No Habs hockey on Saturday?

What to do with the free time?

If you’re Pierre Gauthier: Worry, because the Bruins and Lightning got better on a Freaky Friday that saw blockbuster trades all over the NHL.

Maybe the Canadiens GM is holding off so the TSN guys have something to talk about on the 28th.

Cammalleri returns tomorrow

Fickle weather? No problem

Red Fisher does not love outdoor hockey

• Red on the Kaberle trade, Michael Grabner and Red’s Notebook

The National Parity League

How the Flames righted the ship

A late-breaking Blues blockbuster

Arpon Basu sizes up the trading frenzy

What’s left for the deadline?

1. punkster says:

I think I would too, if the rest of our roster was healthy. Of course it’s easy for us to speculate and play GM on the internet. When it comes to the real world we’d likely screw up the deal somehow ;)

***Subbang!!!***

2. Chris says:

Dial it back to reasonable: P.K. Subban and a 1st round pick for Malkin (if the Penguins decide they want to liberate $8 million from their salary cap). I know that I’d do that trade. :)

3. Chris says:

Same as it has always been:  $7 357 143.

4. Chris says:

Just read Basu’s article.  Let’s just say I disagree.

Projecting anything 2-3 years from now in today’s NHL is pointless, because we have no idea who will still be on the team, something that Habs fans should be the most familiar with.  Only 5 players remain from the 2007-08 Montreal Canadiens team that finished 1st in the Prince of Wales Conference (take that, Bettman):  Kostitsyn, Plekanec, Price, Gorges and Hamrlik.  That despite the 2007-08 Montreal Canadiens featuring 12 players 25 or under (of the players that played 20+ games)…THIS year was supposed to be our time.  Yet we had to blow it all up between then and now.

If people think that a team led by Gionta, Gomez, Plekanec and Cammalleri can one day contend for a Stanley Cup, that day needs to come over the next 3 years that we have them signed.  With Pacioretty, Eller, Desharnais, Subban and Weber already playing regular minutes, we don’t have many more players in the system who can help the Montreal Canadiens make the jump to contender over the next 2-3 years.  Palushaj, White, Maxwell and Carle appear to be role players.  If we’re an impact player or two away from contention, that impact player is going to have to come via free agency or trade.  You overpay financially when you try to bring in players to Montreal via free agency, and you often overpay in prospects/draft picks when you try to do it via trade.

I’m actually okay with where we are, as I’ve always been convinced that you need a lot of luck and a superstar or two to win the Stanley Cup.  The Montreal Canadiens seem to have been cursed with bad luck most years since moving out of the Forum, and we have no superstars.  It just gets my back up a little when I constantly hear “in 2-3 years we’ll be ready for OUR run”, as this ignores the realities of the NHL.

Any junior hockey fan knows the build-win-rebuild cycle well…everybody tries to build for a run every 3-4 years.  3-5 teams per year in each league (more this year in a very weird OHL) actually look well poised, and therefore the trades happen:  the contending teams load up even more, while everybody else takes picks and young players and re-starts the clock.

If you’re not planning on winning now, you should be getting the assets to win in the future.  Montreal is not doing either:  we won’t trade our veterans that aren’t likely to be around when we plan to contend, nor will we trade our youth to make a run with the veterans we have.  At some point we have to pick our poison.  Continuing to delay that choice will continue to leave us right where we’ve been for the past decade:  somewhere in the middle of the pack (10th-20th overall), never a legitimate contender for a Stanley Cup run.

5. larisalapointe says:

I wouldn’t sell my firstborn for a million dollars, but for a billion?  Hell yes!

6. Chris says:

Sure, if you were locked in to not making any more trades.

But Cory Schneider is stuck behind Luongo in Vancouver.  Tuukka Rask is stuck behind Thomas in Boston.  Washington is going to have to make a decision soon on whether it will be Varlamov or Neuvirth moving forwards.

There are good goalies out there.  If you can get a MAJOR upgrade at another key position, that could mitigate the downgrade in net.  I understand that Price is the franchise, but one team that relies on its goalie as heavily as the Canadiens do has won the Stanley Cup since the mid-1990’s:  the 2002-03 New Jersey Devils.  All the other teams were strong offensively and defensively.

7. BJ says:

Price, Plekanec, Pacioretty, Subban????? For who?

8. larisalapointe says:

Exactly,anyways, she’s too old to sell anymore. ;)

9. Mike Boone says:

Not Price. He is the cornerstone, and there’s nothing behind him unless Karri Ramo is going to be an elite NHL goaltender. Without Price, they’d have to re-tool the team.

10. punkster says:

Why trade when for the price of a hot car and some fine hair products we can have Breeze back. Mmmmm, mmm…DO IT PG!!!

***Subbang!!!***

11. The Cat says:

Exactly. Never say never.

12. Shiloh says:

This should be framed. Well said.

13. punkster says:

Riff raff for picks is not a bad idea though that isn’t exactly the risky maneuver you mention above, is it? I don’t expect any great earth shattering moves by the Habs before the deadline and I certainly hope there are no high priced rentals.

***Subbang!!!***

14. solomio says:

Here here I second that emotion

15. fbkj says:

well besides a snarky gomez joke, what do you propose?

