No June swoon for HIO

New numbers from Google Analytics, passed along by David Klimek, the Gazette’s marketing stats wizard:

Page views in June: 1,618,680

In June, 2009: 1,273,783

Thanks to all you wacky fans, we were up 31 per cent during a month when the Canadiens weren’t playing hockey.

And the mobile version had 78,719 page views.

1. Say Ash says:

If you’re making me pick between Souray and Hammer, then Hammer. Taking back Souray would make us look worse than the Flames.

2. crabvader says:

I agree.

Their agents are probably asking for too much as of right now and they will have to wait to see that no team is interested in them at that price tag for a few days.

It would be foolish to nab up a guy like Eric Belanger at around 3mil/per.

If Belanger’s price tag drops below 2mil/per, I think it would be crazy not to pick him up. Although there are a few players I think would be good for us.

Joe Corvo or Shaone Morrisonn, Ruslan Fedotenko (If the price tag is 1.5 per or under, which I doubt), Aaron Asham (what can I say, I love native grit), Ilya Kovalchuk (just wishin’), Raffi Torres (only if he’s cheap), Robbie Earl (just like what I saw from him when I got to watch him play), Marek Svatos (maybe injury prone, but he can score. He needs a good playmaker a.k.a Tomas Plekanec, good chemistry (both from Czechoslovakia, Marek being from the Slovak side).

I’m kinda high on Svatos being a dark horse if we can get him for under 2mil/per. I think he would bring stability for Plekanec and good chemistry (at the expense of repeating myself). He’s not the biggest listed at 5’10 but he’s got great hands and hasn’t played with skilled players in a long time, more notably any skilled playmakers. He’s a guy who can fetch around 30g a season with good linemates.

3. SeriousFan09 says:

Dynasties died after the 80s I would say. You had the Canadiens and Red Wings splitting the 50s, Canadiens and Leafs went at it in the 60s, Canadiens owned the 70s pretty much, then it was the Oilers and Islanders in the 80s. Following that, I would say the 90s as the league expanded created the mini-dynasties when talent became further diluted by expansion. Penguins in 91-92, than you had the Red Wings, New Jersey and Colorado, all 3 of those teams became constant contenders but the Avs would end up with 2, Devils with 3 and Red Wings with 3, than the lockout hit and only the Red Wings managed to handle their talent well enough to make it back to the show following it, 1 win and 1 loss in the Finals.

I think the NHL needs to allow teams more leeway in signing their own players like a 10 M cushion like you suggest. With the 30-team Free agency situation, it’s too easy for teams to become trapped in earlier deals and have no money left to sign a prime talent that keeps the team going but can’t compensate him like he would earn in FA.

It is ridiculous what CHI just had to do, Stan Bowman has given up on a repeat and is stocking the shelves so the Blackhawks can go for the Cup in 3 years or so by acquiring as many picks and prospects as he can.

4. Smartypants says:

I agree with signing Souray in a heartbeat, but I would then ethier put Hamrlik on waivers, put him with Hamilton Bulldogs, or sit him on the bench til some D is injured and can’t play.

5. TripleX says:

The NFL I believe allows each team one “franchise player” who I think does not apply to the cap.

Perhaps can use that formula to allow teams to keep at least ONE player.  The NHL is becoming too much like the MLB with players changing teams every few years.  Fans become attached to players and it is a negative to have so much movement.

Personally I would have a cap on the minimum a team can spend and let the teams spend as much as they can.  Reward the successful teams as logic dictates.  Maybe the only way the Cup will ever come home.

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

6. Say Ash says:

Correction: NOBODY likes that place.

7. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Eklund reporting that he’s hearing about a possible trade that would follow a Kovalchuk signing involving an Eastern team and the Kings.

I know it’s Eklund, but he’s been somewhat accurate the past 2 days (which is an accomplishment for him). He’s on a run!

EDIT:

“Kovalchuk and Kings Closing In on Deal”

8. The Cat says:

Since traffic keeps increasing, lets hope that translate to some tickets giveaways :)

9. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Keep Hamrlik. We need defensive dmen not offensive dmen especially Souray, who’s prone to injuries.

10. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Blues opt out of Kovalchuk race.

ESPN says in the end it’s going to be either NJ (not gonna happen) or LA.

Maybe NYI, but FA’s don’t like that place.

So really, it’s either LA or KHL.

11. crabvader says:

Problem with Souray is that he isn’t really good defensively. Hamr just had his first minus season in a LONG time last year and he was bouncing back after a bad start to the playoffs.

Also, Souray still has 2 years on his contract as opposed to Hamr, who is on his last.

Hamrlik for me.

12. mike g says:

I think it’s because those guys that are left aren’t really the players that will take you over the top…

Appart from Kovalchuk, your talking about 50 point players. I’m not saying they’re useless, but the names still available are not known to be big difference makers.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

13. nickster13 says:

Souray is on waivers (as mentioned by others too dont worry), so if he is on re-entry waivers, would you take him? I would in a heartbeat, would you rather him or Hamrlik? So if a hamrlik trade is possible, you pick up Souray i say at half the salary

14. habstrinifan says:

I say it is.. and here’s why!

