No June swoon for HIO

New numbers from Google Analytics, passed along by David Klimek, the Gazette’s marketing stats wizard:

Page views in June: 1,618,680

In June, 2009: 1,273,783

Thanks to all you wacky fans, we were up 31 per cent during a month when the Canadiens weren’t playing hockey.

And the mobile version had 78,719 page views.

1. novahab says:

So Dave Hodge said yesterday on the Toronto sport network when he was with all the other Toronto fans and that kiss butt McQuire that he hates the salary cap. Sure he hates the salary cap because the Leafs can’t buy a cup, they need a GM. Oh wait a minute Dave the Leafs did try to buy a cup and they couldn’t do that right either.

2. crabvader says:

It has nothing to do with disrespect though, that’s the thing.

He just wants a payday, would you sit there and settle for less if you knew you could get more?

3. crabvader says:

Dude, baseball players make triple what our maximum cap is.

What’s the reasoning? These guys are far less talented and put MUCH less effort into their work than hockey players.

I am indifferent about contracts. It seems everyone gets butthurt cause this guy is commanding league maximum.

Just let him be! Lol, it’s ridiculous and mind-boggling that people can go crazy over what a guy wants when there are individuals in crappier sports that make HUGE amounts more.

What I am saying is, if anyone is to complain about money making, go to a baseball forum!

4. Curtoph says:

Maybe I am just jealous that I only get 13.80/hr at my job… :D I want 10 million dollars, that’s like winning a lottery :(

5. crabvader says:

Pittsburgh is doing fine with two guys making over 8mil per.

NY Yankees average 45,667 per game. That’s more revenue right there. Football too. Basketball although with a lower capacity to fill seats still has major broadcasting contracts that the NHL doesn’t. The NHL has always been behind the NBA, MLB and the NFL in terms of salary. That would still be the case even if there wasn’t a salary cap.

7. crabvader says:

But the cap is 10mil.

Why wouldn’t he at least try to attain that money if he can? Does he owe anyone anything? No.

I mean, I HATE agents. I think they are a blight to any sport but Kovalchuk is doing what most people with his talent would do, fetch the most money they can.

8. novahab says:

Is there a team that has the room to pay Kovalchuk 10mil a year with out tearing their team apart. I say he would have been signed yesterday if there was so I thinking his price better come down.

9. aemarchand11 says:

I just get the feel that he thinks hes above any team. IMO nobody should make more money than the premier players like Ovi or Sid. I know they have support staff but they’re the ones making all this new revenue for the league.

He’s arguably the BEST pure sniper in the league, just wish he would know his place and take an 8M dollar/yr contract so teams can afford to get him the support he needs to win.

10. JSP1990 says:

I know what ya mean about the baseball players, but let those idiots get those contracts. $10 million in the NHL is ALOT of money. Well it’s alot of money anywhere, but especially in the NHL salary cap era. It’s insane for him to think he can make more money then Crosby or Ovechkin.

11. SeriousFan09 says:

Why should he throw his NHL career away in Atlanta? It’s a dead-end team with no money that isn’t going anywhere. I don’t see why he owes that club the rest of his life. I hope Jarome Iginla jumps ship when his contract runs out in CGY so he can go play for a Cup Team while I’m speaking on the subject.

Teams that are too weak to survive or are self-destructive but too well-financed to die don’t deserve eternal loyalty while the clock runs out on the careers of guys who often have to quit the game before they’re even 40.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

12. Curtoph says:

Yeah, but from 6.4 million a year, to 10 million a year? For what he didn’t up his skill or anything, he’s just still as good as he was. I would think to pay him most 8 million, but who knows.

13. crabvader says:

I dunno why everyone is hollering about a 10mil contract. Have you seen how much baseball players make?!?!!

14. c.robillard says:

So the guy passed on 100 million for 10 years in Atlanta. The guy may not play anywhere at all, all because he didn’t want to stay in Atlanta. I hope no one gives him a contract. I hope he yelps back to the KHL where he has to deal with the mafia.

Good Riddance Kovalchuk.

15. Storm Man says:

Yes it is, Last year it was 127 mil should go up this coming season.

