No day of rest on Sunday for Habs

Sunday has normally been a day of rest for the Canadiens this season, but following Saturday’s 5-1 loss to the Washington Capitals at the Bell Centre coach Michel Therrien had the Habs players on the ice at 11 a.m. Sunday in Brossard for a practice.

The forward lines at practice were: Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta; Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher; Ryder-Eller-Galchenyuk; Moen-Halpern-Blunden; Prust-Dumont-Armstrong; White.

Defence pairings were: Markov-Subban; Gorges-Diaz; Bouillon-Weber; Kaberle-Drewiske.

“Today was about us getting better. It wasn’t a punishment or anything like that,” P.K. Subban told reporters in Brossard following practice. “It was about us getting back to doing the things that have made us successful. Sometimes you need to refresh your memory. The exciting thing about today is it’s another chance to get better and get ready for the next game. There’s a lot to play for right now and I think it’s about bringing our focus back to the forefront of exactly what we need to get focused on to be ready for the playoffs.”

Following Saturday’s game, defenceman Josh Gorges told reporters that the team was “soft”, having given up 25 goals while losing four of the last five games.

“I’ve been through enough (to know) you can’t just show up in Game 1 of the playoffs and think ‘now I’m going to start playing, now our team’s going to click.’ That doesn’t work,” Gorges said. “We have to make sure we’re prepared this week and have the effort. If we get scored on, so what? We have to bounce back and have that championship mentality.”

The 25 goals against in the last five games have come on 149 shots for an .832 team save percentage. In Carey Price’s last five appearances dating back to April 13 in Toronto – when he was pulled for the first of what would be two straight starts – he has a save percentage of .830 (19 goals on 112 shots). Price, who has a 20-12-4 record, has seen his goals-against average go up to 2.59, ranking 29th in the NHL, and his save percentage drop to .905, ranking 33rd. Price is 4-8 in his last 12 starts dating back to March 23.

Saturday was the final regular-season home game for the Canadiens, who wrap up the schedule with a three-game road trip this week with stops in New Jersey on Tuesday, Winnipeg on Thursday and Toronto on Saturday.

“We’ve got to focus on our defensive game,” Therrien said. “We have a week to go, three games, and I’m convinced we’ll be ready for the playoffs.”

The Boston Bruins ended a four-game winless streak with a 3-0 win over the Florida Panthers Sunday afternoon, moving them into a tie with the Canadiens for first place in the Northeast Division with 59 points. The Bruins have four games remaining in the regular season, one more than Montreal.

The Canadiens will practice at 11 a.m. Monday at the Bell Centre downtown before heading to New Jersey.

(Photo by Pierre Obendrauf/The Gazette)

Canadiens get no rest day after lopsided loss, by Pat Hickey

Canadiens drop to fourth place in conference, by Pat Hickey

Disappointment on Fan Appreciation Night, by Dave Stubbs

Gorges comes to defence of Price, by Dave Stubbs

Time to give Markov a rest before playoffs, by Jack Todd

Basic training, canadiens.com

Bruins snap slide, take Northeast Division lead, nhl.com

Bulldogs announce individual award winners, hamiltonbulldogs.com

1. Hammer says:

Besides the Habs peaking too early and obvious soft goals I observed the following; defense too soft ( exposed with the loss of Emelin), forwards too small and easily pushed around, poor Prust has been beaten up trying to defend an entire team. If Price stands on his head and gets back to form and they grow some stones, then maybe they can do some damage in the playoffs. When was the last time the team outhit its opposition?

We have 6 points at stake, to find out where we fit in our conference for the play offs. How well each player performs the rest of the way, including the play off games, will tell Bergevin and Therrien who will be the players that will be kept for the future.

There will be moves, trades, and additions for next season for sure. But until then, I am going to enjoy every minuet left in the very fun year!!

If there are weekend play off games, I’m heading to Montreal to take them in.

3. Lafleurguy says:

Jeff Blair with guest Glen Healey were gloating over the prospect of Leafs facing the Habs in the first round, although Healey pointed out that Price had a five-game losing streak in 2011, and then turned it around.

Reimer has been much better than Price, these past two weeks, and if folks feel the breakdown lies elsewhere, the the one defence has been much better than the other in the same time period.

“May you live in interesting times.”

4. ed says:

On the subject of Gorges’ leadership, it would be a contradiction for Gorges to single himself out first, and then the team second, because that is not at all the way Gorges sees the team concept.

there is no Gorges – separate from the team – results judged separately.

there are NO INDIVIDUALS on this team in Gorges’ view., it is a team, together, and only as a unit,

and the unit, the team, can not be separated into individual performance.

that’s the point.

it is excellent leadership in my opinion.

• Loonie says:

If that’s the case Ed then why would Gorges say that 20 guys aren’t committed?

Does that mean he isn’t committed since his presence is only in the sense of the whole team?

You’re glorifying him in my opinion.

• ed says:

nope. not glorifying him.

just telling people how Gorges feels about the “team concept”.

the team = 20 = win or lose.

• Loonie says:

If his self evaluation is limited exclusively to team results then he can’t objectively or accurately evaluate his own play or make corrections to the harm he’s doing to the team when he isn’t successful.

If his focus is so narrow that it magnifies only the team as a unit, he’ll never be good enough as a player.

To be a good contributor, at some point his play enters the equation. Not just for us, the media, the coaches, but him too Ed.

• ed says:

he understands his play; he understands his mistakes better than I do, better than you do, and certainly better than the media does.

he is his own harshest critic.

• Loonie says:

Based on what Ed?

Agree Ed, Gorges has always been about “the team”. This has nothing to do with whether I like him or dislike him as a player, but he has always referred to the accomplishments and dissappointments as a team.

I think him saying what he did, is in his own way, him calling himself out per se.

I look for a much different team on the ice tomorrow night.

• Maritime Ron says:

I bet when all is said and done, it will be shown that Gorges played hurt at least 1/2 the season and because he is a warrior, refused to sit out.

• Habfan17 says:

If he was a true leader, he would single himself out. That does not mean he is not a team guy. It shows that he holds himself partly responsible and that he knows he needs to play better. Speaking from experience, when people speak out about how the team needs to play better when they have been one of the ones guilty of not playing well, there will be team mates who will resent him. You can’t call out, ask and motivate others to play better without acknowledging that you too have not been playing your best and need to pick it up.

Habfan17

5. habstrinifan says:

Man Life is good!
    It finally looks like Spring!
    Habs are in the playoffs!
    There’s no longer any delusions .. and no expectations and thus NO FEAR!

Bring on ANYONE.. especially the LEAFS!!!

Now it’s just load up and come out shooting.

GO HABS GO!

This is why I came to Canada! After all I coulda gone to NZ.

6. slapshot777 says:

That’s the problem with people on this site they think that they are playing NHL13 or something and that the game spits out these well thought trades.

