No morning skate before Habs face Penguins; White out with flu

The Canadiens flew to Pittsburgh after Wednesday night’s 2-1 overtime loss to the Detroit Red Wings at the Bell Centre and will face Sidney Crosby and the Penguins Thursday night (7 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The Canadiens didn’t have a morning skate in Pittsburgh.

It will be the first game for the Penguins since the Olympic break.

“After a three-week break, we’re not going to be perfect out there on the ice right away,” Penguins defenceman Rob Scuderi told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “But we’ve got (24) games to get our P’s and Q’s together and make sure we have the right mindset heading into the playoffs.”

The Canadiens definitely looked rusty in their first post-Olympic game against the Red Wings.

“The execution was not there and that was for both teams,” Canadiens coach Michel Therrien told reporters after Wednesday’s OT loss. “We put ourselves in a position to get a point and you’re always disappointed when you get to overtime and you don’t get the (extra) point. We were hoping for a shootout, but it didn’t happen.”

The Canadiens’ Ryan White, who has the flu, didn’t make the trip to Pittsburgh.

(Photo by Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press)

Habs vs. Penguins preview, NHL.com

Game Day Report, pittsburghpenguins.com

Penguins’ Letang discusses stroke, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penguins’ Dupuis promises return to 100 per cent, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Late goal salvages point in OT loss to Wings, by Pat Hickey

Execution was not there, Therrien says, by Pat Hickey

With Sochi glow, Wings’ Babcock gets back to business, by Dave Stubbs

Habs vs. Wings photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

1. Mats26 says:

Often read, rarely post. Here is a random post comparing current roster to Habs of yore. An appropriate end to an unproductive work day. Feel free to ignore, disect, or amend.

pleks – rich man’s martin rucinsky
    dd – poor man’s Denis Savard
    pacioretty – poor man’s John LeClair
    gallagher – rich man’s Oleg Petrov
    Gio -Poor man’s Mats Naslund
    Tinordi – poor man’s Big Bird
    PK – never been a Hab like him, maybe Rich man’s Bryan Fogarty?
    Gorges -Poor Man’s Craig Ludwig
    Murray -Poor Man’s Rick Green
    Budaj – Rich man’s Doeg Soetart
    Markov – Rich Man’s Vladimir Malakov
    Beaulieu – Rich man’s Breezer
    Carey Price – Poor Man’s Dryden
    Tokarski – Poor man’s Jocelyn Thibault
    Emelin – Rich man’s Kovalenko (Russian tank comparison only)
    Galchenyuk – Rich Man’s Wickenheiser
    Ryan White – Poor Man’s Claude Lemieux
    Bourque – Poor Man’s Sheldon Souray (Metis comparison only)
    Travis Moen – Poor Man’s Yvon Lambert
    Parros – Rich man’s Laraque
    Briere – Rich Man’s /Poor Man’s Donald Audette (can’t decide)
    Eller – Poor Man’s Koivu (first round Scandinavian comparison)
    Wiese – Rich Man’s Blunden
    Bournival – Poor Man’s Grabovski (non western pronunciation of Michael comparison)

2. boing007 says:

Mitch Melnyk just finished a rant questioning why Galchenyuk gets so few minutes compared to other young and talented players around the NHL. Even some that Therrien coached in Pittsburgh, i.e. Crosby and Malkin. Finished his rant with ‘if the present coach can’t give G more ice time then bring someone in who will give Galchenyuk the ice time that he deserves’. Paraphrasing here.
    Ooh la la.
    Richard R

3. krob1000 says:

For any of you with kids who like sports and lego I just ordered my guy a few of these the other day…they are lego compatible NHL licensed minifugres..complete with numbers, emblems,etc….pretty cool….can get them on ebay too

4. frontenac1 says:

Hey amigos. What’s it like to have a “morning skate” does it hurt or feel good?

5. shiram says:

Bourque has more hits per game than Stewart this season.

• Kooch7800 says:

Stewart has more goals though :)

Actually Bourque’s play has really picked up before the Olympics. He has battled injuries quite a bit this year which I think has impacted him for sure.

Hopefully he gets better for the playoffs

Also, Stewart would not be the answer to our problems but he could help in the grit department. We still really need some top wingers. Gionta is in the twighligh and Briere is done

“Lets Go Canada”

• shiram says:

Well Bourque had alot of goals before coming to the Habs as well.

And yeah the Habs dearly need top wingers with size, and Stewart could be the guy.
        But I’m just tampering my expectations.
        Sounds weird to say that, as there aren’t even rumors of him being traded here.

• Kooch7800 says:

I honestly don’t see the habs making any big moves at the deadline. I think moving Diaz out will be it. In the off season I think MB will be doing most of his work.

Getting PK and Markov signed I think will be his priority. Eller also needs a new contact

“Lets Go Canada”

• Kooch7800 says:

Also, Cammy is back on the crap wagon. Man he is not the player he was before he became a hab. He was great for us in that one playoff run and that was about it.

“Lets Go Canada”

• shiram says:

Agreed, I was wondering what kind of offer Burke made him?
            He’s probably heading for a pay downgrade, even with the increased cap.

6. Luke says:

Enjoy the game folks!

7. BriPro says:

@Mavid and D Mex
    They managed their first shot in the 2nd period at the 12:00 mark, and their “second” shot (the shot counter was being generous) was with less than 2 minutes left.
    The scoreboard notwithstanding, you don’t think they were taught a lesson in puck possession?

The only reason they collected a point was because of Budaj. IMO.

• shiram says:

Yup Budaj, but Gio had a pretty decent game too.

• D Mex says:

@ Bripro

Thanks, I’m aware of the shot count in the 2nd period – commented on it to my wife when she asked how the game was going. I’ve been around hockey for a while now, and get that 2 SOG in 20 minutes is not the winning way.

What you choose to ignore, however, is that my Habs scored the tying goal with less than 30 seconds left in the game. That they kept the game close enough to be able to do this suggests that they fought to keep it close, and played 60 minutes.

They lost by a goal – that’s one goal – in the 65th minute of the game, therefore, your statement below that they were ” handed their butts on a platter “ strikes me as sensationalism. So, congratulations on being sensational.

