No shortage of former Habs coaches in Cup final

There are a number of former Canadiens coaches taking part in the Stanley Cup final.

Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien coached the Canadiens from 2003-06, posting a 72-62-25 record in 159 regular-season games. One of Julien’s assistant coaches is Doug Jarvis, the former Canadiens player who was also a Habs associate coach for four seasons, starting in 2005.

The Chicago Blackhawks have Hall of Famer Scotty Bowman on their side as a senior advisor, hockey operations. Bowman posted a remarkable 419-110-105 record while coaching the Canadiens from 1971-79, winning five Stanley Cups during that span.

Bowman’s son, Stan, is the Blackhawks’ vice-president/general manager.

There’s another Montreal connection behind the Chicago bench. Blackhawks assistant coach Jamie Kompon is a former captain and coach of the McGill Redmen. Kompon is looking to win the Stanley Cup for the second straight year after working as an assistant coach with the Los Angeles Kings last season.

Below is the column Red Fisher wrote in The Gazette after Julien was fired as Canadiens coach in January 2006.

(Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)

Bruins, Blackhawks working for puck luck, by Bruce Arthur of Postmedia News

Bruins not concerned about triple-OT loss, by Cam Cole of Postmedia News

Blackhawks’ Shaw keeps going, all the time, montrealgazette.com

Bruins look to pick themselves up after loss, montrealgazette.com

Quenneville, Julien share Windsor connection, NHL.com

Gainey couldn’t wait

PUBLISHED IN THE GAZETTE ON JAN. 15, 2006

RED FISHER
THE GAZETTE

Come back with me to an early afternoon news conference on a sun-filled June 2, 2003. Bob Gainey, wearing a dark suit, shirt and snazzy tie, was there. On his left, Canadiens president Pierre Boivin. On his right, GM Andre Savard, the man Gainey was replacing barely three weeks after the end of the Canadiens’ regular season – a dismal, disappointing and, at times, desperate year.

“The great players and the great victories of the Montreal Canadiens of the past make up the rich history that we can all remember and enjoy and share,” Gainey said at the time. “But my presence here is not about the past. It’s about the present and it’s about the future.

“My goals are to bring my knowledge and experience and my determination to win in every area of the hockey department: in recruitment and development and coaching of the players. I have a full commitment to helping this club become a stronger and a better team and to better represent the city of Montreal.”

He was a man of his word in 2003-04 with a 93-point team – a team which upset the 104-point Boston Bruins in the first round of the playoffs before being swept by the Stanley Cup-winning Tampa Bay Lightning.

Now, fast forward to yesterday’s early afternoon press conference on a day when the heavens wept. Gainey was there, again wearing dark suit, shirt and a tie. At his side, Guy Carbonneau, also wearing a dark suit, a bright, white shirt and a tie.

Carbo was there because at 7:15 a.m., Gainey had telephoned coach Claude Julien to tell him that he (Gainey) would take over this slumping, desperate bunch (a laughable seven victories in the last 25 games) until the end of the season, and that Carbonneau would be behind the bench next season.

“When I talked to him, I got disappointment,” Gainey said. “I got regrets. I didn’t get shock.”

Shock, it’s imagined, was what most of you felt when you awoke to the news that Julien and assistant coach Rick Green, decent people whose contracts run through next season, were let go, but why should anybody be surprised? The soaring hope of the first six weeks of the season (12 victories in the first 16 games) had disappeared into the mists of mediocrity. The bleeding had to be stopped, and it was Gainey’s responsibility to do it.

The surprise is that it wasn’t done earlier.

Toe Blake was the best coach I’ve ever seen in any sport, Scott Bowman a close second – mostly because Blake was his mentor. Yes, they won 13 Stanley Cups between them, partly because they were blessed with a flood of the NHL’s most talented players, but the constant among this special pair was that they were able to get the best out of their best players.

Julien wasn’t getting it from his best players during the team’s free-fall since mid-November, and with the Canadiens embarking on a six-game road trip after games with San Jose last night and Dallas tomorrow, he had to go.

