No progress made in NHL talks Wednesday

podiumweb

Talks between the NHL and the players’ association resumed Wednesday for the first time in nearly a week in Woodbridge, N.J., with U.S. federal mediators rejoining negotiations. But the two sides don’t seem any closer to reaching a deal to end the lockout.

The Associated Press reported that the two sides met with federal mediators, not with each other, on Wednesday. AP also reported that commissioner Gary Bettman informed mediators that the offer the league pulled from the table after last week’s talks fell apart is now back in play, but carries a take-it-or-leave-it ultimatum.

“We met for about 6 1/2 hours today with the assistance of federal mediator Scot Beckenbaugh,” Daly said in a statement on the NHL website. “The parties were never actually in the same room together. We did several different caucus meeting rooms. There is nothing new to report.”

The Associated Press reported that no owners joined Bettman and Daly at the talks, while the NHLPA released the names of the players taking part, including Craig Adams, Adrian Aucoin, Brad Boyes, Chris Campoli, Mathieu Darche, Shane Doan, Ron Hainsey, Jamal Mayers Andy McDonald, Steve Montador, Brendan Morrison, Douglas Murray and Daniel Winnik.

Read more by clicking here.

Jeff Z. Klein wrote an interesting article in the New York Times about how a “dysfunctional” business model puts the NHL in peril, according to experts. You can read that column by clicking here.

Chris Johnston of The Canadian Press reports that amnesty buyouts have emerged as an important issue in the stalemate. Read more by clicking here.

Cam Cole of Postmedia News writes about how fear and envy are haunting a proposed new arena for Edmonton. Read his column by clicking here.

In other sports/business news, Patrick Hruby of sportsonearth.com wrote an article under the headline: “Let’s eliminate sports welfare” as America is barreling toward a self-induced “fiscal cliff.” You can read that article by clicking here.

And if you’re in need of a little humour as this lockout drags on, how about this line from Fark.com: “Unseen stories of hardship during the NHL lockout: Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a new Zamboni-driver job in Nashville?”

(Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

1. Rossy says:

Elliott Friedman over at CBC said everything that needs to be said:
    “This is the most self-destructive behaviour ever, and I grew up with four teenage sisters.”

2. Phil C says:

What a bunch of jackasses. The really stupid thing is that what they are fighting over may not even be in each party’s best interest. The owners might be better off having the option of 8 year terms to sign their stars. And the players would definitely be better off with a 10 year CBA term. The transition rules can be left to the bean-counters. Jackasses.

3. Haborama says:

and Im wanted, DEAAAD OR ALLLIIIVE!!

4. Boomer says:

Beauvillier cut as well

5. Boomer says:

i wonder if it would be a first… an 18 year old 5th rounder making team canada?

6. Boomer says:

Pelech, Graovac, Pouliot, sean monahan cut from team canada

7. commandant says:

I figured it would at least take 2 days before this happened.

Now they aren’t even bothered to get us all excited first.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

8. Bripro says:

Bill Daly just told Renaud Lavoie that last week’s proposal was not re-tabled.

• HabFab says:

Nobody is reporting that the NHL will wait at their NYC offices and await the NHLPA to arrive and negotiate their unconditional surrender.

• Bripro says:

Unless they bring their interpreters.
        Bettman:
        Bill, tell yahoo over there to kiss my posterior.
        Daly:
        Donald, Gary sees your counter-proposal as non-partisan, and given that it’s a sport, you should participate!
        D. Fehr: Steve, tell these two (insert seven expletives) to kiss my a**!
        S. Fehr: Bill, you and I should go and have cake!

• ABHabsfan says:

That was funny sh*t, thanks.
          S. Fehr and Daly going for cake is likely the only way this gets done!
          The head honchos can have their staring contest while the grown-ups do the business

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
          Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

9. frontenac1 says:

Good articles by Klein and Hruby

10. Bripro says:

I guess I have to say that I’m jealous for not living in Toronto.
    For this one occasion only….let’s make that clear!
    It should be a great game.

11. Mondou6 says:

Does anyone really want a 48 game season?

Once games are canceled, I consider the season to be tainted, and I’d prefer they just cancel the whole thing, and let both sides suffer.

A shortened season seems like the ultimate “eff you” to the fans. It’s like they are saying, “We could have decided this earlier, but we didn’t care enough. So we decided to ruin the regular season, but we still want your money for the playoffs.”

12. Bripro says:

OK I’m back! Lousy day!
    PLEASE, someone tell me there’s some type of agreement in the works. Lie to me!
    My wife’s grumpy, my son’s grumpy, my grandson is grumpy.
    So guess what they’re doing to me?

13. Mr. Biter says:

World Jr.’s gonna have huge ratings this year.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

14. Habilis says:

“Renaud Lavoie‏@RenLavoieRDS
    So last week NHL offer still on the table. Its up to the players to decide. ”

I said last week and again this morning that this deal was the best the players could possibly hope for. Let’s hope that they come to their senses.

• Mr. Biter says:

Fehr rules that out as he won’t let the players decide by secret ballot.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• Mondou6 says:

Owners can’t run a legal monopoly and dictate all their own terms. The players and Goodenow got rolled last time, and now Bettman wants to repeat this process for every CBA. Apparently, the players are sick of it.

If the owners refuse to negotiate, the union still has the decertification card up their sleeve. What will happen with that? Who knows. But to say that the players’ only option is to forever be grateful for whatever Bettman deigns to give them, less and less each CBA, isn’t the whole story.

I also don’t understand the sentiment that Fehr is deluding the poor dumb players. The players are in on all the negotiations, and seem smarter and more informed than the owners do.