That what you were looking for ?

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

8. krob1000 says:

This team still has plenty of room fro growth..even as oon as this season…and as much as I have been on MT of late there is still this to hope for if he gives the guys a chance. HE knows what he will get out of Markov, Pleks, Gio, MOen,etc….but thosea re nt the guys that are going to make or break this team come playoff time…it will be how PK, Eller, Chcuky and occasional players like Boruuqe and Emelin are. Are they going to show up? can he ensure that theya re cnfident when they need to be? Maybe he is just tearing them down to build them up, or maybe he is completely oblvious to the fact aht the team missed the playoffs until teh guys I mentioned were regular contributors. Tehyar e teh key to this team….not Ginta, Pleks,marlov….we all know they will show up and do their thing…tehy always do….but for this team to make any noise at ll the younger core has to step up and right now they arenot being given much opportunity to do so.
    Montreal has several players underperforming this season…I am not sure if there is a single player on the the team I can see that is exceeding expectations.

9. boing007 says:

Habs are scoring less than two goals a game five on five this season.

Richard R

10. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Will Tokarski get a game at all? Or is Price expected to be back shortly? I’ve been out of town for the week, so trying to catch up on everything!

Also, TSN talking a lot about Markov. Is that a relatively feasible rumour?

11. DipsyDoodler says:

Matty – re: your question to the “Fire Therrien” crowd.

I know you have two young children.

When they throw their toys out of the pram do you say “Look I’m not trying to start anything, this is a serious question, if you throw out your toys what are you going to play with?”

Because that’s the question you asked.

• BriPro says:

No it’s not.

He was asking if another coach would make the team better.
      Is your dyslexia kicking in again Dipsy?

• The Jackal says:

Maybe another coach would make the team better, but it would be a marginal improvement. This team’s problems are much more than coaching will fix.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• BriPro says:

I guess it depends on which of this year’s Habs teams show up.
          Lights-out one night….
          they should turn out the lights the next.

• Paz says:

Last year we finished 2nd in the conference, this year we are third.

How bad is this team really?

You make it sound like this is lottery level talent here.

• The Jackal says:

It has a lot of room to improve. It’s a slightly above average team with aging veterans that are not getting it done, while our young guys are not quite there yet.

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

12. Luke says:

An interesting read:

That summarizes what’s here in full:

(and this’ll be clipped by the new thread soon)

13. Mr_MacDougall says:

I liked L Elle post below about getting rid of the ‘veteran dead weight’ on the Habs.

I’d consider Gionta, Bourque, Briere, DD, Markov, Gorges all expendable. That’s 26 million in salary.

To move forward this team needs to be turned over to the youth. Officially hand this team over to the youth, then build around them. PK, Price, Patch, Galchenyuk, Tinordi, Beaullieu, Gallagher, and Eller need to be given more responsibility.

I know it wouldn’t be easy to move all of those players, but it could be done.

• AH says:

Your list is spot on, add Moen and it’s complete!

• JUST ME says:

It would be unfair to say dead weight because they were not considered as such before and furthermore if we consider them as such, do you think other teams would think that they are valuable treasures ?

I think it is time to turn the page, move on and try to get the most out of them to replace them with other veterans that will better fit with the core that has been built in the last months.

We must act now and try to avoid to lose them for nothing.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I don’t think their invaluable.. They are “dead weight” for the identity of the team, sure it’s unmeasured, but team identity is huge and those old guys have to leave in order for the next generation to take over.

There is value in Markov, can help a PP UFA.. Easily get a second and prospect.

14. krob1000 says:

Matty re your question below….Montreal is alredy as good as Tampa. Your question re coaching…coaching is not just about coaching…it is people management as we all know coaches don’t play. However,if you view it differently you will see the difference. Can a good CEO run a company better than a bad one? Can a good employer get better results out of the same employees than a bad one? Can a good teacher get better results out of students than a bad one.

Ultimately the palyers are the players but talents can easily be misused, confidence killed, players can have undefined roles rendering them inefficient.

I truly do believe that coaching can make a huge difference ….now is that the same with all ocahces? no…the gap closes as in any other field between some and is wider with others. Also teams vary and there are several factors at play in a game as complex as hockey…but to think coaching is irrelevant IMO is absurd. This isn;t the NHL but I can tell you that every sports team I have ever been on or coached myself has been impacted by decisions. I can tell you my play has been affected by different coaches and confidence was always huge. I can tell you that giving kids confidence both as a player and a coach do make a difference.

I have been on teams that one year win championships and next year miss out completely…same team diff’t coach. If coaches were that irrelevant then they would not have them and certainly wouldn’t pay them millions of dollars.

Either from a players persepctive or coaches persepctive all that matters is this:
    Is the team realizing it’s potential?
    If this is happening and the result is a team well short of success…nothing coach can do. On the other hand if the answer is no…then you have to ask why that is. Sometimes it is players with poor attitudes, sometimes it is coaching, soemtimes it is other factors…but coaching is definitely one of the factors that is most directly linked to maximizing potential. Giving everyone roles, making everyone wnat to play their best (there are different methods…sometimes coaches get along with players, sometimes coaches play the bad guy and the players band together hating the coach, sometimes the coach just mess up.

Your question simply put is a trap and some of those coaches would likely do better and some worse….but do I think MT is getting the most out of his players? absolutely not.

IMO Subban, Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin who were all instrumental in last years success and should have been expected to perform better…all seem to be in less defined roles than last season…and I think the results are showing. They do not seem as happy on the ice, I am seeing far less smiling and far less confidence.

I think MT has taught this team a ton…but I think he is too dependant on veteran players who won’t make mistakes and is not giving who IMO are the best players the best opportunities to succeed which IMo would result in better team success. This team has players who need risk for the reward and if they gain more than they lose than he should give them some room.

Now I am a schmuck typing from work and he is an NHL coach….so I would fail miserably in his role ….but that does not mean he is getting everything he should out of this group and I am sure most would agree with that.
    The GM is not immune to criticism either and neither are the players themselves but collectively…when you look at the bigger picture there appears to be some starnge decisions being made …or so it appears to us…then again I questioned Team Canada and look how that turned out. I figured they would be starved for offense and they were…but I never expected them to give up 3 goals in 6 games….that is just unbelievable.

