No day of rest on Sunday for Habs

Sunday has normally been a day of rest for the Canadiens this season, but following Saturday’s 5-1 loss to the Washington Capitals at the Bell Centre coach Michel Therrien had the Habs players on the ice at 11 a.m. Sunday in Brossard for a practice.

The forward lines at practice were: Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta; Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher; Ryder-Eller-Galchenyuk; Moen-Halpern-Blunden; Prust-Dumont-Armstrong; White.

Defence pairings were: Markov-Subban; Gorges-Diaz; Bouillon-Weber; Kaberle-Drewiske.

“Today was about us getting better. It wasn’t a punishment or anything like that,” P.K. Subban told reporters in Brossard following practice. “It was about us getting back to doing the things that have made us successful. Sometimes you need to refresh your memory. The exciting thing about today is it’s another chance to get better and get ready for the next game. There’s a lot to play for right now and I think it’s about bringing our focus back to the forefront of exactly what we need to get focused on to be ready for the playoffs.”

Following Saturday’s game, defenceman Josh Gorges told reporters that the team was “soft”, having given up 25 goals while losing four of the last five games.

“I’ve been through enough (to know) you can’t just show up in Game 1 of the playoffs and think ‘now I’m going to start playing, now our team’s going to click.’ That doesn’t work,” Gorges said. “We have to make sure we’re prepared this week and have the effort. If we get scored on, so what? We have to bounce back and have that championship mentality.”

The 25 goals against in the last five games have come on 149 shots for an .832 team save percentage. In Carey Price’s last five appearances dating back to April 13 in Toronto – when he was pulled for the first of what would be two straight starts – he has a save percentage of .830 (19 goals on 112 shots). Price, who has a 20-12-4 record, has seen his goals-against average go up to 2.59, ranking 29th in the NHL, and his save percentage drop to .905, ranking 33rd. Price is 4-8 in his last 12 starts dating back to March 23.

Saturday was the final regular-season home game for the Canadiens, who wrap up the schedule with a three-game road trip this week with stops in New Jersey on Tuesday, Winnipeg on Thursday and Toronto on Saturday.

“We’ve got to focus on our defensive game,” Therrien said. “We have a week to go, three games, and I’m convinced we’ll be ready for the playoffs.”

The Boston Bruins ended a four-game winless streak with a 3-0 win over the Florida Panthers Sunday afternoon, moving them into a tie with the Canadiens for first place in the Northeast Division with 59 points. The Bruins have four games remaining in the regular season, one more than Montreal.

The Canadiens will practice at 11 a.m. Monday at the Bell Centre downtown before heading to New Jersey.

(Photo by Pierre Obendrauf/The Gazette)

Canadiens get no rest day after lopsided loss, by Pat Hickey

Canadiens drop to fourth place in conference, by Pat Hickey

Disappointment on Fan Appreciation Night, by Dave Stubbs

Gorges comes to defence of Price, by Dave Stubbs

Time to give Markov a rest before playoffs, by Jack Todd

Basic training, canadiens.com

Bruins snap slide, take Northeast Division lead, nhl.com

Bulldogs announce individual award winners, hamiltonbulldogs.com

1. Nina76 says:

Well !!!!! I went on the Habsinsideout to-day to read the comments. This seems to be all about Price, most of the comments are STUPID mostly from the armchair goalies listening to the game last nite I did not hear the boo’s for Price if that happened SHAME ON YOU!! there is no doubt that you are not a Habs fan WIN OR LOOSE WE STAND TO-GETHER. I do not like it when we do not win but I do not say wicked things about our players. IF YOU CANNOT SAY SOMETHING NICE KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT OR PUT YOUR HEAD WHERE THE SUN DOES NOT SHINE ” GO PRICE & ALL HABS PLAYERS ” I BELEIVE

• Habfan10912 says:

Nina, I love your passion. The purpose of this site is to discuss both the good and the bad of our team. I agree that some post are totally unfair in their criticism but most give thoughtful and fair opinions off our teams play.

• Trisomy 21 says:

I don’t know about most.
        Unfortunately though Nina, changing other people’s perspective of how they react to how the team is playing is an up hill battle. I love the Habs, but the fans think they own the team. I see people call the organization classy then jeer their goalie when he’s struggling the next.

2. Propwash says:

Interesting video on shooters illusion

*edit* It also answers why Price is on his knees alot.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

3. Ton says:

this in…..good sources new 44 million dollar contract for yemelin…..5 years………just short of 9 million/year…….

4. frontenac1 says:

@Commandant. Amen amigo! 8 days till the best time of the year!This Team and the Coaching staff are good.Enjoy the Ride amigos ,it will be fun.Saludos!

5. Red says:

♫_♫_♫
    _♫_♫_

There is a net in Bell Centre
    They call the Rising Sun
    And it’s been the ruin of many a goalie
    And God I Know I’m one

My fivehole was a failure
    It screwed my new goal pads
    My fans were a railin’ mad
    Down in Bell Centre

Now the only thing a goalie needs
    Is a defense and a glove
    And the only time he’s satisfied
    Is when he’s getting love

Oh mother tell your children
    Not to do what I have done
    Spend your lives in sin and misery
    In the Crease of the Rising Sun

Well, I got one skate on the platform
    The other skate on the train
    I’m goin’ back to Bell Centre
    To wear that ball and chain

Well, there is a net in Bell Centre
    They call the Rising Sun
    And it’s been the ruin of many a goalie
    And God I know I’m one

6. HabFab says:

Bulldog season finishes. Not much positive to report but like this;

dogsplaybyplay – Habs prospect Nathan Beaulieu, MVP, Rookie of the Year & Top Defenceman. Beaulieu drops gloves, drops Luke Adam!

7. alex777 says:

So let me get something straight…ppl here are suggesting that Habs buy out Price…which means that we would lose Price for nothing but keep Kaberle who is completely useless for another year?!!

Have people lost their minds?

8. J.T. says:

It’s very nice that Josh Gorges is defending his buddy Carey Price from all the heckling he’s been getting. But you know what? Gorges is a part of why Price is taking some heat. As great a leader as he’s purported to be, he’s got to take responsibility for his own personal stinkiness before he can expect others to buy in.

The truth is Gorges has vastly improved from his play of three or four years ago, when he not only backed into the crease instead of confronting the shooter, but usually also fell on top of his goalie who was trying to make the save. He doesn’t do that anymore, but he’s often out of position and he’s been quite soft in the corners recently. Perhaps if he vows to improve his own game, Price won’t get so much criticism for allowing goals on those errors.

That said, I heartily disagree with booing your own team. No ticket gives you the right to do that. If you don’t like losses, stay home.

9. Top Corner says:

THE MONTREAL CANADIENS RULE !!!!

10. Bun E. Laroque says:

Man a lot of you guys give up pretty easily. The last couple of weeks have been painful to watch for sure but it doesn’t completely nullify a surprisingly positive season. Few people even expected us to make the playoffs. A few bad (ok terrible) games does not mean our team sucks, our goalie is hopeless and its time to give up and revamp everything. Better to have a losing skid now rather than the first round of the playoffs. We have made great strides this year. We didn’t even have a semblance of a team last year. Its not a fluke that we won 27 games. We did it with the same strengths and the same weaknesses we have today. I may be in the minority but I think we can compete and we just might win a few games come playoff time. Of course this is up to the players and how much they want to win. Montreal is a difficult place to play. Its killed many a career. I think we have the makings of a very good team long term and I hope that Subban, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, etc., and especially Price can weather this storm and fulfill some of their massive potential. The difference between this place after a few wins and after a few losses is insane. Manic. Bipolar.

11. habzfan2003 says:

So worst team in NHL gets best chance at drafting #1 on draft day? My question is: Does Hamilton get anything for being the worst team in the league? Or do they just get the honor of being called the worst team?

12. JUST ME says:

I understand that everyone has the right to write their opinion and got use to see most of our players traded away before and during the season here and on other blogs. But i find myself trying to think and be polite and respectfull towards some that have different opinions or even some that are going through a bad day. We all know a few here mainly one with a 4 letter name that is hard to figure out.

But sometimes i wish HIO would moderate stupid comments even if there is no foul language used in them . I think we all know who i am talking about today,,,

13. habstrinifan says:

What is a line of Desharnais,Pacioretty and Gallagher going to do on the ice? All you would get is a cycle which looks useful but ISNT.

