    Who was the last Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup?

    Thank you fact man.

  27. showey47 says:

    I don’t know, here is a more relevent question. Why do they call it taking a dump, when you are actually leaving a dump? You don’t take it with you. Here’s an even better quesion. How many teams from southern ontario are gonna make the playoffs this year?

  28. The Teacher says:

    Huh? Ten games and nine points. Thats sub- .500 buddy. We’re definitely not getting an advantage. I’m sure if we got those points in back to back games we could have managed another 4 wins in 10 games in ANY other situation.

    So your facts actually aid our cause. You might want to stop spewing your donkey-ish facts and move on to a new argument. The favourable schedule washes out with the snow today, right down the sewer.

    For fact’s sake. Realize it, we are 9 points up on a playoff spot and I expect us to finish in 5th or 6th place.

    So, Laughs are handcuffed into maintaining the status quo. Now THAT’S funny!

  29. Habs_008 says:

    Legace did play one more game. It was an OT loss though, it doesnt matter. Price deserves it. He did very well this week.

  30. 24 Cups says:

    Doug – It’s interesting that you would mention that. I have often thought that when Ian posts his stats every week it would be nice to see a Hab in the top 25 scorers. We now have Kovalev and I also believe Pleks is very close to being #25. Markov is also #4 in scoring for defensemen. It’s all about little victories and achievements.

    The Original 24 Cups

  31. Scotty90 says:

    you’re too funny!

  32. KerryPrice says:

    hey hoe,
    While i totally agree with your opinion on smokes, you did err in one of your comments. You said “if Ryder, Latendresse, or Lapierre screw up one night they end up sitting for a couple.” Ryder is the only whipping boy of those three. He sits and sits and sits while “Lafatendresse” and his boy toy Lapierre can do no wrong. Im not going to harp on how much i dislike their play i just had to point out the error in your post. Its good to see smokes finally sit one but its not fair to not sit the under achieving french kid, and the super “pest”.

  33. Kevin Mio says:

    Habitual,

    Point taken. I will try and include more information in the future with respect to French links. Sorry about that and thanks for the input.

    – Kevin

  34. slamtherimtim says:

    does he have to sign with a team by a certin date

  35. HKisses says:

    He’s not signign with anyone whatsoever…..He said his foot is not in the kind of shape he wants to be playing in the nhl this season

  36. Corio says:

    PRICE 3rd star of the week in the NHL:

    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=229973&hubname=nhl

    Go Price go!

  37. notbigbird says:

    I use Google Translator. It’s poor but enough to give me the sense of an article.

    http://translate.google.com/translate_t

  38. Hoegarden says:

    I agree with Lapierre and his potential. He’s not quite there yet but I would certainly not give up on him.

  39. habitual says:

    tks notbigbird.

  40. habitual says:

    Kevin, no need to apologize. I think being a Habs fan should include being able to get by in French and while I am (slowly) working on it I feel kind of like I’m letting our side down having to ask for translation.

    Thanks for the gracious response.

  41. Hoegarden says:

    Perfect fit for the Laffs if you ask me.

  42. 1010 says:

    I’m not sure either team had much of a scheduling advantage. The fact is both teams played four games in six nights. Philly would have played in Long Island on the 12th and then flew home that night. Then they would have; a day off, a home date, a day off and then on to Montreal.
    The habs played two in two nights down south and then two days off, and then Philly. This is a wash. Not a scheduling advantage.

    GO HABS.

  43. Hoegarden says:

    Lappy served his punishment in Hamilton for showing up at training camp with a poor attitude. Lats only sat a couple of games as I recall. We could add Kosto and Dandy, in short the 3rd and 4th liners. Anyway, I feel Smokes has an automatic “go” since the season started. Hopefully he will sit a couple more and get with it for the last 20 games. Habs need everybody chipping in. I’d love to see Chipchura brought back if he continues to “not show up and bleed for the team”.