“Hockey is a team sport,” Gainey said yesterday. “You bring people from different groups together … you want them to be happy to play together. A number of our players haven’t played up to their potential … important players have underachieved for a long period of time and when that happens, the nerves, the anxiety and the frustration set in. I’m going to address those things to allow the players to be comfortable and relaxed.”

Two of the players Gainey mentioned were Sheldon Souray and Andrei Markov. Another was Jose Theodore for all the right reasons, one being that he wanted his No. 1 goaltender to face the San Jose Sharks last night instead of Cristobal Huet, who on Friday had been penciled in by Julien to make a third consecutive start.

“Call it a coach’s decision,” interim coach Gainey said with a small smile in reply to a question from a member of the media.

When Gainey was named to the GM job, he accepted it with his eyes wide open.

“Montreal provides me with a great challenge and a much different environment than the one I competed in for the last 10 years,” he said at the time. “It’s going to be different. It’s going to be exciting. It’s going to be testy. It’s going to be tough. It’s going to be fun!”

It has been anything but fun this season – some of it self inflicted. Shipping Mathieu Garon to Los Angeles for Radek Bonk and Huet has been a disaster thus far. Hindsight tells us providing Theodore with a three-year deal worth $16.5 million U.S. is another, unless Jose can find his ‘A’ game again. This season, Gainey opted to sign off with several veterans to make room for fresh, young blood from the farm. Not a bad idea, really, but the returns have been meagre thus far.

Gainey has gone behind the bench until the end of the season for another good reason.

“There really was no reason to drop him (Carbonneau) into a pot of boiling water when we can drop him in and warm it up gently,” Gainey said. “Guy will grab on to where we are and where we’re going and what is needed quickly.”

It’s Gainey’s game to win or lose, and the good news is that there’s still one-half of the season left, as he put it, “to push back so that we’re moving up the standings by putting points on the board, rather than the other direction.”

Knowing Gainey as I do, I can promise his players this: it’s going to be different. It’s going to be exciting. It’s going to be testy. It’s going to be tough.

Is it going to be fun? All you have to do is win, chums.

1. boing007 says:

Send Gorges, Kaberle and a couple of others to the Oilers for Yak.
    Yak & Yuk, together again.

Richard R

2. ZepFan2 says:

@DMike

“When I have a headache, it’s a big one. So I take Instantine. Try it”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Nice!
      But one correction:

“When I have a ‘eadache”. Right?

And I think the final tag, him in full uniform on the ice, was: “Instantine works for me. Try it.”

Ring any bells?

Cheers.

3. Habfan17 says:

It was mentioned on the team1200 that Waite, the Chicago goalie coach will be the new Habs Goalie coach.

Habfan17

4. Habfan17 says:

Here is a hypothetical for you, would you trade Gorges, Diaz and Plekanec to Buffalo for Myers and a 3rd round pick if Buffalo would trade him? That would give the Habs that big right defence!

Habfan17

• Fransaskois says:

Big overpayment IMO and I’m not sure Buffalo is interested in moving a young Myers to a divisional rival during their rebuild. He also has a terrible contract.

5. Dunboyne Mike says:

Who here played/plays D?
    Would you agree with this contribution to the Gorges debate? Namely, that although he does not really dish out physically, the game he plays behind the net/in the corners involves ABSORBING a lot of physical play, through which he can control and protect the puck pretty well. I mean, he regularly gets hammered back there, but just plays on. I think he’s tough as hell. Not flashy, but useful (which of course makes him tradeable also, I know).
    But D guys, is that fair comment?

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I think you’re trying to inject common sense and experience into a bandwagon hatefest. I find it rather interesting to see the worm turn with Gorges – he would be run out of town in a heartbeat by many on HIO. It’s as shortsighted as giving up on Desharnais after one bad season or all the calls to trade Pleks.
      If you have played some hockey or have watched hockey for more than a few years, you see what Gorges brings. He’s a decent defenceman who never has been a star, but has been a solid presence on the ice. Yeah, he talks crap in interviews, but even there, he’s blocking shots for team-mates.
      I’d say the forum should find someone else to hate, but why hate anybody on this team?
      I know, cause it’s fun and it’s easy. Danged DDPleksGorgesMarkovPriceDrewiske!

