No Habs hockey tonight

Carey Price compares a 1965 Victoriaville Pro, a “two-by-four” once used by former Canadien Denis DeJordy, with his own Reebok 11K. Strangely, Price says he’s keeping his own stick.
Peter McCabe, Gazette

Seems weird, eh?

So we get another day of P.K. Subban speculation and deepening mystery on Scott Gomez as the Canadiens prepare for their Friday-Saturday road games.

The Canadiens practice at noon at Brossard, then fly to Windsor at 3 pm and bus to Detroit for tomorrow’s tilt in the Motor City. We’ll learn more today when Jacques Martin enlightens us about Gomez’s condition and gives us the play-by-play of Andrei Markov’s surgery yesterday.

Details to come here, and via Twitter with Dave Stubbs.

• Gomez day-to-day, players visit sick kids

Carey Price shooting to score

• Pat Hickey on the tough upcoming schedule

Pierre Durocher on P.K.

• Marc Antoine Godin on five players who might interest the Canadiens

Canadiens footage from the early days of colour TV

Canadiens fourth in SI power rankings

1. avatar_58 says:

Oh calm down, he slipped. Race exists, PK is black, Pertriangelo is white. MAYBE that crossed his mind. It’s not racist and who really cares? PK didn’t.

Non issue

2. Kappy says:

1.  No. But if he could be signed long term then definetly YES.  Which brings up a good question who would you sign Richards or Markov?  And how much more would Richards be?  Can you imagine Richards, Pleks, Eller, Gomez as are centers…

2. I would like a Bertuzzi, Franzen type player, but there is not to many of them around and they all seem to play for the same team..  Maybe Langenbrunner in the short term and I can’t see NJ wanting more then a pick or a prospect in return

3. I would take Kaberle for maybe Desharnies (because unfortunatly I don’t think he will ever crack or lineup because of his size) and a 2nd or 3rd rounder.  Kaberle is a poor mans Markov.

4. Pearnel will be fine.  He is just a kid being a kid.  He reminds me of Ken Griffy Jr. when he came up to the big leagues, always smilin and havin fun.  Is that sooo bad. I will quote the Joker “Why so serious?”.  He will be back soon and play better then ever.

5. If we play are game and come out hard for 3 periods we will beat Detroit

3. habs365 says:

Hope you get well soon

4. 123456 says:

attention HIO readers and posters – the following it a joke. it is only a joke. in the event of a real racist comment you will be notified where to tune into to leave comments. (that was supposed to be similar to the emergency broadcast system messages i saw on TV as a child)

anyway, panger said “white” instead or “right”. maybe he is not a racist at all – rather he is part asain and really was saying “right”.

5. punkster says:

Whoa, talk about making more out of something than it is. If anyone thinks he sitting just ” because he made a couple of mistakes” and that soon he’ll “request a trade”, give your head a shake.

***All You Need Is Love***

6. SmartDog says:

I thought it was more like you hide in the woods and wait to see which way the battle is going before you fire your muskets.

7. Mats Naslund says:

I think there is still reason for excitement. The Habs weren’t the only team trying to land him. 3 years from now when he’s 21-22 and he’s 6’6 230-240 and he’s learned how to use his natural abilities we probably won’t be worried about his slow start in London! Maybe he’s an O’B in the end. Who knows. A pretty good gamble though.

8. Mats Naslund says:

Detroit. I want the Habs to beat the best. Plus I’ll be there lol.

They’ll likely beat the Laughs anyway.

9. Mattyleg says:

Yet another reason to get rid of the stupid freakin’ shootout.

What happens when a goalie lets in 3 shootout-shots, and loses the shootout 3-2?

The team gets ONE goal against?? How can they justify those ‘statistics’??

…then again, this is the league whose schedule… blegh, don’t even get me started.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

10. punkster says:

A sort of Evelyn Waugh approach to tabloid sports writing? Then I approve.