People need to relax, have faith and trust what MT and MB are doing. These guys grew up in Montreal or surrounding area and you got to believe that they want to bring back a Habs team that will be a team that we can be proud of.

The core players are in place and in the off season we will see some tweaking and improvements. The team has improved immensely from last year so for that alone we should be thankful.

This isn’t an overnight plan it takes a little while. We saw this with this past trade deadline MB stuck to his guns and didn’t overpay and now look at the picks we have coming up. Who knows maybe Edmonton may be a team who is desperate to make the playoffs and be willing to move someone for a lot less than on trade deadline day. Who knows.

All I am saying is stop the trolling sh! t it doesn’t do any good and all your doing is making yourself look like an idiot in the same process. Either your a fan of tha Habs like myself or a troll, there is no grey area.

THANKS!!
    for the help Clay, Matty, and Cal.

8. Luke says:

Is Burly back?

Can we resume the winning the now?

9. habstrinifan says:

I dont pretend any sway over the site, but wish the talk of trades, buy-outs etc would die for NOW. The hands have been dealt. And we are at the table. Time to anti-up.

Time to close the main doors and not let anyone out.. friend or foe… alive that is.

10. slapshot777 says:

I know that Emelin has torn knee ligaments, but I was looking at the Habs roster along with injury list on the CBC website and it’s listing Emelin as day to day. I know that you don’t just get up one day and come back from torn knee ligaments but everything else on that same site seems to be up to date with all other injuries and transactions except for Emelins. I never heard did he require surgery to repair the knee injury? Just curious that’s all. Maybe he might make a recovery, Karlsson did for Ottawa and hehad his Achilles cut so anything is possible.

HELP!
    Could someone out there please tell me what the word autocracy means, please.!

• Clay says:

au·toc·ra·cy
      [aw-tok-ruh-see]
      noun, plural au·toc·ra·cies.
      government in which one person has uncontrolled or unlimited authority over others; the government or power of an absolute monarch.
      a nation, state, or community ruled by an autocrat.
      unlimited authority, power, or influence of one person in any group.

__________________________
      ☞ Think about little things that are happening. In your mind, just visualize little things, and it’ll help you create the mood that you’re looking for. There we go …” ☜ ~ Bob Ross

• Cal says:

Here ya go:
      au·toc·ra·cy
      /ôˈtäkrəsē/
      Noun

A system of government by one person with absolute power.
      A regime based on such a principle of government.

• Mattyleg says:

It’s a system (of government, for example) where one person has complete control over everything, and isn’t controlled by anyone else or any other body.

Old-style monarchies were autocracies, and dictatorships can be autocracies too.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Clay says:

So can ‘democracies’. See Canada, the Harper regime, for a clear example.

__________________________

• Loonie says:

Their proactive smear campaign against Justin Trudeau should shame anyone who voted for that party and every member of it.

I was ashamed to be Canadian when I saw their attack on television last night.

• Clay says:

Hey – Tom and I agree! Break out the champagne!

__________________________

• Mattyleg says:

I’m not Canadian.
            I’m a Montrealer.

I don’t understand Canadians. They voted Don Cherry as a ‘Great Canadian’, they call everyone who lives in Quebec a Separatist, they think it’s not important to have a list of people who own assault rifles, and they watch the CBC.

Comprends pas, moé.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Clay says:

I am only guilty of watching CBC for hockey, and none of the other things you mentioned Matty. I also want a gun registry, and I know for a fact all people from Quebec are not separatists. But if you’re not Canadian, I suggest you find a new place to live – because Montreal is in Canada, last I looked. And it’s going to stay there.
            Interesting – and extremely racist – how you just lump us all together though. Kind of like you accuse us of doing to you, no?
            __________________________

• Mattyleg says:

Don’t be so offended, Clay. Why do you think I was talking about you?
            Read between the lines.
            Subtext, irony, etc.

And who is going to make sure Montreal stays in Canada?
            You?
            Chillax, Clay, it’s only Monday morning.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Clay says:

Why do I think you were talking about me? Well, you said “Canadians”. I am a Canadian. Thus, you were making a blanket statement that includes me.
            And who will make sure it stays in Canada? The majority of Quebec citizens who are not separatists.
            And I do not “chillax” – I am much too old to relate to that childish term.

__________________________

• Mattyleg says:

Harper still has to pass decisions through Parliament.
          And he has a Governor-General who can veto anything he does.

And his actions are tempered by public opinon.

Hate Harper, but calling him an autocrat gives him far, far too much credit.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Clay says:

The Governor General will do no such thing – she will merely allow him to prorogue parliament at his whim. And parliament is nothing but a rubber stamp for Herr Harper. MP’s are muzzled (along with scientists), and all must unquestioningly follow the party line. Sounds a lot like autocracy to me.

__________________________

• Mattyleg says:

You clearly don’t understand the word, then.
            And the GG can. Whether HE will or not (it’s not Michaelle Jean anymore, you know) is another question.
            Neither Liberals, NDP, or Independents have to follow the party line, and Conservative MPs regularly vote against their ‘party line’.

Do some research, Clay.
            Informed opposition will trump information gleaned from Facebook memes every time.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Clay says:

Well, I think I’ve done enough research and reading to know better Matty, but you just keep telling yourself I don’t if it makes you feel better. I assure you I am quite well informed when it comes to politics, buoth Canadian and globally.
            As to your point – Yes, the GG CAN veto, but, as I say, will not do so, which is the issue here. I must have missed the appointment of the new GG though, what with being overseas and all. But as for the rest, all I said was truth.

__________________________

• Cal says:

Let’s not mistake a-holes for autocracks, er crats.

• habstrinifan says:

Geez I was so wrong! I thought was what I first did when I was 12 after watching Mrs Thomas take clothes off the line in bright sunshine without a petticoat.
        Geez.. I feel an auto moment coming on just thinking about her… be right back.

12. Loonie says:

I just saw the following from Dave Stubbs’ column regarding Gorges and Price.

“I can’t sit here and say that every guy isn’t committed, there’s lots of guys that are,” Gorges said. “But when 20 guys aren’t, if we have one guy or two guys who aren’t, you know, it doesn’t work. If there’s one breakdown because you don’t win a battle and we lose coverage, that’s the difference in a game.

So my question is. Has Michel Therrien instructed Mario Tremblay to not review anything related to Josh Gorges’ play? There’s plenty of players on this team not doing their part right now but Gorges in my opinion by a country mile has been the biggest problem. Take Saturday night for example. On Ovechkin’s first goal he appears to be daydreaming and doesn’t react in the least to the turnover Ovechkin creates, he stands flatfooted in front of his net, doesn’t effectively work to block a shot or take a lane away, just stands there. Later in the game he vacates the front of the net and heads to support Subban on the boards. Subban kicks the puck up to Gorges, Gorges misses it, doesn’t tie up his man who promptly sends a pass uncontested into the slot for Troy Brouwer, another goal. And later, on the penalty kill, he loses inside position on his man and uses a lazy one handed poke in trying(or seemingly trying) to break up a backdoor pass to Nicklas Backstrom which fails miserably resulting in the puck promptly being deposited into the net.

