No morning skate for Habs before facing Capitals

With a 5 p.m. start Friday because of the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday weekend, the Canadiens didn’t hold a morning skate in Washington before facing the Capitals (5 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Peter Budaj will start in goal for the Canadiens against the Caps, with Carey Price back in the net Saturday when the Toronto Maple Leafs visit the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

This marks the second straight Friday the Canadiens have played in Washington, with Budaj picking up the win last week in a 3-2 victory over the Caps. Budaj has a 4-1 record this season with one shutout, a 1.58 goals-against average and a .942 save percentage.

Douglas Murray, who needed stitches in his forehead after being cut open in a fight with Buffalo’s John Scott Wednesday, won’t be in the Habs’ lineup, with Francis Bouillon taking his place. Rene Bourque, who has recovered from a groin injury, will be a healthy scratch.

The Canadiens are on a four-game winning streak, while the Capitals have lost four in a row.

(Photo by Alex Brandon/The Associated Press)

Canadiens vs. Capitals preview, NHL.com

Markov, Subban a dynamic duo for Habs, by Pat Hickey

Therrien says Subban making a case for Team Canada, TSN.ca

Canadian Olympic power rankings, ESPN.com

Road blog, Canadiens.com

Caps host Habs for second straight Friday, washingtoncapitals.com

Latest Capitals news, Washington Post

Six Habs players were born in U.S., Stu on Sports blog

Andrighetto working hard to join Habs, NHL.com

The courage of Michael Bournival (video), Canadiens.com

Turn of fortune for Habs, Canadiens.com

Latest Leafs news, National Post

Have Leafs not learned from last season’s Game 7 heartbreak? Toronto Star

More potential trouble for Leafs, Toronto Sun

Cherry makes it hard to rebrand HNIC, montrealgazette.com

1. Et le but says:

WRT the Parros discussion, I agree that 5 games is not a fair sample size to properly evaluate a player’s impact on his team. Maybe I still have lingering memories from the Laracque debacle but boy do they look similar in terms of their skating ability or lack thereof. What concerns me even more about Parros is that he didn’t look particularly effective or intimidating in the ‘fights’ he was involved in.
    So yeah, I could see using him against certain teams with limited ice time but I am not convinced that he is still the ‘heavyweight’ fighter he once was, which is the ONLY reason we signed him IMHO.

• The Dude says:

Ask Colton Orr if Parros is effective or intimidating cause it sure looked to me that Parros made him his bit<h and forced Orr to grab his Vee-neck and headslam him on the second fight.And Lucic can't skate either but ……..

2. Maritime Ronn says:

Re the Parros ‘discussion.’

It’s easy to quote stats ( + -) yet just maybe, there may be other intangibles at play.

If one rewinds the tape, the Parros 1st game was better than expected before ‘chin met ice’ in a cheap, dangerous, and premeditated move by the Kadri Protector.

The line Parros played on actually produced a scoring chance and was nowhere near a liability.
    Since he came back, he cannot keep up with the play.

As for The Room, if Prust is OK + others….

” “It’s always good to have a few guys like that,” Prust said. “It takes the stress away a bit.

“Some nights, the other lineup might have three or four guys and now we can match them pretty good.”

Perhaps we all let the season play itself out and see what happens…

3. DipsyDoodler says:

1. The two best teams in the NHL over the years, Chicago and Detroit, don’t fight much and notably lack enforcers.

2. This doesn’t prevent them from attracting free agents (“players like enforcers” argument).

3. This doesn’t make their stars more vulnerable to cheap shots (corollary: enforcers don’t protect the stars from cheap shots).

4. Enforcers only ever fight other enforcers. They serve no purpose against the Marchands and Neils.

5. Statistically, the enforcers are the worst players in the NHL (along with Dion Phaneuf, for some reason). This is why they play 6 minutes per game. They cannot play hockey. All they can do is fight on skates.

6. All of the above are irrefutable.

4. Bill says:

Habsrule: so we actually agree? Play him against teams with serious goons in limited minutes? What are we arguing about then?

• Habsrule1 says:

I think our bone of contention was with just how bad he has been so far….and don’t get me wrong….he’s been bad. I just don’t really think it’s fair to dump on a guy for 1 really bad game and 4 not too great games after not having a training camp and missing a crapload of time with a fairly significant injury. I also think the plan from the start should have been to only play him when we really need him.

