No time to mope

PK

The Canadiens are in Winnipeg, where they will try to break a four-game losing streak and give Randy Cunneyworth a Christmas present.

Pat Hickey’s Chicago game story

Quotes from the room

Red Fisher on floundering Habs

Pierre Ladouceur’s game report card

Feature on Brendan Gallagher

1. Holy Merry Christmas

I am an in on two seats for tonight’s game.

Stay Tuned

CAREY CAREY CAREY

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

2. lenny says:

For the first time in a long time I turned off the game last night.
    The fact that they were losing wasn’t the issue. It was just boring, bland, hockey.
    The Team looks petrified and defeated…It’s a sad state of affairs.

Making the situation even worse is the way Mr Molson has allowed this team to be run. When Ganey stepped down (embarrassed over the Gomez fiasco) PG was appointed GM, no one was interviewed….What a freaken Joke!

• avatar_58 says:

Should have had Yzerman if they’d have bothered to look.

• TomNickle says:

What has he done again? Drafted a kid that refused an MRI, alienated teammates and injured a national teammate.

Hired a coach to instill a boring system in a market that needs to sell tickets.

Acquired Dwayne Roloson and gave him a contract extension at the spring chicken age of 43.

I wish I could walk into a GM job where I had Hedman, St.Louis, Stamkos and Lecavalier and get pats on the back for the talent I didn’t acquire leading me to a conference final.

• Yzerman doesn’t speak french.

3. Propwash says:

Maybe Gionta not being on the ice has a bigger effect than what we give him credit for.

_____________________________
    Being negative has its advantages,
    you’re never disappointed.

4. Ton says:

I’m told PG will go in the next two weeks if slide continues> talk of savard as interim GM ( a la Cliff Fletcher) for the remainder of season. He will select next GM

• TommyB says:

Which Savard? Anyway, might as well add an interim GM to go along with the interim coach and this whole interim season.

• TomNickle says:

If they don’t win tonight I would expect Gauthier to be gone after the holidays.

Way too much time to stew over a five game losing streak following a coaching change. Molson won’t want Gauthier trying to screw up the future to save his own backside and the players need to be shown that the no hearted efforts are unacceptable.

• Chrisadiens says:

I’m told Molson had a smoked meat sandwich for lunch. He enjoyed it very much and washed it down with a Molson Export.

Sorry to be a smartass, but there is no way to confirm these rumors.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• habinkam says:

My dad is an avid reader habs fan since 59′ actually turned me on to this site. He does not post though as his writing skills are not strong. In fear his opinion might be overshadowed by grammatical “struggles”, as we all know people aren’t always so friendly.
        Cheers to you both!

5. mr_jmac says:

What happened to all the “character” we have in the dressing room? Someone has got to stand up and call out this team. The Cole line and in particular Cole seems to be the only guy laying all out on line every shift.

The team needs to play with the same intensity as they seem to play with on the penalty kill for the rest of the game …

6. billylove says:

Do you think Winnipeg has forgotten Price’s comments after the opener?

7. savethepuck says:

Dear Santa, I know it is 3 days early, but could you please bring me a Habs Win tonight so I don’t have to go through 5 days of the holiday season knowing my team is on a 5 game losing streak.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

8. habsfan_61 says:

wow this year is turning out to be a big car wreck. team is unwatchable and sans emotion. as someone stated in another post, looks like the houle years.i feel sorry for cunny and the crap thats going on. now i read one of those squirrley separtists groups plan a demo at the next home game. what next?

pg should go soon. lets not go nuts with despate trades of everyone in feb. im sure once the new cba gets signed in the off season, the uno who situation gets resolved somehow and perhaps other salaries come off the books either via ufas or trades. change for the sake of making changes does not work.

either way go habs go, they are “our” team through thick and thin( lots of thin these days though). hoping for a better second half.

an early merry , safe and happy xmas to all hioers,boone and company and your families. lets all wish and have santa bring a better team under our trees.

9. Ton says:

just want to remind everyone of the connection between gainey and PG. PG is the general manager and makes all decisions. Gainey is an advisor only. Think of the players signed by Gainey and the players he decided to pass up on. Do the same for PG. You will see Gainey has made some smart decisions. (good playoff runs) Think of the players he passed on Kovelev, Sooray, koivu, etc. There two different legacy’s. Judge them separately.

• And if we still had weak willed GM’s like Houle, do you really think we would have kept Price and traded Halak? Would we have been patient with PK or rushed him? Or traded him. I’ve never been a Gainey basher and never will. He was essentially railroaded out of town by the french media. And he spoke french.

• Ton says:

no no no. gainey was tired, burn out, personal issues that go back a long ways………….he also made out huge in the sale of the team in regards to bonuses, remember canadiens made a marketing comeback and he was part of it.

• I have no problems with anyone making bonuses (although how you would know how he personally profited from the sale is beyond me), but he is, in my opinion, the last executive this team had who never gave in to outside pressure. He had a plan and stuck to it, win or lose ne never panicked.

• Ton says:

its not a secret, it was published in an article featuring george Gillett and his son, investments he’s made and how he turns them around. Gillett’s first choice was Gainey and he flew him down to Colorado to be interviewed . i will see if i could find it.

10. Chuck says:

Question: is it too early call the Habs store in the Bell Centre and have them make up a Yakupov jersey?

11. Shane1313 says:

The team isn’t that bad. We just have zero confidence. PK will be that game changer when he starts playing like he can. Look no further than Drew Doughty and Tyler Myers for elite D-men that had a bad sophomore year.

Tony Marinaro called out Cammalleri on his radio show. About time. I wish someone from the HIO had a pair to call him out instead of feeding him same 1000 times rehashed questions.

13. Marcusman says:

WE have the same amount of points as we did this time in 2009… and that run turned out ok….maybe we’ll get all of our slumping out of the before March…

You know we may have Mr. Markov back in 2-3 weeks he could help. We still have a world class goalie…and more than a few that can put the puck in the net…

WE get six, seven men on base and hit a home run ..bamm we’re back in this thing.

The train went off the tracks the moment we left Winnipeg maybe the express train back to the promise land will be waiting for us in Winterpeg.

Play Emelin already!

14. HabFanSince72 says:

Does anyone have any info on the following?

1 Mikhail Grigorenko (C, Russia )
    2 Nail Yakupov (RW, Russia )
    3 Filip Forsberg (LW, Sweden)
    4 Ryan Murray (D, Canada )
    5 Matt Dumba (D, Canada )

• Ali says:

Grigorenko has a coach by the name of Roy…

• Chrisadiens says:

I wish Serious was here…..

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• TomNickle says:

Yakupov, Forsberg and Murray are NHL ready today.

Dumba and Grigorenko aren’t.

Yakupov is a little Nick Backstrom, Forsberg is a little Forsberg and Murray is a little Doughty.

• Malreg says:

Since SF is still rebelling, here’s what I could find:

Grigorenko is being called a Joe Thornton clone. Big, strong with the puck, and a great playmaker.

Yakupov is more of a goal scorer. Very talented, not very big YET. Some repots have him at 5″10, some others 6″0, but he still has time to grow. He’s being compared to a Pavel Bure/Taylor Hall type of player.

Filip Forsberg:
      “He’s got good size, great skill, and excellent determination. He’s more of a sniper than a playmaker. His skating isn’t elite, but it’s not poor either. He’s charismatic, and he’s got some leadership intangibles (he was captain of the Swedish team that won the silver medal at the Hlinka this past summer). Bob McKenzie’s panel of scouts compared his style of play to Mats Sundin. Craig Button compared him to Brendan Shanahan.”

