No Habs hockey on Saturday?

What to do with the free time?

If you’re Pierre Gauthier: Worry, because the Bruins and Lightning got better on a Freaky Friday that saw blockbuster trades all over the NHL.

Maybe the Canadiens GM is holding off so the TSN guys have something to talk about on the 28th.

Cammalleri returns tomorrow

Fickle weather? No problem

Red Fisher does not love outdoor hockey

• Red on the Kaberle trade, Michael Grabner and Red’s Notebook

The National Parity League

How the Flames righted the ship

A late-breaking Blues blockbuster

Arpon Basu sizes up the trading frenzy

What’s left for the deadline?

1. matrags says:

As I have been saying Chris, Gautier dropped the ball on Halik as a trade asset. After our finish last yr it was reasonable to conclude that we would go after an asset to fill the void at center and to get some upfront physical presence. . Markovs return then, answered the d question , a prospect packaged with Halik then ,might have gotten us the center. With a top four finish in the playoffs it seemed logical to continue the rebuild started by Gainey by filling in the missing pieces and going for it .

2. Bugs says:

Yeah, eh? Boston and Philly, boy, oh boy, wow.

Feh, who cares?

3. Chris says:

Dial it back to reasonable: P.K. Subban and a 1st round pick for Malkin (if the Penguins decide they want to liberate $8 million from their salary cap). I know that I’d do that trade. :)

4. Chris says:

Just read Basu’s article.  Let’s just say I disagree.

Projecting anything 2-3 years from now in today’s NHL is pointless, because we have no idea who will still be on the team, something that Habs fans should be the most familiar with.  Only 5 players remain from the 2007-08 Montreal Canadiens team that finished 1st in the Prince of Wales Conference (take that, Bettman):  Kostitsyn, Plekanec, Price, Gorges and Hamrlik.  That despite the 2007-08 Montreal Canadiens featuring 12 players 25 or under (of the players that played 20+ games)…THIS year was supposed to be our time.  Yet we had to blow it all up between then and now.

If people think that a team led by Gionta, Gomez, Plekanec and Cammalleri can one day contend for a Stanley Cup, that day needs to come over the next 3 years that we have them signed.  With Pacioretty, Eller, Desharnais, Subban and Weber already playing regular minutes, we don’t have many more players in the system who can help the Montreal Canadiens make the jump to contender over the next 2-3 years.  Palushaj, White, Maxwell and Carle appear to be role players.  If we’re an impact player or two away from contention, that impact player is going to have to come via free agency or trade.  You overpay financially when you try to bring in players to Montreal via free agency, and you often overpay in prospects/draft picks when you try to do it via trade.

I’m actually okay with where we are, as I’ve always been convinced that you need a lot of luck and a superstar or two to win the Stanley Cup.  The Montreal Canadiens seem to have been cursed with bad luck most years since moving out of the Forum, and we have no superstars.  It just gets my back up a little when I constantly hear “in 2-3 years we’ll be ready for OUR run”, as this ignores the realities of the NHL.

Any junior hockey fan knows the build-win-rebuild cycle well…everybody tries to build for a run every 3-4 years.  3-5 teams per year in each league (more this year in a very weird OHL) actually look well poised, and therefore the trades happen:  the contending teams load up even more, while everybody else takes picks and young players and re-starts the clock.

If you’re not planning on winning now, you should be getting the assets to win in the future.  Montreal is not doing either:  we won’t trade our veterans that aren’t likely to be around when we plan to contend, nor will we trade our youth to make a run with the veterans we have.  At some point we have to pick our poison.  Continuing to delay that choice will continue to leave us right where we’ve been for the past decade:  somewhere in the middle of the pack (10th-20th overall), never a legitimate contender for a Stanley Cup run.

5. larisalapointe says:

I wouldn’t sell my firstborn for a million dollars, but for a billion?  Hell yes!

6. BJ says:

Price, Plekanec, Pacioretty, Subban????? For who?

7. Mike Boone says:

Not Price. He is the cornerstone, and there’s nothing behind him unless Karri Ramo is going to be an elite NHL goaltender. Without Price, they’d have to re-tool the team.

8. The Cat says:

Exactly. Never say never.