1)PK Subban .. you will see defensive errors but you will also see more break out plays, more sustained forecheck,more grit, more speed from defense. More optimism. Georges WILL be a star this season with this more offensive defence. He will take the challenge of being the leader and calming influence. Hope Martin allows him.

2) Lars Eller and Dustin Boyd will make the team and will be better ( more consistent and more intense) than SK/AK/. AK wil either be traded or be much improved and more consistent or will sit out lots of games. Ditto Lappierre. Lars/Eller are upgrades to Moore and Metropolit and will replace AK/Laps on any line combination if those two players play as inconsistently as last season.I also believe that Schultz(?? halak deal) or Ryan White will make the team and make it better.

3)I think we will see least two Bulldogs (besides Subban) start with the team. Remember we started with Agostini and Chipchura . I think we will slot better (more ready) people into the line up from Bulldogs. I think Pouliot will be a better contributor than Gui was here. Now Gui may continue to impress with the Wild but I think Pouliot will give us better numbers/game than Gui did HERE.

4)Price will be a competent and confident AND more grounded goalie. He will win his share of games. I dont think he will be superstar great. Nor do I think Halak would have been superstar great as he was in playoffs, but I think Price will not STINK up the joint.

5)Overall team chemistry wil be further along at season’s start than it was last season. One year under ‘new guys’ belts and positive residue from palyoff run.

Only concern and it is a big one. Martin!!!! He must realize that he cannot play an unimaginative and defensive only system suited only to the immobile Gill and he MUST also respond positively to the young players. He will have many. Coaching and player management WILL make the Canadiens season this year. We will have NO superstar who can rise above system and team. So it’s up tp Martin to let the payers play while instilling team responsibilities. Doesnt come naturally to JM.

If Martin is as rigid as he seemed to have been last season, we will have a crop of sullen confused demoralised youngsters  by mid season. He cannot bury players in his doghouse as he did last season. We will be able to tell very quickly into the season if Martin is the ‘right’ coach for this team. And dont harp here re the playoff success. Remeber the doldrums the team went into when it almost missed the playoffs. I still remember the agony of that futile stretch of games. If he cannot inspire the team better than he did during that period, then the season is lost.

One good barometer. How we rise to the intensity challenge when we play our Canadian foes.. Ottawa/Leafs. We didnt last season. We have players who should do that better upcoming season.

15. SeriousFan09 says:

Chris Higgins close to signing a deal in FLA, 1.6 million for 1 year.

16. crabvader says:

I’m guessing free agency is going much slower today due to the fact that the players who are left are probably asking for too much what with all the ridiculous contracts yesterday.

I’m guessing bits and pieces will be signed by next week.

17. crabvader says:

Lol, your sig sets you up perfectly to counter one of your arguments by saying “Never go full retard.”

Hahaha

18. jimmy shaker says:

So what is the cap situation as of now and how much do we have left for Price and a couple other spots?

Shaker

Yes! we are all waving goodbye!

20. mike g says:

I don’t see anyone taking him, unless he’s on re-entry, and even then…

It’s too bad he’s a one-dimensional player. MAB can be signed at less than 1 mill and have the same effect as Sourray.

That said, he still has a rocket like this guy:     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7S3S8SHLc8&feature=related

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

21. krob1000 says:

Souray on waivers

22. Bugs says:

I notice a massive discrepancy between amounts in month of May. What’s THAT all abo…

Oh, yeeaah…

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

23. pic1983 says:

Whats the difference? How about the fact that baseball generates FAR more revenue than hockey….

Love or hate baseball (and i HATE baseball and totally agree that those panzies shouldnt be making anywhere near the money they make), its a far more popular sport than hockey worldwide.

With stats like these I think you’re right:

Player: Tony242
    Position: HIO Troll
    Born February 31 1995 — Trollburgh, PA
    Height 5.02 — Weight 110 — Shoots Left side of the Mouth

Season: 2009-10
    Team: HIO Trolls
    League: Internet Hockey Blogs
    Games Played: 1,000,000
    Goals: disrupting HIO readers
    Assists: demigod, Manapart
    Points: the same point made over and over and over again
    PIM: if awarded by HIO readers a lifetime banishment to the penalty box

25. Ground Chuck says:

It’s like playing street hockey with a whiffle ball.

26. pic1983 says:

Yeah but the two guys they have making over 8 million are FAR more valuable.  They can make the players around them better, kovalchuk not as much.  Dont get me wrong, I love kovalchuk, but I think he needs to reduce his expectations, and he should sign a deal similar to what hossa signed (long-term, front-loaded contract with a lower cap hit, that the player will retire before finishing anyway).  At least he would be giving the team he signs with more flexibility and give himself a better chance to win, while still getting his huge bucks.  The kings have a lot of young talent right now with cheap cap hits, but if they sign kovalchuk to $10 million/yr contract today, what are they going to do when drew doughty is in a position to command $6million/yr (and he will be sooner rather than later)?

27. BKAK72 says:

The ball dances around as much as the players dive.

– I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! –

28. Ground Chuck says:

He’s cap-friendly, too.

29. Storm Man says:

Why are you in nets this year?

30. Dintrox says:

Sanford was re – signed as well . he  has had decent tours as a back up.