16. larisalapointe says:

Haha, good one Shiloh. Maybe we’ll follow the Halakalite’s lead and become Philly fans, and then come on to HIO and grossly over-complain when the Habs’ goalie lets in the occasional “softie”

17. Chris says:

All hypotheticals, but you never know when a guy wants out.  So let’s pretend…

Drew Doughty for P.K. Subban.  Do you do that one?

Ryan Getzlaf for P.K. Subban.  How about that one?

Evgeni Malkin and Simon Depres for P.K. Subban, Tomas Plekanec and a first round draft pick.

I’m not saying we absolutely do those trades.  But you sure would think long and hard about them.

18. punkster says:

Naa, you wouldn’t. Some things in life are too precious to sell.

Although…at around 15 my son…nope, never mind, he’s 21 now and priceless :)

***Subbang!!!***

19. solomio says:

Unequivically NO. Price will very soon be the BEST goaltender in the league.

20. Shiloh says:

Well – now you’re on to something. There are many who think this team is ready for a retooling. If it was combined with the removal of Gomer’s cap hit, it could signal a new era. Just not convinced this team can go deep into the playoffs.

21. joeybarrie says:

I wouldn’t trade Price for anything short of the 5 best players in the league. Your right. I truly believe he is our best player, and he is so young for a goalie. Say what you will about anyone who makes decisions in the NHL. Former hero’s like Gainey, Roy, Dryden, etc know a few things we don’t. And while it’s true that you never know, if they say to keep a player, to me you keep the player.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

22. gloveside says:

If you are stuck on numbers, Shattenkirk has more points than PK for a crappier team, and while it’s true that PK only has 5 less points than Stewart, Stewart has been out for the last 20 games with a broken hand, so based on his almost point/game pace before the injury, he would be leaving Mr. Subban in the dust points-wise. Everyone on your team has to be tradable for the right price, and for those two [both 1st round picks as well for all those who are hung up on that player parameter] moving PK and whatever, is the the right price.

I agree we have a really decent 2-way centre in Pleks, but a number 1? Not so sure. As for Price, I’m glad he has begun to really take the job and run with it. He deserves our support. We play it too safe as a club. We need to take some chances to be able to step up to the next level.

Would you trade PK for a younger Nash? I think so.

23. solomio says:

Kaberle is a very very good defenceman with good scoring capabilities. He is a perfect fit in Boston and not a Neanderthal which is nice for a change and Burke has done really well also. Perhaps the Leafs got the best of it though. With Thomas hot the Bruins can beat Philly. And if Pronger doesn’t chop Chara’s head off first Chara will win that battle Royale.

24. Chris says:

That might be true, although I think some of his woes this year are obviously related to his knee woes.

But man…even his B or C level is better than the A level of anybody we have on our roster.  Malkin has definitely slowed his production in the past two years, but that can be at least partially explained by a variety of injuries (shoulder, knees, broken foot).

He has proven that he can bring it in the playoffs and in the regular season.  I would be a bit shocked if Malkin came down to the Kovalev or Gomez level simply because he is already a far better player than either of those guys ever were.  He’s still only 24 years old (turns 25 this summer) and is just hitting his prime.  Every trade is a roll of the dice, but there are few guys I’d feel safer rolling the dice on than Malkin.

25. Mike D says:

Malkin is one of the most talented players in the world, no doubt about it. IMO though, he tends to suffer from Kovy-itis….seems disinterested at times and doesn’t always bring his A game. While I’m definitely NOT saying this WILL happen, I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if Malkin becomes a Kovy/Gomez type and in a couple years has people wondering why he’s making 8.7mil. A friend of mine is a true die-hard Pens fan and he shares these concerns too.

– Honestly yours

26. SeriousFan09 says:

Burying Gomez in Hamilton a year and 3/4 into his contract would kill MTL as a destination for free agents and guys willing to waive NTC to come here. I know a lot of people want Gomez out but the Hamilton thing is a bad joke. They are not in the position to treat veteran players like that and expect no consequences.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

27. Chris says:

Likely? I KNOW I would screw it up.

28. solomio says:

You’d sell one of your children ? You oughta be locked away and castrated

29. matrags says:

well said Chris I want out of Limbo.

30. solomio says:

The Habs have been and will be again both. Be patient, again

31. Clay4bc says:

Wow, talk about the “Cult of Price”!

Look, Price is turning into a good goalie – or at least is having a good season. But let’s face it – he is 11th in GAA, and 14th in Save %. He is not untradeable if the right player(s) are offered in return.

__________________________

The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions. ~Susan Sontag

32. Bugs says:

Soobie’s an untouchable; you’re the gm of ANY other team of your choice.

Hit me with a deal.

33. Bill H says:

Sure, Price could swing a series.  And I’d hate to lose him.  But if Edmonton would love to find a young goaltender so much, maybe they would send Taylor Hall the other way, since they have so many young talented forwards in their system.

34. joeybarrie says:

A few things I have noticed. NO ONE wants us to give up our prospects, yet everyone wants us to make trades before deadline day to improve this team. I think we would have had to give up Leblanc, Kristo or Tinordi for Brewer. Not worth it if you ask me. I mean how far can we have gotten with Brewer for this season only?

