No Habs hockey on Saturday?

What to do with the free time?

If you’re Pierre Gauthier: Worry, because the Bruins and Lightning got better on a Freaky Friday that saw blockbuster trades all over the NHL.

Maybe the Canadiens GM is holding off so the TSN guys have something to talk about on the 28th.

Cammalleri returns tomorrow

Fickle weather? No problem

Red Fisher does not love outdoor hockey

• Red on the Kaberle trade, Michael Grabner and Red’s Notebook

The National Parity League

How the Flames righted the ship

A late-breaking Blues blockbuster

Arpon Basu sizes up the trading frenzy

What’s left for the deadline?

1. Chris says:

Same as it has always been:  $7 357 143.

2. habstrinifan says:

Half way joking. And no I didnt miss the point. But I m in surly mood cause of  the non-trading PG and just wanted to throw darts.

3. Mike D says:

Easy, friend. The smiley face was there to indicate a jokey, tongue-in-cheek comment.

– Honestly yours

4. larisalapointe says:

My reply was to the other guy. :)

5. habstrinifan says:

Poster Bigjames I have replied! It is on page 2 but may have ‘slipt’ lower.

6. habs365 says:

PG- won’t do much if anything and it’ll be another early exit from the playoffs.(anyway)

GOTTA KEEP:  MaxPac…AK46…Pleks…Gio…Cammy…Pouliot…PK…Wiz…Price…Desharnais – spend 60% of the cap on these guys…the rest clean em out…and spend the remainder 40% cap on the best you can bring in….

7. PeterD says:

Gap Geek does that for you and a whole lot more…a great site to play around with impact of trades, buy-outs, etc.  Here’s the link…

8. PeterD says:

If we are talking player for player trades today…and I like the Blues – Avalance moves…then lets look at Columbus and Montreal again….

Would we like to get RJ Umberger at 6’2″ 220 lbs on our LW?  How about Antoine Vermette at 6’1″ 199 lbs. at centre?  Vermette by the way would be our biggest centre and a franco player to boot.

For those two I would send them AK, Gomez (if they would take him), Weber and a prospect or high draft pick.

9. gloveside says:

If you are stuck on numbers, Shattenkirk has more points than PK for a crappier team, and while it’s true that PK only has 5 less points than Stewart, Stewart has been out for the last 20 games with a broken hand, so based on his almost point/game pace before the injury, he would be leaving Mr. Subban in the dust points-wise. Everyone on your team has to be tradable for the right price, and for those two [both 1st round picks as well for all those who are hung up on that player parameter] moving PK and whatever, is the the right price.

I agree we have a really decent 2-way centre in Pleks, but a number 1? Not so sure. As for Price, I’m glad he has begun to really take the job and run with it. He deserves our support. We play it too safe as a club. We need to take some chances to be able to step up to the next level.

Would you trade PK for a younger Nash? I think so.

10. habstrinifan says:

OK! I have retrieved the deadly Brazilian wandering spider from your locker. Unfortunately the daddy long legs seemed to have escaped. However its venemous qualities are reputed to be just an urban-myth.

11. Scotty90 says:

PG isn’t going to throw away the baby with the bath water… or at least I hope he doesn’t. I’d love to see Penner come this way but what would Edmonton ask in return? The best thing may be to wait for the off season when the Habs can get more for their money for less.

Cammi is returning and so is Gill, thats going to make a big difference. Hopefully the reports that Wiz will be back soon are true. That said, we can afford to pick up Neil from Ottawa and…yes.. Kovi. I know a lot of you don’t want that but everyone is entitled to their opinion. IMO his return would help the team big time. it is well known that he loves Mtl and his heart never left this city. His motivation would be so strong that the were would be an immediate impact in our point production…. which by the way we need very badly. Neil woould also bring immediate dividends in that oour smaller players can concentrate more on their game and not on who is coming for them. Acquiring these two guys will not bankrupt us and will not hurt our future in any way….

12. kirkiswork says:

Penner and Kovy are two peas in a pod, wouldn’t touch either of them with a ten foot pole. Our team is developing a good chemistry why ruin it with the likes of Kovy ?

13. Mike D says:

IMO, 2mil for Neil is pretty expensive. I agree we could use more grit, but we could also use more scoring and I think that’s a more important need. Neil is good for maybe 20 points a year and that ain’t much. The only way getting Neil would make sense to me is if we traded Moen to get him. Not saying we win the deal, just saying it makes some sense. Moen’s salary is 1.5mil – so close to Neil’s – and he puts up similar numbers. The win for us is we get a more aggressive/engaging tough-guy and only add 500K on the cap. The win for Ottawa is they get a younger cup winner, who will replace some of Neil’s toughness and take his role, and save 500K on their cap.

I think having Neil AND Moen is a waste of 3.5mil, two winger spots, and certainly doesn’t help us in the scoring dept.

– Honestly yours

14. Rugger says:

You are making way too much sense.

15. The Cat says:

Running a team is kinda like a car race ;sooner or later, the driver’s got to make a risky manoever if hes to win.

16. The Cat says:

Well shouldnt the habs unload some riff raff for picks then? I know its a business but the plan seems to have a couple of home appearances in the playoffs. It doesnt strike me as a good message to the players.

17. punkster says:

Now is not the time to pass. There will be other races. The car needs further tune ups. Better tires are being developed and readied for shipment. Quality engine parts are expensive. Point being, if it’s like a car race then you better make sure your car can handle the risky maneuver before you try it.