So, is Gorges referring to himself when talking about players who aren’t committed? Because the mistakes he mentions and ties back to an uncommitted teammate or teammates are the exact kinds of mistakes he made on Saturday night.

What happened to accountability?

• Habfan10912 says:

I posted below that yesterday he acted like a leader. Now he needs to start paying like one.

• Loonie says:

Respectfully, a great leader if he’s going to discuss the team’s results and specifically reference breakdowns like this would fully acknowledge that he’s been a problem first, the team second.

Great leaders look to themselves before they look to their teammates.

Gorges isn’t a great leader in my opinion.

• Mattyleg says:

Gorges doesn’t have to be a leader to the media, though.
          He just has to answer their questions.

Don’t assume that what he says to the media is the same as what he says in the dressing room.

He has no need to say it to the media. Plekanec did as much at the end of his terrible season, and the media were all over it, and it still comes back to haunt him.

Can you imagine what would happen if Gorges said to the media that he isn’t working hard enough and is making mistakes??

Fuggedaboudit.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Loonie says:

He should choose his words more carefully as it is then Matty. Saying that x, y and z mistakes are indicative of somebody not committed to the team when he’s the one making them is awful.

• Mattyleg says:

All he’s saying is that all the players need to be on board.
            He could be one of those players, and probably knows that he is.

I’m sure that there is no-one more aware of Gorges’ mistakes than he himself.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Lafleurguy says:

Hope he isn’t evolving to be one of those players whose greatest skill is to be good in one of those rooms. Which room was Gomez good in again? (insert joke here)

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Clay says:

I thought Gomez was the joke – no need to insert another one :D

__________________________

• Lafleurguy says:

And Bob Gainey should be credited for channeling the Brothers Gibb in popularizing “I Started a Joke” in this neighborhood!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Ian Cobb says:

Loonie, I have noticed for a long while that Gorges and PK do not mix, in the room or on the ice! I think Gorges is jealous of PK, but if it was not for PK, Gorges would have not gotten the fat contract!!

• habstrinifan says:

Another example of why I think Gorges ‘good-guy’ ramblings are often artfully self-exculpatory.

13. Skeptical says:

If Habs goal was to make the playoffs and quit. Than they should look up the word PRIDE in the dictionary.

14. AllHailTheFlower says:

Has anyone heard whether the dicks at CBC have decided to pick up the Habs / Jets game on Thursday?

15. Loonie says:

When you tell your team that your goal for them was to make the playoffs, some of them will decide that they’ve accomplished all that is necessary to satisfy you.

Hopefully Marc Bergevin has a talk with the team and offers a “well I told the media that the expectation was the playoffs because I wanted you to remain an underdog, my expectation is for you to play your best every night and let the results take care of themselves”.

Seems redundant I’m sure but if that message wasn’t clarified earlier I believe it’s fair to say that it’s been the single biggest reason for this team’s slide over the last few games.

• Habfan10912 says:

Interesting post Tom. Others have made similar observations. I would live to hear Chris’ take on this. It’s kind of an opposite of momentum theory which he argued against several weeks ago. Chris?

• habstrinifan says:

I didnt want to bring up that uninspiring angle myself… there’s a yellow streak in me. But you are right in observing that both MB and MT (look up MT’s quote about it being hard to make the playoffs in the NHL which it really isnt) seemed to offer a George Bush like “Mission Accomplished” sense of satisfaction response to making the playoffs.

If your read is correct and it did have that effect on the team, then it means that the team itself looks to these two for leadership in a BIG way…. which from all appearances it does. So YOU ARE RIGHT, a reinvigorated message of renewal from one or both will do wonders.

• Mattyleg says:

I think that the ‘we made the playoffs’ idea is the reason for the beginning of the slide.

They took their foot off the gas for a game or two, thinking they could slip back into their previous form, and then realised that it is easier in theory than in practice.

I think that this practice yesterday was good for the team, to be able to focus on what was clicking for them before.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• ed says:

I agree.

The Habs played virtually every game the same way leading up to that Buffalo game; and this led to them scoring the 1st goal about 80% of the time and giving up very few scoring chances against.

Suddenly, the Habs clinch a playoff spot, and they come out in the 1st period flat, on their heels, and giving up multiple scoring chances in the 1st 10 minutes.

To play sports at a high level, to play at the highest level in the NHL especially, even the tiniest drop in concentration can change the results against you.

The great offensive tackle, slightly distracted, starts missing assignments.

The great golfer, slightly distracted, has his tempo or his swing change just enough to ruin the result.

The great pitcher, slightly distracted, is throwing strikes right down the heart of the plate instead of catching the black paint.

And the Habs, slightly distracted by their accomplishment of making the playoffs have come out of the gate flat, lacking focus, lacking energy.

The leaders need to lead this team back to the level of concentration they were at prior to clinching.

• Lafleurguy says:

The team peaked too early. We used to beat Washington 4-1. We used to compete well into the third period (give or take a second period collapse) or OT. Carey used to trail the list of five-hole goal leaders. When Markov or Gorges messed up earlier in the season, the D-partner or a forward would be there to cover up; now, it’s “beat one Hab d-man, and you’re in alone for a glorious scoring chance.” Anyway, I’m all in with fan-emotions for the team win, but I had to use the logical part of the brain for a moment.

“May you live in interesting times.”

16. Sportfan says:

Oh boy back to the DD line people might get upset with that one.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

17. Habfan17 says:

I have stated my opinion that the Habs should trade Plekanec this summer since they have Eller, Galchenyuk, DD, Halpern, and possibly Bournival or Nattinen coming soon. Pleks has peaked and could be used to obtain a player who is much needed, a power forward for the left side with sandpaper.

Many people condemn me saying he is the best Hab. Let’s put that in perspective. If that is so, and if you take the best player from each of the teams, in some cases the best two players, Pleks would rank near the bottom of the list. He may be the Habs best, but that does not mean they can’t get someone better who fills a need long term.

Habfan17

• Loonie says:

His loss creates a need unless they plan on playing Galchenyuk at centre full time next year.

I’d trade somebody who shouldn’t be in the long term plans of the team(like Plekanec) but who brings less versatility.

• Cal says:

This post condemned by the Common Sense Authority of Habland. Details to follow.

• Mattyleg says:

Once we get rid of Plekanec, we need to get a player who can do everything that he does.

Which we won’t.

He has given tons to the team, and I think that we should keep him on. There are too many people who approach supporting their NHL team like it’s a video-game, where players are traded willy-nilly with no concept of team continuity, the role of veterans, and mutual respect between player and management.