I disagree with Basu on the Lightning giving up little for Brewer. They gave up a 1st round draft pick from 2010 and a player who rates in between Tinordi and Weber. AND a 3rd round selection. By the way, this Beukeboom (awesome name) rates the same as Desharnais. This for a lifetime minus player, so we will see how he does on a team that ranks in a playoff position. But given the Lightning’s GA, I don’t see a major improvement from them. The Lightning are this season Caps. They have the srocing ability, and when their top guys are hot, they are a great team. But if you managed to stifle them in the playoffs, I still see them going out first round. Also they now have 7 D that average more than 17 minutes a game PLUS MAB. You can only dress so many.

Boston did great by picking up Kaberle and Peverly, however, I think losing Wheeler is a mistake. Peverly is a center who can replace Savard temporarily of course, but I think Wheeler will become a better player. I don’t think Boston is better than when they started the season or at least with any game WITH Savard.  I also think Mark Stuart is a better player than Valabik. Having Kaberle will help, but only for this season. So if they don’t make it big in the playoffs, they have traded away some considerable future options… 1st round draft pick in 2008 (who is ranked as high as Kadri), 1 st round draft pick 2011, Future BIG 30 goals scorer (Wheeler). Thats alot for a rental and and a MAYBE. Peverly is 28 and his best season (other than this one) is a 22 goal season with Kovalchuk and has 118 career points in the NHL at 28.

I think the St. Louis Blues got ALOT better….

With our current injuries, especially Markov and Gorges, we already have the players on this team. We are missing a top 2 forward and that’s about it. Maybe right now is not the best time to acquire this. I think we need to see how our healthy guys can finish this season. I would be more worried about messing up next season to see where we can go this season.

But in the end I look at it this way:

To have gotten Shattenkirk and Stewart we would have had to give up PK SUBBAN

To have gotten Kaberle for the end of the season we would have had to give up Leblanc maybe more.

To get Brewer we would have had to give AT LEAST Palushaj (which i probably would have done) but I think they would want more.

To get Peverle we would have had to give up MaxPac.

So to be honest all I am willing to give up is AK, Picard, and Gomez…. And i don’t know what we can get for them.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

35. solomio says:

Stop yr fkg nonsense

36. larisalapointe says:

I hope you’re joking or you missed the point. I would rather die than be separated from my child.

And I believe women can’t be castrated.

37. Bugs says:

1st deal: Soobie doesn’t want out. I incorporate that piece of info into my overall assesment of him as an untouchable. So to consider that scenario, I’m assuming Doughty wants out or they want HIM out, or else he would be an untouchable for them. Why would I trade one of my num 1 boys who isn’t giving me any problems I can’t handle for a num 1 player who’s giving the other team problems they CAN’T handle? I wouldn’t.

2nd deal: it would be no. Without Soobie, there’s no more imagination on defence to start any creative breakouts and no amount of Getzlafs could overcome that. I couldn’t do that deal; it would hurt my team.

3rd deal: no. I haven’t seen enough of Despres to take the chance of handing him Soobie’s spot, and if I can’t hand him Soobie’s spot, I got the same problem as in num2.

38. punkster says:

These are actually no more nonsensical than many propsed trades on HI/O. And it’s all in good fun. And the Leaf site is waaaaay that way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

***Subbang!!!***

39. punkster says:

Benee Wafers?

***Subbang!!!***

40. joeybarrie says:

Ill ask the other way around. Is Stewart someone you can build a team around?

The players who are. Ovie, Crosby, Stamkos, all had ALOT more points than Stewart at the same point in their career….

PK has more than just personality. It’s his ROOKIE season and he has 5 less points than Stewart, AS A DEFENDER. Stewart has slightly more than AK numbers in his first 3 seasons.

PK is playing between 22 minutes and 30 minutes a game. He has in his first 100 games in the NHL gone to the Conf Finals and helped keep us in 6th place despite ALL our D going down to injury.

Wouldn’t trade him for ANYONE who is tradable.

We are building our team around one of the best 2 way centers in the league (if not the best). One of the best goalies in the league at a YOUNG age, Hopefully one of the best defenseman in the league, and some pretty good prospects.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

41. punkster says:

And my tongue-in-cheek suggestions are nonsense? ;)

***Subbang!!!***

42. Clay4bc says:

a lot. not ALOT, but a lot…just sayin’

__________________________

43. gumper says:

Can anyone explain to me why our cap hit for Gomez remains high even though his salary declines?

44. Rugger says:

Cap hit is based upon the average for the entire contract.

45. solomio says:

Mike I admittedly don’t understand the cap hit thing but where do you get that we’re tight? Last I heard with pro rating et al the Habs have something like 12 million in space.

Weiss for wee DD. Never. For Eller..yes I would consider that.

Wiz is a keeper. Habs should keep him. I think Weber may turn out that way also. Picard is expendable and Carle from the Dogs.

Ramos’ value will soar in the coming years. Habs should not let that one get away without someone very very meaningful and not this year.

Gomez for Weiss…absolutely

What the Habs really need to work on is getting thet Russian D Man Yemelin over here, and fast.

46. SeriousFan09 says:

I honeslty wouldn’t want any of those six goalies in MTL.

