No Habs hockey tonight

Carey Price compares a 1965 Victoriaville Pro, a “two-by-four” once used by former Canadien Denis DeJordy, with his own Reebok 11K. Strangely, Price says he’s keeping his own stick.
Peter McCabe, Gazette

Seems weird, eh?

So we get another day of P.K. Subban speculation and deepening mystery on Scott Gomez as the Canadiens prepare for their Friday-Saturday road games.

The Canadiens practice at noon at Brossard, then fly to Windsor at 3 pm and bus to Detroit for tomorrow’s tilt in the Motor City. We’ll learn more today when Jacques Martin enlightens us about Gomez’s condition and gives us the play-by-play of Andrei Markov’s surgery yesterday.

Details to come here, and via Twitter with Dave Stubbs.

• Gomez day-to-day, players visit sick kids

Carey Price shooting to score

• Pat Hickey on the tough upcoming schedule

Pierre Durocher on P.K.

• Marc Antoine Godin on five players who might interest the Canadiens

Canadiens footage from the early days of colour TV

Canadiens fourth in SI power rankings

1. Kappy says:

1.  No. But if he could be signed long term then definetly YES.  Which brings up a good question who would you sign Richards or Markov?  And how much more would Richards be?  Can you imagine Richards, Pleks, Eller, Gomez as are centers…

2. I would like a Bertuzzi, Franzen type player, but there is not to many of them around and they all seem to play for the same team..  Maybe Langenbrunner in the short term and I can’t see NJ wanting more then a pick or a prospect in return

3. I would take Kaberle for maybe Desharnies (because unfortunatly I don’t think he will ever crack or lineup because of his size) and a 2nd or 3rd rounder.  Kaberle is a poor mans Markov.

4. Pearnel will be fine.  He is just a kid being a kid.  He reminds me of Ken Griffy Jr. when he came up to the big leagues, always smilin and havin fun.  Is that sooo bad. I will quote the Joker “Why so serious?”.  He will be back soon and play better then ever.

5. If we play are game and come out hard for 3 periods we will beat Detroit

2. habs365 says:

Hope you get well soon

3. 123456 says:

attention HIO readers and posters – the following it a joke. it is only a joke. in the event of a real racist comment you will be notified where to tune into to leave comments. (that was supposed to be similar to the emergency broadcast system messages i saw on TV as a child)

anyway, panger said “white” instead or “right”. maybe he is not a racist at all – rather he is part asain and really was saying “right”.

4. punkster says:

Whoa, talk about making more out of something than it is. If anyone thinks he sitting just ” because he made a couple of mistakes” and that soon he’ll “request a trade”, give your head a shake.

***All You Need Is Love***

5. SmartDog says:

I thought it was more like you hide in the woods and wait to see which way the battle is going before you fire your muskets.

——-

6. Mats Naslund says:

I think there is still reason for excitement. The Habs weren’t the only team trying to land him. 3 years from now when he’s 21-22 and he’s 6’6 230-240 and he’s learned how to use his natural abilities we probably won’t be worried about his slow start in London! Maybe he’s an O’B in the end. Who knows. A pretty good gamble though.

7. Mats Naslund says:

Detroit. I want the Habs to beat the best. Plus I’ll be there lol.

They’ll likely beat the Laughs anyway.

8. Mattyleg says:

Yet another reason to get rid of the stupid freakin’ shootout.

What happens when a goalie lets in 3 shootout-shots, and loses the shootout 3-2?

The team gets ONE goal against?? How can they justify those ‘statistics’??

…then again, this is the league whose schedule… blegh, don’t even get me started.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. punkster says:

A sort of Evelyn Waugh approach to tabloid sports writing? Then I approve.

***All You Need Is Love***

10. habs365 says:

forget about what pang said..you should be more concerned about pk playing than this bs..you’re trying to make more out of it than it is..that’s all we need to hear on this site for the next 3months.get pk back playing..they’re all pissed off with pk, cause he has more energy than the rest of the team..if they all came to play every night like pk..we’d be unreachable in the standings..our best defenseman sitting out because he has too much energy..can’t be..because he made a couple of mistakes..there’s not one player on this team that hasn’t made a couple of mistakes or they wouldn’t have loss 8 games..look at it anyway you want..mistakes is the reason for a loss..so, pg and jm don’t blame pk..soon he’ll have taken enough of your bs and request a trade and you will lose the best young dman the Habs have had since markov……

11. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

They do appear in total goals against. The goals for/against is just a sum of the final score of each game. Bruins goalies have let in 47 goals, there have been 2 empty-netters, and they lost by shoot-out 3 times. It shows up as 52 goals against, but really it’s only 49.

12. twocents says:

The odd thing is that in the standing data the booins are listed as having 52 goals against, but in team stats, under goals against, they only list 49, which divided by 26 is 1.88. So what accounts for the difference?

13. Mattyleg says:

’tis truly the noblest of professions…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

14. Gormdog says:

Not so much “nhl ready” as more the closest one who could step in and not look out of place.

I guess the Habs trading up got me excited and overhyped him in my eyes.

15. Mattyleg says:

I don’t believe that shootout goals appear anywhere in statistics.

Except for how many shootout goals players have scored, but that’s just trivia.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

16. Mattyleg says:

I imagine it has to do with overtime games.

GAA is usually figured out by minutes, not games. So a goalie that has 2 ga in an overtime game ends up with something like 1.88.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

17. Matt_in_TO says:

Toronto because I live in the middle of leaf nation

– In Price We Trust

18. Mike Boone says:

That’s what columnists do. The classic definition of our role: After the battle has been fought and the issue decided, columnists come down from the hills to shoot the wounded.

19. Mats Naslund says:

Tinordi has had a rough start in London – but I’m not sure there is all that much to be worried about. The USA has one of the deepest talent pools available for the juniors, and Tinordi is still available to play next year (not that his play this year warrants a spot). Tinordi has struggled and so has the rest of his team. He is a -6 currently which isn’t good, but is nowhere near the worst. I suspect a full year in the OHL with the Hunters is exactly what he needs. If he’s still struggling this time next season there might be reason for concern. Anyone who thought he was “NHL ready” at the draft was maybe on drugs.. He’ll take time (like everyone else), and I still think he’ll be an NHL defenseman. You can teach a guy to be a good defender, but you can’t teach size.

20. Castor says:

The part that made me realize that it was completely a slip and not anything else was when he apologized and said “I have a sick to my stomach feeling” or something like that. You can tell he was dead serious and he felt horrible. I know that feeling. A few years ago I congratulated a woman who was pregnant because she looked thinner. With this huge smile on my face “Congrats!”