***Subbang!!!***

18. deuce6 says:

Although we need to address size and scoring up front, we still would be the same team if PG made a trade for Brewer, Kaberle, etc…Why make a deal simply to make a deal?

If a deal was to be made, I totally disagree with Basu when he says Gomez would leave a huge hole in the line up..For what Gomez brings to the table, that contract/cap hit is a huge anchor on this team going forward..If we can dump that in any way, shape or form, we do it..He just doesn’t bring enough production to eat that much cap space..and being cool in the lockerrooom means squat..

The only way we do ANY damage in the playoffs this year, will be because of #31..If he gets hot, the sky is the limit, but adding a Brewer or a Kaberle would be just handing assets away..

Sit tight..I believe PG has something brewing to address the size/scoring, but not what you hope it is..

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

19. Mike D says:

Excellent post, Ogre! Love your avatar BTW, makes me LOL everytime I see it!

I think the point Arpon was making is that trading Gomez and not bringing in a legit 1st/2nd line Center leaves a hole. DD is doing great, but he hasn’t been doing it long enough to know for sure he can do it consistently. He also has no playoff experience and up to now has been playing on the 3rd line and not facing the oppositions better lines/D-men. I’m all for getting Gomez’s contract off the books (or getting him to perform in a way that justifies his salary) to help our future, but losing Gomez and not getting a decent replacement hurts us for the rest of THIS season and playoffs.

– Honestly yours

20. smiler2729 says:

Red Fisher does not like anything.

If Pierre Gauthier makes a move, you gotta know that like Bob Gainey, it comes out of absolutely nowhere, no warning, no rumours, no buzz so we can bitch and speculate all we want.  He doesn’t exactly have a strong position to wheel and deal given that he really has no assets available that any other team would want (other than the ‘untouchables’ MaxPac, Subban, Price and their ilk).

There is a suspicion that he is shopping Scott Gomez around as a salary dump but the teams that have the cap space are the ones that are basically bankrupt (Coyotes, Isles) so the Habs are stuck in neutral on the trade front with a very depleted d corps. And man, I wish AK46 could be moved but who the hell would want him???

Buckle up, boys, gonna be a rough ride to the finish line!

21. Habnofear says:

Punkster,I bet you’ve been saying the same thing for 19 years lol…Look ,none says trade  Price ,PK ,DD,Pouliot or Patches  but after that anything goes and we all know how the Habs come up short with or without Markov.You can only race after a crash WHEN REPAIRES ARE DONE and the whole point of the race is to WIN!

22. The Cat says:

I know its different than what I said, youre the one that said the car isnt fine tuned enough…Just saying, to me, the habs got to not lean on a fence so much.

23. Chris says:

You have to trade quality to get quality:  Johnson and McClement for Shattenkirk and Stewart is a pretty good trade for both teams.

Erik Johnson still has the potential to develop into an elite defenceman.  Shattenkirk has shown that he is a pretty decent offensive defenceman already, and Stewart has established himself as perhaps the top young power forward in the league.

This is exactly the type of deal that I think the Habs need to start getting involved in.  Trading young players for more young players.  In Montreal, fans seem to get too attached to our draft picks.  I’ve seen guys like Leblanc already mentioned as untouchables.  This always makes me shake my head…there isn’t a single player on the Habs roster that is untouchable.  Subban and Pacioretty might be the closest to that status:  Subban because he has the potential to be an elite two-way defenceman, Pacioretty because he seems to be developing into a power forward, a very rare commodity in the NHL.

I would deal Plekanec or Price if the right deal came along without blinking.  This doesn’t mean I’d throw them away, but if a true elite player was available and the other team was asking for either of those guys, I’d do it.

24. The Cat says:

Red just emailed me and told me to tell you that he doesnt like your post!

He also adds:

P.S. zing!

25. Led says:

I agree with you about Gomez. I don’t think losing him leaves as big a hole as some people insist. If we’re not contenders anyway (as most seem to believe) then hurting the “now” really doesn’t matter when compared with the huge benifit moving forward. I think we survive just as well with DD anyway, and Eller is another option at C. IMO best case is we get rid of Gomez and acquire a Jason Arnott type of center to make it to the off-season.

I don’t think the Brewer deal was too expensive but I agree with not giving away primo prospects or first rounders. I do think PG should try a few complimentary moves of the slightly better-than-Mara type (i.e. lower picks/prospects/Pyatt/AK) which could help give us a better chance at a surprise playoff run.

26. SeriousFan09 says:

It’s bold, but I question whether each side really helped themselves out. COL now has to find a new power forward who’s going to approach what Chris Stewart can bring to a game, which is how common exactly? I think considering St Louis seeing Brewer off and now packaging away Johnson, they’re going to take a hit on defensive depth. Both teams made moves to improve a particular positon no doubt, but now they’ve arguably weakened themselves just as much at the position they just pulled assets from.

Price has to be considered an untouchable, he’s years from his prime and has been an outstanding goaltender this season, I like Ramo’s season over in the KHL but I would never expect him to fill Carey’s shoes. Subban and Pacioretty are untouchables because of their youth and potential. I’d move Leblanc or anyone in the system that we have right now if it addressed an organizational need long-term but Price, Pacioretty and Subban need to be foundation of the Habs youth going forward.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

27. SeriousFan09 says:

Peverly isn’t that good, he just plays like a bloody All-Star the second he sees the CH.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

28. Mattyleg says:

Holy crud, just found out about Peverley to Boston.

