No Habs hockey tonight

Carey Price compares a 1965 Victoriaville Pro, a “two-by-four” once used by former Canadien Denis DeJordy, with his own Reebok 11K. Strangely, Price says he’s keeping his own stick.
Peter McCabe, Gazette

Seems weird, eh?

So we get another day of P.K. Subban speculation and deepening mystery on Scott Gomez as the Canadiens prepare for their Friday-Saturday road games.

The Canadiens practice at noon at Brossard, then fly to Windsor at 3 pm and bus to Detroit for tomorrow’s tilt in the Motor City. We’ll learn more today when Jacques Martin enlightens us about Gomez’s condition and gives us the play-by-play of Andrei Markov’s surgery yesterday.

Details to come here, and via Twitter with Dave Stubbs.

• Gomez day-to-day, players visit sick kids

Carey Price shooting to score

• Pat Hickey on the tough upcoming schedule

Pierre Durocher on P.K.

• Marc Antoine Godin on five players who might interest the Canadiens

Canadiens footage from the early days of colour TV

Canadiens fourth in SI power rankings

1. VancouverHab says:

Connotation  is itself “conjectural and suppositional” in regard to public remarks.

So too for the statement that “Don Cherry’s comments are not mere predictions or hypotheticals, they are normative claims”: that is a conjecture which cannot be denotative by definition–it is your own extrapolation from his comments.

I trend toward legalistic (my revision of your “lawyerly”) in defending Don Cherry’s remarks as the best means of limiting the possibility of people ranting and canting their personal bigotry against the man and increasing the possibility of rational discussions — such as your excellent response here.

My thanks & respects.

2. VancouverHab says:

No — I try not to use it: but I was pretty tired when I wrote it, if that explains something that you find odd (or odder than usual.)

3. VancouverHab says:

Agreed — and losing to the Leafs occasionally is part of our Great Traditional Rivalry (TM) and gets written off.

4. VancouverHab says:

Ha ha! You’ve been reading your Waugh.

5. habs365 says:

could very well be..I’ll leave it to the powers to be PG and Martin..lets face it..no matter what we comment on.. PG and Martin has the last say.

6. habs365 says:

Right on Rice..finally someone made a sensible comment

7. habs365 says:

I’d take clowe..not cole

8. shiram says:

He said he rung twice and started getting pissed at me, since i was leaving i didnt bother…

9. punkster says:

Girl, yu keep runnin’ round spreadin’ all this shiiite ’bout tradin’ ‘n panicin’ ‘n stuff ‘n yer jis bein’ all freaked o’r nuthin’, ya know?

Get a grip!

***All You Need Is Love***

10. habs365 says:

Richards is a good player on pace for 100 point season at 7.8 milllion little steep..I would say he has another 5 good years left..tough one..but he’d be a good addition

Kaberle on pace for 45 point season at 4.25 million that’s reasonable..but again you’re looking at another 4 or 5 good years (tops) left..he’d be a good addition for the powerplay.

PG would have to look at the team down the road..it’s nice to win a cup, something that’s not gonna happen often anymore..but you have to also look at having a competitive team every year like Detroit..gives you a chance of winning another cup……..

11. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Whoa, let’s not jump to conclusions. This story has really taken on a life of its own, and it’s getting to be a bit much.

The way I see it, AT WORST, this is what happened:

-PK took up a little more space in the dressing room than some vets would like, i.e. changing the music, etc. This bugged some guys.

-PK talks a lot on the ice. This is okay if he backs it up with his play.

-PK got away from the team’s system a couple of times, and it resulted in a couple of bad performances.

-Some of the vets went to Martin to alert him to PK’s brashness in the room.

-PK had a bad game against Edmonton, so Martin used it as an excuse to bench him and send a message.

-Allegedly (according to Jacques Demers), after sitting out against New Jersey, PK was laughing about the state of the Devils and their lack of fans. One could see how this would be irritating to Gio and Gomez who spent many years in NJ. This could be construed as PK not getting the message, therefore he sits again.

-The team has kept winning. PK continues to sit.

Now, again, this is the WORST I could see happening, and it is not too bad. PK is smart and has always been a team guy, in the sense that he wants to win and doesn’t do anything in public that puts himself above the team. I’m sure the vets will make him fall in line and he will be better for it. Once he finds a proper balance between his style and the team’s, we will have a truly special player for many years.

12. Mattyleg says:

I hope you throttled him…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

13. shiram says:

Yea what I hate the most is when they dont even ring the door and leave the notice…It’s happened twice to me, and once I caught the guy trying to leave the note.