• Paz says:

Coaching makes a huge difference indeed.

Ask any athlete and they will tell you what kind of coach they like, dislike, motivates them, etc.

• BriPro says:

I’ve coached teams like that.
      Same kids.
      Made the provincial finals one year, missed the playoffs the next.
      I know … I lost the room.

• krob1000 says:

it happens all the time…I fear it may happen to me next season.,.we are having a hugely successful season and have won 3 series and our loop and are in Provincial semi’s but I worry for next year as they are 13 and 14 years old and I can see a couple are starting to tune me out of late. Tried different approaches but a crazy age…a few of them are often found visiting other planets during practice and driving me bananas !!!

• BriPro says:

Good for you.
          You’ll miss it when it’s over.

…. with all the talk of younger ones, (you and Matty), I’m growing nostalgic. :(

• krob1000 says:

I am lucky ..I got another one coming through the pipeline…my stepson is who I have been coaching for years but my little guy is just 5 and is the most hockey obsessed 5 year old you will ever see…looking forward to geting to do it all again! The age gap has its advantages and disavantages but the fact I get about 20 years straight of living in rinks is great!! IT may even work out that by the time my youngest is done my stepson may have one only a few years after…I may take a hiatus from the rink and live at the golfcourse instead….but as a grandparent I’ll be back at the rink likely wanting to go on every bus trip!

15. Kooch7800 says:

I see a lot of questions about Chris Stewart and being traded twice already and questioning his character
    I have only seen him play a few times and some of what I saw would suggest otherwise. He is always sticking up for team mates which would make him popular in the room.

Watch this one:

He can score, hit and handle his own. Something the habs need

“Lets Go Canada”

• shiram says:

Same thing were said of Bourque.

• AH says:

Good point, I don’t know what happened to Bourque. It seemed like when he played for Calgary, he played with way more edge to his game, and it also seemd like everytime we played them he was a factor in the game. Since he came to the Habs, he has not been the same at all..did the Orr concussion basically finish him?

• Kooch7800 says:

Bourque has never been a scrapper or a big hitter. Bourque’s offense on this team this year has been awful and he has had some seriously bad luck as well. He was one of our best in the playoffs last year and seems to be getting his speed back this year. Hopefully he can turn it around

“Lets Go Canada”

• Luke says:

This guy (Bourque) can hit a post like no one I’ve ever seen.

• shiram says:

But the point remains, that all was said about him when he was playing in Calgary, and once he got to Montreal the truth settled in.

I have not watched Stewart enough to know the book on him, but I’m not so sure he’d be the Habs saviour.

Besides, I don’t think we have much that the Blues would be interested in.

16. BriPro says:

Is it just me, or did Carey Price look like he would rather be elsewhere last night during the pomp celebration prior to the game?
    Not once did he crack a smile.

And speaking of celebrations, this too might just be me… (at risk of repeating myself), but I find that every time they have some type of major tribute, jersey retirement…. whatever, the team gets handed their butts on a platter.

• L Elle says:

I noticed that too. He’s more comfortable wearing his mask, methinks, or, he was in a lot of pain, which sucks for him, and us.

• Mavid is a Canadian and Golden Price is OUR MAN says:

He seemed uncomfortable to me as well, there does seem to be a bit of a trend with games that there is ceremony, but I would hardly say they had their butts handed to them..but then I fell asleep..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• BriPro says:

OK and why do you think you fell asleep.
        When the opposition controls 80% of the game’s puck possession.
        Either that, or you’ve been mis-measuring the shots again… :)

• D Mex says:

Indeed : a 2-1 OT loss is hardly them ” handed their butts on a platter “. It sure is catchy to read, tho …

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

• Mr. Biter says:

When Carey was interviewed after the Olympics by a reporter on Sunday he answered the questions, but the way he answered them , he wanted to be somewhere else. Not with disrespect, but no long winded speeches (aka Cherry) and no “you know’s” and kept the interview short and direct to the point. I remember (I believe last year) where he said he hated going out to get groceries as everyone recognized him. Guess he is a small town boy, who does not relish the fame with being one of the best goalies in the world in a hockey wild country/city. Still a country boy at heart.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• Ron says:

It does seem that way, almost like a guaranteed loss after each ceremony. The Centennial seemed to start it off.

I think L is onto something about the mask. I think Price is pretty guarded with his emotions. Completely guessing here, but I think the fishbowl that is the Montreal Canadiens has caused him to essentially try make sure he gives no ammunition to the media and perhaps the fans.

What if he is all smiles last night, then today we read how Price seemed pretty happy about not having to play for the Habs after being on a much better team, etc……

• krob1000 says:

He was just bloated from a few Guiness Babcock talked him into drinking beffore eh ceremony..

• AH says:

Same thing when he spoke after they won the gold, he was about as excited as if he just woke up after a nap. The guy appears to be so low key you sometime wonder if he even has a pulse!

• Cal says:

Price looked like he’d rather have been anywhere else. He barely acknowledged the crowd. As a result, the long ovation expected petered out to nothing in seconds instead of a minute or two.

17. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Normally I don’t post line combinations but ….

I would like to see MT flip Briere and Bourque … I recall that Bourque has played well with Plekanec and Gionta while Briere might slide in well with Eller and Galchenyuk’s creativity. Also, he can take the right side draws …

Of course that gives you three centres on a line … and with White out I guess Eller becomes the 4th line centre with Moen and Parros …

or, egads, it’s dress 7 defence day!

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

I propose that questions posed on this site cannot be longer than 1 paragraph. Therefore Matty, your trick question is no longer valid!

19. UnkleGary says:

Can any Vancouverites suggest a bar downtown that will be playing the habs game? Cheap beer would be a plus. Friendly waitresses would be a double plus.

CH-eers!