December 4, 2009 – Elmer Lach’s jersey took its rightful place with the Rocket’s in the rafters.

31. pic1983 says:

Dave Hodge always looks bitter these days, its time for him to hang em up.

32. pic1983 says:

Dude, if we can avoid losing as many games to injury as we did last season, the team is already better.

People forget that outside of the washington series, our roster was never fully healthy all season last year.

33. pic1983 says:

the bruins didnt really make a trade per say… They got exactly what they would have gotten had brian burke signed Kessel to an offer sheet which the bruins didnt match.

34. punkster says:

You forget. Cedric the Entertainer. Our saviour resides in Steeltown.

FREE TIMO!

35. kempie says:

I did notice that and it’s exactly why Olli got my vote.Thing is, out here, people really don’t seem to grasp just how badly messed up the situation is. Typical for this city in general.

36. likehoy says:

that’s what makes soccer a beautiful sport…those swerves are hell for the keeper, but for the shooter and the attacking players watching, there’s nothing more beautiful to see that ball swerve away from the keeper.

37. Puck Bard says:

Interesting… See how he does this season.

38. JIMVINNY says:

And here I thought you’d become more positive all of a sudden.  A temporary insanity, I see. :)

39. likehoy says:

that’s awfully bipolar! but i fully agree…but i hate being a mediocre regular season team, and then getting the 27th overall pick…stupid NHL system

40. c.robillard says:

The team is in promising shape. There’s a definite plan to get younger, and a lot of guys are on pretty awesome “show-us-what-you-got” one-year contracts.  I think we’re in a good position to start improving as a team because we’re done looking for our identity. We know who we are. We’re the Canadiens.

41. mike g says:

The word “dynasty” has officially been taken out of the NHL’s vocabulary…

No longer will we see teams repeat championships in this league. Winning the Cup once is hard enough, and to do it twice in a row is extreamly difficult. But, teams were able to do it for the past 100 years. Now, all we can do is remember how great those teams/franchises actually were. To elaborate, a dynasty IMO is a team that wins minimum 4 championships in a row. Mini dynasties are those who win 3 in a row. I won’t even hesitate to say that no franchise will win 3 Cups in a row for at least another 20 years. There are so many reasons why; 30 teams, the salary cap, free agency, etc…

Out of all those reasons, the salary cap is the #1 reason why teams won’t do it. We see this offseason how the Hawks went from the best team on the planet, to a good team. They’ve gotten rid of so many key parts of that team, simply because of the cap. We all thaught Anaheim would be the next dynasty, largely on the shoulders of Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Pronger, Niedermayer, etc…That didn’t work out, once again because of cap issues. The Pittsburgh Penguins, a team with more holes on the wing than swiss cheese, were called “the closest thing to the Oilers of the 80′s” when they made 2 Cup Finals apperances in a row.

That statement alone can describe just how desperate this league is for another dynasty. I’m not old enough to remember those Oilers, because I was born in ’88. But I’ll tell you one thing; if making the Cup Finals 2 years in a row is all that is needed to award you the title of a dynasty, the measurement of standards of success in the NHL have dropped lower than the last place Oilers of 2009-2010.

I can go on all day naming teams that should have/could have been potential dynasties. All of them however were braught down by the salary cap. While most will argue the cap is good because it allows all teams a fair chance to win and compete for marquee talent, in the end it just sticks the finger to the most successful teams.

So I ask you this today: Should the NHL remove the salary cap completely, or allow all teams something like an extra 10 million dollars per year to re-sign their own players? That extra available 10 mill would not count against the cap, it’s purpose would be to allow teams like MTL this year to re-sign Pleks at 5 mill without it affecting their overall cap. It rewards/encourages teams to grow and devellop/draft their own players and keep them for as long as possible.

Your take?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

42. JIMVINNY says:

Man am I happy that hockey pucks don’t do what that soccer ball just did.  It must have moved 10 feet from left to right after it left that Ghanan’s foot.

43. SeriousFan09 says:

Note how they didn’t say if it would be a positive impact.

44. likehoy says:

looks like we have to tank…or make an incredible sam pollock-esque trade to steal the 1st overall pick….much like the bruins did.

45. SeriousFan09 says:

If the team has more than 2 Top 6 forwards play 70+ games, I’d bet they’ll do pretty well in the 10-11 season.

46. Natrous says:

Current TSN Poll:

“Who will make a bigger impact with the Calgary Flames?”

- Olli Jokinen
    - Alex Tanguay
    - Neither (omitted)

All PG’s moves seem to indicate draft lottery 2011. ;-)

48. likehoy says:

i think we are better cause the mandatory 82 game gelling period is over.

i think we’re better cause the core of the team is more familiar with each other…and we have more depth than last year (pacioretty, eller, boyd) and we don’t have SK as a distraction, nor BGL.

we weren’t a bad team last year and we suffered a lot of injuries. I think the balance of our season weighs down on if we can stay injury free.

49. SeriousFan09 says:

At his 2nd-year output and the expected drop in quality of the 2011 draft class, I think he’ll play himself into the Top 10 of the draft. I like his size and stats, but I think he’s out of reach unless PG makes a move up in the draft.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

To quote Tony the Troll, Manapart and demigod, the Habs with the 2 dummies pg and bg had a 47 win % and 88 points finishing 19th over-all and traded their MVP Halak.

