No shortage of news from draft

beaulieu

The NHL draft is far from over, with round 2-7 going Saturday. The first round went Friday night, with the Canadiens selecting defenceman Nathan Beaulieu from the QMJHL’s Saint John Sea Dogs.

Here’s a look at some of the new surrounding the draft:

Pat Hickey’s draft report from Minnesota

Daily Hab-it: Was Beaulieu too good to pass up?

Dave Stubbs on Markov’s meeting with the Montreal media

Markov’s signing answers questions about Canadiens defence: Hickey

Draft roundup from Faceoff.com

Muller interests several teams for AHL head-coaching job: La Presse

Why Pierre Gauthier chose another defenceman: Bleacher Report

Trade tracker from NHL draft: ESPN

1. 365fan says:

If Beaulieu is 2011′s Cam Fowler I am ok with that. The rest is a crap shoot for sure.

Looking forward to July 1st. Talbot? Laich? Leino? Those decisions will have a greater impact on cup 25 than what took place after pick 18.

25 is what I want.

2. SeriousFan09 says:

We take 5 Defencemen in 7 picks for a draft when we have 3 forwards amongst 30 in our depth chart who have ever scored 40 goals or more in junior hockey.

I am not impressed. There is plenty of upcoming D talent in the 2012 Entry Draft.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

3. dre1744 says:

So the habs never got rid of Gomez eeh…… what a shame!!!!!

4. SeriousFan09 says:

Off to work now, will write a very sober review of the Habs 2011 draft class when I get home, it’s not going to have a lot of sunshine in it be forewarned, don’t like this compared to their last 2 classes at all.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

5. SeriousFan09 says:

Some stuff on Daniel Pribyl, courtesy of a link from @beakermania on Twitter, a fellow prospect junkie.

“46. Daniel Pribyl, LW/C Sparta Praha Jr. (CZE- Jr.)- Red Line Report gets credit for being on Pribyl’s bandwagon for some time, but Central is onto something with the big and skilled forward. At 6-3, 190 he’s lean and needs to get stronger, but has some interesting potential and upside. The December ’92 birthdate scored 25 goals and 54 points in just 39 games with his junior club and even got some time with his senior team in the Exraliga, so his development is on the right track. He’s a long-strider but isn’t a dynamic skater and could stand to pick up an extra step. However, his creativity is high-end, and he has nice hands to set up plays along with a quick, accurate shot to make him a dual threat as a finisher and set-up man. This is one player who wouldn’t surprise us in the least to see go off the board early as a bit of a surprise pick because of his strong blend of tools and intangibles. He’s a hard worker, and we’d love to see him come over and play in the CHL next season.”

“Then there is the revelation of this season, tall and lanky scoring winger Daniel Pribyl. Has quick and soft hands, beats D regularly 1 on 1 with nifty moves and dekes off the rush and creates separation in tight with strong puck control and finesse stick skills. Smart and quick release of wrist shot. Not developed physically yet and doesn´t use his size enough, okay in puck pursuit and not afraid to play in traffic but rarely finishes checks and doesn´t win many battles for puck. Next, undersized winger Tomas Hyka who is smart, skilled, instinctive but physically very weak, and doesn´t like to take hit/avoids contact at times. Soft touch on his passes, quick soft hands, slick with puck, anticipates very well. Very good wheels, quick burst of speed and first steps, agile. Smooth handling the puck in top speed, has vision finishing touch , makes creative sets-up through traffic.”

“Daniel Pribyl, LW Sparta Prahia (CZE)- Beanpole (6-3, 190) winger is developing into a player worth keeping an eye on. With 25 goals and 54 points in 39 games with Sparta’s top junior team this season, he saw a little bit of time with the Extraliga club. He’s got a long stride even if he lacks explosive speed, has soft hands and the offensive instincts to cash in. He’s got a lot to learn about the game and his defense is suspect at this point, but in time, after he gets stronger on his skates and gains more experience at a high level, Pribyl has some potential to compete for an NHL spot. Red Line Report has been all over Pribyl since December, and if he pans out, it will be another feather in the cap for their Eastern European scout.”

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

6. Talik Sanis says:

Outside of beaulieu, I’m not really sold on our picks this year, especially those in the fourth round. I would have preferred Reid Boucher, among others, as our first pick in the fourth round. He’s small and has skating issues, but is young for this draft year and has high offensive upside.

7. AK_PK_Usay says:

1st round pick looks good, the rest is a gamble, not my cup of tea.

Welcome to montreal to Beaulieu!

PK, Webber, Tinordi, Emelin and now Beaulieu, seriously can’t complain about our future D. :D

8. SeriousFan09 says:

Montreal selects Daniel Pribyl of the Czech Junior League, 6’3″ Centremen, RH shot with their 6th round pick. Feeling better now, but I think is the weakest selections by MTL since they blew it in ’06. (Yes we have Beaulieu but after him, I’m very down on this).

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I don’t know. We have to wait and see obviously. I think Nygren looks like a solid pick. Archambault was picked 1st overall in the Q draft, so there must be some skill there. Pribyl looks like a potential steal in the 6th. It all depends on how these kids develop.

• Jim Edson says:

Hear Hear!

It almost seems in some perverse fashion they went out of their way to NOT draft any skill or size at forward!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Mohamar Ghadaffi or Gary Bettman.