• habinkam says:

Dumba is an under 6′ thundering defenseman big shot decent skater think of gorges but more physical and slightly offensively gifted.. minus a few inches tho maybe Emelin is a better example

15. avatar_58 says:

By the way I once commented that Gainey had fixed years of being a “crap” franchise. It was respected – UFAs like Cammy and Gio were drawn, etc

Gauthier has destroyed it. Not talking to UFAs (Wiz, Moore), trading players and not telling them where they are going (Halak, Spacek), bad trades, this french BS, no worthwhile coach in sight, etc

The franchise is a joke again. As a free agent, why the hell would I sign here? I mean really? The team has regressed to the mess is was post ’93 – early 2000′s. Worse yet – there’s no end in sight.

• Timo says:

I tend to disagree. I think PG just took over and continued the destruction.

• Ali says:

I agree. Bob Gainey, as much as I love him, effed this team completely when he went shopping for all his UFA’s couple of years ago.

• Canayens says:

With Koivu and Kovalev at their twilight, Komisarek losing his mojo, Ryder, Higgins struggling, if he did not blow up the team at the time, most will accused him of being the most boring GM by doing nothing.

It was a gamble and it worked for 1 1/2 season.

• avatar_58 says:

Do you remember what it was like pre-gainey? Sorry he fixed more than he broke. It’s not his problem the UFAs are being held on to like they are untradeable. The miracle run of 2009 was awesome. Don’t pretend it didn’t happen.

The Gauthier moves (or lack thereof) after that are what made the current team. Martin should have been let go ages ago, not before a long road trip. Kaberle? Really? Campoli? Oh but Wiz wasn’t good enough right? Nokalainen over Metro/Moore? Yeah A-effin-+ on that one. Auld/Budaj have both sucked as backups, good job hoping Price can carry the team for 80 games.

Sorry I blame Gauthier, not Gainey

• Ali says:

Who picked Gauthier as successor? Gainey. Who included McDonagh in the Gomez deal? Gainey. Who got nothing for Ribeiro? Gainey. Who started this stupid tradition of not negotiating during the season? Gainey. Who didn’t fix the problem of a PP triggerman causing us to trade 2nd round picks continuously for short-term fixes like Schneider and Wiz instead of addressing it properly?

• Timo says:

I remember. Pretty much same as it is now with most of Gainey’s prized acquisitions delivering the goods.

• Chrisadiens says:

If Molson is willing to eat a LOT of money, the end is in sight. A penalty free buyout period would be great this offseason. Our prospects look great. We have 5 players in the tourney this year. We have a franchise goaltender, PK should be fine. We have pieces, it will just be another couple of years I think.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

16. Ali says:

Anyone else see it coming? The Goat trades PK to try and save his job one more time. It’s his last act of desperation that he hasn’t tried yet.

17. montreal ace says:

Habs have not spent an extra dime to replace talent that has been injured,seems money and product on the ice go together. This team is saving money at the moment, but I dont think its being done because Molson is cheap. We are getting to see the so called talent we have on the team and its ok but nothing more. I was surprised when we called up Fred St Denis, and he looked good compared to guys marked way higher on the depth chart. I as a fan over valued our roster. Brendon Nash I thought he had top shelf talent where is he in relation to returning to the lineup.

18. longtimehabsfan says:

As I wrote here a few days ago this looks like an impending fire sale. If so, why wait. Bring in a new GM before the trading deadline. If we’re going to blow it up again, get the process rolling already. Things have gone from bad to worse. What a shame. And what a total mishandling of the franchise.

“It’s a moo point. Like a cow’s opinion, it doesn’t matter. It’s moo.”

19. avatar_58 says:

It’s going to be amazing when Markov comes back and sucks due to recovery/lack of play time. Hell will truly rain down then

20. Dr.Rex says:

WIth Jacques Martin we were playing not to lose. Now shootout losses feel like an unattainable goal.

21. HabFanSince72 says:

This morning I stained my shirt while eating a piece of hot buttered toast. I can’t go home and change. Stepping out at lunchtime to buy a new shirt is impractical during xmas shopping season and with the streets being so icy.

Why am I telling you this? Because it has allowed me to feel the Goat’s predicament.

See, I am walking around with a big stain on my shirt and I really have no one to blame but myself. Sure, I could go blame the guy who buttered the toast (aka a Pearning) but would that be reasonable? He was maybe a bit over-generous with the butter(*), but isn’t that a good thing?

Like Gauthier, my only option to fix the problem is an expensive and unwise purchase.

And this is where the Goat is: walking around with a stained shirt and no way out.

(*) In fact I think it was margarine instead of butter, which is like trading for the NJ Gomez and getting the NYR Gomez instead.

• G-Man says:

Kovalchuk. Feel better?

• Rudy says:

This is why I risk getting in trouble at work for spending so much time here :)
      Love it!!

• sackabooboo says:

I love hot buttered toast!!!!

_______________________________________________________
      Why does something I have no control over have so much control over me….

• bellcentre hotdog says:

I am a raisin bread toast with butter guy myself.

Raisin bread toast would be like the Cole signing … consistently good.

• Canayens says:

Then when you go to a store to get some Tide Instant Stain Remover, just as you’re paying it at the cashier, an OLF officer arrived and removed all the remaining stock, which are in English only, because due to the holidays’ high demand, the bilangual stock ran out and the store had to get them directly from some US suppliers. You’re left holding an English only Stain Remover, afraid to use it fearing the OLF will take away your only hope to fixing your stain. You use it anyway, but the butter stain won’t go way, it’s been sitting there for too long. Now the OLF officer saw it and is about to remove it from your hand….

22. Dr.Rex says:

I say send Cammy to Hamilton for a “conditioning” stint.

Although Gomer is a lost cause at least at times he skates and touches the puck periodically. The only time Cammy has touched the puck in the last month is in the neutral zone and he just dumps it in and frequently fails to even do that. Just pathetic

FOr those fans who have also put a silver lining on the Gomez trade by saying we couldnt have gotten Cammy and Gionta without it, How do you feel now?

23. saf says:

This French-English controversy is real and regardless of how I or others may feel about it, it will not go away. However the truth is that what is really hurting this team, I suspect, is that the tax differential between Quebec and a state (or another province even) is pretty large. I’d love to see a report on what an equivalent salary is in Chicago for instance. That is, if you are paid $6 million in Montreal, what would you have to paid in Chicago to have the same after-tax (net) salary? I wonder if those same politicians would jump on that issue (not that I think they should).

24. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

PG’s dumbest move? Firing Jacques mid-season.

We have gone from a bubble playoff team to scum suckers. I am not blaming Cunneyworth, he will be a good coach one day if not already.

We have been thrown into disarray. If PG was so convinced Markov is coming back, why not wait until he and the rest of our wounded return to see if we can move up in the standings while we still have a chance? Panic and incompetence. His worst move yet, and it will define his tenure.

• Everlasting1 says:

BG’s dumbest move? Hiring Jacques off-season. It’s his system.

——————————————————————-
      “For I will go through the land of Egypt on that night, and will smite all the first-born in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the Gods of Egypt I will execute judgments: I am the LORD.” Exodus 12:12

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• adesbarats says:

Maybe it was his intent to throw the team into disarray to induce a tank season perhaps?

I also wonder if Markov will be back at all this season with the move to grab Kaberle seeming to confirm this. After all, why make a panic move to grab Kaberle to QB your PP when Markov is supposed to be back after Xmas?

25. Rudy says:

With the NTC these big guys have, can they still be sent to Hamilton if we can’t trade them? Do you think any of them are worried about being traded or shipped to Hamilton?

• Dr.Rex says:

I say just leave them in Winnipeg. Trust me they would smarten up real fast.

• habsnyc says:

the guys are not worried because the team has no one with whom to replace them.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• saf says:

a NTC usually just either limits the teams you can be traded to or requires your permission to be traded. I don;t think it restricts you from being sent down to the AHL. The real nasty one is a no-movement clause which means you can’t even be put on waivers or sent down to Hamilton.

