Noise/Bruit: Habs all smiles after sweeping Flyers

We’ve decided to restart a regular News/Bruit column that will give our readers a look at what other media outlets and websites are saying about the Canadiens and their opponents, so let’s get right down to business.

> Pierre Durocher of the Journal de Montréal writes that the Canadiens were smiling after Sunday’s game and expressed satisfaction at being where they are and proving the experts wrong. Durocher also writes that the doors to the Philly locker room stayed closed long after the game as the Flyers held a meeting after their seventh straight loss.

> The headline in the Philadelphia Inquirer reads: Montreal punishes the Flyers.

> In the Globe and Mail this morning, the news was all about the Flyers seventh straight loss and how they can stop the slide.

> With the Canadiens now tied with the Ottawa Senators with 73 points, the Ottawa Citizen looks at the team’s steady decline recently.

> Not only did the Canadiens hand Philly its seventh straight loss,
they took out some of the Flyers in the process, according to Those injured include Steve Downie and Joffrey Lupul.

> Marc Antoine Godin of La Presse writes that with 23 healthy bodies, Guy Carbonneau has to leave three players in the stands every game, and that doesn’t make everyone happy.

1. Chorske says:

Its amazing how well the translators do. Just be careful because some french expressions can yiel dconfusing results. A great example is, “c’est de valeur que…”, which actually MEANS “it is too bad that…” but is literally translated as “it is of value that…”, which is kinda the opposite of what the author intended to say.

Just a wee heads up.

2. Scotty90 says:

FFS…. can you say “Tied for First place” one million times and then maybe you will figure out that it took more than catching Philly in a slump!

3. showey47 says:

I know, i thought today was gonna be a boring day. He seems to hate me most, i’ll take that as a compliment

4. Chorske says:

Dec 27 Toronto gets creamed by Flyers 4-1
    Jan 5 Flyers win again 3-2

5. The Teacher says:

I’ll take a playoff spot any day over having one guy 1 point up in the scoring race over a player for Les Glorieux.

You’re soo funny.

6. Chorske says:

LOL, who cares about last year? In this town you’re only as good as you last three games- heck, sometimes, you’re only as good as your last shift. So don’t talk to us about last year.

How far back you gonna go for your moment of glory? Man, when I was an embryo, I was AWESOME! Heck, even before that, I was awesome. Semen, first class.

7. The Teacher says:

poor guy. poor guy..I’m just laughing so hard right now it’s not even funny….poor guy…

8. The Teacher says:

You describe yourself so succinctly FFS. Good job I applaud you.

9. Chorske says:

Rattler. You’re contradicting yourself.

10. showey47 says:

Just think if he score more powerplay goals they could make the playoffs, that why hockey is a team game, not just one guy, fact.

Could you imagine the laffs if half of their games were not against back up goalies? Or if almost half the nhl refs were not from ontario?

Maybe 25 points, but i think i’m being generous

11. The Teacher says:

Cup winners is also a fact 😀

I remember a lot of heartfelt

“Na na na na
    na na na na
    Goood-byyyyeeeee” ‘s that year.

It was sweet. Too bad you don’t have colour photographs of the Leafs last win.

12. The Teacher says:

Wow, you’re kind of clueless…9 points is crappy. Where is the advantage fact man?

13. Chorske says:

Rattler! We missed you.

14. Chorske says:

Couldn’t agree more, great post.

15. LizardKing1967 says:

Who the heck is this bloody moron Leafs fan? Kisten Fact Sakes….

I have 4 numbers 4 u: 1967!!!!!

16. showey47 says:

Yeah i know, I don’t think he enjoyed my poem much either, lol. I was told by other posters not to retaliate with his clueless facts. But i just like having some fun at his expense, just like i do with the laffs.

17. HKisses says:

And u guys still didn’t make it…..Atleast we Improve….and you guys just get worse…….That wasn’t an answer…u need to name a TEAM..

18. Ian G Cobb says:

If we are 3rd in the league in scoring and we don’t have one player in the top 25. I like that a lot, they cannot key on one or two players because were getting scoring from all over. Also if one or two guys go down to injury, we stay afloat. Unlike Ottawa, Pittsburg, or can you imagine what would happen to Washington if the big O went down. I’ll take a bunch of 20 goal scorers every time.

19. HKisses says:

its funny when WE (HABS FANS) ask questions he doesn’t answer them…liek your question …………..How many teams from southern ontario are gonna make the playoffs this year?
    Guranteed he won’t answer this….

20. Scotty90 says:

I hear the laffs are making some cap space so that they can get Johny Bower back in nets. The hope is that such an addition could attract others such as Bobby Baun and Eddie Shack.