Trading Pleks would be a foolish mistake.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Loonie says:

Well Eller can do most of what Plekanec does but not yet as well. Moving Plekanec would also create a void in that we don’t have anyone with Eller’s versatility to play those third line minutes of a similar style. We also wouldn’t have a second player like them to compensate for the holdover being injured.

• Habfan17 says:

I would put DD on the third with Kristo, perhaps LeBlanc, and Prust
          Patches has been around lomg enough now to take a lead role and help Galchenyuk fit into the first line role with Gallagher on the right side.

Trade Pleks or sign a left winger for the 2nd line and put him with Eller, who has four seasons already and Bourque, who scores better at his natural right side. Halpern can be kept for another season for experience on the 4th line. Moen, well, if he isn;t happy as a 4th line player, trade him. White can play the right side if he can get it together.

That still leaves Bournival, Dumont, and Nattinen as potential centres.

Habfan17

• Habfan17 says:

I will agree to disagee, I think this os a case of us Hab fans over valueing our players. Eller is younger and is rogressing well and he now has four seasons of experience. I would have traded DD, but now that he is signed, would Bergevin move him? Galchenyuk will be at centre and I say next season put him with Patches and Gallagher.

I think it is the other way around. Some fans look at this with rose coloured glasses and instead of looking to the future and maximizing returns, they want to hold onto players for sentimental reasons. Do you want a team that consistently competes for a cup or do you want to be loyal to a player who has given his all, but in the grand scheme of things, does not lift his team, Just compare him to Alfredson. You can’t Alfi has done more, he has mentored players and never complained and his stats still remain high. He played when the team stunk, and still put up numbers, and he makes players better. Pleks does not do this. I like him, he has been a solid player, but now his value lies in getting a piece that is more needed and fits longer term. This is not a video game willy nilly act.

Habfan17

18. DMCP says:

New to the Site. When the often injured Armstrong played in Toronto it was said and supported statistcally that when Armstrong was in the line-up the Leafs were a harder to team to play against. Apparently it would appear that this is also so in HABLAND.

• Habfan10912 says:

Greetings and welcome aboard Dan! Interesting post but the teams poor performance is a team wide issue starting in defensive zone including the net. Armstrong is close to returning so your theory may get tested. CHeers.

• Mattyleg says:

Welome to the House Of Fun.

I agree. People were saying that Emelin’s injury was the one that hurt us, but I think that it’s a combination of him and Armstrong that hurt our defensive play most.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Lafleurguy says:

You’re taking too long to give your opinion on Price and Desharnais.

“May you live in interesting times.”

19. Lafleurguy says:

The glass was more than half-full, but now it’s more than half-empty. Sad to think the highlight of this season may have occurred already, March 27th, Markov-to-Chara, Budaj-wall, Gallagher-does-shootouts-well-too. Detroit briefly dispatched Osborne to the Islanders, but in candid assessments of their goaltending quality in prepping for long runs in the playoffs, they picked up Mike Vernon, Dominic Hasek, and Curtis Joseph. M. Bergevin has impressed, but he’s still learning, and has to leave unspoken that his management moves has been to build a strong core for the team, and short-term successes are secondary.

From the movie “Ice-Rinks of Dreams,”* “….if you build it, Stanley will come…..”

“May you live in interesting times.”
    *notavailableondvd

20. habstrinifan says:

If you think Burly was insufferable before, watch the HABS go 3 in a row and (lopsidedly) and Burly strut!

Just pulling your leg HabinBurlington. In fact I think you have brought our mojo back.. and it’s going to be great. Humility is overrated anyhow!

I would love to see them turn it around, but no way in heck it could be attributed to me, just the blame for losses will I accept my friend. Lets hope for a fresh new start from the boys this week.

I still believe! (But I also didn’t really watch any of the last 5 games….so perhaps I continue to have blind faith)

21. Steeltown Hab says:

Ryder only seems to have a clue with Plekanecs, let’s please keep him there.

Galchenyuk – Eller – Bourque will work well. Gallagher and a motivated Pacioretty are probably the only thing that can make DD a productive center for us right now.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• habstrinifan says:

You messing up my lines!

• Habfan17 says:

The whole team seems to be in a funk these last few games. Maybe they are mentally fatigued and since they made the playoffs, they have allowed themsleves to take the foot off the gas. Now we will see if the so called leaders ( Gionta, Gorges, + Pleks ), can get them all focused and playing the way they were for most of the season. If not, trade them this off season.

Habfan17

22. Habfan10912 says:

There seems to be a lot of Latin being thrown out this morning – pointing at Clay and Guy -. That’s way OVER my head. I barley understand enough English to keep up with you folks here. :)

23. habstrinifan says:

Those, on this site who know me, know that I am a genius. So it will come as no surprise that I have the ANSWERS … I repeat ALL the answers.

Answer #1: Put Bourque, DD, Pacs on a line. Show them videos of Cole, DD, Pacs and have them cpy that style .. keep them together through thick and thin.

Answer #2: Put Gallagher Plekanec Gionta on a line. Annoint them de facto the best HABS line in the last 5 years and let them do their thing. …again keep them together through thick and thin.

Thus you would have.. the bull-like unfancy up-down play of last years Cole line… all speed on wings and shots shots shots shots. Did I say shots?

And you would have the tireless effort of Plekanec and Gionta complemented by the youthful energy (also tireless) Gallagher. But you would add to Plekanec and Gionta the trait that Gallagher brings.. he likes to shove the game up the opponent’s ar$$#% by scoring. And they are all three good skaters, good puck handles, good defensively and just plain together would be the best triumvirate that Habs could assemble today. Fiddle with the other lines as you wish but keep these together.

Dress Weber as a 7th D/forward from now on.

White, Blunden, Moen could do cameo appearances on line 1.
    Dumont, Galchenyuk, Halper could do cameo appearances on line 2.

White Blunden cannot both be out of the line up ever from now on.

Then..and this is big.. but first go back in your memory. Remember the game against Tampa and the games surrounding that game. Remember the site of P.K and Macs skating out of the D-Zone 3 abreast .. man it was beautiful hockey. Remember the buzz. This was when the buzz around the team was highest. Even players (Gorges for instance) was marveling at P.K skating the puck outta the zone. Even Boone in his blog was extolling the glory of that style of hockey. It was beautiful. Well that’s what we need. Not dump the puck and let the forwards cycle.

OOOP! gotta run… Ban-Ki-Moon is on the phone. He’s worse than Boutros Boutros Ghali man! See ya!