Only to find out an hour later that she lost the baby.
    That sick feeling has stayed with me and it was four years ago. I apologized too. An honest mistake but I still feel sick when I think about it.

21. punkster says:

Dorocher’s article is a bit strange. On one hand he admits he may have been wrong when he disagreed with benching PK. Then he gives Martin credit for the way he handles the situation and then alludes to trouble in the room because of PKs attitude or what he calls flamboyance.

But in the end he says “Sauf qu’il doit aussi réaliser qu’il n’a pas affaire à un joueur comme les autres en Subban, qu’on voit comme un futur défenseur étoile dans la Ligue nationale.” My French is weak but he seems to be scolding Martin, saying Martin must realize he is not dealing with just any player but a future NHL star. I find this statement, if I have read it correcftly, to be somewhat arrogant on Durocher’s part. Suggesting that he, Durocher, knows more about the situation and more about coaching than Martin. Assuming he can give Martin suggestions on how to handle players.

Am I reading too much into his comment?

***All You Need Is Love***

22. JohnBellyful says:

It’s how long he continues sitting that becomes a real concern. If it’s because the team is winning without him in the lineup, I suppose that’s a valid argument but one has to wonder what is the root of the problem. BTW, really enjoyed your reminiscing about making the trip to the forum. I only got to see the Habs play once at home and it also was against Minnesota. If memory serves, the Canadiens won 3-0. Unfortunately, that’s about all I remember (and I wasn’t even drinking!). The current team is producing its own share of memorable moments. For us and younger generations.

23. Gormdog says:

Theres a difference between “being fine” and “being better for it”.

If he’s still sitting in Toronto, it becomes a huge issue. For now i’ll leave it to JM’s winning lineup formula.

24. Gormdog says:

I noticed in the past few games, despite playing well, the Weber Picard pairing got quite often hemmed into their own end.

It sucks but i  feel like JM is not going to use him against Detroit. It’s win win for JM – Either we beat Detroit(and then sits him in toronto which would, to me, show that this is the ultimate punishment for something PK did or is percieved to have done), or, we Lose to Detroit and he’s justified in putting PK back in and no longer having to play lineup chicken anymore.

25. ShangaDoo says:

Hey, can we get a “like” button already?

SmartDog, I agree with you 100%. We all have prejudices but it is how we handle them. My favorite post regarding this whole hoopla.

Mistakes happen, he’s human.

“They say you can’t buy experience,and it’s really true.” -Carey Price

26. twocents says:

Likely OT.

I believe the formula is goals/(minutes played/60). That’s how it works for tenders.

It could also be because SO goals might not count in the team goals against average, but show up in total goals against numbers.

27. Rice Miller says:

I totally agree, Dawg, although sometimes I am leary when I hear that the ‘Allo Police’ media is dropping insider info on dressing room dynamics. I actually like the fact that Richards and Crosby have stated that PK is getting under their skin. it just tells me he’s doing his job. If PK was wearing blue, Cherry would be honoring him as the second coming.

I think you said it all in your “passion he brings to the ice” comment. As for the benching, in my opinion, it had everything to do with offensive zone pinching late in a game with a 3-2 lead, rather than his mouth or his verve.

He will be lacing up tomorrow night and he will be more respective of his defensive zone responsibilities. This may be the incentive he needed to push him higher in his attempt for the Calder.

28. Gormdog says:

Detroit.

First and foremost I want to know how we look against the best. We could win the stanley cup for the next 7 years straight and still go .500 against the Leafs. Just the way the Habs roll.

Secondly and not as foremost, I want Toronto to get POINTS. I can’t believe that the Leafs are so bad that i’m cheering for them, Boston will indirectly lose from the Leafs win. Just the way the Bruins roll.

Thirdly and maybe slightly more foremost than the second point, is player protection. If we beat the Leafs, there is little doubt in my mind that in the dwindling minutes Rosehill or some other equivalent douchebag plows Gio into the boards head first. Just the way the Leafs roll.

29. Jordio-oh says:

I usually catch the Hockey Central at noon on the Fan590, one or two days a week, if i have my lunch at my desk and its testing sometimes, for sure. The absolute worst is when the fans call in and make suggestions. Some idiot leaf fan called in yesterday and said the Habs had nothing of interest to the Leafs or nothing they could use, so he suggested Colton Gillies and a 2nd round pick from the Wild for Kaberle. At least Kypreos, MacLean and Brady had the berries to step up and tell that guy he was crazy if he thought montreal had nothing to offer. Personally, i don’t want Kaberle and i don’t find it frusterating how moronic (and in denial) most leafs are; i just find it funny and sad.

30. JF says:

Boston has played 26 games and given up 52 goals.  This makes their G/A 2, right?  But on the NHL team stats page, their G/A is given as 1.88.  Can someone explain this?

I would want Toronto to win so that it would decrease Boston’s chances of getting Larsson or Couturier in the entry draft this summer.  That also means we would beat Detroit which would be a feather in our cap (helmet?).

32. solomio says:

I thought that was ” hooking ” ?!

33. krob1000 says:

Was absolutely pissed, been ranting and raving like a lunatic…lol….seriously though I was pretty ticked  until all of this off ice stuff was told.  I didn’t think his on ice play was deserving and still don’t but I was unaware of this other crap happening.  I still think he is our best dman right now and the instant he dresses again we are a better team …  if he is upsetting guys on other teams I really don’t care and actually encourage it…. but if it is affecting our dressing room …diff’t story.  Given our pp woes the other night with no Markov, Gomez or Subban to gain the zone….I think he should dress again though depending on the severity of his off ice issues that we’ll never really be made aware of.  Since his call up he has replaced Gomez as our best guy at gaining the zone and establishing the setup on the pp. I think if Subban has been behaving then the door has been opened to play him as both Weber and Picard made some pretty bad decisions the other night (they got away with but were lucky to) and the pp struggled…so the door is open if PK has earned his spot again.

34. Gormdog says:

Unless i missed somethign it was much more dissapointment than it was concern.

What concerns me is that during the draft there were analysts saying he was possibly the most NHL ready defenseman available.

I found that to be patently untrue when i saw him play – he’s a tall and suprisingly lanky project who, despite all the laurels i heard bestowed upon him, skates more like a Hal Gill than a Tyler Myers.

35. smiler2729 says:

Are you serious?? It was a slip of the tongue! Darren Pang meant to say “the right way” and it came out “the white way”. Do you never get tongue tied? Everybody gets tongue tied, especially when delivering a monologue on a time limit in his TV situation. His embarrassment was because Subban is black and it would perceived the way you perceived it. Move on, Darren Pang is one of the good guys.