21. The Teacher says:

just in case you missed it above donkey fact master, im reposting it so you can read and understand.

“””””””Huh? Ten games and nine points. Thats sub- .500 buddy. We’re definitely not getting an advantage. I’m sure if we got those points in back to back games we could have managed another 4 wins in 10 games in ANY other situation.

So your facts actually aid our cause. You might want to stop spewing your donkey-ish facts and move on to a new argument. The favourable schedule washes out with the snow today, right down the sewer.

For fact’s sake. Realize it, we are 9 points up on a playoff spot and I expect us to finish in 5th or 6th place.

So, Laughs are handcuffed into maintaining the status quo. Now THAT’S funny!””””””””””‘

22. Ian G Cobb says:

I love the album, Dark Side Of The Moon.

Have you ever been on the other side?

23. showey47 says:

Who knocked the laffs out? An islander team playing a third string who played the night before while the other team was resting.

24. Hoegarden says:

yes indeed, my mistake. My point was on Smolinski finally getting the no-go from Carbo. I’m very anxious to see if he sits the Ranger’s game tomorrow. If that is the case, will BG step in ?

25. showey47 says:

Umm……..they draft some guy from afghanistan to a ten year contract with a no trade clause?

26. Ian G Cobb says:

I’m a little surprised Doug, this has changed since the new rules. Thanks for this.

27. The Teacher says:

Who was the last Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup?

Thank you fact man.

28. showey47 says:

I don’t know, here is a more relevent question. Why do they call it taking a dump, when you are actually leaving a dump? You don’t take it with you. Here’s an even better quesion. How many teams from southern ontario are gonna make the playoffs this year?

29. The Teacher says:

So, Laughs are handcuffed into maintaining the status quo. Now THAT’S funny!

30. Habs_008 says:

Legace did play one more game. It was an OT loss though, it doesnt matter. Price deserves it. He did very well this week.

Doug – It’s interesting that you would mention that. I have often thought that when Ian posts his stats every week it would be nice to see a Hab in the top 25 scorers. We now have Kovalev and I also believe Pleks is very close to being #25. Markov is also #4 in scoring for defensemen. It’s all about little victories and achievements.

The Original 24 Cups

32. Scotty90 says:

you’re too funny!

33. KerryPrice says:

hey hoe,
    While i totally agree with your opinion on smokes, you did err in one of your comments. You said “if Ryder, Latendresse, or Lapierre screw up one night they end up sitting for a couple.” Ryder is the only whipping boy of those three. He sits and sits and sits while “Lafatendresse” and his boy toy Lapierre can do no wrong. Im not going to harp on how much i dislike their play i just had to point out the error in your post. Its good to see smokes finally sit one but its not fair to not sit the under achieving french kid, and the super “pest”.

34. Kevin Mio says:

Point taken. I will try and include more information in the future with respect to French links. Sorry about that and thanks for the input.

– Kevin

35. slamtherimtim says:

does he have to sign with a team by a certin date

36. HKisses says:

He’s not signign with anyone whatsoever…..He said his foot is not in the kind of shape he wants to be playing in the nhl this season

37. Corio says:

PRICE 3rd star of the week in the NHL:

Go Price go!

38. notbigbird says:

I use Google Translator. It’s poor but enough to give me the sense of an article.

39. Hoegarden says:

I agree with Lapierre and his potential. He’s not quite there yet but I would certainly not give up on him.

40. Hoegarden says:

Perfect fit for the Laffs if you ask me.

41. 1010 says:

I’m not sure either team had much of a scheduling advantage. The fact is both teams played four games in six nights. Philly would have played in Long Island on the 12th and then flew home that night. Then they would have; a day off, a home date, a day off and then on to Montreal.
    The habs played two in two nights down south and then two days off, and then Philly. This is a wash. Not a scheduling advantage.

GO HABS.

42. Hoegarden says:

Lappy served his punishment in Hamilton for showing up at training camp with a poor attitude. Lats only sat a couple of games as I recall. We could add Kosto and Dandy, in short the 3rd and 4th liners. Anyway, I feel Smokes has an automatic “go” since the season started. Hopefully he will sit a couple more and get with it for the last 20 games. Habs need everybody chipping in. I’d love to see Chipchura brought back if he continues to “not show up and bleed for the team”.

43. HKisses says:

44. wd40 says:

yeah, that and the nhl refereeing conspiracy. 😉

45. Dru says:

Philly’s next game is against Ottawa. Great time for them to pull up their socks, play hard, goon it up and stop their losing streak.