  44. HKisses says:

    TSN REPORTING THAT FORSBERG WILL NOT PLAY IN THE NHL THIS YEAR

  45. wd40 says:

    yeah, that and the nhl refereeing conspiracy. ;)

  46. Dru says:

    Philly’s next game is against Ottawa. Great time for them to pull up their socks, play hard, goon it up and stop their losing streak.

  47. WindsorHab-10 says:

    Way ahead of your pathetic team, LOSER. Now go back to Leafs nation and crawl back under whatever rock you crawled out of.

  48. doug says:

    totally off topic –

    was looking up where Alexei Kovalev is among top scorers – where he is 21. went through the make-up and was surprised to see only ONE american in the top 25 – scott gomez – tied at 25. the breakdown as of today:

    canada – 12
    sweden – 6
    russia – 5 (including 1st and 2nd)
    czech republic – 1
    finland – 1
    usa – 1

    Amazing lack of diversity given the number of countries represented in the league. number adds to 26 because lidstrom and gomez tied for 25.

  49. WindsorHab-10 says:

    Make that the last 40 years.

  50. habsfan_56 says:

    a more important fact is where the canadiens, rank as a team, in GF
    look at tampa they got lecavalier but are struggling to make the playoffs

  51. Blitzen says:

    With Ryder, Bégin and Laps having strong games, the only guys I would think Carbo could sit to play Smokes are Dandy and Lats. I’m thinking Dandy sits the next game so Smokes can stop sulking. Smokes can sulk somewhere else next year. I’m sure the Laffs will take him.

  52. Stephen York says:

    It’s about time that Smokes got to ride the pine – aside from Breezer, I feel he contributes the least to the team effort.

    Begin should get the start again tomorrow night after a stellar effort against the Flyers. Not the most talented player, but he brings fire to the team.

    As far as Lapierre is concerned, he has a ton of potential. He’s stepped it up in the last couple of games. However, he’s usually pretty lazy, and looks scared on the ice. He could use a healthy scratch or two to kick his butt into gear.

  53. HKisses says:

    They will trade em away anywayz and put the players they get for the draft picks udner NTC…win win situation…for all of the NHL…stupid Laffs

  54. Ed says:

    In the phillyBurbs.com link above, as I remember since I read it earlier today, they talk about a scrum in the 3rd period, and Downey says his helmet fell off. He hit his head on the ice when he fell. They did not blame anyone on the Canadiens for the concussion.

  55. showey47 says:

    I agree with your rant but i’ve yet to see lats or lapierre sit maybe they have and i just don’t remember but, usually the scapegoat is ryder.

  56. Hoegarden says:

    hi Habitual,

    Smolinski is the one who did not react too well at being scratched for last night’s game in Godin’s article.

    Not wanting to read between the lines here but I see Carbo “finally” making a statement to both Smolinski and\and Bob Gainey.
    Look at what Begin does compared to Smokes; He skates faster (very easy to do), BUT he hits anything that moves near him, is not afraid of the boards and will drop the gloves anytime. When is the last time you saw Smolinski do any of the above ?

    If Ryder, Latendresse or Lapierre screw up one night they usually end up sitting out for a couple. Why must it be these three paying for “whatever they did wrong” the night before and never Smokes when he plays like a wussy rookie with a half dozen eggs in his pants. Like I said, this is just my opinion.
    cheers

  57. showey47 says:

    I would like to see the laffs win enough games to finish 9th or 10th, we don’t need them getting high draft picks. With their poor drafting history and innability to develop players this will ensure laff misery for many, many years

  58. showey47 says:

    Begin channels his frustration positivly by using it on the opposition. Smokes can complain all he wants, he is the worst among all centers in faceoffs on the team which was supposed to be one of his strengths.

  59. Blitzen says:

    He’s busy scouring the wire to see if Mats has waived his NTC. That IS more important than anything else in the NHL right now you know.