9. punkster says:

Riff raff for picks is not a bad idea though that isn’t exactly the risky maneuver you mention above, is it? I don’t expect any great earth shattering moves by the Habs before the deadline and I certainly hope there are no high priced rentals.

***Subbang!!!***

10. joeybarrie says:

We wont make the playoff’s with those centers. JM would have to play Pleks into the ground, and risk injury to him.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

11. gloveside says:

As I said further down, I would have given up PK In a heartbeat. Is PK someone you can build a team around or just a decent young defenceman with personality. Don’t get me wrong, I like PK and am glad he is a Hab, but you can’t build a team around personality. Real power forwards with such potential are a genuine rarity.

12. solomio says:

Here here I second that emotion

13. Chris says:

All hypotheticals, but you never know when a guy wants out.  So let’s pretend…

Drew Doughty for P.K. Subban.  Do you do that one?

Ryan Getzlaf for P.K. Subban.  How about that one?

Evgeni Malkin and Simon Depres for P.K. Subban, Tomas Plekanec and a first round draft pick.

I’m not saying we absolutely do those trades.  But you sure would think long and hard about them.

14. solomio says:

Unequivically NO. Price will very soon be the BEST goaltender in the league.

15. joeybarrie says:

I wouldn’t trade Price for anything short of the 5 best players in the league. Your right. I truly believe he is our best player, and he is so young for a goalie. Say what you will about anyone who makes decisions in the NHL. Former hero’s like Gainey, Roy, Dryden, etc know a few things we don’t. And while it’s true that you never know, if they say to keep a player, to me you keep the player.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

16. Chris says:

That might be true, although I think some of his woes this year are obviously related to his knee woes.

But man…even his B or C level is better than the A level of anybody we have on our roster.  Malkin has definitely slowed his production in the past two years, but that can be at least partially explained by a variety of injuries (shoulder, knees, broken foot).

He has proven that he can bring it in the playoffs and in the regular season.  I would be a bit shocked if Malkin came down to the Kovalev or Gomez level simply because he is already a far better player than either of those guys ever were.  He’s still only 24 years old (turns 25 this summer) and is just hitting his prime.  Every trade is a roll of the dice, but there are few guys I’d feel safer rolling the dice on than Malkin.

17. SeriousFan09 says:

Burying Gomez in Hamilton a year and 3/4 into his contract would kill MTL as a destination for free agents and guys willing to waive NTC to come here. I know a lot of people want Gomez out but the Hamilton thing is a bad joke. They are not in the position to treat veteran players like that and expect no consequences.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

18. solomio says:

You’d sell one of your children ? You oughta be locked away and castrated

19. matrags says:

well said Chris I want out of Limbo.

20. solomio says:

The Habs have been and will be again both. Be patient, again

21. Clay4bc says:

Wow, talk about the “Cult of Price”!

Look, Price is turning into a good goalie – or at least is having a good season. But let’s face it – he is 11th in GAA, and 14th in Save %. He is not untradeable if the right player(s) are offered in return.

__________________________

The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions. ~Susan Sontag

22. Bill H says:

Sure, Price could swing a series.  And I’d hate to lose him.  But if Edmonton would love to find a young goaltender so much, maybe they would send Taylor Hall the other way, since they have so many young talented forwards in their system.

23. solomio says:

Stop yr fkg nonsense

24. larisalapointe says:

I hope you’re joking or you missed the point. I would rather die than be separated from my child.

And I believe women can’t be castrated.

25. Bugs says:

1st deal: Soobie doesn’t want out. I incorporate that piece of info into my overall assesment of him as an untouchable. So to consider that scenario, I’m assuming Doughty wants out or they want HIM out, or else he would be an untouchable for them. Why would I trade one of my num 1 boys who isn’t giving me any problems I can’t handle for a num 1 player who’s giving the other team problems they CAN’T handle? I wouldn’t.

2nd deal: it would be no. Without Soobie, there’s no more imagination on defence to start any creative breakouts and no amount of Getzlafs could overcome that. I couldn’t do that deal; it would hurt my team.

3rd deal: no. I haven’t seen enough of Despres to take the chance of handing him Soobie’s spot, and if I can’t hand him Soobie’s spot, I got the same problem as in num2.

