No June swoon for HIO

New numbers from Google Analytics, passed along by David Klimek, the Gazette’s marketing stats wizard:

Page views in June: 1,618,680

In June, 2009: 1,273,783

Thanks to all you wacky fans, we were up 31 per cent during a month when the Canadiens weren’t playing hockey.

And the mobile version had 78,719 page views.

1. crabvader says:

But the cap is 10mil.

Why wouldn’t he at least try to attain that money if he can? Does he owe anyone anything? No.

I mean, I HATE agents. I think they are a blight to any sport but Kovalchuk is doing what most people with his talent would do, fetch the most money they can.

2. novahab says:

Is there a team that has the room to pay Kovalchuk 10mil a year with out tearing their team apart. I say he would have been signed yesterday if there was so I thinking his price better come down.

3. aemarchand11 says:

I just get the feel that he thinks hes above any team. IMO nobody should make more money than the premier players like Ovi or Sid. I know they have support staff but they’re the ones making all this new revenue for the league.

He’s arguably the BEST pure sniper in the league, just wish he would know his place and take an 8M dollar/yr contract so teams can afford to get him the support he needs to win.

4. JSP1990 says:

I know what ya mean about the baseball players, but let those idiots get those contracts. $10 million in the NHL is ALOT of money. Well it’s alot of money anywhere, but especially in the NHL salary cap era. It’s insane for him to think he can make more money then Crosby or Ovechkin.

5. SeriousFan09 says:

Why should he throw his NHL career away in Atlanta? It’s a dead-end team with no money that isn’t going anywhere. I don’t see why he owes that club the rest of his life. I hope Jarome Iginla jumps ship when his contract runs out in CGY so he can go play for a Cup Team while I’m speaking on the subject.

Teams that are too weak to survive or are self-destructive but too well-financed to die don’t deserve eternal loyalty while the clock runs out on the careers of guys who often have to quit the game before they’re even 40.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

6. Curtoph says:

Yeah, but from 6.4 million a year, to 10 million a year? For what he didn’t up his skill or anything, he’s just still as good as he was. I would think to pay him most 8 million, but who knows.

7. crabvader says:

I dunno why everyone is hollering about a 10mil contract. Have you seen how much baseball players make?!?!!

8. c.robillard says:

So the guy passed on 100 million for 10 years in Atlanta. The guy may not play anywhere at all, all because he didn’t want to stay in Atlanta. I hope no one gives him a contract. I hope he yelps back to the KHL where he has to deal with the mafia.

Good Riddance Kovalchuk.

9. Storm Man says:

Yes it is, Last year it was 127 mil should go up this coming season.

10. crabvader says:

Kovalchuk is a top 5 talent in the world. I mean look at other people’s salaries who haven’t even come close to Kovalchuk’s numbers.

Blame agents, not players.

Kovalchuk is worth that type of money if you compare to a lot of other inflated contracts. Why should Kovalchuk be the guy that says “Let me be the first to take a pay cut to make an example”.

It’s like if I said I would like you to be a desk clerk instead of CEO of your company, would you do it? Of course not.

11. TripleX says:

But the NFL is a cap league isn’t it?

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

12. crabvader says:

More like there’s no offence in Jersey.

13. Robert L says:

Hamrlik has a no movement clause. He can’t be traded, minored, or bought out. He can be asked if he would okay a deal, that’s about it.

14. avatar_58 says:

Agreed but if he keeps up this money-money-money stuff he’s bad for the UFA market and russian players in general.

15. avatar_58 says:

There’s no ‘I’ in team but clearly Kovalchuk thinks so. I bet the flyers were sure afraid.

16. Storm Man says:

Franchise tag is for a player who is going to be a UFA it could be a exclusive and non-exclusive. It gives the team the right to match any offers from other teams, If not the team that makes the offer and the player goes to that team the payment is 2 1st round picks so you dont lose that player for nothing.

17. crabvader says:

Lol, even though Atlanta never got really far, Kovalchuk was pretty much a one-man team. Teams fear the Chuk.

18. punkster says:

Absurd amount of money. Let some dumbass GM pony up that kind of cash and watch his team wallow in the depths of bubbleness for years.

No wait…

FREE TIMO!

19. crabvader says:

In a perfect world, all we and GM’s can do though is go with the flow, lol.

Kovalchuk needs to stay in the NHL. He’s good for the sport of hockey.

——————————————————————

Enjoy!

20. avatar_58 says:

What the hell is wrong with this guy? Just take a regular salary and get over yourself. He’s good but not 1-man team good. Why wouldn’t he take a little less to go on a good team and get himself a cup or two?