26. ont fan says:

So now we should trade our veterens and leave it up to our scouting department. Gulp!

27. habsnyc says:

The wounds go deep. They never seem to heal. The French press was cooking PG last night. Whenever a raw nerve is struck, it goes back to firing Savard and trading Roy. Lucky for Quebec’s collective psyche that LeClair’s anscestors moved to Vermont. Or it would be that much worse. Montreal atoned for 80 in 93 by winning with Denis Savard. The only atonement for trading Roy is for him to coach this team to a Cup.

PG is not being vilified just for Markov or Kaberle but for the ghost of everything that has been wrong with this franchise for decades. No way he can withstand it. He has been Houled and Andre Savarded and Gaineyed. He is weighed down by errors of the past that are beyond his ability to correct. And instead of lightening the burden for his successor, he has through his own stupidity made it that much worse. Himself Houling and Gaineying this ship, bogging it down with wretched baggage before ramming into an iceberg of bad publicity.

But, the DNA of the fan base will never let any of us admit it is over. Each year brings the potential of Habs miracles. Too many men on the ice, 50 saves, illegal stick. If those can happen, then three points back in the hunt for a playoff spot is a piece of cake.

We can be sick of it but we cannot turn away from the trainwreck. Fire PG, bury Gomez, move Leblanc to the first line. Take a deep breath and hope that the illusion of progress is a salve to the wounds.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• sevenman says:

” The only atonement for trading Roy is for him to coach this team to a Cup. “….You do remember Roy quit and wanted out.

• habs178 says:

I would’ve wanted out too after being left in during a craptastic game where I should’ve been pulled.

“How would you like a job where, every time you make a mistake, a big red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?”
        ~Jacques Plante

• habsnyc says:

There were two mistakes with Roy. The first was humiliating him untili he wanted to leave. The second was trading one of the best goalies of all time for zero return.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

28. Goderichab says:

Do you think any of the so-called injured are “rushing” to return to a lost cause?
    There seems to be a total lack of spirit or desire on the team, on the ice or in the infirmary!
    Does this team have a chance…not likely.
    RDS ” animateurs” brought up a topic last night and briefly discussed it…
    This language thing can not bode well for recruiting or trying to get
    trade offers accepted…
    I’m sorry but all the hype about this team, veterans and also ran, had the fans believing they could go somewhere…
    A realistic look and the team and the players, would put them, with the exception of one or two, well down the rating list of 3rd or fourth stringers.
    The beauty of the faithful is they keep dreaming of a turn around or the possiblity of getting value for these has beens in the trade market!
    Give your head a good shake and look around the league at the competition, other that Carey Price, is there any GM in his right mind willing to trade for a Habs cast off.
    Until and unless the Habs start drafting intelligently, chopping the heads off the free loading millionaires, they will continue to wallow in the the cellar…
    This team can not make the playoffs.
    At this pouint the lower they go; it may be better for them in the draft, although there is no great magic this year coming out of the JR’s.
    I guess we all should join the chorus of Swing Low, Sweet chariot, comin for te carry me home!!!!

I remember the dynasties…

29. MTLCANADIENS says:

In this headline picture it looks like subban doesnt care about what randy is saying. lol “yea yea coach whatever”

30. nellis13 says:

If they’re gonna score a goal a game at least let Emelin play so we have something to watch. These games are pathetic. No offence, no toughness… wtf am i turning on the tv for, another language debate?!?! Maybe I will start watching basketball. Anybody know the rules?

• afik says:

I really don’t believe this will change the situation. I agree with the following statement (by Red Fisher, The Gazette):

The Canadiens have missed the playoffs six times and been eliminated six times in the first round because their general managers haven’t been able to provide the coaches with players capable of going all the way.

Sad story….

31. SeanMalone says:

I want to throw my nomination out for Mr. Larry Robinson to be the Habs permanent Head Coach.

~I never said it. Honest.~

32. RGM says:

Fun topic – which of the current roster players do you see with the team in three years? I can really only envision a small handful: Plekanec, Pacioretty, Leblanc, Subban, Price. The rest of the current squad I do not see being here, either leaving via trade or free agency. Sadly, I do feel that list includes Gorges, the guy that should have been made captain and the guy that should have received the 3-year contract from Gauthier.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

• TomNickle says:

It’s a coin flip right now I’d say. Depends on how the season goes.

If they respect Gill’s opinion as much as they say they do, Gorges will be back. If the team plummets and finishes with a top five pick it will be very interesting to see what happens. The top five will have two NHL ready defensemen and two NHL ready forwards.

If they decide to go with a forward, I can see Plekanec getting moved.

• podbay says:

I agree with you about Josh Gorges – he would’ve made a great captain, which is not to take anything away from Gionta. I believe Gionta is playing his heart out to make things better in Montreal. He and his family embraced the community and he is learning French. He needs better linemates, it’s the ages-old story. But there would’ve been much less pressure on him if Gorges had been made captain.

33. pierre lapuck says:

OK one short little rant then off to work; one the subject of our defense as it now seems popular to point our fingers at P.K. and comment on his lack of growth who exactly is he to learn from? We have no top D pairing with our current guys. Gorges is a 5-6 a 4 at best, Gill the same, Kaberle the same, Campoli and P.K. are maybe 3-4 and Weber/Diaz are trade bait for a bag of pucks (used is ok) and the book is out on Emelin. As for Markov after what 10 games in 3 seasons, if he’s not Jack Shit 10 games in then it is confirmed; the Habs have no top D pairing at all.

34. durocher says:

My lines for tonight (won’t happen):

MaxPower-DD-Cole
    Cammy-Pleks-LL
    Moen-Eller-AK46
    Darche-Nokia-Blunden

Gorges-Emelin
    Gill-Subban
    Kaberle-Campoli

35. Habitall says:

Was listening to the Fan 590 in Toronto last night. All the talk is about the Leafs recalling Nazim Kadri — should he stay, should he go, does he have any future as a Leaf, or even in the NHL?

One caller said, “Trade him to Montreal, they seem to love those soft, smurf type players.”

I immediately wondered if he’s a regular poster on HIO!

Anyway … the host said that if you look at the anatomy of most trades, a lot of them happen when a player wears out his welcome in a city or on a team. We’ve seen that happen in Montreal (Larouche, Chelios, Corson, S. Kostitsyn — and countless others). And lots of times it works (at least for other teams), where a player gains a new lease on life and plays up to potential.

Question: Is there anyone in the NHL who fits the bill of “problem child” who you’d be willing to take a gamble on? And who would you be willing to give up?

• durocher says:

TJ Oshie

Cammy, Diaz, Weber, Darche

• HabsFan1111 says:

How about the ultimate problem child, Alex Semin. He is as talented as anyone on the planet, but tends to show up when he wants. Maybe the electricity of the Bell Centre could light a fire under his lazy Russian ass.

I’d give up just about anyone other than Price, PK, and WJC prospects. Plus, Washington obviously likes signing former Habs.

• G-Man says:

Been there, done that. Name was Kovy. Malakhov, too.
        Enough with the uncaring Russians. Get players that give a rat’s ass and HATE losing.

• HabsFan1111 says:

I could not agree more, but if taking a gamble, why not go all in? Instead we gamble on guys like Kaberle… players that give a rat’s ass and HATE losing are not gambles, they’re sure things and they’re hard to come by. We do not have the assets for sure things.

• Habitall says:

Exactly my thinking. And you don’t have to risk too much. The Leafs did very well with getting Dion Phaneuf for 2nd and 3rd liners.

36. Sakus Evil Twin says:

The one thing that’s become abundantly clear to me this year, and highlighted hugely last night is that this team lacks any kind of creativity in abundance.

How many times have we seen a Habs 2 on 1 be thwarted because the puck carrier would not pull the move and make the shot? How many times have we seen even an attempt at stick handling when the pass option is not available? Even PK’s patented bursts are limited at best.