That’s a big move. He’s good, and that bodes unwell for us.

Stupid Thrashers. Why on Earth would you trade away one of your scoring leaders?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Our fun this spring will be watching Boston and Philly beat the snot out of each other, before losing to the west.!

30. Led says:

You’re right for the right deal anyone should be available. I’m mean the Oilers traded Gretzky and then prceeded to win another cup. Closer to home we all thought that we would never survive without Markov but we have done better without him this full year than in all the years with him. I love Markov but for a great deal he would be available, same goes for Plecks and, “oh my God” Price. However, in the short term and depending on teams needs I don’t think it always has to be (perceived) quality to get quality. Teams unloading unwanted solid veterans for cap space and low picks/prospects should be the area PG explores to help provide us with some depth for the here and now.

31. Bugs says:

The second Halak was traded, the Priceberg became an untouchable, right or wrong, thankfully, it turned out right.

Soobie’s an untouchable. Franchise players are few and far between, and in my opinion, Soobie fits that mould.

Young num 1 goalies, defencemen, and forwards should be untouchables. We got 2 outta 3, so any other deal makes our team better, I’m all for it.

Plecky and Pac-Man be damned.

32. punkster says:

Not really 19 years. I haven’t been steeped in the tradition that long, only a casual fan until the past 6 years or so. As for trades, Price is the only one that may get a pass but nobody is really untouchable for the right offer. Take Price for example. If a ridiculous offer came along with, say, Crosby, Malkin and J. Staal for Price would you turn it down? Ain’t gonna happen, but if it did? As for today’s world, let’s get real here. Markov and Gorges out for the season plus the rash of other injuries decimating the team have pretty well put a stop to any realistic thoughts of a Cup run this season. Like you said, you called it last summer, this is not the year. There’s no point in selling any assets unless we get better in return and there just aren’t that many in that category out there just now. No, apart from a minor move or two the team we got is the team we got…for now.

***Subbang!!!***

33. punkster says:

Crosbie, Malkin and J. Staal for PK, straight up. Do you do the deal?

***Subbang!!!***

34. Mattyleg says:

14G 20A and he’s been pretty sweet for me in my pool.

He’s no Stamkos, but picking up a player that notched up 55pts last year is no shabby thing.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

35. New says:

Ya, Boston is better on the wing and D than Montreal and Peverly makes them stronger at center with Savard out. Tampa is better on D and way better at center. Colorado is better down the middle, and on D.

Poor Halak in St Louis. They will be saying things like good, young, skilled, and future. (Too bad Montreal hadn’t copyrighted those words – imagine 18 years of royalties).

What would really help San Jose, Anahiem, or LA compete would be Gomez out there. Maybe even on the ice, at intermissions.

36. Sportfan says:

Erik Johnson got traded from St Louis to the Avs was not expecting that kinda wish we had tried to get him him oh well.

It’s funny all these trades are being made now which means TSN gets major screwed over because so many big deals are done and they wont have much to report serves tehm right to over hype the trade deadline. Dont get me wrong i like TSN a lot but they over hype stuff way too much

37. Bugs says:

And in the meantime, we come in through the back door to beat Pitt and Atlanta before goin up against the Caners?

I like that, Mr.Ian, yes!

38. punkster says:

Richards, Carter, Giroux, Hartnell for Price. Do you do the deal?

***Subbang!!!***

39. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I love it.

Stupid TSN. I hope nothing happens so that they sit there muttering their platitudes for four (six?) hours.

Drop the American concept, already.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

40. jimmy shaker says:

Both far flung scenario’s would never even come out of holmgrem’s, shero’s or pg’s mouths, let alone even get pen to paper, so this is a moot point.  But if holmgrem and shero would be burkie enough to do these moves, than if I was the gm I would do it for sure.  Mind you I would have to use junior or ahl players to fill out the rest of my roster as  I would have no cap space left, but I would do it and tell PG to go for it as well.

Shaker

41. Habnofear says:

If we can unload our overpriced veteran corps when they are in demand by others for a play-off run then for the sake of cap space we should.Let the rebuild begin!….. It will be a lot easier too do it now then in the off season imo.

42. Bugs says:

What deal, the radical, never-happen, just-to-get-you-to-say-buddy’s-not-an-untouchable deal? THAT deal?

Yeah, sure, why not? It probably comes with a complimentary bj from Jessica Alba, right?

But any proposed deal in the REAL world, surely not.

43. BJ says:

Agreed on Price. And not far behind is PK. Who else would be worth more?

44. Ayan_SB says:

Who would you realistically trade Price for, a 23 year-old goaltender who most likely hasn’t reached his potential yet?

Name me one elite offensive player not named Crosby/Stamkos/Ovechkin that you’d trade him for.

45. Bugs says:

Heille, y l’ont-tu l’affaire, les AmAricains, hein?

46. Bugs says:

For the record, Felix, I really dig your new laid-back persona.

You just be CHILLIN in that pic, like “yo, wassup; watchin some tv over here; what can I do for ya?”

47. New says:

The only hole Gomez would leave if he was gone is that lack of coverage he provides because he is a step behind his check. If Mr. Gomez was named Boyd he would have been in the AHL and Boyd would be up. The man is -15 in 56 games. Everyone around him fails to score, and the opposition scores when he is on. Even the mighty Wiz is only -1 in the 10 games or so he played with this team, and he was like -18 with NY. If the whole team was shaky I could understand, but they are not. +- is a reflection of team play usually, because hockey is a team game. When you have an anomoly like this at the 3/4 mark then someone has an attitude.