Danged Terry Harper. And Gaston Gingras. And …

• Maritime Ron says:

Simply stated, Gorges is not going anywhere!
        He is a warrior and leader that sets an example on and off the ice and plays hurt because he takes the shots that others shy away from.
        With all due respect to those calling for a trade of Gorges, they know little about NHL hockey and how the game is played and how respect is earned.

• Hobie Hansen says:

With all due respect, someone on HIO telling me I know little about the game, respect and whatever else, doesn’t carry a lot of weight.

There’s always someone bigger, better or younger waiting to take a pro athlete’s place and Gorges is no different.

Gorges isn’t some rare commodity. The Bruins, Hawks, Kings and Blues are filled with warriors.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Terry Harper!
        In that era, I loved Jacques Laperriere. Was never put off by his commercial for… what? Instantine? I can remember the tag-line — anyone else?

I digress. Agree with you and Maritime on Gorges.

• JUST ME says:

I do agree with you and personnaly do not think Gorges is going anywhere but yesterday`s deal with Drewiske puzzles me a bit although i understand the guy is far from being overpaid. The thing is that the Habs do not have many spare contracts being limited to 50 total Habs and Bulldogs so i was surprised that they would re-sign a guy like him.

I do understand that next season is not the one when big deals will be done although…I think the youngsters need one more year to grow and put on a few pounds.

About Gorges i think he is a fair value and he does an honest job and would be interresting for many many teams so nothing is impossible cause you need to give up something to get something.

We also must figure out that the Cube was not hired to play every game so maybe next season he will have more breaks.

If there are any trades they will come after all star break Gio,Markov and who knows ? This season Bergevin will replace the ones that are out of contract like Armstrong,Blunden,Weber and so on but i do not expect anything big although with the buyouts from other teams there might be interesting deals to be made. Not that we will sign those big money players but when others do , they will maybe have to make sacrifices…

So who knows ?

• Habfan17 says:

I agree with you, although I do think he has been rated too high. I think he is really a 5th defenceman, not a top 4. Not on a cup contender anyway.

Habfan17

• Hobie Hansen says:

OK I’m home, the beer is cracked and I’m sitting in some sun now. I was a bit Harsh on Gorges earlier on I suppose. I guess I was blaming him for what turned out to be a pathetic looking group of defencemen by the season’s end and into the playoffs.

Markov looked slow, Diaz could be pushed aside with ease, Emelin was injured, Tinordi was learning on the fly, Bouillon gives it his all but the reach and size isn’t there, Drewiske is a spare part and Gorges was scrambling around and fighting for his life.

Notice I didn’t mention Subban :-).

I think Gorges could be fine back there if there were some big changes around him. There’s no doubt he gives it his all and loves Montreal.

He did have an off year and looked bad in the playoffs but the defence as a whole needs a big boost. They are simply too small back there when Gorges, Bouillon, Diaz and Markov are dressed at the same time!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I’m liking this post-beer assessment!
        But Hobie, please explain your recent change of avatar. I’ve been waiting for a penny to drop, but it’s not happening for me!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Josh Gorges is a steady, dependable, valuable Canadien. He just reaped a windfall two seasons ago when he was being played as a #2, and got paid almost as such, for a really long time, as a result. Let’s call that Maple Leaf disease.

Anyway, I’m not too worried about him, he’ll still give us valuable minutes for a couple of seasons, but the term…

6. GrosBill says:

Maclean wins the Jack Adams
    Toews won Selke
    Shero for GM
    St-Louis won the Lady Bing

– RDS

• HabFanSince72 says:

Shero for GM is ironic given that all his rentals were flops.

Maclean managed to ride his hot goalies to 7th place. This is mediocre by any measure.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

The GM award was announced today, but is it possible that it was voted on before that mass rental floppation?

The Maclean call was for one reason only: to prevent him from carrying out his threat to return to the Peoria Rivermen in the aftermath of the infamous Prust remark.

7. Dunboyne Mike says:

Evening all. Was out for a few hours.
    Quiet here this evening. Is everyone here? Or nearly everyone?
    My apologies to all I dissed earlier. End justifying means and all that.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I started with the previous thread this morning, …You and the Boys were hilarious :)

• Bripro says:

I didn’t feel dissed at all.
      As a matter of fact, you were quite supportive.
      And I was mostly impressed with your handling of the hearing / reading rebuttal from wjc! (acronym for: whatever-junior/comic/con/crap/clueless/callus/confused… or otherwise).

