No trades for Habs, but team signs prospect Danny Kristo

The NHL trade deadline passed at 3 p.m. Wednesday without the Canadiens making a deal.

General manager Marc Bergevin did announce the signing of forward Danny Kristo to a two-year contract (2012-13 and 2013-14). He will report to the American Hockey League’s Hamilton Bulldogs.

Bergevin met with the media at 4 p.m. in Brossard, telling reporters: “The trading period started three months ago for us.”

“For me, what happens in the room is as important as what happens on the ice,” Bergevin added. “Now, we have a great chemistry in the dressing room.”

The GM added that he held a lot of conversations with other teams over the last two months, “kicking tires and looking at how can you make your team better.”

He added: “We added a piece yesterday that we felt the price was right and that Davis (Drewiske) could come and help us. So strategy has not changed. We have a plan and it’s to make the Montreal Canadiens better for years to come. I think we have a good core. We have some good young players with a good mix of veterans. We’ve got guys coming through the system that we’re developing and making better, so overall I’m pretty satisfied with the direction the hockey club has been taking.”

Asked if he viewed the Canadiens as a Stanley Cup contender, Bergevin said he sees the team as one that has put itself in a good position to make the playoffs.

“Anything is possible once you make the playoffs,” he said. “We won the President’s Trophy when I was in St. Louis, we lost in the first round. So in the playoffs, anything is possible.”

Kristo, a native of Edina, Minn., was selected by the Canadiens in the second round (56th overall) of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

In 40 games with North Dakota University this season, Kristo posted 26-26-52 totals and was plus-17. He finished tied for second in the NCAA in goals and points, and tied for third in the NCAA with six winning goals. He is one of 10 finalists for the 2013 Hobey Baker Memorial Award honouring college hockey’s top player.

You can watch Bergevin’s press conference by clicking here.

(Photo of Danny Kristo at 2008 NHL Entry Draft, by Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images)

NHL Trade Deadline 2013 coverage, montrealgazette.com

Blue Jackets get Gaborik from Rangers, NHL.com

TradeCentre Page, TSN.ca

1. Wonder what percentage factor team chemistry plays into being a cup contender. If it is over 50%, then MB is a smart man. Why disrupt the chemistry with a big addition. Keep the team cohesiveness, support and mood intact and that will deliver the product. I always say… (read the line below…) and that is what MB is doing, thankfully. Anybody think chemistry is as big a factor as I do?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

2. ed says:

Every time the Habs sign another winger, I keep thinking that’s another player who seems more likely to become an impact forward than Louis Leblanc.

Leblanc will need a full recovery from his injuries by next season or so many prospects will pass him – how about Colberg and Kristo banging on the door? – that there might not even be a spot open for him on the Habs roster.

• The only thing LL will impact is his tooth, sorry to say… Nothin’ special, don’t even know if he’s NHL “ready”

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• thehabs21 says:

it was a homer pick hes nothing special

“I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears”

• He’s pur laine is why he’s still in the organization for the MTL fans perhaps. Hows the scouting going in the Q anyways? Isn’t that one of the mandates of the new management? Any flying Frenchmen in the pipeline?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

3. frontenac1 says:

@timo.Senor Gomez este un Hombre Muy Macho. Viva Gomez! Viva La Revolucion!

4. The Teacher says:

Doing nothing except getting a depth defencemAn was the smart move in my opinion.

5. piper says:

Anyone rather have O’Byrne for a fourth than Drewiske for a fifth?

6. commandant says:

What is happening in Washington.

I can’t remember a trade being kept secret for this late after the deadline. Usually by 3:45-4:00 we have them all.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

7. Rad says:

So Kristo is at 5’11”, 188 lbs now. He’ll probably play pro around 195 to 200. That’s not overly small. Let’s see how his speed translates to the pro level. Bergevin said he has a lot of work to do to reach the next level.

• The way reports keep changing, he’ll be up to 6’1″ and 210 by the time he’s up to the bigs…

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• johnnylarue says:

In terms of raw speed, he’s already approaching NHL ‘elite’ levels IMO. That’s not to say he’s ready for prime time, but he’d have no problems keeping pace in a north-south NHL game at this point.