Pacioretty isn’t going to provide room for DD or Gallagher. He’s not an instigator of grit so to speak. He’s not a ‘one-on-one’ player. He is pure and simple an up-down-speedster with a shot but not abundant complementary techniques as a liemate. He wont dipsy-doozy or set-up people or really look for set-ups.

Gallagher is not a pure shooter and so wont ‘depend’ on DD to be the playmaker.

DD is not capable of ‘reading’ the all-over-the-offensive-zone’ waterbug style of Gallagher.

People underestimate the Role of Cole bulldozing himself down the wing(and setting the example and pace ffor Pacs) who picked up the ‘style’ and did the same on the other wing.. thus giving DD the ‘room’ to play his style. This line does not have that.. and so everyone on it suffers.. or Gallagher gets his goals by just plain self-reliant hardwork.

Either put Bourque and Pacioretty on with DD and show them shots of Cole. Tell Bourque to do what Cole did.. he can… maybe Moen can rotate there. Moen is a step down but he can ‘simulate’ that type of winger.

Put Gallagher with Plekanec and Gionta. It would be a kick-ass line. Not big, I grant you, but not timid either. Gallagher’s offensive zeal and determination would mean Plekanec would see more scoring opportuinities. And it would be a great line defensively. It would also be a deceptively skillful line.

So Bourque DD Pacs to play like Cole DD Pacs did.. up down; simple pedal to the metal skating for the wingers and DD freer.(Sub with Moen).
    Plekanec Gallagher Gionta.. good scorers good skaters no timidity good defense.

It just seems as if there is no understanding of the reasons for the underperformance of Pacs-DD .. or let me put it inversely. No understanding of the reasons for the excellent performance of Pacs and DD last year.

One benefit… Gallagher plays a ton with Plekanec/Gionta… good for HABS. DD.PACS.Bourque become a pure offense wanted from you line… good for HABS.

14. Mavid says:

Tomorrow should be interesting..the Leaf’s clinched a playoff spot handed to them by those pesky Sens..while they filled their building and booed their captain..and they say that Habs fans should be embarrassed…really? There is almost as may Leaf fans at work as there is Sens fans…should be fun day! I am guessing they will pull out the old “we are playing with rookies” excuse again

15. Propwash says:

I blame Don Cherry. Ever since he said Price was his favorite goalie, was when the downward spiral started happening.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

16. Mark C says:

Talking of buying out Price. Troll or just incredibly stupid?

17. LizardKing12 says:

I’m not sure what some people saw in Tinordi that would lead them to believe he is ready to play for the Habs going into the playoffs. In his first 4 games, against mediocre non-playoff/borderline playoff teams (BUF x 2, NJD, NYI), he was averaging around 11-12 minutes a game in a sheltered role and looked decent. The only two games he played against elite teams (BOS, PIT) he played 6:47 and 7:35 respectively. Clearly the coaching staff didn’t trust him to be on the ice against better teams and I’m sure there is good reason for that.

A lot of people seem to think he is this physical presence that will strike the fear of god into our opponents hearts. He may have been that way in junior, but right now he’s 6’6 but only 205 pounds, he’s lanky and lacks the strength to play that bruising physical game against men in the NHL. There is nothing that I saw from Tinordi that showed me he is ready to be that Chara like physical presence on our back end. What I saw is a kid who is progressing well, didn’t lack confidence and did the best he could for the level he is at right now. There is reason to be hopeful and he may be a great player for us in the recent future but that time is not now.

• durocher says:

We are faced with a relative proposition here — the question is not whether Tinordi is ready to be dominant; it is not whether he will be like Chara. The question is whether he has more to offer our D than Weber, who currently occupies the #6 slot on the blueline. In my view, that answer is a clear “yes.” He brings more of a physical presence than Weber on a blueline that is very soft, particularly with Emelin out. I’d rather give Tinordi the chance to play these three last games and see what improvement that makes, than maintain the status quo back there.

• LizardKing12 says:

He had 3 hits in 6 games, was playing an extremely sheltered role and couldn’t hack it against the only two good teams he faced. He didn’t show any more physical play than Weber to be quite honest. Yes he is tall but he is lanky as hell and clearly doesn’t have the strength to play d the way that Emelin does.

Management on this team isn’t stupid. They realize that the back end lacks a physical presence, it has been glaringly obvious since Emelin went down. If they thought that Tinordi was ready to step in and fill that role for the team they would’ve called him up. Obviously they evaluated him in his 6 game stint and realized he is not ready for the NHL.

18. Dr.Rex says:

Let’s get through this valley together fans.

Its these tough stretches that will show our integrity as supporters.

19. Cape Breton says:

I like the two Gs back together along with Ryder in practise today. Hopefully MT plays them next game. The trio was exceptonal during the good days which was not that long ago.

Another thing: Is it a coincidence: Since Bouque came back, we’ve been bad. And one more: Pax gets too much ice. He is sucking.

20. durocher says:

We should call up Tinordi ASAP. If Boston can scratch Lucic, surely we can scratch Moen. Insert Dumont, who actually plays like he cares; otherwise we are wasting his development and should send him back to the AHL. I also think any D that with Diaz and Weber is doomed to fail because of their small size.

Max-DD-Gally11
    Gally27-Pleks-Gio
    Prust-Eller-Ryder
    Bourque-Halpern-Dumont

Gorges-Subban
    Markov-Diaz
    Tinordi-Cube

21. HankHardball says:

So with Boston’s win over Florida today, the woeful Habs have officially lost 1st place in the Northeast Division for good.

The way they’re playing right now, next Saturday they’ll lose home ice advantage to the Leafs in the first round.

They may not win another 4 games for the rest of their year.

22. habzfan2003 says:

To the fans sarcastically cheering for Price when he makes an easy/routine save:

You’re the worst fans! You should be ashamed of yourselves… If I didn’t know any better, it’s almost as if you’re glad he’s struggling so badly and you must want him to fail… I hope he shuts your f***ing mouths come playoff time! Show some f***ing support for your goalie by’. I for one hope he doesn’t get run out of town…

23. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Usually a good sleep would take away the sting of a loss. But this is beyond a loss. What’s happening now seems to be something on a cosmic level. Like someone waved a magic wand and filled their legs with concrete. Are we all being over dramatic or does anybody else remember a team falling apart this quickly? I don’t buy the “our high tempo style has wore us down” excuse. Wore us down overnight? There are other teams that play a much higher tempo than us. Watch a Blackhawks game.

• Phil C says:

These games have been meaningless. They saw Emelin get hurt unnecessarily, now they want to make it to the post-season in one piece.

Once playoff hockey starts, they will be a different team again. Carey Price has me a little concerned, but he didn’t forget how to play goalie overnight, I think he’ll bring to the next level as well, especially with the team playing better in front of him.

24. jols101 says:

Watching the Rangers-Devils game this afternoon, I am not so sure I would give the Pens an easy 1st round win over the Rangers. They look like they are peaking at the right time and playing some great hockey. If Lundquist gets hot at the right time – look out. Rangers may also finish 7th and I would 100% rather play the Leafs then finish 2nd and play them. I think they will take out the Bruins if that match up happens.

25. HabFan in Edmonton says:

The debate on Carey Price is getting to be a little tiresome. Can we revisit after the playoffs ? Does anybody have any thoughts on who the Habs should take in the draft. I am pretty excited that they will have 3 of the first 36 or 37 picks (approx.)

• Loonie says:

Have a look at these guys via eliteprospects

Alexander Wennberg
      Curtis Lazar
      Kerby Rychel
      Adam Erne
      Anthony Mantha
      Jacob de la Rose

They all have size and skill and are projected to be drafted in the 20-40 range. Where the Habs may have as many as four picks.

26. Small_Town_Boy says:

Does anyone with a rational mind think that any other goalie in the NHL will take the Habs deep into the playoffs with the team they have right now?

Dat’s wha me tinks

27. Small_Town_Boy says:

You people would turn on Halak in a heart beat if he were still here!

You don’t remember what Price done in the playoffs in 2010 where his team let him down.

I Price gets traded then so be it. I’m sure he won’t whine about it. He probally would embrace it!

Another tender can take the heat for a small team that folds.