36. rocketsglare says:

A win against Detroit this Friday night would certainly enhance the team’s standing in the NHL, but I

would prefer a win against the Maple Leafs on Saturday night, because of the significance of a win over

a division rival. If you had a choice of either a win over Detroit or Toronto, which win would you choose

and why?

37. SmartDog says:

Unless there’s real evidence that he’s racist and I’m pretty sure there isn’t, it was a slip, one anyone can make.

It’s a word. Think of the associations we have to ‘white’ in the Western world – white is clean, pure, innocent (blank slate)… all positive.  Black is dark, scary, negative, “he was in a black mood”… there are other associations that line up behind his point besides the idea that even in the back of his mind was some sort of racist hint.

There’s also a body of research that shows that people – even people from ALL racical backgrounds – more easily make a connection between a picture of a black person and negative things like guns and drugs and theft, etc., than they do with pictures of white-cuacausians.  It’s an undercurrent in our society, brought out through tv, movies, etc…  It’s in us like the toxins in our water.  We all have it…. point is to do our best to make sure that prejudices of any kind don’t interfere with our thinking or treatment of other people.

And making more of this than it was is a negative thing, not a positive.

——-

38. habsruleworld says:

“Pierre Durocher on PK”  Good read,,,,

PK reminds me of Bart Simpson with a saucepan on his own head as he trips around while yelling and banging soup spoons against the saucepan on his own head, completely unreachable by those around him,

Let’s get him on ritalin and back in  the line up!

39. Gormdog says:

Do people actually believe this?!?

I’ve seen a whole bunch of posts talking racism… Are any of you guys for real?

Clearly just an innocent mistake. There is a difference a slip of the tongue, on two very similar words, when discussing two special players who are of different “colors’.

Just because it INVOLVES race, doesn’t make it racism.

40. notbigbird says:

As a guy who make “slips-of-the-tongue” of all kinds, it is my opinion that’s all it was. It’s not Freudian either. As one person put it at the time, it’s more of a tongue-twister sort of thing.

41. Chuck says:

Richard sat. Lafleur sat. Price sat. Surely then, PK’s not above sitting, too. The kid will be fine.

Centre Hice: my last Canadiens game at the Forum

42. Gormdog says:

Hey Krob how are you handling the Subbie sitting?

Told ya we would beat up on NJ with or without PK, but even now I agree it’s a bit much. Theres a difference between sending a message and embarassing our future #1 D. Especially annoying since i went to the Ottawa game and didn’t get to see him live (grr) and although we won it was a pretty tame time considering my last 3 visits to the bell center were Habs PLayoff wins (Halak 50 save performance v Was, game 7 v pitt shown in house, our only win against philly lol) so needless to say the intensity wasn’t quite there.

The problem is, the team has played well, but now, through Martin’s win and your in system, someone will end up feeling undeservedly “demoted”. Even without Boyd in place of Gomez and 7 D dressed, whoever takes that first shift on the 4th line becomes the odd man out (assuming it isnt PK) and will likely be annoyed. Especially with a real tough red wings game coming up, one of those “time to proove what we have” kind of game, makes me want PK in the lineup even more, but, makes it that much more of an insult to whomever he replaces.

Sticky situation. Any idea if Subban can play the left side maybe paired with weber to give Picard a rest?

43. Chuck says:

It’s also too easy to jump to conclusions nowadays.

Centre Hice: my last Canadiens game at the Forum

44. SmartDog says:

——-

45. Tighthead says:

I’ve been tuned out for a few days – has there been any concern with Tinordi not getting the invite to the US junior camp?

46. SmartDog says:

I knew someone was going to take me to task for that.

I’m absolutely not saying it based on anything Cherry or Richards (who is a big whiner) says.  But the French media here has a story about some veterans approaching Martin saying PK needs to take a step back in the dressing room…. and while it might not be true, it has more credibility, and also would explain why he’s sitting in the first place, which is a bit of a mystery considering his talent.

And no, this still doesn’t make Richards or Cherry right. It’s a dressing room thing here with a rookie. As far as I’m concerned, he can piss off Crosby and Richards as much as he wants. but if he’s pissing off our own guys… well, that’s a problem.

One summer I was tree planing and we used to go into town and stay in a hotel room on our days off – four of us to a room. There was this one kid – helluva planter – from somewhere in the woods in BC and he had NO sense of quiet to him. He’d wake up at 6 am in the hotel and start jumping around ready for the day! while we all tried to sleep in on this rare opportunity.  Took us a month to teach him to be quiet in the mornings when everyone else was sleeping 5 feet from him. Totally new concept to him.  I wonder if it’s a new concept to PK that he shouldn’t be one of the loudest voices in the room – any room.  Know what I mean?   I love the kid and hope it doesn’t kill one microgram of the passion he brings to the ice… but I could see this lesson needing to be learned.  Cami calls him “Prime Time” for a reason.

——-

47. Julie H says:

Awesome. Thanks for putting a smile on my face this morning.

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

48. badbalance says:

What the hell is up with Pang saying that “white way” remark about Subbie. Sure it was not racist, sure he jsut slipped, every other hockey players he talks about, he never says “white” instead of “right”. So while he was saying that, something racist was going through his head for sure. It’s too easy to apologize nowadays…

49. krob1000 says:

Let’s all not forget that come playoff time we can carry 5 taxi squad guys instead of 3 if you have the cap space so Paciroetty will liekly be around and an option come real go time…they’ll probably call him up earlier to give him a trial run.  The space also means we can roll the dice on a gritty vet winger or tough dman and if things don’t work out…again this extra roster room gives us flexibilty in the playoffs and teh ability to not upset team chemistry if need be depending onwhat we could give up to acquire this/these players.

50. Gormdog says:

The magical duo developing right in front of our eyes – Ben & Eller !

51. Habscat says:

1. No. We have no chance to re-sign him, and as awesome as he is, we need toughness up front, IMO. The guy I would go after on that list in Langenbrunner. He stand in front of the net and does everything tough.

2. See above. However, I would love for us to get Ryan Clowe or Eric Cole

3. Nope. Ill pass on Kaberle. No grit, a career environment of losing and lack of important game experience.

4. I like the swaggar

5. Just play our game. I would put Subban in for Spacek if I had to

http://gushuecards.webs.com/ http://ronthecat.webs.com/

52. Rice Miller says:

4) Because Sidney Crosby, Mike Richards and Don Cherry say so? Sorry, I think I’ll make my own opinion on PK’s disposition and really, even if he is mouthy, I’d rather have a kid with a bit of back bone, rather than a shinking violet.