Gomez is a valuable NHL player as a third line checker who can turn it on and burn you big time if you don’t put a second or first line center against him. When he doesn’t want to work hard he is just another third line center with a Lats or Laps attitude.

Boucher however might very well have salvaged this project, and that rubs me too.

48. Led says:

By stating those 3 names you illustrate his point because you are saying Price would then be tradable for one of those players. He’s just arguing against the set in stone “we can never trade _______” mentality. Would you not consider trading Price for a solid center, d-man and 1st rounder? I know I would.

49. Shiloh says:

Absolutely agree that we should trade anybody if the right offer is there. The priority should be to move Gomez, if at all possible. I disagree with Arpon Basu when he says we’d have to get an NHL-ready player in return. We can do that in the summer – or even next fall – with the $7.35 million we save. Our centres could be Pleks, Eller, Desharnais and Halpern.

We can dick around and tread water for another decade, never getting a superstar, never icing an offensive team, or we can try to do something about it. Let’s start by bringing in a coach who will open up the game and moving Gomer – even if it is to Hamilton.

50. Sportfan says:

hAHA exactly ! they are just going to re analyze every trade that was made

nothing that big will happen on the 28th if it does ill be in shock

… and as always other teams actually get better while Habs get… Paul Mara. Plus ca change…

52. Chris says:

Crosby, Malkin, E. Staal, Getzlaf, etc.

If you’re not the best at your position, you are tradeable.

And even then, circumstances like the salary cap or internal team friction can make a star expendable.

53. Shiloh says:

As long as they throw in a year’s supply of anti-depressant meds for many of the posters here at Price-Inside-Out.

54. Mike D says:

So what’s with all these MTL-FLA rumours about Weiss??  I’ve ignored them for the most part and I realize Engels was the first person to bring them up (or make them up), but over the past few days I’ve heard them on TSN and Sportsnet too.  Not saying I believe them, but wondering if there is more validity to them than I initially thought.  Let’s pretend for a second that there is…

Weiss is a Center, which is a position where we have an adundance of players (and LW too).  He’s 27, and signed until the end of the 2013 season at a friendly 3.1mil cap hit.  Given his skill set and style of play, he’s a perfect 2nd liner (not good enough for the 1st line unless it’s a bad team or temp. fill-in, not suited to a bottom 6 role).  The only way this deal would make sense for both teams is if the trade was Center for Center.  That being the case…

Pleks for Weiss – Not gonna happen, period.  PG, you better agree with that!

DD or Eller for Weiss – We’re cap tight and can’t afford Weiss’s salary if we only shed one of these guy’s salary.  I also doubt PG or JM would want to ruin the chemistry that DD seems to have with Poolio/Darche/White.  Eller has a lot of potential and I doubt they’ve given up on him yet, plus the cap problems again make this unfeasible for us.

That leaves Gomez for Weiss – I’m sure we’d all love to do this deal and it makes perfect sense for us since we’d get a suitabe replacement for a much smaller cap hit and it allows us to add a very good player at the wing or on D with the free’d up cap room.  Problem is that I can’t fathom FLA making this deal as they are a team that stays at the cap floor.

The wishful thinker in me wonders though if Weiss for Gomez could happen for the following reasons:

Cap floor going up and FLA may need to add salary to make it.  After next season Gomez’s salary becomes considerably smaller, but his cap hit remains 7.357mil which is very attractive for teams that stay towards the cap floor and want to keep their true expenses down.  FLA has a lot of UFAs and RFAs this summer and need to do something.  There could certainly be other pieces involved to make this more attractive for them…specifically in goal if Vokoun doesn’t re-sign (we could offer Ramo), and possibly on D if McCabe leaves as they’ll need someone for the PP (we could offer Wiz, or more likely Weber).  Of course there’s always the possibility we add picks or prospects to make this more appealing for them too.

What do you guys think?  Is there ANY reasonable chance something like this could happen?  Or is it that multiple people are spreading the same false rumour?  I think it’s likely the latter, but am crossing my fingers it’s the former.

– Honestly yours

55. Chris says:

Look at all the great goalies uncovered around the league, Mike.  I just don’t see how ANY goalie can be perceived as untouchable in today’s league.

Rinne, Quick, Thomas…the goaltending leaders of the NHL are a hodge-podge of “can’t miss prospects” and “who the heck is this guy?”

If the Penguins come along and say we’ll give you Malkin for Price, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Let’s say the Ducks hit some finanical difficulties.  Would you turn down Getzlaf for Price?  Which guy is the harder to replace:  a #1 goalie or a true power-forward?

56. punkster says:

Never say never Bugs. Which is why “untouchable” just doesn’t fly in pro sports if the right offer is made. You and I may think and believe with all our hearts that Price, PK, Pleks…whoever…is not up for debate but we are just fans. We don’t own or manage the assets and we don’t live or die by the number of butts in the seats and jerseys sold. To those people it’s a business. So imagine this, instead of a low scoring team with amazing goaltending and a chance to take us far we have a high scoring team with average goaltending and a chance to take us far. Is it a tossup? What type of team would you rather see? Which one gives us a better shot at a Cup? Just asking, that’s all.

***Subbang!!!***

57. Matt_in_TO says:

From the way TSN is covering the Kaberle deal you’d think the Bruins just traded for Bobby Orr.