***All You Need Is Love***

11. habs365 says:

forget about what pang should be more concerned about pk playing than this’re trying to make more out of it than it is..that’s all we need to hear on this site for the next 3months.get pk back playing..they’re all pissed off with pk, cause he has more energy than the rest of the team..if they all came to play every night like pk..we’d be unreachable in the standings..our best defenseman sitting out because he has too much energy..can’t be..because he made a couple of mistakes..there’s not one player on this team that hasn’t made a couple of mistakes or they wouldn’t have loss 8 games..look at it anyway you want..mistakes is the reason for a, pg and jm don’t blame pk..soon he’ll have taken enough of your bs and request a trade and you will lose the best young dman the Habs have had since markov……

12. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

They do appear in total goals against. The goals for/against is just a sum of the final score of each game. Bruins goalies have let in 47 goals, there have been 2 empty-netters, and they lost by shoot-out 3 times. It shows up as 52 goals against, but really it’s only 49.

13. twocents says:

The odd thing is that in the standing data the booins are listed as having 52 goals against, but in team stats, under goals against, they only list 49, which divided by 26 is 1.88. So what accounts for the difference?

14. Mattyleg says:

’tis truly the noblest of professions…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

15. Gormdog says:

Not so much “nhl ready” as more the closest one who could step in and not look out of place.

I guess the Habs trading up got me excited and overhyped him in my eyes.

16. Mattyleg says:

I don’t believe that shootout goals appear anywhere in statistics.

Except for how many shootout goals players have scored, but that’s just trivia.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

17. Mattyleg says:

I imagine it has to do with overtime games.

GAA is usually figured out by minutes, not games. So a goalie that has 2 ga in an overtime game ends up with something like 1.88.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

18. Matt_in_TO says:

Toronto because I live in the middle of leaf nation

– In Price We Trust

19. Mike Boone says:

That’s what columnists do. The classic definition of our role: After the battle has been fought and the issue decided, columnists come down from the hills to shoot the wounded.

20. Mats Naslund says:

Tinordi has had a rough start in London – but I’m not sure there is all that much to be worried about. The USA has one of the deepest talent pools available for the juniors, and Tinordi is still available to play next year (not that his play this year warrants a spot). Tinordi has struggled and so has the rest of his team. He is a -6 currently which isn’t good, but is nowhere near the worst. I suspect a full year in the OHL with the Hunters is exactly what he needs. If he’s still struggling this time next season there might be reason for concern. Anyone who thought he was “NHL ready” at the draft was maybe on drugs.. He’ll take time (like everyone else), and I still think he’ll be an NHL defenseman. You can teach a guy to be a good defender, but you can’t teach size.

21. Castor says:

The part that made me realize that it was completely a slip and not anything else was when he apologized and said “I have a sick to my stomach feeling” or something like that. You can tell he was dead serious and he felt horrible. I know that feeling. A few years ago I congratulated a woman who was pregnant because she looked thinner. With this huge smile on my face “Congrats!”

Only to find out an hour later that she lost the baby.
    That sick feeling has stayed with me and it was four years ago. I apologized too. An honest mistake but I still feel sick when I think about it.

22. punkster says:

Dorocher’s article is a bit strange. On one hand he admits he may have been wrong when he disagreed with benching PK. Then he gives Martin credit for the way he handles the situation and then alludes to trouble in the room because of PKs attitude or what he calls flamboyance.

But in the end he says “Sauf qu’il doit aussi réaliser qu’il n’a pas affaire à un joueur comme les autres en Subban, qu’on voit comme un futur défenseur étoile dans la Ligue nationale.” My French is weak but he seems to be scolding Martin, saying Martin must realize he is not dealing with just any player but a future NHL star. I find this statement, if I have read it correcftly, to be somewhat arrogant on Durocher’s part. Suggesting that he, Durocher, knows more about the situation and more about coaching than Martin. Assuming he can give Martin suggestions on how to handle players.

Am I reading too much into his comment?

***All You Need Is Love***

23. JohnBellyful says:

It’s how long he continues sitting that becomes a real concern. If it’s because the team is winning without him in the lineup, I suppose that’s a valid argument but one has to wonder what is the root of the problem. BTW, really enjoyed your reminiscing about making the trip to the forum. I only got to see the Habs play once at home and it also was against Minnesota. If memory serves, the Canadiens won 3-0. Unfortunately, that’s about all I remember (and I wasn’t even drinking!). The current team is producing its own share of memorable moments. For us and younger generations.