Now I will qoute Habsrule1, PrimeTime and JIMVINNY, the Habs missed the playoffs 4 out 5 years before BG took over and have made them 6 of 7 since he’s been here. The team has CP in nets who’s more mature, PK and a healthy Markov and the team has had a year to gel and the system is working since the players came together during the playoffs.

Now to quote HH, we’re in good shape. We look like a team reaching for the heights, either winning the division or the draft lottery, anything else in between is unacceptabel!!!

51. JIMVINNY says:

Because of the injuries suffered last season, it’s an easy statement to make.  We started the season without Markov last year, so we’re no worse off this year, but have PK to pick up his slack.  Our top 6 have a year together under their belts, and so will be better right off the start.  Price was the starter at the beginning of the season, so that’s no different either.  We’ve got a new GM who is far less conservative in his day to day dealings than was Gainey, and the team has a much better sense of the coaches game plan.

I don’t think it’s difficult at all to say that this team is better today than it was at this time last year.

52. Storm Man says:

I think it can, The team came together in the end and had a great run in the playoffs, And before you bring up the H word. Edmonton traded 99 in 88 after they won the cup and won it in 90 with out 99. This was a new team last year, lets see what happens on the ice and not what we see on paper.

53. Curtoph says:

Besides the goaltending situation, which i will not address, we upgraded our 3rd and 4th liners with younger assets which could be a good thing in terms of lasting longer in the playoffs, sure one could argue the experience level these young additions are lacking, however if they turn out well, we have certainly upgraded that end of our team.

54. likehoy says:

what’s his projected ranking? and our projected ranking?

55. Puck Bard says:

That’s a good point. We’re assuming PK’s ready because he had a respectable playoff run. But he’s still young… over 80 games? Not so sure.

I’ve said before, this team is thin, everything needs to be clicking for them to work. One injury and they can find themselves struggling. They will be fighting for 8th place all season unless they get some consistent offensive production from 4-5 guys (meaning 2 – 3 need breakout years: not likely)

I think the Habs should pick Sean Couturier in 2011.

57. SeriousFan09 says:

Could be something there, Kovalchuk puts bums in the seats (Even in NJ) and if they want to make a splash and get their fans back to going to the games it would be a sharp move especially after their surprising run last season when they were supposed to sit in the bottom 5 again. They need to build on that and a 40, 50 goal winger would certainly give them an offensive boost.

58. Storm Man says:

Habs have a 6 mil dollar man 5.5mil hammer and two making 5 mil.

59. TripleX says:

Putting aside the pro Halak, pro Price, pro Gainey & PG and anti Gainey & PG.

Who can honestly say the team as constructed on July 2, 2010 is BETTER than the team that ended the season?

I look at the team and can’t say that even with a full season of PK Suban.

Both Timo and Tony came up through the HIO system. We’ll probably lose Tony for less than we got for Timo.

61. likehoy says:

kovalchuk would be a great fit in colorado…duchene and stastny are going to be one of the best 1-2 punches down the middle for a long time…add a winger and they’ll be great…considering hejduk is getting up there in age.

62. SeriousFan09 says:

Their prospect chart, Calvin De Haan, Travis Hamhonic and Andrew Macdonald. Three of their top 5 prospects are defencemen.

63. avatar_58 says:

You expect a team that can offord 10 mil per for ONE forward to have offence? He’d have to be the entire line, scoring every game.

64. TripleX says:

MLB and NFL and to a lesser degree the NBA all have multi billion dollar TV contracts which are divided among all the teams.

I have heard that the NFL contract is so huge that a team could have ZERO attendance and still make a profit.

The NHL has no such money stream and relies almost solely on gate receipts.

HUGE DIFFERENCE!

65. SeriousFan09 says:

Looking for bargains, their attendance was pretty bad last season so I doubt they’ve been freed up to spend the cap. Waiting for the UFAs to become a little more receptive to less money.

66. Tis Himself says:

Tony made Timo expendable!

67. likehoy says:

what’s colorado doing these days with their 30m in cap space?

68. novahab says:

I think someone better do an audit on the Pittsburgh books because I think they are cooked. Crosby, Malkin, Flury, Staal and now these two 5 mil d-men , Is Bettman keeping the books for Pittsburg, the Habs have one 7.2 mill guy and we have no rioom under the cap. I think Pittsburg is passing money under the table .

69. aemarchand11 says:

Depends if I was already rich. Right now? Hell yes, i got bills to pay! lol

70. crabvader says:

Islanders are trying to solidify their blue line, they signed Milan Jurcina and Mark Eaton.

Good bottom pairing defencemen… Now where are their top guys?

71. Puck Bard says:

Know this has undoubtedly been posted, but don’t mind singing again…

Boone you know at least 400,000 of these were from Tony.

72. STZA says:

The livin’s easy in the summertime.

