No hockey from Hickey

Patrick V. went to the football game last night.

Max Lapierre looks toward third-line duty

• More on Paul Bissonnette and Twitter

• And you think Canadiens fans are passionate? Check out an AC Milan protest

You be Stan Bowman

• It’ll be a great induction speech: JR to the U.S. HoF

Jannik Hansen (Who?) scores in arbitration

• Just for Laughs: TV business anchor and reporter lose it

Today’s video: The 2010-’11 Team (mash-up features Eminem track, so Strong Language Alert!)

gSAoEjHs6Ls

1. Bill J says:

1) there’s some Youtube video’s from this years development camp. :) I posted a few links earlier (they are on page 2 I think now)

2) yes he was injured while down in the AHL.

2. Danno says:

You mean Halapeno chips, don’t you?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

3. mike g says:

You’re right….

Listening to Brian Burke talk and eating a bag of Miss Vickies Jalapeno chips must be a Leafs fans life climax.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

4. Bill J says:

Cammy

Both Toronto Boys…. And they seem to share the same charisma ;)

5. Rudy says:

So who would you put Subban with?

6. Bob Barker says:

I’m sure his play will dictate whether he’s ready or not. He’s already played a season with men so it’s not like he’s coming straight out of Junior. It’s probably a long shot he makes the team out of camp but if he impresses in Hamilton I can see him getting called up.

No amount of time in Hamilton would have changed SK74’s attitude.

I wholeheartedly disagree that Price is ruined. His career stats are very good for a 22-year old. I think the adversity he’s faced will make him stronger mentally and he’ll be a better goaltender for it. If you disagree, that’s fair but only time will tell.

7. Danno says:

Observing truculence in action requires sustenance of the crunchy variety. Preferably ripples.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

8. ed lopaz says:

I find the lineup hinges on way TOO MANY QUESTION MARKS.

I happen to like Pouliot, but I would not bet my house on his upcoming season.

AK 46 having a successful season is possible – but its a very sizeable gamble.

There you have 2 large question marks in your top 6.

More importantly perhaps, those 2, Pouliot and AK, are ALSO the SIZE up front??? So they have DUEL roles.

1) to help scoring

2) to use their bodies.

Again, I would have dumped AK, and at least brought in something a little more certain for top 6.

bottom 6 – I’m interested in Eller he could be good; I like Lapierre – I would have tried Lapierre on the top instead of AK 46; the other 4 bottom 6 forwards are OK – nothing special at all.

Defence – Markov is world class, no doubt  – but we need a confirmation that his injury has healed

Subban – my favorite Hab – love him; he will be the reason I won’t miss a game next season.

Hamrlik and Spacek – give me a freakin break!!! -Spacek plays useful minutes- but he is no way near the player he was in Buffalo. Hamrlik should have been released – one of the top 5 worse contracts in the league.

Gill and Gorges – I like both of them; no problem as #5 and #6.

We are missing 1 more excellent defenceman – and we have no one to play the point on the power play after Markov and Subban – this is a very big hole that was not filled

Goalie- well depends which Price comes to play – big question mark, for sure.

overall.

too many question marks to expect everything to come together -

will finish anywhere from 6th to 12th depending on how good Price plays.

9. Morenz7 says:

About Chicago: seems pretty clear our old friend Cristobal is bound for the minors, as they are going to arbitration with Antti “Better than Uncle” Niemi, who will command big coin—$3.5-million? more? That would leave them roughly $2M to sign a back-up goalie and three more skaters to make up a MINIMUM regulation roster of 20. Then they’ll need a couple of Black Aces. It’s going to be tight, but not utterly impossible. I could see them getting through next season, happily paying a cap penalty, letting Kopecky go.

10. CaptainGorges says:

Great video first of all, goes great with the eminem song. Generally, i write longer posts in response to someone or to talk about a topic of interest. But since there’s nothing going on with the team lately, i just have two simple questions to ask?

1) Why is there so little information on the team’s prospect camp? How did our boys look?

2) What’s the deal with MaxPac? Did he get injured last year, because when you look at his total games played (combining NHL and AHL) from last season, it’s a smaller than usual number? Why isn’t he constantly in the discussion of being a top 6 forward on our team? He played okay for us, and he did show some or even many, flashes of great potential.