I find it funny how Crosby and Richards complaints about PK’s verve came after the Habs gave both of their teams a bit of a drubbing, as for Cherry, the guy is such a homer he pisses blue maple leafs, who cares what he says?

53. notbigbird says:

1. There are players that I’d be loathe to part with unless the new guy fit into our plans beyond the end of the year. For example: to skip to #3, I could see going after Kaberle if they weren’t going to bring back Markov and if they were going to be able to keep him (Kaberle). MaxPac is one guy whom I’ve always been high on, and I really don’t want to see him traded or at least not for a rental. He would be the guy that would be in demand though.

4. Soobie may or may not be a loudmouth, but I think he is eminently teachable. There’s a fine line to be walked.

54. J_P says:

1. If Gomez is out for a while than I would say make the deal.  If we didnt have scott gomez to begin with, than trying to get richards is a no brainer.  Richards is an obvious upgrade over gomez, but fact of the matter is that we are stuck with gomez no matter what.  I just dont see how the habs could fit richards in, and classically, high impact rentals dont help win championships.  Maxpac, desharnais and a first is a lot to give up for someone who is a guaranteed rental (there is no way we can afford to keep richards beyond this season…..Gomez contract strikes again!).

2.  I would say a sandpaper forward would be ideal, but it has to be a sandpaper forward with skill.  Ideally a Ryan Clowe or a Scott Hartnell would be exactly what the habs need, but they are going to be hard to acquire.

3. I wouldnt have any issues making a deal with burke if its the right deal.  I would also have no problem shipping him a first rounder for kaberle.  Only thing is, Burke wont accept boyd/white + a first for kaberle, he’ll want more.  The man is proud enough and stubborn enough to not trade kaberle, even though he is a pending UFA, just because he doesnt like the return he is getting and wants to make a point.

4.  Rookie learning the stuff he needs to learn to be successful in the bigs.  Kid’s got a great attitude, so no SK or Mikhail Grabovski worries here.

5.  Stick to the system, and the game plan.  Habs have shown that they can match-up to any team in the league.  Play your game, and work on getting detroit off of theirs.

55. Matt_in_TO says:

1 – I wouldn’t give up that much.  I’m not one of these “mortgage the future / win now” kind of guys.  That’s also a lot to give up for a rental.  He’s a UFA at the end of the year and I don’t think we can take on another $7+ million contract.  Richards has a NTC as well so who’s to say that even if a deal could be reached, he wants to leave Dallas who are having a pretty good start to the season.

2 – I think we’ve got guys already who can QB the PP.  Not at the same level as Markov but I think they can do the job.  We could probably use a little more grit but I honestly don’t know who we could go out and get.  I’d like a guy like Steve Ott.

3 – Never.  Kaberle’s value is overrated and Burke’s asking price is way too much.  There’s a reason he wasn’t moved during the summer when is NTC wasn’t active.

4 – PK is this year’s Price.  He’ll be fine.

5 – A little bit of A and a little bit of B.  I think if Gomez can’t go, I’d move Weber up to the 4th line and put PK back there.  To me that’s better than inserting Boyd and letting PK sit.

- In Price We Trust

56. JohnBellyful says:

In the spirit  of  — hey, can we identify the Event That Dare Not Speak Its Name in polite company? Sure you can, this is HIO, where the company has never been accused of being polite. Anyways, in the spirit of CHRISTMAS, and to put everyone in a festive mood, I offer this modern rendering of a traditional English carol (BTW, the deity referred to in verse is the Hockey God, so as not to offend the deeply religious):

God rest ye, merry Habitants
    Let nothing you dismay
    Remember Price, your saviour
    Was reborn yesterday
    To make the saves at even strength
    And on Satan’s power play
    O tidings of comfort and joy,
    Comfort and joy
    O tidings of comfort and joy

In Montreal, at Centre Bell
    The Flying French have flown
    Replaced by Plex, and other Czechs
    And Pyatt, Cammy, Moen
    (Yanks, Canucks, a Dane, a Swiss
    And just three francophone)
    O tidings of comfort and joy,
    Comfort and joy
    O tidings of comfort and joy.

To God our Heavenly Father
    We haven’t asked for much
    But it would help if Gomez could
    Regain his scoring touch
    And lead the way to victory
    And other stuff and such
    O tidings of comfort and joy,
    Comfort and joy
    O tidings of comfort and joy.

“He’ll grant your prayer,” the Angel said.
    Your hopes He won’t disrupt
    But even He can’t guarantee
    That Martin won’t mess up
    But chances are you’ll get your wish
    And win the Stanley Cup
    O tidings of comfort and joy,
    Comfort and joy
    O tidings of comfort and joy.

— “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” –

57. smiler2729 says:

1. I’ve envisioned Brad Richards as a Hab since he was one of those Bolts thta burned Montreal in the ’04 playoff, of course, I’ve also envisioned Martin St.Louis and Vinny Lecavalier in Hab colours too…

2. Top 6 forward type, I’d like Alex Burrows, grinder type, Pascal Dupuis, PPQB, believe it or not, Cam Barker, wasted in Minnesota…

3. I’d never trade with Toronto, besides they really have squat…

4. Subban’s just got to mature, like Price did, let’s not make another mountain out of a mole hill…

5. I see the Habs suffocating the neutral zone in Detroit and either winning a 2-1 squeaker or stinking it out losing 4-1… and then smacking the Laffs.

58. Chuck says:

I think that he put it through Google Repeater.

Centre Hice: my last Canadiens game at the Forum

59. Chuck says:

The folks in Toronto have a hard enough time trying to grasp the concept that the Leafs suck, never mind objective analysis of another team.

Centre Hice: my last Canadiens game at the Forum

60. SmartDog says:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I liked Cherry when he was younger and even his anti-European thing seemed more Canadian-patriotic and funny than anything… but he’s just getting more and more narrow-minded and less and less fun.  He’s a serious old crank now. Time to pull the plug.

Maybe he should run for office.  Mayor of Toronto’s taken, how about mayor of Kingson?. …. ummm… bad idea. There’s a university there… too many intellectual-pinko-whatevers.

——-

61. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS:

1. Of Godin’s 5 ‘players of interest’ Richards stands out as the one who most obviously would be a step up for the team (Kaberle too but I’ll get to him).  The asking price might be steep though… so…. if you are PG, would you trade MaxPac, Desharnais, and a first rounder if it would secure Richards for our playoff run?