If there are so many good goalies out there than why is the position turning over so often in the league? COL just went ‘to hell with it’ with Craig Anderson. EDM would love to find a young goaltending solution. Ottawa has been a goaltending gong show since they were founded save Ray Emery’s brief time there. Toronto? Well it’s almost too easy to make jokes. Tampa Bay hasn’t seen it since the Bulin Wall. San Jose’s trying to get by with Niemi, PHI is the same story except their D covers their crap up and the NYI, oh lord…

Finding a good goalie who can play in the critical times for his team is rare Chris, it always has been. From 1991 to 2007, these were the Cup goalies, Barasso, Roy, Richter, Brodeur, Vernon, Osgood, Belfour, Hasek, Khabibulin, Ward and Giguere. These men in their peaks were almost all names to be feared in nets, an outstanding run of top goaltenders helping their team collect Lord Stanley’s Cup. Carey Price being in nets will swing playoff series in MTL’s favour.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

47. Clay4bc says:

Cap hit is the average of his salary over the whole course of the contract. If I make 2 million this year, and 12 million the next on a 2 year deal, my cap hit is 7 million per year.

__________________________

48. habstrinifan says:

Unless it is Gomez I dont want Weiss. Another small guy.. come on!

49. Chris says:

Now list the goalies that got their teams to the finals, Robert. It is a very, very long list.

Most of the guys you won were surrounded by amazingly strong supporting casts. Let’s go year-by-year and look at Stanley Cup winning goalies and the goals scored per game by their team:

• 2009-10: Niemi – 3rd (regular season), 3rd (playoffs)
    • 2008-09: Fleury – 6th (RS), 2nd (PO)
    • 2007-08: Osgood – 3rd (RS), 1st (PO)
    • 2006-07: Giguere – 9th (RS), 4th (PO)
    • 2005-06: Ward – 3rd (RS), 5th (PO)
    • 2003-04: Khabibulin – 3rd (RS), 2nd (PO)
    • 2002-03: Brodeur – 14th (RS), 3rd (PO)
    • 2001-02: Hasek – 2nd (RS), 1st (PO)
    • 2000-01: Roy – 4th (RS), 1st (PO)
    • 1999-00: Brodeur – 2nd (RS), 3rd (PO)
    • 1998-99: Belfour – 8th (RS), 5th (PO)
    • 1997-98: Osgood – 2nd (RS), 1st (PO)

(That is where the NHL website stats stop, and I’m too lazy to go to hockeyreference.com)

We see that in the last 12 Stanley Cup victories, 10 different goalies won. How many guys in the NHL are elite over a decade? I’ll grant Roy, Belfour and Brodeur were elite when they won their Cups. But Hasek was on the decline when he won his, and the other guys were all people who were either good goalies in the right place at the right time or guys who got hot for a year or two.

Only two of those goalies were playing for teams that one can definitively say leaned HEAVILY on their goalies: the 2002-03 Devils and the 1998-99 Stars. All the rest had offences that were amongst the most feared in the NHL.

An elite offence is harder to build than an elite defence. And the elite offence will usually win out, especially if combined with any level of defensive responsibility.

50. habstrinifan says:

Good post. Poster below said we want out of limbo. It seems like Purgatory more and more to me. Maybe it’s paybak for drafting Wickenheiser or trading LeClaire or not doing more with the team of Richer/Lemieux/Momesso etc etc. What an influx of rookies that yera eh. I know we won the cup with them.. against Rangers wasnt it.. but we should kept them all and done more. We seem to have another inflix of good rookies now. Lets do the right thing. Add the right elements.

51. habstrinifan says:

I’ll still watch cause a)Ihave no ifeeaf when it comes to this stuff and b) who knows PG may do something and c) if he doesnt I am sure Pierre McGuire would be bashing PG and I kinda wanna be there for that.

52. habstrinifan says:

OK! I have retrieved the deadly Brazilian wandering spider from your locker. Unfortunately the daddy long legs seemed to have escaped. However its venemous qualities are reputed to be just an urban-myth.

53. habstrinifan says:

Half way joking. And no I didnt miss the point. But I m in surly mood cause of  the non-trading PG and just wanted to throw darts.

54. joeybarrie says:

We wont make the playoff’s with those centers. JM would have to play Pleks into the ground, and risk injury to him.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

55. kwayze says:

In a way i agree, AK is another Kovalev, he plays when he wants to but when he does he can get it done. As for Gomez, we should get rid of him to free up some cap space and get a player that won’t always try and do it himself. If we wanted players to turn over the puck after getting it into the offensive zone, we would call ourselves the toronto Maple Leafs. Also i think we should look to either get rid of Hamrlik or give him the option to retire, he can not keep up with the hockey of today. Those defensive turn overs are killing us. We should get a player like Stephen Weiss.

56. Mike D says:

Easy, friend. The smiley face was there to indicate a jokey, tongue-in-cheek comment.

– Honestly yours

57. Mike D says:

Hey Solo,

You can check nhlnumbers.com or capgeek.com for more info. We don’t have anywhere near 12mil…it’s closer to 3 and that’s because of the LTIR space generated from the Markov and Gorges injuries. Thing is, we can only use that by acquiring players via trades. We can’t just sign players like we can in the summer during free agency.

As I mentioned, we can’t trade DD or Eller for Weiss. Technically we could for this season, but next year I think we’d be over the cap unless we shed salary elsewhere. That aside, I wouldn’t do either of those trades anyway. DD has easily outplayed Eller this year, but I think Eller might be more valuable if he really has and realizes the potential he’s advertised to have. I say this because we are already a small team and wee-D has that nickname for a reason.