24. RetroMikey says:

Let’s say if we were the Nashville Predators as a team for example or even any other team, how many fans on this site would say Price is no good, or Gorges ain;t even a top 6 DMan or they are too small….?
    But we are the Montreal Canadiens and we tend to overrate most of our players……..sad but true.
    Nothing wrong in defending the players, but reality must be sent in, we know know what the weaknesses are with the club…
    I cannot think of an “elite” player on the teams besides the Gally boys among their peers.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

25. Cal says:

For the conspiracy theorists among us: since clinching a playoff spot, the Habs have gone into rope-a-dope mode. Any team that faces them in the first round (arguably the toughest round to win) will have overconfidence up the wazoo. It’s a master plan that only the genius of the coaching staff could concoct.
    You read it here first. Nyah, nyah!

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• RetroMikey says:

Master plan Cal? lol
      It will be Carlyle vs Therrien and the big boys vs the the smaller boys!
      It will be a close series but the edge to the Laffs, why?
      Carlyle has been a genus turning Toronto around.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• port elgin says:

Toronto has nothing, maybe a sniper or two and I like JVR. Other than that there are turtles for defencemen and a beer league goalie who is riding a hot air balloon sky high right now but the air will come out here shortly and he will crash down to earth.

• RetroMikey says:

I hope you are right my friend, but we may be small and have more skill, I’ll take a team of turtles who are bigger physically and a beer league goalie who has absolutely no pressure going into the series against Montreal.
          The pressure is on Price and the other vets like Plekanec, Markov, Gorges, Gionta to name a few, players who have played in the playoffs before with their experience.
          Toronto has no pressure going into the playoffs, just getting in was a surprise many here thought they would not make it.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• habstrinifan says:

No offense Cal but concocters always outsmart themselves. Witness Merlin and Camelot!

26. Habfan10912 says:

Perhaps the Office of Player Safety should spend less time educating players and fans on what constitutes penalties and more time teaching it’s on ice officials.

New week, chance for the team to reset and find their mojo.

28. 365fan says:

Any indication of the Habs forming a “taxi” squad of guys from Hamilton, and if so, who will be on it?

29. jon514 says:

No doubt times have been hard the past two weeks… BUT, this week is gonna be different. 3 BIG wins coming, culminating in a 9-2 pasting of the leafs on Saturday. You heard it here first!

30. With all the commotion over the past couple of weeks about Carey Price is unbelievable what I have read here. No wonder what trash hits this site and belittles a certain player on this team. CP isn’t playing his best right now and there are many factors for the reasons why. I don’t need to elevaborate since some of you already have the answers to Habs problem. CP.

Maybe its time to sit CP for remainder of season & playoffs and lets see how far Budaj can carry this team. How many of you bashers would cry for MT & MB for NOT playing CP. IMHO, you trollers would have something else to say for sure!!

What can the Habs management get for CP if they decided to trade CP and who will be the Habs no.1 starter then? A possible trade in Carey Price for Marc-Andre Fleury and see how many losses CP would have then? Get my drift!!!

Enough is enough and everybody is entitled to their opinion but definitely not trash talking that continues when the Habs lose. Some of you who do and you know who you are needs to chill out. CP is the main reason why Habs are into the playoffs and the team play was great. IMO the Habs will turn it around but may not go very far with a couple of key injuries that has set this team back on its heels.

Its up to the coaching staff to make necessary adjustments and get them playing as a team. A win would be a plus and everything will be normal. Get behind your team and don’t let reporters entice you to put vulgar words and trash on this site. CP will bail his teammates from time to time. CP cannot STOP them all and this team gives up great scoring chances in a game is a result of poor coverage in defensive zone. Habs needs to get back and play a really good team game by communicating to each other on the ice. Enough said. Habs will look very good in a couple of years.

Go Habs Go!!!

• Good post but hey most of us understand what’s going on..well I hope so. Support them all the way!

Let the jumpers jump.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• HardHabits says:

There is no “elevaborate”.

It’s “elaborate”.

• Maritime Ron says:

I get what you’re saying, yet Price has his part in the recent meltdown.
      Look, everyone has a bad day or 2 at the office, yet when Price is the 3rd highest Cap hit in the entire NHL for goaltenders and has 6 appearances in a row> 5 terrible appearances-1 acceptable appearance with the help of several goal posts and cross bars, you have to expect both concern and criticism.

When you make that kind of money, you are expected to make the big save more often than not along with not having multiple bad games in a row

The Bell Centre crowd has been very understanding and supportive to date, but Price needs to pick it up and make that big save early.
      Can he? We’ll see and god only knows if he doesn’t during the playoffs

• Clay says:

Hoc est verum

__________________________

31. Maritime Ron says:

Here’s hoping we can find our way out of this mess, but if things really go south, I’m wondering which one of these stories will be dusted off if not all of them.

The RDS AntiChambre trade list to come.

1) Habs should trade draft picks and or prospects to LA for Jonathan Bernier
    2) Habs should trade Price to Edmonton for Galchenyuk’s junior line mate Yakupov
    3) Habs should trade Subban for Letang
    4) Habs should trade Markov Eller + to Philly for Claude Giroux
    5) Habs should trade Gionta for St. Louis
    6) Habs should trade Gallagher for Huberdeau
    6) Habs should chase UFAs Pascal Dupuis-Mike Riberio-Max Lapierre-Pierre Marc Bouchard-Latendresse…..
    7) Habs have to chase heavyweight Patrick Bordeleau

• Clay says:

Weber, Kaberle, and a 5th for Crosby and Malkin?

__________________________

• HabFanSince72 says:

Nah he was implying that the frogs want more frogs on the team.

• Clay says:

I like frogs as much as the next guy (ate some frog a couple of weeks ago, actually ;) ), but I like my idea better.

__________________________

• Ton says:

I watch it every night………I don’t see coming up with trade stories……..they have bee rather positive this year and when they do critizize they often do come up with solutions. Suggestl line changes etc. At one time they had DD going to the 4th line!

• Habfan17 says:

Maybe they have been positive because when Therrien left to become coach of the Habs, he threatened to kick the crap out of them if they crapped on the Habs…lol

Habfan17

32. Captain aHab says:

All three teams we will be playing to close off the season will be playing their 3rd game in 4 nights when they face us. Simply put, Habs have to come out skating hard in each game to wear them down early.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

33. JUST ME says:

Suddenly it`s a one player team. Blame Price when they lose,congratulate everyone else when they win. Although i am not saying that he is having his best moments of the season, i must say the same about the defensive unit and the team play as a unit of five.

I`d rather stick with the team concept and get through tough times as a team should. Those guys have learned what it takes to win and now are going through the same process for the losses. Am damn proud of them and the season we went through. Will not be able to say thet it was boring and uneventfull. Sure looks promissing !

34. HammerHab says:

to the guy who said trade price & moen for yakupov, paajarvi & whitney….who exactly would the Habs have as their #1 goaltender?

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

35. thehammer says:

Truthfully right now no and that’s coming from a Price believer. However I do think he can prove me and everyone else wrong.