Dat’s wha me tinks

28. Max says:

Price is currently one of the worst starters in the NHL.He is grossly overpaid and is not doing anything to help the team win and is playing like a turd. I think this year’s playoffs will be his test.If he continues to play like a dog turd, then he should be bought out and sent on his way.The team can’t function with its highest paid player and biggest “star” sucking continuously.Too much money tied up for nothing.

• Loonie says:

The suggestion of buying him out is a complete disregard of his caliber of goaltending on a broad scale and his value around the NHL.

Typically even the most ferociously incompetent Price haters can acknowledge that trading him would return tremendous value to the Habs.

• Ton says:

why such an attack…….all he is saying is that if he continues to fail> do what most do………get rid of the problem…….know not easy to do this but if his trade value if as high as you say why would you not test the market to get a rid of a non producing asset?

• Loonie says:

No, he’s saying Price is a dog turd. And saying the team should buy him out is again a complete disregard for Price’s value and ability regardless of how poorly he’s played over the last half month.

• Ton says:

well no one deserves to be called a dog turd………price is a good human being and we all hope that he can live up to his expectations……..but its coming to an end………he’s 25 and were waiting for that goalie that can steel games, dominate, and quite frankly we haven’t seen it yet………I hope we do.

• Loonie says:

He’s 25. He has plenty of time to fulfill expectations.

• Loonie says:

Where was the attack there by the way?

• Max says:

I highly doubt that he would get as much in a trade as some people think he would.His ridiculous contract is huge turn off for most GMs me thinks.He’d be Luongoized.

• Loonie says:

The Habs would get a 1st, excellent roster player and blue chip prospect for Price.

Minimum.

TSN coach’s poll had him voted as the Vezina winner. Whether you like it or not that’s how highly regarded he is.

• Ton says:

UM! iF it come to it…..we would have lost our leverage……..look at what the habs got for Roy!!??

• aroma says:

I say “do it”. Price and Markov for Hall, Dubnyk and a prospect.

• Loonie says:

Times have changed since the Roy trade.

Roy’s value on the trade market was completely marginalized by poor decision making by Houle and Roy himself.

• mksness says:

Dubynyk? lol if you don’t like price and his style Dubnyk is just a bigger and slower version than price. watch some edmonton games. he’s not very good. his sv% is up their because the edmonton D is so weak that they give up a ton of shots helping him to keep that sv% higher than what it should really be

• mrhabby says:

Now one knows what he would fetch in a trade….

• Small_Town_Boy says:

And this is comming from someone who has a gravitar of that!

Dat’s wha me tinks

• mrhabby says:

Buy him out…..really dumb…lol.

• Max says:

Why dumb? Explain please.

• Loonie says:

It was already explained to you. Stop trolling.

• LizardKing12 says:

Really, you need an explanation for why buying out a valuable asset would be dumb? Losing Price without getting anything in return would leave this team far worse off than it is right now.

We would be way weaker in nets with no potential replacement in the system. There isn’t a single available UFA goalie that is better than Price other than maybe Backstrom and he will likely resign with the wild, not to mention he’s already 35 and has probably only 2-3 good years left. If you seriously think Budaj would be a better starter than Price than you are clueless. Budaj was a terrible starter and even he knows he isn’t starter material anymore otherwise he would’ve tested the market if he thought he could land a starting job somewhere.

• ont fan says:

Buy him out. Like he is Gomez on the market. Dumb isn’t the word for it!

• sheds88 says:

you would get rid of a 25 yr. old all-star goalie who has yet to hit his peak or play for a good team ? hmmmmm

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

Excellent trolling. You got your reactions.

29. Loonie says:

So it’s reasonable to say that the team has no confidence in Price but not to say that Price has no confidence in the team.

I think maybe I’ll go on a daily crusade every time the team surrenders a goal where I illogically point to a false insecure mentality that Price must have toward the players in front of him.

I’ll go into detail about how he can’t be square to shooters because it happens so often that passes get through areas they shouldn’t to wide open attackers.

I’ll explain that he gets beat on deflections and screens because if he tries to challenge or change position he knows that his defensemen won’t pick up the opposing forwards who are in position to get to a rebound.

I’ll essentially blame everything on the skaters in front of Price. And when I do it I’ll be doing what nearly everyone who’s critical of Price here is doing, only in reverse.

• mksness says:

is there a need to defend price on every goal either? he’s not playing well right now and he’s the teams highest paid player. people are going to be critical and should be.

• Loonie says:

This is certainly a time to be critical of Price. He isn’t playing confidently or aggressively and it’s causing some bad goals.

The goals he has absolutely no chance on are far outnumbering the goals he should be stopping though.

So why is he the centrepiece of the discussion? Because the trolls have come out to play, that’s why.

There are several people on HIO who have been fairly critical of Price but they happen to be overwhelmingly outnumbered by the Price-loathing pessimists.

• mksness says:

he’s the center piece of discussion because the goalie is always the last line of defence. he’s the easiest to pick on because a small mistake on his end will always result in a goal. I’ve never been sold on Price being an elite goalie, very good goalie but not elite, not just yet. i think he’ll bounce back just fine but the thing he has to do his part and stop the shots. He’s not being paid 4-5m a year. he’s being paid in the 6.5 area. with that type of commitment from the team he has to be one of the best players on the ice every night. the same will be true of subban when he signs his next stupid mega deal.

• Loonie says:

That’s fair, and when I say reasonable people have criticized Price I’m referring to people like you.

But Price needs to at the very least have some semblance of competent play in front of him. You wouldn’t expect him to be elite with the Avalanche would you?

• mksness says:

not at all. I was really hoping for the habs to make a big splash this year for a solid defence men. guess the deal wasn’t there to be made. I would love to have the type of defence that the kings had during their run or somethign similar. They made quick look much better than what he really is and i think the contract he signed will be an albatross long term for LA.

• Adidess says:

Here’s that word again, troll! Would you care to distinguish between those who never acknowledged Price’s talent and performances even in the best of times versus those who believe in his abilities but are left concerned with his subpar play of late?

The defense has been bad, yes. But there have been times in the past where defensive breakdowns didn’t automatically lead to a goal. Price can be a lot better than he is right now, so even those who like and believe in Price are allowed to be puzzled and/or disappointed…

Sure I would.

Max, The Dude, Jimmy9Toes, Storman are notable names among several others.

There’s a reason they’re called trolls. It’s because their comments are exclusively reserved for bashing the goaltender.

It isn’t a coincidence that they only show when ammunition has presented itself.

• mksness says:

you could add timo but in fairness he hates everyone equally

• Small_Town_Boy says:

I have your back Loonie!

Dat’s wha me tinks

• Danno says:

I remember Price went through a really terrible rash of games during pre-season in 2010. Everyone was asking the same questions they are asking now. He really stank for several games and looked like he was totally washed up. Then when the regular season started he was a completely different goalie. He told people to “chill” it’s just pre-season and from that point on was really solid and had his best stats so far in that season. I hope this similarly terrible stretch is the same deal and we’ll witness a big rebound as he psyches himself up for the playoffs.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

30. frontenac1 says:

One more week until Frontenac changes to his pPlayoff Cocktails amigos! Stayed tuned! Magic be. Comin”!

31. jimmy shaker says:

If the playoffs are a bust for Price and Co……I think MB seriously has to take a look at inquiring the services of Bernier from L.A. We have the picks to give up…. Sorry to ruffle the feathers of many on here, but let’s be real here folks…….every time the opposing team comes down the ice and takes a shot, we all cringe and hope the puck doesn’t go in. If we have no confidence in our tender, what do you think the players are thinking and not saying?

Just my opinion, sorry. I think Price is a great kid and should be better than what he is, but at what point do we stop the insanity. I hope he can shut us all up and put on a show in the dance this year, I honestly do, but at this point I don’t have the optimistic outlook to that happening.

Shaker out!

32. Danno says:

Maybe someone could explain why Josh Gorges is only minus one on the +/- stats for last night’s game but was on the ice for three of Washington’s goals. Yes, he was on the ice for Pacioretty’s goal, so he should be minus two, right?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

33. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Price is maybe the third biggest problem the Habs have after the terrible D-play and stagnant power play. BTW Gorges and others have sucked worse. Can people wait until after the playoffs to crucify Price? If he sucks in the playoffs, I will personally rent a bus, drive it to the Bell Centre with some friends, grab Price and throw him under it.