    Quite frankly, if the plan is for Sundin to be a rental and come back to the Laffs, I’m not sure any team will be willing to pay a king’s ransom for his services. I think teams are starting to clue in to the fact that trading away your entire future for a rental that more often than not fails isn’t bright.

    My hope is that they stay stuck with him and win just enough games to remain miserable.

  60. Bean says:

    Hey habitual,

    Just in case the article in question doesn’t get expanded on in Mio’s post . . .

    The article specifically calls out Smokes for being upset after finding out he’d sit. Him and Tom the Bomb stayed out on the ice rather than come talk to reporters.

    Godin also wrote about the 3rd and 4th line grinders in general playing musical chairs between the pressbox and the ice, and how it can lead to some personal frustrations. Bégin gets mentioned too, but as a “good solider” who kept his frustration at being scratched mostly to himself as not to create waves and be a distraction for the team.

  61. yathehabsrule says:

    Is it just me or does that headline make it sound like La Presse loves to rain on the Habs parade…yet again!

    http://www.bleacherreport.com/users/2098-Kevin_van_Steendelaar

  62. likehoy says:

    this was the reason i started going to this site…the second reason became boone’s blog

  63. Scotty90 says:

    And the Habs are tied for First with the Sens…. and that my fellow Habs Fans is a FACT!!!!

    Mr. Fact man… hellooooo, mr. Fact man…. where R….U…? The most important fact in the NHL right now and you’re not reporting it! Waasssuuuppp?

  64. Stephen York says:

    Woohoooo…back in the saddle baby!

    Could it be that Ryder is back for good? He had a solid game – I’d be surprised if Carbo doesn’t dress him for tomorrow night’s game.

    Glad to see Hamerlik back again in these last few games – I didn’t realize what a difference he made on the blue line. Hope he stays healthy for the rest of the season – I can’t bear to watch the Breezer on the power play again…

  65. habs12345 says:

    3 straight wins

  66. habitual says:

    Kevin @HIO, it is definitely my problem that my French is pee poor, and not anyone else’s.

    So while these links are helpful, what are the chances of adding just a wee bit more info to articles dans francais? For example, even just adding who isn’t happy to the reference to Godin’s article in La Press would help. I know … but thought I would ask.

  67. 93miraclecup says:

    I’m surprised no one has noticed that the only reason the Habs beat Philly last night was that the flyers had to play back to back games on the weekend! LOL.
    Where is that Facts dude now?

  68. Stephen York says:

    Clutching at straws… (shaking head).

    That was probably a Leaves fan’s high point for the last decade or so.

    You poor devils…

    BWAHAHAHAHA:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR966TzRT7I

  69. Bean says:

    Awesome. I’ve missed this feature! Thanks for bringing it back.

    (On another site-related note for the HI/O admins, where’d the search function box go? I haven’t seen it for a while – has it been removed?)

  70. Ian G Cobb says:

    Chorske–Cracked me up, with type slowly, chuckle of the day.

  71. Chorske says:

    Nice comment about Price’s maturity and brains by Durocher- telling Gorges to hold off fighting until the play was completed at the other end of the ice.

  72. Chorske says:

    LOL, you HI/O boys are SUCH slackers. Cos what this site needs is MORE content!! ;)

    Actually this is a fantastic idea, thanks for doing this and again, for the hundredth time: kudos for running what I consider to be the best fan-oriented team blog on the web.

  73. nightmare_49 says:

    I also want Lats to be like Yvon Lambert but he has a long way to go to be as valueable. Lambert was a very consistant role player that knew what he could do and he did at his best all the time. Lats has better hands but Lambert made few mistakes and was a rock in front of the net and it’s too bad he can’t teach that to Lats and also how to pass to his own players but Carbo thinks he’s the second coming of Michel Goulet. Someone posted Wonderboy Lats.

  74. Chorske says:

    I’ll type slowly for you.

    Montreal’s record is relatively poor (barely .500) when we play back to back games. It’s happened 10 times or so.