73. mike g says:

If any are interested, here’s a link to some jersey/logo changes some NHL teams will adopt next year….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

74. mike g says:

Bobby Ryan rejected a 5 year, 25 mill$ contract……WOW.

and the Jackets are apparently shopping Nikita Filatov.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

75. likehoy says:

filatov could be interesting…what kind of assets do we have to deal!? next year’s 1st?

76. TripleX says:

Apparently the little brat wants 5.25 on a multi year deal.  So he is crying over 250,000 a year?

Will it make that much difference in his lifestyle?  I have a feeling his long term career prospects have take a sudden downturn.

RFA’s should not quibble over such insignificant details.  I HOPE we are not going to get a similar stance from Price.

77. Propwash says:

Hopefully the mobile site will include comment reading/writing ability.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

78. yathehabsrule says:

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

79. Max_a_million says:

We have been to the playoffs the past 3 years straight.  We have had the best regular season record, and made it to the Eastern Conference Finals once.  We have won three playoff series in the past 3 years.

How does that stack up with the rest of the Eastern Conference?

The list is team name, number of times in playoffs the last 3 years, number of series won, and the number of times with the best regular season record.

• PIT: 3-8
    • BUF: 1-0
    • ATL: 0-0
    • TAM: 0-0
    • NYI: 0-0
    • FLA: 0-0
    • TOR: 0-0

5 teams haven’t made the playoffs including toronto, 8 teams haven’t won a series including New Jersey, and only TWO teams have won more series than we have Philly and Pittsburgh.  We are one of the teams to have the best regular season record during this time.

Really it hasn’t been bad at all, actually kind of the third best eastern team in that run.  Why the heck are people always on here talking about tanking.  I know it’s not Guy Lafleur’s Flying Frenchmen or the Rocket in his heyday, but come on people have a little sense and stopped acting so spoiled.  We all want to win yes, and the Candiens are supposed to be the all time best team in hockey yes, but it really has been quite exciting having the best record and making the conference finals.  It has been pretty darn good. Shut up with the tanking business in July!  Have some pride in your team, and what they are accomplishing you negative nancies.

80. Robert L says:

Kudos for this, Max!

81. matmacat says:

Thanks, those are cool stats. It’s kind of what I am asking in my post above. We’ve had a decent team. Meaning, we could have been doing much worse.

82. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Great post, Mark – that’s a good evidence to prove your point! Great stats!

83. mike g says:

Good stuff buddy…

Nice post, and what you’re trying to prove is exactly why some of us with a head on our shoulders aren’t going nuts about every single decision regarding the Habs. They’ve been managed properly over the past 3 years, even though their rosters been shaken up drastically..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

84. avatar_58 says:

A F’n men and I want this saved for future reference.

85. JIMVINNY says:

Good post.  It’s nowhere near as gloomy as some think.

86. Bill H says:

Great post Max.  Individual players drafted, traded, brought in through
    free agency etc can always be debated and criticized.  People forget to
    take a step back and look at the overall picture.  Clearly Canadiens
    management have made some mistakes.  So has every other GM and coach in
    the league.  People around here feel entightled to a Stanley Cup.  News
    flash: its not the ’70s anymore.  It takes time to build a winner.  The
    amount of criticizm Gainey, Gauthier, Carbo and Martin get around here,
    you’d think we were in that bottom 5 of your list.

87. punkster says:

Good job man. I’m sure at some point someone will take a run at this post with excuses, “yea but”s and “you’re nothing but a Pricebot” idiocy. That’s the nature of this place. In the meantime I would like to commend you on your level headed approach.

FREE TIMO!

88. likehoy says:

souray on waivers

89. TripleX says:

I wonder if he has anything left in the tank?  He still has that cannon of a shot and we have no replacement for MAB.

Does that mean any team that picks him up only pays half his salary?  Does that apply to his 4.5 million cap hit as well?

90. smiler2729 says:

If it came down to Hamrlik or Souray, who’d you rather have?

91. notbigbird says:

So, now we can afford to upgrade the comment software?

92. sholi2000.com says:

I’m just going to add my own symbols.

-1 means disagree, then any comment by other members just add on to the minus.

You get a

+ 1

for good comment

They Call Me Shane

93. Mike Boone says:

Not after the bonus payouts to me, Stubbs and Hickey.

94. mike g says:

I don’t think we have a nice enough package filled with youth to give them.

Apparenlty VAN is offering Bieksa +, so…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

95. likehoy says:

filatov is an unproven headcase talent.

see: sergei kostitsyn

usually these type of players won’t get more than a draft pick + prospect…

but kevin bieksa would help the BJs a lot and i would even consider it a bit of an overpayment for filatov…but the deal would help both teams.

i still think we should work out a way to steal it! webber + 1st!

96. Puck Bard says:

Second day of Free Agency and the Big News is Higgins to Florida:

Wow… just wow.

97. likehoy says:

have to wait for him to come back up on re-entry waivers…but i wouldn’t go back to that boat.

souray is known to be someone who blames other people”as part of his leadership”

We replaced MAB with, see you later alligator! Thanks for coming out.! PK is now in town.

99. mike g says:

With the recent 1 year deal signing of Chris Higgins in Florida for 1.6 mill, I have to say this…

Anyone else notice how the former Habs players have absolutely no impact on their current clubs. All the players we “loved, had great upside, and would be future captains”, are pretty much all spare parts on their teams:

Higgins, just signed a contract that screams DESPERATE.