Watching Hossa, Sharpe , Kane, Toews etc etc etc weave and pass and weave and pass was like watching Barcelona dismantle McLeans pub team from Peel Street.

The Habs are branded as the small team with skill and speed? It’s so damned frustrating to watch the teams so-called skilled players (Pleks, AK, Cole, Subban, Cammelleri etc) in constant chase mode and to create maybe one option out of their forecheck. Chicago always seemed to have two or three as they skated in or set up…

Maybe this is a coaching thing – does the defensive system suck all the fun out of this ?

Now I’m not sayin gthat I want Kovalev back, but I do want these players to be somewhat accountable for the opportunities they have and to sometime, JUST SOMETIMES, sieze the damn moment.

Rant over.

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

• Phillyhabsfan says:

Could not agree more. This team, as constructed, has very little ability to control possession. They are constantly on the defensive against teams that do such as Chicago, flyers boston etc. This season is probaby a lost one, let’s hope they can combine this years draft choice with the past few, which seem promising. And for gods sake, buyout Gomez at the end of the year!! They have more than enough money to do it, and his salary cap hit for nothing is killing this team.

• SmartDog says:

The Habs are afraid of making mistakes and it stifles their creativity.

You can thank JM for that.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• podbay says:

Agreed. This is evident on a PP, when the defenceman at the top of the blue line fakes a shot, passes to Plekanec or Cammelleri, who fake a shot and then pass back to the D-man, and back and forth and back and forth… No one wants to make a decision!

37. TomNickle says:

You know it’s interesting that guys like Gill, Gorges and Subban have talked about the team’s lack of success being a result of teammates wanting to play a different style of game and not being on the same page. Coaches have talked about guys trying to do everything themselves.

Last time this happened it was Gomez who got blamed? Gee I wonder who it could be this time around?

Cry all you want to now. This problem of poor play started in the preseason. We have yet to adjust our game to compete in this league.
    Martin picked his team that would play his stupid style and Gauthier got rid of the players that would not conform to being a team of defense men.
    Now we are stuck with them right up to the axle. This is still a team sport, and it is still Martin’s hand picked team.

Once we have a long term GM in place, and the GM picks his own long term
    coach, and in turn the coach selects his assistant coaches, we are just a fractured group with band aids, not a team at all.

This year we are going to have a first pick over all in the draft, no question about that now.

But now my main concern is what will Gauthier do trying to save his job before the trade deadline. No one on the club is safe. He may bundle two or three of our young talent for a quick fix player.

This whole organization is in deep do do until Geoff Molson figures out in which way he is going to revamp his company from Hamilton to Montreal. I would love to be a fly on the wall in the board meetings over the next few days.

Until Geoff makes his moves, we are left watching our (team) group of players crash into each other trying to find their way.

This will be a very different looking organization from top to bottom by next training camp, you can be sure. I will keep watching and hoping every game, as the boys compete for next year jobs.

• TomNickle says:

He won’t be allowed to do anything Ian. If he were, a full time replacement would have been sought prior to Cunneyworth being named coach.

If he isn’t allowed to hire a new coach, he won’t be allowed to acquire rentals.

• Ian Cobb says:

Tom, sure hope your right. Because we have some great talent on this team already, for the right person to put together with others that can jell into a great young competing team.

• mrhabby says:

why is gomez not in Hamilton..to much pride maybe.

• TomNickle says:

I’m so sick of this Gomez to Hamilton crap. How bout Cammalleri? Why isn’t he there? How about Gionta? Why not him? Why not Price? He’s having a bad year by his standards. Gill? Gorges? Subban? Eller?

At least the guy tries. Jesus this is annoying.

• mrhabby says:

lol…thought you might say that.

• Chris says:

The difference is that those guys have produced at least a little bit in the past 2+ years.

I’m not a big fan of Cammalleri, who I feel is useless other than when he gets points. Fortunately for him, he does have 115 points in 162 regular season games with the Habs, a per-game pace that would rank him above everybody but Tomas Plekanec on the team. And his playoff performance in each of the past two years earns him some rope.

Brian Gionta has led the team in goals the past two seasons and is generally a defensively responsible player.

Carey Price was the team’s MVP last season.

Gomez? Well, he had a good second half in his first season. Then he stunk out the joint in his second season, including in the playoffs where he was supposed to be a clutch player. And this season has been lost due to injury.

If we’re talking effort, I’m afraid Gomez is way down that list in my opinion, although I will freely admit he is ahead of Cammalleri. But Scott Gomez is not asked to try…he is a veteran NHL star player, and as such, the rules are different for Scott Gomez than they are for Lars Eller or P.K. Subban.

I freely admit the piling onto Gomez’s back is frustrating. But so is Scott Gomez. He has done almost nothing to make the Montreal Canadiens a better hockey franchise, and I am willing to bet the farm that he would be the first guy to say that if you talked to him about how things have gone in Montreal.

• TomNickle says:

I don’t disagree Chris. Problem is, Cammalleri is trending the same way that Gomez did at the start of last season, but without any effort whatsoever.

• Habitall says:

The reason is that Gomez’s trade value has plummetted, whereas Cammaleri is still a sharp shooter who, if you put on the wing with a strong, talented, playmaking centre, will rack up goals. Imagine him with an Eric Staal or Bobby Ryan.

Does his attitude suck? Seems like it right now, but he’s a streaky player and all he has to do is turn it on and things happen. In other words, some teams out there will take a serious look at him — bet Burke would trade for him (though please no!). Send him down to Hamilton and you’re reducing his value.

• G-Man says:

Sorry, Ian, but it’s PG’s hand-picked team. And they were competing better while he was coach even though you didn’t like the team’s “style”. Cunneyworth is proving that it’s the players and not the coaching.

A couple changes are needed wih the line-up. Give Pleks Pac and Cole and see what happens with a center that’s as fast as his wingers.

Trade Diaz and Weber- try to get a stay at home hitting Dman (a pipe dream, I know).

• solomio says:

Ian…if I remember correctly you were the…. its only the preseason, its meaningless…” cheerleader at that time.

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

39. RetroMikey says:

We have no winners on our team, period.
    Have to agree with Red Fisher.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

40. Canayens says:

Time for team to go bowling together.

41. durocher says:

Since we need something to smile about — how’s about nicknaming Cunnyworth Colonel Angus?

42. likehoy says:

interesting to note.. gomez has never missed more than 10 games in a season until this year.

- If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

43. kempie says:

This team really needs a top pairing defenseman and some sandpaper for the 4th line. Somebody like Andre Markov and a guy like Ryan White.

44. likehoy says:

on a normal team, when a player slumps, another player comes up and picks up the slack.

on the Montreal Canadiens, when a player slumps, it’s pretty trendy so everyone joins in.

- If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

45. New says:

First off: I admit I am not a Youppi!(TM) fan. (Some of you may even remember I wanted ‘us’ to make a FA offer to Blades the Bear after he slapped the fan for disrespectin the sweater.) I blame Gainey for that. A little honey to sweeten the pot and we wouldn’t have a former Expos (where are they now, eh!!) mascot running amok in the stands.

That PG has allowed Youppi!(TM) to represent for so long when it clearly does nothing to help the team win indicates he is the next to go. This team needs a fierce mascot, something that represents the deep cultural heritage that the team represents. Perhaps a blue-eyed, blond demon mascot, or bon homme except in February during Carnival down river. And the mascot needs to be able to communicate in gestures fully understood by fans and media alike. Meaning it must have a clear middle finger, which lets out Youppi!(TM) and bon homme as well I guess unless he takes off his mitts.

Anyway the mascot should be able to slap players, spray boo-birds, and otherwise represent 50%+ of the indigineous population from Lower Canada who time has passed by in the Land of the Lost(c).