46. doug says:

totally off topic –

was looking up where Alexei Kovalev is among top scorers – where he is 21. went through the make-up and was surprised to see only ONE american in the top 25 – scott gomez – tied at 25. the breakdown as of today:

canada – 12
    sweden – 6
    russia – 5 (including 1st and 2nd)
    czech republic – 1
    finland – 1
    usa – 1

Amazing lack of diversity given the number of countries represented in the league. number adds to 26 because lidstrom and gomez tied for 25.

47. Blitzen says:

With Ryder, Bégin and Laps having strong games, the only guys I would think Carbo could sit to play Smokes are Dandy and Lats. I’m thinking Dandy sits the next game so Smokes can stop sulking. Smokes can sulk somewhere else next year. I’m sure the Laffs will take him.

48. Stephen York says:

It’s about time that Smokes got to ride the pine – aside from Breezer, I feel he contributes the least to the team effort.

Begin should get the start again tomorrow night after a stellar effort against the Flyers. Not the most talented player, but he brings fire to the team.

As far as Lapierre is concerned, he has a ton of potential. He’s stepped it up in the last couple of games. However, he’s usually pretty lazy, and looks scared on the ice. He could use a healthy scratch or two to kick his butt into gear.

49. HKisses says:

They will trade em away anywayz and put the players they get for the draft picks udner NTC…win win situation…for all of the NHL…stupid Laffs

50. Ed says:

In the link above, as I remember since I read it earlier today, they talk about a scrum in the 3rd period, and Downey says his helmet fell off. He hit his head on the ice when he fell. They did not blame anyone on the Canadiens for the concussion.

51. showey47 says:

I agree with your rant but i’ve yet to see lats or lapierre sit maybe they have and i just don’t remember but, usually the scapegoat is ryder.

52. Hoegarden says:

hi Habitual,

Smolinski is the one who did not react too well at being scratched for last night’s game in Godin’s article.

Not wanting to read between the lines here but I see Carbo “finally” making a statement to both Smolinski and\and Bob Gainey.
    Look at what Begin does compared to Smokes; He skates faster (very easy to do), BUT he hits anything that moves near him, is not afraid of the boards and will drop the gloves anytime. When is the last time you saw Smolinski do any of the above ?

If Ryder, Latendresse or Lapierre screw up one night they usually end up sitting out for a couple. Why must it be these three paying for “whatever they did wrong” the night before and never Smokes when he plays like a wussy rookie with a half dozen eggs in his pants. Like I said, this is just my opinion.

53. showey47 says:

I would like to see the laffs win enough games to finish 9th or 10th, we don’t need them getting high draft picks. With their poor drafting history and innability to develop players this will ensure laff misery for many, many years

54. showey47 says:

Begin channels his frustration positivly by using it on the opposition. Smokes can complain all he wants, he is the worst among all centers in faceoffs on the team which was supposed to be one of his strengths.

55. Blitzen says:

He’s busy scouring the wire to see if Mats has waived his NTC. That IS more important than anything else in the NHL right now you know.

Quite frankly, if the plan is for Sundin to be a rental and come back to the Laffs, I’m not sure any team will be willing to pay a king’s ransom for his services. I think teams are starting to clue in to the fact that trading away your entire future for a rental that more often than not fails isn’t bright.

My hope is that they stay stuck with him and win just enough games to remain miserable.

56. Bean says:

Hey habitual,

Just in case the article in question doesn’t get expanded on in Mio’s post . . .

The article specifically calls out Smokes for being upset after finding out he’d sit. Him and Tom the Bomb stayed out on the ice rather than come talk to reporters.

Godin also wrote about the 3rd and 4th line grinders in general playing musical chairs between the pressbox and the ice, and how it can lead to some personal frustrations. Bégin gets mentioned too, but as a “good solider” who kept his frustration at being scratched mostly to himself as not to create waves and be a distraction for the team.

57. yathehabsrule says:

Is it just me or does that headline make it sound like La Presse loves to rain on the Habs parade…yet again!

58. likehoy says:

this was the reason i started going to this site…the second reason became boone’s blog

59. Scotty90 says:

And the Habs are tied for First with the Sens…. and that my fellow Habs Fans is a FACT!!!!

Mr. Fact man… hellooooo, mr. Fact man…. where R….U…? The most important fact in the NHL right now and you’re not reporting it! Waasssuuuppp?

60. Stephen York says:

Woohoooo…back in the saddle baby!

Could it be that Ryder is back for good? He had a solid game – I’d be surprised if Carbo doesn’t dress him for tomorrow night’s game.