24. Gormdog says:

Theres a difference between “being fine” and “being better for it”.

If he’s still sitting in Toronto, it becomes a huge issue. For now i’ll leave it to JM’s winning lineup formula.

25. Gormdog says:

I noticed in the past few games, despite playing well, the Weber Picard pairing got quite often hemmed into their own end.

It sucks but i  feel like JM is not going to use him against Detroit. It’s win win for JM – Either we beat Detroit(and then sits him in toronto which would, to me, show that this is the ultimate punishment for something PK did or is percieved to have done), or, we Lose to Detroit and he’s justified in putting PK back in and no longer having to play lineup chicken anymore.

26. ShangaDoo says:

Hey, can we get a “like” button already?

SmartDog, I agree with you 100%. We all have prejudices but it is how we handle them. My favorite post regarding this whole hoopla.

Mistakes happen, he’s human.

“They say you can’t buy experience,and it’s really true.” -Carey Price

27. twocents says:

Likely OT.

I believe the formula is goals/(minutes played/60). That’s how it works for tenders.

It could also be because SO goals might not count in the team goals against average, but show up in total goals against numbers.

28. Rice Miller says:

I totally agree, Dawg, although sometimes I am leary when I hear that the ‘Allo Police’ media is dropping insider info on dressing room dynamics. I actually like the fact that Richards and Crosby have stated that PK is getting under their skin. it just tells me he’s doing his job. If PK was wearing blue, Cherry would be honoring him as the second coming.

I think you said it all in your “passion he brings to the ice” comment. As for the benching, in my opinion, it had everything to do with offensive zone pinching late in a game with a 3-2 lead, rather than his mouth or his verve.

He will be lacing up tomorrow night and he will be more respective of his defensive zone responsibilities. This may be the incentive he needed to push him higher in his attempt for the Calder.

29. Gormdog says:

First and foremost I want to know how we look against the best. We could win the stanley cup for the next 7 years straight and still go .500 against the Leafs. Just the way the Habs roll.

Secondly and not as foremost, I want Toronto to get POINTS. I can’t believe that the Leafs are so bad that i’m cheering for them, Boston will indirectly lose from the Leafs win. Just the way the Bruins roll.

Thirdly and maybe slightly more foremost than the second point, is player protection. If we beat the Leafs, there is little doubt in my mind that in the dwindling minutes Rosehill or some other equivalent douchebag plows Gio into the boards head first. Just the way the Leafs roll.

30. Jordio-oh says:

I usually catch the Hockey Central at noon on the Fan590, one or two days a week, if i have my lunch at my desk and its testing sometimes, for sure. The absolute worst is when the fans call in and make suggestions. Some idiot leaf fan called in yesterday and said the Habs had nothing of interest to the Leafs or nothing they could use, so he suggested Colton Gillies and a 2nd round pick from the Wild for Kaberle. At least Kypreos, MacLean and Brady had the berries to step up and tell that guy he was crazy if he thought montreal had nothing to offer. Personally, i don’t want Kaberle and i don’t find it frusterating how moronic (and in denial) most leafs are; i just find it funny and sad.

31. JF says:

Boston has played 26 games and given up 52 goals.  This makes their G/A 2, right?  But on the NHL team stats page, their G/A is given as 1.88.  Can someone explain this?

I would want Toronto to win so that it would decrease Boston’s chances of getting Larsson or Couturier in the entry draft this summer.  That also means we would beat Detroit which would be a feather in our cap (helmet?).

33. krob1000 says:

Was absolutely pissed, been ranting and raving like a lunatic…lol….seriously though I was pretty ticked  until all of this off ice stuff was told.  I didn’t think his on ice play was deserving and still don’t but I was unaware of this other crap happening.  I still think he is our best dman right now and the instant he dresses again we are a better team …  if he is upsetting guys on other teams I really don’t care and actually encourage it…. but if it is affecting our dressing room …diff’t story.  Given our pp woes the other night with no Markov, Gomez or Subban to gain the zone….I think he should dress again though depending on the severity of his off ice issues that we’ll never really be made aware of.  Since his call up he has replaced Gomez as our best guy at gaining the zone and establishing the setup on the pp. I think if Subban has been behaving then the door has been opened to play him as both Weber and Picard made some pretty bad decisions the other night (they got away with but were lucky to) and the pp struggled…so the door is open if PK has earned his spot again.