Go Habs Go!!

• DipsyDoodler says:

“I just don’t really think it’s fair to dump on a guy for 1 really bad game and 4 not too great games”

He’s only played 5 games!

• Et le but says:

And we lost all five of them!

• Habsrule1 says:

And his 4 minutes a game were the reasons for all 5 losses. Ok, I get it now.

I learn so much here.

Go Habs Go!!

• Habsrule1 says:

Again, if 5 games is enough for you to judge a player after he missed training camp and had a significant head injury, I’m glad you are not employed by our Montreal Canadiens.

Go Habs Go!!

• Bripro says:

MT pointed out recently that he’s not in game shape.

• shiram says:

Is it related to his concussion, or did he come to camp out of shape?
          I know he was rehabbing an injury in camp too.

• Bripro says:

It seems to me he arrived at training camp in poor shape and being out so early certainly didn’t help.
            He wasn’t allowed to do anything for over two weeks after suffering the concussion.

5. IdleNoMore says:

How is this still going on? Does anyone really think PK76 doesnt make team Cananda?

“He was chewing Juicy Fruit gum, I didn’t know whether to shake his hand or kiss him”

6. Sportfan says:

5 o’clock game how depressing if its a good game i’ll be watching the Canadiens Express

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Habsrule1 says:

At the risk of repeating myself, I love the 5pm start. Get home. Eat and have a beer while watching the game. The 4 year old can watch it all with me before heading to bed.

What’s better than that?

I do feel bad for those who cannot get home in time, but I like it in a selfish me, me, me way.

Go Habs Go!!

• galchenyuk27 says:

lucky its 2m for me

7. Bill says:

GrosBill: that Gainey page cannot be posted too often. It’s hilarious.

8. Bill says:

Cal: hey, I DID say Parros should play against the Leafs and Bruins. Two shifts per game. Be fair.

• Cal says:

Two shifts? Nah, 4 or 5 at least of about 45 seconds in length.
      Besides hopping out during line changes when the whistle’s blown.
      Make it look like he’s going to be out there. Keep Carlyle guessing.

9. GrosBill says:

Sure most of you have seen Gainey’s fake FB page already, but I am reposting it anyway. It is always good for a laugh.

Start from the bottom.

It’s curious that when watching shows like 24CH you see how much the players care about Parros, and how happy they were/are that he is on the team. It is weird because the facts tell us that they should actually be ribbing him constantly and telling him what a bad player he is.

I mean come on, we all know better, we have the stats and proof that he provides nothing to this team.

HI/O really needs to get a few minutes with MB/MT and Gionta and get this straightened out once and for all.

11. Bill says:

MRonn, great link. I had no idea. So if a team does it right … the real salary cap is actually almost five million dollars higher than the actual cap? How did I not know this??

12. Bill says:

Hey thanks, maritime Ronn!

13. Maritime Ronn says:

@ Bill

The other day you were asking about how the bonus system works for Entry Level Contracts.
    I left a link and don’t know if you saw it.

In case you did not, here is the link that is a simple easy read and should answer all your questions.

Then, how Performance Bonuses affect the Cap in either the year earned, or are moved to the following year with certain conditions.

14. Bill says:

Ok habsrule, agree to disagree then. Let’s knock off the insults both of us, that is actually what is lame I guess. We have different opinions. I say Parros is a liability, you say not. We will see. It does seem that the coaching staff agrees with my view though!

• Habsrule1 says:

We don’t totally disagree…that’s probably the worst part. I don’t think 5 games is a good sample size. That said, I also don’t think he has the skill to play every game. Put him in when we need some toughness. My guess is for the most part, he won’t hurt the team when played 5-8 minutes a night.

Go Habs Go!!

15. Bill says:

Habsrule: lame retort. I guess you are saying that Parros is a good hockey player? The numbers don’t lie. The opinion you express is nothing but wishful thinking. You can say that Parros is a + player, but guess what? He’s not. You can say the Habs need him, you can say we’d be worse without him, but don’t pretend he isn’t hurting the team on the ice. You couldn’t defend that view with anything associated with reality.