• mksness says:

i’m critical of price because he’s our highest paid player and he’s not playing like it. when you sign the 6.5 a year deal you need to perform. he’s been labeled as the best in the league so it’s time to step up and that mean playing like the best and covering for your D. Too many shots are beating him. The D can’t be blamed for everything either. the back door plays and breaks aways or horrible turn over in front of the net are on the D but price has to be better on the shots.

He’s capable of way more than he’s showing right now. i don’t want him to be great, just good/solid.

• habsgod says:

it’s his style he’s playing ,he’s on his knees to much goes down wayyy to early ,before the shot is even taken and when we are trying to stop the other team from forechecking and battling in the corners and they show price he’s on his knees why is he down ? then he’s up a pass comes out to the slot and he’s down on his knees again and the puck is past him.when you play that style you can’t stop shots you can’t get your legs out fast enough to stop shots,and if you do you can’t get back into postion to stop other shots because of on the knees style we need to hire a goaltender coach that will break price from this style it doesn’t work and is a diasater and it has been proven time and time agin theodore played that style and he was one of the worst goalies i have ever seen he gave up alot of weak and soft goals because he layed this way too ,and theodore didn’t amount to anythig and was overrated, when he was in junior hockey and they used to say that he was our goaltender of the future i used to say if he’s our future then we’re in deep trouble and i was right i’m not willing to give up on price i’ve watched him his whole career (when he used to play for the try cities americans and they’d come to regina to play the pats)and now my habs he has the stuff to be great but i’m getting worried about him. i think we might need a new voice as a goaltender coach price might have tuned out pierre grouxl ..so i think if brodeur retires we should offer him the job he’ll correct price,if not brodeur then maybe roy the best of all time. just my opinion

• mksness says:

his style is just fine. he’s positioning is off. It also appears that he is guessing sometimes. it’s hard to explain it but as a goalie when you’re feeling it you never guess and you’re always in the right spot.

brodeur as a coach would be the worst thing for price and his style. you can’t change his style, doing so would screw him up royally.

as for bad goals brodeur’s style has had it’s fair share of if only he went butterfly he would have topped it moments

• habsgod says:

no it wouldn’t i believe it would help him maybe not change it but brodeur could show him or give him tips and things to work on with him! brodeur played a hybrid style and is one of the best of all time he’d do wonders for price so would roy as a coach.

34. Ton says:

Survey really concerns me………….your last line of defense is goaltending…….we don’t have much confidence in him…….too bad another wasted 1st rounder only were paying this one 6.5 million dollars…….why us!

Yes (59%, 100 Votes)
    No (41%, 69 Votes)

• The Cat says:

Honestly, I dont know what he has that mesmerizes people so much. People talk of the last 4 games, as if he was lights out prior to that. All he does is square himself to the puck, if the puck changes trajectory he is *&^%ed. Nowhere near complete enough IMO. And its not my recent opinion either, Ive been saying that for a long time.

• ont fan says:

Why should the survey concern you? Who cares. Why does the 6.5m worry you? Trading him wouldn’t be a problem. You sure worry alot.

35. formerly known as the hc says:

How many of us actually thought the Habs would make the playoffs before the season started? MB said he would evaluate the team, and no doubt he is getting an eyeful right now. Sure the goaltending has been poor to say the least, but man, the whole team has pooped the bed lately. Not enough size, physicality, and talent on this team.

36. frontenac1 says:

Everybody still whining about the last few games?Relax amigos! The Mojo will return and Les Boys will go deep in the playoffs this year. Yes , they are that good. Saludos!

37. otter649 says:

The New Jersey Devils still have not passed on a first round draft pick & must in 2013 or 2014 as punishment for The Kovalchuk Signing hopefully they will this year so Habs first round draft pick will move up one place & not to mention moving up one slot of the three second round draft that Montreal owns……

38. habs-fan-84 says:

“trade Price, blah, blah, blah”

some of you need to give your head a shake. At least provide an alternative (who do you intend on replacing him with??).

Is Price playing bad right now? Absolutely! but you dont mark knee jerk reactions with a goalie who is 25 and has proven he can be am elite goalie in the past (he was terrific in his last playoff series) after a stretch of FOUR games.

Price is going through a rough patch no doubt, but you don’t make dumb decisions after 4 bad games. He’ll get over this, as will the team. These two days off are just what the doctor ordered.

Relax hypochondriac’s, take a deep breath, the boys will be fine and no doubt you clowns throwing this team under the bus now will be the first ones back on the bandwagon when they’ve won a game or two in the playoffs.

Cheers and GO HABS GO!!

• Loonie says:

I’ve been having a good laugh lately at those who say “he needs to make the big save”

When you ask these people what they want from their goalie all they say is what they don’t want from their goalie.

When you bring up Price’s good qualities they compare him to other goalies who they don’t watch or based on the opinions don’t know much about.

There’s zero logic to trading him with the idea of an upgrade in mind in my opinion. And the people who are suggesting the “upgrade” don’t seem to have a clue about the goalies who they feel would be an upgrade on Price.

• habs-fan-84 says:

the worst I read is “he needs to find a way to make that big save”. I don’t even know what this means….they’ll even say this after a re-directed tip in that NO goalie would have.

Again, there’s no argument, he’s been brutal the last few games but the worst is reading from the armchair goalies who’ve never actually played the position or worse don’t play the game period. Lastly, the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. I suggest habs fans actually watch hockey aside from just habs games.

• Ton says:

i played the position………I have watched them since 1967……I watch and listen to the experts………I take some of it in and some not..but I will say this………Roy was on antichambre this week and what he said was right on about Price…….. he has been very weak…..techically as well and out of position……..Roy said that’s been the biggest problem….he is not squaring himself up……….coupled with lost confidence its dog breakfast……..that comes from a goalier that was mentally strong and could rebound because all goalies go through this………the jury is on Price…..he is not mentally strong…….you saw it when the fans boo’ed. thank god there quiet for now……..

• Ton says:

Hope he can rebound but lets not label him an elite goalie………and at 25 he should be at the top of his game……….he is nothing more than an average goalie who achieved success in other leagues but has come not even close in the nhl. He has another 12 months…….I can intelligently say that if I was offered on the edmonton kids for him….Hall, Jones, or Eberle> absolutely I would go for it.

• RetroMikey says:

The Price is not right, I still have a big IF if he can out perform Reimer in the first round or even beyond the first round IF they beat Toronto, who are playing quietly great hockey under Carlyle.
      Price is not the only issue.
      Sister Plekanec and others on the team are too soft, we need to revamp this team next year with a major overhaul via trades or release them outright.
      When your best offensive player in Plekanec is not puttiing in offensive numbers and your best defenseman in Markov is not playing great at even strength, you figure it out.
      Yes, we surprised some in this strike shortened season, but would we still make the playoff in a regular 82 game season?
      I say no, we would have been better off to finish near last and grab another top 3 draft pick this year, a very good draft.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Skeptical says:

Couldn’t agree with you more – Shiloh

• habsgod says:

subban’s the best defenceman ,not markov ryder statically is our leading scorer not plekanec not worried about the draft retro because with timmins drafting we’ll find a really good player ,infact i think he’ll pick a better player at our spot than some of the teams that pick before us will.

• mrhabby says:

You can’t go ahead and just release players outright it makes no sense…you trade, send them down or buy them out. We have 1 buyout left…managers have to get something back.

39. Loonie says:

With the range the Habs are likely to be picking in here are some prospects who fit organizational needs that should be taken in the Habs’ area.

Alexander Wennberg

Anthony Mantha

Adam Erne

Curtis Lazar

Jacob de la Rose

**I picked these players because they fit into the 20-40 range and fit the model of size and skill**

And it doesn’t hurt that Marc Bergevin admittedly loves him his Swedes.

40. 25insight says:

We need Gallagher healthy and not too beat up when we get to the playoffs. We did not see him crash Holtby’s crease the way we are used to seeing him do throughout the entire season. Same goes for the rest of the team, we can’t afford to lose another key player. Playoffs are much more important and I would rather prepare for them in any way we can, even if that means dropping a few. I guarantee our Habs will show up in the first round. The first two weeks before the playoffs are meant for practice against the team you will most likely meet in the first round and preparing the system so that we can crush the other team from the get-go. I know Bergevin & Therrien are brewing something upstairs and getting everyone ready mentally for the first round. START YOUR PLAYOFF BEARS EARLY PEOPLE, I GOT A HEADSTART!!!

WE’RE IN THE DAMN PLAYOFFS!!! GO HABS GO!!!

41. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Two days off…hopefully MT can install some defensive system and make adjustments to the power play. Would like to see Chucky on right wing (a la Kovalev) for the power play. If teams overplay Markov and PK, he can move in and “roof it”. Plekanec is just not a threat shooting wise and Max is not a puck handler. Chucky can do it all.

• Sal from the Hammer says:

Good point DDO. Especially I like the Kovalev reference. Another Russian sniper. Chucky is that talented, and quicker, and, he’s got a rocket of a wrister for a young kid!.

42. Skeptical says:

In order to have a winning team all three elements has to be working. Defense, Goal Tending, Offense. Right now I believe our problem lies with either the Defense or Goal tending or Both. Until we make changes to improve these areas. This team is going nowhere.

Teams that has been beating us are better in those two areas. We’re out shooting teams 35-15 and getting beat 4-1 or what ever. Shouldn’t that tell the Coaches and Management something.

Nothing wrong with our offense. It’s like I said Defense, Goal tending or Both.

• PatMac says:

I don’t believe the Canadiens’ problem is goaltending. Price is an elite goalie and Budaj is more than capable as a steady backup. The problem is an undersized team that can’t defend against the bigger and stronger teams in the league. In order to win, all five skaters need to be completely committed to defensive zone coverage with no errors and our transition game needs to be working. Plus, we need to get a couple of powerplay goals every game.

Teams come across the Habs blueline unimpeded and when they gain the zone they crash the net because our defence can’t stop them. No wonder the goals against are so high. Tretiak in his prime wouldn’t fair any better than Price under these conditions.

We are solid in nets. Its the undersized forward lines and defence pairings that need to be upgraded.

• Ton says:

how can you say he is an elite goalie……..as much as were all pulling for him….he is nothing more than average…….ask canadians if they want him representing there country next year! not playing like this…………….

• ont fan says:

So I’m talking hockey this morning with Red Wing and Leaf fans. I say ” What do you think about Price these days?’ They say” haven’t been paying attention, we have our own problems. We hope he’s a sieve.” That’s what Canadians think of Price.

• PatMac says:

If I refer to Price as elite, or very good or solid, it really doesn’t matter. The problem is not Price. It’s an undersized team that can’t defend against the bigger and stronger teams.

• Ton says:

valid but price’s overall performance in games and especially in the first five minutes of a game can be very deflating for a team…………one cannot overlook this. man how did you feel has a fan after the first 5 minutes……..its over……not again……..oh no……..well how the players feel when he has looked very very weak!

• SteveMac says:

Have to agree. To win in the NHL, a top goalie is a must. 29th and 33rd in GAA and SP isn’t even close to what’s required. We’re playing soft on the puck, our work rate and compete level is off since clinching playoffs, Emelin is a bigger loss than most realize,….but 75 % of the ailment is between the pipes.

We’ll see how veteran leadership and coaching skill can address the first set of factors. And lets hope Price can find his A-game. He seems to respond to pressure…lots of that coming.

• oldandslo says:

Too simplistic. Hockey is primarily a game of one on one battles. If you can’t win those battles – defence,offence, and goaltending fall like dominoes. Habs are weak on the puck and have been so for years. Occasionally they cling to a system that temporarily mitigates this handicap but in the end they get stomped. Until the lineup is chock full of players who are big or play big they will dance this dance every season.

Hopefully this draft the Habs go for talent with size and/or grit in the players they choose but also pick up at least one goaltender. Even with a goalie pick I would argue that it would be advantageous to also try to acquire a young goaltender capable of eventually challenging for a #1 spot in the NHL, to play with the Bulldogs next season. It’s not that I am giving up on Price. Just hedging my bets is all. The flip side is that it helps the development of the prospects if they are learning the game in a winning environment. Good goaltending is a part of that and IMHHO it’s better to have a young up and comer than an old war horse who’s seen it all on the farm, although having both is ideal.

I think of Ottawa and to a lesser extent Toronto who have more than one young prospect to pin their hopes on. As well, goaltending seems to produce one hit wonders who just happen to get hot at the right time.

I still think Brodeur is one of the best if not the best goaltender of the modern era. His hybrid style and puck handling skills were a lethal combo, so much so that rules changed because of it. Yet, he was also the backbone of a brutally stingy defensive system. I was hoping that Price would emulate Brodeur more but in retrospect loathe the idea of the Habs emulating the Devils boring style of play. I’ve had enough of the Count and his System for one lifetime.

However, the Habs have always been a successful team in the defensive zone and playing two-way hockey, even when they were playing a firebrand style. To get to this peak, which we’ve seen more than a glimpse of this season, the Habs will have to continue on their trajectory and stay the course.

That and practice. And lots of mental conditioning.

• Loonie says:

Ottawa stumbled onto their good goaltending problem Dave. They traded for Bishop, drafted Lehner and traded for and signed Anderson.

They did all of that because they didn’t have a solution in goal. That shouldn’t really change your relevant opinion about them but I think it’s worth considering when the discussion turns to how this team plans for the future.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I agree that in this draft they look for size, grit and of course talent. That combination is not easy to find and expensive to trade for. What do you guys who follow the QMJHL think of Samuel Morin ? Graig Button has him at 32, earlier in the year he was at 75. A big kid 6’6″ who can really handle himself (saw a couple youtube videos). Seems like a good use of one of our 2nd round picks if they can get him there. We need to get bigger on defense.

• habsgod says:

hard habits i said a similar thing earlier on another thread …i agree 100% we need to draft another goalie it’ll push price to perform his best and he’ll have that sense of urgency not complency that has crept into his game,he knows he’s #1 and there’s nobody here to push him,that’s why draftin a young in the 1st round will be an eye opener to him and it’ll bring the best out of him

44. adamkennelly says:

want to know the problem with this team? LOFT…lack of F-ng talent. Team exceeded expectations for most the year – but it’s finally caught up. Look at those lines at practice…

looks a lot like 3 top 6 forwards (Plek, Pax, Gio) – a bunch of decent 3rd liners and some useless scrubs on the 4th line – who don’t hit and can’t fight…I know G and G have talent but they are rookies, can’t be expected to carry the team.

on the back end you have PK and then a bunch of decent 5th and 6th D-men – apologies to Markov who still has use on the PP but is pretty terrible outside of that.

I am afraid this team is going to get slaughtered in the playoffs…

45. Sal from the Hammer says:

I’ve been a supporter of Price many a time over the years, but, given his struggles of late, and his seeming inability to right the ship thus far, I have to ask, is MB going to be able to deal him with his current contract, $6 mil per, 6 years I believe? Assuming of course, that he continues his funk into a quick playoff exit.

• Loonie says:

Why would you trade a goalie after four seemingly bad games?

This isn’t exactly a year long or longer slump.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Exactly, no way MB is dealing Price and there was no way he was going to trade Subban during his hold out. MB is too smart for that.

• hab fan in leaf jungle says:

You trade him because the regular season doesn’t matter s-hit. The Stanley Cup is all that matters and this kid is not a Cup-winning goalie. Miller is a Cup-winning goalie even though he has no Cup. He carries the entire team on his back as does Rinne or the old Kiprusoff or Nabakov or Vokoun.

• Sal from the Hammer says:

Cause maybe it’s time to cut bait…

Based on……..?

• Sal from the Hammer says:

He’s not a 19 year old rookie anymore. I know he’s still young, and I’m going to hear it for this, but, he can’t keep going into confidence funks, without the ability to pull HIMSELF out of them, every couple of seasons. When is he a veteran goalie who can respond to the necessity of giving his team a chance to win by drawing on his experience? He has to say I’ve been in this league long enough to know what I need to do to right my game! No one is arguing that he isn’t tremendously gifted, but, as gifted as he obviously is he goes into these funks that you would expect of a younger, less experienced goalie.

• Loonie says:

So what’s an acceptable level of consistency? Have you checked up on how well he rebounds after stretches like this? Stretches that every other excellent goalie goes through from time to time too by the way.

He does need to get out of this funk. But I suppose I’m different in that I’m not terribly concerned about him long term. I guess I’m not concerned because he’s been in this situation before and came out of it stronger.