    Montreal’s record is good against teams (over .500) that are playing their second game of a back-to-back series. It’s happened roughly 10 times or so.

    Conclusion: it all evens out in the wash. Your stats simply show that teams that play back-to-back games often have trouble the second game. This is a fact of life, nothing earth shattering.

    Your simple analysis, coupled with your excessive use of exclamation marks, suggests you’re a bored teenager. I recommed going out and, I dunno, kissing a girl. Getting some sunlight. Using iodized salt would be good too.

  75. Chorske says:

    Pretty clear, I’d say.

  76. Edwardo says:

    Don’t worry he still doesn’t understand the concept of going upstairs to see if a goal actually went in. He claims that if the red light doesn’t go on it is definitely not a goal. I guess he hasn’t seen a game since about 1999.

  77. Spartan117 says:

    Philly helped us out 2 nights in a row, why not a third, comeon boys break that streak :P

    ———————————
    The Leafs are like an overused joke, it was funny the first 40 times, but after a while it gets old..

    LES HABITANTS JUSQU’AU BOUT

  78. The Teacher says:

    Huh, it’s pretty obvious he’s very consistent at being a Canadiens de Montreal fan, but you keep going off on a tangent.

    Have fun dude. You fill the dead air on off days, so it’s not that bad.

  79. Rastaman says:

    40 more years bud…enjoy ‘em.

  80. frank81 says:

    Hi “For-Fact-Sakes”,

    Philadelphia is playing Ottawa on Tuesday. I’m not sure if this can be simplified enough for you, but here goes…

    If Philadelphia wins in regulation, Ottawa will be be deprived of two points. New Jersey would then have an identical record to Ottawa, and would move into the first spot by virtue of their record against the Senators.

    After Tuesday, Philly can resume their losing ways. Hope this helps! xoxo

  81. The Teacher says:

    Ohhh, ok. you just really hate the Habs.

    One must wonder, did seeing our team kick your ex-Leafs butt’s into non existence year after year drive you away from being a Leafs fan. Were you just not able to take it anymore? Did they so fester a sore on your heart that left nothing but hatred for the Habs?

    Poor guy. The Leafs should be responsible for the care and security of ex-Leaf fans who have turned against their own and bitterly lash out at fans of other teams. They also exhibit hallucinations that allow them to perceive facts improperly and without a pure base in reality. Low class to not take care of the fans they used and abused into insanity. :(

    I’m glad God had the foresight to ensure I was born a Canadiens fan.

  82. The Teacher says:

    Huh? How is hoping the Philadelphia Flyers beat Ottawa tomorrow wishing ill on anyone?

    You interpret facts on a whole other realm than we here do.

  83. The Teacher says:

    Wow, all your facts dried up.

  84. Habs_008 says:

    For Sakes is really Don Cherry in Disguise. Everything Don says on Saturday, this guy says on the Monday. Come up with your own stuff Laff Fan!

  85. Rastaman says:

    Just admit what every Toronto, Boston, Ottawa, Philly, Buffalo (I could go on and on) fan should admit. You hate the Habs because quite simply they are the greatest franchise in NHL history…period. No one even comes close. Yeah, we’ve struggled the last 10 years, I hope that you enjoyed it and took full advantage of it, because guess what?? We’re back! Not saying this is a cup contender yet, but we are a few pieces away from being one and we MAY just have the next great franchise goaltender. Smell ya later.

  86. ZepFan2 says:

    “So when your a Montreal fan you wish ill will on all other teams? Is that how ya do it?”

    And a Sabres/Bruins/Penguins/Leafs fan wouldn’t hope we lose our games against other teams in hopes of catching us (well, not the Leafs)?

    Get real.

  87. frank81 says:

    I certainly didn’t wish an injury on anyone.

    The only way the Habs can be seeded above fourth is by having a better record than Ottawa and winning their division. That’s why I (and likely several other Hab fans) are rooting for Ottawa to lose.