• Habsrule1 says:

Take out that one game and he’s minus-2. He did hurt them in that one game (he wasn’t the only one). I never said he’s a great player but to lay on him so hard for basically one bad game when he’s hardly given any opportunity to play (not really saying he should, given his talent) is weak at best.

Talk about lame.

Go Habs Go!!

• DipsyDoodler says:

Even better. If you take out Parros’ worst 5 games as a Hab he is an even player, with zero goals against and zero shots against.

• Habsrule1 says:

Nice to know that a 5 game sample size is enough to determine how good a player is after missing training camp and having a significant head injury.

I was wondering what a fair number was. Thanks.

Go Habs Go!!

• Shackles says:

I’m not going to jump to Parros’ defense and claim that he is a game changer by any stretch, but for a guy who had no training camp as a result of surgery and has been out of the line as a result of his noggin’ taking a floggin’; he’s not going to find his legs with 20 minutes of game time over a 2+ month period. Should his ice time be kept to a minimum – absolutely. In doing so, should we expect anything but a sub par performance – no.

16. Bill says:

UCE, I have a PVR, but I could never watch a recorded game. I’m a junkie. Last Friday I was travelling to Cape Breton: watched the game on my phone.

17. Phil C says:

What’s making the Parros discussion so polarized is that he has been just awful since coming back from the concussion, which is essentially every game as a Hab. Ideally, your goon should at least be able to skate and play defensively when not fighting, which is most of the time. I like the idea of having a guy like Parros in the lineup, but not when he has been playing so badly. I hope he can improve in that regard. In 08-09 he had 10 points and finished +8 on an 8th place Anaheim team, so he has been better in the past.

At least Murray can play some meaningful minutes when he is not fighting. As a defensemen, it is easier to match him against the other team’s goon. A 6th defensemen will usually play more than the 12th forward.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Good point. Maybe the layoff will have helped George. While he expressed in interviews that he’s not pleased with sitting out so much, it’s possible he wasn’t quite right when he first got back to action. We saw this quite a bit recently, concussed players who are medically cleared to play but don’t perform for a while until they get their legs and bearings and confidence back.

• Phil C says:

There is no way he was fully recovered in a month. Even GSP was medically suspended for 45 days following his win. Parros came back in 30 days after being knocked out cold.

After my beer-league hockey concussion, it took me almost 4 months to feel right again. I know every concussion is different, but it is also tough to measure the damage. I’m not convinced being “symptom free” is really recovered unless they have done some serious baseline testing to measure any loss of brain function. I really think the NHL should have longer mandatory suspensions following any loss of consciousness.

18. Bill says:

Cal, the fact remains, there is basically no one else on the Habs or indeed the NHL who is on the ice for that many goals against per minute of play.

19. Bill says:

No Timo, it was all her. You don’t even understand how perfect she was. A beautiful dark-haired Czech ballerina with a PhD in linguistics. Be still my heart. I was not remotely in her league, but then who would be? Tomas Plekanec?

• shiram says:

He’s not dating an ugly duckling either.
      Singer and actress, Lucie Vondráčková

• Phil C says:

“That woman was sexy. . . . Out of your league? Son, let women figure out why they won’t screw you. Don’t do it for them.”
      ― Justin Halpern, Sh*t My Dad Says

I hope you took a shot anyways with the Czech goddess. ;-)

• Un Canadien errant says:

I love those few times when I’ve punched above my weight class. The quizzical looks I’d get from buddies, who’d ask me what the hell she was doing with me, were priceless. The trick is to be a cold-hearted realist when it’s happening, understand that it’s not going to last, but enjoy it as much as possible and try to prolong it as much as you can, or at least not blow it prematurely.

20. Bill says:

I always assumed Dustin was a Byfuglien from the planet Byfugly.

Also he himself is pretty Byfugly. It suits him.

21. Bill says:

For guys who mentioned Parise and Marchand changing the pronunciation of their names, let’s not forget Michel “call me Mike” Therrien when he was in Pittsburgh.

I used to know this very pretty Czech girl who always called me “Beeel”. I liked it so much I almost changed my name myself.

22. Bill says:

The only thing you can do with Parros is parachute him into the lineup to face guys like Orr though. He certainly can’t be in the lineup every night.