8. I’ve been curious about Kristo as some sites report him as 5’9″ all the way up (just a joke) to 5’11” and 188 pounds. Hockey Future also has him at 7.5C, so is he as wonderful as is made out on HIO, or a prospect that needs work and size and could be serviceable as a forward.
    Hey… after all the talk of needing size up front, we keep adding smurfs and with DD and Gally, we could have the first line of Hobbits that can do some damage, just skating circles around the giants (See Jack the Giant Killer)

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

So what’s Bergevin saying? I imagine since he’s on TV giving interviews Washington thing has nothing to do with Habs.

10. Les Canayens says:

When O’Byrne was a Hab he said he wanted to model himself after Komisarek who he considered a role model. Now his wish finally comes true as he’ll be able to follow Komisarek all the way to the Marlies.

11. frontenac1 says:

@loonie.Been there done that. I agree ,he should be fine.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Kristo looks like Mark Zuckerberg…minus a trilion bucks…

12. habs11s says:

MB stays the course of building the youth and not giving up anything big for short term gain while signing a great prospect. Today was a good day to be a Habs fans!

_____________________________________________________________

• Loonie says:

MB didn’t pull the trigger on a deal or two that would have negated weaknesses that this team has going into the playoffs at a time when its considered a favourite to go relatively far.

It’s a bad day to be a Habs fan.

All about perception man.

13. Loonie says:

Teams that have won the Cup since the lockout have on average been around the #15 mark in fighting.

14. Sportfan says:

LOL Did anyone see what happened to Jennifer Hedger? The clips weren’t with what she was saying and she got lost so many times was kind of funny.

15. Storman says:

Who is going to step up and replace Armstrong’s scoring, Mathieu Darche is available, HOLY DUMBASS batman I was joking, Armstrong’s scoring needing to be replaced lol and by Darche who cant score in an old age home..

16. frontenac1 says:

Hardly any scraps in the playoffs? Did you miss the whole First Round last year?It was great!

17. habsfan0 says:

Predictions for tonight:

Habs beat Flyers,ending a 2 year winless streak in Philadelphia.
    Blue Jays lose to Cleveland again,fall to 0-2 on the season,sending Torontonians into a panic.

18. Bob McKenzie tweets: “Bizarre levels of secrecy/intrigue over imminent WSH announcement.”

19. ont fan says:

MB on TSN in a couple of minutes

20. donmarco says:

Pens get Iginla, Crosby goes down. Bruins get Jagr, Bergeron goes down. Hockey Gods starting to work a little earlier than usual this year?

21. HabFanSince72 says:

So the Rangers have gotten worse haven’t they ?

22. Ghosts of the Forum says:

John Lu ‏@JohnLuTSNMtl 4m
    #Habs Bergevin on Kristo’s off-ice issues: “He’s on the right track. Wasn’t the 1st, won’t be the last.We’ll surround him with good people.”

What off-ice issues? Not another Kostistyn, is it???

23. Storman says:

How about that Holmgren, he trades his back up to Columbus who then supplants there goalie to become number 1, and he then trades for there back up to replace the back up he traded there to become their back up, LOL, GM of the year

24. frontenac1 says:

So far so good for Marc IMO. Been saying for awhile now ,I like the current team and the new Lad on D apparently can clear the crease. Just wish we had an enforcer to help out Prust especially in the first round. Anybody know if this Kristo lad is ready for the Big Club?

• donmarco says:

I thought O’Byrne would have been a good fit, and would have liked Torres as insurance in case Armstrong doesn’t come back, but like you I like this team,I like the message Bergevin is sending to his players, and I LOVE our future.

• Mr. Biter says:

Kristo could be ready (I think he can play up to 3 games without 2012 contract kicking in), but as I posted below if he performs real well the Habs will have to choose whether to burn his 2012 contract on the remaining games and playoffs so we better go a long way.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• donmarco says:

He’s apparently going straight to Hamilton so I doubt we’ll see him this year.

• mrhabby says:

I bet he cannot wait to get to Hamilton.

• Luke says:

He hears the T-H-N-B, The deisel turning, Calling you and he, to the city of steel, smoke stack and a spinning wheel…

• Mr. Biter says:

Just to see how he does down there in his first few starts. He’ll be up to play his Min. games before his 2012 contract kicks in to see how he plays.
          See, go to College, only sign a 2 year deal and if you show instant promise and play with the Habs during the playoffs, next year you could already be a RFA by years end. No dummy this boy or his agent.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

25. Born in a Bad Year says:

Per TSN player transactions…

“Columbus Blue Jackets traded Steve Mason to the Philadelphia Phillies for Michael Leighton and a 3rd round selection in 2013.”

He really better work on his glove hand.

