No Habs hockey on Saturday?

What to do with the free time?

If you’re Pierre Gauthier: Worry, because the Bruins and Lightning got better on a Freaky Friday that saw blockbuster trades all over the NHL.

Maybe the Canadiens GM is holding off so the TSN guys have something to talk about on the 28th.

Cammalleri returns tomorrow

Fickle weather? No problem

Red Fisher does not love outdoor hockey

• Red on the Kaberle trade, Michael Grabner and Red’s Notebook

The National Parity League

How the Flames righted the ship

A late-breaking Blues blockbuster

Arpon Basu sizes up the trading frenzy

What’s left for the deadline?

1. ZepFan2 says:

WOW…the insanity here is overflowing.

———————————————————————— “Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.” ~Serge Savard~

2. sergio30 says:

never been a big fan of reds.. and have no problem when he writes about the canadiens. But when he starts writing about other teams(Grabner story) and other players then he should get the facts right.. or atleast the names correct.

Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall…. One tyler, One taylor… not a couple of tylers…

3. The Cat says:

I know its different than what I said, youre the one that said the car isnt fine tuned enough…Just saying, to me, the habs got to not lean on a fence so much.

4. habstrinifan says:

I would be very very careful next time you open your locker!

5. Chris says:

You have to trade quality to get quality:  Johnson and McClement for Shattenkirk and Stewart is a pretty good trade for both teams.

Erik Johnson still has the potential to develop into an elite defenceman.  Shattenkirk has shown that he is a pretty decent offensive defenceman already, and Stewart has established himself as perhaps the top young power forward in the league.

This is exactly the type of deal that I think the Habs need to start getting involved in.  Trading young players for more young players.  In Montreal, fans seem to get too attached to our draft picks.  I’ve seen guys like Leblanc already mentioned as untouchables.  This always makes me shake my head…there isn’t a single player on the Habs roster that is untouchable.  Subban and Pacioretty might be the closest to that status:  Subban because he has the potential to be an elite two-way defenceman, Pacioretty because he seems to be developing into a power forward, a very rare commodity in the NHL.

I would deal Plekanec or Price if the right deal came along without blinking.  This doesn’t mean I’d throw them away, but if a true elite player was available and the other team was asking for either of those guys, I’d do it.

6. PeterD says:

Gap Geek does that for you and a whole lot more…a great site to play around with impact of trades, buy-outs, etc.  Here’s the link…

7. The Cat says:

Red just emailed me and told me to tell you that he doesnt like your post!

He also adds:

P.S. zing!

8. Led says:

I agree with you about Gomez. I don’t think losing him leaves as big a hole as some people insist. If we’re not contenders anyway (as most seem to believe) then hurting the “now” really doesn’t matter when compared with the huge benifit moving forward. I think we survive just as well with DD anyway, and Eller is another option at C. IMO best case is we get rid of Gomez and acquire a Jason Arnott type of center to make it to the off-season.

I don’t think the Brewer deal was too expensive but I agree with not giving away primo prospects or first rounders. I do think PG should try a few complimentary moves of the slightly better-than-Mara type (i.e. lower picks/prospects/Pyatt/AK) which could help give us a better chance at a surprise playoff run.

9. PeterD says:

If we are talking player for player trades today…and I like the Blues – Avalance moves…then lets look at Columbus and Montreal again….

Would we like to get RJ Umberger at 6’2″ 220 lbs on our LW?  How about Antoine Vermette at 6’1″ 199 lbs. at centre?  Vermette by the way would be our biggest centre and a franco player to boot.

For those two I would send them AK, Gomez (if they would take him), Weber and a prospect or high draft pick.

10. SeriousFan09 says:

It’s bold, but I question whether each side really helped themselves out. COL now has to find a new power forward who’s going to approach what Chris Stewart can bring to a game, which is how common exactly? I think considering St Louis seeing Brewer off and now packaging away Johnson, they’re going to take a hit on defensive depth. Both teams made moves to improve a particular positon no doubt, but now they’ve arguably weakened themselves just as much at the position they just pulled assets from.

Price has to be considered an untouchable, he’s years from his prime and has been an outstanding goaltender this season, I like Ramo’s season over in the KHL but I would never expect him to fill Carey’s shoes. Subban and Pacioretty are untouchables because of their youth and potential. I’d move Leblanc or anyone in the system that we have right now if it addressed an organizational need long-term but Price, Pacioretty and Subban need to be foundation of the Habs youth going forward.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

11. SeriousFan09 says:

Peverly isn’t that good, he just plays like a bloody All-Star the second he sees the CH.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

12. Mattyleg says:

Holy crud, just found out about Peverley to Boston.