11. Bill J says:

Agree with your last sentence.

I certainly hope the ONE lesson they learned from the “Price experiment” has been, ASSIGN rookies to live with the pre-existing more mature Habs.

12. Cookies says:

Hence me writing “usually”.

13. Bill J says:

Well a case could be made in Avstin’s defense.

He has already played in a “men’s” league, and add to that in his Hometown (added pressure) in what could be argued IS the Montreal of Russia (Moscow Dynamo).

Not saying he gets a direct pass to MTL.  BUT of our prospects, he may very well be the one forward who has the best shot (without counting Eller).

IF his English tutor is amazing at what they do.

14. gauver says:

Your solution could have worked but it had risks.  According to capgeek.com, our current cap space is $4,728 million.  Add back $845,000 for Eller (salary excluding bonus) and $1,000,000 for Auld and the cap space becomes $6,573,000.  Subtract Halak’s $3,750,000 salary and assume $2,000,000 for Price and we have cap space of $823,000 to sign three more players including at least 2 forwards.

To mitigate the risk, we would have to move a player to create space; Hamrlik comes to mind but this is easier said than done.  I guess we could have, and could still, bury him in the minors and hope someone wants him by the trade deadline.  This is an expensive solution but it could have been treated as the cost of buying one more season to determine which goaltender is truly the best to keep.  I get it and I see merit in this opinion.

The Canadiens management have decided on Price and, thereby, have taken a different risk.  Some see it as having blinders on but I see it as them having the courage of their conviction.  If Price plays well, they will be vindicated; if he doesn’t, I think there will be wholesale changes in management by this time next year.  I hope that they’re right.

I doubt that Avstin is ready to play in the NHL.  We don’t want to ruin another good prospect by putting them in the line-up before they are ready. (SK74, MaxPac, Price etc)

16. Danno says:

LOL…

By the way, it’s a medical fact that if
    the Red Wings’ Swedish players wore these outfits on the same ice as the
    Canadiens wore their barber pole sweaters
    , your optic nerves would burst
    into flames.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

17. mike g says:

Alrighty then…

People, I have just figured out why the Habs have struggled in the draft in years past. Here’s a clip from the 2009 draft in MTL, and take a look in the backround…

Yep thats the Habs table, and instead of reading papers and looking busy, we got JM with the munchies eating a bag of chips…

(LOL, don’t worry I’m not attacking JM. Just found the video and thaught it was funny)

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

18. Bob Barker says:

Works for me. I just want to see Eller and Avstin play together. I don’t think either Moen or Pyatt will ever be mistaken for natural goalscorers. But since Eller’s supposed to be a pretty slick playmaker, it would be good for him to have a natural finisher to pass to.

19. HabFanSince72 says:

Hey that’s pretty cool!

20. avatar_58 says:

What about Avstin – Eller – Pyatt?

21. Bill J says:

Ultimately, you are right.

almost no point in predicting the lineup.  Because so much can happen in the next 2 months, all depends on how they are conditioning themselves over the summer.

And for Avstin (for example) how good his English Tutor is.

22. Bob Barker says:

I’d like to see Avstin play on the third line with Eller and Moen. Lapierre on the fourth. Darche in the pressbox. Then if Ak46 or Pouliot struggle, either Eller or Avstin could fill in.

23. Bill J says:

Just a few tweeks from my peanut gallery.

Cammalleri – Plekanec – Avstin or AK46

Pouliot – Gomez – Gionta

Pyatt – Eller – Boyd

Moen – Lapierre – Darche

Markov – Hamrlik

Spacek – Subban

Gorges – Gill

Price – Auld

Offensive 3rd line tweeked, creates a energy line that can produce offence, 4th line is the workers line.

Split up Markov & Subban, they should only see time together on the PP.  Also split up Spacek & Hammer.  This creates 3 good pairings IMO.

Avstin may not start the season, but I suspect by the end of the season he will have eaten AK46’s spot, unless of course PG lands a “top 6″ in return for AK46.

24. G-Man says:

I’m JM. I wait to evaluate who has brought the work ethic and professionalism I expect to see at training camp.

The only guys who are “set” up front are Gomez, Gionta, Pleks and Cammy.