14. habs365 says:

maybe the media or the sports pages put pk too high on the pedestal and it went to his head and carried over in the dressing room..I don’t know anymore..if that’s the case no team will want him..you don’t want a player in the dressing room that upsets the team..as far as I know the Habs has gotten rid of their dressing room problems..in most cases..the new faces they brought in would indicate that..hope that’s not the case for PK..if so..I have a feeling he’ll be moved around a lot in the NHL……

15. Mattyleg says:

I swear, UPS must have an alarm that goes off when people are not available so that they can make their deliveries.

I’ve been waiting a week for my iPhone, and I got in the shower for 8 minutes, came out, and there was a yellow notice on my front door.

Have to wait ’til tomorrow now. Grrrrrrrhhhhh!!!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

16. SmartDog says:

LMAO!!!!!

Awesome post.  Just awesome.

——-

17. SmartDog says:

Not to mention (just occurred to me) that “white way” is alliterative…. your brain sometimes skips to the next sound.

——-

18. SmartDog says:

Thanks.

Good Price quote!

——-

19. Gormdog says:

Roffle mao!

20. habs365 says:

Hey! johnbellyful, that’s great I really liked it..keep them coming..finally someone with a since of humor. “yes”

21. Chuck says:

They fly to Windsor at 3pm, so my guess is that they’d land at around 4:30.

Centre Hice: my last Canadiens game at the Forum

22. SmartDog says:

Like they say ‘pressure makes diamonds’.  If PK can take this in stride as he seems to he’ll just come out of it a better, tougher, player. ——-

23. punkster says:

Nice work there JB :)

***All You Need Is Love***

24. Drive_For_25 says:

Anyone have any info on their flight to Windsor this afternoon????  I live in Windsor and just wondering what time they would be gettin here.  Have a few buddies that work at the airport and wanna give them some gear to get signed!!!  Any info would help.  THANKS!!

GO HABS!!!!!!!!

25. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

no you guyz its TRU!!!!!!!! there all h8rz in that dresing room! i hurd that after practiss cammy waited outside pks locker and asked him if he wnted to go to da mall. pk said no and cammy got soooooooooooooooo mad! then pk went to gonta and sed y u so shrt? but it was just jokes!!!!!!!!!!! then gonta and cmamy went to martin and sed kick pk off are team or we quit!

its TRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. SmartDog says:

This may be the nastiest choice ever posed on HIO because it implies either losing to our most reviled rival or the leagues best team who we could bring down a peg.  I’m surprised people aren’t just having a meltodown and typing sdththjwejkthlkwjet hkrhst ksjhhsfdkjdhf s!!!!!!!

But I would pick… a win over Detroit.  Best thing for our confidence and I hate losing to the Laffs but if we do it’d probably be from lack of giving a crap, and it’ll help the Loafs in their bid NOT give a top 3 pick to Boston AGAIN.

——-

27. habs365 says:

smiler you’re right on

28. subdoxastic says:

Cherry never referenced Subban’s locker room behaviour for his criticisms of P.K. He limited himself to P.K.’s on-ice behaviour.

The reports from teh montreal media are conjectdure and supposition until they can be confirmed.

Using innuendo in your continued defense of Cherry and his antics on HNIC harms your argument. If you want your position vis a vis Cherry to be respected, provide respectable evidence, not suppositions that seem more at home on HI/O than in a newspaper.

But it’s never been about respectable or logical with you and your defense of Cherry has it? In order to distance Cherry from what you feel are unfair claims about his encouraging of players to target P.K. you resorted to a literal (and rather lawyerly) interpretation of his remarks; an interpretation that pays no heed to connotation, only strict denotation.

Your argument against equivocating Cherry’s comments with the actions of players was interesting. I think you’re right to recognize scale when discussing what someone says and what someone does in the apportioning of culpability.

But, what such a distinction shouldn’t do is to obfuscate the fact that Don Cherry’s comments are not mere predictions or hypotheticals, they are normative claims.

Furthermore, despite my incredulity, Cherry is largely seen as an ‘expert’/'spokesman’/'leading figure’/'opinion-maker’. I’m sure most folks (regardless of their personal feelings for Cherry) would accept one or more of the above descriptions of Cherry as true– as would Cherry himself.

If Cherry does command some respect and or impression-making ability, and is aware of it, is it right to think he shares no responsibility for the comments he makes, particularly when those comments are a form of justification for violence or harm to an individual?

Let’s be clear. Cherry wasn’t acting as a weatherman, telling us the forecast. He was placing his predictions within a moral order, one he agrees with and has been at pains to promote throughout his broadcasting career.

29. shiram says:

Pfft let’s make it a 5 game winning streak! Whats this talk of losing games anyways?

30. Danno says:

Detroit. That is the one that will really raise our profile. Leaf games have always been a coin toss for some strange reason.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

31. avatar_58 says:

Oh calm down, he slipped. Race exists, PK is black, Pertriangelo is white. MAYBE that crossed his mind. It’s not racist and who really cares? PK didn’t.

Non issue