2. My (absolutely debatable) view is that if we can’t bring in a Richards, the next best thing would be either a power play QB or a sandpaper forward. In terms of the latter… who’s out there that you like?  Or is our team tough enough now?

3. ….and speaking of Power Play QB’s, Kaberle is the obvious best on the market.  Would you even consider a deal with Burkie?  Would you give up our first round pick in 2010 and Boyd. How about our first rounder and White (lots of truculence)?

4. Soooooobbbbeeeeeee!!!  Sounds like Soobie is a bit of a loudmouth… speculation but there seems to be something there. Is it a REAL problem long-term or just  a rookie learning stuff he needs to learn about playing in the bigs?

5. Heading into Detroit, if you are JM, do you: a) tell your team that only strong team play is going to beat these guys, b) put Soobie in the line-up at the last minute to distract the Red Wings who’ll be thinking (is this the guy that the media keeps talking about?), or c) ask Carbo for his lucky tie.

SD

——-

62. joshua94k says:

It is important to be there early. Last September I went for the 11:15 tour and was told that the tour would be from 12:00-1:00pm. However since the Habs Hall of Fame is also there, I visited that before the tour. The timings may not be exact as what is posted and sometimes different things are told on the phone. But if you go early, there is a lot to see with the Bell Centre Tour, Hall of Fame, Centennial Plaza, Canadiens Boutique, coffee shops, restaurants etc. One can spend hours there and there is a lot to see and do.

63. Matt_in_TO says:

I gave up listening to the Fan when that loud mouth, aboxious, anti-Quebec asshole Andrew Krystal showed up.

- In Price We Trust

64. LA Loyalist says:

I think it’s funny that they don’t get the contradiction that Habs suck, but hey, we’ll take Poo or The Open-Faced sandwich off your hands…

65. Kappy says:

Hi Stephen,

I was just in Montreal for a game this past Saturday.  I was unable to take the tour because it was a matinee game and they do not do tours when there is a matinee because the players are using the dressing room when the tour would be going on.  However we did go to the Habs Museum/Hall of Fame, which is also at the Bell Centre.  It is $15 if you have tickets to the game if not I think it is $20.  The museum has tons of artifacts and information on our favourite team.  It is well worth the money and I would recommend checking it out.

66. avatar_58 says:

For god SAKES we don’t need another D…..we have enough

67. smiler2729 says:

Listening to Fan590 out of Toronto yesterday at noon, the Hockey Central ding-dongs were discussing ad nauseum the Habs and other than Doug MacLean, they don’t think the team is for real. “The lack of a top 6 forward”, “the aging defence”, “is Price a great goalie or just a goalie playing great”, blah blah blah.

They did, of course, start in on replacing Markov and, of course, Tomas Kaberle’s their answer, and, of course, the Habs would have to part with a ton for this guy (they mentioned Pouliot or Eller)… F***, I hate the Leafs, I hate their media, I hate their players, Tomas Kaberle’s an overrated loser that they can’t trade anywhere when that no-trade window he has opens in the summer.

I hope Montreal literally embarrasses Toronto on the national stage Saturday, y’know, like 7-0 or something.

68. Julie H says:

An exerpt from the Bell Centre FAQ: “The Centre Bell’s guided tours are available Monday through Sunday, from 9:45 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. in French, as well as from 11:15 a.m. and 2:45 p.m. in English. For additional information please visit our Guided tour page or for reservations, please call us at 514-925-5656 or 1-800-363-3723.”

69. smiler2729 says:

It’s Richards, there’s an ‘s’, not until he suits up for les Canadiens can we drop the ‘s’, don’t jump the gun.

70. SmartDog says:

Did you put your post through the Google translation machine too?

——-

71. SeriousFan09 says:

Here’s the thing though, Dan Chorra brings a prejudiced view that is a joke to his ‘fatherly wisdom’ to the ‘kids out there’. When is the last time he spoke ill of a Leafs player, or a Bruins player like he’s gone after Subban in broadcast after broadcast? Did he really know what Subban was like (Considering his endearment towards any Habs player is ‘comically forgetting their names’) or was he just jawing because he didn’t like the idea of a “Good Ontario Boy” playing for the Habs instead of his precious Loafs or Ruins? He’s spent more time targeting Subban’s mouth than he did on Mike Richards trying to kill David Booth.

Tired of his ridiculous bigotry and obvious favouritism leading him to go on these rants and go “Ha ha, I was RIGHT” and never admit when he was wrong, such as the Leafs going for the playoffs in one of his first Coach’s Corner this year or a European-born and trained captain like Nick Lidstrom WINNING the Cup.

Measure of a man is one who can admit when he can admit he’s wrong so I find Danny Boy wanting in terms of character.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

CB – It was basically a salary dump by Tampa that brought Richards to Dallas.  Going the other way were Mike Smith, Jussi Jokinen, a 4th rounder and (drum roll, please) Jeff Halpern!

73. VancouverHab says:

M. Godin writes (pardon my wooden translation) “why fix what isn’t broken” and warns against “menacing the beautiful equilibrium that has been installed in the dresssing room.”

M. Durocher (who looks in his picture like a man one immediately wants to like, trust & respect) gives background details of the situation behind the scratching of P.K. which reveal that an intemperate and self-absorbed side of the young man’s s personality have had an angering and upsetting effects on established and veteran players.

So, we learn that The two French-media articles linked both give a revealing picture into the present success of the Habs, and wrap up the two big points of contention on H-I/O.

So, we can know that (a.) our present success is based on a deliberate architecture [by Bob Gainey] of veteran players who work together in harmony with a cup-winning mentality that should not not be disrupted (so Scott Gomez is not nor should he be going anywhere); and (b.) a certain HNIC Personality WHom We Should Not Here Name was much more knowledgeable and insightful about P.K. Subban than his lock-step abusers here on H-I/O (pro & amateur alike.)

74. CanadienBoy says:

What did Dallas give up for Richard ,sure like him but not at all cost.

75. stephen says:

Hiya,

I am hopeful that someone can help me with information about Bell Centre tours. I understand many of you have taken the tour as part of your summit activities, so I wonder if somebody could let me know how they work exactly.

Just looking for details on where you get to go and what you get to see as part of the tour. Also, is the tour different if you are there on a game day?

Thanks very much for any help!

Cheers!

76. ctony says:

Your point is only valid for players on longer term contracts.  For those about to free agents,  teams save little to no cap space.  Richards is coming off the Star’s cap next year regardless.  Trading him at the deadline frees up about 25% of his cap through the end of the year.