He has played twenty minutes of hockey this year folks. Twenty minutes. And he’s -5. That’s a goal against every four minutes, for an average of one per game he plays in. You simply cannot have a liability like that on the ice: I don think you could find a single NHL player with worse numbers than that.

Even John Scott is only averaging a goal against every 12 minutes. That’s still horrible, but it’s not Parros-horrible.

I can accept the idea of having Parros on the team, because I genuinely appreciate that he makes some of my fan-friends feel better about the team. But it only goes so far. He should only dress against Toronto and Boston, and should not be put on the ice except to fight with someone, so I’m talking two shifts per game. That way, he only costs the team a goal every four games, instead of every game.

• Timo says:

Three of those goals came in one game though, no?

• Cal says:

Parros was alone on the ice all by himself, was he? No one else made an error on every one of those goals, right? Just checking.

• IdleNoMore says:

are you not the same guy who wanted “grit and sand paper” added this off season? Can’t have it both ways.

• Habsrule1 says:

Bill….lame comment. I beleive 3 of those goals were in 1 game. If given ice time, that would certainly be scaled down a whole lot. Not saying he’s a great player, but it was very easy of you to pick out that stat to slag the guy.
      Most of his career he has been a plus player. Last year was his first really bad year in that regard (minus 15, Filip Kuba was minus 18, Jonathan Huberdeau was minus 15). Before that his worst season in the NHL was a minus 4.

Give it a rest.

Go Habs Go!!

• shiram says:

Just like we should not dismiss a forwards goal total because he scored a hat trick in a game, we should not discredit Parros being on the ice for 5 goals against in 20 minutes of ice.
        Granted there are other factors to look at for those 5 goals, it’s still a revealing stat.

• Habsrule1 says:

You look for consistentcy. If a player scores 3 goals in a game then does nothing for the rest of the year, he’s probably not a top end talent. If a player is a minus-3 in 1 game, then has a few even games and a minus-1 here and there, it’s likely that minus-3 was an anomally.

Don’t let my light defense of Parros make you think I’m happy with his play. I’m not, but picking the stat that makes him look the worst is a bit weak, IMHO. What I’m more dissapointed in is the fact that although he has had a few fights, I don’t think he’s done quite enough to defend/protect his teammates. I may be being too harsh there though….?

Go Habs Go!!

• shiram says:

He has not had much chance to defend anyone, and when presented with the opportunity I thought he did it.
            Maybe I was not watching closely enough.

• Habsrule1 says:

You might be right. I guess the one game I thought he could have done more was against Ottawa. I found that our guys (Gallagher, for example) were getting manhandled and hit hard into the boards. Even though they were not dirty hits, I was expecting something from George.

Go Habs Go!!

• IdleNoMore says:

no more lame then his usual comments

• DipsyDoodler says:

Buffalo gives up 1 goal per 8 minutes shorthanded.

Having John Scott on the ice is only slightly better than being shorthanded.

I takeit Tomas Plekanec will be shadowing Ovi tonight?

24. SteverenO says:

If adding Parros to the lineup results in Bournival getting promoted to a scoring line, AND Parros is kept off the ice against anyone but their 4th line, it may beneficial. The problem with playing Parros when on the road is that the opponents can create a mismatch by virtue of having the last change.

I don’t think that it is worth the risk against the Caps today ,but maybe tomorrow against the leafs at home.

Whatever else he does, I hope that Therrien figures out a way to get Bournival on the ice more often. He’s been playing extremely well on both sides of the rink.

regards,

Steve O.

25. Les Canayens says:

Watching the Rangers/Bruins game. Play by play guy said apparently Brad Marchand recently let people know how to properly pronounce his name by saying it like “Mar-Chan” instead of the French sounding “Mar-Shaan”, which was from the days when he played in the LHJMQ.

26. Mattyleg says:

My worry is not being able to find exactly what I’m looking for at Canadian Tire.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

27. habsfan0 says:

Habs have won 4 in a row,while Caps have lost 4 in a row.
    Law of averages is what worries me the most.

28. Un Canadien errant says:

I’m surprised how many of us are posting that today’s start time is a problem because of the start time and the resultant conflicts with work and other duties (Bill’s son’s hockey game, Front’s liturgy with the new barmaid, …)

Let me highly recommend to all that you acquire a Personal Video Recorder. The PVR is very liberating, in that it allows you to attend to daily duties and unexpected business without missing your games or favourite programs. Any conflicts or fights over the remote, because the Bachelorette is on or an NFL game is being broadcast on another channel is abated. You can watch one while you record the other, and come back to the latter later.