36. RazzleDazzle says:

Do you have confidence Carey Price will regain his form in time for the playoffs?

- What form exactly did he have? No really.

• makka83 says:

his stats in Jan/Feb were good. march was not that good. April has been awful. So maybe they mean early season form. Or last year’s form where he was the best player on the team hands down.

37. fastfreddy says:

Carey Price has not played well at all lately, all can attest to that, however, where are the rest of the team members? Their efforts have been pretty weak also. Price isn’t going to steal games ala Patrick Roy, so the offence has to do its part and score some goals.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

38. jedimyrmidon says:

Looking at just how poorly the Habs have played over the past week, I’d say they’ve probably been the worst team in the entire league. Worse than Colorado, Calgary, Nashville, Florida, etc.

Is that where the Habs should ‘truly’ be placed in the standings? I don’t think so. And it’s also why I think it’s ridiculous to be making general conclusions about certain players.

I liked Mario Tremblay’s reaction on the AC Saturday night: he was basically getting irritated that no one apparently wanted to talk about anyone else except Price as if he were the only reason for this team’s woes. I think the rest of the team is getting away with a lot in the eyes of the casual viewers with Price acting as a meat shield.

39. SteverenO says:

Power Play Shenanigans:

we had 5 PP opportunities against the Capitals. Here is how the coaches reacted:
    PP # 1:
    73-24-21 1st wave ***67-51-11- 2nd wave (26 secs)
    PP # 2
    67-14-21 1st wave **** 27-81-11 2nd wave (38 secs)
    PP # 3
    73-14-21 – 1st wave *** 67-51-11 2nd wave (38 secs)
    PP #4;
    67-14-21 -1st wave **** 17-27-11 2nd wave (60 secs)
    PP # 5:
    27-81-11 1st wave –(16 secs) *** 2nd wave 67-14-21 (63 secs)
    17-51-73 3rd wave (21 secs)(period end) – 67-14-21 4th wave

From this we can gather that in preparation for the game the coaching staff had designated
    PP line 1 as ryder-plek-gionta (good sense they have been top PP performers all season)
    PP line 2 was Patches-DD- Gallagher (questionable –this line has NEVER produced on the PP)

On the second PP a change was made, the coaching staff decided to substitute Patches for Ryder on the first wave . Third PP Ryder was back on the first wave, and on the 4th and 5th PP Patches is back with Plek and Gionta.

It seems like the coaches could not make up their minds. The one thing that they were quite certain about however is that, Eller who was on for 2 PP goals in less than 30 seconds of ice time against the Jets on April 4th -should never get a chance to get a regular shift on the PP, not for even one game .

In my opinion, this team has lost all respect for the coaching staff.Players are not rewarded when they do well, but chastised when they make mistakes. Certain players are obviously favorited, and no matter how ineffective they are they continue to be rewarded with more than their share of ice time.

There was a point in this season when I thought that this team had a chance to make some “noise” in the playoffs. That is no longer the case. The coaches are not competent enough to play the right players in the right situations, and while this team has shown flashes, they are not nearly good enough to overcome that great of a handicap.

I believe that we will either go out in 4 straight, regardless of the opponent,with 2 or 3 very close games or perhaps win one game at best.

If were lucky we will do so badly that the GM will have no choice but to look at replacing the coach before we suffer through another season of inexplicable coaching decisions.

regards,

Steve O.

40. SteverenO says:

While I never believed that price was AS good as people were making him out to be, I always thought that he was an above average goalie. I am 100% certain that he is not as bad as he has looked in his last few starts.

Hopefully, He will find his game between now and the start of the playoffs.

regards,

Steve O.

41. doug19 says:

The playoffs is where players are truly measured and stars are born. Robinson, Dryden and Roy lept out of the crowd. Even Cammy leapt out! Who do you pick to emerge this playoffs?
    I look forward to see how Moen plays, lately he plays like he is 50.Herb Brooks would say he is playing like next week.

Tampa is clearly Habs best chance for the playoffs this year.

43. j2w4habs25 says:

As of everyone knows we got 3 games remaining in this short season, short in deed because the Leafs are in the playoffs. These next 3 games will show us where the Canadians will stand in the standings. It is possible we can meet Boston , Toronto or 7th place. So the seatings are all still open. Toronto has been good against us in the regular season and its not the same in the playoffs. If we can get them in the playoffs we have better chances against them. They have a bunch of first timers in the playoffs. I think the Bell Centre crowd will put them into shock if we get them. The Bruins, it will be a hard task – it will go 7 games. We need to be ready for the playoffs. Lets hope we can get atleast 5 points in the last 3 games.

Carey Price #31

44. Trisomy 21 says:

Did anyone notice how many games Marchand missed with his “concussion”?

45. thehammer says:

Small_town_boy did I miss something? You mentioned something along the lines Roy thinking he was above the team. Has price recently done or said something to suggest that?

And by no means do I mean that in a negative way. Just not sure if I’m reading it right or missed something.

46. Small_Town_Boy says:

I support Carey Price through the good & the bad.

Why don’t Roy use his big mouth & talk to Carey. Roy thought he was above the team & it got his a$$ shipped out of town.

Dat’s wha me tinks

• The Dude says:

Anyone who calls down Roy won’t be heard by him cause Cup rings in his ears :)

That’s what we know

• Saintpatrick33 says:

Roy didn’t think he was above the team he was publicly embarrassed by his coach. He has a lot of pride and he did so much for that team. I tell ya I wish Price had a little of Roy’s confidence and intensity then he would be truly great.

47. joshua94k says:

Looking at the NHL standings, it is clear there are no dominant teams. Once the play-offs start, it is open game for anyone. The Habs can compete with anyone. For those with a negative attitude, just chill-out. The Canadiens will win a couple of games this week, Price will be sharp, and the Habs will win the Stanley Cup.

“I want to kill somebody cutting across the blue line and I want to score the goal and celebrate. And I’ll do it by any means possible to win a hockey game. That’s how I feel playing there (the Bell Centre). I am not sure I have that feeling anywhere else.” – PK Subban

• Skeptical says:

Pittsburgh is as close to dominant as it comes. If fluery dosen’t choke. Pittsburgh all the way …..

• Bill says:

I like the optimism. However. Wouldn’t you say Chicago are pretty dominant? Five regulation losses this year. 8-0-2 in their last ten. Pittsburgh are also pretty fantastic. Washington are beginning to look like a serious threat too.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Skeptical says:

Bill: Chicago is the best in the west but. To go all the way. If fluery don’t let them down like he has in the past. Pittsburgh. with crosby, Malkin and neal in the lineup. Can’t see any team beating them …..

48. thehammer says:

It’s sad when people thing the only issue is goaltending. Shows how simple they think the game of hockey is.

49. punkster says:

It was April and I was north of the 49th parallel working on the case of the missing goal tender. One the game’s biggest stars had disappeared without a trace.