Komisarek, busted up goods who’s now in Phaneuf’s shadow.

Souray, placed on waivers because he’s overpaid and unwanted on a team that can actually afford him.

Kovalev, had a season of 40 pts. Enough said.

Ryder, paid 4 mill to be a 3rd liner and an expensive spare part in Boston.

Tanguay, had less than 40 points last year and just returned to the dumbest team in the league for peanuts.

Ribeiro, on the block apparently because he’s out-lived his tenure in Texas.

Huet, he’s just 6.25 million problems.

The only guys who’ve left and had decent impacts on their team without causing trouble have been Koivu and Streit. They’ve both been worth the money an term they were given so far. I didn’t count Guillaume Poutine in the post, because he hasn’t played long enough with a new team. Maybe the boys upstairs knew something we didn’t, and went out shopping last year for players they knew would have an impact for another 5 years instead of keeping those bums?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

100. Dintrox says:

Add Souray to your list he was waived today by the Oilers.

101. Max_a_million says:

There were some dark days of no playoffs and no talent here for sure.

Was koivu good for anaheim last year?

102. BKAK72 says:

The media + fan passion here in Montreal creates a “great” player out of an ordinary talent.  An honest assessment of even this current roster would suggest one (true) all-star in Markov and a lot of solid 2nd liners that are turned into “all-stars” by the media/fans e.g. GOMEZ, GIO, CAMMI, PRICE.

Don’t get me wrong, these guys (like KOIVU) are fantastic 2nd line players.  The problem in a cap-world is that when you pay them like 1st line players there ain’t much room to correct after the fact.

– I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! –

Mike you are spot on. We have great hockey men in management now, unlike 5 years ago and more. It is a very slow process, one team player and piece at a time.

Get rid of the fringe players that play for the name on their backs, their agents greed and keep the players that understand what it is to play for your mates. We are getting there with solid moves and development.

104. sholi2000.com says:

There’s something seriously wrong with that guy.

1.  He’s married and hates his life.

2.  He’s a Nordiques fan turned Canadiens.

3.  No personalty, does not understand how to communicate on internet forums

I truly believe it’s all of the above.  How can one man come on the internet and complain, whine, and down right hate players he doesn’t even know?

I feel sorry for him now, it must suck in life never being able to see the bright side of things.

They Call Me Shane

105. smiler2729 says:

Sounds like he’s really Tony Marinaro. A never satisfied know-it-all Habs putz.

106. sholi2000.com says:

That would explain everything :)

They Call Me Shane

107. adam76 says:

How sad is it, that you need to tear down another poster.  Tony is upset with the direction of the franchise (like many others).  while he may not be the best communicator – me thinks that English is not his “first” language.

Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one.  Tony has as much right to post here as you.  If he upsets you, its easy to skip over his posts.

108. Propwash says:

Everyone expects the Habs to be stocked with superstars………aint gonna happen these days. It’s not management’s fault, its a question of $$$ and salary caps.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

109. Bugs says:

No, Sholly. He’a a leafer PRETENDING to be those things. This is not a lame swipe at him. No. He’s an actual leafer.

You’ll notice it too because he can’t help comparing whatever we do to the genious of the Burke plan in Toranna and how the leafers are gonne be so much better than the Habs this year. He can’t help it.

It’s a leafer troll on the loose. Playing the part of one of us.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

110. Robert L says:

Posting here is a privelege, not a right. It has to be done with a modicum of respect towards others. His grip of the language seems good enough while thrashing commenters. All said, when you dish it ignorantly out in a forum you can expect to get it back in spades, and that’s what is happening. It’s one thing to be upset at Habs’ direction, it’s a whole other to divide with offensive remarks and moronic comments.

111. aemarchand11 says:

Don’t defend him, he has warn out his welcome with excessive ranting.

You cannot skip over a post when people are trying to have logical and positive debates about the situation and then have responses to every post by Tony whom feels that he must point out that “Our GMS” are the worst, yadiyada.

If Tony wants respect from people, he must earn it. But instead he decides to aggravate everyone on this board unless they express negative feelings towards the team.

——-

112. crabvader says:

You’re just defending him cause you can’t get over the fact that Halak is gone, just like Tony.

You also have common ground with him by continuously bashing Price. You are both pretty damn annoying… Although Tony takes annoying-ness to the next level.

——————————————————————

Enjoy!

113. aemarchand11 says:

Among the Majority, and what about you?

114. crabvader says:

Lol, demi, you’re pretty much in the same boat as Tony.

It’s so sad that I am crying crocodile tears. Tony is obtuse. If you look up troll in the dictionary you’ll find one of his posts as the definition. He has nothing to add to the debate. His posts are the same monotonous droning over and over again. He’ll say something like no way Boyd signs here and then when Boyd sings he’ll complain about that.

Tony242 = troll. The problem with HIO is that people don’t read the “Don’t feed the troll” signs. Your’s truly included.

If I was a mod I’d have axed his account long 7 weeks ago. But HIO wont because for all his obtuseness he’s actually generating more traffic. I think Tony242 is actually Boone.