Further, you can literally skip over Don Cherry, Ron McLean and P.J. Stock in five minute increments, and go from the first period right to the second. When you’re watching TSN, you can skip over the commercials in 30 second increments, but still watch the panel, and catch Kate Beirness positively sparkle during her updates.

I highly recommend that all HIO members arm themselves with a PVR, ASAP, before next season and the Nick Kypreos onslaught. It will increase your television viewing pleasure by orders of magnitude.

I personally love the start time, watch the game while enjoying Friday post work beers. Then after the Habs win, I stay around and rub salt in the Leaf fans wounds while John Scott scores a hat trick against the leaves.

• Luke says:

I actually am looking forward to this start time. I get to see how you west coasters watch hockey…

Get home from work, have a couple beers, watch some hockey and eat some dinner… and I still have the entire evening to enjoy at the pub.

• DipsyDoodler says:

First world problems innit?

Of course you West Coasters have always had early starts.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The PVR is great. I used to stay late at the office at the former job, and once people filtered out at 1630 hr I’d start up the radio broadcast of the game, and get home between the second and third periods. The PVR just solves the problem. In fact it makes hockey better, because you get home and there’s already a period waiting for you, ready to go. You can catch up to the live action by zapping commercials and Ron MacLean.

Generally, watching sports on the West Coast rocks. NFL Sunday is so much better when it starts at 10:00 hr, and the late game starts at 17:00 hr, you can still watch “Breaking Bad” or “The Walking Dead” after and still go to bed at a reasonable hour.

• scarboro_habitant says:

I too am looking forward to the 5pm start. I am off fridays and can get on the beer even sooner!

• Phil C says:

I can’t even watch a game in real time anymore, I PVR all the games and watch them about an hour after the start time so I can FF through the crap. All stoppages and commercials drive me crazy now. How quickly we become spoiled.

• ari says:

sport is one of the few things should be watched live.what’s the fun watching the game when you know the score.I can’t watch the game too.but with the traffic on champlain bridge maybe I have a chance to see the highlights!

• Phil C says:

It absolutely ruins it if you know the score. I’ve had to rip the phone out of the wall near the end of games when I had not finished watching it because someone was calling to talk about the game.

Turn off your phone, shut down your computer, unplug the phone, go completely off grid. Just you and the PVR, and be careful not to channel surf where you might inadvertently see the score. I’ve even made to the next day without finding out the score, which is trickier, but doable.

If I find out the score by accident, I often don’t even watch the whole game, I’ll just FF to the goals. Not fun at all.

• Un Canadien errant says:

One of the pitfalls of the PVR, I agree. I stay away from the computer while watching PVR’ed games. It only took a couple times ruining it for myself while checking out my fantasy teams to understand that it’s a no-no. Facebook is also a great way to ruin a PVR’ed game, you’re glancing at status updates during a lull and then someone posts: “Great win today by the Canadiens, Carey gets the shutout!”, and you’re no longer on the edge of your seat.

Wednesday nights we have practice, and I’ll tell the boys when I come in, if the Canadiens are playing, that I have it on PVR so please no updates. They’ll torture me and tease me, pretend to blurt out the score, but generally the system works.

• Bripro says:

I have a serious problem with friday games.
      Friday is poker night. There is no way I miss an escape night with the boys.
      This week is worse though.
      Because my wife is gone to that psychotic shopping bonanza called Black Friday in the U.S. with her friends, I have to be up early (I mean insanely early – 5:30 am) with my grandson.
      Friday night will be early this year.

• IdleNoMore says:

Wait people still “pay” to watch hockey? PVR is so 2000

• Timo says:

PVR is the second best invention since Internet porn.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Well, the VCR did bring about the end of Communism. A couple of my Russian friends explain that once there were a few of those in St. Petersburg (Leningrad at the time) and pirated American movies started floating around, they learned that the average Westerner was quite well off compared to the average Russian. They’d been told all their lives that there was a rich class, then the vast majority of Americans/Westerners who lived in squalor, tenements, with drug addictions and crime and slums, etc. When they got to watch movies like “Jaws” or “E.T.” or “Ferris Bueller”, they realized that the ‘average’ American worker had problems just like the average Russian, but lived in a comfortable home and drove his own car. And the system collapsed, they said, they didn’t believe in their worker’s paradise anymore.