46. francbiss says:

as a Quebecois living in Calgary I’m embarasse. If Quebec’s culture is threaten by a hockey coach not speaking the right language, maybe something is wrong with the culture to begin with. Why is the loud idiotic minority is the only one being heard? I’m tired of all the morons trying to cash in on this.

47. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS:

1. If you had to pick, is it more bad mojo that ails the Habs, or do we just have less talent than other teams? (I mean seriously, are we as good as Boston or Chicago?)
    2. Would we be winning more games with Gionta in the line-up?
    3. If Cole and Patches were put with Plekanec, would all 3 score more?
    4. If we had to sign a contract with PK tomorrow, what’s he worth over the next 3 years?
    5. Will putting Emelin back in help the team? Will he do it for Winnipeg? (And who do you sit?)

SD

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• TomNickle says:

1. These guys are mailing it in. They’ve been given a scapegoat all along. First it was Pearn, then Martin, now Gauthier.

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. $3 million annually

5. Yes, and I sure hope so.

• BJ says:

1) Mediocre to low quality team. Its not put together well despite the few good players we have.
      2) No
      3) no
      4) 2.5 M per year
      5) Yes

• 1- Mojo is def. an issue! We are not as bad as our record but we are not as good as Bos. or Chi.
      2- No, because the coach is black, oops, I mean english.
      3- Certainly but then the DD line wouldn’t score as much so what’s the point?
      4- Is one year an option? Or three years at low salary but with attainable performance bonuses? And if Cunneyworth stays Subby HAS to go! I simply won’t stand for TWO black guys on MY team!!!!
      5- definitely, it gives the team another dimension. Personally I think that Emelin should be the LAST d-man to sit because (on our team) he is unique.

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /wp-content/cache/supercache/www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/a-win-that-slipped-away/index.html on this server.

• SeanMalone says:

yes putting Emelin in on the LS ill help the team…playing him on the rightside not so much … but is it worse than watching Campoli cost a goal in every game since his return??? I know this is still training camp for him, but seriously. With Diaz, Kambs, PK, all similar in size and play a similar non physical game to Camps resulting in a lot of redundancy on the backend …the same effect as if we had 4 Gills on the backend…we need balance

~I never said it. Honest.~

• New says:

1) The team has a good amount of talent. They don’t have a first line center but have handcuffed themselves by using Gomez/paying Gomez as if he was one. That puts them 8 mil in the hole – first line center speaking.
      2) Gionta will go to that place where the puck will go before it crosses the goal line. If someone has the foresight to send the puck there.
      3) Pleks can’t handle a first line center and struggles when placed against a dedicated checker. Good player on the second or third line.
      4) Subban is worth 2.5 to 3 at 18-20 minutes a game. When he gets mentally stronger he could be better. He needs a role model, someone who doesn’t take lip from him and who he respects. Probably Markov.There is a good possibility Subban will not be in the Canadiens organization much longer.
      5) Emelin will only get better. Campoli won’t. Weber maybe in a few years.

• pierre lapuck says:

1. Bad teams create bad mojo. The Boys have both, so the answer is clear.
      2. can’t see why.
      3. I think so.
      4. no idea
      5. I’d sit Diaz/Weber every game until we trade them both. I’d don’t care for their games at all “heady” players can’t afford to make stupid mistakes or they just become bad hockey players just like these two almosts.

• RetroMikey says:

1. We are a pathetic team, overrated by our fans.
      2. Gionta is nothing more than a third liner on any other team.
      3. All 3 are scoring in the bank although Patches makes less but once he signs a big fat contract , his production will tally off like the others like Pleks, Cammy, Gomez to name a few. Show me the money!
      4. He is worth how much any owner is willing to pay these foolish salaries to these players. PK will want more money than to stay in Montreal. Ask Mikey Komo.
      5. Nobody can help our team we have, even if Bobby Orr laced the skates up, our D is so weak. Back to square one and rebuild this team, and tank I say!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• G-Man says:

1. Less abilty for someone to step up and produce when others go down. No scoring depth and no scorers in Hamilton.
      2. Not this season. He and Cammy are snake-bit
      3. Yes.
      4. 2.5 to 3mil. He will get 3.5 to 4 mil per.
      5. The D needs some sort of hitter, even if Gill sits.

48. John Q Public says:

Language is an issue only if you make it one.
    Our country has been sold out (US) and we are supposed to care about language.

So what has Randy brought that Jm didn’t have?
    Lines are the same. Results are the same.
    Same handicapped/injured lineup.
    I am more worried they are all drinking the same crap(Weird liquid in bottles).

Patience is a virtue but this ridiculous.
    PS. When was the last fight by a HAb?

49. francbiss says:

How soon should we get a new GM? I’m thinking before the trade deadline. You do you think would be a good choice. I heard the name of Pierre McGuire being thrown around. Not sure but he knows hockey as his track record prouves it and he would bring a very different approach then Gauthier

50. SeanMalone says:

Just for fun … my lines when Gionta & Gomez return

Camm – DD – Cole
    Gionta – Gomez – MaxPac
    AK46 – Eller – LeBlanc
    Moen – Pleks – Blunden

Gorges – Gill
    Emelin – PK
    Kabs – Diaz

~I never said it. Honest.~

• TomNickle says:

Watching Cammalleri play hockey is not fun.

• likehoy says:

playing hockey? is that what he’s doing out there..

I could have sworn he’s just out there for a free-skate.

- If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• SeanMalone says:

Watching Cammalleri play hockey w/ Pleks isn’t fun ….any chemistry they had last year is gone. The coach needs to find a way to get these guys going.

~I never said it. Honest.~

• TomNickle says:

With Cammalleri it’s strictly effort, and he is so focused on scoring that he’s hurting the team by making terrible decisions that lead to opposing goals. Like two last night.

• SeanMalone says:

I think the habs d being weak in their own end resulted in those goals…they gave the blackhawks free lane to into the zone & behind the net and when they challenge the hawks forwards were stronger and more committed and our D didn’t stand a chance.

~I never said it. Honest.~

• TomNickle says:

Cammalleri strolling to his defenseman and not doing anything to take time and space away allowed him to hold the offensive zone blue line leading to the third goal, he even had the nerve to throw his arm up for a line change, trying to get off of the ice after he’d missed his check and the Blackhawks held the zone with ease.

Cammalleri coming in wide on an odd man rush and missing the net wide by 6-8 feet far side lead to the rush for the Blackhawks that got them their second goal.

If you’re going to blame the defensemen on this team for the goals allowed, you have to look at what put them in bad situations. And on two of the first three goals, it was a stupid and selfish play, followed by a lazy and selfish play.

• likehoy says:

pleks 4th line is a big mistake..
      he was averaging a point per game until he got saddled with cammalleri and then Gionta got hurt.

I’d send down mr. leblanc and play
      Eller – Pleks – Ak and go with the euro-flair

- If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• SeanMalone says:

I don’t mind that line either, but sending leblanc down at this time could spark another riot…haha
        I like what I saw between Cole & Cam on a couple shifts when their lines over lapped the last few games…Cole seems to give Camm some playing room that he is currently not getting w/ pleks…and for whatever reason lately MaxPac seems to be watching Cole do the work on that line.

~I never said it. Honest.~

51. If Randy does learn french all the Franco-Nazis will have to admit that he truly is a Cunning-Linguist.

Forbidden

• TomNickle says:

If he doesn’t win a game soon he could find himself not needing to learn French.

• I have ZERO issue with RC getting flak or even getting fired for losing – don’t let the screen door hit you in the A$$ on the way out!

I do have an issue with him getting flak or getting fired because he’s black, opps, I mean english. Sorry, my bad.

Forbidden

• Marcusman says:

I almost had the 4-1 score right… you have to admit TomNickle you must of been thinking of my prediction in the first period when Budaj was sharp.

Play Emelin already!