Teams like Dallas trade players like Richards at the deadline to get something for their assets before they leave as free agents.

It would have been nice if Gainey had traded away Komisarek, Koivu, Kovalev and all the other unsigned UFAs instead of letting them walk.  We probably would have had more picks and prospects now to make the Richards deal.

77. the Maritimer says:

24 Cups, nowadays teams consider cap space or in Dallas’ case cost saving (salary dump) as valuable as a player in return. So, cap space plus a young prospect such as Pacioretty, who may have lobbied for a trade to an American team earlier, or Kristo, who is currently struggling with North Dakota in NCAA play, may be all that’s required to acquire Brad Richards. Well, maybe a second round pick as well, PG doesn’t mind parting with those lately. Leblanc isn’t going aywhere, guaranteed.

I was actually disappointed when Richards went to Dallas a few years ago. I would have preferred him over Lecavalier any day. Richards is nearly as good offensively, more durable and would have endured less scrutiny than Vinny.

78. LA Loyalist says:

Richards would be

a) cheaper then Gomez (of course so would anyone not Russian)

b) knows where the net is and is hard to play against. Ducks and Kings play Dallas a lot between them so I see Richards quite a bit.

Not sure if he is the long term guy, but when you have Gomez as your big gun, hey… Richards would be a huge upgrade for the playoffs.

79. Rice Miller says:

Well Steve, I believe Richards is a UFA next year, so one would hope that the asking price may not be as steep as one would imagine. It seems that teams that ask for a ridiculous return on a player who may just leave after his contract expires, are staying put. This may be one of the reasons why there is not as much traffic as there used to be before the trade dead-line, and of course, cap restraints.

Brian Burke’s sad record of lofty demands for compensation to take over the last year of Kaberle’s contract seems to back up this contention. If I was PG, I might be willing to part with a younger prospect and an early draft pick to acquire Richard’s services. It would certainly help in our goal to have two top notch first lines. This would only leave us to wonder why a third line center named Gomez makes so much coin.

80. Exit716 says:
    All
    the games are important, but the Bruins’ game has implications for the
    Northeast Division race. While April is far away, the division winner
    is assured of a bye in the first round of the playoffs. Montreal leads
    the Bruins by five points, but Boston holds two games in hand.
    Huh? When did the division winners get a bye to the second round of the playoffs? Did I miss something?

Rich – I think Pat Hickey was trying to say that whoever wins the division gets an automatic top three seeding for the playoffs.  In that regard, they are automatically in the playoffs regardless of their point total.

I was checking out the top 60 NHL scorers this morning and we only have one, Pleks.  Is this an area for concern come playoff time?  Is it an indication that at the trade deadline we need to go for a forward rather than an offensive Dman?

Andrew – Don’t you think a first string goalie is a bit more important than a depth player?  Could you imagine if the Blues had to go with Conklin all year long?

Another way of looking at is to ask what the Habs would do if Price was injured for a month or so.  Wouldn’t you rather have Halak around instead of a young, depth player (or Auld?).

The Price/Halak wars are ancient history.  As well, the Gomez and Subban dilemmas will work themselves out. The real issue in Montreal right now is what will eventually happen with Markov.  It’s on the back burner for the time being, but it’s still the key issue that will define the franchise moving forward.

83. andrewberkshire says:

With all the injuries to the St. Louis Blues top 6 forwards, and with Halak looking merely human and certainly not stealing any games in his last 10+ starts, is it much of a stretch to think they might be missing the depth Lars Eller would have provided?

84. joewindsor habfan says:

the ultimate test for the habs will be tomorrow night. the wings have lost 2 straight, both teams will have a days rest and they’re pissed. it should be a dandy! Price will show up but is the “D” ready for the barrage of shots from the likes of Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Lidstrom? Can the Canadiens “O” cont’d w/ there timely goal scoring. I’m pumped and hope it’ll be a good one for the Habs…

85. joewindsor habfan says:

86. Landof10000lakesHab says:

I think you meant 2 straight at home, in fact Detroit has now lost three straight.

In LA (OT), vs SJ, and vs Nashville.

Is is possible for Detroit to go 0 – 3 on a home stand?  They have the #1 record since the Olympic break last year.

A significant test for the Habs.

87. LA Loyalist says:

I just saw Detroit live. They play a sound, strong game and they don’t take time off during the game.

We can’t have lapses in coverage or they will pounce. Big test, should be a great game. Actually glad it’s on the road, they can focus.

88. shootdapuck says:

The early days of colour TV piece brought back memories specifically the tinting of the ice to a light blue and the hue and cry from purests who believed it would affect the outcome of the game.

It didn’t! The Habs lost the first two in Detroit and then took four straight to win the cup!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

89. shootdapuck says:

Price should adopt the caveman stick for use against Philly.

The extra weight would surely keep his crease clean!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

90. andrewberkshire says:

That’s where we’re thinking differently Steve. Eller wouldn’t be a depth player in St. Louis right now, he would be challenging Berglund for 1st line center. Now is that position more important than a 1st string goalie? No, but it’s a hell of a lot harder to find. If Price went down for an extended period the Habs could quite easily trade for Vokoun as Florida is dying to shed salary, so no, i wouldn’t rather have Halak back. This isn’t about an imaginary Price/Halak war, only showing that the grass is always greener on the other side. Right now, unless you’re the Tampa Bay Lightning, getting average to below average goaltending (which is about what Halak is providing currently) seems to be something every team accomplishes with ease.

As for Markov, you know where I stand on that issue, I don’t see a dilemma. It’s either you take the obvious route and sign him, or you lose him and make a massive mistake as there’s no upcoming free agent who’s even half as good.

Andrew – One of the things that I have noticed during the past three years is how H I/O (not you, but in general) posters tend of overrate Hab players while downplaying guys from other teams.  It happens after trades or free agent signings, as well as young guys who are drafted or play in Hamilton.  We’re all homers here, but you also have to try and be realistic (which some people on this site deem to be negative or seeing the glass as half empty).  It’s kind of like trying to take a real view of your own child.  A lot of factors come into play so it’s very difficult to park your heart in favour of your mind.

Eller is a solid young prospect who has played well during the past ten games.  He should be a good one but only time will tell.  He’s certainly not a #1 centre for any team right now.  He’s showing some positive signs but he’s still a first year player.  Same goes for Weber and Subban.  Let’s keep things in perspective.