This coming from the other little girl who’s hearts been broken by the
    Halak trade. Man up!!

117. smiler2729 says:

+2, to make up for the Demigod’s -1

118. likehoy says:

well remember when ryan smyth was dealt over a mere 250k?

119. SeriousFan09 says:

The issue from what I understand has been term, Ryan wants a 3-year deal, the Ducks want him for a 5-year term. I would imagine his agent is advising him to set his deal so he hits UFA as quickly as possible for a bigger deal later, while the Ducks would like to retain him longer at a lower cost.

120. TripleX says:

I remember that one yeah.  All the crocodile tears then it turns out it was over nothing.

But I can’t remember who was playing hardball Smyth or the Oilers.

121. showey47 says:

exactly.

122. Habhopeful says:

That “Little Brat” wants a shorter term as per Bob Mckenzie:

TSNbobmckenzie: Hitch in Ryan negotiations, BTW, is that he wants three-year deal and Ducks want 4 or 5. Ducks have offered $5M per year but want term.

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!” ~Rodney Dangerfield~

123. avatar_58 says:

He’s going to regret it when he has a slump year or two and his value goes down

124. Dintrox says:

Saku had 52 pts last year. I believe it was his 7th straight 50 or more season.

125. likehoy says:

koivu had something like 25 points in his last 30 games

126. SeriousFan09 says:

19G, 33A in 71GP with a +14, including 6 GWG and some SO winners. When a kid called Dan Sexton was called up for the team, they put him with Koivu and the guy started scoring quite a bit, the Koivu effect came through again.

Ducks got him for two more years at 2.5 per, they got a great deal.

127. Max_a_million says:

Thanks guys.

I mainly watch the east, and don’t have a feel for many of the western teams.

128. SeriousFan09 says:

Same here, but I kept an eye on the Ducks this year because of Saku.

129. sholi2000.com says:

Yikes that’s a tuffy.

The Souray has the Bomb, but he takes more stupid penalties.

and Hammer looks like he’s 50 years old at times.

All said and done, I really like watching defensemen score from the point so Sheldon would get one year contract from me.

They Call Me Shane

The Hammer for sure!

131. mike g says:

Well said..

Best example…..AK.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

132. LEAF KILLERS says:

Habs will likely keep Hamrlik till trade deadline and try and replace him with Emelin next year. i would love to see his contract gone sooner but dont see it happening. hope i am wrong. wouldnt mind a player like Asham for under a million. someone that will fight and score about 10 to 15 goals.

133. likehoy says:

i agree..we could use the grit

134. Robert L says:

Hamrlik has a no movement clause – can’t de traded, demoted or bought out. He can only be asked to accept a trade.

135. mike g says:

Good stuff Ian.

Maybe it’s all influenced by the Molson’s now. Those boys own a well structed beer company and seem to know how to take a company tot he next level.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

136. Habs fan in SF says:

speaking of tony marinaro…i’m personally not a verry big fan. he comes off being a little arrogant. he keeps on tooting his own horn when he gets “scoops” … and wasn’t he the one who broke the BREAKING NEWS when price and markov supposedly had their behind closed doors squabble? I much prefer mitch melnick

137. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Melnick with his man crush on Pierre Maguire, I’ve never heard him dissagree once with the all mighty Pierre! And his even bigger man crush on Bob Dylan, can we transfer MM to CHOM, he’d have a much better audience there.

138. Bill H says:

Congrats Mr. Boone on the boost in hits in June.

Looking at Feb/March, 2009 was the better year.  Does that reflect the Carbo firing?

Another interesting stat – July 2009.  No mid summer slump.  Was that due to the Sundin watch?  You might have difficulty matching those numbers.  Unless Gauthier packages AK46 and Hamrlik and/or signs Kovalchuk.  Nope, don’t think that is going to happen.  Better hold off on buying that BMW.

This blog has become a cheap version of Sunday morning TV in America, Tony242 the evangelical pushing his dogma on the HIO atheists. I just can’t wait until he starts asking for money so that he can build his Maple Leaf cathedral.

140. TommyB says:

…..which is exactly why I stick to the specialty channels Sunday mornings and watch The Three Stooges reruns.  You know, I’ve seen every one of them at least 500 times.  Oh….wait a minute.  That’s kind of like this site some days, isn’t it?

141. matmacat says:

We all read comments that complain about our management, the current roster with overpaid vets, lack of young player development, you know the usual… Any negative comment really, goalie debates, whatever you want. So what I want to know from the smart minds we have here that rival and often top paid hockey expert, what current nhl team (management and roster) would you rather have here in Montreal. There are some obvious ones of course, but what I’m trying to figure out is if we’re not in a pretty good spot anyways? Thanks for commenting!

142. aemarchand11 says:

Anybody think that Edmonton would be willing to let Dustin Penner move?

AK + Hamrlik(Former Oiler) + Webber

For

Penner, 3rd Rounder

The Hamrlik contract wouldnt be much of a burden on a rebuilding team and would bring some stability to the backend for the oilers. Souray being released on waivers will allow them to retool their top 6. Penner would give us the scoring big winger. AK would likely be very dangerous on a youth line with a Taylor Hall and Gagner or Horcoff.. Webber is the added skill, they have foster already mind you.