The D, sans Markov, is probably: Hamrlik and Subban, Spacek and O’Byrne, Gorges and Gill.

All the rest will have to earn their spot.

25. PuckBuddy says:

You’re JM…what is your 2010-11 lineup?

Cammalleri – Plekanec – Kostitsyn

Pouliot – Gomez – Gionta

Moen – Eller – Lapierre

Pyatt – Boyd – Darche

Markov – Subban

Spacek – Hamrlik

Gorges – Gill

Price – Auld

Others: Pacioretty….I’d love to see him make the jump back into the lineup this year. If he were to get time he’d probably bump lapierre down to the 4th line and Darche to the bench. Guys like Trotter, Maxwell, Palushaj could all see some time as well while Darche will be on the bench ready and willing at any moment. O’Byrne, Weber, and sometimes Carle will see some 7th D action.

Matt

26. gauver says:

I agree with your assessment; the Canadiens’ playoff performance was a fluke.  I feel like the win versus Pittsburgh was more convincing but the win versus the Caps was good fortune.

Still, it shows that the team is better than last regular season’s results.  But we are not one of the top three teams in the East let alone the whole league.  Still too many holes to fill.  If Price, Pouliot and Kostitsyn can become the reliable performers we need, that will go a long way to filling our needs.  This coming season will tell us what we need to know.  I will be cheering for them!

27. Bob Barker says:

Doesn’t really need to learn much. “Shoot” “Pass” “Backcheck” “Go to the net.”

I’m sure Markov can help him with the rest.

Hopefully if Avstin makes the team, he could stay with Markov.

28. Storm Man says:

I guess im still wanting you to tell me why your so up in arms over the trade. I have to wonder did you feel the same when the Habs traded Huet? or Jose? both where MVP’S on this team and got traded.

29. ed lopaz says:

Clay, the trade has very little support in Montreal.

When I was at game 3 vs Philly, the 2 loudest ovations were for Halak and Subban.

It was incredible how loud it got.

Halak was the people’s hero; a 9th round pick who worked his butt off to get noticed at the NHL level.

In Montreal, we respect athletes who work hard and get results.

What is posted on this web site is not relevant compared to the feeling on the street.

Gauthier has taken a huge gamble.

Molson is watching closely.

Gauthier is NOT Gainey – who had carte blanche to do whatever he felt was best.

Gauthier’s days are numbered – he will get 1 season to prove he was right.

30. Clay4bc says:

Good on ya…you have to cheer on your boys.

As to why I am more upset over the Habs than the Broncos should be obvious – Habs > fBroncos. Hockey is much, much, much better than football. I am a Habs fan first and foremost. After my family, friends, and country, that’s where my allegiance lies.

__________________________

“This has to be the mother of all brain-dead decisions.” Red Fisher regarding the Halak trade.

31. Bugs says:

Coulda been Javel now that I think about it.

Didn’t like to sweat.

Crackin but not slackin, here’s my card

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assitant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Copies: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

32. Storm Man says:

The Broncos have made some bad deals here and there don’t you think? So why are you so up in arms about the Habs trading the H-Word? As for my Chargers who have never won a superbowl. I will always cheer for them till I take my dirt nap.

33. Storm Man says:

They use to have this show called superstars where players from all sports went head to head funny never saw a tennis player win :) don’t get me wrong tennis is a nice sport the women look good playing it.

34. Storm Man says:

Very weak you bring up the Molson cup…….. Get real lets hmmmmm Huet won that one year also and the guy you hate Price did. Let’s see how the H-Word does this year.

35. Clay4bc says:

More a hope than a dream, really…I’ve been a Broncos fan since I was six years old…you don’t change your team – ever. Just the way it is. Lack of loyalty is not one of my many faults…

__________________________

36. Clay4bc says:

As someone who has played a lot of both sports, I think you underestimate the incredible physical shape you need to be in to play 5 sets of competitive tennis. It would test the endurance of even the best football player.

__________________________

37. Storm Man says:

Keep dreaming LARGE. Who do you have at QB this year? lol

38. Storm Man says:

I understand you could not play the sport. Maybe try tennis that is more your speed.

39. Clay4bc says:

Go Broncos! Kick some Charger a**!