52. HabsFan1111 says:

Personally, I found last night a microcosm of the problems this team has.

1) Talent: Chicago has 4 scorers in the top 20. We have no one near as talented as those 4 players. We can only win so many games with hussle and determination, we need raw talent.

2) Dealing with adversity: We got a lead, lost it in 21 seconds, then appeared to give up. It’s moments like these that we need to come out stronger than ever, fight for the momentum to shift back in our favour.

3) Depth: Case and point Victor Stalberg. He plays on the Hawks’ 4th line!!! Need I say more?

I realize none of these are likely to be addressed this season, but I am still hoping we can turn things around, we have always been a streaky team, if we can bang out a few wins in a row (starting tonight), there is hope for playoffs and you never know what miracles can happen in April-May-June.

GHG

53. habs178 says:

I’m a bilingual Habs fan from northern Ontario. My family comes from Quebec, and moved here before I was born. Although I speak and understand French, my first language has now become English. With that being said, I watch every game on RDS, and pay the premium price every month to subscribe to the channel. If by chance I watch a Habs game on CBC or TSN its because my wife is not French, she doesn’t like hockey, so English hockey is a way to make the compromise.

I personally think this BS about the French coach thing is getting waaaaaaaay out of hand. Its ridiculous! I come to this site at least ten times a day to read what’s going on what people have to say (even though its been super negative lately). I was enjoying the “bury Gomez, fire the coach, we suck!” rants a whole lot more than I am enjoying this stupid debate about whether Cunney can speak French or not. As a lot of us say, “WHO CARES!” WIN DAMMIT!

Last night was the first game I’ve been able to watch in a while, and I was so optimistic, even after those two fast goals in 2nd by Chicago. After the 3rd goal, I went to bed, and I was honestly flabergasted that the final score was 5-1. Unreal!

I love Subby as much as the next guy, but as a lot of people are saying, perhaps he does need a rest. Woke him up last year, and perhaps it would do the same again this year.

Cammy is so disappointing too. He was becoming one of my favorite players, and this year its just sad. And I feel for Pleks cuz he has to play on the same line as him. From watching games, you know when a guy is in a slump, it brings the rest of the line down.

I’d really like to see Emlin in tonight. I thought that was something that would be change right away with Cunney. That’s also been a disappointment.

Bah…what hasn’t been a disappointment though right? Just win guys. Find a way to win!

~Jacques Plante

54. likehoy says:

HIRE JM!!!

as we spiral into the oblivion.. we better stock up on some draft picks, namely first rounders.

Say good bye to Michael Cammalleri.

- If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

55. likehoy says:

habs suck.

- If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

The countdown to the apocalypse is on. We’re one year away from Dec. 21, 2012, the date that the ancient Mayan Long Count calendar allegedly marked as the end of an era that would reset the date to zero and signal the end of humanity. It’s also the beginning of the Winter Solstice, which means shorter days of light and sunshine as we prepare to meet Old Man Winter. Not to mention that the Habs have to play back-to-back games as they head into the liveliest arena in the NHL. A rink that some say gives the hometown Jets a half goal advantage even before the game begins. I sure hope I don’t get a set of butcher knives for Christmas.

One of the most overworked expressions in sports is the term “it’s a must game”. The Habs have already had a baker’s dozen of those and we’ve only played 35 games so far. But tonight’s game in Winnipeg, coupled with a few other conference match-ups, could have some dire implications. Let’s play the ‘what if’ game. What if Winnipeg beats Montreal, while Buffalo defeats Toronto and Ottawa downs the Panthers, where would that leave us?

We would be five points behind Winnipeg, New Jersey and Buffalo, four behind Toronto and six back of Ottawa (I add the extra point because of our poor win total as a tie-breaker plus the fact the other teams have games in hand). It would mean that for the first time this month, we have really started to fall back from the pack. The gap would be widening on all fronts. Not to mention that the anticipated honeymoon boost of a new coach would have instead turned into a four game losing streak. A somber thought as the team continues it’s extended road trip on the other side of Christmas.

Let the cliches begin to fly off Mike Boone’s keyboard. “It’s a four pointer, a must win, a last chance to right the ship!” They may be worn-out sarcastic banalities but there’s always an element of truth in all sarcasm.

Darkness lies on the edge of town, to be sure.

• mrhabby says:

hey Steve…it is what it is. i really have no issue with the way things seems to be going. I always thought when Gainey did his rebuild back in 09/10 it seemed flawed particularly when he brought in Martin. If we get a very nice pic after the dust settles and shed some dead wood from now until spring that would be great.
      i hope we don’t hang around 9th or 10th and then PG does some panic move and gives away our prized prospects. Its appearing just not be our year and not to much one can do about it…no point in freakin.

• 24 Cups says:

I hear you, Dave. All I ask right now is that Mr. Gauthier and Geoff Molson don’t hit the panic button and trade away any young assets or our 1st rounder. If the season goes out the window, so be it.

The time to re-evaluate and take action will be in the spring, not now.

I’ll tell you what really breaks me heart, losing out on Claude Giroux. I’ve heard all the cliches about how the draft is a crap shoot, but how the hell do we keep missing out on French-Canadien stars? Bossy, Savard, Bourque and now Giroux.

We have our own backyard where we can have a heads-up on all the other teams in terms of scouting and attracting young Quebec talent. Napier, Wickenheiser, no pick and Fischer. What gives?

We may eventually get a lottery pick this summer and will have to settle for a Russian or a Dman. I could cry.

• mrhabby says:

Yes…not drafting Giroux or other players that are a can’t miss is a thing of beauty. its almost like the organization does not need the hassle of having one of there own on the team or there just to stubborn or stupid….beyond me sometimes.

57. I heard on the radio this morning that a group of racists are trying to organize a mob for the next home game. Apparently the plan is to flood the bell center with Quebec flags and to heckle and boo Cunningworth. Sound like a borderline hate crime kinda thing? I mean, Cunningworth is a human being no? Or is that distinction reserved for french speaking individuals only? I’m all for preserving the Quebec language and culture but tabernack, when is someone going to put a stop to these f@#king pogroms that the Pequistes keep getting away with. F-ing outrageous.

Forbidden

• Kooch7800 says:

If that actually happens I will be embarrassed to be a habs fan and will probably stop cheering for them as I won’t want to support a team that will stand for something like that.

They would be taking things way too far

• 24moreCups says:

It will be very embarrassing, I hate the fact the great Montreal Canadiens are becoming the laughing stock of the league.

• Embarrassing? Yes. Surprising? Not in the least.

I don’t think these “people” have any concept of what “too far” is.

I’m just glad that 99.9% of the francophones that I know do not subscribe to these kinds of mentalities. IMHO it’s just borne out of fear, sweaty palmed, trembly kneed fear. Gutless.

Forbidden

• francbiss says:

• Kooch7800 says:

I 100% agree. The media is eating this up as well. I can understand why the francophones want a french speaking coach but this guy is an interim coach. Give the guy a chance at least.

I also agree that an anglo hockey coach is not a threat to the french culture….if it is there is a much bigger issue

• derfab says:

I have seen them downtown numerous times. They are skinheads who march around trying to provoke McGill kids. Your basic scum.

58. derfab says:

You want a French-English thing? Get Cole off the chou chou rookie centre line and give him a proven nhl pivot instead of one who looks good because he plays with the fastest and strongest players on the team. Let DD and Pacs develope with Kostitsyn or Eller and allow the vets to do what they can (i.e. their job) right now.

59. LafleurFan says:

The draft will often provide a team an exciting player to watch, e.g. Rick Nash, Steven Stamkos, Rick DiPietro, John Tavares, Ilya Kovalchuk, Eric Johnson, just to name some of the past decade’s 1st overalls who are in their prime. It is not a reliable formula for success, which is not to say that any team should ever draft poorly such as the Atlanta Thrashers did one year in drafting a deceased player.