As I sat in my hotel room, a dingy flop house near the center of one the continent’s oldest cities in what is affectionately dubbed la belle province, I heard a knock on the door and when I opened it in she walked… a tall, cool drink of water, dressed in a black silk number that warmed me to the bones…and in this minus 20 degree Montreal spring weather, I figured she had arrived just in time.

She said her name was Moira…Moira Turpitude…and she heard I was in the market for some information about a certain goal tender and since she was in the neighborhood and all, figured she may as well look me up. Claimed she knew the whereabouts of this guy and for the right price she might just tell me the whole story.

So I forked over the dough and sat back as she regaled me with her tale…and quite the tale she had…er…to tell that is. Seems it wasn’t only the goalie that was missing but the entire team…all of them. According to Miss Turpitude the April 9 flight the team took to Washington was intercepted by an alien space craft and everyone on board infected with a deadly alien virus known as Koffupdabiscuititis. As a result they’ve only been able to eek out 2 measly wins, both of those to a couple of teams who, as it turns out, had been hijacked by the very same alien space craft last summer.

Well what’s to be done, I asked her…how do they overcome this dilemma, is there an antidote…or anecdote, as it were? Yes, she said, the answer is simple. No matter what else happens this week they must beat the Leafs…then the virus will have run its course, the infection will be purged, the spell will be broken, and it will be smooth sailing for the next 6 weeks or so.

I thanked Miss Turpitude and sent her on her way back into the cold and forbidding Montreal spring comfortable in the knowledge that once again the answer to the case of the missing goal tender lay in that one, simple, solitary solution…beat the Leafs.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

50. habsfan0 says:

Carey Price’s Song?

I’m a loser
    I’m a loser
    And I’m not what I appear to be

Of all the games I have won or have lost
    There is one shot I should never have muffed
    It was a shot in a million, my friend
    I should have known the Bruins would win in the end

I’m a loser
    And I lost a series because of me
    I’m a loser
    And I’m not what I appear to be

Although I laugh and I act like a clown
    Beneath this mask I am wearing a frown
    My tears are falling like rain from the sky
    Is it for the fans or myself that I cry

I’m a loser
    And I lost a series because of me
    I’m a loser
    And I’m not what I appear to be

What have I done to deserve such a fate
    I realize I have left it too late
    And so it’s true, pride comes before a fall
    I’m telling you so that you won’t lose all

I’m a loser
    And I lost a series because of me
    I’m a loser
    And I’m not what I appear to be

51. Sportfan says:

Flames know they need to rebuild right?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Apparently not, they could have had a top 3 pick but they are blowing it. I guess you have to give them credit for continuing to play hard. Our #2 pick from Calgary keeps getting worse, at least Nashville continues to lose.

52. frontenac1 says:

@Bill. That”s Loco talk amigo. Except for hanging Youppi from the tree. I hate him.

53. ed says:

sometimes tough times call for tough measures. here are my 2 suggestions.

suggestion #1 : we stop the “swarm” defence immediately, and never go back to it. It is a crap shoot whose number has come up. For 30 something games – I’m too depressed to count exactly how many – the stupidity of both defenceman and a center chased the puck into the corner, like 9 year olds playing Atom house league, and somehow we managed to beat the odds and come out on top. Those days are over, I say!! Our number has been called, and our luck has run out.

It is time to keep 1 defenceman in front of the net, and go back to a conventional defensive strategy.

Suggestion #2 – Price goes back to his pads he wore before we clinched against Buffalo.

So let it be written. So let it be done!

54. issie74 says:

If we end up 7th play the Bruins and send them home early … that will be a very satisfying season for me.

Go HABS!!!

NorthTOHab

55. hab fan in leaf jungle says:

These Habs suck big-time and will get blown out in 4. Price sucks even more b/c he earns 6.5M per and plays worse than a pee-wee goalie. It’s a good thing I don’t pay to watch them play or I’d be really pissed off. MB has to find out what the hell is going on in the room and with Therrien and get rid of the offending personnel in the summer. While he’s at it he should get rid of Price and Moen to Edmonton for Nail Yakupov and Paajarvi and Whitney.

56. habs001 says:

One thing to remember is to pvr Game of Thrones lol… the other is that another goalie may not perform any better than Price if he comes and plays in Montreal…The team has to stay with Price and give him a decent roster…if he does not perform at that time than you have to explore another goalie…Fans tend to over evaluate the players on their team…This Habs team has overachieved based on its talent level…The same posters who think this team is a cup contender would shred this team if it was called the Toronto Maple Leafs…

57. ProHabs says:

How are Kristo, Leblanc and Collberg doing in Hamilton.

Maybe we can call them all up and have a kid smurf line to go with all of our other smurf lines.

Did Habs fire Therrien yet?

59. Habfan10912 says:

Josh Gorges behaved like a leader today. Now we need him to start playing like one.

60. Mondou6 says:

I paid money to attend the game last night. It was possibly the least fun hockey game I’ve ever attended.

Instead of rock music, they should have played the sad trombone sound over the loudspeaker after it was 2-0. At that point I said, “We need the next goal to have any chance at all.”

And shortly thereafter it was 3-0, 4-0, and 5-0.

The building was a morgue all night, and it was garbage time from 8:00 PM on…

• Habfan10912 says:

I feel your pain Mondou. Took my son and Grandson to a game last season and it was pretty much what you saw last night. We are from out of town so we enjoyed the City anyways. Hopefully the boys have this out of their system.

• port elgin says:

Money well spent. Overpriced tickets to watch overpriced players.

61. WhatUp says:

don’t want to add anymore controversy but that beach ball on ALM..i can’t see it clearly crossing the red line so not a goal me thinks..end of story

62. frontenac1 says:

Hey,that” one pill that makes you larger”,is that viagra or Salt Peter? ……Nuna?

63. frontenac1 says:

@nina76. You tell em Amigo! Saludos!!

64. Coca Cola Kid says:

In spite of hos bonehead/unfortunate plays of late I think the Habs should give him another chance – having watched Washington manhandle our guys at will with no payback last night I think that White woud have kept the Caps a little more on their toes

65. habzfan2003 says:

3-1 Calg… Arg… Bunch of dummies!

66. deuce6 says:

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs 10h

#Habs Price last night: “I have to make a few more saves. We can all play better as a group and it starts with me.”
    *********************************
    I have no problem with most of the goals..The majority are defensive break downs that lead to goals that Price has to scramble to stop/deflected shots/etc.., but the pee wee caliber goals he is letting in has to stop..

Good on him for feeling accountable and I really hope he can get it together before the playoffs because if we are going to do any damage in the playoffs, it starts with Carey being sharp and in the zone..Hopefully, he kicks the monkey off his back against the Leafs and that will kick start his confidence..

We need him focused and zoned in..