• wjc says:

Thats the problem on here, you people are bullies and you people are way to impressed with yourselves.

Then you resort to name calling. Well I never go to that level.

There are other people who might understand what I say and maybe look at things from a different perspective. If you don’t get it….tough.

wjc

• Un Canadien errant says:

I get what happened there, but that’s what that guy gets his jollies from, nattering on ceaselessly, being rude, bringing dialogue to a screeching halt, and then drawing you in to his muck so he can wrestle with you in his element. As imbecilic as he is, you can’t rise to his bait, even when he pretends to play nice for an hour or two and posts semi-reasonably. You won’t be able to set him straight, he’s impervious to logic. Save your HIO time for more productive exchanges.

He’ll be the first target of the “Ignore” button commandant has been clamouring for.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Grudgingly accept all your points. However, can’t guarantee I wouldn’t do it again because I enjoyed it (although guiltily, like throwing stones at the village idiot).

Stepping way back for a view of a bigger picture, here’s something that really surprised me, in the context of this relatively new medium, the online blog. That guy dissed me pointedly several times in a row either yesterday or the day before, and I just felt nothing, couldn’t care less (I was a little surprised that I had attracted it). What set me off on the warpath today was him dissing some of the regulars here — all people I’ve never met and don’t actually know, only virtually, and yet somehow like, if that’s actually possible. Sorry for just thinking out loud.

• wjc says:

Why would you enjoy throwing stones at ‘a village idiot.

Nice of you to ‘grudgingly’ except all his points. Must have said something that you agreed with.

A different point of view is dissing, I get it.

wjc

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Reap what you sow.
            Any consolation, I thought your much earlier post on owners, players and fans (“2 out of 3″) was really incisive, also valuable coming from someone who remembers the era, and I would have engaged with it except for my objection to your unwarranted condescension towards your fellow posters and mine. It is the difference between dissing and disagreeing: they are not, as you believe, the same thing.
            It’s late here, after 1am, so I’m tired and remorseful, and I apologise for giving you a hard time, and would prefer to agree or disagree with you — or read you agreeing or disagreeing with others — without seeing that unnecessary edge of condescension. Prove UCE wrong. You don’t need to hear this from me — who am I? But there you go.

• wjc says:

I get it: I nater on ceaselessly

I am rude.

I am an embecil

When I agree with you I am being nice.

I can not be set straight, I am impervious to logic.

You say posters should save HIO time with people who agree with you.

You are the logic police.

Not once did you bring something forward as proof of where I am wrong. Absolutely no rebutal, just name calling.

When I write something it is just bait.

I bring dialogue to a screeching halt, because you are not used to anyone questioning your great wisdom. Ignore buttons would be good, would save people from actually looking at things from a different point of view.

Commandant is selling his blog as are others. Who cares about his scouting report, he doesn’t bird dog the draft choices, he takes information that is provided and repeats it. NHL has central scouting that is good enough.

wjc

8. Habitant in Surrey says:

…should be interesting what they can collect, or not collect

…headline here, ‘ICBC Sues Stanley Cup Rioters’

…ICBC in British Columbia is where most insure their vehicles

9. Habitant in Surrey says:

@Un Canadien errant

…Normand, You completely misread My post below

…I didn’t say Josh would benefit from ‘beefing’ Himself up …I said Josh would benefit from Our Team ‘beefing up’

…what Josh brings to the table are the intangibles, as well He is a very effective D-man when others are looking after the rough stuff

• Timo says:

It is so intangible that one has too work really really hard to figure out what it is. His interview skills perhaps? He is so good in front of a mic.