Not to tediously re-hash old viewpoints, but noting how the Red Wings got their hands on Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and now Franzen, how the Bruins got Chara and Thomas, and Flyers with Giroux, demonstrate how skill at other than getting a consensus 1st-overall graduating 18 year old constructs a strong team that can compete year after year. Remember that the Flyers never got close when they had Lindros. Look at the Flyers now despite ditching a couple of their recent 1st-rounders in Richards (part of a weak LA team) and Carter (not fluorishing in OHio).

I vote against blowing up the team, while endorsing some large-scale trade(s).

“May you live in interesting times.”

• TomNickle says:

The Bruins didn’t draft Chara. And the Flyers got to the Stanley Cup Finals with Lindros.

When the Flyers “ditched” Carter and Richards. They also acquired Simmonds, Voracek, Schenn and Couturier.

That’s trading two first round picks for 3.

• HabFanSince72 says:

They did very well in ditching Richards and Carter.

They realized both players had serious issues and dumped them like a used car salesman selling to an unsuspecting rube.

• Habitall says:

Agree with your final point. But two quibbles:
      1) Rick DiPietro has to rank with Alexandre Daigle as the worst ever 1st-overall pick.
      2) You say the Flyers never came close with Lindros. How much closer could they have gotten than making the Stanley Cup finals, where they were favored to beat the Wings? If not for concussions, he’d have led them to a Cup.

60. TomNickle says:

Going forward, hang onto Gill, Gorges, Cole and Gionta. Start to build around Pacioretty, Kostitsyn, Eller, Desharnais, Leblanc, Subban and Emelin.

This is also a scary thought, but watching the lack of accountability and emotion from this team lately, Patrick Roy, for all of his crap, might be worth a look.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I´d like to keep Pleks too but Gill, HAL GILL? Please, he´s soft and so slow, it is painful to watch. Time for him to retire after this season. Not sure about Gionta, agree with the rest.

• TomNickle says:

If you don’t appreciate what Gill brings to this team, or even see that he has been bringing a physical presence this season, you must have something personal against the man.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

No, I like him. He´s a nice guy and he always does his best. Yet, his shot is poor, he´s probably already the slowest player in the league and he´ll be 37 (!) in a couple of months. Physical presence? Let´s say for 6-7 he looks not physical at all.

• Rudy says:

I agree. I said yesterday with Gionta out, Gill and Gorges have a lot of responsibility on them as the A’s through this sh**t storm. I’m glad it’s them, Cole is the only other guy I think who could deal with it and deal with the team. The reason he was kept is being shown over the last week.

• What Skillsy lack in, well, skill he more than makes up for in accountability, leadership and gargantuan reach. When you hear talk about certain players not being on the same page, not giving their all, straying from the system or whatever other cliches I can guaran-god-damn-tee you that it is not Hal Gill they are referring to.

I would keep him as long as his salary isn’t an issue.

Forbidden

• LafleurFan says:

Voracek’s a core player. Simmonds is providing grit and energy. Couturier and Schenn are like Leblanc and Subban at present.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• derfab says:

Gill is an OK 7th D to have around, but he is getting way too much playing time and should be moved soon while still valuable to let Emelin take a spot.

61. Dear Mother Nature, stop melting my ice it’s December in Manitoba for God’s Sake!

Doesn’t really matter

Platinum Blonde 1984

Merry Christmas

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

62. HabFanSince72 says:

I’m trying to make sense of Red Fisher’s statement:

I’ve been around this franchise for more than a half-century – and never heard of or noticed any sign of the French-English “thing.”

63. Bim says:

Only 108 more days till golf season. I figure if we can have a count down to Christmas we can have one to golf season! Then may I dare say it….let the house cleaning begin! Everyone goes except for Carey (why would he want to stay?…what?). A bottom five finish and maybe just maybe a lottery win so we can have a high draft pick. Looking good for the new regime. Its all in your hands now Geoff Molson!

64. adam76 says:

So we are all cool as a fan base blowing this thing up and rebuilding from the draft?

65. jew4jah says:

don’t worry people, everything will be alright once we get a french coach.
    it’s getting hard to be a fan these days. but hey, at least the weather’s nice.

chara = חרה

• Habs rule says:

Really , what was martin? Are you telling me if Mike Babcock was available , you wouldn’t want him. The only criteria we should be concerned with is, can the coach win! Why would you limit the available coaches to only French speaking coaches. I would take a Russian coach if he can win , and Bench PK!

66. Storm Man says:

I very happy that the world Jr’s are here so I can watch some good hockey this year. So who are the top 5 pick’s to look at when we draft this year? This year is a wash

67. slimjim111 says:

I would be very eager to see a few games with Subban scratched. He’s gotten way, way, way too cocky and soft on the ice.

It’s not a question of youth, it’s a question of intelligence on the ice.

Sure, it’s not only his fault we’ve been underachieving but you have to start somewhere and sorry doesn’t cut it. This is not the first time and it certainly feels like it won’t be the last.

• DorvalTony says:

What about Moen? Why isn’t Cammalleri scoring? On and on…not only PK. How do you like DD in the faceoff circle? Plenty of spanking to go around.

——————————–
      “Okay, everybody take a Valium.”

• crazyhabsfan says:

Worked last year…

• slimjim111 says:

Yeah, as I said it’s not only him who is at fault. PK is one of them. Cammalleri is underachieving majorly as well, not to mention others. I’m not sure if it is the fact that he’s got a baby and he’s not getting enough rest. But if that IS the case, then the Habs management should do what they can to make his life easier… nanny etc etc…

68. avatar_58 says:

Lucky for me I don’t have to watch tonight. Not in the mood to watch them lose again

69. HabsFansince49 says:

As I posted a few minutes ago, Mike Boone’s analysis of the Montreal mess is right on the mark. If you haven’t read it, it is in “About Last Night” in previous section.
    Btw – as I tried to point out earlier, media (both French & English) make a bad assumption about the Habs fan base. I believe there are certainly more English-speaking than French-speaking Habs fans in Canada. The adjacent poll confirms it too. The English CBC is a case in point. They schedule only Leafs games assuming all of Canada outside of Quebec are mainly Leafs fans with some other Western teams thrown in as you move west. I also understand that the Canadiens are a cultural institution in Quebec. I lived through the Richard years. But for the rest of us poor hapless Habs supporters, we want a hockey team we can be proud of. This is not so today. The organization began its slow death with Corey’s unacceptable appointment of a beer rep (Houle) as a GM. Gainey and Gauthier pretty well put the last nail in the coffin.

• Garcia129 says:

The only thing the adjacent poll proves is that English speaking Hab fans read an English website.

In Price we Trust

• BINGO!

Forbidden

• crazyhabsfan says:

Well than maybe TSN/RDS should do a poll! I agree with him that there is probably more english speaking fans than french. Almost every game they place in the US is sold out when Mtl is in town… didn’t realize how high the french population was down south?

• HabsFansince49 says:

I can’t argue with your point about English-speaking site. I wonder what the stat is. But I stick with my initial point – there are likely (no empirical evidence) more English speaking Habs fans in Canada (and US). I spend some time in Edmonton in their glory days. When the Habs came to town there were almost as many Habs fans as Oilers. I don’t believe that’s atypical.

• Habs rule says:

Growing up in NB in the early 70′s there was 45% hab fans, 45% leaf fans and 10% Bruin fans. I currently live and work in Leafs Hell southern Ontario, but there a lot of hard core habs fans here!

70. FlyAngler says:

Another great performance by P K. A goal and an assist…. for the opposition. At least last year JM had the guts to sit his sorry ass in the press box after some pitiful performances. I would much rather see Emelin who would be better for us right now than Subban, Diaz or Campoli.