34. Gormdog says:

Unless i missed somethign it was much more dissapointment than it was concern.

What concerns me is that during the draft there were analysts saying he was possibly the most NHL ready defenseman available.

I found that to be patently untrue when i saw him play – he’s a tall and suprisingly lanky project who, despite all the laurels i heard bestowed upon him, skates more like a Hal Gill than a Tyler Myers.

35. smiler2729 says:

Are you serious?? It was a slip of the tongue! Darren Pang meant to say “the right way” and it came out “the white way”. Do you never get tongue tied? Everybody gets tongue tied, especially when delivering a monologue on a time limit in his TV situation. His embarrassment was because Subban is black and it would perceived the way you perceived it. Move on, Darren Pang is one of the good guys.

36. rocketsglare says:

A win against Detroit this Friday night would certainly enhance the team’s standing in the NHL, but I

would prefer a win against the Maple Leafs on Saturday night, because of the significance of a win over

a division rival. If you had a choice of either a win over Detroit or Toronto, which win would you choose

and why?

37. SmartDog says:

Unless there’s real evidence that he’s racist and I’m pretty sure there isn’t, it was a slip, one anyone can make.

It’s a word. Think of the associations we have to ‘white’ in the Western world – white is clean, pure, innocent (blank slate)… all positive.  Black is dark, scary, negative, “he was in a black mood”… there are other associations that line up behind his point besides the idea that even in the back of his mind was some sort of racist hint.

There’s also a body of research that shows that people – even people from ALL racical backgrounds – more easily make a connection between a picture of a black person and negative things like guns and drugs and theft, etc., than they do with pictures of white-cuacausians.  It’s an undercurrent in our society, brought out through tv, movies, etc…  It’s in us like the toxins in our water.  We all have it…. point is to do our best to make sure that prejudices of any kind don’t interfere with our thinking or treatment of other people.

And making more of this than it was is a negative thing, not a positive.

38. habsruleworld says:

“Pierre Durocher on PK”  Good read,,,,

PK reminds me of Bart Simpson with a saucepan on his own head as he trips around while yelling and banging soup spoons against the saucepan on his own head, completely unreachable by those around him,

Let’s get him on ritalin and back in  the line up!

39. Gormdog says:

Do people actually believe this?!?

I’ve seen a whole bunch of posts talking racism… Are any of you guys for real?

Clearly just an innocent mistake. There is a difference a slip of the tongue, on two very similar words, when discussing two special players who are of different “colors’.

Just because it INVOLVES race, doesn’t make it racism.

40. notbigbird says:

As a guy who make “slips-of-the-tongue” of all kinds, it is my opinion that’s all it was. It’s not Freudian either. As one person put it at the time, it’s more of a tongue-twister sort of thing.

41. Chuck says:

Richard sat. Lafleur sat. Price sat. Surely then, PK’s not above sitting, too. The kid will be fine.

Centre Hice: my last Canadiens game at the Forum

42. Gormdog says:

Hey Krob how are you handling the Subbie sitting?

Told ya we would beat up on NJ with or without PK, but even now I agree it’s a bit much. Theres a difference between sending a message and embarassing our future #1 D. Especially annoying since i went to the Ottawa game and didn’t get to see him live (grr) and although we won it was a pretty tame time considering my last 3 visits to the bell center were Habs PLayoff wins (Halak 50 save performance v Was, game 7 v pitt shown in house, our only win against philly lol) so needless to say the intensity wasn’t quite there.