• deggy24 says:

Josh is an excellent 6th man, shot blocker. Might be more durable if he played with a bigger, much better player … And for those who are counting on Eller and Emelin coming out of the gate next year, not going to happen. We need to get a centre and one big impact d-men to start the year …

Habs Win!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…let’s put in this way Tim

…You sit on Your couch in some room back-biting everything under the sun about Our Team, and Gorges makes $ 4 mil by being an effective character defenceman who puts His heart in every game

…I would not pay You 4 cents for what You do …maybe $ 4 mil is a bit much for Josh, BUT I would pay Him His $ 4 mil much more readily than I would pay You 4 cents

…if Ya git My drift :)

• Un Canadien errant says:

All right Chris, I’ll take the hit, I’m mostly guilty, I’ll agree, but you have to meet me a quarter of the way and accept that my reading comprehension was impeded by your vexing and perplexing use of the dot dot dots, among other grammatical quirks. I thought I had your style dialed by now, from our late-night convos, but I missed what you were trying to say.

Original post:…Gorges is one of those players that would benefit from bulking up Our Team …Gorges is one of those guys with those intangibles any winning team must have, character, leadership and courage

I read as: Gorges is one of those players that would benefit from bulking up. Our Team …Gorges is one of those guys with those intangibles any winning team must have, character, leadership and courage.

What was meant: Gorges is one of those players that would benefit from bulking up our team. Gorges is one of those guys with those intangibles any winning team must have: character, leadership and courage.

10. Mattyleg says:

In ‘You Might Also Like,’

Is Donald Sutherland holding a piece of cheddar on his chest?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Un Canadien errant says:

Du P’tit Québec, peut-être?

That would be surprisingly Canadian. \

• Bripro says:

I’m not giving you a hard time Matty, since you’re one of the more articulate writers on here, but who is “In”?
      I don’t understand your first sentence? Is it just me?
      And the Guinness is still in the fridge. ;)

11. Habitant in Surrey says:

…ok, since Bowman is the topic …and Hector ‘Toe’ Blake hereto is prominently credited as being His mentor to You Young Punks among Our Fans :) …I will, again, appeal to Your Habs Passion to write Messrs. Molson & Gilmore to request placing a banner in the rafters to honor the great legacy Toe Blake bequeathed the Montreal Canadiens

…You may throw in ‘a plug’ for Scotty Bowman while You are it too :)

…the following is almost verbatim what I posted quite a few times previously,and I hope Y’all can take a few moments of Your valuable time to send a letter to Mr. Molson and Gilmore encouraging them that a banner in the rafters should be added for the great Toe Blake.

____________________________________________________

“I am ‘crusading’ for Our Habs to retire Toe Blake’s number 6 …and add His banner in the rafters next to Our other former Great Montreal Canadiens.

Some of You may believe Toe was only a Great Coach, and as a Player, did not quite rate such an honor, and/or do not want yet another low-number unavailable to contemporary Players, maybe forgetting Toe Blake won an NHL scoring championship, the Hart Trophy and a Lady Byng, and led Our Habs in scoring in 6 seasons of His Hall Of Fame playing career.

He as well was an essential component with The Rocket and Elmer Lach as a member of ‘The Punch Line’ which was the most feared scoring line of it’s day.

Most Montreal Canadiens Fans only remember Toe Blake as the genius Coach of the Montreal Canadiens at the cusp of Our Golden Era, the ‘Golden Era’ that most of Us have been inspired by to follow Our Habs as if it was ‘a religion’ unto It’s own.

Toe Blake’s name is on 11 rings of the Stanley Cup, 8 as Our Coach, 2 as a Player for the Montreal Canadiens and one as a Montreal Maroon.

Toe Blake was the ‘heart and soul’ motivator whom inspired and ‘showed the way’ to Our great Players of the time, both as a Player and as Our Coach.

His Legacy is greatly taken for granted, I strongly believe, by the fact Toe Blake’s number 6 is not represented yet in the rafters of the Bell Centre.

The totality of Toe Blake’s legacy, as a Player and Our Coach, to the History and exceptional success of the Montreal Canadiens as the most famous brand in the hockey world is way past it’s overdue stage.

I request all Montreal Canadiens Fans to join with Ian Cobb and I to right a wrong.

I suggested to Ian to theme this year’s Summit on Toe Blake, to incorporate some homage to Toe. Maybe even make a request to Hurley’s Tavern or other purveyor of fine suds to try to replicate the ambiance of the famed former Toe Blake’s Tavern.

I will leave that to Ian, of what is doable in that regard. Knowing Ian, He is more than capable.