21. Mark C says:

Just as an FYI: in the NFL a “franchise player” counts against the cap. It is a means of protecting one player a year from leaving as a free agent. If you franchise a player is salary for the next season is the average of the top 5 players at his position, unless of course he re-signs under an extension.

22. SeriousFan09 says:

Kovalchuk is a brilliant goal scorer, if there wasn’t Ovechkin he would be the best goal scorer in the NHL. However his getting that cash just makes the whole FA market situation even worse by handing out another inflated contract. Too many guys are already earning above what others of the same ability are getting, need some more sanity and balance right now.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

23. Mark C says:

double post

24. habs fan from stonyplain says:

yes you do unless he clears and goes down to the minors and gets called back

25. crabvader says:

But Kovalchuk scores more than 40 goals EVERY SINGLE YEAR HE PLAYS.

Since 2004 he’s scored more than 40 goals every year!

People are just losing interest because he had a bad stint with a terribly defensive team that can barely generate any offense.

Kovalchuk scored a load of goals for a TERRIBLE Atlanta team. That has to mean something.

26. Storm Man says:

That is not what the Franchise tag is about in the NFL.

27. punkster says:

Someone on here will 😉

FREE TIMO!

28. aemarchand11 says:

No way he makes more the Crosby or Ovechkin. IMO he shouldnt make anymore then Rick Nash or Iginla. They put up pretty good numbers without anyone to work with as well.

Enjoy the weather in Russia, thats rediculous! Espicially since he hasnt proven anything, except regular season stats!

29. crabvader says:

Kovalchuk can command that salary here and wear a tutu for all I care.

That guy is crazy good.

30. habs fan from stonyplain says:

someone should drug test mr. sutter, you think we are against the cap there are over the cap with the two slugs they signed

31. Shiloh says:

Do you have to eat the entire 5.4 million if he is picked up on waivers?

32. aemarchand11 says:

Oh dont get me wrong, I would ONLY grab off re-entry for half the salary. Not a chance at the 5.4M, thats worse than Hamrlik’s!

33. TripleX says:

From the Twitter account of James Mirtle:

Before fans get too excited: LA Times: “…Kovalchuk is aiming high – think $10 million a year for 10 to 12 years…”http://bit.ly/9iQSDO

via TweetDeck

No wonder it is taking so long to get a deal!

34. Shiloh says:

I’d like to see Souray back.

35. habs fan from stonyplain says:

yes but he is a 5.4 cap hit and as slow as gill

36. crabvader says:

Nobody on that young Avalance team is a playmaker.

Remember when he played with Sakic? Over 25 goals.

Pleks and him with Cammy would light it up.

37. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I like this roster a lot more than current one, haha. Even though it’s 1 more player added.

38. crabvader says:

The colder, the better!

I hate warm weather, haha!

39. crabvader says:

I was thinking more along the lines of:

A.Kost-Gomaize-Giontuh

Callammari-Turtlenec-Svatos

Poulet-Eller-Boyd

Moen-Lapierre-Darche/White

Markoff-Amerleek

Souppane-Spaceman

Gorgeous-Gillz

——————————————————————

Enjoy!

40. aemarchand11 says:

Souray + Markov = Magic

PK Subban + Spacek = 2 Amazing Powerplay Units.

If Hammer could get moved, I would make the trade. We have enough defensively responsible defencemen now. Gorges, OB, Gill even Spacek.  Unlike before with, Dandy and Breezer.

Only 2 years left, and for 2.7 his 15 goals a year will be greatly appreciated. Not like he has to be a top-4 at that salary. He will be UFA when Subban is up for his contract renewal!

41. Kingofswing74 says:

as do i. i also like reading other people’s opinions, they can be interesting.

42. Curtoph says:

Yeah and he’s much more injury prone than Hammer is, I remember seeing him fight iggy then he ended up breaking his hand in the fight. Not a good idea!

43. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Hamrlik only has 1 year left on his contract.

Instead of taking on a long contract to just give up a veteran, why not wait 1 more year until you have 5.5 M cap space freed up for next season. You can get a Hamhuis-Michalek type of young defenseman with that money.

I would wait a year, let’s be patient.

44. pmaraw says:

i cant imagine a way to correct you for being wrong about what you think lol

45. mike g says:

I’m not high on Svatos…

Appart from his injury issues, you must analyze the fact that he struggled on a very vulnerable Avalanche team this year. No roster spots were guaranteed during the year, and Sacco coached to win with his hardest working players. Those who baught into that style, played big minutes and contributed to a surprising playoff birth. But then you had talented guys like Svatos who just couldn’t cut it on a very young team, and one where he should have had top 4 minutes solidified. He registered 11 points, 4 of those for goals.