The problem is, the team has played well, but now, through Martin’s win and your in system, someone will end up feeling undeservedly “demoted”. Even without Boyd in place of Gomez and 7 D dressed, whoever takes that first shift on the 4th line becomes the odd man out (assuming it isnt PK) and will likely be annoyed. Especially with a real tough red wings game coming up, one of those “time to proove what we have” kind of game, makes me want PK in the lineup even more, but, makes it that much more of an insult to whomever he replaces.

Sticky situation. Any idea if Subban can play the left side maybe paired with weber to give Picard a rest?

43. Chuck says:

It’s also too easy to jump to conclusions nowadays.

Centre Hice: my last Canadiens game at the Forum

44. SmartDog says:

45. Tighthead says:

I’ve been tuned out for a few days – has there been any concern with Tinordi not getting the invite to the US junior camp?

46. SmartDog says:

I knew someone was going to take me to task for that.

I’m absolutely not saying it based on anything Cherry or Richards (who is a big whiner) says.  But the French media here has a story about some veterans approaching Martin saying PK needs to take a step back in the dressing room…. and while it might not be true, it has more credibility, and also would explain why he’s sitting in the first place, which is a bit of a mystery considering his talent.

And no, this still doesn’t make Richards or Cherry right. It’s a dressing room thing here with a rookie. As far as I’m concerned, he can piss off Crosby and Richards as much as he wants. but if he’s pissing off our own guys… well, that’s a problem.

One summer I was tree planing and we used to go into town and stay in a hotel room on our days off – four of us to a room. There was this one kid – helluva planter – from somewhere in the woods in BC and he had NO sense of quiet to him. He’d wake up at 6 am in the hotel and start jumping around ready for the day! while we all tried to sleep in on this rare opportunity.  Took us a month to teach him to be quiet in the mornings when everyone else was sleeping 5 feet from him. Totally new concept to him.  I wonder if it’s a new concept to PK that he shouldn’t be one of the loudest voices in the room – any room.  Know what I mean?   I love the kid and hope it doesn’t kill one microgram of the passion he brings to the ice… but I could see this lesson needing to be learned.  Cami calls him “Prime Time” for a reason.

47. Julie H says:

Awesome. Thanks for putting a smile on my face this morning.

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

48. badbalance says:

What the hell is up with Pang saying that “white way” remark about Subbie. Sure it was not racist, sure he jsut slipped, every other hockey players he talks about, he never says “white” instead of “right”. So while he was saying that, something racist was going through his head for sure. It’s too easy to apologize nowadays…

49. krob1000 says:

Let’s all not forget that come playoff time we can carry 5 taxi squad guys instead of 3 if you have the cap space so Paciroetty will liekly be around and an option come real go time…they’ll probably call him up earlier to give him a trial run.  The space also means we can roll the dice on a gritty vet winger or tough dman and if things don’t work out…again this extra roster room gives us flexibilty in the playoffs and teh ability to not upset team chemistry if need be depending onwhat we could give up to acquire this/these players.

50. Gormdog says:

The magical duo developing right in front of our eyes – Ben & Eller !

51. Habscat says:

1. No. We have no chance to re-sign him, and as awesome as he is, we need toughness up front, IMO. The guy I would go after on that list in Langenbrunner. He stand in front of the net and does everything tough.

2. See above. However, I would love for us to get Ryan Clowe or Eric Cole

3. Nope. Ill pass on Kaberle. No grit, a career environment of losing and lack of important game experience.

4. I like the swaggar

5. Just play our game. I would put Subban in for Spacek if I had to

52. Rice Miller says:

4) Because Sidney Crosby, Mike Richards and Don Cherry say so? Sorry, I think I’ll make my own opinion on PK’s disposition and really, even if he is mouthy, I’d rather have a kid with a bit of back bone, rather than a shinking violet.

I find it funny how Crosby and Richards complaints about PK’s verve came after the Habs gave both of their teams a bit of a drubbing, as for Cherry, the guy is such a homer he pisses blue maple leafs, who cares what he says?

53. notbigbird says:

1. There are players that I’d be loathe to part with unless the new guy fit into our plans beyond the end of the year. For example: to skip to #3, I could see going after Kaberle if they weren’t going to bring back Markov and if they were going to be able to keep him (Kaberle). MaxPac is one guy whom I’ve always been high on, and I really don’t want to see him traded or at least not for a rental. He would be the guy that would be in demand though.