– In Price We Trust

58. Chris says:

Getzlaf. Zetterberg. Datsyuk. Eric Staal. Malkin. Backstrom. Henrik Sedin. Drew Doughty. Duncan Keith. I’d deal Price for any of those guys, straight up.

This is where people chime in with “THAT is why I’m glad you aren’t the GM!”. :)

It comes out of my belief that it is harder to find a truly dominant game-breaker up front than it is to find a good goalie.

59. punkster says:

I think I would too, if the rest of our roster was healthy. Of course it’s easy for us to speculate and play GM on the internet. When it comes to the real world we’d likely screw up the deal somehow 😉

***Subbang!!!***

60. Chris says:

Sure, if you were locked in to not making any more trades.

But Cory Schneider is stuck behind Luongo in Vancouver.  Tuukka Rask is stuck behind Thomas in Boston.  Washington is going to have to make a decision soon on whether it will be Varlamov or Neuvirth moving forwards.

There are good goalies out there.  If you can get a MAJOR upgrade at another key position, that could mitigate the downgrade in net.  I understand that Price is the franchise, but one team that relies on its goalie as heavily as the Canadiens do has won the Stanley Cup since the mid-1990’s:  the 2002-03 New Jersey Devils.  All the other teams were strong offensively and defensively.

61. larisalapointe says:

Exactly,anyways, she’s too old to sell anymore. 😉

62. punkster says:

Why trade when for the price of a hot car and some fine hair products we can have Breeze back. Mmmmm, mmm…DO IT PG!!!

***Subbang!!!***

63. Shiloh says:

This should be framed. Well said.

64. fbkj says:

well besides a snarky gomez joke, what do you propose?

65. larisalapointe says:

Haha, good one Shiloh. Maybe we’ll follow the Halakalite’s lead and become Philly fans, and then come on to HIO and grossly over-complain when the Habs’ goalie lets in the occasional “softie”

66. punkster says:

Naa, you wouldn’t. Some things in life are too precious to sell.

Although…at around 15 my son…nope, never mind, he’s 21 now and priceless :)

***Subbang!!!***

67. Shiloh says:

Well – now you’re on to something. There are many who think this team is ready for a retooling. If it was combined with the removal of Gomer’s cap hit, it could signal a new era. Just not convinced this team can go deep into the playoffs.

68. solomio says:

Kaberle is a very very good defenceman with good scoring capabilities. He is a perfect fit in Boston and not a Neanderthal which is nice for a change and Burke has done really well also. Perhaps the Leafs got the best of it though. With Thomas hot the Bruins can beat Philly. And if Pronger doesn’t chop Chara’s head off first Chara will win that battle Royale.

69. Mike D says:

Malkin is one of the most talented players in the world, no doubt about it. IMO though, he tends to suffer from Kovy-itis….seems disinterested at times and doesn’t always bring his A game. While I’m definitely NOT saying this WILL happen, I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if Malkin becomes a Kovy/Gomez type and in a couple years has people wondering why he’s making 8.7mil. A friend of mine is a true die-hard Pens fan and he shares these concerns too.

– Honestly yours

70. Chris says:

Likely? I KNOW I would screw it up.

71. Bugs says:

Soobie’s an untouchable; you’re the gm of ANY other team of your choice.

Hit me with a deal.

72. joeybarrie says:

A few things I have noticed. NO ONE wants us to give up our prospects, yet everyone wants us to make trades before deadline day to improve this team. I think we would have had to give up Leblanc, Kristo or Tinordi for Brewer. Not worth it if you ask me. I mean how far can we have gotten with Brewer for this season only?

I disagree with Basu on the Lightning giving up little for Brewer. They gave up a 1st round draft pick from 2010 and a player who rates in between Tinordi and Weber. AND a 3rd round selection. By the way, this Beukeboom (awesome name) rates the same as Desharnais. This for a lifetime minus player, so we will see how he does on a team that ranks in a playoff position. But given the Lightning’s GA, I don’t see a major improvement from them. The Lightning are this season Caps. They have the srocing ability, and when their top guys are hot, they are a great team. But if you managed to stifle them in the playoffs, I still see them going out first round. Also they now have 7 D that average more than 17 minutes a game PLUS MAB. You can only dress so many.

Boston did great by picking up Kaberle and Peverly, however, I think losing Wheeler is a mistake. Peverly is a center who can replace Savard temporarily of course, but I think Wheeler will become a better player. I don’t think Boston is better than when they started the season or at least with any game WITH Savard.  I also think Mark Stuart is a better player than Valabik. Having Kaberle will help, but only for this season. So if they don’t make it big in the playoffs, they have traded away some considerable future options… 1st round draft pick in 2008 (who is ranked as high as Kadri), 1 st round draft pick 2011, Future BIG 30 goals scorer (Wheeler). Thats alot for a rental and and a MAYBE. Peverly is 28 and his best season (other than this one) is a 22 goal season with Kovalchuk and has 118 career points in the NHL at 28.

I think the St. Louis Blues got ALOT better….

With our current injuries, especially Markov and Gorges, we already have the players on this team. We are missing a top 2 forward and that’s about it. Maybe right now is not the best time to acquire this. I think we need to see how our healthy guys can finish this season. I would be more worried about messing up next season to see where we can go this season.

But in the end I look at it this way:

To have gotten Shattenkirk and Stewart we would have had to give up PK SUBBAN

To have gotten Kaberle for the end of the season we would have had to give up Leblanc maybe more.