Glad to see Hamerlik back again in these last few games – I didn’t realize what a difference he made on the blue line. Hope he stays healthy for the rest of the season – I can’t bear to watch the Breezer on the power play again…

61. habs12345 says:

3 straight wins

62. habitual says:

Kevin @HIO, it is definitely my problem that my French is pee poor, and not anyone else’s.

So while these links are helpful, what are the chances of adding just a wee bit more info to articles dans francais? For example, even just adding who isn’t happy to the reference to Godin’s article in La Press would help. I know … but thought I would ask.

63. 93miraclecup says:

I’m surprised no one has noticed that the only reason the Habs beat Philly last night was that the flyers had to play back to back games on the weekend! LOL.
    Where is that Facts dude now?

64. Bean says:

Awesome. I’ve missed this feature! Thanks for bringing it back.

(On another site-related note for the HI/O admins, where’d the search function box go? I haven’t seen it for a while – has it been removed?)

65. Chorske says:

Nice comment about Price’s maturity and brains by Durocher- telling Gorges to hold off fighting until the play was completed at the other end of the ice.

66. Chorske says:

LOL, you HI/O boys are SUCH slackers. Cos what this site needs is MORE content!! 😉

Actually this is a fantastic idea, thanks for doing this and again, for the hundredth time: kudos for running what I consider to be the best fan-oriented team blog on the web.

67. nightmare_49 says:

I also want Lats to be like Yvon Lambert but he has a long way to go to be as valueable. Lambert was a very consistant role player that knew what he could do and he did at his best all the time. Lats has better hands but Lambert made few mistakes and was a rock in front of the net and it’s too bad he can’t teach that to Lats and also how to pass to his own players but Carbo thinks he’s the second coming of Michel Goulet. Someone posted Wonderboy Lats.

68. Mr.Hazard says:

I like this one, from the Inquirer:
    “…[the Flyers] were too depleted by injuries to match up with the more skilled, more physical Canadiens…”

Ex nihilo nihil fit

69. Mr.Hazard says:

Bloody right!

Ex nihilo nihil fit

70. wd40 says:

i have no sympathy regarding the injuries the flyers are facing. call it back luck, call it karma. an expression comes to mind: when you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

71. Sulemaan says:

It’s good to see players are pissed off when they are sitting out (Dandenault, Smolinski, Begin, etc.) but if they want to play they better deliver the goods on a consistent basis.

In case they forget, there are a few guys named Grabovski, Chipchura and Valentenko (to name a few) who are down on the farm waiting in the wings. If not this season then definitely next.

72. jack waisberg says:

WOW!!! Juast great to watch Les Boys pick themselves off the mat and show grit in the last 3 games.Price is the future but Huet is still the present,
    and together we have a SOLID tandem.I feel it’s time to let The Breezer go
    and wish him bon chance avec un autre equipe.We have arguably the top 6
    defensemen and the luxury of Streit and Dandenault.I would love to see Ryder given more ice after last night and as well hopefuly find a skating coach for Latendresse,He reminds me of Yvon Lambert without the grit.
    Lastly i would hasten to remind my fellow fans of the habs that the fat lady has not sung yet and in our minds i know what we all wish for so lets not jinx the guys nor post comments like the leaf rocket scientists.
    GO HABS!!!!

73. HabsFanInTampa says:

There’s nothing more satisfying than beating the “Broad Street Bullies” at their own game! Not to mention sweeping the season series. The Flyers are constantly touted by the U.S. media of their physical and intimidating play. I’m so proud of our Habs not backing down and actually being the aggressors the last two games against the Flyers, but not necessarily bullies. The frustration was so evident in the Flyers’ players faces. The two on one goal when “what’s his name” from the Flyers wanted to fight and we just kept on playing was priceless! More satisfying was him “jawing” at the ref after we scored. What could he possibly be saying? As someone once said, “to beat a bully, you bully him back and he’ll back down” or something like that 🙂

74. HABZ 24 says:

nice to see we rebounded from our 3 game slide with 2 back to back shows the habs still have heart.with huet hitting his 45 game slide mark, its great to have price back playing solid.if i were bob i wouldnt make any changes,were tied for 1st in the east today,stick with what got us here,no need for trades.unward and upward. luvin it! go habz go!!!

75. Exit716 says:

I don’t think the mainstream Toronto media can quite wrap their Leaf-centric brains around the concept that Montreal might be for real. Remember Healy’s quote about Carbo and Muller being two of the better players if they laced them up? Ron McLean studiously changing the subject any time the Habs do something positive. I could go on and on.