20. xaverian001 says:

I haven’t posted in a long time, but I had the unfortunate experience of watching the game last night and I have to hear what others think about the overtime.
    MT basically rolled Plekanec & Gionta and DD/Max as his forward pairs in OT even during 3on3. In a game where they were lucky to get a point and played absolutely awful, why not throw Galchenyuk and Eller out there for a shift of 3on3? I would have loved to have seen what Chucky could have done with all that open ice.
    I’m actually a fan of MT and his approach his second time around in Mtl, but last night had me second guessing his ability to develop our young players.
    Thoughts?

21. AH says:

Hey, who’s that female reporter in the blue?, never seen her before? Does she ask any hard questions?

22. boonie says:

Somehow obtaining “rental” players became a negative thing.

Bond traders know it’s not just the size of your portfolio it’s the duration. In lay terms, how long is the term on your assets. Buying a bond means lending money. Selling bonds means borrowing money. You tend to want to borrow money at low rates. So, when you think rates are going up you sell bonds (borrow money now) and buy bonds (lend money at higher rates later).

Marvin Miller the famous former head of the MLBPA who fought baseball’s reserve clause and valued free agencies said the worst thing that could happen to player salaries was making every player a free agent every year.

In the early years of the NFL cap, neophyte GMs would spend to the cap, be forced to release players and have NO room to maneuver in the off season. It took NFL GMs a few years after instituting a cap to realize that cap flexibility entering free agency was a good thing.

The NHL GMs still don’t realize that sometimes it’s better to have players roll off the books to rebuild a team in the off season.

Teams gunning for the Cup tend to have a great core. They need assets to supplement perceived or real weaknesses prior to the deadline. Ideally, they obtain (older) players who help win a Cup and come off the books. The team can focus on re-signing the core and worry about reloading for a Cup run with rentals the following year.

We need to identify those teams and offer them players like Markov and Gionta to maximize the value of our assets.

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

That was a beautiful thought. The rental certainly works well for a select group of contenders. In the case of Markov the Blues are set on D so it likely won’t be them. Maybe LA thinks it could use some help generating offense from the defense and Washington and the Ducks could use some help on D. Let’s get that bidding war started! The point is a rental could be just what these teams are looking for to get them over the top in the SC playoffs and then the player comes off the books. Pittsburgh gave up 2 seconds for Murray just last year and Markov is much more dynamic. As for offensive D Boston grabbed Kaberle for a prospect a first and a second. Markov is more accomplished. And Kaberle was a rental (UFA that offseason).

Do the math……..7 x 6 = 42…Love our PK!
      24 cups and counting….

23. Mattyleg says:

Got a question for you all, and it’s an honest one, not a pot-stirrer:

Many people saying we should fire Therrien, and have said that for a while. I get it, people don’t like him for a wide variety of reasons that don’t need to be reiterated here. I don’t love him, but I don’t hate him either, and I don’t think that he’s to blame for a lot of what people pin on him.

Here’s the question:

Do you think that another coach (Babcock, Quenneville, Maurice, Suter, Ruff, whoever…) would make this team, with these players, better than Tampa Bay or Boston, or Pittsburgh?

Do you believe that our players are strong enough to be 1st or 2nd in the East, and that it is just a question of changing the coach to make that a reality?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• frontenac1 says:

I hate trick questions Matty.

• Mattyleg says:

Heh heh.
        Ain’t no trick, Fronty.
        Just a question. A change has to make us better.
        If people really believe that a different coach would make us better than those teams, then I’d be behind it!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

I think a change could produce a better game, perhaps less wins now but more down the road. I think a change of coach could produce more development of younger players and indeed show us (and MB) what we have in some of our younger players. I think a change of coach would also satisfy Timo, and that in itself would be more than anything you or I could ever do!

• Mattyleg says:

Haha!

Well, I’m f$%ing sold then!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Mr. Biter says:

Adding a trick to your question. Since about 1/2 of the posters say we should get rid of about 1/2 the team cause they’re useless, is it MT’s fault that the players are useless or is it that because the players are useless that MT is a good coach and is doing a great job with 1/2 a team?

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• mrhabby says:

its about the talent level on the Team..maybe a new coach could get a few more wins but not much more..

• shlamiel says:

Agree, at most they have 9 players to work with.

• AllHailTheFlower says:

The short answer is…no. We just don’t have the horses.

• boonie says:

NOPE.

But here’s what a better coach could do…

Latvia had no business almost beating Canada. They almost did. I ascribe some of that to coaching.

The guy calling the game on NBC pointed out that Nolan took advantage of the penalty box placement to get a guy on a breakaway as a penalty expired.

Latvia didn’t have the horses to beat Canada, but coaching sure helped.

In a league designed for parity, you want every advantage you can get. At the margin, as our team of players improve you want to give them every advantage to win.

Does MT do that?

• mdp2011 says:

It’s funny cause the same people that want Therrien fired are the same people who think the team sucks.

• Habfan10912 says:

Matty your question also raises the point of the teams flawed roster. Here’s my major with MT. I think his use if Galchenyuk has been too conservative. For all intents and purpose, Galchenyuk was the best player selected in his draft. He’s not been given the usual ice time or responsibility that that should warrant. LElle spoke to this in her post below. The same could be said for his handling of Eller as well.

Aren’t the teams 3 most talented players not wearing goalie pads are Galchenyuk, PK and Gallagher. Galchenyuk has not been afforded the opportunity to thrive as yet.

That being said, I’m not sure if the reason for the lack of production from our veteran players is the system or the players themselves. I hope MB knows.

• Sportfan says:

It always depends on who is doing the replacing, if we got a guy like Maurice who has the Jets flying then yes in a heart beat. For me I think if we were to fire MT it would be for a guy who would be good at developing and using Gally, Chucky Eller in better situations, with guys like Chucky we have a great future and I am more worried about what MTs style is doing to the kids.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• canuckbot says:

It wasn’t until today that I though almost any other coach would be better than Therrien. What kind of coah says “We were hoping for a shootout, but it didn’t happen.”??? He wasn’t hoping to win in Overtime? Does that mean he coached the team to try to hang on, not win it outright? Not pleased!

• rhino514 says:

Michael Farber said it best recently on the H/I/O talk show.
      The coach doesn´t make that much of a difference. Period.
      He said there are maybe 3 coaches, maybe 4 in the league who make a bit of a difference.
      So if most coaches are close to each other, it obviously makes sense to have a french canadian or bilingual coach in our local context. Keeping Therrien is a no-brainer unless he loses the team, which clearly hasn´t happened, or unless a truly elite coach becomes available (who would want to coach in Montreal), which is very unlikely.