To get Brewer we would have had to give AT LEAST Palushaj (which i probably would have done) but I think they would want more.

To get Peverle we would have had to give up MaxPac.

So to be honest all I am willing to give up is AK, Picard, and Gomez…. And i don’t know what we can get for them.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

73. solomio says:

Mike I admittedly don’t understand the cap hit thing but where do you get that we’re tight? Last I heard with pro rating et al the Habs have something like 12 million in space.

Weiss for wee DD. Never. For Eller..yes I would consider that.

Wiz is a keeper. Habs should keep him. I think Weber may turn out that way also. Picard is expendable and Carle from the Dogs.

Ramos’ value will soar in the coming years. Habs should not let that one get away without someone very very meaningful and not this year.

Gomez for Weiss…absolutely

What the Habs really need to work on is getting thet Russian D Man Yemelin over here, and fast.

74. SeriousFan09 says:

I honeslty wouldn’t want any of those six goalies in MTL.

If there are so many good goalies out there than why is the position turning over so often in the league? COL just went ‘to hell with it’ with Craig Anderson. EDM would love to find a young goaltending solution. Ottawa has been a goaltending gong show since they were founded save Ray Emery’s brief time there. Toronto? Well it’s almost too easy to make jokes. Tampa Bay hasn’t seen it since the Bulin Wall. San Jose’s trying to get by with Niemi, PHI is the same story except their D covers their crap up and the NYI, oh lord…

Finding a good goalie who can play in the critical times for his team is rare Chris, it always has been. From 1991 to 2007, these were the Cup goalies, Barasso, Roy, Richter, Brodeur, Vernon, Osgood, Belfour, Hasek, Khabibulin, Ward and Giguere. These men in their peaks were almost all names to be feared in nets, an outstanding run of top goaltenders helping their team collect Lord Stanley’s Cup. Carey Price being in nets will swing playoff series in MTL’s favour.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

75. kwayze says:

In a way i agree, AK is another Kovalev, he plays when he wants to but when he does he can get it done. As for Gomez, we should get rid of him to free up some cap space and get a player that won’t always try and do it himself. If we wanted players to turn over the puck after getting it into the offensive zone, we would call ourselves the toronto Maple Leafs. Also i think we should look to either get rid of Hamrlik or give him the option to retire, he can not keep up with the hockey of today. Those defensive turn overs are killing us. We should get a player like Stephen Weiss.

76. gloveside says:

In a heartbeat. Real power forwards with such potential are a genuine rarity. Would you trade PK for Nash when he was 22? Of course you would. This is the type of player we desperately need and haven’t had in years!

77. Rugger says:

Exactly, which is why we were not in on it.

78. Mike D says:

HELLLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZ NO

– Honestly yours

79. kirkiswork says:

That is all very reasonable except the part about getting Kovy. He plays once every 10 games.

80. Mike D says:

Not sure why you feel bad for the guys in the room. I’m confident they all are smart enough to know that without Marky and Gorges healthy, no deadline deal that doesn’t severely sacrifice our future and/or create cap problems is really gonna help.

I’m totally with you on adding a defensive coach though. Obviously the organization can afford one and it can only help. 100% with you on that!

– Honestly yours

81. kirkiswork says:

So who you gonna trade, Gomez ? That would be good and there are rumors out there but I doubt it. Maybe we could get somebody for Andre. Any othr ideas ?

82. habstrinifan says:

We DO NOT have to give up on top notch propsects for them. You cant keep EVERY kid in your system. That’s why you draft, to build a cupboard so that you can keep some and deal some.

83. habstrinifan says:

I would trade a draft pick, 6th to 3rd and a prospect from the organization for NEIL AND KOVY. Look before today I had set down all my choices but I feel that with all the moves, the pickings are getting slimmer and slimmer and the ask-back higher and higher. I think before today we coulda done better. As I write, I really feel for the guys in the room if PG allows them to go into the playoffs ASIS.

In the very least show some life and bring up a KICK-ASS guy or two. Prepare for the Playoffs. Add some coaching help. A defensive coach and someone who can push our skaters to achieve ‘goals’. It can be done.. talent can’t be taught but mindset and positioning and execution with that talent CAN BE.

If PG stands up tomorrow and says:
    ‘Look we see all the trades. Our team has tried but canot make a trade without giving up too much. But we also look at our season and see the following so we are addressing it from within with coaching and adjustments and call ups…
    We see that PK started the season as an exciting body-checker and then there was a time he stopped throwing checks and he has resumed but needs coaching on it. We see the excitement of fans who remembers Larry’s huge checks and we want that.. so we are getting a defensive coach
    It would help him and Weber and any other young player we use now.

We see the season long stagnation of our offense. We are gonna bring in a Claude Ruel type fire-brand whose gonna push them and push them and demand ‘execution and goals’ tell them where to go where to shoot from etc etc.. not simply ‘go to the net’ cliche.

We see the need for a combo-line which adds grit and shutdown elements. So we are gonna shuffle our personnel..Eller goes down etc etc.. and we gonna coach that.

We cant trade but Damnit we gonna work as an organization to give this team some identity and style and backbone resembling a true Canadiens team. Please bare with us.

If I hear that then I will be HAPPY.

But I hear and see nothing. All I hear are cliches. All I see is JM talking about ‘one mistake’ or GIONTA saying we ‘have to be better’ or fans saying ‘when Cammy comes back he will light it up’ or fans saying ‘Mara is gonna take care of Chara’. Unreal crap. Do something specific and definable to improve. Geez!