And we all know that the reason the VCR finally took off, after being available but rare for a decade, is because of the introduction of video movies kept in a shoebox underneath the second gym bag in the closet.

So maybe it’s the wheel, then the VCR, then maybe internet, uh, recreation.

• shiram says:

That’s all good and nice for people with cable, but some of us cut the cable a while back.

• IdleNoMore says:

^ this.
        if your still paying for cable, im sorry but brotha your a sucka!!! 5 time!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Shiram, I live without cable over the summer, quite nicely. I read a heck of a lot more, spend a lot of time on the trails or at the lake, and still get to watch a lot of programs online, for cheap. I don’t feel deprived at all.

When fall rolls around though, and NFL and NHL action starts up, I love watching my sports on a big screen with crystal-clear picture, instead of a jumpy, unreliable stream. So I think the investment in cable is worthwhile. Spring rolls around, the Canadiens get offed, and I go back to my more frugal, productive ways.

For those who say they miss games, yet still pay for cable, the $99 investment on a PVR is money very well spent.

• shiram says:

Stream quality is HD equivalent, in my experience.
          And I have an home theater PC, plugged directly in the big screen so that’s not an issue either.
          We should just be happy for the options available to us, but I think the streaming thing could be improved.

29. monmick says:

I hope tryptophan works its magic on the Caps tonight, especially in the 2nd and third periods…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

30. Luke says:

It’s odd having a team with real NHL depth all of a sudden.

Keeping guys like Bourque, Parros, Boullion &/or Murray out when I had gotten so used to the team having to include players like Blunden and St. Denis.

Makes for tougher choices, and certainly better conversation.

I’m getting worried about Parros though. Even though I am not a fan of his role, I am not a fan of simply parachuting him in to match up against glove droppers.

But, who do you take out? And how do you put him in before you put Bourque back in.

I’d be hard pressed to remove DD or Briere since they’ve been scoring. Bournival has exceeded expectations. Moen has played quite well… perhaps he gets a recovery day? White? He’s a centre.

Hmmmm…. Curiouser and Curiouser.

31. habfan100 says:

The Leafs are doing well at the Bell Centre.

They have won 5 of the last 6 since 2011-2012 season.

32. habfan100 says:

Hoping Budaj has another solid outing. He has exceeded my expectations in the last 2 years by several miles. I can see the Caps coming out firing on all cylinders due to this 4 game losing streak.

Really looking forward to tomorrow. Price doesn’t have great numbers against the Leafs but I think he’s going to shut the door tomorrow night. Don’t get me wrong, the Leafs have some good players on their team but they’re constantly getting outshot and now we are seeing the results. The Leafs real record should be more around .500. They clearly can’t play a full sixty minutes since last year and the Habs need to capitalize on that.

Anyway my prediction is the Caps win a close one tonight and we win tomorrow back at home.

33. scarboro_habitant says:

habs better not win tonight and then lose to the laffs tomorrow :S

34. slyCH says:

The site seems to be Jeckyl and Hyding again.

35. DipsyDoodler says:

Habsolutely, thank you so much for making my point for me.

” Detroit [were] built by smart scouting and astute management decisions. Which is what led to their [...] lack of an enforcer.”

Exactly, my friend.

Okay, so I understand and for the most part agree with your point. But my question then is this to you, Whom would you like to see off of our roster get pummelled by Colten Orr or Kyle McLaren? Because the present NHL seems to quite enjoy having these fellows pick their fights, regardless of the lineup we ice. I personally didn’t think it was fair to watch Gorges get the crap kicked out of him last year.

• frontenac1 says:

Some posters don’t mind see our Lads bitch slapped, beat up and embarrassed amigo. They seem to think the Refs or League will take care of business. Turn the other cheek and skate away? May as well bend over and present both cheeks. Glad MB doesn’t share those sentiments.Saludos!

• DipsyDoodler says:

Instigator Rule.