Ramos’ value may soar, but he’s having an amazing year in the K and Price is our goalie for the future anyways so I’m not sure Ramo is of as much value to us as a player as he might be to a team in need of a starter (with a low salary). His true value to us might be as a tradeable asset, unless Price falters.

I’m sure we’d all do Gomez for Weiss but we have to assume FLA needs more than just that to make the deal, and it would have to come in the way of young and cheap talent, picks, or prospects.

I’d love to keep Wiz and have Yemelin come over too. If both those things happen however, we would have way too many d-men (assuming we re-sign Marky, Gorges, and Gill). It’s too long to go into without writing another massive post so I’ll leave it at that.

– Honestly yours

58. larisalapointe says:

My reply was to the other guy. :)

59. habstrinifan says:

Poster Bigjames I have replied! It is on page 2 but may have ‘slipt’ lower.

60. Scotty90 says:

PG isn’t going to throw away the baby with the bath water… or at least I hope he doesn’t. I’d love to see Penner come this way but what would Edmonton ask in return? The best thing may be to wait for the off season when the Habs can get more for their money for less.

Cammi is returning and so is Gill, thats going to make a big difference. Hopefully the reports that Wiz will be back soon are true. That said, we can afford to pick up Neil from Ottawa and…yes.. Kovi. I know a lot of you don’t want that but everyone is entitled to their opinion. IMO his return would help the team big time. it is well known that he loves Mtl and his heart never left this city. His motivation would be so strong that the were would be an immediate impact in our point production…. which by the way we need very badly. Neil woould also bring immediate dividends in that oour smaller players can concentrate more on their game and not on who is coming for them. Acquiring these two guys will not bankrupt us and will not hurt our future in any way….

61. kirkiswork says:

Penner and Kovy are two peas in a pod, wouldn’t touch either of them with a ten foot pole. Our team is developing a good chemistry why ruin it with the likes of Kovy ?

62. Mike D says:

IMO, 2mil for Neil is pretty expensive. I agree we could use more grit, but we could also use more scoring and I think that’s a more important need. Neil is good for maybe 20 points a year and that ain’t much. The only way getting Neil would make sense to me is if we traded Moen to get him. Not saying we win the deal, just saying it makes some sense. Moen’s salary is 1.5mil – so close to Neil’s – and he puts up similar numbers. The win for us is we get a more aggressive/engaging tough-guy and only add 500K on the cap. The win for Ottawa is they get a younger cup winner, who will replace some of Neil’s toughness and take his role, and save 500K on their cap.

I think having Neil AND Moen is a waste of 3.5mil, two winger spots, and certainly doesn’t help us in the scoring dept.

- Honestly yours

63. Rugger says:

You are making way too much sense.

64. The Cat says:

Running a team is kinda like a car race ;sooner or later, the driver’s got to make a risky manoever if hes to win.

65. habstrinifan says:

Good post and I agree. If the RIGHT deal comes along you gotta take the chance.

66. habstrinifan says:

Good stuff!

67. The Cat says:

Well shouldnt the habs unload some riff raff for picks then? I know its a business but the plan seems to have a couple of home appearances in the playoffs. It doesnt strike me as a good message to the players.

68. punkster says:

Now is not the time to pass. There will be other races. The car needs further tune ups. Better tires are being developed and readied for shipment. Quality engine parts are expensive. Point being, if it’s like a car race then you better make sure your car can handle the risky maneuver before you try it.

***Subbang!!!***

69. deuce6 says:

Although we need to address size and scoring up front, we still would be the same team if PG made a trade for Brewer, Kaberle, etc…Why make a deal simply to make a deal?

If a deal was to be made, I totally disagree with Basu when he says Gomez would leave a huge hole in the line up..For what Gomez brings to the table, that contract/cap hit is a huge anchor on this team going forward..If we can dump that in any way, shape or form, we do it..He just doesn’t bring enough production to eat that much cap space..and being cool in the lockerrooom means squat..

The only way we do ANY damage in the playoffs this year, will be because of #31..If he gets hot, the sky is the limit, but adding a Brewer or a Kaberle would be just handing assets away..

Sit tight..I believe PG has something brewing to address the size/scoring, but not what you hope it is..

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

70. Mike D says:

I’m pretty sure that’s the concensus, but thanks Captain Obvious :-)

– Honestly yours

71. Mike D says:

Excellent post, Ogre! Love your avatar BTW, makes me LOL everytime I see it!

I think the point Arpon was making is that trading Gomez and not bringing in a legit 1st/2nd line Center leaves a hole. DD is doing great, but he hasn’t been doing it long enough to know for sure he can do it consistently. He also has no playoff experience and up to now has been playing on the 3rd line and not facing the oppositions better lines/D-men. I’m all for getting Gomez’s contract off the books (or getting him to perform in a way that justifies his salary) to help our future, but losing Gomez and not getting a decent replacement hurts us for the rest of THIS season and playoffs.

– Honestly yours

72. smiler2729 says:

Red Fisher does not like anything.

If Pierre Gauthier makes a move, you gotta know that like Bob Gainey, it comes out of absolutely nowhere, no warning, no rumours, no buzz so we can bitch and speculate all we want.  He doesn’t exactly have a strong position to wheel and deal given that he really has no assets available that any other team would want (other than the ‘untouchables’ MaxPac, Subban, Price and their ilk).