__________________________

40. Storm Man says:

I would have to be a mix of two players Russ Courtnall and Pete Mahovlich. at 6’2 230 When I played Div 1 football could run the 40 in 4.5 I would have Courtnall’s speed and Mahovlich size.

41. Clay4bc says:

Fair enough…I can get behind Pleks, or at least call it a push between him and Halak – also, honerable mention to Cammy for a great pre-injury season, and a phenominal playoff run. It took incredible goaltending for Halak to top Cammy for habs playoff MVP.

__________________________

42. G-Man says:

Football? zzzzzz….

43. Clay4bc says:

There has been much “peer pressure” to accept the party line about trading Halak and making Price the number one being the correct and logical decision… The influence of “authorities” on our actions and thinking is undeniable, but what about the influence of peer pressure, as is seen so often on HIO?

The defining experiment in this area was performed by Solomon Asch in
    1955. The set up is simple enough: eight people sit together in a room
    and are presented with one reference line and several comparison lines
    with the goal of stating which of the latter group is the same length as
    the original reference line. One line is always the obviously correct
    answer, but there is also only one person who is being tested; the other
    seven are actors pretending to be part of the experiment. Without
    social pressure, subjects answered wrongly just 1% of the time; when the
    seven actors all gave the wrong answer, though, subjects agreed with
    them at least once 75% of the time.

So people don’t give in to peer pressure and go along with obviously wrong answers all
    the time, but they do it often enough that we should be worried — yet
    there is cause for hope. First, these numbers show that 25% of people
    refused to ever be swayed by peers. Even better, if just one of
    the actors gives the right number, conformity to the majority (wrong)
    answer drops significantly. So there are always a few people who stick
    to their guns and refuse to believe what appears obviously wrong just
    because everyone is telling them they are right and, if they publicly
    speak out, others who doubt what the majority tells them are much less
    likely to continue adhering to the majority view. People like 3x, Ed Lopaz, Demigid, terrygain, manapart, and myself come to mind when holding a dissenting view in the face of rather intense peer  pressure. Keep fighting the good fight, my friends, and don’t ever be afraid to critically aynalize the situation, or to speak your minds in the face of adversity…the world needs more people like you.

__________________________

44. SeriousFan09 says:

Playoffs, Halak of course.

Season, Plekanec, led the team in scoring with crappy linemates for half the time and was an OT hero more than once. Team got out of a lot of tight jams because of what he did and did a mountain of PK work. He was their everyman and he got it done.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

45. punkster says:

Allen Stanley.

FREE TIMO!

46. Clay4bc says:

Last 5 years overall, I agree…but who was the MVP last season, SF? Seriously, tell me what you think. An honest answer, if you please…

__________________________

47. Storm Man says:

I see some on here are still talking about the H-Word. Im so happy Charger camp is open on Sunday.

48. Clay4bc says:

Usually, that’s true…but this week Shanghai has had the clearest skies and least smog reported in the last 20 years, so I am unusually lucid lately…and Halak did, indeed, win the Molson Cup. Are you denying that he was the team MVP last season?

PS…SF can fight his own battles – he doesn’t need you all to gang up for him. Although I’m sure he appreciates the support.

__________________________

49. Storm Man says:

Clay has all that smog to deal with each day. It is killing his brain cells one by one.

50. Mattyleg says:

I’m wih 72 on this.

Kovy was a class act. He did have his floaty moments, but he was exciting as hell and he loved being a Hab, and made no bones about it. That’s good enough for me.

Must be dark in your cave….

—Hope Springs Eternal—

51. G-Man says:

Bugs, you sure it wasn’t Ravel?

52. G-Man says:

At 6’1″ and 220lbs, a larger and meaner Dale Hunter, I think. Lots of penalty minutes and a decent amount of goals. I still remember the crazy bastard cross-checking Chelios in the head as the Habs playoff series winning goal went in.

53. Storm Man says:

JM acts like a prison guard does that count?

54. G-Man says:

Kovy was nothing but a selfish floater who had 1 (count it) season with the Habs when he played up to his potential. The problem was, he was here for what, 4 or 5 seasons?

55. ZepFan2 says:

C’mon Clay.