• dano58 says:

Yes a coach with stones would utilize the tools he had better than M/T does. Look at last night and what they did in OT and sat the young fresh legs in hopes of shootout. Thats not teaching anything to the kids because you already had the point and were on home ice with momentum so teach them and give them the opportunity to have success.

GO HABS GO!!!

“The excitement of the fans in Montreal,especially in the playoffs,I don’t think you can get that anywhere else. For a hockey player,I kind of wish everyone could go through that and experience what it is to play there. It’s very unique.” Saku Koivu

• Mattyleg says:

So you think we would be in first or second place in our Division if we had a different coach, then?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• dano58 says:

Not sure where but at least hope for a little more entertainment for the dollars spent on tickets. Also hope for someone to utilize talent we have accordingly. DD has had Patches forever and Plexs has had Gio for 2+ years but Eller has had a revolving door of line mates forever. A little stability would be nice and I hope next season he can have Bournival full time and maybe Chucky as well if we don’t move him to center.

GO HABS GO!!!

• Cal says:

I think it’s time for the Habs to get back to playing speed oriented puck control hockey, not this dumb ass style this “grinding” team is playing. When you don’t have the horses for dump and chase, you simply don’t play that way. MT is trying to get speedy players to play like they’re pepper mills. They aren’t built that way and it’s just plain stupid for the team to play that way.
      The Habs need a coach that’s ready to use the speed that’s there and stop the nonsense. Too many small players in the top 6 to be grinders.

• Habfan17 says:

Yes, I do believe that those coaches would have one system that the team plays, while making minor adjustments during games to address specific situations

Habfan17

• Luke says:

1) This is two questions.

• krob1000 says:

Well…where did the team finish last season? Should a team that achieved a finish like that witha young core of playes be expected to get better or worse? Did the team lose more than it gained?

• BriPro says:

I guess you didn’t read my post below.
      I know how important you consider my opinion and in that context, I’ll repeat myself:

“I haven’t really complained much about MT this year because, let’s face it, he doesn’t have the talent to work with that the Wings possess.

But it’s been a few games at least where I question what he’s trying to achieve.

For one, I was convinced that PK was going to warm the bench for his first penalty, a totally unnecessary shot to the head the proved Babcock’s point about Subban’s lack of discipline. But nope, he sent him right back out there.

And although Galchenyuk is coming back from a fairly long convalescence, when you’re down to 4 on 4 or even better, 3 on 3 ….. for me?
      I’m show-casing my forwards with the most potential in play-making.
      I like DD (I know… a lot of you are saying “What? are you nuts?”) because I think he’s got very good vision. And Max is a pretty fast skater, but last night, I would have iced the two Gallys with (an un-deterrmined D … PK was in the penalty box) and then called the time-out, instead of DD, Max and Markov.

• L Elle says:

Yes, coaching is huge in this case.

We see our players as not talented enough. I disagree. With the amazing core of this team, they should be playing way better, and cruising to the finish line.

PK and Eller have both regressed under MT’s play-not-to-lose-system. The rest of them look bored, uninspired and lost.

MB shares the responsibility for not getting the horses required as well.

• monmick says:

I think we can definately catch Tampa if we take Cooper and send them Therrien…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Habsrule1 says:

I’ve asked that question here before as well Matty..maybe never as clearly as you though.

The answer, in my opinion, is no. Of course Therrien has made questionable decisions, but many of them seem to work. It’s kinda like Babcock with PK. I questioned the use of Hamuis and others over PK, but at the end of the day, the results were there.

You can be sure that another coach would be questined just as much as this one, and he would get similar results….a bit worse, maybe a bit better, but this team is not Pittsburgh or Chicago. Give Therrien a Croby or Toews and we’d be calling him an f’n genius.

Go Habs Go!!

24. shiram says:

This hip check from Edler is pretty comical

25. Ron says:

Dogs sign another D to a PTO today. Jordon Southorn. There has to be some movement in the works.

26. Mavid is a Canadian and Golden Price is OUR MAN says:

The guys on 1200 are saying Sean Avery is going to be on DWTS..honesly how low can you go…

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

27. habsguru says:

Wilde said on the radio today that Beaulieu was not called back up because of attitude and conditioning reasons. anybody have the dirt on that?

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I think it’s because MB needs to see what he’s got in his defence core. Beaulieau showed he’s ready, if Tinordi can do the same, that gives him some options.

28. rhino514 says:

So any opinions on what the 3rd pairing will be going into the playoffs?
    beaulieu-murray?
    Tinordi-murray?
    beaulieu-tinordi?

29. billylove says:

Successful teams have an identity. They know what style of play gets the best results for them and they stick with it. What is the Hab’s identity? Their supposed to be fast, but I don’t see them winning on “speed.” They’ve got a world class goalie so are they a strong defensive club? Not with the current group of dmen in front of that world class goalie. Are they a scoring team, are they a tough team? What is the frickin identity of this group?

30. Hobie Hansen says:

So we’ve figured out Eller is better than Desharnais and is being screwed by Therrien.

We’ve also all agreed that a 1-year-deal for Markov would be fine, two is pushing it and if he’s expecting more that he should be traded for picks and prospects.

And finally, Subban displayed last night why he only played one game in the Olympics. He took a couple penalties, one being foolish and then fell asleep on the OT goal by letting the Detroit player get behind him.

31. dano58 says:

I was at the game or rather interrupted practice last night and saw what I have seen all year no matter the situation. M/T gets out coached all the time by anyone and everyone. Please M/B trade, dump or buy him out soon because this is not entertainment. I can take missing the playoffs but watching this kind of hockey especially after the pre game ceremonies last night is terrible( trying to keep it clean so use your own adjectives to describe that mess). What in the world is he doing with the worst 5 on 5 play in the league almost and still playing dumb(intentional) and chase hockey. Also the OT with no kids who are younger and have fresh legs and instead trying to play for a shootout? What a joke for a game plan as well as a coach. Chucky looked horrified sitting there knowing he could have had fun and changed things. Enough because I could go on forever. M/B please drop him at seasons end or we may loose these kids forever like what could be happening in Edmonton. PK has regressed under his tight reins and the other kids are looking mystified and cautious.