4. Soobie may or may not be a loudmouth, but I think he is eminently teachable. There’s a fine line to be walked.

54. J_P says:

1. If Gomez is out for a while than I would say make the deal.  If we didnt have scott gomez to begin with, than trying to get richards is a no brainer.  Richards is an obvious upgrade over gomez, but fact of the matter is that we are stuck with gomez no matter what.  I just dont see how the habs could fit richards in, and classically, high impact rentals dont help win championships.  Maxpac, desharnais and a first is a lot to give up for someone who is a guaranteed rental (there is no way we can afford to keep richards beyond this season…..Gomez contract strikes again!).

2.  I would say a sandpaper forward would be ideal, but it has to be a sandpaper forward with skill.  Ideally a Ryan Clowe or a Scott Hartnell would be exactly what the habs need, but they are going to be hard to acquire.

3. I wouldnt have any issues making a deal with burke if its the right deal.  I would also have no problem shipping him a first rounder for kaberle.  Only thing is, Burke wont accept boyd/white + a first for kaberle, he’ll want more.  The man is proud enough and stubborn enough to not trade kaberle, even though he is a pending UFA, just because he doesnt like the return he is getting and wants to make a point.

4.  Rookie learning the stuff he needs to learn to be successful in the bigs.  Kid’s got a great attitude, so no SK or Mikhail Grabovski worries here.

5.  Stick to the system, and the game plan.  Habs have shown that they can match-up to any team in the league.  Play your game, and work on getting detroit off of theirs.

55. Matt_in_TO says:

1 – I wouldn’t give up that much.  I’m not one of these “mortgage the future / win now” kind of guys.  That’s also a lot to give up for a rental.  He’s a UFA at the end of the year and I don’t think we can take on another $7+ million contract.  Richards has a NTC as well so who’s to say that even if a deal could be reached, he wants to leave Dallas who are having a pretty good start to the season.

2 – I think we’ve got guys already who can QB the PP.  Not at the same level as Markov but I think they can do the job.  We could probably use a little more grit but I honestly don’t know who we could go out and get.  I’d like a guy like Steve Ott.

3 – Never.  Kaberle’s value is overrated and Burke’s asking price is way too much.  There’s a reason he wasn’t moved during the summer when is NTC wasn’t active.

4 – PK is this year’s Price.  He’ll be fine.

5 – A little bit of A and a little bit of B.  I think if Gomez can’t go, I’d move Weber up to the 4th line and put PK back there.  To me that’s better than inserting Boyd and letting PK sit.

– In Price We Trust

56. JohnBellyful says:

In the spirit  of  — hey, can we identify the Event That Dare Not Speak Its Name in polite company? Sure you can, this is HIO, where the company has never been accused of being polite. Anyways, in the spirit of CHRISTMAS, and to put everyone in a festive mood, I offer this modern rendering of a traditional English carol (BTW, the deity referred to in verse is the Hockey God, so as not to offend the deeply religious):

God rest ye, merry Habitants
    Let nothing you dismay
    Remember Price, your saviour
    Was reborn yesterday
    To make the saves at even strength
    And on Satan’s power play
    O tidings of comfort and joy,
    Comfort and joy
    O tidings of comfort and joy

In Montreal, at Centre Bell
    The Flying French have flown
    Replaced by Plex, and other Czechs
    And Pyatt, Cammy, Moen
    (Yanks, Canucks, a Dane, a Swiss
    And just three francophone)
    O tidings of comfort and joy,
    Comfort and joy
    O tidings of comfort and joy.

To God our Heavenly Father
    We haven’t asked for much
    But it would help if Gomez could
    Regain his scoring touch
    And lead the way to victory
    And other stuff and such
    O tidings of comfort and joy,
    Comfort and joy
    O tidings of comfort and joy.

“He’ll grant your prayer,” the Angel said.
    Your hopes He won’t disrupt
    But even He can’t guarantee
    That Martin won’t mess up
    But chances are you’ll get your wish
    And win the Stanley Cup
    O tidings of comfort and joy,
    Comfort and joy
    O tidings of comfort and joy.