• Sal from the Hammer says:

Loonie, I hear what you are saying. With no goalies in the pipeline, except maybe Tokasrsky in Hamilton, the Habs have put a lot of the eggs in the Price basket, so all I’m saying is, and I believe you and I have debated Price earlier this year when I defended him for his character and his leadership, and his love for Mtl. despite it being one of the hardest places to play in pro sports, at what point do the Habs decide/conclude that they might be able to get a quality return for him now, rather than wait until it’s too late? I just think that by now, Carey should be stable and experienced enough, to be able to pull his game together with some tweaking from the goalie coaches of course. I mean, his stats lately eg. these last few games, speak for themselves, and, even though many experienced goalies have ups and downs, they don’t play for the Habs. Maybe he can’t handle the pressure anymore, and, it’s time to evaluate the goalie situation. Mtl has not drafted a goalie in a while, so they NEED Carey to be there when they NEED him. If he’s not, then time is a wasting…

• Loonie says:

He’s 25 years old and has had two brilliant seasons out of five. Surely not consistent enough but in my opinion and hopefully Bergevin’s a sign of things to come.

He’s a player who’s providing a long term answer at his position, not a player who’s forcing the team to re-evaluate.

Just my opinion.

• Sal from the Hammer says:

I guess I’m feeling sorry for myself. There’s nothing ,when it comes to the Habs, (Believe it or not I have a life, I’m just a 59 yr. old Hab addicted fan) I want more, than to have Carey Price as a established, stable, reliable goalie they can count on for years to come. This year, when his name came up as the number one choice for the Sochi Olympics I was proud as a papa. Having said that, he seems to have this tendency to take his gifts out for a bender, and, by now I would have hoped that he could bounce back quicker. Will he bounce back? Of course. But, we need him NOW! Not next year. So I’m just disappointed that a goalie like Reimer, and maybe because the weight of the pressure hasn’t got to him yet, or he’s too thick for that, (it could be to his advantage), can make 49 saves, steal a game, and make Laff fans all believe they are Cup contenders, while Carey, who has been around significantly longer, struggles to the point where it looks like, even his teammates have lost confidence in him. If this is not the year for the Habs, I get that, but, if it is not the year for the Habs because Carey continues to struggle, up to and including the playoffs, that’s different. If he can’t do it now, with his experience, then how much further slack does he get? The question needs to be asked…

• Loonie says:

You sure he hasn’t lost confidence in his teammates?

• Sal from the Hammer says:

I sincerely hope your right Loonie.

BTW, it’s hard to take a guy seriously whose handle is Loonie. But, your insight belies your nickname. So, I checked your profile, Tom. Thanks for the healthy debate. I got to go now, I got a life you know…NOT!

• Sal from the Hammer says:

Why does my reply to Loonie, I hit the reply under Loonie’s reply to my comment, wind up looking like I am replying to Hab Fan? This site is frustrating to use…sorry just had to be said, I’m not a tech guy.

• Adidess says:

Price is 25 and his talents/abilities are not in question, regardless of what you read on this site. Now has he been good recently? No, he’s been awful, and in fact has played somewhat below his talent level this year overall.

It is more likely that something is going on with him than this is really the best he can play. Even those who hate Price will admit that is really not the level of performance they’re used to picking apart. The defense has been terrible, but Price is also making the haters’ life easy right now.

But other teams have professional scouts who can look past a bad stretch of games. If anything, teams would line up to take him and offer very good return to us. How many teams have kicked the tires on Luongo at his age and with that contract? Yes, Luongo is more proven, but Price is much younger with a more palatable contract.

I think it’s more of a question whether MB should trade him than whether he would find dance partners.

Imagine Price, the inner cowboy, going to Calgary… Imagine Price with Tampa Bay…

46. centre_hice says:

Hi guys first time posting, I have been reading all your posts for some time now and I have to say a lot of you guys know your Hockey! I’ve coached hockey for many years now from Adam to Batam and what our Habs are doing is called “Don’t Get Hurt before
    the Playoffs” why would anybody want to put them self in harms way just before the playoffs? Home ice advantage is no longer important, being ALL healthy for the playoffs!

• AndyF says:

Great first post, centre_hice! I agree that they have less energy. An example is Gallagher is going to the net a little less. Was probably told by MT to save his body for the playoffs.

Hey, I’m not in denial, either. For sure the goalies aren’t doing it on purpose to let in 5 goals on 7 shots and stuff like that. And the D looks a bit tired.

But I, too, get the impression that MT is tolerating a bit of on-ice rest that the players are taking.

47. Dirtsteed says:

The problem with Price right now is that as big as he is, he plays small. His movements are efficient but slow. That’s why he got beat five hole a couple of times yesterday and in prior games. His reaction time is below average at best that’s why he gets beat on shots in the slot. Say what you want about the guy being open, but I watched Rask today stop guys that were wide open because his legs and hands are quick (Rask is the same size as Price).

I hate to say it because I have always supported Price, but when we were winning he was at best satisfactory. People on this site were calling for his head at that point. He could have raised his game but unfortunately he went the other way. What’s worse is that this reminds me of the year when Halak took over.

We can’t have our goalie losing his confidence every two or three years. Unfortunately this time no one is here to back fill him.

• Bogie Man says:

My son is a goalie, not that this matters too much but I have him working with some of the best goalie coaches I can find. The issue from what I see and from what I hear from people who know the position is that with Price it is that he plays too relaxed. Technically he is near perfect almost too perfect because when he is technically on he expects the puck to hit him. When he needs to work for a save it is not that simple. He expects to not have to work for a save. He needs to bear down like the rest of the team and pick up his sense of urgency and realise that not every shot is going to hit him. Being relaxed is great for a goalie under pressure but being relaxed also means that sometime you need to wake up and create some sense of urgency to play well.

• hab fan in leaf jungle says:

There is no point to intellectualizing Price’s problems. He isn’t the ONE. He chokes at the most important times. That is not what wins you Cups in the NHL. This team could have played flawless hockey but Price’s crappy play requires the team to give up ZERO shots on goal in an entire game and that is not going to happen. He gives up goals on just about every one of the first few shots. He is choking big time and laughing all the way to the bank.

• Adidess says:

I agree with this assessment. He doesn’t like to scramble or pokecheck, as if he never learned to do those things or doesn’t feel comfortable making them key tools in his repertoire.

But since he’s had success with economy of movement throughout his career, it’s understandable. Maybe he got too defined by that style of play. Teams are throwing everything at the net right now, hoping to catch him not square or somewhat distracted.

• Sal from the Hammer says:

Dirt I’m seeing the same in Price’s play as you. He is deep, he makes himself smaller instead of staying high and square and making players beat him with perfect shots. The second Brower goal was a perfect example, he was too deep, made himself smaller, and got beat on an angle. He is reacting slowly to cross crease situations, and, he either overshoots the far post, or, doesn’t come across far enough to make the save. He’s got to be frustrated, because he flops around when he plays that way.

• habsgod says:

he plays to much on his knees as well he goes down wayyy to early in the 2 great seasons he had he stood up more and made shooters beat him,with shots that no goalie would stop,but he know started playing this down to early and on your knees style and it’s a disater and it’s a style that doesn’t work jose theodore played that way too and he never amounted to anything.

48. B says:

Collberg did not play last night, healthy scratch? He’s playing this afternoon.

–Go Habs Go!–

49. Loonie says:

Problems.

1. 9 powerplay goals against in the last five games. It might be time to make some adjustments to the penalty kill. Namely putting somebody on the ice who can stop a cross crease pass or clear traffic in front.

2. Two first period goals in the last five games. This is also a bit of a problem. Solutions? Maybe the fourth line doesn’t touch the ice until we’ve scored a goal, and maybe it’s time to roll three lines in succession until a goal’s been put up on the board. Might be a better approach than Plekanec’s line – Desharnais’ line – Halpern’s line – Plekanec’s line – Desharnais’ line – Eller’s line and then a repeat of that.

3. Michel Therrien doesn’t like to match lines. Maybe it’s time to start matching lines. Perhaps Subban and Bouillon need to be put back together and matched up with the opposing teams’ top lines. Gorges has been on the ice for twelve of the oppositions’ 25 goals in the last five games and had a direct hand in three of Washington’s five goals last night.

Just a bird’s eye view from a pissed off fan.

• habs001 says:

The pk has to be fixed as it will be very difficult to win in the playoffs with a poor pk unless the pp scores at a very high rate and that is very unlikely…

• H.Upmann says:

Got 99 problems but a goon aint one…

• Habilis says:

1. Yep, the pk since Emelin went down has been dreadful. Personally, I think the slack needs to be picked up by guys like Gorges and Cube, and I do think that they will both up their level in the playoffs. I know they can’t clear the crease like Emelin can, but they need to do more than they have been doing, that’s for sure.