Lets see Bob Gainey multiple Stanley Cup Winner as player, Stanley Cup winner as GM in Dallas, or Brian Lawton whose greatest playoff success as a player was 11 games with Phoenix Roadrunners in the AHL and failed miserably as GM in Tampa. Yup, I sure do love listening to Lawton tell stories of his greatness.

27. Loonie says:

If you believe what Brian Lawton said this morning, I advise you to never step foot onto the lot of a car dealership.

Ever.

28. govenah says:

I dunno
    O’byrne for a 4th
    or Drewiske for a 5th
    Toronto will be tougher to play against unless our scouts know something most of us don’t. Who would win in fisticuffs?

29. Sportfan says:

Bourque comes back soon healthy there’s our player we need :P

30. frontenac1 says:

Bruins are toast amigos. Redden? Jagr? Are they now the Oldest team in the League? Bergeron out with another conkie? Too bad. I liked the lad even though he is a Bruin.

31. Was looking at our prospects on Hockey Future and I was bewildered at how Collberg could have a probability of success of a “D” rating, but have a talent rating of “8”? Huh? something screwy here. Seems like he’s more of a “B” to me…

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

32. Sportfan says:

The Gaborik Trade caught me off guard! What do you guys think about that trade?

33. Loonie says:

Here’s why Jay Feaster is bad at his job.

Glencross, Giordano, Baertschi and Brodie were untouchable.

Really? But Bouwmeester and Iginla weren’t? And you got THOSE returns for them?

Good work Jay. You’re welcome in our division whenever you wanna come over.

34. HabFanSince72 says:

I just read very quickly through the old thread. So Kipper gave up a chance to win the cup? Which team did he veto? Pittsburgh or Chicago?

35. ClutchNGrab says:

The way Gillis is handling the Luongo situation reminds me a lot of how Burke handled the Karberle situation.

These guys are annoying.

36. Strummer says:

So nobody wants Lulongo (Cherry pronunciation)?

I heard he’s good in the room.

Hey Gillis- have you tried waivers?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

37. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Boston’s Bergeron has a concussion…Crosby’s out…Habs getting better by subtraction…

38. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Bob Gainey should just come out and tell the truth about the proposed Lecavalier trade…why let this idiot Lawton spread lies about his competence?

• Loonie says:

Why care about anything that Brian The Bust(aptly named) Lawton has to say?

• Sportfan says:

I agree Gainey should just shut him up, Lawton was the dumb jerk who went around telling the other GMs what Gainey was offering.

• Garbo says:

Who says it’s lies?

• Loonie says:

Ever hear Bob Gainey say anything about Price that would lead you to believe that this team wasn’t built with him at the centre of it?

That’s why it’s a lie. That and the the “truth” about the deal coming out more than two years after the fact when what was widely reported at the time was never refuted.

• Strummer says:

Exactly- Gainey made his bed with Price in 2008 when he shipped Huet out.

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• PeterStone says:

Didn’t gainey also say hiring Guy Carbonneau was his “best move” as GM? What happened a couple of months later ?

• Storman says:

If what Lawton says is true, blind faith in MB or any leader should never be encouraged. That is why I like how MB has got a huge team around him to bounce and debate and scout properly.. Gainey made many mistakes although I hope this one that got nixed by a Tampa Bay owner was not one of them…because if this is a trade he was considering he should retire from any type of GM or Pro Scouting evaluation work..

• ooder says:

what did you hear/when? i would be intrested in hearing what the deal was

39. Sportfan says:

Frankly I wish we had somehow gotten Torres or Kopecky etc but I’m happy with what we have and Kristo signing was great news!

40. Rainrocket16 says:

Should have at least added some depth today. Playoffs will break this team!

41. habzfan2003 says:

Anyone know when MB will hold a press conference?

42. jedimyrmidon says:

Will Danny Kristo be better than Matt Frattin?

Both were teammates at UND with Frattin being older. Frattin in his final year also had a very good season offensively (comparable to Kristo’s) and was also among the finalists for the Hobey Baker.

• twilighthours says:

Jury is still out on Frattin. He’s looked promising, other times looked invisible.

• Loonie says:

Frattin’s a good player in my opinion. I wouldn’t make the comparison but there wouldn’t be anything wrong with it.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Frattin’s hard to figure out for me.

Seems like he shoots at incredibly high shooting percentages at certain times then goes cold (maybe).

He looks like a very solid player on his skates, but there isn’t really anything exciting or dynamic about him. He doesn’t strike me as a Top 6 player.