Markov?  Right now he’s basically half as good as Markov is (or was).  I’m not so sure it’s that obvious that we should be giving him a four year deal at 6-7M.  If he turns out to be damaged goods….  The fact that we will have his cap space to use will be of little consolation.  There will be no players left to sign (at that time)and any new trade acquisition will cost us extra assets that we could have used elsewhere.

92. SmartDog says:

You both have good points… Eller is early in the maturing process as an NHL center, though showing a lot of promise…   But I think Andrew’s point is a good one, and I don’t think he’s saying Eller is the next Joe Sakic.  The Blues are so depleted, Eller does show every sign to be a keeper and the Blues could use all the effective depth they can find right now.   Think back 2 years ago to the Habs calling up everyone in turn trying to cover injuries and no-one could handle it.  Eller, even in October when he wasn’t putting up points, LOOKED like he belonged.  Tough for them to miss out on that.  Good for us.

——-

93. ctony says:

Don’t bother.  This was Pierre McGuire’s point the other night.  That an unproven player for a starting goalie was larceny.  The folks (homers) here on HIO only heard “Eller is dud.”  There’s very little objectivity here.  The other recent example is this morning’s post from VanHabs about Cherry needed to be checked.  HIO commentariat call him a racist.  When the information doesn’t comport with the “Habs are best and no one shall make contradictory remarks”, things around here get very defensive.  Disappointing.  This could be a great place for thoughtful discussion.

94. LA Loyalist says:

We are a groin pull away from Alex Auld as our #1 goalie. If that doesn’t scare the crap out of you you are a braver man than I am.

Also, though I don’t think this is the case, we don’t want Price mentally tired in the spring.

Eller is fine, but we could have done better (not that I want to start debating this again, I’m sick of it, too).

95. Chuck says:

The didn’t just get “an unproven player” for Halak. They got Eller, Schultz, cap space, and a goalie who’s leading the league in wins, has 4 shutouts, a 1.95 GAA and a .936 SV%.

Centre Hice: my last Canadiens game at the Forum

96. LA Loyalist says:

I can’t believe I’m agreeing with Andrew on something. Yes we sign Markov. Yes it’s a risk. That’s life.

Otherwise we will be rushing Tinordi, which would be another in a long series of Habs management blunders.

97. krob1000 says:

I am not so sure Tony…..we don’t know of any other offers and we did not want or need a roster player.  We needed a guy who would have an impact for years moving forward, a guy who would be affordable under the cap for the next few seasons, a guy with a good ceiling and a guy who fit a need we had for a combo of size and skill up the middle while also adhering to the Habs organizational plans and desires meaning two way ability and smarts.  I think Eller fits the bill perfectly.  If we had to take on more salary for some 20 goal guy or whatever people think we could have gotten for Halak it would have meant taking salary back and one of the advantages to that trade was the savings on Carey, the ability to sign Pleks and gaining a guy who the Habs have been high on for a while….and I now see why….Eller is a perfect fit here and has a ton of growing to do….for a kid who did not grow up in North America he sure plays a steady North American game……I really like the trade now…at the time I was a bit suspect as I did not know much of Eller but after seeing him play it makes sense.

While Halak won a lot of fans over(including me) the net is only big enough for one guy so  really we added space, did actually add a roster player and strengthened our team as there is no point having two starting goalies when only one can play, added more space and affordability going forward with him being so young, addressed a need for a center with size(that uses it) and skill.  I see the trade already as a good hockey trade for all parties involved.  The Blues get a goalie who may or may not be a great goalie…I think he’ll be average to slightly better myself and because I like Jaro I hope I am wrong but that is what I see of him.  A top 10-15 goalie…not bad by any stretch but not elite….but will have stretches of elite play like all goalies in that range do.  I think St. Louis addressed a need, I think this opened the door for Price, gave Jaro his chance to thrive, gave the Habs a very specific type and priced player they were looking for moving forward, and in summation

I think it was just a good trade all around.  The Blues were not going to give up Oshie as some suggest, I don’t think I would want Perron to have to bear the Franco burden at his age and I don’t know if St. Louis gives him up anyway, he isn’t small but he is’t big either at 6’0″ and I think Eller fit better and that is not being a homer that is factoring style of play, size and need, salaries now moving forward in a cap world (Perron already makes nearly a million more and if far further into his escalating salary years).  We couldn’t take Boyes salary. Berglund is more interesting but last year was really disappointing….I might have tried to go there and maybe the Habs did? He is further along than Eller but for this year makes similar money and won’t be too much of a raise but still not as affordable as Eller for a similiar player.  Now….if we could have somehow sweetened the deal to get Johnson or Pieterangelo  out of St. Louis I would have considered that for sure…..but  that is probably not realistic.

98. LA Loyalist says:

Eller is a rookie, promising, but a rookie. Who is Schultz? Is he a friend of Youpi?

Yeah Carey is playing great, but that was a HUGE roll of the dice because last year he was a freaking head case. You need to differentiate lucky from good. Maybe lucky is better, but you can’t plan for it. (I mean with respect to PG, not Price.)

That’s the great irony of the Gainey regime. We thought we’d get calm, methodical, patient, wise. Instead, we got a panic attack.

By the way, Koivu has 10 goals. Does anyone on Habs have 10 goals? Sorry, that post pissed me off.

We’ll know a lot more by next summer, I guess, if there was any wisdom in any of this.

99. krob1000 says:

Halak is not superman yet, he played for a brief period like he was (acrtually has a couple of times) and that was something I will never forget but he is also still “unproven” as a starter.  His stats in and success in a backup/1a/1b role in his first 100 games or so are eerily similar to one Vesa Toskala …… and who knows maybe Carey  turns out to be like Jim Carey….but Halak was not all that “proven” himself.  On Koivu….I hated that we let him walk…and took on the alrger salary and commitmnent for what I still view as a similar palyer in Gomez but that is another story.  The Halak deal could very easily have looked horrid and still could but the ifs are on both goalies and Price has two years on him,s alary, pedigree and size…but this idea that Halak was somehow a “proven” guy is not true either.  He proved he coud get hot and stand on his head….short term….many a goalie does that, he ahs proven he can handle pressure…..that is a little diff’t and something that he does deserve credit for him, his demeanour is very steady……BUT…..his goaltending itself is still average or slightly above outside of those hot stretches.  He never had a sustained low period like Price did …but he also never had the expectations of Price and was always cast as the underdog which did help alleviate the burden.  I sincerely wish Halak well….but even if Eller only becomes our “Radek Bonk” as others have mentioned is possible…..the chancee was worth taking all things considered.

100. Chuck says:

Price started last year as the #1 goalie, began the year with two great wins which he basically stole for the team, and was rewarded for his efforts by being sat in game 3. If Price’s head was screwed up last year, that was the moment and coaching decision that started it.