As a fan, I understand being frustrated at no hockey, but (1) it’s a lockout, not a strike, and (2) the players’ livelihoods are on the line here, not ours. To paint them as stupid or greedy flies in the face of the facts. This stoppage is all the owners doing.

• Bill J says:

+1, I’m quite stunned how many assume this is all on Fehr.

He’s doing his job, and the players knew exactly what they were doing when they sought him out for the position.

To say he’s pulling wool over the players eyes is laughable.

• HabFab says:

Exactly so you agree that it’s the players fault… :)

Hate this damn lock out!

• Bill J says:

Yup the players locked themselves out, all on the players.

I hate it too, but the fact remains the “Lock Out” is an owner thing, not a player thing. Players “strike” something NHL players have not done in a long time, compared to 3 owner lockouts in the last 20 years.

• Habilis says:

“The players and Goodenow got rolled last time, and now Bettman wants to repeat this process for every CBA. Apparently, the players are sick of it.”

Yeah that’s what everyone said at the time. Then the average salary increased by a million dollars in the next 7 years, did that make them sick?

It turns out that the owners were actually making a pretty fair deal, not “rolling” anyone. Why is it that the players don’t take the end result into account when talking about 04/05? They were the ones who wanted to continue playing under that same cba only months ago! How they could come out and ask to keep going under the old cba and yet still claim to have been steamrolled is truly baffling.

Plus the players will have 30 GMs and their staffs along with countless agents working to find ways to pay them even more money before the ink is even dry on a new deal. This is the reason that every single cba to date has ended in favor of the players. But maybe they’re sick of that too.

I’m sick of the players taking a ridiculous position just because they’re too proud to “give in”. The last deal the owners put up is fair for both sides and just needs to be signed. The sooner they realize that, the richer they will all be.

• wjc says:

Mondou6, players got rolled last time you say. They ended up better off, financial by a lot.

If there had been no lockout, you would be looking at a strike. Players wanted to play under old CBA. Why? Why? Why? If it was so terrible and such a bad deal….Why? Nobody ever answers that.

If players were to decertify it could be a disaster, tied up in court, maybe no more NHL. Players would be nuts to try it, they do not know where it would lead.

The players should be forever grateful, kissing the ground grateful. I am sure most are they have won the lottery being NHL players.

The lockout can be ended by either party. The impasse can be ended by either side, just let the league be financially viable. A strong league is good for the players…..good for the players, not bad. Let the owners be owners and run the league. The players make tremendous money and all they have to do is play.

They are not stupid the players are quite smart. Fehr is there spokesman and adviser, but, they should stop trying to beat the owners….they are doing great and really have no room to complain.
        A strong league is good for the fans as well, as future players. If the players were making $80,000.00 a year, I would say that is not fair, but they are making over $750,000.00 a year for the lowest 4th liner and millions for anybody that is considered average.

The players need to play and play hard and let the league be strong.
        wjc

15. JF says:

According to Renaud Lavoie, not only was no progress made, but the two sides did not actually meet each other, nor are any more meetings scheduled.

• wjc says:

Give me 3 years at $1,000,000.00 a year and I would never have to work again for the rest of my life, even if I was 25 years old.

Don’t forget they get a pension that kicks in when they are 40 or so.

Give me $750,000.00 for 3 years and I would be set. With the proper investments you would never have to work again.

The players if they deferred a large portion of money in tax shelters the money would grow and they could live off the compounded interest.

wjc

• wjc says:

Name me one NHL player over the past 30 years that ended up working at Walmart. When the older players are interviewed they are sometimes still working in the game or on a golf course somewhere, hitting a ball. Some make money off their name endorsing products. Some go the education route and become lawyers, not out of necessity but because they have the smarts.

Some go into hockey analysis if they have the voice and talent. Nobody ends up in a factory, or Mcdonalds, or Walmart, or driving a truck….name one…you can’t..that is for smucks like us.

wjc

• Riga Fraction says:

I know plenty of former players that are teachers, insurance salesmen etc. I don’t know a single NHL owner that had to take on a job though. In case you forgot, that half of the 3.3BILLION is being split only 30 ways, not 700 ways

• HabNut69 says:

Either way I can’t relate to this much money. To me the owners are the owners, the players are the employees. I hate unions, they had their day and once helped the players get a fairer share – now the union is ruining the sport.

I’ve been a fan for 30+ years and watched the NHL go from a great league to a sh*t league run solely by the American dollar. I will never come close in my lifetime to making the kind of money these guys make in just 2 seasons so I just can’t wrap my head around all this. They’ve lost me as a fan. I still love my Habs of the 1st 100 years but I can no longer root for a bunch of spoiled rich kids. Can’t do it…

16. HabFab says:

So Buttman said “Read my lips”
    And Fehr said “What lips? He is lying boys”

And to us…. the FehrButt Nazis say “No hockey for you, you and you”

17. Kevy says:

No progress? What a surprise. Anyone else think that Bettman and Fehr look like the absolutes jokes that they are during these press conferences? Faked emotion fake updates false information. What a joke. The NHL Is seriously looking more and more like the laughing stock of pro sports. NHL NHLPA look at yourselves you are a joke!

Hidden locations, media blackouts, secret proposals, EFF OFF !! Play hockey that’s what you do.

• Habfan10912 says:

Yep. Clearly the league has drawn the line in the sand. With no owners in the room they were NOT going to negotiate today. As our friend Habfab likes to quote Fehrbutt, “No hockey for you.”

———————————–

18. Habfan10912 says:

First to be disappointed.
    But not surprised.