71. mjames says:

I am unable to read the posted columns above as a pop up screen appears requiring me to subscribe to the Gazette. Anyone else have this problem.

mjames

72. durocher says:

Someone = M Boone

73. TommyB says:

Saw that on the ticker during last night’s game. Wondered how it has escaped dissection on this site up to this point.

74. RGM says:

Too much sound and fury over another inept loss.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!

75. HabFanSince72 says:

OK you just have to be Jack Todd.

He is the only person in the world who STILL thinks keeping Price instead of Halak was a mistake.

76. G-Man says:

You almost had me convinced until you mentioned Kovalev as captain. Really? A guy who needed BG to take him for long walks?

Imagine if the Habs had chosen Kopitar instead of Price? He would have been our first #1 center since Damphousse.

77. Keep Halak?
    Kovalev the next Captain?

Thank you for the chuckle, you should do stand up at the Summit next year. :)

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

78. Habsrule1 says:

This whole thing about Halak and the miracle run is really getting old. Cammalleri had one of the best playoffs in recent memory that year and if not for him, we never would have seen how good Halak was in rounds 2 and 3.
    Gainey went and got some UFA’s that were pretty highly regarded, and he tried and was not able to convince a few more. The Gomez thing was a mistake because I can’t believe we needed to include McDonagh in that one, but getting him was a gamble that paid off in some ways (Cammalleri’s playoff run, for example).
    Trading Halak was the right move, but only the future will prove it. Price has been our MVP pretty much since the trade was made. I liked Halak but I doubt he would have done as well with this team. Gainey went with his gut and many years of experience in making that call. If you have a problem with Price, you are one of the very, very few.
    No matter what is done, all that matters is winning, and we have not done enough of that to say Gainey succeeded, but he did improve the team if you look at their points totals the year before he took over and every year after, not to mention the playoff appearances.
    Bottom line is I want someone even better than he was. His biggest mistake (or ownerships) was not seeking out the best replacement for him available.
    I can only hope they don’t make the same mistake twice.

Go Habs Go!!

79. TomNickle says:

I remember being lauged at for suggesting that Halak would be a backup this season.

I’m laughing pretty hard myself right now.

80. Chuck says:

“…almost solely on the phenomenal play of Halak.”

Revisionist history with blinders on. In those playoffs Halak ran cold equally as often as he ran hot. When he was good he was really, REALLY good, but his poor play the final game of the season against Toronto meant that we had to sneak in the back door with a loser point.

And I’m sure that the rest of the team — especially the defense and Cammy — would be slighted by the minimizing of their contributions to that run.

81. Canayens says:

Perhaps his development in MTL won’t allow him to be the player he is now in LA.

82. ludwig44 says:

well said.

83. TomNickle says:

They tried that with Thibault, Garon and Huet. It didn’t work.

I happen to agree that with this organization’s ability to find excellent goalies in late rounds and europe, that they shouldn’t have drafted a goalie so high. Having said that, I’m glad we have Price and don’t want him traded.

84. Chuck says:

That still doesn’t add any truth to your statement.

85. G-Man says:

Halak 2009-10 playoffs NHL GP18 W9 L9 GAA2.55 Save %.923
    Price NHL career playoffs GP26 W8 L15 GAA2.84 Save % .907

Halak won more NHL playoff games in 1 season than Price in his NHL career. This isn’t revisionist history. The “thoroughbred” is an average goalie with gusts to brilliant, but it means nothing. The team in front of him can’t score. His D is as soft as that Snuggles Fabric Softener bear.

86. Chuck says:

You argument is invalid. Having made it past Washington and Pittsburgh, the team obviously thought that it WAS going to contend, so according to your argument Price wasn’t going to be shopped, and eating the Gomez contract wasn’t even a thought when Halak was still here considering their success during that playoff run.

87. Chuck says:

I wasn’t comparing Halak to Price… only stating that Halak was hot and cold during that playoff run, and thus the statement “…almost solely on the phenomenal play of Halak” is a fallacy.

Check out the individual game stats for Halak in that run. Outside of that incredible 3-game run against Washington, he was woefully inconsistent, to say the least.

88. ed lopaz says:

in the 5 elimination games, 3 against washington and 2 against pittsburgh, halak had a save % of.960

in one of the elimination games vs washington, halak made over 50 saves .

during those 5 elimination games, there was not a hotter or better goalie in the world then halak.

but price is the better goalie, better athlete.

89. billylove says:

Calling Halak a “backup” might be a slight overstatement considering that he’s played 17 of 34 games, same as Elliott. Also, Halak’s numbers actually are fairly close to Price.

90. billylove says:

Perhaps we view the term “backup” differently. Regardless of numbers, I consider a backup to be someone who plays infrequently, e.g. to rest a starter.

91. G-Man says:

Sigh. Yup. you are exactly right. I know I am in for the long haul. These last coming up on 19 years have been very tough to be a fan.

92. Hear Hear. Or Here Here. Not sure which is the right spelling. BTW I’m applauding your eggnog, dog and nap observation. Not the other one. :-)

93. TomNickle says:

He’s started four games in December. Elliot has started five. Elliot’s numbers are unquestionably head and shoulders better than Halak’s through the same amount of games.

Backup.

94. Habsrule1 says:

Nothing against Serge Savard, but I’m not sure a 70 year old who has been out of the job for almost 20 years is the answer.
    I agree with the other 2 choices though.

Go Habs Go!!

95. RGM says:

1. I can’t see Dryden being all that interested. He is definitely one of the all-time great Habs players and it would be a fantastic link to the glory days, but I can’t see him wanting to do it.
    2. Serge is getting up there in the years and on top of that has enough money that if he wanted to he could try to convince Molson to sell the team to him.
    3. I am not sure yet on Roy. It would be more interesting than Martin.
    4. You can’t fire the players. Guaranteed contracts are a bugger.
    5. Absolutely no Lecavalier. I realize that he can produce still, but if you think the Gomez contract is bad this one runs for an additional 6 years at the same cap hit.
    6. Shea Weber is yes. I’ve said from day one that he can be a Hab anytime he wants.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!

96. The primary role of the President is sales, marketing and PR. Dryden would not be effective in any of those roles. And Savard has already done his time, find someone younger and more in tune with the direction the NHL is going in, and be ahead of the curve for a change. Patrick Roy is a ticking time bomb and I would cringe every time I saw him there. We’ve had enough negative experiences with rookie coachs. You don’t think Yzerman would jump for joy to shed Lecavalier’s contract. And HE DOESN’T WANT TO PLAY HERE ANYWAY!! And sadly, as much as I love Shea Weber, some team is going to give him Kovalchuk money and I hope it’s not us. Any other suggestions? Maybe based in reality this time?

97. We need fresh thinkers, the game is changing and changing fast and nothing against Savard but it’s just recycling parts we already had and discarded before. What would make anyone think this time would be different?

98. Markov was never offered for Lecavalier, it was P.K. and Price.

99. Sorry, I was thinking of Briere, but that aside, have you looed at TB’s long terms commitment to Lecavalier? It would make Gomez’s contract look tame by comparison. Vinnie is, at best, a second lien player now with little upside, and that’s not taking into account what we’d have to give up for him. I think that trade would be a disaster. And again, sorry to disagree, but I want a heckuva lot more from a coach than someone who could SNAP every once in a while. Let him be an assistant first, maybe coach an AHL team, and then, maybe, I’d believe. There are better solutions out there for this team. The President may or may not have the power you speak of, but I think it’s safe to say that decisions of that magnitude are always approved by the owner before being put into effect.

100. Scotty Bowman won a bunch for us too, maybe we should contact him? I have nothing against Serge Savard, nothing at all. If he’s willing to stand up, face the media on a regular basis and be held accountable for the team and its performance, then I’m in. I don’t know why but when listening to PG it seems everything that’s wrong with the team is somebody else’s fault. Accountability = Leadership, something M. Gauthier lacks on both ends.