Martin might have wanted to teach Price that ice time is not a given, but there were better ways to go about it. Thankfully, in the end both men learned something.

Centre Hice: my last Canadiens game at the Forum

101. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Yes, it was definitely luck on the part of Gauthier. No scouting, no talking to the players, no understanding of hockey at all. He flipped a coin and came out lucky. Excellent analysis. I, too, am disappointed in this panic attack approach that has us in the top 5 overall. What a colossal mistake.

Koivu is a great player who will miss the playoffs for the second straight season. Youppi is everyone’s friend. You will learn more about Schultz the longer you are a fan of the Montreal Canadiens. Hope that answers your questions.

102. ctony says:

Most non-Montreal commentators thought St. Louis won the
    trade.  What everyone knew at the time
    was: (1) Halak had paid his dues, (2) won the starting job from an
    excellent prospect (Price), and (3) starred
    in the playoffs.  Also, we could have
    signed him (if that would have given us more value). All we had to do was trade
    OB in the offseason and not signed Boyd (who they placed on waivers fairly
    quickly).  So, the “we needed cap
    room to sign Price and Plecs” is a stretch.

Media rumblings often precede high profile deals to let the
    seller (PG) create a competitive environment.
    This deal took everyone by surprise.
    The stories following the trade show that St. Louis had enquired late in
    the regular season and throughout the playoffs.

As stated by a couple of people below, PG rolled the dice and
    Price has been exceptional. Lucky for PG.
    If he had stumbled or started slower than Halak, people here would be
    calling for PG’s head.

I don’t believe the trade was “grand larceny”.  I do think Halak should have fetched
    more.  If PG couldn’t fit another player under
    the cap, then he should have asked for pick in addition to the players.  That pick could be the difference between
    getting a Richards-type or Moore-type at the deadline.

103. Rice Miller says:

Out of Godin’s five, I think Brad Richards is the only player I would want to add to the Habs.

1) Sullivan is a fine hockey player, but we already have enough “smurfs” (as my non-believer buddies like to say) on the top six. He is also one good hit away from finishing his career.

2) Langenbrunner has the size, but he is a little long in the tooth. Anyway, Pouliot should be able to fufill the same role Jamie would bring, only for cheaper.

3) Kabelre smells like a leaf, and that’s reason enough for me not to want him. The smell of loser percolates from you, Tomas.

4) Kovalev is more of a distraction then he’s worth. I mean, he is now being relagated to the 4th line on an offensively challenged Janitors team. What does this tell you? Hopefully this will finally put to the rest, all the Alexei-ophiles mynopic penchant for the return of L’Eartless to Hockey Heaven. Go quietly into the night, Floater.

Then there’s Brad Richards, always comes to play and although he’s 30 years old, he still is putting up good numbers. Yes, I think Brad Richards would look pretty good wearing the bleu, blanc et rogue. Imagine having Pleky and Richards as our one two punch down the middle…..NICE…

As always, you have to ask yourself what Richards would cost and what we would be willing to pay.  Other contending teams will also be in the hunt which increases the asking price.  You’re not looking at a combination of a pick and some Hamilton wannabe.  Dallas will be asking for guys like MaxPac, Leblanc, Kristo or Tinordi.  I would think that one of those guys would have to go back the other way.

105. J_P says:

I agree that kovalev is too much of a distraction.  As for richards, adding a superstar center as a rental could actually hurt the balance of this team.  Totally agree with regards to sullivan.  Totally agree that kovalev would be a huge distraction.

I would love to add langenbrunner.  I think he is exactly what this team could use.  I just wonder, considering his great leadership qualities, if there will be a too-many-cooks-in-the-kitchen thing going on that could upset team chemistry.

106. Habscat says:

The Habs with 1 player in the top 60? That’s par for the course around here. No 50 goal man since Richer in 89-90, and no 100 point man since Naslund in 85-86. Since then (85-86) 22 current NHL and 4 Defunct teams (QUE/HFD/WPG/MIN) have had a 100 point scorer. Only FLA/NJ/CBJ/MIN/DAL/PHX/NSH and MTL have not had one. I wish we could bring someone to town who could excite us with a 50-50-100 point season!

107. andrewberkshire says:

NJ, Montreal and Dallas together have won 5 cups in that time without a single 100 point player. I guess it doesn’t matter then. Goal differential is what counts, not goal production.

108. Habscat says:

I agree, but since the end of the 85-86 season (Naslund 110 points), we have won 1 cup without a 100 point player, NJ has 3 and Dal has 1. 23 Cups given out, and 5 without a 100 point man. It is important, maybe not the most important. I just miss the excitement of having a guy that can change a game every shift with scoring.

Hc – To be brutally honest, there hasn’t been a Hab that lifts the fans out of their seats since The Flower left town.  There have been some very good ones, but no great ones.

110. SeriousFan09 says:

Can’t believe you’re forgetting Sergei Samsonov there Steve.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

111. krob1000 says:

There has been a Hab that did that…just not with scoring goals….Patrick Roy is every bit the superstar and legend that The Flower was…..but I know what you meant.

112. Habscat says:

HAHAHA. I miss Richer. The “every other” season that he was great, he was always good for at least one end-to-end rush. Sadly Lafleur was before my time. What I would give to be watching him in his prime.

113. LA Loyalist says:

It’s so sad that Kovalev just didn’t do it. He’s probably the most purely skilled player we’ve had since Richer and could have done it had he really applied himself.

But Richer, for those of us who remember, drove us just as insane if not more so than Kovy with inconsistency.

Sheesh. But point taken, I’d choose St. Patrick over any 100 pt guy in recent times.

114. andrewberkshire says:

If anyone knows the answer shoot me an email, because I’m about to have a pre-final exam power nap:

If Markov comes off LTIR in the playoffs, but doesn’t play another regular season game this year, do the Canadiens have to move salary to activate him if they spend the regular season cap space?

115. SmartDog says:

Can’t help you, but I have a litle more honey for a brainy bee out there: why is Marky not on LTR NOW?  Can he only be put on LTR after ten days or after an operation or what… and does it go retroactive to the start of the injury (it should obviously but you never know)?

——-

116. REB says:

“The tip of his goalie stick into the back of a calve works too…. “

==============

Or up the inside of the thigh – that will definitely get the opponents attention!

117. LA Loyalist says:

Apparently the good peeler bars (strip clubs) are all on the Windsor side. Not that I would know… I have a bud at work from Detroit.

Trackbacks for this post