2. Yep. I like your solution. I don’t think that the 4th line has been an outright disaster, they have generated a few PP’s. But those don’t seem to be helping us. Either way, the kid line should be getting more ice, IMO. Roll the top 3 and get some chances.

3. I don’t know what the solution is on this one. I don’t think it gets better until the Habs, as a whole, start winning the puck battles that they won in the first 40 games. I think, as discussed by others below, that MT will have to go with Markov-Subban for 30 minutes a game in the playoffs. Now though? Just don’t overplay Markov. In fact, I’d love to see him sit out a game or two.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Basically all of our concerns have become reality…Price not playing well, penalty kill poor, power play stagnant, small forwards and D faltering. Many of us have thought that Gorges is overrated…Markov’s fatigue and Emelin’s injury have exposed him.

• Danno says:

You are right about Gorges being on the ice for three of the Caps five goals last night. So why is he only minus one on the +/- column? http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/boxscore.htm?id=2012020662

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

50. habs001 says:

Not sure who would be a good match up for the Habs in the playoffs..Probably Boston but slim odds on that…Leafs would not be a good match up as they are 3rd in pk and 13th in pp …and they have too many forwards that are scoring this year and forwards who may not be scoring at a high level this year but scored close to 30 goals in previous years…Teams that have scoring would be a disaster for the Habs…I know posters will disagree but i rather have the Habs play the Rangers…

51. habsfan0 says:

Boston wins,Habs now in 4th.

Bruins’ remaining schedule:Philadelphia,Tampa,Washington,Ottawa.

Save for the Tampa game,and possibly Philly,not an easy schedule to close out the season.

If Habs can get their act straightened out over the last week,they’re still a good bet to finish 2nd.

• Trisomy 21 says:

2 of their last 4 games are against teams in the bottom 10 in the league. I don’t feel very confident that the habs can finish ahead of them

• habsfan0 says:

But 2 of their last 4 games are against teams who,as of now,haven’t clinched a playoff spot as yet(Washington & Ottawa) and who may be very desperate when the Bruins play them.

• Adidess says:

It’s officially out of our control now (even if we win our last 3, Boston gets 2nd if they win their games).

Honestly, not sure it matters all that much right now. The way we’re playing, we’d not fare differently playing the Islanders versus the Leafs. In fact, I’m thinking playing the Leafs might generate extra emotion that makes us play better than we would against the Isles.

And hearing Leafs fans pray that they get us in the playoffs is starting to get to me. At this point, I don’t mind the hyped matchup against the Leafs. Sports is entertainment. It’s going to be crazy and fun, bring it on. Hopefully, our recent playoff experience still counts for something. For the rest, none of these two teams is likely to get anywhere near the Cup.

52. Maritime Ron says:

Sorry if I’m not ready to join those throwing a shovel of dirt on their lowered Habs coffin just yet.

This was supposed to be an “Evaluation Year” as all the experts picked us to finish between 12th-14th. It would be interesting to note who on these threads who predicted the Habs for post season play.
    My guess would be no one!

That said, why can’t we just enjoy the ride?
    Enjoy the surprises of AG/BG/Prust and the emergence of potential Norris and Olympic Team Canada candidate Subban.

Don’t think for 1 moment our new management team doesn’t know what’s going on.
    Between Bergevin, Dudley, Carrier, Mellanby, and Lapointe, they have 4539 games of NHL experience between them covering over 4 decades with some Cup rings sprinkled amongst them.
    These guys played with grit and heart.
    Do you believe for 1 second they don’t know who they want moving forward and who is cheating?

At the end of the year, we’ll find out who played hurt (bet on Gorges-Markov-Prust-Max-Markov-Bouillon) then the management team will have decisions to make.

You can bet on 1 thing-we’ll get bigger and tougher and don’t be surprised if Edmonton becomes a trading partner and is not a landing place for Markov-Moen.
    Smart money would also have Gionta and his contract moved out and let the young guys take the leadership roles.
    It’s time to turn the page and move forward.
    Go get one of Regehr or Scuderi.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Agreed. For MB this has been an evaluation year above all. Making the playoffs has been a huge plus as it will enable MB to further evaluate what he really has. Whatever happens, this team is only getting better in the future…

• Maritime Ron says:

Hi DDO

Making the playoffs is huge. That’s the time the floaters and pretenders are separated from the real gut guys.
        We’ll see how it all works out, but these playoffs are a huge bonus for the young guys

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Good post, no question Mactavish will be making changes in Edmonton and they are definitely looking for grit (Moen ? , although he is a question mark right now) and some smarts on defence. Mactavish will be under big pressure in Edmonton as the fan base was extremely ticked they are going back to same old, same old running the ship. Kevin Lowe was embarrassing in the press conference. There is absolutely no doubt they will be making changes, maybe the Habs can steal Taylor Hall (OK I will stop dreaming).

• aroma says:

I think that’s the team the Habs should be making trades with. They have tons of talent at forward as we all know and need to start winning and competing in the playoffs. I’m thinking that a Taylor Hall or other great young forward could be had. Lessee, what potentially valuable assets can the Habs trade? Methinks Desharnais, Price and Markov for starters (Bourque will fetch nothing). In return, an excellent young forward, and inexpensive goalie and d’man. Galchenyuk moves to center, there would be one less Smurf on the ice, and a new forward who knows how to score. Let Markov continue his downward slide in the West.

That said, MB will likely move Eller or Plekanec rather than moving the diminutive, ineffectual local “hero”. Those pining to lose Gorges should perhaps think again; he’s still young, everyone looks bad right now, and it’s the first blip since he’s been with the team. Still a keeper.

• habsgod says:

i’d rather have jordan eberle he’s the best all around player on that team and he’s a clutch scorer that has a knack for scoring huge goals i think mb could fleece mactavish too and get him for a song.

• Maritime Ron says:

Hi HB in E

I only mentioned Moen to see if we could ever move him and his contract for a 5th or 6th choice. The young Oilers D could really use a Markov and what he could bring for 1 year. If we could rid ourselves of those Cap hits, we could take a serious run after Regeher or Scuderi and that’s IF they would ever want to play here….

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Hi Maritime Ron

What you say makes a lot of sense. There is no question the Oilers will be looking to add grit, they feel their talented but small players get run way too much. Mactavish will be making changes, you can count on it.

• FormalWare says:

How’s this for a stratagem? Trade Pleks and Kaberle to Edmonton for Horcoff, his albatross contract, and a suitable draft pick. Habs turn around and buy out Horcoff; suddenly, our centres line up beautifully!

With the cap space just cleared, Habs sign: 1) a gritty forward with secondary scoring upside, and 2) a reliable, stay-at-home D-man.

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

• habsgod says:

53. Sportfan says:

Sports for me this week have sucked

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

54. Small_Town_Boy says:

WTF is up with the Pics of Carey Price?

Maybe Price should start showing is new emotional attitude by rapping his stick around the Heads of Mike Boone & Stu Cowan!

Dat’s wha me tinks

55. rhino514 says:

Questions:

1) Is the slump mostly mental due to tiredeness and will the team be ready for the playoffs?
    2) do you think the team´s slump/ adversity now will help them, hurt them, or have no effect in the playoffs?
    3) Do you have confidence in Therrien and the other coaches to respond appropriately to the current situation?
    4) What player is most likely to surprise in a positive way in the playoffs?
    5) What player is most likely to be invisible?

• The Jackal says:

1) I think it is due mostly to lack of intensity – they need to go back to their game and win puck battles
      2) It will help them if they turn the page and get on a roll
      3) I have confidence they will respond to the challenges ahead.
      4) Price will surprise us, Moen will step up
      5) Drewiske and in a good way.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• avi says:

1) Mental but also physical. Unfortunately many of our best players are too small.
      2)Adversity only helps if you respond in a positive way…this we shall see in the next three games.
      3)Yes.
      4)Eller
      5)Moen and Desharnais…neck and neck race.

56. Adidess says:

Am I the only one who likes seeing PK with Markov? Markov is a shell of himself physically right now but he’s still plenty smart.

This way, we definitely know who our first D pairing really is. We’re going to play both of them heavy minutes anyway, why not have them play those minutes together?