Meanwhile, though this is only a concept for now, We would appreciate some clear input and enthusiasm be supportively shown by Our fellow Habs Fans whom agree with the objective.

To those that feel this an interesting objective, please let Your feelings and opinions be known to Geoff Molson and Montreal Canadiens Management.

The following are the most relevant executives of the MontrealCanadiens to send your testimonial to Retire Number 6:

Mr. Geoff Molson: President and Owner

Mr. Kevin Gilmore: VP Operations

Address:

[Name of person]
    c/o The Montreal Canadiens
    1909, avenue des Canadiens-de-Montréal
    Montreal, QC, CANADA
    H3C 5L2″

…thank You :)

12. Thurston says:

Anyone on the Bickell UFA bandwagon, be advised the Red Wings are also interested (at least according to the Detroit Free Press). Here’s an article I found from a couple of days ago:

13. Mattyleg says:

I’d be very surprised if they trade Gorges.
    I’m not saying it won’t happen, just that I’d be very surprised.

He is consistent and a hard worker, and he brings continuity and a veteran presence to a team that’s been through quite a few changes.
    There’s something to be said about that, and I know that a lot of you SuperTraders don’t like to think about it, but there’s the human aspect to the situation as well that rewards loyalty and consistency.

Before you jump down my throat screaming “it’s a business! It’s all about the bottom-line and the shareholders!!” I have news for you; there are other ways of doing business that can be successful and that people can admire.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HabFab says:

“you SuperTraders” LOVE IT :D

“Superstars”

• Hobie Hansen says:

Sometimes I think people, fans, reporters get a good interviewee mixed up with a good leader.

Like that whole Hal Gill mentor thing with PK Subban that kept getting mentioned…I’m sure Subban wanted to puke every time he heard that.

A couple months into that nonsense I remember Subban rolling his eyes and just giving the generic answer of how great a leader and mentor Hal Gill was.

When really in his head Subban was thinking Gill was slow as molasses and a pain in the arse.

• Mattyleg says:

Thanks Hobie!

For a while there, I thought that NOBODY was going to be able to tell me what was going through PK’s mind!
        But then you swoop in with your crazy ol’ telekenesis, and Hey Presto! we have an insight into the deepest thoughts of everyone’s favourite lightning rod!

Cheers, pal.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Hobie Hansen says:

Lol.

I should have said IMO. That’s honestly the feeling I got after a while. I could obviously be wrong. :-).

Have a great weekend BTW Matty!

6 minutes and counting….

• Ozmodiar says:

I’d also be surprised if they traded Gorges, TBH.

So, you had me up until you mentioned this ‘human aspect’, then it was all “blah, blah, blah”.

• Garbo says:

But what about their feelings?

We can’t hurt those, that would just be terrible. What kind of an organization would hurt a players feelings!? Don’t the organizations know you have to consider how its actions can emotionally effect the players.

• Maritime Ron says:

Gorges isn’t going anywhere!
      Book that!

14. habs001 says:

Getting Galchenyuk was huge last year…While the Habs have a lot of prospects and will have a few picks in the draft they will still have to make smart trades and smart ufa signings in the next couple of years…unless you are very lucky to get a player like Galchenyuk you have to draft high…While the Habs have prospects and will get new ones in a few weeks the reality is most teams have the same number and type of prospects as the Habs have…and some teams will add even better ones this year as they are drafting higher…

15. Ozmodiar says:

Just a quick look at the conundrum the Habs face in shoring up the D corps.

Let’s say, with a healthy top 6, the D will look something like this (I’ve gone with JT over Bouillon):

Gorges/Subban
    Markov/Emelin
    Tinner/Diaz

With this line up, they’re still lacking a tough, crease clearing, shut-down guy. So the question is: if they can land such a player, then who goes?

Markov – will eventually be replaced by Beaulieu
    Subban/Emelin – their value to the team was underscored this past season
    Tinordi – he stays, obviously

….that leaves Gorges and Diaz.

I think most would say that Diaz should go, but here’s a few things to consider.