If Murray hadn’t gotten pummeled by Scott, no one else would have. Murray started that fight (I suspect as a way to get more playing time).

Even if Scott jumped a Hab like he did with Phil Kessel, that player would have been unscathed.

The goons only fight other willing goons.

• ont fan says:

Ken Holland on not having a goon,” If you have the puck most of the time and the other team can’t catch up to you, you don’t need one.”

36. stevieray says:

Hard getting used to a Friday game …especially @ supper time

37. slyCH says:

Tired played out cliche of the day…

“He told me just to have fun out there and do what I do best, to compete, to work hard,” Andrighetto said.

Hamilton coach and long-time NHL defenseman Sylvain Lefebvre had some encouraging words for Andrighetto at the start of training camp that have helped him make the transition to pro.

If that’s the extent of coaching you can count me in as a motivational genius.

• I, too, brought my stick and came to play. And I gave it 110%.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

38. Sportfan says:

Sigh I had a feeling there was a new post haha wrote new blog click link below etc haha

39. DalEng says:

Poll questions must be getting thin with a question like that.

40. Max_a_million says:

Okay John LeClair was born about 10 miles outside of Quebec … It’s not like he was from Texas. Bouillon was born in the US, but that’s more of a technicality

41. shiram says:

This early game start is annoying, and there’s no good black friday deals for me to buy.
    bah humbug

I would like to hope that Franky Boo playing tonight means that Murray goes tomorrow night. I would really really like to believe that.

• Maksimir says:

I’m betting that was always the plan – Murray vs Buf/Tor or else Boo would have played Buf.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Until reported differently, still not convinced that Murray doesn’t have a concussion from the Scott fight

• Timo says:

That’s what worries me.

• jimmy shaker says:

Was there even any speculation about a possible concussion? I don’t think there was……I’m thinking he’s just fine and will be ready for the leafs tomorrow night. Just MT’s rotation system for me!

Shaker out!

• habs-fan-84 says:

There’s no evidence to suggest he had a concussion. I’m not sure why this would be speculated.

Boo and Murray have been rotated the past week now. I’m sure Murray will be in tomorrow.

• monmick says:

I read or heard somewhere that his stitches prevent him from wearing his helmut comfortably and should be OK soon. Hoping that that is the extent of it…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• monmick says:

Here is what Dr. Carlyle says: “I have a theory on concussions. I think the reason there’s so much more of them obviously the impact and the size of the equipment and the size of the player — but there’s another factor: everyone wears helmets, and under your skull when you have a helmet on, there’s a heat issue.

“Everyone sweats a lot more, the brain swells. The brain is closer to the skull. Think about it. Does it make sense? Common sense?” said Carlyle, who said he’d never talked to a doctor about his premise, which he was introduced to by Jim Pappin, the former Leaf who also played his career helmet free.

“I don’t know if it’s true, but that would be my theory. Heat expands and cold contracts. The brain is like a muscle, it’s pumping, it swells, it’s a lot closer to the outside of the skull.”

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• 24 Cups says:

Timo – Murray took a hell of a beating. I’m not sure if the stiches will have healed by tomorrow. There also might be the issue of a concussion.

The thought of Frankie playing back-to-back games doesn’t thrill me.

43. DipsyDoodler says:

Hi guys.

There’s one thing I don’t understand.

Here is a ranking from 2 years ago of the top NHL teams over the previous 10 years. You could quibble with the methods, but the outcome is one we’d all agree with: Detroit and NJ are #1 and #2.

I think everyone here accepts that these are two very well run franchises (well, the Devils were until recently), that win consistently despite a lack of top draft picks. Holland and Babcock in particular know what it takes to win in the NHL. So does Lou Lamoriello when his owner lets him do his job.

So, I looked at fighting majors and lo and behold, NJ and Detroit consistently end up at the bottom of the list. Detroit haven’t had an enforcer since Bob Probert, and he’s been in a pickle jar for three years!

Doesn’t this make their achievement even more astounding? Just think if Detroit had had a George Parros or a Colton Orr all those years! They’d have had to give them the actual Stanley Cup like they did for Brazil and the Football World Cup.

44. Cal says:

Here’s more of that trap. The Scott Stevens trap. Note how many blind side head shots there are out of the ten hits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U7jUbKQYdw