Gorges and Bouillon need to be out there less than 20 mns, regardless of whom they’re playing with. Diaz can eat up some minutes in all situations (pp, pk) to allow that happen.

I also trust that PK and Markov are intelligent enough to figure out what the opposition is doing to them and counter it, if they are out there long enough together, not just on the PP.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

No choice…Gorges has not being doing the job. If you are going to go down, go down with your best. That being said they need to give Markov a rest for the playoffs. Next season, Habs need to go find another top 2 D-man.

• Bill says:

Absolutely. In the playoffs, go with Subban and Markov for half the game. Subban can cover for Markov’s lost speed and mobility, and together they will give the Habs half a game of solid D and offensive potential.

I also like Gorges and Diaz and Bouillon and Weber. I think it’s the best they can do right now.

Why is Prust skating with the scratches though?

Full Breezer 4 Life

• B says:

Subban and Markov are both risk takers, It may be better at even strength to pair them with solid stay at home defensive types.

–Go Habs Go!–

• alfieturcotte says:

The difference being that one of them can skate and the other has lost the step, which makes him a huge liability when he takes risks. Markov needs to alter his game and recognize that he is a shadow of the player he used to be.

• Adidess says:

True, but they’re also puck-possession guys who will be able to control the play more, which may mean less possession for the opposition.

I also think that because they’re both good at moving the puck, they might be able to take less risks knowing the other guy can do as much with the puck in difficult situations that one can. Very likely that MT will preach safer play as well (which could be both a good thing and a bad thing).

57. Danno says:

Here’s a question to all goalies, ex-goalies & self-proclaimed goalie experts out there:

What aspect of Price’s game needs to be worked on the most?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Bill says:

The overwhelming consensus is that he should Make Sure No Goals Are Scored. Just, like, stop the puck no matter what.

Ovechkin all alone in the slot? Stop it. Deflected shot through a screen. Just stop it. Backstrom unmolested in the crease taking a perfect cross-crease pass? Stop that too.

Apparently it’s pretty simple.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Small_Town_Boy says:

The self-proclaimed goalie experts here think that no other NHL goalie goes to his knees to stop pucks only Carey Price!

Dat’s wha me tinks

• Ozmodiar says:

I noticed that he’s sliding a bit too much, not staying centered in the net. Over-committing, if you will. I’m not an expert, but this sentiment was echoed by one of the experts on L’AC. :)

• habsgod says:

quit going down way to early and playing on his knees so much he goes before the shots even taken he has to stand up more in the years where he has had his best seasons he was standing up more he’s a big goaltender and when he’s standing up there’s no room to shoot on him and pick corners because he’s down early , when he stands up more he’s very hard to score on he leaves nothing for guys to shoot at and the shots that beat him would beat any goaltender.

58. Prairienewf says:

Need to focus on Defence yes, but also speed, creativity, and finishing in offensive zone.

59. habsfan0 says:

I wonder who will get the bulk of the work over the last 3 games, Price or Budaj?

Probably Price, but Budaj should start at least one game,to give him some work before the playoffs start,in case he’s needed.

60. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Or is the first tiebreak that ROW stat? Because we lead them on that

61. Ghosts of the Forum says:

If we tie the Bruins for the divison (presuming the wins are also the same, as they are now [which assumes Boston holds on to beat Florida]), is the next tiebreak season series? Because we’d win that

• Habilis says:

First tiebreak during the season is games played, so they will take first with a win today.

The first tiebreak once everyone has played 48 games is the ROW stat, then head-to head, then goal differential.

62. Say Ash says:

Seven more games. Enjoy it.

63. FunkyCrabChairNF says:

The good news? Habs handily outmatched the Caps in the faceoff circle last night. See how critical THAT was?

DISCLAIMER: I’m not refuting faceoffs are important, but I don’t know if they have a huge influence on the outcome. At least it doesn’t seem so this year with this team, both ways.

64. habzfan2003 says:

Looks like Boston will retake division lead today.. Barring a Panther’s miracle…. Yeah… Riiiiight!

65. FunkyCrabChairNF says:

I have been cheering for the guy quite vocally, but it is still a sad thing that Yannick Weber has been our best defenseman over the last 3 games.

P.K. has not looked bad, but has been stifled. On a related note, Weber and Diaz should be moved to the first power play unit against Toronto if for no other reason than to give a different look. Teams have put a solid wedge between Markov / Subban and the goalkeeper. Oh, and they can rarely enter the zone cleanly.

66. EastCoastHab says:

On the road? Time to build team spirit? Let the boys out in Winnipeg this week, let them get hammered, start a bar fight, pick up for each other….build some team spirit!
    A good sh$t knocking between friends can sometimes do wonders, and by the way the boys have been playing the last week or so it couldn’t hurt.

67. Sportfan says:

Lol did they give the jerseys off their backs like last season? If they did how awkward was that.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Some of them were probably dry…(just kidding) ;)

68. HabsSuck says:

Keep Kaberle, buy out Price. Who’s with me?

• Danno says:

The playoffs are going to decide many things.

Just stay tuned…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

You also probably thought the Habs should have traded Subban for Couturier when he was holding out. A little patience can go a long way sometimes.

• habsfan0 says:

I’ve always maintained CP is not a “money goalie”.

However,he’s still young enough that I would definitely not give up on him,just yet.

Before trading him,or buying I’m out, I would advocate a change in goaltender coach.
      Price is way too comfortable with Pierre Groulx. Price’s problems,IMHO,are mainly between his ears,and Groulx has shown he is not capable of changing Price’s attitude(or goalie stance)for quite awhile now. Patrick Roy has noted that Price isn’t “square with the shooter” which has led to a number of easy goals. Given Roy’s pedigree and his fiery personality, I think he would be the ideal candidate to be Price’s goalie coach and light a fire under him.

• habsgod says:

i think you had better put the crack pipe down kaberle is done …good riddance !

69. HabsSuck says:

Price Sucks, Habs Suck, Hockey is dead to me.

70. The Jackal says:

I knew I should have eaten waffles instead of chocolate croissants this morning.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

71. Danno says:

Toast

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

72. John Q Public says:

Butter

73. Ton says:

I think that the time has come….price has been around for 5 to 6 years………the jury will be out on him………….the next 12 months will dictate his future in montreal………if he makes it >its because he is stopping pucks……..that’s what he is paid to do! Bs stuff about a goalie peaking at 30 for Dryden retired at 30 and do rather well before this…..many will say he had a power house……….habs did not make the playoffs in 1970 and dryden won them the cup in 71 and 73! that was a goaltender…..

74. habsgod says:

and roy had 2 cups by that age as well

75. Ton says:

remember that 56 shot performance vs the rangers…….how old was he and how far away from this so called peak for goalies…………10 years

76. LizardKing12 says:

Do you honestly believe that any version of the Canadiens that Price has played on has had a realistic chance of competing for the cup? Roy didn’t play behind the Habs teams of the 70s but there were a lot of talented players on his teams and there was an excellent balance of skill and grit which nowadays we sorely lack.

77. Max says:

Siberian 15th league.

78. Ton says:

the 86 team was not even close to being considered a contender……….the 93 team as well………roy was stellar……he won them cup number 1 , and Roy/Muller were the other keys to the 93 cups………..

79. LizardKing12 says:

Can’t argue with that. It has definitely been a long time since the habs have had a good balance of size grit and skill on the back end.

I understand why people would want to call up Tinordi. Since emelin went down it became glaringly obvious that there is zero physicality on our back end. Unfortunately nothing Tinordi did in his 6 game stint with the Habs suggests that he would bring much physicality to the team. I honestly believe that if Bergevin and Therrien thought Tinordi could play a regular shift and play physical he would’ve already been called up.

80. HabFab says:

Better fighter then Tinordi, who unfortunately is expected because of his size to be something he is not.

81. Mr. Biter says:

Nice take down and flurry of punches.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

82. Mr. Biter says:

Agree Tinordi is not ready and also agree with benching Moen.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

83. Danno says:

Excellent!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

84. Bill says:

Disagree with a few things – the slump is not mainly because of poor goaltending, rather it is the other way around – but agree with the gist.

Full Breezer 4 Life

85. rhino514 says:

I´d rather Spain win

86. olematelot says:

Sickning!

Reading this comment is like peering into a schizoid acid head’s nightmare.