GO HABS GO!!!

“Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reasons” (unknown)

32. DipsyDoodler says:

A good read from Eric Engels (who definitely needs a better gig than hockeybuzz).

Among his interesting observations: Briere, Murray and Moen all have trade value. Surprising to me. He says he got it from a pro scout.

I actually think all three would be valuable to us against the Bruins in the playoffs. If Tinordi impresses, Murray might be traded, according to EE. This possibly explains why Tinordi was called up instead of Beaulieu.

33. habsguru says:

anybody else wondering why Tinordi was out on the PK against some of the smarter vets in the league? not pinning the goal entirely on him, but not a wise coaching decision.

34. Steeltown Hab says:

Simple changes for a drastic turnaround:

- Fire Therrien, same system, same poor hanging on for dear life play, doesn’t make changes
    - Tinordi and Beaulieu in the line up full-time
    - Move Emelin to the left side (pathetic this still hasn’t happened)
    - Get rid of Desharnais and move Eller up (Plek – Eller- Galchenyuk)

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

35. L Elle says:

If you give youngsters responsibility, you’d be surprised how well they perform.

I soured once from this team in the past, and, if not for, Price, PK, Gally(2), Eller, MaxP and a few others, I would sour again.

Even if they had won last night, it would have made no difference. A point, here or there, they are still an average team, but with elite goaltending.

I would try to trade everyone else, and get as much return as possible, for a brighter future. The only goal any team should have is winning a Stanley Cup. I am sorry but making the playoffs, and being annihalated/embarrassed is not my idea of success.

If you hand over the reins to the youth, and keep some character older guys for guidance, they might not win the Cup the first year, but at least they will have gained experience and the realization that if they fail, they have no one else to blame but themselves. Also, it is a great motivator.

When MB first came on the scene, he traded Cole for Ryder, and I though, wow a ballsy GM, a mover and a shaker. Since then, zilch.

MT is not the worst coach, but he isn’t ideal either. In one of his first interviews he was asked to do a word association for each player.

“DD, a very important player. Eller, a work in progress.” (said with a sour face). wtf?

Management has been disappointing so far. Coaching as well.

Chucky on any other team would be playing 30 minutes a night, and probably would have a “C” on his chest. Not saying this is ideal as well. How about somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. Is MT that clueless?

I don’t think Hab fans are that ignorant not to see that the make-up of this team has some rot in it.

For myself, I felt like I wasted my time watching last night’s game, and I could’ve watched the highlites in 5 seconds.

I’m not happy about being negative, but without emergency intervention, we are doomed.

L Elle for Prime Minister!

• Steeltown Hab says:

At this point I blame Bergevin because it’s his responsiblity to make changes when the coaching is this bad. When Therrien is fired, he’ll get no calls for head coaching jobs, the french requirement is embarassing.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Cal says:

Enough with the “french requirement” being embarrassing. It is the policy of the bleeping team. It has been for about 25 years, so quit griping like a broken record. Want an English coach? There are 29 other teams with them.

• D Mex says:

Couldn’t agree more Cal – I like your fire. It is a reality of this team and the geographical area that serves as its home base. Steeltown is code for Hamilton, and that geography speaks for itself.

I get your final comment – 29 teams – but the reality is that a smaller number than that actually operate with unilingual anglophones or non-french speakers. NYR, CGY and COL come to mind, and the reason for this is that the bilingual francophone coaches in those markets have experience and success behind them.

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• frontenac1 says:

Keep the Faith Elle! Don’t give up!

• Cal says:

See the Oilers, Edmonton. That’s what happens when you hand the reins to youth. I am for trading vets that don’t pull their weight, as well, but which do you keep. Trading away the “dregs” like Moen, Bourque and the like won’t change much. The return will be the same kind of player that mails it in more often than not.
      I would move DD and give Galchenyuk Patches and Gallagher.

• L Elle says:

The Oilers are not a good example Cal. Their youth come up and are not made accountable. Pretty much they do whatever they want. Also, their mangement has not integrated quality vets, and have failed to draft D men to have a well rounded team..

Our kids already have more experience and are, at least, defensively responsible.

The idea is to trade players with the highest value, that won’t be around, or as valuable 1 or 2 years from now to speed the winning process up.

It’s a waste of our best players to make them wait and wait for draft picks to “maybe” turn into homeruns.

36. krob1000 says:

After all of the line juggling when teh team has had success scoring over the years…we are now confronted with the longest stretch of offesnive futility and the team has decided to keep the lines together…
    I would seriously be quite fine with drawing names from a hat for tonights game….

37. Dr.Rex says:

Which scenario would scare hockey insider outer’s the most?
    a) Therrien is fired minutes before tonight’s game and replaced by Iron Mike.
    b) Markov is dealt for another small forward
    c) Price is announced out for 4 weeks.
    d) Tinordi announces he plans to attend Douglas Murray’s skating school in the summer.
    e) Lars Eller goes another game without touching the puck.

38. shiram says:

I hate how boring the Habs have become, they were more exciting in the Jacques Martin era, and that’s saying a lot.

• Dr.Rex says:

I found them really exciting to watch last season. But every game this year I find myself bored within 5 minutes. Last night was painful and it seems to be getting worse.

When a team based on speed plays lazy then this is the result.

• Paz says:

You have a team blessed with one of the best goalies in the world,
      you get hired as the coach,
      you come out guns blazing last year and the fist time in years the Habs are scoring goals
      Your team beats everyone until the injury bug hits at exactly the wrong time
      So what do you do?

Change the system, play defensively, play not to lose???

• frontenac1 says:

Trevor Gillies would add a bit of fun to the Line up.

39. Habfan17 says:

I get giving the day off to Markov, Emelin, Price and maybe PK, but not the rest. Didn’t they have enough time off during the Olympic break?

Habfan17

40. Stevie.Ray says:

We should trade Markov to Detroit for a first and Mantha, then Detroit doesn’t make the playoffs, they win the draft lottery, we get the first overall pick, then we resign Markov in July.