– there’s a chance the replacement shut-down player might not be able to play on the PP. Without Diaz, that would leave only Subban and Markov as the top PP pairing, with Emelin being the #3 guy. Not ideal.
    – with Diaz gone, they’d have one less right-handed d-man, so Emelin would have to keep playing on his wrong side.
    – Diaz is cheaper, and less of a cap hit.
    – Gorges would likely net a better return in a trade.

16. Hobie Hansen says:

I’m really not gloating here, OK maybe a little. But in regards to Kaberle. There were many regulars on this site swearing up and down that there would be interest in Kaberle and he would be traded at the deadline. I said no way in hell.

I had some sort of bet with Tom Nickle or as we know him now, Loonie, that Kaberle would never get traded. I can’t remember what the bet was for though?

Anyways, with Gorges and his 5 years remaining at $4 million or $3.9, it isn’t much less than what Kaberle makes. I hope he kicks it up a notch this season but just like Kaberle, there isn’t going to be much, if any interest, with that contract if he continues to play the way he does.

I would be looking to trade him immediately while he still has a bit of that false reputation of being a good defenceman hanging around.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

• Un Canadien errant says:

Josh can’t add any more weight on, he’s physically mature. He’s not lazy, he works out really hard in the summers in Kelowna with his Rocket buddies, he has this frame, that’s who he is.

Hobie, couldn’t disagree more about buying out Josh rather than Tomas Kaberle. I agree that the contract is less than inspired, I winced when it was announced, but he gives some value in return, he’s a reliable defenceman who’s useful. Tomas Kaberle is entirely useless. He’s the one that needs a ticket out of town.

At some point, if we want, we can find a way to trade Josh, some other team will see him as a solution. It only takes one. \

17. Habitant in Surrey says:

…can’t speak on behalf of You fellow older Habs Fans, but watching the first Blackhawk-Beans game, I felt very wistful seeing Scotty sitting like an emperor in a seat more reminiscent of a throne below His Boy Stanley in the GMs’ loge above

…wouldacouldashoulda :(

18. kazmojo says:

Dunno if this has already been posted, but it’s a great read: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/31/why-cant-canada-win-the-stanley-cup/

This part stood out: “These struggling United States teams hurt the Canadian teams both directly by diluting the share of Canadian teams in the league, and indirectly by compelling a salary cap structure that is meant to protect the struggling American teams (but which has yet to make most of them profitable).”

• wjc says:

3.3 billion dollars and rising….Bettman is smiling….32 Canadian players in the finals. Sorry Saskatoon, Halifax, Victoria or St Catherines can not make the cut.

United States markets are huge, pay per view etc. Merchandising huge, get caps, sweaters and flags etc. from third world sweat shops for nickels and dimes and sell for huge mark ups.

Television rights, advertising, licencing, branding, games for computers…..U.S. is where the action is and profits. Heading to 4 billion dollars and more. Once teams are in they are part of a brotherhood of owners which is exclusive and protected.

wjc

19. HabFab says:

Habs Rookie Camp is scheduled for July 5th.

20. jols101 says:

Tiger looked like he was going to get it going there for a few holes but now it looks like he is struggling again. Something is wrong with his elbow.

• savethepuck says:

He’s even for the day and only 3 guys that played round 2 are under par. Only 2 players under par for the tourney, and they haven’t teed off yet today. Course is playing really tough.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• krob1000 says:

I’m at work so only following online…is he done 18? did he finish at even for the day?

21. savethepuck says:

Looking at Bowman’s record as a Habs coach between 71 and 79 is unbelievable. Don’t think anyone will ever match that in the new NHL. I was 6 when he came to the Habs and 14 when he left, what a way to grow up a Habs fan.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

22. commandant says:

Russ’s article about his late father, and the bond they shared over hockey.

I know I post most of our hockey articles here, but really if there is one article you should read at the site, this one is it. Russ did a fantastic job, and I think a lot of people can relate to it in some way.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• savethepuck says:

Ben, I use a BB Playbook, and whenever I click on one of your links to an article on your Site, I find the print too small for my old eyes. Your Site does not allow me to zoom in or out to make the article only fit my screen. I assume that is because it keeps the ads visible on the right of the pages.
      Any suggestions?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

23. Habitant in Surrey says:

…since the end of the lock-out, what I sense is that the NHL’s revenues have and are going Blue Blazes through the roof …TV revenues alone must be rolling new dollars into the coffers hand over fist

…I know a lot was lost in that it was a short schedule …but the business projection, Myself talking without the revenue numbers in front of Me, looks like it should be able to support a much higher maximum cap than $ 64 million

…what are the odds the NHL may revise the maximum to the 2013-2014 season ?