There is a suspicion that he is shopping Scott Gomez around as a salary dump but the teams that have the cap space are the ones that are basically bankrupt (Coyotes, Isles) so the Habs are stuck in neutral on the trade front with a very depleted d corps. And man, I wish AK46 could be moved but who the hell would want him???

Buckle up, boys, gonna be a rough ride to the finish line!

73. habstrinifan says:

I wouldnt give up P.K right now period. I tend to think like Bob MacKenzie, that P.K could be one of thos players that comes along and defines a franchise. But and here is the but. I want the right coaching and the right input and approach from the coaching staff to make sure that in a year or so more, we KNOW what we have. I dont want P.K being made to emulate Gill. I dont want P.K to be harangued EVERY time he goes for a BIG HIT in an inopportune moment. I dont want P.K ‘going for a skate’ as Boone so nicely puts it and there is no response from other players on the ice or there is no coaching to show him how to make ‘those sojourns’ into enemy territory more telling.

If all this is done, in a year or two we can make a valid assessment of what we have in P.K. It’s like Grabowski now. Because he is with the Leafs we snicker and put him down but I believe he is showing signs that we DID NOT KNOW WHAT WH HAD in him. Because..

74. habs365 says:

PG- won’t do much if anything and it’ll be another early exit from the playoffs.(anyway)

GOTTA KEEP:  MaxPac…AK46…Pleks…Gio…Cammy…Pouliot…PK…Wiz…Price…Desharnais – spend 60% of the cap on these guys…the rest clean em out…and spend the remainder 40% cap on the best you can bring in….

75. Habnofear says:

Punkster,I bet you’ve been saying the same thing for 19 years lol…Look ,none says trade  Price ,PK ,DD,Pouliot or Patches  but after that anything goes and we all know how the Habs come up short with or without Markov.You can only race after a crash WHEN REPAIRES ARE DONE and the whole point of the race is to WIN!

76. kirkiswork says:

That is all very reasonable except the part about getting Kovy. He plays once every 10 games.

77. Mike D says:

Not sure why you feel bad for the guys in the room. I’m confident they all are smart enough to know that without Marky and Gorges healthy, no deadline deal that doesn’t severely sacrifice our future and/or create cap problems is really gonna help.

I’m totally with you on adding a defensive coach though. Obviously the organization can afford one and it can only help. 100% with you on that!

- Honestly yours

78. kirkiswork says:

So who you gonna trade, Gomez ? That would be good and there are rumors out there but I doubt it. Maybe we could get somebody for Andre. Any othr ideas ?

79. habstrinifan says:

We DO NOT have to give up on top notch propsects for them. You cant keep EVERY kid in your system. That’s why you draft, to build a cupboard so that you can keep some and deal some.

80. habstrinifan says:

I would trade a draft pick, 6th to 3rd and a prospect from the organization for NEIL AND KOVY. Look before today I had set down all my choices but I feel that with all the moves, the pickings are getting slimmer and slimmer and the ask-back higher and higher. I think before today we coulda done better. As I write, I really feel for the guys in the room if PG allows them to go into the playoffs ASIS.

In the very least show some life and bring up a KICK-ASS guy or two. Prepare for the Playoffs. Add some coaching help. A defensive coach and someone who can push our skaters to achieve ‘goals’. It can be done.. talent can’t be taught but mindset and positioning and execution with that talent CAN BE.

If PG stands up tomorrow and says:
    ‘Look we see all the trades. Our team has tried but canot make a trade without giving up too much. But we also look at our season and see the following so we are addressing it from within with coaching and adjustments and call ups…
    We see that PK started the season as an exciting body-checker and then there was a time he stopped throwing checks and he has resumed but needs coaching on it. We see the excitement of fans who remembers Larry’s huge checks and we want that.. so we are getting a defensive coach
    It would help him and Weber and any other young player we use now.

We see the season long stagnation of our offense. We are gonna bring in a Claude Ruel type fire-brand whose gonna push them and push them and demand ‘execution and goals’ tell them where to go where to shoot from etc etc.. not simply ‘go to the net’ cliche.

We see the need for a combo-line which adds grit and shutdown elements. So we are gonna shuffle our personnel..Eller goes down etc etc.. and we gonna coach that.

We cant trade but Damnit we gonna work as an organization to give this team some identity and style and backbone resembling a true Canadiens team. Please bare with us.

If I hear that then I will be HAPPY.

But I hear and see nothing. All I hear are cliches. All I see is JM talking about ‘one mistake’ or GIONTA saying we ‘have to be better’ or fans saying ‘when Cammy comes back he will light it up’ or fans saying ‘Mara is gonna take care of Chara’. Unreal crap. Do something specific and definable to improve. Geez!

81. Rugger says:

Exactly, which is why we were not in on it.

82. Mike D says:

HELLLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZ NO

– Honestly yours

83. gloveside says:

In a heartbeat. Real power forwards with such potential are a genuine rarity. Would you trade PK for Nash when he was 22? Of course you would. This is the type of player we desperately need and haven’t had in years!

84. bigjames says:

slipt? You are kidding right? hahaha. I am about to give up.

85. habstrinifan says:

Ok a little lecture in my defense smarty pants!

I come from old old British school system, where required reading was Canterbury Tales. And while “slipt” may no longer be in use I defend to the death my right to be archaic.