    Ottawa has been playing one game above .500 since December. The Canadiens have been playing better than that and have closed the gap. Here’s hoping they finally pass the Sens!

  88. The Teacher says:

    Huh? Bitter? not at all, Carbo made a dumb decision that cost us. Its called learning as you grow.

    Too bad the leafs can’t learn, or grow for that matter.

  89. Ian G Cobb says:

    frank81–It’s OK, he does not get very much anyway, i’m sure the rest of us do, and we are with you. Go Philly.!

  90. Ian G Cobb says:

    The only thing i’m impressed with the fact fella is that he gets a lot of response from all of us helpful people. Being 10 years old and all, we would all love to show him the way, if only the kids would listen and grow. Some choose to just stagnate.

  91. kevrob says:

    He certainly does get a huge reaction. I find his mindless rants rather amusing to be honest. I keep picturing him in front of his computer thinking that he is waging war against the Habs. This guy is trying so desperately to find any way to bring the habs down, lets be happy that the best he can come up with is biased scheduling and refing. The habs are looking so good this year that he can’t find anything better to complain about.

    And Fact man, as a fan of the game in general, why do you wish ill on any team at all? You should be wanting to see competition at it’s highest level so why are you trying to demean that? The habs are doing much better than expected, as a fan of the game/competition you should be happy to see the Habs in competition for the division lead.

  92. Blitzen says:

    The hit was from the front, shoulder height and I honestly don’t know that he left his feet until after the hit. I am watching it on youtube and the quality sucks so I may be wrong, but his skates are still clearly on the ice a millisecond before the hit so it’s not like he jumped from 5 feet away. Anyways by Flyers standards that hit was soft.

  93. habs12345 says:

    ya smith had a broken nose after that play i was worried that the habs might have woken a sleeping giant around that play but it was not to be as flyers are in a serious slump its worse than i thought

  94. Hoegarden says:

    Hot off the wires (CKAC) 20h44.

    (CKAC)- Selon le journaliste du réseau Sportsnet Louis Jean, le directeur général des Thrashers d’Atlanta Don Waddell aurait mentionné à certains journalistes que le Canadien était prêt à se départir de l’attaquant Chris Higgins dans le but de mettre la main sur l’attaquant Marian Hossa.…

    Quick translation;
    Louis Jean of Sportsnet reports that Waddell mentioned to some journalists that Habs are ready to part with Higgins, in order to land Hossa.

    I may stay up for a while tonight and I hope this is a hoax.

  95. Habs_008 says:

    Waddell might be saying that so other teams can offer more for Hossa, he is smart. Habs offering up Higgins, a team like Detriot now might have to offer a guy like Cleary. Its going to be a fun week…..

  96. habitual says:

    CKAC has more fantasies that a Harry Potter story. A couple of nights ago they reported Ryder being traded for Clarkson. Next they’ll report Auriel Joliet is part of the package.

  97. 24 Cups says:

    Hab008 – No offense here, but Cleary ain’t no Higgins and he’s a UFA to boot. Not even close.

    The Original 24 Cups

  98. Habs_008 says:

    I just said Cleary as an example. What i meant from that comment is, Waddell is saying what the habs are offering, so Other teams can offer MORE.

  99. Blitzen says:

    I understand why Smith didn’t get an instigator against Bégin last night. After being thrown to the ice by Bégin, that would be adding insult to injury. Can you say: “beating the Flyers at their own game?” That was a statement game by Bégin, as in “you’ll have to put me on the bench kicking and screaming”. Guys on RDS were saying yesterday that he told them before the game that he would be crashing the boards big time. I say that if Smokes wants to play again, he should display the same energy.

    Carbo’s statement that letting a 4 on 2 go against you to start a fight was typical Flyers hockey was priceless.

