No hockey from Hickey

Patrick V. went to the football game last night.

Max Lapierre looks toward third-line duty

• More on Paul Bissonnette and Twitter

• And you think Canadiens fans are passionate? Check out an AC Milan protest

You be Stan Bowman

• It’ll be a great induction speech: JR to the U.S. HoF

Jannik Hansen (Who?) scores in arbitration

• Just for Laughs: TV business anchor and reporter lose it

Today’s video: The 2010-’11 Team (mash-up features Eminem track, so Strong Language Alert!)

1. W35T5ID3 says:

I got goosebumps from that vid….go habs f***in go!

2. smiler2729 says:

Oh come on Clay, not the goalie crap still… dude, go to bed, it must late or early over there in Asia.

3. patrice brisebois says:

4. DONJUAN says:

Gives me goose bumps when i hear and see that Dejardins winner in OT against LA Kings.  Great Video.

In HABS we trust.

5. petrov14 says:

Guy Hebert

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

6. Bill J says:

reposted – so on both threads as well 😉

Ed – just want to touch on ONE thing…  Please take time to consider it…

“What is posted on this web site is not relevant compared to the feeling on the street.”

this I ask, where do you think the feeling on street comes from ?  In
    this day & age you should not knock what the power of the internet
    does for the average fan.

The folks in Montreal ARE swayed by the local media (RDS, Red Fisher, the internet, etc) and it must NOT be over-looked.

Perhaps the thinking that Positive folks are trying to muffle the negative folk, is backwards.

Perhaps, after this past season.  The positive folks have had it, and are making a stand!

Either way…. Why the hell would you want to be on the negative side of things ?

And trust me, I am far from believing everything is rosy when it comes to the Habs.

fact remains, we as fans are pretty much clueless right now as to the
    reality of the state of affairs when it comes to the Habs.  We do not
    know ALL the facts, nor do we know that Gauthier’s days are numbered.

Not yet at least.  Because the puck has not dropped yet.

7. christophor says:

you’re a real world changer.

ed is the odd man out on that list. you misunderstand his posts.

8. Bill J says:

1) there’s some Youtube video’s from this years development camp. :) I posted a few links earlier (they are on page 2 I think now)

2) yes he was injured while down in the AHL.

9. CaptainGorges says:

Great video first of all, goes great with the eminem song. Generally, i write longer posts in response to someone or to talk about a topic of interest. But since there’s nothing going on with the team lately, i just have two simple questions to ask?

1) Why is there so little information on the team’s prospect camp? How did our boys look?

2) What’s the deal with MaxPac? Did he get injured last year, because when you look at his total games played (combining NHL and AHL) from last season, it’s a smaller than usual number? Why isn’t he constantly in the discussion of being a top 6 forward on our team? He played okay for us, and he did show some or even many, flashes of great potential.

10. Cookies says:

Hence me writing “usually”.

11. gauver says:

Your solution could have worked but it had risks.  According to, our current cap space is $4,728 million.  Add back $845,000 for Eller (salary excluding bonus) and $1,000,000 for Auld and the cap space becomes $6,573,000.  Subtract Halak’s $3,750,000 salary and assume $2,000,000 for Price and we have cap space of $823,000 to sign three more players including at least 2 forwards.

To mitigate the risk, we would have to move a player to create space; Hamrlik comes to mind but this is easier said than done.  I guess we could have, and could still, bury him in the minors and hope someone wants him by the trade deadline.  This is an expensive solution but it could have been treated as the cost of buying one more season to determine which goaltender is truly the best to keep.  I get it and I see merit in this opinion.

The Canadiens management have decided on Price and, thereby, have taken a different risk.  Some see it as having blinders on but I see it as them having the courage of their conviction.  If Price plays well, they will be vindicated; if he doesn’t, I think there will be wholesale changes in management by this time next year.  I hope that they’re right.

12. gauver says:

I agree with your assessment; the Canadiens’ playoff performance was a fluke.  I feel like the win versus Pittsburgh was more convincing but the win versus the Caps was good fortune.

Still, it shows that the team is better than last regular season’s results.  But we are not one of the top three teams in the East let alone the whole league.  Still too many holes to fill.  If Price, Pouliot and Kostitsyn can become the reliable performers we need, that will go a long way to filling our needs.  This coming season will tell us what we need to know.  I will be cheering for them!

13. Storm Man says:

I guess im still wanting you to tell me why your so up in arms over the trade. I have to wonder did you feel the same when the Habs traded Huet? or Jose? both where MVP’S on this team and got traded.

14. ed lopaz says:

Clay, the trade has very little support in Montreal.

When I was at game 3 vs Philly, the 2 loudest ovations were for Halak and Subban.

It was incredible how loud it got.