I make no apologies, if while posting in this angst into which which I have ‘slipt’ because of PG’s lethargy, I ‘slipt’,   back to that little boy in khaki sitting on a stool behind an un-egornomic desk , in a position which causes an uncomfortable chafing of my under-thigh, where the hem of my crisply starched khaki has entwined around the curls of hairs on my legs. While this growth of hair has delightfully added to the pubescent giggles of my female classmates as they observe my pubescence, I remember this angst, as the same that I had ‘slipt’ into when its growth also provoked the reaction that I had indeed been kept back a grade or two.

I feel the same disdain emanating from your words as I felt then. I ask you to temporarily defy the apoplexy and dont ‘give up’ until you have googled the word “slipt” and hope that you would grant that its usage doth indeed have some merit, even if only used by dolts such as  William Thackary in his novel Vanity Fair .. and I quote the following excerpt.

“The boy had been instructed to get over the playground wall (at a selected spot where the broken glass had been removed from the top, and niches made convenient in the brick); to run a quarter of a mile; to purchase a pint of rum-shrub on credit; to brave all the Doctor’s outlying spies, and to clamber back into the playground again; during the performance of which feat, his foot had slipt, and the bottle was broken, and the shrub had been spilt, and his pantaloons had been damaged, and he appeared before his employer a perfectly guilty and trembling, though harmless, wretch.”

I am sure you will find sufficient other examples of its use that you may be dissuaded from ‘giving up’… unless of course thou hath slipt into the lethargy of which I accuse one Pierre Gauthier.

86. punkster says:

This sort of vitriolic rhetoric just makes my day. I’m pretty sure you would simply bitch, whine, complain…and go on about your boiling blood…even if the Habs make a move. Why? Because you have a soap box from which to spout your holier-than-thou, negative Nellie, opinionated, poorly thought out theories of how to run a hockey team in 2011 that everybody in your home room is sick of listening to.

***Subbang!!!***

87. Top Corner says:

You dont have any more of a clue as to what this teams future holds any more than me.  We have seen great things from this team , with a full roster. So to say this is boring , does not compute…to say were stuck with this dismaying team…bull.  Your blood boils cause you wallow in the negative’s of this team , AND it was a full moon the other night….it will pass

Iam not a fairweather fan , so i can guarantee you my blood is not boiling.  I have patience , and i know that all this team needs is some grit up front , and some moves on D this summer will make it even stronger.

WHO SAID this is the only players you will see on the roster for the next 4 years???  Change happens , and there will be some big ones over the summer.  Now , now is not the time , its like Christmas shopping right now…..wayyy to much.  We need long term , not a ‘hope in hell’ rental , that we gave up picks for , only to have ‘em for a few months!

What moves , and to what would u give up , with 10 days left before the deadline , that will make you wear your habs hat in public again ????  Keep in mind the other side has to be in agreement too , it is called a trade .

88. habstrinifan says:

If we acquire Kovy and Neil for ,and I am gonna go the highest give back.. for a 2nd round pick and say a 5th round pick… you think that that would make this team an embarassment. And I cited the ‘highest give-back’.
    Or going into Boston next week or when it is and getting our ass kicked again, on and off the ice… would that be an embarassment. You tell me!

89. SeriousFan09 says:

You want to see this team became an embarassment? That would involve selling off the farm for unattainable Cup runs over the next couple years.

With Markov + Gorges out, we don’t have the horses on defence to really challenge and we know the scoring isn’t there and MTL can’t afford to rent for both of those needs and not have a crippled farm. Caution is the key, build up the farm and be patient.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

90. habstrinifan says:

WOW! You must be some sort of  profiler. Your description is spot on… except you forgot the my sense of infallibility.

91. SeriousFan09 says:

Montreal’s given up a lot of 2nd-round picks lately and your best chance to convert a prospect into a Top-4 D or a Top-6 Forward is by drafting in first two rounds, I don’t want the Canadiens to keep missing in the round where they get their best defencemen since Andrei Markov was drafted in ’98.

Right now, rather not pick up a dime-a-dozen agitator on the wrong side of his career and another enigma for possible futures.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

92. Rugger says:

Would you have done PK for Stewart?

93. Mike D says:

I too was very surprised that the Avs traded Stewart. I wonder what it would have cost us to get him here?

– Honestly yours

94. The Cat says:

The habs are just blessed with unexciting sedate GMs.

95. gloveside says:

Blues acquire Chris Stewart – maybe the best up and coming power forward in the league…who knew he was available? Ballsy trade by St. Louis giving up Johnson, etc. to try and remake their team! C’mon PG let’s get in on some of that!

96. Mike D says:

A couple things I don’t want to see for the rest of this year:

– An injury to another defenseman.

– Moen playing on the top 6 (seriously JM, enough’s enough)!

A couple things that surprised me yesterday:

– Mtl. South got Brewer for a half-ass prospect and a 3rd.

– The St.L/COL trade with Johnson and McClement for Stewart and Shattenkirk. Amazing how I thought the Blues got nothing for Brewer given the market for D-men, then turn around and bend the Avs over for Stewart and Shat. I realize Johnson was a 1st overall pick, but McClement was a throw-in. Stewart’s a pretty awesome power forward and unless Shat pulls a Daigle and falls off the map in the next year or two, Blues win this hands-down (even if Johnson gets it together and reaches his potential).