I am guilty of making jokes/wise cracks about his play, but I am the type of person that likes to make light of dark situations..

—————–
    Brandon Prust doesn’t have hair on his testicles, because hair does not grow on steel….

• Mondou6 says:

Price is a nice guy, and a decent goalie. It’s not his fault we pay him $6.5M a year. Good for him and his agent getting that contract.

But all things considered, I’d prefer some other team was paying him $6.5M a year.

67. Cal says:

If anyone had said that, by April 19th, the Habs would have made the playoffs, I would have taken it gladly.
    This season, the Habs have been a hell of a lot of fun to watch. Unexpected victories, surprising poise from rookies, Markov back at 75%, Subban’s offense and stalwart performances by vets like Boullion and Armstrong, Gionta and Pleks; these all are markers of a SUCCESSFUL season after finishing 28th overall one year ago.
    Injuries and poor play of late have caught up to the Habs with one week of regular season left, but I still think this team can and will make some noise in the playoffs. Even if they don’t, this has been a fun year to be a fan.

• deuce6 says:

With great accomplishment, comes great expectations..

Its a tough law, but that’s the way it is..

——————

68. gumper says:

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

69. HabFanSince72 says:

A lot of us fear we are witnessing the start of a slow-motion car crash (the driver has just lost control and the car is starting to swerve into oncoming traffic). We’re having eerie flashbacks of the centennial year and the 4-0 loss to the Bs, alternating with nightmarish hallucinations of Cherry, Healy, Stock grinning with satisfaction on national TV as we drop 4 straight to the Leafs.

There’s still hope but whatever happens we should not lose our sense of humour. Commenting here has become more dangerous than tweeting a derogatory comment about Justin Bieber.

70. gumper says:

Remember way back, two or three weeks ago, when everyone was saying how we were set for years to come, especially on defence? Ah, the good old days. A team is probably neither quite as good as it looks when it’s winning nor as bad as it looks when it’s losing. The Habs deserve to be where they are because they’ve have worked hard, meshed well, and come to play every night (at least up till they clinched and lost Emelin), but anyone who believes this team is a contender is either looking at the world through rose coloured glasses or very powerful meds. Now, if they were the Pens or Hawks, maybe the level of hysteria we’re seeing here would be appropriate. They’re not. Not even close. But just the same it’s been a good year in just about every way. We have been treated regularly to exciting hockey. It’s been as good a bounceback year as any I’ve seen. Best of all we have rising stars again, (Gally, Chucky, PK) and a signed stable of solid players, (Gorges, Eller, Price, Emelin, Prust), who will be with us for years to come. Sure we need one or two key players on defence, and one or two at the forward positions, but we have cap space, tradeable players and picks. At least Bergevin is getting a real good look at his team’s deficiencies as well as its ability to pull itself out of a tailspin. If they don’t manage it, and bow in the first round, a) they’re still light years ahead of where they were at this point last season b) the guys upstairs will have had a good opportunity to evaluate who are the keepers and who aren’t, unlike last year, when pretty much everybody look like a clunker. In any case, let’s not throw up our hands just yet, Habs fans. Remember the hallmark of this team, this year, has been its ability to bounce back, just like wee Gally does every time someone knocks him down. There’s still some fight left in this dog, so let’s not count them out just yet.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

71. habzfan2003 says:

Flames not doing much to help our draft pick #… Leading 2-1 on the road against the playoff bound Minnesota Wild.

“C’mon Man”

72. Propwash says:

Reposting this from the previous page…

Interesting video on shooters illusion

*edit* It also answers why Price is on his knees alot.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

73. L Elle says:

When your truth is found to be lies
    And all the joy within you dies

Don’t you want somebody to hate?
    Don’t you need somebody to hate?
    Wouldn’t you love somebody to hate?
    You better find someone to hate, hate

When your lives are empty and dead
    Yes, and you’re blind, you’re blind, you’re screwed in your head

Don’t you want somebody to hate?
    Don’t you need somebody to hate?
    Wouldn’t you love somebody to hate?
    You better find someone to hate, hate

Your soul, I say your soul may be like his
    Yeah, but in your life baby
    I’m afraid you don’t know where it is

Don’t you want somebody to hate?
    Don’t you need somebody to hate?
    Wouldn’t you love somebody to hate?
    You better find someone to hate, hate

Fears are runnin’, runnin’ along your CH crest
    And your friends, baby, they treat you like a guest

Don’t you want somebody to hate?
    Don’t you need somebody to hate?
    Wouldn’t you love somebody to hate?
    You better find someone to hate, hate

• Habfan10912 says:

That sums up the mood for some very well L. Good one. Song reminds me of another trying time in our society. CHeers bud.

• habsfan0 says:

ALL members of Jefferson Airplane are Jaroslav Halak fans.

• JohnBellyful says:

I hate it when the Habs lose.
      Am … am … am I screwed in the head?
      Oh, wait, you said, hate somebody. Not a problem.
      Will Bobby Clarke do? Billy Smith? Brad Marchand?
      Holy cow, I can think of a whole bunch of people to hate!
      Didja want them in alpahabetical order?
      (I also hate it when people come up with really good song parodies. Don’t mind him, that’s jealousy talkin’.)
      Jeers … I mean, CHeers, L! :)

• L Elle says:

:) You can hate anyone you want, but isn’t love better? :)

I know I took a hard stance today, or maybe I’ve watched too many Westerns in the day, feels like a lynchin’ mob around here these days.

All this emotion over a slump? Jeers, I mean Jeez. :)

I think the most glaring issue with Price are the expectations that came with his pedigree and being the 5th over-all draft selection, and that those expectations are tied into being a goaltender for the Montreal Canadiens, the most storied franchise in the NHL, whose last two Cup wins were a direct result and due to the fact that they had Patrick Roy in nets. Forget about mentioning Dryden, Plante, Durnan, Hainsworth or Vezina. That is some serious pantheon of greats right there.

It’s epic. Like Greek Mythology epic.

Add to that brew, the rabid fan base and the predatorial press corps and you have a pressure cooker under the microscope the likes of which would crack even the hardiest of stoic statues.

Yet Price embraces it. Yes he has faltered as of late. He knows it more than you or I.

It is up to destiny and the fates to determine whether this story turns to Tragedy or Comedy, whether fans witness and experience the agony of defeat or the thrill of victory.

Fasten you safety belts. Tight. We’re in for quite a ride yet.

• Habfan10912 says:

HH, you’ve summed up the difficulty and the special talent it takes to be a successful goalie in Montreal. Let’s hope he and the rest if the team turns this around soon.

• issie74 says:

Do you also remember Patrick’s last game in Montreal … I do … stupid hateful people who have the audacity to call themselves fans … were calling for Racicot … I wanted to cry for him … however I had to hold it in until they announced he had be traded … brutal.

NorthTOHab