That’s a big move. He’s good, and that bodes unwell for us.

Stupid Thrashers. Why on Earth would you trade away one of your scoring leaders?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Our fun this spring will be watching Boston and Philly beat the snot out of each other, before losing to the west.!

14. Led says:

You’re right for the right deal anyone should be available. I’m mean the Oilers traded Gretzky and then prceeded to win another cup. Closer to home we all thought that we would never survive without Markov but we have done better without him this full year than in all the years with him. I love Markov but for a great deal he would be available, same goes for Plecks and, “oh my God” Price. However, in the short term and depending on teams needs I don’t think it always has to be (perceived) quality to get quality. Teams unloading unwanted solid veterans for cap space and low picks/prospects should be the area PG explores to help provide us with some depth for the here and now.

15. Bugs says:

The second Halak was traded, the Priceberg became an untouchable, right or wrong, thankfully, it turned out right.

Soobie’s an untouchable. Franchise players are few and far between, and in my opinion, Soobie fits that mould.

Young num 1 goalies, defencemen, and forwards should be untouchables. We got 2 outta 3, so any other deal makes our team better, I’m all for it.

Plecky and Pac-Man be damned.

16. habstrinifan says:

“Teams unloading unwanted solid veterans for cap space and low picks/prospects should be the area PG explores to help provide us with some depth for the here and now.”

This is EXACTLY what needs to happen or least what PG should be trying his darndest to make happen.

17. punkster says:

Not really 19 years. I haven’t been steeped in the tradition that long, only a casual fan until the past 6 years or so. As for trades, Price is the only one that may get a pass but nobody is really untouchable for the right offer. Take Price for example. If a ridiculous offer came along with, say, Crosby, Malkin and J. Staal for Price would you turn it down? Ain’t gonna happen, but if it did? As for today’s world, let’s get real here. Markov and Gorges out for the season plus the rash of other injuries decimating the team have pretty well put a stop to any realistic thoughts of a Cup run this season. Like you said, you called it last summer, this is not the year. There’s no point in selling any assets unless we get better in return and there just aren’t that many in that category out there just now. No, apart from a minor move or two the team we got is the team we got…for now.

***Subbang!!!***

18. punkster says:

Crosbie, Malkin and J. Staal for PK, straight up. Do you do the deal?

***Subbang!!!***

19. Mattyleg says:

14G 20A and he’s been pretty sweet for me in my pool.

He’s no Stamkos, but picking up a player that notched up 55pts last year is no shabby thing.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

20. New says:

Ya, Boston is better on the wing and D than Montreal and Peverly makes them stronger at center with Savard out. Tampa is better on D and way better at center. Colorado is better down the middle, and on D.

Poor Halak in St Louis. They will be saying things like good, young, skilled, and future. (Too bad Montreal hadn’t copyrighted those words – imagine 18 years of royalties).

What would really help San Jose, Anahiem, or LA compete would be Gomez out there. Maybe even on the ice, at intermissions.

21. Sportfan says:

Erik Johnson got traded from St Louis to the Avs was not expecting that kinda wish we had tried to get him him oh well.

It’s funny all these trades are being made now which means TSN gets major screwed over because so many big deals are done and they wont have much to report serves tehm right to over hype the trade deadline. Dont get me wrong i like TSN a lot but they over hype stuff way too much

22. Bugs says:

And in the meantime, we come in through the back door to beat Pitt and Atlanta before goin up against the Caners?

I like that, Mr.Ian, yes!

23. punkster says:

Richards, Carter, Giroux, Hartnell for Price. Do you do the deal?

***Subbang!!!***

24. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I love it.

Stupid TSN. I hope nothing happens so that they sit there muttering their platitudes for four (six?) hours.

Drop the American concept, already.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

25. gumper says:

Thanks guys. Have you calculated what that cap hit is?

26. jimmy shaker says:

Both far flung scenario’s would never even come out of holmgrem’s, shero’s or pg’s mouths, let alone even get pen to paper, so this is a moot point.  But if holmgrem and shero would be burkie enough to do these moves, than if I was the gm I would do it for sure.  Mind you I would have to use junior or ahl players to fill out the rest of my roster as  I would have no cap space left, but I would do it and tell PG to go for it as well.