26. punkster says:

These are actually no more nonsensical than many propsed trades on HI/O. And it’s all in good fun. And the Leaf site is waaaaay that way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

***Subbang!!!***

27. punkster says:

Benee Wafers?

***Subbang!!!***

28. joeybarrie says:

Ill ask the other way around. Is Stewart someone you can build a team around?

The players who are. Ovie, Crosby, Stamkos, all had ALOT more points than Stewart at the same point in their career….

PK has more than just personality. It’s his ROOKIE season and he has 5 less points than Stewart, AS A DEFENDER. Stewart has slightly more than AK numbers in his first 3 seasons.

PK is playing between 22 minutes and 30 minutes a game. He has in his first 100 games in the NHL gone to the Conf Finals and helped keep us in 6th place despite ALL our D going down to injury.

Wouldn’t trade him for ANYONE who is tradable.

We are building our team around one of the best 2 way centers in the league (if not the best). One of the best goalies in the league at a YOUNG age, Hopefully one of the best defenseman in the league, and some pretty good prospects.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

29. punkster says:

And my tongue-in-cheek suggestions are nonsense? 😉

***Subbang!!!***

30. Clay4bc says:

a lot. not ALOT, but a lot…just sayin’

__________________________

31. gumper says:

Can anyone explain to me why our cap hit for Gomez remains high even though his salary declines?

32. Rugger says:

Cap hit is based upon the average for the entire contract.

33. Clay4bc says:

Cap hit is the average of his salary over the whole course of the contract. If I make 2 million this year, and 12 million the next on a 2 year deal, my cap hit is 7 million per year.

__________________________

34. habstrinifan says:

Unless it is Gomez I dont want Weiss. Another small guy.. come on!

35. Chris says:

Now list the goalies that got their teams to the finals, Robert. It is a very, very long list.

Most of the guys you won were surrounded by amazingly strong supporting casts. Let’s go year-by-year and look at Stanley Cup winning goalies and the goals scored per game by their team:

• 2009-10: Niemi – 3rd (regular season), 3rd (playoffs)
    • 2008-09: Fleury – 6th (RS), 2nd (PO)
    • 2007-08: Osgood – 3rd (RS), 1st (PO)
    • 2006-07: Giguere – 9th (RS), 4th (PO)
    • 2005-06: Ward – 3rd (RS), 5th (PO)
    • 2003-04: Khabibulin – 3rd (RS), 2nd (PO)
    • 2002-03: Brodeur – 14th (RS), 3rd (PO)
    • 2001-02: Hasek – 2nd (RS), 1st (PO)
    • 2000-01: Roy – 4th (RS), 1st (PO)
    • 1999-00: Brodeur – 2nd (RS), 3rd (PO)
    • 1998-99: Belfour – 8th (RS), 5th (PO)
    • 1997-98: Osgood – 2nd (RS), 1st (PO)

(That is where the NHL website stats stop, and I’m too lazy to go to hockeyreference.com)

We see that in the last 12 Stanley Cup victories, 10 different goalies won. How many guys in the NHL are elite over a decade? I’ll grant Roy, Belfour and Brodeur were elite when they won their Cups. But Hasek was on the decline when he won his, and the other guys were all people who were either good goalies in the right place at the right time or guys who got hot for a year or two.

Only two of those goalies were playing for teams that one can definitively say leaned HEAVILY on their goalies: the 2002-03 Devils and the 1998-99 Stars. All the rest had offences that were amongst the most feared in the NHL.

An elite offence is harder to build than an elite defence. And the elite offence will usually win out, especially if combined with any level of defensive responsibility.

36. habstrinifan says:

Good post. Poster below said we want out of limbo. It seems like Purgatory more and more to me. Maybe it’s paybak for drafting Wickenheiser or trading LeClaire or not doing more with the team of Richer/Lemieux/Momesso etc etc. What an influx of rookies that yera eh. I know we won the cup with them.. against Rangers wasnt it.. but we should kept them all and done more. We seem to have another inflix of good rookies now. Lets do the right thing. Add the right elements.