16. crabvader says:

Kovalchuk is a top 5 talent in the world. I mean look at other people’s salaries who haven’t even come close to Kovalchuk’s numbers.

Blame agents, not players.

Kovalchuk is worth that type of money if you compare to a lot of other inflated contracts. Why should Kovalchuk be the guy that says “Let me be the first to take a pay cut to make an example”.

It’s like if I said I would like you to be a desk clerk instead of CEO of your company, would you do it? Of course not.

17. TripleX says:

But the NFL is a cap league isn’t it?

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

18. crabvader says:

More like there’s no offence in Jersey.

19. Robert L says:

Hamrlik has a no movement clause. He can’t be traded, minored, or bought out. He can be asked if he would okay a deal, that’s about it.

20. avatar_58 says:

Agreed but if he keeps up this money-money-money stuff he’s bad for the UFA market and russian players in general.

21. avatar_58 says:

There’s no ‘I’ in team but clearly Kovalchuk thinks so. I bet the flyers were sure afraid.

22. Storm Man says:

Franchise tag is for a player who is going to be a UFA it could be a exclusive and non-exclusive. It gives the team the right to match any offers from other teams, If not the team that makes the offer and the player goes to that team the payment is 2 1st round picks so you dont lose that player for nothing.

23. crabvader says:

Lol, even though Atlanta never got really far, Kovalchuk was pretty much a one-man team. Teams fear the Chuk.

24. punkster says:

Absurd amount of money. Let some dumbass GM pony up that kind of cash and watch his team wallow in the depths of bubbleness for years.

No wait…

FREE TIMO!

25. crabvader says:

In a perfect world, all we and GM’s can do though is go with the flow, lol.

Kovalchuk needs to stay in the NHL. He’s good for the sport of hockey.

——————————————————————

Enjoy!

26. avatar_58 says:

What the hell is wrong with this guy? Just take a regular salary and get over yourself. He’s good but not 1-man team good. Why wouldn’t he take a little less to go on a good team and get himself a cup or two?

27. Mark C says:

Just as an FYI: in the NFL a “franchise player” counts against the cap. It is a means of protecting one player a year from leaving as a free agent. If you franchise a player is salary for the next season is the average of the top 5 players at his position, unless of course he re-signs under an extension.

28. SeriousFan09 says:

Kovalchuk is a brilliant goal scorer, if there wasn’t Ovechkin he would be the best goal scorer in the NHL. However his getting that cash just makes the whole FA market situation even worse by handing out another inflated contract. Too many guys are already earning above what others of the same ability are getting, need some more sanity and balance right now.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

29. Mark C says:

double post

30. habs fan from stonyplain says:

yes you do unless he clears and goes down to the minors and gets called back

31. crabvader says:

But Kovalchuk scores more than 40 goals EVERY SINGLE YEAR HE PLAYS.

Since 2004 he’s scored more than 40 goals every year!

People are just losing interest because he had a bad stint with a terribly defensive team that can barely generate any offense.

Kovalchuk scored a load of goals for a TERRIBLE Atlanta team. That has to mean something.

32. Storm Man says:

That is not what the Franchise tag is about in the NFL.

33. punkster says:

Someone on here will ;)

FREE TIMO!

34. aemarchand11 says:

No way he makes more the Crosby or Ovechkin. IMO he shouldnt make anymore then Rick Nash or Iginla. They put up pretty good numbers without anyone to work with as well.

Enjoy the weather in Russia, thats rediculous! Espicially since he hasnt proven anything, except regular season stats!

35. crabvader says:

Kovalchuk can command that salary here and wear a tutu for all I care.

That guy is crazy good.

36. habs fan from stonyplain says:

someone should drug test mr. sutter, you think we are against the cap there are over the cap with the two slugs they signed

37. Shiloh says:

Do you have to eat the entire 5.4 million if he is picked up on waivers?

38. aemarchand11 says:

Oh dont get me wrong, I would ONLY grab off re-entry for half the salary. Not a chance at the 5.4M, thats worse than Hamrlik’s!