Halak was the people’s hero; a 9th round pick who worked his butt off to get noticed at the NHL level.

In Montreal, we respect athletes who work hard and get results.

Gauthier has taken a huge gamble.

Molson is watching closely.

Gauthier is NOT Gainey – who had carte blanche to do whatever he felt was best.

Gauthier’s days are numbered – he will get 1 season to prove he was right.

15. Clay4bc says:

Good on ya…you have to cheer on your boys.

As to why I am more upset over the Habs than the Broncos should be obvious – Habs > fBroncos. Hockey is much, much, much better than football. I am a Habs fan first and foremost. After my family, friends, and country, that’s where my allegiance lies.

“This has to be the mother of all brain-dead decisions.” Red Fisher regarding the Halak trade.

16. Bugs says:

Coulda been Javel now that I think about it.

Didn’t like to sweat.

Crackin but not slackin, here’s my card

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assitant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Copies:

17. Storm Man says:

The Broncos have made some bad deals here and there don’t you think? So why are you so up in arms about the Habs trading the H-Word? As for my Chargers who have never won a superbowl. I will always cheer for them till I take my dirt nap.

18. Storm Man says:

They use to have this show called superstars where players from all sports went head to head funny never saw a tennis player win :) don’t get me wrong tennis is a nice sport the women look good playing it.

19. Storm Man says:

Very weak you bring up the Molson cup…….. Get real lets hmmmmm Huet won that one year also and the guy you hate Price did. Let’s see how the H-Word does this year.

20. Clay4bc says:

More a hope than a dream, really…I’ve been a Broncos fan since I was six years old…you don’t change your team – ever. Just the way it is. Lack of loyalty is not one of my many faults…

21. Clay4bc says:

As someone who has played a lot of both sports, I think you underestimate the incredible physical shape you need to be in to play 5 sets of competitive tennis. It would test the endurance of even the best football player.

22. Storm Man says:

Keep dreaming LARGE. Who do you have at QB this year? lol

23. Storm Man says:

I understand you could not play the sport. Maybe try tennis that is more your speed.

24. Clay4bc says:

Go Broncos! Kick some Charger a**!

25. Storm Man says:

I would have to be a mix of two players Russ Courtnall and Pete Mahovlich. at 6’2 230 When I played Div 1 football could run the 40 in 4.5 I would have Courtnall’s speed and Mahovlich size.

26. Clay4bc says:

Fair enough…I can get behind Pleks, or at least call it a push between him and Halak – also, honerable mention to Cammy for a great pre-injury season, and a phenominal playoff run. It took incredible goaltending for Halak to top Cammy for habs playoff MVP.

27. G-Man says:

Football? zzzzzz….

28. Clay4bc says:

There has been much “peer pressure” to accept the party line about trading Halak and making Price the number one being the correct and logical decision… The influence of “authorities” on our actions and thinking is undeniable, but what about the influence of peer pressure, as is seen so often on HIO?

The defining experiment in this area was performed by Solomon Asch in
    1955. The set up is simple enough: eight people sit together in a room
    and are presented with one reference line and several comparison lines
    with the goal of stating which of the latter group is the same length as
    the original reference line. One line is always the obviously correct
    answer, but there is also only one person who is being tested; the other
    seven are actors pretending to be part of the experiment. Without
    social pressure, subjects answered wrongly just 1% of the time; when the
    seven actors all gave the wrong answer, though, subjects agreed with
    them at least once 75% of the time.

So people don’t give in to peer pressure and go along with obviously wrong answers all
    the time, but they do it often enough that we should be worried — yet
    there is cause for hope. First, these numbers show that 25% of people
    refused to ever be swayed by peers. Even better, if just one of
    the actors gives the right number, conformity to the majority (wrong)
    answer drops significantly. So there are always a few people who stick
    to their guns and refuse to believe what appears obviously wrong just
    because everyone is telling them they are right and, if they publicly
    speak out, others who doubt what the majority tells them are much less
    likely to continue adhering to the majority view. People like 3x, Ed Lopaz, Demigid, terrygain, manapart, and myself come to mind when holding a dissenting view in the face of rather intense peer  pressure. Keep fighting the good fight, my friends, and don’t ever be afraid to critically aynalize the situation, or to speak your minds in the face of adversity…the world needs more people like you.

29. SeriousFan09 says:

Playoffs, Halak of course.

Season, Plekanec, led the team in scoring with crappy linemates for half the time and was an OT hero more than once. Team got out of a lot of tight jams because of what he did and did a mountain of PK work. He was their everyman and he got it done.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

30. punkster says:

Allen Stanley.

31. Clay4bc says:

Last 5 years overall, I agree…but who was the MVP last season, SF? Seriously, tell me what you think. An honest answer, if you please…