Doesn’t say much about the Molson cup, eh.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

56. SeriousFan09 says:

Markov may not have won the Molson Cup but Markov’s been the MVP for the last half-decade. Team makes the playoffs each year because of him, Canadiens didn’t get back to a winning track until he returned from injury as per usual.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

57. Anonymous says:

OH YEAH!?! I’m Evander “Holyfield” Kane.

58. Clay4bc says:

Winner of the 2009-2010 Molson Cup (player of the year) standings – Jaroslav Halak.

Sorry to burst your bubble, SF.

__________________________

59. punkster says:

The majority? Far from it TX. A few expressed that thought. Most I read were just happy to be in the playoffs, happy to beat the top 2 teams in the east and happy to make it so far. The majority didn’t take sides in the media-blog goalie controversy. The majority tend to have their heads screwed on straight. Except for Bugs whose head apparently spns around according to him.

FREE TIMO!

60. Curtoph says:

Marble Slab?

61. ed lopaz says:

1) the habs received a 2 million dollar INCREASE in the Cap to 59 million; THIS MONEY PAYS THE RAISE IN
    PLEKANEC”S SALARY

2) Halak was a RFA with Arbitration. I would have accepted a 4million arbitration settelement for 1 year.

we’re talking about finding an extra 2 million to pay Halak + Price, vs Price + Auld.

Is Halak worth it?

I think so – because he was our playoff goalie – and because Price “might” need more time to develop.

I say “might” for Price – because we don’t know how he will play.

That’s why you keep Halak for 1 more year, and then make the decision next summer who to keep

long term.

That’s what i would have done.

62. W35T5ID3 says:

I got goosebumps from that vid….go habs f***in go!

63. nickster13 says:

its the weight bro, you could see it in his chubby cheeks! I remember the year or so before he looked much smaller

64. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Oh yeah? Well, I am Matt Cooke. LOL

65. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Haha, it’s not that I hate Pouliot, I like the kid a lot. If any of them (between AK and Pouliot) have a great year, we could be in for a hell of a ride next year. But if both can deliver next year, I won’t be afraid to assume that the Habs will go on another run.

66. likehoy says:

sean avery

67. Bugs says:

K Senior for Simon Gagné. Yes! Let’s DO it. Let’s DO this thing and get… Huh? What?

Oh, nevermind then.

Crackin but not slackin, here’s my card

68. likehoy says:

beer gut? AK’s an OX.

at any rate…blame the canadiens management for continuing to tell the guy to be physical. i think he was fine before playing at 200 lbs…quick and strong…now he’s just strong with a crazy shot…but not quick enough (could be the knee injury last year).

69. SeriousFan09 says:

So am I, it’s pretty hard to like AK given the last year but I’m willing to see what will happen now that we’ve taken a 210-pound weight off of his mind.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

70. likehoy says:

after hearing so much about pouliot…it seems as if his issue has always been confidence. he’s always been a late bloomer so he hasn’t had the experience to be a go-to guy despite his skill set.

i think pierre mcguire described pouliot as not knowing how good he is or can be.

if somehow something clicks in pouliot’s head and he comes out strong, we could have a very good player……crossing my fingers.

71. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Well height-wise, I’d say Jaroslav Halak but performance wise I’d say Michael Leighton haha

I just started playing hockey a year ago so I am still not steady between the pipes yet, though I’ve been improving lately.

72. nickster13 says:

Joe Sakic. not overly physical, not a passer,  not a dangler, just a wristshooter at about 6 ft tall.

Sure hes a superstar, but i cant think of an average guy with the above traits, you said model after, after all

73. nickster13 says:

yeah but poo poo wanted to gain muscle, tell me AK wants to lose the beer gut and i will put him on the same footing

74. Bugs says:

Pavel. That was my nickname anyway.

But since we can’t use superstars, I’ll say Gio. Goals are right in front of the net. Shoot, rebound, deke standing still if you have to, shoot, rebound, deke standing still if you have to, shoot, shoot, shoot. I’ll take the pain. I love the pain; gimme some goals! Goals are in the crease. So yes (before you ask), I did get crosschecked in the head a lot.

Anyway, classic story, got hit when I was expectin it. My bad. Back is finished. Ahhh…still, it was fun.

Thanks for the memory lane, Yahoo.