Kristo, on the other hand, if he is to succeed in the NHL, will most likely need to play in a Top 6 capacity instead of a checking role.

43. Alex_425 says:

Soooo, how was everyone’s Trade Flatline Day?

But I’m no expert….

44. Frank2468 says:

Surprised no moves today, not. Since 1980 habs only made about 20 trades at the deadline. Other teams got a little better and a little tougher today just hope that D.D and Gally aren’t used as rail road spikes come play off time .

• twilighthours says:

No worries there. No one is building railroads anymore. What is this, an Ayn Rand novel?

• thehabs21 says:

Well get ready for it. Playoff hockey is much different and we are mostly smurfs

45. HFL says:

Hey my buddy just told that back in 2009 Gainey and Tampa had a done deal for Lecalvalier, which involved Paciotetty, Subban, Price and a first rounder going there way. Apparently the only reason the trade did not go through was because the Tampa owner vetoed the trade. Is this at all true, and if so, how bad would this team look if that trade went though.

46. Bogie Man says:

I am disappointed but not surprised that we could not get Torres or pominville. I think they were the only two available worth throwing the bank at. It is tough in our market to make such acquisitions as we were limited in what we could or wanted to offer. Now we need to hope we stay relatively healthy and make a push for May with what we have. Hold on to your seats as this will be a roller coaster ride!

I think it is pretty fair to assume that Diaz and Bourque are recovering nicely given the lack of moves from Habs today. While it may have been nice to get a Torres or something like that, we also have not made any bad moves giving up something we would regret.

If the team continues to play as it has, we should be in for an entertaining playoffs.

Oh yah, we signed the kid who was destined to go to the Wild or anywhere but the Habs. Nice. Good call on that Storman!

48. Newf_Habster says:

I am happy that I went to work instead of wasting my time to watch TSN Tradecentre all the day cuz I knew it was going to be real boring.

49. shiram says:

Called it, no big moves.
    This year the playoff will be a trial for alot of new Habs player, and with the information gathered after the playoffs GMMB will make moves to make sure the team can win it all.

50. habsfan0 says:

Is Boone AWOL?

So much for the hope to have dd moved for a bigger more aggressive forward. Ah well.

52. twilighthours says:

Luongo is a great guy with a fantastic attitude. I’d love to have him on my team.

As a backup.

At a tenth the salary.

For a quarter of the term.

Still, good guy.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

He should have gone to free agency and left for Florida when he had a chance. Gillis should have let him go by now. There is no loyalty anymore…

• Storman says:

Pretty good presser he gave, stand up guy , some good straight answers to tough questions

53. frontenac1 says:

Anybody know if we have any Enforcers hidden away in the farm somewhere?

54. God that song in Kristo’s video fills me full of hockey fire!!!!

Settle down Shane still a few hours to go.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

55. Loonie says:

Marc Antoine Godin reporting the Habs are trying to coax Magnus Nygren to Hamilton.

56. Luke says:

OK, So Ginger Snaps has signed a two year deal. Does the remainder of this season, played in the AHL, burn year 1?

(Sorry about Ginger Snaps… tried i tout. Don’t like it. Was thinking like if “ginger snaps a wrister top shelf past Scrivens to complete the sweep” but yah, it doesn’t work at all).

57. issie74 says:

Nice to hear Collberg will be joining Bulldogs.

NorthTOHab

58. Habilis says:

Bigger Doofus:

Mike Gillis for not softening on his demands?

Dave Nonis for refusing to offer anything more than a bag of pucks for a pretty good goalie?

Gillis also comes off looking like an idiot for his BS that 4 teams were beyond kicking tires. As Luongo says, there were no deals offered.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I’d hate it if the Leafs got Luongo while fleecing the Nucks.

The hype would never end.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

They are playing a game of chicken. Gillis thought To’s goaltending would collapse during the season and they would be desperate. The opposite has happened. Now Gillis is hoping To’s goaltending collapses in the playoffs…

59. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Kristo and Gallagher look like the “Little Rascals”…

60. Cal says:

Finally! All that Crisco speculation is over. He’s signed and there was never anything to worry about. He will make the team quite quickly. Lots of speed with good hands= a keeper.

61. habfaninyyc says:

I hope Kristo has packed on a lot of weight/muscle since he was drafted, he looks tiny!!

62. twilighthours says:

Also, happy with the Crisco signing. A team can’t have too many gingers.