Shaker

27. Habnofear says:

If we can unload our overpriced veteran corps when they are in demand by others for a play-off run then for the sake of cap space we should.Let the rebuild begin!….. It will be a lot easier too do it now then in the off season imo.

28. Bugs says:

What deal, the radical, never-happen, just-to-get-you-to-say-buddy’s-not-an-untouchable deal? THAT deal?

Yeah, sure, why not? It probably comes with a complimentary bj from Jessica Alba, right?

But any proposed deal in the REAL world, surely not.

29. BJ says:

Agreed on Price. And not far behind is PK. Who else would be worth more?

30. Ayan_SB says:

Who would you realistically trade Price for, a 23 year-old goaltender who most likely hasn’t reached his potential yet?

Name me one elite offensive player not named Crosby/Stamkos/Ovechkin that you’d trade him for.

31. Bugs says:

Heille, y l’ont-tu l’affaire, les AmAricains, hein?

32. Bugs says:

For the record, Felix, I really dig your new laid-back persona.

You just be CHILLIN in that pic, like “yo, wassup; watchin some tv over here; what can I do for ya?”

33. New says:

The only hole Gomez would leave if he was gone is that lack of coverage he provides because he is a step behind his check. If Mr. Gomez was named Boyd he would have been in the AHL and Boyd would be up. The man is -15 in 56 games. Everyone around him fails to score, and the opposition scores when he is on. Even the mighty Wiz is only -1 in the 10 games or so he played with this team, and he was like -18 with NY. If the whole team was shaky I could understand, but they are not. +- is a reflection of team play usually, because hockey is a team game. When you have an anomoly like this at the 3/4 mark then someone has an attitude.

Gomez is a valuable NHL player as a third line checker who can turn it on and burn you big time if you don’t put a second or first line center against him. When he doesn’t want to work hard he is just another third line center with a Lats or Laps attitude.

Boucher however might very well have salvaged this project, and that rubs me too.

34. Led says:

By stating those 3 names you illustrate his point because you are saying Price would then be tradable for one of those players. He’s just arguing against the set in stone “we can never trade _______” mentality. Would you not consider trading Price for a solid center, d-man and 1st rounder? I know I would.

35. Shiloh says:

Absolutely agree that we should trade anybody if the right offer is there. The priority should be to move Gomez, if at all possible. I disagree with Arpon Basu when he says we’d have to get an NHL-ready player in return. We can do that in the summer – or even next fall – with the $7.35 million we save. Our centres could be Pleks, Eller, Desharnais and Halpern.

We can dick around and tread water for another decade, never getting a superstar, never icing an offensive team, or we can try to do something about it. Let’s start by bringing in a coach who will open up the game and moving Gomer – even if it is to Hamilton.

36. Sportfan says:

hAHA exactly ! they are just going to re analyze every trade that was made

nothing that big will happen on the 28th if it does ill be in shock

37. matrags says:

As I have been saying Chris, Gautier dropped the ball on Halik as a trade asset. After our finish last yr it was reasonable to conclude that we would go after an asset to fill the void at center and to get some upfront physical presence. . Markovs return then, answered the d question , a prospect packaged with Halik then ,might have gotten us the center. With a top four finish in the playoffs it seemed logical to continue the rebuild started by Gainey by filling in the missing pieces and going for it .

… and as always other teams actually get better while Habs get… Paul Mara. Plus ca change…

39. Chris says:

Crosby, Malkin, E. Staal, Getzlaf, etc.

If you’re not the best at your position, you are tradeable.

And even then, circumstances like the salary cap or internal team friction can make a star expendable.

40. Shiloh says:

As long as they throw in a year’s supply of anti-depressant meds for many of the posters here at Price-Inside-Out.

41. Mike D says:

So what’s with all these MTL-FLA rumours about Weiss??  I’ve ignored them for the most part and I realize Engels was the first person to bring them up (or make them up), but over the past few days I’ve heard them on TSN and Sportsnet too.  Not saying I believe them, but wondering if there is more validity to them than I initially thought.  Let’s pretend for a second that there is…

Weiss is a Center, which is a position where we have an adundance of players (and LW too).  He’s 27, and signed until the end of the 2013 season at a friendly 3.1mil cap hit.  Given his skill set and style of play, he’s a perfect 2nd liner (not good enough for the 1st line unless it’s a bad team or temp. fill-in, not suited to a bottom 6 role).  The only way this deal would make sense for both teams is if the trade was Center for Center.  That being the case…

Pleks for Weiss – Not gonna happen, period.  PG, you better agree with that!