84. bigjames says:

slipt? You are kidding right? hahaha. I am about to give up.

85. habstrinifan says:

Ok a little lecture in my defense smarty pants!

I come from old old British school system, where required reading was Canterbury Tales. And while “slipt” may no longer be in use I defend to the death my right to be archaic.

I make no apologies, if while posting in this angst into which which I have ‘slipt’ because of PG’s lethargy, I ‘slipt’,   back to that little boy in khaki sitting on a stool behind an un-egornomic desk , in a position which causes an uncomfortable chafing of my under-thigh, where the hem of my crisply starched khaki has entwined around the curls of hairs on my legs. While this growth of hair has delightfully added to the pubescent giggles of my female classmates as they observe my pubescence, I remember this angst, as the same that I had ‘slipt’ into when its growth also provoked the reaction that I had indeed been kept back a grade or two.

I feel the same disdain emanating from your words as I felt then. I ask you to temporarily defy the apoplexy and dont ‘give up’ until you have googled the word “slipt” and hope that you would grant that its usage doth indeed have some merit, even if only used by dolts such as  William Thackary in his novel Vanity Fair .. and I quote the following excerpt.

“The boy had been instructed to get over the playground wall (at a selected spot where the broken glass had been removed from the top, and niches made convenient in the brick); to run a quarter of a mile; to purchase a pint of rum-shrub on credit; to brave all the Doctor’s outlying spies, and to clamber back into the playground again; during the performance of which feat, his foot had slipt, and the bottle was broken, and the shrub had been spilt, and his pantaloons had been damaged, and he appeared before his employer a perfectly guilty and trembling, though harmless, wretch.”

I am sure you will find sufficient other examples of its use that you may be dissuaded from ‘giving up’… unless of course thou hath slipt into the lethargy of which I accuse one Pierre Gauthier.

86. punkster says:

This sort of vitriolic rhetoric just makes my day. I’m pretty sure you would simply bitch, whine, complain…and go on about your boiling blood…even if the Habs make a move. Why? Because you have a soap box from which to spout your holier-than-thou, negative Nellie, opinionated, poorly thought out theories of how to run a hockey team in 2011 that everybody in your home room is sick of listening to.

***Subbang!!!***

87. Top Corner says:

You dont have any more of a clue as to what this teams future holds any more than me.  We have seen great things from this team , with a full roster. So to say this is boring , does not compute…to say were stuck with this dismaying team…bull.  Your blood boils cause you wallow in the negative’s of this team , AND it was a full moon the other night….it will pass

Iam not a fairweather fan , so i can guarantee you my blood is not boiling.  I have patience , and i know that all this team needs is some grit up front , and some moves on D this summer will make it even stronger.

WHO SAID this is the only players you will see on the roster for the next 4 years???  Change happens , and there will be some big ones over the summer.  Now , now is not the time , its like Christmas shopping right now…..wayyy to much.  We need long term , not a ‘hope in hell’ rental , that we gave up picks for , only to have ’em for a few months!

What moves , and to what would u give up , with 10 days left before the deadline , that will make you wear your habs hat in public again ????  Keep in mind the other side has to be in agreement too , it is called a trade .

88. habstrinifan says:

If we acquire Kovy and Neil for ,and I am gonna go the highest give back.. for a 2nd round pick and say a 5th round pick… you think that that would make this team an embarassment. And I cited the ‘highest give-back’.
    Or going into Boston next week or when it is and getting our ass kicked again, on and off the ice… would that be an embarassment. You tell me!

89. SeriousFan09 says:

You want to see this team became an embarassment? That would involve selling off the farm for unattainable Cup runs over the next couple years.

With Markov + Gorges out, we don’t have the horses on defence to really challenge and we know the scoring isn’t there and MTL can’t afford to rent for both of those needs and not have a crippled farm. Caution is the key, build up the farm and be patient.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

90. habstrinifan says:

WOW! You must be some sort of  profiler. Your description is spot on… except you forgot the my sense of infallibility.

91. SeriousFan09 says:

Montreal’s given up a lot of 2nd-round picks lately and your best chance to convert a prospect into a Top-4 D or a Top-6 Forward is by drafting in first two rounds, I don’t want the Canadiens to keep missing in the round where they get their best defencemen since Andrei Markov was drafted in ’98.

Right now, rather not pick up a dime-a-dozen agitator on the wrong side of his career and another enigma for possible futures.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

92. Rugger says:

Would you have done PK for Stewart?

93. Mike D says:

I too was very surprised that the Avs traded Stewart. I wonder what it would have cost us to get him here?

– Honestly yours

94. The Cat says:

The habs are just blessed with unexciting sedate GMs.

95. gloveside says:

Blues acquire Chris Stewart – maybe the best up and coming power forward in the league…who knew he was available? Ballsy trade by St. Louis giving up Johnson, etc. to try and remake their team! C’mon PG let’s get in on some of that!

96. Mike D says:

A couple things I don’t want to see for the rest of this year:

– An injury to another defenseman.

– Moen playing on the top 6 (seriously JM, enough’s enough)!

A couple things that surprised me yesterday:

– Mtl. South got Brewer for a half-ass prospect and a 3rd.

– The St.L/COL trade with Johnson and McClement for Stewart and Shattenkirk. Amazing how I thought the Blues got nothing for Brewer given the market for D-men, then turn around and bend the Avs over for Stewart and Shat. I realize Johnson was a 1st overall pick, but McClement was a throw-in. Stewart’s a pretty awesome power forward and unless Shat pulls a Daigle and falls off the map in the next year or two, Blues win this hands-down (even if Johnson gets it together and reaches his potential).