Were coached by JM, so I don’t see how he would fit here.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

46. Curtoph says:

Can’t wait till feburary when our Habs take on the Flames in the Herritage Classic game! I was fortunate to be at the first Herritage Classic game in Edmonton!! Habs won the game too, but it was minus 35 degrees out or something terrible like that!

47. Smartypants says:

I think that Habs should trade Roman Hamrlik for Derek Morris so just correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think I am.

48. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I would thrive for a Moen/Lappiere/Boyd-Eller-Svatos line.

Young blood.

49. crabvader says:

Tanguay should play true to form with Calgary so I don’t mind that signing. The jury is DEFINITELY still out on Jokinen and that one is a huge head scratcher, but I like the additions of Tim Jackman and Raitis Ivanans.

Sutter is still psycho in my opinion, but I don’t think he’s as bad as Glen Sather, lol.

Sutter was one of those GM’s that desperately needed to do something for his blue line and he didn’t sign any D-men. Bad Sutter! Bad!

50. Smartypants says:

kingofswing74 we the habs fan like this site.

51. crabvader says:

Ok, I want Marek Svatos, I am decided! PG, make it happen! (Under 2mil/per plz)

😀

52. SeriousFan09 says:

Darryl Sutter was quoted as saying the Canucks are the team to beat.

Terrible misquote, I’m pretty sure he meant to say his team is getting ready for a tough struggle this season with the Calgary Hitmen.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

53. Say Ash says:

If you’re making me pick between Souray and Hammer, then Hammer. Taking back Souray would make us look worse than the Flames.

54. crabvader says:

I agree.

Their agents are probably asking for too much as of right now and they will have to wait to see that no team is interested in them at that price tag for a few days.

It would be foolish to nab up a guy like Eric Belanger at around 3mil/per.

If Belanger’s price tag drops below 2mil/per, I think it would be crazy not to pick him up. Although there are a few players I think would be good for us.

Joe Corvo or Shaone Morrisonn, Ruslan Fedotenko (If the price tag is 1.5 per or under, which I doubt), Aaron Asham (what can I say, I love native grit), Ilya Kovalchuk (just wishin’), Raffi Torres (only if he’s cheap), Robbie Earl (just like what I saw from him when I got to watch him play), Marek Svatos (maybe injury prone, but he can score. He needs a good playmaker a.k.a Tomas Plekanec, good chemistry (both from Czechoslovakia, Marek being from the Slovak side).

I’m kinda high on Svatos being a dark horse if we can get him for under 2mil/per. I think he would bring stability for Plekanec and good chemistry (at the expense of repeating myself). He’s not the biggest listed at 5’10 but he’s got great hands and hasn’t played with skilled players in a long time, more notably any skilled playmakers. He’s a guy who can fetch around 30g a season with good linemates.

55. SeriousFan09 says:

Dynasties died after the 80s I would say. You had the Canadiens and Red Wings splitting the 50s, Canadiens and Leafs went at it in the 60s, Canadiens owned the 70s pretty much, then it was the Oilers and Islanders in the 80s. Following that, I would say the 90s as the league expanded created the mini-dynasties when talent became further diluted by expansion. Penguins in 91-92, than you had the Red Wings, New Jersey and Colorado, all 3 of those teams became constant contenders but the Avs would end up with 2, Devils with 3 and Red Wings with 3, than the lockout hit and only the Red Wings managed to handle their talent well enough to make it back to the show following it, 1 win and 1 loss in the Finals.

I think the NHL needs to allow teams more leeway in signing their own players like a 10 M cushion like you suggest. With the 30-team Free agency situation, it’s too easy for teams to become trapped in earlier deals and have no money left to sign a prime talent that keeps the team going but can’t compensate him like he would earn in FA.

It is ridiculous what CHI just had to do, Stan Bowman has given up on a repeat and is stocking the shelves so the Blackhawks can go for the Cup in 3 years or so by acquiring as many picks and prospects as he can.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

56. Smartypants says:

I agree with signing Souray in a heartbeat, but I would then ethier put Hamrlik on waivers, put him with Hamilton Bulldogs, or sit him on the bench til some D is injured and can’t play.

57. TripleX says:

The NFL I believe allows each team one “franchise player” who I think does not apply to the cap.

Perhaps can use that formula to allow teams to keep at least ONE player.  The NHL is becoming too much like the MLB with players changing teams every few years.  Fans become attached to players and it is a negative to have so much movement.

Personally I would have a cap on the minimum a team can spend and let the teams spend as much as they can.  Reward the successful teams as logic dictates.  Maybe the only way the Cup will ever come home.

58. Say Ash says:

Correction: NOBODY likes that place.

59. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Eklund reporting that he’s hearing about a possible trade that would follow a Kovalchuk signing involving an Eastern team and the Kings.

I know it’s Eklund, but he’s been somewhat accurate the past 2 days (which is an accomplishment for him). He’s on a run!

EDIT:

“Kovalchuk and Kings Closing In on Deal”

60. The Cat says:

Since traffic keeps increasing, lets hope that translate to some tickets giveaways 🙂

61. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Keep Hamrlik. We need defensive dmen not offensive dmen especially Souray, who’s prone to injuries.

62. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Blues opt out of Kovalchuk race.

ESPN says in the end it’s going to be either NJ (not gonna happen) or LA.

Maybe NYI, but FA’s don’t like that place.

So really, it’s either LA or KHL.

63. crabvader says:

Problem with Souray is that he isn’t really good defensively. Hamr just had his first minus season in a LONG time last year and he was bouncing back after a bad start to the playoffs.

Also, Souray still has 2 years on his contract as opposed to Hamr, who is on his last.

Hamrlik for me.

64. mike g says:

I think it’s because those guys that are left aren’t really the players that will take you over the top…

Appart from Kovalchuk, your talking about 50 point players. I’m not saying they’re useless, but the names still available are not known to be big difference makers.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

65. nickster13 says:

Souray is on waivers (as mentioned by others too dont worry), so if he is on re-entry waivers, would you take him? I would in a heartbeat, would you rather him or Hamrlik? So if a hamrlik trade is possible, you pick up Souray i say at half the salary

66. SeriousFan09 says:

Chris Higgins close to signing a deal in FLA, 1.6 million for 1 year.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

67. crabvader says:

I’m guessing free agency is going much slower today due to the fact that the players who are left are probably asking for too much what with all the ridiculous contracts yesterday.

I’m guessing bits and pieces will be signed by next week.

68. crabvader says:

Lol, your sig sets you up perfectly to counter one of your arguments by saying “Never go full retard.”

Hahaha

69. jimmy shaker says:

So what is the cap situation as of now and how much do we have left for Price and a couple other spots?

Shaker

Yes! we are all waving goodbye!

71. mike g says:

I don’t see anyone taking him, unless he’s on re-entry, and even then…

It’s too bad he’s a one-dimensional player. MAB can be signed at less than 1 mill and have the same effect as Sourray.

That said, he still has a rocket like this guy:     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7S3S8SHLc8&feature=related

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

72. krob1000 says:

Souray on waivers

73. Bugs says:

I notice a massive discrepancy between amounts in month of May. What’s THAT all abo…

Oh, yeeaah…

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

74. mike g says:

The word “dynasty” has officially been taken out of the NHL’s vocabulary…

No longer will we see teams repeat championships in this league. Winning the Cup once is hard enough, and to do it twice in a row is extreamly difficult. But, teams were able to do it for the past 100 years. Now, all we can do is remember how great those teams/franchises actually were. To elaborate, a dynasty IMO is a team that wins minimum 4 championships in a row. Mini dynasties are those who win 3 in a row. I won’t even hesitate to say that no franchise will win 3 Cups in a row for at least another 20 years. There are so many reasons why; 30 teams, the salary cap, free agency, etc…

Out of all those reasons, the salary cap is the #1 reason why teams won’t do it. We see this offseason how the Hawks went from the best team on the planet, to a good team. They’ve gotten rid of so many key parts of that team, simply because of the cap. We all thaught Anaheim would be the next dynasty, largely on the shoulders of Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Pronger, Niedermayer, etc…That didn’t work out, once again because of cap issues. The Pittsburgh Penguins, a team with more holes on the wing than swiss cheese, were called “the closest thing to the Oilers of the 80’s” when they made 2 Cup Finals apperances in a row.

That statement alone can describe just how desperate this league is for another dynasty. I’m not old enough to remember those Oilers, because I was born in ’88. But I’ll tell you one thing; if making the Cup Finals 2 years in a row is all that is needed to award you the title of a dynasty, the measurement of standards of success in the NHL have dropped lower than the last place Oilers of 2009-2010.

I can go on all day naming teams that should have/could have been potential dynasties. All of them however were braught down by the salary cap. While most will argue the cap is good because it allows all teams a fair chance to win and compete for marquee talent, in the end it just sticks the finger to the most successful teams.

So I ask you this today: Should the NHL remove the salary cap completely, or allow all teams something like an extra 10 million dollars per year to re-sign their own players? That extra available 10 mill would not count against the cap, it’s purpose would be to allow teams like MTL this year to re-sign Pleks at 5 mill without it affecting their overall cap. It rewards/encourages teams to grow and devellop/draft their own players and keep them for as long as possible.

Your take?