63. twilighthours says:

Repost. Probably not worth it but here it is:

Torres? Really? I’d actually be OK with it but a lot of you folks wouldn’t, would you? Lots of people on here have vilified him over the years.

It sounds like a deal was there to be done for this guy. It seems reasonable that Bergevin could have upped the anti on the 3rd rounder that SJ gave up. Maybe MB balked at the extra year/salary that he carries with him.

Other than Torres, no one that we needed or had a realistic shot at getting (maybe one of those CBJ forwards) got dealt. Certainly not the tough or PP-guy defencemen that we had in mind.

So I guess there wasn’t much that slipped by Bergevin.

• Kooch7800 says:

The thing I liked about torres was he is a good grinder especially in the long series and we now might not have Armstrong for a little while. He also can chip in offensively and has playoff experience

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• twilighthours says:

I like Torres too. I think he’s a lot cleaner/more honest player than his huge rap sheet indicates.

My fear with Torres is that he also has the ability to fire up the other team with his cheap shot hits. Having said that, MB probably offered a 3rd, but San Jose’s 3rd round pick looks better right now. No way you can give up a 2nd for him. Assumptions on my part I realize.

• Kooch7800 says:

We don’t have to fear now as we lost out. I just hope we have enough gritt in the 7 game series. Man I hope the Rangers don’t sneak into 7th.
          Their goaltender could get hot and they got a lot better up the middle

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• jmsheehy19 says:

I would not have been ok with Torres.

64. habsfan0 says:

Washington to announce trade?

65. Bill H says:

That is great news that Kristo will be reporting to Hamilton. It seems a long shot that he could make an impact with the Canadiens this year. But who knows? Maybe next year.

• I’m hoping he plays a few games there to test his mobility in the NHL and to get used to the speed and then to see him in the lineup for the stretch run. Nothing like adding speed to your game even if it;s on the fourth line. Whether Therrien agrees with that I don’t know, he’s more of a earn your way into a lineup old school guy.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

66. Luke says:

Even in a picture with nothing as reference, Kristo looks small.

67. Luke says:

Funny how O’Byrne is a good addition for the Leafs.
    A Depenadable Dman with size, they say.
    Once upon a time all he was was a Purse-Snatching-Own-Goal-Scorer.

• Loonie says:

#keepjakegardinercaptive

• Born in a Bad Year says:

Now he is ahead of Komisarek in a team’s depth chart. Actually a good pickup for the leafs, he was in a really good pairing with Liles in Colorado.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think MB was smarter to get a depth d-man from a Stanley Cup champion for a 5th instead of getting one from a last place team for a 4th.

• jedimyrmidon says:

@markhmasters: Ryan O’Byrne brings 19 games of NHL playoff experience to a young Leafs roster; also part of Hamilton’s ’07 Calder Cup

Sounds like Masters is ‘advertising’ O’Byrne’s playoff experience as a selling point.

Sort of like how he was advertising Reimer’s ECHL playoff experience.

Big difference between NHL playoffs and anything else. Even bigger difference having multiple veterans on a team who have gone all the way.

19 games is nothing.

• HFX-HabFan says:

Most of those 19 games came in the 2010 playoff run when Martin benched him for most of the third (leaning on Gill and Gorges instead), and he only averaged like 10 minutes a game.

68. CalgaryHab says:

TSN said that Habs made a pitch for Raffi Torres but lost out to San Jose’s 3rd round pick.

69. Alex_425 says:

New thread, so let’s start talking about the amount of calories Price burns during a game.

But I’m no expert….

70. AndyF says:

Robert Luongo on why he’s had a unhappy time the last 2 years: “My contract sucks! … I’d scrap it if I could right now.”

It’s refreshing to hear a player be so honest. Simply stated, even he thinks his contract is too much for too long. Sad, as I know he’s a good guy and wants to play well every night.

71. Loonie says:

If Luongo thinks his contract sucks there’s probably around 7 billion people in the world who would take it.

72. Best Move they made all day!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

73. habsfan0 says:

I believe so.
    The Habs have lost their last 4 games in Philadelphia,at any rate.

74. habsfan0 says:

3 years,almost to the day.
    Their last victory there came approximately 6 weeks before they dropped all 3 games in Philly during the playoffs.

75. habsfan0 says:

Guess who was in nets for the Habs the last time they won in Philadelphia?

Hint: it wasn’t Price.

It was a 1-0 shutout by some Czechoslovakian goalie that I’ve never heard of.