  100. cautiousoptimist says:

    Maybe, but I think the real reason was that Bégin left his feet and got his arm up around the head on the hit, and the refs probably didn’t blame the Flyers captain for avenging what was really a bit of a cheap shot.

    http://www.flickeringpictures.com

  101. habsfan reduxit says:

    “In the Globe and Mail this morning, the news was all about the Flyers seventh straight loss …”

    … so I guess we can say that the blessed Glob and Meal, a Canadian daily newspaper, is geographically challenged. Or else Philadelphia was moved to Ontario overnight and no one was told.

  102. Kevin Mio says:

    The reason for the story in the G&M is that they used Associated Press, which is the U.S. version of Canadian Press. So you can imagine that the writer in Philly would write more about the Flyers losing than the Habs winning. That is just how it is sometimes when you rely on wire services.
    Hope that clears that up.

  103. nightmare_49 says:

    All in one shopping , i love it and saves so much time. This is a great addition and the Habs are not the only one getting better , hats off to the staff of H I/O.

  104. Ed says:

    Kevin, what an excellent addition! Even for those of us who do not speak French, there is always the Google translation to use. I have read all the linked items, and they are interesting.

    Some observations:
    1. The Philadelphia paper said the Habs are more skilled, and more physical. Isn’t that great!
    2. In the Journal de Montreal, Durocher told us how Gorges credited Carey with telling him not to fight, as the Canadiens were headed up ice. A smart, heads up move by Price.
    3. The phillyBurbs blog informed that Downie got his concussion in a 3rd period scrum, when his helmet became dislodged, and he hit his head on the ice when he fell.
    4. In La Presse, Godin informed that this was the first time this year that Smolinski was a healthy scratch, and Begin has not played centre since he played a few games early last year. He did all right as he was 2 for 4.

    Thanks for the links, and I hope that this stays as a regular feature.

  105. Simonus says:

    thanks for bringing back Noise/Bruit.

  106. Blitzen says:

    I love how Stevens is talking about his team’s lack of discipline. You preach gooning and tell your team to be disciplined? Talk about People Unclear On The Concept.

  107. Guy21 says:

    Some interesting facts …for a start to your week….I’m smiling ear to ear

    Plekanec………$1,600,000 this year and next year and he has 21 goals and 33 assists for 54 points and is plus 8

    Briere…………..$6,500,000 this year and next year and he has 21 goals and 33 assists for 54 points and is -21

    I’m so happy that he is not on our team…. obviously we have a much better player-younger and even though worth as much is not being grossly overpaid…….

    I LOVE THE HABS………GO HABS GO

  108. habs12345 says:

    good point

  109. huge_polar_bear says:

    Hello all,

    I am not a big country music fan so can anyone tell me who is the face on the side of Price’s helmet? Is the larger face the same person as the one higher up playing the guitar?

    Thanks,
    Rob

  110. Exit716 says:

    Garth Brooks.
    I just hope Carey doesn’t feel the need to put on a Chris Gaines tribute on the mask.

  111. huge_polar_bear says:

    Thanks it was bugging me…

  112. frank81 says:

    And if Ottawa loses their next game, they’ll also lose their death grip on the number one spot in the conference. Go Philly!

  113. The Teacher says:

    Our nursery rhyme of the week

    One, two, Habs got a few
    Three, four, knocking at the door
    Five, six, pick up sticks
    Seven, eight, play like greats
    Nine, ten, a big spanken
    Eleven, twelve, Higgs top shelves
    Thirteen, fourteen, players a’scoring
    Fifteen, sixteen, Avery’s a’bitchen
    Seventeen, eighteen, girls a’waiting
    Nineteen, twenty, my purse’s empty …

  114. Rastaman says:

    lol…love it!

  115. Peter Young says:

    Yes, but the Globe & Mail desk DELIBERATELY CHOSE to run the Associated Press story, which, as the Globe & Mail desk well knew, took the Philly angle. It could have chosen to run another wire story. The Globe & Mail could have run the Canadian Press story on the game.


Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.