Next year we’ll have Mantha, Markov, and Ekblad.

Being a GM is easy with a mind like mine.

41. habs-fan-84 is Canadian says:

Burly:
    Just wanted to let you know I did get your message last week when I was in Aruba – just never got around to responding, sorry. It was my second time there and it was even better than the first!
    Cheers,

42. B says:

3 teams in the East currently rank ahead of Montreal.
    5 teams in the West currently rank ahead of Montreal.

–Go Habs Go!–

43. Habfan17 says:

Therrien just proved he has no clue. ” we were hoping for a shoot out! ” Both teams showed rust! Give me a break. Detroit may not have been at their best, Franzen was playing just his 2nd game since December, Zetterberg was out and Datsyuk was coming back from injury. If it weren’t for Budaj, it would not have gone to over time!

Habfan17

44. knob says:

After last night, I too am convinced like MT is that this team does not need to practice.

• Habfan17 says:

I think he has run out of ideas and needs to hide! I have never seen a team get so many days off when they obviously need the practice. I know they have mandated days off, but the Habs take way more than those.

Most teams complain with the busy schedule, they don’t have enough time to practice, Therrien prefers to take time off. Maybe they would execute better and hit the net more often with some practice.

Here is a drill, have each player practice shooting at the net with a Hanson brother skating towards them, gloves off and aluminum foil on their hands! Teach them how to shoot and hit the net under pressure. Oh yeah, they miss when they aren’t under pressure!
      Practice that too!

Habfan17

45. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I know it will probably be Budaj tonight, but at some point here, if Price isn’t dressed, I think it’s worth seeing what we’ve got in Tokarski. He’s been great in the AHL, has won a WJC gold, a Calder Cup, a Memorial Cup. I’d like to see if he’s ready for the NHL.

46. sims says:

why would you hope for a shootout, especially w this team??

47. knob says:

Therrien says “We were hoping for a shootout, but it didn’t happen”. Are you f’ing kidding me! Why would a coach hope for a shoot out? Especially with the shooters he tends to pick. My God, what a brilliant coach.

48. Habitforming says:

I’m not surprised at all by the majority who want to trade Markov, I’m one of them. To get value you have to trade value. So why wait a year or two until his value has dropped and then ship him off to a contender for a 2nd and some fring player. We could move him now, get actual assets and give either Tinordi or Beaulieu the last 25 games for experience.

Or does this make too much sense?

• JUST ME says:

I think that Markov`s value is as high as it will ever be and that we have to turn the page, get the most of what we can with him or a package deal and look forward to a new era. At one point although i tend to be too sentimental about the habs players,one has to act business like and make significant changes . I am not trying to find any guilty party but one has to admit that we did not get to the one and only goal an NHL team should have so changes are needed.

49. HammerHab says:

Galchenyuk
    Eller
    Plekanec
    White

Is it just me or is that a solid set of centers? Chucky needs to start playing top minutes and Eller needs more ice time as well to blossom into that 2nd center we need him to be. Plekanec is 31 and ain’t getting any younger….he will need to accept the role as the 3rd line, shutdown, defensive center and I think he is perfect for that. He’d be the best 3rd line center in the league. Tell me that Bournival, Pleks & Prust isn’t a threat on both ends of the ice and would easily be a top 5 3rd line in the league. And Whitey is a more than adequate 4th line center. I really hope this is what we see next year down the middle.

As for DD I get the love for him but at the same time I don’t if that makes any sense. He is not a top 3 center on this team, he cannot play wing. He does not fit. That’s the bottom line. I don’t care how great of a guy he is, how hard he worked to get here, how much heart he has, or that Patches is his bff….I love the guy but he doesnt fit. Period. MB needs to trade him…Anaheim might be a good destination, Saku will likely retire after this year and playing behind a true #1 center with size in Getzlaf, and having wingers with size who can dig the puck out of the corners is well suited for him….or hell trade him to Tampa for MSL :P

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• bwoar says:

There’s only 1 solid centre in that group, actually. The guy in the turtleneck.

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

White is fine on a 4th line. Chucky…jury’s out (he hasn’t played center at the NHL level long enough to judge). Pleky is a good 2nd line pivot. Eller doesn’t rate at all. I’d trade him in a heart beat.

• jols says:

That’s exactly the center men we should go with. It doesn’t require a trade or anything, just the removal of DD and the insertion of Galchenyuk in DD’s spot. It will never happen though, we are talking about Montreal.

50. BriPro says:

This Cage-aux-Sports commercial shows a “reveur” (dreamer) saying:

“All we need are 3-4 good defencemen, 2 big trios, and goalie…. and we’re there!”

Aside from the goalie, I’m not sure he’s far wrong. Especially when you watch uninspiring efforts like last night.

When you’re best forward is your 5’6″ Captain, and you’re hanging part of your D hopes on a call-up (Tinordi- who by the way, when the season started was hitting everything and anything that moved, just to impress, and yet has seemed to lose that ability), you know that this is not the year when your name will engraved on Lord Stanley.

In that spirit, following what Burly said, I’m torn on whether or not to trade Markov. I’ve said it before many times, he’s got hockey IQ out the wazoo. But his legs don’t have the speed they had. So while he’s still got some very good value, it would be worth taking a look at.

There is no way that this would reap immediate dividends, with high draft choices and perhaps a 2nd or 3rd rounder, but it could build for the future.

It won’t be next year either. Just look at Tinordi, and you know he’s still a work-in-progress. Personally, I think Beaulieu is at least a full length ahead.

I just hope to live another Saint Catherine street parade before I die.

• CH Marshall says:

Pretty much. I reckon we need 4 new forwards that are NOT small- there really should only be 1 forward that’s undersized, and it should be Gallagher. Wishful thinking tho’…

51. CJ says:

So, Ryan White didn’t make the trip (flu). Reports are that either Bouilion or Parros will be in the lineup.

52. Ozmodiar says:

Do you think the Canadiens should trade Andrei Markov?

Um, for who/what?

For Ville Leino? No, thanks.