— “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” —

57. smiler2729 says:

1. I’ve envisioned Brad Richards as a Hab since he was one of those Bolts thta burned Montreal in the ’04 playoff, of course, I’ve also envisioned Martin St.Louis and Vinny Lecavalier in Hab colours too…

2. Top 6 forward type, I’d like Alex Burrows, grinder type, Pascal Dupuis, PPQB, believe it or not, Cam Barker, wasted in Minnesota…

3. I’d never trade with Toronto, besides they really have squat…

4. Subban’s just got to mature, like Price did, let’s not make another mountain out of a mole hill…

5. I see the Habs suffocating the neutral zone in Detroit and either winning a 2-1 squeaker or stinking it out losing 4-1… and then smacking the Laffs.

58. Chuck says:

I think that he put it through Google Repeater.

Centre Hice: my last Canadiens game at the Forum

59. Chuck says:

The folks in Toronto have a hard enough time trying to grasp the concept that the Leafs suck, never mind objective analysis of another team.

Centre Hice: my last Canadiens game at the Forum

60. SmartDog says:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I liked Cherry when he was younger and even his anti-European thing seemed more Canadian-patriotic and funny than anything… but he’s just getting more and more narrow-minded and less and less fun.  He’s a serious old crank now. Time to pull the plug.

Maybe he should run for office.  Mayor of Toronto’s taken, how about mayor of Kingson?. …. ummm… bad idea. There’s a university there… too many intellectual-pinko-whatevers.

61. SmartDog says:

1. Of Godin’s 5 ‘players of interest’ Richards stands out as the one who most obviously would be a step up for the team (Kaberle too but I’ll get to him).  The asking price might be steep though… so…. if you are PG, would you trade MaxPac, Desharnais, and a first rounder if it would secure Richards for our playoff run?

2. My (absolutely debatable) view is that if we can’t bring in a Richards, the next best thing would be either a power play QB or a sandpaper forward. In terms of the latter… who’s out there that you like?  Or is our team tough enough now?

3. ….and speaking of Power Play QB’s, Kaberle is the obvious best on the market.  Would you even consider a deal with Burkie?  Would you give up our first round pick in 2010 and Boyd. How about our first rounder and White (lots of truculence)?

4. Soooooobbbbeeeeeee!!!  Sounds like Soobie is a bit of a loudmouth… speculation but there seems to be something there. Is it a REAL problem long-term or just  a rookie learning stuff he needs to learn about playing in the bigs?

5. Heading into Detroit, if you are JM, do you: a) tell your team that only strong team play is going to beat these guys, b) put Soobie in the line-up at the last minute to distract the Red Wings who’ll be thinking (is this the guy that the media keeps talking about?), or c) ask Carbo for his lucky tie.

62. joshua94k says:

It is important to be there early. Last September I went for the 11:15 tour and was told that the tour would be from 12:00-1:00pm. However since the Habs Hall of Fame is also there, I visited that before the tour. The timings may not be exact as what is posted and sometimes different things are told on the phone. But if you go early, there is a lot to see with the Bell Centre Tour, Hall of Fame, Centennial Plaza, Canadiens Boutique, coffee shops, restaurants etc. One can spend hours there and there is a lot to see and do.

63. Matt_in_TO says:

I gave up listening to the Fan when that loud mouth, aboxious, anti-Quebec asshole Andrew Krystal showed up.

– In Price We Trust

64. LA Loyalist says:

I think it’s funny that they don’t get the contradiction that Habs suck, but hey, we’ll take Poo or The Open-Faced sandwich off your hands…

65. Kappy says:

Hi Stephen,

I was just in Montreal for a game this past Saturday.  I was unable to take the tour because it was a matinee game and they do not do tours when there is a matinee because the players are using the dressing room when the tour would be going on.  However we did go to the Habs Museum/Hall of Fame, which is also at the Bell Centre.  It is $15 if you have tickets to the game if not I think it is $20.  The museum has tons of artifacts and information on our favourite team.  It is well worth the money and I would recommend checking it out.