39. TripleX says:

From the Twitter account of James Mirtle:

Before fans get too excited: LA Times: “…Kovalchuk is aiming high – think $10 million a year for 10 to 12 years…”http://bit.ly/9iQSDO

via TweetDeck

No wonder it is taking so long to get a deal!

40. Shiloh says:

I’d like to see Souray back.

41. habs fan from stonyplain says:

yes but he is a 5.4 cap hit and as slow as gill

42. crabvader says:

Nobody on that young Avalance team is a playmaker.

Remember when he played with Sakic? Over 25 goals.

Pleks and him with Cammy would light it up.

43. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I like this roster a lot more than current one, haha. Even though it’s 1 more player added.

44. crabvader says:

The colder, the better!

I hate warm weather, haha!

45. crabvader says:

I was thinking more along the lines of:

A.Kost-Gomaize-Giontuh

Callammari-Turtlenec-Svatos

Poulet-Eller-Boyd

Moen-Lapierre-Darche/White

Markoff-Amerleek

Souppane-Spaceman

Gorgeous-Gillz

——————————————————————

Enjoy!

46. aemarchand11 says:

Souray + Markov = Magic

PK Subban + Spacek = 2 Amazing Powerplay Units.

If Hammer could get moved, I would make the trade. We have enough defensively responsible defencemen now. Gorges, OB, Gill even Spacek.  Unlike before with, Dandy and Breezer.

Only 2 years left, and for 2.7 his 15 goals a year will be greatly appreciated. Not like he has to be a top-4 at that salary. He will be UFA when Subban is up for his contract renewal!

47. Kingofswing74 says:

as do i. i also like reading other people’s opinions, they can be interesting.

48. Curtoph says:

Yeah and he’s much more injury prone than Hammer is, I remember seeing him fight iggy then he ended up breaking his hand in the fight. Not a good idea!

49. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Hamrlik only has 1 year left on his contract.

Instead of taking on a long contract to just give up a veteran, why not wait 1 more year until you have 5.5 M cap space freed up for next season. You can get a Hamhuis-Michalek type of young defenseman with that money.

I would wait a year, let’s be patient.

50. pmaraw says:

i cant imagine a way to correct you for being wrong about what you think lol

51. mike g says:

I’m not high on Svatos…

Appart from his injury issues, you must analyze the fact that he struggled on a very vulnerable Avalanche team this year. No roster spots were guaranteed during the year, and Sacco coached to win with his hardest working players. Those who baught into that style, played big minutes and contributed to a surprising playoff birth. But then you had talented guys like Svatos who just couldn’t cut it on a very young team, and one where he should have had top 4 minutes solidified. He registered 11 points, 4 of those for goals.

Were coached by JM, so I don’t see how he would fit here.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

52. Curtoph says:

Can’t wait till feburary when our Habs take on the Flames in the Herritage Classic game! I was fortunate to be at the first Herritage Classic game in Edmonton!! Habs won the game too, but it was minus 35 degrees out or something terrible like that!

53. Smartypants says:

I think that Habs should trade Roman Hamrlik for Derek Morris so just correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think I am.

54. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I would thrive for a Moen/Lappiere/Boyd-Eller-Svatos line.

Young blood.

55. crabvader says:

Tanguay should play true to form with Calgary so I don’t mind that signing. The jury is DEFINITELY still out on Jokinen and that one is a huge head scratcher, but I like the additions of Tim Jackman and Raitis Ivanans.

Sutter is still psycho in my opinion, but I don’t think he’s as bad as Glen Sather, lol.

Sutter was one of those GM’s that desperately needed to do something for his blue line and he didn’t sign any D-men. Bad Sutter! Bad!

56. Smartypants says:

kingofswing74 we the habs fan like this site.

57. crabvader says:

Ok, I want Marek Svatos, I am decided! PG, make it happen! (Under 2mil/per plz)

:D

58. SeriousFan09 says:

Darryl Sutter was quoted as saying the Canucks are the team to beat.

Terrible misquote, I’m pretty sure he meant to say his team is getting ready for a tough struggle this season with the Calgary Hitmen.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.