– Honestly yours

97. The Cat says:

Though I think hes ultra bad defensively. I would get MAB for a 7th rounder, habs are so dependant on the PP, itd be silly not to.

98. jimmy shaker says:

Here comes PG’s moves for the day……….

- MAB from tampa for a 7th rounder.

- kovy from ottawa for  4th rounder.

- Neil from ottawa for pyatt and a 3rd rounder.

shaker

99. SeriousFan09 says:

Wouldn’t trade to get MAB for a spark plug for the Zambonis.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

100. kirkiswork says:

My god,

MAB and Kovy, talk about going in reverse, much better to do nothing.

101. habstrinifan says:

Interesting observation made on team990 about the Alumni game. Ran down the list of players. If you are anywhere near my age, you would have been shocked at the  thought that a Canadiens alumni team will go into a game seemingly with the ‘lesser talent’. It shows how this franchise has slipt in creating ‘greatness’ in the last decade or so.

102. GoalieGrey says:

Looking forward to the Alumni game (4:30 MST) with all the “old” Habs, or at least ones I can remember playing at least part of their careers!

103. habstrinifan says:

It would be a ‘perfect’ move in the circumstances. And it would give the boys in the room true confidence that at least their GM is trying to help them NOW while not destroying the future. I dont want MAB. But the other two because I think it is too late now to get better and not give up too much… and by Monday it may be too late to even get these as A PAIR… which is what we need.

104. jimmy shaker says:

We’ll just agree to disagree like always, so we don’t get into a long back and fourth thread, but without giving up too much, these would be ideal moves for PG and co. Maybe not MAB so much, but kovy and neil I would do for sure.

Shaker

105. Propwash says:

C’mon PG, make a trade for the sake of making a trade so therefore I can complain about it later. DO IT PG!

106. habstrinifan says:

No habs hockey tonight. Thank God! Maybe PG will get to work!

107. habstrinifan says:

This sort of pollyana crap makes my blood boil. Because I am afraid that if PG and Molson and JM really see things  as you have described, then I am in for many many more years of a clawing, inconsistent, low-producing, boring, dismaying team to watch. And will sit like Mario Tremblay in front my TV, while this legendary team not only deteriorates but get their ass kicked in the process.

108. Top Corner says:

If any of us have learned ANYthing , and there is going to be a trade involving the HABS….no one will have guessed it :)  C’monnnn , we know better……and dont forget , PG made moves over the holidays , so just cause it’s not in the spirit of trade deadline week….dont say he’s doing NOTHING , he beat all GM’s to the punch on THE WIZ , steal of the season , no?!?!

PG does NOT conduct his business in public like binnoculars burke will have everyone watch….swear to gawwwd that old man just wants his own reality show….pathetic!

I dont want to know who PG’s  gunnin’ for…..cause i would be more pissed if i knew who we “could” have had , like a lot of peeps are over not getting Kaberle/Brewer……crap!  U kidding me ???  PG and BG have made great moves , and its proven to work cause….despite the injuries were where in the standings ????

If we could trade injured players for healthy ones…..who would do it ???  Not gonna happen , Go out and sign a huge rental and are you 100 % they will be injury free themselves untill the end of the playoffs ???

In the meantime,  have patience , and ‘will’ bos/philly to lose 1st round , and key players in between, that is all !

109. duffy says:

And PG sits asleep while many other gm,s around the league are making there teams stronger ,no different than in the past.

110. Bob_Sacamano says:

1. He already acquired Wisniewski weeks ago and he traded for Mara.

2. He has still more than a week to make another move.

3. With Markov and Gorges gone for the season and a second line center who is the worst shooter among all teams top six forwards, the Habs are no contender.

111. kirkiswork says:

Yeah, it would be great to give up a few of our up and coming promising young kids for a big bandaid.

112. SeriousFan09 says:

I guess both teams wanted to shake it up for the STL-COL blockbuster, but at the same time it seems a bit odd to me. almost like swapping for needs, but at the same time you’re shorting yourself in another area.

We have Erik Johnson, 22-year old 1st overall pick in 2006, Olympian, he’s had some knee problems but he’s still extremely young and is the only defencemen to go 1st overall in the draft since Chris Phillips in 1996. Potential #1, or a really, really great #2 defencemen, he and Pietrangelo could have been a hell of a thing for St Louis over the next 15 years, and they also just let Eric Brewer go. Shattenkirk coming back is certainly going to help a bit on D but he’s not a real two-way defencemen and with both Brewer + Johnson gone they’re hurting for defensive Ds.

Than you have Chris Stewart, who’s about as rare as you can get for an NHL asset these days, a true power forward the same age as Johnson. Very promising, 28G last season and he was on fire until he broke his hand this year. Kevin Shattenkirk is their blue-chip offensive defencemen prospect. Johnson coming there softens the blow of course but I don’t think they exactly have another Stewart in their system.

Both teams see a huge potential future part of their franchise go, that they’re going to have find a way to replace down the line, granted now they’ve boosted themselves in another area but it seems this was just subtraction from one area to add to another. It would be like MTL trading PK Subban to get that Big Centre who can score 30+ goals and get 90 points. Yes now we’ve got our centre but our future D just went to hell. That ain’t ever happening, just citing an example.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.