…is it set in stone ?

• savethepuck says:

I am sure it is set in stone but I am also sure the 2014-15 CAP will probably be close to where it was supposed to be this season, if not for the lockout. It will continue to rise drastically after that, just like it did after the last lockout. I don’t have the worries some others do of how some of our present contracts are going to affect us in 2 or 3 years.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• commandant says:

The 2013-14 cap is pretty much set in stone because on 58% of the schedule they are likely doing something in 70-75% range of 2011-12 dollars.

they would need to surpass 100% (and by quite a bit since the cap went from 57% to 50%) in order to raise the 2013-14 cap.

2014-15 though, looks like a riser, at least for now.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

24. jols101 says:

Re: Cap Space –
    We have 4.77 million available with 21 players signed.
    Buyout Kaberle’s 4.25 million.
    We have 9 million in Cap Space with 20 players signed.
    We need to sign 3 players. 2 of those are 4th liners. White and Armstrong or a replacement for Armstrong. So maximum that is a million each.
    We still have 7 million to replace Ryder’s offence.
    Cap Space isn’t that big of an issue for us.

25. Hobie Hansen says:

Looking at the Canadiens Payroll, I’d buyout Gorges instead of Kaberle. Gorges only makes $350,000 less than Kaberle and were stuck with him for FIVE more years!

Buyout Gorges, let Kaberle sit or maybe play a few games. That way they’re both gone by the start of the 2014/15. Markov and Gionta are gone at that point too.

This coming season is another season where I’m not expecting the world and will just sit back and see what happens.

The 2014/15 season is when the new era officially begins. Can’t wait!

• Ozmodiar says:

They can trade Gorges if they want to.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I was going to mention that as an option. I think maybe Philadlephia?

But they better trade him this summer while they can because if he plays like he did last year nobody is going to want to pay him $4 million bucks a year for four or five more years.

• deuce6 says:

Gorges has one bad year and now we want to bail on him..I wouldn’t..He is one of the guys that lays it all out on the ice for his teammates..

Albeit, he may not be worth the contract he signed, but he provides great leadership and when paired with a bigger guy, he is a superb top 6..

Kaberle is the guy that HAS to go..

——————
        Brandon Prust doesn’t have hair on his testicles, because hair does not grow on steel….

• Fransaskois says:

I think it makes zero sense to buy out a player we can move for assets. I’d say Tampa Bay might be an option if we’re moving him.

• Hobie Hansen says:

People were saying we could trade kaberle as well. Gorges is “slightly” better but like I said, the way he played last year, I seriously doubt teams would be lining up to pay him $4 million bucks a year for FIVE more years.

And Gorges has also been way over hyped in Montreal to begin with. People somehow anointed him this awesome defenceman after he was a throw in to the Craig Rivet trade with the 1st rounder we got.

He’s a 5th, 6th or 7th guy who brings no size, toughness or especially offense. He blocks shots and that’s it.

• krob1000 says:

Not about the “bad year” about his role as a 4 million dollar player 2 years from now when he could very well be the teams 6th or 7th dman.
          Subban, Diaz, Tinordi, Beaulieu,Bouillon, Gorges is the tentative lineup for 2014-15….Boul;ion is far less, Drewiskie is signed as a depth guy, they have Nygren in Sweden,etc. Markov may or may not be around. The need is for that role that Gorges/Bouillon and Drewiskie all play is the exact role that needs to be filled by a tough guy who can do more of the dirty stuff. Gorges is not a bad NHl dman…in fact he is about average IMO but looking long tterm which it appears MB is doing…Gorges has to go. There are others long term like Deitz, Thrower, BEnnet,etc who also have shots at legit NHl careers …the Habs are deep in offensive dmen, they are deep in undersized shutdown men…which is not an area you really want to be deep in.

Really?