66. avatar_58 says:

For god SAKES we don’t need another D…..we have enough

67. smiler2729 says:

Listening to Fan590 out of Toronto yesterday at noon, the Hockey Central ding-dongs were discussing ad nauseum the Habs and other than Doug MacLean, they don’t think the team is for real. “The lack of a top 6 forward”, “the aging defence”, “is Price a great goalie or just a goalie playing great”, blah blah blah.

They did, of course, start in on replacing Markov and, of course, Tomas Kaberle’s their answer, and, of course, the Habs would have to part with a ton for this guy (they mentioned Pouliot or Eller)… F***, I hate the Leafs, I hate their media, I hate their players, Tomas Kaberle’s an overrated loser that they can’t trade anywhere when that no-trade window he has opens in the summer.

I hope Montreal literally embarrasses Toronto on the national stage Saturday, y’know, like 7-0 or something.

68. Julie H says:

An exerpt from the Bell Centre FAQ: “The Centre Bell’s guided tours are available Monday through Sunday, from 9:45 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. in French, as well as from 11:15 a.m. and 2:45 p.m. in English. For additional information please visit our Guided tour page or for reservations, please call us at 514-925-5656 or 1-800-363-3723.”

69. smiler2729 says:

It’s Richards, there’s an ‘s’, not until he suits up for les Canadiens can we drop the ‘s’, don’t jump the gun.

70. SmartDog says:

Did you put your post through the Google translation machine too?

71. SeriousFan09 says:

Here’s the thing though, Dan Chorra brings a prejudiced view that is a joke to his ‘fatherly wisdom’ to the ‘kids out there’. When is the last time he spoke ill of a Leafs player, or a Bruins player like he’s gone after Subban in broadcast after broadcast? Did he really know what Subban was like (Considering his endearment towards any Habs player is ‘comically forgetting their names’) or was he just jawing because he didn’t like the idea of a “Good Ontario Boy” playing for the Habs instead of his precious Loafs or Ruins? He’s spent more time targeting Subban’s mouth than he did on Mike Richards trying to kill David Booth.

Tired of his ridiculous bigotry and obvious favouritism leading him to go on these rants and go “Ha ha, I was RIGHT” and never admit when he was wrong, such as the Leafs going for the playoffs in one of his first Coach’s Corner this year or a European-born and trained captain like Nick Lidstrom WINNING the Cup.

Measure of a man is one who can admit when he can admit he’s wrong so I find Danny Boy wanting in terms of character.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

CB – It was basically a salary dump by Tampa that brought Richards to Dallas.  Going the other way were Mike Smith, Jussi Jokinen, a 4th rounder and (drum roll, please) Jeff Halpern!

73. VancouverHab says:

M. Godin writes (pardon my wooden translation) “why fix what isn’t broken” and warns against “menacing the beautiful equilibrium that has been installed in the dresssing room.”

M. Durocher (who looks in his picture like a man one immediately wants to like, trust & respect) gives background details of the situation behind the scratching of P.K. which reveal that an intemperate and self-absorbed side of the young man’s s personality have had an angering and upsetting effects on established and veteran players.

So, we learn that The two French-media articles linked both give a revealing picture into the present success of the Habs, and wrap up the two big points of contention on H-I/O.

So, we can know that (a.) our present success is based on a deliberate architecture [by Bob Gainey] of veteran players who work together in harmony with a cup-winning mentality that should not not be disrupted (so Scott Gomez is not nor should he be going anywhere); and (b.) a certain HNIC Personality WHom We Should Not Here Name was much more knowledgeable and insightful about P.K. Subban than his lock-step abusers here on H-I/O (pro & amateur alike.)

74. CanadienBoy says:

What did Dallas give up for Richard ,sure like him but not at all cost.

75. stephen says:

I am hopeful that someone can help me with information about Bell Centre tours. I understand many of you have taken the tour as part of your summit activities, so I wonder if somebody could let me know how they work exactly.

Just looking for details on where you get to go and what you get to see as part of the tour. Also, is the tour different if you are there on a game day?

Thanks very much for any help!