– Honestly yours

97. The Cat says:

Though I think hes ultra bad defensively. I would get MAB for a 7th rounder, habs are so dependant on the PP, itd be silly not to.

98. jimmy shaker says:

Here comes PG’s moves for the day……….

– MAB from tampa for a 7th rounder.

– kovy from ottawa for  4th rounder.

– Neil from ottawa for pyatt and a 3rd rounder.

shaker

99. SeriousFan09 says:

Wouldn’t trade to get MAB for a spark plug for the Zambonis.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

100. kirkiswork says:

My god,

MAB and Kovy, talk about going in reverse, much better to do nothing.

101. habstrinifan says:

Interesting observation made on team990 about the Alumni game. Ran down the list of players. If you are anywhere near my age, you would have been shocked at the  thought that a Canadiens alumni team will go into a game seemingly with the ‘lesser talent’. It shows how this franchise has slipt in creating ‘greatness’ in the last decade or so.

102. GoalieGrey says:

Looking forward to the Alumni game (4:30 MST) with all the “old” Habs, or at least ones I can remember playing at least part of their careers!

103. habstrinifan says:

It would be a ‘perfect’ move in the circumstances. And it would give the boys in the room true confidence that at least their GM is trying to help them NOW while not destroying the future. I dont want MAB. But the other two because I think it is too late now to get better and not give up too much… and by Monday it may be too late to even get these as A PAIR… which is what we need.

104. jimmy shaker says:

We’ll just agree to disagree like always, so we don’t get into a long back and fourth thread, but without giving up too much, these would be ideal moves for PG and co. Maybe not MAB so much, but kovy and neil I would do for sure.

Shaker

105. Propwash says:

C’mon PG, make a trade for the sake of making a trade so therefore I can complain about it later. DO IT PG!

106. habstrinifan says:

No habs hockey tonight. Thank God! Maybe PG will get to work!

107. habstrinifan says:

This sort of pollyana crap makes my blood boil. Because I am afraid that if PG and Molson and JM really see things  as you have described, then I am in for many many more years of a clawing, inconsistent, low-producing, boring, dismaying team to watch. And will sit like Mario Tremblay in front my TV, while this legendary team not only deteriorates but get their ass kicked in the process.

108. Top Corner says:

If any of us have learned ANYthing , and there is going to be a trade involving the HABS….no one will have guessed it :)  C’monnnn , we know better……and dont forget , PG made moves over the holidays , so just cause it’s not in the spirit of trade deadline week….dont say he’s doing NOTHING , he beat all GM’s to the punch on THE WIZ , steal of the season , no?!?!

PG does NOT conduct his business in public like binnoculars burke will have everyone watch….swear to gawwwd that old man just wants his own reality show….pathetic!

I dont want to know who PG’s  gunnin’ for…..cause i would be more pissed if i knew who we “could” have had , like a lot of peeps are over not getting Kaberle/Brewer……crap!  U kidding me ???  PG and BG have made great moves , and its proven to work cause….despite the injuries were where in the standings ????

If we could trade injured players for healthy ones…..who would do it ???  Not gonna happen , Go out and sign a huge rental and are you 100 % they will be injury free themselves untill the end of the playoffs ???

In the meantime,  have patience , and ‘will’ bos/philly to lose 1st round , and key players in between, that is all !

109. duffy says:

And PG sits asleep while many other gm,s around the league are making there teams stronger ,no different than in the past.

110. Bob_Sacamano says:

1. He already acquired Wisniewski weeks ago and he traded for Mara.

2. He has still more than a week to make another move.

3. With Markov and Gorges gone for the season and a second line center who is the worst shooter among all teams top six forwards, the Habs are no contender.

111. kirkiswork says:

Yeah, it would be great to give up a few of our up and coming promising young kids for a big bandaid.

112. SeriousFan09 says:

I guess both teams wanted to shake it up for the STL-COL blockbuster, but at the same time it seems a bit odd to me. almost like swapping for needs, but at the same time you’re shorting yourself in another area.

We have Erik Johnson, 22-year old 1st overall pick in 2006, Olympian, he’s had some knee problems but he’s still extremely young and is the only defencemen to go 1st overall in the draft since Chris Phillips in 1996. Potential #1, or a really, really great #2 defencemen, he and Pietrangelo could have been a hell of a thing for St Louis over the next 15 years, and they also just let Eric Brewer go. Shattenkirk coming back is certainly going to help a bit on D but he’s not a real two-way defencemen and with both Brewer + Johnson gone they’re hurting for defensive Ds.

Than you have Chris Stewart, who’s about as rare as you can get for an NHL asset these days, a true power forward the same age as Johnson. Very promising, 28G last season and he was on fire until he broke his hand this year. Kevin Shattenkirk is their blue-chip offensive defencemen prospect. Johnson coming there softens the blow of course but I don’t think they exactly have another Stewart in their system.

Both teams see a huge potential future part of their franchise go, that they’re going to have find a way to replace down the line, granted now they’ve boosted themselves in another area but it seems this was just subtraction from one area to add to another. It would be like MTL trading PK Subban to get that Big Centre who can score 30+ goals and get 90 points. Yes now we’ve got our centre but our future D just went to hell. That ain’t ever happening, just citing an example.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.