For Kuznetsov or Burakovsky or Toffoli or (one of the) Wilson(s)? Sure.

• theflukester says:

You’d be surprised who could/would want him. He’s past his prime just some people here are in denial. I don’t agree with those trying to blow him up into being amazing. He’s not, far from it too. He makes a lot of mistakes out there and he’s slower than molasses. Then again, so is Gorges…trade them, get something for them even if it’s draft picks. Bring up the young guys and play them. This team is going nowhere in these playoffs nor will they next year or the year later. I sound depressing, I am depressed but this is inevitably what it will be.

Play every game as if it is your last one. Guy Lafleur

• Cal says:

If you think Markov is bad, wait until you see the kids.

• SC27 says:

It really isn’t as easy as it sounds to trade players. There has to be a market for them. Sure, Markov has a market; but whether that is in the interest of the Habs’ management to actually deal him creates another barrier. Is there really a market out there for Gorges? or DD? or Bourque? Bourque was attempted to be dealt but clearly, and I don’t blame the other side, they wanted what Montreal did not want to give up for what they were getting in return.

• Habfan17 says:

According to Mackenzie and other hockey insiders, defencemen are in high demand this trade deadline and there aren’t many good ones available. It is the perfect time to trade Markov!

Habfan17

• theflukester says:

Yep exactly. About signing Markov, I like him, it’s not because I don’t. It makes sense for this team to get rid of them if you consider the promise made unto fans. Things have to change, we need to be a real contender. Then change it! To me right now it was just all smoke.

Play every game as if it is your last one. Guy Lafleur

• SC27 says:

Afternoon!

I, not unlike most of us here, do not even take those rumors with a grain of salt. I am not sure who is worse, Mackenzie or that idiot Bruce Garrioch. Actually, I’m entirely certain that they are all idiots.

About Andrei, it is no doubt a good time to deal him but I just cannot see it happening. As much good as it does for the future, I don’t think Bergevin has the guts to do it. To be honest, I still like Markov. A high IQ two-way defender with loads of experience is great for the youth, but not better for the future.

53. mchenske4 says:

This trade deadline, could we please, please, please try to bring in a scorer? Every year it’s sheer disappointment :( Sheesh

54. BriPro says:

It was definitely and un-impressive demonstration on our Habs’ part last night.

Coach Babcock (remember him? … the Team Canada Coach that many had burning in effigy) certainly showed what it takes to spank the other team from start to finish.

And although Galchenyuk is coming back from a fairly long convalescence, but when you’re down to 4 on 4 or even better, 3 on 3 ….. for me?
    I’m show-casing my forwards with the most potential in play-making.
    I like DD (I know… a lot of you are saying “What? are you nuts?”) because I think he’s got very good vision. And Max is a pretty fast skater, but last night, I would have iced the two Gallys with PK and then called the time-out, instead of DD, Max and Markov.

Too much open ice and speed for Markov, and a lot of room for our two second-year crashers. I was scratching my head when MT called a time-out and sent Max and DD back out.

Yeah… he’s starting to irk me.

55. krob1000 says:

This thread is crap…let me fix it for Burly…
    Eller > DD …there now we can proceed.

56. Hobie Hansen says:

Pretty crazy footage of snow squall that caused a massive car pileup on highway 400 in Toronto…

• Mattyleg says:

Friend of mine was (is?) stuck in the middle of it.
      Didn’t hit anyone, and narrowly missed getting plowed into from behind by a fully-loaded semi.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

57. Max_Hab_Fan says:

Bulldogs sign Nathan McIver (defense) to a one year contract as per habsprospects.com. He’s a 29 yr old left shooting defense. Only Darren Dietz is injured and it’s day to day. Maybe one of Jarred Tinordi or Nathan Beaulieu will be staying with Montreal. Or a trade is in the works to move our log jam of defense. I believe Davis Drewiske is ready to go, but has had family issues to deal with at home. Once he is back the Habs will have P.K., Markov, Gorges, Emelin, Murray, Boullion, Drewiske and Tinordi. Looking forward, if Pateryn and Beaulieu are ready next year I doubt the Habs want to have so many rookie defense without some experience in the NHL.
    If it were up to me, I would trade Markov. Send Drewiske to the minors. Bring up Beaulieu and let the rookies get some experience. Play P.K. with Gorges. Move Emelin to the left side and play him with Beaulieu. Murray and Tinordi as the third pairing with the Cube on deck.
    Just some random thoughts.
    Enjoy the day!

58. Price07 says:

Who is that babe of a reporter in blue?

59. jols says:

” We were hoping for a shootout” – Buffoon.

Interesting vote split on the Markov trade poll.

• Paz says:

There is way too much pressure on a Habs GM to make the playoffs for Bergevin to have the balls to trade Markov.

If the Habs were a long shot to make the playoffs that would be a different story.

Toughest GM job in the NHL, I still like the choice, but he needs to make sure his next moves are the right moves. Not every GM gets to be like Sather and be given a locker full of mulligans. I suppose Sather did “earn” them in Edmonton, but that is another whole discussion.

I am torn on the trading of Markov, I see the merits of keeping him and trading him. It really is predicated on whether or not he is able to make some other moves. And as well the point you make is very very valid. Miss the playoffs in Montreal and you’ve angry mobs and an owner who just missed out on a very big pay check!

• Paz says:

Consider this. If you were Markov would you not want to test free agency on July 1st regardless.

Maybe someone will give you the 4 years Philly gave Streit.

I don’t think the Habs have offered 4 years.

I am not convinced Markov would do that, and I have to believe MB and Andrei know already if they are going to get a deal done. If MB hasn’t had that conversation or still has no idea if he will be able to re-sign Markov, then Houston we have a problem.

• Ron says:

@Burl. From last thread very cute :D. It only appears that way. On another note try and talk HabsFab (Frank) into next years Summit. I offered free transport up and back with my crew (son and 2 older grandkids). Some other perks as well. He’s usually busy work wise that time of year but I think you could manage it with your subtle personality.

61. Walmyr says:

no podium for myself

62. Habcouver says:

Do we see DT in goal tonight?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

63. BriPro says:

Oooooo yeah!

Fellow posters, eat your heart out.