DD or Eller for Weiss – We’re cap tight and can’t afford Weiss’s salary if we only shed one of these guy’s salary.  I also doubt PG or JM would want to ruin the chemistry that DD seems to have with Poolio/Darche/White.  Eller has a lot of potential and I doubt they’ve given up on him yet, plus the cap problems again make this unfeasible for us.

That leaves Gomez for Weiss – I’m sure we’d all love to do this deal and it makes perfect sense for us since we’d get a suitabe replacement for a much smaller cap hit and it allows us to add a very good player at the wing or on D with the free’d up cap room.  Problem is that I can’t fathom FLA making this deal as they are a team that stays at the cap floor.

The wishful thinker in me wonders though if Weiss for Gomez could happen for the following reasons:

Cap floor going up and FLA may need to add salary to make it.  After next season Gomez’s salary becomes considerably smaller, but his cap hit remains 7.357mil which is very attractive for teams that stay towards the cap floor and want to keep their true expenses down.  FLA has a lot of UFAs and RFAs this summer and need to do something.  There could certainly be other pieces involved to make this more attractive for them…specifically in goal if Vokoun doesn’t re-sign (we could offer Ramo), and possibly on D if McCabe leaves as they’ll need someone for the PP (we could offer Wiz, or more likely Weber).  Of course there’s always the possibility we add picks or prospects to make this more appealing for them too.

What do you guys think?  Is there ANY reasonable chance something like this could happen?  Or is it that multiple people are spreading the same false rumour?  I think it’s likely the latter, but am crossing my fingers it’s the former.

- Honestly yours

42. gloveside says:

As I said further down, I would have given up PK In a heartbeat. Is PK someone you can build a team around or just a decent young defenceman with personality. Don’t get me wrong, I like PK and am glad he is a Hab, but you can’t build a team around personality. Real power forwards with such potential are a genuine rarity.

43. habstrinifan says:

Selling an offspring to improve the ‘community wealth’ or assure the longevity of a ruler or plain and simple ensure the survival of a village is a long practised exchange system. Even the Almighty himself invoked this principle in the sacrifice he asked of Abraham.

Whom would you have castrated Abraham or the Almighty HIMSELF?

44. Chris says:

Look at all the great goalies uncovered around the league, Mike.  I just don’t see how ANY goalie can be perceived as untouchable in today’s league.

Rinne, Quick, Thomas…the goaltending leaders of the NHL are a hodge-podge of “can’t miss prospects” and “who the heck is this guy?”

If the Penguins come along and say we’ll give you Malkin for Price, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Let’s say the Ducks hit some finanical difficulties.  Would you turn down Getzlaf for Price?  Which guy is the harder to replace:  a #1 goalie or a true power-forward?

45. punkster says:

Never say never Bugs. Which is why “untouchable” just doesn’t fly in pro sports if the right offer is made. You and I may think and believe with all our hearts that Price, PK, Pleks…whoever…is not up for debate but we are just fans. We don’t own or manage the assets and we don’t live or die by the number of butts in the seats and jerseys sold. To those people it’s a business. So imagine this, instead of a low scoring team with amazing goaltending and a chance to take us far we have a high scoring team with average goaltending and a chance to take us far. Is it a tossup? What type of team would you rather see? Which one gives us a better shot at a Cup? Just asking, that’s all.

***Subbang!!!***

46. Bill H says:

There have been a couple of references to Yemelin.  I really hope he comes over.  But he is a prospect.  He’s never played in the NHL.  And he seems reluctant to try out because he knows that it means time in Hamilton to adjust.  So first of all, its extremely far fetched to think of Yemelin as a solution to our present injury problems.  At best, I see him playing in Hamilton for half a season and then getting called up.

47. Matt_in_TO says:

From the way TSN is covering the Kaberle deal you’d think the Bruins just traded for Bobby Orr.

- In Price We Trust

48. Bugs says:

Yeah, eh? Boston and Philly, boy, oh boy, wow.

Feh, who cares?

49. Chris says:

Getzlaf. Zetterberg. Datsyuk. Eric Staal. Malkin. Backstrom. Henrik Sedin. Drew Doughty. Duncan Keith. I’d deal Price for any of those guys, straight up.

This is where people chime in with “THAT is why I’m glad you aren’t the GM!”. :)

It comes out of my belief that it is harder to find a truly dominant game-breaker up front than it is to find a good goalie.