37. habstrinifan says:

I’ll still watch cause a)Ihave no ifeeaf when it comes to this stuff and b) who knows PG may do something and c) if he doesnt I am sure Pierre McGuire would be bashing PG and I kinda wanna be there for that.

38. Mike D says:

Hey Solo,

You can check nhlnumbers.com or capgeek.com for more info. We don’t have anywhere near 12mil…it’s closer to 3 and that’s because of the LTIR space generated from the Markov and Gorges injuries. Thing is, we can only use that by acquiring players via trades. We can’t just sign players like we can in the summer during free agency.

As I mentioned, we can’t trade DD or Eller for Weiss. Technically we could for this season, but next year I think we’d be over the cap unless we shed salary elsewhere. That aside, I wouldn’t do either of those trades anyway. DD has easily outplayed Eller this year, but I think Eller might be more valuable if he really has and realizes the potential he’s advertised to have. I say this because we are already a small team and wee-D has that nickname for a reason.

Ramos’ value may soar, but he’s having an amazing year in the K and Price is our goalie for the future anyways so I’m not sure Ramo is of as much value to us as a player as he might be to a team in need of a starter (with a low salary). His true value to us might be as a tradeable asset, unless Price falters.

I’m sure we’d all do Gomez for Weiss but we have to assume FLA needs more than just that to make the deal, and it would have to come in the way of young and cheap talent, picks, or prospects.

I’d love to keep Wiz and have Yemelin come over too. If both those things happen however, we would have way too many d-men (assuming we re-sign Marky, Gorges, and Gill). It’s too long to go into without writing another massive post so I’ll leave it at that.

– Honestly yours

39. habstrinifan says:

Good post and I agree. If the RIGHT deal comes along you gotta take the chance.

40. habstrinifan says:

Good stuff!

41. Mike D says:

I’m pretty sure that’s the concensus, but thanks Captain Obvious :-)

– Honestly yours

42. habstrinifan says:

I wouldnt give up P.K right now period. I tend to think like Bob MacKenzie, that P.K could be one of thos players that comes along and defines a franchise. But and here is the but. I want the right coaching and the right input and approach from the coaching staff to make sure that in a year or so more, we KNOW what we have. I dont want P.K being made to emulate Gill. I dont want P.K to be harangued EVERY time he goes for a BIG HIT in an inopportune moment. I dont want P.K ‘going for a skate’ as Boone so nicely puts it and there is no response from other players on the ice or there is no coaching to show him how to make ‘those sojourns’ into enemy territory more telling.

If all this is done, in a year or two we can make a valid assessment of what we have in P.K. It’s like Grabowski now. Because he is with the Leafs we snicker and put him down but I believe he is showing signs that we DID NOT KNOW WHAT WH HAD in him. Because..

43. ZepFan2 says:

WOW…the insanity here is overflowing.

———————————————————————— “Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.” ~Serge Savard~

44. sergio30 says:

never been a big fan of reds.. and have no problem when he writes about the canadiens. But when he starts writing about other teams(Grabner story) and other players then he should get the facts right.. or atleast the names correct.

Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall…. One tyler, One taylor… not a couple of tylers…

45. habstrinifan says:

I would be very very careful next time you open your locker!

46. habstrinifan says:

“Teams unloading unwanted solid veterans for cap space and low picks/prospects should be the area PG explores to help provide us with some depth for the here and now.”

This is EXACTLY what needs to happen or least what PG should be trying his darndest to make happen.

47. gumper says:

Thanks guys. Have you calculated what that cap hit is?

48. habstrinifan says:

Selling an offspring to improve the ‘community wealth’ or assure the longevity of a ruler or plain and simple ensure the survival of a village is a long practised exchange system. Even the Almighty himself invoked this principle in the sacrifice he asked of Abraham.

Whom would you have castrated Abraham or the Almighty HIMSELF?

49. Bill H says:

There have been a couple of references to Yemelin.  I really hope he comes over.  But he is a prospect.  He’s never played in the NHL.  And he seems reluctant to try out because he knows that it means time in Hamilton to adjust.  So first of all, its extremely far fetched to think of Yemelin as a solution to our present injury problems.  At best, I see him playing in Hamilton for half a season and then getting called up.