Could work???

143. matmacat says:

That’s just insane. They would be stupid to let go of Penner for unproven AK and aging Hammer, and possibly never NHL ready Webs. …but that’s the dream isn’t it?

144. aemarchand11 says:

nevermind, they have 7 signed d-men for next season already!

145. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Good deal for Oilers – Habs would be overpaying though.

146. _Habsoloutly_ says:

last time I checked Edmonton was trying to get younger.

147. TripleX says:

Leafs resign 23 year old winger Nikolai Kulemin for two years at 2.35 million a year.

148. Ground Chuck says:

Was the track record of the other 241 Tonys so poor that they had to try again?

149. Ground Chuck says:

Lately it’s been the 242 Stooges.

150. TommyB says:

Why soytanly!  The Breezer….nyuk, nyuk.

151. TommyB says:

Tough to argue that one.

152. aemarchand11 says:

2008-2009 they wanted to get rid of him. But after last season I guess he has earned his spot there.

153. SeriousFan09 says:

Lebrun of ESPN says the Sharks will approach Joe Thornton about a contract extension this summer, they really have no interest in the Cup do they?

154. TripleX says:

Really funny what is happening in Calgary.  The main excuse the sports radio guys are using is that Sutter really wanted Savard, the deal was done but Savard exercised his NTC.  Sutter went to a panic Plan B and that was Joikenen.

Does this sound at all familiar to last July1 and Bob Gainey.  LMAO

155. SeriousFan09 says:

No, Gainey went out and signed the best of the UFA class that would perform to their best in the post-season. Sutter has just gone off his rocker and signed two giant disappointments.

156. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

If Gainey was like Sutter, he would have tried to claim Ryder and Samsonov.

Can you imagine the reactions of Habs fans, if Gainey gave them another chance?

157. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

According to Eklund, Frolov is close to signing with the Islanders.

Let’s see if he is right.

158. TripleX says:

The rumor was that Gainey had Lecalvalier but it was stopped by Bettman because of ownership trouble so Bob went for Gomez.

That is the similarity I was attempting to highlight.

159. Max_a_million says:

I might start sounding like Tony242 if they signed Samsonov, Ryder, and say Higgins.

OK I couldn’t really be that jerky, maybe more like Timo

160. Ground Chuck says:

FYI…

BULLDOGS SIGN JIMMY
    BONNEAU TO CONTRACT
    Left winger led the Rochester Americans last season in penalty minutes with 187

HAMILTON, ON – Hamilton Bulldogs General Manager Julien BriseBois announced
    today the signing of forward Jimmy Bonneau to a one-year contract (2010-2011).
    As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Bonneau, 25, played in 46 regular season games with the Rochester Americans
    last season recording six points (four goals, two assists) while leading the
    club in penalty minutes with 187. The 6-foot-3, 220-pound left winger played in
    15 games with the Bulldogs from 2006-2008, recording one goal and 64 penalty
    minutes. The native of Baie-Comeau is a veteran of 118 AHL regular season games
    with Hamilton, Portland and Rochester recording 13 points (five goals, eight
    assists) and 373 penalty minutes. Bonneau was drafted by Montreal in the 8th
    round, 241st overall in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

If anything, this Summer has proven that Timo was not the end of the spectrum for negativity and repetitive posts. Yep, T242 has lowered that bar far lower than anything any of us could’ve ever imagined.

162. Bill H says:

double post

163. SeriousFan09 says:

I honestly do feel like sending a sympathy card to Jarome Iginla right now. 3 more years contracted to a team that’s doomed over that period. I seriously hope he bolts to a Cup squad when his contract ends, he shouldn’t have to put up with that garbage for the rest of his career.

164. TripleX says:

It gets better in Calgary.  Sutter said during his press conference that the Flames are currently OVER the cap.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLO

ps the fact that Sather and Sutter still have jobs renders the argument we have no right to question our betters is mute

165. c.robillard says:

The Canadiens are in promising shape. There’s a definite plan to get
    younger,
    we have a general manager who is not shy to make the moves he believes
    are correct and a lot of guys are on pretty awesome
    “show-us-what-you-got” one-year

Can’t wait til October.

166. GrimJim says:

Could you imagine if Tony242 were a Flames fan? Given what he thinks of the Habs moves in the past few years, I suspect his head would explode trying to figure out what Sutter is thinking

167. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Matthew Lombardi to Nashville! $10.5 M over three years.

168. JIMVINNY says:

Ghana hits the bar on a penalty kick with only seconds remaining in extra time.  WOW.

169. nightmare_49 says:

Excellent signing.

170. nightmare_49 says:

via Marc-Antoine Godin’s Twitter ……………. Bulldogs sign F Jimmy Bonneau to an AHL contract.

171. LEAF KILLERS says:

i think his NTC ends in February

172. Robert L says:

I did not know that!

I checked capgeek and it says this for Hammer:

KNOWN CLAUSES: NTC (full NTC until Feb. 1, 2009; from Feb. 1, 2009, to Feb. 1, 2011, can designate six teams in each conference he will accept a trade to; no NTC beyond that)